Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of trend O Lefren. That is a trending title courtesy of Maniche in reference to the chemical from over the counter Colden sin Its medications that is supposedly a placebo. Uh and the cursed placebo episode that we did and then everybody involved got sick. Damn you the placebo or no cbo for infecting my brain with your inception illness. I am Jack, and I'm thrilled to be joined in our second seat by the wonderful, the talented Joel Money.
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 3: How you doing?
Speaker 4: We had some fun trends today. I'm excited.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we do. So.
Speaker 1: First off, some fun, some fun stuff is just Mitch McConnell, continuing to reveal himself to be a non playable character in NPC, froze mid sentence while delivering an answer to a question. This last time he froze for twenty seconds. This time it was for thirty seconds. I was a smaller gaggle. It was in Kentucky. And uh yeah it's it's either he's a non playable character or he is very.
Speaker 3: Old, just very just.
Speaker 4: Very very old.
Speaker 3: Oh he looks old.
Speaker 1: This man looks old. Anyways, he like got walked off and then they came back.
Speaker 3: And we're like, he's talking to his doctors. I think he's good. It should be. It should be.
Speaker 1: Back up in Adam soon enough, folks.
Speaker 3: But it's it's grim. It is grim as hell.
Speaker 1: It's just a weird struck, rual quirk of our political system where the incumbents have a massive advantage and people like power and.
Speaker 3: So uh, this shit just keeps on and should.
Speaker 2: Be weird to be his staff just puppeting him through the motions at this point in time. But Republicans have a long history of doing this.
Speaker 4: They're like, it's.
Speaker 2: Fine, as long as we continue to get our way, does not matter if this person is confident, just stand for the job. I think it's also wild for the doctor and listen, I'm not a medical professional. Let's just give that warning right now. But my grandmother had similar issues. She fell down, hit her head and then dementia increased after that. And for them to be like, oh, well, you know, concussion sometimes you blink out. Yeah, But also when you're old and you start having concussions and falling like that is a symptom typically of something much much larger like it's not a good sign, and it's.
Speaker 3: Why usually doesn't get bat Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then we have two folks on either side of the line, one on either side of the line with deep, deep memory problems and an inability to perform their job, like clearly an inability to perform like a very basic question, will you run again? What's the question that he was asked and he couldn't answer it.
Speaker 4: That's a problem.
Speaker 2: That's a problem, and I think we have to put in some new parameters, obviously carefully ordered, because we don't want ableism or even agism, Like I'm not agists. I don't think that there needs to be a max number of years and then like you're out. But I do think you should have to be able to be a level of competent in order to perform your duties. Otherwise, why are you here? What is the point? You are not the person that people elected. It's a problem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, he's It's a bad, bad scene all over the all over the political power elite. Well, in some fun news, HBO Max slash just Mas has come up with their worst idea yet, which we're you know, we're always excited when they could top themselves. Uh so, Warner Brothers Discovery has announced they will introduce a twenty four to seven live streamed news service dubbed CNN Max.
Speaker 4: Not a second CNN app.
Speaker 1: Yes, they're just kind of hoping everybody forgets about CNN Plus, which they launched launched last year and like what, announced that they were giving up on it within the month. I think it was like it was a wild fast. It was fast. They were like psych about that thing. You know that press release that's like nine emails below this one in your inbox about how we're excited to launch CNN Plus.
Speaker 3: Uh, that was all bullshit. We're actually on this one. Cut the cord, cut the core, We're out.
Speaker 1: Anyways, the company is reportedly going to try out a feature with this in which people watching shows and movies on Max will have their shows interrupted by breaking news from CNN.
Speaker 4: What are you doing?
Speaker 3: Which time? Do they not know?
Speaker 2: We have cell phones that will immediately learn to breaking news.
Speaker 3: Why who would want that? Why would you think anyone would want that? Joel?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Well, you're famously somebody who understands and can speak to the thought process of David Zaslov.
Speaker 2: Why the only thing I can think of is back in mind day we had twenty four to seven news channels, you know, that was CNN's height.
Speaker 4: People seem to really like that.
Speaker 2: Also, what if we gave people, you know, like that old TV watching experience, like done, here's news that you're the world is like, it's like they're not living on current planet Earth. It's very surreal to think that anyone would want.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Because that is that. Also, you have so much children's programming on there.
Speaker 2: If I'm watching like a Miyazaki film, and shouldn't they going to interrupt and be like the death of one of our very old presidents is happening right now?
Speaker 3: Like what right, Jimmy Carter has passed away?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like it's weird to me to be like, uh, you know what, they really hate ads, but I bet the love just being interrupted in the middle of their service.
Speaker 1: It's crazy, especially because half of your audience probably like will consider that a political act because they think CNN is like the communist manifesto.
Speaker 4: And I also think that.
Speaker 2: If you have like what's the real problem is capitalism? Here's why hbo X was a perfect app There's nothing wrong with it.
Speaker 1: I mean there's plenty wrong with it, but the content like through the real line.
Speaker 2: The only issues were sometimes it was a little glitchy, which we expected apps when they first come out. The only thing that's not glitchy when it first comes out as an Inintendo product. There's the only people who have figured out. Everybody else has issues. The first couple of months fine, but the content was excellent. The search engine was pretty supreme. I liked that they had it broken down in very specific categories, like CNN is already its own channel. They re air stuff from earlier in the day, but it's already running twenty four to seven.
Speaker 4: Like, it's not like Cartoon Network, where at some.
Speaker 2: Point in the date switches to adult swim at night, Like, what are they talking about? CNN is already twenty four so this doesn't compute. And if I'm on an app watching CNN, I can just watch it into Infinity. It'll just keep replaying different segments of news.
Speaker 4: This is clearly dumb. I'm glad the Internet read them for filth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're gonna want your TV to be more like your phone, which you're also already using.
Speaker 3: While TVTV. It's interesting.
Speaker 1: I do wonder like part of it, I think is probably like they're just trying to do cable TV again because that's where like these people probably made their millions. And like, in the same way that famous people still dress the same way they do when they won their Oscar or were at their peak of fame, business people probably still hold to all of the truisms that were true when they made their first couple million or whatever, you know. So it could be just that, or it could be like there's definitely this idea that is pretty funny to me that Elon Musk is subscribing to and that I wouldn't be surprised if Saslov is subscribing to that, like this should be your everything app that like one of them is going to create their the everything app.
Speaker 3: That is like.
Speaker 1: People just are like I just go I wake up and I go to HBO I mean Max, and then I just float there in a cocoon of content and it tells me when news happens, and this is where I do my banking, Like what we'll see if David Saslov's like also Max is entering the world of banking, offering an exciting banking Like I could see that in the next step in this it's.
Speaker 2: Such a botous idea, this idea because if you know anything about the American humer, what we love is choice. You're constantly searching for choice, and your app cannot have all the choices. Just by the decision that there are other apps, we're gonna have to go explore. I need to know what's on Netflix and Disney Plus and the Hulu and Paramount Plus and the ABC app whatever that one's called peacock. I think, sure, listen, I'm gonna float around see what's on, and then I'll make a decision. I'll come back to HBO frequently because y'all have again a really good selection. You have all the Warner Brothers classics, great films, so, you have the Miyazaki stuff, Bomb, you got Cartoon Network and adult swim content perfect that I watch any time of day or night. Plus you have everything in the HBO library. There's literally and you have Friends. There is no stoppage, like you're already at the top. It's wild to me that they're like, how else can we improve?
Speaker 3: You don't need to improve. Plus, when you're watching Friends, you can find out if Bob Barker.
Speaker 1: Just died, So that's important, helpful. All right, let's take a quick break. We'll come back. We got some Taco Bell news, we got some Taylor Swift news. We'll be right back. And we're back and Taco Bell will be testing out a Baja Blast gelato. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Love that they've gone with gelato and not ice cream. You know so much ye have happened here.
Speaker 2: They're like, listen, we have the slushy. What is the next elevated form of that? And I respect that they were like, let's borrow from the Italians. I'm sure Mexicans have a bunch of frozen creamy desserts that we could apply to our Mexican branded store. But no, we're gonna go straight to Italy. We're gonna try gelato and see how people like it. I'm actually excited to try this. I hope they do take it national. It sounds like it could be tasty. I love the flavor of Baja Blast.
Speaker 4: Who doesn't it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's not it's like two ninety nine for three and a half ounces.
Speaker 4: That's great price. That's a good price on gelato.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I mean the the gelato uh selection lacks a something that is that color as does most food stuff like, there's not there's not an option that will be confused with this one.
Speaker 3: You know, it's true, It's true.
Speaker 1: Bubblegum is like a weird inhuman like bluish light blue color mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: And they do make a bubble gum ice cream flavor over at the Basket Robin. Yeah, there's also people like to do a cookie monster ice cream that.
Speaker 4: They die blue.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but none of them have.
Speaker 4: The flavor green of blue.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean, Like, yeah, exactly, Baha, blast, You're like, this is blue.
Speaker 4: This this flavor is blue, and I love it.
Speaker 1: I think it's like the Taco Bell yeah, because so they have this like high high end Taco Bell chain concept that they've been trying to introduce and like the I haven't really been following it, so maybe they've already introduced it. But like the art that they created for like the world with high end Taco Bell like reminded me of like an alternate universe like that kind of reminds me of what we got inside the Barbie world, like and Barbie. I feel like they're you know, Taco Bell is the is the best at like finding these collaborations. I think they found the best brand collaboration with the Dorito's Local Taco Like, I feel like they could do something with some chains that are like explicitly because like this news that we're getting of the Taco Bell Baja Blast Gelato is in like the OC Register, like the Orange County Register.
Speaker 3: It's like a local local news in Orange County.
Speaker 1: I'm just wondering, like, could they start creating Taco Bells that like feel like they are in that Barbie world, like you know, like that would be amazing.
Speaker 2: First of all, I love because then what you're doing is like dreaming up the old Barbie like ice cream shops, sort of like the Plato ice cream Shop.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's cool.
Speaker 2: And in the same way that the Barbie film is not necessarily four children but is accessible to them. I feel like Taco Bell does occupy that lane. I'm like McDonald's, which very much has to stay in it's Disney family friendly lane, and even Burger King is sort of like stonery but still.
Speaker 4: Like definitely children's fifteen year old stoners.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like Taco Bell has more range. I listen, Barbie branding can go on forever. Would absolutely take a trip to Taco Bell to experience a Barbie clock.
Speaker 1: But in the same way that like toy like Barbie food is not real food, like Taco Bell feels like it has a remove like what it is.
Speaker 3: One layer removed from reality as well.
Speaker 1: And this like suproducer Victor asked the good question, why isn't this Sherbert And the answer is because it is not an affront to God and reality to claim that you have a Baja Blast Sherbert. But you have to like go a step further and be like, no, this is Sherbet, or this is gelato. This is like the old style Italian ideal of what ice cream is, and it's it's just bright, gringing monstrosity, like that's that is the mission, you know, in the same way that Ken's job is beach, like Taco Bell's job is whatever the fuck they do? You know, Baha is baja?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 1: Did you watch the Ferrari trailer? I sure did so, dropped a couple of days ago. Adam Driver will be playing Italian sports car entrepreneur Enzo Ferrari.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's.
Speaker 1: I don't know, it's edited together like a jewelry commercial. It's I don't know. The vibes on this trailer. I'm a Michael Man fan. The vibes on this trailer felt pretty sleepy to me.
Speaker 2: It felt like they were like, so, let's look at what Gucci did. We've got better accents here. There's no Lady Gaga to really give us the meme culture that the first Gucci trailer gave us. So we're gonna have to rely on older Adam Driver, which is such an interesting choice.
Speaker 4: He was like, screw it, I'll play fifty. I don't care. I'll be great.
Speaker 2: Penelope Cruz, who's twenty years my senior, will be my wife.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 2: I think they were trying to bring out that same level of like drama, which is not really Michael Man does great drama, but not the high end, commercialized, super glossy drama. He does like heat, gritty drama, yeah, which is great. I don't think the the trailer properly emphasized that. I imagine that's what the film will actually be when we get there.
Speaker 1: I just kept waiting for either you know, Ferrari himself or like one of his you know, kids or lovers, to have a moment where they're walking happily down the street and then in one second realized that the heat is on and flip a machine gun around from their back and start firing it, like like in that one scene with Val Kilmer, the coolest moment in any movie ever where he you know, proves out the thing that he's ready to rock and roll at a moment's notice.
Speaker 3: That part is cool. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it felt to me like there, like it could the trailer at least could have been achieved by saying, put a house of Gucci filter on the movie Ford versus Ferrari.
Speaker 3: And Adam Driver, like I kept waiting for.
Speaker 1: He looks fine in some of the shots, but in some of the shots he was giving me, Uh, there's too much shit on me.
Speaker 3: I don't want to I got too much shit on me. I got too much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I imagine we'll see you in oscar contention.
Speaker 4: Anyway. It's Michael Man. It's a stacked cast.
Speaker 3: It's stacked cast.
Speaker 2: I'm curious to see it. It's a movie where I'm gonna have to be like Dad. Let's go to the movies. Let's experience it's a.
Speaker 3: Dad, oh big dad movie. Energy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, this is four Dads by Dad's meant to be watched standing like in in the living room on your way to Arms Crossed.
Speaker 4: It's like, this are pretty good? Who's that? Who's that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the greatest compliment anyone could get. This one's actually pretty good from a death actually pretty good. And then finally Taylor Swift, The Era's Tour, a concert film will be coming to AMC theaters.
Speaker 3: Soon.
Speaker 1: It's coming in October. I like, I assume this would be happening, like, you know, a year or two down the road. It's coming like as the Era's Tour is still happening, Like the Aras Tour is happening through twenty twenty four.
Speaker 4: This is late twenty twenty four two, I think like November. It's crazy.
Speaker 1: This is hitting theaters in October. I feel like this is being done like like the government like was like we need to get this tour to people, like like it's like Operation Warp speed, like getting this thing into theaters.
Speaker 4: That now I feel like, one, this is brilliant.
Speaker 2: So Beyonce really changed Not to make everything about Beyonce, but Beyonce really changed the game when she did her Coachella tour and she was like, Okay, I'm gonna come to Coachella. I'm gonna do it for a million instead of four so that I can can retain the rights to my show, and then I'll sell my show for I think sixteen million, don't quote me on that to Netflix. Then everyone was like, oh, we should all be doing this. So then you see I think Demila Fado does one, Selena Gomez does one. I think Taylor also did one for that, Lady Gaga five foot two did one, so that becomes a big thing. So then Taylor clearly was like, okay, guys, but what if we did theatrical releases?
Speaker 4: And I just think it's.
Speaker 2: Such a stroke of genius because there's so many people who cannot afford the price, especially in America, and your A concerts are much more reasonable, and I think I can say the same with most other nations, like in Africa, South America, you can go to concert for a very reasonable price. In America, tickets are very expensive. Ticket Master as cornered the market. Obviously they're the devil. But if you can get a twenty two dollars to eleven dollars ticket depending on your theater, to go see Taylor Swift, you can still fan out with your girls. Also, people who already went to the concert are gonna want to re experience it. Am I in the movie, Oh, I was there at that show. I remember this, like the nostalgia they are a recent nostalgia of it. I think it's also gonna fuel tickets. It's crazy to me that people are already saying like this is gonna say movie theaters falls.
Speaker 4: But the show has been doing well, so maybe it will.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know, we'll see. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean some of the people even forgot that they had gone because they had like Taylor Swift aras Tory amnesia, as we talked about. So maybe they'll just need to go to remember what the fuck happened. I did go to the Air's tour, so I have to imagine I'm in there right, Like it would be weird if they didn't.
Speaker 2: Shure you fan girling out in all her Taylor gears, so the camera would have been drawn to you.
Speaker 4: Of course.
Speaker 2: Of course, I look forward to Beyonce's announcement that she will be doing a theatrical run of her show.
Speaker 4: I'm sure it's coming.
Speaker 3: That would be Yeah.
Speaker 1: I would like a Beyonce one because the Netflix one was really cool, but it would be cool to have the theatrical option as well, right, Hell.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and listen go big around.
Speaker 2: Two weekends, so four shows, she had one big costume changer which she goes from pink to yellow and a now iconic scene that's also a meme.
Speaker 3: I know it'll a costume change.
Speaker 2: She has a new costume every show for this at least one new costume each show for this tour, So look forward to all of the fun, editing and the joys of Beyonce.
Speaker 1: Amazing. Well, Joel Monique, thank you so much for joining us. Where can people find you and follow you?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And Joel Monique, you guys can follow me all over the internet at Joel Monique is j.
Speaker 4: O E l o E m O n I q u E.
Speaker 1: All right, that's gonna do it for us this afternoon. We're back tomorrow with a whole ass episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourselves, get the vaccine, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to you all tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Bite eh.