Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Sloan, I'm fourteen, and I know the NBA. On today's show, we have the first senior drafted in the two thousand and five NBA draft and an avid pickle hater. Lebron said he was one of the best shooters he has ever played with. World Champion with the Cleveland Cavaliers, Channing Frock. Let's set the scene. The cows were found three to one in the NBA Finals and somehow you guys win something a team has never done in NBA history. I don't think anyone has ever directly asked you this, And I just want to know what did Braun say in the huddle that made you guys win?
Speaker 2: You know what? And to be honest, it was not just Braun talking. I think one guy that doesn't get enough credit, who didn't play a minute, was James Jones. I think, you know, obviously he's the GM of the Phoenix Suns. Now he's one of the best, and even Braun will tell you he's one of the best minds that either one of us has ever been around. And I think as a team we were like collectively had watched so much film we knew what we needed, right, so when you get in those crunch moments, especially versus the Warriors, we're so good and we see how good they are obviously in the finals. Again, you got to play perfect. You have to stick to your game plan and you have to believe in what you're doing and not get like down on yourself when they go on these nine oh runs, seven oh runs, like you know, you just have to keep believing. And so I think bron was more technical while the other guys. If some guy goes in the game, they have to know their assignment, they have to know obviously who they're guarding, what our game plan is at that time. Are we in his own are we in a man? Are we switching? Are we then to drop an ice to show and get back? Are we a show and go? Like? There are all these things that go through and you know in that moment it's a team thing. So I help out Kevin and Richard and Tristan and Braun helped Kyrie because they're doing their own thing, and so it was it was pretty amazing. Our communication was was a one.
Speaker 3: So what advice then would you give the Celtics.
Speaker 2: Two things I would tell the Celtics. Number one, you have to get layups. The technical way Golden State offense is one of the greatest in the history of the game. You cannot set your defense up if you take bad shots. They have five guys, four guys without Looney Kevon Looney, who can bring the ball up and make a play.
Speaker 1: Kevin can't take the ball up. He does it a little bit, and I'm like, yes, Kevin, I love when he does that.
Speaker 2: He can't sometimes yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. I get so scared because back in the day they were like, kive the ball to a guard. But you know, at the end of the day, Kevin has been in X many championships. He's a champion. He knows how to play the jo.
Speaker 3: Last game he's been practically perfect, which is crazy.
Speaker 2: I mean, he just talk about understanding your role and not being wavered by what people have expectations for you, but what your team needs you to win. So if you get layups, it gives your team a chance to get back on defense, and then you can't turn the ball over. And I played on Phoenix Sun's team where we were shooting a lot of threes, and so you have to take good threes, corner threes. Obviously, there's the best shot in basketball, and you have to the ball has to find energy, right, which it always does, and so you can't play one on one and beat them. Klayt. Thompson is too good, Draymond is too good. Steph has been playing great defense, Wiggins is amazing, and so you have to attack the rim and try to get layups as often as possible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and being someone who has played against Draymond Green in the finals, you know we saw him practically try to pull down Jim Brown's fans, right, I don't understand he tried to pull down his pants, Like did you have times when that happened?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I think if you really look at the play, like Draymond plays with his heart on his sleeve, and you know it looks like he's putting down his pasts. But if somebody's standing above you, you have nothing to grab at. So he just grabbed him in a NBA Finals game, obviously, tempers are going to flare if you look at Draymond's body language that to be getting of that. He really was like, hey, sorry that my feet are on you, like relax, chill out. But again, he is the emotional leader of the Warriors. If you look at the Warriors. They are great dudes. They are nice guys. Except for Draymond. He's a great human. You know he gave me his shoes, did he He's a great human. When he plays, he plays nasty. You know, the private school kids, you need that guy that's gonna make you uncomfortable, who's gonna talk, who's gonna get you off your risk, get the other team off the rhythm, and Stephan clay feet off that. But for me, I thought it was just at whatever, and I thought Jalen Brown should have leaned in way more into that. You already know Draymond has a technical. I would have leaned in there. I would have took a technical. Yeah, because at the end of the day, Draymond is crucial for the Warriors to win, and.
Speaker 3: The rest weren't gonna see himp that would be.
Speaker 2: But see that's because Jalen Brown didn't lean in on it. I would have tried to fight him. I would have got a technical myself.
Speaker 1: I mean he did, but it wasn't. I am sick. Now let's move on. So I'm fourteen years old, I'm in eighth grade. Well, actually I have one more day left of eighth grade.
Speaker 3: I'm excited tight okay, high school, yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: But I want to know who you were at fourteen, because you know, we know who the world knows who you are now. But I want to know things about you when you were fourteen. That's what I think.
Speaker 2: God, oh boy, I was still in the band. I was playing the trumpet.
Speaker 1: Oh you were a band kid, A big band kid.
Speaker 2: Well, Vince Carter was a band kid till college, which is crazy. He was the marching band leader in Florida. I don't know how I remember that, but I do.
Speaker 1: I like those random facts.
Speaker 2: Random, thank you, thank you. I think I was six four six six, so I was really tall, really hadn't practiced that much beast. I would play outside, wasn't on an AAU team, wasn't really like passionate about basketball. Loved it, loved playing, but was just kind of a big goofball, like probably more interested in like power Rangers and video games. And so you were a nerd playing it big. Well, I'm still a nerd.
Speaker 1: I have, like I know, but you're like a little cluer to the nerd. I mean, you've won an NBA championship. That's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm a nerd. I could be. It's you know, the duality and personalities are pretty interesting. You know. I love Star Wars and Star Trek and comic books and Marvel movies and all those type of things. But yeah, I was that guy. And then freshman year or ninth grade is when I really started to kind of figure out who I was. So, you know, growing two inches every year was tough. I was not good. Couldn't dunk, couldn't run backwards. I was just a big old goofball who is super skinny, who like comic books.
Speaker 1: I can definitely tell that you've done podcasting before because you literally answered every single question on my list without me even asking you.
Speaker 3: So thank you that that made it way easier for me. So if you never played, when did you start to play AAU?
Speaker 2: Then? So my parents made me so in a weird way, it worked out well in Chandler, Arizona Junior High was seven eight nine, and then you would go to a feeder school adoptson you know, high school, which was ten eleven twelve.
Speaker 3: Then you switched to Saint Mary's.
Speaker 2: I went to Saint Mary's in tenth grade, which is a private school, and so I took the test. I never had a you know, wear uniform. And I remember I took the test to go there. And there's another school called Brophy. It's all boys. And the coach from Saint Mary's, the JV coach, an assistant head coach for the varsity team, was like, hey, are you coming to school? And I was like, maybe if I take the test, and so he was like, all right, you're going to come to this game and I want you to see what it's like. We're playing our rivals. So as we're driving back forty five minutes to where I was living that time, Chandler, Arizona East Valley, I tell my dad. I was like, Okay, whatever school wins, that's for school. I'm going to. His place was packed. It was standing room only, and Saint Mary's won on a free throw tip. As they won, he celebrated with his team. The coach Career looked at me and says, I'll see you tomorrow. We have a Saint Mary's AU team and the two guards that were my age freshmen were starting for the varsity team, so I had to start practicing with them. So I went from not really practicing to practicing with guys that have been playing varsity for a whole year, and I had to catch up pretty quick. I broke my hand that year, and I didn't play. I think I only played two games my sophomore year, and then I only played junior and senior year and here we are.
Speaker 3: He must or year.
Speaker 2: Uh ish. I started to get confidence. I broke my wrists, right, I like broke my hand, and then I just it like meant something like I would wake up like how can I get better today? And then it became I don't obsessive isn't the right word. It just became intoxicating, seeing like the work, the result of the work after a week, after two weeks, after two months, like oh man, I have muscles like I get donk with two hands, like I'm dog. These dudes like I was starting to run better and that was intoxicating, and so I think that kind of fueled me to just always try to work harder than everyone else.
Speaker 1: So once you ended up joining that Saint Mary's AAU team, who was the best player that you ever played against on another AAU team.
Speaker 2: Oh, Tyson Chandler, not even close. What went at NBA. He was seven foot just in the fastest big I mean, I can't even explain to you. He took three steps and he was all the way down to court and he would dunk and I remember his head was up by the ram and I was like, oh, y'all want me to play this. I was like, I could barely run backwards. And I remember he played and it was just like left and right and I was just I couldn't shoot, I couldn't do anything. But we were younger, and obviously he went at NBA, and obviously I had to go four years of college. But yeah, he was an absolute monster, a demon.
Speaker 1: So did you ever get asked to like buke up when you started?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, oh yeah, Okay, when you're asked to book up? What do you eat? Like you just go to McDonald's every day?
Speaker 2: No, guy, I have so many funny stories. So my dad was super old school and like you know, didn't really he was pretty stubborn, didn't want to listen to anybody. So he would wake me up at like two or three in the morning. He'd make me drink a milkshake out of a blender with like four raw eggs. Protein shake ice cream.
Speaker 3: Okay, so not like an in and out like milkshake, like a.
Speaker 2: Protein shake milkshake. And then when I got to college, there's this place called Blackjack Pizza and there were five dollars. They gave me a card for like five hundred bucks to say, you have to eat a whole pizza every single night.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: So that's how I went from two oh five.
Speaker 3: Pepperoni or cheese or pineapple or what.
Speaker 2: You better not put a pineapple on a pizza.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's go into that now, pineapple or pizza.
Speaker 2: Or no, I am karate chopping the pizza out of your hand. That's disrespectful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's I only okay, cheese a pepperoni, like when people go like it's too much like the white pizza.
Speaker 2: I like white pizza. I'm a New York guy. I like white pizza.
Speaker 1: I like, well, like parmesan cheese on pizza. But that's a good topic.
Speaker 2: Cheese easy exactly. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I like everything, just no olives. I'm pretty I'm pretty easy going.
Speaker 1: I hate alive too, They're disgusting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you like pickles.
Speaker 2: I think the pickles are the devil's fruit. They're the worst things on earth.
Speaker 3: No way, you just said that.
Speaker 2: No way, No, I promise you. Anybody that's known me my whole life, I think pickles are the devil.
Speaker 1: Okay, if someone were to ask me if there was one food you would eat for the rest of your life, I would say pickles.
Speaker 3: No hesitation, I'm not kidding. I love pickles.
Speaker 2: I would rather eat a cactus.
Speaker 3: You have no taste.
Speaker 2: Disgusting.
Speaker 1: So when was the first time that you sort of were like, wait, I think I think you can make the NBA.
Speaker 2: Oh oh boy. My junior year of college.
Speaker 3: Oh so it wasn't until college.
Speaker 1: So nothing about like going to Arizona and like that didn't make you believe anything.
Speaker 2: Well, I committed to Arizona my junior year. Right early in my junior year high school, they were like, well, Channing, you're gonna have the red shirt. And I tell this story probably too much is I School was over April thirtieth. I went to U of a May second. So I was taking summer classes so that I could learn to lift, I could run hoop and so I was there every single day. And I was there with a guy named Dennis Lattimorn him and I would play one on one. Uh and he was six eight two forty, just yacked up as a man. You know, he was tatted up at you know, eighteen nineteen years old. You know, he was a really good player. He was dogging me one on one, and then when he would go back and go to sleep, I would come to the gym and work out, and the guys that were there at night were like Miles Simon, Mike Baby, Jason Terry, Gilbert Arenez, you know, Luke Walton, Jason Gardner, Richard. That was a real competition, real but they were like helping me understand the game and do workouts and really kind of like teaching me. I had never been taught by somebody of that caliber. And then I ended up starting half that year, ended up starting the rest, and then the rest is history. But I remember he was dogging me like three games eleven nothing all three games, and then now I was beating him at the end of the year eleven to ten, eleven nine, and just keep working. I went from two h five to two thirty five in one year.
Speaker 1: Been saying, I feel like this is making me think about I don't know if you've heard the story about how Bradley Bial sort of took Jason Tatum like under his wing and would take him to all the NBA practices, And I was always I thought that that was so interesting to now obviously see them playing against each other, right, and not anything against Bradley Bial, but Jason's almost surpassed him, and that's such an interesting thing to see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, Bradley Beal is one of my favorite players to watch, and I think Jason Tatum is in a different situation where it's a little bit more stability. Jason tatums first couple of years ago is the Eastern Conference finals.
Speaker 1: Of course, I mean Jason Tatam has a supporting cast and Bradley Beial has porzingis.
Speaker 2: Correct, correct? I think Bradley Beal is a really good player. I think Bradley Beal will be We'll see the best version of Bradley Beal if he leaves Washington and turns into a Ray allen Ish type guy.
Speaker 1: I have to say, I think I disagree with you really because okay, you know last season he him and stepf are going at it for the scoring title.
Speaker 3: Two years ago, two years ago, yes, two years ago.
Speaker 1: And you know, on other teams, He's not going to be the guy that gets the ball. I think he'll be more of if he goes to somewhere that's more of a championship contender. You know, he'll be the second man, and there he can't perform like he did in Washington, but he'll definitely probably have more success.
Speaker 2: So what's more important? So he's already paid, he's already shown he can lead the league in scoring. He's not been to the playoffs in a while. So I think at this point, and if I'm just speaking for him, do we respect Chris Middleton more now that he's a champion.
Speaker 3: That's true, Chris Middleton probably wouldn't be an All Star by.
Speaker 2: Himself, correct, Right, And so what I'm saying is Bradley Beal will never see the best version to Bradley Beal until we see him with the bright lights. There are different lights, right, There's the bulbs during the regular season that people put in, and then they got these real fancy led lights. Yeah, during the finals, and this is where we see the best version. We saw the best version of Al Horford game one, we saw the best version of Steph game two, and then tonight we're going to see the best version of whether that's a coach, whether that's Derek White Andrew Wiggots.
Speaker 3: I hope we don't see the best version of Derek White. I don't want to see.
Speaker 1: That made me crying.
Speaker 3: God, that was the best shooting fourth quote I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: Oh ridiculous. They were all fire.
Speaker 3: That's never gonna happen again.
Speaker 2: Oh never.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, knocking on wood. Now let's move on to our next segment. So we've talked about you when you were fourteen, but I now want to know about you, not hopefully, So what is the most memorable play of your career?
Speaker 2: Of my career, it's when I had back to back game winners in twenty ten. So the first game we're playing in Indiana, I was on fire, felt really good, hit the game winner in front of my old coach, right, Nate McMillan, which I always you know, and I when you play eighty two games, you need anything to like get you going right, you know, put a little stoke to fire a little bit. Yeah. And then the second game, we played New Jersey, and I was getting like emotionally exhausted, right because you're just living on the top of the mountain and eventually you gotta come down. So I was having a crappy game, like an awful game, and you know, everyone else was kind of gas too. So we're down three and coach was like, well, it can't get any worse for you today, so we're gonna draw this player for you. And I'm looking next to some of my favorite players I grew up watching Steve Nash, Grant Hill, and they're like, Channing, you're gonna make it. So ge Hill is my guy, and I would like to say it's like my mentor. He's like, Channing, I'm gonna throw you open. I was like what, But I was like, well, you know, my dad always said listen, one day you're the front of the goat, the other day you're the back right. And I like, hei, literally we're in this ran this play called Memphis Twist, and I popped out and he just threw the ball to my hand and I just shot it and it went in, and I was just like what in the world, Like how wild these games are? End of winning, But that was probably one of those moments where I was like, do my teammates believe in me? Some people I grew up watching giving me a chance, right, Obviously you could have gave it to Steve or Jason Richardson or Amari or any of these guys, but they chose me, and so I just I don't take that for granted.
Speaker 1: The season, when Steph came back after he broke his hand, we were like we got blown out by the Nets. We I'm saying we because I, you know, I'm basically like one of the guys, but you know, I remember we were we just got blown up by Brooklyn, and you know, I did my emotional thing where I was like sobbing and my dad was like, you need to come down. It's a basketball team, and I was like, no, this is not this is bad. And then I think we were playing the Bulls and I was like screaming at the TV, like give it to Steph, give it to step give it a step and we were tied up and they gave it to Damian Lee and he made a buzzer beater and I was like, oh my God, like wow, oh, like I just can't believe this because I'd put everything on Steph. And then Damian Lee was the one who like saved the day. And I feel like, you know, maybe for guys like that. It's because that's with Steph that happens every day, but with Damian Lee, like that was his moment.
Speaker 2: You know. Yeah. I think as a role player, that's the thing that's the hardest part. It's like Steph knows he's gonna get x amount of shots, play x amount of minutes. As a role player, it's like Steph's gonna get twenty shots. He just got to run around like a crazy man for him. Yeah, Damian Lee, Channing Fry role players, Derek White, we may get six or seven. So like again, James Jones in practice was like, no warm up shots. The minute you step on the court, that's when you're shooting starts because mentally you got to go I don't have a chance to warm up when I come off the bench. So we would have drills, you would do your you know, your lifting, and then as soon as you get on the court, somebody throw your ball. You got to make six out of seven from seven spots. So you got to train your attitude too. I stay on fire.
Speaker 3: I mean, Lebron did say you were one of the best shooters he ever played with, so.
Speaker 2: We yeah, did he did. I appreciate it. You know, I appreciate my guy looking out for me, but uh, you know, it means a lot. He played with a lot of really good shooters.
Speaker 1: You were one of the best.
Speaker 2: I try. As a seven footer, I try, I try.
Speaker 1: I feel like when you're saying you're like a lengthy kid. Yeah, what advice would you give to James Wiseman, Because as a Warriors fan, I'm looking at him and I really really want him to be good because I love Kevin Looney. But we're pretty small and we I mean, when Robert Williams the Third is in the paint like we see, I'm like, I think we need a little bit of hype. Yeah, and I think watching you know, he's recovering now, but when he did play in his rookie year, I saw some moments where I was just like, I think he just needs to grow into himself. And I feel like you could relate to that. Maybe when you were a rookie.
Speaker 2: He is already far and away a lot better than I ever was.
Speaker 1: He just well, you were first team All Rookie he wasn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well he's also I'll say this, he has an put ten thousand hours into the basketball court. No he has not because he can't. He's always hurt, right, So if you don't have time to make mistakes because you're still trying to learn yourself.
Speaker 1: Also, he did have the COVID year during college, so that he can't go to the gym.
Speaker 3: Well, actually I guess he could.
Speaker 2: But with other people, Yeah, you can't play. You're not under duress or under fire. You have a chance to make mistakes. But I think you know, we get sometimes we get prisoner at the moment, especially as fans. Yeah, he's twenty I think twenty years old.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like we didn't see Joel Ebide till his third year. This is his seventh year, and he's been healthy, and he's developed, and he's had serious losses. He's had been ridiculed, he's been underneath the fire, and now we're seeing the best version of himself. Big guys usually developed later. Also, I think Golden State understands the value of him in wanting him for the longevity. If they get him at twenty one for five years, that's scary, scary.
Speaker 1: I think that's also important because as Stephen, Dray and Clay get older, they start to not be able to do as much so we need a young guy like him to really.
Speaker 2: Step up, right, totally.
Speaker 1: Well, we also have Jonathan Kamingo, who right, I mean, he's insane, insane as athletes, and so is Moses Moody. I mean, we have a really good group of young guys.
Speaker 2: I think, really good. The team's gonna be scary, and think that's that next generation that understands the length of the season, has had good culture, understand getting experienced in the NBA Finals, Western Conference Finals. They that culture goes into the next generation as they rise up.
Speaker 1: For these guys, even though they're not getting that many minutes, they know what it's like to be in the NBA Finals, which is something that you know, we've seen this with so many guys where then they do all the work to get there, and then they get there and then they don't know what to do because it's a different thing than the fifth game of an eighty two game season.
Speaker 2: It is its own it's its own season. Yeah, And that is an honest true that anybody's been the finals will tell you have been twice. It's like, once you get done with the Eastern and Western Conference finals, when you get to the finals, it's its own thing entirely, and the play from October all the way to June is crazy. I remember we wanted our championship. We want it on June twenty second, So like, think about another eighteen days from now. That's how long the season is. So have you taken care of your body? What are you doing? Are you you know that the ice tubs that you were supposed to do in December are starting to catch up to you? Are you mentally here if somebody gets hurt? Are you ready to go? Do you watch film? Do you surround yourself with people who are not telling you what you should be doing, but telling you, like what does your team need and how you could do that?
Speaker 1: Okay, so this is a little different, but I want to know what was your welcome to the league moment?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Big Shack. So two thousand and five, obviously Shack is in Miami. Before the game we're doing warm ups.
Speaker 3: Were you playing the Garden or.
Speaker 2: The Yeah, I was in the Garden Star I was playing for the New York next So I got drafted I know eighth. Well, thank you. You know listeners, they may not know it's a long time ago. Thousand and five? Is he was the eighth.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it played all four years of AIRSONA.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I'm just yes, I did. I appreciate dropped the knowledge. I am drop it. So we're in warm ups and I'm like looking like, holy crap, Shack is huge and I was playing a little bit of center. So I was six ten, but you're the same. Hi, No, no, no, no, no different. I was six ten two thirty. He's seven foot two seventy to eighty.
Speaker 3: But you're listed as seven feet.
Speaker 2: Now I am Now I grew. I grew two inches in the league.
Speaker 3: Oh you grew yeah?
Speaker 2: Wild? Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's wild. Yes. So I did not cheat.
Speaker 3: That's crazy. Do doctors understand how that happened?
Speaker 2: Now? Maybe you know yoga stretching grosspurt hmm.
Speaker 1: I feel like that's giving yoga a little too much.
Speaker 2: Great, yoga is good for stretching.
Speaker 3: I'm going to have to put in some work to yoga.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do a little bit from yoga and get your spine right.
Speaker 3: I still want to be able to dunk by myself. I don't.
Speaker 1: I'm kidding.
Speaker 2: If you could, that would be crazy. That would be the craziest thing I've ever seen in my life.
Speaker 1: It would maybe I could get like bouncy shoot, like I can dunk on the trampoline.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's tight. I'll give you that. I'll give that. You're a tiny person.
Speaker 3: Oh I can do like windmills on a six foot basket.
Speaker 2: Dunk ball's the best. You used to play that in seventh grade.
Speaker 3: Probably harder on a ten foot basket.
Speaker 2: I am actually very impressed. Well, mails are hard to So we're in warm ups and Shack grasps my arm and he's like, hey, little Fry, I need your jersey after the game. And I'm like what. He's like, yeah, yeah, my son loves you. I don't know why, I don't know what. He likes your game at Arizona. Give me a jersey after the game. And he just goes to warm ups. So I'm like, oh crap, Shack. Shack likes me. So I'm giddy.
Speaker 1: Oh so, since when are you, little Fry. You're not that little, really, I.
Speaker 2: Know, but I'm little to him. I'm a twig to this man, this behemoth of a man to him.
Speaker 3: I think everyone's little to him though.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So we're playing a third quarter and we're winning, and the fourth quarter comes and Larry Brown, our coach at the time. It's like, Chang and go guard Shack. So I'm like, Okay, Shack is my guy. You know, take it easy on me, right here.
Speaker 3: Your guy off the court.
Speaker 2: Off the court. Yeah, Shaq looks at me, calls his play and it's like it's winning time, little fry. And I remember he elbowed me so hard and knocked me into the stanchion. And next thing you know, I see his two big Shackgnosis shoes or whatever he was wearing, like I'm behind the basket, like what like what truck? Does it mean?
Speaker 3: Did he help you up?
Speaker 2: No? No?
Speaker 3: But did you give him the jersey?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I had to give him a jersey. I had to give him a k for the kids, for the kids.
Speaker 1: Like if that would have happened to me, I would have I don't even care if it was for his kids.
Speaker 2: But it was just like I realized at that moment, I have no business trying to guard centers. And then I had the guard Like, yeah, Ming, I've had a guard, you know, Andrew Bayam, Pogasalt, Tim Duncan, some of the biggest guys in the league. I'm just like, what what, why do y'all have me guarding this, dude, I'm not belt like this. As I started shooting threes, yeah, I said, hey, if you get three shots and I get three shots, I'm gonna make two at of three, I'm gonna be up two points for six.
Speaker 3: Do you think that you were ever part of someone's welcome to league moment?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: Do you ever remember being like, you know what, I feel like what I did to that kid? Like I think that that may.
Speaker 2: Have been Kevin Love. I hope he sees this.
Speaker 1: Oh, your teammate, Yeah, kay Love watched this.
Speaker 2: I barbecued him one time in Minnesota. They had an awful scout. I don't know what their game plan was, but I saw it and film and was just like licking my chops. I didn't dunk on him. When I say, honest, head, that's more like more than seven threes in a game.
Speaker 3: I think I hit like nine, like you a little Curry action, yeo, yeah.
Speaker 2: Curry before Curry. I was more like, yeah, he's like original Curry and more like a yellow Curry.
Speaker 3: No, it was more like it was your Dell Curry moment, right.
Speaker 2: Dell Curry moment? Yeah? Yeah, I mean, I mean it was just bad defense, and then I just took advantage of it. And then just I used to like Kevin was so good. He is still good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's moved into a different role now, I guess it's different way.
Speaker 2: I like this role for him as a leader, as a champion. It's great for him and his maturity and his personality to bestow. Like you see how good the Cavs were without injuries.
Speaker 1: When comes back, I'm excited to see what the Cavs have in store.
Speaker 2: You'll be interesting what they do with him because I think the way the league is, especially in the Eastern Conference, it's hard to play smaller guards. Right. As much as I love Lamello, he's gonna take him a few years to be Like. The smallest guard in the Eastern Conference is Kyle Lowry. But Kyle Lowry's built like a like a tree stump, right, But he's takes charges guard posts. Right.
Speaker 3: I'm assuming you've seen all the Kyle Lowry memes them by that.
Speaker 2: I've seen all of them. I've seen all of them. I've also played against him.
Speaker 3: I just say the eighth grade boys like that.
Speaker 2: I like that for sure. Yeah that's limous, but yeah, they just got to get more physical because Jannasy is the point guard for for Milwaukee, and so is Drew Holliday. Yeah, and that's the smallest guy on the court, right, so it'll be interesting to see. I think Collin's a really good player. I like I love Darius Garland, I like Colin Sexton.
Speaker 1: I wonder if Darius Garland will be as sort of explosive with Consexton on the court, but it's hard to have two of them. I think maybe it works better for Darius when he's the first option.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think if you look at the spacing right, I think Collins's natural position is to have the ball. I'd liken him to a Tony Parker style basketball player, where they get their momentum and their feel for the game by attacking the rim and trying to score, and then once they get double teams, it's easy for them to kick out. But Darius plays as more of a I would say Chris Paulish type, crazy underrated bag and then just tries to get his teammates open and now as the game slows down, him and Jared Allen remind me of a young Tyson Chandler and Chris Ball from the New Orleans Hornets.
Speaker 3: So Stephen A.
Speaker 1: Smith is known for his hot takes, But have you ever seen takes hotter than Kelly ub re Jr. I really don't think you've ever seen takes harder than Kelly Junior. I'm just telling you it's just not possible. Nothing is harder than him.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I knew you were going there. Everybody likes that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you knew I was going here. Yeah, you know, I do like him. He may or may not be you know, my lock screen. I just I gotta be Oh my.
Speaker 2: Lord, have mercy. Wait he plays for Charlotte. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I liked this role.
Speaker 1: But I have to say I love Kelly. But when he was on the Warriors, I was like, I'd rather you go somewhere else. Yeah, it's great, it just wasn't really.
Speaker 2: No, I think he needs to play more of an upstyle game.
Speaker 1: When he was on the Suns before, like Devin Booker and Deandret and and Chris Paul, he was good there and he is good now. But the Pornets are more of a different Yes, so these takes are gonna be hotter than Kelly. You're bridginger, So I'm gonna ask you a question, and I just want you to give me a really hot answer. Okay with like green eyes.
Speaker 2: Okay, green eyes, green ice or.
Speaker 3: Blue either works or like a mix.
Speaker 2: A nice yes, right, my kids have hazel eyes.
Speaker 3: Thank you, welcome.
Speaker 1: Okay, So which MBA player is the best dressed?
Speaker 2: My style? It's Kevin Love my style.
Speaker 3: Okay, so you're not like a Kyle Kuzma Giants sweater?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I think that's too much. Man, I get it, but I think that's a little too much for me my style.
Speaker 3: Okay. Who has the best shoe game.
Speaker 2: Their signature shoe or just who has the best shoes?
Speaker 1: Dwight Howard. When I asked him that question, he said Lebron and no I understood. I feel like that was more because his own shoes. I think, just like in general, who just.
Speaker 2: Like oh PJ Chuck.
Speaker 1: That's why I mean, he has a house shoes. That's the right answer. Thank you. I'm glad we agree on that. That's the right answer. I don't like when anyone else gives any other answer. That's the right thing.
Speaker 2: No, that is the only answer.
Speaker 1: So who is the funniest.
Speaker 2: MP Anthony Edwards by far not even Chris.
Speaker 1: Agree his press conferences. I'm like, I don't even know what you're saying.
Speaker 2: But no, it doesn't. He never answers the question. He just tells you what he wants to tell you, and he's super honest.
Speaker 1: The other day I saw this TikTok of him on some movie, well for his new movie with Adam Sandler and Hustle. Yeah, exactly, and they were like, oh, what's your all time starting five? And he was like, oh, myself and then that and he didn't even say like Michael Jordan or Lebron And I'm like.
Speaker 2: No, he said Alan iverson KD Lebron himself.
Speaker 3: And Okay, I'm gotta be washer Kobe, he.
Speaker 2: Said, no, Shack. Maybe it was a funny list. Awesome list, but a funny list.
Speaker 3: It was the funniest.
Speaker 1: Yes, that would be quite the team for sure. So which NBA player do you think could run for president?
Speaker 3: And when?
Speaker 2: Oh? And when is this all time? Or is this like right now you can do whatever? So all time it's Grant Hill, Okay, And then I think now, uh would be a guy like CJ. McCollum. Yeah, big time politician. Vibes shout out here, it is ninety one.
Speaker 3: I know, no, I feel you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's very just calm and like I feel like he could just go out there.
Speaker 2: He's very intellectual, very well.
Speaker 3: Spoken, and unfortunately he has never been an All Star.
Speaker 2: Not fair, never been, which is you know, sucks being in the West sometimes and then.
Speaker 1: Well I feel like there's guys that he could have gotten picked over some seasons.
Speaker 3: But sometimes I think Lebron.
Speaker 1: But then at the same time, like there's so many Lebron lovers, but then there's so many Lebron haters that people wouldn't vote for him for sure.
Speaker 2: Right. He is very polarizing. There's no real middle ground, and that's why it's a billionaire. When you get to be that polarizing, whether people just hate you or support you regardless, then that means you've done it right.
Speaker 1: Also, the people that hate him give him the most of his money, Like the times the amount of times I bought Lebron jerseys to like be like you suck and write it on it. I didn't actually do that, but like to be like, you know, because I do this thing where I like hang up my stuff, like my Warrior jersey before the game, to like manifest and you know, like I bought Lebron jerseys to be like artists for like some competition or like I have to say, like you know, I've I've worn Lebron's before.
Speaker 2: Something that Kobe said for he passed away was like, you want one hundred percent of the audience. Fifty percent of them are going to watch to see you lose, and fifty percent are gonna watch to see you win. Yeah, but you get one hundred percent of the audience is all you want, right, So take on that hate because they're still watching when things are quiet. That means you suck.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't think Lebron will ever get to that point.
Speaker 1: No, hopefully not fingers god, unless he like waits till not just Brownie plays, but Bryce plays, and then he'll be like a literal I.
Speaker 2: Will get him off the court.
Speaker 3: So ill can you driving there? Because I probably won't be able to drive by then.
Speaker 1: Well, actually that's in two years, so maybe all I can, oh, but it depends if I pass my test. I may not.
Speaker 3: I'm a little nervous for that. I don't know. I just feel like I may be a bad driver.
Speaker 2: This is La. Everyone's a bad driver.
Speaker 3: That's true, that's good.
Speaker 2: Just don't nothing.
Speaker 1: I may get in a bunch of crashes, but that's okay. So we can see this picture right here, right correct, Manut Ball Muggsy Bugs.
Speaker 3: That's the point.
Speaker 1: But one time I was in Muggy Bugs's Instagram post anyway, so basically to this or that situation, Muggsy and Manut very different, but teammates.
Speaker 3: Let's go on.
Speaker 1: I just want you to answer. Last time, we did a lot of explaining, which is fine. I love the explaining, but now we just got to go fast. Okay, last shot, I'm Jered Coche. Lakers are sixers, oh Lakers, Nike or Adidas, Nike All Day Gatorade or Power the.
Speaker 2: Blue Powerade it's the only powerade I like.
Speaker 3: I know, but cucumber Gatorade is disgusting.
Speaker 2: That's the only type of Mountain Blue Gatorade is pretty good too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, actually, you know what I do, sort of like blue Power.
Speaker 1: But not red.
Speaker 2: Not red is disgusting.
Speaker 3: Great, okay, Instagram or.
Speaker 2: TikTok oh Instagram. I don't even have a.
Speaker 1: TikTok until we're going to make tiktoks together and go ral. Yes, that's right. No, you cannot deny it. We're gonna do it sweet or salty, Oh salty, interesting mj or broun uh broun, Zion or jaw oh jaw all.
Speaker 3: Day long until Zion.
Speaker 2: It's a big what if, Steph or magic?
Speaker 1: If you there's only one right answer in this podcast.
Speaker 2: Booth, Oh my god, that's a hard question. I have to go magic. I have to go magic. He transcend that position.
Speaker 3: Changed the ambassaball forever.
Speaker 1: And you know, Steph is.
Speaker 2: You're not wrong exactly, but I'm gonna that's fine.
Speaker 3: Not said great point guard for sure, but no one quite compares to my Steffie.
Speaker 1: Now New York or La.
Speaker 2: I know I feel bad saying this, but New York all day.
Speaker 3: I mean you were dropping to the next So that's like, oh my god.
Speaker 2: I know my family's from New York too.
Speaker 1: I know you were born in White Plains. You know my dad was born in Westchester. Okay, yeah, so basically we both have like Westchester New York route. Yeah. Now rinaldo or messy.
Speaker 2: Oh, I have to say messy. I'm a messy guy.
Speaker 3: Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 2: Oh, I want to say I have to say Tom Brady just because, like I think you have to say, I respect his partying after he wins. I respect that he threw the trophy. I expect that they had to carry him out.
Speaker 3: Okay, Like if it broke, I don't understand.
Speaker 2: What was gonna go, right, somebody would have got it.
Speaker 3: I mean, if you watched that video his daughter, who's like seven, it's.
Speaker 1: Like, daddy, no, don't do it like a seven year old is like John Brady.
Speaker 2: Was lost in the sauce. But here's my thing. I appreciate that he still celebrates it as much as he does. It means something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it's true. Now these are gonna get slightly problematic. Okay, Doris Burke or me, uh, why is this taking you so long?
Speaker 3: Come on, give me a quick answer.
Speaker 2: No, Doris Burke is literally the nicest, most angelic human being of all time.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, and I'm not.
Speaker 2: But I'm gonna say you, ah, that's so nice, because I figure I'm gonna have to do Tennandy podcasts before I die and a bunch of TikTok yes and maybe one TikTok Now.
Speaker 1: I think you've been looking.
Speaker 3: For this one. But Richard Jefferson or you.
Speaker 2: Oh me, not even close. You could say Richard Jefferson or a fart. I take a part Richard Jefferson or a flat tire in the middle of a desert, flat tire in the middle of a desert. I work with him at a Yeah.
Speaker 3: I feel like you guys are like frenemies.
Speaker 2: You well, I've known since I was fourteen. We've known each other a long time. He's like, he's like an older brother I never.
Speaker 3: Asked for Ah, yeah, I get it.
Speaker 2: That's my step brother.
Speaker 3: How I feel with my brother, except he was never.
Speaker 1: In the NBA.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it's different. Yeah, Richard is awesome, but he gets on my damn nerves sometimes.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this is why we're gonna make a TikTok because like Richard Jefferson, like he's big on TikTok, loves TikTok, you just got to be better than him. So we gotta we gotta get on there.
Speaker 2: I feel like I'm the anti Richard. So if Richard eats steak, I'll eat a salad.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, well not for the TikTok case, because I really need to Okay, I could do this.
Speaker 3: Okay, thanks.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to Sloan nose and a big thank you to Channing Frop. Make sure to check out my Instagram and.
Speaker 3: TikTok at Sloan Notes.
Speaker 1: I talk about the NBA every day.
Speaker 3: Sloan is with a knee. By the way, make sure to go follow this