Speaker 1: All right, Ashley Bailey, all right, this is for you Hanesbrooke and Jeffrey in the morning. And she has been insisting in all caps that she needs more awkward Tuesday phone calls.
Speaker 2: Yes she has, Well, we can't fit more tuesdays in the week.
Speaker 1: It's true. That's a that's a problem that Ashley's happening. But today you get a brand new awkward Tuesday phone call. It's your day, Ashley, It's Tuesday. Yeah, and that's coming up in just a minute. But alexis what else do you see on the comment board? Yeah, we got a few from yesterday's second date update because that was yep, where she didn't tell us that she brought her two children on the date with.
Speaker 3: It.
Speaker 1: I don't remember, I think, I mean after one I lose track.
Speaker 4: Details.
Speaker 1: But Kyle Anderson said this show is why my girlfriend and I decided we're never breaking up. Oh kay, Yeah, because they can't go back into the dating world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people to get oh and someone else said, as a psych major, I find the show to be a gold mine. This particular episode is worthy of a paper.
Speaker 1: In the most professional words, all I can say is, wait, what what.
Speaker 4: Every week?
Speaker 2: It's like I cousis on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would be the worst therapist just because my face shows all of my judgment.
Speaker 2: Oh, I would.
Speaker 4: Text my friends immediately.
Speaker 5: I would tell the person the person just said, yeah.
Speaker 1: Than the last time. All right, let's get your brand new awkward Tuesday phone call started right now.
Speaker 2: It's a broken Jeffrey in the morning. And today one of our listeners has come to us with a curious conundrum.
Speaker 1: Oh, sounds like a mystery.
Speaker 2: Because something unwelcome has been living in his apartment. Oh my god, a pest of sorts that he just cannot get rid of. But why didn't he call pest control or his local exterminator because it's actually a living, breathing person.
Speaker 1: Oh my goshminators don't deal with them.
Speaker 2: His own friend even, And that's why he's turned to us for help. Because I have a feeling this pest is about to rear its ugly face and shock us all in a brand new awkward Tuesday phone call. That's next. It's awkward. It's awkward Tuesday phone call. What would you do if a friend of yours fell on hard times and needed your help? Would you step up for them? Yeahely and I'm not just asking that because Alexis is about to be kicked off her mom's insurance. But I'm glad to hear you're so altruistic about it.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Bro.
Speaker 2: So we'll get all ready.
Speaker 1: I can put you in as a dependent So I think we're okay, perfect.
Speaker 2: Now that that fire is put out. I also bring it up because one of our listeners apparently has a good friend who's going through a bit of a rough patch in life. Oh, and so he's reaching out to us for help. So, Chris, are you looking for a direct money donation from Brook or how exactly can we assist you today?
Speaker 3: So? I actually I had this awkward situation and I don't even know how to handle it.
Speaker 4: The Brook thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the first time someone hasn't taken me up on money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, keep him on the phone away, Brook. What's going on with you? And you said you had a buddy. What's his name?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: His name is Ethan?
Speaker 2: Okay, what's going on with Ethan?
Speaker 3: So pretty much he's falling on these hard times lately. He lost his job and to make things worse, he got dumped by his girlfriend of two years, all on the same time, and he had to move out, and I really wanted to be there for him, so I offered him to stay at my apartment. I have this spare room. You know, no problem till you get back on your feet. He was all about that, which was really cool.
Speaker 2: Okay, is he allowed in any other part of the apartment or just the spare room?
Speaker 3: So wait, wait till I tell you this. So pretty much the first week I didn't ask anything of him, like, nothing at all.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, your home be comfortable.
Speaker 3: Yea, as supportive as Yeah, he can crash on the couch, he can watch TV all that stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he probably could use that after getting done the breakup.
Speaker 3: No, no, nothing like that. Well, after a while he's been living here and using my utilities and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: I mean, who didn't see this coming?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean how long is a while?
Speaker 3: Well, he's been here for already, like four months.
Speaker 1: Has he offered to help chip in? I mean, maybe he can't cover his half yet?
Speaker 3: But nothing. He has not offered anything. And at the time he didn't have a job, so I pretty much reduced the raid. I was like, look, buddy, you don't have to give me anything, but when the time comes, you can maybe help out, and he said, yeah, sure, no problem.
Speaker 1: So you did have that conversation, then that's good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I mean he didn't really we didn't even touch base on it after that. You know, he'd just been crashing. He's been eating all of my groceries.
Speaker 4: And there wasn't like a number you said, like, hey, when you get on your feet, five.
Speaker 3: Hundred mon like nothing, nothing like that. I guess that was my mistake too. Maybe is he working now?
Speaker 6: He is?
Speaker 3: He actually has a part time job, part time.
Speaker 1: You can chip in some money, like yeah, you can't pay part time, but yeah, a hundred bucks.
Speaker 3: Or something exactly exactly. That's what I'm saying. That's why I called you guys, because I mean he's spending almost all his time just chilling at my place, like watching TV. He makes a really big mess and I'm like a neat freak, so I'm always picking up after him in I mean.
Speaker 1: You don't really know someone until you live with them totally, you know, totally.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I was. I was forgiving at first, but this has been going on for months, Like I say, so, yeah, I don't know. I just feel like a jerk even bringing this up. But like I feel like he should be helping out.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's well, and I also think it's it should be on him, because you've already said, like when you're back on your feet, this is the expectation, and.
Speaker 4: I think you know it's bad when it's your brotelling you.
Speaker 5: Like, girls are way clean, they're always gonna be liked.
Speaker 4: But that's like, help me.
Speaker 2: Bro, I mean, are you sure you don't want to help getting him to move out, because it doesn't sound like you two are really simpatico as roommates.
Speaker 3: That would be a good idea, of course, because I like my free time. But I mean, like I said, he's my really good friend. I mean I just would like for him to pitch in a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, well that's like and that sucks too, because like you're probably developing animosity towards him over it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I am, to be honest, Like there's times where I have to like squeeze in a meal just knowing that he's going to be home in like in an hour or so, so like I'm rushing to cook for myself and I even feel bad coming home with fast food and not having something for him.
Speaker 4: Oh, I feel that.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, and I understand it. That's got to be an awkward conversation. But it's like they always say, if you don't make your friends feel ashamed about themselves and their life choices, how else are they going to grow?
Speaker 6: I mean, okay, I don't know that.
Speaker 2: Did your friends not ever say that to you? Okay? I guess in the private schools we have different sayings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess.
Speaker 2: All right, well that's fine, but we'll come back, I guess, and we'll think of some good advice to give to you so that you can call your buddy slash roommate and start to ask him to pay his fair share of the rent.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, because that's what I was wondering. I'm like, how do I even approach this conversation and.
Speaker 1: Also clean up after himself and also not be such a slot?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: If nothing else, Brooke will let him live at her place down in the basement, no, okay, up in the attic then right now, we can't do that.
Speaker 1: Even the kids have to do chores, Jeff, Oh, yeah, there's nobody that goes without a workload in my house.
Speaker 2: All right. That house has enough of a hell hole. So we'll come up with better advice and let you make your awkward Tuesday phone call right after this. Hold on, man, it's awkward. It's Tuesday.
Speaker 4: It's awkward Tuesday phone call.
Speaker 2: It's Brook and Jeffrey in the morning, and we're dealing with a fairly common situation here where you try to help someone out and feel like they're taking advantage of your kindness. And what's the saying, don't mistake my kindness for weakness. I think McCaulay culkin said that to the Robbers in Home Alone, yea or no?
Speaker 7: Was it?
Speaker 2: John Stamos said that to the Full House Twins. Yeah, a lot of that's going around on TV and on movies, but maybe it's just a life lesson that stayed with me. That definitely applies to our listener Chris today because he took in a close buddy of his who lost his job and his girlfriend almost at the same time. Guy's been staying with him for the last four months and it's not going well because his buddy is super messy, not helping to chip in for the rent, and he's decided at this point something has to.
Speaker 1: Change the rent or the food, jeff all of it.
Speaker 2: So how do we help him broach that topic of conversation. Brooke, what's your advice.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing.
Speaker 4: You sound pretty upset.
Speaker 2: I am upset. I don't think that this is oh, Chris.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Chris, I feel for any I mean, he was heated, dude. I think what you do is you just tell your roommate, hey, listen, my nephew's coming into town.
Speaker 4: So he's got to leave for a couple of weeks just so.
Speaker 1: That you can give some space to clear your mind before you have this terrible conversation with him.
Speaker 2: So it sounds like, again, Brook, your advice is to not make the awkward Tuesday phone call in this segment that we're actively doing right now.
Speaker 1: I mean, the problem is is that I just don't think you can have a productive conversation when your emotions are really high.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're going to cancel that and move right on over to Jose. What's your advice, Jose.
Speaker 4: I would just.
Speaker 5: Tell him that the landlord saw, oh blame the landlord, like they noticed him coming in and out of the apartment, and it's totally cool. But that just means you got to put him on the least and you guys should probably start talking about payments.
Speaker 1: M this is actually really helpful, Mose.
Speaker 2: Okay, what do you feel about that?
Speaker 3: Chris? Can?
Speaker 2: Can you blame your landlord?
Speaker 3: I mean I guess I could, But I mean, do you guys have any other advice?
Speaker 4: Oh, this happened to.
Speaker 1: Me and I just complained in silence for like five months and suffered.
Speaker 4: So don't ask me. I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 1: If I remember when Alexis started here, she was living with five people in a two bedroom apartment. Nobody was paying except for her.
Speaker 2: Oh, so maybe you can send your buddy Ethan over to live with Alexis's friends.
Speaker 4: I won't kick him out.
Speaker 2: I won't be able to community living. But here we go. I'm gonna dial Ethan's number, and we're gonna step back and let you do this. You got it? Are you ready?
Speaker 3: All right? Okay? Okay, okay, okay, here's your friend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nothing on the line except friendship, so here.
Speaker 3: Okay, Hello, hey bro, what's up? What do you? What do you want to wait? Is Chris? Yeah? Oh, dude, you call from a weird number. I don't know. Maybe it's uh, I don't know. I'm calling for my phone. I don't know why. Oh oh that's weird. Okay, Yeah, man, dude, I'm just I'm just hanging dude. Man, I'm tired today.
Speaker 6: I didn't get enough restless. But Hagan, do you want to or some pizza or something.
Speaker 3: You want them? No, I'm not. I'm actually at work. Oh burger.
Speaker 6: That sucks, dude.
Speaker 3: You know what could you? Could you steal?
Speaker 6: Like DoorDash diffrom your phone?
Speaker 3: Would that be cool? Are you being serious? You want me to door dash your food at my place? Is that?
Speaker 6: Is?
Speaker 3: Am I hearing it correctly? Dude? I'm a little white this week?
Speaker 6: Man? Could you help me out.
Speaker 3: Just a little bit? You're always light every week. That's actually the reason why I'm calling you about.
Speaker 6: What? What?
Speaker 3: That? This is why you're calling man. You've you've been staying in my place for a while now, and if I'm being totally honest, it's just I just I'm starting to feel like I'm getting take advantage of Wait, wait, who's taking advantage of you? Well? You you are. That's or that's how it feels, Chris, Abe, it's right out me.
Speaker 6: You have don't want I take.
Speaker 3: An advantage of you? Dude. Wa. Well, it's it's been months. I've been helping you out, and you literally just asked me to pay for your lunch and you know I'm covering most share of the rent.
Speaker 7: And hold on, dude, hold on, hold on. Okay, you told me that I could stay here and you would take care of everything, right, he said, it was no problem, right, he said, he said, don't.
Speaker 6: Worry, dude, I got you. Man, This is you getting it right now? Man?
Speaker 3: Right? Yeah, exactly. Well, I said that I can help you out for a while, but I didn't I didn't mean I'd cover your expenses forever. And you have a job now, you're working part time?
Speaker 6: Yeah, dude, I am working part time.
Speaker 3: Not like your job though. Bro, Wait what is that supposed to mean? Dude?
Speaker 6: Come on, come on, dude, we both know you're making a lot more money than I am.
Speaker 3: Dude, don't play man ethan. That doesn't both, that doesn't even matters. That's not what we're talking about right now.
Speaker 6: Hey, be honest, man, it's just me and you to be honest. Money do you actually make?
Speaker 3: Tell me what? What?
Speaker 6: How much?
Speaker 3: Dude?
Speaker 6: How much how much do you actually make? Dude?
Speaker 3: Tell me what does that have anything to do with this? Like?
Speaker 6: What are you saying you know what I has to do, because you know what the other day I was born, right, I'll try to run around. Came across from your bank statements and Chris.
Speaker 3: Those are the big numbers, dude.
Speaker 6: What do you mean what do you think those numbers were that normous?
Speaker 3: Dude? Bro, Bro, you can't be going through my stuff. That's not okay.
Speaker 6: If you want to come at me asking for money, you should be making less than two hundred thousand dollars a year. Dude, You're not.
Speaker 3: You're not. What are you?
Speaker 1: Chris?
Speaker 3: Whoa? What is this? What is that? Hold on?
Speaker 2: Chris? You really make that much money to do anything? They could do with anything?
Speaker 1: He works hard and he's.
Speaker 2: Okay, sorry, you're right, you're right.
Speaker 1: Yes, No, it doesn't mean he should be paying for his buddy.
Speaker 2: It's fine. We'll get a job application forever you work after this, quick, Ethan, you're probably hearing a lot of people right now because you're on the radio with a show called Brook and Jeffrey in the morning.
Speaker 3: I'm on the radio.
Speaker 6: Wait, how are I on the radio?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well, the magic of your friend emailing us asking for help, because this is a segment called the Awkward Tuesday phone call.
Speaker 4: We've been listening the whole time.
Speaker 1: Why are you going through his bank statements?
Speaker 3: Okay, look, it was just there.
Speaker 6: It was just there on the on the calendar.
Speaker 3: I didn't just go rumging through his stuff. I'm not that kind of friend.
Speaker 1: He didn't have your name on it.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm sure he was cleaning it. He was cleaning up the calendar, and it just his eye for a second.
Speaker 1: You're freeloading off your buddy, man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's get to the core of why we're doing this entire call, Ethan, is because your friend Chris reached out needing help addressing the fact that you've been staying with him now for it sounds like four months and haven't contributed anything to dude.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but did you hear how much he makes you like?
Speaker 4: Sugar baby? Dude like.
Speaker 2: It doesn't matter, sugar buddy? Is that a thing?
Speaker 4: I don't know, sugar, but I like that.
Speaker 3: Man. That's not even the point. The other day you used all my toothbrush and then you had the audacity to tell me to go to the store and get some more wait, toothpaste, by another toothbrush.
Speaker 6: You could buy a toothbrush for every day of the week.
Speaker 1: Bo.
Speaker 3: But that's not even the point here.
Speaker 4: It's the morals.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 5: It's like, I mean, I'm trying to say the base of it.
Speaker 1: It feels weird, Like you don't feel weird not paying for your share, not doing your part.
Speaker 6: Honestly, it feels weird that he's not paying for more. We should have a better apartment. This apartment is a.
Speaker 7: Dude.
Speaker 1: Don't get a full time job and move out, I think, is what he's trying to say.
Speaker 3: Chris.
Speaker 6: If the roles were reversed right, and like I was in your shoes and you were in my shoes, I wouldn't ask you for a single.
Speaker 2: Dime oh wow.
Speaker 6: And I wouldn't be over here faking being poor and like I'm some secret one percent Wow.
Speaker 2: What does that mean?
Speaker 6: You should see this place. It's a dupe, and you should see the crappy car. He has a way better car.
Speaker 1: Guys his money probably why he has money, he sees.
Speaker 2: A lot of potential in you, Chris, reading between the lines in a good way.
Speaker 3: You know what, Ethan, it doesn't matter because my landlord saw you the other day and she actually reached out and she told me that we need to sign a lease and I need to probably even have you on the lease now.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, yeah, I.
Speaker 6: Mean if I got to sign a least, I'm okay with sign a least, but you definitely got to pay more.
Speaker 3: Dude, you have the bigger rooms.
Speaker 2: Just real estate wise, that seems fair.
Speaker 3: Ethn.
Speaker 2: We all, we all understand that you've fallen on a rough time in your life. And the whole reason that Chris even wanted to do this is because he values your friendship. He doesn't want to be kicking you out on your butt with nowhere else to go. He just wants a little bit of fairness.
Speaker 6: I get it, man, I'm trying to be respectful. You know, I didn't want to bring any ladies over anything like that. But you know one's gonna happen this weekend. He's definitely gonna come over and ever gonna hang out.
Speaker 2: Hold on, in that case, she better get he better get the bigger room. If there's going to be.
Speaker 3: Gonna have to swamp all right, you know what, we'll meet with the landlord and we'll just figure everything out. Okay, Well, we'll sort everything out somehow. I guess.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's good, is it?
Speaker 1: It just sounds like he's stuck.
Speaker 6: With each No, nobody stuck with me.
Speaker 3: I'm a privilege to live.
Speaker 2: No, I get it. Brook tells us all the time. It's a privilege that we get to work with her. Same vine rookie Jeffrey in the morning. I want to say that we helped with that situation, but think so. Why do I feel like we're going to get a call one year from now from Chris again saying help he's still living here, yeah, or yeah, I kicked him out and now he's living with my landlord and charging me rent.
Speaker 1: Oh man, I just love that his friend thinks that he's owed somehow some of Chris's money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you said Chris was the one that came to him being like, I'll spot you. I got you. You don't have to worry. He took it a little bit too far.
Speaker 5: Yeah, checked his bank account to see how.
Speaker 1: Long it could actually financially.
Speaker 2: Last, I will say, don't leave your bank statements all over your apartment though. If you don't, if you're yeah, if you're letting somebody live there, don't leave them out for everyone to see and then get and then complain.
Speaker 4: If we're going to give Chris anything as a mistake.
Speaker 2: That was a bad mood on the party. It does sound like Ethan needs to find his own personal motivation though, because that's what they say is you can't make people want to change, They have to want it themselves.
Speaker 4: You should make su or K on his own doing what he wants.
Speaker 1: At least find a girlfriend that's making money so he can move off or her. Chris isn't even getting any like Bennies.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Ship, Ethan just wants to keep living that sugar buddy life and for it.
Speaker 4: I love that you invented sugar buddy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do want one that's top. We could be your sugar buddies and call somebody who you need help calling. We can do it with your awkward Tuesday phone call email the show. We could help you out.