Speaker 1: Dear let you know USA listener. Before we start, you should know that if you want to listen to this episode ad free, just join Plus and you can join for as little as seven dollars a month. Joining also gets you behind the scenes access and yes, some cheese may so click the link in the episode description and after you do that, then click play. Let's go to the show. So the World Cup has come to an end after more than five weeks of all things soccer or football. It was the longest World Cup ever because more countries were added to the tournament and yes, even I found myself engrossed with several of the games. This was also the first time that the games were held across three Frankly, there were quite a few firsts this summer, which is saying something for a global competition that's been around for almost one hundred years. Here at Futuro, we've been bringing you weekly episodes of American Football, a podcast about soccer culture in the United States and it's underdog roots. Our episodes go beyond the sport to the people and the stories that make it great. It's hosted by our very own Fernanda Echavaris. For our show today, we're going to play the latest episode of American Football, which looks at the significance of this World Cup and its most controversial moments. Here it is American football.
Speaker 2: My dad was football to me.
Speaker 3: We used to watch the World Cup together, and if we weren't in the same city, we were constantly on the phone. I mentioned in the first episode of this podcast that I was feeling anxious about watching the World Cup for the first time since my dad's passing. I didn't know if the tournament would make me miss my dad more or bring me.
Speaker 2: Closer to him.
Speaker 3: Now that we've reached the end six weeks later, all I can say is that this wasn't an either or question, because both things happened. There were many instances in which I had these flashed thoughts that I could still reach from my phone and call my dad, wanting to talk about a shocking moment on the field, a confusing ref call, or a prediction in real time. My dad always picked up. He always had an answer that made sense. But this World Cup I didn't have him anymore.
Speaker 2: It hurt.
Speaker 3: I specifically remember a confusing moment in the group stage when the Qatar goalie got hit, but it ended up as a penalty against his team. So I messaged my younger sister in Mexico, the one who, unlike me, is all sports all the.
Speaker 2: Time, sarvish, who's tosta momento? It's from the lib.
Speaker 3: This is one of those moments when I would have asked Dad about this. I told her, so I need you to fill in for him. The three of us used to text a bunch during previous World Cups.
Speaker 4: Avish liouplnted.
Speaker 3: I can't remember which game I was watching when I heard an announcer on Telemundo say that this was a World Cup of nostalgia and joy. He said, and I felt that my dad had the superpower of bringing all the good vibes wherever he went, and I'm sure he would have enjoyed the hell out of this World Cup. I also wonder what he would have thought of these uh and commercial I mean hi dration breaks. What he would have said about the shameless lack of separation between politics and sport, and his take on the high tech sensors that are so sensitive they annulled a goal because of a strand of hair. Every time Mexico played, I felt my dad's absence the heaviest, but that's also when I felt closest to him. Because Mexico did incredible things this summer.
Speaker 2: I mean wow.
Speaker 3: I got to watch Mexico win at times surrounded by hundreds of green jerseys at watch parties I also hosted at home. I think I watched I want to say, eighty percent of the matches. I mean there were one hundred and four for the first time ever, so that's a lot. I watched while I work. To be fair, this was work. I streamed on my phone so I could listen while driving. I even once stepped out of a movie theater to watch penalty kicks, pacing back and forth in the theater hallway, quietly grunting like.
Speaker 2: A crazy person. I wore yellow.
Speaker 3: When I went to watch the Colombia game with my Colombian friends, I put on a red shirt and rode my butt off. In the Norway England game, I rooted for Egypt and Cabo Verde as if they were a team I had supported for years.
Speaker 2: I suffered with my favorites lost.
Speaker 5: He love you, alaa Alaimoma, Mexico, Mexico traj and.
Speaker 3: The best part of it all, the highest in a summer full of highs and lows? Was that my young daughter learned all about the World Cup? Hey kittle, Yeah, can you do me a favor? And can you tell me what is the World Cup?
Speaker 5: The World Cup is special everything. I just want to say God and we go like yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: And also the people.
Speaker 5: Who played before soccer it's great. Shakita, oh eh.
Speaker 2: Of course she loves Shakida, she's my daughter. Do you know why the World Cup is so important to me?
Speaker 5: I just know why it is because you not watched it. So he likes soccer, So you like soccer. You've growed up being liking soccer.
Speaker 2: That's true. Actually, can I tell you what my favorite part of the World Cup was?
Speaker 6: My favorite part of it?
Speaker 2: But you don't know what my favorite part of the World Cup is?
Speaker 6: I do you do?
Speaker 5: It's really special to you because you haven't seen the World Cup.
Speaker 3: With me and this is the first time we get to watch together. Do you know how happy that made me to have you wearing the mix?
Speaker 5: Really happy, really happy, really happy. And my favorite part was that everybody was together.
Speaker 2: Honestly, it did feel like everybody was together.
Speaker 3: I love the nods that I got when I wore my Mexico jersey out in daily life. I love that we all rooted for all the countries our friends are from, that we laughed and stressed and meaned together in every group chat. And yes, most of all, I loved passing on the ritual of watching it all with my daughter, just like my dad watched with me. I'm Fernanda Chavarri and this is American Footboard, a show about soccer culture in the US and it's underdog roots. Today the end, I sit down with a soccer expert and super fan to discuss this World Cup significance, the few firsts, which is saying something for a global competition that's been around almost one hundred years. We'll talk about the most controversial moments, and of course about Spain's journey to the coveted trophy. I am now joined again by Jasmine Gars. She covered the World Cup friend PR, where she's also an immigration correspondent and you and I. Jasmin also worked together on a podcast Last World Cup about MESSI called The Last Cup. So Jasmine, thank you so much for.
Speaker 6: Being here, Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: You know, this has been you could call it a lot of things.
Speaker 3: This has been an electrifying World Cup, to say the least, and so much has happened on and off the field. But let's work our way backwards and start with some of your thoughts about how the final unfolded. Spain won Argentina zero. I have to say I had Spain winning it all in my bracket. I think I might have told you this earlier, and I think that the second half show does that Spain truly earned that trophy. Was this the end that you expected, Jasmine?
Speaker 4: I'm going to say something controversial, which is that I didn't think that was a very exciting game. I can name off the top of my head, like five more electrifying games that I watched.
Speaker 3: Starting with the game that happened the day before. Yeah, totally much more exciting. Part of that is because Spain dominated so hard. It was almost like there was only one team on the pitch. It reminded me of that phrase.
Speaker 4: I think it's like from Batman, when an unstoppable force meets an unmovable object. I mean, like Spain is on another level. Their defense was completely impenetrable.
Speaker 6: Argentina kind of fell apart.
Speaker 4: By the end of the game, Spain had done twenty attempts at a goal, one of which ended up being a goal, and Argentina had done two.
Speaker 2: That's crazy.
Speaker 6: That's how good the defense was.
Speaker 4: And I think Argentina made them work for it, but Spain was the better team and they absolutely deserve that win.
Speaker 6: Were extraordinary.
Speaker 3: I have to bring up the picture that's gone viral, the one of twenty year old learn and Messi bathing baby Lamin Yamal, because first of all, this is like destiny. I mean in all of the things that I saw about he's nineteen and they're nineteen years apart, and this is being played on the.
Speaker 2: Nineteenth and the number nineteen.
Speaker 3: So can we talk about that photo please?
Speaker 6: Yes.
Speaker 4: The origin story of that is a raffle put together by like a local newspaper and in conjunction with UNISEF, several families got to take their newborn to meet the player, and so Lamina Mal's parents take him to meet Messi, and I think it was like a beautiful passing of the torch. I think people love to focus on the rivalry, but I think, you know, Messi has expressed a huge admiration for Lamina Mal, and Lamina Mal is an extraordinary player who is like kind of entering his stardom, and Messi is slowing down right like this is actually expected to be his last Cup, but he's going to be in his forties in the next Cup. That photo is really like a sort of almost like biblical Star Wars, the and paving of the torch. I also think like I was talking to a fan before the game, a young guy who was saying to me, well, no matter what I win, because I'm a huge Barsa fan. And really on that field it was to some degree like a Barsa reunion, and it speaks a lot to the Barsa system and the Spanish soccer system, and how like extraordinary.
Speaker 2: It is a system that formed Le Messi.
Speaker 6: And La Minama.
Speaker 4: It is the academy. And I think what we saw on that field is that.
Speaker 3: You know, La Minyama didn't have many goals or that many assists, but he played an essential role in Spain's offensive strategy throughout. What does he represent for the future of soccer in this new upcoming era that you know, perhaps four years from now we will have a World Cup without Ronaldo and without Messi.
Speaker 6: It's a changing of the guard.
Speaker 4: When I see La mignaml I see someone who is just like fierce and hungry and needs a little bit of like sharpening. He's nineteen, of course he needs sharpening. Of course, when Messi was nineteen, he needed sharpening. But it's so exciting. I didn't really get to see Messi's beginnings because you know, we're sort of in the same age bracket. But to get to see like the birth of a legend that is so exciting.
Speaker 3: Yes, I want to talk a little bit about how the World Cup felt. You and I throughout we're texting about a few things, and this was a World Cup that felt a little bit of mare recognized to me.
Speaker 2: Oh, yes, you know commercialized.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's always been driven by and profit and corporations. But there was something about that halftime show, the hydration breaks. So you're making already gestures with your hands, tell me your thoughts.
Speaker 4: Yes, I really wanted to talk to you about the halftime show, So hydration breaks.
Speaker 6: I've let it go. Oh because I've been there.
Speaker 3: Because you needed the hydration break. And how many stadiums did you go to? At least six and you were sweating at all of them?
Speaker 6: Oh it was bad. Yeah, like the heat has been really bad.
Speaker 4: You know, even with the hydration breaks, you're seeing players cramp. I'm not saying, for the record, I'm not saying I agree with the hydration breaks, but I can see an argument for it. But that halftime show as a soccer fan really irked me.
Speaker 2: Tell me why, because there's a natural.
Speaker 4: Flow to soccer in which you go, go, go, go, and depending on what team you are, you're either winning and you need to cement it quick, or you're losing and you need to stage a comeback quick, and you got about fifteen minutes to think about how you're going to do one of the two. Soccer is a frenetic sport. Soccer is anxietyness for like ninety minutes, maybe one hundred and twenty, and it lost that like it was thirty minutes the halftime, Yeah, was around the amount of time of an entire first half, and I felt like it really lost the flow and that franticness of soccer.
Speaker 3: See that's how I felt about hydration breaks, especially when a team was really getting its groove and then hydration break, Like what, No, don't stop soccer, You don't stop this. I hear what you're saying about you being in the stadium and understanding why the hydration breaks were needed, but I felt, in a smaller way how you felt about the halftime show.
Speaker 6: Yeah, tell me how you felt about the halftime show.
Speaker 3: I thought it was a little strange, And the strangest part of it all was like Justin Bieber showing up as a sort of like the drunk guy at the party that decides to pull out an acoustic guitar at two am and brings the whole vibe down and you're like, mijoh, no.
Speaker 2: Listen, I love a show. Yeah, but I did think it was long.
Speaker 3: I think they should have just done maybe one artist. And I'm also understanding that it's crazy to ask, you know, the soccer field to become a sort of stage and a spectacle in a very short amount of time.
Speaker 2: But I do think it was too long.
Speaker 4: I joked to someone that, like, Argentina has only been playing well in the second half, and now they're going to like think this is a first half again.
Speaker 3: And yeah, resting for that long is like when you're at a wedding and you're wearing really tight shoes or uncomfortable shoes and you take them off for a second, you can't put them back on.
Speaker 6: Like you can't.
Speaker 3: You got to just like power through it. And that's how I felt about that.
Speaker 6: I love that analogy. Well, that's a great analogy.
Speaker 3: After the break, we get into some of the biggest controversies surrounding the tournament and the underdog team that captured all of our hearts.
Speaker 4: Ola.
Speaker 7: So it's just Canada, Rivera, It's just passio and it's the podcast story is a kiness Oia and trona penitencia and personal.
Speaker 6: Penitencia.
Speaker 7: Can a persona covet the la scucha penitencia and call calata for my podcast.
Speaker 3: This is American Football. I'm Fernando Chavari. Let's get back to my conversation with reporters Jasmine Gars. You know the three host countries, Mexico, the US, and Canada. Sorry Canada, there's so much more to talk about when it comes to the US in Mexico. Yeah, I love you Canada, but you know, one the US, this is the first time that one of the host countries is actively at war with one of the participating countries. And we really saw sort of a contrast on how to be a good host. So I think Mexico showed that and we had so many videos of the reception of the Iranian team last minute and just how people felt being in Mexico and felt welcomed by Mexican fans and just Mexico in general. And then on top of that, you have the US with this controversial red card situation. How would you explain the red card situation and why was that so meaningful?
Speaker 4: So the US, you know, like superstar Fuller and Balagun gets a red card and he's their star. This is going to be a huge problem moving forward. And then President Trump says like he publicly says that he called FIFA and said.
Speaker 6: You know, this was not a fair call.
Speaker 4: We know that President Trump and FIFA President Johnny and Fandino have been seen together, They've expressed a closeness. So it was really seen as like the US government interfering in that red call, and FIFA effectively removed the red card annulled it. And then you know, the US goes on to lose tremendously against Belgium, which I think there was like some kind of psychological thing happening too.
Speaker 6: Even though Belgium's are a good team.
Speaker 3: It had to have done something to them, especially you know, I don't know how online they are. I hope that the players are not online during the World Cup much. But I mean there was also all of this it's got the Trump touch. Now they're going to lose. Yeah, it had to have effect at the players, and I think that US fans also didn't think that was a great thing for how they look to the world.
Speaker 4: It really really FIFA corruption, which has been an ongoing accusation here.
Speaker 6: And it also just, you know, like we're at this moment in the US.
Speaker 4: In which there's these conversations about tatalitarianism and the overreach of this government. And it was this moment in which we were jolted out of the World Cup fantasy and back into like world reality.
Speaker 6: I think that's what it was like. It for a moment, the illusion was shattered.
Speaker 3: Every World Cup has an underdog that's a crisis or a few underdogs, and I think in this World Cup that team was. They played their first World Cup ever and they won everyone's hearts. So what would you say made them such a special team to watch throughout this World Cup?
Speaker 6: I started off telling you that this final.
Speaker 4: You know, I can think off the top of my head of you know, five other games we've seen in this Championship that are more electrifying, and a lot of those games are with cave Verd. Gabo Verde was stunning. They were defensively, they were a wall. I do think there's this narrative that they kind of came out of nowhere. Certainly this was their first World Cup that they qualified for, but Gaba Vedade for the last like ten years or so has been playing extraordinary soccer in the African Championships.
Speaker 6: They didn't quite come out of nowhere.
Speaker 4: And I think, you know, something I've been saying throughout this tournament is like African soccer had a huge moment, and I predict in twenty thirty it's going to be just a tournament where we just see African soccer completely like bloom on the world stage.
Speaker 6: And the indication I have of that is gabl abdebe.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's no doubt about that. We saw so many teams play beautiful games.
Speaker 3: Yes, this World Cup. I want to talk about some of the less fun things of this World Cup. You know, we had already talked about FIFA in interfering in the US with the red card. Yeah, what were some of the controversies that stood out to you the most.
Speaker 6: I think the red card controversy was huge.
Speaker 4: I think the treatment of Iranian players, Like we're so far removed from that moment now that I don't think people are talking about it a lot. But like the Iranian team was being forced to shuttle back and forth from Tijuana to you know, wherever they were playing after every game. I mean it was like they had an added four hour commute back and forth because they weren't allowed to stay in the US because of the conflict right now.
Speaker 6: It was putting this team through exhaustion.
Speaker 4: I think VAR was hugely controversial, hugely controversial, And I think the VR question goes beyond like soccer. I think like it's really tapping into this larger question we're having in society right now about technology.
Speaker 6: At what point does technology help? At what point does it hint?
Speaker 4: And if technology is ultimately being handled and decided by humans, how unbiased can it really be? You know, because the ref is deciding ultimately, there's a human behind the VAR. And I think also like rumors or so many rumors of FIFA and Leo Messi and like Argentina and was it fixed the infamous Argentina Egypt game. What I think about that, I think FIFA protects its stars like FIFA protects its money makers, you know, like Pifa's there to make money. And I think FIFA does go more lenient on m Babe, on Ronaldo, on Messi because they're the big ticket salespeople.
Speaker 6: They're the stars. Do I think the game was rigged?
Speaker 4: Well, I think if it was, it wasn't done so very successfully. To me, A personal controversy was Mexico England, because I think Mexico played so well I know, and deserved to win that game. And I will say those of us who watch soccer all the time know that there is a degree of skill and a huge amount of merit and who works the hardest, but sometimes it's just dumb luck.
Speaker 3: Coming up, we wrap up our conversation talking about some of the historic firsts of the tournament and the biggest storylines that won this World Cup. That's after the break. This is American football, am Fernanda Charvari. Let's wrap up my conversation with Jasmine Cars. You know, we've mentioned some firsts in this World Cup, and I don't want us to rap without mentioning that we had the first match ever with an all women referee. Trio Mexico became the first country to host for the third time, and then this was the first time that we had forty eight teams instead of thirty two. What are your thoughts now on having wrapped a World Cup that was a little longer with more teams.
Speaker 4: I'm on the fence about it because if it hadn't been that way, we might not have seen gabovet if it hadn't been like so inclusive. Now I'm they have a new fan in me same. I do think it was a little too long this World Cup. It felt like towards the end I started getting world cupped out again. It might be because I've been traveling to like three different cities every week.
Speaker 6: How did you feel about this?
Speaker 3: I loved having a longer World Cup. I will say that because more games just it's just more fun for me. But what about the FIFA president Janni and Fantino saying that he opening up the possibility of sixty four teams in the Men's World Cup in the future.
Speaker 2: Now that that'd be too much?
Speaker 4: I mean, I think there's also something to say about the wear and tear on the players towards the end.
Speaker 6: We were seeing teams being very worn out.
Speaker 2: You know, this was really a World Cup of stories.
Speaker 3: And in the very first episode of the series, I asked a soccer expert what makes a good World Cup? And he said, the stories, Yes, the football, but also the stories. What do you think is one big story that will stay with you from.
Speaker 2: This World Cup?
Speaker 4: I hate to be repetitive, but Cape Verd, every match they played felt like a David and Goliath. To me, the match between Argentina and Cape Verd, I will remember that game my whole life. I think it was one of the most extraordinary matches I've ever seen, to the point where to the last minute I did not know who was gonna win.
Speaker 6: I had two.
Speaker 4: Articles ready to publish, wow, because I had no idea what was going to happen. And I think, to me, like that was one of the big stories, Like this David that kept putting the brakes on all the Goliaths.
Speaker 6: I mean, Spain couldn't beat them, you know.
Speaker 4: And I think also like probably the sort of passing of the torch between Messi and La Mio is another one.
Speaker 2: It's a beautiful story.
Speaker 6: It's a beautiful story, you know.
Speaker 4: I think it's also, like, despite a lot of the online narrative about you know, messy and like, you know the reality of like some bad sportsmanship that we've seen on the field while everyone else was kind of misbehaving, those two showed us what real athleticism and being a winner means.
Speaker 3: And now the thing is, are all the moms gonna want to have MESSI give their babies a bath to pass that? Thank you, Messy Magic, Please just give my baby a bath, Massy.
Speaker 6: What's Matthew's next incardination? Dou La.
Speaker 3: Jasmine Gars, thank you so much for speaking with us and for chatting with me again.
Speaker 6: Thank you for having me. I love this show.
Speaker 1: That was an episode of American Football, a podcast about US soccer culture from our very own Futuro Studios. Make sure to go to the American Football podcast feed and subscribe. You can also find a link in this episode description and remember it's American Football f Utbol.
Speaker 3: American Football is produced by Futuro Studios in collaboration with Iheart's.
Speaker 2: Michael Dura podcast Network. I'm your host Fernande Charvai.
Speaker 3: This episode was produced by andres Caabajerro and Levi Sharp, Rebecca Evarra is our senior editor who also did the fact checking mixing by Julia Caruso.
Speaker 2: Victoria Strada is our production manager.
Speaker 3: Our executive producers are Marlon Bishop and Maria Garcia at Futuro Studios. Executive producers at iHeart are Leo Gomez and Arlene Santana. Futuro Media was founded by Maria Nojosa. You can listen to more episodes on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you get your shows, and if you like this one, give us a rating, a review, tell your friends thanks for listening.
Speaker 8: Latino USA is made possible in part by the Melon Foundation. Melon makes grants to support the visionaries and communities that unlock the power of the arts and humanities to help connect us all. More at Melon dot org. The Heisin Simon's Foundation Unlocking Knowledge, opportunity and possibilities more at Hsfoundation dot org, and the John D. And Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation
Speaker 6: MHM