Speaker 1: I firmly believe that Mike Calvarcia is having an all star caliber campaign this year. To see where he's come from to where he is now, it's been truly remarkable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what he said.
Speaker 3: That's what he said.
Speaker 4: That's what he said.
Speaker 3: That's what he said.
Speaker 5: I'm tired of the wishy, washy fans, the haters out of here.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna trigger somebody today.
Speaker 5: Okay, I'm gonna trigger somebody because I'm tired of the fans or the haters that are sitting around waiting on the Tigers to fail.
Speaker 6: Right, Well, watch, Ernest, I'll tell you they're gonna fail. Watch it. You're that I told you so person Like you're waiting around so you could be like I told you so. Look, I know you they were gonna struggle. Look, let's see if they do that in July.
Speaker 5: Well, then they do it in July, then you're gonna say, well, all out.
Speaker 6: Like what do you want?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 6: What baseball are you watching?
Speaker 4: That?
Speaker 6: You're not seeing what we're seeing. You know, the this is not a fluke.
Speaker 5: These guys are a a solid baseball team.
Speaker 8: Preach Austin Jackson, part of Tiger territory, so we're gonna highlight some of our shows part of the FTAM network. So that's one Austin talking to Cody Stavenhagen and Karen Steckley, and I love that Cam. I mean, Austin's kind of new to the broadcast game and he's he's finding his voice and also calling out the trolls. Right if you're a Tiger fan right now.
Speaker 6: Absolutely shouldn't be complaining much.
Speaker 9: And let's be honest, that's not the usual nature of a Tiger's fan, right the Tigers fan, the real Tigers Tiger fan is going through it, gonna be through the team, through the thick end of thing. And right now, like Austin said, what we're seeing isn't a fluke. I think the little tastes of last year. Have they finished the second half, the taste of the playoffs being a game or pitch or just you know, one moment away from going as far as they've been in years, And now they went out and brought back Flairty, brought back some veteran pieces the bullpen.
Speaker 2: They figured that blueprint out the past few seasons.
Speaker 9: They have a starting five rotation that I would and trade for anybody right now, arguably in the game right now, if you talk about how they've been throwing, and then you have good problems like Matt Deerley coming back, Meadows coming back, if you can get anything from Aulis Cod when he gets back, and then you have Hobby Bayaz, Right, Hobby Baya is playing good baseball is really it's contagious for people around him. Right he's out in the center field, he's playing loose. What's happening is not a fluke. It's real, and especially when you look at what they have to compare themselves against in that division. Like you said, it's a good division, but I think right now that's the team to beat. And I love Austin triggering some people in Detroit. Let's go, like, don't give me that wishy, washy fan base stuff.
Speaker 2: Believe in these boys. They're here to play.
Speaker 4: Good for whom. Good for him. He played there long enough, he knows that fan base, so he knows and good for him. Yeah, get behind, get behind these guys, or don't don't don't go back and forth a fan or don't be a fan.
Speaker 8: That's it, straight up, all right, Next up, we got a couple more for That's what he said. Let's dive back into the Red Sox first base situation. I don't think anybody believes that the current status is going to be the plan for the rest of the year. But Gabrielle Star, friend of the show, tweets that Korra was asked about a conversation on first base with Rafayeldevers in the last couple of days and the answer was just a simple no. When they said as he planned to, and the answer again was no. Aj, do you think that there's beef between Alex and Raffi or he's just keeping it simple and being like, uh nah, he's just dhing. Or do you think that there's residual effects from what happened a couple months ago in spring training?
Speaker 4: He's being consistent, I'll give him that. I don't know why they're being so hardcore about this. They just must really hate Raffi Devers in the field. I just I don't understand why they're being so hardcore about this. If you can put Raffi Devers at first base and it makes your team better, isn't that what this is all about? So if you look at your roster and you look at what you have in the minor leagues, you say, well, Raffi Devers at first base makes us a better team, shouldn't you at least say we'll think about it. Right now it's a no, but maybe down the line we might change something. I don't think there's a beef, but I think that it's interesting the way they just keep saying a hard no. So this just mean Raffi Devers' is DH for the rest of his career. Because if you're going to go a whole year and you lose your first basement for the year, and you have a guy that could probably do it, wouldn't you think that'd be the easy move. But they keep just saying a hard no. So I don't know. It's a weird situation in Boston because they're just so adamant about it. There's not even a like, we'll see It's like nope, nope, nope.
Speaker 8: If you want to be boogie and have your own personal shopper, Hunger Riot is actually the spot, and you can do it at an affordable price.
Speaker 10: Yeah, without a doubt. And especially with my busy schedule with kids on the run all the time, baseball, gymnastics, I need to source. That's gonna get me going and my kids as well. So I'll pop in an easy chicken palm or grilled chicken, put it in a nice container, get it to go, and the kids are excited and they're full, and they're nutritional, and it's ready to rock for their games.
Speaker 8: There will be snacks that you have never heard of that you will immediately fall in love with. They will pick them out for you if you want. Obviously, you can go on there. You pick all of your preferences. Hunger Root gets the job done, okay, ftfam, we love hunger Root. Take advantage of this exclusive offer for a limited time forty percent off your first box plus a free item in every box for life at hunger root dot com slash f T. That's code ft hunger dot com slash ft code f T for forty percent off your first box and a free item of your choice for life. The code is simple, It's two letters f T.
Speaker 3: I don't really have options either. It is weirdfinitely.
Speaker 4: That's that's kind of my point. Like, I mean, there's no offense to Rome Gonzalez and Toro Abraham Toro, but I mean I'd rather if I could put Rothie Devers at first and then I can use my DH whoever that might be Yoshida or whoever else I can find. You know, maybe a young kid may or Anthony could DH and you know, bring him up and let him play DH and get some bats in the field here and there like that would if that makes a team better? Then isn't that Wasn't that the whole point to when they said Raffi or the DH, it makes our team better? Well, if Raffi playing first makes a team better, wouldn't it be the same argument.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I'm with a J And I think another question that just I kind of think about is I really wish we got more insight on how Raffie Devers really feels right, because we're making a lot about this first base situation, and as you don't hear much from him, it kind of makes you wonder, is he give me.
Speaker 2: Static about it? And it's like, if that's the situation, not saying he is.
Speaker 9: You know, again, I've said it before, sometimes you just got to put your big board bridges on right. You're getting paid a lot of money and maybe sometimes in these situations you you don't get your way right, but you got to swallow your pride and go out there and do what's best for the team.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 9: So, you know what, when we have these conversations, just it kind of makes me wonder, is he kind of being poudy about the situation?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 2: Because at the end of the day, most guys, they'll tell.
Speaker 9: You put me anywhere as long as I'm in the lineup, as long as I'm playing. But when you give a guy money, sometimes that sense of entitlement, you know, comes along with that, and you think, well, you give me all this money, I'm your guy, then you should do whatever I want. And it's just like, that's not that's not It doesn't seem like that's the case, right the boss Boston Red Sox saying, Hey, Alex Regman was the best for us defensively, we like him at third base, and right now, DH would be the best for you, possibly first base. So I just it makes me question how much kickback he's really giving behind the scenes.
Speaker 3: M yeah, aj.
Speaker 4: But now though, now though, I mean, if he wanted to play third, I'm sure he'd be open to playing first, right. I Mean, I get it, I get you. If it's best for the team and then you need me to play first, That's what I'm saying like if the Red Sox look at this, that's why I can't believe it's just been like a no no oh y yeah right like no no yeah yeah yeah yeah like no, Like to me, it should be like, well maybe if it makes a team better, we should try it.
Speaker 2: Yes, No, what you're saying is like, no, he's horrible. We know we don't want him anywhere on the field, Like yeah, I get, I get what you're saying.
Speaker 9: You know what I'm saying, Like they're they're just like bro, bro, we don't want him to touch the dirt and lets it's in the box or running the basis Like yeah, you're right, I feel you Like that's all that Ya, that might be the bigger question, and like they won't they and they won't just say it like he's he's a horrible defender there, like.
Speaker 4: Get it, that's pretty and listen, I was all for the pregnant Yeah sip, he's been their best hitter, right, he's a great third baseman. But they ain't talk to They clearly didn't talk to Devers before they did it, otherwise he wouldn't be in this situation, right, And but that goes back to my point though, if you can put Raffie Devers at first base and it makes your whole twenty six man roster better, you have to at least think about it instead of just saying no, no, no, right, it's just no, that's that's kind of my point. Like I don't know, I don't know what's going on there won a World Series.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Yeah, it's like it's like I feel you when you break it down like that. It's like, yeah, like how good? How bad could he be?
Speaker 6: At first?
Speaker 9: Like you know what I mean, Like we've seen guys go out of your plaid the position. I mean we can name them. I mean, Luisa Rise, they talk about him. They put him at first so you can keep his bat in the lineup. It's like, I'm with you, I do it makes you right, aj Like how bad could he be at first?
Speaker 2: Like how does that not make your team a little bit better? And then and then hey, you killed two birds of one snow, Now he's on his feet.
Speaker 9: Now he's engaged and you don't have to worry about the whole all of d agent And I'm not engaged. And now you're engaged. You know you're playing defense. But yeah, you're right, You're absolutely right on that.
Speaker 8: I mean, I got one for you. It's going to take a month and a half or so, but they will fall out at some point. Nate Lowe from the Nationals, somebody like that, who's on a one year contract, who's on a team that's not going to be playoff bound. You know, he's hitting pretty well, can play nice first base. They'll do something like that. That's probably what they have in their head. I mean, there's no one else, There's no one in free agency right now. I mean, I would be surprised if they signed Rizzo. I don't think that.
Speaker 6: Let's stop with the.
Speaker 8: I know, well, some fans, some fans even better idea for you, a j some fans in the chat we're asking about grand All.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go a hard no on on that one too.
Speaker 4: Grand Doll is what catcher.
Speaker 3: They're like, you can play first I'm like.
Speaker 4: No, Boston fans are better than that.
Speaker 2: Come on, let's yeah.
Speaker 9: I mean he's like, you got the Josh Bills out there. But it's like, is that really you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: That's yea.
Speaker 8: Yeah, And I mean with the Marlins trade, Matt nervous right now, maybe, but I think you're going to get some options in six weeks or so.
Speaker 3: I know if you look back to.
Speaker 8: What a day or two ago we talked about Roman Anthony, and I guess, at least for now, that's not in the plans.
Speaker 3: Again, that's something that I would do.
Speaker 8: But if they're really a hard no on changing up development with guys like that and wanting to leave him in the outfield, then you're going to be able to find somebody at the trade deadline. The thing is, the trade headline's far away. Even if this happens in early July. I mean we're in early May. It's May seventh, they could.
Speaker 4: Cost you exactly. That's the problem. Everyone was like, oh, let's just wait, let's just hold off, but you can fall too far behind and then what.
Speaker 8: Then you might miss the playoffs by a game and go, damn. I guess we should have figured out first base a little bit quicker. That happens, So keep it again.
Speaker 9: Listen, we talk about how long the season is, but it gets late really fast in the big leagues.
Speaker 3: It really does.
Speaker 8: Jalen Thompson is the Kansas City Star Wars reporter. He's back on with us on FT right now, Jalen, good to see you.
Speaker 3: How you doing.
Speaker 7: Hey, what's up guys? You guys doing I'm doing good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're great.
Speaker 8: So what looks different the past couple of weeks for Kansas City because this team's playing really good ball.
Speaker 1: You know, when I when I talked to Salvao Perez, it was a couple of weeks ago. He said that the team had a meeting, well, I won't say like a meeting, but they all just kind of got together and they were talking about it and they were saying that we're just doing too much. And this is when they came off of the ten game road trip where they went to and eight and they and they lost a lot of games they probably could have won if they actually hit the baseball. So Salvi was saying, you know, we're doing too much. Everybody's trying to, you know, be the hero. We just have to get back to playing simple and pass the battle along. And I think that's what you've kind of seen. The pitching has always been there this season, but now the offense is starting to put some things together. I think the really key part about all of this is you're seeing production from guys that you probably didn't count on earlier this season to be what the Royals needing to be in the lineup, like mikel Garcia, Drew Waters, and I think that collective group is helping. And now you're seeing Salvi and Bennie Passportino and by Way Junior're starting to get going.
Speaker 7: So the roles are rolling right now.
Speaker 9: Hey, Jalen, is there any chance right as you got this young team, sighting team, athletic team, they do a little bit of everything. Is there any chance that the fan base may get a Jack Kaggle young siding? And what would it take for him to break his way out of Triple A in the Kansas City?
Speaker 7: Yeah, what's up?
Speaker 1: I just he's he's gonna come. He's coming, He's on the way. But I tell everyone this and the roles have said it as well. You have to resist the urge to want to bring him up too early. So he's killing it right now in Double A. Four home runs in his last three games. Yesterday hit his first multi home run game as a professional. We know what type of power that Jack Cacione brings. AJ knows this very well. The nine home runs he hit in nine straight games in Florida last year. The worlds want to bring him along slowly. They want him to see pitchers in Double A multiple times. They want him to learn the outfield. They want him to continue to just grow as a professional so that once he gets to the majors, he doesn't go back down. And I think what we'll see I'm projecting this. I don't know if it will happen or not, but I think he'll get the Triple A really soon, and then we'll see what he does in Triple A, and then from there, I think he'll be ready to come to the big leagues.
Speaker 4: Hey, Jalen, Well, first of all, I talked to Quataro on Saturday and this question was posed not by me, but by Jason Minetti, and he he asked him this direct question, what are the chances? He said, there's definitely a chance, but like you said, they're gonna play it slow because they don't want to rush him, and they're they're honestly, they're kind of like, we don't really have a spot for him. I guess the outfield, but he's trying to learn the outfield. They have Pascorentino at first. They like to keep DH open for salve if he needs a day or a Pasconino or one of the other guys needs a day as a DH. So he made it pretty obvious that yes, he's on their radar, but it's not gonna happen tomorrow.
Speaker 2: It could happen down the road, but.
Speaker 4: He's got to learn how to play the outfield, and he's just it's just not there. Right, So you're on track. You're on track with that, Jalen. And the biggest thing, excuse me for me, that the Royals started doing. They started hitting some home runs. I mean, I did a game on Saturday, then fifteen homers going to that game, right, and then they got on a home they've been on a homer barrage. And by the way, just to say this for your tweet, when you say how the Royals overcame, well, the White Sox had to pop up, hit the guy in the head and all this other crazy stuff. So you're welcome for that win for the Royals yesterday because the White Sox literally headed it to him.
Speaker 7: Have you ever had something happened like that to you in your career?
Speaker 4: One hit me in the head. I've never had one bounce off my head head before. I don't I mean, I missed a pop up, but I think everyone's probably missed a pop up. Aaron Judge missed a pop up, right, But I.
Speaker 7: Know I have never seen anything like that.
Speaker 1: And you know, I've been watching baseball all my life just to see how that aenning kind of unravel. Now, I'm gonna give you a little inside of what it's like to be a b reporter in writing the story. So I had two different stories going. One they win, one they lose. I'm pretty much typing in, Okay, the Vices HAVEVA League is a knife inning. You don't expect them to give it up. So I have the Royles have lost the game.
Speaker 7: But then I started seeing all this stuff go on, and I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, well, I need to figure out how I'm gonna craft this story where they come back and win. So you just it was just calamity. It was zaney, it was chaotic, and it kind of felt like and Kyle Isbel told us this after the game. When they got Bobby with Junior up, it felt like the game was over. That's how they felt. And he came through and then the Roles won, So I guess the great Denny Matthews, he said this is that was a game where the good teams find a way to win in the bad team's final way to lose, and that kind of what happened yesterday.
Speaker 8: FT fan, We're excited to introduce you to Rowback with the subtle dog logo and two stripes on the back of every product.
Speaker 3: Krats, what are you rocking for us?
Speaker 4: I'm rocking the polo, which you never feel like a T shirt until now. Out on the course, I'm gonna stay cool and as much as I sweat, I won't be wet.
Speaker 8: Use the code foul on rowback dot com for a generous twenty percent off your first purchase. That's f o U L on r HO bac K dot com twenty percent off all shirts, hoodies, polos, and more with the code foul.
Speaker 9: Hey, Jayleen, we talked about the offense kind of starting to, you know, pick it up a little bit, and we'll get back to that. But I want to talk about a guy, and I won't say star, I'll say he's becoming a stud Chris Bubit. Can you talk about his emergence and how he's been able to be dominat as he's been and then and then also touch on Vinnie Passmenttino the pass Watch how he's been able to turn it around because this offense needs him.
Speaker 2: We know his personality is big and great, but they need him to produce. Can you talk about those two guys for sure?
Speaker 1: Chris Bubach he's the guy that came back from Tommy John surgery last year. So to kind of understand how Chris Bubach has gotten to where he is now, you have to look at twenty twenty three. Twenty twenty three, he was starting getting the Royals rotation and it wasn't the best year for the Royals. They also one hundred and Sexson games. Part of that reason was he was one of the young guys they were talking on to be a starter. He gets Tommy John after pitching great in San Francisco and then pitching against the Alanta Braves early in the season, so he's out. So with the Tommy John surgery, he's working his way back and then next last year, the Royals had their starting rotation pretty much set, but they knew Bubach was coming back. He's a left hander, has a he can really pitch. He has a great baseball IQ, so he's he goes to the bullpen and as a reliever he shines and he was a key part of them making the place the playoffs last year. He was really big against the Boston Worlds and New York Yankees. The Worlds made a point to make him a starter again this off season, and they truly believe in what he can do. He went out, he earned a job in spring training and he's probably been their best pictures so far this season. So it's just a whole story of just him overcoming doing whatever he's ask of him, and now he's really shining. A lot of credit goes to Brian Sweeney, Zach Bove, those are the roles pitching coaches for really helping him get to where he's at. He has a terrific pitch Mitchick pick some pitch, mix in a great arsenal, so I think that is the reason why he's been so great in that rotation. And then Bennie Paspenttino, he is someone where he has verbally said, and he told us in Baltimore, if I'm gonna here a thirty in the roles lineup, I have to produce. I have to be the guy that they are counting on. And he started out a little slow, and he you know, he was frustrated, but then he's he turned it on. And one thing that he's really good at is when he can get high, he can carry an offense. So he adds protection for Bobby Wood Junior batting third, and then he had Salada Perez batting behind him. So he can be someone that can carry this team. Last year he got hurt and he nearly had one hundred RBIs so and he missed thirty games down the stretch. So I think he can be that run producer that they need.
Speaker 9: So Jalen listen, I want to I want to stay there on Benny. You know, you see a lot of analytics, a lot of analytic data and guys chasing you know, launch angleing bat speed and.
Speaker 2: I think you know he said, you know he was chasing bat speed.
Speaker 9: Has he mentioned anything about that and not really going back to maybe his old version of himself and not really worrying.
Speaker 2: About that, like do you have anything on that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he he makes a lot of adjustments and a lot of that he tries to, you know, keep to himself so he can continue to just get better. But you can tell in talking to the hitting coaches that his adjustments are just getting him back to you know, hitting the ball to all feels, making sure that he stays his bath head, stays in the zone a little bit longer so that he can you know, spread to where the where it's pitched at pretty much. And I think for Vinnie, the key for him is once he starts to hit the ball hard, hit it to the gaps, getting getting over the fence. I think that's where he really turns it on. It's funny. Uh, they were in Baltimore and the first inning he didn't he struck out with I guess runners on base in scoring position. So then there's a rain delay and he's like, I have to go do something. So he shaves his beard during the rain delay and he has a mustache, and then he comes out it hits a home run and helps the Roles win. So it's it's pretty cool. I know baseball is full of superstitions and everything of that nature, but that was one literal adjustment that he did. So he's shaved and it helped him help power the Roles to a win. So I thought it was pretty cool that he did that.
Speaker 4: Hey, I was at that game. I sat through that ra right so I didn't notice that because I wasn't paying attention to Viny's face. But yeah, he did hit a home run later in that game, so it worked. Sometimes you got to do some crazy stuff. Someone want to talk about or somebody I want to talk about Jentleen and nobody mentions outside of maybe Kansas City, Mikeel Garcia. He's having an unbelievable year's He's leading the team in hitting, he plays a great third base. Nobody outside of Kansas City knows anything about this guy, and he's turning himself into a bona fight star.
Speaker 7: Yes, and I'm glad you brought him up. AJ.
Speaker 1: I've cermently believed that MIKEL Garcia is having an all star caliber campaign this year. I know it's early, but to see where he's come from to where he is now, it's been truly remarkable. And that's just both on the field and off the field. On the field, there were times last year where he would get into a slump or a colespel and you can see in his body language that he was just very hard in himself and it would affect how he would play the game. And you know where he needed to be a key cogging the roles offense. He just wasn't there at that point. The roles batted him eighth in the lineup. He was a lee off hitter. Last year, he got dropped all the way down. If you would have came into this year and you said Mike Kilgarcia is gonna be batting fourth or fifth in the Royal's lineup, I'm pretty sure not a lot of people would have believed you. But that's just the work that he's put in. It's a testament to his hard work. One thing that really stood out about him this year was he got rid of a leg kick and he went to a toe tap and this toe tap has allowed him to stop diving into the strike zone when he's swinging and stay more balanced and firm, and he's getting to fastballs now and that's been the key to him being successful. And I mentioned off the field how he's grown. Last year, he was really not speaking English the way like when he's talking to the media. So he worked with the worlds and he learned English. He watched videos of different interviews. He was able to study the language, and then he said, I want to really speak English fully without a translator. This year and that's what he's been doing. So it's really been great to see him kind of growing involved.
Speaker 6: That's awesome.
Speaker 4: That's awesome.
Speaker 6: All right.
Speaker 4: Last thing for me, I saw JJ Piccolough and obviously you get to talk to Matt Uatrro. When I go into these clubhouses and get to see him, are those two the commas two guys in the world. I mean mc ultrarro. It was like he's just sitting there and he's talking. His voice never changed, he never got too high too low. And then you see JJ. My favorite part is like I see some of these guys that I've known for a while, and JJ Pickle was like, Hi, JJ Pickle. I'm like, I know who you are, dude, you don't have to introduce yourself. And then he grabs your hand and I was like, wow, he's got a good handshake. But these two guys are like the calmest two dudes in the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's it's crazy because when I first went Matt Matt Quatrero, it was very much apparent that he's not too high, not too low.
Speaker 7: He's very day to day.
Speaker 1: He wants to, you know, focus on the mantra today, which is you can't control what happened yesterday and tomorrow is not promised. You have to play and stand in the moment. And I think that's the cue that the team has taken on themselves. You look at the Royals, they're very hyper focused on we can't worry about where we are in the standings. We can't worry about the division, we can't worry about not making the deeper run than playoffs last year. We have to focus on what is important right now, and I think you see it top down from South of Perez to balbu Wight dreams, to the pitching staff, to the coaches, to everyone, and the same goes with JJ Piccolo. He is someone that he's very accessible. He's able. You can talk to him anytime you need to as a reporter, and that's very important. Like he's on the road trips, he's just very in tune to what the team is doing, and I think they feed off each other very well.
Speaker 8: Jalen, this was awesome man, really good insight. Great to have you on. Encouraging everyone, of course to check out Jalen's work, Follow him on Twitter, check out his work in the Kansas City Star. If you're in KC. Locally following this team. It's a good team. So check out what he's got. Jalen, thank you, appreciate you.
Speaker 7: Thank you guys so much. Talk to you guys soon.
Speaker 3: Yes, talk to you soon.
Speaker 8: This is a Kansas City Royals team that obviously had a really successful year last year. They lost one hundred games the year before, and then last year turn it around make a nice little playoff run. They're in a division that did not get a lot of credit last year. I feel like there's a lot more respect this season for the American League Central