Speaker 1: Hey, welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind. My name is Robert Lamb. It is winter break, so we are continuing some Vault episodes this week. This time we're going to give you Part two of our Mystery Cults series. This is part two of four. It originally published three four, twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: Enjoy Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind, production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome to Stuff to Blow your Mind.
Speaker 3: My name is Robert Lamb, and I am Joe McCormick, and we're back with Part two in our discussion of the mystery religions or mystery cults of the ancient Mediterranean. Mystery cult is a category used by scholars to refer to worship systems in the ancient Greco Roman world that we're centered around, powerful in tense experiences of secretive mystic rights revealed only to the cults initiates.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: In Part one of this series, we talked mainly about the historical context of these rights and some about how they overlapped with and differed from the most common religious practices of Greek and Roman polytheism. We also talked about a book that is going to be one of our major background sources in these episodes. That is a book called Mystery Cults in the Ancient World by Hugh Bowden, who is an ancient historian at King's College, London. This book was published by Thamesen Hudson. The edition both Rob and I were reading is the one from twenty twenty three. There was an older edition before that, and today we wanted to come back and get a little bit deeper into the mysteries by going beyond the general and looking at a couple of specific examples.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I feel like one of the really interesting things about these various mystery cults is that a lot of the mysteries really do remain, like in part because any knowledge that we have of the ancient world is you know, is incomplete at least to some degree. But also these guys were just really good at keeping their mysteries intact in some cases, and what went on behind closed doors like remained behind closed doors, and we just have to speculate regarding the details of what say, initiation rights consisted of and what they meant, both in terms of like personal meaning to the initiate, but also within like the sort of.
Speaker 4: The larger like worldview of the particular cult.
Speaker 3: That's right, and we do know a lot of things, especially about the more public aspects of the mystery religions, because they often had a kind of you know, public facing elements and then the hidden elements. And it's particularly those those secretive, hidden elements that you know they are. There are many cases where we still don't really know today what they were about. We may have some claims from the ancient world, we may have some pieces of evidence, but yeah, a lot of mysteries remain.
Speaker 4: Though.
Speaker 3: One thing I do want to mention, it's something we got into in the last episode, is a bit of clarification on the role of mystery in mystery religion, because that can be somewhat misleading and could maybe cause people to think about the idea of a mystery cult as a religion where the main goal is to solve a kind of information puzzle. It's like to get the hidden answer to a question, and that really doesn't seem to be what these mystery religions were primarily about. They had very elements that we could absolutely call mysterious. There were secret rights, there were secret sacred objects that were hidden from view, and all you know, you could only see what they were if you were initiated. But the main goal of these religions was, especially as argued by Bowden in this book, we've been talking about not primarily to solve an information puzzle and like learn the secret, but instead that it was to have a profound experience, to take part in these mystic rights, these secret rights that would cause some kind of experience or encounter directly with the power of the gods.
Speaker 1: So mystery very much in the sense of the Beatles album from sixty seven, The Magical Mystery Tour.
Speaker 3: I don't know what sense that would be.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't think it really revolves around a particular puzzle or a particular mystery is there, But it's more, you know, versed in psychedelic weirdness and yeah, yeah, and perhaps cryptic meaning. I mean, I am the Walrus, right. What are we to make of this song? What are we to make of the imagery associated with it?
Speaker 3: I remember way back when I first heard that, I was much younger, and the line about the like yellow custard dripping from a dead dog's eye seemed especially unbeatlesy to me.
Speaker 1: They get pretty weird, they get pretty weird. There's kind of the Beatles that you think you know and associate with sort of the mainstream understanding of the Beatles, but then you can really dig into some.
Speaker 3: Weird stuff in there as well, no doubt.
Speaker 1: But setting aside the mysteries of the Beatles, I would like to turn our attention now to the mysteries of Mithraism. We mentioned, you know, in the last episode. We're talking very much about the Greco Roman world, and this is definitely one from the Roman world.
Speaker 3: Right, this is one coming later on the scene than most of the other examples we'll end up talking about.
Speaker 1: Right, right, we're talking the first through the fourth century CE, so it's taking off alongside another brand new religion, that of the way, centered around the teachings of Jesus Christ. This would of course come to be known as Christianity at least by like one hundred CE. But this is where I should I should throw out that we have of course mentioned Mithraism in passing or in a few details on the show in the past. We mentioned mithra in our Hall of Hell episode as well as in our episodes on Whistling. As I mentioned then, fans of the Ridley Scott produced sci fi series Raised by Wolves, which ran twenty twenty through twenty twenty two. We'll also remember the name as in the fictional future of this series, it is the predominant religion that is practiced by one of the key factions in that show. So sort of like an alternate future where instead of perhaps Christianity taking off as this influential human religion, what if Mithraism is the religion that took off and ended up defining a civilization.
Speaker 3: Rob, would it be fair to say, based on what you've read that it's kind of shocking how little we know about Mithraism with certainty given how popular it was during its heyday in the Roman Empire.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is something that impressed me as well, because we're not talking about something that was just practiced by say like a few elites, you know, in the basement of a palace here and there, something to that effect, or a few deranged cultists. To sort of imagine the again, the sort of call of Cuthulu dungeons and dragons treatment of colts. Now, this was widely practiced during this time period again, first through fourth century CE, and it was wildly popular, especially in the Roman army and wherever the Roman army went. So too traveled the mystery cult of Mithra, with its temples popping up just throughout the Roman Empire of the time as far north as the British Isles. And we have a surviving archaeological evidence all of these special temples, which we'll get back to in a bit, and we can piece together some of what went on. Now. One of the interesting things here that we're going to dig into here is of course, the idea that we have a religion, a cult an organization here, and its ideas are based on pre existing religion ideas, and for a while, the way historians interpreted it was to go back to some of the myths that informed Roman mythraism and use that to try and piece together what Roman mythraism was all about. So I want you to keep that in mind as I read a quote here from an older source. This is from will Durant Caesar and Christ from nineteen forty four, in which he writes that during the period of roughly thirty CE through ninety six CE, one sees a great influx of foreign faiths and Rome and Roman life, and these faiths, he writes, enter into Rome via returning soldiers, war captives and also merchants. A lot of people are coming in and out of Rome. People brought their traditional gods with them, and he writes that quote. The Roman government treated these alien faiths for the most part with toleration. Since it would not permit foreigners to its own worship, it preferred that they should practice their imported rights rather than have no religion at all. In return, it required that each new faith should exercise a similar tolerance towards other creeds, and should include in its ritual sum obsessence to the emperor's genius and the goddess Roma as an expression of loyalty to the state. So we touched on this before that. Generally the Romans were like, fine, you practice whatever faith you already had or have or have brought with you. Just make sure that it's you know, checking off the right boxes, and you know, not messing up anything we have going on at.
Speaker 3: The top, not questioning our authority. I don't think that the Roman rule on this should be seen as generally merciful, because the Roman Empire for the large part, was not very merciful. It was more like they didn't really care about this. Their idea of religion was not an evangelical one, and they were not trying to convince other people to follow it. Instead, it was just like, you need to obey us and not cause problems. Otherwise, practice whatever you want.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, I think that's a fair way of understanding it. Yeah, And we don't need to lean into some idea that the Roman authorities were just in general super tolerant. But in this respect, you know, you can make an argument that, okay, they kind of were, but only because they didn't care what you're doing, as long as you didn't upset the order of things. And in this section of the book by Durant, he does mention Mithra. In Mithraism, he writes, quote from hostile Parthia came the cult of another sudden god, Mithras. Its devotees were enlisted as soldiers in the great cosmic war of light against darkness, of good against evil. It was a virile faith that won men rather than women, and pleased the Roman legions stationed on distant frontiers where where they could hardly hear the voices of their native gods. So already that's a lot to unpack. We have this again, this the nineteen forty four text, but the interpretation that durant here seems to be making is that of a foreign mystery taken up almost exclusively by male Roman soldiers and worshiped in every far flung corner of the Roman controlled territory. Perhaps some deity and faith that casts the role of the enlisted not as mere protectors of Rome, but perhaps as warriors and some sort of epic struggle against the darkness. All right, So that was nineteen forty four's interpretation. But where are we at now? So diving into Hugh Bowden's mystery cults in the ancient world, which we've been looking at here, the author does have a lot to say about Mithraism, but as is often the case with some of these mystery cults, there's a lot we don't know and we'll never know concerning the details of the faith. And it seems like the trend, he says, for a while was to try and use information regarding ancient worship of Mithra in ancient Iran in the interpretations of this Indo Iranian faith as a way to try and figure out what Roman mythri was about. Because, to be clear, there was worship of a deity known as Mithra in ancient Iran and accounts date back to at least fourteen hundred bcee, and then eventually Mithra becomes the central figure of these Roman mystery cults of Mithraism, the details of which again are not all that forthcoming, But we do have some literary references, we have archaeological evidence, some of it fairly recent, and we also have some artistic imagery that has survived. And from this a fair number of conclusions can be drawn. But the current predominant interpretation, according to Bowden, is that the cult of Mithra in the Roman Empire was something mostly new. It was for the most part for Romans and by Romans, despite these Persian motifs that were applied to it. So in previous decades, again, it was common for historians to try and piece together the details of Mithraism, based in part on aspects of the ancient Indo Orraean religion centered around Mithra, but current trends tend to dismiss this. So in Bowden's chapter on Mithrasm, he doesn't mention anything about soldiers of light against darkness. I'm to assume that perhaps that's something that previously historians drug in from the more ancient model of Mithra's worship.
Speaker 3: You know, you can very much see the appeal of that older interpretive lens, which tries to figure out what a religion means by searching out the earliest versions of it, because we tend to think about the primacy of originals, like originals in time. You know, we've talked about this coming up before on the podcast when we were talking about Greek myths. We're trying to find, like, what's the earliest written version of this so that we can know what the real version of the myth is, you know, but that's not actually the real version of the myth. And finding maybe the earliest version that was written down that we still have access to and does not tell you how people hundreds of years later in a different time and place understood the story or what it meant. It just you know that, I mean, it is worth knowing that tells you one thing, but it doesn't necessarily tell you that thing. And so searching out myth what a god or a religious figure meant in one time and place, even though it came earlier, that doesn't necessarily tell you what it meant to people in a different time, in a different place. And I think this is still true today. I think, actually, say, if you just went to the New Testament and read the Gospels and then tried to read from those and predict what form Christianity would take as practiced, say in the United States in the twenty first century, you'd be so far off you have no idea what to predict from that.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think we can point to examples of this and other major religions as well, and also elsewhere. Like I instantly thought to Dracula, perhaps because I had Dracula on the mind a lot recently. But it's like, imagine you were to examine the text known as Dracula three thousand. Let's see what year did Dracula three thousand come out?
Speaker 3: Do you think I know off the top of my head.
Speaker 1: I don't. Yeah, I expect you to two thousand and four.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, okay, that sounds right.
Speaker 1: So imagine you watch a Dracula three thousand and then you were like, I wish to understand what this film is trying to say. I am going to read this book by Brian Stoker, Dracula, and that shall answer all my questions. I can take everything is in that book and apply it to this movie and me yeah, to a certain extent, there might be some useful connections to be made there, But Dracula. Dracula movies are all built around the central figure of Dracula, but the textual Dracula in brim Stoker's original novel might not prove all that useful. And understanding some depictions of Dracula in other media, including Bell Lagosi's Dracula, which we discussed in Weird Howse Cinema recently, or say Marvel Comics Dracula, The Dracula and Dracula three thousand or or whatever Dracula update you're looking at. Sometimes you know, a Dracula movie may just take Dracula out of it and they're just ignoring everything else thematically, plot wise, time period and so forth, Like the Dracula in Monster Squad is only loosely related to the original novel.
Speaker 3: That's right. So it may in fact be a very interesting exercise to see which elements from the older version are poured it into the newer version and which are left behind. So it's not like it is useless to compare the versions, but it is not necessary. But understanding the earlier version does not necessarily tell you what to expect in the newer version. Say, if we had pages missing from the you know, all we had was like an incomplete script of Dracula three thousand. We didn't have the movie, and we were trying to figure out what was still in there. Going back to the novel Dracula would not tell us, right.
Speaker 1: And that would be again, assuming that all all adaptations of Dracula and all Dracula media still holds the original novel in some regard or looks to it in some fashion. You know, you can look at all the various examples though, of religions where there is some sort of old text that remains important and the particular like model of that religion may still be unrecognizable across time, even though it's based on the book. And in the case of Roman mythraism, I'm not it's my understanding that we're not really dealing with any kind of like central texts that would have been the authority. The main authority would have been perhaps some collection of myths, but also a modern understanding of astrology. And so it really sounds like it takes mithra It takes this Indo Iranian deity and then creates a new form out of it, you know, almost kind of like propping up some astrological ideas with the appeal of this foreign deity and again creating something new that is by Romans for Romans, likely with its origin according to Bowden, in Italy, if not in Rome itself rather than the frontiers. It was then carried out to the frontiers by Roman soldiers. M okay, So, based on what the evidence we do have regarding Roman Mythriism, which again involves some texts, some archaeological evidence, and also some artistic depictions, the cult would have met in special cave like and sometimes partially cave based chambers. These were called mithraeum. They were long windowless rectangles with chairs or seating down the long walls of the chamber and so again no windows, so you just had to depend on torches and or candles, and these would have illuminated a strongly astrological decor so based on archaeological evidence, the exclusively male devotees of Mithriism would often join together, apparently in feasts that included a lot of meat, some wine, and I have to note that I'm already getting like a very strong Elks Club vibe here. You know, it sounds just like a men's club where they're all getting together to drink and eat meat and maybe observe some rites.
Speaker 3: I mean, if you can experience the power of the gods and just drink with your bros at the same time, that's a good two for one.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So the astrological decor here would have included depictions of the Sun is vitally important because Mithra is, even in Roman mythriism.
Speaker 4: A solar deity or a solar figure.
Speaker 1: You have the Moon, the planets all coming together in what we might think of as an astrological model of the universe, and Balden argues that in the absence of any key surviving text and only a few myths of Mithra and his adventures slash live slash mythic existence, modern understanding of astrology again like this would have been first through third century understanding of the stars and then the astrological model of how these stars and planets are impacting our lives. This would have likely served as the unifying factor of the religion across its various far flung forms. You'd see some changes in the way things were depicted, but in the absence of any kind of like top down doctrine. This is what you had, and so a mithraem. Again, the temple where the mithra worshipers held their ceremonies and their feasts. It likely the building itself likely served as a model, perhaps for further indoctrinization into the astrological secrets of Mithraism, but also as a model of the universe and the initiate place in it, which I think that alone is kind of interesting to think of in terms of soldiers in the Roman army, you know, perhaps very close, if not on the frontiers of this, you know, this vast region, and perhaps feeling far from home and having some you know, maybe more specific thoughts and questions about where I am in time and space, but perhaps those are echoing, you know, greater questions, and maybe that's where Mithraism comes into their lives with meaning. Now again we have a lot of evidence, archaeological evidence about what may have gone on at some of the feasts that they had. There's at least one side in what is now Belgium from the third century that suggests ritual destruction of wine vessels as well as feasting. I think they said that perhaps feasting exclusively on male animals, but also some eels that Abouten points out they might not have been able to sex the eels. Maybe they meant it me eat only male eels as well, but at any rate, they ate a lit meat, they drank and or ritually destroyed wine vessels. And then he also says that there's evidence at this one side, no other side, of a wine vessel with a snake motif that when heated, would have resulted in steam escaping from the serpent's mouth. Oh cool, yeah, pretty cool. Yeah, but we don't know what that may or may not mean. Maybe it was just cool.
Speaker 3: Well. I don't want to comment on Mithraism specifically, but with respect to many of the mystery religions, I think cool on its own may have been reason enough. Again, a lot of these cults I think you could think of as being oriented towards producing profound, exciting, dazzling sensory experiences. And so I don't know, a snake breathing out wine steam that seems like that could be one of those things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, definitely. I should also point out that I believe the Belgium site indicates the potential potentially a large feast like something like hundreds of individuals. But for the most part, the mythraem were understood to be you know, smaller places where you would have a more intimate gathering, and if there were and you might have like more than one mithram in a given area, so that you could keep the number small, so that that might also stack up with some of how we're interpreting what these spaces and these meetings could have meant to these individuals. You know, it would have perhaps been a smaller, comfortable meeting and not necessarily like a grand feast, all right. So but obviously it can't all be cozy feasts, right because as we as we've been discussing, mystery cults also involved at times harrowing rights of initiation, sites and sounds that were unique in life that gave you some insight into the inner workings of the universe or the afterlife or what have you. And as Bowden points out, there were apparently some rights involved here. So there were like seven grades of Mithraism, and it's likely that each initiate that each grade of Mithraism involved a different ritual, But we do know a little bit about the rituals that were involved. Most notably one that involves a sword and a crown. For instance, a Christian writer Tertullian, who lived roughly one through two twenty ce mentions a mithra and right by which the initiate is taken into a dark space. Obviously, the mithraem and offered a crown at sword point, and then he is expected to strike the crown from their own head onto their own shoulders and proclaim that no mithra is my crown. I do not need any other crown but mithra and. Based on surviving frescoes and some evidence from some pottery, we also have some vague ideas that the initiate would have been brought into this ritual space bound and naked, or at least a blindfolded and naked, and then made a kneel for the placement of the crown, and then eventually made to lay upon the ground or the floor of the mithram, perhaps held down even And the general interpretation is indeed that this, at least this grades initiation would have been rather terrifying. You know, you're at sword point, You're naked, brought in blindfolded again into a space that is either a cave or partially a cave, or at least designed to be as lightless as a cave and lit only by torches, with also these added astrological signs around you.
Speaker 3: It's funny, especially in this version, thinking about the comparisons we have two more recent things in our own culture, Like this strikes me as part religious ritual but also just part fraternity initiation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it reminds me. I can't help but think of the episode of The Simpsons with a hither the Stonecutters stonecutters still Yeah, yeah, with the very all the different initiation rights that were all essentially just ritually spanking each other.
Speaker 3: I mean, in our culture, when that is depicted in media and storytelling, it's usually played for comedy. Now, it's kind of mocking the silliness of this, but I think there are some pretty profound psychological reasons why, you know, why a lot of brotherhoods or groups that are encouraging people to form a deep bond and commit to secrecy and things like that, why they involve painful and confusing initiation processes. And we'll talk about that more as we go on and discuss some of these other mystery religions. But it seems like not an accident to me, like there's a kind of psychological triggering mechanism involved where when you've been through some kind of pain and suffering it for some reason triggers you to commit more deeply.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like we just pretend to to threaten to kill you with the sword, but now we're all bros and we can have some wines and meat that sort of thing. That's again oversimplification of what's going on here, but we can't help withdraw those comparisons. So at the center of all this, we still have this solar deity of sorts, this Mithra, at once the Sun itself and also seemingly a servant of a greater Sun god, perhaps born out of an eggs. I think a little unsure in some of these depictions, like if Mithra is supposed to be emerging from an egg or maybe it's the sun, and then Mithra rises to chase the lunar bull with a sword and eventually slay it, and that's where we get to that symbol.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is one of the main motifs I was familiar with, not really knowing that much about mythraism, but I knew that there were artistic motifs that involved a sort of fight or struggle with a giant bull, or maybe being killed by a bull or killing the bull.
Speaker 1: Yes, this is the Taroctiny and it is this recurring visual motif of Mythraism. In it we see the unconquered sun god Mithra dressed in a cloak and what is described. I don't think he's wearing this in every depiction, but at least it is more prominent in some a Persian style hat, and he is grappling a bull and stabbing it through the neck with his sword. At the same time, a scorpion is stinging the bulls testicles, and a dog and a snake are drinking blood from the sword wound. Okay, All while a sun watches on a moon watches on. There are also two figures that are present that each have a torch, and they're sometimes part of this is too. One is holding the torch high, one holding the torch low. Everything is very astrologically charged here, with these different symbols having you know, zodiac references entailed. The central idea here, though, which may not have been revealed or apparent to all adherents to Mithraism, is that it has to do with the position of the sun and the constellation Taurus during the hottest months of.
Speaker 4: The year late July till late August.
Speaker 1: So Balden contends that some elements of this faith may have originally originated in Eastern Anatolia, but the cult of Mithraism is again likely originated itself largely in Italy and likely within Rome, and was then taken out to the far flung frontiers by Roman soldiers. So and it's also telling that apparently, despite its foreign elements and inspirations uite clear inspirations, it was likely considered a very Roman thing to do, and ultimately it backs up and acknowledges Roman ideals, and so it likely attracted initiates who wanted to be more Roman, including foreigners in Rome, which is interesting to think of. It may have offered some degree of social wors upward mobility, but it also doesn't seem to have offered any notion of privileged status in the afterlife, but instead likely leaned heavily on an astrology fueled understanding of where one stood in the world and maybe in the universe in the larger sense. I mean, this is just me spitballing here. But it does like all these elements they do. They do sound like the things that might be created by people who are having a certain crisis about like who they are and where they belong in the world. That might fit in in an empire that is expanding at the same time, absorbing different elements, you know. And then this, this structure of this cult is built out to sort of give you some level of assurance and say, no, no, no, don't worry. We know a lot about the movements of the stars and the planets, and no matter how you know, crazy, everything else is getting out there, like this can tell you exactly where you are and who you are in the grand scheme of things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the meaning is written in the sky. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But at the same time, also like, hey, this thing's pretty popular. I want to fit in. I should probably go to this too. I hear they sometimes have meat and wine, so you know, I think you have to factor all these different ideas into it. But it does sound like the initiation rituals could be very terrifying, at least based on the way that I am interpreting it. And it seems like Bowden and others have interpreted maybe it was played just for giggles, but I doubt it based on so based on the comparisons we have in other mystery cults.
Speaker 3: Well, speaking of other cults, that would interface perfectly with things that people in the ancient world wrote about. The next example that I want to talk about. I don't know if we'll have a chance to explore everything about these in today's episode with the time we've got left, but we can at least start talking about the Elusinian Mysteries, probably the most famous mystery cult of the Greek world. Now we know about the Eleusinian Mysteries from a number of sources of information, primarily from what ancient authors wrote about them, including from literature that that attempts to describe things about them directly, but then also from literature that makes oblique or incidental reference to them. And it turns out there's a lot of the latter. I mean, there will just there will just be little dialogues of Plato where you know, Socrates says something that implies a certain understanding of what the Eleusinian mysteries meant, but is not meaning to talk about them directly, not like here, let's have a discourse about them.
Speaker 1: That's another thing I guess it's interesting, too important to realize and discussions. It's like there's there's stuff that is forgot because it was secret, and there's also plenty of things that were forgotten because it was just common knowledge. Why would you write that down?
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. Also, apart from the ancient written sources, we have some physical archaeological remains, especially at el Usis, the cult center, including artworks that depict elements of the associated myth. One example of the latter is a marble fragment from the sanctuary of Demeter at Eleusis, of which there are copies from scattered about from the Roman period as well. But Raba included an image in our outline for you to look at this marble relief. It shows the goddesses Demeter and Persephone standing on either side of a nude young man, and they are just towering over the sky. They're much bigger than he is. The youth is thought to probably be a figure named Tryptolemus, who is a figure in mythology sent by Demeter to teach agriculture to the people, sort of a kind of an intermediary prometheus of grain in a way. And one interesting thing about this marble relief you're looking at, rob is that the Demeter and Persephone here are They're like holding their hands out as if they're each holding something out to this naked man, and their marble fingers probably originally held some kind of object, but that object or those objects are gone and we don't know what they were. Oh hell, so some basic facts to ground us about the Eleusinian mysteries. They were based out of a city called Eleusis, which was located in the region of Attica, only about twenty three kilometers west of the city of Athens, so pretty close to the city of Athens and also close to another important ancient city called Megara. The myth associated with the mystic rights of Eleusis is a version of the story of Demeter and Persephone. Now, as with most of the big Greek myths, there are multiple versions of this story in circulation, with lots of differences in the narrative. So I am specifically going to be talking about the version of the story found in the Greek hymn or poem known as the Homeric Hymn to Demeter, which was written in dactylic hexameter probably sometime between six fifty and five fifty BCE, and this is the take on the story that seems to directly implicate the city of el Usis. So in this myth, Demeter, the Greek goddess of agriculture in the Harvest, has a daughter with the god Zeus, and in a lot of versions of the story the daughter is named Persephone, but in the version of the story told at Eleusis, the daughter is referred to only as Corey, Corey or core Kore, meaning maiden. So core and Persephone are basically the same character. But I'm going to use core in my telling here because of the Elusinian connection. So the trouble begins in the story when Zeus, without the consent of Demeter, allows his brother Hades, the god of the underworld and the king of the Dead, to kidnap Demeter's daughter core while she is out gathering flowers upon a plain, and Hades takes her away to his subterranean kingdom of the dead. When Demeter finds out that her daughter is missing, she spends nine days scouring the earth, scouring the face of the earth in grief, searching for her daughter by torchlight. It's mentioned that she carries a torch, and eventually a couple of other gods, Hecate and Helios, tell Demeter what happened, and so here we get to the part involving the city of Eleusis. Demeter, disgusted with Zeus and with the gods for allowing this to happen to her daughter. She leaves Mount Olympus, disguises herself as a human, and then walks all over the world, and eventually she ends up in the city of Eleusis, where she meets the family of a king named King Celius, and she is hired to work for the king's family as a nurse. Now, in Bowden's retelling of this myth, there are a number of great details here that are very cryptic to the modern reader and sort of fascinating. For this reason. I love little details where it's like, why include that, what does that mean? So it says that she is invited into the house of the family of King Celias. She has offered a chair to sit, but says no, no, no, I'll just sit on this stool covered in a fleece instead, And then she is offered a cup of wine, but she refuses the wine and instead accepts a type of beverage. It's a beverage or perhaps a gruel, the name of which in Greek is spelled k y k e n kai kion, but I've heard it pronounced as kukion, so I'm gonna say kukon. It is made of water, grain, and herbs. Bowden specifies that the grain is barley and the herb is mint. So think of a kind of beverage or gruel made with barley, water and mint.
Speaker 1: Could be good, could be good, good, be could be rather refreshing.
Speaker 3: Remember that drink. It may not be till the next episode that it comes back, but it will factor in. At elusis also in here. It says that Demeter smiles at a joke made by a woman named Iambi. Anyway, Demeter in disguise is hired to nurse the newborn prince in this household. The newborn prince is named Demophoon, but instead of feeding him each night in secret, she anoints him with ambrosia and then exposes him to the fire in the hearth. And there's a reason for this. This is a process she's doing to make the boy eventually immortal, So she's sort of transforming this baby into a god. However, it doesn't work because one night, Demeter Intos gets caught. She gets caught in the middle of doing this by Metanira, Demophoon's mother, who screams in terror, which you can understand why that would happen, but Demeter. Demeter is not happy about this. She explains what she was doing, and she says, you know now that the spell is broken. Now that you've caught me, Demophoon cannot become immortal. And Demeter is very angered by this reversal, and she says, Okay, what you've got to do now to appease me is build me a temple. Build a temple to me in Elyusis, and I will teach you sacred rights that you need to do in my honor in order to keep me from getting really mad. Next, and I mentioned this in the last episode, Demeter says, all grain on Earth is going to stop growing right now. This is bad for humans, obviously because we need that to eat, but it's also bad for the gods because they need to receive grain as sacrifices from humans. So it seems like this finally gets Zeus to do something about the problem that he created. He's like Demeter, what can I do to make you happy? And Demeter says, give me my daughter back, and so Zeus agrees. He sends the messenger god Hermes to Hades to the underworld to tell him that Corey the Maiden must be allowed to return to the world above, But Hades has a trick up his sleeve. Before Corey leaves, he gives her a pomegranate seed, a pomegranate seed from the underworld, and she eats it, and now having eaten the food of the underworld, she is ensnared. She cannot permanently leave, and while she's free to spend two thirds of the year up above, she has to return to the land of the dead for one third of each year. And this myth is often linked to seasonal cycles of growth in agriculture, though not necessarily with the seasons you're thinking of. I think the natural way that most people would interpret it is okay, so you know, the dog of the grain goddess. She can come up to the upper world during the you know, the spring and the summer, the warm months, and then in the winter when the when the plants die after the harvest, she disappears into the underworld. That may be it, but actually Bowden says it could be the other way around, because in Greece, the hottest part of the summer was sort of often the least productive agricultural season because things would be very dry, and the winter was actually used as a it was a very productive agricultural season, and so maybe sort of that way around instead of the way we naturally think. But however it actually lines up with the seasonal timeline. It's clear to understand why this myth has agricultural significance anyway. At the end of the myth, after being comforted by her own mother Raya, who is one of the Titans, Demeter allows the grain to grow again, and then Demeter, as she promised, comes back to the people of Eleusis to teach them the mysteries. She teaches them special rights that they would have to do in her honor. And then I want to read from What follows is a translation of a passage in the Homeric Hymn to Demeter, the version that appears in Bowden's book. So it goes, so the whole broad earth grew heavy with leafage and bloom, and she went to the lawgiver kings Tryptolemus and horse goating Diocles, strong Eumolpus, and Celius, leader of hosts, and showed them the conduct of her sacred matters, and taught her solemn rights, which one cannot depart from, or inquire about or broadcast, for great awe of the gods restrains us from speaking. Blessed is he of men on earth who has beheld them, whereas he that is uninitiated in the rights, or he that has no part in them, never enjoys a similar lot down in the musty dark when he is dead.
Speaker 4: Oh wow.
Speaker 1: So first of all, I love that this is not from Yeah. And then but then also, unlike seemingly with our example of mythraism, this mystery cult does seem to impart some sort of privileged knowledge of and or destination in the afterlife.
Speaker 3: It does, but I want to complicate that with something in just a minute here. So yeah, so many interesting things going on here. The goddess teaches the people of elusis the secret rituals, says you cannot depart from these rituals, so don't change them, don't give them up. You cannot ask questions about them. No talking no questioning, and you cannot talk about them with the uninitiated. You've got to keep them a secret only to the people who have been initiated to the cult. And of course, if you are initiated and you get to witness these rights, you are blessed. If you are not initiated and know nothing of the mysteries, then you are not blessed, and you will apparently have a worse fate in Hades down in the musty don't and if I'm interpreting this right, it does not say that those who have been blessed by witnessing the rights will not go to Hades instead. It just seems like something is going to be different from them. You know, it's going to be better for you. Now to explore that a little more, this last part about the effect of initiation to the mystic rights on a person's lot in the afterlife. That is a major part of how mystery cults have been understood by later scholars. It was, i think, once widely held that the mystery cults of the reco Roman world were mainly about improving a person's lot in the afterlife. But Bowden argues that at least in some cases, The evidence is this was not a major focus of the rights, and that any belief that you would have a better or afterlife by having been initiated was more of a side effect of having achieved a special closeness or direct encounter with the gods through the mysteries. It was not the primary goal or function of the mysteries. So we don't have evidence that the goal was like to go to heaven by doing these rituals. It was just kind of like there were blessings and good things about having this mystic encounter, about going through the rights, and one of the things that came with it in some cases was that it's said that something is better for you after you die.
Speaker 1: Okay, so again, it's not that you're going to get a better treatment in the afterlife. It's something maybe a little more sublime. Hear me out. I don't know if this is a good idea, a good one. It may not be a good idea. Maybe it's not a good analogy. But imagine you're going to go see the Android Lloyd Weber musical Cats, and beforehand, someone who is wise and knowledgeable comes to you and says, before you go, read this nineteen thirty nine poetry collection Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T. S. Elliott, Because of course these are the poems that the musical is based upon. And you might then ask, oh, if I read this, will I have better seats? No, you will not have better seats based on reading this, but perhaps you'll understand the musical more, or you'll have some deeper connection with the musical, and that will enhance the experience of it. Something to that effect, as opposed to like, will this secret knowledge actually get me closer to the front or give me more legrom.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that may well be a good analogy, except again, it would not be about reading anything in particular here. It would be like about having the experience. Maybe instead it's like should you go to see the play? Like that's really the thing that it's more like, isn't it. It's like going to take part in and witness something kind of be part of a collaborative theatrical experience. But yeah, I think that's a good way of thinking about it, because I want to read another thing that an ancient source that Bowden mentions in the book. So you know, many ancient authors, as we talked about last time, are unable or unwilling to profane the cult of the Eleusinian mysteries by sharing the secrets of its hidden rights, so we don't get You know, many ancient sources where people are like trying to tell us what happened inside the inside the secret chamber, but multiple writers attest to the power of the mysteries and the positive effect they had on those initiated. One of those passages cited in Bowden is from the Greek anthology by Crnagoras, published that was written in the first century BCE, and what Crnagoras says is quote, even if yours has always been a sedentary life, and you have never sailed the sea nor walked the roads of the land, you should nevertheless go to Attica so that you may witness those nights of the festival of Great Demeter. For then your heart may be free of care while you live, and lighter when you go to the land of the dead. Oh wow, yeah, So whatever happens, it is said by many to be a powerful experience that is perceived as life altering in a good way. For a modern comparison, when you read some of these ancient passages where people talk like this, It's kind of like how some psychedelic evangelists talk about taking LSD for the first time, Like you realize your cares and anxieties are meaningless, you lose your fear of death. Maybe things like that. It's also kind of the way sometimes people talk about contemplative practices or experiences that they believe are spiritually important, like meditation. Though the way the mysteries are described it is a much less regular and more high intensity experience than meditation usually is, I guess, but similar kind of descriptions of like a way of opening the mind, of changing your relationship to life. Your heart is lighter, and you can be lighter when you go to the land of the dead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, in some ways, I'm reminded of going to a haunted attraction here in our modern world, you know, go to a haunted house around Halloween, where the various actors and various tricks will be utilized to scare you and give you a good laugh. I mean, it is like a sensory overload experience. And granted it has no it has no religious agenda.
Speaker 4: Well I take that back. Sometimes it does have a religious.
Speaker 1: Agenda, but there are those Yeah, But in general, it does the idea of just scaring you doesn't have a religious agenda. But now that I've accidentally mentioned it, I am reminded Youah, maybe there's a case to be made that like church themed or orchestrated haunted attractions like small town affairs are kind of in keeping with mystery cults to some degree. I guess based on my experience of those Christian haunted house haunted attractions there tended to be very little in terms of like supernatural content in them. Generally they were depicting like real life hers and not so much like here. Now you're witnessing angels, maybe you're witnessing demons, but you know you're not going to see glory from the other side.
Speaker 3: I think the common recipe is you get to see people go into hell. Yeah, and that the point of the hell house also is a persuasive one, like it's supposed to make you afraid that, oh, I'm going to go to hell like the people in the play here, and it's going to be scary if I don't say the Sinner's prayer and get saved or go to this church here. And so it's like a way, it's like a foot in the door. It's trying to get you into the actually the doctrinal religion, the regular, more low intensity experience of going to this church, whereas with the mysteries, it seems like the point of the mysteries was the experience of the mysteries is like that was what it was about. At least in the case of the Elusinian mysteries, it wasn't like a persuasive event to try to get you into to show up every week. Instead, it was like, this is why you're here, this is what it's all about.
Speaker 1: There there's often the sense that it's not something you could even put into words exactly like it was that level of an experience, not on keeping again, not dissimilar from some of the accounts of psychedelic experiences and paranormal experiences. Rather different from in that regard compared to a haunted attraction, where generally you can describe everything quite well once you leave the facilities.
Speaker 3: All right, So we've talked about a written version of the myth associating the goddess Demeter with the city of el Jusis, and we've talked about how people in the ancient world wrote about the personal effect of being initiated or attending the mysteries. But what's beyond this, of course, is to describe the rituals themselves. I think we do not have time left to do that today, so I think that should be where we pick up in the next episode.
Speaker 1: All right, so we'll meet you back here on Thursday for our continued look at the ancient mystery cults of the Greco Roman world. In the meantime, we'll remind you that Stuff to Blow Your Mind is primarily a science and culture podcast, with core episodes on Tuesdays and Thursdays, short form episodes on Wednesdays and on Fridays. We set aside most serious concerns to just talk about a weird film on Weird House Cinema.
Speaker 3: Huge thanks as always to our excellent audio producer JJ Posway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest a topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you're listening to your favorite.
Speaker 5: Shows, the
Speaker 2: PO