Speaker 1: Of the Law and Order franchises, SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies. These episodes are based on. These are our stories, done.
Speaker 3: Done, Yay.
Speaker 2: That's Messed Up an SVU podcast. I'm Liza Traeger and I'm Kara Klank.
Speaker 1: And in case you were paging through Apple podcasts and saw a podcasts called That's Messed Up and thought it was just about the world right now, No, we are about Law and Order SVU and true crime and interviewing people from the show. But before that we do talk about how fucked well and.
Speaker 4: Well the world is so fucked up. Thank god. We have Heated Rivalry.
Speaker 2: And I know that everyone listening that's a consistent listener knows that I gave you a week to watch the whole thing and you did watch half, which I did watch half, which is like pretty hard for everyone. So I have a full psychosis. I have actually not watched anything else except a SVU and Heated Rivalry. And I try to put on Peacock and I can't. It's all I want to watch. I It's all on my phone. And then so I went to a heated Rivalry Challenger Soul cycle ride and it was incredible. And then I got wasted at the airport. I'm in my getting drunk at airports, Earrah. But then so Monday was sign up. Tuesday night was a Taylor Swift heated Rivalry class sign ups open at noon. It was fully sold out at twelve oh two. Like, people are like on the verge. But my niece likes it too, so that's been fun. She finally is texting me, which.
Speaker 3: Is the thrill. Okay, we got a row.
Speaker 2: Well, there's so much Soviet stuff in it for us, and.
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, more and more, but like he's just so good.
Speaker 2: And the more I watch it, the more it's like these little interstitial moments and characterizations and I'm just like so impressed.
Speaker 4: So you've watched three episodes.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I watched the first three. I'm so into it. I'm very horny for the storylines and the guys. And my friend actually, who follows you, texted me and was like, are you watching it? Blah blah blah, and I was like, yes, Lisa's obsessed.
Speaker 4: I'm watching it. I'm halfway through.
Speaker 1: She goes, yeah, I follow Lisa and I've seen that she's liked every single Heated Rivalry post that I've seen.
Speaker 2: So there's just nothing else I want to do, Like I don't know what else to say, Like I don't know.
Speaker 4: It is what I else.
Speaker 1: I can't believe there's only six episodes. That must have been really difficult.
Speaker 2: But also they're like the more and more I see their press and them as people, it's like their performances become more and more deeply impressive, Like I can't really stop being impressed with these people. And then the more I watch there's like just some of the shots are so gorgeous, the wardrobe's incredible, the music.
Speaker 4: Is so good.
Speaker 2: That's why the Heat of Rivalry Spin Class was so good, like everything, and it all came from such a like pure place, yeah, of like low budget, fast work, and like, I don't know, just it's I thought I was.
Speaker 4: Also what I'm thinking about is that people are like it's just smut.
Speaker 2: It's just I'm like, you're acting like that's easy to make, Like you're acting like it's easy to be that hot and sexy like, which is not easy, Like it's yeah, So that's what's weird too, when people try to reduce it to something that is also still like quite impressive. Yeah, I saw some like tweet then the world is horny, countries are begging for it.
Speaker 1: Well that's it. I heard something that was like, oh, you know the like the Republicans are so like hard on to get like Dei Away and it's like Sinners number one movie of the year, like box office wise, Heated Rivalry everyone's obsession. And then there were like two other examples of like it seems like people still want the de I babes, like everyone's into this, Like I think it's cool that there's there's a show that has like all this.
Speaker 4: It's not even that graphic.
Speaker 1: It's really just like it's really it's the same amount of romantic like sex that you see between How Toosexual and I think it's shot all the time.
Speaker 2: I think it's done better than the most straight sex scenes in it.
Speaker 4: I'm a huge fan. I like Jane Austen.
Speaker 1: I like anything where two people like want to be together and can't be like any of that is like so horny. So this was like I love like how they're they're both hockey players, but they're from totally separate like worlds like the whole the guy poor Ilia's family is like treating him like shit, like so Russian, like you know, assholes, and then like the other guy's family like is obsessed with him, but like he's so much more closeted and shy, like I don't know. Then I was shocked episode three that it went into a totally different storyline, but by the end of that storyline, I was into it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I like that other storyline.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I don't know where it goes in episode four, but I'm excited my friend.
Speaker 4: Would sat with them.
Speaker 2: I would say four, Yeah, I message Kamail and Emily immediately they'd ever hear from me. It's not like they're my close personal friends. I m them and then I saw they saw it and didn't respond, and I go, oh, if you think that I'm going to be okay with now getting a responsor out of your minds, I go, I go, you better give me something, And I got something from them, but they go, yeah, so I got some information.
Speaker 4: I go, you were the best.
Speaker 2: You got the best table of the house, Like are you kidding, like you were at the table to be Yeah, but I got some info from and then I go, congrat.
Speaker 4: Tell she gave me some info.
Speaker 1: She gave me some inbo, but the info was like that I could share as mostly that they just like seem like they're having a great time. That's what she said, that the egos, they're just good guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So she said that they really do love each like you can tell they're really friends. And I'm like, I think you could tell that too, and to be able to like pull off what they did and like it's pretty it's it's really nuts. Yeah, it's really nuts. The more, yeah, the whole, like the change of him being a full Russian dude. But I did see a post where it's like, oh am I in adheated rivalry and it's like, yeah, I'm a depressed bisexual with family trauma.
Speaker 4: Like that's so funny.
Speaker 2: But I was trying to be all like Russian and moody at my parents' house, but they're too.
Speaker 4: Nice to me. It really didn't translate.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I was cracking up at the video you your dad feeding the stray cat but with like a full scratch glove on and you going no, like just your voice in it, like your narration was so funny. And then my mom truly repeating should I get the stick? We should get the stick. We need to get the stick. And I'm like, but then people were like, she's just feral. They could like she could eventually they could have a bond. And maybe my dad is just like, you know, patient and wanting it to me. I'm like, fuck this feral cat. But yeah, we're right, you know, like everyone was right, we gotta men. I mean they're feeding the cat. They're feeding Yeah yeah, yeah, but what I'm trying to think, Oh, I did end up geting the crop top.
Speaker 4: I don't know what to tell you. I got a heated rivalry crop top.
Speaker 1: I mean, listen, I think that we need to focus on cutting back and not cutting out.
Speaker 4: That's unrealistic. Yeah, going to spend crop top.
Speaker 2: And I'm performing in Boston soon January thirtieth, January Weesday again, January thirtieth, I'm performing at the Crystal Ball h this is yeah, people will hear this before, right, Yeah, it's coming on Tuesday. Yeah, absolutely, So I'm gonna wear my Boston crop top for the team.
Speaker 1: Oh, for the fictional heated rivalry team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would never wear a Boston sports shirt.
Speaker 1: Well, let me also say that One of the reasons that I don't want to catch up is because we don't remove on yet. But the reason why I did not fully catch up is because I've been I was watching The Traders, so I gave three hours to The Traders. And I also have watched two movies because Award season is upon us and I needed to start watching movies. So I watched Pogonia yay, and last night I watched Marty Supreme.
Speaker 4: Okay, tell me about Pegonia.
Speaker 1: Well, you've seen it, right, Yeah?
Speaker 4: Did you like it?
Speaker 1: I liked it a lot. I did not like the ending, okay, but up till the ending, I really liked it. And I think she's she's our Meryl Street. I feel like, I mean, she's so good. She's such a good actress. He was great. I mean, it's it's I liked it a lot. I just I mean, I don't want to spoil it. It's still out or whatever for people to watch, because I really liked the ending. I liked the ending. It was chilling.
Speaker 2: I talk to someone whose kid got a panic attack at the end.
Speaker 4: Oh God at the theater. Yeah. Oh.
Speaker 1: I didn't like the ending. I thought that it was like and I've talked to a lot of people that say the same thing. They really liked it, but they didn't like the ending. I thought it was weird that they. Oh, also the globes. I mean, NICKI fucking killed it.
Speaker 2: NICKI killed it, and I watched it with my parents and then I text Niki and she text me back and my parents were very impressed. I'm like, not during the show, she it was insane, she did. I love that she called out CBS News. Yeah, I love that. It was still silly, but I love the rost. I love Leo being like, open up, man, open up. Like.
Speaker 1: I love that she kind of like and look, I'm not gonna say it because she's a woman, but I think she kind of has like a mastered it how you can like tease people but still not come off as like rude or mean, because in a way that Joe Coy and other people have like failed at you know.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, and I guess Ricky Gervais, she said in an interview that like she got to talk to him on the phone and he said, you're not one of them, Like, don't ever forget You're not one of them. You're here to entertain them and like be funny, and I think that's where maybe the other person you mentioned slipped up, yes, like thinking he's like a hot shot for doing it, and it's like get to work, get to work, and she gets to work. But she looked, I mean she looked incredible. The gowns are incredible. She came out to Taylor Swift songs and I liked all the jokes, Like I was really laughing out loud a lot.
Speaker 1: It was like, yeah, I mean I saw her head writer at a party, like when they were just getting stared Sean Sean Sean, and he was like, I were running it like a hundred times.
Speaker 4: So I know she worked her ass off.
Speaker 1: She had a huge writing team, Like she put so much work into it. So yeah, it worked out. I honestly have not seen the full thing. I've just seen the clips and I Michael being jerk.
Speaker 4: That's shocking.
Speaker 1: You love Award shows, Lisa, I cut the cord. How do I even watch it?
Speaker 2: Well, I canceled my Paramount Plus, but I had it, and my niece was texting me because obviously she was watching for the heated rivalry boys, and so I got to put it on my parents' TV and we just wasted it. But it's running out on Paramount Plus on my Amazon, but like, I canceled it so I have a few more weeks and it worked out.
Speaker 4: I got to watch it. But I'm also having.
Speaker 1: Because I literally was texting people and no one could tell me how to watch it. No one could tell me how to watch it, like everyone was like, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Like no, But because they were at the heated rivalry table, Kumalan Emily were on the screen a few a few extra times.
Speaker 4: I think, not that he's not a star, but well he was nominated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Ava Victor getting the shout out from Julia Roberts like what that?
Speaker 1: Oh did you see that? So I don't know if you watched Sorry Baby. Did you hear about Sorry Baby? No, but I've heard about it.
Speaker 2: So I don't know how I've met Ava Victor, but I do some know her kind of But she wrote and directed and starred in this movie called Sorry Baby.
Speaker 4: I watched it. It was great.
Speaker 2: It got nominated in the same category with Julia Roberts. I don't know if it was for acting or directing. I'm sorry, it's a blur. But Julia Roberts, while she was presenting an award was like, oh, and by the way, I was hanging out with Ava Victor. She's a genius, She's my hero. You have to watch sorry baby. Oh wow, Like, how fucking cool is that?
Speaker 4: That's very cool?
Speaker 2: And it was Yeah, she stars in it, wrote wrote wow, and then cut to like an interview popped up on my phone from weeks prior to the Golden Globes or She's like the only person I wanted to meet is Julia Roberts, yes, and so like that was really cool, but I thought the speeches were so boring. Hey, I'm a hater. I don't give a fuck. I was so bored. Everyone is so boring. And then one person thinks crew members and then it became this trend where I go, I actually don't think any of you are sincere, and I think you're all putting something on and I don't like any of it.
Speaker 4: I don't know, but I don't those speed.
Speaker 2: I was bored out of my fucking mind, and watching something with commercials was really hard as well. But I loved old Hollywood being there. I liked seeing Leo and Julia Roberts and George Clooney like that was exciting. Oh my god, that's so funny that there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought the Leo jokes were funny too. It's like nobody knows anything about you, babe.
Speaker 2: But the pasta pasta because I was such a Leo Titanic head. I remember that teen B interview, like I remember reading that. Wait, I didn't see Marty's supremum. I'm not going to so tell me about that.
Speaker 1: Not for me, just I mean good, he's very good. But it's like those Safti brother I mean, I don't know. It's not the Safti brothers. I know that they they got divorced or whatever, but like like just the everybody screaming over each other and every single thing that can go wrong going wrong, stacked on top on.
Speaker 4: Top on top on top.
Speaker 1: They like I told you, and I go, this is like curb your enthusiasm with violence. Like it's just too like agitating for me, Like it's just it's not enjoyable.
Speaker 2: But I can see how it is a good move. Everybody is good in it. It looks good. It's just you know, I wouldn't watch it again. These movies like they get me really like agitated.
Speaker 4: And I don't like it.
Speaker 1: But he's you know, he's he's playing a very very annoying character and he's very good. But it's nuts. I like, you know, Pamela Adlon's daughters on the scene now, o, Guessa or whatever.
Speaker 4: She's wonderful. She's very good. She she was great.
Speaker 1: Oh wait, I was gonna say just a sighting. Well, first of all, somebody saw me at Trader Joe's and complimented me on the podcast.
Speaker 4: I said, oh my god, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: And then two seconds later I see Tessa from Fucking Yellowjackets, Young Tessa.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: And then we just kept seeing each other and smiling and looking at each other the whole time. Like we made eye contact like three times, and I was like, should I say anything? But then I was like, I'm not gonna go you know, I'm not gonna go up to But I was like, someone just told me they like my work. Should I just go up to her and say I like your work? I don't know, But then you know, I had to get out of there.
Speaker 4: But well, I guess who I went out with last night?
Speaker 2: Who Arsley our MVP. I met one of her sisters and we went out and had a couple drinks after she saw Oh Mary, So that was fun.
Speaker 1: Oh wait, who who's the Mary currently?
Speaker 4: Shane Jinks? She got to see Jinks. Oh Jinks. Yeah, so that was exciting but so good. But so we so Arseny me. We have the same birthday.
Speaker 2: And then we ended up at the bar starting to talk to another group of people that were there for you know, living their lives at a bar too. And one of the other girl's birthdays was August thirty first as well. Wow, it felt huge, huge felt for the virgo A shaft of virgos meeting.
Speaker 4: What is it? What's that?
Speaker 1: What's the community? What's the communal noun for virgos? And the parliament of Virgos?
Speaker 2: Yeah, a bunch of virgins, a bunch of rgents.
Speaker 4: Okay, back to heated rivalry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you want to talk about any of your other favorite moments so far?
Speaker 4: I mean silence, Well, we can wait till next week to really get into it.
Speaker 2: I feel like I'd be too psychotic at this point because I really have such favorite lines. I like when he's like, mah no, no boring Canadians, no dumb Americans, Like I red that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's like great. I mean I I think that they.
Speaker 4: Have great chemistry.
Speaker 1: And I'm also like, it's also sort of sad that like so much of it is about that they can't even be themselves, that they can't come out and like because in sports, even though it's twenty twenty five to six, you know, you.
Speaker 2: Know what's so little that's not a spoiler, but you can notice if you already haven't noticed, like the attention to detail of this fucking show. The text bubbles changed throughout time as the years go by. Oh so eventually I realized it was an iPhone and I go, wait, are.
Speaker 4: You fucking kidding me?
Speaker 2: And then of course I'm going back and it goes to like old timey phones and it goes to BlackBerry, and you like kind of see the progression of tech. And I'm like, this is why shows like this need people like me to watch it so much, because they're putting all this detail in and I'm here to watch it.
Speaker 4: You're and you're catching it. I'm here to catchlock.
Speaker 1: I did clock when at one point Hollander's watching a video of Rosenakhov, like on rosen Off, rosen Off, rosen Off, sorry, Rosanoff, that's a different I know, a person with that last name. Oh it rosen Off, but Rosanoff is and he's looking at a video of him and I'm like, what the fuck phone is that? And then I was like, oh, it's twenty eleven. It's a BlackBerry, like because I didn't really I had a BlackBerry, and I don't think I ever really had video capability. If I did, it was really bad, like it was bad video. So I just looked, uh, but I was I do, like, I respect the twenty tens of it all, but.
Speaker 4: Not over the top.
Speaker 2: Because I read an interview with the costume designer who's so good, and she was saying, she goes, I didn't go for trendy. I lived that, and I just went through my memory of what people would wear, especially athletes, and like they repeat outfits in the wrinkles of clothes because like Hollander wouldn't iron a linen, like these little details and I don't know, they just fucking kill me.
Speaker 4: The slides that Ilia wears.
Speaker 2: But yeah, she she's like, I didn't want to go trendy and obvious, but like I just wanted to go off feeling and what I remember, and I feel like I can sense that as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I I'm really like just drawn into what's going on with these guys. I'm into the story.
Speaker 4: They're so talented.
Speaker 2: I like really don't and I wonder what they'll do next, like obviously want another season of this, but or two more.
Speaker 4: I will have finished the other three by next intro.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I mean my dms are filled with people wanting to talk.
Speaker 4: I will.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, I'm sorry, but but I'm not. Wonder are you watching Traders?
Speaker 2: I refuse, you know, you know my stance. I'm pissed I was not cast and I'm never like this. I'm always happy for people and enjoying the arts. I refuse to watch Traders. My bff Julia did fill me in fully spoiled everything for me, and I'd love to hear about it, but I'm not giving my numbers. I can't even stand it. I can't say it, but I hurt. No, it's not as sad as it sounds, but I don't want to watch it. I don't want to watch it. But I heard the person that I'm annoyed that got it fucked everything up.
Speaker 4: Yes, so I like that.
Speaker 1: Yes, they had a fuck up, a big fuck up, and there's just like a lot of housewives and yeah, housewives action like in the past couple I don't know about. I actually can't speak to the Phager season. But last season it felt like the housewives were kind of like okay, like you know, Dolo was on till the end, but she was a little bit like just like a nicey nice that didn't really.
Speaker 4: I don't think she she voted.
Speaker 1: For Tom Sandabal like every single week, you know, like they're just she wasn't And then I got out early. Like this year, it feels like they're going to really be like key players. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I hope so.
Speaker 2: I mean, because that's what the dumb thing that everyone's always done, is they get rid of the housewives first instead of the strategic game players, which is so stupid.
Speaker 4: These women have no idea what's going on, which is different this season. Yeah. So, and I like that a couple of them are in the cloaks.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I'm I'm happy to know everything that happens. I just don't really want to watch anything but heated rivalry, and especially not a Castle I'm so jealous of.
Speaker 4: Get me into that Castle campaign?
Speaker 1: Why not the next one?
Speaker 2: No, I think they're doing regular people or something I heard after listen. If they want me, they can come get me. I'm done in the year before.
Speaker 1: Have they done comedians?
Speaker 2: No, I don't think so. Okay, I don't think so okay. Maybe I know they offered it to some people we know, but I'm not sure. I'm yeah, okay, I'm like trying to make sure I'm telling you the lines. I really like that. Don't mess it up. But we'll just wait till next week. We'll wait, okay, wait. And I feel like people are at.
Speaker 3: The chair scene.
Speaker 4: I love the way he says fuck.
Speaker 2: Like I just am obsessed in what scene the chair scene in Vegas after the Awards where he drags the chair.
Speaker 4: That was like a hot scene. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But also Shane, oh my god, I can't believe you don't remember. That's like crazy. But also like Shane just being so autism of like stop bringing up Russia. He clearly hates it and has a terrible life. Yeah, like like it took him so long to realize, Like I don't know, it's just he's like they just fucked and he's like, so Russia where you were really sad, It's like so fun.
Speaker 4: You're gonna go home for the summer.
Speaker 1: I mean he's like such a like I mean, I know he's Canadian, but he has like, you know, vibe as like American, like Northeastern sort of like athlete.
Speaker 4: Like, so you're going home for the summer for all.
Speaker 2: Like that's what Connor was saying, that the jock element was harder to do than the Russian and the like fucking was like being a hockey jock.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like skating was the hardest part. Damn to have to master all these fucking things.
Speaker 4: Crazy.
Speaker 1: I know, you saw Janelle's little thing where she kind of had so much fleck that was really good.
Speaker 4: Well yeah, oh.
Speaker 2: I also undercurrent that I love is like his English gets better throughout and it's like very subtle, but like there's moments where he learns new words, but like the accent changes throughout and I just feel they you know, they shot it out of order. And so to have this skill of like knowing where to have your Russian be a certain way and the accent and like the dropped verbs and like in I don't know how, I don't know enough about grammar, but there's intro like my dad words. Yeah, it's direct and like the early scenes really have that, and then he gets better and I like seeing him or like certain words where he goes like what is that? Or he has to like ponder about a word or like stick in a Russian word.
Speaker 4: I'm just so like impressed by that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, he's like, well, I mean, Hollander does say at one point, when's your English?
Speaker 4: Get so good?
Speaker 1: Like yeah, you know, I love all of that.
Speaker 2: Every time he's like saying like stuff about his dick, and he's like, oh, who taught you that word?
Speaker 4: I like that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And he's there's like just the little runner that he's such an asshole and everybody keeps calling him an asshole.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And then when you come back next week, we can talk about who you think fell in love first?
Speaker 1: Oh interesting, okay, okay, because I have an opinion now, but I'm sure it'll be saying in three well, I mean to me, it feels like to me, it feels like Hollander is more like innocently in love with him with with Rosanov then, and that Rosanov kind of went forward initially probably out of like let's see, like you know, out of just sexual attraction, but then he is falling in love with him also, But to me, it feels like Hollander's more like he's but also maybe that's just his russianness and his coldness, because like he's the one that's always like all right, bye, get out of here, kind of you know, like and he like, like the last thing I saw of those two was him being like, we didn't even kiss and then he deletes. It's so sweet, and it's like it's like I feel like anybody can relate to that. Anybody can be like, hey, like, are you like being in a relationship with someone that's like is this do you even care about me?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: Or is this just like a physical thing? So I to me, it feels like Hollander right now. But you know, I've only seen two full episodes with them, and then the second, the last one has nothing to do with them.
Speaker 2: So the third one, so you're about to watch my favorite outside. I mean, obviously the finale is like great, but I really love everything that happens at Ilia's house in Boston.
Speaker 1: So oh okay, okay, I'm gonna, I'm gonna, I'm get I'm catching up. I've got time, I've got time this week and I'm gonna do it. I just have so much. And I really felt like I was being really good on catching up with my stuff lately, Like I was on Traders, I'm caught up on I'm caught up on Salt Lake. But I was just talking to one of our mutual friends about like, just I'm sort of just like falling off some of the housewives. I used to be such a completist and watching even if it was bad. But it's like, I'm not watching not Potomac. I heard has been fun. I need to get back into it. But I kind of just dropped off a little bit. And then a bunch of my friends were like, I'm not gonna watch Beverly Hills anymore.
Speaker 4: We're bored.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean yeah, I'm sort of obsessed with seeing where things go with this new grifter though she's such a grift.
Speaker 2: Mine, I don't I'm not watching anything but heated rivalry. Like I'm not being like hyperbolic here, Like, wait, did I already.
Speaker 1: Talk about this girl on on this No, I'm just Amanda is this new girl on Beverly Hill.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: She has a book called Rich as Fuck, and it's about encouraging women to like get rich and.
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, II matter, yeah the griftery.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, like get past their borders about money. But then Dart is getting divorced and Bo's is like, do you have any advice for her? And she goes, you got to just figure out what you're gonna do, girl, you gotta just be what you say you're gonna be. And she's like, I'm sorry, I was thinking more along the lines of open an ira or like you know, like she thought she would maybe give her some concrete advice of like, oh, here's what you do with some of your assets, and the girl was like, just you know, get manifesting, babe, like you know, and it's kind of crazy to see somebody build an empire and be a best selling author when they constantly say I have actual no financial expertise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's but like spiritually helping. Like you can't say you're a financial money professional and not know anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, take an introductory course, head on down to the community college. Let's do something. And she's like, that's not me. I'm vibes. I'm all vibes about money. But you know, award season is upon us. Wait, but we've been getting a lot of messages, we have to start but really quickly. We've been getting a lot of messages about Timothy Bussfield. I sent you this. This guy was in the episode Russian Brides of SVU. He's in an upcoming SVU episode which actually I believe is supposed to air. It's airing for we're recording this early because as always were in the time machine, it was supposed to be. He's in a new episode playing a judge, and his episode was supposed to air this week. But if you're listening to this last week and they swapped out the episode because of what's going on because this guy has been accused of of sexual assault against miners.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: And these two he's he's an actor.
Speaker 4: He was on the West Wing.
Speaker 1: I think I sent it to you through IG so maybe if you missed it in the midst of a heated rivalry flurry, but like you know this he he it's these two twins that worked with him on a and then now there's as of today, he turned himself in.
Speaker 4: He was missing for a minute and then he turned himself in.
Speaker 1: And he's married to Melissa Gilbert, who was like a famous actress from like Little house on the prairie and a bunch of other stuff. So and she says she's standing by him, and now there's an accusation from a sixteen year old.
Speaker 4: So it's getting worse and worse.
Speaker 1: But it's crazy that it's affecting current SVU because they had to pull this episode and maybe it'll go on the shelf with the Trump episode and we'll never see it.
Speaker 4: The perverts keep perverting. Yeah, yeah, all right.
Speaker 2: Well let's start and you know, keep our disassociation from our reality going.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course, as always, fuck ice, and let's let's start the episode. Okay, today we are doing the episode Ripped, which reminds me.
Speaker 4: I don't know if everybody knows.
Speaker 1: The lore of our podcast is that we were originally going to be called Ripped from the headlines, and then some rando's quickly started a podcast called that that I don't even know if they update it. I'm kind of happy that it went that way, though, because I think that's messed up is about her name. But Casey didn't know any of this. No, he's just learning it.
Speaker 2: No, that's messed up is way more fun for us. I like the TMU of it all. I like that at Honors iced tea and ripped from the headlines as like the Hulu playlists. Yes you know, you know it's Yes, it's not as unique, but it was obviously perfect for the podcast.
Speaker 4: You're gonna do?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So whenever I see this, when I see this episode ripped, I think of ripped from the headlines, But it has nothing to do with that.
Speaker 2: And you also might not know that when we got offered the deal or the contract or something, Kara was in labor responding to emails like the podcast is as old as Rosy because she was being born as Kara was like signing the contracts.
Speaker 1: Then I like got my drag Race job, Like well, while wearing a diaper in.
Speaker 4: The hospital. Do you know this? Do you know? Rosie was a month old.
Speaker 2: Jared was on set like working on a movie with Kumel, and so Kara got her dream job at drag Race.
Speaker 4: Rosie's a month old and her husband is out of.
Speaker 1: Town, and then you and I are driving around pitching the podcast.
Speaker 4: It was crazy.
Speaker 1: I'm like leaving SVU, I'm like leaving my job at drag Race, being like can I have a long lunch so we can go like pitch the Pod.
Speaker 2: I think if it was called Rip from the Headlines, it would not still be on the air.
Speaker 4: Really, we've changed the personality of the show entirely.
Speaker 1: I think so too, because I think a lot because Rip from the Headlines doesn't only apply to SVU, Like, there's all kinds of TV movies that are called Rip from the Headlines, and I think it would have just been a different thing.
Speaker 2: And speaking of names, I also just want to say, I love how you've all embraced the Tommies. Hear from the Tommies and We're gonna get you some Tommy. I'm grinning from ear to ear that we finally have a name and where the yeah the Tommy's Unite.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, So Ripped is from season seven, which is a hot season. It's the season Mariushka one the Emmy. We'll get into that later, but it's it's I would say it's a packed, a jam packed season. It's episode four from October of two thousand and five, Baby Take Me Back. Benson and Stabler are at a school, briskly walking to meet a victim with the school's principal, who's describing how Pamela just ran out of an empty classroom. Her clothes were ripped, she'd been hit, but she won't tell them anything else. So now Pamela's getting wheeled out on a stretcher. A very over it emergency responder is like, yeah, he did a real number on her face. She might need a couple of stitches. Like, it's a lot of it's it's the victim looks like she's been hit on the head. But it's like, nobody seems that. I don't know the I don't know the the reactions are mixed.
Speaker 4: I'll say that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So she's telling Benson, I don't want to talk about it. Forget about it. It was just an argument. I said something nasty to him. It's my fault. And as Pamela gets loaded into the ambulance, the principal tells detectives that a boy in a baseball practice uniform was just seen running down the halls after the attack. So now Finn and Stable are head straight to the baseball field. They spot a pitcher immediately with blood on his shirt, and he jogs over to them and they're like, what's up, dog, How the blood get there? And he looks genuinely confused, and then Finn goes, are you sure it's not from beating the crap out of Pamela Sawyer, And then this high school kid just winds up and cold Cock's fin right in the face, like a full punch to the face.
Speaker 4: Stabler attacks him, tackles him down.
Speaker 1: He's got him, like, you know, in his hold, and he's like, my dad's a cop, and they're like, what's his name, and he goes Pete Breslin, and Saylor looks at him and goes, you're Luke. And of course this kid's father was his radio car partner back in the day. Of course, like Stabler knows Catholic school Catholic schools in New York and every other cop in the city as well has been his partner before Benson. So the credits are happening now. It's a pretty great credit freeze. At the end, it's the main four plus Craigan plus one plus Novak plus Milinda.
Speaker 4: It's pretty good. That's like a real hot lineup right.
Speaker 1: And then at the precinct, Luke is worried that his dad is going to freak out.
Speaker 4: Stabler's like, let me talk to.
Speaker 1: Him first, and Luke is like, did I do something wrong, and Finn like looks annoyed, and Stabler's like, you beat up Pamela Sawyer and Luke's like, did she say I did that? And Finn's like, and then when we confronted you, you punched me in the fucking face. And Luke is like, I don't remember that, And so obviously we get some I don't recalls on this show, but this seems like this kid really doesn't remember. And Luke, by the way, is played by Paul Wesley, who is also in season two an episode called Wrong is Right, But I.
Speaker 2: I he was very like J fourteen magazine. Yeah, Robbie Tiger b Yeah, what is the episode of us wrong?
Speaker 4: Wrong is Right? From season two?
Speaker 1: And even I know I don't remember the title of that, but I'm sure we've seen it, but maybe we'll cover it.
Speaker 2: I remember the beginning of Okay, I remember these guys eyebrows.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's a friend of like a victim or something like that in the in this episode.
Speaker 4: I looked it up.
Speaker 1: But many of you might know him. He was in one hundred and seventy one episodes of The Vampire Diary, so you might know him as a vampire hunk. I don't know if he's a vampire or not, but that's that I would say. Is this big uh his big IMDb presence.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: So they asked the.
Speaker 2: Kid, like, we want to fuck vampires the most of the classic monsters.
Speaker 4: Oh for sure. Yeah, vampires are the sexiest one. Whose second place? What is it? Wolfman, Frankenstein, the Mummy?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but like also like any monster type, like zombies, like, yeah, nobody's really.
Speaker 4: Well no, I'm talking the classics, the classics. Vampire. Yeah, nobody wants to put the Mummy.
Speaker 1: I know, the Lagoon the Lagoon guy, but the creature from the Black Lagoon, he's number two.
Speaker 4: He's hot, he has abs. I don't know. I think that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, vampires are the sexy ones because they also like use mind control to like seduce people.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Yeah, rape, okay, a.
Speaker 1: Little rape, but I mean true blood. So anyway, Paul Wesley Vampire Diary. So Luke remembers eighth period. He remembers the bell ringing, getting dressed for practice, and then the next thing he remembers is he's sitting alone in the back of a squad car and Stabler asks about the blood on his shirt again, and he's like, I have no clue how this got there, and they point out Paula on like the lower they're they're weirdly like on the upper level of the precinct, like looking down that little I kind of like when they go up to that little nook because it's not cement room bars, it's not woodroom blinds, it's van.
Speaker 4: I don't know what it is.
Speaker 2: Trick, it's for trick playing, it's for romance. I would love to get to propose.
Speaker 1: The old lady was up there when they gave her the sweatshirt.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I can.
Speaker 2: Get proposed to in the old s VU set on the stairs to the lofted area of the precinct, and then a Chinese food lunch and boxes was waiting for me.
Speaker 1: I would wow, I would that would be it?
Speaker 4: That would be it. I think even if you.
Speaker 2: Were going to say no, you'd say yes. Yeah. I think if someone did that for me, I would marry that. They reconstruct.
Speaker 1: They have to reconstruct the old s view set because honestly, the new one is completely sleek and computer graphics and like different, and will you marry me? Has to be written on like corkboard with like a bunch of pictures of you guys with that like look like crime scene photos, but.
Speaker 4: It's pictures of you guys. And then and then Melinda comes in with some news.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's like wait a minute, and she has the ring in a baggie. Oh my god, I love this. Okay, Wow, we're really planning it.
Speaker 4: We have then the Year of the Whores.
Speaker 1: These you gotta ask for what you want, okay. So anyway, they point to Paula on the lower level and he's like, oh my god, can I talk to her? And it's like, no, dummy, have you, like, do you know your dad's a copy yet talked to her? Sabler and Finn go downstairs while Munch keeps an eye on Luke, and then Finn tells Sabler like, Sabler's like, hey, let's get started on that paperwork to charge this kid, and stable Finn's like, I don't know, you know this kid like, you don't really need to press charges.
Speaker 4: He seems like he's jammed up enough. So Finn's like kind of.
Speaker 1: Doing a solid here and like not charging this kid for punching him in the face.
Speaker 4: So in a room cause I couldn't tell what room, it was.
Speaker 1: It's like, it's not woodroom blinds, it's like an office in an office. Benson is talking to Pamela, who says that she's not going to change her mind, so they might as well stop asking her, and Stabler mentions Luke and she's like, how'd you know and Stabler's like, yeah, your blood is all over his shirt, like we can find things out.
Speaker 4: You guys are not high school detectives.
Speaker 1: By the way, Pamela is played by an actor and singer named Julia Weldon who is non binary. But since they are playing a fee male character, I will be saying she when referring to Pamela. But they were in this movie called Before and After with Meryl Streep and Liam Neeson, which I've never heard of but I thought could be good for movie Grid.
Speaker 4: Wait tell me again.
Speaker 1: It's called Before and After, and it's some kind of thrillery murder thing, and I think they play like their child or so they play like Meryl Streep and Liam Neeson's kid or something. But I think it's some kind of movie that looked really.
Speaker 2: Like Meryl stays working. Yeah, what's some oh my good murdering his girlfriend?
Speaker 1: And it's from nineteen ninety six. Like this feels like it's around the time of like The River Wild, and like when I was seeing a lot of Meryl Streep movies.
Speaker 4: So Edward Furlong's in.
Speaker 1: It, Yeah, he had a time John Hurd as view alum John heard who I Love Rip the Dad from Home Alone.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I've never heard.
Speaker 1: Of this movie, and.
Speaker 4: They're in it.
Speaker 1: So but they're mostly I think a musician now and doing some acting.
Speaker 4: But anyway, Pamela is work.
Speaker 1: I just thought before and after a movie Grid, Liam Neeson, Meryl Street, Yes, you help me. You know, no one's gonna put that one. That one's gonna be low percent. Pamela's really worried Abou's gonna happen to Luke. She's like, this is not like him. There must be something wrong with him. And Benson is like, tell us what he did and maybe we can help him, and Pamela's like, well, I was working after school. I saw Luke running down the hallway. He was acting all hyped up and weird. Then he grabbed me and started kissing me on the lips. She's like, I pushed him away. He got really mad. Then he pulled me into a classroom, ripped my shirt. I kicked him and then he hit me in the face, and she's like, we're best friends, but maybe I said something or did something to lead him on. And Benson is pressuring her to press charges, but she's like, but Luke wi get kicked out of school, he won't graduate. What'll everyone say if I do that to him? Like she's stressed, so Craigan pulls Stabler.
Speaker 4: Out of the room. Pamela's parents have arrived.
Speaker 1: Stabler tells the parents like, well, she's a little bruised up, a couple of stitches, but otherwise she's okay. And the parents are like, he's been friends since second grade. There, we're like his surrogand parents, how could he do this? And Stabler's like, well, you know, Pamela won't press charges, but the parents want their surrogate son to pay. They're like, well, then we will, and they're like he's like, well, the most we could charge him with would be misdemeanor assault, and the dad's like that's it. Like I understand you don't want to see your kid hit, but if this kid is like your good family friend, I feel like you want to get some answers first, before you jump to like all the legality up. But if you're I don't know if you're normal, I don't know, maybe you're just like fuck that, Like, but if it seems very out of character for this kid, let's get to the bottom of it.
Speaker 4: Stabler goes.
Speaker 1: Stabler just off handedly goes, it might not be worth it to make Pamela relive what happened to trial.
Speaker 4: Okay, piece of shit. He's such a piece of Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Benson pulls Stabler into another room and she's like, what the fuck was that he assaulted her?
Speaker 4: That's the end of the story.
Speaker 1: And Stabler's like, I'm having a hard time believing it because of this memory loss issue.
Speaker 4: And I think Benson's kind.
Speaker 1: Of like, yeah, dog, we've heard a million people say that they've lost their memory, Like why do we have to believe this kid because you know his partner? And Stabler's like, well, I called Huang to come in and talk to him. Benson's like, since when do we call the shrink before we do like before the caller, and Ben sin quotes his whole it might not be worth it line that he just said to the parents. She's like, you're trying to make this go away, and he goes, I've known Luke since he was a baby. He was always a sweet kid.
Speaker 2: And Benson's like, you didn't even write It's like you didn't even recognize him. You go, you're Luke like you She goes, you haven't seen him since he hit puberty. He's not so sweet anymore. Like it's so true. It's like, but I knew this kid till he was ten. Now he's seventeen. Nothing could have changed.
Speaker 1: In the next scene, the dad Pete finally shows up and Stabler greets him, and he's played by Noah Emerick, who is to me known from the Americans, but he works a lot. He's also in the current Hulu Murdoch Murders show that I haven't watched, but it's with you know, Patricia Arquette, and it's I did listen to like a whole Murdoch Murders podcast. I was very invested at the time that it was all going down. So he's relieved to see Stabler. He's like, I'm so lucky you caught this because immediately it's like cops pat in each other on the back, right, rubbing each other's elbows.
Speaker 4: What are they doing greasing each other's wheels.
Speaker 1: I don't know anyway, Stabler asks about Lily uh, and Pete goes, oh, she left six years ago.
Speaker 4: She lives in Michigan. She doesn't even call, not even Luke.
Speaker 1: So okay, I get that women can have issues and this and that, but like, she walked out on you, Like, what kind of husband were you?
Speaker 4: She walked out on you and the kid and doesn't talk to either of you. What was up?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: Like, I can't imagine that it was good. Stabler tells, I mean not that women don't walk out on families randomly.
Speaker 4: I just I don't. It doesn't.
Speaker 1: It's not as common. Then Stabler tells him, I feel you. Kathy and her kids are staying at Kathy's moms right now. So I guess it's just hard to be married to you heroes you got, you know, so hard to be married to these like, you know, untouchable strong men. So he tells Pete about the memory loss thing, and immediately Pete's like, you talked to my song with the courtesy of waiting for me, and Stabler's like, dog, chill, I'm not trying to run a game on your son, and he sends Pete to talk to Luke, who is in there with Munch, and then Stabler finds Benson in a huddle with Daddy, Craigan and Novak strategizing how to charge Luke, and Novak's like, slam dunk, We've got plenty of evidence. We can charge him like a batterer with a wife that won't cooperate, you know. And then Stabler chimes in and he's like, it's awful lot of work for a misdemeanor, and Benson's like he could have killed her, and Novak goes, I'll go get the ball rolling, and then we don't see her again, but Craigan tells Stabler to get Luke into the system now. Then Wang shows up, Munch leaves and says, I'll be in the porcelain reading room. Okay, Munch, Jesus, I usually think his humor is a little bit more highbrow, but anyway, Huang tells. Huang asks Pete, hey, is it okay if I talked to your son? And he goes, yeah, sure, if you think it'll help, and so they him and Stabler step out and outside, Pete says, you know, yeah, Luke told me the same thing about them memory loss. I'm worried about him, And Stabler's like, is there a possibility he could be on drugs? Pete goes he's a straight a student. He throws a ninety eight mile an hour fastball and he hits home runs. Everyone loves him. Does that sound like he's on drugs? And it's like You're like, yeah, yeah, absolutely could be, Like you know a drugs Yeah, it's like, oh, you have to be getting f's and be bad at sports to do drugs, Like I bet this cop dork thinks that way though, yeah, yes, Like he he's acting like, uh this, I've got the perfect son. He doesn't do drugs. And Stabler breaks the news like I got to collar him. My captain's ordering me, and he's like, dude, he's got colleges, he's got scouts from the majors and the miners looking at him. He must be it's he did really out of this girl? Like have you has? The dad even asked if she's okay? Yeah, And if you're strong enough to throw a ninety eight mile an hour fastball and the major leagues are looking at you, you're really gonna fire someone up with a punch, you know, like, that's not like me punching someone, Like I don't think I could even break skin, you know, I've never tried. But so Pete's like, you know this is gonna be so bad for him, and Stabler's like, but you know, he won't do any time for this, and Pete explains because it's a first time offense and it's a misdemeanor. Pete explains like, well, he'll have to report it to every team, to every college. His life will be over before it even starts. And Stable goes, he punched the girl three times. It's serious, and I didn't realize he punched her three times until just now, like, and he goes call a lawyer, and then Pete's like, you're not gonna do anything, and Stabler looks pissed, like I'm actually doing my best to help you right now, and then he goes, I heard what those cops did for your daughter and her DUI, which you know, Stabler got people to help him one time, and it comes back to haunt him many many times. And he goes, my daughter didn't hurt anyone, But Pete's like, yeah, but she could have killed someone, you know, and he goes and then I'd be in the same damn boat as you, telling you to do the same damn thing. He tells, Pete, go home, who's going in the system, and you can't.
Speaker 4: Do shit about it.
Speaker 1: So then he walks. Stable walks into the next room, and Craigan is right in his face, yelling at him for what he said to Pamela's parents about not pressing charges. And he's like, he goes, this is worse than breaking the rules. You put the squad, the whole squad's credibility on the line. You did everything you could to get your old partner's kid a pass. As of right this minute, you're on vacation. Get your ass out of my sight before I do something we both regret, and I said, fuck. Craigan is going in hard on this because Stable has done worse, Like he has done a lot of bad shit, and this is bad.
Speaker 4: Maybe he's just like at the end of its.
Speaker 2: Usually like brute force, or like it's for the greater good, or it's for the victim.
Speaker 4: They're like gonna break the law. That's true. He never signs purposely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but this is like telling a victim not suppressed charges when like she has a really deep bruise on her head. I think it's and a cut, yeah, yeah, stitches, she's yeah, So now Luke is, and she's clearly traumatized. She didn't want to get her friend in trouble. You know, there's like so many layers to this, and he should be supporting the victims.
Speaker 4: Hello, yeah, hello.
Speaker 1: And also if something doesn't happen, they would have to continue to go to school together, you know what I mean. This is like not a random attack, like they are in each other's lives, so you do have to like look out for her and protect her if they were to like let him off, you know. So now Luke is explaining to Huang, I've never punched anyone in my entire life. My dad told me to punch back if someone hits me first, but Pamela would never do that, and I'm stronger than her.
Speaker 4: And Wang's like, are you okay?
Speaker 1: Like you seem anxious, and he goes, I'm in a police station talking to a shrink about how I don't remember ripping my best friend's clothes off and slugging her and then a cough.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I'm a little stressed.
Speaker 2: Out and I like that, which I like that It's like he's not thank you, y on edge like, and he's like, well, have you been feeling stressed lately?
Speaker 1: And Luke's like not really. He's like, how are you doing at school? He goes, I have a three point eight gpa? How do you do that with baseball?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: I stay up late all night if I have to. That's not really, that's not.
Speaker 2: Good, seems need to sleep, yes, And how do you do you have a lot of energy?
Speaker 1: He goes, yeah, I have a lot of energy. And then do you ever have bad days? Sometimes I'll have a bad day. I wake up feeling really down. I can barely get out of bed. And then he's like, why are you trying to confuse me? And he's like, everything's great, school, baseball. I have no idea why I did this. And then Huang is telling Kragan that this would not just be called caused by stress, and his father agreed to let them do a drug test. Huang thinks he could be bipolar. He's seventeen years old. That's when some of these symptoms start to arise. I think it's like the seventeen to twenty two range. The attack could have been rage brought on by a manick state and if he is bipolar though, Huang's like he needs meds, And Craigan tells Benson to check out Luke's history and see if there's any other incidents like this, like with his pet, like in his past, and then let's start with Pamela. So now Benson's having an outside chat with Pamela. It's a sunny day. She has little butterfly stitches on her head, Pamela, and she's like, I've never even seen Luke get mad, even when he should, like, and Benson's like, well, when should he be getting mad? And she's like, well, like at his dad, nothing Luke does is ever good enough for him. If Luke's get If Luke gets an A on a test, his dad's like, it should have been an A plus. If he pitches a two hitter, Dad's like it should have been a no hitter. He says that after Luke had an operation, the doc said that if Luke didn't stop playing all year round, he'd never pitch again, and Luke's dad just blamed him and said it wouldn't happen if you'd worked out more, which that logic makes no sense. Then he gave Luke money to join a gym. Finn is at the gym now, talking to the owner, who has like a Southern accent. He just does not seem like a New York City gym owner to me, but he is this like very muscly man. So they obviously cast off of muscles.
Speaker 4: And he's like, yeah, work.
Speaker 1: Luke worked out here a ton until like a week ago, and he got into a fight with a member for taking too long on the bench press. Luke slugged him and he was about to go at him again, and the owner jumped in to break it up. I haven't seen him since. And then Finn's like all right, and he's about to leave, and they're like, wait, he has a locker. You guys want to take all of his shit. So we go into his locker. Finn starts clearing it out. It's regular shit, like socks, whatever, and then he comes up on this little blue pouch and inside done done deca depot.
Speaker 4: Andro Luke's on steroids and he stacking.
Speaker 1: Finn says, so this is this is a time two thousand and five when this episode's coming out where roid rage steroids are a big topic of conversation.
Speaker 4: Oh, I don't remember that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have a little bit more information when Munch makes a comment later. But yeah, so steroids are in that people are talking about them at this time.
Speaker 2: I just remember like the Mark McGuire, Sammy's so sad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, run of it all, Jose Conseco, right, like there's been a lot.
Speaker 2: That's who I think about and when I think about steroids.
Speaker 1: And there was a there was something I read that was like some player that got caught for steroids was like said that in baseball, like eighty percent of they think eighty percent of the guys are on steroids, like at least at the time of this big the time of this episode. So I don't know if I don't know if there's like new regulations on it now where they test them or whatever, but.
Speaker 4: Or they just call it something else. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well because remember when like Lance Armstrong got caught for doping and he's like, it's not what you think, it's something different, like but there's I don't know. I will get into a little bit of this a little in a second.
Speaker 2: But god, because I am not I didn't at all. And yeah, yeah, no, it's okay.
Speaker 1: So Finn asks this little meatball man are you running a juice bar, which I love that because, like people do call steroids juice, So that's fun.
Speaker 4: It's that's a funny little that's a funny little line. And he goes. The guy goes, that.
Speaker 1: Stuff will give you pimples and shrink your balls. I don't know where it came from, but I'll cooperate. If someone's in here selling it, I want to bust them. Finn goes, you'll let us put an undercover in here, straight to Craigan walking with Benson and Finn going, yeah, I talked to Narcotics about getting the undercover request.
Speaker 4: They laughed in my face.
Speaker 1: They're like, why not. They're like, it's not a priority. Like, meanwhile, we're doing like I don't know, we haven't done it yet, so I can't really talk about the next episode. But like, meanwhile, the war on drugs is still raging in the U, and we're like they're not, like the cops are not, like, you know, prioritizing steroid use. Like people on roids aren't robbing and killing people for steroid money is like what they say in that episode. But they're punching people out. Apparently they're assaulting people. Yeah, so could Luke have been in a roid rage when he attacked Pamela, Craigan asks Hwang, and Huang's like, totally. The symptoms are basically the same as bipolar, but his rage was caused by too much testosterone. Steroid use shuts down the natural production of testosterone, so then if you stop taking them, you get really depressed until your hormones start flowing again. And Huang said, you know, he saw a roid rage rip a door off its hinges and it took two gunshot blasts to stop him.
Speaker 4: So fuck So Luke.
Speaker 1: Basically made a play to impress his dad and bulk up fast. And Craigan points out, yeah, plus his role models, most of the guys and the majors use this stuff, right, and Congress then Munch chimes in and goes yeah, and Congress lets kids buy it over the counter. A certain senator made a backroom deal to keep dhea on the market. So who he's talking about is Republican Senator or in Hatch from Utah, who which Utah, among other grifts, is famous for being a supplement state. Like a lot of supplements are flowing through Utah, you know, like as the same Yeah, like there it's the MLM state. It's the state of.
Speaker 2: Grifting, like cults, influencer families, like any way you can like make money based on like lies.
Speaker 4: I guess they're doing it in Utah.
Speaker 1: So because the supplement industry is truly the wild West and unregulated and people are really really sucked into it in a way, and it makes I think trillions of dollars every year.
Speaker 4: So that's an upsetting.
Speaker 1: So Orrin Hatch argued when they were making it like a steroid bill, that Dhea should be kept legal and available as an anti aging pill.
Speaker 4: And that's DHA is like a certain kind.
Speaker 1: Of steroid steroid medication, I guess, and he or not medication supplement. And he threatened to kill this huge piece of legislation that was going to restrict the sale of steroids, educating children about the dangers steroids and increasing penalties for illegal use if they did not all agree to him to make this exception for DHA.
Speaker 4: So he made it happen.
Speaker 1: And you know what's the fun coincidence or in Hatch's son is a lobbyist for the supplement business. So fully, like like Trump, in his family, people are making money from all of this shit and from his politics, like, this country needs harder rules on what lawmakers can be attached to financially.
Speaker 4: It's really crazy.
Speaker 1: But apparently a Democrat from Iowa also joined or in hatch on this, but he was the main one that was like, we need to make this supplement. So that's who the episode is referring to but not naming, And I wonder if that's on purpose because they didn't want to get sued or something. Yeah, Sohog tells them, with no previous history of violence, it's likely that the steroids made this kid do it.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So Benson shows up at Stabler's house because Stabler has been sent home, right, So he's at his empty house without his kids and his wife just sad, and Benson shows up and he's like, I don't want to talk about this or whatever, and she's like, I'm just here to tell you that you are right. He's been juicing for six months because of all the pressure his dad is putting on him, and well does the dad know about the drugs And they're like, well, Luke begged him not to tell, and Stabler are like, oh, he's got to know, and Benson's like, don't do that, which You're immediately like he's going to do it right, And the arraignment is tomorrow. So at arraignment, they're reading the charges out against Luke assault in the third degree, in possession of a controlled substance in the third degree, and.
Speaker 4: His dad yells out, what are you talking about?
Speaker 2: My kid's not on drugs, and the judge is like, shut the fuck up, and then you should know this, you're a cop, right, And then Luke pleads not guilty, and Novak explains the attack to the judge and the discovery of the steroids.
Speaker 1: It's weird that people are like, didn't think the dad was going to be in court and hear all this, Like he's this is all going to be public record if he's getting arraigned, right, So they request ro r Novak agrees to release him into the custody of his dad. The judge releases him, the dad looks furious, he's fuming. He grabs Luke and walks out of the courtroom. Stabler follows them to a hallway. We hear the dad's voice yelling, you can't be a man without drugs, and then this little like dorky lawyer comes out of the bathroom and he goes the guy's beating up some kid, and so Stabler goes get help, and he goes into the bathroom. So Sabler goes in. Pete's yelling at Luke, going, you're a failure. You can't be a man without drugs. Now the whole world has to hear it, hear about it. Sabler keeps trying to stop him from pounding on his own kid, and then the guy punches Stabler so hard in the face and its yeah, throws him back into the bathroom mirror, shattering the mirror, and he's like, you've done enough, and then he starts he starts laying into Luke again.
Speaker 4: You stupid, stinking, sorry piece of crap.
Speaker 1: You're a screw up, a failure, he says, and he slaps his own son over and over.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I'm so sack. It's so sad. He's like going at him.
Speaker 1: And then it's like, dude, he has a three point eight and he might be playing Major League baseball, like you're a cop.
Speaker 4: I just want to like point out.
Speaker 1: Like if we're talking about like who's doing better, he's he's doing good. But whatever, Stabler feels the same. He punches Pete and says, who is the failure? You son of a bitch. He punches him a lot until Pete is finally like subdued and he's really Stabler's it's Stabler rage like he's going at him and he's like, you want some damage, I'll show you some damage, and he's punching him. When the cops come in, they pull Stabler off of him, like stand down, and they pull him away and he's like, I'm the cop, and then the lawyer guy.
Speaker 4: Comes in the little bathroom.
Speaker 1: Lawyer comes in and goes, it wasn't him, it was the guy on the floor that was hitting the kid, and then Stabler makes eye contact with Luke Benson comes in. He goes, leave me alone, and when she asks what happened, he goes, I don't know. And so the next thing we see are Stabler's bloody knuckles knocking on a door. The door opens and it's friend of the Pod Mary Stuart Masterson aka doctor Rebecca Hendrix, who the Squad last worked with in the episode Identity about the identical twins where one of them was forcibly transitioned into a girl and they murder their therapy. She invites him in, and then that's the commercial break. So now top of act two. And by the way, this episode's a little bit weird because this entire second act is him in her apartment, and that's like not usually the show moves around a lot, you know, it's definitely a little bit more of a dramatic let's get inside Stabler's head. It's season seven, let's get let's get behind the got behind this man. So he tells her that he just beat the hell out of a guy who was hitting his son, and Hendrix is like, can you remember anything else? And he's like, I remember looking in the mirror and she's like, what did you see? He's like, what difference does that make? He's being very antagonistic for someone that just like randomly knocked on a therapist's store. He sits down and he's like holding his head in his hand, going what's wrong with me? What's wrong with me? Like over and over, and he's like, I came to you because I didn't nowhere else to go. My captain sent me home, my wife left me, she took the kids. She was tired of me being angry all the time. And now he's like laughing like he's like he's laughing talking about how Kathy was tired of him being angry all the time. And then she's like, okay, well what happened and he goes, well, we went to a priest for counseling, but then she wanted out, like he's very much talking about it, like it was all Kathy's decision and he had nothing to do with it. He goes, I did everything I was supposed to do. I work hard, I got a good job, I never cheated. Congratulations, And he's like, and now I've lost my kids. It wasn't supposed to happen this way, and you know we know better because we have twelve seasons of this man's behavior. But she goes, well, did what happen today make you feel better? And he's like, are you judging me? Don't work me like a purp, and Stabler is like he's clearly like in pain, but he like cannot communicate him to this woman because literally he has not had any therapy or anyone even probably talked to him in a nice way his whole life, except maybe Kathy. And he's like, coming here was a mistake and he goes to leave. He like walks out the front door, and then she goes, let me ask you something. How many times have you thought about eating your gun? He looks at her so shocked that she would even ask that. He's like, suicide's a sin like and she goes, so is divorce And he's like fair enough. And he comes back into the apartment and he sits down, and she's like, how long have you been at SVU? And he goes, twelve years. She goes, the average tour is two. So I'm wondering if maybe that's why we only got Cat for a couple of years. We only got some of these other people.
Speaker 4: For a couple of years. You think they're being realistic to the I.
Speaker 1: Mean it's also casting, but I know, but it's like, wow, we haven't kept anybody for a long time since Rollins, you know, like besides the originals. Oh no, caresy Yeah, but Coreasy changed careers. He did a different he went a different way, Like he doesn't actually have to like necessarily be at crime scenes as much, even though he's showing up, he's doing pull ups. Okay, so what do you love about the job, She asks him, and he goes, Justice for the victims getting the pervs off the street. I'm not burned out. And then she goes, well, were you burned out on your marriage? And he goes, I told you she bailed, and he goes, you want to cut me loose?
Speaker 4: Give me a clue.
Speaker 1: It's like she showed up at the precinct on your birthday with the kids to be like, hey, I guess we have to come here to celebrate your birthday because you're such a psychopath.
Speaker 2: Like there are clues, dude, you're a detective. You didn't see the clues.
Speaker 1: And then she goes, did your captain give you a clue before he cut you loose? And he goes yeah, like about a million, but I always blow it. I don't like being ordered around and she goes, then why did you become a cop? Like she's actually asking a lot of good questions. Yeah, and he goes, well, my father was on the job and she goes, well, he must be proud, and he goes he's dead and she goes, well did he want you to do this?
Speaker 4: And Stable doesn't really answer.
Speaker 1: He goes, Kathy was pregnant, I needed the money, and was it what you wanted? And he goes, yeah, to be a cop all my life. And then she goes to them, why wasn't your dad proud? He goes, I never said that. Don't put words my mouth, and then he talks about how his dad liked the job until it forced him to rat his friends out in the NAP Commission. And I can't find the nare but we talked about the NAP Commission. I'm almost positive, but I can't find where the NAP Commission was formed. After Surproco not Terry Cerproco, the actor, I think his name is Frank Curproco. He's the guy that the movie's based on, and he was this famous whistleblower from the NYPD who blew the whistle on corruption and then they formed the NAP Commission in the early seventies to like weed out corruption at the NYPD. So ultimately it's a good thing. It's it's like he's obviously kind of parroting his dad's talking points, like yeah, and the whole is all this shit about you're a rat. Like it's also the way the show treats iab like, we're not supposed to be finding cops doing bad things.
Speaker 4: Why are they the bad guys? You know? So because they bullied our boys.
Speaker 1: Yeah at this point, you know, obviously later I think later Tucker gets more respect. But yeah, so the dad is part of the whole Curcuco takedown. And we've covered like cops that were from that time frame, like the eighties also that were just like doing really really shady shit, keeping drugs from drug deals and reselling them and et cetera. So she's like, oh, so your dad was a snitch and he's like, my father was no rat. He never testified, and she goes, I'm surprised he had a choice, and Stabler goes, he didn't. They fired him and he lost his pension, and you can imagine he acted like that was the end of the world. And Stabler's like, but I'm not him. Why all these questions. It's like, you came to a therapist. I don't know what you thought was going to happen. She was going to inject you with like a magic serum that makes you okay, Like, I don't know what you thought was going to happen at a therapist's office, and he's testing my patience. I wrote I wrote, show up at a shrink's house having a fucking breakdown, and then you are like, why so many questions?
Speaker 4: Did you think she was going to give you a back rub? Like, it's really.
Speaker 1: Strange how he doesn't understand how therapy works in any way. She's like, I have to know you to help you. And good fucking life, ma'am. Like, I feel like nobody. This man does not let people in. So he sits back down. She asks about the relationship with the dad. What you guys used to do together. He's like, watch TV, playball, go fishing. She's like, and well, he worked from four to twelve, so we didn't spend a lot of time together, which you could imagine. That's no time because you get home at four am, you go to sleep, and your kids go to school. You know you're never seeing them. So she goes, he never helped you with your homework. He goes, one time he did. In fifth grade, we had to make a diorama about the Civil War. He told me where to put the cannons the soldiers. Man, I never forgot it. He's getting wistful. He loves this, Okay, he is, but it's so it's straight. It's like, yeah, yeah, the one Civil war diorama is like the one nice member he has of this man and then he goes.
Speaker 4: She goes, did you get a good grade?
Speaker 1: She's like the best therapist of all times, she's reading minds, did you get a good grade? He goes, what difference does that make? He's getting mad again. She goes, it's just a question. He's like, what do you want from me? And she goes the truth, start talking, start really talking, and he goes and she goes, what grade did you get? All the diorama in fifth grade? As if anyone could really remember, because I wouldn't remember that.
Speaker 4: I did dozens of dioramas in school.
Speaker 1: I don't remember what grades I got on them, but I knew I usually got an A because my dad would do like the whole thing for me in a way that really annoyed me, but really well, like one time I really didn't want him to do the whole thing for me, and then I fully blacked out, like trying to make a diorama of the SERENGETI, I just didn't know what to do. So I just got like a box and I put a bunch of dirt in it, and I was like, I'm going to fail. And then so I asked for a one day extension, and my dad was like, we got this and like went to like a full, made a full like Diorama, got all this shit like that. He's good at that stuff and did all that, and then anytime I asked him for help on a project ever again, he just kind of took over, which I sometimes liked and sometimes was like, let me do something, you know. But I always did get good grades because he did like the whole thing.
Speaker 4: Damn secrets revealed, Yeah, secrets aveil.
Speaker 1: But one time in sixth grade, I made a track for worm races, and I went out and spent like twenty dollars of my own money to buy the cassette of Chariots a Fire to buy the Chariots of Fire song so that the worms could race to Chariots a Fire. And everyone in my class thought it was the funniest thing ever, and I was really proud of myself.
Speaker 4: That's a diarym I did on my own.
Speaker 1: That's something I did on my own.
Speaker 4: I made a worm race track. So anyway, she asked about the grade.
Speaker 1: Again, and he goes, I got I got an f okay, I didn't hand it in, And he's fighting back tears. He goes I moved one of the trees. My father saw it as I was leaving for school, took it out of my hands, threw it on the floor and stomped on it. Sounds like a great guy. If you're interested in more Stabler dad lore, they get into it more in oc if you're interest if that's like something that is interesting to you, like the Stabler character. They get into a lot of his family dynamics in organized crime, like at one point he has to go back and investigate an old case his dad worked like this and that. But and apparently they've introduced his brothers on the show, one being Dean Norris from Breaking Bad but I and the other one being married the guy who's in real life married to Jamie gray Hyder. But I have not gotten to those episodes yet. So anyway, she goes, that must have hurt and she and then he goes, well, he took his belt off and beat me with it because I cried, and so it's like, wow, cry the destruction of the diorama was the nicest thing this man did to Stabler, Like he literally made him cry and then beat him. And he said, because only pansies cry, and Stabler is bawling. Okay, I don't remember this part of this episode, like I remember this steroid episode, but like I don't remember this opening up of Stabler and the dad. He goes, my dad said I was weak. He called me a failure all the time. So what did you see in the mirror today, she asked, and Stabler, like face covered in tears, said I saw the guy my father always saw. And she goes, you're not. You're so busy being strong and helping everyone, You've got nothing left for yourself. She goes, It takes a lot more balls to talk about your problems than to beat the hell out of a ghost.
Speaker 4: Put it on a T shirt, beat the hell out of.
Speaker 1: A put that on every single toxic masculinity podcast that exists. You know, like, you can go ahead trying to prove what a big man you are, or you can just fucking talk about your problems and work through your trauma.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: So, I think what's so wild about this episode is it's the most dramatic episode we've ever seen from Christopher Maloney. And this episode is right after It's the episode directly after nine to one one, which is the episode where Marishka won the Emmy. He is nominated in two thousand and six for playing Elliott Stabler, but he now here's what I was looking up.
Speaker 4: Hold on, give me one such episode. It was that they submitted yes, because Ford week this for her.
Speaker 1: We know it's nine to one one, but I don't know why on the on the Wikipedia, it doesn't show you what episodes they're nominated for. Yeah, she was nominated in four, five, one, and O six, was nominated in seven, eight, nine, ten, and eleven. He was only nominated in O six and he lost to Key for Sutherland for twenty four.
Speaker 4: So I just wonder.
Speaker 1: And what's also interesting is that, like two thousand and five is around when I was working at the USA Network and I would get all this like free crap at work. And that's why I have a get a Clue vote SVU magnet on my fridge, which I will take a picture of and post on our stories. But like, I have that magnet because that was the year they were like really pushing for SVU to win, to get nominated, and you know, like cause really whenever anyone's nominated for these things, we all know it's like it's a campaign from the network. It's not like the nominating committee is going through and actually being like, what a wonderful performance? Has anyone else seen this? It's like the network's throwing money behind it. So it's interesting. I wonder if if Maloney is like bitter that she was nominated so many seasons and he wasn't, and the one that he did, he did do this crying episode right, like you know, they were giving them a lot of juice in season seven trying to get those awards. But yeah, he hasn't won like any awards. She won a Golden Globe. Also, he hasn't won anything, which awards are bullshit. He's still he's a great actor. But I just think it's like interesting how I feel like people just really related to her character and he is kind of just playing a guy we've seen before. She's a little bit more of an interesting character. He's like a cop who doesn't talk about his feelings. We've seen it, you know, so but here we got a lot of feelings. So this scene just ends with that amazing quote about the ghost. And now we're at the Breslan residence in Riverdale, which is you know, a section of the Bronx, and Stabler is walking up to the front door when he notices a bullet hole in a window, so he draws his weapon. Music gets ominous. He enters the home. He immediately finds Pete the dad, lying bloody on the floor. He shakes him he's and he's still alive, and Stabler calls it in and then we're fade to commercial.
Speaker 4: All right, So Stabler's in the ambulance on.
Speaker 1: His way to the hospital with Pete, and Pete mumbles, I can't even get that right, and Stabler's like, get what right? And he goes blowing my brains out. Sabler says, well, I'm glad you didn't, and he goes, Luke's a great kid. It's all my fault. And then he starts flatlining and the guy go the EMT's like he's in cardiac arrest, but he gets him back online really quickly, like he's immediately back online, and he goes, I.
Speaker 4: Feel like my chest is about to explode.
Speaker 1: The EMT goes, well, his pulse is racing and I don't really know why. I've never seen this before, and Stabler's like, stay with me. And so at the hospital we've got doctor Kyle Beresford, or as I like to call him surfer doc, the you know, the Cali bro who's a dock at a New york Er And he tells Stabler the bullet lodged and his skull never hit his brain, so it's like a miracle. He'll survive the gunshot wound. But his heart is another story. He had a reaction to the epinephrin that the medics gave him, and that means there must have been something else in his system, which the guy goes, my guess is steroids, and what the fuck? Like that is a twist?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: So he goes the bloodwork show testosterone was elevated, so Craigan walks in. Stabler's about to explain himself, but Daddy Craigan stops him and goes, I got a call from the bathroom lawyer. He said, how you stopped Pete from killing Luke? And you know, good work. And Stabler's like, you were right to send me home over the handling of this Luke situation. I was out of control, but like, I want you to know I'm dealing with it. So he goes, well, if you have trouble dealing with it, you come to my office or you called me and Stabler nods and he's like, let me wait for Pete to wake up, and then he tells Craigan about the steroids. Munch and Finn are at the Breslen house. We'll have him check for the drugs. So in Pete's hospital room, Sablor walks in. Pete goes, well, you want to kiss for saving my life? You can forget about it, and Stable goes, I'll settle for a hug.
Speaker 4: Now they're best friends again.
Speaker 1: We've forgotten that this man was brutally beating his son and he also takes steroids, and he was screaming at him for doing something that he himself does and he asks, he asks, how long have you been taking steroids? And Pete's like, well, remember that highway cop last year on Saten Island. The purp took his gun and shot him. And he goes, that was my partner after you, he got soft and got himself killed.
Speaker 4: I wasn't going to let that happen. Ah, yeah, yi, And then.
Speaker 1: Stabler goes taking roids to keep your edge on the street and he's like, are you gonna tell my CEO? And it's like, but dude, are you a cop or not? Like they fully obviously have gone to your house. They found your stash. There's no way to keep that quiet. Stable tells him that, and he goes, well, it was bound to happen after our fight. I knew I was going to get fired and lose my pension. That's why I tried to take my own life. And Stabler goes, don't lie to me. Where the powder burns on the side of your head? Where's Luke? And he goes, he's my son, and Benson walks in to pull Stabler out. So we are to believe that this man was shot in the head non fatally, somehow was able to stage it as a suicide. Was there a gun by him? Wasn't there a gun by him? But then also when he wakes up in the ambulance, he's got a story. He's ready to go, oh that's why I fucked. I mess this up to my suicide attempt, you know, like yeh, it's just like okay, all right, but okay. So outside the hospital room, Benson tells Stabler, we found Luke's print on the trigger of the gun. So Craigan told her to go get Stabler before they pick up Luke because he might be armed or roided out, and his father's duty weapon is missing, and Luke and Pamela are also both absent from.
Speaker 4: School, so this is not good. And it's in a Stabler pull up to.
Speaker 1: This house and it's Pamela's house, but we find that out later, and there are tons of uniform cops outside. They got a call about someone inside with a gun. Okay, so they knock on the door, no one answers, they go in. They go upstairs slowly, you know, it's very tense. A bedroom door is open. We see Pamela sitting on the bed looking terrified, looking in a direction off the off camera that we can't see.
Speaker 4: We're Pamela, she's at a rough couple days.
Speaker 1: I know, I know her bestie is rooted out and she didn't know, so we can't see him, but we can tell it's Luke right, he's in the room. She confirms to Benson with kind of like a nod and a look that he has a gun. And then he goes who's out there, and Stabler identifies himself. He's like, I'm coming in unarmed, and Luke is just like slumped against the wall of Pamela's room with a gun. Points it at his chest, so he just says, leave me alone, and Pamela's like, please, don't do this, Luke. And then Benson Grahams grabs Pamela out of the room and is like, come with me. Let's let the boys talk. And then Luke is like, I'm sick of talking, and Stabler's like, that's cool. I actually just came here to apologize for what I did, your dad, And Luke's like.
Speaker 4: Not as bad as what I did, and Stabler's like, what did you do?
Speaker 1: And he goes well, after court, I went to my aunt's house, but I wanted to talk to my dad, so I went home and then he just laid into me about the steroids again, and I said, you can't stop making me take them if you're taking them yourself. It's it's giving. I learned it from watching you dad. Do you know those Yeah? Those old no, but it's obviously that. Yeah, there were these old commercials about drugs that were like, what did you learn about this stuff? And it's like I learned it from watching you Dad. It was this dramatic thing that we used to say it like on the playground all the time. It was like, you know it was from that This is your brain on drugs era of like PSAs about drugs.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: For me, it's the flattened out pancake stoner that I have become. I don't know if I've seen that one, But you didn't see flat pancake girl who didn't pick up her sister from soccer practice, way like laying on the couch. Google Like, okay, let me try flat flalat pancake girl and mine s Ai Jesus Christ still won't stop there she is.
Speaker 4: Oh do you see her? Yes?
Speaker 3: You know why?
Speaker 1: It's because yours came out in like it says, this one came out in like the two thousands.
Speaker 2: Well, because I remember the egg, I remember the Rachel Lee Cook but I defin Oh my god, there's a shirt deflated girl from anti weed PSA.
Speaker 4: Of course you can't buy it. You can't buy it.
Speaker 1: No, No, that makes sense. Flat girl is like more would have hit you as a youth, whereas I learned it from watching you.
Speaker 4: Dad is more my time. Yeah, but I like that.
Speaker 2: Dad. So he tells Stabler that the juice he was taking he stole from his dad.
Speaker 1: Dude, you're like an idiot cop that takes steroids. You can't hide it well enough from your fucking son. But then you also let your roid rage scream at your son all the time for not being good enough, even though he is good enough. It's very confusing because are you always mad when you're roid raging it? Or I mean when you're taking Yes, you are. You're mad about when you're taking the steroids, and then you're depressed when you get off the steroids.
Speaker 4: Okay, got it? So anyway, not good.
Speaker 1: When he told his dad that he was stealing his steroids, instead of having one fucking minute of introspection, the cop goes, get out, get out of the house, the dad and he was so mad, Luke says, So he went and grabbed his old gun and I said, Dad, look at me, look at me, And he wouldn't look at him. And the next thing he knew, another little blackout, another little rage blackout. He's lying on the floor bleeding. Can I also just say, though, why does he keep having these roid induced blackouts if he's not taken the roids in a week and a half. He says he hasn't taken them, so why are the blackouts happening with the rage? I thought that was from the elevated testosterone. I'm just confused about the I need our medical community to rise up and tell me what was happening here. Like you're either like like you're blacked out taking roids or you're depressed because you stop taking the roids, So I don't really know anyway. The next thing I know, he goes he's lying on the floor and he goes, he was right. I am a failure and Stabler goes, no, you're not. I know you're scared. You think this is the only way out, but it's not. It's the steroids. When did you last take them? And he goes over a week ago. He goes, you're going through withdrawal. That's why you're depressed. And looks like okay, fair, But I murdered my father and Sabler's like, good news, he's alive and looks like you're lying.
Speaker 4: I shot him in the head.
Speaker 1: And Stabler's like, you're good at baseball and pitching, you're terrible at shooting guns.
Speaker 4: You only grazed him.
Speaker 1: You're gonna he's gonna be okay, and looks like but there was so much blood. Sabler goes, I talked to him an hour ago. He's sorry. He says, it's all his fault. You're the only good thing in his life.
Speaker 4: I guess.
Speaker 1: I guess the steroids drained from his system very quickly, and now he likes his son again.
Speaker 2: I'm confused. Luke, the near death experience helped him out.
Speaker 1: The adrenaline from the near death, the epinephrin maybe cleared out all the roids, and he felt like, actually, oh wait, I forgot I have like a really cute son who's good at sports and has friends in school and good at school, and I just shouldn't be beating him up. So Luke's like, I don't believe it, and Stabler goes, you can tell him yourself, as he gently takes the gun away. Stabler and Bens didn't share a look, and then we see Luke walking into the hospital room. He sees his dad lying there. He's got the square bandage on the side, not in all the way around. Unfortunately, they hug. Pete says I'm sorry. He kisses the side of his son's head, and that's dick wolf baby. These two little roydsters are just gonna work it out. I guess they're just both good detox from being on steroids together and live life as normal men.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And do you think they'll reminisce and me like, hey, dad, remember when you beat the shit out of me and tried to murder me and you know I was doing just what you were doing and you beat me up.
Speaker 4: Like I like what the fuck? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, this guy's blaming drugs, but like this dad's bad news. Yeah, the rules bet for him. He wants, you know, attempted the homicide of his child. Like I don't get it. I fucking hate his ass.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And it's also like he was like, you can't be a real man without drugs, and now the whole world knows, Like that would have made sense to me as a character who's like Who's like, I just don't want that's so embarrassing, Like that has some kind of embarrassment around. You're not a real man because you took drugs. You're doing that too, and you know you are. You're not blacking out that you did that. You're not forgetting details of your life that happen every day when you take steroids or I don't know how often you take them.
Speaker 4: But you know he's not a man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But on in two thousand and six. In two thousand and six, around the time that this is happening, there's the ongoing Balco scandal, which is mostly Major League Baseball MLB launched their own investigation called the Mitchell Report, where so basically SVU obviously doing things usually that are in the zeitgeist.
Speaker 4: They're talking about steroids.
Speaker 1: And I don't think that because that's what I'm saying when I talk about current seasons. If this was a current season topic of conversation, it would be a professional MLB player. But because old school SBU used to be about regular people, they make it about a high school kid playing baseball and a cop taking steroids, you know, and you know, you like that, and I like that. I like that, That's what it was about. I don't need to actually get into MLB players taking steroids.
Speaker 4: Boohoo.
Speaker 2: I mean whatever, Well, it's interesting you say that. We're actually going to talk about that a little bit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's go.
Speaker 2: So it's The Life and Unfortunate, you know, Taylor death of Taylor Houghton.
Speaker 4: It's uh.
Speaker 2: He was from Plaano, West Texas, which is an affluent area of North Dallas. And you know, like the show, he was popular, He was filled with excitement, was counted on by his high school baseball team to throw strikes.
Speaker 4: He was good at baseball.
Speaker 2: But it was the summer before his senior year, July fifteenth, and he did take his own life just a month past the seventeenth birthday. And his family and doctors believe that Taylor's death was related to the depression he felt when he stopped taking anabolic steroids. So you know, like in the episode, there's a sense of euphoria and then aggression that accompany the use of steroids became lethargy.
Speaker 4: It should be lethargy, right.
Speaker 1: Because it is lethartic.
Speaker 4: But I feel like lethargy. I don't know, I hate it.
Speaker 2: Whatever, Stop trying to sound smart New York Times, like use a chill word. He got sleepy, Okay, like unfortunately he be but yeah, he loss of energy, loss of confidence, melancholy and then hopelessness.
Speaker 4: Doctor Larry W.
Speaker 2: Gibbons, he's the president or was at a medical director of the Cooper Aerobic Center, and he said that this is a kid that was well liked, good friends, no serious emotional problems, bright future.
Speaker 4: And this is a paraphrase from the New York Times.
Speaker 2: His father, Dawn, said that he was showing all the symptoms, but like we didn't know any better.
Speaker 4: We should have. And that's the thing.
Speaker 2: It's like, if you don't know the symptoms and what you're looking out for, you don't know. But looking back, the dad said that like he had every you know, acne on his back. He was aggressive, irritable, He flew into rages. I'm like, I besides the acne, I'm like, is this me? My aunt stere its, but then tearfully apologetic. He took several hundred dollars from his parents' bank account without permission. He would pound the floor with his fists and anger. He injured a knuckle once punching a wall, and then after his death, his family learned that Taylor had hurled a phone through a wall and hid the damage behind a picture, and also pummeled his girlfriend's former boyfriend, who required stitches to close a wound.
Speaker 4: Damn.
Speaker 2: None of his friends alerted an adult, though, because even though his parents did test him for drugs, eventually it came back negative because they tested for recreational drugs, not steroids. So he was like, see, I wasn't doing anything but his behavior became alarming, and they went on a family vacation and he stole a digital camera and laptop on the trip to England, and when they came home, the family confronted him about it and he was grounded. And then the next morning, Taylor asked his mom to lift the punishment and she said no, and he went upstairs and unfortunately hung himself in his room. My god, And you know, like you were saying, we're so focused on professional athletes that we forget that only a few pros engage in this. But high school students are susceptible to all of this and all these issues. And since high school aged kids by nature are less likely to understand or be concerned with potential side effects like infertility, trophied testicles, high blood pressure, liver damage, prostate cancer, it stops bone growth. It's really wild. So as a kid, you're not thinking about this. As as an adult or parent, you're probably not really thinking about you know, you don't know about the kid's balls.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: But elite athletes also understand the side effects. They can also afford to pay for the real stuff, But kids don't have the knowledge, and they buy it from some clown. And that's said by doctor Donald A. Malone, a psychiatrist at Cleveland Clinic, who in nineteen ninety five did a study indicating an association between depression and steroid use. So yeah, it's just like they get it from clowns at school and parents are clueless about the signs of steroid use, and some parents even encourage it in an attempt to help promote their kids' careers, not really thinking about long term as well. And then headlines are better with superstars, but the underbelly is a serious problem, and parents are proud of their kid for bulking up and don't really and they see their kid working out, so they just put that together in their heads and so yeah, and then it's sad and a boy died and it's like a fucking bummer, I mean to be grounded for a day because you did steal a laptop and phone. And then yeah, it's so scary.
Speaker 1: I feel like I heard maybe it was Joel Kim Booster talking about this with Katya. It was on Tricks and Katya's podcast. I think it was when Joel went on and they talked about steroids and about how like so many gay men are on circuits. They were saying of steroids and because you know, there's like a pressure in sections of the gay community to be like jacked and muscleee and stuff, and yeah, it's like I can't be it's just uh, it cannot be good.
Speaker 2: No, it's sad, and I'm sorry, I don't have more information. It was a lot of like memorials and stuff and like just people liked him, but there was only one real news story, yeah to really get into Yeah, yeah, yeah, but it's definitely fucking sad and it probably wouldn't have even been reported on if it wasn't that steroids were so huge in the conversation at the time, you know, like I don't think kids taking their like you know, most of the time that doesn't get reported on, you know, but it was like, wow, yeah, it says, well, the Internet, I don't know if this is true, says that the peak of the steroids era, that the steroids era is ninety four to two thousand and four. And then I think around the time of this episode is when like the reckoning starts happening, where everybody starts getting like the celebrities at least start getting busted but now it feels like it's kind of just like a common thing among people trying to get to work out and get big.
Speaker 4: No, yeah, just everyone.
Speaker 2: If you're not playing Superman in a movie, you don't need steroids.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, unless you're in the WWE.
Speaker 2: And even if you a man, yeah because like because if you're playing Superman in a movie, the studio is paying for you to have a trainer and a chef, and like there they are make they will make.
Speaker 1: Your body look how they wanted to look. You know, you just have to work with them and work hard as hell.
Speaker 4: I'm sure.
Speaker 2: But everybody trying to get swollen? Okay, yeah, everyone be careful out there. And that supplements came up too. It's like kind of.
Speaker 4: God, the supplement industry is so wild.
Speaker 1: All right, let's no guests today, so let's get right into our post mortem.
Speaker 4: Wow, I mean I forgot.
Speaker 1: I kind of forgot about steroids and they are really risky.
Speaker 2: You don't You don't think guys saw my nephew and gave him a speech. You don't think I gave him a speech last week?
Speaker 4: What did he say? Has he thought about it?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: Do you don't think I was so graphic.
Speaker 2: I was. He's like, I'm not, but I want to like all this stuff, and I go, but then you'll get depressed and you could hang yourself in your room. He was like, I'm not going to do that. I'm like, well, this kid didn't think that either.
Speaker 4: You don't know that. We don't know.
Speaker 2: And then I was like, and when you go to college, even if you don't do anything, if you see a girl getting assaulted at your weird frats, I go, you do something, or you're a part of the culture. He's like, okay, okay, I gave a huge speech. Yeah, someone's got to do I mean, yeah, he talked to me for so long. It was actually a huge week for me last week, Like, wow, yeah, you got one of them texting you, one of them talking to you. Yeah, we taught. We sat and talked for like an hour. It was so exciting in my parents' kitchen. So that was the Wow. Yeah, okay, they're coming around.
Speaker 1: It's just the it's the ups and downs of teens being too cool for school.
Speaker 2: But but yeah, no, I it's it's fucked. You can do it through excert, like because he enjoyed the work of it.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I just it's upsetting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's up setting, and they think everyone's on steroids, like your friend Kumel and I go, I swear I don't. I heard he didn't do it. I have sources he didn't. And my nephew does not believe it.
Speaker 4: No, because nobody can. Nobody can believe that.
Speaker 1: Like someone who was once like very small, like not not very small, but smaller, is like so big with and it's like he worked so fucking hard and had Marvel giving him a trainer and a chef, like, come on, it can happen, but then you got to maintain it, which is what he's been doing.
Speaker 2: But you know, I feel like in general, it just doesn't make sense. It's like just do But you know, I'm a door I'm a corny person. I feel like the journey is always the whole point. Like he enjoys going to the gym. I'm like, if you enjoy it, do the thing, that's the whole point. All those other things are for other people. I'm like, you like to do it, it's a right. But these guys right each other.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it's true or not, because I'm not like a nutritionist or like a physiologist. But like they will tell each other, it doesn't matter how much you go to the gym, like you will hit a ceiling, like you can only get to like sure huge, like the hugeness of whatever being a bodybuilder or well then go to therapy. Yeah exactly, that's the thing. Why do you need to get that?
Speaker 2: Are you're a peak physical performance doing every that's your peak? Like I don't I mean whatever, or do steroids, shrinker balls, beat up your backnee, get back mee, beat the shit out of your friend.
Speaker 4: I don't know, don't remember anything.
Speaker 1: Like shoot your dad almost missing him and barely miss him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know what do I know? What do I know?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 4: Do the things?
Speaker 2: I guess with adults, it's like you're doing your adult decisions. But it's like scary for kids to be doing it. That parents would encourage their kids to do it, Like all of it is just unsettling to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, and for sports, but you know, not.
Speaker 2: To bring it back to heated rivalry, but like a lot of people in a positive way are going to the gym, Like people are feeling different, people are like chem I mean, also, my phone is feeding me things I want to see. But the psychologist is like, I feel the happiness of the show is really cracking something in people's brains.
Speaker 4: Everyone's doing push ups, going to the gym.
Speaker 2: I saw people being like, I'm going on dates now, Like I think people are like really into it and it's bringing my nice is going to a party like all these bar parties where it's like mixes them.
Speaker 4: I'm going to the cottage.
Speaker 2: I mean, I went to the soul cycle class, like we were all so happy to be there, like anything, Like, not only is the show such a creative thing, it feels like it's really giving something to a lot of people in different ways.
Speaker 4: But some of it is going to the gym.
Speaker 1: What I like about the guys too, is like they don't look like mass his meat head athletes when they're just in clothes, right, Like, they don't look like that when they're just walking.
Speaker 4: Around in clothes.
Speaker 1: And he's like meeting his parents to talk about Rolex or whatever, Like he just looks like a college guy, right, Yeah, he doesn't look like the best hockey player in a country, you know. And then he takes off his clothes and you're like, okay, I see it now, Like.
Speaker 4: There's literally like or like the tight shirt runnings.
Speaker 1: Yeah when yeah, like they they look they look really good.
Speaker 4: They look very good, very they look very healthy.
Speaker 2: Uh all right, work yeah, I don't know, just like do the sports. Yeah yeah, but I don't know. Stay away from stay away from the juice. Don't don't get don't juice it up, chick, I don't know.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, look someone gave me an opal labuoboo.
Speaker 2: Oh wow. I don't know if it's opal. I've made that up, but it's something cool. It's Opa light. Yeah, it's cool. That's very cute.
Speaker 4: I like it. I like that someone gave it to you, but you didn't buy it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, I've been actually really good outside the CA top. I have not gone out to like a dinner.
Speaker 4: I'm the same.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to like lay low with the finances right now.
Speaker 2: I have not and I've challenged myself. I've been going I've wanted to do stuff. Yeah yeah, but I'm not I'm not interested. I'm not interested in it.
Speaker 4: Actually. Yeah that's good.
Speaker 1: I mean like I've been just sort of I actually have not had a single I'm not doing dry January or stopping drinking or anything like that. I just have drink it more today. I it's been a week since I had a drink.
Speaker 2: Okay, Oh for me, I actually just stopped fully eating and I've only been drinking.
Speaker 4: That's what I've been doing.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I'm not going out to eat, but I guess I'll have three Vaka sodas, get blacked.
Speaker 4: Out and go home.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm not suggesting that for the masses, that's not I'm not saying that that's yeah to do. I'm not saying it's the right thing to do. I'm saying we're all holding on.
Speaker 4: How we're holding on. For me, I'm starving until i can get drunk off two drinks.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: I've been thinking about the wine that I'm going to have tonight at my show all week for a week.
Speaker 4: Yea.
Speaker 1: So trust me, I'm not like, Wow, I don't even think about it. Life just feels easier. No, I think about it all the time, and I want to have wine again. But I'm trying to I'm trying to break the association of like every time I cook a meal, I'm having a little glass of wine. Like I don't need to do that every single time, you know, because I just don't like cooking and it makes it feel more fun and I need to just suck it up and make a quick dinner and not you know, have to have wine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we could each have our different goals and that's what's really great.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah for me, Yeah, yeah, I'm just trying to chill a little bit. But I'm not off. I like it all right, let's get into what would Sister Peg do?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: This is our weekly segment where we try to give you some more information about what we talked about in the episode, whether it's a documentary or a blog or Oh, I mean to interrupt myself. This is usually the point where you interrupt me is right when I'm about to get into sister Peg. But Nancy Schwartzman messaged me and I shared it on the Instagram for that's messed up. But they apparently federal prosecutors are looking back into Ellen Greenberg's case. So her documentary made a difference and hopefully there will be some justice for Ellen. But I just wanted to throw that out there. But what would mister Peg do? Our weekly segment blog organization where you can donate article you can read, just to give you more info.
Speaker 4: Because Lord knows.
Speaker 1: We are certainly not any kind of encyclopedia around here. And this week I wanted to point you to an article from the Mayo Clinic titled Performance Enhancing Drugs, Know the Risks. This article has a ton of info about anabolic steroids, human growth hormone, creatine, and many other drugs. It features definitions and risks and the bottom line of the article is doping is bad for you. But go ahead and read it. And I mean even we didn't know the difference between HGH and steroids. Just to know, yeah, just to know more of the differences. You can head over to Mayoclinic dot org and that article will be linked in our show notes and uh also posted in a story the day this episode comes out, which will be saved for eternity in our WWSPD highlights, which are on our Instagram page That's Messed Up, where you can follow for content, homework posts, fun chats about the episode.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much, and thank.
Speaker 2: You also everybody for your your Thank you everybody for your advice on my planter fash itis.
Speaker 4: I really appreciate it. I've been getting a lot of advice, dude.
Speaker 2: My insuls have changed my life my pain has gone down significantly.
Speaker 1: I'm doing everything that p Dietrist told me, and it's I'm still having a bunch of pains.
Speaker 2: Well now, now listen, I'm not saying, like my dad says, humans aren't cars. You don't just switch apart and it feels better. Yeah, it's a journey. Yeah, it's a journey. You you it takes a while to get Yeah. But my skin is back to being fully inflamed. So who knows what I was?
Speaker 4: God? I'm like, I'm like, you know, you don't know what you got till it's gone.
Speaker 2: And I didn't realize how much I missed sense, Like I really am going crazy.
Speaker 4: I am really really sad.
Speaker 2: I'm like really sad that I don't get to hear perfume and that my skin.
Speaker 4: I'm like, was it the towel at the gym? Was it my parents sheet?
Speaker 2: I know?
Speaker 4: Miss this was it?
Speaker 2: This? Did I wash my hair here? Was it the dry shampoo? And I'm just like, I have eliminated so much for my life? Why am I inflamed?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Whatever, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: Who cares Next week, but we'll be watching Spooked season eleven, episode six, So that's pretty exciting watch it. We'll see you next week. Please come see me live. For the love of God bye, That's Messed Up as an Exactly Right production.
Speaker 1: If you have compliments you'd like to to give us or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email it That's Messed uppod at gmail dot com. Listen to That's Messed Up on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod, and follow us personally at Kara Klank and.
Speaker 4: At Glitter Cheese.
Speaker 1: As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much to our senior producer Casey O'Brien and our associate producer Christina Chamberlain, and to.
Speaker 1: Our mixer John Bradley and our guest booker Patrick Cottner, and to Henry Kaperski for our theme song and Carly gen Andrews for our artwork. Thank you to our executive producers Georgia hard Start, Karen Kilgareff, Daniel Kramer, and everybody at Exactly Right Media.
Speaker 3: Dut Dun