Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This is Mick Shot screaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys apt now Here are Bill Jones, Savannah Humoller, Everson Wolves, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 4: It's a moving on.
Speaker 5: Tuesday here inside the SWBC podcast studio, as it's a beautiful day here at the Star in Frisco, in a beautiful day to look ahead to the Los Angeles Chargers next Monday night. Bill Jones, you got all the names right off the top there.
Speaker 6: Everson.
Speaker 5: I heard you talked about on serious NFL Radio on the drive end, Charle Charlie Weiss, what you talking about?
Speaker 6: What does that do wrong? Bring up Dwight clock again is the one who know.
Speaker 5: Charlie Wise was talking about Everson Walls. He was talking about teams picking up veteran defensive backs when guys go down with injured.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 5: He was talking to Bob Poppa's co host Wow, and he said, and I think that the Bills signed Josh Norman.
Speaker 6: And veteran cornerback and.
Speaker 5: So love that move because he said, you can't have enough veteran cornerbacks on your team. And then he said, I'll give you Everson Walls. Remember Everson Walls. That was the prototype veteran corner joining a championship level team, and how that story turned out.
Speaker 7: I was nine years in the league at the time. Well, Josh Norman, what is he right now?
Speaker 6: He's around that, around that probably he's port thirty. He's just blowing me off now.
Speaker 4: I can look it up. You keep talking.
Speaker 7: I don't think, don't I don't think. I think he's little older than I was when I went to the Giants. But yeah, that was one of those things. But I still had something left. You know, that's the main town. You don't want to just pick up any player.
Speaker 5: Oh, Josh Jordan is older, see what I'm saying?
Speaker 4: Oh years old?
Speaker 6: Yes, I thought I was.
Speaker 7: I think I wasn't even thirty yet when I had gone to the Giants. So yeah, it still had a little something left. It wasn't that well when I went there. I guess they were just looking for a guy to back up. I don't think they realized how good I was going to be.
Speaker 5: You know, so much funny about it was you're looking for a veteran guy, a guy and making the way he described it, he said, he got a veteran guy.
Speaker 6: He might be slow, but that's the story of my career. But you know, just so, I mean, I wasn't just there.
Speaker 7: I ended up breaking into the starting lineup, so I wasn't just there, and I knew that what I was there for. And I told Psels you let me start, I'm gonna help you win the Super Bowl. I swear to god, I told him those words because he was just blowing me off like something Jersey guy, a whatever kid. Yeah yeah, yeah, whatever. He didn't believe a word I said. I promised him I would help him win the Super Bowl. The only person that really believed in me was Belichick, and he came in smiling. I hadn't seen him smile since that's the first time I saw him smiling. The last time I saw him smile, I had to work no, you know, he smiled later on that year, though.
Speaker 6: So we had we we knew what we had.
Speaker 7: We had a team that ran his own zone defense, which helped a lot in regards to myself and the man to man that we had to play, but also having Launch Taylor on the team. Just got to tell you, not just him, but Pepper and that whole defense. We won the way you were supposed to win, and that's what defense. So I was happy to leave that.
Speaker 5: Team in interceptions, Mackey, on these days, thirty years from now, we're gonna be talking about a veteran linebacker that the Cowboys brought him in five or six games into the season when their middle linebacker goes down with an injury, and now he led them to the promised Land.
Speaker 6: Right, who are we talking about?
Speaker 5: Well, you do tell Mickey, right, Oh yeah, there's Mickey is scouring.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, rosters for you guys talking to me. Yes, we're talking.
Speaker 5: That was the bad news of yesterday as Leighton vander esh reportedly four to six weeks.
Speaker 4: So here's the deal on him. I can't help you there. Uh he suffered you know, they called it a neck injury. Right, he suffered a severe stinger. But when he goes down, knowing that a couple of years ago he had to have uh, disc surgery for his neck and fuse two of the vertebrates together. When they take the dis you know, everybody calls it spinal surgery. You don't surgically repair your spine, you repair your vertebrate.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: And I think that's why you saw all the concern while he was laying there though he had he had movement. He's you can see his feet were moving, his hands were moving.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 4: So it's a it's it's a stinger. And you tell me if you had, you know, a case of a kind of a case of spinal stenosis and you've already had dysurgery, and you go down and you feel some tingling, what's going through your mind?
Speaker 9: It's taking you right back there.
Speaker 10: You're like, that's it.
Speaker 6: Took me, even as a fan, as a fan, that's where it took me. I was like, and think.
Speaker 5: Especially his posture as is the crown of his helmet hits aside of Micah, and it's those are what causes the neck, the severe neck injuries. When you got your head all the way down and.
Speaker 4: Think about it, if it went through your mind and your mind, what was going going through his No doubt, right, So they're going to put him on injured reserve, and I thought, you know, it's four weeks, so I'm going, oh, that's good because there's a bye weekend there, so it's really three now, the bye week doesn't count four games, not four.
Speaker 10: Games for four games.
Speaker 4: So and then I'm thinking, okay, you're it's good that he'll have five weeks, right, but he can't practice, so to me, you don't just come off the IR up. Yeah, so it's probably.
Speaker 6: Five I've heard that many times.
Speaker 4: It's probably five five games.
Speaker 5: So four games takes you through the Giants game on November twelfth.
Speaker 4: So you missed him first Philadelphia game.
Speaker 5: Put him on IR this week. It's four games, five weeks, So November nineteenth at Carolina would be his first game eligible. And then that's the Sunday before Thanksgiving, and so you got Washington on Thanksgiving Day on the twenty third.
Speaker 4: So when's the Philadelphia game? The first one?
Speaker 5: The first Philadelphia game is November fifth, so.
Speaker 4: He would miss he would miss that.
Speaker 6: That's that's just.
Speaker 5: We got Chargers by week who stole the Rams of November twenty ninth, and Philadelphia on.
Speaker 4: November fifth, somebody stole the media.
Speaker 5: So you're looking at basically Thanksgiving week.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that's a short week.
Speaker 5: So and you got a Thursday game the week after that too, against Seattle right on November thirtieth.
Speaker 4: Okay, so you asked, what are they going to do at linebacker? Well, obviously, Damone Clark now is going to play more snaps, so he'll be the main guy.
Speaker 5: And that wasn't as big a concern. I mean, Damone Clark can do the Leyton vander esh It's it's what it's the trickle down.
Speaker 4: From trickle down. That's where I was going to go because Clark ended up playing sixty five percent of the snaps. But when we were talking with John Fossil, it becomes a special teams problem because I didn't realize that Clark was playing that many special team snaps. So in the game he played nineteen special team snaps. I think there were twenty five in the game, so he plays seventy percent. Well, if he's got to take up the slack, he's not going to be on special teams. Now, you've got to have somebody step up on special teams.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: And they also he's pretty young guy, isn't Yeah, Oh no, and he's willing, yeah, Fossil was that was one of the things impressed him about Clark that he he wanted to go out there and help.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we already, I mean, is this a change because you know, that's what veterans do.
Speaker 4: Well, that's what second year got.
Speaker 7: Well still you know, yeah, a young kid is yeah, uh well, now he's a veteran. He has to play, right, he has no choice. Yeah, I mean playing special teams depending on how where they put it.
Speaker 4: And that and that's the thing.
Speaker 5: He he's not playing every snap on on defense like Layton was. Yeah, Layton late he was a guy. Yeah, Layton's eight three down linebacker. And so his special teams. He had six special team snaps in the last game in New England Game two, so many Clark is going now. Clark against San Francisco wound up playing forty six snaps. Part of that was lateon went out late, but also the way San Francisco used a full But he's gonna be on the field more against San Francisco than what he was against New England when he was on the field for twenty five snaps.
Speaker 6: Against New England.
Speaker 7: To me, I don't know, it's just to me, special teams shouldn't tax you that much.
Speaker 10: You know, really these days you're.
Speaker 6: Not thank you, thank you, You're not the gunner right right now? That's serious.
Speaker 7: Yeah, But now, I especially a young man like that. I don't see that being a.
Speaker 4: You could put him out there on kickoff coverage because you never have a kickoff to cover.
Speaker 7: And you know you don't have so many guys making plays on special teams anyway.
Speaker 4: So here here's the downside. In that game, he led the team with ten tackles, so i'm assuming leading Layton did. I'm assuming he's the team leader in tackles. Now, you've got to be able to replace that had eight.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Right, So.
Speaker 4: Again, now in some of the change up things, if it's Clark, you can use Marquise Bell to me. And I think I said it yesterday. Parsons is a linebacker, and Parsons and Clark are my starting linebackers. I don't think there's any other way around it. I think that's what it's got to be. And I think he'll be even more effective at linebacker because they can't double team a linebacker as easily as a defense.
Speaker 6: You'll still probably put him on the line on third down.
Speaker 4: And that's fine, Yes, that's fine. That so he still has against two tight ends or a tight end and a full back, he's got to be my linebacker.
Speaker 5: So it's basically in situations where previously you had Leyton and Damon Clark on the field at the same time you've got Parsons in de Mont Clark. It's when Damon would have come off the field in a nickel situation. That's when Damone is in Layton spot and Micah is back doing what he was doing.
Speaker 4: Right, exactly what and Marquise Bells Bells helps out and those nickel situations.
Speaker 5: Marquise Bell is a safety who converted the linebacker five weeks ago, and you need another so you additional linebacker, and you need a couple actually, and.
Speaker 6: You need you need someone with some experience.
Speaker 7: I talked about this yesterday and you were you were right in saying that, well, these guys are veterans. They I don't think they are veterans in this defense, right, They're not veterans in this defense. So when I talked about the inexperience yesterday, I meant they don't know how in this defense to attack three tight end offense, well, two tight ends with the with the big, big fullback. They don't know what that's all about. They don't know where to feel they create the the mismatches, especially as far as numbers are concerned, by going back weak side every time, and yaw, you're stuck with either Bland or Marquise Bell trying to fill that hole and turn it inside.
Speaker 6: That's where they're not catching the experience. Then they go play.
Speaker 7: Action on that and now they're totally lost because it's not a run, it's a past. They have no idea what the matchup is. That's how we end up getting burned. They knew that the linebacker would not or the safety I can't remember, would not be able to catch that tight slot man coming all the way across, or Kittle, Kittle where tight slot.
Speaker 4: Bell watched him go right.
Speaker 7: Well, that's because he's thinking. First of all, he's thinking right. Second of all, based on that play action and the formation.
Speaker 6: He had no idea. He went out the couple that time.
Speaker 4: And then nobody, nobody re routed Kittle when he came off the line he ran.
Speaker 6: No one reroutes anymore. They don't rerout anymore.
Speaker 4: Why not?
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 7: I hate it when you're in the slot. That's what we did in New York. You're gonna re route that man. Belichick's whole thing was you better put a shoulder, a hip or something on that slot man to divert him to the safety.
Speaker 6: No one does that anymore Spas.
Speaker 7: They really don't unless they're playing man to man period. They always let the slot man go. That's why you got so much pressure on your safety is in.
Speaker 4: The back because the one route that Kittle came across and Bell didn't pick him up. Vander ash just took a step over there at Kittle, but he never touched him, and I don't know what his responsibility was, but I was thinking, well, if you reroute him there, you know, get in there.
Speaker 7: That's why the Giants d fence was so good. With Belichick, we always re route. No one has a free release in the slot position. Maybe on the outside, yes, but the slot position you can't have it.
Speaker 6: That's a foregone conclusion.
Speaker 7: Now in the NFL, I don't hardly see anyone in zone position in zone defense re routing slotman.
Speaker 4: Including the forty nine ers on turping. He ran right by the guy. By the way I'm understanding, he's probably more day to day than any with that ankle injury he suffered. With that BS tackle on the sideline that the guy should have been called for a horse collar or the tackle where you pull from behind and land on the back of his legs and he was out of bounds. But no flag. But boy, they sure got Donovan Wilson. I can continue. There was a lot I think they saw from what I'm told on tape of punches being throwed that were just ignored.
Speaker 6: There was a lot of stuff. We could see it in the game.
Speaker 4: Somebody said, like, you know what, if we have to play them again, it's gonna be a it's a it's gonna be a fight. Yeah, yeah, ain't gonna put up. They all ain't got called for one punch.
Speaker 6: And we saw several things.
Speaker 7: But at the same time, this is what and I hate I hate talking about that because we put ourselves in a position to where, well, would that make a difference, right, And in some ways it would have if it changed based on that time, that particular time and moment, as you always do a bill, Well, if this would have happen, then blah blah blah blah, that's very true. But forty two points of forty plus points, it's hard to explain that other way.
Speaker 5: The grapes are sours, all right, we're just getting started.
Speaker 4: Wait, that's gonna be the header for this.
Speaker 5: You could work it into the last week.
Speaker 4: What was last week's hearken hearking? I used to it too, Are you hearkening back marketing back? No, I think you said it earlier than what I'm going to use. Oh I forgot I should have wrote it down. Hey, just be sure you said it something Tuesday. Moving on, Moving on, Well, before we.
Speaker 7: Move on, I'm surprised Bill that brought it up. As far as blowouts were concerned during the year and how teams ended up. Nineteen eighty five, we got blown out Bears forty four nothing one week, Cincinnati Cincinnati fifty two plus. I don't remember what that school was, and then we ended up coming out.
Speaker 4: We had our mania. God, we could have looked it up.
Speaker 6: No, well, I can say this much.
Speaker 7: We went on the next week, uh to Well, the Giants came in town.
Speaker 6: The next week we won the NFC East. So we've come back.
Speaker 7: That was two consecutive blowouts we came back from to come back and win the NFC East against a really good Giants.
Speaker 4: Team that year, Cincinnati kinnabrew ran all.
Speaker 5: Over Larry kinnabrew Is. Fifty to twenty four was the final score. December eighth nineteen.
Speaker 7: We got twenty four because I blocked upot.
Speaker 6: My only blocked my entire career.
Speaker 5: Okay, just to review, since you brought it up. The Chicago game was November seventeenth, forty four to nothing, came back, rebounded from that, beat Philadelphia thirty four to seventeen, beat the then Saint Louis Cardinals thirty five seventeen, then went to Cincinnati, laid that egg, and came back and beat the Giants twenty eighth twenty one to get to ten and five on the season.
Speaker 4: What was the first Cardinals score?
Speaker 5: First Cardinals score was twenty one to ten loss at Saint Louis November fourth.
Speaker 7: Now, just actually begin, I mean we pulled it together for that Giants game.
Speaker 5: But the next week then the off last game of the regular season was at San Francisco thirty one sixteen loss, and then it was the game at the Ram.
Speaker 6: Dickson of course went off on this. Yeah, I don't think we scored that game almost.
Speaker 4: I almost got run over in that San Francisco.
Speaker 6: I did get run over the game.
Speaker 4: Because you had to where the press box was, to where the locker room was. You had to there. You had to cross the field and they let people on the field after and these people were running like a bench of a bunch of Maybe.
Speaker 6: What happened to you?
Speaker 4: I almost got run over by a fans Did you?
Speaker 6: Did you know? I?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: No, you were know you I did? I had to fake them bags.
Speaker 5: That Gaglestick Park.
Speaker 4: It was yeah, right where I've ruined many of shoes there in that goofy field.
Speaker 5: All right, we will continue going down memory lane with Everson and Mickey continues. At a moment, we'll harken back.
Speaker 10: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 11: And they snapped the fresh guy who looks right, it's not there. He escaped flapped. He'll look full punk style.
Speaker 6: Just like football.
Speaker 10: When it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With Blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 4: Prescott's gonna run this ship. Shelf run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 10: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 6: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 10: Get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 2: You know that sound anywhere. It's the crisp crunch, that first nacho chip with its perfect cheese to sour cream ratio sitting atop a layer of delicious beans. It's a sip away from perfection. That's what we're looking for. Add a delicious, refreshing pepsi, and we've achieved absolute nacho nirvana. Because while you can pile those nachos high with every spicy, cheesy, savory topping, there's no topping of school Pepsi. Finish nachos better with pepsi.
Speaker 6: That's what I like.
Speaker 8: The Metal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 12: Cowboys football and Miller Lite. What a pairing can Crack's a kickoff tailgates going way past postgame Sunday night overtimes, followed by Monday Morning Swag Brisky and the Smoker, Miller Lite and the Creek, America's team playing America's Greatest school. Miller Lite the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys Football taste like Miller Time Celebrate Responsibly twenty twenty three miliber Own Company, Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 4: Shots.
Speaker 9: K Post Roofing and Waterproofing, the official roofer of the Dallas Cowboys. We have a text all.
Speaker 5: Right, the text machine is working.
Speaker 9: It is working today. Steve and New York would like to know after five games, what concerns us more the QB or offensive scheme under Schottenheimer.
Speaker 4: Well, interesting, Shottenheimer, I need to run over there, and it's your offense. Shape up, buddy.
Speaker 5: Head coach likes that. It's this week is Shottenneimer's.
Speaker 4: We'll take that. Mike McCarthy's off the hook.
Speaker 5: Uh huh, that's right, all right.
Speaker 4: What was his name, Steve, Steven New York. So Steve, it's Mike McCarthy's offense. Correct. Just because Brian Schottenheimer has the title of offensive coordinator, he's the offensive coordinating helper. They're running Mike McCarthy's offense, and I'm not worried about Dak. I think one of the things to fix Dak is to just get him to slow down, settle down, quit thinking I got to get the ball out of my hands. I got to get the ball out of my hands. And by doing that, I think he hasn't gone through his progression of reeds the way he needs to now. He got speeded up in that game because the protection basically sucked. I mean he got hit nine times and sacked three times. I think that should tell you something.
Speaker 6: And let's just be real.
Speaker 7: They weren't exactly wide opened down the field, right. You had some very tight coverage from the jam position, press position at the line of scrimmage from the cornerbacks. So they're making it hard for the timing to be there between the quarterback in a wide.
Speaker 4: Receiver, especially if you're in a hurry to get the ball out.
Speaker 7: Of you hate hurry to get it out and they're man to man and so you can't be predictable with your routes. There has to be some type of adjustment made. He has to be able to make an audible on certain defenses because you can't run that short, quick slant and intermediate routes against a man to man.
Speaker 6: When they're pressing.
Speaker 7: So hard on our wide receivers, they have to work harder on getting open, or.
Speaker 6: He has to make sure he has some different.
Speaker 4: Checkdowns and the other thing. And I don't know why cowboy quarterbacks have problems with this, but it kind of reminded me of that Buffalo game when Tony Romo threw four interceptions in the first half. Warner, their middle linebacker is running down the field in the middle, and you now, if you're going to hit that guy in a crossing route, you got to throw over the linebacker, but before the safety gets there, and that's how he broke up. I believe that one pass and it's difficult, and that's what Romo was doing. I forgot the Buffalo linebacker that intercepted him, but he kept saying, Oh, I can do this, I can do this, and he couldn't right, and then the second half he adjusted.
Speaker 5: So why was San Francisco able to do that in this game but Dallas wasn't able to.
Speaker 4: Well, it had to be something on how they scheme the defense, or.
Speaker 5: It could be that the Cowboys with the concern of Christian McCaffrey in the backfield right, and the linebackers aren't dropping as much because they have to support the run, which they and San Francisco did a great job stopping the run early in the game, and so the linebackers could drop right.
Speaker 7: They didn't need the linebackers to stop the run. That's what we saw. Yeah, I saw defensive lineman, defensive ends blowing up everything when we tried to go why And that's part of this Texas Coast offense is We're going to attack the edges and we couldn't get outside. They supported those edges from the defensive end standpoint, so we couldn't run the ball at all.
Speaker 6: They didn't even need their linebackers.
Speaker 4: Nineteen carries for fifty seven yards.
Speaker 7: And it was the tackles for loss that were huge, and they killed some of our drives, especially the decision making process.
Speaker 6: That we had.
Speaker 7: We were trying to go for we had third down and we were going to go two down territory.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, tackles for loss you think they had.
Speaker 6: I saw at least four.
Speaker 9: Nine ers.
Speaker 4: Tackles for the losses.
Speaker 6: Not including the sacks of course, right, yeah, nine ooh.
Speaker 4: Nine, No, that was quarterback hits six tackles for losses for sacks, so they weren't clearing the line of scrimmate.
Speaker 7: And this is what I there's certain things that we talked about making adjustments. You know, leave you said last week, Bill, if you make the adjustments at halftime, it's too late. Well, we never made the adjustment on stopping the run. First of all, that same running play that kept parcels from penetrating from the outside. But what you also had was they're running the same freaking zone routes. So I think we should have just played, which is tough when you can't stop the run. Play more man to man and you know, I mean, Purdy's a good quarterback, but you allow him to be a good quarterback if you cover those deep incuts with man to man position. To me, I don't like our technique of funneling the wide receivers inside because they don't just go to the safety. They go all the way across the field, so you're always in a trail position. So you have Gilmour, who's a they have good cornerback, but he's caught in a trail position at all times, and that's what they do. They like you said, bring the line up because McCaffrey's running the ball or whoever. The other running back that they had is web mation, so you're, of course they're going to go with deep in cuts behind where the linebacker is supposed to be. Van Derres still almost there, but almost didn't get it done when you got the defensive back trailing the wide receiver and they ran that route at least four or five times that game with success.
Speaker 4: It worked. Yeah, it works with success.
Speaker 9: It was repetitive and it worked.
Speaker 4: So if you had listened to Jerry today, okay, without saying it, he basically said he cleared the quarterback by the way, Steven New York, right, we can win with Dak.
Speaker 5: Preslet we want to exact quote, go ahead, Jerry and the fan this morning. I completely believe we have the quarterback that can take us where we want to go. Dak Prescott is a quarterback that can get us to the super Bowl, and that's the way that's going to be.
Speaker 4: But the majority of the questquestions to him had to do with scheme, and Jerry basically said, I'm not worried about the personnel if we have to play this game again, we can adjust our approach that we used. And he was talking offensively and defensively. Now, the words never came out of his mouth, but he basically said, we have the coaching staff and the personnel to make the adjustments. So basically what he was saying is he thought their approach both ways did not match what San Francisco was trying to do. Now, he didn't say, wow, we got out coached, but to.
Speaker 6: Me, he's just going to say that means we got out coach.
Speaker 4: But to me, that's what it meant, right, or that's what he was somewhat suggesting that we can make changes alterations into what we were doing.
Speaker 7: I mean, you could say you got our coach, but we always know the game is won in.
Speaker 4: The trenches, and well, maybe what you were asking guys to do didn't fit into what San Francisco was doing.
Speaker 7: I always go back to Tom Landry, going back to we used to go on thirty one safety zone. When they're running the ball and they're going to flow strong, we immediately go to inside coverage.
Speaker 6: Screw the out routes, screw the curl routes. We go to inside coverage. Because that's what.
Speaker 7: Can beat you, getting beat deep and getting beat deep inside. And that's what happened to us all game long. That's why we never really cared about an out route. An out route is not gonna make you lose a game. It's those deep in cuts that's the ones that get you. And of course the deep routes that's the ones that help you, that allow you to lose a game. Billy Waddie style against the Los Angeles Rams, I believe, nineteen eighty.
Speaker 4: And if you think about it, and just off the top of my head, I don't remember for them catching a bunch of out routes.
Speaker 6: Everything I saw one.
Speaker 4: One because everything seemed to funnel up the mid, including the running place.
Speaker 6: Everything was inside.
Speaker 4: They rarely, they rarely attacked the edges. It was up the middle.
Speaker 7: Number fifteen, I forget his name, but he caught one. Yeah, he caught the one out over there. You know, he got twelve yards. And I tell when I do my little coaching, I tell them all the time, a ten yard well is not going to beat you. Yeah, what beat you was the twenty five yard or twenty yard incut and the deep pass. That's what beats you otherwise you can strap it up and play the next down.
Speaker 4: Jennings had one catch nineteen yards.
Speaker 6: So that was a nineteen yard comeback that he had.
Speaker 4: And if you think about the passes that I you caught, they were over the middle, as I remember, right, all of them. And then the next leading catch was four from ju Sick, Juic sick, I get it. No J in there the Jay.
Speaker 5: It's a use check like a Yo used check.
Speaker 4: I don't have an easy name to renounced, like Spagnola. Right, Kittles, well, he's a Harvard guy. Kittle has three catches the tight end right, Samuel three catches, McCaffrey two, and then yeah, it was everything kind of in the middle. Mason Bell had none. Mason had none, and then McLeod had one. So but they were completing the passes right.
Speaker 5: For touchdowns to Kittles three, he's only three catches.
Speaker 4: He had twenty six targets and he completed sixteen of them, sixteen for twenty six, only one hundred and sixty one yards. But they were damaging this one hundred and sixty one.
Speaker 6: Right, they've changed the field position.
Speaker 4: Oh wait, that wasn't him, Sorry, that was Books eighteen for twenty five. Sorry, I'm going to say that's two fifty three, and it was, and it was damaging, by the way, two fifty three. Could you live with two fifty three?
Speaker 5: I can't remember if I said this yesterday. I had it up. First down, Okay, first downs. The forty nine ers had two hundred and fifty three yards on thirty three first down plays, seven point seven yards of play. The Cowboys on first down had thirty nine yards on twenty first down plays one point nine yards established it.
Speaker 4: So they're getting in a lot of thirty shorts, right.
Speaker 5: Everyone talks about how well you do on third down. Well, in this particular game, how well you did on first down.
Speaker 7: Matt dominated that first great defense. First down is extremely.
Speaker 4: Importantession, and a lot they never got the third. They only had eleven third down plays out of sixty seven. So yeah, so a lot of it was they'd already scored, they already scored, or they had already picked up the first down because they had twenty five first downs.
Speaker 7: The one that really hurt the most, and it was just so glaring when we finally got a break. I think it was a personal file or something. And he still comes back and hits the same route over the middle again.
Speaker 4: Oh that was after my play. Yeah, yeah, my play.
Speaker 7: And it just you know that to me, just let it let me know we weren't calling the right plays because now you still have your cornerbacks sitting outside and I Yuka Whoever's still running that deep end cut for twenty twenty plus yards and they still got a first down.
Speaker 4: So here's what happened. After the penalty on Donovan Wilson. They get McCaffrey for minus two second and twelve short past the McCaffrey nineteen yards right, and then Mason up the middle eight yards. So now you're second and two right, Well, okay, what happens, Well, they get a four yard carry by Mason and then Purdy to Samuel nine yards and then the McCaffrey.
Speaker 7: I think we had them on a holding call to something before the play I'm talking about. It was a holding call after they had made a big play, brought them back, and then they came back and made another big play the same way.
Speaker 5: That's what dan quinn was talking about, Like on the McCaffrey. Yeah, it statistically it looks like you held him in check. Nineteen carries for fifty one yards. But for him down in distance is so important on as you're defending an offense because and for an offense to be able to either throw it or run it, and the defense doesn't know which way they're going to go, and that opens up passing lanes because you think they might run it. And it was so when McCaffrey turns a two yard gain into a four yard gain on first down through his ability yell, he only got four yards. Now you're second and six rather than second and eight. It makes a big difference, tell you.
Speaker 7: And he was able to somehow split There were times when he came up against more than one defender and still able to make one miss and make the most out of that that play instead of like getting a three year ad all of a sudden, he's gotten six yards. That's right, all right? We continue with more mix shots.
Speaker 6: More moving on, more moving on.
Speaker 8: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 12: Cowboys Football and Miller Lite. What a pairing can cracks a kickoff tailgates going way past postgame Sunday night overtimes, followed by Monday Morning Swacker brisky in the Smoker, Miller Light and the Kuk America's team playing America's greatest sport. Miller Lte the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys Football taste like Miller Time, Celebrate Responsibly, twenty twenty three, Miliberum Company, Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 10: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and.
Speaker 11: They snapped the fresh guy who looks right, it's not there. He escaped flapped. He'll look for a French Styn.
Speaker 10: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With Blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 11: Press Scott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle and he scores.
Speaker 10: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, they've got you covered.
Speaker 6: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 10: Get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 2: You know that sound anywhere. It's the crisp crunch, that first nacho chip with its perfect cheese to sour cream ratio, sitting atop a layer of delicious beer. It's a sip away from perfection. That's what we're looking for at a delicious, refreshing pepsi, and we've achieved absolute nacho nirvana because while you can pile those nachos high with every spicy, cheesy, savory topping, there's no topping of cool PEPSI. Finish nachos better with pepsi.
Speaker 5: That's what I like.
Speaker 4: Tom shuts.
Speaker 9: Dallas Cowboys Game Time powered by Lenovo, the official gaming platform and community of the Dallas Cowboys. Sign up now to compete in Madden twenty four for a chance to win two tickets and a VIP experience to a twenty twenty three Dallas Cowboys home game. Qualifiers begin on October sixth and run through the thirteenth. Learn more and register at Dallascowboys game time dot Com.
Speaker 5: You know tomorrow I could be coming in here smelling a little bit like champagne.
Speaker 4: Hmmm, going are you tonight?
Speaker 9: Are you going on the game in different Rangers.
Speaker 5: If the Rangers beat the Orioles tonight, it'll be a clubhouse celebration, Champagne being sprayed all over the place, including on us reporters in the in the clubhouse.
Speaker 4: And so you're bringing a raincoat, yeah, I've got.
Speaker 6: In fact, he's bringing the cup, bringing a cup.
Speaker 5: This shows you how long I've had my truck and how long it's been since I've cleaned.
Speaker 4: Out my truck.
Speaker 5: I have in one of the little back pockets in the back on the door. In the back seat of the truck, I've got a poncho. That's that I bought when the Rangers were playing in the playoffs in twenty sixteen, and I just kept it back there. I said, okay during that playoff series that, okay, with they win, I may have to go in the clubhouse.
Speaker 10: Whatever.
Speaker 5: So I bought like three ponchos, and so one of them, at least one I've.
Speaker 4: Got back there.
Speaker 5: It's still been there for seven years. So I'll be taking it in.
Speaker 9: You don't have to wear it, and you have to wear it.
Speaker 7: No, No, that's not very professional. You know you shouldn't you wear the ponzo and you're gonna be interviewing.
Speaker 4: You know what you gotta have the first time came?
Speaker 6: Well, how about that?
Speaker 5: The first time the Rangers ever won a division championship was nineteen ninety six, and I was the around the ballpark reporter on the Rangers television network, and so it was my assignment. And back then it was a huge deal because the Rangers had never won anything and they'd gone It was their twenty fifth season here and so they finally win and the game didn't get over till like midnight, and so I did on the Rangers network. I did all the interviews, and I got. I was wearing a suit and with no protection, no nothing whatever, and so I was just drenched in champagne and driving home at two o'clock in the morning. If I got, if I had got, if I got on the way home, there's no way I'm talking about.
Speaker 4: Buddy, what do you been doing?
Speaker 6: I promise.
Speaker 5: So without drinking and drop, I was going straight to the pokey.
Speaker 4: Do I need to get go home and get you my ski goggles.
Speaker 6: That's what he would need.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you need to get that's what you need. That's more than anything, because they all wear goggles.
Speaker 5: Yes, I got the I got the little swim goggles.
Speaker 6: That's okay.
Speaker 4: As long as though I started, I look forward to watching later.
Speaker 5: I started swimming this summer, and and uh for the hip, well, I just just it's a really good extra. SoSE and I was noticing my eyes were because of chlorine or whatever, and so I went and bought some goggles.
Speaker 6: And my wife was getting on me.
Speaker 5: Why do you have goggles? You're not a swimmer?
Speaker 4: From now you are, so now those goggles are going to come in. I was curious about buying a single ticket for the game tonight. There's very very few. Some of them are obstructed views. There was one down the line, maybe in the outfield. It was one hundred and fifty dollars. Would you do it?
Speaker 6: Yeah, yes, I'm.
Speaker 5: Gonna look at Evaldi on the mountain night. Yeah, going for the kill tonight. And and the other thing that's great about that ballpark is just as long as you get in, there's plenty of areas there.
Speaker 6: It's a beautiful place to watch it, and it's I love it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you got so you can just stand there, Well I could stand there and see over people.
Speaker 4: But just slip that one through.
Speaker 6: You know what.
Speaker 4: We're gonna bring it back to the Cowboys. So you're saying that if I don't have a press pass, I shouldn't buy one of those tickets in the end zone for the Cowboys to stand up.
Speaker 5: Don't do that unless you're gonna you have to.
Speaker 6: You have to them.
Speaker 4: I'll beat them. Yeah, r early entrant.
Speaker 5: That's seeing the mad rush.
Speaker 4: Hey, I got connections right exactly.
Speaker 5: You've seen the mad rush when.
Speaker 4: They're open the doors.
Speaker 6: Well, well you saw him in San Francisco. He was dodging it.
Speaker 4: I beat those people. And the other thing I can do is get up to the second level and get in the front, get up them steps.
Speaker 6: There you go. I gotta say though, I'm still a Dak man.
Speaker 7: You know, I have been following the x UH formerly known as Twitter, and there are players former players out there that really hate Dak Prescott and they don't even.
Speaker 5: Know that, and they have roles on Network TV.
Speaker 7: Well they've got another guy, do I tell you whatever his name was? Yeah, he was what's going on with him? I mean he's he says Dak is trash or something like. Wow, things get so personal these days when it comes to Dak Prescott. I just don't understand why he is there such a inical outlook when it comes to not just the way he plays, but just him as a person. There's there's something personal about what they feel about him that I don't understand.
Speaker 4: And so he waits for the Cowboys number one. I get that, Yeah, that's the quarterback.
Speaker 7: I mean, why would you hate a man like that who's done so much for the society and and you know, had the kind of career that he's had. Very unusual situation here. I mean, I get some people are making money off of it. Uh you got Smith and Shannon and those guys.
Speaker 4: But jealousy, jealousy, man.
Speaker 7: They're making enough money off of it. They're making a whole lot of money off of it. But I see Dak as being able to come back and do well. I and we talked about it. Well, they talked about it when it came to his first couple of games. The timing has to be there for that offense period, not just for Dak, but being higher offense, the offensive line has to protect better so that his timing can be there so he can go through his progressions even when he's under some somewhat a lot of a bit of pressure. Those are the kind of things that every quarterback needs. You've got to have your offense or your offensive line, they have to be there so that he can go through his progressions with comfort as opposed to being under such stress.
Speaker 9: And Jerry even said it today as you mentioned, Bill, but he also said, make no mistake about it, we have the quarterback that can get us there. So if Jerry thinks, everyone else here thinks, I think everyone needs to put a little bit more faith into what we have gotten into Monday night, for.
Speaker 7: Sure, and they need to understand that there are certain changes they have to make every game. You know, you can't just go this is what we do. Well, yeah, this is what we do, but there are certain adjustments that they're kinda have to be made. Against certain teams such as the forty nine ers, you can't just go into that game status quo. It's just not the way you do it against a team like that. You may be able to do that against the NFC East team or maybe even.
Speaker 6: The Los Angeles Chargers.
Speaker 7: But there are certain teams you can't do that against and you will get exposed.
Speaker 4: And that's what happened to know this because I didn't realize that. Somebody said, did you Chargers win this weekend? I said, I don't remember. They had a boy So now they got a lot of what they want to do is an extra day. So and Kellen.
Speaker 6: Moore, and Kellen Moore has his whole thing.
Speaker 4: Which, by the way, I think in the new stats that just came out, if I could do this real quick and find them before we got to go.
Speaker 6: Oh, we already got it.
Speaker 4: Their offense is ranked number five, their defense is ranked thirty first, and they are thirty second against the pass.
Speaker 6: So there you go.
Speaker 5: And they're two and two on the season, and.
Speaker 4: They're two and two. Still two and two?
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 5: That does it for a Moving on Tuesday edition of mix Shots. We are definitely moving on tomorrow as we celebrate a Division Series win and teammateted to the America League champion.
Speaker 4: Air messed up when he's got to go on the air.
Speaker 6: Go Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club