Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Final Hour in this Thursday. You have to have your brackets in by now if you want to be in the Bracket Challenge at Foxsports Radio dot Com. A lot of luminaries, a lot of celebrities are involved. Fritzie had a couple of no's which were surprising to Fritzie. Fritzi's always surprised when somebody says no to him. I would figure you'd be used to that. Your wife says that on a daily basis. Wow.
Speaker 3: True, though I can't argue that.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: But is it rude when I say what's your problem?
Speaker 5: When they say I'm not gonna be able to do that or I'm not really a bracket kind of guy or gal, and then I say, what's your problem?
Speaker 3: It just takes it for a minute.
Speaker 2: Okay, who bothered you by saying no?
Speaker 3: I was surprised Steve Levy wouldn't do it. And I love Steve.
Speaker 5: I know him back from the beginning of early nineties at f AN. I thought for sure he'd do one. But he was one of those I'm not a bracket guy, but thanks for asking.
Speaker 3: Very polite.
Speaker 2: He's a hockey guy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but he's sports at a anchor. He knows enough about all sports. Is not just a hockey guy, and a lot of we all just guess anyway, you don't have. None of us are experts in college basketball, so it doesn't matter what sport you're focused.
Speaker 3: On in life.
Speaker 2: Why did Nick write pass soft?
Speaker 3: I don't think he responded at all.
Speaker 5: So some of them, some of the ones that didn't send one either didn't respond at all. A few of them said, I just said it's not my thing, or if I have time, I'll see what I can do.
Speaker 6: Are we getting to where Nick Wright only responds to you?
Speaker 7: Dan?
Speaker 8: Hm?
Speaker 6: He might be doing that move now. You guys are like that close that he's like. I don't really go through Todd. If Dan asked me, I.
Speaker 3: Didn't give him a watch or anything. I didn't take Hi out to dinner.
Speaker 2: So maybe Yeah, Alex Ovechkin is in. Adam Sandler's in again. No for Will Ferrell, what happened.
Speaker 3: I think Chrissy was busy or something like that.
Speaker 2: Busy.
Speaker 5: I got another one that was surprising, But there must be a reason why he just couldn't get it.
Speaker 2: Takes five minutes. You're better than that, Brian Cranston's back in again, Josh Dumel, Dreamy Josh Dumel, Jim Parsons, Rebecca Lowe, from NBC's coverage of the Premier League, Joey Vado, George Bretts involved no response from Jennifer Lawrence.
Speaker 3: That hurt a lot.
Speaker 5: I didn't want to bring that one up, but thought I'll get at least a polite no thank you, because if we've reached out to some big time movie stars and the publicist will get around to saying, you know, thanks for thinking of him or her, but that's not their thing, but their you know, filming in Europe somewhere, and they just can't get it done.
Speaker 2: Rob Low, no with Rob Low, Paul Rudd Snoop Dogg, ice Cube. They all said no to you.
Speaker 8: J J.
Speaker 2: Watt said no. Maybe if Paulie had reached out then he would have said, sure, I will for you again.
Speaker 5: A lot of them were, you know, no response as opposed to I don't want to do it or I can't be bothered.
Speaker 2: Uh. Carissa Thompson, not even a response.
Speaker 3: Hurt feelings.
Speaker 2: They're gone on. Saquon Barkley, all the things. All we've done for Saquon Barkley and he can't fill out a bracket. Wow, Nick Wright, Don maddingly Drew Breese.
Speaker 3: This is where we have to shame everybody that we're invited in our participating.
Speaker 2: That's what happens, That's what we're doing right now, Todd, I know Bill Belichick. Bill Belichick didn't even respond.
Speaker 5: We saw something the other day on the X on the Twitter whatever the kids are calling it these days, saying, hey, you know any cool bracket challenges I can get into? And we reached out to North Carolina Sports Information. They said they'd run.
Speaker 3: It by him, but did not get a chill.
Speaker 2: Maybe he's busy on the beach. Maybe he's doing whatever he was doing on the beach with his girlfriend. Maybe she could have filled out a bracket. Yeah, we should have asked. His partner has to go through, right, Why didn't you ask her?
Speaker 3: How's mistake? Everything goes through.
Speaker 2: Our She has to be surprised you wouldn't go through the woman to get to the man.
Speaker 3: Hearepoint, all right.
Speaker 2: I don't see any local news anchors, nobody from NBC News. There's usually a reporter in there, maybe a weather forecaster.
Speaker 5: Shout out Alssa, Ray Tagli and Hard the Frank Rachel, Frank Xer Fox just blew it.
Speaker 4: I don't even know her name.
Speaker 8: You blew it?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I watch a lot of Fox sixty one Connecticut.
Speaker 2: Dang, yeah, you do watch. I don't think you listen, but you do watch.
Speaker 3: I know I have no idea what the news is or what weather's coming.
Speaker 2: But uh, how often do you hear back from these people you reach out to? Have you heard back from these women?
Speaker 3: It's really hit or miss. It's really a coin flip. But you make the effort and see what happens.
Speaker 2: Alpine skiing legend Lindsay Vaughn goes to Sun Valley, Idaho the Steefel Sun Valley Finals Saturday and Sunday one East And have you reached out to Lindsay Vaughn? Did you read it? Reach out to Lindsay.
Speaker 5: We did invite Linda von She wasn't able to join us, but maybe at at a later date.
Speaker 3: But we did ask her at.
Speaker 2: A later date like this, like a later date like around the Sweet sixteen. She's going to join us in philadel Bruh somewhere.
Speaker 3: Between the Sweet six and the Elite eight.
Speaker 5: I thought you meant in general, you meant for the specific for the bracketchise where you're not invited for the Bank of Challenge.
Speaker 3: We invited to be a guest on the show.
Speaker 2: All right, final hour of the program coming up. The Celtics have been sold for over six billion dollars. I don't know what that means for the Celtics other than somebody had that kind of money and decided to buy the Celtics. I knew that they were up for sale, at least a portion or up was up for sale. But the Boston Celtics for over six billion dollars? Is that the highest price for a North American team? Six? Now I'm not talking about the value, but what somebody paid for a a franchise, because it felt like the Washington Commanders were tops on that list. But they blew by that with because that was around four and a half billion maybe, and the Celtics going for a little over six billion dollars.
Speaker 9: Yes, the Washington Commanders recently went for just a tick over six billion. So this supposedly beats that. The prices have really drastically gone up in the past fifteen years. For example, the Dodgers in twenty twelve were two billion, which seems like a drastic bargain.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah wow, yeah, yeah, Well they certainly put the money back into that franchise, that's for sure, all right. Eight seven seven three DP show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at DP show. Got basketball coming up later on today and tonight. Xavier advances. They were down thirteen. They advanced. Mount Saint Mary's beats American Houston, Auburn, Tennessee. Saint John's among the teams that will be in action later on today. And today I was watching Luka Doncic and the Lakers. They beat the Nuggets. The Nuggets sat out Jamal Murray and the Joker. Luca had twenty one of his thirty one in the first quarter. Lakers had forty six in the first quarter. Paulie brought this up a while ago when Lebron James got hurt, and he said, I think this is a good thing because this will allow Lebron to be able to sit out. It's a good thing that he'll be able to rest. Now you can hopefully hold on to your playoff spot or not fall too far down or get into the play in situation. Then all of a sudden. A couple analysts said yesterday that you know, this could be a good thing for the Lakers because Lebron will be resting. You have players who are sitting down now, you have jokers been sitting out. Jamal Murray's been sitting out the Thunder. I think sat out just about every one of their starters in a game last night or the day before. But you're going to get this load management where I don't think you're going to raise suspicion with the NBA where the Lakers are going to get fined that you know, Lebron hasn't been back, but this could be great. This could be something that he gets rested healthy. Err And you just hope that this doesn't come back once you get to the playoffs. But the Lakers, you know it's about seating. But if you're the Lakers, can you stay in the top four, I'd say, you know that's your sweet spot here. Yes, Marvin Well.
Speaker 4: They're only saying that now about Lebron because they won three straight games. But when they lost the previous three, I.
Speaker 2: Was like, yeah, he better get back.
Speaker 4: You better get back sooner than later. But it seems easier when you lose when you went through straight games.
Speaker 2: But also what this does it allows other players like Austin Reeves Dalton Connect. Like now you're saying you take on more of a load that that's what you want, because when you get into the postseason, you may be relying on them to be your third score, your second score, and to be able to get those You know, all you want to do is be able to show get me the ball. Austin Reeves shows that he can get thirty points, Dalton Connect can get twenty points. That's what you want. You want the threat of that guy. If all else fails, or somebody gets injured, somebody gets in foul trouble, they can help you. They can step up. Great teams have that player or players who when they get a chance, they step like Derek White. You give him an opportunity. He's not the first option or the second option, but he can step up in a big way.
Speaker 4: Yes, Mark, every single playoffs, there's got to be a guy where it's like Bruce Brown, where do you go to college? You gotta have a guy like that that has a big game for in the Western Conference Finals that you never heard of until Game four. The Western Conference finals.
Speaker 2: Gabe Vincent, you know where you're saying, who is this guy? You know the Spurs always had that, They're always it felt like there was a guy who was going to be able to come in and give you some some minutes there. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America. The official trading cards of the program and the bracket challenge is on Fox Sports Radio dot com. We talked a lot about North Carolina. Do they deserve to be in? I think you got to look at the name on the front of the jersey. I do think that factor's in. I think it factors in in this sport, this time of the year, and probably played a little bit of a role in this. I have a source, an NC DOUBLEA source not with the NC double A who sent a note to me this morning. I have no dog in the fight, but North Carolina's inclusion in this year's field is, by a large margin, the most inappropriate single decision in decades of the selection process. He goes on to say that yes, North Carolina can compete in the tournament, but that has nothing to do with the committee. The committee has to look at what North Carolina has done, not what they can do. He goes on to say, Tuesday night's result doesn't demonstrate North Carolina should have been included in any way. Of course they can compete, perhaps get on a role. Goes on to say, there's no logical base which North Carolina should be in this year's field. My source goes on to say, on the basis of the criteria and the process, North Carolina it should not have been in the field. And the committee's confusing messages and failure to adhere to the plan and process that it crafts and agrees to follow will set scheduling in college basketball and how schools respond back several years. So that's a powerful statement here that it's the most inappropriate single decision in decades of the selection process. So that's a source that I have with college athletics. But North Carolina may go on a role. Jim Beheim yesterday loves North Carolina. It's kind of a dark orse sleeper team. I get it. And it's not to say they don't have talent. And yes, losing two of your last three games to Duke, and they lost their other game was to Clemson, a team in the tournament. But if they got blown out by Duke, by twenty one. I don't think they get in the tournament. They came back and they had a chain still win, that's it. If they get blown out, there'd be no way you could put them in the tournament. Do I think that the head of the committee, who is the athletic director at North Carolina was playing favorites here. Well, I'm sure he wants to get his school in. But just because he got a one hundred thousand dollars bonus for North Carolina getting in, I don't think you risk your reputation, your job to go, Hey, I'd love to get one hundred thousand dollars, We'll get North Carolina in. I mean, you don't want to take away the credibility of the committee that you oversee. I just I don't think the committee stayed with what their process was. So but I couldn't care less If Carolina is in, great, If they're not in, I couldn't care less.
Speaker 9: Yes, point, I have a theory about this with the College Basketball Playoffs, the NCATE Tournament committee that just happened with North Carolina and going back to remember last year, last year, last year with Flora stake Itt and Hose and the college Football Playoff Committee. I think these committees think, you know what, if we do this, we're gonna get ripped for a couple of days. We're gonna get lit up for a couple of days and critique. But it provides content, even argument content, And no one in that room is getting rid of the head of the nca Basketball Committee or the College FOOTBA Committe because they're all in it together. You know, they're all getting paid, they're going on trips, they're all doing these things. And if they themselves, we'll take the heat for a few days. But putting UNC in as opposed to putting in a more deserving team, that doesn't help anybody in this room and all our friends who got us here.
Speaker 2: I would be shocked if that was their logic. Oh, I'd be shocked.
Speaker 9: But they know going into that room that UNC was not worthy based off resume to make it, and they put them in any way, And so I think their logic is, you know what, batton down the hatches.
Speaker 2: We're doing this. I don't know how many people are going, Oh, I gotta watch North Carolina if this was the college football playoffs, I understand that where you go, Hey, we got Florida State or Notre Dame, and you will lean towards Notre Dame because it's Notre Dame and they're going to be give you a bigger rate. This is at the bottom. This is at the bottom of the barrel of teams getting in. I don't think you want to risk anything where you gotta get How do we get Carolina in? I don't know. We come up with some metrics here, we disavowant a knowledge of these other metrics. I just I can't imagine. I would love to have a reporter who's in there to listen to this and help us understand what goes on.
Speaker 4: Yes, Marvin, but isn't that a tradition every year that somebody's gonna complain that they didn't get to the tournament because there's about seven eight other teams that have basically the same resume. You guys all got thirteen fourteen lawsuits, So it's the same thing every year anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Indiana, Ohio State, they can have an argument here, yeah, seton. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean it's a TV show, right, and North Carolina is a brand, so you're gonna put in your strongest brands.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's that. I get that you might factor that in. It just can't be the we have to somehow get if it was Duke, that's different. There's only a couple of schools where you go teams are you know, people are going to watch those teams play, either to watch them win or watch them lose. Carolina's not polarizing.
Speaker 4: Yes, is North Carolina not on that list of teams. They're not up there with the UCLA's, the Kentucky's, the Dukes.
Speaker 2: Well, they are, they have been.
Speaker 4: They looked at it.
Speaker 2: Indiana, Indiana was up there too. I mean they become a football school. But do you go out of your way to put North Carolina in? Out of your way?
Speaker 4: No, okay, it's not like they went over a team that went twenty three and nine.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think anybody got jobbed here. I don't think North Carolina deserve to be in. But if you put him in, Okay, if you put Indiana in, if you're not firing Indiana's head coach, does he get in? Do they get in because Mike Woodson got fired?
Speaker 4: Don't know?
Speaker 2: Now, Ohio State, Boise State, there are other schools that can make an argument. But I mean Ohio State, Indiana aren't the blue blood that Carolina is. Indiana used to be. Ohio State has been sporadic there, But I am I would be shocked if the committee would be like, let's somehow get Carolina in. I would poll question for the final hour of the program is going to be watched. Seaton o' connor is going to be hot. Let me see what I just put up there. We had this one from Paul. If you had the funds, you would buy a basketball team, baseball team, football team, hockey team. I threw in a soccer team because that's what I do. Of course you do. Yeah, I'm taking I'm going to take soccer off of it because it feels like, aren't they worth more money? Some of these are their soccer teams worth more than the Cowboys.
Speaker 9: It's a similar neighborhood like else I think was five point three billion when they sold, so very similar neighborhood to NBA and NFL team.
Speaker 6: But I don't know if it necessarily like like I would even buy a cheap soccer team, like well cheap, you know, relatively whatever I would. I was taking it more as what sport would you like to own a team? In not what team are you going to make the most money off of?
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, I would do NFL. It still feels like when you walk into a room and your owner of We tend to know the owners of NFL teams a little bit more than we do in other sports.
Speaker 9: Yeah, pull, I think I go Major League Baseball. I'd like to spend more time outside eighty plus home games.
Speaker 2: No, it's way too many games to go to. But you have to go to all these games? Do you have to go to all those games?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well it helps, But like football, all right, I got seventeen games to go to. I'm pretty good with that.
Speaker 9: But in football, I think as an owner, I don't know if you could sit in a seat outside with the civilians, I don't. I have never seen a own to do so.
Speaker 2: I'd rather sit in a suite. But they do have those suites that have the indoor outdoor. That's the least of my worries. Baseball. Can you imagine being the Oakland A's owner and going to eighty one of those games and you're just going, oh, this is death. Like if you're the Yankees of the Dodgers ownership, I mean you're like, yeah, I'm gonna sit right there behind a home plate. This is great, but I think I'd rather own an NFL team.
Speaker 5: Yes, Todd, I fact, the GM has to be there as much as possible. But the owner can we win at that? He's out in his yacht, he's paying all the bills. Is you need to be seen as much as possible, especially for a season that's got eighty one home games.
Speaker 2: Possibly, if you're an NFL owner, you're there.
Speaker 3: That's not a well, you have no excuse because there's hardly any games.
Speaker 2: All you have to do is show up for the home games and then show up for a playoff game. All right, we'll talk some more basketball. More phone calls coming up, take a break back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 11: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well, other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too, Take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino Rich wherever you get your podcast, and of course on social media.
Speaker 2: That's Cavino and Rich. Boston Celtics sold for just over six billion dollars if you go back to the last time they were purchased two thousand and two, three hundred and sixty million dollars. That's a nice return on your investment. Nice return on your investment. All right, we'll get to more phone calls coming up. He's one of the great basketball minds that I know. He is Dan Dickow who joins us on the program. Oh, No, it's Dan. Oh, it's Dockage. Oh. Dan Dockage a former college coach. He played for Bob Knight in Indiana. His podcast on OutKick is don't have Me, Sorry, Dan, I got confused on who we were having.
Speaker 8: On dick Out Dreams of having my hair, Dreams of It.
Speaker 2: Good to have you on your reaction to the committee putting North Carolina in the tournament? How egregious is this? Or is it to you?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 10: I think it was ridiculous, And I think I like Bubba Cunningham. I've known him since he was at Ball State. No, I was in Bowling Green, and I've always thought twelve of it. But you can't have in your contract, you know. Some say you got one hundred and four thousand, some say you got sixty seven. I don't care. You can't have that in your contract. A hint of impropriety is ridiculous. And the other thing is, you know, Dan, they put all these metrics in. Okay, that's fine, And you know, I know mathematicians. I got three friends that are mathematicians math teachers, and they're like, you can make math go anyway.
Speaker 8: You won. I didn't think Carolina.
Speaker 10: Should be in for the simple reason who did they be over the course of a season. I don't think Indiana should have been in the same reason. But I do think that it has to get straightened out where guys have bonuses for their schools to be in the tournament.
Speaker 8: I think that's just wrong.
Speaker 10: It reeks of well, oh, frankly, it it's nefarious.
Speaker 8: Don't tell me you weren't in the room. Don't. Don't treat us like children.
Speaker 10: You were talking to them at dinner, you would have drinks whatever at the coffee shop.
Speaker 8: Don't don't.
Speaker 10: Don't treat us like children. We know how this works. And I just think you know, whether you want to put him in or not.
Speaker 8: Great. You know, they played wonderful. R. J.
Speaker 10: Davis made threes, but you know, you should never have a bonus for being the head of a chair getting your team, and that's just that's bad business.
Speaker 2: But they knew that there was going to be blowback, right, you can't be in that committee and go, boy, how's this going to look? But then you just say maybe we just survived the first couple of days.
Speaker 10: That Dan, that's exactly we all know, right. You know I always said this when I was in ESPN. Dan Brackett was going to come out, Billis was going to complain about the CD, Dick Fettel was going to complain that the little guy didn't get in right, and that'll last for twenty four forty eight hours.
Speaker 8: And then we moved along and.
Speaker 10: We had maybe the greatest game of the tournament, the first game with Alabama's. But that's how you gotta be. You're in the public. You know, things come, they go, they blow over, and you move it along in the game start and it's what's Bill to say? It's idiot proof? And oh is that true? It's just a great tournament every year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you start to look at this and then Jim Beheim last year said on our show they should expand it to ninety six teams, Like, how many is too many?
Speaker 10: Dan, Dan, I've always said this, and tell me if you think this is wrong, but I've always said, everybody is in the NCAA tournament like you have a conference tournament, you win, you stay in. Like I get it, CBS or whomever. They do their thing, and great, but everybody's already in. I have no I don't care expand it. Dan, I'm at an age where I love the games, I love the sport. Give me morees. Fine, but I've said, I've said this, everybody's in a tournament, and I think Vegas should determine the bracket. Take Vegas, take the human air out of it, give your parameters, give your policies, give it all of those guys in the desert, as Brent would say, and let's figure this out. Let them do it unbiased. And then we got a bracket and we moved along. Those are the two things I've always said. Everyone's already in the tournament. You got a conference tournament, you got a chance, don't lose, and you keep playing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've been saying the last couple of years, let's just take it out of a committee. Let's do it with the people who it's all about the bottom line, all the money that's made with march madness. Let Vegas figure this out. I did think of you yesterday. We were talking about how Georgetown had to fire Patrick Ewing, Saint John's had to fire Chris mallin Houston, fired Clyde Drexler. Steve Alford has never been offered the Indiana John. Is that correct? And if so, why not.
Speaker 8: There's a weird thing.
Speaker 10: Quinn Buckner this time is ahead of the board of Trustees and he's got some weird and this is true. I mean, nobody had missed this, but I know this Night told me this. He's got some daddy thing with Knight and Alford. It's a really weird thing. Dan, and the previous guy, the ad uh and Buckner's ahead of the board of Trustees. The previous guy, Rick green Span the Electric didn't like Alford. He was in Illinois state. They had some kind of hassle. Dan, I've never understood it.
Speaker 2: I've said it expand, so Quinn Buckner's daddy issue with Bob Knight and therefore doesn't want Steve Alford.
Speaker 10: I've never been able and I've asked Steve, and that's all I've ever You know, it's just a weird thing where Buckner's jealous of the relationship or and you know, nobody will admit it, but I've heard this for so many years.
Speaker 8: And Buckner again he's ahead.
Speaker 10: Look, whether it's true or not, I bet you know I always say gun to head, gun to head.
Speaker 8: I think it's true as hell.
Speaker 10: Buckner and Woodson were boys when Knight was first in Indiana.
Speaker 8: He kind of legally cheated.
Speaker 10: He got Woody and I think Buckner, I know Scott May involved with a guy named Steve Ferguson, one of the richest guys. They bought all the hotel or they bought all the apartments in Bloomington.
Speaker 8: Alfred wasn't a part of that.
Speaker 10: It's just a it's a ridiculous, idiotic, stupid, desperate housewives kind of a program that hopefully now we got a decent dude in there that can coach some ball. West Virginia fans, you can suck it. I love that you're mad. Go away, Indiana got a good dude, Let's go.
Speaker 2: He's Dan Dakiche, host of Don't At Me podcast on OutKick. He played for Bob Knight in Indiana. You coached with him. Was there any joy when you played for Bob Knight?
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 10: I always say it was fun, and the fun was when you got his approval. The fun was how big the program was, how revered you were. But you know, Dan Fife and I always talk about this as white dudes that aren't very fast. Everybody thinks they're better than you, Like everybody that was third team All conference in their little conference, you know, couldn't wait to play in the hyper. But playing basketball in Indiana, I don't know if it was fun.
Speaker 8: I don't know. Is that the same as joy?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 10: I had a blast. I liked when he got crazy. I loved watching his eyebrows grow. Randy Whitman told me that he'll yell, his eyebrows will grow.
Speaker 8: But I loved everything about it. I love the place. Yeah, no, it was.
Speaker 2: I will tell you to scare you. Did night?
Speaker 8: Scare you scare me? No, not at all. Make you question.
Speaker 10: Everything about yourself? Yes, like could you play? Like could you think? Like?
Speaker 8: He would ask me Dan.
Speaker 10: He would go, hey, Doccas, you're either too dumb to understand this or you don't listen to me. And I'm like, man, hey, coach, I listened to every word you said. I'm just stupid, like just a moron coach, you know. But no, he made you question if you were working hard enough. He made you question, and you know I can't. He's like my dad. My dad was the principal in Gary, Indiana High School principal. He was he was like my dad, and I loved it.
Speaker 2: Is Rick Pattino a feel good story?
Speaker 10: I think it's a yeah. I like redemption. I like the fact that Rick Patino humbled himself. He went to Greece. You know, it's funny. I was talking to some coaches about him going to Greece and winning that league. Dan, that league is a big time, big time lead. He won that thing twice, and I remember thinking, I don't care. You know, I don't care the backstory. I think Rick Patino I would have hired him in a second.
Speaker 8: And Dan. The other thing is, I wish Louisville would do this.
Speaker 10: I wish Louisville would say, screw you, we're putting the banner from thirteen backup. N Cuba is feckless right now, Dan, And well, okay, get mad at us.
Speaker 8: Good for you. I don't I don't care. I really wish they would do that.
Speaker 2: Would you do that if you're Michigan?
Speaker 10: Yeah, Final four maybe a little different. And those guys held whoever allegedly was going to jail if the Martin guy didn't die. You know, for a lot that got a little bit what's the right, I got a little bit too much in the courts for me.
Speaker 8: But I think I would. Now, you know, I.
Speaker 10: Haven't thought about it. I'm just thinking about that for the first time. Yeah, I think I probably would. I think i'd say, look, these games were played, we won them. You know, I like it. It's like I used to tell my kids, Dan, you're mad at me. Really, I still tell them, you're mad at me. Go stand over there in the corner and be mad and let me know when you're not mad anymore and come back. That's yeah, I would. Yeah, I would put those banners up at Michigan. I certainly would do it. A Louisville absolutely.
Speaker 2: Sneaky team that you like in the tournament.
Speaker 10: You know, it's funny. Everybody likes Drake, and I love Drake's coach. But I saw today seventy one percent of the money is bet on Drake. That tells me bet against Drake. Every time the you know, the public goes on someone, I go gainst. I will tell your team I'm fascinated by and Dan that's Wisconsin. You know Dan with my trico. When I used to do this when we were broadcast. We wouldn't look at the line until game time, and then I would ask him, Mike, what's the over under? And he was really good, like he would you know, I think he cheated, but he would nail it. But with Wisconsin, the over under was always like one twenty something, right, one one eighteen.
Speaker 8: They can get in the eighties, they can get high seventies.
Speaker 10: I'm fascinated because Dan, they have switched their entire operation. I mean when you and I were in co Dan, we went in my time in Indiana seventeen years. We went for sixteen years. We went thirty one and one against Wisconsin. And so they got Dick Bennett. They went a different way. Now they're going to up and down. I'm fascinated to see how they do. And I'll tell you what I like Kentucky. I don't know why I got them going to the final four. D I just I like their team. I'm not mad at their path.
Speaker 8: I just do. And you know one of the sleeper teams that I like.
Speaker 10: I'm anxious to see what High Point does today against Purdue. And I'll tell you why. I've never seen a guy used more than Brayden Smith is used at Purdue. Like Dan, they don't have a second ball handler. Kid's a first team All American. He's asked to do everything, and I mean everything, and I thought, I'm not.
Speaker 8: You know, I'm one of those guys. A shut up, put some dirt on it. Let's go.
Speaker 10: I don't want to hear about you being tired. But Dan, dude, legitimately should be wore out. And I'm anxious. High Point gets up and down. They can score. They got a good coach. I'm looking forward to that game. I'm looking forward to Creighton and Louisville. Louisville got job, Creighton got job. Eight nine game my ass, Yeah, I know that'll be just. You know, Creighton's got a lot of things that you need to advance in the tournament.
Speaker 2: I'll leave you with this. Your days is a player, as a coach, as an assistant coach. The best performance you ever saw by a player was turned in by who.
Speaker 10: Calbert Cheney against Louisville in the NCAA Tournament.
Speaker 8: Dwayne Morton. Dwayne Morton was really good back then and Calvert.
Speaker 10: He said something to Calbert, I don't know if this is the best, but Calvert was a player of the Year Morton said something and Calvert just went stupid.
Speaker 8: You know what I mean?
Speaker 10: Dan, Like, Calvert was the nicest guy in America, easiest guy in the history of basketball to coach every day. And I never saw this until this guy, Dwayne Morton came at him and Dan, it was like guys talking about Michael Jordan when you said something to him. He had an electricity. It was in the regional I think it was in the sweet sixteen, maybe ninety three. He dunked on him, got face to face, and I'm sitting there going, wait a second, here, hang on, baby, that's pretty damn good.
Speaker 8: Shack. We beat Shack.
Speaker 10: He made all twelve of his free throws in ninety two his last game, true story.
Speaker 8: He had thirty six and made all of his free throws.
Speaker 10: And I told Matt and over the guy that guarded him, I said, Mat, I've never said this about a dude that got thirty six on you.
Speaker 8: But that's a hell of a defensive performance. Brother.
Speaker 2: What was the performance better than your performance against Michael Jordan.
Speaker 10: Nothing will ever surpass that, Dan, nothing in the history of basketball.
Speaker 2: You've been dining out on that for decades, that you held Jordan under twenty.
Speaker 10: Hell Jordan under ten I found he got four more. He ended up with thirteen. I was a little pissed about that thing.
Speaker 8: Kick.
Speaker 2: Did you say anything to him at all during that? I mean, he wasn't Michael Jordan then they were playing him in college, but didn't know he's still there. That you were, you know, you could get him fired up.
Speaker 8: No, you know, Dan, I.
Speaker 10: Don't know if you remember this, but Orlando Woolridge and Notre Dame beat Virginia and Ralph Samson and I was at the game, and Orlando Woolridge said, I didn't say a word to Ralph. I just stayed behind him and next to him, didn't say a word. And I thought about that, and I did that during that game. I didn't say a word. But if he was back, you know, somebody shooting free throws and he was at half court, I stood next to him. If he was on the free throw line, I stood down. I just I don't know why I did, though. Dan, we played golf that summer. I beat him out of sixth grand and I talked a lot of hish that night. Dan, I'm not gonna lie to you. I told him I'll play it for any dime you want. I'll play for everything you want because you suck and I'm good and I'm gonna kick the living audio And he owed me six grand by the end of the day, and of course, being Michael Jordan, he never paid, but eight out.
Speaker 8: It's a good story.
Speaker 2: Keep started up. Great to talk to you as always, Bud.
Speaker 8: Thanks brother, See you at.
Speaker 2: Dan Dakich the host of Don't At Me podcast on OutKick. I loved him on games. I thought it was one of the best basketball analysts that I had ever heard. He was great at dissecting a game. And if you're learning the game while you're in the locker room with Bob Knight as an assistant coach and uh, you know, Dockach was really good. I miss him on the Foxes. Well, he was on ESPN, but the coverage of college basketball, well, take a break, Last call for phone calls, What we learn, What's in store tomorrow?
Speaker 1: Right after this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Last call for phone calls? What we learn This day in sports history? Basketball getting ready to start in less than fifteen minutes. What are the games coming up at noon? And does anybody have a crazy final four team in their bracket? Marvin, I'll start with you. Anything crazy in your final four as you pull out your bracket.
Speaker 4: I have Michigan, Saint John's, Alabama and Tennessee Michigan.
Speaker 2: I do riding off that big big ten tournament champ victory.
Speaker 4: That's right. Got my favorite not Yukon player, Danny Wolf.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, you do love Danny Wolf. Danny Wolf looks like he would play for Yukon, doesn't he?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: For sure, he definitely be on the Cream team.
Speaker 2: Yes, you you've been I think the beginning of the year. Maybe you saw him, yeah tournament? Oh that's right, Yeah, yeah, yeah, he's like six', ten but he's, good he's. ACTIVE. Pauli anything crazy in your final?
Speaker 9: Four not at, all very. CHALKY i do Have tennessee in a final.
Speaker 2: Four, Hmm, fritzel what about?
Speaker 3: YOU i went a little off the Board Auburn Saint John's duke In.
Speaker 2: Houston, wow you went, Crazy.
Speaker 3: But i've been known to do a lot of ones and twos in these.
Speaker 2: Things, yeah, Uh, seatan what about?
Speaker 6: You my final four Is, Auburn, Alabama, Houston. YUKON i Have yukon's Beating. ALABAMA, Whoa i'm quadrupling down on the bet THAT i made THAT i didn't Think marvin would Pick. Yukon so if Somehow marvin Was yukon was to three, PEET i would be the one who called it And marvin would be on the other side being, like oh, yeah and he Took Saint, john's which IS i can't imagine, anything like you might as well Picked syracuse, Somehow like is there anything worse than picking? That SO i JUST i quadrupled down on the bet hoping That marvin would not Pick.
Speaker 2: Yukon the first couple of games coming up at Noon, Eastern.
Speaker 9: Yeah you Got Creighton mouble Creaton Louisville High Points Great game versus Per Due High. Point they're twenty nine to five h, Point montana Versus. Wisconsin THEN Siu edwardsville Versus.
Speaker 4: Houston those are the first.
Speaker 2: Four all, right let's see This dane sports. History what do you have for? ME i got a couple for.
Speaker 9: YOU i Have Wilt chamberlain nineteen sixty eight became the first center IN nba history to lead the league and. Assists he ended with eight point six assists per. GAME nfl, owners oh, no this is not a good. One nineteen eighty, nine it was announced that The Cincinnati reds Manager Pete rose was under investigation for. Gambling day one of that. Story nineteen, ninety THE La lakers Retired Kareem Abdul jabbar's number thirty. Three tough discussion.
Speaker 2: There it was on the state in twenty. Ten this was a great. DAY i, mean not if You're, kansas But Northern iowa upset number One kansas sixty nine sixty. Seven was That ali? Farouchmidneck, yes he broke my neck second round of the. Turn that was. WILD i think we had him on the next day or you, know soon after. THAT i remember him hitting a jumper from the corner for some. Reason on this, date nineteen sixty, Five Gail goodrich scored forty, two LEADING ucla to an eleven point win Over. Michigan that was UCLA's second consecutive. Championship kevin In, Austin, Hi, kevin what do you have for me?
Speaker 12: Today, WELL dp obviously late for a poll, question BUT i just wanted to get your guy's opinion on. This it's always Something seatan's great. At but one of.
Speaker 7: The most overused or, annoying annoying cliche that goes on this weekend is guard. Play iszzo and march sec beat up on each other betteran? Leadership you didn't pick the twelve over the?
Speaker 2: FIVE a lot of. Cliches, yeah it's it's a month of, Cliches. Paulie my favorite.
Speaker 9: Is when a team upsets another team and you, GO i was gonna pick, them but you didn't pick.
Speaker 2: Them i'm a big guy in that. ONE i don't know if it's a cliche other than when somebody, goes, YEP i had, THAT i had high point Over, Purdue and THEN i always say how many brackets did you fill?
Speaker 10: Out?
Speaker 2: Six, no then it doesn't. Count, yeah seton. Mine it's not.
Speaker 6: Unique to the, tournament BUT i know it's gonna happen a gazillion what was that number you had?
Speaker 2: BEFORE a quatrillion.
Speaker 6: Times it'll happen a quatrillion times in this tournament till quartillion.
Speaker 1: Times, OH i, mean are you kidding?
Speaker 6: Me that's every announcer anytime something happens a big.
Speaker 2: DUNCAN i, mean are you kidding? Me?
Speaker 4: Dude you do this for a.
Speaker 2: Living you see that fifty thousand times? AGAIN i, mean are you kidding?
Speaker 12: Me?
Speaker 4: Now you're gonna hear?
Speaker 2: That S i? You edwardsville is getting twenty eight and a, Half Alabama state getting thirty two and a half Against. Auburn MAYBE i take the dogs the underdogs, here by the, way The Gambling podcast later on today it'll be Uh Shayan, Irving dylan the graphics, Guy Bad. Larry that'll be available A danpatrick dot, Com todd what'd you learn on today's?
Speaker 5: Program Diana rossini believes The giants want to take your Door sanders in the draft and may hope to Sign Russell wilson Or Joe flaky as.
Speaker 2: Well seatan would you? Learn?
Speaker 6: UH i learned That Diana rossini is she's got a sense of. Humor it doesn't always get eye.
Speaker 2: Jokes, Yeah, marvin what did you?
Speaker 4: Learn Ryanie pete didn't bring a glove To? Japan Paul xavior.
Speaker 8: Not X.
Speaker 2: Xavior enjoy the. Hoops we'll dissect it tomorrow for our Meat. Friday have a great, day, everybody