Speaker 1: Kutbooms.
Speaker 2: If you thought four hours a day, twelve hundred minutes a week was enough, think again. He's the last remnants of the old Republic, a soul fashion of fairness. He treats crackheads in the ghetto cutter the same as the rich pill poppers in the penthouse.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: The Clearinghouse of Hot takes break free for something special. The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller starts right now.
Speaker 1: In the air everywhere, and a very good Saturday to you. It's the last day of November, my god, but that's usually what happens, like Thanksgiving weekend, and then we'll be blown away tomorrow because it'll be the first day of this ebur But it is the Fifth Hour with me Ben Maller and my man Danny g Radio even on a Thanksgiving weekend, because either we love you or we're losers, or possibly both. Here we are providing you with a marginal weekend podcast, The Fifth Hour and my man Dan. Have you recovered from yesterday's Raider game?
Speaker 3: Danny?
Speaker 1: I know, yeah, you know. It's a weird setup. The Friday NFL. You don't normally get that right. This is a relatively new thing. Friday NFL, and.
Speaker 3: I have told you in the past that I think Mark Davis should have jumped all over this from the get go and branded it silver and Black Friday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hey, own it like the Lions. Yeah, Cowboys have Thanksgiving? Why not? It was fun. I enjoyed it was a standalone game. The game was good. I don't know your reaction. What an ending. The Raiders had the game in their hand. They missed a six earlier, they were set up. They were in fine position to kick the game winning field goal with no time left for Mahomes Ben.
Speaker 3: All those Daniel Carlson misses were over fifty five yards. Yeah, so they were in position to have a much better kick than that, and Carlson could have redeemed himself and had the game winner. To me, that's how it was about to play out. And they had just commented on how cool and calm Aidan O'Connell was moving the team up the field and him getting up to the line of scrimmage. Unfortunately he was in a hurry to not be in a hurry, because yeah, the lineman thought, oh quick, count, here we go, and he was still getting the wide receiver and tight end aligned. What was confusing about that last play. And my favorite part of the broadcast with Prime and Amazon. I loved how they brought the rules expert in right away to explain to all of us viewers what happened, and in the post game they still didn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, who I mean, it was confused me. I thought your favorite part was when Al Michaels announced that the Raiders had moved back to Oakland.
Speaker 4: I thought that, Yeah, it was a long Tucker, a long Tucker touchdown, and he got so excited he had a flashback to the eighties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fifty eight yard catch and run. And in the fourth quarter and all of a sudden, now Michaels is flashing back to the Oakland Raider. He knew right away. He fed up. Either he knew or somebody told him in his ear. Yeah, he quickly tried to correct it. But I mean the Raiders obviously, listen, they suck. They're two and ten, But for one day they outplayed the Chiefs. They add more first downs, they had almost I think it was over one hundred yards more of offense, and a O'Donnell he averaged almost ten yards per pass. Obviously, those big pass plays skewed the numbers tremendously at a forty three something yard to think the Myers and Tucker play, so that that skews the numbers. But yeah, O'Connell looked amazing, which is which is bizarre because remember the Raiders you obviously know because they when they beat the Chiefs last year at Arrowhead. I believe it was, And O'Connor.
Speaker 3: Was, yeah, you're right. On Christmas.
Speaker 1: He didn't even throw a pass I think in the second hoverage some ridiculous thing like that where you already threw any passes. In this game, he outplayed Mahomes. You ran the ball better than the Chiefs ran the.
Speaker 3: Ball with a practice squad running back since Sarah McCormick, who.
Speaker 1: I don't even know. I have no idea who that. No, I mean there were guys playing for the Rads, I said, I don't know who that is.
Speaker 3: Their entire roster Ben has been obliterated by injuries. We have third stringers in there for the Raiders on both sides of the ball. So for them to come out with that effort and energy, it was great to see. And I said on the Cavino and Rich Show when we were filling in for Dan Patrick just a few days ago. I wanted an exciting game, but because a draft position, I wanted them to lose a close one. Your dreams came true, you know, you know they need a franchise quarterback and at this point, what are you going to win a couple of meaningless games for.
Speaker 1: Well, at this point the Raiders because of that that loss, they have moved up one slot for now. Jacksonville plays tomorrow. Yes, so the Raiders are two and ten so for now they're in second in the draft order that they need the Giants to win a game.
Speaker 3: Yep, for sure. And Ben, before we turned the page, Yeah, can you make sense of that last play? Because when the referees blew the whistle right away and were putting their hands above their heads waving their hands to me, the play was over. But then they huddled and decided, well, it's an illegal shift, not motion, so they let the play go. But it seemed like they were confused and blew the play dead as if it was an illegal motion rather than shift.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was odd, and I'll tell you what I texted. You know, the people I went to Arrowhead with were at the game, Yester, the tailgate people and I text them. I said, here's exactly what I said. He you still got that lucky horseshoe up, mahomes ass, I mean, Mike, that was yeah. I thought, hey, okay, they'll read you know, their five yard penalty or whatever. I did not no thought in my head was like, well, the Chiefs are going to get the ball, because it didn't appear like that at all from watching on the Amazon feed, So it was It was odd, and I know Connell took the blame, but I don't know. It seemed like the center fed up.
Speaker 3: What I really wanted. And I know Arrowhead has a special place in your heart now, but I loved sending those Chiefs fans home last Christmas with frowns on their faces, and I wanted that to be the case yesterday because one thing I hate about those spoiled Chiefs fans. If anything doesn't go their way in a game, they start booing. They were booing during that game when they thought Crosby touched Mahomes on the and then when something else didn't call didn't go their way later in the game, they were booing again. When the Raiders took the lead, they started booing. And I'm thinking to myself, you spoiled Fox. What are you really booing for or about?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, it's an odd situation because the Chiefs now with that win, what are they eleven and one? And they have they have played like pretty crap bag football. I would say going back to the the Tampa game, I guess week nine they won that that was I think a Monday night game. They beat the Denver game I was at. They barely won that game, they won because of a block field goal. They lost to the Bills, barely beat Carolina, barely beat the rest. So it's it's like it's a weird thing where the Chiefs have won three of four but really or three of the last for the last five, but all five could have gone in the lost column. So it's this odd thing where they're like they've got this great record, but yet they really aren't playing particularly well.
Speaker 3: And a stat you'll love for Benny versus the Penny, past six games, they are zero to six against the spread.
Speaker 1: Well, that's all we care about. That's all that's all we care about. And I don't want to jinx myself. I'll just say that the picks that didn't make the TV show because We obviously record the show and it airs mostly on Friday and Saturday and Sunday, so we didn't worry about the Thanksgiving games. But I've done very well so far to start the week, which means I'm due to go the other way. But good start and will now the Raiders have I'm looking at the rest of the schedule. There's there's two games they probably should win. Uh uh yeah, I mean they played Tampa Bay that'll be a loss. At Tampa Atlanta probably a loss, although Kirk Cousin sucks on the road. That's in Vegas. Jacksonville at home. You should beat Jacksonville and the Saints that should be a win. So do you win those?
Speaker 3: They're fighting with Jacksonville over a top draft position, you know how they say, Oh, the NFC West might come down to that final game, the Niners versus as the Cardinals. This might come down to the Raiders versus the Jags for who has the best suckage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's the problem is that the whole tanking thing, well, it does happen, it's usually orchestrated by the front office. It's not normally done by the coaching staff and the players.
Speaker 3: It's exact because they don't want to lose their jobs to newly drafted players.
Speaker 1: Exactly, So they have it's the front office who has to sit certain people or they have to finagle the roster. That's typically how it's. Well, we've done a lot of sporto.
Speaker 3: Wow, there was a lot of Turkey day. We can't in football.
Speaker 1: Well, we've always watched the Raider game and here we are on Saturday talking about it. But I did want to mention a couple of things I have. I have Picasso would be proud PTSD. We might get to the Word of the week. So we have some things to get to, but I want to start with this. We obviously had Thanksgiving just a couple of days ago, and I don't know what it was like for you. We had a small get together my father in law in North Carolina. My sister in law and her kids were unfortunately at a funeral in Oregon, so they were gone. Both my brothers live across the country, so I had a few of my wife's aunts, I had one of my cousins who lives in the area, and the week prior we had friends giving, very important event that I never had in my life until recently Friendsgiving. So this is my wife's idea. So we had a bunch of her friends over for a hybrid basically Thanksgiving a week earlier. The turkey, the side dishes and all that, just with friends. And as the Great Paul Harvey would say, you know what the news is, but now here you are going to hear the rest of the story. So a few hours I'll go back. This is friends Giving, not Thanksgiving. Don't confuse, never, Danny, confuse Friendsgiving with Thanksgiving. These are two separate events, two separate events.
Speaker 3: So yeah, most of us don't have friends, so we only have Thanksgiving.
Speaker 1: I don't either. These were my wife's friends, so a few I was just there because I'm through marriage. So a few hours before the shindig, we were having some work done in the kitchen. We had finally put our range hood up and we were doing something. There was some paint that needed to be done. We have a handyman because you know, I'm on radio, so I can't use my hands. So we have a handyman who helps us out a lot at the house and does a lot of work and stuff. And great guy does a lot of good work. Doesn't always follow the code. We have a lot of handymen that listened to the show doesn't always follow all the code. So we had a range put up and needed some touch up paint and some things like that. And so my wife, of course wanting to impress her friends. As you know, Danny, your wife's the same way, right. I think most wives are like that. I want to show off to your friends, and so I wanted everything to look beautiful. So we had the guy over preparing for the event. And this is the day of the event, and we ran out to the store to buy some last minute garlic, making garlic mashed potatoes. My wife, she's bragging in the car a good team because I dropped her off to run in and get the garlic. So it was busy and it's very proud. So we get back to the house and we're putting the finishing touches on the food preparation. Everything is in the oven now cooking. So it's like the haze in the barn. You know on football they say the haze in the barn. You've done all the work for practice, you're ready to go. So everything was in the oven, everything's getting ready, We're good to go. So my wife's in the other room. The handyman's finishing up. I'm kind of in the kitchen, but I'm futzing around over near the table. And then out of my peripheral vision to the right, I see something kind of like a comet, and then I hear a large kaboom kaboom. I turned to my right, and what I saw in I still have this vision in my head. I can close my eyes and see the vision. What I saw belonged in the louver in Paris. There was it was Picasso would be proud. So the spoiler alert on this. The handyman, in his haste to get the painting done, was standing on a small ladder, not a full ladder, but a small ladder, and somehow, I guess, lost his balance and dropped a full gallon of paint, white paint, racist all over the kitchen. And I don't be just a little bit, I mean everywhere, in the air, everywhere, Danny. This was a direct hit in the middle of the kitchen, right on the floor, but it spattered, splattered everywhere. Now keeping wround, We're ninety minutes away from having all my wife's friends over for friendsgiving. This thing is from floor to ceiling. I mean, we have like this light blue fridge and oven, which cost a freaking fortune, right, my wife wanted or whatever. Very expensive. Looks nice though, So so we're i mean, my wife, you know, she was very confious. She's a nine one one operator. I'm screaming profanity, you know, the Haindiman's freaked out. He's covered in paint. It's like a Stooges episode. So we get a big thing of towels out and we try immediately and the paint dries very quickly, as you know, Danny. So we're trying to clean off the refrigerator in the oven because that's the main you know, we can clean the rest of it, but we had to get that right away, but the whole floor is covered. It was insane, absolutely insane, and so we're getting water out. We're like, we're like, how can we do this quickly? And you know, it was just it was an overwhelming amount of paint and ninety minutes out, the drama, the profanity, all of that, and fortunately we didn't get it all cleaned up, but we got it cleaned up enough where you couldn't tell the amount of damage that had been done. And Unfortunately. What happened was a lot of the people were late because of LA traffic and we lived pretty far out in the north Woods here, so people were a little later and then they were supposed to be, so we had a little extra time. But it was insane. It reminded me. I've told the story before years ago, my famous Thanksgiving. This was actual Thanksgiving. Some gravy. My dad was taking gravy from the kitchen to the oven to the table, and it dropped and went everywhere, and we spent me and the family spent Thanksgiving cleaning gravy up.
Speaker 3: I guess now, how did you guys go about getting this up off the floor in ninety minutes?
Speaker 1: The first thing we had to do was clean the refrigerator in the oven. That was the most important thing. So we did that, and then at that point.
Speaker 3: But it dripped all the way down to the floor. Though, see what.
Speaker 1: He was standing on a ladder and he dropped the canister on the floor, but it spattered everywhere.
Speaker 3: Got it okay?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it was a it was a hit on the floor and then and it was just unbelievable. He I mean it is so it was like abstract art, Yes, exactly again at the Louver. You know, Picasso would be proud and all that it was. It was ridiculous and uh probably breathed way too many paint fumes in. I love the handyman, but most painters, you know, what they do is they put a like a like a piece of plastic on the floor in case they dropped paint.
Speaker 3: You know, yeah, that white tart looking thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well this guy doesn't need that, I guess he just yeah, he was his paint. Poor the poor guy. He was not dressed to paint, and he was covered, I mean the jeans he was wearing, just the gonzo. But as far as the event, uh it was. We were all stressed out and there was some alcohol consumption whatever, mostly my wife's friends, although we did get visit from the Florida man. I sent out a photo on social media Gascon Gagon, who was the original I did the podcast with him before you replaced him and got rid of thank god, because we don't do this political stuff anymore. But Gascon was in from Florida. He was in town doing a college basketball game or something like that, and so he came by and I hadn't seen him in a couple of years. Actually, I can't believe the time has flown. But he's been in Florida for a while.
Speaker 3: And that's right, not since the Halloween party you had a couple of years ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been a couple of years. So I caught up with him and we're trading stories and whatnot, and and that was that. So that was friends Giving, and as far as the PTSD thing, while we have it. So let's go back to the couple of days ago Thanksgiving. So I had some work done. I worked overnight. Actually I worked Thanksgiving night into Thanksgiving. As you know, I took off Black Friday because that's a bigger holiday, but I worked the day before into Thanksgiving, and so I was working that night. My wife also works, so we used a bit of a cheat cod for Thanksgiving. Now, neither one of us big turkey people. I've told the story. My mom loved turkey, ate it. Every big event, birthday, anything big event in the family. She'd make turkey. That was a way to celebrate, just a way for her to eat turkey. More So, I'm done with turkey. I've had God love my mom, but I tuna and turkey. My mom served me so much tuna when I was a kid, I hate it. I hate all seafood, and now the turkey. But we used a bit of Chico. So my wife said, well, you know, we don't want to have time to cook all day because we'll be sleeping quite a bit. So why don't we make all the side dishes and then we'll get one of those turkeys at a local restaurant, like a barbecue turkey, and you just put it in the oven for a couple hours rather than all day. Right, So it's all right, that's a good idea.
Speaker 3: Why not.
Speaker 1: That's a very boogie thing to do. I'm all about it. So she ordered this turkey a couple days before and just put in the oven, good to go. So I had to go pick up the turkey. I'm on a turkey run, so I'm a little bleary eyed. I didn't get much sleep. I wake up. I scramble over to get to the barbecue restaurant there, local restaurant there to pick up the bird. But they got a whole racket, Like this place has a whole racket. They have a refrigerated two refrigerated trucks in the parking lot. I guess a lot. I didn't know this was a thing. Did you know this was the thing that I didn't realize this was the thing? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because remember I told the story last Thanksgiving? How I did?
Speaker 1: You did do this? Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 3: Sorry? I picked up from Loose Seals and I couldn't find their mobile truck.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I picked up. I went to pick up the bird there in the parking lot, and there was a line of about fifteen people. But I figured that it would move relatively fast, right, So I parked the car, I hop in line, and I ended up having PTSD because it felt very much like COVID waiting outside Costco. The line did not move. I ended up online. I waited. It was such a poop show, Danny, I ended up waiting for well, Originally it was like I looked at thirty minutes, and then it got to forty five, and then and then we got to sixty. It took seventy five minutes online before they figured out my order and to get me the bird.
Speaker 3: What was the hold up?
Speaker 1: They didn't know what they were doing. I don't know, I mean, they didn't. They were like apologetic, they were like, I'm sorry, you know, it's not. We're working on it, you know. And they were smiling and all this stuff, but we were in it was ridiculous. And I don't know what the delay was. I have no idea. Maybe they ran out of turkey, but they appeared to have trucks full of food. I have no idea. But that was a tough one. So and now what was your Thanksgiving? Like with the kid and all that, you have to drag the child around a different houses.
Speaker 3: Nah, we just did a small family get together at home, turkey all day long in the oven, made stuffing. Bought a couple of sides from fire Stone Fire Stone Fire Grill.
Speaker 1: Oh, yes, I've heard of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, you would have loved this, Benny. I know we say that we get a pass on this because even the kids are bitching about prices. But my wife was so aggravated going in like you guys did a couple of days before Thanksgiving. Ordered online. The night before she picked up a couple of sides from Stone Fire, including mashed potatoes, which were fifteen dollars and it said it fed four people. Perfect. She gets the side of mash potatoes, she could hold it in the palm of her hand, Benny. It looked like it fed our teenage daughter by herself for fifteen dollars.
Speaker 1: Brutal the price points, it's the shrink flation is what it is, right, So it's the portion size is the issue.
Speaker 3: Yes, you know, we're not complaining because we went to a restaurant and there wasn't enough on our plate just for ourselves. You're trying to feed your little family with sides. So if they say this is a side for Thanksgiving dinners, then it should be a side to feed people out of Thanksgiving dinner.
Speaker 1: No, I'm right there with you, man. I go to the grocery store. I do most of the shopping so for the for the family here. So I go to the store and I'm like, we were at an Am. There's an Amazon fresh Market near us, and I usually shop at like Smart and Final some other grocery stores, and so we went in there and I was gonna buy some pineapple. We're gonna make some like Taraoki pineapple chicken at the house the other day, and they had fresh pineapple and it was like eight dollars for a little plastic container of pineapple. I was like Jesus, so, but I went over and I bought a can of pineapple for two dollars, which had the same amount of pineapple, except it was canned, and I was like eight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, no, you got to be creative nowadays. So we went to a different spot, got a side of potatoes from their restaurant would ranch much more in the container for the same price. So we wound up spending thirty dollars just on matched potatoes. But they were good. It was a good dinner. We were able to time it out so that we ate right around four pm. We had all the football games on and it was it was really chill. And got some desserts from Crumble ooh booh yeah, a mini little mini pie, so, a mini pumpkin pie, a mini key lime pie, a mini Oreo cookie pie. It was wonderful. You would have loved it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my new pie. My favorite is banana cream. We didn't have banana cream, but somebody brought a pecan pie and I actually liked it a lot. I don't know I like I guess it's because I haven't had a lot of it in my life. Maybe that's why. But a well made pecan pie is to me really good. I made cookies I made brownies. I affed up the brownies though I forgot the butter. I was such a hurry. I forgot the butter the pan so the brownies. Getting them out of the pan was a absolute nightmare. They were Yeah, I was not not well planned out. They tasted good, but the presentation, Danny, was not It was not what I was hoping.
Speaker 3: I understand. I understand your vibe about too much turkey as a kid, but one thing I still love to this day is the leftover turkey sandwich.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, No, I had a lot of those too, with the bread and the mayo or whatever's on top of Yeah.
Speaker 3: The really soft white bread with the mayonnaise, and she would use just a touch, a little touch of mustard. Yesterday I housed two of those. And today, you know what I'm gonna do while I'm watching college football.
Speaker 1: You'll be chowing down on more bird more Turkey is one of those birds, going.
Speaker 3: Dummy.
Speaker 1: Well, we have the mail bag. I'll save the word of the week. I have a word we'll use, but we'll use it for tomorrow on the Sunday mail bag. And you want to promote here, Danny, It's Saturday, the last day of November.
Speaker 3: That's it, man, Yeah, man, just this fine podcast. The download numbers have been amazing, so thank you for loyally waiting.
Speaker 1: Even for Finley, people actually heard numb Nuts podcast.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Unfortunately, there was a lot of downloads for Friday's podcast as well.
Speaker 1: Daddy.
Speaker 3: I'm thinking people hopefully were tuned in for you.
Speaker 1: And not him on that probably probably so.
Speaker 3: But yeah, no, if you could, you know, help us increase the numbers even more, we'd love you for that. Just make sure to send the podcast today to at least one family member or one friend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, say you got it on Black Friday, even though it's Saturday. You say, Hey, I got this yesterday and I'd like to give this to you. It's my gift. It was on sale.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: Have a wonderful rest today, enjoy the college football to that college football season winding down also obviously because of the.
Speaker 3: Time of the year.
Speaker 1: But we'll have another mail bag on Sundays. Sundays Sunday we'll catch and then have a great rest of your day.
Speaker 3: Austa Pasta Bopulation