Speaker 1: I've heard that there's a house that has some bodies in the basement.
Speaker 2: Somebody told you that Shakaia was a victim of human trafficking.
Speaker 1: I'm come to find out. This is like it exploded into this huge thing.
Speaker 3: I knew, I just knew something was wrong.
Speaker 4: Police say thirty three year old Jared Bride Again was shot dead.
Speaker 3: I kept calling his phone during the drive.
Speaker 1: Gunned down in front of his two year old daughter. It's a murder of the stun Jack Speach neighbors.
Speaker 4: His murder has attracted national attention, with the investigators saying he was targeted.
Speaker 5: Eventually a police officer answered and told me to come to the police station.
Speaker 6: Justice is something that takes different shapes or forms.
Speaker 4: If you know something, heard something, please it's never too late to.
Speaker 7: Do the right thing.
Speaker 1: So I'm Dana Thompson aka Body Movin, and.
Speaker 6: I'm John Green. For about a decade, Deanna and I spent a lot of time on the Internet, especially in the underbelly of the Internet, trying to identify and get animal abusers arrested.
Speaker 1: We spent countless hours scouring the dark web helping catch predators. We spent over a year and a half trying to get law enforcement to take us seriously about a man that was killing cats online and he was threatening to move on to kill humans. And that was Luca mcnatta.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you might have heard about the Netflix special called Don't Fuck with Cats.
Speaker 1: That's us. Well, now we're turning our online investigator skills to some of the most unexplained, unsolved, and just ignored cases.
Speaker 6: This is True Crimes, the production of iHeartRadio and Kat's Studios.
Speaker 1: So last time we spoke to Shikaia's momb tamera, she had been planning a trip to go down to Arizona to meet with a sketch artist who was going to create an update to look on what Chakaya could look like. And John, we got pretty excited about that because you know, missing person posters are super important when you're trying to find somebody who's missing, right, correct.
Speaker 6: These updated photos could serve as an invaluable tool because we tend to think of the miss person as we've last seen them, which they may not look like that today. So her parents over the last four years could have changed.
Speaker 1: Right, And you know, Shakai has been kind of living a hard life, possibly so the environment, the elements they can aid you in different ways, so we were pretty excited about the chance of possibly getting an updated photo of Chicaya. However, since we last spoke to Tamra, her trip has gotten canceled. So John, we were thinking it might be interesting if we could do our own sketch for Shakaya's family so that we could do some new missing person posters, so we reached out to Michael W.
Speaker 8: Streed.
Speaker 1: Michael is the CEO, president, and co founder of SketchCop Solutions.
Speaker 6: He is also a retired police investigator, a certified forensic artist, and there's one of the world's most experienced forensic facial imaging and identification consultants.
Speaker 1: His facial composite software app, SketchCop, is used by law enforcement agencies around the world. We ended up finding him on his website SketchCop dot com.
Speaker 9: Hello, how are you doing Indiana?
Speaker 10: I'm wonderful are you?
Speaker 4: I'm doing great?
Speaker 2: And you're with SketchCop right, That is my company.
Speaker 9: I've been a police officer for over thirty years, retired as a police sergeant. During my career, I developed sketching skills and started working on a lot of different cases throughout Orange County, LA County, and so when I ended my career, I decided to start a consulting business to provide investigative assistance to agencies that needed some sort of friendsic facial imaging, whether it be composite sketches, eye withness, interviews, a skull reconstruction from unidentified remains most recent over the last couple of years, gotten into one to one facial comparison and analysis. And my latest skill set is actually cranio facial overlays and skull face overlays where you have device as AI supported software that can take a three D skull and lay over a two D photograph and align it properly and do an analysis a scope along staff person.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 9: So anything anything with facial identification. And I forgot the failing age progression that the I do a lot of age progression missing persons, people who passed away, you know, early in life. Their loved ones want to see what could have been. So I always tell people it's a boutique agency that pretty much does.
Speaker 4: Anything involving the face and facial illustration and facial identification.
Speaker 9: I've been doing it like this for over forty years now and I've worked on cases that no one's ever heard of. I've worked on cases that made news around the world, you know, anywhere from children abducted off the street and raped and murdered and the suspects have been arrested, you know, serial killers, zero robbers, zero rapists. I mean so and I've worked in you know, for small agencies. I'm under contract to LAPD how to provide sketch services for them, as well as the Baltimore Police Department as well. First of all, there's not a lot of people who specialize in doing age progression images. I was actually fortunate enough to be trained by the National Center for Missing Exploded Children by the artists back in the nineties who pioneered the technique. And so, whereas a lot of people, a lot of artists who do the work, they actually do a sketch based upon a photograph of the person. I actually use the photograph of the person and create a photographic looking end image.
Speaker 1: One thing I wanted to ask you, do people like hire you privately to do this kind of thing normally or is it normally law enforcement that reaches out to you.
Speaker 7: No, it's it's both.
Speaker 10: Actually, so we've been working on a missing person's case, and she's been missing for four years.
Speaker 9: You know, four years isn't going to be a lot of time and terms pright of aging an adult. However, if you know people who go missing, whether voluntary or involuntarily, it's going to take its toll. Unhealthy lifestyle and unhealthy diet, things like that. So there may be some structural changes in the face and maybe a more weathered appearance in terms of you know, people who aren't taking care of their hygiene necessarily, so a photograph of her could be updated to reflect that more so than any.
Speaker 4: Type of aging.
Speaker 9: The cool thing is, and the.
Speaker 4: Good thing about these things the image updates age progressions is it gets that face in front of the media and gets in front of people, It generates information.
Speaker 9: It becomes a focal point. Basically, it's a reason to go out to the media is because of a reason to get someone interested in the case like this, because facts are nothing more than words. Now you've got an image to go with that. I'd like to have as close a photograph to taken to the time that they disappeared, and of course, you know, the.
Speaker 4: Best quality possible. Any known health issues, any known drugger or alcohol abuse issues.
Speaker 9: As much information I have as possible, as good a photographs as possible, then get to work.
Speaker 10: I would love to make a new poster for her, you know what I mean, like be able to make a new poster to give to these organizations that are sharing for information, include a photo with you know, your information and stuff.
Speaker 2: That would be amazing.
Speaker 10: Anything we could do to move this along.
Speaker 9: We'd be happy to do right now. For example, you know, human traffic is a big thing. But again you know with the FEDS especially, but with local police departments, you know, they're having trouble holding onto people. They're having trouble with recruiting people. So a lot of things that were important before aren't so much important now. For example, nowadays, they're probably going to take a missing person's report, They're going to put it in the computer, so it's an NCIC. So if somebody happens upon this person on the street, you know, they get a report someone panhandling, they get to report someone acting suspiciously, you know, a beat officers in to contact them and they may find in their missing person and oftentimes unless there's some sort of reason to take them into some sort of protective custody. They're just going to verify they're okay, they're going to clear amount of the system of the person's going to go on about their life because there's no there's no mandate for the officers to return an adults or their family supported missing missing kids is much different, so you don't get a lot of follow up. And and you know, Johnny, you're saying earlier that you you know, you guys are having difficultly wrapping your head around the fact that she hasn't been contacted by the police in four years. And trafficking. The trafficking organizations are very sophisticated and oftentimes they secure these people in homes, they lock them down, they're virtually in jail. Basically, they're always escorted by somebody typically is going to make sure that they don't make contact or ask for help and such. And they may be being trapped in remote areas where there's very few law enforcement and or big cities that are that are so big and so busy with homicides and other crimes they don't have time to pay attention to it. So it's not surprising to me, based upon my experience, that she hasn't been contact at this point. But podcasts like what you guys are doing and immediate type of attention that you guys are giving to this case. And again, like I talked about earlier, doing a fresh, updated image, it gives the public, It gives the media something to look at, something to see, something visual, and now there's a reason to tell her story, there's a reason to get eyes back on, there's a reason to bring it around. You know, sometimes it takes a fresh set of eyes, and people like yourself, they're really enthusiastic about it because I think sometimes again and when law enforcement gets overwhelmed, they're almost in a trios situation. And in some cases, you know, it's sad to say, you know, most professions where there's a lot of high trauma, they see a lot of things where there's doctors, emergency or in personnelity, costs, fronment. We become jaded after a while, and it kind of affects, you know, how the enthusiasm which we approach certain types of investigations and cases. And again, you know, I think if you talk to anybody in the media that's going to be honest about it when they talk about missing persons cases and why indigenous people and marginalized communities and such don't get the attention that people feel they deserve. It's because a lot of cases, unfortunately, maybe the facts aren't as riveting and or would not get the ratings as some other really oddball murder. I mean, look at the success you guys had with the don't mess with caps catch You title compelling material. But at the same time, if it wasn't for you guys, nobody would have really paid attends to really cared. So, you know, kudos to you guys, and hopefully you guys will have the kind of success you enjoyed.
Speaker 10: The previous case on this one without without a murder happening.
Speaker 9: With the ideal, without a murder happening, it would be ideal. And anytime you can avoid a murder, it's always.
Speaker 11: Feel trust me.
Speaker 10: I mean, I'm not trying to joke about it, but yeah, without a murder, having the idea, No, you're right, it's the circumstances surrounding a lot of these missing murdered Indigenous people.
Speaker 2: Are just sad circumstances.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 10: They're not necessarily quote unquote entertainment, right, It's just sad.
Speaker 1: When I talked to Shakai's mom. I can't help but be reminded of my own mother. I was born in Detroit, and I lived in Detroit till I was about eleven years old. And then when I was eleven, my family, my mom and my brother and I moved to southern California. And I lived in Southern California till I was about twenty two, and then I moved to Las Vegas. So I grew up with like a really like wide range of cultures, right Like I grew up on the Midwest, and then I grew up on the you know, southern California, and then I went, you know, straight to Vegas. So I kind of have a Hodgepodge in my background. Where I moved to in southern California was like a beach town, so it was one hundred percent culture shock. You know. I had never seen the ocean and big, huge waves and you know, in the eighties it was like totally tubular and like that was all totally new for me.
Speaker 8: And then Vegas.
Speaker 7: Did you go there for work or what brought you to.
Speaker 1: That's a hard story to tell. My mom moved to Las Vegas with my little brother when I was eighteen, and I tried to stay in California as long as I could. But you know, I was young, trying to put my way through college and working and then getting laid off and working and going to school, and it was just so hard to do by myself in a really really like cost prohibitive area of the country. And so I just I kind of wanted. Something happened, and we can get into it. It kind of goes into some other things about me, but something happened, and I just I really wanted my mommy. And I know that sounds crazy, but my mom and I were Excuse me, my mom and I were like super close. I missed my mom. Hold on, I'm totally okay. So in twenty twenty seventeen, my mom was diagnosed to it colon cancer, and it got to the point where she couldn't take care of herself anymore, and she moved in with me, and I ended up, you know, well, of course I have to work, you know, working and taking being her caregiver, and like during my whole filming of Don't f with Cats and you know everything, I was in the middle of being this caregiver for my mom, and that was in twenty eighteen. It came out in twenty nineteen, and she died shortly after. She died right at the beginning of COVID. She didn't die from COVID, she died from cancer. But yeah, no, she passed. It's okay, I mean we were like incredibly close.
Speaker 6: So that was hard.
Speaker 1: I totally lost myself and her illness, you know, like I gained a bunch of weight. I didn't care about like what I looked like. I mean, I was just so busy with her care. You know, I didn't have a social life. I lost, you know, my fiance at the time left because it was just too much. Like her care was so hard and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I'm not complaining, like I would do it a hundred times over, but it was just so hard. And then all of a sudden, she's gone, and it was like, okay, now what you know, Like shit, I because I had lost myself in her so I totally like kind of figure out who I was again. And I'm just now two years later getting to that point where I'm like, okay, now I remember who I was and talking with Tamara a lot of the times I think about my mom. And obviously my mom did not have a missing daughter. I mean that, you know, never happened. But my mom had a super hard life, like a super fucking hard life. I feel like that she experienced the same kind of hardships, and so I have a lot of empathy for her, and I feel like this really like parasocial relationship with her, Like I feel close to her for some reason. And it might be because I'm you know, missing my mom. I don't know, but yeah, I definitely have a lot of empathy for her, a lot.
Speaker 6: A couple days later, we got the photos of Shakaia. In this first photo, Shakya looks innocently at the camera, her hand pushing her long brown hair behind her ear.
Speaker 1: And in the other photo she's grinning at the camera. But I have to say she looks absolutely beautiful in both photos, Like can't I can't convey to the audience how beautiful she is. The producers at Katie Studios are going to share this on their Instagram at Kati Underscore Studios.
Speaker 7: Get even.
Speaker 1: It's Mike, Hi, Mike, It's Diana, Hey Deanna, how are you? I'm awesome, how are you?
Speaker 7: Well? You know, it's hard to beat, but I'm doing pretty well.
Speaker 1: I have the photos from the family. Is it okay if I send them to you?
Speaker 10: Now?
Speaker 7: Sure?
Speaker 1: All right, Michael, I have your email. I saved it last time we talked. Chicaia bluehearting is the subject? All right, I'm gonna send them, right Neil, all right, cool, I sent them.
Speaker 4: A matter of fact, your email just came through. Let me take a look at these, all right, cool, I'm looking.
Speaker 7: At both pictures here. Let me open up this other one. I'm looking to see what image size they are.
Speaker 4: The very first one where she's in a white top, it's almost a full face picture. That's like four inch by four inch, which that's not too bad a size, and a lot of the graininess.
Speaker 7: It's not as grainy as when you were describing.
Speaker 4: I thought it was gonna be like horrible. It's not bad at all, Ash, I'll probably give yeah. And as a matter of fact, this other one is going to be okay. This one's thirteen by seventeen, so this is all right. This is this is a bigger file. So probably what I'm going to do. First of all, you know, if she.
Speaker 7: Has this youthful look, she's probably not going to like, you know, how long she's been missing. Nowt four years.
Speaker 1: She's been missing four years, and she will be So she went missing when she was nineteen, so she'd be twenty three.
Speaker 7: Now I'll have to turn these photos.
Speaker 4: I'll rotate them and crop them and get them all lined up and such, and get that Facebook back together, because I only have like I've got on the one I've got I'm missing just the top of the head just a little bit, and then the other one I've got the full face, but I really I kind of want to put her smile on that on the on the one where she's got the white, put the middle of her face in that because there's more of her hair in fullness and such.
Speaker 7: I'll look and see. The other thing is.
Speaker 4: Does mom have any pictures of herself at twenty two? I can ask there's a couple of reasons why is it. One, if she resembles either one of the parents a lot. I can skew that towards if I have pictures of the parents at twenty two, then kind of put her in the aging it's one thing, and then kind of giving it that lifestyle look in terms of if I have to you know, holler her cheeks out a little bit, or make her eyes look a little more tired and stuff because of the lifestyle she's probably living.
Speaker 1: And she's got like a really unique like nose and cheap cheeks and stuff. I think. And I mean, she's just a beautiful, beautiful girl, and she has got really long black hair. But there have been there was one sighting of her about a year after she went missing that set her hair. She was wearing her hair short. That they didn't say, but I did read though that victims of human traffic often have their identity stripped from them. And one of the ways that you that you strip the identity from a woman as you cut their hair. Right, So I don't know, like today, obviously I have no idea what her hair looks like, but it might be shorter than this, you know, long black hair that she usually wears.
Speaker 4: Well, that's the cool thing about digital is that I can actually, once I work on the face, I can give her a couple of three different hairstyles.
Speaker 7: Oh that'd be great, Yeah, you can.
Speaker 4: You can give there's a you know, you could take the chopped off hair, maybe the hair pulled back, the ponytail and or maybe just it long but maybe not so fine.
Speaker 7: Maybe it'll frizzy, a little rough looking, maybe something like that.
Speaker 1: Oh, that would be wonderful. That way they can use, you know, several different ones that they're like, this is a possibility, this is a possibility. This that would be fabulous. Mom would really love that.
Speaker 4: I don't believe in doing too many because I think what happens is is people take it literally and they think that they think they're looking for ten different people. But I think you know, if you have a couple different choices for them to look at, you know, again your relative to this sighting, the possible sighting, her hair was significantly shorter. You can do that and maybe something pulled back, because again you want people looking at the face, and that the short hair and the hair pulled back, it forces people to focus on the face because she's not likely to have some big bluffont and some big giant hair dude like eighties hair, you know where you just all you look at is damn that hair. Look at that hair.
Speaker 7: I mean, I'd love to have hair like that versus looking at her face.
Speaker 1: Okay, I like that. No, I think that's really smart. See, there's a reason you're an expert. All right, buddy, I really appreciate you and all your.
Speaker 7: Time you as well, and I'll be in touch soon.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, cool, okay, thanks byee.
Speaker 6: Let's stop here for a break. We'll be back in a moment.
Speaker 1: After everything happened in twenty twelve, when Luca murdered Jenlyn, I went to therapy because I needed somebody to talk to. And I was in therapy for months. And you have to remember this is back in twenty twelve, this is many, many years ago. And my therapist was like, you know, I really want to test you for Aspergers. And I was like what.
Speaker 8: I was so offended.
Speaker 1: Well, I never went back to her after that. I was so offended. So after my mom died in twenty twenty, I had to go to therapy. My whole life was upended when my mom died, like totally upended. And she was like, you know, I want to test you for autism spectrum disorder. And I was like what the same thing right? And I explained to her, you know, listen, in twenty twelve, they wanted to test me for Aspergers, and now you want to test me for autism, Like what the you know, and I went through all the testing, they talked all my family. I mean, it was like it was exhausting. But let me tell you something. After I got my die diagnosis, I have autism. Because I was very upset when I got my diagnosis. I mean I was, you know, I was upset because I was like, you know, what could I have been? What could I have become in my life had I got diagnosed at an early age? What could I have become if I had been given tools to handle these things? Like how would I be successful? Would I be? Like And it's funny too. My therapist was telling me one of the symptoms or you know, offshoots of autism is this sense of justice. Part of the spectrum is the inability to accept injustice, like we just can't deal with the unfairness of injustice. And I never knew that before. And when she told me that, I was like, are you kidding me? And she was like yeah, I couldn't believe it. Literally, I'm not even kidding you. I felt like the clouds parted and the birds started singing, and I was like, Okay, this all makes sense. You know. It made me feel good, made me feel good, so and of course, you know, I don't believe anybody. So I got home and I was like googling right away asd justin, you know, but yeah, I couldn't believe it. But when I first got the diagnosis, I had this thing in my head. It's so silly, like rain Man. That was my understanding of autism. Like I was ignorant, I had no idea. But I've come to the conclusion, like where I am now is not like in spite of my autism, it's because of it. It makes me unique to be where I'm at. You know, I can do anything. This isn't really going to hold me back, like and it makes me uniquely qualified, you know, in certain aspects that make me really unique. So it's not necessarily a bad thing at all, but it took me a while to get there.
Speaker 6: While we work to pursue a few other leads and chase down information on both Chicaia and Jared's case, SketchCop was able to provide some insight into its process.
Speaker 4: Have a listen, Okay, so it's asked to create an age progression of Chakaia. This is actually going to be an image update. Shakai has been missing for four years, and I didn't really feel that that was enough time to show any sort of aging. And typically with adults, you know, you reach a certain apex in aging and then you start to go downhill, as they say, you know, the face starts showing signs of age. You know, lines start to develop, you know, skin gets a little bit rougher, there's some sag here and there. So I think because of what was described as possibly a harmful lifestyle and or being the victim of human trafficking, which that sort of lifestyle, you know, being shuttled from city to city, country to country, you know, having a poor diet, not no access to medical treatment, that's going to accelerate the aging a little bit. What I wanted to do is make these facial features in his face a little brighter, a little crisper. I work in photoshop a loze. They've got a lot of neural type of filters now, and one of them is like a color corrector a photo fixer, and that would allowed me to work on an image and retouch that photo. It takes the picture and reassemble the pixels and stitch them together in such a way that you get a clear, crisper picture. So I source other photos to use in these image updates and such, and you want to find a pose is consistent with the picture. So at the same time, I wanted to get as much of her face looking forward to increase the opportunity for identifications. I can change the gaze of her eyes easily as well. But now we've got pretty much a full facial image. A little bit just a small degree of turning there, but this will help me find more easily find I should say, a suitable hairstyle and a suitable reference picture to integrate into her face, to show some of the wear and tear the lifestyle has. Now that I've got the clarity I want in the picture and the gaze that I want, now I'm going to go ahead and I'm going to grab some references as well, an updated neckline, maybe some eyebrows that aren't as well groomed, and so these are some of the elements, and I could use more, but these are the ones that I'm going to start with. You know, once I put the puzzle together, then it's a matter of making sure all the pieces fit well. And I'm like a puzzle which has all these lines between the pieces. We want to smooth those lines out so it looks like a regular picture of her. And I think the last thing I want to bring is this face. I found a very similar shape face. I'm not so concerned about the mouth, but the eyes look pretty good. The nose, I don't think we're using nose. We're gonna use some of the lines and cheek bones and such and kind of the shrunkening face just a bit. There's lots of cleanup in here to do, and a lot of digital painting and a lot of erasing and color matching and making sure that everything fits properly. So I'll go around typically and let me go ahead and pick a brown color, like a dark brown from her eyes there and through with the pencil tool, and I will just kind of work around and just kind of give more definition to her face.
Speaker 1: There's so many different reasons I have for doing what I do, And I mean, this isn't something I share often, and I've never talked about it publicly, but my therapist has been on my ass to do so. But I had my own situation in nineteen ninety four, when I was like twenty two. I was the victim of an assault and it was a sexual assault and I never did anything about it. I was I felt shame. And again, this is a different time, right, my family didn't live in the area I was living. I was embarrassed. I thought that I had done it to myself.
Speaker 10: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like this, somehow this is my fault. I never went to the authorities. I never told my friends, like I never talked about it. And it's always been there in the back of my head, you know what I mean, Like I do think shaped my outlook on like getting justice. It's just now I know, you know, because I've gotten confidence and you know, times have changed and everything. I know that I did nothing wrong. I know that now, But back then I felt so much shame. It this was all my fault. I promise, I'm fine. I promise. I think it really has shaped me. It's just another brick, right, It's another brick in that wall of who I am. Bad shit happens to everybody, and again, it's not my fault. And I don't have any you know, resentment of myself. I wish I would have done something, but I'm not. You know, I'm not blaming myself anymore, and that's great, But it took me a long time to get there. And so like when I when I, especially with Shakaya, right, I feel I wasn't certainly in any way like Shakaia. I was totally different, but I feel she's a victim of the same kind of like system, but on a much bigger scale for her, right, And so I have like I feel, especially with Shakaiya and Tamera too, I feel like they need more voices.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 1: I don't think you have to be a victim of a sexual assault to have any like relatability with Shakaia, but I do think it helps, right, Like I'm sure John Green has just as much drive that eyes I do defind Shakaia, but I just think that's it's an additional spark, right, It's another match strike.
Speaker 2: We hear the term justice all the time.
Speaker 7: How do you define that?
Speaker 1: What's your version of that? When somebody pays the price for their wrongdoings and gives the victims a voice, that's justice to me. So, as Ketch Coop is working on our age progression photos, we got some unbelievable news that makes this work so gratifying and fulfilling. So it's Tuesday night, It's about ten thirty. I just got home. While I was out, I got an email from Shawnee, who is Kaya's sister. It's Consent and Information Form National Missing Person's DNA Database, and it's a statement of consent and privacy. So the FBI had been asking for Shakaia's father to sign a release saying that they could take possession of his DNA, and they're doing that. They already have the mothers. They're doing that because they don't have Shakaia's DNA and if she pops up somewhere in a hospital and she doesn't know who she is or God forbid, Jane Doe body that they need to identify, they need her DNA on file so that they can do a compare. So, according to Detective Fritz at the Elstone County Sheriff's Office, he had been trying to get in touch with the father for quite some time to get this DNA form signed. I got an email from Shawnay it is the form signed by her father, and I'm overjoyed. And I texted John Green immediately and I'm like, you're not gonna believe this, This could find her. Like I was emotional and calmed down a little bit since then, but I'm still kind of shaky.
Speaker 6: But getting an updated sketch of Shakaia wasn't the only good news we got.
Speaker 1: While I was about to start working, I went online and I saw something that got us very excited. Three law enforcement sources on Monday night confirmed to News for Jacks that there has been a major development in the twenty twenty two murder investigation of Jared Bride, again, a father of four. These sources each confirmed that arrest related to the case will be made and announced on Wednesday. Okay, so Wednesday, that's wow. I think they found the Ford F one fifty, right, Okay, And I think they found the Ford F one fifty from.
Speaker 6: The tire that would be the connection point, right.
Speaker 1: Right, like the batch and the lot and all that, right. Yeah, they traced it to where it was sold and then went through records maybe, and then from there they found they also have DNA, possibly from the showcasing, but no match. Let's say they find the owner of the F one fifty, they follow this person around I don't know whatever, get trash and they make a match. The one thing I don't know is tomorrow when somebody's arrested, is it's somebody that like, we've never heard this person's name, you know, and they were like hired by somebody, do you know what I mean? But I was thinking about, let me call Chris. So there's tomorrow at noon Florida time, Eastern Standard time, there's going to be a press conference from the District Attorney and the police department, and they're supposed to be announcing an arrest in this case. And I'm fascinated by that. And the reason I wanted to talk to you, Chris Salgado, was just to get your I mean, John Green, are John Green? And I are so like knee deep in the weeds sometimes that you know, sometimes it's hard to see the forest through the trees, right, Okay, So they are announcing this arrest, and I'm like, I don't remember any other time when the case was like we're going to be arresting somebody tomorrow. So I started thinking, like, Okay, why would they announce that?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 1: It seems calculated to me that they would announce that. What do you guys think about that?
Speaker 11: So I've never been law enforcement before twenty one years as an investigator, but never on the law enforcement side. Always the private sector. So I can't speak on behalf of any law enforcement experience. But you know, I too find that's always unusual or maybe not unusual. But I always challenge why police officialsts do that. And I don't want to say, you know, I'm second guests law second guests in law enforcement. They know what they're doing, but it is curious to me when sometimes when they do something like that.
Speaker 1: But do the cops do that on purpose?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 1: Like shit, I got to dispose of the murder weapon and then follow them? Do you know what I mean to get that evidence like that kind of and that when I say calculated, that's what I mean. Like they're under surveillance, they're going to be arrested tomorrow, let's announce it and see what they do. Is it possible that they are working like the person that they're going to be arresting is like cooperating and they're just giving this person, like you know, two days or whatever to wrap things up. Like I don't know, I just John, what do you think? John Green? Do you what do you think about that?
Speaker 8: Well?
Speaker 2: What I think right now is that we're very excited because we've been talking about Jared and his case and today's a big announcement.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I agree with you. We are this is all speculation one hundred percent, and that's what we do, right. This is that goes without saying we don't one hundred percent. And these they know what they're doing. But I just feel like this this move of announcing a rest twenty four hours, you know, twenty after thirty hours or so before it happens, it's there's a reason normally they would just arrest them and say the arrest has been made exactly.
Speaker 11: Yeah, And that's when we get into the idea of you know, for those that have engaged with law enforcement, you know that's in some capacity, right, that really kind of enters into the intuitive as far as like what we know their methodology to be. As I mentioned before, but you know, I fear I can't for really value in that have the experience as a law enforcement officer, but just as a you know, sure I've been investing here for a long time as an individual looking in from the outside, it definitely strikes me as odd. And you know, the idea is when you just said, you know, is cooperate trying to appease something I don't know, But what I do know is that and rest on this right And sure surely you and your listeners can can remember this that the fact that law enforcement knows a hell of a lot more than we do, and we can take solids that their movements are well calculated.
Speaker 1: Right. Another theory that I read today was that they announced it to see if the person runs, because if the person runs, they won't get bonded. But if the person that is arrested has money, this will be a reason, not that this person wouldn't be released. The reason I wanted to have this phone call before tomorrow is just kind of to see if is to see if we're on the right track. Right.
Speaker 11: Yep, there's a lot of damning statements out there, are really pointing fingers at Shanna. You know, we US three have never springboarded or joined that kind of bandwagon. I'm not saying I deny that, but I don't really share. I don't really have evidence.
Speaker 2: Community.
Speaker 1: There is no evidence of it. Yeah, there's no evidence of it none.
Speaker 11: What's going to go down tomorrow, It's gonna be very.
Speaker 7: Good morning.
Speaker 4: Thank you for being here today.
Speaker 9: My name is Jean Paul Smith, and I'm the chief of Police.
Speaker 1: Yo, dude, I've been waiting all night for this. I hope it's not Shanna.
Speaker 7: Oh.
Speaker 6: I don't think it's her because she's out about doing normal things.
Speaker 1: I just, you know, ultimately the kids, right Like I was thinking about this last night. It would just be terrible for those kids. They just lost their dad, you know now, you know what I mean, that would be just awful. Oh, here we go, It's it's life.
Speaker 7: Here we are. This is the moment.
Speaker 6: If you're an armchair detective or internet sleuth, this is the thing you're waiting to hear and see. You spent the last what several six seven weeks looking into Jared, and now we're going to find out.
Speaker 1: Imagine Jared's family right now though, like they must be so Oh, there's Kirsten.
Speaker 4: This was a plan and targeted and.
Speaker 1: They still said it was planned and targeted.
Speaker 4: Just under an hour ago, this man, Henry Tennen, was arrested.
Speaker 1: For the following crime Henry Tennan.
Speaker 4: Conspiracy to commit murder.
Speaker 1: Right the attorney's getting up to the attorney, I'll look at Kirsten. Oh my heart.
Speaker 3: In order to protect the integrity of this ongoing and active investigation, the state was obtained a court order sealing Tenan's arrest weren't and outidated for.
Speaker 5: The next thirty days.
Speaker 10: Shit.
Speaker 3: However, I will briefly discuss the four crimes for which Tenon has been arrested.
Speaker 1: They're sealing these the arrests weren't. Oh my god, Okay, so grand jury's going to be sealed.
Speaker 7: Ah.
Speaker 4: That was a quick and short, straight to the point.
Speaker 1: Okay, So here's what we know Henry Tennan. They arrested Henry Tennin. They said it was conspiracy to commit murder and then also accessory after the fact, correct, and then child abuse because his daughter. Now, all signs point to him conspiring with somebody that we don't know yet, right, So kind of like I said last night, it's going to be somebody we don't know. But I was wrong. I thought they had I thought they would have had the FORDA f what' and fifty honestly, And I thought that because of what Kirsten said when we talked to her, when we asked her, do they have the four foot fifteen? She was like radio silence? Remember, yeah, So that's interesting. That is very interesting. So do we think that this Henry Tennan might have been hired by somebody.
Speaker 6: That's my that's my initial like he's somehow connected to it. But the police chief said they're looking for other people too and asking the right the public to come forward with any information. So it sounds like they're other individuals than wolved.
Speaker 1: Correct, that's what I'm gathering. Maybe this guy will talk, you know what I mean. And the other thing we learned too in this is that the arrest warrant is going to be sealed for thirty days and it's going to be taken in front of a grand jury, which is you know, that's all that's always sealed, I guess is the right way to say it. It's always you can't read. So that's a bummer that we're not going to be able to get the search warrant or the arrest warrant, you know, or the probable cause, the reasons.
Speaker 5: I want to know where Henry Ken lives.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, let's go look. Let me look him up, all right, Jacksonville Beach. He's sixty one years old. He resides in Jacksonville, Florida. Here's his phone number, his email address. So excellent is that? Yeah, I've got everything. I'll send you the info. Okay, i'd like to see his arrest history to see if he's done carjacking in the past. Yeah right, all right, so last named tennon Henry. Let's just do that case type. This looks like it's more civil court. The fuck here we go. So this is today.
Speaker 8: Criminal traffic? What's this one? Twenty sixteen, twenty twenty two, this has got to be it.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, go back.
Speaker 8: Tennon Henry.
Speaker 1: Leaving the scene of an accident twenty twenty two. He left the scene of a crime or no, I'm sorry, leaving the scene of an accident.
Speaker 8: All right, look at the searge.
Speaker 1: Results in twenty sixteen driving while licenses suspended or revoked and he used somebody else's license plate. Two thy thirteen, Oh, domestic battery okay, two thousand and eight operating wild driver's license revoked for habitual traffic offender. He left the scene of an accident again, license suspended, license suspent. Wow, he's got his license suspended like all the time. So all his court records so far are leaving the scene of an accident, domestic battery, and driving with.
Speaker 8: A suspended license.
Speaker 1: Looks think he has an open case right now and his next court date is for January thirty first driving while license is suspended or revoked. He also had the possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. Whoa, So wait a minute, this is in September of twenty twenty two of this year. Yeah, he was, that's when he was arraigned.
Speaker 5: So they arrested him.
Speaker 2: When they took him in cusseyed.
Speaker 1: He had a weapon on Here we go, Yeah, it happened in August of twenty twenty two.
Speaker 5: That gun matched the shell case.
Speaker 1: Right, So I'm gonna print this, okay, so we have it save and I'm gonna call this current case because that's it's still open.
Speaker 8: Henry tennin All right, let me upload these.
Speaker 1: Okay, So there's two new files that you can look at. Let's stop here for another quick break.
Speaker 6: So as soon as this press conference ended, Deanna and I got back to doing what we do, which is digging up new information, and discovered that Henry Tennant, the person just arrested for Jared's death, his landlord up until mid February last year, just happened to be Mario Fernandez, Shanna Gardner's new husband.
Speaker 1: And I'm going to tell you right now, our heads are exploding. This connection, which might just be a coincidence. This brought the murder even closer to Jared's ex wife, Sheena. This morning, I woke up to another Google alert, obviously, and the alert was that Henry Tennan was in court today for his first appearance and they write his charges and you know he's been you know, bond. So then I went and looked at the court records and he filed for indigent status, okay, and he was granted. And did you know, I don't know what that means, Like I think that means he needs a public defender, right exactly, you have to.
Speaker 2: Meet a certain criteria in order being unless you have to provide one for your own right.
Speaker 1: And then the other link that Google sent me was a news article, and I updated the timeline and put all the links in there and everything from First Coast News who said they did an interview with the roommate. And this is what this is where it gets interesting. This is what I want to talk to you about. The roommate said, Henry moved out in February of two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the incident with Jarrett happened on the sixteenth.
Speaker 1: That's up everywhere.
Speaker 2: Usually usually people statedly end of the month to move out right.
Speaker 1: Right, Wow, I'm thinking it happened at the beginning of February, and I'm thinking that Mario and Henry thought, well, if you move out before you do it, nobody's going to be able to link us, right because you've been renting this for me privately. There's no company and well, you know what I mean. Mario thought, Okay, well this won't be an issue. They're not going to be able to link us. You don't live there anymore exactly. So I thought that was interesting. And then the roommate went on to say that since October the cops have been there several times with search warrants, looking for guns and cars and other evidence. But he didn't know why. The roommate he didn't know what what for. He just knew they had search warrants. So that's interesting. Guess when Henry's going to be arraigned.
Speaker 2: Thirty first or the sixteenth of February.
Speaker 1: Sixteenth of February. Holy cow, that's going to be a big isn't that something?
Speaker 5: I mean?
Speaker 1: Isn't that now?
Speaker 7: Listen?
Speaker 1: It could change, right, those kinds of things change. Yeah, But when I read that, I got the chill. I was like, what, I went to the court website and it was right there, February sixteenth.
Speaker 2: I was like, what, I'm sure that was done on firstpace as a nice book ending, right.
Speaker 1: I also added like the exf grab of the Kawi trip that so Shelley posted because I thought that was interesting. She posted that post right at like the same time Jared was getting murdered. It was just really weird. So, and I'm looking at I'm looking at these pictures of the post in Kawhi right now. I don't know when they went to Kauai. I don't that I don't know. It just says our annual trip to Kawhi was awesome. But there's no information on like when they were actually there. But I'm looking at pictures of like Mario and Shanna app in Kauai, and I'm looking at Mario and I'm like, that little shit knew this was coming, like because obviously this is prior to his murder, right, yeah, but I mean he was he hadn't planned by the time this trip was done. Like, I don't know. It just makes me sick, right, it just makes me sick. I mean, he's got a couple of uys. You know, Yeah, no news from Mario that I've seen at all. And I went through I've already gone through all his records. He just has like speeding tickets and stuff.
Speaker 2: I think they're just sitting on him, waiting for him to do their own move.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think that's why they announced it. I really do to see what he does or what or what she does right or both. Her Her mom posted yesterday that she received a beautiful card in the mail from like the stamping up people. But so I'm assuming she's home. A yeah, that's like. One of the first places I went this morning was to her mom's blog. I mean, I'm a nosy bitch. I wake up in the morning. I wake up in the morning, I get my coffee, I sit down, I read my Google alert, and I.
Speaker 2: Go and look, Welcome to the life of John and Deianna.
Speaker 1: All right, it's Friday morning. I'm gonna start going through some Facebook posts on Henry Tennon just to I don't know, I just still have a feeling we're gonna be able to find this blue Florida f one fifty connected to him somehow. So I'm gonna go to it just just friends, and I'm gonna type in ten and in the back, just to look for people that are related. All Right, we have a Dwight. Let's go to his photos. Nothing there, videos, nothing there, posts. This looks like maybe it's a cousin or a brother. It's that same age range. All right, he's just he plays a bunch of games and that's like his whole Facebook feed. Okay, Lawrence Crane. His photo is a car, so he probably has cars and his Let's go to him photos. No, foe fifty.
Speaker 8: What's this?
Speaker 1: That's a four one fifty But it's like pimped out. Looks really nice. It's definitely not it Johnny tennon all right. He looks like maybe a brother or cousin. All right, so let's go to photos. He's got a picture of a white.
Speaker 8: Is that a caddy?
Speaker 11: Maybe?
Speaker 8: Okay, it's got a videos. Oh my god, there's a blue Ford f one fifty in the driveway. Holy shit.
Speaker 1: Okay, wait a minute, hold on, that doesn't mean anything. This guy lives in Georgia. But I'm saving this. Okay, blue Ford. Let me make a it's not really a good angle of it, alright. Let me I gotta log this, Okay, let me get my spreadsheet. I should have done this beforehand. I wasn't prepared. He's got a couple of videos and they're all outside, like in his like kind of driveway.
Speaker 8: Let's see this one. This is twenty nineteen.
Speaker 7: Huh.
Speaker 1: There it is that looks like that looks like the exact car. Okay, I gotta save this, Lily Crapple save blue Ford F one. I gotta send this to JG right now. All right, so let me see let me text him. All right, Okay, I'm freaking out. I need to relax a little bit because it doesn't mean anything. All right, let me go to Google. Matt well, let me go run a report on him.
Speaker 8: He lives in Georgia. There he is. Copy save.
Speaker 1: Johnny tennin Alrightmaps dot Google, let me copy that address.
Speaker 8: All right, let's go to the street view.
Speaker 1: Oh there it is.
Speaker 8: On the street view.
Speaker 1: Holy shit.
Speaker 8: I send this to JG right now.
Speaker 1: I should not have done this, because now I'm like, I need somebody to talk to and I have nobody to talk to. Oh somebody else found it too. Oh fuck, somebody else found it on Reddit.
Speaker 8: John just sent it to me. I woke up and started going through his friends.
Speaker 1: Alright, let me go read this redd thread. M somebody posted it on Reddit fifteen hours ago. Okay, I'm just here to give kudos cause I tried fighting it on Google Street with all his known addresses and work, but no success. I'm assuming the cops have found the truck by now at his relatives. Can you tell what you're it wouldn't hurt to call the police. I wonder if anybody did. Okay, let me go look Ford f one fifty Jared Bride again two thousand and four to two thousand and eight. So I wonder if I should call the cops. I feel stupid calling them if somebody else already did. Let's see no indication if he called the cops in this thread. Intelligent Basil forty three, you and I are soul sisters here, all right? I should have looked on Reddit first. God dang it. Oh well, I didn't take that long. I mean, this is probably a really common truck, right, but I still think I should tell Jack's police, which I'm gonna do. You can find the information on the relatives' Facebook page at.
Speaker 7: Here.
Speaker 6: Copy.
Speaker 1: You have to watch the video by watching the video here. And then I got the address for this person, Johnny Tennin located here and Google map street View has an image of this blue Ford F one F in the drive way. Let me get that and this is back in twenty thirteen, so that puts it in line with that truck year. The image from Google Maps is from twenty thirteen, which is in line with the year of truck you are seeking in the Jared Bridegan murder. After Henry Tennan's arrest, John and our producer Andrews spoke to Kirsten. Jared's wife.
Speaker 6: Kirsten told us, ever since Mario was arrested, it's been very hard for her, both physically and mentally.
Speaker 3: And we can understand that I had a migraine for a couple of days and just like barely coming down off of one. So it's just manifested itself physically in some strange ways that I wasn't expecting.
Speaker 5: But otherwise, I mean, we're good. You know, it's a good step forward, it's a positive thing.
Speaker 3: It's just a lot. And we were informed a little bit ahead of time that an arrest was coming, and thankfully they granted my request to see the photo of the person prior to the press conference. So I had to kind of keep it under wraps from my family and friends. But then Monday hit and somebody apparently leaked it to the press. So things just got crazy a lot earlier than I had expected. You know, Monday night, Instagram was blowing up, Facebook was blowing up.
Speaker 5: People were messaging me, is this true?
Speaker 9: Is this true?
Speaker 5: And I just didn't open messages. It was it was too much.
Speaker 3: Plus I couldn't say anything, So I still have a lot of messages I haven't responded to. But yeah, it just it's been a circus for a week. And then Wednesday morning, obviously, was the press conference that I attended in person along with my brother, two brother.
Speaker 5: In laws, and one of their wives, when.
Speaker 3: It was announced that they found an individual involved in Jared's murder. He was charged with four separate things, one being conspiracy to commit murder, which indicates there are more than one person involved in the state attorney herself stated, we know that, you know, Henry Tennant did not act alone, so we know more things are coming. How soon, I'm not sure, but the fact that the arrest warrant and the affidavit is sealed for thirty days, if you believe that puts it at the twenty sixth of February, makes me believe that there's obviously a reason it's sealed, and I would assume it means it has stuff in it that relates to other people.
Speaker 5: So I would assume based on that that more arrests will come.
Speaker 1: Before then more on that next time.
Speaker 6: True Crimes is executive produced by Stephanie Leidecker, Gianna Thompson, Courtney Armstrong, Jeff Shane, Andrew Arnaut, and me John Green. Additional producing by Connor Powell and Gabe Castile, Editing by Jeff Tah Music by vanikor Music.
Speaker 1: True Crimes is a production of iHeartRadio and Katie Studios. For more podcasts from my heart Radio, please visit the iHeartRadio app Apple Podcasts wherever you listen to your favorite shows.