Speaker 1: Welcome in Commander's Family to Command Center Saturday Night Live Special from Arizona. We're out in backyard in Phoenix, and if y'all can see what I can see right now, and it.
Speaker 2: Feels like.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes sir, Yes, yes sir, yes sir, it feels like we are at the crib because we are surrounded by burgundy and gold. Faithful they traveled all this way to gum be here and kicking with us tonight before a huge game against the Arizona Cardinals.
Speaker 2: The first days.
Speaker 1: First, give a round the applause for y'all for being here. Yes, thank y'all. Yes, we cannot do these things if it's not for y'all. Shout out to Rally Captain for setting all of this up. Again, shout out to Backyard out in Phoenix for hosting us. We are out here now. Before we get started, I want you guys to know we like the fan interaction. Okay, So if you have questions, it's gonna be hard. If y'all yell it, I'm not gonna be able to hear it. So what I want y'all to do, My producer, Maddy Betton, the lovely lady right over here, will fild y'all questions for this hold over there whispering in let therm know what questions you guys have, or on Twitter used hashtag left hand up and leave us your questions and we'll answer them.
Speaker 2: Live on this show. That's cool. That's cool.
Speaker 1: All right, Now to introduce the reasons why y'all are here. First days, First mister eight to the nine, one of the receivers that revolutionize the game, Sad tannam Off, give.
Speaker 2: It up, give it up, give it up. Yes.
Speaker 1: And then to the far right, Super Bowl champion, one of the greatest to ever do it, future Hall of Famer Brian Mitchell, give it.
Speaker 2: I'm giving it yes. Oh my gosh, guys, I love the energy man. Have y'all filled this in Phoenix with folk?
Speaker 3: Hey man, Phoenix, not in Phoenix home. I'm loving it so well. Ober, I'm like, damn.
Speaker 1: So, if y'all are familiar with how we do Saturday that live before we get it, say any type of football conversation. Because we have legends here, we'd like to take a walk down memory lane. So what I do is I ask these guys memories from whatever place we're in, So Fellas, what memories come to mind when you think about playing hand Phoenix.
Speaker 2: I think the first one stands out to me is I think my first year here in five we had a game up here. I'm not sure what game it was, but I remember I think I broke one of my fingers in the game, and I walked back to the huddle and I kind of like, you know, normally how you wipe your hand off on the towel, And I went to wipe my hand off and I realized it was out of place, so I snapped it back in place. And the next play I go, I run a scene down the middle of the field and I'm thinking, I'm like, well, I ain't getting the ball, and the ball come and I caught the ball and I'm like, damn, I got to go and tape his finger up. I'm glad I made the catch, but that was like one of my finest memories after we won that game, man, but just knowing that, you know, I remember we had a guy named Taylor Jacobs. He was not on the receiver, and he saw me go through that in the huddle, like, bro, you just snapped your finger back in place and quart a thirty yard bomb, Like I'm like, bro, we got to go out here and do we gotta do. So that's one of the memories that you know, staying staying strong in my head about Phoenix.
Speaker 1: Even with nod fingers, you were still out there ball and man, we love to hear that, Brian Mitch, what about you?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 3: What I was a guy I want to be a little physical and one like Amadican brothers tried to tackle me and I disocated his shoulder. I returned the touchdown for kickoff return. I also returned to play return in this town. When I came to Phoenix, I knew it was on the poppet like with like you know, I'm a golfer and I like the fast the Greeds grants their green and when I got on the football field, their feel was just like way like y'all golf. So I feel I was gonna be fast and if they kicked it off or they punning it, I'm gonna make him pay for it.
Speaker 2: Yes, there we go now, Feelers.
Speaker 1: It's very interesting this trip because the guys have been out here since the game against Cincinnati Bengals. They've been staying out here and Arizona bonding, getting working, going, getting working, at as U. How does that benefit a team of y'all seen think like this before, where a team spent the whole week out were they're about to play on the back to back.
Speaker 2: Well, I've had something similar. It wasn't the whole week. I remember we played on the West Coast. I was young. I was a little puff in New York. We actually had to beat Oakland in Oakland just to make it to the playoffs. We beat them, and instead of going home, we actually did go home, but we went home and came right back. We like literally went home, got our stuff and came right back. So that was like something similar to what this was like. But one of the things about that trip, it was all business, you know what I mean, And I think the thing that benefited us as players. We didn't win the playoff game, but I still got a breath of fresh air when it came to just having to deal with the day to day that we deal with at home, you know what I mean. Some of us have families, a lot of us have kids, and you deal with so much other than football when you're home. So being away and knowing you had a football game, just the football game to worry about, that was like a little refreshing moment, knowing that all I gotta do is come up here and play, go to practice, and come back to my room and get ready for tomorrow. You know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Well, teams have been doing it for years, and what they do if you think about it, if they had flown back to Washington, so you lose basically Monday and Tuesday you fly. If you have to fly here again, you miss two days by flying straight from Seattle, I mean from Cincinnati coming here, they only missed Tuesday.
Speaker 4: Basically Tuesday was their rest day. They get a rested every week.
Speaker 3: But the one thing I think about this coaches, like what control if you're not If all fifty the seventy guys are in one hotel, I could watch every one of them. They got security there, they can see where they are, they know what's happening. If I send all of you home every day, that's a problem. So I think it's a great thing because it got him here. And also this is this climbing is.
Speaker 4: Different than what it lives today, and you gotta get.
Speaker 3: Used to it. Like I played golf out here. I been down here since Wednesday. It's hot as heir out here. I can't use to this thing, man. So you know, one transfusion, two balls of one. One transfusion, two balls of one. So they figured out what they need to do all week. So the atmosphere is not gonna amaze them too much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fellas, it is definitely hot out here, but the fans is out here.
Speaker 2: They don't care.
Speaker 1: I don't need to see one of them little fans or nothing.
Speaker 2: Y'all are great, so fans.
Speaker 1: This is where we start getting into our actual masters. Switch you on to hear first, offensive defense, Offensive defense, offense. Well, if we're gonna talk offense, we gotta talk about Jaden Daniels off of a career game. He won NFC Offensive Player of the Week as a rookie.
Speaker 2: How great was it to see that and just continue to see Jayden and Daniel's development, You know what I mean? Honestly, going into that game last week, I'm not gonna sit here and say that I kind of had that feeling, but I did. I had a feeling that a guy, especially as Jaden from what we've just seen from practice and some of the things that we saw in the preseason, and then we one and then you saw what he did in week two. I had a feeling like that stage wasn't too big for him, you know, and that stage wasn't gonna be something that he was gonna sit there and have to think too hard about. He was gonna allow the game to come to him. And I think that's one of the things you saw from Jayden. He allowed the game to flow his way and every time that he had to make a play, he did just that. And so you know, I think it was great. Man. It's great for his mental it's great for the team. I think it was more special just to see these guys win in a shootout at somebody else's home. That's tough to do. I don't care where you at. You if you're in a shootout game and your defense at the end of the day, at one point they feel like they couldn't stop nothing. But they stopped enough for these guys to kick a field goal a couple of times, just to give you life to go back on the field and hold him up. Man, that was great. So going forward, man, you know, I think when you say you set the bar, they set the bar. Now, you know what I mean. I think the bar set this offense, this team. You want to expect these guys to go out there and not blink every time they want to feel and bemis a tennis point. He set that bar.
Speaker 1: How can he continue to elevate that bar against Arizona?
Speaker 4: Well, I think the thing about Jaane is Jaden is gonna be who he is.
Speaker 3: Just walked through. We sawed his mom, we met his dad before. Yes, that kid was raised to be this way. He is not overwhelmed by this thing. Like we in the NFL, we love the Washington you know, we love the commanders and all we think, oh, it's the biggest thing. He has been in moments where it's been a lot, a little bit hotter y. You know, he played at LSU where they had one hundred thousand people there. He played in Alabama when it was over nineties at that college atmosphere is crazy. But you watch him last week and everyone feels he's the guy. He proved he was the guy down the stretch when they had fourt to one, he looked like, let's go for this. He showed a confidence that I think every quarterback needs to do. I played quarterback in college. It's fought. I had fought in one fort to coach let's go for this thing. Because when you show your team you can get it done and you believe it, they are going to follow that. He did that time and time again, and then he got it, and then he.
Speaker 4: Threw balls to his other friends let them help him.
Speaker 3: I think when you get the right guy leading away and this dude here works his task off for the honest, Yes, he's a guy that goes out there and what you see now is not a not no luck thing.
Speaker 4: This is a product of a guy who puts the work in.
Speaker 3: And I think as long as that's going, he just has to keep being who he is. Don't try to be nobody special, don't got to be nobody else. Do what you do and let things happen. Because God gave him that talent. It's gonna take away.
Speaker 2: He's gotta use it. Command his family.
Speaker 1: Now, if you guys are having trouble hearing us, it's okay. Pull up Twitter, pull up YouTube, put the phone to your ear because we are streaming live right now. So if you're having issues, we know. We got the sorrows in the back. We know we are outside.
Speaker 3: I thought they were coming around.
Speaker 2: We're the fan right there listening. Man.
Speaker 1: We appreciate y'all so much for being here. Speaking of the fans, let's answer a fan question.
Speaker 2: Now. This is from hater Jason with Eckler.
Speaker 1: Jason, does Cliff stick with this scheme that he's been working so successfully and just use next man up with McNichols or does he risk making an adjustment to get other weapons more involved, such as a guy like Ben sit A great question, hated Jason.
Speaker 3: I believe McNichols is showing he's capable. I believe Center is shown he's capable. But what happens in his offense is they don't necessarily playing the Oh we gonna get the ball list guy that guy.
Speaker 4: They go through the thing and whoever gets it gets it.
Speaker 3: And I think what has to happen is that McNichols now has an opportunity. He needs to go in and show coach he I need to be getting more opportunities later on. Look, the NFL is a cutthrow business. You know, Austin is out. Austin has been great. I got my job because two guys got hurt, and my job was to make sure they never got a chance to play again.
Speaker 4: It sounds crazy, but that's what it is.
Speaker 3: And I think if mc nichols get out there and show what he's capable of, how he has a familiarity already with Adam Peters, so that's why he's here.
Speaker 4: Go out there and do what you do.
Speaker 3: You know, the whole thing about it is the next man up mentality is what you have to be. Everybody here is professional athletes. No one is not professional. So you get a chance go show what you're capable of so the coach can understand if something happens, I could always depend on the next guy.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that's a great, great question by hated Jason, But I also believe that it's gonna be something that I'm looking forward to seeing how they kind of counter off of how they've been doing things the last three weeks. I think we have enough guys in the building that we can go out there and show them a whole different other plan. You know, far as what we do in the run game, it should be a little more. I guess you could say run by committee when it comes to we have thunders still in the backfield? Do you have be robbing the backfield? But what folks try to realize last year be robbed, so everybody he can catch the football, so we can use be robbing that aspect of the game too. And now you trinkle in a guy like the kids bringing me in on some of those wide receivers slips and those motions and stuff flicking the ball, Matt Nicholas is he's shown that he's capable of going out there and handling the load. Also, that play he made on that that touchdown by Terry picking up that linebacker. Man, that alone is gonna give me that. Hey, you know what, you want a job, You're gonna you're gonna I'm gonna allow you to play any giving down. I desire you to be on the field because of what you showed me in the blocking game. If you can go out there and stick your naked in a linebacker's chest like that and protect your quarterback, you got a job with me. You're gonna always have opportunity to make plays. So Matt Nichols have shown the team that, Hey, you can trust in me, you can count on me. But I do believe it's gonna be a I guess you could say run by committee. We're gonna use who we got in the backfield more. We might trinkle him out there for some passes. We have Matt Nichols, we're bringing Rodrigers up, but we have these receivers that we do so much with in the passing game that's like little runs. Those slips raised are light runs. So be sure we're gonna use that a lot this week.
Speaker 1: And you talk about that next man of metality, you mentioned it, Chris Roderick has been called up from the practice squad.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: When we saw him play at the limited time last year, made plays strong, good man. How excited y'all to see Chris Rodrigue because you know they're not calling him up just to have him sit when they call guys up. We saw Andre Jones he called up last week. He's gonna play. Chris Rodriguez. How excited you to see him get some touches?
Speaker 3: I'm excited because what I want to see is when you get the opportunity to go out there and show what you're about, what you're gonna do.
Speaker 4: You know, that's the ultimate thing for me.
Speaker 3: And when you look at the Cardinals, their run defense is not very good and b Robber is a guy that, if you know, have a good run defense, he gonna make your hurt. Yes, And then you could bring in mc nichols and she and Sea Rod. Those guys are not small dudes. So if you we got thunderre we had thunder and lightning, you might have thun then thunder conn power dudes, because the ultimate thing is listen man, NFL is about opportunity. These guys getting the opportunity to pore. They're about and you can't feel bad if you go out and do good.
Speaker 1: And before you move on for the run game, let's talk a little more about be Robb because we're seeing him in a row that we have been asking to see him in for a very long time. And this Sunday he could get even more touches because again he could catch, he could run. What if you gotta see from b Robin not only as a player, but as a leader. He's in his third year, but he asked so much wiseer, be honest years.
Speaker 2: I think one of the things he've seen more now is just he's getting a chance to really carry the load. That's one that stand out to me. I think too, if you think about how far off he from that incident. You know that was this rookie season. It was hard for him to get out there this rookie season and be effective. But he showed he could be. Then the next year he was effective, but I don't think he was quite hisself. Last year we held him back, you know, as a team, we held him back. Now you see him this year, he's really exploding on the scene. He's showing people that, man, I had a full body of health, I can really go out here and beat this guy that I built this boy up to be from that incident. So I'm loving the way that we were allowing him to have the carriage that he desired and that he deserves. But I think also, man, he had so much more in his game. Yes, I'm waiting.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I think the thing about having a guy like Elka, we take a little bit out of his game because last year he showed us, Man, he's dominating in the past game. He's a guy that, man, you have to allow to be effective in the passing game. So now we have a chance and the opportunity to see if we can use that, you know, that tool that he has when it comes to having a guy down. Maybe they might say, Okay, let's take some of these Elkler plays, giving them be rob and then pass some of these other plays that we used with b Rob primarily to these other backs that we had to bring up.
Speaker 1: I think last year be Rap had more receiving touchdowns Russia touchdown. Now, speaking of receiving, we got to talk about our guy, Scary Terry.
Speaker 2: He got involved. We've all been asked me to get on. Yes, y'all can make some noise. It's okay, y'all stay here with us, y'all stay here with us, all right, I mean to forget y'all. You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: It's a little dark with these shades over, but I need him for his life. Appreciate y'all sor Terry mcclorrn. He gets more involved. How crazy to see a guy like that. Now this number hasn't been called.
Speaker 2: In the first few weeks. Yeah, but he rises to the occasion whenever his number is called. Gives your boy, Terry McCallin some love. I mean, you know, honestly, man, playing that position, you gotta be patient. I think one of the things people fail to realize about the receiver position. Everybody's team doesn't treat the receivers the same. You know, some teams run their offense through the running backs or through other guys, and as a receiver, regardless of your special or elite, you still have to go you know, as the offense goes. You can't go out there and feel that you know, I need to be I need to get what the next man got. And that's something that I had to learn. But I wasn't really worried about that. I never paid attention to how many attempts. I always want to be effective with their attempts. And I think that's something that Terry has shown this fan base. He's shown this staff, every staff that he's been a part of, He's shown that, look, man, when you count and when you need me, I'm gonna be there for you. So I tipped my hat off to him because I understand he's in a different era of this game. It's a mold, predominantly past game, and they're throwing to the guys. When I say the guys, the big money guy. He's a big money guy, and it's hard for me to go into every week saying we need to get our big money got the ball. I mean, most teams are going to make sure he leaves the game with the song hanging out of his mouth, and to see that week the first couple of weeks, we didn't go him as much. It wasn't because we didn't try. It's because you gotta understand the matchups, you know what I mean. People fail to realize it's all about matchups. If he's an X receiver, I had that experience of being the only guy on one side of the field, it's easier for the defense to say I'm gonna put a cloud over you and gonna make it hard for you to get the ball. These other guys can get it. But as you saw the weeks go on, Cliff went in his bag last week and say, I got to mix things up. Put Terry in some of these favorable matchups where I got it on the other sides of the field. Remember Terry even spoke about it. I'm normally on the left side. They put me on the right side. I told him, look, give me this ball. So now you see you see him moving them around. I think you'll see a more that and what I want to see more going forward. Some of those bunches, some of those short splits, some of those tight splits, some of those opportunities where he's on the same side of the tight end that would give him the favorable matchups that I talk about each and every week that now you can see him really go out there and work.
Speaker 3: But I think when other guys starts stepping up, the other teams cannot cloud coverage him, double him. Brown has stepped in, and Brown is a problem. Luke McCaffrey now is doing some thing, Dianmi. Brown is still getting open. And you had two guys in the backfield running the football effectively, and then guess what, you gotta put somebody on Zach Hurry. Who's gonna check him? Not a linebacker? All right, sen it is there as well. So the more that this offense begins to they begin to put more in and everybody else get more involved, then Terry's gonna get the one on one matches.
Speaker 4: And we know Terry's gonna be people one on one.
Speaker 3: But the thing about it is this team is not gonna be a team where they're gonna destraw up to him fifteen times a week. But the thing but I love about Terry, if the ball's not coming to him, he's still running full speed, he's still blocking, he's doing what he needs to do to help other guys out. And over time that's gonna help him out because if those other guys start getting involved, then you have no choice but to start singling him.
Speaker 4: And when you're singing him, you damn well will lose.
Speaker 1: And b we can't move on from the office without giving love to this offensive line, because I think we all were wondering what it was going to look like, how it was going to be. You know, we have some new pieces in there, but I was talking to Sam Cosmo the Next Man Up podcast, and he was saying, he said, man, we are all one, We're cut from the same clawth be How happy and impressed have you been with this office a lot, especially that last game.
Speaker 3: Well, I've been happy with it because as a former quarterback, I understand when you go out there and you're a mobile quarterback and you can help your guys out, they like that and they work even harder for you. And Jayden sometimes make them look better than what they are, but they are way better than what we had last year. Ala Greddi Kyler be honest, we call him Bads. That dude is un cosby getting this job.
Speaker 2: Though old Man had a game last week, did you look at that in this league.
Speaker 3: He is educating some veterans behind all and Wiley has been very consistent in you what happens is when you are aligneman and you might miss, you might not completely blocked, and then it balls out you get a positive on your test. You know they judge something. So right now this officsive line is playing great now as they get confidence, all.
Speaker 4: That doesn't make them get out there be better and better and better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's going hand in hand. I think when you look at it, one officer line has been much improved or I think right now that's part in this season. You can look at them and say, okay, when you say who's been much improved from last season, that that stands out more than anything. But then also too, you have the Jayden effect. I think the Jayden effects has allowed them to to be whordy at because now you have a quarterback that understands that it's a clock. I have but so much time to get rid of this football and when it's not there, I got to take off and getting these yarded. So these guys are doing such a great job up front, but they also doing enough job to say, let me give him a lane or two that if he needs it, he can take off again three four, five, six yards just to keep us, you know, in the favorable down, you know what I mean. So I think it's going hand in hand. Man, the linemen get him their credit. They definitely need it. But that's some of the things that I've I've heard all the time since I've been to the league that they don't like to be in front of the camera. They got to do their job on the field. But hats off to those guys, and I want to see more of that each and every week. Yes, man, the Jaden effect, I love it.
Speaker 1: I think that Jaden effect is while we have so many command as fans out here in Phoenix, are y'all having a good time? Y'all having a good time? Oh my goodness, man, they loud. I feel like I'm at a family reunion. I'm ready to bust out the electric slide for a second, you know what I mean. Now, let's head over to this defense because we are facing a very interesting quarterback in Colin Murray. Each week he shows a different type of either he looks rough one week or then he looks incredible the next. What kind of problems as a quarterback like Kylin Mariy poles be mitched.
Speaker 3: You have to keep him in the pocket. The thing about Coler, he's very similar to Jaden where you can throw it. He's very effective in the passing game, and he's outstanding in the run game. But Coler is not six foot two and a half six straight like Jaden is. So Coyler wants to find lanes and if you could keep him in the pocket, it's a little tougher for him to see down the field. So they got to be very careful. Where you hear about contained, they have to contain him, and when you.
Speaker 2: Get a chance to hit it, hit him. Listen.
Speaker 3: I believe in physicality. I want to make sure people understand I want to be a bully.
Speaker 4: Be a bully to him.
Speaker 2: He a little dude.
Speaker 3: Beg him, hurt hit him, because if you could get in his face, get your hands up.
Speaker 4: He has a tougher problem.
Speaker 3: Getting the ball through that or seeing completely down the field. But if you allow him to get outside and do all this thing, he will pick you apart. Yeah you know. So as I look at this, I'm looking at two teams that are very similar. Yeah, offenses that could be explosive and very good defenses that are inconsistent, so they got to figure out a way. They have to make sure they keep him in the pocket and get your hands up and when you get a chance, hit him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a jitibud jitibud. I call him guys like him. I mean, this guy squirt out of everywhere, anywhere and he finds a way to get it done. And that's you know, credit to him just being that guy that understands the game and understands, you know, his part in his role, knowing that hey, I don't have the height, I have the speed, I have the quickness, I have the agility, I still have an arm with this statue, and I can still get the job done. So I love his game. Honestly, he is very similar to what we do. It's very similar to how we do things. When things ain't there, you allow him to make something happen and that's what he does. So with that being said, as a defense, we have to contain be disciplined. Discipline in the back end, discipline in the front end. We can't run wild, just leaving lanes and gaps open because we trying to sack him. We have to be disciplined enough to say I'm gonna stand my ground even if I don't get the sack. Initially, I'm gonna make it hard for him to see over these guys, So I'm pushing into his lap. I'm gonna push these guys in the interior into his lap. Make it hard for him to see. Why allow my guys on the outside to close in on him. If he sees that pressure on the outside, now he steps into my gap, I can grab him and bring him down. But if you go wild and say I'm going out to the sack and they push you along, you open that lane, he gonna take off. He's gonna work through there. He gonna find ten fifteen you minus thirty yards, or if you don't find it, he's gonna see a guy down the field. So you gotta be disciplined man in the passing game or the discipline in our pressure. But I think overall, defense gotta play sound. Whatever we dial up, man, this be sound at it. And I think when we bring our stunts and our pressures, we gotta show also different coveratures to him to make sure that he's thinking a little bit. I think if you show him something different than what we've shown on tape, because you know, everybody looked at that film from the week before and say, Okay, is it what they're doing. You gotta kind of you got a toy with a guy like that. You got to make sure that he really know how to read. Let me see how you've been doing these last three four years. If you really know how to read these defenses, I'm gonna show him looks and then I'm gonna get into other looks. Now you get him to pack that ball a couple of times. Now you get a chance to get those guys to get him down.
Speaker 1: Discipline defense is key against a guy like Kyler Murdy because if you give him Tom Tanner, he has a gonna bury you in.
Speaker 2: Marvin oh No, Everson Junior.
Speaker 1: Fellas, y'all seen a lot of rookies come in, but have y'all seen a guy like Marven Errison Junior come in with that amount of tools, the speed, the size, the hands, the wearithal of rookie like that man, he has to cause so many problems for any secondary.
Speaker 3: Well, this man grew up, he was a kid coming up watching his dad have a Hall of Fame career, and you think he didn't get the best toolch So I'm not surprised at all. But the thing about it is that his dad allowed him to be who he is. He's a bigger receiver, so his game is totally different than what his dad's game is. But he's you can run, and he's strong. So all of the little extra things that he needs he has. He was born with a lot of less stuff. Now, other people got to learn it. This dude was every day. He had that already. And I think what you gotta do with him is you gotta make it tough on him. You have to, like, just like you give a quarterback different reads, you have to give him different reads, make him see different things, give him different coverages. So he's thinking. I've always said, if you're thinking on the football field, you are gonna you're gonna lose. You gotta just react. So if you get him thinking a little bit, and that's what young guys do. They think on the field, they're trying to figure it out. And why you figured out, boss that Oh you're a little late. Oh you start running, Oh it got and you slow down. You can't get to the spot. They have to do that to him.
Speaker 2: They can't.
Speaker 3: They can't just line up and do the same thing over and over because he will eat it alive.
Speaker 1: If you had a preference, how do you match up against a guy like that? You put one man on him or do you give him different looks throughout? Do you want to see a Santa show? Do you want to see a Benjamin Saint juice? Or do you just throw whatever you can't? I want to see coverage.
Speaker 2: I want to see that we we actually so when we get in man and man, we haven't stopped nobody man man. So I'm not trying to come into this game and say, oh, I'm gonna put a man on a guy like that, even though he's a rookie. You would expect a rookie could phase a rookie or you know, check a rookie or veteran checker rook man. These guys at this receive positions coming in especially different, you know what I mean. It's so much going on now today's game that the ordinary receivers that we were coming in as young guys, these guys well beyond their years these days, you know what I mean. So if you allow him to go out there with that man and man coverage, he will burn you. So I don't want to see that. I want to see us coverage. I want to see us put those clouds over him, show them, show them different looks as a whole. But at the same time too, I don't want us to sit there and feel like, oh, he's the next things, you know, the best thing since sliced bread. You know, he's a rookie's he has he has a skill set that shows us all that he's gonna be great one day. He's his daddy's son most definitely, yes, But at the same time, he's a rookie. So with what we Missus talked about thinking, he's thinking I care that's what you're saying. He's out there every down thinking about, oh, let me make sure I'll line up right, let me make sure I got his play, because that's what we do as rookie, that's what we do as young pupps. And with that being said, you want to allow our defense to dictate how he's feeling. Like I've seen him explode. I've seen him have a quarter or half where he just exploded and then I seen him come back to reality. So we have to understand what was done in that quarter that made him that lead through. You know, for that team, and then what did they do adjustment wise to stop him from being that lead through? And I think we got to come into this game with a game plan saying, Okay, it's a guy that they relied on the light which in that tight end, that's not gonna play. So he's not that safety net no more. So. Now we got James Connor in the back field. We have him and we have the other young guy that's out there that can be lead through two in the passing game, they're down one guy. And so with that being said, a guy like Kyler being in shure that he is, he want that safety blanket, He want that tight end that's been special for him from day one. He doesn't have that, So you know he's gonna go to the guy that he can rely on. So a lot of balls, whoever the DBA is on his side, just know the ball coming to your way. I see a turnover for us in the secondary. We gotta have one because the ball gonna be coming their way. So I'm looking forward to seeing our guys put their hands on them.
Speaker 1: And Tanna, when you bring up that that turnover, I see it too. And one guy I want to talk about before he moved from the secondary. B. It's Kwan Martin. I don't feel like we've talked about him enough. And it's so special what he's done because not a lot of guys were carryovers, not a lot of guys stayed from this last regime.
Speaker 2: Kwana only stayed.
Speaker 1: He became a starter and now he's going to be a first time captain for this team.
Speaker 2: B how long Presson gets.
Speaker 1: Them with kwal Mark because this is a coaching staff that did not draft him, but he has earned their respect very far well.
Speaker 3: Watching him last year, he was learning and at the end of the year when they begin to really give them a chance, he showed these capable and multiple positions. And since he's come here, you know what I mean, Since the news staff came in, they saw his leadership qualities, they saw how consistent he was. So Kwan is now getting the opportunity to go out there and show you. Kwan's type of guy where he may cover a receiver at one point, but he also may cover a tight end. Yes, he could feel it in the running game. So he's a guy that basically could be helping you in different ways. And what other teams look for is what personnel grouping. Are they sitting in when you sit at Kawhi Martin or either Mikey Sarah. Still, what position are they going to do? You know, if you say, oh, they got man, we're gonna do something for our nickel situation. They can play in the big nickel exactly, they can play in the regular they can play it in whatever.
Speaker 4: You can't read off of what they're.
Speaker 3: Doing coming in. So I think that's a great thing for him. And also on top of it, they're good. I'm good at it.
Speaker 2: And that's the beauty of Joe.
Speaker 1: With Junior's defense, right, it's not only having that versatility, but being able to give you different looks to keep that offense honest. Now, defensive line, we're talked about this next man of mentality. Our defens a lion showed that last week. Johnny Newton, Stanley Jean Baptiste. No, Johnny Newon is the second round pick that should have been the first, but Jean Baptiste, that's a seventh round pick. Tannam Man. How valuable is it to be able to get a seventh round pick that not only could play and make your active roster, but actually contributing big minutes and get sacks.
Speaker 2: I mean to be truthful, man, I never got caught up into the picks part of it, you know what I mean, Like the whole draft. Man, it'll it'll blow your mind at times, because there's guys that should have been picked higher that falls, and there's guys that shouldn't have been picked higher that should have been down there that end up getting picked higher. So when I look at a guy like Baptiste, man, I saw how special he was for no the name, the things that he did, who he was as a leader on that team, on the defensive side of the ball. And when you look at this where he felled, you know what I mean, that's that's just the you know, that's how the crooked kumble for him. But when you look at at what he brings to this team and what he can bring to any team in that position, man, he's special. He specially he's a young, special talent. And I'm looking forward to seeing him do more because now you have guys that was down that we have to you know, relyound him a little more. Pharaoh was down, what you know what I mean, So now we got to rely on him. You have other guys like Newton, like he spoke of, Newton is a guy that's getting back into the thicker thing. Had a couple of injuries coming into the draft, and that's where he fell to the second round. Clearly, I'm happy, but I'm at the same time, you know what I mean, because if he wasn't injured coming into the draft, we wouldn't have got a chance to put our hands on him. But I saw him last week flash. So those two guys, Man, I'm the future is bright, you know, Baptists. I'm looking for him to bring more. You know, on the outside, we need that. We need a new edge Russia to really show up. We need somebody on the outside to really say, hey, man, I'm here. We saw Pharaoh go out there and get two sacks back to back. He's down. We saw Armstrong go out there and make up and say, oh, since he's down, I'm gonna get one. Now. We need to see the other guys that they trinkle in Fouler, guys like Baptists, anybody that has a chance or Jamie Davis, all those guys that are having a chance to beat those edge rushers. They need to fall into place and be special on that edge and then you know, like I said before, we're talking about Baptists and we talking about you know, Newt and those guys are young. It's they have They are light years ahead of where they at, you know when it comes to their age group and and comes to how young they are in this game. But the special and that's why they're on the team, that's why they're playing right now.
Speaker 1: And b they have stellar veterans in Deron Paynt and Jonathan Allen. Now they have not stood out on the stat she asked yet, but talk about how they've impacted this game in other ways.
Speaker 3: Well, the thing about those two guys where when they're in the game, teams want to take them out of it because they know how effective they are. So they don't get double teams here. They may think they have a single, but somebody's gonna chip on them, and the other guys are getting the one on one matchups. So what's happening with Baptists and all those out there now making the other teams that you can't block me one on one either. So John and Deron will start getting more one on one matches where you feel that they have more of a advantage in those situations. But the ultimate thing is everyone talks about outside pass rush, the one the one way, and the best way to effect the quarterback is inside. And I think what our interior guys gotta do is while you're rushing, you gotta also remember that you can stop, share and tackle because we've been collapsing the pocket.
Speaker 4: But it's a running game. Player we run past the running back, just get rid of it.
Speaker 3: And I heard Joe say that the other day that we got to learn to disengage, and also we're rushing for the past. But ultimately, when we see a run, stop, extend, get rid of and make the tackle. If they start doing that, which we've seen both of them do, this defense is gonna just rise.
Speaker 2: Joe talked about it, so you sure that. I'm sure we're gonna see it because you know, one thing's about those guys. They're coaching them, man, and we're seeing a little bit more every single week. It wasn't everything at first. It's taking time.
Speaker 1: Because not only just a young it's a new staff, but it's also a new look ross.
Speaker 2: We have a lot of new looks.
Speaker 1: But that's why we are so excited, and that's why we have our kafanas fans, Burgundy and Gold end up building. We are wrapping up the show out here. Man, it has been so great to be out here in Phoenix, out here in backyard, I'm seeing so many familiar faces, and we are just so grateful for y'all being out here represented for us, because y'all don't have to.
Speaker 2: Come out here, but y'all spend y'all time doing this.
Speaker 1: This is hot y'all side to spend y'all Saturday night, So we appreciate that. And with that in mind, let's end the show with a fan question.
Speaker 2: Now this is for Michael Lueger. Am I saying that right?
Speaker 1: Michael Lueger? Now this is this is a two part question. So I'm go'a split up. Tanny, You're gonna get offense, be miss You're gonna get defense. Okay, what is the key to us beating Arizona tomorrow?
Speaker 2: On offense? Tanner? I think offensively for us to have a productive game, I want to see a balance. I want to see a balance attach. I think one of the things that you saw going for this team. They have been susceptible in the past, but at the same time they've had their share with the run game too. Now they was they was pretty sturdy in the run game, stopping the run game a couple of games ago. But when they played a quarterback that's like the quarterback we had and Josh Allen up there in Buffalo, they gave him a lot. He was able to He was able to will and deal and do some of the things that that he that makes his game special. Against these guys, knowing that we have that guy, I'm gonna be looking to see how they how they play us, you know what I mean? Are they gonna be in those zone coverages knowing that they have to be in coverages that they can put their eyes on the quarterback. They can't turn their back at all. With jaydon you turn your back one time, He's gonna make it pay for us. So I think in order for us to have the kind of offensive game that we're looking for, I want to see a Batters attack. I want to see a lot of that thunder that we got still left be Rob you know Rodriguez, Uh, you know the other guy that we have back then, Matt Nichols. I want to see those guys be effective. But I know that's going to open up our past the game Zach Hurt came back home. This used to be it used to be his home, so I'm pretty sure he might set up pass somewhere down the street. Got on the show down here to show them what they're missing a little bit. So be ready to see him in the pass game and be effective.
Speaker 1: To your point, Cliff Kekisbury too, same thing, right, they have something to prove out.
Speaker 2: This game needs up to that for the Keys. I know he ain't home to night part part and be miss saved thing. What is the key for our defense?
Speaker 3: Without defense, I think the ultimate thing is we have to get out there and stop James Connor. I know we talk about Colin Murray, we talk about Marvin Harrison Jr. But if they don't establish their run, they can't run their offense how they want to run it. So we can stop James Connor and make it tough on him. Now, you make them one dimensional and when they're pressing, passing, they are a good football team.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: And then on top of that, as a defense, don't hurt yourself. You can't have penalties, you can't give them extra downs and things of that nature.
Speaker 4: You do that, you win the football game, hands.
Speaker 2: Down and tending missus zach ERTs.
Speaker 1: He was on Players Club recently, right, yeah, man, you had on Players Club.
Speaker 2: You like that show? Well, you know I love that y'all. If y'all haven't watched it Saturday's evenings, so you should have been watching it tonight Players Club check us out and it's coming on right after this.
Speaker 1: Actually, Players Cub will be coming on any moment on WU say nay. You can catch it on the Commander's Hug two pace. But it's not just Players Club that Tanna's does. It's not this command center that Tanna does, it's not this commands of the podcast that Tanner does. We also do game day live talk to those game live. We will be on the sidelines in Arizona now job Steven Dad as well, but we'll be on this sideline of Arizona pregame and postgame.
Speaker 2: Give you all your coverage. Fans. Are y'all gonna be at the game? Y'all gonna pull up? Now?
Speaker 1: We need y'all to be loud. Okay, So what I need y'all do? I need y'all to practice out loud. Y'all are gonna be out in Arizona, Okay. So first stays. First, I need y'all get loud for Sad Tanna Moss.
Speaker 2: I love it, I love it, I love it.
Speaker 1: Now, you know what Super Bowl Champion Brian Mitchell deserves some love to give it up. And last, but not least, the last thing I ask y'all give love for y'allselves for being out here, being the greatest fan base in the NFL. I promise you no other teams through this, man, no other teams do this. We appreciate y'all so much. Commanders Family. This is it for Saturday, not live out in Fetys, Arizona. We will see y'all tomorrow morning, Sunday Game Day, pre game in post game live. Until then, we out were getting ab out of this heat.