Speaker 1: The guys from paying They've kind of showed me how much the equipment matters.
Speaker 2: I just love that I can hit any shot I kind of want.
Speaker 3: We're gonna be able to tell some fun stories about what goes on here to help golfers play better golf.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Ping Proving Grounds Podcast. I'm Shane Bacon. That is Marty Jertsen.
Speaker 3: Marty.
Speaker 1: Today, we're going to talk about something that I'm very interested in because I feel like, you know, there's a lot of things in golf we talk about our age old debates. I feel like this is a exact debate. This isn't age old. I mean, for years, the thought process for professional golfers and good players was get the ball in the fairway. You think about US Opens and you know tough golf courses that we play each and every week, and players were dedicated to find the fairway first, and there was a lot of irons off tas and that mentality over the last decade or two has totally flipped and you're seeing I feel like it kind of started back in the Tiger VJ days, when VJ would just pound driver up fairways. They didn't care where it went. And it's he's on from find the fairway, and that's the benefit to beat it off the t as far as you can hit it and go find it, and that's the advantage. So today I want to discuss with you driving in terms of distance versus accuracy and what is more important. And I want to start with this, when did technology shift? When did the idea of you guys building golf clubs for distance in theory over accuracy, or maybe distance being more important than in theory accuracy shift like it did for the modern day player.
Speaker 3: This topic is so juicy, and I think you brought up the examples of VJ and Tiger. Tiger was that great example where he was like one hundred and fiftieth or one hundred and eightieth in fairways hit driving accuracy, but he was obviously he was hitting it on average at the time back in Tiger two thousand days or whatever, like thirty yards twenty five thirty yards past the to or average, and he had driving advantage. So I think it was that culmination of like, okay, Tiger's doing this, and then that con that metric of strokes gained and we got to get we all the industry has to give Mark Brody tons of credit for that absolutely writing his book. So it's like, okay, then we're still kind of connecting dots on those things to develop that kind of you know, to answer this question really is and it's really I think this is why I love doing this podcast. It's not a binary answer. It's like what's more important distance or accuracy in the answer. It's not yes or no, right, this is there's nuance between those things. And what's really cool is that we've used some of that, like those analytics to help answer that question that we could talk about today, which is really fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I kind of go back. I'm thirty nine years old. You know, I was playing high school golf in the late nineties early two thousands, and I always felt like driving accuracy for me was the thing I struggle the most with. You know, I would always lean on the two iron. I went through a time in college and just after college, or I don't want to say I necessarily had the driver yips, but I would hit this two iron all the time off teas because I could hit it in the two fifty range, you know, as a twenty two year old, and I could live with that, and it's funny because now I feel like the most reliable club in my bag in terms of finding a fairwear having to hit a pressure pack golf shot is the Driver. I mean, the Driver has become one of my favorite clubs in terms of reliability, and it's just so wild to think of, like the old Shane and the way I thought about the driver versus you know this twenty twenty three version where when the hole's tight, I will tee the driver a little bit lower and kind of squeeze it out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's why you're seeing all the tour guys do as well, so you're seeing the driver go straighter. It's more forgiving. I think players know that driving is super important, so they're practicing it a lot more. And then certainly a lot of as Shane, which is we can get into, is golf course dependent. I mean that two iron going down there two fifty. You come back here at Arizona and place some of these courses, and that's like the only shot that the golf that the hole gives you. Obviously, so there is a golf course dependent condition around this, which is quite fun because then we build tools to help answer that question. What's more important distancer accuracy, and today we're going to talk about this ratio of the two, Like what your golf course penalty is is a big part of that equation, that calculus for you as a golfer. But yeah, I think we've seen a lot of players just both I think embrace the analytics of it as well as the driver being more forgiving and spending more time on that technique. And I think you're seeing that kind of the modern day and what you're experiencing me and the tour players is that culmination of that intersection of both of those things.
Speaker 1: And Marty, something I do want to do during this conversation is really kind of separate maybe what a professional golfer or a really good amateur golfer might think on this topic versus that middling handicap player, because I do feel like, and maybe this is just me, I like your thoughts on this, but I feel like there's so much talk about technology in the game, and it feels like we always lean on what the pro is doing. And I've had a couple buddies in my life that when driving went from like leaning a little heavy on the spin to be a little bit more accurate to taking spin off of these drivers and launching it really high and trying to get the most out of it in terms of the way you're hitting the golf ball. You know, you see Rory McRoy swing up at the golf ball so much and launching at whatever thirteen or fourteen, and you feel like people should be doing that. And I'm interested in your thoughts on how players a ten handicap, at twelve handicap, a fifteen handicap should approach driving because it's their course dependent, Like you said, how do they play their particular golf course, but it's also maybe what suits the way they swing the golf golf club as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Shane, The way I like to frame this, the very simple, is that the goal of a driver fitting and just driving the golf ball is to maximize distance while being mindful of dispersion. Right, Because so it's like your goal is to hit as far as possible, but you want to eliminate grow tesque misses that are going to cause you penalty shots out of bounds, water, what have you. Right, So it's to maximize distance while being mindful of that dispersion. And for your club golfer, a gain of twenty yards off the tee is going to improve your strokes gain driving, ultimately lowering your score by two point three shots. So twenty yards is going to be two point three shots. If you're a PGA Tour player, twenty yards is one shot, right because your your game's already you know, everything's kind of already tightened up right, so to speak. So that shows the value of gaining distance for your club golfer is even more important from a scoring standpoint, because after you drive it down there further, you're gonna have kind of less chances to compound errors between where you drive it and getting to the green right, So it shows that there is even more importance for the club golfer to hit the ball further. Now, let's talk about accuracy. If for you to gain one shot in accuracy, which is left right dispersion, the PGA Tour player, if they tighten their their cone or their dispersion by seven yards, that would improve their strokes game driving. They would effectively save one shot around. But if you're that same eighteen handicap er club golfer player, you would have to improve your dispersion by ten yards. So you see, we got in dispersion, we got seven yards. Ten yards is one shot, but from distance we have twenty yards being one shot around or two point three. So when you kind of do the math on that ratio for your club go, it's way more important or a bigger premium even than your tour player to emphasize gaining distance. And I think that's something we even the good fitters out there might still have a little bit of that that you know, bias from the past, where hey, we need to tighten somebody's impact dispersion, We need to get you to hit more fairways. Well if somebody's already hitting it relatively straight. We've seen great success kind of shifting that mindset in your fitting to be a little bit more give yourself permission. Is the fitter to consider a driver that might go further with uh maybe even the same or a little bit more offline it could be more beneficial for the player.
Speaker 1: What's been so interesting about getting fit in my time with ping is you'll get in the right head, or you'll get in a head that is going to be the one you're gonna use kind of your gamer head. And then I and again, this is why it's so important to get fit, in my opinion is then you can manipulate loft, you can manipulate shaft. There's so much to do, and I feel like so much the time golfers blaming themselves for bad shots or bad swings or to your point, dispersion issues. Right, Oh, this driver's going right, I must be coming over the top of it, or I must be doing something to pull this golf shot. And it could simply be that shaft isn't right in your golf club. And one of my favorite parts about the fitting process is getting the head dialed, is getting the loft dialed, and then going through those processes with the shaft, because that shaft can do so much in terms of kind of tightening things up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the shaft's a big deal. Shame when it comes to when we're talking about that this topic of distance and accuracy, because you can use the shaft and the both the stiffness properties and all the weight and center of gravity properties to change that left right dispersion right. And a lot of times what you want to do is maybe not change the shaft and the balance point to get more draw bias to eliminate that right miss, and then your psychology is freed up. You can have more of your natural release pattern right type of thing, and then you can swing harder and you hit it further, and you know that that one out of four, one out of five foul ball to the right is no longer going to be in there. So a lot of times it's gaining freedom from a specific miss type of thing. But one of the fun things Shane and shafts, we're talking about the concept of shafts here. The topic shafts is how do we use shaft technology to influence this distance versus accuracy topic? And a big thing that we've done a lot of folks. I think for a while we were a little controversial because we had our driver at forty five and three quarters inches standard length right, and everyone's like, oh, you know, the tour players are playing drivers that are forty four and a half. You need a tighten dispersion, you go shorter, you're gonna hit it straighter. All these things are kind of floating out there. We kept doing the research and we were like, well, we don't really see a compelling reason to go shorter as our stock length. We see that at a relatively longer length the golfer's gonna have their is getting a little technical, but shift their swinger actually a little more to the right. They're gonna hit more up on the ball. You mentioned Rory hitting more up a pod, more positive angle of attack. Swinging more right is generally what a lot of the club golfers that come over the top and hit the wipe ye kind of slice out their need. But how do we have that longer length without losing without the club getting too heavy? Right? That's kind of the where we needed to innovate, and we spend a lot of time. We've evolved this technology over the last decade plus of having super counterbalance shafts. So you look at our quote unquote stock shaft we like to call them proprietary, is called the Alta CB, and that CB stands for counterbalance, Okay, and that really is the secret sauchine of like the G four to thirty driver ALTA shafts being forty five and three quarter, that's the swing weight still perfect for the player. It's D two D three whatever we need to do to optimize it, and we still have a lot of mass in the head so you can go longer, doesn't feel too heavy. To the golfer, but we still have that mask to get momentum. That's kind of all this is kind of working towards that concept. We're putting a premium on our default build to be biased for distance and while being mindful of accuracy.
Speaker 1: All right, Marty, take me back to your initial designs with the driver, because I can only imagine that as you're designing drivers and you're going through that process, which is so cool to see. I mean, you're literally building these new clubs. You're you're finding I mean you've told the turbulator story on this podcast before, but you're finding ways to change the look or the feel or obviously the design of a driver. What are you looking for as you're going through that design process in terms of both accuracy and distance, Like what are the numbers that gets you excited? Are you gaining the five yards? Ten yards? You know, ping man swinging this thing? And it's a little tighter dispersion, like what are those numbers that you guys are looking to see before you maybe take it to your boss and go, hey, I think this is the one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like trying to eke out some improvements. It starts in the design world where we're just doing things on the computer, Shane, It's like just modeling. Okay, if I change this geometry, if I could get the wall thickness thinner in this one area, if I can save some weight from the crown, if I can save some weight from the face, I can move that weight to move the center of gravity lower and deeper. And when I do that, the moment of inertia goes up. And then we know predictively because we've made like we've made some really cool prototypes here, Shane, where we can have the same CG, but we can vary the moment of inertia. We'll put on the robot, we hit it all over the face, and we can kind of prove that hypothesis that higher moment of inertia will help you hit it straighter. Right. But the challenge is, and this is where I think we have really done it ping, is we want to have high MOI. And this was kind of a thought in the market place for a long time. Oh, HIGHMI drivers always spin a lot, right, Well, well, we broke through that, right, you can have a high MOI driver that spins low. It's what our LST is. And some of these other things. So we're really trying to move center gravity low, deep, but the right amount while maximizing MOI, and then the payoff to the golfer is being able to measure that both in player testing where we see increases in ball speed, distance, carry and dispersion, and also put it on the robot. And we put on the robot, we can heat map the face, hit it all over the face in a nine position test and see, Okay, yes, I improve the moment of the inertia on this driver design, or I change the face shaping like our sponsistency, and we see higher ball speed across the face, we see better dispersion, and then connect those dots. Ultimately, Shane, it's the player testing because that's the real world what me and you and our golfer out there is going to experience. That is the most fun to look at in our data analysis.
Speaker 2: Okay, let me ask you this.
Speaker 1: I know you've already kind of answered a little bit of this, But let's say Guy A hits fourteen of fourteen fairways, averages two to sixty off the tee versus Guy B hits seven of fourteen fairways, and it's at three hundred yards off the tee who is at the advantage in golf in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so if you're on an average penalty golf course, that player that's forty yards down there. For those same reasons we talked about, as long as as long as those seven that missed the fairway aren't crazy exotically offline, right, So, as long as your dispersion grows kind of like a cone. That's a good way to kind of think of it, is there's this cone out there, and that ratio of distance to accuracy for the everyday golfer. We kind of talked about that a little bit. What those numbers are is two to one. So for every two yards you gain in distance, you can live with one more yard of offline. What does this mean? If you go get fit, if you go take your game or driver, then you're gonna go try our G four thirty with the alta CB might be a little longer than what you're used to. You got the launch conditions dialed in. It's twenty yards further. Right, if your dispersion. Most of the time we see our dispersion decreases because of all of our technology and inertia and things of that nature. But if your dispersion is is it doesn't grow by more than ten yards right, you gain twenty down the fairway. As long as you didn't grow by more than ten yards of offline left or right, that will be a positive from a strokes gain driving or a scoring standpoint. And quite frankly, it's like it's fun. You can hit it by your buddies and things of that nature. So what's really cool is that when you can hit it twenty yards further, and this is what we quite often see, and also keep your dispersion or tighten it, then you're really gonna compound those gains. And that's where you get more into the You know, your your driver fit gained you three or four shots around. We see that very often.
Speaker 1: How do you find more distance all the time? I think this is something that consumers ask a lot about a new driver. Yeah, you know, this is the longest driver ever made. This one's going longer. I can tell you four thirty is longer than four to twenty five. I mean that's been my personal experience.
Speaker 3: It just is.
Speaker 1: But how do you keep finding this distance in these drivers while also maintaining a regulated driver by the USGA and the RNA.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think Shane. For us, it's all about compound interest. It's it's it's stacking things. It's okay we come out with a new technology, let's not take away something that we already gave the golfer, right, and that is really hard to do. It sounds easy, but it's really hard to do so, and looking at the driver we were talking about, shafts is a system. So our counterbalance shafts is a super important part for most golfers that are playing our all to CB at forty five and three quarter, optimizing the headway and being able to deliver that to the golfer. So I think stacking things like the shaft the system design going a little bit longer, stacking with the G four to thirty. It's the thinnest face we've ever had, and a lot of that is borne through our modeling techniques, a lot of super compute and things we're doing on the golf physics side. It's s consistency because you don't want to go out and pick the driver that you hit the furthest with your one best shot. That's something that I think you've seen our fitters and golfers get more used to is go out and evaluate drivers and look at your dispersion on all ten or twenty shots and your average distance on all those hits, because things like sponsistency, you're going to give you more distance when you hit it low on the face. So Shane, when you're experiencing the four thirty going further, me too. A lot of it is we're not hitting it perfect. Every time your team at low you're hitting your stingers out there, they're going further. A lot of that is impacts that aren't perfectly centered right, So it's adding that up. It's adding moment of inertiaup. It's more ball speed through materials, face design, more clubheits be through turbulators. You start stacking all these things up and that's where you get that compound interest and you can have drivers and we're we're doing it. We're seeing in real life that keep going a little bit further and or a little bit straight every time we launch one out in the market.
Speaker 1: How much is the sweet spot focused in design versus around the face? Because you know, like that hot toe has been a big top topic over the last few years.
Speaker 2: You know, if you hit the ball.
Speaker 1: On that top left part of the driver, it's a mishit, but it can still go plenty far. That was not the case, you know, fifteen twenty years ago. How much I don't know. You mentioned the nine spots on the driver you do with the robot test team. How much is the focus on not just the sweet spots in terms of where you're hitting these golf clubs specifically a driver, but the mishits, Like, how can you gain the most out of a mishit for the average player?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's huge, and we've done a lot of research on what does that dispersion pattern look like for the better player, what does it look like for your everyday golfer? And for your everyday golfer, that impact dispersion where you hit around the faces of the obviously way bigger. So we put more of a priority on a moment of inertia on our max driver that's going to spin the appropriate amount for that golfer, right because their impact dispersion is a little bit bigger. This gets pretty nuanced, though, Shane, because what we've come to find out in this kind of fresh research is that the tour player also benefits from super high inertia, and the reason why is because the consequence of their misses at more distance and more speed is more severe. So very high inertia driver for a high speed player is also super beneficial. I think the conclusion is high inertia and high forgiveness. Basically what your question was, impact around the face is a very big deal for all levels of golfers, and so we prioritize that through our testing that we do. I think using the CG shifter can kind of move where that perfect quote unquote sweet spot is or where the CG is, and it's a really big deal. I think we can evaluate it in the fitting process. That thought, that kind of concept of the high toe shot, which is high you know, top left of the face for you, top right of the face for me, is a little bit that that that idea that you need to hit it in the high toe to get your furthest distance has kind of gone away. It was a it was something that exists, existed when when drivers had too high of spin to be perfect if you hit it in the middle of the face. So what would happen with that high toeball You would hit it in the high toe and you would actually lose ball speed, right, Okay, but you spun it way less, and because you spun it way less, the ball would go further. So it actually wasn't the quote unquote hot spot from a ball speed standpoint, but it was the hot spot from a distance standpoint. Now we've innovated on our drivers, moved the CG lower. Now your centered hit hopefully we'll have those perfect launch conditions. Right. So if the high towball goes the furthest for you, it means that your center hit is probably too high of spin to begin with. So that's just kind of something to be mindful of in the modern day of how we're kind of trying to dial in launch and spin. Marty.
Speaker 1: There was a time in I believe it was the early two thousands and it wasn't so much a paying thing, but some other manufacturers came out with some different design golf clubs, and I think a lot of this was, as you said, you know, throwing some information into a computer and they basically you know, putting out the output. Was this design is going to make the most sense. I mean, I remember there were triangle golf drivers, there were square drivers. Do you think we'll ever go back to that? Is there ever going to be a point where that is, again what the computer tells us makes the most sense.
Speaker 3: I think what we saw with those it was, hey, you know, yes, you had a rule, or something like, you have a rule, let's try to go right to the edge of the wall of the room. Right. So, for example, if we wanted to make the highest MOI driver from a heel toe impact standpoint, something square ish might make sense. But as a golfer Shane me and you, we don't miss our drivers on a perfectly straight line heal in tight totally. We miss them high and low and an ellipse pattern, and all of us have different ellipse patterns and shapes that are a little bit tilted. So if you get myopically focused on maximizing one thing, I think the lesson learned is that that will cost you an overall performance. So that is I think the big challenge that we're after in product development and fitting and this topic of distance versus accuracy. There's nuance to all these things, and so how do you maximize overall performance? How can you have high inertial heel toe and high inertia high low and marry those two things together. And that's where our driver's designs have kind of been geared towards that overall on the course, all around performance. You can have distance and accuracy together. It's not a it's no longer a choice like high m I H high spin, you're gonna hit it shorter, right. You can have both. You can have the ball speed, you can have the perfect launch conditions, you can have the M I. And it's all positive some and it's going to compound together.
Speaker 1: Marty, I mean shout out to the stack system for this, because I'm sure this is an answer at times. But what do you think or what do your fitters tell you when they have players come through. How often are they speaking of I want more distance versus I want to hit it straighter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's I'm so.
Speaker 2: Distance right right right? I'm assuming that's the that's the point people make.
Speaker 3: Is I want to hit the ball longer, Yes, it is. I mean we do run into this scenario, which is, you know, you get some players that hit like foul balls, right, that's what you don't want, right that that's where we can do some things in the club design to help eliminate the foul balls. You might need to work on your swing a little bit as long as you're not here in the foul balls. Exactly, as long as you're not hitting the foul balls, you should be focusing on distance to accurate versus accuracy at a ratio of three to one if you're a tour player and two to one if you're a club golfer. We have some great examples of the Shane like Victor Hoblin is an awesome example. This from let's see two thousand and twenty to right now. He has gained like eight to ten yards. If you go to Data Golf, look up his data, he has gained eight to ten yards and he's lost like one or two percent accuracy, but his strokes gained driving per round. So he's an example that gained distance, lost a little bit of accuracy. But the net benefit I think is he's he is a strokes gain driving improved like point three shots around some are right in there. That's a shot of tournament right and the distance he's gained in the speed has helped his iron play. And Shane. One thing we interviewed Joaquin and we also know this about Victor. Both of them play a driver that's forty five and three quarter or Joaquin's like almost forty six, right, okay, so give yourself permission. I think for the listener out there to consider a driver over forty five in a quarter, right our tour average. I did a poll on Twitter actually, I said, hey, what do you think the average driver distance is with our tour staff? And I put like forty four, forty four and a half, forty five, forty five and a quarter or something like that, And I kind of did it in that way on purpose. The right answer is forty five and a quarter. What most people picked was forty four and a half. I cannot believe people still think the average driver length is shorter than it actually is. And again, a lot of that goes to the fact that our driver's so forgiving you can play a little bit longer, and Victor has really enjoyed that.
Speaker 1: Marty, I know you're always a guy that's trying to simplify this for the player. You're always looking at online tools and things to get to your fitters, to make it easier for someone at home to understand, because there's so much nuance that goes into these types of topics. Is there a tool you're working on or a tool you have developed that can help people kind of understand driver distance versus driving accuracy and maybe kind of marry those two things together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Shane, let me see if I can share my screen here a little bit.
Speaker 1: A reminder, by the way, these are the podcasts are all on YouTube, So if you ever want to see what Marty's talking about, if he mentions that, just go to YouTube and check it out. Because a lot of these tools are very, very helpful to understand.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so this one, Shane, is super cool, and this answers that nuance question like what is more important distance or accuracy? Right, so you can go into this tool. This tool is awesome. We use this tool. This is in our Pink copilot so our fitters will have access to this. We've been using it internally at the proving grounds, kind of proving it out, using it with our players, and it's basically like a strokes gained calculator to determine, hey, I'm hitting this driver a little bit further. The dispersion is this because it's hard to like take two drivers in a fitting and go simulate fairways hit or take them on the course and things of that nature. That's what tour players do. We want to build a tool that gives you that same level of access. So we built this tool. It's called Club Compare, and you can go in here and pick like, okay, I got the G four to thirty versus my gamer, and you can put in how much the distance you're hitting the four thirty and then you take this number that you can get on a launch monitor. So this is really cool. You can actually have a measurement of your dispersion and either in a track man or foresight, both of them. It's kind of this plus or minus of side or plus or minus of offline, and that gives us a quantitative metric for your left right dispersion. So you can go into this tool and put in your offline that you had with the four thirty in your fitting. They could say, okay, my gamer I came in with when a little bit shorter and the dispersion Let's say this version was the same, but you picked up like ten yards. And this also answers that question of nuance Shane, if of it's dependent on your handicap, So if you're a higher handicap golfer, it's going to have that intelligence in there that it's going to put more importance on distance relative to accuracy versus a tour player or a lower handicap golfer. So you will get right here, you see we caught. Okay, we have the same dispersion. We gain ten yards and I think I put in eighteen handicapper. That's one point one strokes gained from your distance, and obviously you have you have the same offline, So the strokes gains is not going to be an improvement and offline, but your total strokes gain is going to be one point one to eight. And we give you this little picture of on course. What does that mean from you from an Ellipse standpoint? So this tool, let's go in here real quick and say, okay, let's say if your dispersion with your gamer was also so we gained distance and decreased dispersion, you click find a winner, right and you will get Now you gain two point six strokes game driving, we have you hitting it further and tighter. So not only can you use this tool to compare your gamer versus our four to thirty if you go get fit for you can also compare I want to try the four to thirty at a longer length, different shaft versus the four to thirty with our tour shaft shorter and do that ab comparison and get some real quantitative analytics on on a driver comparison in a fitting. So our fitters here at the proving groundsmen absolutely loving this tool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and for those that are listening that aren't watching this on YouTube, I mean just to kind of, you know, talk you through how simple this is. When you input, you put your handicap in, you put how difficult your golf course is. There's three options in terms of your home club and where you're playing easy, medium or hard, which is very very important obviously to understand where you're playing your golf and then from there you just basically to Marty's point, can input and use this slider device to compare the four point thirty versus the game or you're using and boom, you hit a button and it explains it both with picture and information.
Speaker 2: So uh, I love Marty. I love this stuff.
Speaker 1: I love what you're doing in terms of the technology, not just for the player but for your fitters at home, because it's not always easy to explain to golfers what you're trying to have them understand. This helps them understand that without the fitter having to slam it in their.
Speaker 3: Head exactly, Shane, and I think you brought up a good point that actually missed on the tool, is you put in your golf course difficulty. So right, let's get some real life examples in Arizona. A very hard, penalizing driving course here would be like true country club or desert for us, right, right, So if you play most of your golf there, you can put that in, and now that priority is going to be way more geared toward dispersion over distance. Let's say you put in Papago or Dobson or something like that. Yet that would be quote unquote easy driving course because there's not a lot of penalty right on the end. We actually develop those metrics based off of Kapalua on the PGA Tour is quote unquote the easiest driving course. It has the least penalty you kind of hit it anywhere. Then a very hard driving course is a Honda event. It was a pg National. Yeah, very penalizing if you missed the fairway. So that kind of gives folks a spectrum, and that's what's important to consider where you play golf. Obviously, if you move all around, play all over the place you'd put medium because that kind of handles everything. But this tool handles all that level of complexity, math and nuance, and it makes it super actionable for our fitters. So you can have this conversation and go figure out what's more important versus accuracy for you in your fitting.
Speaker 1: So bring it back to the start Marty. It sounds like we have an answer here. It sounds like there is an answer to the question what's more important, And it feels like in twenty twenty three, distance is more important.
Speaker 2: Is that fair to say.
Speaker 3: Distance is more important? It's not a binary question, but if we frame it that way, distance is more important. But but we've cracked the code. There's a ratio. There's a ratio of distance accuracy, and we got tools to evaluate it. It's important for both fitters and golfers alike to kind of understand that ratio. And hopefully this is help some fitters. Give yourself permission to consider having your driver go further. Our high inertia allows you to get away with it. Our shafts, our counterbalance allow you to go to a little bit longer. The tour players are playing longer length drivers than you think Victor, Joaquin, all these guys, So hopefully this is help folks, and it quite frankly, Shane, it's fun to hit it far.
Speaker 2: It's a lot more fun.
Speaker 1: I'll say that it's more fun when you're vomited by your buddies. How often is distance brought up by tour players? You mentioned Victor, You've obviously mentioned Joaquin. Tony is a guy that's kind of effortlessly long. I mean, he can hit it much further if he wanted to on tour, but he's a little bit more of the guy that's kind of take a distance off to hit a little bit more controlled t ball. How often are they talking about distance on a week to week basis, considering how obsessed it feels like we are with the players that hit it the longest.
Speaker 3: Shane, that is such a great question. The super long hitters like Tony, he used to be longer. He could hit it longer. We've seen him hit at four hundred yards in Utah if he wanted to write. The guys who are already really long there, they just want to be mindful of the just the dispersion, because after you hit it so far down there, there's kind of a there's an ass toad to with you reach, or a ceiling that you reach. We're hitting it. For Tony to hit a ten yards further won't actually gain him that much, Like it's more about hitting the fairway. But if you're Victor who was more average speed four years ago when he first came on tour. Now he's way above average, but when he was average, I mean I played with him in the Phoenix Open and he was I was hitting it by him, you know a little bit, but he was. He was asking me about it. He was you could tell it was on his mind, Like, Man, I wish I could carry those bunkers that are those cross bunkers that Tony doesn't have to worry about, but I do. Like this is very agitating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like the bunker on three, the par five, It's like if I can just kind of get it past those after us.
Speaker 2: Then it makes that a par five now is a par four.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So that is on the mind. So your tour players that are average speed in below, it's always on their mind. And that's where you see him doing speed training. They're working on the stack. They're the ones that asking us, hey, trying a different scheft trying to go a little bit longer, experimenting with it. So it's you have these two groups. I would say the ones that are average in below they're trying to eke out because they know there is that real value. And then you have the players that are super long. They're more about being mindful of of of you know, hitting more fairways.
Speaker 2: Marty.
Speaker 1: Have you seen Tony just go after like just unleash one, because I mean you can see it when he's playing torquelf you can see that it's seventy ish percent. Have you seen them really go after one before?
Speaker 3: Not lately, Shane, but when he was playing like the Mini Tours and all heah break and all that stuff, that's when his swing, that's when he used to used to go after it. So I remember seeing him do that, like, you know, twelve twelve years ago, twelve fourteen years ago, when he was when he was playing the little mini Tours and his swing was you know, before him and Boyd kind of tightened it up into the world class player that he is. But I have not seen him do that lately outside of when he was having fun in Utah there a couple summers ago.
Speaker 1: I remember playing with Bubba years ago. I mean this was this was probably ten eleven, twelve years ago, and I think it was the last hole.
Speaker 2: We were playing a scramble.
Speaker 1: It was a charity event, and the last hole he looked at me and he goes, do you want me to hit the draw? And I said I I'd love to see it. And he hit just this dead straight ball. It probably cut a yard or two, but he probably went twenty twenty five yards longer than any t shot he'd hit throughout the day.
Speaker 2: And he kind of turned around and smiled. He said, did you like my draw?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: And that was him just having that he had a little bit more of a gear, right.
Speaker 2: He's not gonna lean on that in an event.
Speaker 1: May he does if it's an open fairway or wide open golf course like Kapalua, but he knows he can go in the bag and grab fifteen more yards if he really needs to. And what a benefit that is to a professional golfer to just have that back in the bag if you need it.
Speaker 3: I think a good example. One of the Masters that he won thirteen at Augusta was kind of downwind. H had the straight ball that went way down, way down, there and he had sand wedge in or whatever.
Speaker 1: I remember fourteen, Yeah, I mean he hit hit like three fifty over the trees and everybody, Marty, remember it was in the air, and everybody thought he'd hit it in the trees.
Speaker 3: And he was gonna lose the mask exactly same. Yeah, No, I thought the same thing. But I've seen him here in the launch pad out the proving grounds. He's hitting his his cut that he's hitting down on it like four or five degrees, three degrees, hitting down, swinging to the right for him as the lefty like you, and hit that big cut and then he'll he'll he is the most amazing in changing his delivery because then one swing later he hits up six. His angle attack goes from down four to up six and he hits it like thirty yards longer. And I think the lesson learned for the everyday golfer is that straightening your ballflight will gain you distance. Okay, and uh, if you have ample speed like you, you can hit little cuts for control and things of that nature, but you don't want to be curving it too much, because then that's going to start costing you too much distance. Going back to this, topic today, which is what is more important distance or accuracy. So you know, we see the only the very long tour players hitting it with a significant amount of curve, most of them when they're hitting draws and fades, it's pretty minor, like your beautiful little cut you've been hitting down hitting down there lately.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just so tight.
Speaker 1: When you go watch the modern day professional hit t shots, they're just tight. I mean, they don't want this a whole munch. Like their goal or what they're practicing is hitting that ball is straight as humanly possible and launching it without much side spe in. And that is again so different than what we saw, you know, a decade ago, where players would lean a little bit more on the side spin to help them get the ball in the fairway. It's just so wild how all of this stuff changes and deviates and improves, and a lot of it comes down to the technology that people like you and Ping do to make it easier on the golfer.
Speaker 2: So it's very cool to see.
Speaker 1: I'm playing golf after this podcast, and I'm so excited to go out there and just try to hit straight balls like that's my aunt of golf.
Speaker 3: Don't need to move it.
Speaker 1: Let's hit it straight, Let's get it in the fairway, and let's let the distance do its job.
Speaker 3: Shane I called the not so dreaded straight ball because the straight ball goes the furthest.
Speaker 1: Don't be scared of the straight ball. And you know what else, don't don't be scared of the straight putt. They go in as well. Everybody always gets so weird when the puts straight. You go, no, just knock that in the back of the hole.
Speaker 2: Just hit the driver straight.
Speaker 1: You don't have to move it, even if the whole kind of miable's left to right a little bit. But a very interesting topic, and I think one people are going to really like because you know, the driver has become the most important club in the back. I think the putter used to be it, but it feels like the driver is the most important and it's the one people are the most intrigued by and the one I think people are always looking at in terms of changing the club in their bags. So great insight, Marty. And again just a reminder if you're listening to this, If you downloaded the podcast and you want to kind of see what Marty was talking about, go on YouTube. You can even fast forward to the time stamp in terms of when this landed and when we really got in to the tools. But I think it's great to visually look at what Marty was talking about because it'll help you understand the benefits of bringing up some of these tools that you guys have and some of the tools you guys have out there for your fitters.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, Shane. I think what we've tried to do is, like you know what, you can get very confused or stuck in a fitting in even our fitters, like what numbers should I be looking at? Right? So these tools that we're building into Copilot helped make that super actionable. Trying to make again that make the complex simple. Which driver's going to be better, Like you know, this one a little further but that one went a little bit straighter, and and it doesn't mean you need to lean on this to one hundred percent make your decision, but use that with all the other things that you're experiencing in the fitting to to help upgrade your decision. And uh, yeah, this is a super fun topic. I think folks are gonna enjoy this. Uh you know, it's it's kind of like a never ending debate, you know, distance versus accuracy. So hopefully folks will level up their knowledge a little bit after this pod.
Speaker 1: Marty, let's mark it down in two years. Let's do this topic again and see if it's the same.
Speaker 3: Oh, I love it.
Speaker 2: We'll do it. We'll do it at twenty five and see what comes up. That is Marty. I'm Shane and this is the Paying Proving Grounds Podcast.