Speaker 1: Welcome to Before Breakfast, a production of iHeartRadio. Good Morning. This is Laura, Welcome to the Before Breakfast podcast. Today's episode is going to be a longer one part of the series where I interview fascinating people about how they take their days from great to awesome and the advice they have for the rest of us. Today, I am delighted to welcome Catherine Soulman to the program. Katherine is a career coach. She works primarily with ambitious women, helping people figure out their own definitions of success. Her most recent book is called The Four Jobs Club. She's going to explain to us what that means, and it contains advice from various C suite women about how they are managing all aspects of their lives. So Catherine, welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Oh happy to be here, Laura.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much for coming on. Why don't you introduce yourself a little bit more to our listeners. Tell them about your career and your life.
Speaker 2: Well, I have worked in every way that you can think of. Started out in the corporate world and then went off and did a couple of entrepreneurial ventures. I've worked part time, I've worked freelance, I've worked consulting as a marketing and communications person. I've always considered myself a writer, but my mission since twenty twelve is to help women stay in the workforce, and doing so in one of the ways that I've done it because I really believe that today there's so many ways that you can work and still have your family and have your four jobs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you have raised a family along the way as well.
Speaker 2: Correct, Yes, I have two adult daughters, both living in New York City and working there, and they seem to still love me.
Speaker 1: Well, that's good. So you figured out a lot of tips along the way from your own life as well. So maybe you can tell us what are these four jobs of which you speak. What are the four jobs that people are juggling.
Speaker 2: Well, it's the paid job, whatever that may be. And then there is the job of raising children, the job eventually of caring for aging parents, which can sometimes start earlier than you think, and then the job of taking care of your household.
Speaker 1: And so for this recent book, The Four Jobs Club, maybe you can talk a little bit about the process of that. You interviewed a lot of incredibly successful women about their lives.
Speaker 2: Correct, I did, and what I wanted to do. I around the time of the pandemic, I did a big national survey and one of the big things that I found out is that women at the mid level and rising up from there really don't feel that they are getting enough guidance from women in the C suite about how they managed to stay in and how did they do the four jobs. And you know, a lot of the corporations talk about leadership and you know, how can we get you to the top, and how can you be a better negotiator, and how can you expand your expertise and all of that. But the fact of the matter is that if you don't have the four jobs figured out, a lot of times women just don't feel that they have the bandwidth for those four or the next big promotion. So basically, I decided that I wanted to ask those C suite women how they did it. And it's not a profile of each of the fifty women. It's really a compilation of more than two hundred tips, you know, easy and easy out of you know, different ways that you can approach all of those four jobs.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, when I was reading through the book, I noted that that there were a lot of it's very digestible, So it's not that you're going to have to hear all about you know, some some successful woman's life start to finish here, but that you know, you might cover the topic of say childcare, and then you know, have ten tips from different people about what was most important as they were figuring out relationships with their caregivers. Something like that. Absolutely, Well, why don't we go through a couple of those categories that you talked about in the book and maybe you can share some of the practical strategies that people shared with you, as you know, that would be helpful for our listeners. So one that I found interesting toward the end of the book, you said volunteer with passion and precision. So what does it mean to volunteer with passion and precision and what would that look like as I'm deciding what to take on.
Speaker 2: Well, one of the things about volunteering is that your kids love to see you at school, for example, and you know, so there are certain things that maybe you want to do a little bit of you know, where you can get into the classroom, but you also can be more precise about what you're volunteering for, and it can be more on your time because it's hard for a lot of women to get to school during the day. So it can be things that are done at night or on the weekends. And it also can be things where you are using your business skills. And a lot of the women in the book talked about how they really brought their business skills to the schools or the community organizations and really found that it was more efficient for them and it was more efficient for their committees. And then you know, obviously having a passion about you know what it is that you're giving your time to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, because if you're not enjoying it, then there's not a whole lot of time point of using your time for it, Which is the same thing for work.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: You found that a lot of the women talked about make sure you really like your work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, make sure you like your work, and also make sure that your work is really fitting your life, because I think that satisfaction or joy that you get from work is really masked by a bad structure, you know, where you really don't have any breathing room.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so try to figure out how to get more breathing room in your life is good. RS all right, Well, we're going to take a quick ad break and then we'll be back with more from Catherine Sulman. Well, I am back interviewing Catherine Sulman, who is the author of the book The Four Jobs Club. She's a career coach who's worked with many ambitious and successful women over the years, so she's sharing some of the tips from the book. Another one you had is about expanding your definition of family time. Now, what does it mean to expand your definition of family time?
Speaker 2: Well, I think when you're a working woman and you're maybe you don't do a lot of fun activities during the week and everyone's just running through their work and school routines, that can be another source of feeling guilty. You know, Oh my god, you know, I've got to plan something amazing for the weekend. So you know, my kids feel like we're you know, we're really fun. And what I really found from so many of the women is that they made important family time out of things that you know, we're pretty ordinary, you know, just you know, cooking together or doing you know, the family traditions around Christmas, Sorhnica or wherever. It didn't have to be a big planned event and that was another way to let yourself off the hook and not get caught up in that perfection cycle, so.
Speaker 1: That, for instance, a weekend doesn't have to have a ton of different events to still be enjoyable and yeah.
Speaker 2: Well not only enjoyable, but just meaningful time spent with your children. You know, it doesn't have to be a big, huge event.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I think awareness is a big chunk of all of this, right that you know, you can recognize that you're all there together and sort of linger in that time and make the most of it, rather than feeling that there must be some amazing other thing that you should be planning into the time.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So what does it mean to be I want to go back a little bit to that passion for the work to be true to your professional DNA, because that was another tip in your book. What does that mean?
Speaker 2: Well, I think that women have been hearing a lot of messaging from the what I call the power sisterhood, you know, Ryl Sandberg saying, you know, we all need to lean in, and you know, there's that feeling that we've got to get more women to the top. And you know, certainly I believe that more women should be in the c suite. But the operative word there is not should be, it's if they want to be. And you really have to think about what your definition of ambition and successes. They're an awful lot of successful women who make great contributions to various organizations without being in the C suite. And sometimes you just don't have the bandwidth to be in the C suite now or forever, and so I always say it's okay to lean in between, and often through lateral moves, you can still be expanding your portfolio of skills and expertise.
Speaker 1: But you really encourage women to stay in in some capacity. That's my takeaway from a lot of your writing is that even if you are dealing with intense stuff in your personal life, you know, between your kids or your parents or anything along those lines, that trying to figure out a way to at least keep a hand in is important. Maybe you could explain why that has been your philosophy.
Speaker 2: Yes, and that is my philosophy. I really do put my stake in the ground. So I'm not one of the people saying, well, you can have it all, but not at the same time, you know, not that I believe that women should always work in some way from college to retirement. But that doesn't mean that you have to work eighty hours a week and never see your kids and travel and commute long distances and all of that. I mean, today you can basically work ten hours a week and keep your hand in. And a lot of what I believe derives from my career coaching work, where I really feel that I'm often asked to be a psychiatrist as much of a as a career coach, and I am not trained as a psychiatrist, but I do get a lot of women who are coming to me with pretty sad stories about you know, husbands lost big deal jobs, got divorced, first husband, got sick and can't work anymore. You know, a lot of a lot of stories, and I call them life. You never knows, and you know, life happens to all of us. And so I just believe that if we're going to ensure our houses and we're going to ensure our cars, we need to ensure our financial security as well. And one of the ways that women can do that is to really keep your hand in all the time.
Speaker 1: Because it adds up over time, and then you know, if you are working ten hours a week, presumably you have some possibility of scaling up if you needed to, whereas if you were working none, it might be harder to get your foot in the door. Is that what you're saying?
Speaker 2: Yes? Absolutely, And when women come to me, they often say, you know, I don't know if I can do this anymore. There's this going on and that going on, and you know, I need to take a couple of years off and get things in order. But the fact is that those couple of years that they have in their minds, that turns into an average of twelve because life happens and happens and happens, and there's always a reason not to go back, and there are you know, huge amounts of money and career progression, and you know just that you're giving up every year that you're.
Speaker 1: Out well, and also just a mindset too of like what is possible when you haven't been combining the two. I believe, Catherine, if I can remember correctly, it was at a conference that you were running where somebody raised her hand and said she was nervous about getting back in the workforce because when we're the bathrooms going to get cleaned. I think that was literally what she said. And you know, of course that strikes me as odd because you know, many millions of families have two working parents or at least a female part in the workforce, and the bathrooms either get cleaned or at least aren't hurting anyone. But you can truly believe that there's no space for things if you don't have the practice of combining these things.
Speaker 2: Well, yes, and I think the other issue that you're alluding to, or that woman was saying pretty strongly, is that she felt it was her responsibility to clean the bathroom. And really, in twenty twenty four, it's it's it's astonishing that women still feel that those four jobs are solely on their shoulders, and it's it's really about figuring out how to divide and conquer in the household and with the family responsibilities, so that you know that the bathroom's going to be cleaned and everything else is going to get done within reason. And I always quote you my favorite, one of my favorite quotes of all times is done is better than perfect. And you know, so there's a certain amount of reality that has to be injected into your life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and real quick mentioned you know, you do talk about negotiation with other adults in a household, about sharing the load. I wonder if there's any sort of practical suggestions from the women you interviewed about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was really very interesting. There's a obviously a misconception that women in the C suite have running hot and cold, running help and oh, well, of course they can do the four jobs because they have these big jobs and they have you know, big salaries, and they can outsource everything. But what I found out is that just virtually all of them, they led pretty regular lives, you know, going to the grocery store and cooking dinner and getting home for dinner and all of that. But what they really did is they didn't throw money at the four jobs. They threw organization at the four jobs. So they brought their business skills home and they really created systems and processes and agreements with their spouse, their partner, and their kids about how all of this was going to get done. And really one of the biggest issues is not saying you know that the husband or partner doesn't say, oh, well, how can I help you? Because you know it's your kids too, it's your household too, and so instead of how can I help you? It's what can I own? And once once there, you know, you get several of those things off your plate, then the mental load of the four jobs really gets much lighter, and you start to think I can stay in the workforce, I can keep doing this.
Speaker 1: Excellent. Well, We're going to take one more quick ad break and then I'll be back with more from Catherine Sulman. Well, I am back. This is before breakfast. I am interviewing Catherine Sulman, who is the author of The Four Jobs Club. She's a career coach. She's worked with many successful and ambitious women over the years. So Catherine, let's talk about one last tip from your book, which was to put self care on the top of your to do list. And I gotta say, every time I hear the self care and I'm picturing the bubble baths, I'm getting a little like, man, I don't know if the bubble bath's really gonna help. So maybe you could describe a little bit more about what it actually means to put self care on the top of your to do list.
Speaker 2: What I've found with these women, just taking exercise as an example, they scheduled ex size the way they scheduled business meetings, and so again this is you know, the business structure that they brought to their lives as well. So they would say, you know, they a lot of them got up at crazy early hours, but which I couldn't do. But still, you know, it was every day at five o'clock they were going to do this, or every day at seven o'clock they met friends for a walk or whatever. But it was it was routine and it was non negotiable. And so that was one one thing. But the other thing I found with these women is that they they really identified things that gave them peace and relaxation. Like one woman said that she would go in her bedroom and shut her door for an hour after dinner and she would read about art and it just you know, would calm her, clear her mind, you know whatever. And her family knew that that was her time. So it's they were really intentional about self care.
Speaker 1: Excellent. Well, and let's talk a little bit about you now, because obviously you're running busy career coaching practice doing various things where you have the connections to get, you know, all these C suite women to talk with you. Maybe you could talk a little bit about your own routines. Do you have any sort of daily routines? He said, you don't wake up at the crack of dawn to exercise, but is there something else that is a regular part of your life.
Speaker 2: Well, I love to cook, so I I really think about, you know, what's a great dinner for tonight most of the time, and that really relaxes me. And you know, just knowing that I have that ahead of me is something that I look forward to. And I'm also a religious news watcher at night. I love that relaxing.
Speaker 1: It seems like it wouldn't be relaxing at all.
Speaker 2: I know, I know it's probably not in many ways, but I just I just love that connection to the world.
Speaker 1: So you have sort of the evening routine of a very nice, well thought through dinner. Now you sit down and you watch the evening news. Is that how that works?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I love it. That's lovely. When do you do your planning, like, do you have a daily or weekly planning routine that works for you?
Speaker 2: I pretty much am thinking about what I'm going to do the next day, you know, a big list maker at the end of the day, and you know, try to get through it. I mean One of the things that I have gotten better at is not thinking that I'm going to get through fifteen things, and I try to segment, you know, what's the most important in all of that, so that you know, I really feel accomplished.
Speaker 1: Are big fans around here of limiting the to do list, right. There are a lot of people who listen to this who do get up at crazy early hours at the podcast called Before Breakfast. But whatever time we're getting up, limiting the to do list is always smart. So, Catherine, we always talk on this show about something you've done recently that has taken a day from great to awesome. So I'm curious if there's something you've done recently that's just made a day extra good for you.
Speaker 2: It's it is going into New York and visiting my girls. You know that that family connection, I mean, we all have that, but when your kids are not living at home anymore, you know, and with texting and everything else that we do stay in touch quite a bit, it can be you know, the in person connection can be lost a little bit. And so you know that we've had a lot of birthdays in the fall, and we've had some really great times in New York altogether.
Speaker 1: So you go in and like take them out for the evening.
Speaker 2: Yes, we do the dinner and you know, all kinds of fun things, walk around, go shopping.
Speaker 1: Sounds lovely. I don't know. My kids are most in the sort of teen high school age, and I'm sort of seeing in a couple of years that, uh, you know what it's going to be like visiting them as adults, and you know, I think it'll be interesting to see how they schedule their lives. Well, what are you looking forward to in the upcoming few weeks.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm definitely looking forward to the book launching on January seventh, and I'm just having like such great conversations with people. As a result, I'm talking to a lot of corporate employee resource groups, and you know, the things that that people talk about in their in their own lives, you know, the challenges that are not necessarily dire, but they're they still are hard and they've they've got to figure it out. And what I love is, you know, actually being in the room with people and seeing the light bulb go off, you know where they're like, oh, maybe I could try that, because really none of this is rocket science. It's just a matter of trying this and trying that, being a little more organized. It's a good.
Speaker 1: Approach to life in general. Well, Catherine, thank you so much for joining us. Where can our listeners find you?
Speaker 2: I am at Katherinsolman dot com and the book will be available in bookstores and Amazon and all the regular places.
Speaker 1: Awesome. Well, thank you so much for joining us. Thank you to everyone for listening. If you have feedback on this or any other episode, you can always reach me at Laura at Laura vandercam dot com. And in the meantime, this is Laura. Thanks for listening, and here's to making the most of our time. Thanks for listening to Before Breakfast. If you've got questions, ideas, or feedback, you can reach me at Laura at Laura vandercam dot com. Before Breakfast is a production of iHeartMedia. For more podcasts from iHeartMedia, please visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.