Speaker 1: Native Lampard is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media and speaking of elected officials who are accountable to the people, who are regularly representing what we need done, ensuring that our voices are heard, and that there's an advocate in one of the highest offices in Minnesota. Please join me and welcome me your Attorney General, Keith Ellison. He's got a receiving line, y'all, he's.
Speaker 2: Coming, Attorney General, Keith Ellison. Ladies and gentlemen, I mean I try.
Speaker 1: I said, I'm channeling Angela Davis. That's who I was named after. I yield the floor to the Attorney General there.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Angela Hey, thank you guys for being out here tonight. I can't think of a more important place for you to be. Our country, in our state, in our city, in this very moment, has been the site of the largest single escalation of ICE agents of immigration officials in the history of the United States. Ordinarily, ICE has about one hundred people for.
Speaker 4: The five state area, the five state area.
Speaker 3: Now they have four thousand ICE agents for just the state of Minnesota, which is an increase. I don't have to tell you what's been happening. You live here, you've been seeing it, you've been experiencing it yourself.
Speaker 4: But this blanket of.
Speaker 3: Attack is certainly not normal, not justified, and it's not legal. So what we have done about Operation Metro Surge, first of all, as we filed a lawsuit which was heard yesterday, and what we argue was very simple that if the federal government cannot bully and take over Minnesota and pass laws to make us do what the federal government wants, if they can't do it with an executive order or with a piece of legislation, they certainly can't do it with four thousand armed, masked men. If they couldn't pass the law that said all Minnesota law enforcement is now an ice agent, which they could not do, they certainly can't say, oh, you don't want to do it our way, We're going to send people with guns in large numbers to your state to intimidate and even kill people. At the end of the day, I believe we are going to prevail because we're right and what we're doing is just, and I am telling you that we're not here to back down. And I will also tell you this, there is no legal barrier to a state prosecutor.
Speaker 4: Charging a federal agent. You understand there's.
Speaker 3: No legal barrier. I've been a lawyer for thirty six years. I'm here to tell you that law and morality are not the same thing. That unjust things happen in the name of the law. But what I'm telling you is that it is not a fact that the federal agents can commit crimes in this state and never have to worry about accountability. You heard the Vice President of the United States tell you absolute immunity. I don't know if he's lying or if he just doesn't know the law, but he's absolutely wrong. You could pick lying or ignorant, but he's wrong either way.
Speaker 4: You can pick either one. But it is not the case.
Speaker 3: And the real challenge, and I'm just gonna be very clear with you guys, is the pragmatic reality of completing an investigation and then getting a case to a grand jury or getting enough probable cause to charge.
Speaker 4: Now, there's a lot of cases.
Speaker 3: That are hard to bring because you do have evidentiary barriers. In this situation, there's so much video evidence. There is so much video evidence, and look, so the reality of the situation is I'm not going to stand Uparia and say I'm charging that dude with this, and I'm gonna tell you why, because that would be improper.
Speaker 4: Prosecutors shouldn't do that.
Speaker 3: You all will remember when George Floyd was murdered, first we got the evidence together, then we charge all four of them with murder. H I'm just using that as an example to let you know that nobody here should feel that these people are just gonna skate on this.
Speaker 4: Okay, you shouldn't feel that way. Now. When when when on the first time.
Speaker 3: When they killed uh Renee Good, local police went and said, we need to process the crime scene, find evidence, put put things down, you know, the little little cards and put the numbers down, and make sure that we process the scene.
Speaker 4: And the federal agent.
Speaker 3: Said, no, you're not going to be allowed to do that, and we're going to take the casings, we're gonna take this car, and we're going to take the gun.
Speaker 4: So then it was like, okay, that's different.
Speaker 3: And then they shot a man in North Minneapolis who's who survived only right over there some of y'all might have been who was there that night in North Minneapolis when it was when the chemical irritant was in the wear ear like smoke everywhere.
Speaker 4: Good to see you there, Latania.
Speaker 3: And then but and then they said, no, you're not going to process that scene. So now on this one, we hear about Preddie getting shot. We went to court and got a court order and got a judge to rule that the evidence may not be destroyed, may not be tampers with, and we have to have access with it.
Speaker 4: And the judge issue the order Saturday night.
Speaker 3: We were back in court yesterday arguing it and the court is not ruled yet, but we are confident that they're not going to be able to mess around with this evidence. So what I'm just telling you that that whether it's a civil action that we've taken or whether it's the criminal cases, we are going to do everything we can to make sure there's truth and accountability here. Now, let me just tell you this, this situation, this oppression that Minnesota is under right now, will not be solved in a courtroom. It just won't be Like so after the Floyd case, did police brutality stop. No, That's why at the time I said, this is not justice, but it is accountability. The real justice and the real freedom and the real true democracy will be because you go out in the street and demonstrate and say no to this oppression. It is the people in the street, in the hearts and the minds of the people marching in nine below weather, standing up and saying no, We're not going to let you roll over us this way, which is going to win the day, together with elections, together with the artists, together with all of these things that we collect to try to create a just society.
Speaker 4: And it's not overnight.
Speaker 3: And I cannot guarantee you perfect safety as you fight for justice any more than people could guarantee Martin Luther King. Oh, nobody's ever going to hurt you if you stand up for justice, or nobody's ever gonna hurt you. Nobody's ever gonna harm you if you protest.
Speaker 4: Jimmy Lee Jackson, we all know what happened.
Speaker 3: There's no guarantee of perfect safety when an oppress or feels threatened that you're trying to be free yourself. So at the end of the day, friends, I am asking you to protest. I'm asking you to protest peacefully and safely. But I would rather you be out there facing those bad guys and that is exactly what they are than sitting at home worrying about your own comfort and safety safely not doing anything. We need people to be We need everybody to do whatever they can do. And some people, look, they got bad needs, they've got disabilities.
Speaker 4: They can't be out there protested.
Speaker 3: Well, maybe you can make calls and get people to the election that's coming up. Maybe you can do mutual aid for people who are shut up in their homes and can't even go to work because they're scared to isations going to stop them. But at the end of the day, all of us have to do something in this movement that we're in, and you being here tonight is doing something, is doing.
Speaker 4: Something important, because let me tell.
Speaker 3: You, presence is Presence is power, friends, witnesses power. And let me tell you the bad ones out there who are trying to press all of us, they know very well that you're having a meeting here tonight at the Capri.
Speaker 4: You think they don't know.
Speaker 3: If they knew, if they were spying on you in the sixties. You think they're not spying you on you in the twenty twenties.
Speaker 5: Of course they are, But screw them.
Speaker 4: We're not scared of them.
Speaker 3: And I don't care if mister Miss Christinoan knows that I'm here working with you guys.
Speaker 4: And you should not. And if you're scared that she's going to know about you, be they or you in the wrong place. This is this movement.
Speaker 3: We are guarantee success because we are faithful. We are guarantee success because we are faithful, and we won't quit and we won't ever give up. Now, a last word that I want to say to you, And I don't know if Angela wants me to answer any questions or not, but there is one word I want to say to you before I rap. I want to urge you and talk to you about the fundamental importance of human solidarity in this moment, because so often we're oppressed based on our identity and as African Americans. You and I know two hundred and forty six years of slavery, one hundred years of Jim Crow, and disparities in race every single year after that, there's never been a moment where black life in America has been celebrated in official channels. The one time somebody black becomes president, it scares this country so bad that it brings on Donald Trump.
Speaker 4: So you and I both know the deal here. But what I'm saying to you.
Speaker 3: Is, as a child who's as a child of African descent, as a black man in America, who can trace my roots in America since seventeen forty two, I can.
Speaker 4: These folks can't tell me I don't I'm not from here.
Speaker 3: And no black person in this room whose ancestors came here and slavery can be told you're not from here. But did you know that you were not a citizen up until the fourteenth Amendment?
Speaker 4: Did you know that?
Speaker 3: Did you know that the Supreme Court justice in the United States, the Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court, said black people who were born, lived their whole lives, and died in this country for seven generations up until the about eighteen fifties were not citizens. So this thing about citizen his own always been racially informed. Did you know that the first statutes on immigration to this country said only free white people could come here. It wasn't until nineteen sixty five that Asian, Latin American, and African people could immigrate to the United States. Immigration was a civil rights bill, just like the Voting Rights Act was.
Speaker 4: And so I'm gonna send me over here like a sign man.
Speaker 5: He just said, might drop.
Speaker 1: Okay, y'all give it up again for Attorney General Keith Dallison.
Speaker 5: He walked all the way out. We love him.
Speaker 1: We're so grateful for his passion, first commitment, for being here with us this evening again on such short notice. Thank you so much, Attorney General Keith Ellison. I'm bringing out my co host Andrew gillim Bacari Sellers. We have a quick pianel with some clergy folk who are doing tremendous work.
Speaker 5: Who cares about truth when the last more.
Speaker 4: Than saying it.
Speaker 1: As you all know, there was a big organizing effort with clergy at the airport just last week. It is important that folks are raising their voices because we know there's a whole other one that has a whole church. But he's also working with ice, but we'll talk about that another time. Please welcome to the stage Reverend doctor Kiaren McKinney, Professor and Community Liaison at Betha University, Minister Janeyamuri be Betsamurray Believe, Co Executive Director of Faith in Minnesota, and Isaiah and our good sister when Tana Mellikin Executive director of Groundwork Action co hosts.
Speaker 5: You're coming back out.
Speaker 1: We're gonna ask some quick questions and I know we're getting the calls to action. So the hour is late and we got to work. I don't know where when Tana is, but she will join us soon hopefully. All Right, Well, first of all, ladies, can you talk about the importance of motivating and moving clergy to act at a time like this. I think about the letter from the Birmingham jail and what doctor King was challenging us with.
Speaker 5: Come I Andrew challenging.
Speaker 1: Us with, and it feels like this moment is yet again a choice between white nationalists, Christianity and black liberation theology and then somewhere in between everybody else when Tana, everybody give it up for when Tana we introduced one Tina Mother King. Yes, but I want you to weigh in on that Janay, and then I'll yield to you.
Speaker 5: I mean absolutely.
Speaker 6: The reality is that we are we are going to constantly recreate history and we get to beat the ciders on if we're going to be history makers in the midst of it. And so I would say it is not just about frankly agitating the Church, but it is about agitating America that proclaims and professes to be the Church. And so when you are living in a place in the land that weaponizes my Jesus and my Bible, I am I find it incredibly important that people who say that they know God, say that they know Christ, actually live that out and call other folks into it. And so the action that we took on Friday, on the Day of Truth and Freedom, even the fact that that I think it's important to say, even the fact that day came into being was because of a bunch of people of faith and union leaders and community members who said that we are going to take ourselves seriously enough to build the kind of power to orchestrate the kind of organizing necessary to have something like that. Because the reality is that people can call for an economic blackout or a general strike and like say that thing. But then you got to look back to what happened in Montgomery, Alabama in nineteen fifty five. When folks in a church said we're going to have the Montgomery bus boycott. It was not just oh, let's do this thing and we're going to say it and it'll happen. They put in the ground game to have three hundred and eighty one days of people being able to get to work, to be able to get their kids, to be able to go to groceries and not take the bus, and so with a man and so I do think that people of faith have to make sure that we are truly taking ourselves seriously enough to strategize what does it mean to do something today, what is it going to mean for us tomorrow, what is it going to look like for our people to day after that, and actually put in the real grit in organizing that's required to make that kind of thing come to be.
Speaker 7: I had a shirt that said, Jesus is not just a Sunday thing because a lot of times we don't ascribe to the notion that they teach us in the Book of James that says that faith without works is dead. Because sometimes we become a very praying people, our knees get sore, we put holes in the carpet and forget that we have to put our shoulder to the wheel on Monday to go out and get out the ditch. My question is about the disconnect that the church has perceived with this new generation that's coming up and how we as believers of whatever can bridge that gap because we need them in our doors. The church used to be Andrew and I we were having this discussion and Angela as well last week on the show, but we all agreed that the church used to be that, and our stress used to be the epicenter of change. That's where we had our organizational meetings, that's where we had our precinct meetings. That's where we fed the hungary in our communities. I mean, this event in nineteen sixty five would have been in somebody Baptist church in Minneapolis. Doors, open bus is going to get folks bringing them here church moms. I mean, so, how do we get back to that or evolve to the next iteration of that while also opening our arms to a generation that feels is that the church is not their home anymore. And for me, that's that's almost devastating.
Speaker 8: McKinney, that's a hard one, see because and maybe it's because I'm older, and that disconnect, I see, it's there. I have ninety four nieces and nephews, ninety four nieces and nephews and grand nieces and great grands and so when I started doing this, I started calling up my nieces and nephews and saying, come come with me.
Speaker 9: You have to care. You don't have a choice. And it's like, oh, that's a Karen reverend and Karen. But some of them listen.
Speaker 8: So I think there's a disconnect, but there's also you know, they see what's going on and they care. And so when I said come to this training, you know, some of four of them showed up and came to the training and and it's like.
Speaker 9: You have you have to be out there with me.
Speaker 8: So so I think they're seeing and I'm not sure that that. I mean, I know there's a disconnect, but in my church, we have a rebirth of young people because I remember the days when you know, I'm standing and I'm shaking hands and standing by the door and there's not too many young people.
Speaker 9: But then I counted seven babies. I said, seven people with seven babies.
Speaker 8: Walk by, you know, and it's like, we're getting people, and so they want they people are hungry for it. And in my church, which is Fellowship Missionary Baptist Church, we we we are unashamedly black, yes, and we're proud to be a black church and own that even if all of our members are.
Speaker 9: Not, and so we want that that black history.
Speaker 8: We profess that, we say that we are proud of that, and we call forth people to be active and not sit back. And so you know, I was designated in my church to be when we started this Black Core Leadership Team, We're going to be one of these churches that is involved in Isaiah and faith in Minnesota. The pastor said, you take the lead on that. So I took the lead on that. And I was with those people who got arrested on Friday because I'm taking the lead on that, and that's the expectation. And there's all kinds of people from my churches and all the other churches that they put in and they say yes. And I left this meeting, left a meeting where people were saying, we're going to Caucus and are you committed to caucusing and are you committed to bringing ten more people with you to Caucus on February third, And people were saying, yes, I'm committed to this for the long run, and I'm going to ask my people.
Speaker 9: So we're still we're still doing it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 4: Give her a round of applause for that. I mean and I am.
Speaker 7: I mean, my last comment on this is that I am. I am absolutely unapologetic about the onus that I put on the Black Church. And the reason being is because I feel like as a community, and this may be right or wrong, but I'll probably die with this. We don't survive, but we thrive if our church is the foundation of our community, not just our faith.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would agree with you speaking of the foundation of our community. Sit next to someone who created the Groundwork Institute, And I want to just take a moment here because without Antana, protests and general strikes in all of that, the rally last week would not have happened last Friday.
Speaker 10: And so let's please give it up.
Speaker 1: For Auntana and all the work she's doing. And I also just want to acknowledge the human cost of the work she is battling to make sure that her loved ones are safe in the midst of putting her body on the line for all of us. And so I want you for a moment to talk about the fact when I'm acknowledging you give all of you to this community. I want to know and this is probably going to be very hard because you're a black woman in America, but I want to know what this room can give back to you.
Speaker 11: First, I just want to say thank you for having me. And I also want to say the only reason I was a part of the march in the rally last week is because Janey propositioned me to show up and take that role. Janey was the person that really was the foundation of it and called me into her team. They actually just voted me in on Monday as a physical member, and so I just want to acknowledge all the work she did.
Speaker 10: So thank you.
Speaker 12: So.
Speaker 11: As angel shared, I am an air trained American, I'm a US citizen, but I also am struggling with immigration issues across my family. I mean, just yesterday, when coordinating with Angela around this, I had a family member picked up and now they're in New Mexico and we're trying to figure out what to do about it. Lately, in Minnesota, most folks have been getting sent to Texas and how they're.
Speaker 10: Wet folks going to a new state.
Speaker 11: As y'all know, about three thousand folks have been picked up over the last couple of weeks.
Speaker 10: They have been sent all over the country.
Speaker 11: I have family members who are US citizens, I've had family members with green cards. I have folks with more complex statuses who have been picked up by ICE.
Speaker 10: There is no strategy, no theory.
Speaker 11: They are just picking up our community members and making them disappear. And at the same time, the other part of this battle is that I'm an executive director of not one but two institutions, Groundwork Institute and Groundwork Action, where I got to get up every day and do the political organizing and do the development and the training and all that at the same time, you know, having to figure out what ally can I send a whipple to pick up my cousin because I can't go back there again after you know, being there just a weeks before that picking a different family member. And so I asked for everyone in this community is to continue with the demands ICE out of Minnesota. Absolutely, I need you to contact your member of Congress and make those demands, your state rep, your city council member, every single level of government. The other thing I'll add is that last Friday during the march, I sat at my computer and I deleted my Netflix. I deleted every Postmates, all the little services I had, I canceled them. The only place I've been shopping at is my co op, Like folks that I know have already taken a political position to say we stand with immigrants, we don't stand with ice.
Speaker 10: And I have just been.
Speaker 11: Unapologetic about rethinking about the way I spend money, the way I move, and I encourage everybody else in this room to do that. And I just think one other thing I got a name that I think can't be forgotten about this moment is that I am very clear that the only reason I have the right to be in the United States is the work of black Americans. Is very clear that after passing the Civil Rights Act, and after the passing of Voting Rights Act, the Immigration Act was passed, after that, the work of Martin Luther King to open the door and all the others to open the door to allow immigrants into the United States. And so I very clearly see, after all the organizing I did for Jamar Clark and PHILANDEO Castile, I have very overwhelmingly seen the Black American community step up in this moment and stand in solidarity. And I'd be remiss if I didn't name that. And so I don't know what more to ask for. I have seen folks really step up in this moment, and I just encourage folks to continue to do it with their political power, their message, and their money.
Speaker 7: So I guess before we do our all actions out there, any final I mean, I'm a big I'm the person who's crying on the airplane. I have my hoodie own and they'd be like, why is he tearing up? Because it's a Marven Sap plan in my ear. So I'm that emotional guy who's crying. If any parting words for this audience, as we begin to bring this to a close of faith, the strength that we have, what we need to do to persevere to get through this dark time. You can preach a little bit, just a little bit. You're not that Baptist stuff.
Speaker 4: Love it.
Speaker 8: I would just I guess I would say God chooses no hands but our hands. God uses no hands but our hands and feet and and and so we have to choose. We have to choose to let God use our hands and feet. And we have to choose it every day. It's not a one time choice. You're not done, you know, and tomorrow I get to just lay in. No, we have to we have to choose it every day, and it matters for the generations that come behind us. What what kind of kids? What are what are our kids going to have? You know, if we keep going backwards, so we have to pick uh and we if we can't let go?
Speaker 9: Yeah, yes, that's whatever.
Speaker 13: Is said, man.
Speaker 6: I mean I would just lean, have us all lean into the story of the Good Samaritan, the notion that there is there when anytime there is someone who is hurting, someone who has beaten, someone who has oppressed, someone who is downtrotten, for whatever reason, we.
Speaker 9: Are called to do and to act.
Speaker 6: And there were folks who walked past that body and thought, I can't I can't do anything about that because if I do, what happens to me? And the one who decided to stop said I if I keep going, what happens to them? And I think there is a collective what happens to us if we don't act? And so is that is the call? And for the Minnesotans. I can't end this without saying for the Minnesotans who are in the room, especially black Minnesotans.
Speaker 5: February third is Caucus day.
Speaker 14: Okay, we we could talk all day and like those settings like this, but it is so incredible important that we use our voice and having oversize an outside stay about what happens.
Speaker 5: In our state and in our country.
Speaker 6: And you get the opportunity to do that when you caucus, and when we caucus together in unity.
Speaker 5: A man, Okay, I go to a.
Speaker 10: Catholic church, so I can't sermon like that. It's not in me.
Speaker 11: I'll try my best, So I just I'd be remiss if I didn't talk about what happened. About an hour before I walked in this room, a congersoman Omar at her town hall was standing there talking about how we need to hold the federal government accountable. And a man walked up to her with a substance and spread.
Speaker 9: Her in the face.
Speaker 11: And you know, I have to also talk about how commersoone orders won.
Speaker 10: She swung back, She literally swung back.
Speaker 11: She approached him and then cleaned herself up and then continued the forum, continue the conversation.
Speaker 10: She put out a statement and said, we have to keep going.
Speaker 11: We have to keep fighting, and this is very difficult, this is absolutely horrific, but also we have to keep going.
Speaker 10: We have to keep fighting. So thank you all so very much. Let's give it up again.
Speaker 1: For Reverend doctor Karen mcginney, Minister Janney, We're so grateful for you all.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much.
Speaker 15: A young leader in this state. Y'all have potential on potential, on potential. Y'all have a pipeline here in this state of incredible young leaders and this one is no is no exception, and that is your Lieutenant Governor, Miss Peggy Flanagain. Lieutenant govern I'm gonna start with you with this question, which is simply the set out the states.
Speaker 13: What has it been like.
Speaker 16: Trying to lead during this time, supporting your governor, holding down your position, supporting these electeds around the state, and the most importantly, supporting your people. What's the state of mind? How are you all getting through this? And where do you diagnose where you are right now in this fight with the fades.
Speaker 17: Well, I would say we're exhausted, but not tired. And as we have watched over the last eight weeks, but like, let's be real, the surge has started, but ice has been here for a long time, and so you know what we have seen and I absolutely am eager to hear from my colleagues because they have been on the front lines. But what we have seen is just absolute chaos and fear, and what is being done under the guise of safety right couldn't be further from the truth. When there are two Minnesotans who have been killed by ice, when we have five year olds and two year olds who are being detained and brought to Texas, and just the lies, the lies, the continue to come out of this administration about the individuals who have been killed at their hands.
Speaker 10: It is outrageous.
Speaker 17: And so what I have seen over the last several weeks is.
Speaker 9: The best of Minnesota.
Speaker 17: It's folks who are stepping up, who are standing outside of schools and daycares and churches and getting food and mutual aid and responding in a way that I think folks who aren't expecting from Minnesota. But we care about each other, We stand up for our neighbors. And this isn't just about the Twin Cities. As we've been traveling across the state, ice is everywhere. Right We're in Alexandria, they're there, Detroit Lakes they're there, Saint Cloud they're there. And so this just terror has to stop, and they got to get out. And I want to just name something that I think is really there's a through line here. Individuals who are being detained are being brought to Fort Snelling, which was essentially a concentration camp for Dakota women, children and elders. And now that's where folks are bringing, you know, brought to in this moment. And so the through line is that the federal government continues this long cycle right of separating families of detention. And so I would say again, we are exhausted, but not hired and will continue to show up for our neighbors, continue to use non violent protest and resistance. And that's what you've seen happen all across the state. And so much of the groundwork that has been laid is because of the good organizing work that has happened over the last several decades in this state. People have relationships, they have trust, right and we can then just put all that into.
Speaker 4: Action and excellently give it a run of the clause.
Speaker 1: Oh, this Brether, I know very very well. We became close after I read his New York Times best selling book My Grandmother's Hands. And you all know that Resma Minicum is doing the work of the people every single day in Minnesota, making sure that we are able to process the trauma that we experience on a day to day basis a result wherever you want to say, we thank God for you. But I think that it's important for us to understand how we reckon with what's going on. And as doctor King Best said, where do we go from here?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 18: You know, Doctor King also said another thing. He said that just before he passed. He said, you know, I'm afraid that I've taken my people into a burning house, right, And I want to start there because a lot of times we start with healing like this, like it's this magical thing, right. And what I want to say is if in this moment in time, where people are being murdered in the streets, that our officials' only caveat is to say we need to be better, they are leading us into a burning building. You get to be angry in this moment, You get to be pissed off in this moment. You get to figure out how you turn towards each other as opposed to on each other.
Speaker 13: That's what they want us to do.
Speaker 18: And so when I talk about healing, about healing, I'm talking about how do we tend to the things snatching babies.
Speaker 13: Out of people's arms.
Speaker 18: They're executing people by shooting them in the back and in the chest, and don't care that you're filming it. They're shooting women in the face and then calling them foul names after they do it.
Speaker 13: They kneeling.
Speaker 18: And let me say this last piece. Ain't This don't sound healing, but it is healing. What I'm talking to you about is healing is tending to the things that are showing up and beginning to figure out how you use that as fuel for your liberation. Right, we're not going to get out of this and return back.
Speaker 13: Gavin Newsom ain't coming to save a Shaw.
Speaker 5: Can you say it again?
Speaker 1: Gay got mad at me when I went together.
Speaker 18: Gather Newsome, the current governor of Minnesota, are not coming to save us.
Speaker 13: Let me just ask this one question.
Speaker 18: What if what we're seeing right now is the best they got?
Speaker 13: What if there are no better angels?
Speaker 18: What if what we are seeing is all they got for us? What does that mean in terms of what we need to do right? And that's what I want to talk about when I say healing. So when your question about healing says, we have to start, nobody's coming to save us. The midterms ain't coming to save us. We are being asked right now, who are we going to be in the face of tyranny?
Speaker 13: That's the healing.
Speaker 1: Now to close us out, Thomas seen at Petras, one of your very own is going to join us again.
Speaker 5: To take us home. As we in Native Lampid.
Speaker 1: We will tell y'all what we always say, Welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 19: All right, ladies and gentlemen. And so I'm really proud to debut this uh this song. We just launched it called Don't Buy the Lie. Kashimana Ahua and myself wrote it for just this moment. We're honored to be able to sing it tonight. If you want to see the video, videographer with Jossi Uh did the video for us. It's available on Thomasina's music, dot square and YouTube. So this is for the love of our community and for you. Thank you for being here tonight and letting us use our voices this way.
Speaker 13: Oh.
Speaker 5: I got my head and my head. Oh you got me thinking.
Speaker 4: M mm hmmm.
Speaker 5: Sometimes I don't understand why you want me drinking. I got my head in my hands. Oh you got me fussing.
Speaker 20: Because you done up to my place. Now you got me cussing? Why you want me niked? Why you want me bood?
Speaker 21: Why you want me frighten, hopers and confused?
Speaker 22: It's gonna cuss you to because when they hurt me, they hurt you. We're all connected.
Speaker 23: Can't you see none of us surfere.
Speaker 5: To all of us surffery.
Speaker 22: You don't care who I am.
Speaker 5: You don't wanna know me, You just want to cos hop to Lord, show me you ignor true, rather be blind to see me. But the shame is on you.
Speaker 20: Because you could never own what's always been free?
Speaker 12: So afraid of faces, so afraid of truth, mostessing hatred.
Speaker 21: What's this world coming to? It's going to costume to cause when they hurt me, they hurt you. We're all connected.
Speaker 23: Can't you see none of us surfree?
Speaker 24: Normal to all of us surfree?
Speaker 19: I got my heart in my hate, dreaming of what could be?
Speaker 24: Or all in no vitalnce, Nos going hungry.
Speaker 25: No, no nose in addiction.
Speaker 5: Nos dying yards No, every life of secret more sacred than you.
Speaker 20: God.
Speaker 26: No, God's gonna lost you too.
Speaker 5: Husband.
Speaker 25: They hurt me, they hurt you. We're all connected. Can't you see? None of less are free.
Speaker 24: No to all of us surfree, none of those surfree, to all of us surfree.
Speaker 9: Can we say it to everybody?
Speaker 26: None of us surfree, so all of us?
Speaker 13: Thomas Singer, who Cuts Your Spy.
Speaker 1: Native Lampard is a production of iHeart Radio and partnership with Reason Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeart Radio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.