Speaker 1: The tech that can prevent ports pirates. What's going on? I'm Rich Demiro. This is Rich on Tech Erg Madies. Whether you believe it or not, ports pirates are a thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the USPS actually says they deliver eight hundred million holiday packages and nearly one third of Americans are reporting package theft.
Speaker 1: That's Google Search trends expert Justin Burr, So.
Speaker 2: Google's here to help with that. Actually, we have two security cameras, the Nest Cam and then the smart doorbell the Nest to load it can actually just help you know what's going on on your doorstep at all times, so you see a package be delivered and can go out there and make sure that it's not sitting out there for too long and actually just grab it and put it inside. So just making sure that you are aware of when that package is actually delivered, so you can't give those individuals any any time to actually go out there and potentially steal from the doorstep.
Speaker 1: I love my nestcams which do a unique thing with AI. They can actually recognize faces in and outside of your home and send you an alert when one of their cameras recognized as an unfamiliar face It's not always perfect, but it is pretty neat to get a little thumbnail sent to your smartphone that has a snapshot of the person walking up to your home. Both the nestcams and the Nest Video doorbell are great for live video, but you do need a subscription to go back and watch anything that just happened. So the other day, my kid fell in the dining room and we wanted to figure out what happened? Do you slip on the rug? What do you slip on a toy? When I went back to look at the tape from our nestcam, I realized it wasn't actually recording. Yeah, big problem. So when you first get one of these cameras, you do get the recording history as a free trial, but if you don't sign up for the monitoring service afterwards, you don't get it. So otherwise you can only access a live stream. And if you were holding out because it was too expensive for the monitoring service, you'll be happy to know that Nest just introduced a cheaper version of its yearly subscription, which is called Nest Aware. You can now get a five day recording history, which we'll have twenty four to seven video for five full days for just fifty dollars for the year. They still have the ten days video history for one hundred dollars a year and a thirty day video history for three hundred dollars a year. But I think for a lot of people five days is probably enough to know that something happened and you want to go back and look. You might need more time, though, if you're using one of these cameras at a rental property, or if you just like the idea of having the extra time. Nestcam start at two hundred dollars. The Nest Hello video doorbell is two hundred and twenty nine dollars. The big thing to know about the video doorbell from Nest is that you need a wired doorbell. You also need a chime and the right transformer for it to work. It's not as diy as the video doorbell that started at all from the folks at Ring. Recently I met up with founder Jamie Simonov. He was famously on Shark Tank but did not make a deal. But a lot has changed since then.
Speaker 3: What Rings change is presence. So we were not in our neighborhoods where both you know, both spouses work. Now our kids are busier, so our houses are empty, and now we have these packages there. What Rings change is the presence someone comes up, you get an alert, you open it up. They're bending down and you have these videos. They're bending down to pick up that package and say, hey, get out of here. And that's how you can stop the porch piracy.
Speaker 1: Ring's second generation video doorbell is two hundred dollars. What's neat about Ring is that it can be installed on the outside of any home. Now, they do have models that do require some wiring, but they're basic versions. You just pop on the wall and that's it. It's ready to go as long as you have a Wi Fi connection. The new version of their product, the Ring Video Doorbell, too, has better video quality, plus a battery that you can easily pop out of the bottom of the device so you can recharge it.
Speaker 3: During the holidays. You want to be much more sensitive to this. There's just more of these packages out there, which brings out more of these porch pirates. So if you don't have a Ring, have a neighbor come over and check for packages. If you're going to be away, maybe ask the package person to put it around the side. There's things also like Amazon Key, which is a way of actually allowing the delivery to go into the home. So there's a lot of different options you can do. Obviously, we believe a ring system is great, but really it's delivering that presence of getting that package either out of the way or being as if you're home.
Speaker 1: I did a story with Ring back in the day when their first product was called the door Bot. I remember Jamie telling me that people didn't like the name because it was too techy for something that they placed outside their front door, which apparently many see as a very sacred place. So I wanted to know from Jamie after all these years, does having a ring video doorbell make a difference.
Speaker 3: So not only do I think having a ring has affected the difference of your safety, but we have video after video after video showing how it's proven that when someone comes and you answer it and you talk to that person, that we've been able to stop crimes before they happen.
Speaker 1: Earlier this year, Amazon purchased Ring for a reported billion dollars. These synergy makes a lot of sense. Less packages stolen mean happier customers and less money lost due to theft. Plus, Amazon can promote the heck out of Rings products.
Speaker 3: So yeah, Amazon purchased us earlier this year, and it's actually been great. They've really left us alone to build and to keep building on our mission and reducing crime in neighborhoods, and they've just they've been a great foundation to accelerate off of. So far, we've really worked more on just having them sort of assist RING at really realizing our vision and our mission it is. I mean, Amazon is a huge force, and you know, we're just happy to be part of the team with that.
Speaker 1: Ring charges thirty dollars a year for their monitoring service, which again I highly recommend. This lets you access recordings of everyone who walks up to your front door or rings your doorbell. Depending on how you have things set up, you can set up RING in two different ways. You can do these motion zones where anyone who walks in that zone will trigger a recording, or you can actually have it set up where it only records when someone actually physically presses the doorbell. That will result in longer battery life, but I find that the battery either way is pretty darn good. And finally, for a more fortified solution, I talk to the founders of dino Safe. This is another trend we're seeing giant lock boxes that you can put outside your front door. This goes back to the old days of the milkman. I used to have a lot of neighbors that had those refrigerated boxes where you get milk delivered outside your porch. Now those were not locked. Yes, people didn't really steal milk. But these things are giant kind of coolers that can hold packages and in this case, refrigerated goods because you actually plug the dino safe in and it's climate controlled. I talked to founder Rebecca Romanucci, founder and CEO of dino Safe.
Speaker 4: It's a container that secures to your porch and it's climate controlled. So now you can order all of your online orders that you normally do, but now you can also order perishable items like groceries and electronics, flowers, medication, and it's going to be kept safe from theft of porch pirates as well as secure from the elements heat, rain, ice, all of those things. So it provides the opportunity for us to order everything.
Speaker 1: So imagine a high tech cooler. This thing is a bit big, but we're only getting more and more stuff delivered. And this one even lets you get items like groceries, which is handy for Amazon Prime. Now sometimes you get milk delivered through their eggs. Whatever you need, this thing can hold on to it.
Speaker 4: It also has an alarm, so if it's moved, it will notify the owner as well as let your neighbors know.
Speaker 1: So how does it work, Well, it's all about those one time codes.
Speaker 4: You go over to our app, you get a one time use for digit code. You put that on the delivery instructions on your order, and when the delivery person makes that delivery, he or she puts that four digit code in. The device unlocks, they put the order in and it closes. This is the first device that also permits you to have multiple deliveries in a day. They all have their own code and they all lock as soon.
Speaker 1: As it's closed.
Speaker 4: Then you wherever you are receive an alert on your phone that or smart device that a delivery has been made.
Speaker 1: I love this idea and I'm getting lots of pitches for similar boxes. The Dino Safe is eight hundred and fifty dollars. It goes on sale in twenty nineteen. No doubt there will be plenty of others and the prices will come down. There are even apartment and condo buildings building in similar technologies. I mean, let's face it, the delivery thing is only going to get bigger, and to be able to get regular stuff, expensive stuff, and even cold stuff just takes the stress out of online ordering. Just want to say a quick thanks to everyone who has purchased a copy of my book, and boy there are a lot of you. Thank you so much for the support. It's called one hundred and one handy tech tips for the iPhone. If you're finding any of my book helpful, useful in enlightening, whatever, I would love a review on Amazon. It really helps, so thanks so much in advance for that. It only takes a second and it really helps other buyers of the book. You can find links to everything I mentioned here on the website, Rich on tech dot tv, or you can check the show notes. I'm Rich Demiro. I'll talk to you real soon.