Speaker 1: And good afternoon everybody. I'm Steve Schmidt with the Warning and very pleased this afternoon to be joined by the one, the only, Brian Tyler Cohen. How are you, Brian.
Speaker 2: I'm doing okay. Thanks so much for having me.
Speaker 1: You have written a book. It is excellent. I wish I could tell you that I am done with it. I am almost done with it the day after How to Wield Power in a post Trump world. This is an important book. I think the purpose of books is to get conversations going, and this is an important one. The Save America movement, of which I am a part of, is open and filled with people that represent a broad spectrum of politics that we rarely talk about. When we go into a meeting with a Democratic senator or representative and we have a couple one hundred thousand donors, actually more than a couple hundred thousand donors, and we'll say, with humility, speaking for the donors to the organization, that we have an expectation of you, and our expectation is not to be for a policy. It is to embrace the concept that the maximum abuses of the Constitution and of power demand the full and maximum use of all available political power everywhere to make it stop. And I think Democrats have done an awful job at this. And this is a conversation that will define the next presidential campaign. So I'm delighted to be able to talk to you a little bit about it, talk about what made you write the book and how you conceive of the use of power for what you call the day after. But let's be honest, right, it starts at the second power transfers at noon, and let's for the purposes of our conversation and envisional world where there is democratic control of the Senate, the House, and the White House on twenty January at high noon of twenty twenty nine.
Speaker 2: So thanks so much for asking me and for having me. The reason that I decided to write this was for the exact reasons that you laid out. It's because Democrats have been terrible at exercising power. And that would be bad enough unto itself, but when you contrast the asymmetry of how the Republicans not only exercise but abuse power, it becomes abundantly clear that until and unless Democrats learn how to wield that power effectively, we're going to continue losing at the hands of a Republican party that will change the rules of the game at every single turn to get what they want. I mean, the perfect example of that. Somebody who's in the news right now is Mitch McConnell, who, even on his deathbed, is figuring out ways to undermine the system to extract maximum political advantage for himself and his party. And so the reason that I wanted to have this conversation, this broad discourse right now is because let's entertain the hypothetical that you put forward, which is that Democrats have the House, the Senate, and the White House come you know, January twentieth, twenty twenty nine. I would rather use this time talking about what that looks like, so that when we actually have the ability to exercise power, we do it, that we that we don't spend that precious sliver of time that can go away like this instead and paneling a commission that we'll spend twelve to eighteen months discussing what the options are, and then they come back in and they go over their findings, and we make a determination about whether we want to implement those findings, and before you know it, that precious sliver of time is gone. So I want to have this conversation now about what it looks like when Democrats get into office, get into power, so that on day one we can determine are we going to eliminate the filibuster? Is making DC and Puerto Rico a state a priority of this party. Is expanding the Supreme Court so that we don't offer up a veto on any and all progressive or pro democracy legislation. Is that going to be acceptable for Democrats? Is it good enough to just get caught trying or do we want to have meaningful, lasting change? And if it's the latter, then there are things that we need to do right off the bats that we can set ourselves up for success and not just squander that time getting bogged down in process, like Democrats have a tendency to do.
Speaker 1: When you talk about when you talk about the party and you say, you know, the party has to learn to do something. This is professional sports in the sense that both parties are filled with elected federal officers, right they're all elected to the Congress, to the Senate. What is it that you think, Why is it that you think that one group is allergic to the use of power when they're in the business of power. And I don't mean to quibble, but I don't think it's a matter of learning. I think it's a matter of exercising will with intent. What I think that there's something that Democrats have to reckon with which is this? I find this astounding, it's incredible. Actually, after eleven years of this, the polling is clear the American people look at these two parties and they think the Democratic parties the more extreme to Trodnir. How do you account for that?
Speaker 2: So I want to answer the other question that you asked first, which is which is why do we get into a position where it becomes unclear why the Democrats fail to exercise power or refuse to exercise power and kind of get caught up defending these institutions. And I think the answer to that is that Republicans have been so quick to tear these institutions down. And so the knee jerk reaction from the left is, Okay, they're tearing everything down, and so we have to stand everything up. We have to protect these institutions exactly as they are. We have to to you protect an amber, all of the traditions and norms and processes of the Federal government. Now, it was actually a smart play by Republicans to position themselves as the destroyers of these institutions, because these institutions are not popular. They're the institutions that have ushered in an environment, a political environment where forty percent of Americans can't afford a four hundred dollars emergency. But that's how politics goes. You have one party that breaks something down and so de facto, the other party wants to protect those things. And I think that it was a miscalculation by the Democrats to think that we're going to be the party that protects all these institutions that are so aggressively unpopular that the vast majority of Americans are bucking against this system or pushing back against the system, are voting for people who outright say that they want to destroy this system. So I think that that has to be recalibrated, that we can have a democratic party that's going to say we're here to protect every single thing that Republicans are looking to tear down. Now, the Republicans have shown that these institutions are not sacricanct. The difference is they're doing it for their own self enrichment. They're doing it for their own entrenchment of power. My argument, my contention in this book is that Democrats have to be willing to tear down these institutions, but to do it for virtuous reasons. To make sure that we can do whatever we can to deliver climate change legislation, to do whatever we can to deliver affordable and accessible health care to every single person in this country. To do whatever we can to make sure that voting rights are expanded, that we have a Freedom to Vote Act and a Voting Rights Act, so all of these institutions can continue to be broken down. That's fine, I'm okay with it. I'm not advocating for blind deference to our traditions and norms, but you have to be willing to do it for virtuous reasons, which the Republicans are not. And I think the Democrats have to recognize if they want to get this stuff done, it's either our norms and traditions or the outcomes, but not both.
Speaker 1: I think that Democrats have an enormous blind spot about something which I'll share in a second. But I think there are two inherent design flaws around the arguments that both parties have made at a top level. For a generation, and going back to the Reagan era in the conservative movement, the argument was there, and there's truth in this at a common sense level, which is that it's best to make decisions closest to where the problem that that decision is being made around, and that if you can make it there, that's better. Now, the Republican mythology is that there's some type of wisdom in the country that is greater the further you get from Washington, right, and the lower the ranking the elected by, the more wise it is because it's closer to the people. And as a functional matter, I don't think that's true. And I remember going out and having my first experience at a Republican meeting when I took over Schwarzenegger's campaign in two thousand and six from leaving the Bush White House, and my first thought was, holy shit, right, these people out here make those people in Washington look like Lincoln's cabinet. And so that's not true, I think. On the Democratic side, I think this is deeply true, with probably a few exceptions in a few places, but it's a general proposition. I don't think there's anybody who encounters their government at a local level. I got to go in there for a zoning issue at a county level, at a state level, at a DMV level, who walks out of that experience, who says, God, that was great and efficient, And I think we ought to put those people in charge of more shit. And so none of the things that work right or or none of the things that are supposed to work it appears to many people work. And so if you're the party of government solutions, you have to be the party of government accountability in the sense that we insist for the taxpayer of getting a dollar ten value for every dollar spent on every program that we spend it on to make sure that that hungry kid at the end of the pipeline is getting what they're supposed to get. Man, Donnie just gave a speech about this, and honest to God, he's the first progressive in my lifetime that I've heard linked those two concepts together. And I think that's an enormous issue for Democrats.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, I mean, look, starting from the abundance discourse from Ezra Cline, I think that absolutely both of those have to be done at the same time. Can't just advocate for more power to the to the government without making sure that those the powers that were afforded to the government actually work. And so I think you have to do both at the same time. But you know, to your point, the most popular government programs right now, Medicare, Medicaid, and even the ACA are all examples of the system being able to work. And I agree that that you can't just have blind deference to heaping more power onto onto the government, especially in areas where it doesn't have any credibility, And so I think you do have to do both. But the reality is that right now we are seeing the chipping away at the ability of the government to be able to operate in a lot of these spaces, whether it's healthcare, whether it's you know, I take stuff.
Speaker 1: Is God all this Donald try t'roum destroy the architecture of America's strategic military alliances, our healthcare, scientific infrastructure. This outbreak of the food borne diarrheal diseases all over the country as a direct link to getting rid of food safety inspector so all of this stuff is gone. It's one of the great fantasies of the era is the notion that there's something there to come back into and fixed. It's gone we're gonna have millions of people dead all over the world from the destruction of USAID program. So all of this gets to be reimagined to suit a crisis. And one of the things that happened yesterday is probably the most important news of the year is you had a Ukrainian strike on an Iranian ship in the Caspian Sea for the first time, merged to theaters of war, a very serious time in the history of the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and and and the point that I that I think is worth making here is like this is we are in the midst of unbridled republican republican governance right now, where a lot of these systems are being torn down and the outcomes are objectively worse. Like tearing down all of and destroying and firing all of the Inspectors General, for example, which allows a lot of Elon Musk and and his you know, government business entities to do what they're doing right now, has created an outcome that is objectively worse for the vast majority of the country. It is consolidating power for him and destroying regulations that we need to rein in certain people from committing these abuses. And the same thing goes for healthcare, for example, for cancer research, for example, watching watching Donald Trump right now, use this Republican ethos or this maga ethos, I should say, of breaking everything. Is what it looks like when when you know you have the natural conclusion of this Republican project to shrink government down so that you can drown it in a bathtub. I mean, this is what it looks like. We have worse health outcomes right now, we have more consolidation in the business realm right now, worse pricing strategies for consumers. Right now, our antitrust sector has been completely gutted. And that's worse for consumers, that's worse for capitalism. So I mean we're looking at we're looking at the natural conclusion the results of these projects in real time. So I get that. On one hand, you can say that that the government is not the most efficient or effective player in this game, and I absolutely agree with that, And I think you and I are both on the same page that if you're gonna be in this space, you have to make sure that this stuff is reimagined so that you can actually do it in an efficient and effective way. But the opposite of that, where everything is just shrunk down and killed that the government had any hand in. We're seeing what it looks like when the government doesn't play a role in climate change and the effects of climate change are being exacerbated. We're seeing what it looks like when in healthcare the government takes a step back and is no longer a player in this space, or cuts cancer research funding, for example, or starts to push away the most brilliant minds in the world that we're coming to this country to do this work like this, what we're living through right now is an example in real time of what it looks like when we relinquish all of this talent and when we rip down all of the guardrails that we've been operating under for years and years and years. So again, I think you have to be able to walk in chew gum. At the same time, you have to be able to reimagine this stuff, because, as you said, it doesn't exist anymore. A lot of this stuff has been broken down, and if you're just going to prop it up in the exact same way that it was five years ago, you're gonna keep losing. So you have the ability right now, if you're the Democrats to reimagine this stuff, but it has to be reimagined in such a way that it will work. But the notion that the government can't do anything is so broken and is leading to, you know, the biggest differential in income inequality that we've seen in this country's history. That's happening right now as the results of Republican governance. So I think that you do have to be able to do both.
Speaker 1: Let me let me say to that. I think that one of the things that I would push back on a little bit is the notion of big and small government such as it is has never been bigger. We have mass federal agents running around the contrary in discriminately draw weapons two thousand miles from any border, immigration agents. We got government trying to break in the hospital rooms, birthing rooms, right the place of the death. There's never been more money spent on government. It's not that they looked at something and said we have to restrain spending or a problem. It's that it's just gone right in the corruption. And listen, I think in any room I've been in a lot of I deeply believe this is how this stuff should work. And this is why I think the political center is important in America is that you should be able to objectively identify a problem and have adults look at it from a different series of different set of perspectives and say, yes, that's a problem. Right. And then you have somebody who may be on the left, But what are we going to do to solve the problem? Right? We got to spend a billion dollars on this, right, And you're kind of sitting where I sit in politics. Wow, holy shit, right, a billion dollars And you look at the right wing guy, You're like, what do you think we got to do? I don't think we have to do anything, or we got to spend one thousand dollars on it? And you're like, I got one thousand dollars, right, I don't know, I don't know, right, what about four hundred million? Right? Like somewhere somewhere in the in the center of this right that there's a that there's a pragmatic sense, but I just don't think it's true, right, And I and I think that this is a frame that progressives and Democrats should think about because the prejudice in the country breaks against big right for small rhetorically. And the point is, right, this is the biggest, most unresponsive, corrupt government that there's ever been. Wildly profligate with the taxpayer dollars because part of the coalition has to include people who care about the spending of their money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think, no, I I I absolutely agree. But I do think that that it needs to be done. It needs to be reimagined in such a way that we can actually make the functions of government work. But I think abandoning abandoning government, you know, in deference to this long standing MAGA principle of just shrinking it down to nothing, is obviously not you know, the notion that that we are here just to privatize everything and to make to make it so that every single element of our government is just ripe for some CEO to make millions or billions of dollars as the results of our healthcare, our social security, you name it. I think that that is something that will eventually come if Democrats don't a take power, be wheeled power, and see do it in such a way that it's more effective. That doesn't allow there to be so much fertile ground for Republicans to come in and make these arguments that social security, for example, needs to be privatized.
Speaker 1: Yeah, listen, I think that FDR's great legacy is he saved democracy all over the world, but he saved it here at home first by saving free market American capitalism, right, And that's what the New Deal did, much more, I think, politically than it succeeded as a set of economic programs historically. And I think that for this moment for Democrats, the most important speeches that they could conceivably orient a campaign around, or the nineteen thirty six FDR convention speech and the FDR closing speech in Madison Square Garden, because they're the most appropriate ethos for a Democratic party that needs to reconnect to America's working men and women and be the party for small against big. That's taken tremendous license in an era that I think is fair to describe as a as a second guilded age. And you know, for the conversation we're having, you know, I ran a California governor's race. I've lived all over California, mostly lived in California over the last twenty years. Right, No Republicans in Los Angeles were responsible right for the burning of the city. You know, that was that was gross incompetence right across a wide panoply of players. There that undermines when you have a lack of performance by any public official in the Democratic Party in a high profile city, the fundamental cause that you believe in, because you have to be able to deliver a service. If you have a complicated question, you know, on something like healthcare, you're inclined to at least I'm not inclined to listen to a person who can't get water to the fire that they're going to be able to engineer the complexities of of something else. And I and I, and I think that's something Democrats have to have to reconcile with. But I, but I, but I, But I think I can tell you exactly how day one would open up in twenty twenty nine, Right, the first thing that the Democratic president would have to do. And if I get run over by a bus later today, right, this will be recorded, right, And I'm going to be proven right about this. Trump is not going to hang around and do any of the traditional stuff. He's going to get on his Katori jet and head out somewhere and in the in the question that's going to be on the media, a list is going to be what's the new president going to do about Trump's Katari plane? Is he going to keep the plane? Because trust me, the cameras are gonna be at Mara a Lago for the continuity of the of the reality show. And literally new president raises his hand and after he swears or she swears the thirty five word oath, he's gonna or she's gonna get three ruffles and flourishes, bupp up ba ba bah, a twenty one gun salute and Hail to the Chief, which is gonna take about five and a half minutes, which is time to shake hands, kiss the wife or husband, and sign about ten executive orders. And the first one of them, imagining he's still there, is the immediate firing of Cash Pattel and the ceiling of his office. The second one is the immediate relief of federal badges from every ice AG who completed the forty seven day training program between twenty January of twenty twenty five, and that exact moment and one of the most important things. And I'd love the job, Brians. I think I'd be great at it for six months, but I'd love a senior West wing job where I got to be the person to call Susie Wiles and to say listen wherever he's going with the plane. Very important for you all to be on the ground at noon. Otherwise it's flying back to Andrews where you can uber home to Bedminster or wherever the fuck is going. And then that day, no fucking around. Serious as a heart attack. R that is a US Air Force jet. The Commander in Chief orders the US Air Force to seize that jet, take it into custody from Palm Beach Airport. That jet is environmentally red idated within twenty four hours. Get all the shit off of it that you need to get off of it, all the classified stuff you need to get off of it. Get that seven forty seven on a barge, take that barge to the shore off of mar A Lago, and dump that plane by crane into the water where it would become an artificial reef and be declared part of a Marine National Park under the Antiquities Act by the President of the United States. Then I would take in moth bowled old Navy ship, put an anchor on it, give a federal grant, and establish a low income diving center for all the kids in West Palm Beach so they can swim off the shore in mar A Lago and onto the next issue. And I think that's how you use power. What say you?
Speaker 2: I mean, I mean here, here, I'm I'm for all of those things. But I think, look, I think that's that is a good microcosm. I understand that some of that might have been, you know, tongue in cheek, but I do think.
Speaker 1: None of it is. Listen, I get it when I say that, people take it as the very serious note. Here is no Donald, you can't keep the corrupt gift of a five hundred million dollar Katari jet. And we're not going to start the next administration after Merrick Garland and after what happened in the Obama era with all of the Wall Street bankers getting away with it, with you keeping the fucking jet. It is the most important political issue in the first moment of the next presidency. It's not I And I think that's what I worry about. The Democrats don't understand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, looks. I spent a good deal of the book talking about a lot of my time was spent trying to figure out how to reconcile a proactive agenda with focuses on healthcare, on voting rights, on kitchen table issues, on affordability, on an economy that works for people, with a progressive tax system that actually has the rich pay their fair share, because those people don't give a shit about the minutia of politics. At the same time, how do you deal with the corruption that we're seeing right now? And we did see Merrick Garland's DOJ refuse to lift a finger to act in a timely manner to hold Trump accountable for what he did in Trump one point zero. And I contend that the only reason we see so much corruption right now is that it is a direct response to the inaction of Merrick Garlands DOJ. And so how do you reconcile those two things? But you have to do both. You have to both be willing and capable of delivering a proactive agenda for people for whom what happens at their own kitchen tables, in their own houses is all they care about. These people are not watching CNBC or CNN and interested in the minutia of politics. But there's a whole raft of other people who do and who understand. Rightfully, I would contend that if you don't have an actual system of law and order in this country, then you're doomed to repeat these problems over and over again. And Trump's corruption right now isn't just happening in a vacuum. It's not just allowing him to get rich. We don't even know if he's acting in the best interests of the United States when he has a mean coin or cryptocurrency, not where he accepts money from UAE and Qatar, where he's offering breaks on our tariff policy so that he can confer some direct personal benefit to himself. So there is a national security impetus to actually uphold the rule of law in this country and to prevent this corruption from proliferating. So I'm in complete agreement that the inability or unwillingness to hold Trump accountable for the corruption that he engaged in Trump one point zero is exactly why we landed here, exactly why this country is in a weaker position on a national security front, on an economic front, on a on a humanitarian front than we've ever been. So, so one hundred percent, if you don't have a DJ that's willing to to step up, start acting like adults, and start wielding the power, it has against people who are engaging in overt corruption. You are one hundred percent doomed to continue repeating the mistakes that landed us where we are right now.
Speaker 1: Right, last last question for you. You're such an important voice in all of this, in a committed progressive voice with a lot of conviction and integrity. UH, speaking to your to your belief in that in that space a patriotic American, how do you how do you feel and how do you think about the dimensions of the coalition, the big kent that is required to bury this under the concrete sarcophagus that we agree we need to bury it under.
Speaker 2: Great question. I think, at its core, and you may disagree, I think at its core, politics is cobbling together a coalition. That's what it is. Obama was able to do it in two thousand and eight and twenty twelve, and that's why he got into a position where he could exercise power. I think that that there is an increasing move toward purity on the left. I can't speak to why. I guess you can say the same thing about the right, because at the end of the day, the only long standing principle that we see among maga Republicans is allegiance to Trump. He can say he's anti war one day and they'll all beat their chest and say we're anti war. The next day he goes and you know, engages in what is now a five month war with Iran that's cost one hundred and thirty billion dollars, and they're all cheering him on and refusing to hold him to to.
Speaker 1: To South Park episode.
Speaker 2: Right. So, but as far as the left is concerned, you know, I can't I can't speak to what Maga Republicans are going to do to debase themselves today in deference to Trump. But on the left, I think that the increasing move toward purity is going to be the biggest obstacle in terms of cobbling together any coalition that's going to allow us to get into office and ultimately wield power. And that's dangerous because you know, if we're in a position where we are demanding, where we are demanding one hundred percent purity from a party that just lost the House, the Senate, the White House, and the popular vote, we're not going to be in a position to actually do anything to get us closer to the to the very agenda items to the very platform that we claim to want to impose and so and so, you know, I think that there has to be an understanding from people on the left. And this is an example that I use. I'm sure it's overused at this point, but politics is not a car that brings you to directly to your front door. It's a bus that gets you closest to where you want to be. That might still be a few blocks away from your house. It might be a few miles away from your house. But you want to build up a coalition that will get you as close to where you want to go, because getting somewhere is better than getting nowhere. And I think that we are seeing right now the downfall of being being in the minority everywhere where. You know, these Republicans who have no deference, no adherence to the constitution, the rule of law, even democracy itself. Having them in power is putting us as far away from all of these outcomes that we could possibly want. So I think at the end of the day, you know, we're seeing a lot of infighting between DSA types and leftists versus moderate Republicans and just you know, liberal democrats. I think it's okay during this primary process that you know, we debate these ideas and get them out into the open, and that's what healthy democracy looks like. But that there has to be some understanding in the aftermath of all this that even even just ideological differences on the left, that the most important thing is going to be coming together to defeat a republican party that is a clear and present danger to democracy itself. And once that is undermined, then you know, once democracy itself is undermined, that it doesn't matter how pure you are in your convictions, because you're going to be so far away from being able to wield power that it's not going to matter whether whether you're a leftist or a moderate. We're not going to have any democracy to protect. And so I think I think that's how I think about all of this.
Speaker 1: Brian Tyler Cohen, everybody, and this is a really important book for everybody to go out and read, because we have to have discussions about what to do. And this is not going to be a presidential campaign where I think the typical banalities and talking points and pat ya on the head and give you a little bit of sugar is gonna is going to work out. I think that we're talking about the most powerful office in the world and the most powerful people in the world. And I encourage every one of you, no matter what your political beliefs are, is to approach power with skepticism, not fandom, and that these are not rock stars, these are not movie stars, these are not celebrities. These are people who make decisions of life and death, and they're influenced by powerful interests, and what you want to make sure is that they're on your side. And as we go through a recovery era and a renewal era in America, one of the rhythmic aspects of the country is that through crisis we have typically emerged stronger, but we don't know yet where we are in that crisis cycle, and things in America, though it may not seem like it today, can get much worse than they already are. And I think we're in a consequence phase for the catastrophic decisions that we passed every exit on the old proverbial parkway on which we could have exited this disaster but did not, And so here we are, and it's a long way to the next exit. We have ninety nine days to the midterm elections. Democrats will have control the House of Representatives. There will be an election. Trump will try to interfere with that election. He will try to undermine faith in that election, but the American people won't stand for it. And an important voice for the preservation of our democracy, our liberty, and our dignity at human being as human beings, Brian Tyler Cone, thank you so much for your time.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for having me. I appreciate it. You got it.
Speaker 1: Great book. Everybody