Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong Show, Katty.
Speaker 2: Armstrong and Jack, Katy and He arms Draw yet live from Studio C Senior feet within the dirty bowels of the Armstrong and Getty Information Complex. This is the Armstrong and Getty Show for Friday, the tenth of April, the Year of Our Lord, twenty twenty six. And you know it's funny. I forgot to come up with titles for today. Jack is off. He will be checking in later. But if I had, it would have something to do with astronauts plunging back to Earth, wars that look like ceasefires, and ceasefires that look like wars. Milennia making mysterious statements might have factored in the title, and I might have gone for the Masters as well. I shouldn't curse it. I have one friend who is a professional golfer and he had a great day in the first round and fingers crossed he makes the cutting plays on the weekend. Anyway, more on that maybe later. Great show planned out for you today, including conversations I'm really looking forward to with Greg Lukianov of Fire, which is the Foundation for Individual Rights and Expression started out as Foundation for Individual Rights and Education, but they've branched out to defend free speech in general, which is, you know, is like Mike chihat number one talking to Mike Lyons about the situation in Iran slash the Straits of Hormuz slash Israel, Lebanon and everywhere else that the fighting is going on. And on that topic, I really really want to bring to you a piece written by a terrific author who says the title is why the West refuses to call this a holy war when it clearly is. So we'll lay that out. Also, Tim Sandefer has a new book out about the Declaration of Independence and our nation's two hundred and fiftieth birthday. Super thought provoking. Always fun to talk to Tim, And we'll also be talking to Gordon Chang during our four about this situation with China, which is receded a bit into the background, but there are a couple of really really interesting angles, including it's become clear Trump two is way more conciliatory and dare I say soft on China than Trump one was. And I praised Trump one lavishly for all of his imperfections waking up the country to what a threat China is. So what does all this mean. We'll talk about that with the Gordon Chang looking forward to that. Why don't we go ahead and start the show officially now because we want to talk about the topic of the clip. Here we go at Mark.
Speaker 3: I was just talking to an employee out here at the Space Center in Houston and they were explaining, Yeah, there is no Plan B. They're coming home. The Artemist two crew has been up in space for more than a week and now they're preparing for the most dangerous lag of their journey here, re entry. It's a high speed plunge back through the Earth's atmosphere, so oriyan, the space craft that they're in is going to slam into the atmosphere at nearly twenty five thousand miles an hour.
Speaker 2: Sally Bradley on News Nation. I think it may have been on ABC News. Is that the one that bent knows jackasses on Katie David Muir ABC? Yep, Yeah, they had an expert on that actually put it in a way. It never occurred to me. I'm not good at physics and that sort of thing, But when you blast off the spacecraft with spectacular amounts of energy, and it achieves mind boggling speeds and then sling shots around the Moon and the rest of it. Something has to arrest that energy so it can land gently in the water. All of that energy has to get dissipated, and it gets dissipated by the re entry into the atmosphere, which is again a fire ball of certain death unless the heat shield holds. God blessed. Was it the Challenger that broke apart on re entry? Apologies if that's not the right mission that broke up over Texas, But anyway, their heat shield had gotten damaged and failed and it was horrible. But yeah, it's a near incomprehensible exchange of energy if you will to slow the capsule down. Let's go ahead a little more with the Alley Bradley report.
Speaker 3: Now, if the trajectory is off just a little bit, it could be catastrophic. Too steep, the crew could face intense g forces and structural stress. Too shallow in the spacecraft could bounce off of the atmosphere entirely. The capsule is going to generate temperatures close to five thousand degrees during re entry, becoming a fireball as it tears through the sky. Mission control expects to lose contact with the crew for several minutes during reentry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's actually a couple of really good tips for your first conversation with a woman. You'd like to impress too deep and you'll drive her away too shallow. Same result, got to go perfect trajectory, Michael, I know you know this. Yeah, studied under my wing for many years and not wrong. That's how you landed the beautiful girl you married, you lucky dog. So let's plunge on now with the CBS Evening News talking about the very same, extremely high risk re entry situation.
Speaker 4: The unpiloted artem IS one mission in twenty twenty two. This is video looking outside it's blistering re entry.
Speaker 2: Pieces of the heat shield kept flying off.
Speaker 4: Engineers later found holes and cracks poking the shield's outter Charlayer. A crew would have survived, but it was worrisome. NASA decided to keep the same heat shield but modify the trajectory of a capsule's return. Lead Flight director Jeff Rattigan.
Speaker 2: We've done our homework, and we've really done the testing to feel good about it. I do feel good about it.
Speaker 4: Yes, when we talked to the crew about the heat shield, they all said they were confident that NASA had made the right call and the right fix.
Speaker 2: Fair enough, Katie, you as a grizzled taker inner of news is the heat shield might fail stuff clickbait or I mean because we've re entered on from space missions many times right successfully.
Speaker 5: I think it's the fact that it's the same heat shield that they're kind of leaning on because and the images that they were talking about in that video it looked bad. I mean that the outside was destroyed. So if they don't get this new trajectory right, you know, this could be awful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Yeah, I'm torn because I don't want to overplay this. On the other hand, I'm a huge fan of space missions, as are all of us in Jack as well, and I worry about these guys as they return to Earth. Yeah, NASA is so exacting. If they say, oh, no, it was the trajectory and we got it right now, I would tend to believe them. I mean, if they say the things coming down at eight forty three am, it'll be down at eight forty three am, not eight forty four or eight forty two. So I certainly hope they're as competent as they seem to be, although they're having a couple of terrible disasters. One more clip on this topic. This is Daniel leave Us, who was an I think he was an astronaut.
Speaker 5: Right, he was an astronaut.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, let's hear him.
Speaker 6: I'm going to give you three numbers to remember. Twenty five thousand, five thousand and ten. The artimist Ryan capsule can be coming in at twenty five thousand miles an hour and entering in your atmosphere.
Speaker 1: During that time, it.
Speaker 6: Will be dissipating heat. The peak temperatures on a rime will reach five thousand degrees and it'll have to pass through that thicker part of the thinner part of the atmosphere that fast. It'll take about ten minutes to get through it all. So once we get through the first ten minutes of re entry, then we're home free and pass the peak heating area of re entry.
Speaker 2: Ten or so minutes at five thousand degrees. Yeah, I mean, what do you clean your oven at like five hundred, five hundred and fifty five fifty so ten times as hot as that for ten minutes? Great, Scott. Okay, say it quiet, prayer, cross your fingers, or whatever you like for America's heroes. I think it's so important that we as a country continue to reach out and explore and dare to do exciting things, grow scientifically, the intellectually. The stare at your naval crowd. Uh, they're they're they're the worst thing for the country. We need to continue to be bold and and and you know here I am prattling on and on about how I want these people to be safe, but taking chances, whether it's a country or in life, don't don't curl up into the fetal position, just wait to be dead as a human being or a country. Yeah, kiddy.
Speaker 5: Well, And the confidence that these astronauts have too, I mean, because I mean they're the ones doing this, and they're up there saying, no, this is gonna be this is gonna be great. NASA nailed it.
Speaker 2: So I've seen the science. We're fine. Yeah. Maybe they just don't want to talk about it. Oh my gosh, that they're just crapping their pants. Can we talk about something else, please? I want to talk about the HL anymore. I got it all right, So we're gonna break now. Sam I on time because we have clips of the week and Katie's headlines squeezed together so we can talk to Greg lukian Off at the bottom of that the hour police do stay with us, Welcome, thanks for being here, all right. I came up with a couple of titles real quick. First of all, a game of Telephone with five different languages. That's what the negotiations remind me of. You remember the game of Telephone? Oh he play as a kid?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah. That game always almost disturbed me because I could and it's just the way my brain works. I could remember what they said verbatim, I mean exactly, yeah, just I couldn't not remember it, so I never quite got how it twisted. I would get impatient with people and be like, just say what the person said to you, not realizing that everybody's brain works differently.
Speaker 5: I never played with people mature enough to not mess it up on purpose.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, hilarious. See I have no sense of humor, so I wouldn't accept that either. And then my other title is going to be be my Guest, because we've got some great ones, including Greg Lukianoff coming up in Moments from Fire. But first, before we get to Katie's headlines were compressing. Everything is making this up as we go. Let's take a fun look back at the week that was. It's cow clips of the week.
Speaker 1: The weak open the expletive straight, you crazy bastards.
Speaker 2: Open the fine straight, you crazy bastards. Ron in the US vowing to send each other to hell. The entire country can be taken out in one night, and that night might be tomorrow night.
Speaker 5: Failing to meet his terms will result in Iran being bombed.
Speaker 2: Back to the quote Stone Ages, it.
Speaker 4: Was truly the eleventh hour, down to the wire when President Trump announced this ceasefire agreement.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we'll be hanging around.
Speaker 2: We're not going anywhere. Stay two of the seas FA is already looking shaky right now.
Speaker 5: President Trump's main condition for this truce is not being met.
Speaker 4: The Iranians are still saying publicly they're in control of the strait and that it.
Speaker 2: Is closed right now, but we're overlittering and they just don't want to stay young.
Speaker 7: What happened.
Speaker 1: I don't think the voters fully understood, and neither did we in the public schector, what it was going to take to actually get this project delivered.
Speaker 5: I can't stop thinking about how grass lawns are racist and like based in white supremacy.
Speaker 1: Ex person I found that strong gluten muscles can increase a person's lifespan but also drainer brothers bank account. So one of the tests that we do is trying to get them to say something like Kim Johnan is a ugly pig?
Speaker 7: Could could you say that for me?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I so I have to say as you say, like.
Speaker 3: Like every problem that we have in society right now will be fixed when women come together.
Speaker 2: They provided zero dollars to deal with the ongoing genocide of MMI w G two s l g b t qq i A. Mm I w G two s l g.
Speaker 5: B t q q i A plus the lies linking me with the disgraceful Jeffrey Epstein need to end today.
Speaker 2: It's clips of the way. We'll see if we can get to the millenia Epstein statement. At some point, I think most everybody's reaction, including I've heard the White Houses was okay, okay, gaybody's quite sure exactly what motivated it. There are some clues some author put out some tell All Type book has been doing podcasts saying that she had an association with Epstein. But I mean, nobody knew that had happened until she brought it to our attention. So is there more to it than that? Katie? As far as you can tell her.
Speaker 5: The only source that I saw really hammering this message was CNN, but they were saying, Oh, she's doing this so she can get out in front of something before it comes out to the public.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okays, No, I just you know what, Malania seems like a lovely gal. I can't see making the decisions in life she's made. But I'm not a woman and a Slovenia supermodel certainly. But thanks for bringing Epstein up again. Damn it.
Speaker 5: I know it was so close to just being in the just the slight distant past.
Speaker 2: Yeah comes again. All right, let's figure out who's reporting what it's lead story. It's Katie Green, Katie, all right.
Speaker 5: Starting with the major networks talking about Iran. Still, ABC, Trump says Iran quote better not collect straight of Ormuz toll, CBS, US and Iran prepare for talks as shaky ceasefire holds, Straight of Hormuz traffic remains low, and NBC Pakistan and France condemn Lebanon ceasefire violations.
Speaker 2: Oh, shut up, France. I know Lebanon, I get well. Quitd have an armed political parties Lebanon. I know we can't help, but they're they're tougher than we are. But France, shut up.
Speaker 5: From the Wall Street Journal, inflation rose to three point three percent in March, driven by rising fuel costs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is this a trend or a blip? Talking heads are gonna babble all day long. I don't think we will, but it's not good.
Speaker 5: From The New York Post, Robert McIntyre flips the middle finger in wild Master's meltdown.
Speaker 2: Ah, yeah, he was unhinged. He's a really great Scottish golfer, kind of pasty, slightly pudgy looking guy, but hot tempered and a couple of times he like hit a bad shot and slammed his club into the turf, which then he and his caddy tried to set right. But you don't do that at Augusta National Sun. There are super famous champion golf offers who've screwed around, and Augustus said, this is an invitational Tournament's son, you will not be asked back again. So that's a major scandal in the world of golf USA today.
Speaker 5: Are you struggling with dating apps? It could be your digital body language.
Speaker 2: Oh, we need to get into that later.
Speaker 5: Yes, study fines talking robot guide dog could change how visually impaired people navigate.
Speaker 2: That is one of the area's AI could be wonderful. Yes, the handicapped, blind, elderly could be incredible. Please don't crush our civilization and drain our vital fluids please.
Speaker 5: And finally, this one from the Babylon b Canadian astronaut humanely euthanized after suffering light bruise during moon mission.
Speaker 2: Oh that's a good shot at Canada's culture of death. Yeah, troubling.
Speaker 7: Heavy.
Speaker 2: You ended on a heavy note that was supposed to be funny. I heavy guy, Yeah, I know. Wow, wow, wow. You want to pick into the Babylon today? Sorry, your annual review is going to be a rough one, all right, whatever, Hey, can't wait to talk to Greg Luki on Off. He's coming up in just a moment or two to talk about free speech and speech on campuses and cancel culture and all sorts of stuff Whateverwhere of the conversation goes. First Amendment on our nation's birthday stay with us, Armstrong and Getty. What a pleasure this is to talk about the freedom of speech, the First Amendment, perhaps most vital principle any self governing people can hold, with Greg luki on off of the Foundation for Individual Rights and Expression. Greg is actually the president and CEO, also the author of a handful of books that I have really really enjoyed, including Unlearning, Liberty, Campus Censorship, in the End of American Debate, Freedom from Speech, and I really enjoyed a short ish book that'd be a great place to start, the War on Words, Arguments against free speech and why they fail with Nadine Strawsen. Greg, welcome, How are you.
Speaker 7: I'm pretty good.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, business is booming for First Amendment attorneys these days, and that's never a good sign for the country.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, And I think both sides indulged too frequently, too easily in let's silence the other guys because we don't like what they say. Obviously, How would you characterize the state of free speech in the US right now? And we'll just go from there.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I want to expand it even from there, because I think people really need to get and I want to say this to your entire audience. Free speech is in trouble globally. Obviously China and Iran and Russia we're not free countries, but the level of totalitarianism that you can deliver with.
Speaker 7: A combination of surveillance and AI is terrifying.
Speaker 1: The European Union and the UK have completely turned turned around on on free speech. So they're arresting something like twelve thousand people a year in Britain now for essentially hate speech in Britain.
Speaker 7: I mean they my mother's British.
Speaker 1: They used to laugh at us for political correctness here, and now they're enforcing.
Speaker 7: It by law.
Speaker 1: Canada and Ireland we're playing with actually passing a hate speech code that could result in life in prison, and even within the US, like we're the only country left that really cares about free speech, you know, down to our core, and here I'm afraid we're blowing it as well due to partisan politics. So I know, like I'm a gen xer, people my age and older, whether we're right, left or center, we get freedom of speech, but we need people to come together to defend it for opinions.
Speaker 7: They don't like, just like we used to in the old days.
Speaker 1: Because the only way you really prove that you care about free speech is not defending the free speech that you already agree with, but it's the stuff that you actually disdain.
Speaker 7: That's how you show your commitment.
Speaker 2: Precisely, I think we need to teach over and over again that it's the sort of speech that anybody would object to that needs to be protected, because speech nobody objects to doesn't need protection, your ninnies.
Speaker 1: You know, it strikes me well, except on campus sometimes, but something can get you in trouble on campus sometimes. It's like, I don't even understand how people manage to be offended by that.
Speaker 2: You know, I want to get to campuses specifically in a minute. But it struck me as you were describing the global free speech issues that the motivations beat behind the cracking down on speech were different in different places. Rampant immigration from the Muslim world in the UK in particular, and Canada is one of the core issues. There, very different issues in the US. But the thought that clicked in my brain, and give me long enough, I'll come up with the obvious is that the right, the fright, the right to free speech is a bulwark against like any out of control cause, or or philosophy.
Speaker 1: It absolutely is, because here's the thing, you know, we're our founding fathers were brilliant. They were basically proto neuroscientists, Like they understood that our brains are incredibly good at rationalizing our way into something that suits our interests that we can, you know, kid ourselves, we're actually thinking of all humankind. And power always wants greater control over over speech and even more dramatically truth. And this is one of the reasons why we have the protections of the First Amendment.
Speaker 7: That's why we have an establishment clause for that matter.
Speaker 1: There these are things that our system of government really understood, but power will always rationalize its ability to be like I should be able to shut up people who really pissed me off, you know, like I should be able to go after that speech. And here's my high minded, sounded sounding reason to do it. And having something as powerful as the First Amendment to say no, we're not doing this ear has been one of our real saving graces, but we're undermining it by a death of a thousand cuts at the moment.
Speaker 2: Well, and as you mentioned, it is highly disturbing that a lot of the younger generations have and this is entirely our fault, have been and esthetized into either not noticing the incursions in free speech or encouraging them. The COVID period was an absolute nightmare in my opinion, the exercise of government control, quashing of dissent and that sort of thing, but.
Speaker 1: Also the cultural aspect of it. So COVID in twenty twenty. My organization, the Foundation for Individual Rights and Expression, used to be the foundation for individual rights in education because we're focused on the really severe threats to free speech, academic freedom, et cetera.
Speaker 2: In higher ed.
Speaker 1: But it was twenty twenty that made us decide that we have to become the Foundation for Individual Rights and Expression to defend free speech forever everybody, even beyond campus, because we also.
Speaker 7: Saw one government coercion. But even scarier to us in a lot of ways.
Speaker 1: Was a lot of Americans saying I'm going to get you.
Speaker 7: It was cancel culture.
Speaker 1: I wrote a book called Canceling of the American Mind about this to demonstrate with data, you know, that this really happened, and it was insane because there's still people who are claiming that like this didn't happen, Like no it was a free speech disaster during that time, and we realized that if we have a situation where people really think that you have a right not to be offended and that it's actually noble to censor what you consider to be bad people, we've really fallen astray. So one of the things that makes Fire different is we don't just fight in court, and believe me, we do fight in court. We are also trying to get people to understand the philosophy of freedom of speech, how to live with it, and all the benefits of it as well, because we want to make sure we pass this down to our grandkids.
Speaker 2: Amen to that. We're talking to Greg Lukiano from Fire, So let's talk a little about cancel culture. One of the more interesting conversations I've been following through the last several years is what is quote unquote cancel culture as opposed to the birds of what you say, coming home to rust taking responsibility for what you say. How can you tell if it's quote unquote cancel culture cancer oultia.
Speaker 1: The thing that lawyers sounds so frustrating about cancel culture is that it because it's about a cultural norm.
Speaker 7: It has to be at a little.
Speaker 1: Looser but really kind of like what And I try to get people think about this in the aggregate that essentially, yes, can I private company decide to fire someone because they don't like their expression? Absolutely they can, and actually under the First Amendment, I'd fight for the right to do that. But I'm always trying to get people to take a deep breath and if you're and ask themselves, do you want to live in the kind of country where you can have an opinion or a job but not both and rethink that because one of the things that really is falling away is this sense of pluralism that essentially it's okay if Mike Itizza boy wants to vote for Trump or Biden, like it doesn't like, that's fine that you know.
Speaker 7: I think of these.
Speaker 1: Old American idioms that we used to say a lot of times when we were kids that have lost favor, and kids today don't know as much they are as simple as everyone's entitled to their opinion, to each their own, you know, walk a mile on a man's shoes is kind of things.
Speaker 7: Essentially the same thing.
Speaker 1: It's a free country, we said all the time, are really important small d democratic values.
Speaker 7: And I think that if you're.
Speaker 1: Seeing a situation in which someone, you know, like, yeah, sure, someone's being unprofessional in their job. You know, there's no question, you know, you can fire them. But for example, there was a case of the Washington Post where there was a there was an opinion reporter. He retweeted one slightly I mean, very slightly edgy joke tweeted it, and then of course there was this huge, you know, you know, backlash to get him suspended or fired. And I was like, listen, if you want to know what cancel culture and free speech culture look like, what free speech culture looks like is to say, do we really want to punish this Washington Post reporter just for retweeting a joke?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, So it's funny. I wrote down this quote and posted on the studio wall here, and I didn't write who said it? In God, I could have been you. It might be Peter Bogosian or Jonathan Hyde. I'm not sure. But what they said was political disagreement is increasingly treated as a serious moral offense rather than a simple difference of opinion. When you see the world that way, punishing someone for holding different views becomes a moral good. I thought that was a really good explanation that.
Speaker 1: Really could be any of us, come to think of it, I'm stealing it and I hope you will, you know, because we want this to catch on, because it really is very much with our own lifetime that we had very different attitudes about free speech as a society. And I will say that the role that k through PhD has played in that erosion is really shameful. So that there was someone who wrote recently on Twitter like given, and we are absolutely we fight people all across the spectrum. We were assuing the Trump administration. We're in a lawsuit as Trump.
Speaker 7: Himself on free speech grounds.
Speaker 1: We are true the most nonpartisan institution in the country. But someone actually wrote to my co author Ricky Schlott on Twitter, of canceling the American mind. You know, don't you feel like by comparison, you know, what was happening on college campuses was no big deal or sort of quaint, And I'm.
Speaker 7: Like, absolutely not have a.
Speaker 1: Situation in which people can I mean something like seventy percent of students think their professors should be reported for offensive speech. And when they actually drilled down into what did they mean by a sense of speech, it wasn't for sexually harassing students. It was for saying things like biological sex is real, or you know someone who actually would repeat the data of Roland Fryar, you know from Harvard, who basically pointed out there isn't that much evidence that there's wildly disproportionate shootings of unarmed black people versus white people by police. And now, to be clear, Roland Fryar said, actually, our overall take is that the police shoot too many people in the United States, but that ultimately that that that disparity isn't there as much. They were basically saying the students themselves were being taught to police factual statements that in some cases are probably true, right in order to in order to to I don't achieve something to protect their ears or something.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, well, I think it's more than that. And if you don't mind, we need to take a quick break and follow up on that thought and talk of about the philosophy that's driving a lot of what the college kids just think is, you know, outlawing hate speech and objectionable speech. But Greg Lookian off of Fire Greg, great to talk to you hang around just a couple of minutes will continue in moments. We are midway through a conversation with Greg looking on Off, the president and CEO of the Foundation for Individual Rights and Expression and the author of many fine books and co author on that topic. Greg, thanks for hanging around. Really appreciate it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, no, I was happy to do so.
Speaker 2: As I often point out on the show, I Joe Gettim the last thing I am as a conspiracy theorist. I'm somebody who's been studying political systems and political movements since I was literally a teenager, and it's the most fascinating subject on earth. And one thing that has really frustrated me is how few people understand that a lot of what we've been talking about, the censorship on campus, the microaggressions, the advanning hate speech, quote unquote, it is people who've bought the moral argument that that's what they should do, but it is driven by and nobody talks about this the critical theory crowd. The folks who are fans of Michelle Fuco and Franz Fonan, the French philosophers of the mid twentieth century and into the nineteen seventies. As I often say, they wrote books, they put their names on the spine. They explained exactly what they wanted to do, and it's exactly what we're witnessing. Any comment agreed, disagree with thoughts?
Speaker 1: Oh no, absolutely, although I would actually go after you know, because it's not a thinker. I have eleven of respect for Herbert Marcus because Herbert marcuse A was a Marxist. He had to flee Germany when the Nazis took over. He lived in academia, I think at Brandeis and UCSD, I think you see San Diego where and he sort of was trying to sort of like reform Marxism because it turned out the proletariat didn't really like the intellectuals, so he kind of like remodeled it so that essentially it would be a combination of the intellectuals he educated in the United States versus with what he very sensitifically called ghetto populations against the right.
Speaker 7: He was incredibly clear.
Speaker 1: That he thought there should be free speech for the left and not for the right. He couldn't have said it more primitively than he did in an essay called repressive tolerance, and that view that you can't really be equal if the bad guys were allowed. Free speech has taken over in a lot of spaces. Even when I was at school, even though I was in law school back in ninety seven, I was running into this argument already, and.
Speaker 7: I was like, I worked at the ACL you.
Speaker 1: I grew up believing that free speech was like the defining sort of liberal characteristic. But unfortunately we have this sort of terminological term where you have this kind of like much more typically old European side Frankfurt school left that is very hostile to free speech but calls itself liberal. And so I personally think right now the center left and the center right have much more in common with each other than they do with their wings. And when look at the data, we are the majority and then some, and we believe in freedom of speech. And we have to talk back to these people who don't realize that they're spouting Marcus and fucout and all these people who, by the way, people in their own lifetimes like Hoppermass who just died, did an incredible job of refuting these weren't in my opinion, particularly deep thinkers are good historians. But unfortunately we have a lot of people who think that the morality.
Speaker 7: Is on the side of the Center.
Speaker 2: Greg, we only have about two minutes left. Let's let's jump to an action plan. Now. I support fire in every way I can, including financially. What's the most important thing everybody listening can do or things they can do to help fight for free speech?
Speaker 7: Yeah, please find out more about us.
Speaker 1: But the most important thing you can do is to make it known that when someone gets in trouble for speech you personally disagree with, you do not think they should be fired, You do not think they should be arrested, You do not think and stand up for them unapologetically. Because that's the thing that brought people like me.
Speaker 7: Into this business.
Speaker 1: Seeing the acl USE stand up for the rights of them, I sings, you know, Jewish lawyers standing up for them. That was the most principled thing I'd ever even heard of in my entire life. And that's the kind of thing that gets people to understand that free speech belongs to everyone, or it belongs to no one.
Speaker 2: Right here here, you know, I grew up only a few miles from Skokie, Illinois, and following that drama as a gosh a kid, teenager or whatever it was, and having my parents explain that principle. To me, it gives me chills thinking about it because it was such a formative moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I was about my parents were both immigrants, and I grew up in a neighborhood with a lot of immigrants kids, and the idea that you know, our families fled countries where they didn't have freedom speech, and we were finally in a country that was so principled that people would even defend their enemies.
Speaker 2: Let's not give it up, Greg, LOOKI on off of fire. We'll have a link so you can find it easily enough in his books and that sort of thing at Armstrong and Geddy dot com. Greg, it's always a pleasure. It's been too long. I hope we can do it again. Absolutely all right, Thanks thanks Greg, LOOKI on off. Yeah, I seriously get so fired up about this stuff. I've threatened many times to get a First Amendment tattoo, but I don't want a tattoo at all, so I don't think that's going to happen. Coming up next hour, we will catch up on the situation in the Gulf, the Straights of Horror moves. We'll talk to Mike Lyons also. Oh and I'm excited about this. If you were listening, I think it was two days ago. During hour two of the show, we were talking about the miserable state of education in America, the public schools, the government schools as I prefer to call them. And boy did we get reaction from educators that the folks in the belly of the beast fighting, you know, against some of the stuff every day, and their impressions about what's wrong with American government schools. Is that's the testimony I think we all really need to hear, right, So we're going to hit that next hour. Jack's going to be checking in from a scenic saline of Kansas, where he's visiting a family and where our careers together got started actually many years ago. So I hope you can stay tuned. If you can't, you can always subscribe to the podcast and miss nothing. It downloads automatically if you subscribe Armstrong and Getty on demand Armstrong and Getty