Speaker 1: It's media podcast. Welcome to Meet Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. I'm your host, Spencer new Art and today we're joined by Brody, Yanni, Randall, cal Reva, Seth and Roman. This is a ten round quiz show with questions for meat eaters four verticals which are hunting, fishing, conservation and cooking, and there is a prize. Meat Eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winners. Choosing and for the stat of the week. This week, we're looking at the overtime drought that we're currently in. Excluding the tournament qualifying episodes, We've gone ten weeks without a game going to overtime. That is the longest stretch in Meet Eater Trivia history. The last time we had a tiebreaker was in October when Yanni and Steve went to overtime with eight correct answers each. The overtime drought.
Speaker 2: Who won that one?
Speaker 1: Who won that one? Yanni? Do you remember?
Speaker 2: No? But I hope you have it in your.
Speaker 1: Yanni won it? Yanni won that one? Well done, Yanni. Overtime drought. No, I know that for certain is.
Speaker 3: Your reservoir of overtime questions runneth over at this point.
Speaker 1: Runneth over. No, it does not. I get a lot of requests to have an overtime question every single episode for people who play at home, and then when they tie, they would like to break their tie. But overtime questions are hard, so I don't want to just use them all. Willy Nilly got to earn him. Maybe it'll happen today.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'll just predict an overtime right now, between like two or three of you. Like that, I will go. Now here's our Infrequently Asked Question segment. If you have a trivia related question for our crew, send it to trivia at the meteater dot com with the subject line, I f AQ Wyatt Towns wants to know what's the worst trivia question a fan has ever seen you. There's not one specifically, but there's an iteration of a question that I've probably received a hundred times.
Speaker 2: What am I thinking?
Speaker 1: Almost Yeah, it's an iteration of a question that I've received a ton I've never used it. It's like what state has the most miles of shoreline or what state has the most miles of navigable water. Everyone has a different answer. Google has different answers, Our emails have different emailers have different answers. Nebraska, Minnesota, Kentucky, Louisiana, Alaska. A lot of tourist agencies like to claim that they have the most miles of shoreline or water or navigable water. That's just not a question we're ever gonna do because it's very murky as to what the correct answer is. But folks from Nebraska like to say it's them. People from Kentucky like to say it's them. It's all over the map. We're not gonna have that one in trivia, though. The other one, the worst questions that I get will be people who write in and specifically say here's a zero percenter or here's one that's gonna stump the I don't want those questions. The goal isn't to like stump you guys in the room, or to stump our listeners, right. We want to create a fun game that people have a chance at getting the questions correct. So if you think you have a question that's a zero percenter, or your goals to stump Yanni and Brody and Steven cal it's probably not going to make it on the show.
Speaker 2: There we go.
Speaker 1: Now for the housekeeping portion of today's show, I'm going to throw it to Randall to give you a recap of bar trivia that Phil, Randal and I attended last night. Randall, tell folks about the evening.
Speaker 4: It was a lovely evening.
Speaker 3: We played a four round, ten question each round trivia game. We would have come in third had we challenged a scoring era in the final round, but third place just yeah, yeah, that's just asking for it. But yeah, it was a great, great evening. Chile was there, Maggie was there, Shelby of the Shelby Index was there, and my wife Sidney was there.
Speaker 4: What were the stakes?
Speaker 1: What could one free bar tab? Yeah, they're unclear about what that is. If we had have created a five hundred dollars bar tab, I can't imagine that would have been covered. Probably just capped somewhere like fifty bucks.
Speaker 2: It's fifty bucks, I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And to your earlier point, there were no zero percent I mean it was. It was a well executed twenty.
Speaker 1: Teams, mind you, third third place out of twenty teams.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they were all good questions. There were no like questions where you just thought, there's no way I could possibly answer that. There's sufficient context to have like a back and forth between the team and.
Speaker 2: What were some of the like the questions, Like.
Speaker 3: There was the four categories, there was jen Ed, there's ski mountains, state capitals, and nineties movies. And I think everybody on the team had at least one question where they were the they had the clutch bit of.
Speaker 1: Info that five times rand being humble, probably seventy of our answers came from Randall. Randall knows as much trivia as you'd expect.
Speaker 3: I will say Chili was the only one who knew the name of the mongoose from the Jungle Book, Ricky Ticky Tavvy, Ricky Ticky Tavvy.
Speaker 4: Oh like the original Jungle Book.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Chili pulled that one out, just yeah, without Yes, Yeah, it was great evening. I look forward to look forward to playing again.
Speaker 1: Phil. You have anything to add about our third place bar trivia?
Speaker 5: Well, I Randall really dug himself into a hole, because we're not playing trivia without Randall anymore. I mean, if he can't make it, I think I think.
Speaker 3: The biggest revelation of the evening was that the closest Phil has ever come to getting into a bar fight was when he confronted someone in a trivia match for catching them cheating in the restroom by looking at answers. Oh, yes, I think this is That was my That was the watershed moment for me last week.
Speaker 5: Also, he had to google who the bass player for Kiss was. It's like, come on.
Speaker 1: We can do it again. We'll have more Barnight Trivia updates in the future. Now the Shelby indexpert. Today's round is a four, so our winner should get eight correct answers, and with that we're onto the game of trivia. Play the drop, Phil, Look, I need to know what I stand to win everything?
Speaker 2: How's that? Just tend to win everything?
Speaker 1: Demon Suckers. Question one. The topic is fishing, and this will be multiple choice. Which of these colorful fish has the heaviest world record? Is it bluegill, yellow perch, white bass, or green sunfish? What these fish have in common is they all have a color in their name. So which of these colorful fish as the heaviest world record? Bluegill, yellow perch, white bass, green sunfish? Pretty confident looking room, Randall, have you caught all of these fish.
Speaker 3: I assume I've caught a green sunfish at some point.
Speaker 1: So calve you caught all four of these fish.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure green sunfish is a real fish.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, the I g f A Record Books recognizes it as a real fish.
Speaker 6: They're they're they're like native to the Western United States. Is a white individual species, then it's a green sunfish.
Speaker 1: Helping out.
Speaker 2: Sunfish is a white perch like up in Maine, considered a white bass. I don't think.
Speaker 1: They're not the same fish. I worked on the Missouri River in South Dakota. I think we had one documented white perch. Ever, really torn, tell you that, really torn, Brody. I think we're waiting on you.
Speaker 6: Then, oh, we're weighing.
Speaker 1: Everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Reva saying yellow perch, Roman saying green sunfish, Randall saying white bass, cal saying white bass, Yannis saying white bass, Seth saying white bass, Brody saying white bass. The correct answer is white bass. The room did well. The world record green sunfish is two pounds two ounces. The world record yellow perch is four pounds three ounces. The world record bluegill is four pounds twelve ounces, and the world record white bass is six pounds thirteen ounces. That record was set in Virginia in nineteen eighty nine and then tied in Louisiana in twenty ten, so two pounds bigger than the world record.
Speaker 6: Bluegill you know those weird like Tripplow blue gills, that are they included in that world record?
Speaker 1: It's the IGFA Record Books breaks it out much further than you think it would.
Speaker 6: They every bread one, you know what I'm talking about, Well.
Speaker 1: They have I don't know, it feels like dozens of sunfish and bluegill records in there. So I would imagine that they have, Like even even hybrids that you didn't know existed are in the IGFA Record Book. I think if someone was determined, they could go to the IGFA Record Book, find a record that's easy to beat with like a certain line class, and then go out and beat it tomorrow if you wanted to. Question two, the topic is hunting. This next great question comes to us via Cordy Davis. What is the smallest subspecies of moose which is found in places such as Alberta, Washington, and Utah? Brody confident Okay, ny likes this one question. Cory Davis, Coy Davis, what is the small list subspecies of moose which is found in places such as Alberta, Washington, and Utah. I think Cory Davis used to be a wide receiver for the Tennessee Titans. I don't think this is the same Cory Davis, though.
Speaker 4: You know what's a weird igfa thing too. What when you're like East Coast, you got all those states, little tiny states packed together, cute.
Speaker 1: Little states talk about offshore records.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's like you can look on your phone and be like, Okay, I have an X pound whatever. And if you return to a port in a state that is not the port that you left from, you can get that state's record.
Speaker 1: It's not the port.
Speaker 2: Let them comes down to the people.
Speaker 4: It's crazy. It's like we have better fishermen. Yeah, you're like, I'm not gonna go back to Delaware. I'm gonna park in Rhode Island and then I'll have the whatever bluefen tun a record.
Speaker 1: Again, what is the smallest subspecies of moose? Does everybody have an answer? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Reva saying cascade a roman without an answer, the rest of the room saying shyris they got it? The correct answer is Shyros. Shiris are the smallest moose subspecies in terms of height, weight, and antler size. The Boone and Crockett world record score two hundred and five inches, which is forty inches smaller than the world record Canada moose and fifty inches smaller than the world record Yukon moose. Shiris have the southernmost range and are found in British Columbia, Montana, Idaho, Oregon, Wyoming, Colorado, and Nevada. Any of you boys kill the shiros moose?
Speaker 2: I have a cow cow shiris?
Speaker 1: I'd say, was that in Colorado?
Speaker 6: Colorado?
Speaker 3: I killed a a shiris bull in Montana?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: Very nice? Where's that at? You got a spot picked out in your house? Uh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it kind of travels around with us and always occupies the uh, the place of prime importance in the.
Speaker 1: World living room.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's got a big I've got like a big slab that we cut off as a plaque and got it euro amounted.
Speaker 1: Question three, The topic is cooking. Merriam Webster defines this ten letter word as quote a crescent shaped dumpling filled with pork, pan fried and then steamed. Merriam Webster defines this ten letter word as a crescent shaped dumpling filled with pork, pan fried and then steamed. See some hangman dashes being drawn on boards. Randall is confident Yanni has not picked up his whiteboard yet.
Speaker 4: Letters that my I'm turning the board very nice. Did you get some feedback on the more flipping situation? Didn't?
Speaker 1: It was on the brink of being a dressed cow. It was almost a problem with how often it.
Speaker 4: Just truly wasn't paying attention. So I do apologize. It wasn't an intentional thing, but I did notice and it was already wrapped up in conversation that you misinterpreted the upside down answer.
Speaker 1: That was going to be a future housekeeping I think when you wrote Arkansas.
Speaker 4: Or something like that, And it would have been a fun thing to come clean with at the end if it would have been a tie. But then it never happened. Just the time had passed.
Speaker 2: Yea.
Speaker 1: The YouTube commenters were onto kee, was there any way you could pipe like white noise into our headphones when these discussions are happening, So we can like actually think, you know, come up with an answer.
Speaker 2: It's impossible.
Speaker 1: Here's the question.
Speaker 4: If somebody in this room has never gone to a takeout, you're helping out, folks.
Speaker 1: Caw Merriam Webster defines his ten letter word as a crescent shaped dumpling filled with pork, pan fried and then steamed. Seth and Yanni have blank boards. I can't see Brodie's board, but I assume it is as well. Randal and call are confident reave it? Do you have this one? No, she has a blank board as well. A ten letter word.
Speaker 4: I assume the word isn't in the question.
Speaker 1: The answer is not dumpling? Is that ten letters? I don't know.
Speaker 3: No, No, it's not.
Speaker 4: I counted.
Speaker 1: Is everybody ready?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yhanni? What happened to your hand? There? It's a nice looking scar. She's not gonna.
Speaker 2: Tells cat cat scratch.
Speaker 1: It took you a long time to come up with that. Seth, do you have an answer?
Speaker 2: I do?
Speaker 1: Okay, Damn, I'm one letter over. When's the last time you had this crescent shaped dumpling?
Speaker 4: I it'd be very hard to say.
Speaker 1: Okay, what the word will not come to me? I think we're gonna have to just move on.
Speaker 3: Bro I don't think I've seen that before.
Speaker 7: Oh my god, we could just skip this one and then put it at the end.
Speaker 4: No, my kid just ate like made his own great, great cookbook. That is a name that's not correct, but it's by the late. I think her name is Michelle Wong and it's blank made the long way.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think we're gonna that's enough. Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Reva saying dim sum Roman without an answer, Randall saying potsticker, Say potsticker, Yanni without an answer, set The saying egg roll Brody without an answer. The correct answer is potsticker Randall, her cal got it. Potstickers were accidentally invented by a chef in China's Imperial court about one thousand years ago. The cook forgot about a batch of dumplings on the stove, leaving one side burnt. He served them that way anyway, and they were a hit. To learn how to make potstickers with wild game, go to the medieater dot com and check out our recipe called Venison Dumplings makes.
Speaker 4: For super fun get together night. Make a bunch of dumpling dough and then everybody can kind of bring whatever and then you roll them up and have a bunch of different choruses and stuff.
Speaker 1: What do you got to now?
Speaker 4: The freezer time of year.
Speaker 1: You had some feedback over here.
Speaker 2: No, it wasn't about I was just gonna say, Okay, at what point do we get new?
Speaker 1: The board is though broken? Cal, next time we do an auction house about it. I think we can just get rid of these boards that way and we'll bring in on their batch. We're gonna have to do some duct tape. You've got a flat tire over there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I wonder if you put them all together in like one big board.
Speaker 1: It was a thought, Oh yeah, all the shit that went wrong in Mexico.
Speaker 2: Sorry, Cal is transitioning into these boards.
Speaker 1: Question four tires. The topic is biology. This next great question comes to us via John Schlessinger. Technology used to follow this satellite, which was launched by the Soviets in nineteen fifty seven, birthed the science of wildlife telemetry. Technology used to follow this satellite, which was launched by the Soviets in nineteen fifty seven, birth the science of wildlife telemetry. Randal is confident. Randal you have this one, right, I I was.
Speaker 3: I only know one Soviet satellite, Okay, so I went with that process of elimination.
Speaker 4: Oh, what's the name the satellite?
Speaker 1: Name the satellite? Thank guys, Right, Yanni, you'd be happy to know that one of your questions from when you hosted me Eater Trivia came up last night in bar Trivia. It was about the state capitol that has an elevation over seven thousand feet.
Speaker 2: Great, you guys must have got it.
Speaker 1: We got that one right. I don't think we would have had you not had that question on the show. So well done, Yanni. You were there in spirit.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Technology used to follow this satellite which was launched by the Soviets in nineteen fifty seven. Birthday Science of Wildlife Telemetry. Yanni, how do you feel about your answer?
Speaker 2: Same as uh, same as Randall?
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, okay, So we're naming a satellite name one satellite.
Speaker 7: And I don't even know if I know the name of a Russian satellite. I might just know the name of a Russian other space projectile.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, I only know one satellite, and I only know one cosmonaut.
Speaker 1: Brody, how are we doing over here?
Speaker 3: You're a uh garin I believe I can't recall the exact spelling.
Speaker 1: But why do we know him? Uh?
Speaker 3: He was an early pioneer of think he was the first I think he was the first man in space.
Speaker 5: The first dog was like a I don't know we had any dogs in space?
Speaker 3: Good for us, dog, I mean if you're talking about like.
Speaker 2: A human species. Yeah, yeah, we can.
Speaker 1: All look back on this.
Speaker 3: Finally, as a collective effort.
Speaker 1: Is everybody ready, Brody? They have to move on. Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Revas saying spot Nick, Roman saying Schlessingers satellites, Randall say spot sank Spotnik, Yanni saying spot Nick Seth saying spot Nick Brody without you made it a potato, he said, spud Nick, we're gonna give it to you. The correct answer is sputnick sput n. I K.
Speaker 4: That's a good trivia question, Spencer. Is how many animals are still rotating around the Earth that people have sent up there?
Speaker 1: You have like do you know the answer?
Speaker 4: There's dogs and monkeys and birds and fish and.
Speaker 1: Thirty little secret there could be like you know, an IGFA record set there the biggest fish caught in space.
Speaker 4: Oh, there we go.
Speaker 1: Bill Cochrane was an engineer in the nineteen fifties who worked two jobs. One was helping build the Discover satellite, which was America's answer to Sputnik, and the other was helping track bird migrations. Eventually, someone at his migratory bird job asked about putting a radio transmitter on a mallard, so that's what they did. This was essentially the same technology different nations were using to track their spy satellites. Five the topic is public lands. What state is home to Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, Great Sand Dunes National Park in mas Verde National Park. The confident Brody maybe this will get his game back on track.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think that pot sticker questions is doomed me, doomed him. What state is home to Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, Great Sand Dunes National Park in Mason Verde National Park. It's a Boddy been to one of these places.
Speaker 6: Similar I think you shouldn't be allowed to answer that.
Speaker 1: Okay, Brody would prefer you hold your answer on if you've been there.
Speaker 4: It's a certain certain type of intellect that can store potsticker in their brand.
Speaker 1: It's only only possessed by Randall and cal. In this room, I've.
Speaker 2: Been to one really wanted to go to another one.
Speaker 1: Okay? Is that helping folks out? No?
Speaker 2: Probably not?
Speaker 1: Okay? Is everybody ready quick answers this round? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Areeva saying New Mexico, Roman saying New Mexico. The rest of the room says Colorado. They got it. The correct answer is Colorado. Colorado has four National parks, with the other one being Rocky Mountain National Park. After Alaska, California, and Utah, it has the most national parks in the nation. Masa Verde and Black Cannon of the Gunnison are two of the smallest parks west of the Mississippi River.
Speaker 4: Did a family road trip through all of these?
Speaker 1: All of them?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: How'd that go? Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, peaks and valleys?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 4: Great sand dunes? Was the sand mites or sand take.
Speaker 1: Those with you to the next national park?
Speaker 4: Oh man, everybody just got destroyed, you know, because you're like kids and you want to like go roll down the sand dunes or whatever. Yeah, it was nasty.
Speaker 6: If you keep going past great sand dunes. There's a place that has alligators, like.
Speaker 1: You mean, like fossils or what?
Speaker 6: No, no, no, live alligators like a driving towards like a zoo, like a roadside Yeah, attraction, weirdest thing in the world.
Speaker 2: Have you driven past that? Phil?
Speaker 1: We are halfway through the game of trivia. Give us a scoreboard up.
Speaker 5: We'll do really quick. I was too busy processing spud Nick Brody? Did you get spot Nick or.
Speaker 2: Now I did not?
Speaker 1: Okay, we've got to rub it in and.
Speaker 2: I swear I don't try to do that.
Speaker 5: We went Roman with zero points, Reef has got one, Brody has three, Jannis and Seth have four, and tied up in first place with five points and a perfect game are Cal and.
Speaker 1: Randall Question six? The topic is conservation. This next great question also comes to us via John Schlessinger.
Speaker 4: God Guy, the satellite guy.
Speaker 1: He is our most prolific prolific emailer uh and he probably has the highest like batting percentage as far as questions being used.
Speaker 2: How many hats and T shirts have you sent? John?
Speaker 1: He's been our listener question of the week before, so he is I don't know if you want a board game or a book. At that time, I haven't even read the question yet. Randall's writing it down because he can see it on the screen.
Speaker 2: Here it is, John.
Speaker 7: If you feel like you're not getting you know what you need out of this deal, just right in, just say.
Speaker 2: Heads up, Yanni.
Speaker 7: That'll be the code word. Spencer will pass that off to me with your address.
Speaker 2: I'll take care of you.
Speaker 1: Uh huh and uh and Roman will probably get your email as well.
Speaker 2: That's right, here's the question we have ready.
Speaker 1: What federal agency almost exclusively drove pea green vehicles until the year two thousand.
Speaker 6: I feel like there could be a visual component to this, because you know, pea green's open for interpretation.
Speaker 1: Is that a technical term that like, no, it's not a technical term. Yeah, If it's not, there's enough context there. What federal agency almost exclusively drove pea green vehicles till the year two thousand? I believe it was when I read something from Auto Trader about this and then they described them as pea green. So there you go, pea green? What federal agency almost exclude green vehicle?
Speaker 6: If I've got the answer till the year two till you can't pull up a picture of pea green.
Speaker 5: I bet people have different interpretations of that.
Speaker 4: Company had the contract.
Speaker 1: There's an answer to that. I don't I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Okay, is everybody ready go ahead and reveal your answers. We have REVA saying rangers, Roman saying forest Service, Randall saying Forest Service, everyone else saying Forest Service. They got it. The correct answer is the US Forest Service. For decades, the agency almost exclusively purchased vehicles that were painted a color that became known as Forest Service Green. The iconic color was started getting phased out about twenty years ago as a way to save money. The Forest Service said it costs five hundred dollars more per vehicle to get them painted that color, and then made it harder for the agency to resell them. They have now transitioned to driving white vehicles instead, which are the cheapest to purchase. This change has actually made the remaining Forest Service Green trucks a collector's item. Can you guys now picture the Forest Service green vehicles one?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just don't know if I think it's closer to a mint green.
Speaker 6: Greens like picture pea soup man. It's like a dull kind of all of.
Speaker 1: The picture of appealing. Do you guys recall seeing Forest Service green trucks all over the mountains back in the day.
Speaker 4: Well, I had friends driving them during high.
Speaker 1: School, Like they bought them from the Forest Service that they were trying to match the Forest Service.
Speaker 4: Now it bought them from from the Forest Service.
Speaker 7: I know somebody that I think he still owns one. Yeah, but it kind of I think hurt us when we were trying to get hunting permissions out of this vehicle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's good. Question seven the topic is fishing. The three most popular freshwater fishing lines at Shields and bass pro shops are braid, monofilament, and blank. The three most popular freshwater fishing lines at Shields and bass pro shops are braid, monofilament, and blank. You need to tell me what that third one is Confident room except for maybe Roman and Riva.
Speaker 4: I wonder who fish is here?
Speaker 2: REFA. I liked that always a T shirt under a different sweater.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I recognize the logo.
Speaker 3: He doesn't like it anymore.
Speaker 2: I thought you had a like a take back sweatshirt.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, new merch idea right there.
Speaker 1: There, you go, everybody in your hand or something.
Speaker 2: No, it's the cat got after me?
Speaker 1: Is that what happened?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Okay? Well see you just can't tell us or what?
Speaker 2: No? Okay?
Speaker 1: Can you tell us when the mics are off?
Speaker 2: Maybe? Okay?
Speaker 1: Interesting heck of a scar on Yanni's hand.
Speaker 2: Please write in and let us know what you think happened to be honest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is everybody ready?
Speaker 2: Pull up my pant legs too?
Speaker 1: You want to get go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Reva and Roman without an answer. The rest of the room says floral carbon. They got it. The correct answer is floral carbon. Floral carbon is less visible and more durable than monofilament, but it's typically more expensive and has less not strength. Floro is a great choice when going after spooky fish with light bites. To learn more about these three types of line, check out our article on the medeater dot com called what fishing line should I choose?
Speaker 2: SETH?
Speaker 1: What situations do you like to tie on? Florocarbon?
Speaker 2: I use as leader material when I'm walleye fishing.
Speaker 1: There you go pitching jigs with it?
Speaker 2: YEP.
Speaker 1: Question eight The topic is woodsmanship. This next great question comes to us via Philip C. The History Channel launched this survival competition reality show in twenty fifteen, which they call, quote the ultimate test of human will. Randall is confident he's the only one. The History Channel launched this survival competition reality show in twenty fifteen, which they call quote the ultimate test of human will. This is question eight. We'll get a SCOREB word update from Phil after this. Seth, you know this one. No, Brody, you know this one?
Speaker 2: Pretty sure? Pretty sure? I got it?
Speaker 1: Cal? You got this one?
Speaker 4: No idea? I mean, I know names of shows, so I picked one.
Speaker 1: Sure? Is everybody ready looking for The History Channel survival competition reality show launched in twenty fifteen. Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Reva saying alone, Roman saying survivor, Randall saying alone, Cal saying alone, Yannis saying naked and afraid, Seth saying alone, Brody saying alone. The correct answer is alone, Cal and Brody I think kept the perfect game going me. I'm sorry, Cal and Randon dates after this. The grand prize for winning alone is five hundred thousand dollars. Clay Hayes, who won Season eight, survived for seventy four days in the Canadian wilderness. He said in an Outdoor Live article that he wore the same first light bass layers for a month straight, calling Marina wool a miracle fabric that helped him win the show. Phil, we have two questions left. Give us a scoreboard update.
Speaker 5: Let's see here we've got out of the game. Are Roman and Reva was the only the only two? Everyone else is technically still in Giannis and Brody have six points apiece, Seth has seven and perfect Games callan Randall tight up in first place, shaping up for a time.
Speaker 4: We recently bathed together, so it's kind of funny that we did.
Speaker 1: Okay, did you boys go to the hot spring together?
Speaker 2: I've got to soak.
Speaker 1: In question nine, the topic is hunting. This type of motor, which comes in short tail and long tail, is commonly used on duck boats. This type of motor, which comes in short tail and long tail, is commonly used on duck boats. Randall, is this going to keep the perfect game going?
Speaker 3: Is it a brand name or is it a type of motor?
Speaker 1: It's not a brand name. Okay, how about you?
Speaker 4: Cal I think so, but that I could be could just be something that we say, yeah.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm That's what I'm okay, I'm wondering if there's a more technical term.
Speaker 6: Wow, yeah, dropping hints there, Randall.
Speaker 3: I mean for who, I just need to get it right, that's all that matters.
Speaker 1: Maybe we'll have our first ever perfect game tiebreaker. Oh, it's never been a thing in meat Eater trivia. Could be the day, CLO. Is everybody ready looking for the type of motor which comes in short tail and long tail that's commonly used on duck boats. Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Reva saying outboard roman without an answer, Randall saying mud motor, Cal saying outdrive, Yanni saying mud saying mud motor, Brody saying mud motor. The correct answer is mud motor. Randall, got it right, Cal. Can you prove to me that people call those out drives?
Speaker 4: That's what we called it on every episode that I was on for the Duck Show, and it has. I thought mud motor was a brand name.
Speaker 1: There's mud body, mud Buddy, but.
Speaker 4: Mud motor came from mud Buddy, which would be the brand name.
Speaker 1: So I think it's the other way around. I think mud Buddy came from mud motor.
Speaker 4: Well, like I said before, I don't actually know this.
Speaker 1: I will do some googling after I read our factoid, but for now, Cal, we're gonna say you're wrong.
Speaker 4: Whatever.
Speaker 1: Mud motors are designed to navigate through shallow, hazard filled waters that have dense vegetation, stumps and rocks. Unlike outboard motors, mud motors are air cooled instead of water cooled, which makes them superior and shallow waters. They gained popularity after World War Two, where Germans use them to cross shallow waterways. Cal, We're now gonna look up. Would you call it out motors? Outdrive, out drive, motor? See what it says um outdrive, stern drive. I'm not seeing anything that talks about them being a mud motor.
Speaker 2: Cow.
Speaker 4: Like I said, Man, I'm not going to go to the board on this one.
Speaker 1: Okay, does anyone who wanted to defend Cal's answer he's passionate about.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's that's just, yeah, just what we called it.
Speaker 3: I thought there was another term like an inline, uh something else that which was what I was trying to come up with, but I couldn't think of it.
Speaker 1: So sorry, Cal, I'm seeing surface drive, which is another name for the short tail motors, but I'm not seeing any outdrive. We're onto question ten. The perfect game remains in Randall's grasps. The topic is wildlife. This is our listener question of the Week, which was won by Samantha McCann for sending this great question. Samantha is going to get a board game signed by the crew. If you want a chance to win our listener Question of the Week, then send your question to Trivia at the meat eater dot com. Name one of the six tortoises native to North America. Name one of the six tortoises native to North America. Brody is confident.
Speaker 6: It doesn't matter, though, does it?
Speaker 1: Well can tie him?
Speaker 2: Seth?
Speaker 1: Wow, Seth, good on you. I've been I've been focused on that end of the table that I almost forgot about our other players in the room. So Seth, who has not picked up his whiteboard.
Speaker 4: Yet, I'm proud of you, Seth.
Speaker 2: Thanks Gyl.
Speaker 1: Name one of the six tortoise is native to North America.
Speaker 3: You could have given me six guesses at how many tortoises are native to North America, and I don't think I would have come up with Okay, that number So.
Speaker 1: God, has anybody ever seen a tortoise in this room like an out in nature? He did, Cal, what was fun? Do you know what it was?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, So you think you have this one right?
Speaker 2: I know one of the six.
Speaker 1: Okay, very good, Randall, do you have this one right? Are you going to get the perfect game?
Speaker 4: Can I give you a hint?
Speaker 1: No, don't do it. Do not give him a hint.
Speaker 3: I'm going with a very vanilla guess.
Speaker 1: Okay, context, is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Riva saying snapping turtle, Roman saying snapping turtle, Randall's saying desert, cal saying gopher, Yanni is saying desert, saying brown, Brody's saying desert. These six tortoises are Texas tortoise, gopher tortoise, Bolson tortoise, and any of the three types of desert tortoise, which are mojave desert tortoise, Sonoran desert tortoise, and thorn scrub tortoise. If you just said desert like Randal, I will give it to you. That is a correct answer that the desert tortoise thing division has been.
Speaker 4: Much debated of different brands out drive motor desert tortoise.
Speaker 1: Come on, I decided ahead of time. That's why I phrased it that any of the three types of desert tortoise. It's even debated if there's five or six because of how people will lump and split the desert tortoises. Well done, Randal, perfect game. His first ever Perfect Game felt like a long time coming' you've threatened before, but now you've done it. You just needed that trivia bar warm up last night.
Speaker 3: I gotta say this last question really makes it feel kind of hollow.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think. I mean, I'm still overjoyed.
Speaker 3: You know, it's not lost on me what a wonderful of legit is to play this game, and I just want to thank all of my competitors for this moment.
Speaker 4: One answer, though, that covers fifty percent of the question. That was kind of I mean, come on, now.
Speaker 1: The gopher tortoise. But whatever the first three were.
Speaker 3: When you're reading those, I was like, oh, there's no way that desert is a thing.
Speaker 1: The gopher tortoise America's tortoise. There you go. The gopher tortoise is found in Louisiana, Mississippi. Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, and Florida. It's the only tortoise naturally found east of the Mississippi River. The other five species of tortoise are found in California, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, Texas, and Mexico. What happens next, Randall is the perfect game winner. You get to choose where a one thousand dollars donation from media to goes. What's it going to be?
Speaker 2: Guard the gate, Randall, guard the gate area?
Speaker 3: Do you wanna Are you asking for a CRWM?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, yeah, let's do that.
Speaker 3: Times of the essence, there's no more pressing. Well, there's probably a lot of pressing issues, but it's among some of the most pressing issues facing hunters and anglers today.
Speaker 1: Explain what that is. We've now donated I think three straight episodes to this.
Speaker 3: Cause, Coloraden's for Responsible Wildlife Management, and I think I'll let our one of our resident Colorado's former Colorado's better explain the details that I can.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they are fighting the soon to be ballot initiative. Probably if it gets onto the ballot ninety one, there could be another one. But in essence, they're trying to outlaw the hunting of cats in Colorado, and a lot of people think that this is the very just the front tip. If that goes, then all sports of other hunting will just be in line after that to get acxed.
Speaker 2: So, even if you.
Speaker 7: Are not a hunter of big cat, but if you like hunting in general, we all, I'm speaking for all of us in this room at this company, believe that you should support cw r M.
Speaker 6: Sorry, you know that we've never talked about giannest is what they're actually doing the help out people.
Speaker 2: Tell us No, I'm like, oh, what CRWM is doing.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean they're the only ones I don't want to see the only ones doing anything, but literally the ones that are on the front line, they are organizing. Basically, what's gonna have to be the the I guess the informational campaign. It's got to be put out there as uh, if this thing does become a ballot initiative, they're gonna be the anti campaign that puts forth a lot of money, energy effort to educate hopefully the front range voters of Colorado because they are the ones that are gonna probably end up making this decision and try to sway them to not outlaw this hunting?
Speaker 2: Was that good?
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's why we're sending another real information as opposed.
Speaker 1: To what the other side's doing. Yeah, correct, sending another one thousand dollars their way. Well done, Randall. Perfect game, our second one of twenty twenty four, and our reminded we didn't have any in twenty twenty three, so we're off to a strong start. Join us next week for more Meat Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins.
Speaker 2: Thanks Spencer, Thank you Spencer and Randall.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you Dans