Speaker 1: From UFOs to psychic powers and government conspiracies. History is riddled with unexplained events. You can turn back now or learn this stuff they don't want you to know. A production of iHeart Radio.
Speaker 2: Hello, welcome back to the show. My name is Matt. Our colleague Noel is on an adventure, but will be back very soon.
Speaker 3: They call me Bed. We're joined as always with our super producer Paul, mission controlled decads. Most importantly, you are you.
Speaker 2: You are here.
Speaker 3: That makes this the stuff they don't want you to know. This is thinking about this earlier, Matt. This is an episode about more than one conspiracy. In fact, I would argue we could call this a story of conflicting dual conspiracies, both true, both set against one another in a fundamental shadow war. And we were going to record this episode earlier. I'm glad we took some time on it because key to this tale is larger than life, immensely controversial figure to some folks. He's a hero to others, and we'll get to those others. In specific, he is a bungler who nearly risked the safety of America entire Now, question, had you heard of this guy before we started researching.
Speaker 2: Him only from film school in this movie that came out in nineteen thirty nine that we're going to talk about. That's the only reason I knew anything about this story. It is a weird time in US history often, I think, at least in my personal experience, when we think about the United States and spying, there's a hyper focus on the United States versus the Soviet Union. This is a time before the Cold War spying days and games. It's interesting to take your mind to the nineteen twenties and thinking about spying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's also the interwar period is something that doesn't get a ton of examination in a lot of American public schools. And as we'll see, there's a reason you could argue some of this history is hidden. Tonight's episode is the story of a guy. We're gonna call it Leon G. Truro. We'll call him a Nazi hunter because he was. But maybe before we begin we make a little note about pronunciation, because it's sort of all over the place with his last name.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you watch the trailer for the movie we're going to be talking about in a moment, well, I guess should we just say what the movie is. It's titled Confessions of a Nazi Spy. It was released in May nineteen thirty nine. And in that movie they say this person's name, and they say Leon George ureau Turo. Oh. But then if you look online at other people who were talking about this person, you're often going to here. At least I heard Teru. I think it was maybe a Scottish gentleman who said it that way.
Speaker 3: And then yeah, and then we can't discount the presence of the Transatlantic accent. A lot of historians that I've been reading or hearing I have said terurou. The spelling is t u r r ou. We are going to possibly slide in and out of different pronunciations. But be assured, fellow conspiracy realist, we're talking about the same guy to some a hero again to others, A real Paul beat me here and I hate the curse so early in the show. But a real's.
Speaker 2: Super intense liar about all things.
Speaker 3: Right, So let's let's dive into Leon. And to tell the story of Leon, we have to learn the story of the Nazis. Here are the facts, all right. Luckily, today in the modern US, for most people, for the vast majority of people in the West as well. Calling someone a Nazi is a serious insult. It's it's such a it's so universally identified as a bad thing that it's a cliche. The Internet has rules about it too, right, there's that tendency. There's this argument that at some point in political discourse someone will call someone else inevitably a Nazi.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the worst thing you can call somebody, because they are history's enemies, right, the enemy number one of history is the Nazis. But it really does go way way way back before the Nazi Party is ever established. You can you can trace it all the way back to eighteen forty one to a guy named Friedrich list As, a dude who just talked about expansionism basically and economic control, like the Germany basically should have a lot more of both of those things, blood and soil mm hmm. And go through criminal biology with Franz von Liszt and I mean, just you can keep you can go way back with basically the ideologies that formed into this thing called the German Workers Party or DAP.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the German Workers Party can be considered the demo mixtape of what we call the Nazi Party today and the Nazi Party today is most closely associated with Germany in World War Two for obvious and horrific reasons. But as you said, Matt, the roots of the party are much much older. You could look at the Nazi Party as understood today as more of a distillation of some ideology that was already well established in that part of the world for some time. Like at length, what we call the Nazi Party, or the demo tape of it was, as you said, the German Workers Party co founded by a locksmith who's a guy named Anton Drexler co founded this with three or four other guys on January fifth, nineteen nineteen. So this is just after the armistice that ended the First World War. Germany is in a very bad way as a result of the agreements that ended the war, and Drexler is what we will call a far right figure at this point, he's kind of no offense to us. In his early days, he's kind of podcaster level, and so he's holding these local media the salons you will call them in Europe, and he has people over to talk about ideas. They're all people who are kind of echoe chamber. He's not inviting dissenting views into this mix enters a guy named Adolf Hitler. It's on September twelfth, nineteen nineteen, and Adolf Hitler is there ostensibly as just an interested civilian to learn more from a self taught economist named Gottfried Fader, and Gottfried Fader's kind of a pill. The subject of his lecture is breaking the slavery of financial interest, which is kind of a dog whistle for a lot of anti Jewish sentiment. However, Hitler is already participating in a conspiracy at this point. He is there not really as a civilian, that's his cover. Instead, he has been assigned by the German Art Army to monitor potential political agitators, which I think is funny as we as we see how things go on. Anyway, Hitler does something you probably shouldn't do in his position with the army at that time. He sticks out well, yeah.
Speaker 2: He gives a big old public speech in October of nineteen nineteen, and a pre arranged public speaking engagement, let's say, immediately as a member of the DAP, just like right after going to the first one.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, And in that first meeting, the October speech, you're mentioning comes from this September twelfth meeting, because in there he starts arguing loudly with a professor in the crowd who is raising objections to some of the economic concepts of feder and Hitler super impresses the DAP audience because he's passionate, he's vehement, he's got this electric energy, and he impresses everybody so much that the guy we mentioned earlier, Anton Drexler, comes to Hitler and says, Hey, I dig your vibe. I wrote this pamphlet it's called My Political Awakening. I think you should join up with us. You know, thanks for coming to the meeting. You should come to more, and you should talk about the things that you mentioned in this meeting. Hitler at this point feels he has found kindred spirits and the rest, as they say, is history. In this case, terrible, terrible history.
Speaker 2: Just for a little more historical context here, we have to mention what happened to the Weimar Republic's economy and post a World War One. Yeah, yeah, post World War One, post revolution, post everything going on in Germany. In nineteen twenty two, hyperil inflation hit. It's really hard, and then as it goes in towards nineteen. In nineteen twenty three, they had hyperinflation. And just to really understand that we're.
Speaker 3: Talking of the wheelbarrow story, maybe.
Speaker 2: Well it's not even the story. Just to give the numbers, Imagine that your US dollar come compared to what's another curzy a pound British pound. Imagine that six hundred dollars equals one pound, and then imagine within months that becomes two thousand US dollars equal one pound, then ten thousand, then forty thousand, then one hundred and fifty thousand, then three point five million, then ten million, then sixty million US dollars equals one pound. Imagine that internal existential political crisis that that would cause, right within a within a country, within an individual, within systems, within groups and parties. That is the kind of crisis that it creates real intense change because something's got to change right right. And you combine that with in nineteen thirty one, so like that's in nineteen twenty two to twenty three, combine that in nineteen thirty one, you've got five point six million unemployed people that should be working in Germany. And you put those things together and you can just really see where if there's a strong enough order that has some ideology backing the words that they're saying, you can create a movement pretty easily because you just need some way out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, is it okay if I tell the Wilbarrow story. Yeah, yeah, my favorite examples. So this is a a it is a bit embellished. But the way that one of the best ways to understand this from a human level is that people at this time hyperinflation is a thing that still happens in the modern age. Look at Zimbabwe, look at Venezuela when it hits Germany. Due to again the conclusion and the agreements of World War One, people would end up having to take wheelbarrows of their local currency to a place, and when they went to a store, they would try to purchase things as early as possible because by the conclusion of that business day the money would literally be worthless. So, you know, you hear horror stories about the Great Depression in the United States and runs on banks. There were runs on bakeries, there were runs on cobblers, there were runs on anyone doing business. People were trying to move the currency. Was a very desperate time and desperation has ever been fertile soil for fascism. So this, and I appreciate you mentioning this, This is context in which these horrific things can occur. You know. There is also the I wouldn't say revision is his, but there's a valid alternative history observation here which is quite common in academia, that says, if it weren't specifically an Adolph, it would have been someone else because the public was so ready for someone to say there is a better way. Also in a shameless plog, please check out Let's Start a coup. The Smedley Butler story is very similar to that, because the US comes a lot closer to fascism than any of us or any textbook editors would like you to think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and if we're to know, to believe all of the information from Leon G. Tourou, then that fascism was moving throughout the United States even in this time in in the nineteen twenties.
Speaker 3: And we've explored Nazi conspiracies at length in stuff they don't want you to know. Thankfully, most folks today are aware of the atrocities wrought by Nazi nax's powers and to be fair also aware of other horrors committed by allies, right, like the invasion of Russian forces and of course the deployment of nuclear weaponry on the US part. However, there is a lot of hidden history out there, still conspiracies that aren't as well known even as we record tonight in twenty twenty four. Enter Leon George Tourou original name Leon George Tuovoski born September fourteenth, eighteen ninety five in Cobram, Poland, which was then part of the Russian Empire. But his parents weren't Russian, right, they were French and Polish.
Speaker 2: Oh sure, Yeah. His father died before he was even born, and his mother then passed away early in his life, so he was well at least. Again, it's tough, so is this his official biography, because the guy told so many stories about his origins. There were there are all of these. There are all these tales that he would tell, and the first one that you would hear from him often was I'm an orphan, right, But I don't know. It's tough with this guy because I've read other stories where maybe he wasn't actually an orphan, and he did have family early on that we're not dead. But according to let's say, the official story, his dad died a story from the FBI. Yeah, even from the FBI. But he was telling everybody stories, even the FBI. Yeah, I don't know. It's a little weird, but his according to the official story, his dad died six months before his birth and his mother passed away early in his life. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And with with those caveats, which are nice foreshadowing, we'll say that again. The official accepted biography after this guy's death is that, because spoiler he's dead, is that he was adopted by a wealthy tradesman or merchants, basically a traveling guy who's doing well for himself, and as a result, young Leon spent most of his own childhood moving through different countries, and when he reaches the age of eighteen, he relocates to the United States and he gets a job as a translator for the New York Times because he has a command of multiple languages. Again with a lot of caveats. Tureau serves in the French Army from nineteen sixteen to nineteen twenty. He fights on the Eastern Front. He is engaged with German forces at some point and he does take an injury, we don't know the extent of the injury, and we do.
Speaker 2: Get in there. It's weird though, because their story. I just I don't want to poke holes in any of this. Man. It's just weird to know that he also told stories that he fought in a different area during the war, and that injury that we're talking about, that's a bit mysterious, was like it was refuted by several other people, like, oh, that's not actually what the injury was from. And then he told other people a story about getting injured in a different way.
Speaker 3: So the one thing we do know for sure is that he was hired by the FBI after an interview with j Edgar Hoover, and according again to most of the official sources, he got the co sign to be hired despite lacking the normal qualifications that would typically be required of most prospective FBI agents. You know what I mean, like college in addition to military service or things like that. Right, they have a checklist of stuff, their version of a background check. Right, And he works for the Bureau for about ten years. Matt, do you want to talk about the various claims of things he was involved in over that rough decade.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm not really sure about that stuff. I just want to point out that I think this guy walking into JEdgar Hoover's office and having a conversation, I do think in there somewhere is the telling of Terureu to Hoover. Hey, I am a shadow. Nobody knows the actual facts about my life. Nobody knows who I am. Nobody knows anything about me. I can do things basically for you and for the Bureau that other people can't because I'm literally a shadow.
Speaker 3: And tabula ross a blank slate. Yeah, and I mean we have to remember this is before the CIA is, So maybe that's why I went to the FBI instead. We know that he received an assignment, and well, like you can read about involvement with pretty Roy Floyd or Lindberg, baby kidnapping, investigation of the Kansas City Union Station, murders, and investigations into crashes and things like that. That's what occurred in this sort of montage period of that decade. But tonight's episode is not about that. Tonight's episode is about the assignment that would change his life and perhaps alter the course or actually provably in my opinion, at least alter the course of US history. Far before World War II, in the interwar period, the American forces, the American public, and government alike were contemplating a blanket neutrality policy, what we'll call isolationism. And during that time, the Nazi Party was conspiring to infiltrate US soil, to capture the heart's minds and ultimately, hopefully the military of the American public, and so agent Tourou was given an enormous, dangerous task. Everyone feared a new war was on the way, was all over the press. But his bosses and the FBI told him terrible secret. Leon They said, the Nazis are already here. Here's where it gets crazy.
Speaker 2: Matt.
Speaker 3: I really appreciate what you pointed out about some of the missing context here, because a lot of modern Americans, and again textbooks don't like to admit this, but eugenics and Nazi like ideology and actual Nazi sympathizers existed in the US since the nineteen twenties, and when Hitler rose to power officially in nineteen thirty three, those groups just got larger, right, They just sort of gained momentum domino or snowball effect style.
Speaker 2: Yeah, back in eighteen fifty six when an essay on the inequity of the races was written. It wasn't just you know, in German and people in Germany reading that. There were Americans reading that book. There were people all of the planet reading that book and probably having thoughts altered and changed. And some of the viral thinking is seeping in all across the planet. And you know, concepts of fighting for again the working people, that's an old concept and it has really nothing to do with fascism. It really is like a puzzle getting put together with very specific pieces, right, that form this thing that becomes Nazism.
Speaker 3: Yeah, again, it's Nazism is combining a lot of pre existing prejudices, right, and one of the there are a couple of factors that we need to outline here for that context. Yes, the racism is not just based in Germany, obviously, it's not just based in the US. Obviously. It hacks a universal psychological desire, which is one I think I'm great? B Why am I not as great as I feel like?
Speaker 2: Right? See?
Speaker 3: What can tell me that I am somehow inherently better than other people? And this is something that you see leveraged all the time by bad faith actors. The country, the US had and has a large German American population, and at this time a lot of people are you know, first or second generation German Americans, and they still have family abroad, so they are not necessarily green with the current political powers of a Germany. But they're also saying, hey, don't dunk on these folks too hard, because I'm from there, or I know those folks, I'm related to them, and the US government in theory very much in theory protects free speech. Groups like the German American Bund b U and d RISE they openly support specific Nazi ideology along with you know, the symbols and the flags and the marching. And to be clear, a lot of these groups, especially the more militant ones, were similar to what we might call the QAnon movement of today, right minus the online presence. QAnon's largely started as nonline thing, similar to a tea party or whatever kind of extremist ideology you want to put in the overall German American community. At least again, to be sure, according to the historians I read, they didn't really vibe with this group. They were like, hey, we moved you know, we just want a good economy, We want our kids to have a better opportunity at life. And the Nazi American groups, for the most part, they add little actual connection to the Nazi Party in Germany what our pal laur and Vocobama would call the actual facts German Nazis. But still even with that, they were fanboys. They wanted to bend American politics closer to Nazi ideals, particularly fascism and anti semitism. And a lot of Americans, German American or not, we're kind of squigged out by this because they thought, what if there might be a German fifth column? And this was a fear that just translated from earlier fears about communism, right, a secret cabal of communists that were out to take over the hearts and minds of America. Even though, to be one hundred percent transparent, none of the Nazi American groups were down with communism. It was a big part of their speeches, like the best way to be anti communists. That's how they started, because you know, they try to normalize things. They're like, hey, you hate communists, right, America? And they say, yeah, we hate communists And they say, well, we hate them too, And the best way to fight communism is Nazi stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fascism strong strong people that come through and just tell you what is and what's good and what's bad exactly.
Speaker 3: And you know this is not the dunk on anybody's personal perspective or experience. It's an understandable thing if we exercise empathy. Plus, the US is a country where people are then, as now in theory, legally allowed to shoot their mouths off about all sorts of wacka do ideas, right, I personally like seeing some crazy guy with a megaphone on a street corner. The concept is, so long as you're not calling for violence nor harming people, you're theoretically good to go, as long as they're just homegrown dissonance and propagandists. But the question is, what if there were actual wolves operating amid the sympathizer sheep. In nineteen thirty eight, Hoover and the FBI, their fears were confirmed. This is where we discover the first conspiracy, which is again adapted into a movie that you can easily view on either Archive dot Org or Amazon Today or Turner Classic Movies or TCO.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the information contained in that movie is based on a screenplay which is based on some articles that Touro.
Speaker 3: Was based on, a book based on the articles.
Speaker 2: Yes, based on a well, yes, well there. According to TCM, the screenplay itself is based on the articles themselves, rather than even the book. So it was it was articles that were told by Torow to this guy named David G. Whittles, who was working for the New York Post in nineteen thirty eight, in nineteen thirty nine. So it's that, you know, this is a story that Leon told or mister Trureau told to somebody else and then it got turned into the story, right. I think that's just important to remember because it's I don't know, it's it's probably a lot of it is probably correct, but it is one person's viewpoint, and this person tends to, at least according to a lot of people that knew him, didn't always say the truth. So it's like, okay, so here is, as you said, how this whole thing begins. It's February nineteen thirty eight. The police in New York City arrest this guy. His names Quinta Gustav Maria rumrick On behalf of the Army and the State Department they arrest this guy because the Army in the State Department are like, this guy's bad. The State Department received a tip from British intelligence claiming that this person was impersonating the Secretary of State in order to obtain thirty five blank US passport.
Speaker 3: Why what an interesting question. Let's bring him in and ask he's impersonating the Secretary at the State of at the time is a guy named Cordel Hole, and Cordell Hole obviously no longer the Secretary of State. However, it sounds crazy ambitious right now for anybody who's tried to get a passport with their own real identity in the modern day. Rumbrick knew enough about the processes and mechanisms of the US government to do some social engineering or attempt it. However, as we'll see, Rumrick had an ego disease. He was maybe a little bit well, let's say it this way. He's a crafty character, he's ambitious, he's more than a little taken with himself. He's a naturalized citizen. He was a US Army sergeant till he deserted, and he's a textbook example. I would just argue of a guy who fancied himself destined for greater things, As any investigator can tell you, small people with big egos or a gift when it comes to busting a crime ring. And so you can see this in the articles and the book and the film which we'll talk about all three of those towards the end where we get to the Leon question here. But in all of those depictions or descriptions or narratives, when common throat we see is that Rumrick or the characters based on Rumrick are easily manipulated by flattery. So the interrogators are saying, oh, wow, you're a mastermind, you know. I mean, look, I interview a lot of criminals, but you're different, So surely you'll have a better lie than that or something like this. And so Raman ultimately agrees to confess this part is true. This is not the smoking mirrors nor the adaptations. He says, well, you know, I'm not actually just a regular Joe, a regular naturalized citizen and deserter. I am acting on behalf of Nazi agents the abver Germany's foreign intelligence service at the time. And he says further, you fools, German agents have worked since late nineteen twenties to penetrate, to infiltrate industry, government, and academia in the United States. And then he said, look, I'll tell you my story. Because he liked talking about himself. He said, I'll give you the names of ten to fifteen spies that are currently working for Nazi Germany as part of this infiltration operation. And I'll tell you some of the stuff we already found, which is interesting.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and there's a clip in the movie that I guess we could play. Yeah, why not? This is this is a movie from the thirties. Let's play this clip.
Speaker 4: I am one of thousand stationed in every part of the United States to steal the secrets of your national defense. There are spies stationed in all of the Navy yards in Brooklyn, Philadelphia, and Newport News. There are Nazi agents in the aeroplane and munition factories at Bristol.
Speaker 2: Question, they're everywhere, The spies are everywhere. Did he say.
Speaker 3: Newport News, Newport News, Virginia. Right, that's a place, Yeah, Newport News, Virginia.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I did not know. I thought I was looking at a publication or a paper when I when I heard Newport News.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's the adaptation. Going back to Rumrick in his interrogations, he does say they were able to already have stolen top secret US technology codes prototype of a code breaking machine, not Enigma, importantly, that's a different one, that's different realm of cryptography. And they also got data about communication structures and the latest US fighter planes. So they leave the interrogation room with US folks and go to a very intense series of meetings and community cayse. This is a classic bad news but not the worst news situation. The State Department, the FBI, and the War Department are in what corporate America would call a healthy discussion about the next steps, which for all us non corporate folks out there means that they were yelling over each other and they were super pissed. And one of the most pissed people is the legendarily non paranoid J Edgar Hoover.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Well Hoover immediately looked at it and just said, guys, I don't have enough control over this. This thing is compromised, for sure. There's way too many in this pot. I don't want I don't even want to touch it.
Speaker 3: I wonder if it was even about control for him as much as as much as it might have been about just quality standards. I mean, you're probably right on both. But but he, as you said, he noted that the case was already compromised. Right, This guy by this time is already ah off his office top hat, you know what top hats. But he's off his top hat about communist infiltration. He's he's thinking, you know, if you don't work directly for me, I can't trust you. And to him, the State Department, in the War Department may all be already be riddled with foreign agents, but the War Department insists that this is the FBI's job. And the War Department at this time has a lot of juice because the world is increasingly starting to They've gone from worrying about a new World war to increasingly assuming that it's going to happen. The poop is on the way to the fan, the cars about the swerve and hit the tree. So despite all the objections and ardent objections they were the task of tackling the spy ring falls to the FBI. This is the beginning of our second conspiracy. It's a counter conspiracy, and from the jump, everybody in the FBI says, well, if you work for us, you understand, you're aware of our boss Hoover. You know that we have to keep this stuff super secret, no chasing publicity. And this is where we enter to Row at this point. He's an experienced special agent and he's the kind of guy who, on paper is a perfect fit for this operation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they said, hey, this is your assignment, dude, get out there, get it done. So they take all the information they got from Rumrick right. Then they go and interview other people who were apparently a part of this whole group. Who's this next person, doctor Iganskribbel.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he had already been identified as the head of the US German intelligence ring. He's probably the smartest. He's one of the most fortunate of the German spies. He functions in a big way as a recruiter, so's it's like a multi level marketing scheme. He's recruiting people, they're recruiting other people, and he is. He is successfully arrested, the good doctor. Weirdly enough, he makes bail and surprise, as soon as he makes bail, he skips down. He's off to Europe. He's not coming back, you know, And it seems that Toro is realizing, despite Rumrick's claims, he himself is more a minor operator. He's a minor cog, you know what I mean. He's not James Bond, this guy, but he is a lot like a jukebox in that once you put a quarter in him, the guy, I'll sing And he starts breaking down the operation as far as he knows it. He talks about folks like Johanna Hoffman, who serves as a go between for Rumrick's contacts in Germany, a guy named Carl Schluter, and he says, this Carl guy Schlooter is also contacting other spies in America. Our pal, Johanna Hoffmann gets a lot of mail, and that's something that Hoover and the boys can look into.
Speaker 2: Yeah, reading people's mail, listening to people's calls, dode all of it. What was the title. There's a Time magazine article on this and it is titled Snoop, Look and listen. They're all about that.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, library records, postal records, and according to Rumrick, before he was captured, he was using the code name Crown. We can't even get into agent Sex, which is another alleged thing is so nuts. So Rumrick, under his operator named Crown, would email letters to a Scottish woman named Jesse Jordan, who was also a spy for German foreign intelligence, and he, in his correspondence mentions a plan for German secret service agents to overpower actually to mug an American Army colonel in Manhattan at the Hotel McAlpin, and they were going to mug him to steal East Coast defense plans for the US in the situation of war, because again a war has not started yet, and the agents will take the plans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the concept, right, But having the defense plans for an entire seaboard of a country, if maybe your navy was going to roll up, would be a nice thing to have. It makes a lot of sense strategically, right, right.
Speaker 3: And then afterwards, you know, you want to eliminate the hand, right. So the idea was, after they knock this guy out and steal his stuff, they'll try to do a stitch up job to blame vague communist forces or no communist affiliates, which you know it's happened before, and it does work when you pull it off. But these investigations that Touro is doing. They work as sort of a daisy chain and gaming connections. If this, then what so you find one snake in the grass, you wiggle it a little, you manipulate it to revealing others And to be fair Toerna's team were closing in on spies. But why did the FBI itself later refer to him as a bungler. You can go to the actual FBI archive and I know not all the writing is super compelling, but they have a lot of good articles to be like, they do have some really good stuff. And what article is called a bite out of history Spies Spies Lost, Lessons Learned, And the FBI writes the FBI has some serious beef with Leon because they say that he kind of screwed the pooch on the whole thing.
Speaker 2: Well, yeh. He would interview people who were telling him and everybody who's interviewing them, Hi, I'm a spy. How are you nice to meet you? I'm a spy, and then you know, and here are all my activities I was doing as a spy. And then Turo comes through at the end of every interview and says, okay, hey, thank you so much. For all that information. You've been extremely helpful. Now you're gonna have to say all of this again, and you're going to testify before a grand jury. Cool, and guess what most of those spies did.
Speaker 3: They left, yeah, post as soon as they were out of the room. They were booking a taxi to a port, and they were gone, and then they were alerting other people in their network. The FBI specifically says this quote is a verbatim quote. After each interview, Toro told the spies that they need to testify before a grand jury, and most fled the country to avoid prosecution. Makes soon ass, I mean, yeah, soon as And they shouldn't have even let they shouldn't even let that doctor out on bail. I was crazy. He also, fun fact, was one of the first FBI investigations to employ polygraphs, which are you know, junk science. But that's important because most of the later cases in these conflicting conspiracies ultimately depended upon the statements of spies themselves without a ton of corroborating evidence, because again, the war hadn't happened yet, so it's tough to you know, like, if you have the plans for defense on the East Coast, and this is all over the press at the time. If you have the plans for defense on the East Coast, and a successful operation leverages those plans, then it's a lot easier to convict people because you know, something actionable occurred.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but now you're being invaded by another country, right, So you're in a whole other situation. And are you even going to be able to convict somebody if you can't stop an invasion? Yeah?
Speaker 3: So this is again bad news, but not the worst news situation untill you know, it does.
Speaker 2: Get worse, and it will right after this break.
Speaker 3: And we've returned. This became the FBI's for major international spy case right in there. There had been spies busted before the creation of the FBI. There have been other operations, but nothing of this magnitude. Eighteen people are indicted. The trial is going to be held in Manhattan Federal Court. The judge is John C. Knox. It's October fourteenth, nineteen thirty eight when they start selecting the jury. And I'm sure there was a lot of prejudice there, right, How many German Americans got to be those twelve lucky people, no wonder I'm going to say not many and October fourteenth is when Rumrick pleads guilty. Fast forward just a little bit December second, nineteen thirty eight, less than a year before the beginning of World War two. These cases go to trial. At least the case is for the people who were apprehended and didn't imediately flee down as soon as they were given the chance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there are three individuals, Johanna Hoffmann, Otto Hermann, Voss and Eric Glasser GLA Sr. They were all found guilty of espionage through this trial.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Gunther Rumrick is found guilty as well, but he gets a reduced sentence because he turns Stooley. So the spies all serve between two to six years each. Again, our buddy doctor Grebel has successfully fled the country in nineteen thirty eight. As a funny story. In nineteen thirty eight, depending on who you ask, Tureau is fired for breaking the FBI the FBI oath right or the understood the implicit assumption of secrecy because he's leaked stories to the press. He's publicized a lot of stuff. He's the one who pitched writing articles for the papers. And the one version I heard to that earlier point about multiple versions. One version I heard was that our buddy Leon resigned to write his book, so he sent his own resignation proactively to the FBI.
Speaker 2: But he didn't say, hey, I'm going to go write a book to like anybody official, right, he just.
Speaker 3: Put in his resignation, but word got around, And that's another version of this. The other if he's by fur Kate and formed back. Then the conclusion of the funny version of it is that j Agar Hoover finds out this guy's resigning and then finds out why, and Jay Edgar Hoover is furious, is consumed with wrath, and he says, I reject your resignation, jerk, You're fired. No resigning for you. You don't get it. It's like the opposite version of you can't fire me, I quit. And the problem was that there was serious damage here, and the damage reverberated. However, Touro still had to go to trial right of these suspects, and when he was on trial, he got accused of being a huge publicity hound, like, oh, you weren't really protecting America. You wanted to become famous, you wanted money, power, respect, You tampered with witnesses. They even said that he took a bribe from doctor Greebel, which we couldn't prove, but he was accused of it, and that goes to the court of public opinion. It is true though he did end up writing those newspaper articles he wrote Nazi Spies in America. According to some sources, those articles directly got adapted to a film. According to other sources, that book got adapted to a film, which is.
Speaker 2: Either way, it's money right right, He.
Speaker 3: Did get paid for it, which goes to ethical concerns. In Matt off Air, you were saying, the title of the film as it's known today is Confessions of a Nazi Spy, again freely available. It's very interesting look at society of the time. It is propagandistic itself because it's Hollywood's first explicitly anti Nazi kind of film of this caliber. But you also said you have the original working title.
Speaker 2: Oh, there are several working titles, but one of them that you can find on TCM if you check it out, is Storm Over America. Storm was coming back in nineteen thirty eight. Then it's funny in the trailer they say it was our duty to make this film and it's your American privilege to see it. And then it was chosen as Best Picture of the Year by the National Board of Review in nineteen thirty nine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I knew that part. This is I mean, this is it was successful.
Speaker 2: There's no way around it.
Speaker 3: It was very successful. But I think we could argue the film is more successful than the actual operation on the rum Rick spy ring because, due too, in big part to Ro's investigation methods, four times as many spies escaped as were captured. So it's kind of like trying to It's kind of like trying to pick up rice with a fork.
Speaker 2: Yeah that has not been cooked right, uncompressed?
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, yes, And I mean the other thing is, you know, I was wondering if we mentioned this. This is not the end of Leon's professional or personal life. He was involved in a lot of other situations. You would think this would be such a black marker to merit on somebody's career that you're just out right you retire in exile or obscurity, you start an EMU farm or something. But he got hired by Eisenhower.
Speaker 2: Nice career move.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he rounded up thirty five thousand or he helped in an operation round up thirty five thousand suspected Nazi war criminals. He got a bronze star. He wrote another book, and I haven't read this one. It's called Where My Shadow Falls? In nineteen forty nine.
Speaker 2: I told you he's in the shadows.
Speaker 3: Where does his shadow fall? Oh? He works for a billionaire. He works for Jean Paul Getty. And then he just hangs around Paris for most of the rest of his life, and he becomes like a popular dude on the street. They call him the American Mayor, not an official title.
Speaker 2: Yes, a man of mystery, right there.
Speaker 3: An American Mayor, and he does. We do know that he passes away in December tenthnineteen eighty six. And that number is fascinating because these stories I don't know about you, man, These stories often feel so constrained to a distinct time in history. Nineteen eighty six. It's pretty nuts. A lot of people listening were around when that guy was alive.
Speaker 2: It's weird to think about, but it does make me. I don't know. When I think about his life overall, I think about the allegations of him making up a lot of stuff about himself. It does make me wonder, I don't know, back in the day, like the vetting process for an individual human and trying to check records, you really did have to go off of word of mouth, often like an employer if you're checking references or something, or I don't know, parents, family friends, teachers, professors like you just had to listen to what other people had to say about somebody and trust that that was true.
Speaker 3: A other Daisy chain investigation kept shaking the trees, I mean, and I love that point because then it also shows us why a lot of people had collegiate backgrounds, right, why a lot of State department and intelligence agencies pull from what we would consider upper Aeschlot or IVY IVY League schools. Right, there is a pre formed community.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and everybody can say, oh, yeah, I know that person. I remember they've told me this or that. Yeah, that's what they told me.
Speaker 3: His secret frat name is Finicky Jenkins. Oh dear, Oh okay, he checks out. I mean, but that's also a weakness in those organizations, you know. That's why the Cambridge spy ring was able to exist at all. I think it's because of that inherent class system, as well as, to your point, the very difficult task of vetting people. It's a little bit easier now, or depending on what side of the fence you're on, it's a lot more difficult to be a bit of a con artist. They the FBI, going back to the original article, they say that this guy's background just did not prepare him to do espionage, and that when he leaked information about the case, he violated everything an FBI agent is supposed to do. And we've talked about this before. You know, whenever you read an article, especially in high level US media, about an official speaking on condition of anonymity, that was that was greenlit like four ways the sundown, you know, before somebody said yeah, i'll speak anonymously.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: There's like tons of conversations they have to have with their bosses. Somebody probably checks with another agency and says, hey, are you cool with us talking trash about Taran? And they're like yeah, but don't don't use your real name. And they're like, oh, okay, I'm going to go as my frat name, Finicky Jenkins. And they're like, well, just okay, in that case, don't use a name at all.
Speaker 2: That's pretty honny. It is interesting how there's so much to be made about Roumrick getting coins put into him and then singing right, But that is pretty much what Turou did because he was so excited to tell people about what he had done. M all right, see some commonalities here, agreed.
Speaker 3: Sometimes people become the monsters they hunt right or acquire their attributes. And I think that's a fantastic point because we also see it was an earlier It was an earlier conversation we're having about the the professor or the academic who was in charge of Hannibal Lecter in Silence of the Lambs, both the novels and the film adaptations. His main concern was publicity, right, and success, And you could argue, I think you could argue with a lot of validity, that's Roe's at least partially doing this stuff. I mean, when he leaks information, is he trying to shake the tree, rouse some more operatives, or as the FBI very very heavily implies, was he just trying to get attention and money and center himself as a hero. I don't know if those things are mutually exclusive, to be honest, because sometimes people believe their own bs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's quite often the case. But I wonder, I wonder how you would Okay, let's game it out. You do come out with this information, you leak it to the New York Post, and wait, how does that shake the tree? How would that not cause anybody who is, you know, engaging in spying behaviors? Why would they come forward?
Speaker 4: Ah?
Speaker 3: It would only work if you already have strong suspicion or understanding of them. So if you already know their established patterns and correspondence, and you leak something like that, and the next thing you do is watch them and see how, if and how they alter that behavior pattern.
Speaker 2: Because so if you suspect somebody of being a spy, you you give in this case, real information and just see how they react.
Speaker 3: Right, Like I hypothetically or just thought experiment way to do it. Let's say there were let's say you and Paul and I had pretty solid intel. We had arrested our Rumrick or whatever, and we had a pretty good understanding of five other spies in the Atlanta metro area, right, and we knew their names, we knew enough about them to monitor or them, and then we let slide in you know, the Atlanta Journal or Constitution under condition of anonymity or whatever, that we suspect there are more spies in the Atlanta area, and then we would just keep those five people on twenty four to seven surveillance to see who runs for the airport first, and we would meet them there.
Speaker 2: That's that's really interesting, and I think that theoretically you would work for those five particular people. The larger effect, and maybe that's what the FBI was criticizing. The larger effect is that the rest of the network, because you're you're going after a small nest, basically, the rest of the network just says, Okay, we're out couple.
Speaker 3: Of eyes ghosts. Yeah, and you got to let the you got to cauterize the wound, right, so burn those other five.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's kind of like, this is why I'm putting it in there to be fair. But this is why I remain suspicious of the purity of Thuro's motives, because it reminds me of the idea of leaking information for greater advantage or forward progress on an operation like this. It reminds me a lot of very specific moves in fighting games like Yoshimitsu. For anybody familiar with. Techan has a move where he can stab himself and it does a lot of damage to him. But if his opponent is in a position that doesn't often happen, where they're standing directly behind them, then it's a big win. But that position usually doesn't happen, is the issue. That's why it's a special move.
Speaker 2: Why did he get a sword? Baffled me when Yoshimitzu got a sword right?
Speaker 3: Oh, and everybody else is pretty much hand to hands.
Speaker 2: Yeah, go on, well what's up with that?
Speaker 3: In the new Tech? And they have oh, a guy who is I guess his background is a spy as well. He for some reason has a knife and a gun.
Speaker 2: Oh in a suit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it doesn't seem fair.
Speaker 2: And they got a bear in the mix.
Speaker 3: Come on, yeah, they had a bear in the mix. Do you think you could fight a panda bear? Like, not a bear bear, but a panda bear.
Speaker 2: Probably not.
Speaker 3: I don't feel like I would ever. They seem so non agro. I feel like if I was holding bamboo, a panda bear might get angry at me or like snatch for.
Speaker 2: The Yeah, I just want them, yeah, come on, man, give me some pamboo.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's more like that Dave Chappelle character than it is like nagro thing. But yeah, you're right, I never thought about that. Yoshiminsu has a sword. Huh. Story for another day. What is the most overpowered fighting game character in your opinion, because I think we both played a lot of fighting games.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't know, overpowered. Uh, probably saying Gief. I'm just playing.
Speaker 1: That's funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I don't know. You tell us, folks, conspiracy. iHeartRadio dot com. We do have to say. I guess there's there is silver lining. There's this history and I've been reading Rodrie Jeffrey Jones Jeffries Jones, who wrote a book called the FBI a History and several other articles, and Jeffries Jones argues that because of the flaws in this spy ring case do pretty much entirely to Row, the US embarked on a better counter espionage program like it went up to Franklin D. Roosevelt, president at the time, and he said, you know, his fancy version of holy smokes, this is terrible. We have to make sure this doesn't happen again. And so in a way this informs a lot of the co intel pro stuff. We see later a lot of the sweeping surveillance laws that come into play the s Stellar Wind, Stellar Wind, there we go, five eyes to watch them all? You know, I don't know, man. It seems like, perhaps, at least in part, because of these conflicting conspiracies, the US government has gone down gone down a potentially dark path, breaking or bending the laws of their own country multiple times, up to and including murder in service of a greater good. I mean, is there a balance to be struck? And if so, what is it?
Speaker 2: That's a great question. Why don't you let us know what you think about it? You can reach us all over the place on YouTube and on x on what was the other one? Facebook? We are conspiracy stuff. On Instagram and TikTok we are conspiracy stuff.
Speaker 3: Show and if you're not, if you're not sipping the social meds, never fear. You can always contact us on a telephonic device. The numbers say it along at home one eight, three three std WYTK. When you call the number, you'll hear a message and a beep like so so beep that gives you three minutes. Those three minutes are yours. Go nuts. We love New leads for shows. We love reactions. We also like just some nice things, like the anonymous person who wrote into us and said that we talk well and do things right. With eloquent emails as well. Most importantly, give yourself a cool name nickname moniker. Let us know if we can use your name and or message on air, and if that doesn't quite bag your badgers. If you have more than three minutes worth of stuff to say, send us the links, Send us the pictures. Take us to the edge of.
Speaker 2: The rabbit hole.
Speaker 3: We will do the rest. Drop us a line at our good old fashioned email address where we.
Speaker 2: Are conspiracy at iHeartRadio dot com. Stuff they Don't Want you to Know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.