Speaker 1: Loud and Quiet presents Midnight Chats.
Speaker 2: I hope this is a good sign. But I think this might be the first episode of Midnight Chats which references a previous one that we've done, and I think that means that we're building a back catalog, right, which we're told by people who know about podcasts is a good sign. So we're happy about that. Back in the autumn of twenty sixteen, I went to go and meet Flying Lotus in an old cinema in London for Midnight Chats, and we talked mostly about the short film he was showing that night, Royal and the feature length one he was making at the time Cuso. If you're a regular listener, you'll recall that we both kind of struggled to describe just how dark, disturbing and disgusting what he's made is. And that night, Flying Lotus had some friends in the house, lots of people who came out to support him on his record label, Brain Feeder, including our guest on this episode, Thundercat. Now in this you'll hear Thundercat talk about Flying Lotus as the two Stevens aren't just label mates, they're also pretty good friends in day to day life, and maybe hopefully once you've listened to this one, you'll want to go back and check out that Flying Lotus episode. It was number seventeen, and wherever you're listening to this, you should be able to go back and scroll through and find it. But onto Thundercat and a quick resume for those who aren't familiar. I could probably do this in one sentence, and that's that. Thundercat is the guy that every musician who meets him loves. But there is a backstory.
Speaker 3: Of course.
Speaker 2: He's from a very talented musical family. His father was a drummer for The Temptations and was also in Diana Ross's band, and Stephen picked up the bass at a very early age and as anyone who's seen him live or know, he's basically got this supernatural talent for his instrument. By the time he was eighteen, he already joined the legendary thrash bands Suicidal Tendencies, and it was pretty recognizable on stage as the guy who'd wear a helmet and shoulder pads, and he quickly became one of the go to session musicians in Los Angeles and he still is now. He played him back and bands for Snoop Dogg and Erica Badou. But it wasn't until Flying Lotus signed him to brain Feeder as Thundercat, named after the cartoon, that he started releasing his own albums, and a couple of years back, he famously produced Kendrick Lamar's album to Pimper Butterfly. That was after the pair had got in the studio together and Thundercat scored Kendrick on some classical jazz and the two it off. Now, what I will say is that if you're looking for the scoop on what Kendrick's next album it's going to sound like, then this isn't the place.
Speaker 3: Instead, we attempted to.
Speaker 2: Answer some far more important questions like are cats better than dogs? And what does thunder Cat fill his empty suitcase with when he goes to Japan? What's the single greatest video game ever made? And you can hear his eyes practically light up when I mentioned video games in this? And how can you possibly begin to describe just how gross Flying notices Khuso film actually is And he's a clue We don't really, so we cover a lot of ground in this. Thundercat released his latest solo album, Drunk earlier this year. I recommend as you're listening to this, check out the artwork for that album if you haven't already. There's some good stories about that and on the album. He also has loads of notable guests. Kendricks on it was, Khalifa and Farral were all on drunk. But maybe the most surprising collaboration on it is with Kenny Loggins. And if you're thinking that name rings a bell, then yes, it is the same Kenny Loggins from the Footloost and Top Gun film soundtracks. So I met Thundercat a couple of weeks ago. It was backstage a venue called Heaven in London where he was playing. We sat on a couple of springy leather chairs and I really enjoyed our conversation.
Speaker 3: So this is it.
Speaker 2: This is Thundercat on episode twenty four of Midnight Chats. Thundercat, Welcome to Midnight Chats, our podcast series. It's great to have you on. How are you doing today?
Speaker 4: I'm all right, man, you know, just landed. I'm not too angry, not too tired, definitely got a poop, but you can't do that.
Speaker 3: We could take a short break if you need. Just give me the signal I'll just poop during the interview, just to set the scene for people.
Speaker 2: We are. We're in a backstage room at a venue called Heaven in London that you're playing tonight. It's kind of makeshift. We've got some interesting things going on in here, particularly this piece of artwork which shows Amy Winehouse and Shakespeare, and I think that's possibly George Michael on the wall elsewhere that thrown there. This is quite a famous venue in London. That thrown there, I think has been used on stage by Lady Gaga and Madonna by all accounts.
Speaker 4: Okay, so I must smell.
Speaker 3: You've got to take that on stage with you tonight.
Speaker 4: Totally take it on stage and just hack it with the axe.
Speaker 3: How are you doing anyway? Has things?
Speaker 4: I'm all right, man, just I've been on tour for quite some time, just to kind of, you know, in and out of lucid insanity. Uh No, I'm just I'm just chilling, man. I'm just kind of I don't know what to think right now. It's been a long time. It's almost been two months now.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Do you miss home when you're out on the road. Do you just kind of like consume yourself with it? Do you just get by? How do you deal with it?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Sometimes I start to miss it. Then I start to remember, like, you know, this is what I've done my whole life, so I don't really I don't really feel weird about it. You know. It's like I've always traveled, so it's like, you know, every now and again, I missed my cat, you know, and I'll miss like the sights and smells, but it's very short lived.
Speaker 3: What's your cat?
Speaker 4: Tron?
Speaker 3: Okay, brilliant name for cat. What's he like?
Speaker 2: She?
Speaker 4: It's very human, she does.
Speaker 3: She kind of sense human things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's very very humanized. She's like a very had a very interesting sensibility, very funny. Doesn't chase lasers, Yeah, yeah, none of that stuff. She's a little smarter than that. But she is fun though. She's a lot of fun. I like dancing with her, like sniffing under her neck.
Speaker 3: Those are the things you miss.
Speaker 2: I think cats are for me, cats better than dogs, because they are that's official, that's a certified fact.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because cats are just they're just a bit more noncho than They're not so needy.
Speaker 3: Are they.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're they're to themselves and you know, they can take care of themselves.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: I always I always tend to think, like I feel weird, like I'm leaving my cat behind. I'm like, if my cat was a wild cat, it would like eat once a week. Like I just realized that, like cats are just a different you know, they're a different breed man.
Speaker 3: And who feeds the cat when you're away?
Speaker 4: I have tons of friends that will come over and feed Tron. You know, to tell people, no, do you want me to go over and check on Tron? And it's like, no, don't worry. There's like ten people watching Tron.
Speaker 3: But like the cat's getting fed like thirteen times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, come home to find Tron has put on some serious weight.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, everybody loves Tron. She's fun.
Speaker 2: Talk to me a bit about the live show, because is it right that when you guys are performing, you don't you and your band never play the same set list twice.
Speaker 3: You kind of just you're a little bit more relaxed about things.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, you know you try to like change it up a lot, you know, you know, challenge each other a bit, change change time signatures sometimes, and you know, try to try to imply or try to interject in proversation as much as possible, you know, And yeah, but I mean, you know, it's like it's one of those things where we've been playing together for quite some time, so it's a bit of comfortable. It feels a bit comfortable to do it. You know, just change things up all the time.
Speaker 2: Do you make this decisions before you go on stage or stage? And how have you been enjoying performing the material from Drunk?
Speaker 4: It's been fun, it's been intense, you know, like I have to sing a lot, you know. That's one thing that I'd never anticipated in life. You know, even over the last five years of like never gets old. Like it's tripping me out to know that I'm singing all the time. And I was like, what the hell, man, you know, but it's just part of it, so I just kind of I just go with it.
Speaker 2: One of my favorite guests that we've had on the podcast in the last few months was Fine I guess And we recorded an episode in an old cinema in not too far from here, actually a couple of streets away, Regent Street.
Speaker 3: It was because Stephen was showing.
Speaker 4: It.
Speaker 3: He was showing away, did you.
Speaker 2: I mean, first off, I mean, if people who have heard that episode of the podcast heard kind of both of us struggling to sort of describe that movie, do.
Speaker 3: You want to give it a go?
Speaker 4: Oh my god, Yeah, I don't even know. I don't know. Yeah, that's a difficult one, man. I honestly, you know, kind of threw me off there. I don't know how to describe that movie. It's just really intense.
Speaker 2: He was saying that he's I mean so to feel people and you've known each other probably about a decade or more, and that he's always wanted to make films as well as the Yeah, he's been kind of working on So how long have you I mean as sure as a kind of sort of close native is have you been talking about the ideas and been talking about this stuff that's coming to fruition now? But I bet it's gone back to conversations for years now.
Speaker 4: Right Man. It's mind blowing to see it coming to fruition. You know, It's like, you know, there were moments where, of course, you know, I know, you know Lotus's history with you know, film and stuff like that, and everything from that to him rapping his Captain Murphy was always a shock to me. You know, it was kind of like a little of a different facet of his character that he would never let on, you know, like you would never have known, You're like, no way, you know, and to see his first film, it's like it's fantastic. It honestly is. It's like, you know, we would talk every now and again about it, you know, and I feel like his uh, he influenced me in that manner a bit, because it's like I was a bit of a film buff, but not until I met Lotus. That dude. You know, he knows his film and to a major degree. It's like if it would affect me to you know, to to the way I would write music and stuff too. But at the same time, it's like I would have never thought that he would actually, you know, do it. And you know, the best way to describe it is, you know, don't underestimate Flying Lotus, you know. Yeah, that's all you can That's that's how I can sum it up. Man.
Speaker 2: I thought it was funny that when he was trying to describe the movie because he had trouble himself because it is a it's kind of it's dark, it's kind of fut of dot humor, but it's also pretty much. I mean, maybe maybe you've seen similar films, but I certainly haven't. It to me, it was something quite different and it's pretty gross.
Speaker 3: That's putting it very lightly. And he told me that his grandmother had been to see it, which I thought was just absolutely super.
Speaker 4: You got to take the family, You got to let them know how crazy you are. Exact you always have to ever reminder, like, don't forget I'm crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oh, it's definitely that when you I mean with going back, you know, you no notice for a number of years. And you mentioned there that until you met him, he was a he was a guy that could kind of score you in movies. You never even heard of what's the best recommendation you've ever had from a movie?
Speaker 3: From from Flying Night?
Speaker 4: Oh man, it was the day when he introduced me to old Boy. Okay, yeah, he's the one that turned me on an old boy, you know, And it was just mind blowing. It was funny because it's like it's like guys of a certain class, you know. It's like he's like, hey, you know, you need to go see this movie. And I was like what, you know, I was like, all right, sure, you know, and I watched it and I was like, oh my god. He was like right, and I was like yeah, and he was like, we just need more movies like that, and I was like, yeah, we need more movies like yeah.
Speaker 3: It's about opening for people haven't seen it.
Speaker 4: It's a Korean film, it's a it's a it's an amazing film, you know, it's a it's a revenge story. That's I wouldn't want to ruin it for anybody that hasn't seen it yet. But it's one of those things where it the twists are so hard in this movie that it just may give you whiplash. Man. It's it's it's it is intense, man, it's everything. It's violent, it's just everything you want to happen in a movie that you would be like, oh, that is cringe worthy. It's this is that movie, you know, and it's like, it's just got this amazing climactic moment in the movie. I just will just ruin your life.
Speaker 3: That is some recommendation.
Speaker 2: Did that kind of like turn you on to going and checking out other South Korean movies, like films made in that part of the world, that kind of genre that was at the start of, you know, a love affair with that kind of thing.
Speaker 4: Well, I was always kind of, you know, into it myself to some degree. But you know a lot of the time, you know, recommendations are important from your friends, you know, and it just fed into it more, you know. I would start going into other places like Poland and Serbia and looking for movies there and stuff like that. It sparked my interest even more of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and when you're traveling playing music.
Speaker 2: Now, I'm sure it's difficult to often find the time, but can you if you're visiting Poland playing the show, or if you're in Tokyo, or if you're in Soul or something like that, do you try and kind of make a few hours to get out, get to the kind of local DVD store.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, that that happened right before this interview. I just walked off. I just was like, oh, we're here. Bye. Pauls like where are you at? Where are you at? And I was like, I just walked off.
Speaker 3: Man, you know you could have seen something.
Speaker 4: Yeah. They're like, you know, you know, life is being lived and I will live it. Yeah, I always do. I always do. One thing that sucks THO is when you go to different places like that around the world. You know, all the different DVDs, they don't have the same region codes, and not everybody likes English, so they just don't put that as a subtitle option. So you just feel stupid, you know. I've had that happened way too many times. I'm like, I'm so excited because I'll go find a movie that I've been looking for and I find it and bring it home and I have I have a multi regional DVD player, but I put it in the DVD player and then there's no option for English at all, and it's just like wow, you know, it's like these are terrible people. But you know again, you know, no, I guess nobody's expecting, you know, to reach that market or so yeah, you know, but you you know again, you know, you just just wait patience, and it winds up coming around.
Speaker 2: Where's absolute kind of nirvana for you? Is it when you go in somewhere like Tokyo, Because obviously there's a track on drunk that's cool. Tokyo it's an amazing place. Japan's a fantastic country. When you look at the list of all the places you're going to, kind of visit this year. When you see Tokyo on there, do you sort of get a buzz about being able to go back to that place.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I freaking love Tokyo, man I do. I don't know, It's just I've been gone there for years and years, you know, from my youth up until now, and it never gets old. I get excited every time, you know, just the thought of what could be there, or what they've been hiding, or what they've been working on, or you know, what's new. You know, seeing new faces, and you know, it changes every time you go. Somebody may recognize you, maybe they don't, you know what everybody's like. It's just it's it's just beautiful. One thing that's really cool I remember about Tokyo was I remember I got a chance to go see it when it was all lit up. You know, they had all the lights blazing and all that stuff, and I think for the sake of energy and you know, conserving energy or something like that, they would cut the lights off. So there's part of there's probably people that are going now that don't get a chance to see Tokyo the way it used to be, where it was like all lit up like Las Vegas. You know, everything was flashing and neon lights and TVs everywhere. I remember it was just like intense and it just never it's never changed, you know. I go out there with with the excitement of what's new every time?
Speaker 3: Do you go with an empty suitcase and just fill it with like.
Speaker 4: Yeah and yeah? Well I learned not to try to do it with the DVDs. You know. That's the thing I'm saying. You get out there and they just intentionally don't put English. They'll put like Chinese and like Spanish, but then it would be like who Spanish is gonna watch this? Like who is gonna make it all the way over here? You're just your mind's blowing it why it won't be English translation? But they just will not put English translation. That could be a slight, you know, that could be a little bit of a slight. You know. I'm paying attention to Japan, but it is one of those things that's like, you know, I do go there, you know, and I just wind up coming home with the extra suitcase or something. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Stuart, who also sometimes does this podcast, went recently and he came back with a number of like little gadgets and things like that, but also the miniatures they did kind of they make everyday objects, but just the miniature and you can get.
Speaker 3: Them from the kind of like.
Speaker 2: Lockers in like the tube station, and you can get a very small version of a I don't know, not something like traditionally like a very tiny pineapple.
Speaker 4: Yeah, desk pineapple, Yeah, yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Is he a home like back home in.
Speaker 4: No, not so much of a not so much of a little knick knack thing, but it's more like things and like you know, pieces of clothing or like stuff like that, like rare pieces of clothing or or like you know, I mean there was like one time I brought home this umbrella that was literally I didn't realize how collectible it was until my little brother broke it because he was an idiot, and you know, he's holding it again it's the wind and it popped one of the things, and I tried to get it replaced, and then trying to get it replaced, I found out that it was a rare and collectible like like it was like more than like a little cool little thing. It was like there's only like fifty of them made, and they were like at one point on display somewhere and I was like, I couldn't believe my little brother Boke. Nobody could fix it. And it's just to this day, I could just punch my brother's front teeth out. It was from Japan, you know, but yeah, it was literally I get to just spit on my brother. You know, I still this day, I could just punch him right in his mouth for that umbrella that you broke at Oh my god. Anyway, but I tend to look for things that are that are a bit sentimental for you know, you know, I don't know, just for different things. You know, I do have, you know, like certain purposes when I go looking for stuff. You know, it's not just all cool I found a little No, it's like go to Akihabra, you go to the Nike, you go to the Nike store, you know, go to Gundam Cafe. You know, I'm not so much a horror yuku guy. You know. It's like I do enjoy it, but it's like just more so enjoy the things that are not so touristy there, that are more like their actual things. You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're obviously a kind of fan of film, but growing up was music the total dominant force in kind of family life.
Speaker 4: It was mostly music. I think music income embodies like a lot of different parts of culture a lot of the time too, but for the majority of it was music. I was also a bit of a visual artist, but yeah, the main influence now is music. You know, families are family all musicians.
Speaker 2: And you mentioned the visual side of things because I wanted to ask you about the artwork for Drunk, which, from to my mind, is absolutely superb for people. Hopefully I've seen this, but the cover features yourself kind of submerged and you can only see a little bit of your face. But it seems to have gone down particularly well with a lot of your kind of fans because they've gone out and made their own versions of it.
Speaker 3: Have you seen some of those?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's pretty funny. It's pretty funny, you know, which is something At one point I was wondering when am I going to get to check from it. I was like, this is insane, But it kind of worked out in my favor a bit. You know, it was like, oh cool, and that part of me just believes that that was not coincidence, you know, but you know, I would retweet them when they would do it, you know, or you know, you know, like the photos and stuff. But I felt like, am I like supporting Instagram or am I promoting my album? I didn't know what was going on, but it was funny. I like when people get creative with it and make it terrible too. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a mixture of like abilities going on, should we say to be fat?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, it's pretty fun.
Speaker 2: That day when you when you capture the image for the record, tell me about that, because it looks like you're in a kind of Amazonian like swamp or something.
Speaker 4: Isn't it. It's basically flying lotus of swimming pool Amazonian swamp. I hope, I wish you heard that. Well here it's a weird swamp thing, is like, yeah, it was a swimming pool. Yeah no, that was definitely a swimming pool. And you were just trying to find something, you know, capture something that was a that, you know, the worth one thousand words thing, you know, and it's one of those things. Eddie Alcazar, I think is is really good at that, you know. And we were in the pool for quite some time or not we I was in the pool, you know, until I started shriveling up and everything, you know, and at first I didn't see it. I didn't understand. I was like, you know, the whole concept of being drunk and being the water always kind of makes sense, but I think there was a bit more to capture, and it's like when I saw the whole real back, I was just kind of like I didn't you know, I couldn't see it at first, you know, I was like, ohn't no, it's just me struggling in water. And then there's this one moment that he finds where it's just a bit calm but eerie calmness, and I'm just like shesh. You know, it blew my mind to see it, you know. He's like, what do you think about this one? It's like, oh my god. You know, I was like like I couldn't imagine, like even trying to think what I was thinking in the moment of catching that was weird for me. I was like, I don't even know what I was thinking.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, like what I think.
Speaker 4: I was like lost for a second. I was genuinely in the photo, just like what is going on right now?
Speaker 2: It's kind of like a mixture of sort of inquisitiveness and sort of almost surprise.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like just full on just you know, daft, just you know, kind of just in between worlds a bit, and when the funny thing is everything from the eyebrows to the little bubble. It was just, you know, I think it was the right photo. It turned out being the right one.
Speaker 2: You know, we've talked about your love film. What about things like video games?
Speaker 3: Intervideos?
Speaker 4: Oh man, I'm always I've always got my mind on video games. Man, it's so crazy watching some like watching like the I don't even know what to call it, man, Like you know, I'm a guy that's been playing games for good lord, since I don't even I think more than twenty years.
Speaker 3: What was your first console?
Speaker 4: Oh man, Nintendo?
Speaker 3: Yeah, classic. We always an god rather than say well.
Speaker 4: I had both, Okay, there you go. That's the difference, all right, there you go, And and I had Super Nintendo. You know, it's like it's one of those things where it's, you know, it's crazy watching like the weird part of it where it's like it's hard to get enthusiastic sometimes about them, knowing that they're just going to be this mountain of just insanity. You at the climb, you know, and they keep you know, it's really nice when they when somebody you know makes a platform that's really cool. But then sometimes it's so it's too much, you know, like you know, I hate to say it, but like granted, Metal Gear Solid Last Metal Gear was just like I gave up. I was like I can't do this, man, And it was like then you hear the story behind what happened with it, and then you're like, you know, you're not tripping like today, Kojima in a you know, I think it's acclaim Kojima and yeah they split or whatever, and it was like the game being made was meant to be like this full on, you know, perpetual insanity, and it was just like I knew it, like I hated it, but like nonetheless, you know, I still get very excited about video games, you know. You know, I just bought another PlayStation. I bought the Terraby PlayStation so I can get to the games faster. But I don't know, you know, I was checking out the Nintendo Switch and I don't know yet. Man, I'm waiting because I never was a Zelda fan and there was never a selling point for me, even though I do like Zelda, you know, it's like, I don't They're gonna have to impress me with the Nintendo Switch. You know. It's like I bought the Weiu. I love the Weu. You know, but it's just again, it's just you know, I definitely games are always on my mind. I'm like, should I buy another game in console? And I'm like, no, they're just messing with you now, you know. It's like at this point, they're just making stuff to keep things afloat as compared to coming out with new good stuff. Though. The last good game I did play, though, was a Resident Evil. Oh my god, Resident Evil. Oh my gosh, that game is beautiful. That game is beautiful. Me and Lotus had been waiting for that game for ages. We were like, you see the previews, You're like, oh my god, this is gonna be intense. It's gonna be intense. And we finally downloaded, you know, and then you can have the option to play it in VR. And it was the best moment on this planet. When Lotus calls me and he just calls me, and I'm like, what's up, man, He's like nothing, just kind of you know, chilling playing video games. And I was like, okay, I was like, all right, well, I'm dude having fun. It's like, yeah, man, I'm totally having fun, you know. But he's talking to me and I'm like it sounds like he's kind of stalling. I'm like, what's going on here, man? And he's like, yeah, man, I'm just playing Resident Evil in VR. And I was like, oh god, it's really scaring you is And he's like yeah, he's come up and yeah, he was like, you gotta come over here, dude, this is too intense for you. I need to be in some reality for a second.
Speaker 3: Amazing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, that that game is that that's the last you know. And of course there's always the classics, like Mortal Kombat. You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wrote a.
Speaker 4: Song and it's got Mortal Kombat in it. You know. It's like a little Mortal Kombat waiting for teching, you know all that stuff.
Speaker 2: You know, you're a fan of the kind of like first player action thing or do you like like sports games?
Speaker 4: I hate sports games? Yeah, okay, yeah, you can't be a fan of both. I don't think it exists. I think guys that play sports games are too attached to reality, so they it's like a gambling problem. You know, it's like it's like a person that is like, oh, you just can't you can't play, you can't go and you can't fantasize anything. You just have to see reality all the time. You know, it's got to be it's gotta be like, you know, real life, only play back. I watch basketball and then I played basketball. You know, there's no fantasy to do it at all, you know. But I mean there's some people that do play out play at all. But you know, I am not a fan of sports games, not at all.
Speaker 3: What about the very originals because I win I recently.
Speaker 4: There's NBA Jam, NBA Jam that was fun.
Speaker 3: I don't think. I think I did play.
Speaker 4: NBA Jam was fantastic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we like I think the Britiship said has always been with like the soccer games.
Speaker 4: Yeah, FIFA exactly.
Speaker 3: FIFA and pro evolution soccer.
Speaker 4: I think I played FIFA one time. Somebody tried to get me into it. You know. I was out here for a conference at one point for something and it was actually during the well yeah, no, no, no, it was for the It was I was in Paris when the shootings happened and we were trapped in the place where we were so after I destroyed everybody in Mortal Kombat, I was like, no, let's play something different, you know. So the guy busts out FIFA and I'm just like boom, you know, like this is a trash, and so he goes, no, man, you just gotta you know, you gotta check it out, give it a second. So I'm playing and I'm like, you know, I'm looking at how long it takes to get a goal. I'm just like, this is just absurd. I was like, I can't do this, but I gave it a try. For the record, I did give FIFA a try.
Speaker 2: I tried to find my original Naz in the attic at my parents' house recently, and it broke my heart. I couldn't find it.
Speaker 4: You know, your parents already, you know, they get rid of it as soon as they think you're not looking.
Speaker 2: I know, they really pocketed, like the kind of twenty quid they got for it, like fifteen years.
Speaker 4: The guy good lord, not realizing that it's like a valuable article of history history, you know. But uh, you know again, I'm just again, if you're a gamer, you are. If you aren't, you aren't. It's just that's just what it is.
Speaker 2: I've got fun memories of I mean obviously the like original Super Marios, but.
Speaker 3: Then yeah, I mean so good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but then even games like I mean it's so kind of when you go back now, like pretty rudimentary, like Duck.
Speaker 4: They're still hard as hell. Yeah. Yeah, yeah, they're harder than most of the games we play now, which is really interesting. That's the thing I was telling you about where it's like you just realize the video games like, hmm, this is weird. You know, It's like I'm in, I'm i in like some weird you know, Perpetual Groundhogs Day of Weirdness or these games you know, like actually good, you know, like you're looking for that, you know, because it's like you're saying, like those games are hard, they were not easy to play.
Speaker 3: Are you fully on board with the whole VR thing?
Speaker 4: Do you think you're gonna get to it? I was on it a while ago, a couple of years ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where do you think it's kind of I mean, I've not had a chance to give it a go yet. So what just does is it completely fully immersive? Is it like, does it take gameplay to a whole different level?
Speaker 4: It does but you have to. You know, it's just something, a new learning curve. You just have to get used to it. You know, could knock you off your equilibrium a bit, you know, if you're not careful, and if you're in it for too long, you know, you take the glasses off, you're like, whoa, you know, but it's great, man, it's great. I've never experienced anything like VR, and it's fun. You know. You know, at some point I'm hoping they'll be able to make it a little more comfortable, you know, but you know, even if they don't, it's what it is. It's it's it's its own separate gaming experience, and to have the option is more important than anything.
Speaker 2: You know. We talked about flying that it's in his like ultimate ambition to go out and want to make a film. He's always wanted to make a film, like he's for years and years since he studied university. But what about yourself in terms of like, I mean, it sounds like pretty passionate about video games.
Speaker 4: You know, No, I don't want to make a video game.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 4: Nah.
Speaker 3: If they've had an idea for a video game, I mean I have.
Speaker 4: Moments where I wish they would bring certain types of gaming back, like you know, Siphon Filter or like Tenche Stealth Assassin. You know, but uh, I don't now, I've never been, you know, into the idea of me. I've always thought about you know, music for video games of course, you know, and.
Speaker 3: If you kind of have you done anything like that in the past.
Speaker 4: Well, there was Grand Theft Auto. Yeah, me and Lotis you know were involved in that, and they had the radio station with fly Lo FM, you know, and he'll play music and stuff. I think that's the coolest thing that has ever happened in the video game ever too. That will go down in history as one of the coolest video games to ever exist. Grand Theft at five unbelievable. Yeah, hands down. Shout out to Rockstar games Man.
Speaker 2: Is that the like, I mean pretty mu an impossible question. It's like asking somebody what their favorite album of all time is? But is I mean, is that in.
Speaker 4: That the games?
Speaker 3: Is that the game? Is that the king of games? Is that the all time?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I gotta say yeah, Especially when they made it like La La, It was like I was like I would do it like you get caught up and you know, you would get caught up before playing the game and just going around on killing Spreeze and stuff. But now it's like you don't even have away want to kill anybody. You just want to get a dope car and like drive around l A and go to the strip club and just literally just vibe out to like fly low fl like like you would normally do during the week.
Speaker 3: I remember that really might because you did.
Speaker 2: You would just like kind of always like Ar'm down, just like, oh, actually stopped playing this game technically like five minutes ago.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then you're just in your car like doing the same thing that you were doing in the video game. And then the night progresses and you do the same thing, and then you can I'm back to playing the game, and it's like wait, like wait a minute, and I still am I the game? Yeah, but yeah, grand Theft Auto I think we'll go down in history is one of the best, if not the best platforms.
Speaker 2: I went to talk for just quickly about Drunk, the album you've recently put out, because among all of the guests that you've got appearing on that record, one of them stood out.
Speaker 3: For me, and that was Kenny Loggins. Hey, how was it? Like, how is it welcomed with Kenny Logan, King of Soundtracks.
Speaker 4: Kenny is the man, dude, Like, oh, I'll say it once, I say it again. Kenny is the man. You know. He's just you know, he's been around forever, you know. And that's that's one thing that like I think resonates more than anything. You know, most people fade to black or just disappear in obscurity.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: Kenny's like been there the same person, I think, the whole time. And I think that was proof of it by them working together with me.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: It's like there's I talked to Kenny every now and again, you know. And the funny thing is he's like he shies away from like being involved in like events sometimes, but I understand it, you know, because it's like he's been around for decades. Like he's been around literally, you know, before I was born, and you know, he you know, he's just you know, I think he just tries to do things that mean something to him. I think, and I think that when I think it posed a challenge to work with me, you know, I think that that's what made him want to do it. Every time I look back on the song, it just kind of like I smile because it's like, you know, it's just I remember the process and I remember, you know, the feeling you know that I experienced when I realized like I'm sitting here riding with Kenny log AND's Michael McDonald, you know, and I was just like if I could do anything, if I could ever like when we look back and be like, oh, I said, there was that one moment you know it exists.
Speaker 3: That does that rank among the great kind of thunder cap Yeah?
Speaker 4: Absolute lutely? Man, absolutely did you.
Speaker 3: Find yourself kind of like being a fan with him when you first Man.
Speaker 4: And I just kind of like I had to try to find the balance because it was like, you know, you know, he would like ask my opinion, and I would just be like, whatever you say, Kenny, whatever you say goes, and I would have to like stop myself. I'd be like, wait, let me just take a second. I'll go to the bathroom and be right back, you know. And I go and like try to gather my thoughts, and I come back like I think it's a great idea, but you know, maybe we could.
Speaker 3: Try to you know, just like calm this out. Yeah here for a reason, let me just.
Speaker 4: Go smash my toe with a brick or something.
Speaker 3: Son the Thank you very much for joining us on Midnight Chats.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 3: I feel like I should go and play Grand Theft Auto for the next week.
Speaker 4: Hey man, we did it all the American part of the tour. Man is it's just how old is that now? I think it's like four years old or something, maybe even get more. Yeah, that game it's still just as dope. It was crazy. We started from the beginning and everything, and it was like me and body Math and Justin Didnis. We were just sitting there like, WHOA. This game is intense. It just it just doesn't lose its luster. Man.
Speaker 1: Midnight Chats is a Loud and Quiet podcast production by Emma Snook Music courtesy of gold Panda. Search Midnight Chats on iTunes for more episodes and to subscribe. For more information, visit Loud and Quiet dot com.