Speaker 1: Forever. Hello, Oh hi Maureen, how are How are I see? You have a glass of red wine over there? Right? This is my after dinner before the podcast glass. So I love that, but.
Speaker 2: I gotta leave it all the way over there, because you know, I got a black and white rug, and every time I spill something, I spill it on the white part.
Speaker 1: So it's happy Black History Month. That's how it should be. Thank you so much. Thank you. Yeah, you know what, that's the other way to look at it. Thank you. The black side is still clean. The white side dingy fills on brand. Hey, Marie, I was actually thinking about getting a steamer for my apartment, Like a steamer, like to steam the floors and the carpet. You think that should be the move? Or?
Speaker 2: No, don't you have a cleaning man? You don't even clean? Does say he come with his own supply?
Speaker 1: No, you know he comes from the Bronx, so I don't. I don't think he would bring a whole steamer to eat New York. What you think the steamer's gonna do to your house?
Speaker 3: This?
Speaker 2: It's gonna get rid of the cats. Tell us walk us through the thought process. Ye, I think it's just good it's good.
Speaker 1: It says, it's good to disinfect the floors, it's good to get stains out of the carpet.
Speaker 2: You know what else does that sweeping, mopping, vacuuming. You could do all of those things. You don't need to get a steamer for your house. Okay, so the verdict's out. There will be no steamer at Sydney's apartment. Great, Marie, how are you feeling? How are you doing?
Speaker 1: I feel like you said all that, but you're looking at the tracking number for the steamer you just ordered. I feel like you wants already en route. No, no, no, no no. I first of all, I wanted to check in with my Black Lady counsel and you said no. So that's it's a no. Who told you you needed a steamer? Friend the Facebook adds Marie, I need you to take me off Facebook. I gotta get all. I don't know why, but every day there's something that I'm like, I need this. I didn't talk about it, and I need it.
Speaker 2: I don't think anybody on this zoom has been on Facebook this.
Speaker 1: Year, in the last two years. I'm gonna say that even Andrew. No, not at all.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, I saw that your friend requested me though like a year ago.
Speaker 1: Whoa, whoa, don't you fucking Andrew take that back. I don't remember friending you.
Speaker 3: Really because let me check. Let me check right now.
Speaker 2: Which okay, Well, lose people pull up receipts on this podcast.
Speaker 1: If there's any listeners out there that's looking for a producer, intern hot gay Sydney Ridle, I got you.
Speaker 3: A friend of Andrew Maguire on Facebook. Let it be official? Yeah, win, I don't let me Can I see the friendship?
Speaker 1: Well you're not making a lot of friends on Facebook hunt, so that could friend from several years ago.
Speaker 3: No friends since March twenty twenty, if that's any consolation.
Speaker 1: Well it's a dark time. It was right in the beginning of the pandemic, so yeah, that checks out right. To be fair, we was on lockdown in March twenty twenty, so I mean people were opening up their LinkedIn accounts, So don't do that. Don't come for me.
Speaker 2: Not none of these people here, nobody here was opening up their LinkedIn on March twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Anti who Marie. You know, I would love to start this off on a positive note. So I was wondering if you had any positivity to bring to the pod before we start.
Speaker 2: I got some positivity for that ass. So I went to stopping shop today to pick up a few items. I said, I'm gona get up. I'm gonna start the day the week strong. I'm a grown up.
Speaker 1: First of all, the stopping shop.
Speaker 2: On Atlantic Avenue is not where you should go. Don't go there if you're ever in Brooklyn, because I went in, and I guess the time that I was there is like peak people asking you to get them stuff time. Because in one aisle, like four different people approached me at four different times. I'm looking at the green the pea, right, the sweet peas, the green peas, and some guy came up to me. We make got contact above his mask. I'm like, oh, he's kind of cute.
Speaker 1: He was like hey. I was like hey. He was like, how you doing. I was like I'm good.
Speaker 2: He's like, you know, I make music. I'm selling it an album for a dollar. I said, whoa. I said, I said, good luck with that, and he was like, oh okay. Conversation over.
Speaker 1: He left.
Speaker 2: I'm looking at the garbonzo beans. Now, some other dude comes up. A lady with lashes, these crazy heavy lashes. Comes up to me, Hi, Sis, you know, I'm just wondering if you could help me buy a couple of items. I'm like, Sis, I'm here to get my own groceries.
Speaker 1: I can't help you today. She's like, that's fine.
Speaker 2: Further down this same aisle, this young dude comes up. He's like, Hey, I'm not homeless. I have two dollars. I just want to know. I was like, bro, sorry, I said, it's a lot of people in here begging today.
Speaker 1: I can't help all of y'all. He was like, Marie, what were you wearing? Were you wearing your fur coat? Like? What the fuck?
Speaker 2: Why they think you all had so much money that I had on my tea bos wig you know the Asia Week. Okay, she must have a chest tattoo with something.
Speaker 1: She's one of the wealthy auntie, wealthy auntie on the loose, got it, yo?
Speaker 2: So I like scared this young dude away. And then at the end of the aisle there was a dude kind of hanging out of a wheelchair, like literally like tilting out of the wheelchair, and I was like, yo.
Speaker 1: I'm okay, come on, Marie, what is about to happen right here. Come on, run these bits ciss that you're gonna do on in stories.
Speaker 2: Let's go. This is not a bit. It happened to me today. Not all of us use our podcast to try out material. Some of us are having actual conversations with the listeners.
Speaker 1: A wheelchair, a guy in a wheelchair, man in a wheelchair. Not yeah, we've heard it all. Well hanging okay, show up hands. How many people think I'm lying? We we we So we have somebody who's selling a mixtape see sis an album.
Speaker 3: Wait, this is also in a story.
Speaker 2: Andrew stop and shop across from the Barclay Center today at noon. Okay, the nigga in the wheelchair, I was like, okay, if I make I didn't even want to make eye contact with him, and I was like, do you need help?
Speaker 1: And he was like no, And I was like, you don't need me to help you get out my way or nothing. Marie, you're being ablest. I'm not saying this. I'm just saying when the listeners will write in the reviews, we're able lists, we're fat phoebic, but white phoebic.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm just if it makes the listeners feel any better. Everybody that I was talking to was black. So what that makes me?
Speaker 1: Now, what that makes me? Now problematic? That's what it makes you, sis whatever. So when you didn't give him any money, I didn't, all right.
Speaker 4: So that's it.
Speaker 1: That's what happened today.
Speaker 2: And then I left the supermarket so fast I forgot half of the stuff that I went in there.
Speaker 1: To pick up. Now I gotta go back to the store tomorrow to get eggs. Well, Marie, I cannot relate because I went to the boat the other day and a woman asked me could I help her get a Kandish? And I thought she wanted me to pick the kindish up for her, or like order it for her, because she I guess she couldn't speak, but she wanted me to buy it. And uh, you know, a black woman asking for a Kannish very cultural thing. That it's for the Jews, it's for the juice. It's for the juice. Are you for the juice? Okay? You called me, you said, I'm running bits, but you run bit run? What meeting are you? Wait? Isn't a Kandish? Isn't that like a Jewish a Jewish dish? It's it's the way you said. It's the way you said for the Jews. Well, I'm getting older, Marie. This is just how it comes out of your mouth once you hit forty. No, a kanish, it's like a potato type like, no, it's not, it's not that. It's like a you know here, let me have kanishes at the bar, at the at the bodega bayou. Yes, yes, okay. Why is it astounding because nobody here knows what that is. Well, people are just not cultured, but okay. A kandish A kandish is a traditional Jewish snack food, consisting of a filling covered with dough that is typically baked and sometimes deep fried. Condishes are usually purchased from street vendors in urban areas with a large Jewish population. I haven't seen a Jew in this neighborhood since I got in this bitch, but anyway, she asked for it, and I was like, well maybe maybe, I mean maybe her, maybe her homeless boyfriend is Jewish. I don't know, but her homeless. But I got it, but I got it for her. It was it was actually a dollar fifty and I said I had it, well, actually I had ten dollars out and That's why I was like, I was about to say, I don't think I have enough, but I got it anyway, Sydney, hold on hello, Yo, Sidney just picked up a yeah phone call. I gotta go. Okay, my deliveries outside one second, Marie, can you can you talk to Andrew for one second? I'm sorry, No, I'm on break. If Sidney's on break, I'm on break, I too, am on break. I'm not. I'm not on break. I'm I told you that I was getting food. You could have thrown.
Speaker 2: You could have introed the guest, and we could have had a whole conversation without you.
Speaker 3: Is what.
Speaker 1: I don't want to have the conversation without their guests. I want to intro the guests.
Speaker 2: As soon as you get up, I'm gonna intro him. Bye, go go get your phone. Bye ah, and we're back.
Speaker 1: Listen. Nobody knows what a kanishi is, Andrew, did you google it? What the what the google images? A hot pocket with stuffing it?
Speaker 3: They look like a little like dumplings almost all right, like ready dumplings?
Speaker 2: Okay, well they sound nasty. Well let's bring the guests in just to get on Sidney's nerves. Uh, he's been on the podcast before. You love him, you know him.
Speaker 1: He's our esteemed light skin guests for Black History Month.
Speaker 2: Today, give it up for our hate expert or hating expert, Langston Kermit.
Speaker 4: Hey, what a what a Welcome to the most racist, problematic podcast available on the internet.
Speaker 1: Your podcast is more problematic than our podcast.
Speaker 4: I don't know, y'all, niggas are shining right now. You're not really acting up on this podcast. You went on a whole rant about how a wheelchair man didn't deserve money, and then.
Speaker 2: I say, the wheelchairman didn't deserve money, but I needed him to get out my way.
Speaker 1: He was in the middle of the isld.
Speaker 4: That's not how I heard it. I heard you you say you wanted to scoot him out of your way so that you could close your fird coat like Cruella Divis. That's the way I heard all.
Speaker 1: It was a green trench.
Speaker 2: Second, if you're in the store and people are asking you for money or just out, because there's a lot of homeless people in La I'm not saying anybody at the supermarket was homeless today because they all looked.
Speaker 1: Very with homes.
Speaker 2: So when people approach you for money or ask you to buy them stuff.
Speaker 1: How do you usually react?
Speaker 4: See, here's the difference between LA and New York. And I forgot this very valuable tidbit now that I've been in LA as long as I have, is we keep ours outside, you know what I mean, Like, we're very unkind to our un housed friends, and it should be looked at and solved. But frankly, the one thing they do effectively is make sure the motherfuckers aren't allowed in businesses and certainly not allowed to beg for money when they come into business.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: When I lived in LA, I would see homeless people at the open mics, like on the buses at night time and at open mics doing stand up.
Speaker 4: So it was like, yeah, well that's not our business. They respect. They're not going to protect our best open micers in the world. They only care about the.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know what happened to him, And he said he was outside. He's not outside, he's not picking up the phone call whatever.
Speaker 4: Girl, ain't nobody worried about your food? What we're talking about, we're talking.
Speaker 1: About the homeless community right now. Okay, okay, all right, She coming in.
Speaker 4: Talking about food and her Postmates delivery. What you order, tell us what you order?
Speaker 1: I ordered salmon Karioki with a what's the wrong with that? What does that mean? It's salmon? Yeah, I was.
Speaker 4: Gonna put I was gonna put that tone on whatever you said. It made no difference. You could have said the most reasonable meal, and I was gonna be like, this is a little dumb ass.
Speaker 1: Okay, shut out? And then is your sides or something? Yeah, there's it's a it's a bento box. Okay, here he is? Here is you see this? You see how she jump in and I'm not on the mic and everything.
Speaker 4: Right, she don't even care no timing to this. She just is answering the way she would regularly answer.
Speaker 1: Now she's upset, and you know what happened. She probably been the wrong addressing m.
Speaker 4: HM of her own home, of her own home. She's not even threw a microphone like Frankie.
Speaker 1: Sorry. He was running like I had ordered it a while ago, and they were running behind, and now he's even more behind, and it's like, what the fuck? Okay, I'm sorry, I apologize, Linkston. I know that you're very busy I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: I am devastated by this unprofessional behavior.
Speaker 1: Langston. What would you be doing if you weren't on the podcast right now?
Speaker 4: My wife wanted to go to bed bathroom beyond and I got out of it because of this.
Speaker 1: So what you should be doing is thinking us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, no, listen. I appreciate what you've done, but I also expect that this is going to run long because Sydney wanted Sam and Terioki in the middle of which means that it then is going to obstruct my evening in a different kind of way because.
Speaker 2: Because you know no thing, you know she's gonna be eating it on the pod.
Speaker 1: No, I don't, Marie. When's the last time she's gonna duck down and be like, when's the last time I haven't done that, Murrie? Last Wednesday? I don't know, Marie, where's the like we're the sisterhood in this bitch like Sidney, We're literally watching you ordering getting up to go get it, and you're like, where's the sister who? I'm telling you what you're doing.
Speaker 4: This is exciting. I've never seen a friendship terror party in front of my own eyes, but this is you.
Speaker 1: Just have my back she'll just like throw me under the bus, Sydney. The bus is the Postmates delivery man, Wing Sam and Teriyaki. First of all, I had set it up top I say, hey, guys, I had ordered way before this podcast was starting. They're behind the behind. This is not my mom when you say way before? Did you an hour ago? Friend? An hour ago? At eight twenty two? Yeah, all right, guys whatever, She's.
Speaker 4: Never gonna forgive us because it's terrifying.
Speaker 2: I just I'm like, come on now, she's just hungry because she hasn't eaten anything yet today this seminaryokey is about to be her first meal.
Speaker 1: That's what it is. Yes, absolutely, that's exactly what it is. That that ain't got nothing to do with us, baby girl. I'm sorry. Good to know, Marie. Good to know. Thank you, appreciate you much. Sis.
Speaker 2: I feel like when people, when the reviews come in for this episode, they're not gonna say Marie did anything wrong, Sidney.
Speaker 4: They're gonna say, man, leanson, sure sounded uncomfortable. The reviews are in, and that nigga was nervous. It went from being kind of silly to.
Speaker 1: Not silly no more, but didn't tell us when it got not silly no more.
Speaker 4: Oh you were giggling, and then salmon Aryoki got two minutes later and oh boy, oh boy, change the energy real fast.
Speaker 1: It's fine. Do what do you guys want? Whatever you want with the with the pod, it's it's above me now, it's above me, not me.
Speaker 4: I'm still here. I'm stuck in it, right on, right on ground zero of the eruption of this podcast.
Speaker 1: Here, I am Sydney. You order food during the hobby Hunters.
Speaker 4: Stop at I'm asking that.
Speaker 1: That's a real question.
Speaker 4: Uh oh, now we're bringing up other shit. Yeah, Marie didn't have to happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm like, what are you talking about? Since I ordered it an hour ago. You'll be in your house and you'll come like twelve minutes say you're like, oh, you know, I started doing my hair before the pod.
Speaker 2: Like it's it's okay, Sydney, I'll do that at the beginning of the episode, and then we'll start we'll do the podcast and I'm not interrupting and like getting like, we're.
Speaker 1: Still talking about your fish. That's not even there yet. It's not my fault. I ordered it in an hour before the podcast. It was supposed to get here before they're late. This is not my fault.
Speaker 4: Where'd you order it from?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 4: At least A lovely is a restaurant?
Speaker 1: I order from it all the time, and it's always on time. It always thirty minutes. I can't pronounce the name of That's why you're feeling, because you can't pronounce the name. They were like, she she's playing with us. We're gonna play with too, Oh my god. Yeah, it's great. Okay, Well, I don't know. I don't know what to do. It's it's still not here. He told me two minutes. It's been two minutes. They there are right. It's very behind.
Speaker 4: And it's either been two minutes or the longest thirty seconds of my life.
Speaker 2: And I don't know, it's been longer than two minutes. And now we nineteen minutes in and when Sydney came back, it was thirteen, so it's been right a right, So Langston, I'm sorry for wasting your time today.
Speaker 4: No, I'm chilling. I listen. Here's what I would love, ladies. Let's let's get Sydney her food, let's recalibrate, let's be friends again, and then let's talk about hating shit. That's that's the kind of evening I would love for us all to have.
Speaker 2: Thank you for mediating this, lady, I mean, hold on, let me be realistic here. If the food get there in twenty minutes, we're gonna start the podcast again in twenty minutes.
Speaker 1: No, I'm gonna have him leave the food at the door. How about that. I'll leave the food at the door. I won't go and get it. How about that. I'll do that. I'll do that for the pod because I apologize for this happening. I'm so sorry. This is so unprofessional. I really apologize. I'm so sorry.
Speaker 4: I don't know, kind a weird way, a weird.
Speaker 1: Podcast, and it didn't sound You're sorry, didn't feel sinceious.
Speaker 4: Man to stop, I'm antagonistic.
Speaker 1: You are, which is it? No? No, no, it's totally fine. Like sin, We appreciate you for spending your time dealing with this unprofessional podcast that's from the ghetto. And it's from the ghetto because of me. Oh, the podcast is from the ghetto. Yeah, because it's it's from me for me, I'm making it. Because we're now almost thirty minutes in and we have not started, but we have that ce. Okay, okay, So so what is the plan that friend, Cause we can still have a conversation, but you're saying that we can't. We can have a conversation. I feel like as.
Speaker 3: Soon as you have a conversation and the Seminaryoky is gonna.
Speaker 1: Show, I'm not gonna go get it. I just said that I'm not gonna go. I'm gonna have him leave it at the door. I'm gonna let it be cold so that I can do this podcast.
Speaker 4: Is he gonna be able to get into your Apartment's to be.
Speaker 1: Able to get in an apartment.
Speaker 4: Though, it's just gonna sit outside.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm gonna do, Sydney. You're that seems unreasonable and the whole, the whole thing is being unreasonable because all right, blame for something that I had no control over. Well, you could have called you should you could have ate earlier this nighttime, so you had control over that. I'm not doing this with you, Marie. You always start things literally a minute before the podcast. You're like, oh, well, you know, I had to go to the bathroom, and then you're here and we're like, well, why didn't you just go to the bathroom? Hold on, Sidney, don't do that. Please, don't do that. Me going to the bathroom is not a twenty two minute conversation on our podcast. Don't do that.
Speaker 4: Hey, y'all be some own trending again, and it's not good news, Lanxton.
Speaker 1: What is she trending for? Let's let's let's let's switch gears a little bit, because.
Speaker 4: She went on a long rant saying that women sit around talking about all the different qualities that they expect of a man, a certain height requirement, a certain money requirement, a certain education, a certain connection to their family and friends, and you all don't This is her words, not mine, but you all don't have that for yourselves, that you haven't spoken to your own mothers in six months, that you expect me to be deeply connected to my family.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think that's true with people of both sexes. People have sure like there are lots of people who are like unqualified for the person that they think they should be with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but not all women and not all men.
Speaker 4: No, I agree with that. But it's only funny if be some owns getting made fun of for dumb shit that she's did without any of that perspective.
Speaker 1: So you know, it's be someone with somebody right now.
Speaker 4: I would I would say with with the hand of God, b Simone is isn't a relationship with the hand of God? And unfortunately it seems to be God's backhand at the moment, but he got that hand on her.
Speaker 2: Somebody said, was b Simone not begging a man under five to nine to like her? And was bigging up Danny Lee and basically saying she damn near one because she's Latina. She has the self esteem of a broom but wants to push down, not going for that.
Speaker 1: We love Twitter, Oh my god, it just it will never stops. It's undefeated.
Speaker 4: My favorite part of the video is she's she's not wearing a bra in the video while she's like slapping a table and ranting and her jingles are jangling and whatnot, and you can see her getting more and more self conscious of it as she gets more and more confident in her backwards ass frant about about being the better version of yourself in order to find the man you deserve. Sydney, I pray to God, you're about to go get this salmon.
Speaker 1: It's not I don't I do. I personally just don't they got a twenty percent tip. I don't know what I want to take it back. I don't know what this is about. This is like over, this is an hour and a half. The food has to be cold on God. So this is truly not my fault.
Speaker 4: But what them temperature is like in New York right now?
Speaker 1: Like thirty Alexa, what's the temperature?
Speaker 4: It's like, oh, you ask Alexa, you got money.
Speaker 1: Thirty two degrees? I didn't. I should have asked my Google. Hey Google, shut up, Alexa. She said, enjoy your Monday. Okay.
Speaker 2: I don't understand why women feel like they need to make these proclamations about other women and post them to their followers, but not not all women are like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I always I maintain this feeling that I think that it's often the choice of trying to impress some dudes, Like it's a very specific type of dude that's gonna look at that and be like, yeah, this bitch gets And it's like, I guess that's who they're aiming for, because it's definitely not other women who are going to be like, yeah, you nailed it, Sis.
Speaker 1: It's like, no, I think it's more about It's easier to talk about other people than to talk about yourself. It's easier to say, well, you've done this that that that's wrong, but to look inward and be like, this is actually my story. It's so hard to present that. It's like, why are you talking about everybody else's business except your own?
Speaker 2: That's weird, right, Like why is it be someone talking about women who sell books that they plageiarize and then say, yeah, that is a manifestation book, Like why is she not talking about women that do that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, what that beat stand for?
Speaker 5: Focused on that, find out what the bee stands for, and then we can for you can get into all the rocks and wrongs.
Speaker 4: I probaby got it is because I still got that tension in my chest.
Speaker 1: I don't, but this is you are you pe okay? Whatever? Lang sty? What did you eat today? How about that? Listen? What food did you eat today?
Speaker 4: So far? I've had I don't only have one meal as well, but it's it's much earlier here. I had a tender greens plate.
Speaker 2: Oh, I enjoyed like tender greens. But that's only an l a thing.
Speaker 4: Oh, they don't have tender greens in New York.
Speaker 1: What did you get protein? Protein?
Speaker 4: I got myself a tune in the swas right. I believe it's French.
Speaker 1: I believe so so or a whole.
Speaker 4: Bunch of ship. How are we doing on that? On that? Samaria?
Speaker 1: It's good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's start the podcast. We're starting it hot.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's gonna be worth it. It's gonna be so fun.
Speaker 4: I can't wait. I'm so excited.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, yeah, no, whoever starts? Okay, Well, we we left off with Marie talking about her like a shop right homeless expedition, and we ended on b simone, So I think we can just uh intro Langston and move on from there. Mm hmm.
Speaker 4: All right, y'all got to be nice to each other first.
Speaker 1: Everybody's got to play that. Marie doesn't. She doesn't want to move on. She's got like the attitude face. And it's like you have Marie attitude on entire episode. You guys are attacking me for yeah, like a white woman right now, attacking you. That's the language that people who are not being attacked. Yous attacking. You're giving me a hard time about the delivery. I didn't even say anything else. You did Marie, we're gonna run the tapes back. You did I said, I didn't say anything else.
Speaker 2: You said we want to restart, So go ahead and control instances, Aris, But.
Speaker 4: We're gonna cut through it and we're gonna have a great time.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna get more wine. I'm gonna bring a bottle in here because in the City introduced the guest. No, Marie, I'm not doing this like either we're gonna do it right or we could cut the we could cut it tonight because I'm not I'm not doing this. I was an accident. I'm sorry, and I just I want to have a good posity.
Speaker 2: We have been having a good podcast. I feel like you're missing it. That's what we I'm fine, Andrew's fine.
Speaker 3: We're gonna listen back to this and laugh and only Gray.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, okay, Leangston, any input here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's a chill in the air, a cold chill running up my spine. It feels like sleepy hollow in my home. But fighting through it.
Speaker 1: All right, let's let's move forward. Were hat We have a good old guess that we haven't had in over many many years. But when he came here, he was a light skinned expert. And now he's come to one up that expert. I mean he's been on many many shows after that, very one of our most famous friends give it up for Langston Kerman and he's our hated It's like deja vu high Langston.
Speaker 4: Hey, everybody, it's good to see y'all with no other context.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 4: What a dream to see you both with no other information ahead of this moment. Oh, what a treat.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 1: Wow, Yes, and Andrew you as well.
Speaker 4: I didn't mean to leave you out. What a pleasure.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, it's great to meet you.
Speaker 1: Obsession Langston, you seem like such a lovable, likable person. So hating expert.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I I I this is all a ruse. This is a long con that I've I've learned to build over the years to uh to get all my hate out. I realize that it's easier to just smile and wave than it is to scowl and let people know how you really feel, especially if you don't want to square up, which I do not more often.
Speaker 1: Right, fighting is no fighting.
Speaker 4: It's not my thing. I'll roach you. I'll write something backhanded on a piece of paper and hand it to you as I run away, but I don't want to fight nobody that ain't my Shiit.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I was gonna say, have you ever been in a fight?
Speaker 4: I have been in fights before. I would say I'm at a I'm at a like a two and two record, you know what I mean. This kid Ari, who was a friend of mine growing up, smacked the ship out of me one time when we were fighting over basketball and who I didn't win that one, but then I got another fights in school where like I did all right, nobody was walking away like, hey, don't fuck with Langston no more. That nigga's crazy. But I did pretty good.
Speaker 1: So you're so you're like, I'm I'm being easy going for the system, but really and internally you're like you hate everything. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's very few things, particularly related to the things that I care about that I enjoy.
Speaker 1: Well, that sounds very New York of you. That sounds like through and through a New Yorker.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I'm not from New York and I ain't got no reason to behave we're kind people. Yeah, nope. Well, Chicago's an exception. I think I've maintained this for a lot of years that Chicago is a city built on hate, and like, that's how we propel each other forward, is by being haters through and through.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we have a bunch of different types of people who listen to people from all over the world. Were very famous international. So what is a hater like? If you don't like something, are you a hater or is it more than that?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 4: I think that's a good question. I think that hating is not liking something that you could have just let live.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, the Oxford definition.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I imagine. I imagine people with a more whole heart, you know what I mean, if the whole, if all the pieces in your heart are fully formed. You see something you don't like and you process it and you know, I don't care for that too much, and you move on with your day. You have a nice a nice sam and teryoki if you will, you enjoy a nice meal, you.
Speaker 3: Know what I mean.
Speaker 4: But a hater, yeah, now, a hater, you're gonna let that simmer. You're not gonna be able to enjoy your meal because you got that you got that extra sitting in.
Speaker 2: Your chest right, You're gonna write a dissertation about it online and be like, well, I never.
Speaker 1: Liked anything that this person did anyway.
Speaker 4: And that's that's where I take issue. I don't go online with my shit. I keep it private. It's it's not meant for the public. But I do tell quite a few people in group chats and smaller circles, smaller networks of people about how I feel.
Speaker 1: And that's perfect because now you're on this pod and we can really get into this hateration holeration. Now I look at a hater. I look at a hater and something is good and they are a hater, and they're just gonna they're gonna shoot on it regardless of how Oh that's how I look at So.
Speaker 4: You think, okay, so to be a hater, something has to to objectively be quality, and then somebody has to be coming in and just trying to scuff it up for no good reason.
Speaker 1: Yes, scuff is a good word, thank you.
Speaker 4: I uh, I freestyled that one. I'd say that that. The difference for me is that I don't actually think that that many things exist that are objectively good. Okay, Okay, I think I think there's a lot of ship that people will tell you are good is good, or tell you or want you to believe is good. But if you really look at the ship, it's fine. It's all right.
Speaker 2: It is a lot of fine that people elevate to amazing or excellent. Soon, just give us all things that you hate that you think most people like.
Speaker 4: Oh and I don't know how well. I don't know how to do this because now you got that weird uh, that weird motion going you.
Speaker 2: Well, no, because you got I but because I agree with the definition that you and Sydney both gave kind of But I also but I also don't like a lot of things that people like. And sometimes I don't like things that people like specifically because so many people like it. Like for me, sometimes the more people enjoy one particular thing, the more I want to just like not be a part of that at all.
Speaker 4: Oh see, I don't I don't know that I have that. I don't think I get oppositional that. I think that's oppositional. I think I would define that differently. Like that to me is like, y'all motherfuckers ain't gonna tell me how I'm supposed to feel. And I think I hope that my hating, while unhealthy and probably gonna kill me by fifty five is not rooted in just like a want to to uh, just move against the grain if you will.
Speaker 6: Okay, But but this, this is this is where I'm like, Okay, hating you could if something you think is bad.
Speaker 1: I think it's okay to think that it's bad. But I think that if you're going out of your way to trash it publicly, I think that's like real hater behavior that it was. It's unnecessary. You just not like it and not watch it.
Speaker 4: Well, here's what I'd ask you when and this is a very R Kelly quote of it, when we say public, how public are we talking? You know, you say are you talking? How are we talking?
Speaker 1: That's an R. Kelly quote.
Speaker 4: You never heard that he was talking to uh, what's his name? Uh? I can't remember his name from BT He had the afro real skinny guy, Terrey. He was talking to Terray in the interview right after the trial after he had been acquitted. And Terray's first question to R. Kelly is Robert, do you like teenage girls? And then he thinks for a second, he thinks real hard on him. He says, all right, when you say teenage, how old are we talking about?
Speaker 1: Literally thirteen to eighteen, I say thirteen to nineteen.
Speaker 4: I'd say nineteen is included as well.
Speaker 1: Anything with the word teen in it. Robert Well, to answer your question, I think like some journalists they go out of their way, or people who are critics they go out of Like critics, I think you should be focused on the stuff that you like, and you not writing about the things that you don't like. Is speaking volumes that oh it must maybe it's not good because you're not giving it that energy. Who go on and on and on on the internet to be like, Yeah, that specially wasn't good, that comedian is not good, this was that movie is trash, and they more so talk about how bad things are than the good things. I think they're using their platform and in a bad way. They could do better. It's just focused on something.
Speaker 2: Like a critic's job is to be critical of the thing that they're reviewing, and they're haters a lot of I think a lot of critics want to be in the position that they're critiquing. They're like, oh, I wish I could make that movie, or I wish I could be an actor, But they're not.
Speaker 1: If you look at a lot of the critics especially in comedy. They wanted to be comedians and failed, and now they're critiquing comedy. Who the fuck are you? You didn't it didn't even work out for you, So now you're in a position to be like, yeah, that special homophobic blah blah blah, and it's just like, dude, talk about the stuff that you like. I was that.
Speaker 4: I don't. I take a lot of issue with critics. While I do love hate and I live by it. I thrive in it. I was born here, wallow, I wallow in it. I do take a lot of issue for the exact reasons that you're saying, Sidney, But then I think about, like, who would I want to critique the actual shit, Like if I wanted like an honest perspective on what it is? And I don't think comics could do that either. I don't think our peers could genuinely give us a real response of like what the shit is?
Speaker 1: No either, Nope, because a lot of people that in that part of it.
Speaker 2: I agree with Sidney and that if when you listen to comics review other stand up specials, there are a lot of people who you will use that time to hate because they didn't get that opportunity because they didn't get to shoot that and blah blah, blah blah. I think there's more hate there. But I also think people thought a word hater around. I mean ever since Maino did that song in two thousand whatever everybody, and it's like, no, I just don't like this. I don't think everything is hating. Sometimes something is not good.
Speaker 4: I do think I will say that that. I think the advancement of that is when you you start to try to sway other people's opinions on that issue, right that be it's small or large, at the point that you're like now taking this to a larger group and being like, hey, this is stupid, right you're you you're adding some hate to the mix. I won't call you a hater, but you're your hate ish. You're you're a Kenya Bears pilot hate. I mean to the Disney Channel with Disney plus hate ish is what he's working on.
Speaker 2: Okay, wait, so lengthon, You're not gonna tell us some some things that you don't like, Well, no.
Speaker 4: Because then we're going to fall into the the the dangerous space that I've set up for my I've created quite a net I don't want to lose my men.
Speaker 2: But it could be lightning. It could be lightning round and we'll just be like, oh I like that.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I don't like that. Oh yeah, okay, I think that's a good one.
Speaker 4: All right, y'all started off. Y'all say what you like, and then I'll tell you why it's stupid.
Speaker 1: I love that, Okay, I like the I like the animation soul.
Speaker 4: I thought I was nice. I love a good story about mortality, and uh I did. I will say that all the critiques of it being a black film were dumb as fuck, and I hated the response. Okay, we're talking about hate. I hate so many of the takes that have now become very common in terms of black media, where we see a black person and then it has to now be representation of all blackness. Saul was not a black film. It was a film about mortality starring Jamie Fox drawn as a Roy Wood Junior type character. Yeah, and that not the same thing, do you know what I mean? Like, that's not a black film. It wasn't built for black people. The fact that we can identify ourselves in it just means a type of progress that we should be celebrating, whereas I think Princess and the Frog is much more of an actual like slight against black people. If you want to unpack that in some kind of way.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, because she was a frog for ninety percent of the movie, and then the rest of the movie she was a maid's daughter. She was a.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it. It's a reflection of their inability to imagine us as anything other than some real shit like it being based in New Orleans, like y'all didn't make up a bunch of whimsical ass countries for every other princess. That's a conversation to be had. But that nigga sold he was. That's just playing at the piano and being his best self. I got no complaints.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, Andrews. It's something that you like or.
Speaker 3: Hate or are we hating on Justin Timberlake.
Speaker 4: Well, I've never liked him, so yeah, Justin Timberlake is a dumb bitch. I think he. I think he madipuld listen. I was a big fan for years. I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the music twenty twenty experience. I saw it. I enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: Oh you went to the show so good.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, I just I just meant with it.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, you really gave him your dollars? Got it?
Speaker 4: But nah, yeah, he's a bad guy. That that apology was an embarrassment, just some like slightly apologizing for really mean things that he did to a number of people over the years without any accountability. Is you don't get to just be like I might have heard some folks and my bad on that one.
Speaker 2: He said, I'll get you guys next time. I'm not gonna like move walking off beat when he was late.
Speaker 4: And like, hey, Janet, I'm gonna get you a new bro. I'm gonna take care of you, baby girl.
Speaker 3: Up.
Speaker 1: He's such a mess.
Speaker 2: We don't like him. Okay, something random that I like or don't like?
Speaker 1: Is that? What is that? What we're doing?
Speaker 4: I don't I forgot, I don't know this y'all show.
Speaker 2: Well, I was asking you to listen some things and we was going just lightning round it.
Speaker 1: That's what I asked.
Speaker 4: I'm scared. I'm scared to tell you about the things that actually upset me because it's too close in proximity and too dangerous for for anybody's brand. You guys have a brand to protect too.
Speaker 1: No, we don't. I don't think you really understand the pot I mean, we've been doing it for four years. We have said the messiest, some of the outlandish, problematic things on here, and we're I mean, we're still working, We're still I don't think it's that problematic.
Speaker 2: The things that we've said, We've were just honest and we stand in our our truths.
Speaker 1: That's it. That's all. I've never I mean, I've made I've made fun of people on here that I'm like, oh, they could definitely listen to this and be like, but I'm not making We're not making blanket terrible statements about I mean, sometimes we know besh community, but that's you know, that's yes, that's fine.
Speaker 4: I always forget that y'all called beige white people beige. Growing up, I was referred to as beige. And it never not doesn't hurt my feelings. When I hear y'all say it doesn't hurt feelings, or it does, it does hurt my feelings every single time. It reminds me of a story when I was growing up. My my mother's second husband. Uh listen, she's at four, Uh second.
Speaker 1: Yes, we do. Mom push your mom's name Wanda, Wanda, Yes.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, I think this one's gonna stick. He's a good man. They live in Ghana now. Anyway, My mom, her second husband, their family lived in Cabrini Green, which is a very famous project building or series of buildings, the collection of buildings if you will, in Chicago. They no longer exist, but we went to visit them one time for Easter and we were in the building and I had never met his family before. This was my first time meeting the family. And I walked in the building and we're sitting in their apartment. And then the children, the other children of this home, there's like four of them, called to the other neighbors in the building. They like, go have a meeting out in the hallway of this project building. And then they bring the neighbors to the door and they go, hey, y'all, look at our white cousin. Look at them, look at our white cousin. They make me stand in the doorway so that they could show their friends, their peers that they have a white cousin. And then I told their daddy and they got the ass will. So you know, I'm a big snitch too. We can do that if y'all more focused on snitching, I do.
Speaker 2: That too, well, Lexton, did you used to be like a really pale child?
Speaker 4: Because no, these were just children who didn't see white people that often. And I was the closest thing that they knew as a reference.
Speaker 1: You. You're the You're the Tannis of the light Skins that I know. You got some color color on your face?
Speaker 3: Yeah, mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well your is your is your dad? Wait is who's who's my father?
Speaker 4: Is white?
Speaker 1: On your side? Your father's white?
Speaker 4: The part is the white one.
Speaker 1: We did. We did talk about that many years ago on the Light Skinned Expert. Y'all go back to that. It was great. Okay, So you don't you don't want to talk about what you actually hate. And I understand that because you know you're you're on the boys. You're right for many shows, I.
Speaker 4: Mean, you have I can get into general themes. Let's get into some themes. I think that's a good place to land us. Maybe that'll that'll help open this flower up a little bit. Her.
Speaker 1: You are the cousin.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Sometimes I'm sometimes I'm a little Australian who knows why I talk the way I talk.
Speaker 1: Mate. Okay, mate, if you here's something, If you.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm just I was just gonna say, if you're gonna be the hating expert, I need you to hate something.
Speaker 1: I need to hear something.
Speaker 4: Okay, let's get into it. Here's something that's been ruffling my feathers as a late Uh yeah, this is grinding and ship out of my gears. I take a lot of issue with the the manipulative behavior of the Internet. There's been quite a lot of things that I've been tracking as of late. Claudia Conway. Let's get into that. There's a lot of manipulation happening around this girl who who is basically just a a misbehaving child. If you ask me, as a sixteen year old behaving the way that many sixteen year olds do. I'm not calling that good or bad, or deciding that she's safe or unsafe. I truly don't know. But what I do know is all you sick fucks at home who are sitting there and retweeting her and telling her how brave she is or fucking crazy you're thirty. There's no sixteen year old in the world that I would ever like, big up and be like, you're so brave, you're a champion, you should be supported. Shut the fuck up and figure it out like the rest of the sixteen year old?
Speaker 1: How old is the little girl that's traveling in the world and not going to school on a boat? How is that girl who's that, Greta Breda. How old is she?
Speaker 4: I believe she's also sixteen years old.
Speaker 1: She got to be like nine or ten or something like that. No, I think she's older than that school since two thousand and two? How old is she?
Speaker 3: Greta is eighteen?
Speaker 4: Eighteen?
Speaker 1: Okay, I know, given, Okay, Wow, she looks good. Okay, Well she's been she's been through a lot, so she was younger than eighteen. Good for her.
Speaker 4: Well, she's got a green skincare program, is what she does. She's all green, no pesticides or preservatives.
Speaker 1: That ozone layer serum that she using. I love this, I mean, but now she's on But now the Conway Chick is America.
Speaker 4: And I think that's hugely unhealthy. And shame on Katy Perry, Shame on Lionel Richie, and shame on that other one whose name I don't know, for involving themselves in the life of a child who is not particularly talented by all accounts. It wasn't like she nailed the audition. You guys are just advancing this so that you can advance a problematic story and create a Britney Spears. This is how you fucking create the ship because we obsess over a human being instead of being honest about a sickness that's happening.
Speaker 1: I feel so, you know, I was gonna say, I feel like, when's the last thing we talked about American Idol.
Speaker 2: American Idol needs this more than they need anything else. It's not about Claudia. It's it's not about Kelly Ann. It's let's do this thing. It's gonna propel us as a trending topic. It's gonna be something that people are gonna be talking about on news and blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: And that's what it is.
Speaker 2: Because I watched a little piece of the audition and I was like, oh, I have to cut this off.
Speaker 1: I don't know what key she's singing on. This is all she don't know. She just being sundin And that's okay.
Speaker 4: I think that that's the beauty of sixteen. As a former educator, I watched sixteen year old kids walk up to me and be like, mister Carman, this is my dream. I want to do this. And I had to listen to their bullshit and I had to go, I don't know, man, try your best, but I don't. I don't retweet it and tell everybody how brave they are and like complain about their home situation. I help them navigate as an honest person, caring about them.
Speaker 1: But this is also TV, right, Like, I don't look at American Idol as a real talent show. Yes, it has propelled people who are talented, but I don't Most of the things on TV is not based off talent. There's all these like ulterior motives and things that they want to uplift or take down. And that's what it's all about. It's all about the storylines. That's why reality TV is the way it is. It's some producer being like all right, no, no, now, okay, so we're gonna get them in this room and we're gonna make this this argument happen. It's all for viewership. They need people to tune in, and nobody wants to tune in and see people just having a regular time they do.
Speaker 4: I think that's absolutely fair and I can't argue with that at all. But I do think that for every person who goes on the internet and advocates for the safety of this individual whilst I'm multaneously propelling them through the drama, you are a hypocrite. You are part of the problem that you are complaining has been created, much in the way of the Britney Spears fans who are now like constantly advocating for her to be released from her father's grasp. Meanwhile, the reason that she is in her father's grasp is because you obsessed over her so often and so long that the tabloids felt like they had to service your obsessions. But in Creient it was complain about the signals.
Speaker 2: But the thing about Britney Spears is it wasn't just her fans that were obsessed with her. People were like hate watching and hate reading the Britney Spears stuff as well, And I think that really is what propelled it, because people that didn't even care about Briney Spears were.
Speaker 1: Like, Shad, look look at how with his umbrella hitting his guard Like the fans weren't saying that they were like, oh, I think she looks good balved Or they were like, oh, I hope she's okay.
Speaker 2: But it's the other it's the other side of it. Also that it we have to think about is the head I'm.
Speaker 4: Watching, I think, But I would argue and that this actually gets me into a slightly different subject but similar in theme is I think that there are quite a few people who know and knowingly invest themselves in their own sort of like opposition, in their own fight, right that like the fans, while they weren't rooting for her to lose, did want Britney News at all times, so they weren't fighting the idea that Brittany was becoming more and more sick. They still wanted Brittany to be in front of them all the time. So yes, I agree, it wasn't like they were going on and being like, look at this dumb bitch with a bald head and the umbrella. But they meanwhile do want a reason to argue on the internet. So when people when Britney acts up, that gives them something to now push against when they go leave Brittany alone. It's not just defending Brittany. Also is propelling them.
Speaker 1: For no, but the Internet was completely different when those tabloids was coming out. It had nothing to do with the Internet. It was more like society loves making a star. They love to see the journey. They want to lift, lift, flift, lift people up, and then when you get to the point of like, oh this is annoying now, they want to see you fall. They love to see when a celebrity is being messy and going to rehab. They did it to Lindsay Lohan. They do it to even Whitney Houston. They they love to see, oh yeah, she's doing crack. Now, Like we're getting mad at these journalists, right, we're mad at both Barbara Walters. But Barbara Walters was doing no, it was Diane Sawyer. Don't don't do Barbara like Diane Sawyer.
Speaker 4: Sorry, Barbara, sorry so nicely. Yeah, yeah, yeah, weird dips a little different, but yeah, Barbara.
Speaker 1: Wall yeah, Diane Sawyer. But at the time, this this is what we tune in for, you know, twenty twenty, this is these are the reasons why we want to see. We want see the behind the music, the e hot e true Hollywood stories. They're asking the messy questions that will get the little blurb that you need to hear that people will be like, oh, okay, I'm gonna read about this. I want to know more.
Speaker 4: And I would say that that, to me is part of the sickness. I feel the same way about like the way that people manipulate the black experience now back like it's a bunch of people who, if you took away black suffering, wouldn't have anything to tweet about, wouldn't have anything to sort of build their identity on. And I, for one, I enjoy being black for a multitude of reasons that ain't got shit to do with slavery and anything else that was problematic in our history. And while I'm not advocating in any way, I don't want your listeners to turn on me. I'm not advocating in any way that we ignore that history, that we pretend that shit didn't exist. But get the fuck out of here, that every day you got to bring up some sad news, shut the fuck.
Speaker 1: Up between see Langston. That's how I feel about a lot of the black.
Speaker 2: Films and a lot of the content that like celebrating black voices, and it's always somebody getting beat up or whipped or linged.
Speaker 1: I can't watch that my soul. Okay, call back, can't that. I can't. I don't every.
Speaker 2: Time I see like something happens crazy with like the police or a black person, I don't watch those videos because I don't need to go to sleep seeing those things.
Speaker 1: I don't watch. I'm not. I've never seen He's a slave. I'm done watching slave movies. I don't. I haven't had help. I don't need to see these things because I, first of all, I've read the books.
Speaker 2: I know what happened. My mind already knows. But my my soul and my brain and my conscious, I don't need to see the visuals to support black things or to like be a real black person. But I just I wish that they were still making movies that are as like black people being as stupid as white people are allowed to.
Speaker 1: Be in their movie? Can can can we Black? Can we do a black dude wears my car? Can we do it?
Speaker 4: I want to see a movie where a black man focks a pie and none of us make it about race. It's purely just a man who is horny for pie, and it's it's called Negro American pie. You can call it something.
Speaker 1: It's called peach cobbler. That's what it's called. Yeah, it could, it could, it could be a BlackBerry pie, whatever you want it to be. I mean, they just I think that I am against like hating on social media, even though it helps some people's careers. I think it it's instant gratification that's not healthy, and it doesn't it doesn't cultivate better talents, you know what I mean, Because they want everything to be so quick and like a sound bite, and they wanted sixty seconds, and they want to be able to, oh, this is digestible real quick, and then everybody could share it and then oh boom this person and as a star. And it's like when I was growing up, like people literally comedians had to go on tour to actually get their fan base. There was no I'm gonna put up this one minute stand up clip and then now I'm touring, I'm in Australia. Like it's just I'm not.
Speaker 4: Further, I would say that a fair amount of the people who are able now to do all of that when they get in person, aren't that good at the thing. Like there's so many of them, and you know, again, I'll be careful.
Speaker 2: But I think you're trying to say a lot of people from TikTok and YouTube and what's the one, the one.
Speaker 4: And Instagram and a whole bunch of other.
Speaker 1: Space we can hate on TikTok. I'm for hating on they can't dance on TikTok. I'm gonna say that.
Speaker 4: They're in a multitude of spaces sort of like accessing resources that rightfully belong to them because they're good at whatever that thing is. But also so now these titles are being applied to them that aren't realistic to what they can do. You know what I mean, Like every fucking list that you see on Vulture, Variety, whatever it is, is a list of motherfuckers who can't follow me. And that's crazy, you know what I'm saying that everybody lists.
Speaker 1: Langston has not been on any of these lists, but.
Speaker 4: It's not it's a pr I'm not going to go play that game in the same way that they are. And I think what I'm saying more importantly is go crazy. If that's the type of thing that you want to do, I'm not here to stop you, but I am gonna hate on it, and I am going to fully acknowledge. I know what trick you're playing, but the audience doesn't. They don't know that you pay somebody to help you get you know, attention in a certain type of way. But I do.
Speaker 1: And that's I found out. I found out about that last year. I was like, oh, niggas is getting And then I found out how much a publicism is. I said, I could not have much go in my pot. Five thousand dollars. Five thousand dollars, and that's for a short amount of time. That's not a publicist for the year. They do a little, They do a roundabout for like whatever you're doing press for, and then they're done. Then you gotta do and it's you gotta pay them again. Yeah, yeah, yeah. I went to a meeting and they were like the guy was like, I love the podcast. I love you guys. You know what you need a publicist? What they're like, yes, you want to reach it? Split how much it costs? I said, how much? Five thousand dollars? I said, why would we pay that? Why don't people just say that we're good and we get the.
Speaker 4: Person calculating the numbers, she pulled out her phone.
Speaker 1: I said, we don't have the money each each, I said, scrounge that up. No, we don't. I said, if you think I told the guy in the meeting, I said, if you think we're that good, you should pay for a publicist for us. I said, there's no way you could tell the artists that I, my broke.
Speaker 2: Ass needs to pay. We gotta start talking about titties or something on the podcast. We gotta change the cover art.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the thing. They I think there's a there's a faction of the world that we work in, live in that would want you to spend that money. And there's plenty of people that we know who have spent that money and benefited. That's okay, but don't pretend like this is uh, this is an elevated version of the art form. Just tell me what the fuck happened? They spent the money, you didn't, so go crazy.
Speaker 1: Well, because they're embarrassed. They're embarrassed that they had to think that, but is embarrassed about paying for a publicist. Though. The people who can afford to pay for a publicist, it's like having a manager or an agent for them. It's just like a part of the team.
Speaker 4: And I think we're we're repped, right, Like, I think there's people who don't have reps who are saying the same shit about people like you and I and all of us, like it's it's they're sitting there like if he didn't have an agent, he wouldn't be shit, he wouldn't have shit. And maybe that's true. I truly don't know. But what I do know is at least with stand up, you gotta we all gotta follow each other. I go, you go right, and one way or the other, we get to see what the shit looks like live versus whatever the Internet has told us it's meant to be.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the thing too about these like Vine, Instagram, YouTube, TikTok people is when they get a certain amount of followers, their reps tell them to do stand up because they know that they can sell out a weekend in the city or in Atlanta or blah blah blah wherever, and people show up to see them perform. But at these comedy clubs, the thing that I keep hearing is that they find out real real quick that their funny person that they follow, their social media star, is not funny in real life.
Speaker 4: It's a different funny.
Speaker 2: These people who pay to see you that one time, they're not coming back the next time you come back to their city.
Speaker 1: But you've already sold out three dates.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and and frankly, that's the challenge, right, is that now with social media, all you got to do is say this shits sold out. You keep selling out. It's not a question of the quality of the experience, and that just makes it all complicated and messy.
Speaker 1: Well, I want to be honest that I'm gonna hate on this generation because if we want to hate, they don't actually know what fucking is good or not. Like just period, Like I remember like listening to albums and I was like, oh, they really had a band. They're playing these instruments while they're singing. They had there's no there was no real studio voice. It was like either you can sing or you cannot sing. And so now everything is generated, everything can be filtered and put a spin on it, and you're like, now we can sell it, and that's that's what people want to hear. Anyway. They don't want to hear the old school R and B. They're like, that's all that's sad. It's like, no, that was people actually putting in the work in their field.
Speaker 4: And that's why, to your point, that's why I don't run from the title of hater. That's why I'm not scared of it. Is because I think, personally I believe that we need to bring hating back. I think a certain generation hit I wouldn't even say it's this generation, but probably the generation before, where they shamed people for having outspoken opinions about like some shit that they didn't care for, for stuff that's trash. And then it became like, okay, well, we'll just let everything exist and run wild. And now we have a bunch of people who are both exceptional and awful living in the exact same spaces, and that's crazy.
Speaker 1: Exceptional and awful and everybody both exceptional and awful is making money and they're posting on Instagram that they just bought a house, and it's like but, but it was like an influx this past year of people who were like what do you do? And they're like, I just want my first house. I'm twenty four, right, And it's like, is everybody is twenty four? Everybody? Nobody, nobody's twenty seven. Everybody we didn't have the same access. I mean, what did I have a dial up aim like that about it. You know, remember.
Speaker 4: I was never so lucky.
Speaker 1: And you know, good, good for them, that's great, that's great for them. But then that's I feel bad for the generation after this, because then they're going to have to hear all this awful music. Well all the music, some a lot of it, but all of it is not bad. It's some bops.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm not.
Speaker 1: I don't. I don't like the Doula peep. I don't. I don't. I don't like it. I don't like it. Yeah, I don't. I'm like, they make it. She's so good and I'm like I saw her perform and I was like, they don't have cold text she could text h she was on Saturday night, but I did listen. She was on Saturday. She's she's She's performed everywhere. I'm like, I don't. I listened to lip like a couple of weeks ago for the first time, and I was like, this is I. I had a completely different reaction than you, friend. I said, pretty please, I said, I'm here for this. It's it's I. I didn't say it was. I said, I don't. I don't think. I don't think it says Hype. I think she's a very thin, very thin girl that's very marketable, and that's why she is.
Speaker 4: And I think that that has always existed, right, We've always we've always in music and art and all these things been competing with somebody's attractiveness versus skill. That's a conversation that that's as old as time. But I do think that there was at least was a period where we were comfortable being like, I don't know that ain't ship, but go crazy like enjoy your your thing if that's what you want. And then we reached this period where it wasn't safe anymore to be like that ain't shit, and and I think we got to bring that back. We gotta, we gotta come back.
Speaker 1: But you know what it is, it's stand culture.
Speaker 2: Stand culture is what makes people afraid to say what they do or don't like, especially if the person is famous enough, like Nicki Minaj has Nicki Minaj has barbs, and that's a that's a level of crazy that you're like, wait what.
Speaker 1: And be right. But then Beyonce has what's Beyonce? People called the High, the High, the High, be hoop tier will like dis Roy Life find your right post a picture of you from nineteen ninety eight where you didn't have no teeth like the hivest next level disrespectful. Yes, Carrie Hilston has not had a remember her, I don't even know when she don't know she's not.
Speaker 4: Came out as an anti vaxxer this year, and I think that sort of made it a little more complicated. But to that point, maybe Carry Hilson doesn't find herself as an anti vaxer if we just hear her out when she started making fun of Beyonce the first time.
Speaker 1: But did she make fun did she make fun of Beyonce or did what did she say?
Speaker 4: I don't I don't even know.
Speaker 2: She might have been like, oh, I heard the song. She might have said I heard it, but I didn't really like it, and people were like, what did you? And it's like, not all Beyonce songs. I'm going on record saying this, not all Beyonce songs are good songs.
Speaker 1: She's an affair. She's oh, everything doesn't have to be good, but like it's the overall, it's the overall, like oh yeah, Fox would Beyonce like yes, and I.
Speaker 4: Think you'd be an unreasonable I think, And that's where I draw the line, right, is it would be unreasonable for me to come on this podcast and be like, fuck Beyonce, she ain't.
Speaker 1: That's where we're gonna replay everywhere.
Speaker 4: Yeah, hey Beyonce can suck my.
Speaker 1: Dick like number two. No, we will, we will. We're sending to.
Speaker 4: The point is that's an unreasonable position. She's obviously one of the most talented people in her industry. There is right in that little like space of people who do what she does. She's the best at it. That said, she ain't for me, you know what I'm saying, Like, there's a bunch of times where I'm like, I don't give a fuck about whatever. This ship that my wife and everybody I know is going crazy for it ain't for me. But I ain't mad at it, and I certainly have to respect the talent in it, whereas there are other people who we don't have to respect the talent in nor should we, but we keep being told we need to. And that to me is dangerous and problematic and speaks to the stand culture that you're talking about of just wanting to obsess over something instead of being honest about what it actually provides for us.
Speaker 3: I think it's interesting that you quoted r Kelly earlier and now you're saying that, yeah, yeah, I'm.
Speaker 4: A man who makes subtle homage. But he's sick. And I come from Chicago and we spent years obsessing over him. I literally knew the girl he peed on, and I still didn't have an understanding of what sexual assault was because the community around me is telling me that's not the same dangerous person that the pervert down the street is, and it is. It's just a more powerful pervert.
Speaker 1: Did you go to school with the girl who got peed on?
Speaker 4: Or she was like that? That is correct?
Speaker 3: She?
Speaker 4: Uh? He used to come to our uh our games to pick her up. She was a cheerleader.
Speaker 1: You know you're but you're not the first person to this.
Speaker 2: I feel like everyone that I know from Chicago has has an R Kelly.
Speaker 1: R Kelly loves into the high school story.
Speaker 4: No, he went to a lot of high schools. Let's not get it twisted. It's not like she was special when he peed on on her. She was one of many girls that he was sexually assaulted, right. Uh, she just happened to be the one that broke the case.
Speaker 1: Open, right, the p that broke the camel's back, if you.
Speaker 4: Will, yes, right? And who would have thought camel's backs could be broken by pete? But they sure can.
Speaker 1: So Langston, are you are you listening to R Kelly when it comes on? Or are you turning it off? That's I don't. I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't need those bad feelings. I'm not about to be that guy who like advocates for listening to R. Kelly. I will say that I'm not fighting. Everybody wants me to be mad at Michael, and I can't do it.
Speaker 1: I don't know Michael Jackson. Well that's because he died. He died, so we can't really get the case.
Speaker 4: But if I'm being honest, I don't think that the motherfucker was innocent. I I truly don't believe that, like those boys are just completely making up the story. I don't know that I believe that it went to the extent that they've they've gone to. But I do think that anytime an adult man is having any little intimacy with little white boys, there's a problem there.
Speaker 1: He was This.
Speaker 4: Is wait a minute, little Michael ain't never heard nobody right, Little little Michael was hurt it.
Speaker 1: So we can listen to Little Michael and the Jackson five.
Speaker 2: I'm still do you remember the time Jackson when it comes on the shuffle? So but R Kelly is blocked from being played.
Speaker 4: On my phone. I don't do no Chris trying to stay away from Breezy as much as possible.
Speaker 1: That being said, No guidance was a bop.
Speaker 4: It was so it was the one with rhymes. That was a pretty good one.
Speaker 2: How you can hate from outside the club you can't even get in that one.
Speaker 1: There you go, that's a good one. Yeah, I mean listen. I think if you have a platform, right, I think you could use your hating in a in a good way. I think the things that you don't like, you just don't mention it, because when you're mentioning in it, you're giving it more traction. So I think if you're a smart hater, you would hate in your group text and then only promote the stuff that you actually like on And that's.
Speaker 4: Something I wholeheartedly believe. I think you're putting it in a better way than I put it earlier. I think that the best thing I can do is just remained silent on the things that that give me pause, because more more often than not, the second I go I don't fuck with this thing, at least thirty people are going to gravitate towards it, if for no other reason than what you were saying, Maria being oppositional or at least being curious about the shit that I hated on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, damn, I like a I was asking something. I was going to add to that, and then I forgot what it was. Oh, oh Langston hate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he is what brought down Bill Cosby, Okay, because he was hating on a specific community. And then Hannibal said, instead of telling people to pull they pens up, Bill, you should be you should stop pulling people's pants down. And then the whole thing opened up. And look at Bill Cosby in prison now with blossy eyes.
Speaker 4: He he built an empire. Uh in his latter life later life on being unkind to poor black people. That was his whole brand was just I've read the fucking transcripts for what they called the pound Cake speech. That's the speech where he was basically going on those long rants about you know, black kids pulling up their pants and all the terrible mothers who were raising them, And it's just a mean, mean person who clearly doesn't feel any connection to anybody under a certain like economic level. And that's fucking crazy. And yeah, you deserve to get you know, you dick slept in prison or whatever it is that's happening to him.
Speaker 2: We don't know and we don't care, but he deserves anything that's happening to him. And like, but like, how dare you be hating on that when you when.
Speaker 1: You got so much worse in your closet? Yeah, why are you worried about my pants?
Speaker 3: Sir?
Speaker 1: Where the quaylud's at? Let's talk?
Speaker 4: And to that point, that's something I also try to do, is like, if I'm gonna hate on some shit, I want to at least believe that I'm not putting out some like equally problematic version of that thing. Most of the stuff I hate, I feel like I at least can I can do better or I am doing better on something, and I try to leave some ship that like I can't do alone. So even with like the TikTok dances, I don't get mad at motherfucker's getting rich off of TikTok dances because I ain't gonna do it and I don't know how, Like I truly don't.
Speaker 1: It's a lot of this and like clapping had a shy clap. Yeah, it's all in the arms. It's all the arms. It's less about the it's less about this. It's actually not even really about the rhythm at all. It's just like maybe, no, it's never and there's a slide what which is? Which is fine? We're not going to be mad at that. Oh oh you know what? People were upset about that. I would like to hear your take on Kevin. They were they were dragging his special. They were saying, it's bad, it's.
Speaker 4: Kevin, but also I don't know, well.
Speaker 1: Hold on, hold on. So then they went into clubhouse and they were dragging it, and then he got in the room and was trying to defend his special one club.
Speaker 4: But and this is where it gets real sick for old Kevin because he part of the reason he went on clubhouses, because he's an investor in clubhouse and like a cross promotion pollination type thing of getting people to be attracted to the thing. It's a it's a koy game that he's playing with us. But at the end of the day, it was just a dude who put out garbage, and he knew he put out garbage, but he also like felt like he needed to have something because his ego is built the way his ego is built. I don't know what to do. There's no healing, right, Like, I'm not going to offer up anything that makes Kevin better. But also, nigga, you know what that special was doing?
Speaker 1: It was I fell asleep. I put it on and I was like, wait, he's in his house. Yeah, And I woke up and Netflix was like you still watching it? And I was like no, and I just shut my laptop.
Speaker 4: I'm not watching this no more. I watched every minute of it.
Speaker 1: You okay, And I'll say this. I watch between all the rooms.
Speaker 4: Every special that comes out, and I have opinions on every single one, even people who I don't care for from the beginning of watching it.
Speaker 1: Well, I think we need to do a patron episode of this. I think people need to pay twenty dollars, no fifty dollars if they want to hear what you really We.
Speaker 4: Can go down the list if we If this is a paywall situation, we can I could.
Speaker 2: Say without the wall being up, how you feel about Andrew Shultz Special because that's a comic that people keep bringing up when I talk.
Speaker 4: It was terrible. I think we can all agree that that.
Speaker 1: Also was not I haven't I didn't watch it. Isn't it like a bunch of things. It was fifteen minutes.
Speaker 4: It's four or fifteen minutes specials. It's minutes total. But it's it's his take on four different things. Most of it is just him making weird Jeffrey Epstein puns and like sort of uh scolding people for being human. I don't know, it's not great, But that said, I take a lot of issue. I think my larger issue with a lot of that is, uh, there's, uh, there's something really yucky about this brand of white boy who uh sort of appropriates black culture without giving any credit to any of like black go off. It doesn't feel that far from the Jake Paul of it all for me, where it's like, all right, motherfucker, are we being black or not? Like, just be honest about where the fuck you got this from. Cause, nigga, you don't talk like that around your family. I'm one hundred percent sure that ain't your family voice.
Speaker 1: That's not your talking to the irs voice.
Speaker 2: That's not your talking to your voice, that's not getting pulled over voice.
Speaker 1: That's not how you talk at Thanksgiving, Like.
Speaker 4: Get the fuck god? He you don't talk like that, and nor do I.
Speaker 1: I mean, he's I don't know, he's been like he's on on guy code, he's I mean, he's been talking like this for a long like yeah, but you know he's been with Charlemagne forever. So like but you know who else? Damn I keeping.
Speaker 4: You'll get no fight out of me. I agree he put them on. And that's that's enough bullshit to me to even begin the conversation. Amongst other things, that he did mean things to black women for years before he woke up and decided to rebrand himself.
Speaker 1: H damn Linkston. We gotta get this patriot. I really want to.
Speaker 4: Know, Bridges, I don't give.
Speaker 1: I really feel like you would give us the content. I really wish you would have been some bridges today, But I don't know. You know, we're not gonna We're not gonna keep you for much younger. Do you have some tips on how to hate properly? Do you have some some tips on how to get over being a hater? Anything?
Speaker 4: A nice way to hate, thank you for asking. I think a nice way to hate is to UH is to post without context to your group chat. Just post the thing, allow the responses to flow and build your your your full perspective from that. So something you don't find UH to be yummy and as you you see it, you give it to your group, your small little circle. You let them say what they got to say, and then once you've had a finished sort of perspective on it, that's when you unleash the full round of hateration. Exactly.
Speaker 2: I actually enjoyed it. I don't think it's that I didn't like it too much. And then you're like, you pounce yes, then you go off, Okay, I like that.
Speaker 1: That's a good test, and.
Speaker 4: That way you don't ever feel like, oh, this is just coming from an unfinished place. You get a full, finished perspective and then you throw.
Speaker 1: It in Okay. So is there any is there such thing as hate redemption? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Didn't like something for X amount of time and then you one day you like, oh.
Speaker 4: Wait, I kind of get it now, and I yes, I think I think that that you should have the right to not like something, to hate on something, but also be able to give it the space if you're a human enough person. We all change, we all grow, we're all evolving at all times, and there's space for you to be a person who goes I didn't like that at first, or I used to not like whatever this person was putting out, but now I do. I used to fuck with Kevin Hart super hard, and now I don't. But that doesn't mean that he might not put out something where I go, man, he found it again, and that's okay. But right now that special stinks and that's fine.
Speaker 1: I mean, okay, So you can hate something and then if there's something they do make something good, you could be like, hey, hey, just because I hate them doesn't mean I can't acknowledge that that was pretty good.
Speaker 2: I don't think that Langston was saying he's given hard. I think he's saying he hates he hates the spend.
Speaker 1: No no, no, no, no no no.
Speaker 4: I'm just saying yeah, I and yes. But I think to both of those questions, yes, you cannot like someone, you cannot like the product, but if you are an honest human being, you also should be able to acknowledge that we evolve and change and grow. So maybe you feel differently five minutes from now or ten years from now, who knows.
Speaker 1: Wow, Wow Langston, thank you for helping us evolve and change and grow tonight. Yeah, I want one last thing instead of we're going to flip the hating and we're gonna do some like uplifting a Lengston say, I would like you to go around the room and just say a few positive things about each of the people on the zoom to close us out. Yeah, you know, I love that.
Speaker 4: First of all, Andrew, those lights are spectacular. As soon as I got on, I said, those are beautiful lights. And I wish I had the audacity to hang lights in the room that I'm in, but this is mostly empty room that I'm allowed to work in, but because my wife doesn't respect me anyway, love your lights, and you've been very patient, and you're a good producer as far as I can tell. Who knows if you can edit. But the goddamn heroes far as.
Speaker 3: It's hard to compete with their lights. They all have go sex lights, as they call them.
Speaker 4: So hey, we all have sex and different colors. So you're having sex and white Christmas and they're having sex in different Christmases, alternative Christmases. Okay, Marie, I listen you. You you nailed it with that peach cobbler. Goddamn, was that a funny ass joke? Fucking a pie and it's called a black man fucking a pie and it's called that's goddamn funny. And Uh, I'm glad you had that all that wine because you're loose. I love it.
Speaker 1: I'm forgetting all the questions that I want to ask, but I'm going to have more. Uh, thank you, Lang sty Okay.
Speaker 4: And now Sydney, Sydney, Oh, Sydney, I text you on your birthday and you didn't reply, but I forgive you for that. But more importantly, Sydney, your hair looks beautiful, You're you're glowing in your pink light. You look fantastic. And you brought in some very important counter perspectives to some of the things that I was saying. That helped me sharpen my my perspective on hate. And I appreciated that. This evening, I'm going.
Speaker 2: To say a positive thing about you and then you can go and then we'll wrap this up.
Speaker 4: Oh sure, you went.
Speaker 1: All the way around and didn't mention seminary key no one time. I think you did a phenomenal job tonight, babe.
Speaker 4: No, it was a it was a tight rope, and boy was I was hanging over spikes on one side and ice crystals on the other.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 4: I managed it. I figured it out.
Speaker 1: He saw my face. I was like, I saw it.
Speaker 4: I was like, I gotta say some snot like a little you know, a little comment. I'll talk about her birthday. I'll bring up the factor apply to text messages. But I'm not gonna bring up that cemeitary. That's that's difficult.
Speaker 1: You were thank you tell people who are listening where they can catch you, where they can see you, you.
Speaker 4: Know, Okay, Yeah, you can catch me online at Langston Kerrman on all the platforms l A N G S T O n K E R M A N. I don't know why I spelled it for you. You've figured it out.
Speaker 1: It's pretty fit Leangston.
Speaker 4: Yeah, people don't listen. Well, I've been called leslie far too many times to put faith in the human ear. And oh and please go listen to my podcast. It's called my Mama Told Me and we talk about black people and their conspiracy theories. And the cool sort of like uh not QAnon of of the world around us, all the anti QAnon if you will on my podcast, which is.
Speaker 1: Real fun, beautiful. Thanks so much, Leangston, Sydney. Any final words, Andrew, final words, Leangthston. You've been so consistent. I mean, ever since I've met you seven years ago, you've been uh stunning, hilarious and and and yeah, I've never seen you. I've never seen you unemployed and broke, and I love that. And I'll make sure to text you back. Man, I'll even I'll even face.
Speaker 4: I'm not fighting that. I'll take a FaceTime here and there. Marie. You're gonna FaceTime. Any face time is coming your way.
Speaker 1: You didn't text me on my birthday.
Speaker 4: That's sure.
Speaker 2: I don't think I'm I was like.
Speaker 1: I don't think I have it either. Yeah, I was like, he definitely doesn't.
Speaker 4: And I'm gonna text you on your birthday, Andrew, No deed, you'll get no text message from me on your birthday.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I don't get a text from them either.
Speaker 1: Andrew October on your birthday, Yes, I speak.
Speaker 3: My birthday is November.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that means we surely did.
Speaker 1: I definitely text you the receipts to be okay. All right, yeah, well, thank you for listening to this once again episode with everybody on the call being sexy as fuck. You know what to do, leave a review, rate, subscribe, do all those things, make sure you're following us, follow us on all of our platforms, and uh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, one fabulous rest of the week or whatever the hell the end of that sentence was supposed to be.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Bye guys, Bye Forever Dog. This has been a Forever Dog production.
Speaker 4: The Unofficial Expert is Executive produced by Brett Boham, Joe ccilio, and Alex Ramsey. Senior producer Tracy Soren, Produced by Andrew McGuire. Cover art by Sandy Hoenig. To listen to this podcast ad free, sign up for Forever Dog Plus at Foreverdog Podcasts dot com slash plus. Check out video clips of our podcasts on YouTube at YouTube dot com slash Forever Dog Team, and make sure to follow us on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook at Forever Dog Team to keep up with all the latest Forever Dung news.