Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey you welcome to Stuff to Blow your Mind listener mail. My name is Robert Lamb.
Speaker 3: And I am Joe McCormick, and hey, welcome back, Rob and I. We were out for a week, but now we've returned to resume the Halloween season on the show. If you're new to Stuff to Blow your Mind, you're not familiar with what we do. Every year, we spend all of October covering spooky topics on Stuff to Blow Your Mind, And accordingly, most of our listener mail today maybe all of it will be in response to Halloween topics we've already done on the show. And man, our loyal mail bot Carney, really seems to be in the Halloween spirit. I received word from our it tech here that Carney was recently upgraded with a new chip from the Stone Hinge Magic Stone, and now he is aggressively asking us to try on these masks. He's got a pumpkin mask for me, Rob. Is this a witch masket?
Speaker 2: I think it is.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure what this is about, but he wants us to put them on on Halloween Night.
Speaker 2: All right, I can't do I can't imagine any issue with that. Let's do it probably around midnight, I'm thinking, Oh, and.
Speaker 3: There's supposed to be a special commercial on TV, so we'll see what happens. But we got nine more days before then, so there's plenty more Halloween stuff to do before the big day. Rob By the way, so you were out of town while you were out, anything you want to share about your trip? Where'd you go?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, I mean that's the thing about October. It's also always a there's always a fall break week in there. So the fam and I we went out to California, visited Somemoi's California family out there, and while we were there, we went to let's see, Kings Canyon National Park, Assemity National Park, the Lake Tahoe regions. So yeah, California listeners, you have some excellent natural environments out there, though, though I do have to mention the Kings Canyon due to some forest fire in the region, the Happy Fire, I believe is what it's dubbed. We had a very mordoor ask environment there. It was still still beautiful country, but there was definitely a smoky, ashy haze that did make for some excellent photographs. We had a photo of like me and my son and it looks like a band photo. It looked pretty cool.
Speaker 3: The fires of industry burning around door thonk make the urchai.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, not so good for the lungs, but good for the optics.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, rob if you don't mind, I'm going to kick things off with this first message in response to our series of episodes on Trains of Terror.
Speaker 2: Yes, let's jump into it.
Speaker 3: So during the episodes, we asked listeners to send in their local ghost train lore if you had any, and this first message really sent me down some interesting trails. So this is from and here's a good reminder, folks, if you write into the show, we will usually just identify you by your first name, but you can use a pseudonym too if you want. This message is from really cool wizard. All right, really cool wizard, says Robert and Joe. All familiar cordialities in regards to the frequency I listened to your broadcast and the rarity in which I write in. But this week this was a temptation because one of my local haunts has a ghost train story of sorts. Down in San Antonio, Texas. There is an urban legend that there was a car filled with orphans that became trapped on a train track at midnight and was decimated by a passing train sometime during the Great Depression. This all happened allegedly in a location which is now an abandoned industrial district. This is ideal, as in the dead of night, the darkness is ever present and the wilderness has crept into the desolate reminiscence of a bygone era. The practice is to cover the back of your car in baby powder and park on the tracks. Parentheses not a good idea. The ghost children will push your vehicle off of the tracks, and when you check the back of your vehicle, you will witness their fingerprints pressed into the powder. This is a brilliant haunt. It has this A plus B equal C characteristic to it. This isn't a bloody marry or a beetlejuice scenario where you can conduct the action and prove it to be a falsity meant to scare you. With this urban legend, if you follow the steps, everything will actually happen. Now, I suspect as many do that your car rolls because tracks are beveled to deter rain and other weather as mentioned in your show, guys, and the fingerprints you are witnessing are likely your own. Still, I appreciate that someone thought up the scare. It's worth mentioning that the census has the population of San Antonio well over two million, and I've never met anyone who hasn't at a minimum, visited the ghost tracks. Love the show. Really cool, Wizard, Well Wizard, thank you for your email. I thought this story was really interesting, so I decided to dig a little bit deeper. And yes, not only did I find plenty of versions of the story bouncing around all over the web, I also found extensive evidence of Texas locals who seemed not only aware of, but rather attached to the story and the phenomenon you described with like the rolling car and the fingerprints. So one of the sources I came across was a local news article from ksat San Antonio from October nineteenth, twenty eighteen, reporting on work that Union Pacific had slated for the intersection that month. This is the intersection where the haunting is said to occur, and the work scheduled would allegedly put an end to the ghost track phenomenon. So how exactly would that work? How would upgrading the rail line banish the ghosts? Well, the plan for the project included laying two miles of new siding track to accommodate increased rail traffic passing through San Antonio, and this would be a new line running parallel to the existing one, and adding the second set of tracks changes the slope of the intersection. And this is what will, according to this article, put a stop to cars seeming to be pushed by invisible hands. Now, in the email, a really cool wizard suspects that the cars roll because the tracks are beveled or raised for drainage purposes, and this does appear to be the likely explanation, or at least close to the likely explanation. In this news article, it's explained that for some reason, the segment of road intersecting the tracks appears to be, or did appear to be before the upgrade slightly uphill in one direction, but it's actually in reality slightly downhill in that direction. And I'm going to come back to this issue in just a minute. But anyway, because of that, adding the second set of tracks would eliminate the illusory slow As for the fingerprints. I thought this was kind of interesting. Our correspondent here seems to be on the right track. Again. If you sprinkle baby powder on your car in any circumstance, there's a good chance that if you look closely, you will see fingerprints. Even if you were very careful not to touch your car after you did it, the fingerprints that you see were already there, left by you or whoever else has been touching your car lately. By adding the baby powder, you are essentially dusting for prints. Now in this article, A spokesman for Union Pacific told the news station that the project was not designed to get rid of the ghost track phenomenon, but this was kind of an added benefit because, from his perspective, the urban legend encouraged people to engage in unsafe behaviors at a railroad crossing. Hard to argue with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, you don't want to go messing around some train tracks. Some trains don't like it, and they don't mind showing you.
Speaker 3: But so there was a TV segment covering this story as well, and their location reporter was asking people about it. You know, do you know about the ghost tracks? Oh? Yeah, have you tried it? And so forth. But when people they talked to found out about the changes coming, they seem to be quite upset about the idea that this tradition would be made obsolete. One person, talking about the idea that, like the car wouldn't roll off the tracks anymore, said, isn't that illegal to make the changes? I mean, I guess it's kind of perceived as like a crime against culture to make an urban legend no longer work. But I did want to come back to the idea of illusory slopes because I was looking into this, and I think this is actually a fairly interesting phenomenon. It's the principle behind probably dozens of minor tourist tractions in the United States alone, and there are ones in other continents and countries as well, But in the US they're very often called mystery hill or gravity hills, or just mystery spots. There's one that I've been to before that was near Boone, North Carolina. I think it was actually in Blowing Rock that is called mystery hill. And there are places with what appears to be anomalous gravitational phenomena, so you know, you put a ball on the ground and it looks like it is rolling uphill, or you have people stand at what feels like straight up, but it looks like a forty five degree angle. Why aren't they falling over? Right? Have you ever been one of these tourist attractions.
Speaker 2: Rob, I mean I might have, but I never really checked gravity while I'm on vacation. Is there are these the places where they brew the high gravity IPAs. I also don't know much about beer.
Speaker 3: Ah, well, you know that would be a if somebody hasn't done that tie in, that's a crime. Right, You've got to have a high gravity brewery at the gravity hill because Yeah, these attractions often propose some weird, fake scientific explanation why it happens. They say, there's there's an electromagnetic disturbance, you know, a gravitational anomaly in the Earth's crust, or like a great mass of magnetic material in the hill, something like that. I think I came across one. I think that said there's like a buried black hole or something. These explanations tend to be for fun. Sometimes they straight up blame it on ghosts or another supernatural cause. The real reason in every case that I could find sources on is at the same time, fairly mundane and kind of interesting in analyzing how our perception of up and down works. So the mundane explanation is that these mystery spots are visual illusions. There's nothing unusual at all happening with respect to gravity. There are little anomalous differences in gravity at different spots on the surface of the Earth, but the differences are so small they would not cause a ball to roll uphill that that's not that's not going to be the case with any of these places. Instead, there is something about the location which causes an uphill slope to look like a downhill slope, or causes an inclined slope to look flat. So, for example, you can have a place where the slope of a hill is surrounded by maybe trees and buildings, and you expect trees and buildings to always be sticking straight up, perfectly perpendicular from the ground. But if you're in a place where the trees are leaning slightly, maybe the trees are leaning slightly downhill, and the buildings are leaning slightly downhill, and your view of the horizon is obstructed by all of this stuff around you, the slope of the hill could actually look like it is descending to the south. But then you place a ball on the ground and it will roll apparently uphill to the north. The ball isn't actually rolling up hill. It's just that the visual cues in your environment are tricking your brain about which way is downhill. And there was actually a study about this I came across that was published in the journal Psychological Science in the year two thousand and three by Paula Bresson, Luigi Garla Shelly, and Monica Bericano called anti gravity hills are visual illusions? Always love a research paper title that is like a full sentence and states the core finding. Yeah. The researchers who looked into this were affiliated with the University of Padua and the University of Pavia, both in Italy, and in this study, the authors recreated the conditions of various anti gravity attractions using laboratory settings with like planks of wood and stuff to create slopes and then the appearance of different kinds of surroundings, and they write, quote, we conclude that anti gravity hill effects follow from a misperception of the eye level relative to gravity, caused by the presence of either contextual inclines or a false horizon line. So if subjects. If people could see a true horizon, they were much less likely to fall for the illusion. If the true horizon were obscured, though, then it was more likely. They also say quote when proceeded, followed or flanked by a steep downhill slope, a slight downhill stretch is perceived as uphill. So you can have a slight downhill incline that looks like it's going uphill if it's surrounded by steeper downhill grades. And another interesting psychological quirk is that they apparently discovered that our with our perception, it's easier to create the illusion in one direction than it is in the other. Specifically, it's easier to trick the brain into falsely seeing a surface as tilted uphill than it is to trick the brain into falsely seeing a surface as downhill. Maybe we're just primed to notice uphill because I don't know looking at an uphill slope ahead of you. You're trying to do the calculations to be like, Okay, this is going to be more work to walk up or something. But also there was a quote from the researchers that made me laugh. This was quoted in a science reporting piece on it where they say quote. After each observer's task was concluded, we placed a small roll of tape on the misperceived slope, and the tape appeared to move against the law of gravity, producing surprise and on occasion, reverential fear. So I was looking at some images of this San Antonio rail crossing where the ghosts allegedly pushed the car off, and I couldn't tell exactly what it is about this location that would cause people to misperceive the downhill slope, or to think that it was flat, or to think it was uphill when it was actually downhill. There are trees and telephone poles around that may have something to do with it. It might also just have something to do with the crossing's relationship to the surrounding roads. It could be masking a kind of raised or beveled area like a really cool wizard was talking about. But I also am still thinking about how I don't know. It's just interesting that in that reporting people were feeling up set that a physical alteration of transportation infrastructure would destroy a visual illusion that causes people to believe in ghosts touching their car.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it's like you have some sort of little curio like this. There's a lot of you know, there's a lot of culture built up around it. So I guess it's understandable if you feel like it is threatened in the same way you feel threatened when aling like local businesses that are institutions might go away, you know, or just curious landmarks will go away. I mean, it's just part of it's part of the landscape, and you want it to remain a part of your life.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, they can't close the old ghost pushing store.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but if they turn it into a microbrewery for high gravity ipa, I guess it's all right.
Speaker 3: Brewers out there, take this idea and run with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and roll right in and tell me. Why is it called a high gravity beer? I have no idea.
Speaker 3: I think that just means higher alcohol, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: That it's that's kind of an elaborate way of stating it. Just say it's like boozier, right, higher alcohol level.
Speaker 3: Stronger beer. I don't know. Maybe gravity has something to do with I wonder if there's some kind of something about the brewing process that involves gravity that results in a stronger, more alcoholic brewer. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm just not I'm just not hip to the terminology. All right, this next one, I see you have this one labeled as another great horror story, so I'm gonna i'm sight unseen. I haven't read this one yet. I'm gonna try and give it a nice creepy read. Here we go. Good morning, Robert and Joe. I just started listening to your second episode on ghost Trains and it reminded me of a spooky experience my wife and I had a couple of years ago. One night, at around two am, my wife and I woke up to a thundering, monotone sound that felt like it was coming from all around our apartment. The sound was relentless and jarring. My brains still hazy, immediately thought aliens are officially real and we are about to be abducted. My wife did not want me to peek through our curtains to see what it was, and our dog was shook. The sound kept going, and as time passed it started to distort and warble, which did not ease my mind. Like any human being questioning their sanity, we went to social media, hoping that other people in the area might be experiencing this sound. Multiple people seemed to have the same question about this sound, but did not have answers. This roaring sound went on for what felt like hours until our brains finally were able to drown it out and sleep. The next day, we learned it was not aliens, but instead a conductor operating a train. Apparently he decided to end his ship when his replacement was late and left with the train horn on full blast. No one turned off the horn until later that morning. I hope you enjoyed this anecdotal account that ended up related to trains. It was one of the eeriest experiences of my life, and I could really see a good scary story involving trains leaning into that. Thanks for reading. I love the podcast and I hope you guys keep it up for years to come. Best Jake, Well.
Speaker 3: Thank you Jake that that email for me. It started very spooky and it ended very funny. So that if I understand right, you're saying that the conductor just literally left the horn on full blast and it did.
Speaker 2: Not stop all night. Yeah. I mean, I'm used to a lot of racket from the trains, because again I live right next to them, but this would definitely disturb my sleep if it was something, you know, out of the ordinary and consistent like this. True ghost trains, I guess are usually they're more fleeting, like they're they're through. It's not what is that sound that won't stop? It is what was that sound that I heard briefly in the night.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it's also funny how something like of that sort, like a like a loud scary sound, can only be scary for a certain limited amount of time before it's not scary anymore and just becomes annoying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, especially if it becomes obvious that it has no real meaning or import you know, it is not a warning siren. It is not trying to tell you something about what the train is doing. It is just malfunctioning. Yeah, that's a good point. It can't be a warning if it's just like, you know, like somebody leaning.
Speaker 3: On the horn all night. All right, I'm gonna do this. Next message from Dennis, Dennis says it's still on the subject of horror trains. Hello, Rob, Joe and JJ. Your recent pair of episodes on ghost trains reminded me of a local celebrity of sorts. It's Lower Bay Station in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Lower Bay was part of an experiment in subway routing that the TTC, the Toronto Transit Commission, the agency that administers public transit in the city, ran and subsequently abandoned. It's an almost complete subway station underneath the existing Bay Street station, right in the middle of downtown Toronto. It was used for a few months in nineteen sixty six, but proved confusing and was abandoned in short order. It's not accessible by the public, and trains bypass it as part of their normal route, so most people aren't even aware it's there. It's basically a duplicate of the existing Bay Street station, just unused by commuters. Oh wow, Oh, this is a great tie into our variation we talked about in these episodes, where it's not the train that's spectral but the station. There's like a sort of otherworldly stop that maybe exist or doesn't exist in physical space. Let's see. And then Dennis links to a blog that has photos of the station. Robi also included in our outline a photo I found of the station platform that is gorgeous. Oh my, like the it's got these blue and yellow colored tile patterns. On the floor. That looks so cool. It looks you know, I just want all the John Carpenter movies shot in this station, and let's see. Dennis goes on to say, what's interesting is that, unlike a traditional abandoned station, Lower Bay is still maintained. It's designed in the same style and has been regularly updated to test everything from floor cleaning and repair techniques to safety technologies to train car driver training. And as such, it's lit, kept up and maintained, but otherwise completely empty most of the time. This just gets better and better, Dennis says. What's even more interesting is that it's probably famous, albeit unknowingly two stuff to blow your mind listeners as the go to location for many, many, many weird house grade films and TV series. Toronto stands in for New York with some regularity, but Lower Bay punches above its weight even by that standard. Here's a list of films that Lower Bay features in, in no particular order. Feel free to chop this list for brevity. Okay, it's in Johnny naemonic from nineteen ninety five, it's in Mimic from nineteen ninety seven. That one, yeah, yeah, does that take place in a museum or my thinking of Relic.
Speaker 2: You're thinking of Relic. Mimic is the Del Toro picture that is based on an excellent short story about giant insects that have begun mimicking human beings. And there were some real problems with production to who the producers were on that picture, if I remember correctly, but he came out did a director's cut. I believe it's one of the few cases where the director's cut is shorter than the original theatrical release. But great cast, cool monsters. I mean, you expect as much from theon mental tour.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, maybe we'll have to come check that out for weird house. Yeah, I was confusing it with Relic, the one that takes place in like the Field Museum, maybe in some museum anyway. But also Dennis says that, yes, Mimick is, according to him, about human sized, genetically engineered, hyper intelligent cockroaches.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 3: Also, oh, how could we not lead with this? It is an overdrawn at the Memory Bank starring Raul Julia featured in a famous Mystery Science Theater three thousand episode. Oh boy, do you remember what part of the movie this would be?
Speaker 2: Rob ooh there are a few different locations. There's some great Toronto locations. I think in that picture it was a Canadian production of Memory Serves, and I think it would this one would probably be more of a shoe in for us if there was a great to watch it. If Memory Serves, this one has not been really released in any acceptable format. I think you have to buy a Last time I checked, you had to buy a VHS tape to get it. Maybe maybe there's been some sort of release since then. But there's some great mall shots in that picture for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, distributors, if you're listening, get overdrawn at the Memory Bank on disc. Get it for us. I want a pristine Blu Ray. I want to see Fingle in all his glory.
Speaker 2: I mean, it has a lot of great ideas in it. It's it's it's it's wonderful to riff on, but it has a great cast and it has has some interesting concepts based on what a John Varley novel of Memory Serves.
Speaker 3: Okay, the list does not stop there. Dennis goes on to say that it's in dark Man from nineteen ninety.
Speaker 2: The great one.
Speaker 3: Oh who is that? Who directed that? Sam Raimi? Right? M Yep, apparently it's in time Shifters. I think I've seen this one, but I don't recall it. This is from nineteen ninety nine. Dennis calls this a Casper Van Deen classic, except the original email speed spelled his name Casper van Diem. I guess brother of Karpe. It's in The Recruit from two thousand and three. I don't know that movie, the Sound from twenty seventeen, Extreme Measures from ninety six, Bait from two thousand, Bless the Child from two thousand, Bulletproof, Monk from two thousand and three. I know less of these later movies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know these either, but yeah, certainly there's plenty of other cases too, where it's Toronto standing in for New York.
Speaker 3: Anyway, Dennis's message continues, I've never actually seen the inside of the station, except briefly through an open door to the lower level, which piqued my interest at the time because I didn't understand what I was looking at. I have friends in the local film industry who've been in it, and it is quite interesting to see, especially when it's cosplaying New York or Chicago. Thought you might find this one interesting and thank you doubly for the years of great content you've seen my way. Dennis. Well, thank you, Dennis. Great message. I knew nothing about this. I'm gonna have to check out that blog post and see what I've seen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you pulled up some of these images from this phantom train station and they're they're very, very evocative. I love these. I've never been to Toronto. I need to rectify that at some point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've only ever had a layover at the airport there. I've never visited the city, and I know it's supposed to be a great city in a lot of ways. So I would love to see this station if I could. An abandoned subway station that is still kept up is like that. That is such a delicious idea to me.
Speaker 2: All right. This next one comes to us from Jim in New Jersey. Jim Riot's Robert, Joe and JJ. You only briefly mentioned the linear nature of trains. There's only one major path through them. This aspect has been used effectively in many train plots in movies and television. As for horror movies with trains, I'll submit train to Poissan In this South Korean movie from twenty sixteen, a divorced father is taking his daughter from Soul to Bassan so she can spend her birthday with her mother. The zombie apocalypse occurs at the start of their journey, and an infected person boards the train and quickly infects others. Most of the movie involves the uninfected passengers avoiding being bitten by the infected passengers, and due to the linear nature of the train, there's at least one scene where the uninfected have to battle through a car of the infected. Jim in New Jersey, Oh, thanks, Jim.
Speaker 3: This movie has been on my list for years. It's one of those I've got a bunch of movies like this that I've been meaning to watch for a long time. I've always heard it's great, and I've never seen it yet. Maybe this October is the time I'll finally watch it. But yes, Jim, I think you're right about like the linear nature of trains having some kind of thematic resonance in these stories. It's definitely there in Snow Piercer the way, like you know, the making your way through through the train one car at a time, and each train is kind of each car is its own miniature world. And having to fight through them one at a time to get to the front.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, this is definitely a post snow Piercer film. I can't help but notice. But you know, it's again, it's a great concept, like the train creates a linear world for us, and in more than one way. You know, linear space is one car after after another, and then you're headed from point A to point B. It just I don't know, it just works so well with linear storytelling, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally. And when the story involves a kind of adventure or journey or track of moving through the cars gives you a very natural kind of structure. There's only one way to go, and that can sometimes be fun for stories, you know, having having the physical environment in which the story takes place shape the direction of the narrative can be It can be a fun riding exercise.
Speaker 2: M all right, speaking of linear progress, what is the next listener mail in our chain of listener mails?
Speaker 3: All right? This next message comes from Anna, And at the beginning of this message, Anna brings up something we were talking about in the Trains episode where where a ghost train is a kind of interesting thing because it can be like a ghost in that it can be a spectral entity itself that you know, kind of appears and then vanishes, just like an individual embodied human ghost. But then it can also be like a haunted location, like a haunted house, because a train is something you can go inside. There's an interior environment, so technically a train could be haunted. And we talked about the sort of the differences there. It seems to be more often that ghost train stories are more like the train is the ghost, rather than it's like a haunted house. But it could in principle be the latter. Let's see. Anna goes on to say, hello, Robert and Joe, I really enjoyed your episodes on Trains of Terror. You were talking about haunted trains versus haunted ships. I think ships are different because people actually lived on ships, so that would make them more like a haunted house. And I think that's a good point. Yeah, that you can have the idea of a haunted ship makes more sense because more of life was taking place there, whereas treating a train like a haunted house feels a little bit less intuitive because people don't spend as much of their life on the train, you know, they just kind of get on and get off. But somebody might live on a ship for months or something, or.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't know. There's nothing that happens on a ship that doesn't happen on a train. Name one thing, it's happened on a train, gotten a fish. Yes, it's happened on a train. I guarantee you.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, fair enough, let's see. And his message goes on to say, also, I think one thing you did not cover is that when you're on a train, you can get a glimpse into the lives of other people. Maybe you witness something terrible, like a murder, but there is nothing you can really do about it. This would partly fit into the unchangeable fate aspect of trains, But I do think there's something slightly spooky about just getting a glimpse into other people's lives. Well respectfully, and I think we did get into this a little bit. This is sort of what we were talking about with the idea of the train stories having these themes of alienation, like with the Sherlock Holmes monologue where he's looking out the train the train window and imagining all of the horrors and the sordid details and the miseries in the places he sees as he goes by. I think this is actually a common thing in a lot of train stories. Yeah, this feeling of like that you can see other people, but you're only passing by, and there's no way to get out and interact. So there's this built in disconnect from the rest of humanity which you witness out the windows. Yeah. Yeah, bridging this email a little bit, and I also includes a very nice poem on the theme of getting a glimpse into other people's lives through the windows of a train, which is very nice indeed. But then she goes on to say the next thing I wanted to mention is the musical Starlight Express. It's a musical about a train that only exists in the imagination. It's very cheesy and a lot of fun. When I was growing up, the Starlight Express soundtrack was in high rotation in our house. Lastly, I don't have an example of a ghost train, but there it was an incident in our family that we call the phantom ute. For context, a ute is similar to a pickup truck. It is short for utility vehicle. I think this is Australian slaying. I'm pretty sure about that. Okay, and it says we were traveling down an unpaved country road at night, so it was really dark. We were the only ones on the road. We approached a crossroad and a white ute just try through the crossroad. Because of the dark. It seemed to come from nowhere and then disappear, so it was kind of haunting. Anyway, I hope you've enjoyed my stories. Keep up the good work. In a Yeah, if you've ever had the experience of coming across a moving car in the night, well you've got your headlights headlights on, but the other car does not have its headlights on. I find that. Ah, that is a very surprising and memorable experience.
Speaker 2: You know, this mention of Starlight Express. This is a musical that I've only ever been familiar with the name of, and it's kind of surprising because it's Andrew Lloyd Webber, of course, a huge name in musicals, and growing up I was a big fan like The Phantom of the Opera and all, you know, horror musical with some really catchy numbers. But I know virtually nothing about Starlight Express. So I pulled it up your Palmer chatting, and I was instantly instantly recognized one of the names and interet Yes, sure enough. The original West End cast from nineteen eighty four featured in the lead as Rusty ray Shell. Ray Shell played the character Shake in the Apple that we talked about in Weird House Cinema. So this was the character that it's kind of like the Devil's Number two. He's I think he's supposed to be very serpentine and at one point is in a speedo. But his very flamboyant performance. Great, great performance in the Apple.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, yeah, okay, So I didn't remember who you were talking about at first, but now I've got him pulled up. He was great in the Apple. I loved him. I want to see all the movies he's in now. And so he's in the he's in the movie version of Starlight Express.
Speaker 2: Well, right, there's a movie version, I think.
Speaker 3: So unless I'm wrong, Oh maybe I'm wrong, Maybe I am wrong. Sorry for smashing your dreams. No, you're right, it's just a musical. It's not a movie as far as I can tell.
Speaker 2: I was like, whey, is it not a movie? It seems like Andrew Lai Webber, you'd make a movie yet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Well, I would love to see this. I wish there were a movie. I'm sure I could go listen to the soundtrack, but yeah, but i'll do.
Speaker 2: I was glancing at the soundtrack and I'm like, I don't recognize any of these songs either. So this one was just completely off my radar. But again, I certainly loved some of vanrew lke Webber's work in the past.
Speaker 3: There are, wait, there are characters that I'm not understanding this. It seems like characters are trains. They're not people on a train. But there's like a character who is who is the Trans Siberian Express engine and a character who is I don't know, some other engine.
Speaker 2: Maybe this is too high concept. That's why they never made end into a movie.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, after this, I'm gonna go listen to some of the soundtrack.
Speaker 2: All right. This next one comes to us from Ian Ian says, gentlemen, great podcasts, you guys are the best, et cetera, et cetera. A short time after listening to Trains of Teror episode one, I was working at my desk while listening to ambient music, and I realized that the dark ambient album I was listening to on Spotify featured some top notch train of terror art. Look up the album Echoes by artist Eternal Dystopia to see a grim photorealistic depiction of a blackened locomotive of the damned with a single glowing red light cutting through the foggy hellscape. To me, this seemed a perfect example of the first type of train, one that isn't inherently malevolent itself, but that is certainly staffed by a crew of the dead looking for victims to ferry through the seven layers of hell.
Speaker 3: This is a very threatening looking train. It also looks like I don't see any differentiation in this artwork from the engine part of the train and the cars that follow. It just looks like infinite engine going back.
Speaker 2: You know, I should mention here that there is in the Dungeons and Dragons world of raven Loft full of domains of dread. One of the domains of dread is the Morning Rail Sirie thirteen thirteen, where the domain itself is a train. I don't know that there's been a lot created officially around it. I mean, certainly fans and creators in the Dungeons and Dragons world have worked on it, but that one was one that caught my attention a while back, and actually Dungeon mastered some at least a few encounters on this train. As I sort of envisioned it coming together.
Speaker 3: I don't know anything about raven Loft is, so that's like a different time or space setting where you'd have some technology.
Speaker 2: Well. No, the way it's come together, and these things evolve over time, is that you have these dark domains where these dark powers, unknowable entities, maybe gods, maybe something beyond God's who knows, pluck particularly evil beings out of other realms and kind of trap them in a pocket universe. And in that pocket universe they have absolute power usually but are also absolute prisoners of that realm. And so you know, inevitably you have players like popping in and out of these realms and encountering characters like Strad the Great Vampire of Dungeons and Dragons, and you know there'll be one they've gotten to the point where they have them, like one that is based on say Chinese mythology. There's another of course that has mummies in it and so forth. It's a really rich realm of dungeons and dragons in my opinion, but it too does have a cursed ghost train. Okay, anyway back to the email here. This caused me to look through my library and I quickly found a brilliant example of the second type of terror train, one that most certainly is alive and malevolent. Check out the album cover of Orgasmatron by motor Ahead. The cover features a locomotive, the front of which has transmorgrified into the band's iconic war pig mascot snaggletooth, belching smoke and fire while galloping across the darkened countryside like one of Lemmy's Juggernaut baselines. This train definitely means you harm and will a fifth of Jack Daniels while doing it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it's the mascot has got the toothy mouth open, and I'm just thinking you're gonna get a lot of bugs in there, dude.
Speaker 2: I mean, maybe it has to consume bugs, you know, cows.
Speaker 3: The cowcatcher just sort of feeds everything up into the mouth.
Speaker 2: This one is new to me. I don't know this particular Motorhead album.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know it either.
Speaker 2: Looks like the main track off of this is Death Forever, which is again not one I know. Anyway, the email continues. It didn't take long on Google to realize that there is quite the rabbit hole of album cover train art to fall down, including other solid examples of the darker subject matter such as hell Bound Train by Savoy Brown, The Coffin Train by Diamond Head, One Way Ticket to Hell and Back by the Darkness, and Swerve Driver's Last Train to Satansville. There are also many examples of the train image being used as a critique of modernity or as a shining example of the promise of that same modernity. Fair warning, there is also a stunning amount of cheesy track featuring trains. No offense Rod Stewart, but please knock it off. Take care, gents, and keep up the good work.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I don't get the Rod Stewart reference. What's the Rod Stuart train?
Speaker 2: You have to look of Rod Stewart train?
Speaker 3: Now, apparently Rod Stewart is a model train enthusiast, like he builds model trains. What's wrong with that?
Speaker 2: That's great, that's great love model trains. Yeah, I guess he had the track Downtown Train, So maybe it's that album.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, I don't know anything about that, but I can't vouch for the song, but I support anyone's model train hobby. Go for it. Make those little cities, build those tracks.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oh, I bet there's some spooky ones out there too. You generally see Christmas e ones, but there's gotta be some spooky model trains as well.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's a nice idea. You know what, I'd even venture that. I'm certain we have at least one listener. You know who you are listening. You have a model train set that is spooky in nature. Send us a picture, Send us your little spooky vista.
Speaker 2: All right, what's next? Have we gotten to the caboose yet? Or do we saw have a few train cars to go here?
Speaker 3: Joe, Oh, we got a few more. You know what, I think today is going to turn out to be all horror trains, because we're still not at the end of even these. This one is from Ryan. Ryan says Hello, Robin Joe. After the Train of Terror episodes, I had to contribute my favorite fictional example the nineteen ninety four Super Nintendo RPG Final Fantasy VIX, released as Final Fantasy three outside of Japan. It features a sequence where some of the characters unknowingly bored a ghost Train also translated phantom train that ferries departed souls to their eternal rest. The characters make their way from the caboose to the engine, fighting ghosts and other undead enemies. You can also recruit some ghosts to temporarily join your party. They are not very strong, but they can possess enemies, which kills both the enemy and the ghost. Midway through, you can eat in the dining car. One character has misgivings about the safety of the food, but it does heal the whole party. Once you reach the engine, you fight a battle against the train itself, all while your characters are shown running away in front of it. Somehow, keeping pays WHOA that's intense. Even more absurdly, one of your characters can use a move called suplex, and if you use this on the train, he will in fact grab it, leap up off of the screen, and slam it down on its quote back. The train can also be defeated by giving it an item called a phoenix down. This item revived fallen characters, which defeats the train since the train is undead. After defeating the train, it allows the characters to disembark safely at the same time, other souls board the train, including the recently departed wife and son of one of your characters, allowing them a brief final farewell as the train pulls away. It's a touching ending to what is, in many ways a rather silly segment of the game, and all the more memorable for it. Thank you for the continued entertainment, especially during October every year. Ryan, Well, thank you. Ryan. You know, somehow I'm a big fan of some of the Super Nintendo era RPGs. Some of them really were great. I've gushed on the show before about how lovely I think Crono Trigger is. But somehow I've never played the I've never in full played the Super Nintendo Final Fantasy games. I know they're supposed to be wonderful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've never played any of the Final Fantasies. I mean, over the years, I have friends and I've had friends in the past who are super endto the them, and at times I'll think maybe I should pick one up, but then I don't know which one. They keep remastering them and re releasing them, but I don't even know which which one would be ideal for me, So I'm open to suggestions. A short one, which my preference at this point in my life. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh man, Rob, have we talked about how we both like enjoy video games when we have time for them, but like increasingly just don't have space for open world games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just I need. I need something that's really on the tracks, you know, I won't like it.
Speaker 3: Like a tight, good narrative with fun gameplay. That's what I get to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, short, short game, decent amount of exploration, but a definite end of beginning and an end.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: This next one comes to us from SHANEA. Shana writes it and says, hello, y'all ask for haunted trains in horror media, how do you feel about a train possessed by a demon? I think we feel pretty good about yeah, she continues. In the anime Demon Slayer Kemetsu no Yaiba, the movie Mug and Train twenty twenty are demons slaying heroes are dispatched to investigate people disappearing on a certain train in the countryside. They discover a demon has been using the train as it's hunting ground. During the battle, the demon is able to possess the train itself, turning it into a fleshy Eldrick abomination with tentacles. I have attached a few screenshots of the flesh train. I'm looking at one right now. Yes, fleshy and terrifying. It's like the train as intestinal track.
Speaker 3: Yes. And there's one shot here where the train so you've got all this like membrane or epithelium on the outside of the train and then running over top. It is like a buff guy with a pig's head. Yes, okay, I would want him slaying demons for me.
Speaker 2: And then there's more as You're rights Demons or Kamitsu Nouyaiba is a very popular anime manga that takes place during the Taisho Era between nineteen fifteen and nineteen twenty six. The Taisho era was a time of rapid change in Japan as Western culture and technology continue to spread into the country. The anime sometimes deals directly with this cultural change, and the point of a demon feeding on humans by taking possession of a train seems quite on point. As always loved the show Shame.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wonder how this interacts with the Japanese ghost train examples we talked about in the episode with the It was the Tanuki trains, right Yeah, the Tanuki, the wild Tanuki would morph into the shape of a train, but then if you stopped believing in it, then it would the train would stop appearing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's kind of like natural, this conflict occurring between the natural world of the tanukis and the modern world of the train.
Speaker 3: All right, well, I think we're out of time for today. It's a shame. We've got a lot more great messages to get to. We'll have to save them for next time. But Carney the mailbot is really trying to move us along. He is insisting that we practice putting on our masks right now and we won't mess it up on the big night. So we're gonna have a little practice session with Carney here, and we will see you again soon. We will have more seasonal stuff for you on Thursday of this week, and then also on Friday with our Weird House Cinema episode.
Speaker 2: That's right, Yeah, we have more Halloween episodes to come here before October thirty first. And oh and I'm also supposed to pass along that we have a new Halloween themed T shirt and our t shirt shop over at Tea Public. You can find a link to the store on the Good to Stuff to Blowrmind dot com and you can find over. You have to search for it. It's not very apparent, but there is somewhere in all of that link to our shop. I think our instagram STBUI and podcast, which you should follow if you're on Instagram. I believe our link tree also goes to this shop, so it's a little hidden, but we do have some merch there, various designs that have accumulated over the years, and they just added a new one that has like an orange and black version of the logo and you can try it on different short colors. You know, it's gonna work better with some than others, but we have some Halloween options in there if you were so inclined.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 2: Just a reminder that Stuff to Blow Your Mind is primarily a science and culture podcast with core episodes on Tuesdays and Thursdays and on Fridays. We set aside most serious concerns and just talk about a weird film on Weird House Cinema, and yes, we did talk about a train movie. Earlier this month we talked about Horror Express, which was a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, huge. Thanks as always to our excellent audio producer JJ Posway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest a topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app. Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.