Speaker 1: You here with Lo Russell. You're tuned in. I'm on the Bootleg Care Podcast. You know what's going on.
Speaker 2: About to get into another interview brought to you by my Bookie. It's holiday season. That means Bowl games, NBA, n Season tournament, NFL all going down. Let's make this money right now. If you sign up at my bookie and use my promo code Bootleg, claim your deposit match that's right, put a deposit in up two thousand dollars. They're gonna match it. My bookie dot ag promo code is Bootleg. Let's get to the interview. Bootleg Care Podcast Special guests here. The Russell's in the building. Ah, we've at He needs no introduction. The man who's changing the music game. In my opinion, little by little, it's working. I just saw Dizzy Wright post something today about how he just dropped his project and like two hundred fans supported it. I think on the same platform you're using even And the crazy thing is is he showed the stream equivalent see and that to me, I think is like I think it was like in his first day, it was like the money he made was like one point four million streams worth of money. Right, which is crazy because you know, these companies are fun.
Speaker 1: You know, it's a tough topic because they're not fucking everyone. Like streaming is an extra revenue.
Speaker 2: But people are treating it like it's the main one.
Speaker 1: Is that fair exactly? And that's the issue. It's like, bro, they really created something revolutionary. Like I'm I'm grateful for streaming. I get paid monthly off some ship that I typically would you feel me, but it's like I get people to scribbed. But it's like, man, they were trying to do something and they did do something innovative and game changing. It's like, we didn't tell all these niggas to give up. They made sources of revenue.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we didn't tell you how to stop selling to do that collectively randomly.
Speaker 1: It's like, bro, why aren't you selling your fucking music because you don't have real fan just like you would sell a T shirt or the other product, you should be selling your music too.
Speaker 2: You know. I just had to talk with Queen Niger who's up here. She's on a major label, and I was like, yo, you got like a vinyl, you know, tape or anything or She's like, nah, actually should talk to the label about that. I'm like, you got like real fans, You'll sell a thousand of those.
Speaker 1: Week, real fans, Like what are we doing?
Speaker 2: Like it is crazy though, because like you said, like I saw somebody was it. It might have been you, or it might have been somebody had just brought up the idea of using streaming as a commercial for your music and taking it off like Yo, you'll see how crazy my alm is for a month, but then it's gone. Now you got to go buy it, which is kind of like the opposite of what you know, I think people will be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I don't. I don't think you have to neglect the market, like leave your shit on streaming, but allow people who want to purchase your product to purchase it from you too. You feel me like, you don't have to. You don't have to like revolt against something and take all your shit away because you're stealing revenue from yourself. You're not hurting.
Speaker 2: You're stealing from your yeah, because they're not going nowhere. Yeah, and also you're hurting your opportunity to be discovered marketing.
Speaker 1: Streaming is a form of marketing. It's like you throw all of your ship in a pool and someone may pick that ship up to where now. They want to spend money with you. They want to go to your shows. They want to buy merse, they want to buy whatever you got to offer. They want to buy stock, they want to buy gold cards. Like you're streaming. Its just marketing that you get paid for.
Speaker 2: Right, that's fair. So give me a what's the update with you? Man? I haven't seen you since I was at your house, which was yeah, it was hot outside. I just remember that it was hot as ship.
Speaker 1: That was a great show too.
Speaker 2: It was an amazing show. You had shooter again. Cony out there. What was the sixteen year old kid's name of Molly? He was?
Speaker 1: He came out.
Speaker 2: Here, Yeah, so far him. His dad came he school.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah. Shout out to Modesta, necessary man, shout out merced.
Speaker 2: Mer said, Modesta said, God, damn it. No, not the same, not the same. Somewhere over there kind of over there. They're not too far from each other. They are they are they far? Wait no, no wait, modestos like man, these little California cities confuse me.
Speaker 1: But no, it was.
Speaker 2: It was a special day, man. It was really dope. Your dad was making food, your mom was getting me high. I got to check out just like your office and your at home studio and how you kind of schedule your social media post with your team. It was just it was an inspiring situation because everybody I brought with me at some point in time are the artist orre you know, my producer he was shooting, but he also was an artist in uh, a beat maker and engineer. So it was just dope for everybody to see. Like, there's another way.
Speaker 1: Right that I love the backyard s soulds because you get this se so many creatives in motion, not just my team, it'd be other niggas filming an interviews and podcasts. Just like it's a pool of creativity that you get the witness.
Speaker 2: And I think, uh a TV show was there that day, one of the big networks or.
Speaker 1: What it was CNN, CNN Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was dope, man. But what's what So obviously you've been killing it. I've been seeing a lot of your uh you know since since then, I've watched you on a bunch of platforms talking about the movement. But what is the latest? What's going on with the Russell Man?
Speaker 1: Uh man? Then so much the cot right, it's a ton of ship. The compound is something I'm really excited about. We're building like an artist, creative and wellness center. So it got to merch the g production facility, editing Bay, editing lab. I'm building like a live venue inside of a file intimate shows, like a hundred cap low key ship. And then we got the content studio that we're moving over from our shop. And then our old shot were turned into like a creative hub that our network would be able to rent and utilize and creative needs. Oh yeah, Nigga's just building.
Speaker 2: So people are gonna be able to, like, if they want to put music out, if they want to get a video done, they could go. You can. Got to be one stop shop if I need to get my merch ran right.
Speaker 1: It's a one stop shop. But it's not like it's for network, Like I'm building infrastructure. So when I find artists like Chante's over there, someone new that we're helping cultivate, and she's like incredible. So when I find artists that I really love, it's just like it's easy to integrate them into a system and we start seeing the following grow immediately and we just know what to do. So we built all the infrastructure so we don't have to take someone there there, there, there there to get the result.
Speaker 2: It's crazy because it's I you know, I feel like Russ was the og guy who was like telling the truth to rappers, but they were like, Russ is a dick, right, I feel like your message has been a lot more palatable. Right, You've inspired. I'm sure people you don't even know you've inspired at.
Speaker 1: This man should be crazy like big Artist.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about superstars. I'm sure because your content is being digested.
Speaker 1: Bro, the labels use my blueprint, like if there's there's there's not too many officers who don't know who I am and what I'm doing and telling their and.
Speaker 2: They all hate on you. Listen, can I be honest with you?
Speaker 1: Please?
Speaker 2: All of these industry guys because I bring your name up all the time, they are hating on you, right, I'm telling you. They all say to say, yeah, but but he ain't got like us like I had, like what's where's the music? And I'm like, what like this happens? This? I promise you that a version of that conversation happened that. You know.
Speaker 1: What's crazy too, is like and I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: People people in the city.
Speaker 1: I have to man, I got I know, I got tons of songs, and like the the difference is the amount of money that you're able to put behind a record. Like niggas don't understand. Niggas beyond on label deals and then contracts. And I got a million followers and made millions of dollars and they haven't. But niggas are talking about all you ain't got to hit, Well, you do, and you still don't have what I have. You feel me like that shit. Don't be making sense of adding ego. It's ego. It's because they can't do it, so they go resort to that. I had someone I was talking to someone from a label and I was telling them, like, we're about to scale to this next level. He was like, man, I think if you just kind of you, if you work on the music side, YadA YadA. And I was just like, do you hear the shit that's blowing up? There's not one artist right now who can make or do that little dance a family business some of these songs I've made. It's like, Nigga, do you hear what we talk? There's no rap artists who's doing what the fuck I'm doing? And you niggas talking about some music to me with all the stupid shit we hear blowing up, It's like, y'all, y'all are insane. In the whole industry is like delusionaling faking it. These niggas don't like these songs that's being pushed and that's on the radio and that's getting exposed. They don't listen to them in their car. They don't listen to them at home, you feel me. But everybody's rallying behind this ship and acting like we we we Really, it's just weird. And it's because everyone has a job, right And that's what I've learned.
Speaker 2: So all of the people were talking about are employed exactly, and it is in their best interest to keep their conveoyment status put whatever it comes across the conveyor.
Speaker 1: By autonomy this long Like Bro was just saying before he walked out, He's like, man, you've been holding out, and it's like, I haven't even been holding out. I'm just unimpressed.
Speaker 2: That's fair. I mean, I do appreciate the transparency that you've provided to a lot of artists because you brought up that rock Nation meeting that you had, and I had similar meeting with with rock Nation. Didn't get it quite as far as you, but with my artists, and then I've heard two or three other people say similar shit. And when people don't know, you could just take the name rock Nation out of it, because I got home over there, any label. That's the conversation that's happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 2: The terms are always against you, Like for the man, it's very tough. It's very tough to I've.
Speaker 1: Yet to get a deal from a major that made me feel great. I've yet to get an offer from.
Speaker 2: How many offers have you gotten? If you had a you know, throw a number out north of north of fifteen, north of ten for.
Speaker 1: Sure, I'd say about ten, seven to ten.
Speaker 2: I mean that's that's about all of them.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, it's man, and they're they're never impressive. They're never impressive. It's like, I don't know, they just don't get it. They they lack the ability to understand what's coming and what's next or what's happening. And I'm someone who they got terms in a contract like man, the last contract we got, we was all in the airport and we was reading through it, and I was putting like t and splash on game. This is what this means. This is what this means, and it's a lot shit in the contract that's like for a developing artist and shit. And it's like, y'all don't even take the time and the due diligence to make a contract based on who you're doing business with.
Speaker 2: Ye're like, you guys didn't even like this is a standard deal that you're going to offer ten other people at the very least, let me read something in here that makes you think like, oh, they're offering a russell a deal.
Speaker 1: Bro. I had a deal that wanted to take I think it was sixteen or eighteen percent of my entertainment income.
Speaker 2: And what does that mean? Like, how do they even define that.
Speaker 1: All money is from entertainment? So all money is from entertainment, which is which is great, but not live show entertainment. More so, it's like if you end up doing like a war TV, yeah right, anything you're making entertainment. And it's like, I've been making money in entertainment way before Niggain offered me a deal. So it's like to come and tell someone you want a percent of that it's just like unjustifiable for what but what you intend to provide. Like, I've already broken myself as an artist, and this next year is gonna go even crazy. I've been cracking more colds. Whereas like, oh, nigga, it's.
Speaker 2: A there's even deals where labels will want a piece of if you start a clothing line while you're signed, yep, that they can somehow figure out was from the music they want a piece of. It just happened to a friend of mine who Avenue my Boys got a really big clothing line. I mean it's huge. He had signed a deal probably twenty twelve, twenty thirteen, and there was actually a discussion that he might have to give up some of his clothing line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I understand some of the terms for an artist that you take from nothing, who like no one knows this nigga, And all of a sudden.
Speaker 2: Everywhere, those people aren't getting deals.
Speaker 1: Though, I under they're getting three they are are they they just getting three? They're getting it. It's an all encompassing deal because they're making they're making your brand. But to take a nigga who's coming in, who's already selling out shows and selling tickets and selling stock and say, oh, we want this. It's just like you're fucking insane. You don't even have an artist on your roster. That's at the level that I'm at. But you want those things.
Speaker 2: So there are situations in which you could see a three sixty deal benefiting artist.
Speaker 1: I think a three sixty deal is hyper beneficial if you're a businessman, like if you because every artist don't have streaming, but some of us. I did half a million on my own shows last year, not counting outside performances. I do half a million on merch So if you're able to leverage those things in exchange for capital outside of the streaming, I don't think that's a bad deal. I think that's a great If you go partner with anyone and you say, hey, I love your business, I want to percent I put all this money up, it's not a bad thing. That's what every fucking startup company, tech company does. I think it's a bad thing when it's like when you don't give a nigga the amount of funds to actually build it, or the infrastructure and resource to actually build it, and you're just gonna take it.
Speaker 2: It's a little it's different it's a little more's a.
Speaker 1: Little off putting. Or if you if it's someone who's already established all this shit and you're not giving them the means of capital to excel it, but you want to take it. It's just like, bro, you got to contribute to get out of that shit.
Speaker 2: I heard did you ever see the Lyric Cohen interview he explained the three sixty deal. Yeah, so he kind of explained it is. If you and I start a restaurant together and I'm the investor, and you start taking the sauce that's popping and selling it a Walmart, do I get a piece of the sauce? And I understood it from that an And like you said, like, if you're an artist who doesn't have a cult following, doesn't have a brand, doesn't really have anything going, maybe a little TikTok moment, maybe it is worth it.
Speaker 1: It makes so much sense.
Speaker 2: You're diving into the machine. Yo. You'll get on the other side of that deal eventually.
Speaker 1: And that it'll help you recoup faster. It'll help because product selles way faster than music, right, so you'll be able to recoup and be out your situation some way faster. If it aligns like I said, if someone's helping you build all those revenues, Like if you don't have a merch business going and someone says, oh, I'll help you make a million dollars in merch, Yeah, I think they should. If you're that shit standard for every nigga that comes in this office, you just offer it to them. It's like like some of my issues with some of the deals I got is like I'll give a proposal, now ask what I want, and I'll get the contract back, and it's a bunch of shit that we didn't even discuss. It's like, you don't you don't just throw something in a nigga contract without it's.
Speaker 2: Like a political bill, Like they'd be like, yo, they'd be throwing down so much shit into these bills that are supposed to be about something else, and you were like really readly, like wait, what, we're fucking what right now? That's the real shit. It's crazy because I do feel like, you know, if there's anybody who can kind of lead a real change in renaissance into how this is thought of, I think it's you, man, because I've seen I'm seeing it. I saw Curtis King post his ship from even what is Even?
Speaker 1: So, even as a an all incompassant platform, eventually it's going to grow to an artist hub.
Speaker 2: Are you part of it? Yeah, I'll have equity in Okay, so you have equity and even Yeah, I've been seeing people poster the very first even with Spotify recaps this is what I did.
Speaker 1: Hilarious. Yeah, man, even as an all encompassant platform for artists, like, we just give artists the ability to monetize and sell their music if they don't have their own situations. Some some artists don't have a Shopify set up or or just want to have a website and all that shit, and Even makes it easy for the fans to come support and buy your music directly from you.
Speaker 2: What's the plate? So my whole thing with the with the third party ship, right is we're so conditioned to play music on certain apps. So if I buy an album on Even.
Speaker 1: It's set up just like Spotify.
Speaker 2: It's in app stream, so I'll download the Even app on my phone.
Speaker 1: Right, it's web based, so it's not eventually get that because that's that for as a fan for fan experience purposes, right, that's what you want, you want to be able to be like, oh cool, I got my Even library of all the.
Speaker 2: Ship I've supported.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely what I mean. And I believe he built a web based based off like data that people were still kind of going online for a specific.
Speaker 2: That's kind of the next thing.
Speaker 1: And it's like Even was really built from the dirt a year ago. Like I just did the very first launch last year when I did a hundred thousand on that album. That was the first anybody's heard of it in existence, and I campaign the whole proud to pay offer. But like, this ship was built from the dirt, and in one year we've gotten Omarion's and Dizzy Rights and a bunch of major labels are on boarding now, Like the majors are going to EVEN so they can run their upcoming artists.
Speaker 2: Th're like, because yeah, I was. I feel like if I was an upcoming artist, I would want to have that option, Like is that when we get worked into my deal, We're like, yo, I want to be able to you guys might get a cut of this, but I want to be able to sell my shit for maybe the first.
Speaker 1: Made a lot of artists. When you're going into the major system, it's so different because it's very hard to sell music that you don't own.
Speaker 2: It is straight up very hard, right, Yo, Can you give me some insight on like how influential Nipsy has been because Nipsey was kind of the first guy to get to pay.
Speaker 1: Pioneer Nipsy is the reason I decided to start doing Proud to Pay, and I feel like I revolutionized it another tier by doing offer base. So I started with Proud to Pay. I was riding my bike and I was like thinking about nips hundred dollars album, and I was like, man, how can I do this? But in a way that's conducive to my people, because I didn't know too many niggas who wore pay a huntred for an album. So I was like, I'm just gonna let niggas pay whatever, because if I make one dollar over zero, then I won, right. So I started doing pay what you want and I want, and I end up doing a live show that was paying what you want and I made less than I projected. But I noticed that people don't want to pay a certain amount at the door because it's hell of people around. So typically some niggas would give me a rack a hundred, but you don't want to do that at the door with people behind you. So I end up creating offer base. When I start doing my backyard, I was like, let's start doing offer base because I can't. I can't set a ticket price on this experience. Like you came to the backyard. We had shows with side of there and different people come out, So it's like, how can I say this? Man, I can't say this a twenty dollars ticket, a five I'll tell you thirty dollars. None of that makes sense to me. So I'm like, you tell me what you think this experience is worth. And all I could do is say yes or no for this one? You feel me?
Speaker 2: And was it hard to figure out the back end of the offer base thing because I've never seen like any website offer something.
Speaker 1: No, it was new with the technology was completely new, Like I got with my partner Brima. He created a a ticketing site called What's TBA that just sold regular tickets and when I came, I was like, man, I got this idea. I need to build a tech behind it so I could do my shows a certain way. And we just started this last year. Like I said, I did half a million on what's TVA offer base shows last year.
Speaker 2: I think that's the future if you're smart.
Speaker 1: Man, it's the present and going for exactly you, especially when you when you have a real live show and a real live experience and something like me where you get to holler at me and talk to me and I'm around, Like when you know what it Eventually it gets to the point where people stop offering you look like people are just like I know what I'm getting and I know what this shit is worth and what it means to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Like if certain artists who are like a certain level end up taking that and running with it, it's.
Speaker 1: Gone clean up, clean up.
Speaker 2: I can think of like a guy like you know, I always you always hear a couple of names, Drake, Kendrick, Like if they ever decided to go independence clean up, it would break the music and clean up. Like if Drake decided to be like you know.
Speaker 1: No of the labels are pissing their pins, he would break the music industry. Yeah forever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean right now, there's a lot of slow work towards.
Speaker 1: But that's they know that, which is why they're okay running him had a quarter billion and plug because they know they know like he's he's he's responsible for saving the industry at a specific time, so they know.
Speaker 2: Ye're like and I think guys like the Weekend, like the Weekend's team, his infrastructure that isn't the label, just his team is so on point, I'm like, Yo, at what point can the label do anyth even write you a fucking check?
Speaker 1: That? And that's eventually it gets to that point, And I honestly and truly feel like I'm getting to that point now, like after this run I'm about to have in twenty twenty four, at the point, there's not much they could do. But it's even now the offers I get is like, y'all gotta you can only run a check and what you should want to when you see a nigga already got a business completely established and built, all you want to do is get a cut because you don't have.
Speaker 2: To do I don't have to do anything.
Speaker 1: They don't you and said, oh, you got a piece of spot, let me just give you some brand and give me a percent, so a win.
Speaker 2: Definitely don't have a pizza spot officially publicly, but maybe soon. Yeah, it'll be an int I was like a random You know, I do have a nightclub. It's very successful in Scotts.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, shout out to my business partners. That perfect example we try to get people to invest. It was it's just three of us and everybody who said no within the first month were like, hey, can we get in? And I'm like, fuck no, right, Like Ryan Cardi B And Meek Milling. Everybody's like, yo, right, look if you guys still need a second phase of money, I'm like, noah, we're good now.
Speaker 1: Like everybody don't see it. Everybody don't see it.
Speaker 2: And that is the main thing I think that you're a testament of bro is because these conversations I'm telling you about that I've had with people, they don't see it, and they don't get it, and they're they're oblivious to Like all you gotta do is see it, that's all. And people are you know, if you believe in what you're doing and you're sure of it, and you got good people around you who aren't yes men. Fuck if somebody who don't like fu fuck with what some A and R things, fuck with some label executive things like make.
Speaker 1: Them see your vision, it'd be tough. It'd be tough, and.
Speaker 2: That's easier said than done, right.
Speaker 1: Man, it's tough to to to stay down because you get offered these sums and you want to go. But it, man, you really got to stick to like and.
Speaker 2: You gotta have a work as The other thing is major label might be for you if you're lazy. Yeah, I think the major work ethic is insane.
Speaker 1: I think the majors are necessary because there there are some artists that are just insanely talented, but they don't have the the care or desire to do all the other shit to make sure that to get their hands really dirty. I think they're labeled. And that's just even for a nigga like me. Like, if we find the right label with the right deal, I'm gone because I'm already gone. It's like I'm not on a major and I'm on every major platform and niggas, it's.
Speaker 2: Got to be the right deal though.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: What up y'all, bootleg keV here shout out to our family at Imperial Extraction. Listen right now, a free two gram free roll of that za of that loud of that gas can get right to your door delivered for free. Now, this is what's dope about Imperial. Let me tell you, man, the thing about Imperial is they got sixteen years of experience when it comes to this West Coast cannabis space, and recently they just got into the hep scene. Now what is the heap scene? That means that it's legal. It's gonna get delivered right to your door, federally legal. It ships to your door, no issues. And this is what also is dope about it. It's still gonna get you high. It's gonna get you blown, just like that traditional cannabis. It's that tha c A. Look, they got so much stuff going on. This is the THHCP Enhanced Live resin. You can get your cards there. They got all the flavors boom boom. Most importantly, whatever you do Imperial, make sure you go to their website because look, Imperial Extraction dot Com. If you go to that website and you use that promo code boot Leg, you're gonna get hooked up with a free two grand pre roll right now, Imperial Extraction dot Com, get yourself. I've been smoking these for about three weeks now, and man, I love them and they definitely get me elevated. Man. And this what's dope about these. Let me show y'all just real quick. If you guys don't know Imperial Extraction, let's pop one open because this is what's getting delivered to your house for free. Remember in Peril Extraction dot com promo code bootleg at checkout. Look at that thing, man, it's a two grand pre roll with the glass tip premium Thchca and it's got the diamond infused joints and heat buss this thing open. There's a little diamonds in there. Broh, It's crazy, all right. It comes with one and a half grams of that top shell flower, half a grammar of the pure Thhca diamonds and it's free. Yeah. So go to the promo code bootleg at Imperial Extraction dot com and trust me when I say you will not regret it. Shout out to Imperial Extraction. Also want to give a shout out to our good folks at blue Choo. That's right, salute to the family at blue Choo. Make sure you head on over to bluetoo dot com use that promo code bootleg right now. You don't know blue Choo's where it's at. They're getting you situated real nicely when it comes to your penis, you're Johnson your cock. Ugh, that's a weird Wait who says cock? I don't know. Nonetheless, if you're dealing with the rectile dysfunction, if you're dealing with a little anxiety, little stress, and you're not up to parum when it comes to performance, Look, you need to put your best step forward when it comes to your dick game. You know what I'm saying. So what you need to do is code to blue Cheo dot com. Use the promo code Bootleg right now. They're gonna give you a month supply for free. Now, if you're watching this you don't know about Blue che let me explain same exact active ingredient as viagrant and sialis in a chewable form, delivered to your door discreetly. Yes, no doctor's appointments, none of that. It's all online. You don't have to worry about going and sitting in an office and waiting to go get your dick pills. No, listen, by the way, these aren't dick pills. These are This is a chewable you know what I'm saying. Let's just be clear, there's a difference. This is much better um Bluechoo dot com promo code Bootleg months supply for free, delivered to your door discreetly, all online. That's what we're doing. Man, same active ingredients, viagrant ciaalis Man, get your dick right. All right, let's get back to the interview. You did do a one off with Russ, which I thought was awesome. We talked about this a bit in the vlog we did when I went to your house. For people who don't know, who didn't see that vlog, you who did a one one deal album with Russ. You were still dropping tons and tons and tons because Russ is the most artist friendly guy ever and he just wanted to be down, you know. But he had gone on his tour and he had offered you to come and open on the tour and you turned that down. Yeah, most people would hear that. I think me and Hovan talked about it when it happened. God rest havain, so rest of peace for my brother. Most people would love to go on a tour with Russ and open up because he's doing like Arenas and like amphitheaters and stuff at that moment. Because this was two three years ago one so yeah, so this was two years ago. Yeah, this was the shape the snow globe. Yeah, most people would jump at that opportunity. I know why you didn't do it. I kind of want you to explain, because you've built so much since then, but I want you to explain why you passed on that opportunity.
Speaker 1: Man, it would have took me away from home, and I was building something I really really really believed in at home, and I knew that, yeah, you know, and I knew the opportunity to go on tour would circle back, and I didn't. I didn't. I didn't really want to go on tour and get a salary like I could go do shows and make my own paper. So I really just wanted to stay home and build. And I end up building the backyard residency in the perglet, and that shit ended up making me, I mean ten x what I would have generated on that tour and new fans, new meeting, new everything, you feel me. So I'm happy I stayed home.
Speaker 2: It was because you would have got new fans that way, but you, I don't know if you would have gotten the amount of like super engaged fans that you got by just doing.
Speaker 1: And the cultural like it's just the backyard is different, you know, like the backyard is different than what what I'm doing in terms of culture, Like you go on my comments and you see the buster rhymes and the ogs in there because they know what's so like, we ain't seeing hip hop look like this in a minut in it.
Speaker 2: And I think one of the last times you might as all look like this probably was in your area. I feel like where I think of Independence Show, I think of Texas, I think of no Limit, and I think of the bay out the trunk. You know what I'm saying. For sure? Uh is your house because this is your your family's house, This is the house that you know, you grew up in. At what point in time does your fame does your home become inhabitable because of how popular you are? Because for people who don't know your house is in it's in a normal neighborhood. There's no like crazy, there's no security, there's right, it's just your house. This is a normal house that you grew up in Leo, California. There's a stage in the backyard there. I mean, your parents are there. You got to get to a point where is it you're gonna end up moving out of the house, or getting the parents out of there, renting it out, or has it not gotten there yet I doubt.
Speaker 1: I mean, we don't know how big is gonna be. Drake hasn't come to the backyard just yet, you know when Drake. And but as of right now, as of right now, no, we good man, my house is protected. And it's like, I'm really from where I'm from, Like this is my home. I walk every day around the block and everybody like, I'm from there. I hooped there, I play tennis my daughter, like I'm I'm home.
Speaker 2: No, I know, I get it. I get it. But like again, if once you get to a certain point, you're just gonna have random people finding the band being like, yo, let's go drive by the Russell's house and yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: We had a nigga come in from Buffalo and it was his first time ever being on the plane and he was like, man, I just had to come see it and see if it was real. So yeah, it's like, did he knock on the door. No, he just kind of jove passed and said, I think he ended up messaging us because he had brought like some merchs. And I went outside and I hollered at him, and I was like, man, this isn't okay, But I fuck with you when I see I get it. I understand, Like, man, I'm a human, and I know how I feel to have somebody that really changed your life. Like this man was in his thirties and it was his first time ever getting on a flight because he was like, I have to.
Speaker 2: That's a crazy flight, Buffalo, that's it. There's no direct flight. You don't no direct flight. You had a layover.
Speaker 1: You feel me? So I understand that that energy. And when I was growing up in a v I never seen nobody famous, Like, I never seen anyone who made it where I was like, I get to witness you know, I didn't. I didn't get that experience. So when I be mobbing around, I'm outside like I get it.
Speaker 2: I understand crocs endorsement happened.
Speaker 1: Yet it's on the way.
Speaker 2: They got it.
Speaker 1: Man, it's on the way.
Speaker 2: Are you still hanging under Android you are? Huh?
Speaker 1: Come on, man, it's on the way.
Speaker 2: It's on the way, yo. And Samsung fucking take care of this guy, right, he's got the green bubbles all day, right real. So I wanted to ask you because I'd love to see a couple of things. One, I think we have a mutual friend who I talked to today is one of my friends and music industry Simba, who I love dearly, and you know he's he's in the major label machine, you know as he is. So I don't know how easy or hard or difficult it is for you guys to drop a real project together, but I've heard that being floated around. I feel like when I think about the two guys, not just in the bay, I'm talking about this music period where I'm just like, man, we're in good hands. It's you and him at the top of that list. Was that something you guys have talked about?
Speaker 1: Is that something that not really uh not really, we don't need me and Simba, Like hell of a Feeling is like our first song together. Like we worked on some shit prior, but it wasn't nothing. We both loved. Hell of a Feeling was our first track together. We never really anytime we link, we don't do music like we really hang and chop it up where he'll come to the backyard and we rap, like, man, that's the dope thing about Like ro I fuck with Nigga. You gotta be human with me, Like, like Coney is one of my best friends, and it's like we come. We don't even do music to get We just wrapped and hang and chill and talk about life.
Speaker 2: I think Simba two has got an understanding of a lot of things out like that at a high level that most artists don't in terms of like branding, in terms of like how he speaks, in terms of like when he goes on platforms. I think he sometimes he'll approach an interview like it's an album.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Simba, Simba's simbas uh smarter than a lot of a lot of the niggas in the game. Like he's just more strategic and calculated. He understands, what.
Speaker 2: About you doing an album nothing but Pilo Beats.
Speaker 1: It's coming, Well, be talking about that for the past two years, So yeah, that's that has.
Speaker 2: To happen, right because dog listen you you you over just Pelo Beats for a whole project.
Speaker 1: Right and then be a moment too, for the for the for the home team, man, And that.
Speaker 2: Will shut up some of the the you know, the Bay Area gatekeepers.
Speaker 1: Against I won't even shout him. There's nothing that could shut them up. It's like I made baggage claim and the whole world that shit was going viral for months, tens twenty like that, nothing to shut them up? You know, that just doesn't happen. I've reached a million followers independently and I've never bought a follower. There is nothing that could shut these people up because they don't know nothing. I don't buy streams everything. I have organic, authentic growth.
Speaker 2: Are you still so for people who don't know, who maybe are just heard of you watching this, you have a situation with your albums where well, one what I love that you do is you take care of your team. So if someone shoots a video, if you do a full project with you know, your producer, you're cutting the team in the on the on the equity on the album. Right, are you still doing that in terms of like fans being able to say, man, I want to get.
Speaker 1: A cut sell stock every month and is that stock?
Speaker 2: Walk me behind the business behind that? Because for people who don't know, there's a there is a platform that's called distro kid right where you're able to upload your music, uh and then split the music, which is an easy way for you to pay Featured artists, writers, producers, management, whatever, Right, so are you distributing the stock it gets purchased and then do you go in on is a distro kid?
Speaker 1: I don't use distro kid anymore. Like the technical capability wasn't there for the level that I was doing it at. So I currently use a command shift and video and I just started I heard a video. I just started rocking with two loss as well there back in.
Speaker 2: Yeah I heard video is dope.
Speaker 1: Yeah, video is great. Command shift is great.
Speaker 2: And these are distroal companies that are similar to like tone Cord.
Speaker 1: These are distribution companies and.
Speaker 2: They have the same type of technology but at a larger scale.
Speaker 1: Man, that that been my thing, Like, man, there's other dealings that we were trying to do, but it didn't align because they didn't have a split system. And to me, it's like, if I can't split the money and control my own backing in to see where my shit going and when I want to pay somebody, that's a red flag. It just doesn't.
Speaker 2: It's also if you don't have the split system set up and you're a distro company, I mean how I mean Tunecore had to do it.
Speaker 1: Right eventually, right, Tone Core didn't do it for a lot.
Speaker 2: They didn't do it for a long time.
Speaker 1: They had to do it understood.
Speaker 2: That's like, well shit, I mean because they changed the game.
Speaker 1: But you're a destroying you don't have one. You're encouraging people to steal money from other collaborators and artists.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you might not even want to do it on purpose, especially because there's different angles of that. But let's say you're an artist, just the idea of like maybe you have management that's supposed to handle the splits, and you know, it's just things get lost in the win if you could just set up the splits and it's just locked in.
Speaker 1: Man, I just started using two losses Portal recently, and I gotta go higher at them because they got it set up to where you submit the release then you enter the split, and I'm just gonna tell them the same thing, like you're going to encourage people to be able to monetize their art before they start paying their collaborators, Like you're not you shouldn't be able to submit the release until everybody is kind of.
Speaker 2: And because not not you, not me, but a lot of artists, a lot of people. It's like human nature that like, once you see that money come in, you're.
Speaker 1: Like, well, it's tough.
Speaker 2: But but what I'm saying is like, if you've just set up the switch from the jump and whatever money you're getting is the money all you need to exactly, and then you're like, cool, you know what I mean. But if you get the whole pie, and you're like, man, you know, some people are hard trying to be a little a little cheaper, right right.
Speaker 1: Naturally, that's a human thing.
Speaker 2: You don't do necessarily touring. You do shows, yeah I do. Sometimes you'll just pop up and be like I have showed it in too.
Speaker 1: So that's what special about this year coming up because I'm doing touring in a non traditional way. I'm doing residencies in different cities. So during the you know, spring and winter, we're gonna be in venues, and then when the summer come, I'm finding different backyards in each of these cities where we could do our things.
Speaker 2: Still, any La LA is on the list when you're gonna do a residency in the city, how many shows in the year, how many shows per city. Let's say, La, what do we do four or five? Three?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Like six, six? Okay, you just need to find a spot. Yep, this is the way people fuck. I mean, like shot promoters, But why would you pay a promoter if you could promote yourself, just rent the venue.
Speaker 1: Because a lot of niggas can't promote themselves, and a lot of niggas don't even promote their own shows.
Speaker 2: This is true. They're really worried about social media aesthetic.
Speaker 1: Right, they don't want to look a certain way.
Speaker 2: Hey, bro, that is the biggest pet peeve I have with artists when they're so worried about the aesthetic of how their page looks that they won't even promote their own ship.
Speaker 1: Right. That happens, and it just kind of it is like, Bro, you probably don't love what you made. Like if you don't want to tell people, hey, I made this ship, you probably don't really enjoy what you made.
Speaker 2: You've you a great team. You guys have come up with a system in terms of the way you will repurpose content, Like if you go do an interview, if you go, you know, this will be repurposed to do.
Speaker 1: Hey, you see yours for the next six seven months.
Speaker 2: Whether it's a freestyle or you know, you guys shoot a backyard performance that ends up, you know, living on your ig on YouTube shorts whatever. But you you guys have a real uh on purpose method of how you schedule your post every day, what kind of post it is, what time of day you post. Break that down, because I think if people saw the way you run your content, it's very inspiring. And I think you just don't have to be late, like if you're not lazy, Like there's like you just got to keep on throwing shots into the algorithm, right like.
Speaker 1: Man, we're just curating a channel. So I remember when we first started, I had a bunch of live sessions already because we used to do the Good Company live sessions, so I was posting hell of those. And then I started doing interviews, so I'm like, all right, now we need to integrate interviews. And then we started doing shows, and let's let's integrate show footage and then like now we'll have like real life moments like I'm just hooping, like the other day I shot the ball from the roof, and it's like, okay, that's integrate those four different types of contents so you can see me four times a day in a different way, so you're able to become a fan in a different facet and you know, posted every few hours. It's just like if you have it. And we toned it back like we usually have so much, and me and Tieta sat and I was like, all right now, let's let's let's hone it down. Let's only post the pieces that were like, man, this just made people. And then we got to that point and it was like, okay, now let's lock it down even more. Only poster one that.
Speaker 2: We look at each other because at a certain point in time, was it four or five times a day? Yeah? Like six five r six, Because I do think like there's a couple of things like like everyone will have an excuse why they don't have content to shoot and and I don't. I don't buy it anymore because I got homies who are making six figures in their life off of their phone, off of whatever app. But you do have you do have a team. You have to you up to you. You have a team at this point. But it wasn't always like that, right, But for you, what is like the practical solution for an artist who has two thousand monthly listeners, who just is putting out records trying to follow you know, I think a lot of artists will see the path you take. The path Russ takes the path that a lot of artists take in terms of throwing up shots. Throwing up shots and they kind of feel like they're it's just not working at a certain point in time. The music has to be good, right, People have to buy into you at a certain point in time, and there has to be that.
Speaker 1: That'd be my thing with the industry when niggas be talking about all they hitting the music, because I'm like, you think I got to a million followers organically if I don't have, you think these niggas come to my backyard so every single time and singing every lyric without the mew. They don't know the livercs to your artists song.
Speaker 2: Right, we don't know what the fuck he's saying, But I was gonna say the practicality of like that struggling up and coming artists who when they think of content, it breaks their brain and they think of like because a lot of people you have to be good at Instagram. You have to be good at like like for whatever reason. Like people can respect it or not respect it. It's a talent to like really understand how to cut up a piece of content how to know.
Speaker 1: For some there's so many different routes you could take though. I was telling te the other day, I love Boozy and Little Duval and like Charleston White because they don't do content in a traditional way. It's just them being themselves. Gilly is one of those where he has content, but he's also a lot of his supposed to just him.
Speaker 2: It's just him pulling his phone out screaming about the Eagles in front of a TV.
Speaker 1: If you don't have the ethic to figure it out, it's just not for you. Just keep making excusers and complaining and it's just not for you.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: There's so many you can go. Shoot visualizers. We've had visualizers go viral. A visualizer is like a music video but short form. Basically, I'll write out a whole music video treatment and I just picked one scene and be like, all right, let's shoot this and put the song on it. That shit. Cali Berden went viral a few times out standing doing numbers.
Speaker 2: Have you seen this guy, Anie? Yeah, Yeah, he's so good at I mean, I've seen him promote the same song for like over a year in different ways. He might be sitting at a tennis court singing a song. He might be on the bro.
Speaker 1: If you take one song and you do a live a live performance, one with your instrumental, one with a guitarist, one with a pianist, you got three different piece of content and one might go. Then you can start doing specialty shit. Go outside and record your shit, do it live. Like It's just so many things you could do for a neigga to be like, I don't know what to do. It's like you're not trying.
Speaker 2: You're not trying, and you're scared it's not gonna work that too. People are scared, Well, what happens if I throw something? It makes me look crazy because because social media is transparency, So if you throw something up and it don't do well, people will see and your insecurities, your insecurities will prevent you from from getting over that hump. You gotta do it.
Speaker 1: Failure is data. Yeah, you're not gonna make every single shot you take.
Speaker 2: Bootleg keV here eight shout out to King pom Man. We want to show them some love. Listen. I've been I feel like enlightened recently since we've been working with King pom Man. The cleanest smoke, organic, all natural, no tobacco. And this was about King Pom is. They have these turbid infused tips and what I love about them is whatever flavor you're into, Like these are the red rain energy drink flavors on a big energy drink guy, right, so your stuff what you need in these bad boys. Hit that tip, You're gonna get hit with a nice shock of flavor. Boom boom. That's the pink lemonade. Also, these are the natural boys. But I'm gonna show you what it looks like rolled up. All right, let's take a peek in here. We got the King Palm Boys here. This is what we're doing all right now. If you go to Kingpom dot com, it is the holiday season. You want to take care of somebody you love, we will take care of yourself. You deserve to be taken care of. YO fifty percent off right now. Use that promo code bootleg. It's either fifty or forty percent. Fuck I probably should know that. I think it's fifty though. Either way, fifty or forty bootleg Kingpom dot com, or you know, go to seven eleven. They got them at their any of your smoke shops in your hood, whatever it is, wherever you're at, pull up to your smoke shop. Get you some King Palm one more time, organic flavor, no tobacco, it's lit. Also, can we show some love to our family at Hard Dean Man. Shout out to hard Dean Man. Look, if you're in Vegas, you gotta pull up. You gotta say, take me to Hardean right now. I need to go to Hardan. They're gonna take you. They're gonna get you situated. Hardean Las Vegas the best cannabis dispensary I've ever walked into my life, the most craziest selection of premium cannabis in the entire world. I mean that place smells like God's sweat. It feels it just smells so good in there. It's just, Oh, they got their own scent. They're our family too, man. So it makes you follow them online. Harding Underscore Loss Vegas. All right, shoot them a follow on Instagram. Also go to Hardinglasvegas dot com. And when you're in Vegas, make sure you pull up to hard Dean Baby. And I always tell people too, you can upload new reels like you could re upload reels but not have it on your feed. Just throw it back into the system, right so it pops up. So music wise, we know what you're doing in the new year. I mean you're always working on new albums. They're coming out all the time. What's what's what's what's coming next?
Speaker 1: Man? We got a project with Link up coming I'm finna drop before the year closed. That'll be album number thirty. And then I just did some incredible songs with this producer named Mike g Okay from Chicago. That shit coming, I got shit with dot. I'm always making music like that. That's my passion. I love to make music, So I don't think I'm ever not gonna be dropping.
Speaker 2: Would you ever sell your catalog like people are selling the catalogs?
Speaker 1: I wouldn't.
Speaker 2: It's a thing you know, people are getting back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, people do. I personally wouldn't.
Speaker 2: Did you ever yourself a piece of it for the right price? Nah?
Speaker 1: I licensed it though, but I wouldn't. I wouldn't somebody to just build new homes with people like And That's been something I've been running into with, like trying to do deals with labels or distros because they all want your catalog and I'm like, no, I spent years building my own shit and marketing and putting my own money. You're not getting my catalog, But I will build new homes with you. We could do twenty five thirty fifty new things. But you're not gonna get all the world being the last four years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's real. So that is something for you. It's just a matter of like, if you ever were to go down that major label rabbit hole, it's got to be the right deal. It's got to be a fair I.
Speaker 1: Noticed I don't I wouldn't sell my catalog either, because I own my catalog. I noticed a lot of artists that do sell their catalog and they publishing they only own a slither a portion of it, right, So it's like, I mean, yeah, I sell ten percent of something, but I own I own myn What do you do?
Speaker 2: Do you do song Trust or where's your pup through? Do you do any sort of I do?
Speaker 1: I use Cobot now, but I started with song Trust, you know, and everybody could go get a song Trust. They were doing my first publishing admin. I'm with as Cap and then song Trust in my administration, and I end up doing a deal.
Speaker 2: With coboat last year. Oh that's fine, right, and.
Speaker 1: They man, they admitted they shit. I like just going into Theay portal and looking at the numbers and how far that shit reached.
Speaker 2: It's it's incredible you somehow have broken through a ceiling that at times as a barrier artists feels impossible to penetrate. Bro It's a new peak in terms of like the media you do, the attention you're getting. There's so many Bay Area artists that I love that are my friends, that we love, the fans, but you know what I mean, even La has that ceiling. Maybe it's a little you know, la is La, but there always feels like in the Bay you know, there's a there's so many dope artists that you kind of have to be from like a part of the country to know about, you know.
Speaker 1: And and I think it's the level of investment in marketing that we're willing to put into our work. I haven't met too many artists from the region who does content in the way that we do content, or spend like what I spend on ads and marketing and on seed and like what I spend having a tour and invest in building a live show building a venue like it's just the lack of infrastructure, Like we all of our blueprints is independent, right, and that independence has always had some sort of ceiling when it comes to like mainstream, we don't get the same media and the same looks. Like man, shit, just that you have to really invest, like you have to invest the same way major will like I spend when I get contracts, their marketing budgets already spent that ship. You feel me, It's like you're not giving me nothing. I haven't done for myself. But a lot of artists who are indie coming up, they're not willing to spend that amount or put their money where it needs to go. Put them by a belt, right, and that's that's all artists not even universal to the region. Niggas are buy period.
Speaker 2: It's like.
Speaker 1: Niggas spend on drugs in a month. If you put that ship into ads and see that, you'll probably grow.
Speaker 2: To The most frustrating ship is because you know, I managed producers and we'll do like you know, for example, Cyrus over here recently he did a he he mixed and mastered a record right for a friend who remain nameless. Now this friend that remain nameless. He's a good friend. This guy's flaunce, you know, like he's got you know, he's doing really well. But for whatever reason, could not square my man up. I won't say how much he charged him, but he charged him in an extremely low amount because he's a friend. But for whatever reason. And to me, this happens with producers, videographers, photographers. It's like fam if you could go buy the chunky, ugly Balinciaga shoes, you could pay for the beat.
Speaker 1: Brou If you could send in a picture like this with the racks, you could break this.
Speaker 2: Break some bread to your videography who helped step your visuals.
Speaker 1: You can breaking niggall who helped not reinvest in your craft. But I feel like those things have to be taught. My pots was a hustler who invested in his craft and taught all cook Man. You feel me like you have to be taught those things. A lot of niggas get money and they're never taught. That's your first time having money. Like if you're an artist from the block and you come out nigga, this is your first time having paper. That shit changed to it make you feel different. You don't have the awareness and information necessary to go do all that shit, especially if you end up going to a label like Man and some niggas be so fucked up because they are signed really early, and then once they get out of that label, it's like you stuck because you didn't really build any infrastructure and then you didn't sit down with the people to get the information.
Speaker 2: So you didn't use your advance in a way that could set up something post labeled.
Speaker 1: Right, And it's like it's not an easy thing to do, Like you have to know where to bru still to this day, Like I just recently found out some new shit with the ads and we've been well I.
Speaker 2: Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, TikTok. Yeah, they shout out to take You know what's crazy is you're a content creator aspect, Like people will frown on Facebook and snap chet because they think the ship is out. Bro, they pay better. Snapchat pays have a Snapchat show now, or they just take our interview clips this guy in the UK and uh bro, it pays way better than YouTube. Snapchat who I fucking bro, I don't have I haven't had Snapchat on my phone in four years.
Speaker 1: Facebook too, they like we're gonna stop paying that. Nigga was like, I actively use napjet. But for you are you?
Speaker 2: Are you noticing? So you're noticing because because for a while there Bang for your buck wise, Facebook was still great. Are you so you're noticing that you could do TikTok ads? Man?
Speaker 1: I think all of them are great in terms of ads bang for your buck like, like here, let me show you. I look at this ship.
Speaker 2: I like to point out I did shame him. But I also have an android. I know I have both. I have both. This one has a pen I can sign things with.
Speaker 1: Right, what is that twenty three I got sitting on here? So look, this is the past seven days right, this on TikTok seven hundred thousand views, Wow, four thousand followers, seventy and four thousand likes? Right, you hit to promote. That's the past seven days. Right, So I'll go to the dashboard. Spent forty two hundred. I'm seven hundred thousand years, four thousand new followers, right, so four thousand new followers off of that's four thousand new followers. I spent four grand right out of these four thousand people, if throughout the year, I just get them to spend fifty dollars with me, I made two hundred k. If you follow Larrussell and become a fan, the least you're gonna spend with a niggas twenty five So no matter what, I'm paying.
Speaker 2: Money because those new fans are coming in, they're gonna say they're gonna break breadwich.
Speaker 1: I could sell a gold car, two gold cars a money and I made back my ad spend.
Speaker 2: What is the gold cards that you're talking about?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so gold Cards I launched at the end of twenty twenty one and it's basically like the first artist membership subscription. If you got a gold car, you can come to any Larussell show that I throw for free.
Speaker 2: So you get in how much? How much is a gold card like a rack? It's offer base, offer base, So in fact, somebody, can you tell us the most you've.
Speaker 1: The most You've got them for gold card fire acts.
Speaker 2: That's great?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, right, And it's like that's a lifetime of shows. I'm finna be doing arenas in a year, two years coming mad bro niggas who got go cards? Look they like I'm out here, you feel me? Like the backyard shows I do so many a year gold card members get to come for It's like the backyard shows sell out. You can't get in if you got a gold card. You ain't even got to think about it. When I start the LA Residency, any city I'm in, if you have one, you in there and you don't have to worry about nothing has come with a plus one like bruh, I love that And you get random shares and songs like I just go through the list sometimes when I drop albums and send percentages to just random niggas who walk go arts from me.
Speaker 2: Has there been an artist that has reached out to you for some advice? That is, somebody who people would think you maybe you know, not a peer, somebody who's you know. So you've seen a lot of these big, big rappers, superstar rappers complaining about their situations like a big nail, like a YG like. Has anybody ever reached out to you just in the DMS and been like man like showing shown you some love or not really.
Speaker 1: Any major not really any major artists has really tapped in to be like yo because you assist with this, but a lot of the indies coming up tapping in, and I mean like yeah, not not really too many of the major guys, but some of the people coming out of the major system that's having to go back in indie and shit like that. Like, man, I feel like the major artists are like hyper prideful anyway.
Speaker 2: They are because as there probably very they're probably very paranoid. Was in the screenshot a fucking DM and up on academics whatever it is? I was gonna ask you, uh for you what is if if somebody is wanting to get involved on even right, what and what would be your advice on how the rollout should go down? Should it be DSPs even even at the same time? Do you do even first?
Speaker 1: Do you?
Speaker 2: I mean? I know, you know it's not a one size fits all, but if based on what.
Speaker 1: You've experientionally, I like to do even first, and I like to package my music with perks. Okay, So like if you buy albums for I do all off for bade. You can pay whatever you want, but I tear it out. So if you pay between a certain amount that might come with this. If you pay this amount and might come with a CD. If you pay this amount might come with a vinyl you pay this, it might come with a go card, like I like to give people an incentive to support me. But yeah, I like to go to even first before it even how.
Speaker 2: Long will you have it exclusively? Uneven before the week or two weeks? Okay, that's dope. Shout out to uh Yo. You know who's doing a great job selling their music and treating it like art pieces is do you know who Makami is? So he's a guy who dropped. He dropped an album. He's like og Buffalo Griselda guy he dropped in it. I don't even know if he's from Buffalo, but he treats his albums like art pieces.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 2: So like you have to buy the vinyl but there's only like a thousand of them, and like that's it, that's it. And and but do some of these vinyls go for like that's a wave.
Speaker 1: I'm about to go.
Speaker 2: So Two Chains did a most expensive shit you know he does that show and he met with some vinyl collectors and this guy pulled out this Makami album. I think that was going for like ten grand or something. And and it's crazy because you hadn't heard of him, and Two Chains hadn't heard of him. And the only reason I had heard of him is because he dropped the Dope album with Grizel a couple of years ago. But then I started to dive into like his business model. He doesn't have an Instagram, he only had he has a fan page that like he don't run. But it's this small community where like the music is so exclusive and the vinyls so extravagant. Right, it looks so beautiful and it's like it's and he's killing it.
Speaker 1: I fuck with that wave, like I'm about to move to that point too, like doing like you know, I used to sell microphones After I do a big show, I signed a microphone and I auction it off to the fans, and I've sold microphones for a crazy amount. And I just like giving the fans collectible thing like we got Omaha cassette tap collectible things, because I know I'm gonna be as big as wherever the fuck is the biggest one day. And now they get to make paper off some shit that they got for supporting early, Like man, when when the stream inside really kick and everyone who got percentages and royalties in.
Speaker 2: Our shit, they're gonna be like, oh shit, man, have you ever had any chats with a dude named Caskie, white Boy rapper, Caski.
Speaker 1: Cast money Caski. Now I haven't.
Speaker 2: He's doing a really good job of building up his independent but he's just did the second version of his one hundred dollar mixtape and the first time he made a hundred grand in the day, you know, and he's and he's doing the second one, and.
Speaker 1: Especially if you got a dedicated, die hard following, it's like people.
Speaker 2: Want and you're gonna get this super fucking sick. You're gonna get it on CD, but you're also gonna get like this extravagant. I think the first time he did a cool USB but you know, if you're sitting on music, his his whole thing is like I don't know where these songs are going to go because I record so much, but they're on fire. So here's thirty records for one hundred dollars. Once they're sold out, they're fucking sold out hard. And all of his fans from the first time honored not uploading any of them because he's like, yo, people could upload him on YouTube if they want, but like, I'm asking everybody not to, and they still haven't hit the internet. So it's dope man. Well shit, I'm super proud of you, bro stope to see everything you're doing YouTube. I think you're you know, like I said, Bro, I think you're kind of changing. You're changing the game. Bro.
Speaker 1: I feel like you caught me at the same time. I caught you going into like that Indie grind right and building that phase. And it's been dope to see the parallel and you steal you. That's the beautiful part. Like I could still text a call four hours ago, like I was to do something. I'm like, I was so far away. I was like, I'll make it happen. Come yeah, So listen, man, go go support everything this guy does. There's so many ways they can support you. Whichever way you find that works the best for you, go do that. If it's streaming, if it's even, if it's through a live show, if it whatever works for you, do that.
Speaker 2: You real quick. I want you to give some game to up and coming producers, because you do work closely with certain producers. Topes here is from Portland. What would be the game you'd give to a producer who's got heat but just doesn't I mean the producer game to me is as as an outsider. It was kind of an inside It's just a discouraging, right thing. It's almost like being a graphic designer or a photographer. It's like fuck man, like super underappreciated, you're underpaid. People take advantage of you. There's people who chase place. Spencer's the YouTube type piecers. But if you were a producer, what would be the game you would give a producer to attack the music industry from your approach.
Speaker 1: Work horizontally and build something. Don't chase anything. Just work horizontal. Find the niggas you loved that's around you, that's in your city, and just go bild with them and talk about the splits and just get your royalties. Eventually you get to a point where you got sixty seventy eighty songs all giving you this percentage coming in and you're getting your publishing and you don't have to go rely on the industry to get you a bag. Or one of those artists you work with that you believe in is going to blow up and you're gonna benefit from that. Whether they take care of you or not. You're gonna be arise in tide lifts all boats.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you look at a lot of the big name guys. They started with one person with yg you know what I'm saying, Like even the Homie six with logic, and.
Speaker 1: That's all you gotta do, Like find someone you love and just pour rent to them, man Man told Ben Tobin. Working since twenty twenty, none of this shit existed. I had like three four thousand followers and now a nigga at a million, and we go to the world and we you feel me like he found something early and invested in it, and now he gets ROI on that investment. And that's the way to go. You ain't never got to chase nothing. Just find the things you love and help cultivate it.
Speaker 2: There it is Man L. Russell. We're about to do a freestyle. You guys can watch separate YouTube video. Huh, everybody make sure you check them in twenty twenty four, whatever city. How many different cities have you planned it out or do you just kind of we know La is one of them. Yeah, we starting quarterly. I got a spot in Ezy for you if you do Phoenix, I gotta please actually do Phoenix. I got I got a venue out there, Yeah, a real dope venue. Shout out to Easy way too active. They're a doupe platform in Arizona that they got. They built a cool little venue and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, it's gonna be dope next year too, because like like I said, it's just new, like niggas don't do residencies no more. And one day I just had a thought. I was like, man, back in the days, like you want to go see like a Billy Holliday. There used to be like a club that you go to and she performing there for so many nights, and even comedians they go repeat the same comedy club over and over. And I'm talking, that's what That's what I want.
Speaker 2: Because you do afternoon shows. Man, I'd be too tired and watch Going.
Speaker 1: Home because the grannies. My demographic is different. I got grandmothers and children. They not trying to be out at.
Speaker 2: I love like the two three pm show. I'm like, oh, this is yeah, this is what I like.
Speaker 1: I think, right, it's new. It'll spoil you because then you got to go to another so and it's like.
Speaker 2: There's a concert. I'm like, oh, I really have already seen them. I think my friend, right, even if it's my friend, how mad will they be if I don't go it'd be rough. Like recently I went and saw Scissor and I did not regret it. I was like, I love Scissor. I was like, you know what, I gotta go.
Speaker 1: Well, we gotta build new standards and new norms like that doesn't have to be the thing, but we've just been so conditioned to do it that way, and I'm trying to break all them barriers.
Speaker 2: Boom, my guy, Appreciate you, but Russell, go follow them, go support it. Stream the music by a shirt, Bye Hoodie SiZ Boom, appreciate you guys watching. Hey, this interview was brought to you by Odd Socks. Baby, the holidays are here, and the people who you love deserve the fly socks, the most comfortable socks in the world. Ooh, these scarface socks. Oh, look at these things. Look at these top romin socks. What are we talking about? Whatever you're into? Wwe Scarface, the Godfather, fucking Transformers, Power Rangers, Ghostbusters, breaking bad Coca Cola. Hello, you know what I mean. They got the socks for them and they are the most comfortable socks in the world. Get some odd Socks basics on your feet and thank me later. Odd socksofficial dot com. Use the promo code Bootleg, save twenty percent off at checkout for the holiday season. Appreciate you all watching