Speaker 1: If you have your own story of being in a cult or a high control group.
Speaker 2: Or if you've had experience with manipulation or abusive power that you'd like to share.
Speaker 1: Leave us a message on our hotline number at three four seven eight six trust.
Speaker 2: That's three four seven eight six eight seven eight seven eight.
Speaker 1: Or showed us an email at trust Me pod at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Trust me.
Speaker 3: Trust Me. I'm like a swat person. I've never lived. To you, I've never had a live.
Speaker 2: If you think that one person has all the answers, don't welcome to trust to Me. The podcast about cult extreme belief manipulation from two Internet girlies who've actually experienced it. I'm Li Lablanc and I'm Megan Elizabeth. And today our guest is a woman who we're gonna call Nora, and she's going to talk to us about a Facebook group for women in Los Angeles called Girls' Night Out that ended up getting quite culty. We'll talk about why it was exciting in the beginning to connect with other women in a new way. Megan and I were both in it, so we were there. How other sub groups began to form, including one secret exclusive one that we were not in. And how the main admin who were calling Vivian seemed to be creating a space that prioritized social justice, equality and helping other people.
Speaker 1: At first, Noura is going to tell us how the culture of the secret smaller group Girls' Night In began to change, becoming a place where it was considered normal and even cool to post nudes into the group, send them to other people's boyfriends, and attack anyone who deviated from Vivian's ideas about what was good or bad. We'll talk about the red flags that slowly popped up along the way, the controversies that made Nora begin to question, and how the group finally collapsed.
Speaker 2: And obviously this week has been very heavy in the world and there is a lot of grief happening. There's a lot of ongoing trauma happening, and I do want to address that, but I'm going to talk about that probably next week because this is just a lighter episode and doesn't feel like the right fit. So before we get into it with Nora, Megan, what is your cultiest thing this week?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm going to keep it slumber party vibes this week with my cultiest thing as well, there's a show called Secret Lives of Mormon Wives that's becoming very popular. One of the things I've really taken away from it is that these women are pouring like diet coke with creamer to kind of create their own version of coffee. And it actually, I'm a diet coke obsessed fanatic. It actually looks kind of great.
Speaker 2: Okay, that sounds delicious. Not gonna lie As a yeah, diet coke fan, and as a cream fan, I like, I want to drink this. I haven't watched the show yet, but I was very into that TikTok drama. So I've heard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and former Mormon, can you just tell us a little bit why you can't drink coffee, but why you could drink diet coke.
Speaker 2: We weren't supposed to drink soda growing up. That's newer, so Joseph Smith. I believe in the beginning, alleged some scripture somewhere said no strong drink, so no coffee, no tea, and you know that was extrapolated upon to include caffeinated beveragest you. But people have relaxed a bit about that in recent right.
Speaker 1: There's still much They're still not going to go full coffee, but a diet coke with some cream is fine, and just watching them mix it all up, it's it's it's just so, it looks so good. So anyway I might do it, I might not to be determined. What about you, what's the lightest yet cultiest thing that's happened to you this week?
Speaker 2: Okay, it's not exactly light, but oh but it is just kind of an update, which is about I'm not going to get into the details because the details are pretty harrowing, but my mother testified in court finally, I believe, last week about this new self proclaimed prophet in the FLDS community who named Sam Bateman, who committed some horrific uh, you guys can read about it. I'm not even going to go into it. But there were children involved, there were families involved, and my mom she was finally able to testify about her role in taking him down, which is she started recording him and basically like brought it to the authorities who said they needed more evidence, so my mom went undercover. I think we'll be hearing a lot more about how this actually transpired. But my mom took on this extremely risky endeavor in this group that was making threats on their enemies and did it of her own accord. You know, she has some conspiracy theorists who believe some made up thing, but it's all documented now. And yeah, if you guys want to read about it, there's an article on courthousenews dot com called Arizona men found guilty of aiding religious child sex abuse ring and you can read about my mom's role in taking that predator down. So that's my update.
Speaker 1: Your mom is an icon, She's everything. I love her so much. And wow, yeah, that definitely wasn't a slumber party, but also needed to know it, and I don't know, I'm just kind of trying to tie the two together.
Speaker 2: Listen, it's not a slumber party vibe, but listen, an undercover woman taking down a bad guy. That's kind of slumber party.
Speaker 1: That's kind of slumber party. I think you know both can be true nuance.
Speaker 2: Okay, God, sorry, it's news.
Speaker 4: It is no No. I love your cultiust thing. I love your cultiust thing.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Shall we start talking to Nora.
Speaker 2: Let's do it. Welcome Nora. Quotation marks Nora to trust me. Thank you so much for being here, because this is something Megan and I have both been very curious about for a very long time. We are going to talk about a Facebook group that we were all in and nine not to the extent that others were. Shall we say, can you please explain to us what the group Girls' Night Out was?
Speaker 3: Girls' Night Out. Girls' Night Out was a quote unquote private, secret Facebook group based out of Los Angeles for women only, and it started off mainly as just a networking group, a social event group just for women in LA. And there were about twenty thousand members when I joined, so it was you know, if you bump into anyone in public, chances are every other girl is that group. You know, LA is huge, but it's small at the same time. So yeah, yeah, girls Night Out was a and still is around, a private Facebook group for women in LA to network.
Speaker 2: And let's talk about before we kind of get into the more personal side of it, Like what was the appeal of this group for you? Because I know for me at the time, Facebook groups are still kind of new ish, and I was like, oh my god, I've never gotten to like connect with women so directly, and it was really exciting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for me, it was appealing. I think most women in the group, and most women in LA are transplants, as they're called, so we're not from here. We didn't move here with a ton of friends. Some of us did, but for the most part, you move out here, you know, maybe one or two people. And it was just an easy way to meet other women in LA and other people that you have things in common with. And the group would also throw a lot of events they had, like swim nights at the Roosevelt and bowling nights and all these different events that you can go to and sort of you know, strengthen your social anxiety and meet women that you had things in common with. And yeah, the appeal was friendship and community basically, and it.
Speaker 4: Was the most supportive group on the planet.
Speaker 1: You could write anything and everyone would be like, that's girlfriend, Like I got you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was definitely the appeal of like women's empowerment, and it was just very supportive for the most part. There were definitely, as we call them, gates, gates you know, with yeah, when like something happens, it's a blah blah blah gate.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah.
Speaker 3: So yeah, for the most part, but you know, if you take twenty thousand of anything anyone, there's going to be some bad seeds and bad experiences that come up, But for the most part, it was just a really fun, cute way to meet people. It was just like a you know, it's been described as kind of an online sorority in a way.
Speaker 4: Totally. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I felt like it was a lot of like cool girls who were in it, and I you know, wanted to be a part of it. Like, yes, it's it's community. But also like you kind of could see who the like top girls in the group were, and I'm remember there being just this like sort of aura of cool around them, like, oh, like, how do you hang out with the top? You know, the girls at the top.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there definitely were like there were rankings for sure, like hierarchy, and there's definitely like a totem pole type thing going on, and you could absolutely tell who which ones were the popular girls. It's basically just high school, okay, Yeah, it was like a big giant high school. I would say that G and O Girls Night Out was the high school and then the other group, which I'm sure we'll get to, was like the sorority.
Speaker 2: That's a good analogy. So where were you personally at the time when you joined this group, were you knew to La, Like, what was what was going on in your life.
Speaker 3: I had lived in La for I want to say, like four or five years by the time I discovered this group, and I think I just was added. I don't remember trying to join it or whatever. A mutual friend or something in the group just added me. I think that, you know, people wanted the group to grow. The admin of the group wanted the group to grow, so I think she had instructed like, oh, I had like five to ten of your girlfriends, like, let's make this group bigger. We can get so much done. So I just one day woke up and logged in a Facebook and I was just like in this group, and I remember like, what is this? I like the words girls and it out that's a cute, clever name. And I was just clicking around and all the threads were very juicy or very informative. Yeah, it appealed to me right away, just because you know, at the time, I worked forty sixty hours a week, I wasn't really I didn't have a ton of time to go out. So this group was great because it just had things to go to. Told you when and where to go, what to wear, how to dress, like time to show up, and it was just very structured and organized and sweet and friendly and fun and yeah at the time where I just didn't have a ton of time to make new friends.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and for our gen Z listeners at this time, So like my experience of this, I had been in an industry in LA where women really had not been connected to each other and it was really like competitive all the time. And then this era of Facebook groups begins and suddenly I'm like in g and O, but I'm men also a Facebook group for women in comedy if I was an admin of a group for women in entertainment in general, and there was all this like women connection happening, and it felt kind of revolutionary at the time because you really didn't have a way to do that in Los Angeles before, and everyone felt pitted against each other. And it was kind of the first time all of these groups, you know, it felt like real community of women and Facebook was not yet uncool, so everybody was on there.
Speaker 3: It is so uncool now, it's like an abandoned theme park.
Speaker 1: But they would like, I remember this era of female Facebook groups where they and even this would happen in girls I now where they would like post a picture of a guy and be like beware of this guy, and it was or like this happened with this student.
Speaker 4: It could be like a kind.
Speaker 1: Of powerful man that had I'd really been affecting a lot of women, and you would be like, like, I mean, I remember I was dating a guy that this group kind of outed and was like he's not a good dude, and I was like, oh my god, I guess we have to break up down.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, it's very wild.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was in a way of promoting safety because we hadn't been talking to each other before.
Speaker 3: Exactly, and there was no way to you know, if you want to warn the masses about a guy, there's no real quote unquote normal way to warn the masses about don't date this guy, unless it's like you're printing out photos and posting him on you know, public places or whatever. Like one way to just kind of like just post a pic and like write the thing and move on with your day. You can't like send that out to the masses be a text message, like right, like a crazy person.
Speaker 1: And it's all sandwiched between like this is the coolest way to do your hair right now.
Speaker 4: So you're like learning about.
Speaker 1: Hair an event, a dude you shouldn't date, and you're just like, damn, I have like friends.
Speaker 4: I remember.
Speaker 1: I also just signed into Facebook one day and was in it. I don't know who invited me. I don't know, ye how, and I started like inviting all of my friends because I was just like, we all gotta we all gotta be in here, like we gotta do this.
Speaker 3: Shit jobless and stuff too, job blessing. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I had worked in so many sectors and every girl I really liked that I worked with who I thought was cool. They were all in here from every walk of life, and I was like, what the hell, Like this group just collected my personal favorite people from every here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, put them in one place, and now they're telling me what to buy.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say. And then there was also gno housing, gno jobs. There were all of these other groups that again were like we all need something, let's come together and like figure it out in a group. And it was meeting all these very specific needs for women only generally in Los Angeles. Sorry, go on, yeah, oh, I.
Speaker 3: Was gonna say basically the same thing. There were offshoots of the group that kind of kept spreading and growing like a little like different branches of the group, and then the culty part of it began. If I'm allowed to transition to that project was please Apparently there was a smaller version of G you know, called Girls' Night In, and that was actually the underground, sweet sweet candy of groups like it was maybe had eight hundred to twelve hundred girls only out of the twenty thousands exclusive very and to the gen Z back in the day when Facebook was the coolest, it was like being in the best coolest group chat. I don't even know how to describe what gen Z would do and like.
Speaker 4: I would try to think, but just like a I don't.
Speaker 3: Know, it's gen Z on discord or something.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: But yeah, there was a small version of the group that was, you know, out of twenty thousand, there was you know one that and girls. And you noticed in this group it was all the women we were talking about earlier, all the top coolest popular ones. And then one day I just went I didn't know about the group. I just was in it, just like I was in G and L. And then you have to have people vouch for you and be like, oh, can we invite her in? She'd be good. And you just like wake up one day and you're like, and you hear rumors like G and I, there's a G and I, but it's just like my club. You allowed to talk about it, that's made up. Well, I leaked people like, oh, that's a rumor, there isn't one, And that was me and Lola.
Speaker 4: We were like, that's a rumor. We would totally be in it if there was one. Cool.
Speaker 2: But I feel like I feel like I remember seeing the group, Like I can't remember if I was in it and someone and then I got kicked out, But like, I feel like I saw the words girls night In. But I totally could have made that up because it totally could have been other people posting about it and me just saying that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my roommate, your roommate, wasn't it. A lot of my friends changed the name of it a lot too, so it would be it originally started as Girls' Night In, but then it turned into like they would rename it to inside jokes, which made it even more like, oh you would never know, like like they named it coconut oil friendship group for a while.
Speaker 2: Oh wow.
Speaker 3: And then if there was like a popular funny thread, they would change the group name to that it became like warm fluffy towels was the name of it.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: It's like they would change it so that you know people were not lying. There is no girls night in.
Speaker 1: Let's take a moment to talk about the admin of this. Vivian is what we shall call her, Let's call.
Speaker 3: Her Vivian Vivian.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, Lola, you wrote down some interesting things about what you initially thought of her, which was what we all thought of her?
Speaker 4: Will you say some of them?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I so we were Facebook friends. I don't think I ever actually met her. I think I just was generally aware of her presence in these groups, and I would see her posts, and I specifically remember her flaunting her status as a social justice warrior, which is not a term that I really use, but I feel like she used it like as the badge of honor. I got this sense from her post that like she kind of was operating as this like soldier of morality who knew exactly what you were and were not supposed to do, and what was woke and what wasn't and what was cancelable and she was ready to cancel you. Like that's the general impression that I got of her. And at the time I was like, oh my gosh, I need to like stay up on what language I'm supposed to use or not use, because like, you know, Vivian's gonna keep me in check if not, and like, and that's something I would.
Speaker 3: Be scared of her too, hate me, and you would like be so hungry for her to be your favorite, so you could be safe if you did mess up.
Speaker 2: Like and by the way, like I I care like that stuff that's been very always been very important to me and in that era, very important to me. But it was like another level, like I was attending social justice groups and stuff like that, but it was another level of like like hypervigilance almost about who was bad and who was good, and like at the turn of a dime, it seemed like you could be deemed bad, so you kind of had to stand your toes. And this is my impression just like generally as a Facebook friend, like not in the inner circle in any way.
Speaker 1: Pretty accurate, and like the conversations wouldn't like sometimes it would just be a girl that you're like, WHOA, don't say that, and everybody would kind of attack her, you know, and that would be one thing. But then I remember one girl was like, put my hair in pigtails today, and everybody was like that's cultural appropriation, like braids aren't fine, and I was like whoa.
Speaker 3: Like that was sort of the flavor of the group where everything was under the guise of like teaching someone in learning and growing and being better and the right correct way to be woke and how to move forward and be better. It was all under that, but there was such a nasty, venomous mean girl flavor tossed in. I don't really know how to describe it, like, oh, well, like I'm being mean to you because like this is helping you, and you know, if it weren't be us being mean, if it weren't me being like saying this, then someone else is going to do it in a way worse way, or like you're you almost got brainwashed into thinking you were lucky that that's how you were learning. Stuff is being dragged like this is a lesson, Like you should be grateful that this is how you're learning with a bunch of women rather than you know, some other way that's worse. I don't know, like and.
Speaker 2: I will, yeah, And I just want to clarify, like I think I speak for all of us when I say, like, we all think over cultural appropriation and anything like reducing a race or ethnicity to a costume like that stuff is generally not good. We don't know that, you know, racism is bad. None of us want to engage in this stuff, but it can be very you know, at that time, in particular, the vigilance was so high that it was hard to know like what was okay and what was and it was all so so new, you know, and Vivian sort of deemed herself as the arbiter of what was and was not acceptable. And by the way, Vivian was half Asian, but you know, she's not a black woman. She was being the arbiter of rules for ethnicities and raceist that she is not. Just to clarify what that situation was.
Speaker 4: I was too scared to ever post because she was always mad. I was just there to watch.
Speaker 1: People get yelled at, essentially, or to see people's makeup ideas and stuff like that. But Nora, were you posting a lot and were you getting like hard feedback and comments that were kind of schooling you a lot.
Speaker 4: Was that something that was happening.
Speaker 3: So I, you know, in the beginning, we're all a little too scared to post. And then as you see the group grow, as you see how everyone's acting, and when you see who's cool and popular, you know, I would post and just be funny, Like I would just post funny stuff because everyone liked that, and then I started growing in popularity in the group because that was the funny one. But I do remember being a little too afraid to comment on the serious ones like would I would post my own, but I wouldn't chime in very much on the other ones, like being a fly on the wall was probably your safest way in that and it could be very entertaining. And I did learn a lot, like I did learn. I you know, before those groups, wasn't I wasn't even thinking about box braids. I've never gotten them, but I didn't know until those groups, like oh, I guess, yeah, that would be offensive probably to a black person, if a white girl wants to wear that as a costume. And you know, there would be really great conversations and threads in there where you would learn a lot and learn different perspectives. So I did. There was so much value in that group because I did learn a lot, Because even though the group itself could be toxic, there were some really good people in there in good competition, which is what keeps you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean.
Speaker 3: All bad right, so for sure.
Speaker 2: I mean that's the thing. It's like, the community aspect is valuable, and getting different perspectives is valuable. What sort of starts to turn it is when the leader, when it becomes more about her his or her particular whims and less about connecting with each other and learning and growing together.
Speaker 3: And then the group got even more exciting because there were a few I don't want to say celebrities, but I swear Tila Tequila was in that group. Oh yes, and I think Grage left or got kicked out or something.
Speaker 2: That up.
Speaker 4: Honestly, there were a few.
Speaker 3: Celebrities sort of sprinkled in, you know, CD list. I hate to rank people like that, but you.
Speaker 4: Know what I mean, celebrity adjacent.
Speaker 3: Angelina Jolie wasn't in there really too.
Speaker 2: Internet celebrities were in there, and again for gen Z listeners, Tuila Tequila was huge on my Space and then had a resurgence of fame like ten years later ish with her reality show and stuff, and then kind of disappeared.
Speaker 3: Like Tricia Petis or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh my god, exactly exactly like Tricia Paitis. I feel like, uh and I remember seeing girls who were like, yeah, like my Space famous had I known in that time, or like we're big fashion bloggers you know, like Internet like micro Internet famous people who were just it seemed cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was the first wave of influencers, you know, when people were famous on Instagram. That was the first that was kind of around the same time. Yeah, one hundred thousand followers, so crazy, Yeah, I did. It did feel like my Space celebrity adjacent.
Speaker 4: In my Space?
Speaker 1: What was the topics being discussed?
Speaker 3: Girl Snagan was a little bit more like a giant sleepover, like a slumber party. It was like slumber party vibes, where okay, secrets, it's a small group, so you feel a little bit more safe to be vulnerable. We were definitely posting different things in there, just juicier pictures of ourselves. It definitely felt like a safe space to express yourself as a woman right first. You know, it's kind of like a free for all, like it was just anyone. You don't know who's in there, like your cousin could accidentally be in there, and right.
Speaker 1: Because I hear secrets and I think collateral, you know, at this point.
Speaker 3: In a way just a good way to bring up you know, it would and things happen slowly in there. Things get like normalized very slowly, so that you're not like, oh Jesus, this is what goes on in here. It would be like, you know, one member posting like, oh I just got this like laningerie set, like and all of us would be like show us, like show us, and she's like, okay, I gotta post some spicy photos. And then it would be like it would escalate to women just fully posting nudes. That's before you can get what's what it's called zucked, before you can get like flagged and banned for nudes on Facebook. So many many members I want to say, at least seventy percent posted nudes in there, and again it was all right away. It would just like gradual and then it seemed normal, like, oh, like I feel safe here. This kind of is fun to you know, feel sexy and you know, get the ego boost in a safe space from women rather than for the male gaze or however people like to say. So, you know, I definitely posted lingerie kind of cute sexy photos because it just, you know, it feels good to feel good, and then it feels good to have that support. But then after a while, it's like, why are we all taking nudes and posting them in not a public forum but like online essentially.
Speaker 2: A thousand people a lot of people, to you know, that is like it's not like the whole world, but it is like relatively public, and I do understand the instinct as well. I'd be sending my friends, yeah, the hot pigs of myself, you know, yeah.
Speaker 1: Lola, Lola sends me pictures of her butthole like every other day, every okay, So yeah, So I mean it's a thousand people, sure, but it's a thousand people who've all been vetted. I'm assuming that this is the height of kind of the body positivity movement, So it's I mean, it's a lot of like we all accept our bodies. That was what was happening in Girls Night Out, Like I would see a lot of girls posting their lingerie pictures who weren't your typical people that would be doing that, and we would all be like and I would feel the same way, like yes, you go like this is amazing whole now era being ushered in, but yeah, I can totally see it kind of being normalized in Girls Side Out, and then you move over to girls night in end it being uh just.
Speaker 4: Completely more safe.
Speaker 1: And once you kind of start sharing those kind of pictures with people, even unconsciously, you're just closer and I want to yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's that bond, that vulnerable, yeah bond that you have. And speaking of that, it's reminding me also this there's here's there's nothing wrong with doing this because it's consensual, and the girls who did it wanted to. And I remember, okay, I got to start from the beginning. It's crazy. So one of the girls that was her boyfriend's at the times birthday and she's like, it's my boyfriend's birthday. Can everyone in the group send him a sexy pick oh or in his phone with like butts and boobs for his birthday? And I remember being like, what, that's crazy, but so many of the members did, and they posted screenshots off his reaction and everyone's like pumping each other up. So you're watching these people get attention and accolades sort of for having done this, and one of the members was one of like the more popular ones, and so you're like, oh, I kind of want to make her happy, like maybe I'll just like son a leavage pick to her boyfriend, which like, on the outside, that sounds crazy, that sounds crazy, But then it would happen the next week for someone else's boyfriend, and then again and again, and yeah it's a week, and then it just was normal to do to the point where at the time my partner's birthday came around and I had them do it for him.
Speaker 4: Lucky.
Speaker 3: Wow, it's very lucky.
Speaker 4: But unfortunate for y'all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's and I mean it's fine because we were all at the time like hey, like I know what I'm doing whatever. But we're also again kind of under the impression that this is normal and you should do it. So you're like, oh, like I'm and you know, there's the the incentive of like, well, I want to be one of the cool ones. I'm not like other girls like oh yeah ones, And so like here I'm sending I would not today, not that there's anything wrong with that. Personally, I would not today send a booty pick to a friend's boyfriend for.
Speaker 1: His And I'm so jealous if the girls were like sending that to my boyfriend, if I asked them to do that, I would like drop kick his phone out the window and be like never mind.
Speaker 3: From the outside, it's very not normal.
Speaker 2: I mean, did you feel conflicted about it at the time, Like did you have any like secret like feelings of jealousy that you were suppressing, Like what did you feel about that?
Speaker 3: I so badly wanted to be cool in the group that I was like, yeah, this is cool. Like you're just you're kind of brainwashed, like like you are in a cult where you are sort of trained to want these things to happen. You're you know, molded to do those things, to let them in too, even if it is uncomfortable. You're like, oh, but no, I'm so much more body positive, sex positive.
Speaker 4: Probably it feels like growth. It was all framed as growth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And I was like, oh god, I was such a prude before, Like this is cool, like sexually free and don't be insecure about your boyfriend and your relationship. Like if I'm secure, my boyfriend's awesome. Then the more this happens and the more normal we are, the cooler we are. Like, yeah, today, I would not do it. I'm not judging people who sent those pictures or because I did. I mean, it was like a butt peg from whatever. It was definitely recycled. I did not take a new one. Every girl knows what a recycled nude is, and it wasn't nude. It was just like, you know, I probably took it drunk or something for my partner at the time, just recycled it. But yeah, it just was. It felt normal, it felt cool. It was just the thing you did. And like, looking back, that is kind of very insane to the person I am today, I would not do that. S wouldn't do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you're being very diplomatic about it, which is like it's good, Like, yes, we should be understanding of whatever. Everyone has different ideas of what they're comfortable with. But I think the point is that it's not something that you would be aligned with you typically, right, It's not something it was going against your natural sort of instincts and what you felt in your life was normal behavior. Because this group had sort of moved your boundaries and like moved your sense of normal over here from where you were initially, right exactly? And did that escalate? Like how did that evolve?
Speaker 3: I mean, I think people just started doing it more often, posting nudes of themselves. I didn't, but there were threads and threads and threads of inappropriate sexual pictures, either sometimes with people and their partners or just themselves. And again, there's nothing wrong with being sexual. There's nothing wrong with taking pictures with your partner, there's nothing wrong with sharing those with the people that you're comfortable with. But at the end of the day, do we know every thousand people in here? Do we know them closely? But it kind of felt that way because again it was like summer party vibes, Like you just felt like he he, Like you know, what stays here in the group just stays here forever. But you forget. People can take a screenshot and you forget. The next week someone might make you really mad, or you might make someone mad, and now they just happen.
Speaker 4: Vivian is not chill.
Speaker 2: What's her role in all of this at that stage?
Speaker 3: Givian has a background in the adult entertainment industry. She used to run the site called God's Girls, which I don't know if you're familiar, but if not, it is. It was a spicy website, as I say, that was heavily similar to Suicide Girls, which is like tattoos, piercings, basically golf porn essentially. So she ran that, and the lore is that her dad back of the day was a porn producer as well, so she comes from a background and you know, family wise and then also career wise in the porn industry. So then she also had that website called Crushy, which was before Gano, and it was kind of like a social media MySpace type thing, almost kind of like friends to remember that were aging ourselves.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I vaguely remember this, but I don't remember what the premise was.
Speaker 3: And crush she was like, I can't quite remember. It stayed anonymous until you decided not to be or something. I was on there for a second and apparently they had sort of like group chat video things or something which I was not a part of. I didn't use it very often just because I was like, not another website. I don't want to have another thing in my life. I just didn't have time for it, but Krushy I think did have. I want to say there was a sexual aspect to it as well, where a lot of the members were either in the porn industry or something.
Speaker 1: There was something I remember people saying that they were like groomed from when they were underage to be a part of this.
Speaker 3: There were girls on God's Girls that came out after everything went to shambles, and there were Reddit threads that kind of claimed that Vivian had hand picked them for God's Girls even though they were underage, and sort of pressure them like it's fine, it's fine, You're safe, it's all good. No needs No. Those are just the things that I've read. I don't know these women. I was not involved in God's Girls at all, but I did read some places in here, some places that there was some underage grooming going on for the women and girls who were on God's Girls.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's an allegation that has been made.
Speaker 3: Yes, I have read about that being a thing. I don't know if it's true or not. I don't know any of the women involved, so, but yes, that is that has circulated before.
Speaker 1: And also allegedly Crushy I remember reading somewhere a girl saying that it was a lot of younger women with older, richer men, almost like a sugar daddy site. But it wasn't framed that way. It was like friendship, and you were like, why am I friends with? Why is there all these older powerful men and all these younger women whatever, They're interesting, They're a rock star there or whatever, And so that site was also suspect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in terms of the dynamics in the group, what was Vivian's role at that point, Like, was she encouraging this kind of behavior? Was she using the existence of these it is against anyone, like what was starting to feel toxic about it?
Speaker 3: Vivian was supportive of us expressing ourselves and posting those things. We were never ashamed or anything. I do know that other members of the group were not safe, because again, you take a thousand people. You can have a thousand people in a room that might be talk. There's a thousand people in a group and yeah, one or two opposite to drag you, and you know, similar to g Ando, like if you say one wrong thing, if you do something you know that people don't agree with. It's kind of the hive mentality where you get kicked out of the group, and when people get kicked out of the group, they who knows if they screenshot all these things and have all these photos and posts and secrets and confessions against you. Like it was one big diary for all of us and that we all shared and wrote in kind of like the what is it the burn book, I mean girls thing, So you just have to be really careful. But for the most part, Vivian was more like the mom of the group, the leader, Like definitely she was the leader of the group and the head admin, which sounds like so dorky. She also had admin, but she was like the mother of the group, and you know, if you thought something was off, but she would like be like no, like this is hard, I'm doing it. But yeah, yeah, totally, like I don't want to get kicked out of the group, Like I don't want to lose these friends. I also don't want all these people against me, because it was just so culty almost that if you're out and you get excommunicated, you're the enemy and you're evil and you're bad, and it's just a scary place to be. After having written all that and posted all that, and shared those photos and sent them to people's boyfriends, you know.
Speaker 2: And were people excommunicated and if so, like what for?
Speaker 3: I can't remember exact details, but it would be something as small as we're going to get box braids done and not immediately being like, oh my god, you're right, I'm so sorry, Like Vivian, you're the one who knows all, like if you didn't just worship her for any reason, and again, hive mentality, like we would know maybe there's something off about that, but when everyone's doing it, when everyone's thinking it, you're in this group, and the addiction to wanting to be included and wanting that community and feeling so special in the weird you know, exclusivity of oh that's that group doesn't exist. Like you were just part of this big, powerful secret in this big powerful town with you know, members of members who are married to big rock stars and celebrities, and some of the people in the group were also and are also celebrities. So like you're in this secret, powerful group. And when you're kicked out. I've seen people get kicked out or moved in the way they get dragged and the way they would just talk so much shit is like awful, and like, I never want that to be me to the point where people would probably still still get dragged because of those threats because you just.
Speaker 2: Like thought it and like, would it be something overtly racist that would get them kicked out? Because like, okay, fair if you're being racist in a group, doesn't but like or like what kind of stuff would it be?
Speaker 3: Like it would be someone sticking up for themselves for once. I think it was just people trying to branch off and like, no, actually, that's that's weird to do. Like I'm don't I don't want to send your boyfriend that, or I don't want people to send my boyfriend anything, or I you shouldn't have you shouldn't have posted a full new girl what you're doing. And I'm like, oh see, you think whatever, Like it would be anyone who's basically thinking for themselves because the racist people didn't make it into that group. Anyone who got it was messy, like you had to be vouched for by I think remembers or something, and everyone had to vote yes for you to get in. So for the most part, many of the women in the group are awesome and were great and had a lot to offer and are still some of my closest friends. Some of them aren't, and some of them did turn out to be weird or not nice. I'll just say, but yeah, when people got kicked out, it would be them just like enough of the shit, Like I don't I don't have to agree with this, I don't have to whatever, like just thinking differently, or if you're not voting for Bernie Sanders, like you're out, like you know, if you're like I don't think I'm I think I'm just not going to vote this election, or even just saying like I thought about what if I didn't vote the selection, she'd be like get out of our group. Like you can just say that maybe you're thinking about it. It would be something like that, or so I cannot in resist. I mean in that moment, you know, you would just do something that was against if you bought a dog and didn't adopt it or something, or even asked like hey, like I'm trying to get a specific breed for my allergy and my ESA whatever things that I need. If you you know, and I think that people should adopt I don't think you should shop for dogs. But there are circumstances where Okay, what am I gonna do is save all the dogs in the world by telling this one person but something something as small as as that in comparison to being racist, like where can I get this dog? Adopting it? And it's like, oh my god, vi had designer dogs that she thought.
Speaker 2: Really, yes, of course she did, of course she did.
Speaker 4: That is so funny adoptant shop.
Speaker 1: But that yeah, if somebody needs an hour job, yeah yeah, like come on.
Speaker 2: So basically, so basically, Vivian has created this like moral code that she herself does not adhere to. But she's created like a code of how you must live your life, and not just like how you must communicate, but how you must literally live your life. And anyone who expresses any variation of her idea of that right, because she's the one upsetting this standard and deciding who gets kicked out, or there are other people as well.
Speaker 3: It was basically her Okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so that's Caulds effect.
Speaker 3: Yeah you don't like that, like if she does it, if she does, like someone, you like that, it's looking back, it's like, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: It's a particularly difficult one to navigate because like ostensibly, what she's promoting is like justice and equality and uh sex, body positivity, loving yourself, helping dogs. Like ostensibly, like on the surface, the thing that she is purporting to be promoting are these things that we all want, Like we all want want I mean not all of us, but like I think most of the people in the group want a world that looks like that where we're but also we're humans and we're doing our best, and like sometimes there might need to be a reason to differ from Vivian's particular ideas about what that looks like.
Speaker 3: It's a lot. I mean, it's a lot. It's you know, like I explained before the appeal was you know, it's under the guise of women empowerment and learning and growth and mutual aid and helping the community. You know, one of the members would help with Christmas presents for an unhoused mother with two kids, and we would all donate money. And I heard that Vivian kept part of that money, and that the member found that out. She moved it to an Amazon wish list so that that couldn't happen.
Speaker 2: But I do remember, I do remember hearing that rumor as well. I remember hearing rumors about all of the like good deeds quote unquote that Vivian had been doing that were actually just serving Vivian yep. And again this is sort of a hallmark of a cult leader like figure. I also, I just was googling her, and I remember part of why, part of where I got my pression of her as being like this like s JW whatever, like but like really aggressive about it person. And it was the lift incident.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, I remember that. I remember that happening in real time, Like, wait.
Speaker 4: Okay, what are you all talking about?
Speaker 2: You do you want to tell it? You can, just so you can, Okay, Okay. So Vivian took a lift, uh and noticed that her driver had a Hula girl bobblehead on the dash. She starts taking a video of her, like telling this man that he's being racist. She threatens to put him on Gawker. She says, you will be like the next internet meme. It's going to be super funny. She says, yeah, I'm sorry that you have no consideration for actual When he says she's being rude because she's basically just harassing harassing him, Yeah, I'm sorry that you have no consideration for actual Hawaiian people who don't want to be a bobblehead item in the car while you were driving for lift. And then she calls him a fucking selfish, dumbass idiot, and he kicks her out of the car and says, here's a sidewalk, have a wonderful night. She was aggressively harassing this man, like whatever you think about you, Yeah.
Speaker 3: She was whatever, definitely under the ampence.
Speaker 2: Whatever you think about who the girl bobblehead like, I understand why that could be a problematic thing to have. Her approach was insane, and.
Speaker 3: It turned out I think I want to say that that lift driver was from Hawaii something you don't know what you were talking about, like whatever, And she just was trying to be very performative. Saw that as an opportunity to do that, thought it would be a good idea to record it, posted it right as it happened because he dropped her off. I was like, I'm ending this ride, like you need to get out because she was being a little too much about it. Posted the video in a couple of places to try to She's like I'm gonna get you fired or something like that. She wanted him to lose his job over it, because he dropped her off in the middle of nowhere would turn out like it was on a sidewalk, like to get out of the car. I want to say he temporarily did lose his job, but then got it back once the other video because she posted it and immediately took it down, But the internet is forever, it doesn't matter, Like someone screen recorded it and reposted it on YouTube, and.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she immediately was like, oh, I'm the asshole.
Speaker 3: I think she was not getting the response that she wanted. She had posted it in the group and we were even kind of like this, like you maybe shouldn't have posted anywhere. And I don't know if someone screen recorded it from the group and shared it. I'm not quite sure how I got out out, but it.
Speaker 2: Did, and like right wing Twitter like seized this video and used it as evidence of why all social justice endeavors are like ridiculous and all these people are insane, you know, like yeah, it fed into this like caricature narrative of people who like actually are trying to promote social justice.
Speaker 3: And a lot of her stuff was very, like I said, performative. Some of the stuff you know, she got some things done and raised some money for some stuffs, Like a little bit of good was done, but it was definitely performative and just to be perceived as this powerful person.
Speaker 4: Was the dance party a part of her. That was the drama that.
Speaker 5: I was before Hula I think, Okay, I was the dancing man thing, which again started that didn't really involve as much.
Speaker 3: Okay, all other members of G and I who were kind of grifty about the whole thing also so we we all collectively helped find the dancing man and located him and we all.
Speaker 1: The dancing man, just for anyone who doesn't know, was a man who was dancing all by himself and it was captured in the video.
Speaker 4: Correct.
Speaker 3: Someone took a picture of overweight man dancing in a party, but he was by himself self and someone the it was on four chan or something whatever that place is. Someone posted a picture of him and goes, this guy stopped dancing because we told him he's too fat to be here. Whatever. It was just like fat shaming him and telling him like he doesn't deserve to have a good time dancing because he's fat, and it went viral on four chan and then it went viral on Facebook and people were like, we need to find this man and like throw him a dance party, which is like really sweet, and so we all collectively, you know, got together and were able to find him, and two members of the group weirdly took over financially. Who knows what happened with that money did all this stuff. One of the girls is women. Her name is Cassandra Fairbanks, which if you google her, that's a whole other episode. I don't even He's super liberal and is now like far right crazy crazy.
Speaker 2: It's like that's a conspiracy theory. She's now working for like far at conspiracy theory websites, is what the Internet says.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that's a leap. She used to be like vote for Bernie and the groups and like women's rights and trans rites and all these things, and overnight, out of nowhere, she just switched. But kind of before that happened, she was involved in the dancing man thing, and uh, they ended up throwing a party for him and it was like cute and they like ended up on the news, but then they squeezed everyone else out, and who knows what happened with all the money. That we raised. I don't know, God, I don't know, because a lot of celebrities donated stuff too, so I was like, they probably don't need our twenty dollars venol.
Speaker 4: Then yeah, I think I donated to that. So I was very invested that.
Speaker 3: All kind of went weirdly downhill. There's a lot of.
Speaker 1: That was my opening of cognitive critical thing of like, this group might not be perfect.
Speaker 2: Wait, what was your understanding of what happened, Megan? Because I missed that whole thing.
Speaker 1: That everybody was getting together to throw this man a party to dance with him, because the meme that was shared was so heartbreaking, and that it was going to be this beautiful group effort and it's the heart of Gno, We're all coming together. And then suddenly two I think it was two people were giving the interviews and kind of using it as self promotion and completely ignoring the fact that this was not a about them. It took a giant group effort to do. And people started commenting on it in girls, I know, like, this is so wrong. People are taking responsibility for something they didn't do. And now that I know Vivian wasn't involved directly with that, it makes sense of why those things were allowed to stay up, because usually she would delete things that attacked her. But that's that somehow cracked through my my cognitive dissonance, and I was like, oh damn that girls.
Speaker 3: Definitely the beginning of the end of like this is getting weird, just like you said it. Definitely, you know, your steady senses go off a little. You're like, this is like something is off about this. But that was a crazy time. And then it turned out, I want to say, that guy's from London or something. It turned out that his job was looking for him because he was in trouble for some kind of fraud. People were looking for him. So when that story came out, that came out or like this guy is a good guy just because someone you know, and who knows if that picture even I don't believe anything on the internet anymore. Who knows that if that picture was just him like putting looking down because he was like looking for his wallet, they can get that photo. And then someone just spread this whole thing. But yeah, it turned out that that guy wasn't.
Speaker 2: Even you know, wow, I mean, that is an honest mistake that that does happen all the time where like someone on the internet seems so sympathetic and then you and then you learn stuff about them. I just I'm just struck by like how I mean, I kind of already said it, but just like how hard it could be to parse because you are ostensibly doing good things, You're trying to do the right thing. And in so many of these situations where people are trying to do the right thing, I mean, so many cults start out with really wonderful intentions and ideas. You know, I always talk about the People's Temple. Jim Jones was promoting like harmony between racis and a multi racial coalition church and you know, like anti racism. So like there's there's always that like great thing that is making it seem appealing and making it hard to kind of just realize, like hard to decipher between Wait, aren't we doing something good though? And like wait, are we doing this too much?
Speaker 4: Wait?
Speaker 2: Is this just about actually promoting the leaders are Oh they're taking my money. Oh they're like they're turning us all into black and white thinkers. Like it happens gradually over time, and it's so much harder when like, ostensibly it's about doing the right thing, you.
Speaker 3: Know exactly, and like, like I said earlier, we were doing great stuff and all all the members for the most part, were awesome and still are, so you know, you're not. Everywhere you look isn't bad. It's like, oh, I love this person, Like these girls are great, and these women are awesome, and yeah, all this stuff and raising all this money and helping this unhelped woman with her kids for Christmas, and raising money for this and what. You know, as soon as money gets involved in any way, things get a little bit more weird. And the money thing just started happening a little bit more often, which was another red flag where I was like, why are we But you know, it'd be like ten dollars here, fifteen dollars here, twenty dollars here. Then looking back, I'm like, oh my god, like cent probably like three hundred like last the last like four months, which is not a lot of money, but no, it is out about like a thousand people. Gosh, I wonder how much money that is.
Speaker 2: You know? All right, right, she got.
Speaker 3: Pretty grifty about, Oh, let's do the math. There's a thousand of you. If you each send me ten dollars for to help out such and such. It could be made up. She's getting three thousand dollars or you know, thirty thousand dollars at the end of the month. After a while, it's just like, I don't know how much money from this group. The crazier part, if we're going to talk anything money, was she wanted to turn G and I, which turned into a whole company. She turned it into an LLC because she wanted to start like a marijuana business and wanted to use She changed the name this is so funny. Changed the group named Girl Cults. There was there was like inside jokes, like or like everyone thinks part cult and it's like, oh my god that we were joke.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because they have to they have to make I know, it's kind of.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's to like get ahead of the crowd of like whatever, and then you turn into an inside joke so that you don't take it seriously. We even had members who were pretty heavy into like the fashion design world, you know, back when left was like a thing, those kind of brands. I forget the exact brand, but one of the girls made a limited addition shirt that said I'm a member of a secret Internet cult, and like they only printed a certain amount and like this the shirts were like this big inside secret joke thing or like you kind of like a secret handshake type thing. But yeah, clothes, and we had a few shirts, like there was shirts that we would wear and whatever, and you would occasionally see someone out and be like, oh my gosh, like you're a girl cult And she turned it into an LLC and was like, we can all have a percentage of this company. I just need to raise money to you know, pay for the LLC. Everyone just chipping like ten fifteen bucks and like together, we're like revolutionizing like all this stuff that we're doing and turning it into this whole thing, and we're going to make so much. We're gonna make a huge difference in the world, and we're going to be this big company and everyone and whatever like, oh my god. Exciting, Like we're like becoming like this whole thing. And so what's ten fifteen dollars? Who cares?
Speaker 2: Well, we all did it, and I'm guessing no one who was contributing to that investment had any stake in this company.
Speaker 3: Of course, we didn't think our stak was. We got to say that we got scammed out of fifteen and twenty dollars'll be mad and then you know, the money stuff just got weirder and weirder. And one of her designer dogs was very sick and needed to be euthanized at home, so we all chipped in for that because she was freaking out she didn't have the funds to do that with you know, the home. The home services are much more expensive than bringing them into the vet. So we all were like, oh my gosh, like, of course, anything for this sweet puppy, older dog. But we all sent in, you know, money to have that happen. And we checked on her for a couple of days like are you okay, Like that's such a huge loss, and then I'm not kidding you. I want to say, two days later she posts a new puppy of another designer dog that she bought stop with our money that gave her to put down her other dog, because if she had enough money, like are you doing the math? Like we send her this money for the for the dog, and instead of sending anything back or being like, oh guys, don't she clearly had enough to get an entire newss.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, So are these kind of the cracks that are starting to occur for you and the illusion.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, the cracks are growing and spider webbing and getting bigger and more frequent, and not just for me, as everyone was starting to sniff around for like that's weird, you know. On the side text start like yeah, dog, everyone listen. Everyone grieves differently. I'm not judging anyone whatever choice for me personally, I when my cat passed away, I was not thinking about getting another cat within two days, like I just wouldn't be ready again. Everyone does that differently, but I was like, that's kind of bonkers to me, Like, yeah, replacing your dog with the same kind two days later and it's.
Speaker 4: A designer dog. After yelling at people for years to not do that, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and after taking her moody to put down her other dog. But you know, no one forced to give this money. So it's like, hey, you know, like the lesson lesson learned, and you know, I might have given three hundred dollars the whole time I was in their total, including donating to people in need who directly caught it, but a lot of other members gave a lot lot more.
Speaker 2: I was gonna ask.
Speaker 3: And you want to feel important, and yeah, irreplaceable.
Speaker 2: So did people start calling her out on this like.
Speaker 3: So a little. I don't know if they did in the group, but I think people were like, hey, friend, Like I was not as close to her as other members, Like I didn't hang out with her one on one. I didn't go to a lot of the events just because I was like, this kind of feels weird all of a sudden. But I think some of her close friends were like, dude, like what was that? What was that all about? And like money makes things weird with anyone close friends, culture not you know, but yeah, people we're starting to be like this is off, and then you know, I want to say there was like there's definitely like a final story of like the financial stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this was all the tea. I didn't know, Like I kept hearing girls like whisper about how things had gone really shady in G and I and how things had gotten really culty in G and I long before we had this podcast. This is what everybody was kind of whispering, but nobody would ever give me specifics. Like I knew there were financial questions and allegations, and I knew there were I the sort of inklings that I got were that were Yeah, like to use Megan's word, like that there was a collateral type of thing happening in the group where people's secrets would be used against them. Was that were they ever actually used against them or was it just sort of like this hanging threat that people were anxious about.
Speaker 3: So I don't know if it was Vivian specifically or if it was ex members of the group who felt better. But yeah, like things got leaked, people's pictures got shared, people's posts in the group got screenshot and posted publicly. A lot of women in the group are sex workers whose identity needs to stay private and safe. Some of those women got doxed. Oh yeah, so it did thankfully for me. I posted maybe like one cute lingerie photo in the group and like, look, girls, I feel cute, and like maybe one recycled but to like some random person's boyfriend in twenty sixteen, So like, I didn't, you know, share too much, but I there are things in there that I hope are not screenshop but you never know. But yeah, things got leaked, people's pictures did get shared, people's secrets got posted, and yeah, are.
Speaker 2: There any connection between like people who had sort of spoken out or disagreed with Vivian and were then.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, there were a couple of people that that happened to. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 3: And again I can't tell if it was her who posted it, because I think some of these leaks were anonymous. Someone had started a whole blog they did.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna take a wild guess that it's her.
Speaker 1: You you did say one thing that was really interesting to me, so in the group I was raised in the two by two is if somebody left, they were immediately called better. And I did hear Vivian say that word a couple times in Girls Night Out, where if somebody was kicked out, she'd be like, they're better, They're mad, And I'd be like, yeah, better is such a low key, like good cult tactic I found.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, that's.
Speaker 2: It immediately delegitimizes any critique that they might have of the group, and it immediately creates it denigrates them. It creates an us versus them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they just sound like such a lame hater, like a better just like like in the crying like.
Speaker 3: It definitely just like minimizes their truth, which is like I just couldn't do it. Anymore, you know, right, But yeah, I know people who's who are still kind of recovering from the doxing and wow, life ruining, just like private things about the relationships and my gosh, preferences that are.
Speaker 2: Turns out it wasn't such a safe space.
Speaker 3: I was trust no one really.
Speaker 2: I have a short film that I made called The Safe Space, which was not I didn't know any of the inner workings of this particular group, but I know I would notice some patterns along these lines in some of these Facebook groups. Some of them were fine and great, but that was what inspired my short The Safe Space, which is about a safe is it turns out to not be safe for the members who.
Speaker 1: Do not Is this ending?
Speaker 3: It's already I'll check it out.
Speaker 2: It's very short, it's two minutes long. But yeah, it's it's online if anyone wants to see it, because yeah, it's it would it seemed, yeah, it was. It scared me. That era of Facebook groups scared me because you would join something thinking that it is a safe place, and then you would see it would become just like more and more aggressive and hostile and like more about more about conforming and then about like having a community or connecting or like learning in a healthy way you know.
Speaker 3: Yep, yeah, terrifying. It's terrib Yeah, it's so good and a lot of it is good. Again, I met some really amazing women in that group, and I'm still friends with a lot of them, you know, because it's not about the members being bad as much as the environment and like the leaders.
Speaker 2: So well that's the thing. It's like it gets hijacked and that, and like that's what takes time to kind of figure out, is like, oh, is this person like healthy leader or is this person like yeah, you know, low key, kind of narcissistic or have possessing.
Speaker 3: Like three episodes, there's just so many, I knows to it. Yeah, pretty crazy And do you have just that money thing was wild. She had her own car shop that she promoted as women owned, and it wasn't And she was like working at this auto shop body shop place. And I found out later I don't know if it's true or not, but it was like circulating that she was committing like insurance fraud.
Speaker 4: I do not doubt doubt that at all.
Speaker 3: Everything that she did kind of had some kind of weird, grifty foundation.
Speaker 1: Absolutely so put a voice to these rumors. Can you just kind of talk us through how you woke up and how you got out and what was kind of going on around you.
Speaker 3: I initially got out of the group kind of it sort of crumbled on its own. I was not active in it for a while, kind of after the dog thing, and you know, there was just so much going on in the world. I want to say, this was happening during the Black Lives Matter movement first coming out, and if anyone knows about this group, they know what this is going to be. But she was doing like mutual aid and going out to protest and bringing water and bringing food and snacks and having everyone venmo her to provide water for everyone at the protest, and was making like an Amazon wish list for things or said she was going to but in the meantime to cash up her and venmo her. And we're like, of course, and we see, you know, her posting on her stories that she's at these and she is handing out water, so you're like, okay, Like I I can see my money going somewhere. Although maybe she only bought like a case of forty and got like four hundred dollars. I don't know. But the thing that her downfall, which is so crazy, was she had posted a pair of shoes that she wanted with a link and said, I really want these shoes for the protest since I'm walking around so much, I could really use like a pair of shoes, and everyone was like, what you need protest shoes?
Speaker 4: Like what were the shoes? I have to know, I.
Speaker 3: Don't remember, Like I would probably equate it to maybe some like on Clouds or something where they're like not she, They're like, you know, on clous to start like one twenty or something go up to like two hundred bucks. I think they were like frere and also like what we just all venoed you what shoes were you wearing this whole time? Like just wear those? And then she's had like a specific, like kind of snobby pair of shoes and we were all just like what for what? And was just that kind of forced everyone to like take a step back and be like what is going on? And then it just turned out, you know, everyone was sending her so much money and she was bringing like I don't know, ten sandwiches and like a case of Costco waters. I don't know, I don't know, I'm not saying she didn't help at those things. But after all those incidents, like you know, with the dog thing and the LLC thing and all all the stuff, We're like, the math isn't mathing, and I think I'm in a cult?
Speaker 4: What does that feel like?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, what were you?
Speaker 3: It was crazy. It wasn't a shocking as you would think, because there are moments where like, this is kind of culty, but I sort of like it. I feel like anything where you like in a sorority, it's kind of culty, and like people are fine with that, and you know, like there's there's structures socially where that kind of stuff happens. And we made a joke that its occults. But then I was like, oh my god. And you know, when that downfall started happening with the protest shoes, we all started being like, hey, like, are you guys feeling what I'm feeling? Like, yeah, I feel like this is weird, Like, oh my god, like is this a cult? Like kind of realized it together at the same time, so it wasn't as scary as like me being the only one trying to escape and everyone threatening me or me feeling like I'm in danger. Because I want to say she like deleted her Facebook or like closed the group because everyone started kind of bringing up like what's going on, like what we're and also whatever happened to this money and this money and whatever happened with the LLC, and she just kind of went into hiding and we all sort of tried to scramble and brainstorm together, all the members, but.
Speaker 4: So she shut down the group.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I don't really remember, because I don't know if it's like so much time has passed or if it was just like my chalmar brains, like don't even think about it, how embarrassing, but the group got deleted or something like everything got deleted. I think there were a couple other admins who felt afraid because all of our stuff was in there, and no one wanted anything screenshot for her to retaliate or anything, because here's this big, powerful person when it comes to personal lif information powerful. So I think one of the eminents went in there and just like shut it all down because everything was it got bad real fast, all at once. But my experience was not super shocked or scared again because we all realized it, you know, it kind of crumbled on it having to leave. Yeah, but yeah, it took many, many months and for some a lot of people like years, and people are still kind of dealing with the trauma that that group brought out. Yeah, it was crazy.
Speaker 2: Do you have friends who left, maybe before the whole thing collapsed and like experienced fear and repercussions because of that.
Speaker 3: You have friends who left, but they weren't super involved. They just kind of felt weird or just like you know, they left and they didn't feel super affected either way. I know a couple of people who left or maybe got kicked out. I can't quite remember because again this was around twenty nineteen already, but they were not good like when they did, because I think it was like a kicked out type thing. And then one of those people got docked and their screenshots got shared, so they were not good and they felt, yeah, afraid for their safety and their privacy. A lot of it was just really private.
Speaker 4: Stuff, right, like some.
Speaker 3: Crazy confessions went down and there, and again it was a diary, but a thousand people had the key, which is right, right, we're scared.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was never in g and I I guess I must have just seen it. Like some was like seeing people write about it, because I definitely like knew it existed and like wondered why I hadn't been added to it. Maybe, but I still remember even muting GNO the larger group because some of the threads would just be so combative and like hostile. Yeah, and it just felt like non stop drama, And I was like, I'm going to just remove myself from seeing this in my feed because this is Trussie.
Speaker 3: It was like an energy stock for sure. Some sometimes Yeah.
Speaker 2: And that was just like the big the big group that wasn't even the inner cert of stuff at all. So I can only imagine we.
Speaker 3: Would make fun of GNO all the time in GNI, like.
Speaker 1: We would make that yeah, yeah, I would have been sending boob pictures.
Speaker 4: And pachologically my secrets all day.
Speaker 3: Psychologically it was just like so scrumptious, like yeah, yamyam yam. I don't know how else to describe.
Speaker 2: It, scrumptious.
Speaker 1: So how did you start to rebuelb after this blow to your your like view of life?
Speaker 3: I again, wasn't so so so involved that I feared for my safety or anything like that. I it's kind of embarrassing to be like, oh my God, I was in.
Speaker 1: Call It's like, well, that's what this podcast is about, because it's not of course.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, I just think, well, you know, I'm in a cult and I don't really realize that, like ha ha, it's a girl cult. Like it's a joke. And I'm sitting here like watching a documentary on a cult. I'm like my mouth full trip, I'm like talk people mosel stupid, and I'm like watching it, I'm like this whole time, I'm so that was uh, it was just a little uh embarrassing. I my a lot of my friends were deeply traumatized and troubled by everything that happened. So I think for me, it was more me feeling for other people and just feeling terrible that like how do we not know this earlier? Like I should have known earlier? And you know, guy, did you not to do that or not say that? And you know, like you can't you can't really look back and think of it that way. But I'm I'm fine from it, you know, like certain things are achey to talk about and certain things I completely forgot about and learning things about Vivian, you know, about like the underage possible like trafficking people. You're like, oh my god, I gave money to that person. I helped that person. I looked up to that person. So it was like, once everything kind of came to the surface, I was like kind of eeked out, but like, eh, like I helped this person who actually ruined a lot of people's lives, and you know, caused a lot of pain and trauma in people's lives. So for me, the experience looking back is like, I wish I didn't never help that person when I feel bad for everyone who's been deeply affected by it.
Speaker 2: Where is Vivia now? What's going on with her?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I mean, those paparazzi photos came out.
Speaker 4: What paparazzi photos the.
Speaker 3: Dave Grol debacle. Someone from the group or I don't know if it's g and I or GNO or someone who couldn't get into G nine and was bitter as you said. Docsed a few people and their phone numbers and Vivian's whereabouts and gave information to the Daily Mail, it seems, and they took paparazzi photos of Vivian.
Speaker 1: So Dave girl Foo fighters he's in the news right now. He got somebody that's not his wife pregnant, and there are rumors and pictures of him with Vivian, And now the people were wondering if she was the baby mama.
Speaker 4: She I do not.
Speaker 3: She is not.
Speaker 1: No, but that was a rumor on the Daily Mail for a moment. But yeah, she's just kind of come back in the zeitgeist. Is why was she hanging out with this man all the time? And you know, Dave girl sucks. And then from that article I was transferred to another article was like this is how bad Vivian is.
Speaker 4: This is what she was doing.
Speaker 1: And I was like, oh damn's she's being like outed once again.
Speaker 4: She just comes up every couple of years.
Speaker 3: Is like, yes, yes, and it's always very juicy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but she's not the baby mama, so the rumor is false. And also I just have to say, like people cheat on each other all the time. I don't think it's ethical, but I don't necessarily think that warrants like being your whole life being uprooted and canceled over that.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: I don't think we're saying cheating is abuse, right, That's like a different thing. But it just is bringing up this stuff from her past.
Speaker 3: It's bringing up stuff because she used to brag in the groups about hanging out with him and him coming over and him paying for her bills and all these things. So when when the news surfaced that he went outside of his marriage with some form of relationship, everyone was like, who was it Vivian because she would always talk about that kind of stuff. So then like, you know, people are making tiktoks like does anyone I think this is about Vivian? And people were posting on Facebook, like you know, sharing the article and being like we all know who are thinking about like without that, So it just kind of spread like wildfire. And then people who wanted to I don't know, weirdly monetize off of that just kind of reached out to weird daily mail people and I don't know weird and I you know, I don't think anyone really deserves their privacy being invaded or you know, people being followed and photos being taken. You know, it's the whole thing was pretty icky. Yeah, she did not look happy in the photos, and I think people kind of liked that she didn't look happy. So I have no feeling about that. I don't think it's right to you know, give out people's personal information because some of her ex friends, like people who are close to her got docked and people shared their numbers. I don't talk to that person anymore, like why are you calling me? And like bring up this person? So it just kind of started up a lot of things that didn't need to.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, it's messy. It's messy. Like I think that like J and I was obviously extremely problematic. Obviously Vivian's history is checkered. It's hard to verify which allegations are real and which are not. But I also like it starts to make me feel like the internet is perpetuating the same thing when we're fixating on looking for all the things publicizing someone else's private things if it did not involve like abuse or something that was actually.
Speaker 3: Exploitation, right, it's just like it's gets messy. But you know, gossip is gossip, and it was a very gossipy article for a.
Speaker 2: Very yeah platform, So yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't blame them for like, yeah, really trying to wring out the towel.
Speaker 1: But I kind of think cheating without production is a little abusive.
Speaker 2: You can get things, But also I just like for sure, but I also just like so many people make mistakes like that in their life, and there's so the situations like are not in them, we don't know what's going on. We also don't know who has arrangements and doesn't you know, Like it's yeah, I just think that's the kind of thing that should stay between partners, unless unless someone was genuinely hurt, you.
Speaker 3: Know, Yeah, if you don't want anyone to know, don't do it for everything in life, and.
Speaker 2: Best if you're famous.
Speaker 4: Actually yeah, you.
Speaker 3: Really, Yeah, that's it's so easy to just well that's kind.
Speaker 1: Of probably one of the takeaways you took from this experience is like oh damn, like just don't do what my gut instinct is telling me to do.
Speaker 3: And yeah, but again like uh, those kind of things happened really slowly, slowly, little little, a little little, and all of a sudden, something's normal. So because you know, of course, looking back, I can't believe girls were sending pictures like that to a complete stranger of a man just because we know his girlfriend, like we're all you know, I look back, I'm like, that's crazy. But if you see it little by little happen, then all of a sudden, it's normal. Then you're like okay, then you're desensitized and the next thing is not so crizy. That's what I'm.
Speaker 2: Saying, Like we are all capable of engaging and behaviors that aren't aligned with what we would normally want, depending on the circumstances we're in, especially in a group like that. Like that's the whole thing. It does. It wears down your sense of like what you would normally do and what does feel aligned with yourself ethically, So like it, yeah, I mean pretty crazy. I want to know, like you know, to someone who wasn't in this era of Internet and is in like a new era of Internet, like what do you what would you consider like some of the red flags to look out for?
Speaker 3: Red flags? I mean, I if you again, if you don't want anyone to know, don't do it. If you don't want Here's the thing. The Internet is forever, like no matter what you're doing, no matter how safe you think you're being, the Internet's basically forever. So don't really you can't really trust anyone. You don't really know anyone, and that happens all the time. I'm not saying to live life completely closed off, but you know, have your own safety and character in mind before wanting to be perceived by someone else, If that makes sense.
Speaker 4: I don't like have a journal and a therapist.
Speaker 3: You know, prioritize your own self care and like self allness, right, and don't rely on like you know, I mean, community is important, and having safety and you know, protection in friendship and social relationships with women is important. But it's like always go with your gut. If there's like one thing that you're like, this kind of seems weird, Like I should have left at dancing, man, you know what I mean, I should have like left off, like I don't really need this, but I think I think being perceived in this town is such an addiction, like especially in LA and like wanting to be important and wanting to be known and wanting to be popular. It's just those kind of things don't really leave people's brains just because they leave high school and like leave college and leave their sorority. It's like all those things you still want to be the best. It's just human nature, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, high schools forever, which is so sad to think. It's so sad always like that.
Speaker 4: It's more like middle school forever.
Speaker 3: Yeah true, yeah, yeah, yeah. I guess the red flags they're just you know, don't if someone is asking you to be someone that you're not, that's a red flag. No matter how cool it seems or how edgy or whatever. You know, it's it's tricky. And have good people around you to be like, I think you're gonna cull find your something good people, And like as soon as you're being isolated or told to keep things a secret, like that's as soon as you're a little kid, your mom's like playing most secrets, like tell Molly and everything, most secrets, and then suddenly like living in a secret nothing from first grade.
Speaker 1: And I think, like, like it's just important to remember that every single good thing in the world is good going to be infiltrated.
Speaker 4: By somebody trying to exploit it.
Speaker 1: Sounly, I keep hearing the Bridesmaid's quote whenever you talk Rosy, she's like, never trust anybody.
Speaker 4: Remember that.
Speaker 1: No, you don't know, I might be like misquoting it, but she's like, never trust anybody. And you know, like positive movements they get those little yucky people sucked in and they're sociopaths, so they rise to the top as immediately and then suddenly you know something that looks really and it's just yeah, your discretion always has to be used, no matter how safe a space feels.
Speaker 3: Not to make people paranoid, but.
Speaker 1: Just thank you for sharing about this group that we've been so curious about. It's hard to find a Girl's Night In member who is willing to speak to us, so we're so grateful that you are kind of giving us the tea and the whole story.
Speaker 4: I'm shuck.
Speaker 1: All I knew was dancing, man, I did not know the shoes. That's wild that that's.
Speaker 3: What I'm sure there's some kind of Reddit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but that's what took us down.
Speaker 1: Is just perfect, you know, the of course you would ask for shoes, but yeah, thank you.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Yeah for sure.
Speaker 2: Okay, uh well we both know if we would join, because we were in the larger group and probably wanted to be in Girls' Night In, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, would have been sending all sorts of pics all day long.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Like, I didn't necessarily feel like this group was my community so much, but I definitely like, I think something about the secretive nature of it made me just want to know what was happening. I'm like, well, I don't want to be out of the loop.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: In my experience, it was that like five of my really good friends were in it, and we had a group chat about the drama. Oh you didn't like did you see the ridiculous thing Blah posted and the responses and like it was just kind of a funny like a Twitter account almost for a side group text.
Speaker 2: Right right, right, right. Yeah. I was never that close in it. I just like all these acquaintances and whispers and rumors, and I just more was like, what's happening? Why am I not in there? But yeah, you know, you were making a point before we started recording about how the safer the group feels you can finish the thought.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I was just kind of musing that I feel like the more niche and safe the group starts out, the more likely somebody predatory is going to find it, infiltrate it, and find a way to use it for their own gain. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's just so hard because it's like you don't want to you don't want to foster like a sense of total distrust of the world, Like that's not healthy for our psychees. There are so like, yeah, it's but you're right, like there is every I think basically, like every group needs to have accountability and every group needs to like have a leader who like gets allows feedback and accepts feedback and has conversations. And if those aren't happening, then no, no group deserves implicit trust without Yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: It's a hard it's a hard pill to swallow because I don't know, the Internet kind of sets us up for giant dopamine heads from being part of the tribe. And yeah, that's still fine, but uh, you know, maybe Nora can show us how to think twice before you go any deeper.
Speaker 2: Indeed, and also as a reminder to I think this story serves as a reminder to like take note of even the small concessions, because the small they always start small. They never open with the big stuff, you know, it's always like a little bit and a little bit. And then I think it's like, Okay, if someone's asking you to make small concessions or do things you wouldn't normally do that don't seem like a big deal at the time, are you able to question it? Are you allowed to voice a different opinion? Because if you are then maybe it's okay because we all make mistakes and you know, groupthink happens to all of us. But if you aren't allowed to question it, then that's exactly probably when you should be right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, damn well, lots to think about, lots to integrate. We can't wait to see you again here next week. Please rate us five stars if you like what we're doing, and as always, remember.
Speaker 4: To follow your gut, watch out for red flags.
Speaker 2: And never ever trust me me Bye. Trust Me is produced by Kirsten Woodward, Gabby Rapp and Steve Delemator.
Speaker 1: With special thanks to Stacy Para.
Speaker 2: And our theme song was composed by Holly amber Church.
Speaker 1: You can find us on Instagram at trust Me Podcast, Twitter at trust Me Cult Pod, or on TikTok at trust Me Cult Podcast.
Speaker 2: I'm Ula Lola on Instagram and Ola Lola on Twitter.
Speaker 1: And I am Megan Elizabeth eleven on Instagram and Abraham Hicks on Twitter.
Speaker 2: Remember to rate and review and spread the word