Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Larry Fitzgerald in the on deck circle for the Pro Football Hall of Fame coming up this Saturday, seventeen seasons as the Cardinals wide receiver, eleven time Pro Bowler and second NFL receiving touchdown leader and part of the All Decade Team first ballot Hall of Fame. Running down the list. Uh, pretty good resume there, Larry, Congratulations on the honor. How long would it take for you to get ready? If you know, like we're waiting for Aaron Donald, how long would it take for you to get ready for this season?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I think that ship is so no, there's no coming back for me, you know. I you know, thinking about what Aaron's you know, he's one of those guys. He's a fitness freak though. You know, he's a big guy, and you know, he just constantly stays in shape. That's kind of part of his rituals. So I think his bounce back will be a lot quicker. But to be out of the game for a few years and get back into that the trenches, the double teams and all of the things.
Speaker 5: That he's got to deal with, you know's that's quite impressive.
Speaker 2: You think he's coming back.
Speaker 5: I think he's one of.
Speaker 4: Those guys who loves the game and he's going back to a team who legitimately has a great chance to be able to win a championship with the dishon the miles Garrett. You put those two and you know, Young and a couple of other guys in that defensive front, you know, they present a forumidable challenge for any offensive line and scheme that they would play against. And he obviously, you know with Puka, Davonte Adams and you know Kuren Williams, you know Kerwin and I mean they're loaded over there.
Speaker 2: What is it about pitt Guys? How did you end up at Pitt.
Speaker 4: Dan It was actually a crazy story Matrins of coordinator Guy Rest. His soul's name was ed Cole. He was taking me in a couple of my teammates and unificial visits. So we went to University Illinois, we went to Notre Dame, were Ohio State, and we were on our way to Penn State. It was a really really bad, uh you know, rainstorm or the turnpike. So they actually shut the turnpike down based on visibility and so stay trooper shut it down. My coach said, hey, we can't get up there. We call Penn State let them know what happened. They said, can we can? We reschedule it for the following day. So we had a full day in Pittsburgh and coach Cole said, hey, we're here in town, why don't we just go visit University of Pittsburgh. You know Dan Marinos, Tony dur said, Curtis Martin. He started naming off all the great players, and I said, yeah, let's let's just go by. Literally, we go over, we meet Wildhare, Shady, Brooke Hard, you know, all the coaching staff there. They had no idea who I was. We end up leaving the next day. We're driving the Penn State. They called my coach's cell phone. They offered me a scholarship, and it just kind of started from there.
Speaker 2: So if you don't have that rainstorm, you might not have ended up at.
Speaker 4: Pitt There's no chance I would have been there because they didn't really they don't.
Speaker 5: They don't recruit Minnesota.
Speaker 4: That's not some place they actually go, and so there's zero percent chance I would have gone there.
Speaker 2: When did you know you were good?
Speaker 4: I would say when I was when I was young, I mean, I was always better than everybody I played against, even at seven years old.
Speaker 5: But everybody used to always say, you're.
Speaker 4: From Minnesota, you know you play you know you played three eight three a high school football.
Speaker 5: Your competition's horrible. And so I had that seated doubt.
Speaker 4: In my mind a little bit that the competition was just that bad. And then I got to college, and about week two I realized that I had what it to not only just be there, but actually be a good player. And if I continue to stay on n trajectory, I might have a chance.
Speaker 2: And of course, your dad was a longtime sports writer. You're up there in Minnesota covering the Vikings, you get to be a ball boy. You've talked about that experience many times. But the fact that Randy moss Is knocks on your door to tell you you're going into the Hall of Fame take us back to the first time you met Randy moss.
Speaker 5: So my first memory of Randy is pretty vivid. I was a ball boy, and being a couple.
Speaker 4: Of ball boys, we're actually in the gym at Mankato State, and it was they could walk through the gym to head to the practice field and we were in there playing basketball, shooting horse and Randy had to walk through out there, so they were getting ready to walk through, and it was his birthday.
Speaker 5: I think he held out of camp for.
Speaker 4: You know, a day or two or so, I can't remember, but it was his first day, so it was a huge anticipation and obviously, you know, we'd all followed his journey at Marshall and he wanted to see him. And I remember him like throws the ball and he hit like two three pointers from like about two feet behind the three point line, and then before he before he comes and he dunks it outside you know, it's like you know, the circle there, and he dunks it and he walks out, and I'm like, oh my gosh, this is so unbelievable. I'm fourteen years old at the time and just so enamored and like that was my first experience in moss What.
Speaker 2: Was your welcome to the NFL moment?
Speaker 5: Happened Week two my rookie year. We played the New England Patriots and.
Speaker 4: I'll never forget I was I was going to running across the route and William McGinnis like rearranged my whole face masses back when they used to really like collision you and he was. He was dropping out in the coverage and I wasn't paying attention and he decapitated me. I got up, and then my coach was like, you gotta be more physically, you gotta be more physical.
Speaker 5: So there's quarters. I come up and I hit Rodney here.
Speaker 4: Because as hard as I can drop them on the ground, and to look in his eyes, he's chasing me back to the huddle. And I get back to the sylum like, coach, why did you have me do to this man? It is absolutely crazy? And he proceeded to chase me around the rest of the game. I could not wait till that game was over, and I realized, like, why the Patriots defense. You know they had Teddy Bruski and Mike Brabel and Ted Johnson, and I mean, like these dudes were Vince will Fork. I mean these dudes were massive, physical, mean, aggressive, angry men. And I learned that at twenty years old very quickly.
Speaker 2: I could imagine Rodney Harrison was gonna get you back, because Rodney Rodney got everybody. I remember, he told me that he got fined or got suspended. He had a shot on Jerry Rice across the middle. He said, I took him out. That's what you're supposed to do. Game's changed a little bit since that.
Speaker 4: Larry, it has it has. I think it's much better. Guys could play a lot longer, and you know, I think we need we needed to make the game a little bit safer. It's it's it's not as nearly as violent going across that middle. You know, the Steve at Waters and the Joey Browners and the Jack Tatums of the world, you know, will be very disappointed in a way we play game.
Speaker 2: Now we're talking, Larry Fitzgerald, got the big speech coming up. How many times you practiced it?
Speaker 5: I practiced it a ton of times, actually working.
Speaker 4: Very closely with colleague of yours, Jerry Madaline, you know, helping me kind of get trying to get prepared for it, so, you know, five or six times a day, so to make sure I have it have it down pad on Saturday.
Speaker 2: Okay, our tears in the script.
Speaker 5: Tears were never in the script. You know, you know that, but you never know how you're going to respond.
Speaker 4: You know, you see family and friends and people who have really played a massive role in your life, shitting in the front, and you know, I just don't know how I'm going to respond to to them, you know, if they're emotional, or one of my kids is emotional.
Speaker 5: You know things you can't really practice that.
Speaker 2: And your son is going to induct you.
Speaker 4: Yes, sir, my oldest son, Devin, He's going to come out and do it. I'm really really happy. I was going to originally have my father do it before he passed away a couple of months ago. But you know, to be able to have my son do it, it's it's a tremendous honor and I'm so privileged to have that.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be tough when you see your son out there and he starts talking about dad.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I got my daughter's wedding coming up in two weeks and I got to give a speech, and I'm already a mess. I practice it every single day, and I'm I'm a mess when nobody is there listening to me. So I can't imagine what that's going to be like. You're gonna you're going to see your life in front of you with all teammates, former teammates and people from college and high school and you'll probably be a mess, and that's okay.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I definitely will be.
Speaker 4: Dan, let me ask you this, Are you going to be crying because of the speech and emotions or are you gonna be thinking about how much it.
Speaker 5: Costs you for your daughter's wedding? Will be?
Speaker 2: I already tried. I already cried about that. Yeh. Yeah. As I told people, it takes a village to put on a wedding. It takes a bank account as well to put on on a wedding. But yeah, I'm I'm going to be a mess and I don't know how to prevent myself from crying. Has anybody told you if you do this you might not cry, or this is the best thing to do to not be too emotional.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 4: I think that it will draw emotions, and people have told me it's going to be one of the most emotional things you've ever done. You know you have, You've been planned for thirty years and you know this is the culmination of that, the greatest honor you could ever have, and so it should be emotional. It shouldn't mean something to you. But I think the more you practice and the more you're prepared, you know when you do have those emotions, you can be able to work through it and get back to the messages you're trying to deliver.
Speaker 2: And acknowledging your father as well.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, Yeah, Pops played a big role.
Speaker 4: None of it would even be possible it wasn't for his sacrifices. You know, he put me in these positions around people that I could learn from and have some wonderful mentors.
Speaker 5: And so, you know, his presence and his.
Speaker 4: Breath of knowledge and fingerprints are all over my life.
Speaker 2: Go back to the Randy Moss loaning you his car when he went to prom What what kind of car was it that Randy Moss lent you?
Speaker 4: It was a It was a blue seven forty five l I I.
Speaker 5: Still remember like it was yesterday. It was. It was immaculine shape.
Speaker 4: And you know once a more detail I left out when I asked him about it was. You know, I didn't I didn't know. I didn't tell him that I didn't have my driver's license yet, and so.
Speaker 5: You know, and I don't know how. I don't know how your dad was.
Speaker 4: But my dad when he was home, because he was always traveling covering the twins in the summertime, he was in Kansas City or Detroit or Cleveland or Chicago company White Sox. So when he got home, he really didn't want to he was trying to be home, and so he would have throw me the keys to the Potiac and I would just get the drive up to the park and go practice and work out. And so he would always tell me to take the backstreet, so I felt like I could drive.
Speaker 5: I never went on the freeway or anything like that.
Speaker 4: Took the side street, so I felt like I was pretty I was pretty solid with the car. But I never really had anybody else in the car with me, you know, so it was a it was a memory. I got it back to them, no issues. I didn't I didn't tell my dates, mom and Daddy.
Speaker 5: That I didn't have a license.
Speaker 3: Ed.
Speaker 5: We kept all those things to ourselves.
Speaker 2: That's pretty cool. Can you can you thank your hands during your Hall of Fame speech for me? Just a little comic relief up there?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: Was it Freddie Mitchell who thanked his hands? Remember the Eagles wide receiver? I think you thanked his hands.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was that was hilarious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you're not You're not somebody who is.
Speaker 4: That's not really much. That's not really much, jam and uh, you know I feel like I did. I did have good hands, but I worked at it.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: It was thousands and thousands of hours of.
Speaker 4: You know, catching catching balls consistently to try to get them to where they were.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but see you didn't fall in line with the diva wide receivers that.
Speaker 5: I was just as big. I was just as big of a diva as everyone else. But I never I never did it in public.
Speaker 4: You know, I'd always keep it to myself or you know, if I had a question about targets, things that make sure I would do it in a way where you know, it wasn't showing up anybody or didn't put me in a position where I would, you know, seem to be more more worried about my own personal you know, ask and accomplishments than it was for my team. And so you know, I wanted it just as bad as anybody else did, but I knew there was a way to do it in a way not to do it, in my opinion.
Speaker 2: Congrats, been fun watching and uh you know this is uh, this is your moment. You've earned it, first Balance Hall of Famer. Good luck, this weekend.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Thank you great seeing you out of Tahoe, and graduations to you and your family on your daughter's wedding.
Speaker 5: And I hope you have an amazing time.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Larry.
Speaker 5: All Right, they have a great day.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Hey, It's Rob Parker and Calvin Washington from The Odd Couple on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 4: And in addition to hearing us live weeknights from seven to ten pm Eastern on Fox Sports Radio, we are excited to announce brand new YouTube channel for the show.
Speaker 2: That's right, you can now watch The Odd Couple live on YouTube every day.
Speaker 6: All you gotta do search Odd Couple FSR on YouTube again YouTube, Just search Odd Couple FSR.
Speaker 5: Check us out on YouTube and subscribe.
Speaker 2: He is the two time Amazon best selling author speak speaker. He was the bookmaker at the center of the show Hey U Tani Epei Mizuhara sports betting scandal. Matt Boyer was sentenced to one year in a day, pleading guilty for money laundering, falsified tax returns, illegal bookmaking. I talked to him after yesterday's show, and I started out by asking him, when is the first time you took a bet from Shoheu Toni's interpreter.
Speaker 7: I believe it's twenty twenty one, that the end of the the end of the season of twenty twenty one.
Speaker 2: How were you introduced?
Speaker 7: I actually met him at a poker game after I was introduced to him by going to a private poker game with some of the Angels players and coaches and friends at a local hilton in San Diego.
Speaker 2: When did you realize that he worked for show?
Speaker 3: Hay?
Speaker 7: I mean I knew right away, of course, I mean who it didn't right He was such a popular character, probably the most popular interpreter in the world thanks to show.
Speaker 2: Hey, of course, at what's your role as a bookie of keeping somebody betting? But also is there a sympathetic side to being a bookie when you realize somebody is in a lot of trouble?
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's a fine line.
Speaker 7: As a legal book maker, you're giving out reddit and it's a tough way of trying to make a living but also not being greedy and egotistical and then trying to maintain giving someone in a relationship to where you're not hurting their family or their.
Speaker 8: Situation with their bills or it's a very fine line.
Speaker 7: The more you get to know the person and more you understand them and what they do for a living, then the more you can help them. If they are having a gambling problem, which you know, I personally had one as well, so I understand that dynamic better than anyone. But you're right, it's a hard line to figure out. And sometimes oftentimes they're lying to you because they're gambling with you and they want to give you them an impression that it's not affecting them, you know, at home or financially, because they want to continue to bet with you or get credit or ask you for more credit. So those are the situations that come up. They're hard to I'm going to say, run and figure out, because when you are dealing with these people, you know, at least in my case, you have a heart. I mean, the last thing you want to see is if someone just losing more money than they can afford.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but at what point are you allowed or do you ask that's a lot of money you're betting, does show hey know you're betting this.
Speaker 8: Trith Be told. When EPA came to me, it was a tiny account.
Speaker 7: It was one thousand and eight thousand dollars credit line, so I, you know, initially I thought it was no big deal, and then that escalated very rapidly to the point of about thirty days later we were at a half a million to a million dollar credit line.
Speaker 8: And then I knew at that point it had.
Speaker 7: To be either show Hey or him together, or maybe he, you know, had some funds.
Speaker 8: I didn't know about him.
Speaker 7: You really don't know everyone's personal private lifestyle. Maybe he was a large investor in something. But then when I started getting into the point of millions and millions, then I knew that either.
Speaker 8: Show Hey was involved or they were partners.
Speaker 7: I wasn't really sure, and I didn't ask a lot of questions because animinity in my business when I was running a book making operation was key. I had a lot of clients in celebrities and athletes CEOs that were very private, and that's why they liked working with me because of that privacy.
Speaker 8: But at the same time, I was being paid, you know, five hundred thousand dollars every two weeks.
Speaker 7: So the greedy sided me of running a business and making a lot of money. Was just like, you know, everything's running smoothly. He's not even making any signs of you know, panicking or even really he was laughing and making fun of himself quite often. If you look at the text messages that the government, you know throughout which is there was quite a few of them, you could see us joking back and forth about both of us being degenerates and losing money through book makers, slash casinos, et cetera.
Speaker 2: So you didn't know that sho heey O Tani knew, not for a fact, right, Yeah.
Speaker 7: I mean I didn't have a relationship with show Hey at that time. He spoke very little English. And I've been around the team and some players. I used to play golf with some of the players and gamble with them, and quite a few of the Angels players were betting through my organization, but my relationship was with Dpey. I never spoke about anything outside of that to even the players, even like, for example, some of the players were betting with me, I wouldn't discuss their business with the other players.
Speaker 8: That being said, I don't think a lot of these guys knew.
Speaker 7: I'm saying I'm talking about the Angels players knew the extent of what was going on because the EPA was very private, didn't have a lot to say, you know, very wanted things to be low key.
Speaker 8: I realized now why at.
Speaker 7: The time I thought, personally, I thought show Hay was betting with him because of the amount of bets that they were making and.
Speaker 8: Clearly the amount of money that was being wired.
Speaker 7: I just figured he had to have known, especially with that long period of time and you're seeing five hundred thousand more wires come out about to count every two weeks for.
Speaker 8: Basically a year and a half.
Speaker 7: I just, even to this day, I still don't understand how showhy didn't wasn't aware.
Speaker 8: I do believe wholeheartedly that he never gambled.
Speaker 7: I don't think he was placing any of the bets or involved in that part at all.
Speaker 2: He s Matt Boyer, two time Amazon best selling author and at the center of the show, Heyutani, if a music Haara sports betting scandal, how many athletes give us a sense are betting this way that you dealt with that we're betting through a booking.
Speaker 7: I estimate at least fifty sixty percent it's probably even higher because the reality is everyone's using third party people and beards and people to vet through.
Speaker 8: You know, let's be real competitive.
Speaker 7: Athletes are very competitive in everything they do, and sports is. If you're a sports fan, as you and I both are, we watch all sports.
Speaker 8: And whether you gamble or not, you generally like to have some sort.
Speaker 7: Of play in the game, whether it's fantasy betting. A friend, you know, you go, I don't know about you. Do you even golf?
Speaker 5: Dan?
Speaker 2: I golf. I'm a guy who gambled a long, long, long time ago and quit cold turkey?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Do you so you don't gamble on the golf course? Five bucks? Seven bucks?
Speaker 3: Nothing?
Speaker 8: Okay, that's rare, right.
Speaker 7: I mean, if you go to a golf course, you'll see that most people that golf, whether they gamble a lot or little, it's usually a dollar or five dollars, twenty dollars whatever. Most people gamble almost everything they do when it comes to that, I think athletes are even higher because the fact they're so competitive and they like to win it all cost.
Speaker 2: But these there's current athletes. Met These are current athletes who are still betting.
Speaker 8: Definitely, yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 2: How many bookies are there left in America?
Speaker 8: Millions?
Speaker 7: I mean they're everywhere, literally throughout the country. There's at least a million book makers. Now some of them might only have ten or twenty clients, you know, very small. There's a lot of small operations. There are just local bookmakers at golf courses or whatnot.
Speaker 8: But there's millions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just didn't know if it was a shrinking because you have all these other gambling sites where you can go and do it above board. But a lot of guys love that, you know, they're not paying taxes that you know you can do it in a clandestine way. So what's next for you?
Speaker 7: You know, I'm excited about this journey. I'm rebuilding, as you know you just said. I have two books that I produced, one of them I just did right when I got out of prison. And public speaking and giving back to people that you know, maybe hopefully NFL teams, NBA teams, college athletes. I'd like to go to these schools and universities and give a public speaking event to where I can help these kids avoid going down the wrong path. I have the best experience because I've been on both sides, not always a gambler, but as a bookmaker and dealing with athletes, and I understand that it's easy to fall into that trap of you know, not only betting.
Speaker 8: Yourself, but maybe trying to sway.
Speaker 7: A game, you know, fixing a game to make a few extra dollars, especially these college athletes. And now you're singing in with all these pros that are you know, Terry Rosier and Chauncey Billups and guys that you would never anticipate getting into trouble because they're wealthy and you know.
Speaker 8: They're NBA athletes. But it's sad that it's happening.
Speaker 7: If I could persuade a kid from doing that at or a professional athlete than by giving a public speaking event, then I feel like I'm doing something great. So I plan on doing that and just building my personal brand.
Speaker 2: Did you take any action? Were there any suspicious bets where you thought somebody might be fixing a game?
Speaker 7: You know, just in the UFC there was a particular fight that I saw a lot of people coming in vetting on and there was a fight that was rigged and they got caught and they obviously.
Speaker 8: Got barred from the UFC tennis matches.
Speaker 7: I saw quite a bit lower level, you know, like the two three hundred top three hundred players in the nation, not these high level ones that I'm aware of, you know, top twenty, top one hundred. So those are the usually the guys who are really not making a ton of money, that are, you know, trying to find other edges to make an earning on the side, sadly the wrong way.
Speaker 2: If I ask you to fix a sporting event, which one are you fixing?
Speaker 7: Tennis is the easiest by far, not even close, I mean, because you can make it so unobvious by you know, just playing a particular set or a game for example, you know, tennis works.
Speaker 8: You've got to win, and men's usually three out of five.
Speaker 7: I mean, you could just throw set one, come back and win the next you know three. And if you throw set one and you're a favorite, especially then the underdog is the value is very big on.
Speaker 2: That sounds like that's happened many times.
Speaker 7: I mean, if you think about it in tennis, drat to tennis wise, you still win. So the guy who threw set one could still win the match and still get paid and still keep his status, and nobody really gets harmed in that sense in his mind. Of course, there's somebody getting harmed who's gambling on the sport and has basically betting a bet that they're going to lose, and they don't.
Speaker 8: Even know it.
Speaker 7: And the integrity of the sport more importantly is the problem. And that's that's what I hate to see more than anything. I knew in twenty eighteen when gambling became legal this was going to happen. And I've been saying it even before I with the prison, that is only going to get worse. And really, you're going to see. The sad part is these young kids. You know, I have five children, and three of them are young adults who have their you know, boyfriends or kids come over and I hear it all day long.
Speaker 8: They're all gambling and they're young.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and well, I agree, Yeah, that's a sweet spot of eighteen to twenty four.
Speaker 4: Men.
Speaker 2: I keep saying, I've been down that road, and thank God I wise enough to quit gambling because I see where we're headed with this. Are you worried about your safety at all through all of this?
Speaker 7: No, definitely not. I mean, don't get me wrong. Anything can happen, especially this crazy world we're living.
Speaker 5: In it.
Speaker 7: But you know I've been I made my peace with everybody. I've done everything I can to make it right. And you know I'm not an angel. I've done some things in my life I'm not so proud of, but I've done more than I am proud of. So I don't really have any any means per se that are looking for me.
Speaker 2: So no, thanks for joining us, Matt, Good luck with the journey.
Speaker 8: Thanks for having me, Dan, I really appreciate it. Spend an honor.
Speaker 2: Warwyer. We did the interview yesterday after the show. Look, I don't want to glamorize anything with this person. I know he's got an agenda. I know that he's got to make money. You know, the government ten million dollars from what I'm told, probably wants to look at doing a movie deal on this. So there's a lot involved, you know, the tennis aspect of fixing a tennis match, and we've had examples of this, it's happened recently. The number of players athletes who do bet through bookies. Now, there was no DraftKings or fan duel. When I was growing up, I bet through a bookie. If I was growing up now, i'd be all over that app. I wouldn't be going through a bookie. But a lot of people don't want people to know what they're doing. They don't want you to be able to follow their activity that they want to be able to do something clean. It's with somebody. You don't know how much I'm making or how much I lost, so there's less of a paper trail. I understand that it's going to continue. That's why I wanted to know how many bookies. I was told there's probably ten real bookies left in America. Like prominent bookies. Now you have guys who will take some action. But as far as true bookies, a source told me probably ten major players in America.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot Com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: Hall of Fame Running Back member of the Class of twenty eleven, Richard Dent, Chris Hanberger, Les Richter, Ed Sable, Dion, Shannon Sharp, and Marshall Falk joining us on the program. Are you playing golf right now?
Speaker 3: I am Dan, I'm at Firestone. You jealous?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yes, I love Firestone that's tight. Tight. Fairways there, Marshall, do well, very h what's your handicap?
Speaker 3: Now? Good?
Speaker 2: Your handicap's good?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: What's the number.
Speaker 3: There's there's no numbers. I use letters.
Speaker 2: Good okay. But if you're playing, am I giving you shots.
Speaker 6: Or I'm giving you I'm giving you shots right now, I'm playing to about a four or five okay.
Speaker 2: Most famous person you played golf with, oh man.
Speaker 3: Iiger?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, how'd that go?
Speaker 3: Went well? Went well? Went well? Went well for him? Damn.
Speaker 6: It just sounds so different, man, Like when they hit the ball, It's like, I'm like, oh my god, it sounds so different.
Speaker 2: It is if you go to a driving range or you know, the range when you go to the Masters or any you know, and just listen certain guys. I always say, show heyu Tani the ball leaves his bat differently than anybody else. And you go by some of these guys and when they they hit the ball, you can see it's the size of a penny on their club of where they hit it over and over and over. That's what it sounds like when you hit it correctly.
Speaker 6: Yeah, man, it's it's it's crazy. It's crazy that is this. I mean, just to listen to him hit the ball and there's this little spot on his on his on his club face that's a little rusty, and he hits it every time.
Speaker 2: Your thoughts on the resurgence of the running back?
Speaker 3: I like it. I like it man.
Speaker 6: You know if you watch here's the thing, the surprise in Seattle letting Kennt Walker go. That was prize. But we all know this. Everybody likes to throw the ball. You depend on the quarterback, can't touch him. But once we get into playoff football, what is it about? What did they say, Oh, you got to run the ball. That's like, that's literally what everybody says.
Speaker 2: But who was the first hybrid running back where you were you were running and catching?
Speaker 6: Well, I know, I know for me it was watching Roger Craig was like it that was that was he was my guy. Ok, you know that was like, that was like the guy that I watched that I saw do it. I remember playing when I was a Saints fan as a kid, watching the forty nine ers come in and beat the crop out of us. But he was the guy.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: I always thought Ricky Waters was the first that you know, he was rushing I think he ran for ten ten thousand yards. And he also said, oh, are you getting ready to hit right now?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, go ahead, all right, I'm listening.
Speaker 3: It's all good.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know. The yardage here looks like, uh you on a part three? Yep, okay three?
Speaker 3: I hit there?
Speaker 2: Oh you did I hit the gree Are you playing with any other?
Speaker 3: I mean yeah, Eric Differson's here as well.
Speaker 2: Tell him my settle low.
Speaker 3: I will, I will, But I mean Ricky Waters did it.
Speaker 6: But I'm talking about think about this, okay, And and and I felt like I didn't do him an injustice. I didn't bring enough attention to the whole thousand thousand club. We pretend like this happening all the time. There's only three guys in the history of the league has ever done it, you know, and people just don't pay.
Speaker 3: Attention to it.
Speaker 6: But he was a fullback, and he played half back, and he caught the football and rushed.
Speaker 3: I mean, it was just unbelievable what he did.
Speaker 6: But because you had Jerry Rice and Dwight Clark, people just didn't pay attention to him.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: Is Teeki barbera Hall.
Speaker 6: Of Famer hundred percent hundred percent. And here's the thing, this is why he gets in. If you look at if we let Devin hester in, if you look at him as a returner and a running back, he gets in.
Speaker 3: We let Devin hester In.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'd love the resurgence here the running back. But you know, you're still seeing receivers get ten million dollars more than what these you know, these running backs are getting. And it feels like I can get receivers getting some of the Bijon and Jamiir Gibbs, h Taylor got extended. CMC is still really good. Like there's only a handful of those guys. It feels like in the NFL.
Speaker 6: Man nobody, nobody will talk about why that's the case. You really didn't care about why receivers much in a sense, you know, unless you were a Randy Moss or a Jerry Rice Michael Werb and that kind of type of guy. But what what what literally happened was the game changed and when you protect the quarterback by you can't hit him, and then and then you can't hit the receivers, you know, defenseless receiver.
Speaker 3: They haven't made a rule for the running back. What did they said?
Speaker 6: I like this from Texas stof what did they say, you can't if you have the backup high, you can't hit.
Speaker 3: Him in the knees too.
Speaker 6: Then we would come back too, But they made all these rules that make that make it advantageous for throwing the football, and so that's what you do, you throw the football.
Speaker 2: We had Eric Dickerson on a couple of years ago and he said that he has to sleep sitting up, like all the different injuries that we don't see what happens to you guys, ten fifteen, twenty years after the fact, I bring up Earl Campbell when I saw him in a wheelchair. It broke my heart because we care what you give us on a Sunday. And then after that we move on to the next guy. Do you have any lingering injuries issues?
Speaker 6: You know what I'm I'm literally going through all the tests now trying to make sure you know this whole new thing of of you know, making sure your head is good with all the ct stuff that the league is doing, all the Parkinson stuff that's linked to CTE. I'm going through all of that right now, Dan, just to just to make sure that I'm you know that I'm that I'm okay, that that I might have a quality of life, you know, through my fifties and sixties and hopefully seventies.
Speaker 2: You know, but you didn't take too many big hits, did you.
Speaker 6: It don't take a big hit, you know, it's not about getting it just takes a hit. It doesn't have to be a big hit.
Speaker 2: What's the one that uh, welcome to the NFL hit you got?
Speaker 6: Oh man talking crap to the lake to the late junior say out Because we were both in San Diego and I finally get a chance to play him and uh and and I put a move on him, and I cut back and I looked back at him, and Kurt Govea leveled me, and I was I was down. I was looking at the sideline and I was looking at the huddle, and I'm saying to myself, the huddle is closer.
Speaker 2: So you limped back to the huddle.
Speaker 6: Oh man, I made my way back to the huddle, got my faculties together, and you know, stop talking trash.
Speaker 2: Who do you nerd out over when you see them at the Hall of Fame or.
Speaker 3: Time Tony Dorset? Every time?
Speaker 6: Man, that thirty three, that thirty three you know, the cowboys with the star and all of that.
Speaker 3: Man A big, big fan of Dorsets. Man.
Speaker 2: How's he doing? Okay, okay, yeah, well, thanks for interrupting your golf game there.
Speaker 3: And tell any time for you, all right
Speaker 2: Tell tell Eric I said it low and thanks again more all right man, take care, Marshall Faulk