Speaker 1: Welcome back to another episode of Cutting the Distance. Today, I'm in north central Idaho. We're on a non resident hound hunting trip. I'm here with my good buddy Bradley Dammerman. We're finishing up the sugar trip. Fortunate to harvest a great call yesterday that everything I wanted in it in a cat. So we're going to kind of skip the traditional question and answer that we take from our listeners and just kind of jump in the conversation here with Bradley. But if you have questions for myself and my guests are Dirt and his guests, feel free to email them to us at CPD at phelpsgame Calls dot com and we'll do our best to get them on the podcast. So we're just going to kind of jump right in to hound hunting. And we have a lot of side conversations that I wish we could actually you know, we bottle them all up. So today I'm just going to kind of just talk about what we do as we're driving around the woods looking for tracks and looking for you know, one of the things that we were brought up earlier this morning as we were talking is, you know, the perception that hound hunting isn't tough. And I think from the outside, until you get to go with the hound hunter, it may you may think of that as like, oh, well, the dogs did the work this or that, and you basically walk up and shoot them. But it couldn't be further from the truth. And being Dirk were kind of joking that hunting from a clear cut and city is the easy way, Like you could easily make the argument that baiting is a harder way because you're putting in all this effort or hound hunting. So can you elaborate a little bit on how much work goes into hound hunting and not only being successful keeping your dogs in shape, the almost your own commitment to being a hound hunter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well thanks for having me on your podcast. Yeah, so that there. I definitely get a lot of comments like hound hunting's easy, and you know, why don't you hunt the hard way? And I just shake my head because, yeah, you know, first of all, you got to get a commitment that you want to be a houndsman, and then you gotta find find a good line of dogs that you want, whether it's plots, walkers, or and then just find some good dogs, and then you get a pup, you know. And then well then you got to train it, you know, and that's time consuming, especially if you've never done it before or you don't have any older dogs to train it with, you know. So there's that journey, which could be a really long journey, you know, and a lot of time, a lot of money. And then you get that part kind of down after years sometimes that you know, I remember in my younger years of it, I went days without catching stuff, you know, and uh but just kept at it, never gave up, you know, and and just kept pushing. But uh, yeah, so you got that part of it well then, and then the hunting part of it, you know. You know, we still get up extremely early as you know now, Yeah, get up early, we get out there. I mean, you got to have all the equipment, tons of equipment, you know, get get out there early, get everything unloaded. That's all work, you know, And and then you got to try to find a bear or lion or whatever you're doing. And sometimes it might you might go two or three days before you find what you're looking for. And then you find what you're looking for, and then it's like okay, and my dog's even going to catch it. You know, as you've seen yesterday, that wasn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was. It was not easy at all, and and uh, you know, multiple attempts and and some stuff where're like, oh, this is not going to go in our favor where you thought it was going to go in your favor and just the unknowns.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, And they got in the rocks yesterday and I kind of thought he was going to get away there for a little bit, and you know, and just hiking in there. I know, we're all a little bit sore this morning.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it was so that's easy. Yeah, I know, And and uh, we'll get back to the easy. Like the I want to touch on the physical side. But you you mentioned something there about equipment. You don't just get to have a snowmobile. You don't just get to have a four wheeler. You don't just get to have a pickup truck, the trailer, the callers. I mean you you've got your investment into all this equipment to make these hunts happen, whether you got to go high, whether you got to stay low. You know, people can say easy because you're on a machine, but you're out there freezing, you're cold, you're putting tons of miles on tons of road like just time on the machines, and isn't easy And I'll I want to say now when I say the difficult side and Bradley's talking about the houndsman side, for the hunter side, I would agree, it's it's a little easier right by hunting bhyd hounds, like I would say, and easy really just comes into play, like do you consider driving up, getting out of your pickup truck and sitting on a clear cut easier than the hike we did yesterday? Like, yeah, I would say it may be easier to find success. I guess that part, but not always right there. There's times the weather didn't cooperate, you know, and so so how much I mean, is there any other equipment I didn't miss? And just to the extent of you know, you're getting you around, you're getting your clients around, like you got to have multiple machines, you know. You guys were telling me the story the other day about thinking you had enough snow and you went up and ruined your snow and bill tracks, you know, and it's yeah, there's all of this, and so I mean you just got a ton of equipment into this and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ton of equipment. I mean, yeah, like the other day, I you know, it's been a rough winner. So I had enough snow where I started ended up running out of snow. And they were brand new skis, you know that we're close to three hundred bucks. And I paid for them and I toasted them that very next day after I put them on, and a lot of that was I knew better, but it happens, you know. And yeah, the gear, like I have a couple of different four wheelers ready to to hunt with the hounds, like bear hunting, because I know how breakdowns are, you know, and when you're hunting every day and you're kind of in that routine, you know, you got to have a backup plan, so you got to have I have extra callers because callers always go bad. They're three hundred bucks apiece, three point fifty actually now for the ones I like, and I've got twenty of them, you know, And yeah, pick up the wearing hair and pickups. I mean, I don't think I could sell you anyone in my.
Speaker 1: Pickups, right, You wouldn't want a buddy to buy them?
Speaker 2: No, I wouldn't want to sell them to a friend, you know. So they're really, it's just it's hard on everything. It costs a lot of money, and yeah, it's just it's it's it's a big commitment to be a houndman, you know, and there's no doubt about that new baby, and it's you don't really get that money back, you know. It's just you got to love it. And it's like a boat, they say, you know, you just keep dumping money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so touch back on the physical side. We we you know, we went and we weren't very far from the road, but you couldn't picked a much steeper canyon, you know for this cat to be in. You know, you let off in one place. It was one of the longer cougar chases that you said you've been a part of at times, and you didn't know if they were gonna you know, a tree, and then when you get there it's like it's rugged. And then it just so happened that when we showed up between then and when we got to the dogs, it had moved trees, and and uh, we're that's when we're side helme. Snow is involved. You know, usually your hunters are in more snow, so you're you're dealing with steep slopes, lots of snow, and you're not the easiest to get around in and and all. You know, not that I'm in the greatest shape, but when I got to the tree, like I was a little bit cooked already, you know. And then I mean, so it's just because you're behind dogs doesn't mean you're gonna get a cake walk to an animal, or that they don't tree two miles that way, and it takes you two hours.
Speaker 2: To get to the tree, right, Yeah, I mean, yeah, yesterday, you know, it ended up jumping twice on us. So it jumped the first time, which then we had to walk quite away and then treed and then we were fooling around there looking it over, and then it jumped again. Well then it went to you know, baying the dog, so then we had to cover more ground. And yeah, there was nothing easy about it. I remember I had a client last year that hunted with me, and I took anyways. He was he was older and kind of out of shape, and we treated this lion in some deep snow, you know, And it was it was probably only six seven hundred yards from the road, which doesn't sound far, but anybody that's familiar with TPS is in Idaho, right, But anyways, I got the guy. He made it about halfway and he was so whipped and he was ready to quit, you know so, and the snow was over my past my knees, you know. So I just made a pass with my snow shoes like two or three times to make him a walk way, and just got, you know, a little bit out of time and stuff. And I mean, I'll tell you what I was with that day, harder than any l kind I'd ever been on.
Speaker 1: You know, it's it's not not guaranteed, not easy. The other thing where I feel, you know, I grew up as a deer and L hunter. We had about a month season maybe the and when I think of easy, you know a lot of people think of how much work did I put in that day? But then I look at like, what are you doing for the whole year? Like you're out there, you know, I know, you know, you've been to some trade shows and you do deer and l hunting. But I mean you're out in the field two and fifty days a year.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's safe to say that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And so I mean, like I said, I'm going back to the helendsman, and I think the Helensman typically get more you know, more guff than I do as the hunter even or you know, maybe maybe not, but yeah, I want to I want to kind of put the rest the idea that like helen hunting is easy in some form, it's it's not. I will I would agree that helen hunting probably has a high your success rate if you're going to be a I mean obviously bears, cats or whatever you're gonna you're gonna have a better chance of success, But doesn't necessarily it's.
Speaker 2: Easy to get there, right, And then I would say on the success part, you know, it all depends on the pack of dogs.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I mean I've seen guys you know that are just getting into it or maybe good hunters, good hound hunters that it had really good dogs at one time and then kind of lost their line or you knows, wipe them out, you know, and then they're back to square one and and so they're hound hunting trips aren't so Yeah, productive and productive, Yeah, but yeah, I would say, yeah, it's easier and it's easy to I can see why people think that it's easy, and especially with social media nowadays, you know, you see these little clips and guys, you know they're they're basically just showing.
Speaker 1: Law.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, turning dogs loose tree, shoot, shoot it, knock it out. That's it. And that does look pretty easy. But there's a lot of stuff that ain't shown. It is not easy. I can promise you that.
Speaker 1: So I'm gonna I'm gonna keep throwing you some hard ones. Bradley. You know, one thing the antis like to use, or one thing they always say, is that hunting behind hounds isn't fair. I want to hear your opinion that. I'm gonna follow it.
Speaker 2: Up, okay with a twist there. Yeah, so yeah, fair Chase. You know they do use that. It's not fair, Chase. And I mean you just heard us talk about what how much time and equipment and stuff that goes into two hound hunting. So again, I'll bring back the lion hunt. Yesterday the thing almost got away. Yeah, there was actually a better chance of it getting away yesterday than us getting it. We happened to get it yesterday. Bear especially. I know Dirk's been with me on on times that you know.
Speaker 1: The bear got away, Well you have to that beat up bear. We just couldn't do anything with it.
Speaker 2: And so when I think a fair chase, I think about all the bears and lions that got away from hens, you know. So I mean, in my mind that's fair chase because they do have a chance to get away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so I'm gonna when I think of fair, I come back to the management and I'm gonna not use the word fair, but I'm gonna look at like you in particular, the way that you manage hellnd hunting, You're not. It's it's the most fair way. You're not just shooting, you know, a female line across the canyon. You're you're pursuing the biggest, most dominant males. You're doing it in a way that's more sustainable. And when I say fair, like, I still see us as hunters, whether it's a heund hunter, whether it's a spot stock hunter, like we are a management tool and the fair in it, like, in order to go into this North American model a wildlife and use it how it is, we need to take some of these larger toms out. And if we target that, we're making sure we've got good line population. We're not trying to wipe them out. And so I'm like, find me a fair way to do this, use us as management tools and to use dogs. Go look at a cat in a tree and be like, you know what, too young, We're gonna let them. We're gonna let him out of the tree. Or yeah, that's a target animal, or that's a female, we're gonna let her go so she can stay and repot, you know, breed and and do it. It's not like you don't want to see these things wiped off the face of the earth. And that's where I think people look at houndsmen or people that hunt mind hounds and like those people want to wipe every animal off face of the earth. That it couldn't be further from the truth, especially hunting with you maybe maybe some heundsmen and we're gonna get into you know, bad bad raps or you know, kind of get a bad rap as a houndsman at times. And in some of these these things that have affected it. But I would say the majority, and you know, more helmsmen than me, aren't. You know, they're not out there thirst killing, They're not out there trying to kill everything on the landscape. You know. They want to manage. I mean, and not everything doesn't have to come back down to dollars or cents. But you make part of your living off of having big toms to kill, yep, And so it's like there's there's multiple reasons, and regardless if you took the money away, you probably wouldn't think that they all needed to be killed anyways, even if there wasn't a reason. So, uh, I think fairness, to me, is the best tools we have available to manage the population in a certain way or manipulate that population, and to me, held hunting is the best way to do it.
Speaker 2: Yes, I agree one hundred percent. Thanks for bringing that up. Yeah, I mean that's what I should have been talking about, is how many how much stuff I've let go in my life, way more than I've killed. You know, I might I might catch a say eighty bear, you know, in a spring and fall or whatever, and maybe shoot four or five of them. I'm not kidding either. I mean I've done that several times. I mean, and like you said, you know, you can look them over good and okay that one's that one's a female, or you know that one's young, or or I don't know his his his hide ain't looking that great. You know, you can let you know, there's lots of reasons you can let him go where. And I'm not picking on any hunter group obviously, I'm for everything.
Speaker 1: But you know, we're.
Speaker 2: You you spot and stock. You know, you might see one three hundred yards and not and get up to it and be like, oh, man, didn't size it up right, that's only eighty pounds, you know, eighty pounds bare I thought it was bigger. Are the same with you know, mountain lions or or you know, you might spot and stop one of them and shoot and be like, oh, shoot, that was a female you.
Speaker 1: Know, yeah, yeah, knowing right.
Speaker 2: Not knowing we're hounds, you know every time what you're shooting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or you just have Yeah, the opportunity, I think, just the opportunity for let's say you're not buying hounds and you're just out there trying to find it, you're gonna the opportunities are slim. A lot of times, people getting a rush, you're going to shoot the one they see, yep, because it's legal, and there there's no like set you know, target animal, you know, you call it trophy hunting, call whatever you want. I don't care what people call it. To this point, like and in our opinion, it's the best way to manage that species is an overall is behind helens and I.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you take heunds out of any state and watch the predators. Yeah, it's it's it's a wonderful tool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm in Washington where you know, any helmsman that's left is the rebel at this point. You know, some of them stayed on but and it might just be more time I spent in the woods. But I've seen more cats on the on their feet like daylight in the last ten years, and I did for the twenty years before then, you know, And it's our cat populations are bad, which you know, I'm not going to sit here and get into you know, unridd populations. And there's these ebbs and flows, and we're just not in a good spot right now. And as much as you say they'll balance themselves out, they will. But now all of a sudden, these cats are day and you're starving because now there aren't enough, and it's like, well, I don't want to see the cat stuff for either, So let's just balance them, keep the deal. Let's keep them all as high as we can get them and have the best population is you know, basically the highest density of the landscape. Behold is what we should shoot for and then balance everything to that. But yeah, it's it's it's interesting and and I hate when people say it's not. And I'm like, show me a fair way to manage cat populations. There isn't one than no behind hounds. I don't believe, you know, bears maybe bait. You know, bait could be argued potentially, yes or no. You know, we we got to bear hunt last year, and sometimes it's sometimes tough to get your big bears up a tree and and maybe hew, you know you have you said you've preed big bears as well as little ones, though you know there're maybe bait is just as equal or maybe better worse than certain spots, but you know, it's aside from that, like just you know, gloss of them and stuff. Sometimes unless you're in the right train, just isn't the best way to to manage those either.
Speaker 2: No, no, it's not.
Speaker 1: We're gonna roll into a little bit of the image of the hound hunter, and I'm curious. I'm gonna kind of preface us with I think there's bad apples in every group, but can you kind of elaborate a little bit. We've talked about this, like you know, you talked about an area where some hell hunters you know, just refuse to throw us some paperwork and got it shut down for all you guys, and some of this stuff like the perception of Helen hunters. Can you like clarify that or elaborate a little bit on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, like you said that a few bad apples can make the whole tree look bad, because I've seen it so many times. And I would just encourage anybody that's listening and thinking about getting in hounds or anything, you know, just just remember, you know, we don't have the greatest name unfortunately from those bad apples. So I mean, you know, I know hound hunters have broke a lot of gate locks off the gates. I mean that's to go get their dogs or go get their dogs, and you know, and I get it in wolfy country and they're nervous, you know, some of them, you know, might have made that decision on that. I don't know, but it's not good. You know. We just need to we need to prove to everybody that you know, we're we're fair chase and we're responsible enough to do this, and we're not tearing up roads or tearing up gates or or trespassing on property. You know, we've got to you know, be aware of all that stuff and and keep keep it clean. And but I've seen it. I think the biggest thing with with hound guys is how they take care of their dogs. I've heard that from you and other people so many times. You know, I've been at trade shows and had people walk up to me and say, I just don't like how you guys take care of your dogs. You know, you guys so like again back to the few business. So yeah, I mean unfortunately, you know, I you know, hound hunters, a few of them, you know, especially the old school ones were pretty rough on dogs, maybe shooting them and shooting them in front of people or whatever because they did something they weren't supposed to, or are beating them with a stick real hard. And you know, now we've got shot collar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, technologies helped you guys out in the training. But yeah, you know, I was telling you the story earlier a guy that I knew, and it was specifically cat dogs. Right, So what you sometimes run is bear kyos. Everything else is trash. They only want them to run cats. And I can remember, you know, dogs getting back to the truck and getting on the wrong whack, you know, getting beat and you know, I didn't ever see any get cold, but you know, you hear about like these guys were so hardcore that you know, if you didn't you know, belong in the bloodline, and they felt it was like their dude to take it out. And you're like, holy smokes, I try. Even though I hunt, I still love animals, and like, I don't know, but yeah, it's they get a bad rap on on a lot of that in the way that they treat their animals. And like you said, you're you know, if it doesn't hunt, then it'll make somebody else a pet, you know. Yeah, And I like that because it's not maybe the way it was back where I come from, you know, where there were hound hunters, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've gave a handful of them away that I knew they were going to get hunts, and shoot, they lived really good. The next thing they know, they're living in the house and just one of the they make a great pet, really, I mean a great house dog, a hound kind of like a black lab or something. You know, they're real calm dogs for the most part, especially when they get older. But yeah, I've never I've never agreed with shooting a dog because it didn't you know, it didn't work out for you, or it didn't do what you wanted it too. So that's bad. Again, that's only a few people that we're talking about, you hound guys.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and I'm gonna spur I'm gonna kind of take this bad rap there and hopefully we want to talk about this and not just told me to go fight. Guys, like, some of your dogs do get injured in the process of hound hunting, right, and you found veterinarians that label hound hunters as bad people, that you're putting your dogs at risk. And you guys struggle sometimes to find anybody that'll repair your dogs. And you treat these things like your family, so it be like some doctor telling you I'm not going to fix your kid up. You know it is, basically, But you guys struggle even finding bets that want to work on you know, hunting dogs or work dogs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that seems to be getting hard. That seems to be getting really hard. If you have a great bet and you're a hound guy, and you're listening, You're lucky. I mean, yeah, unfortunately, I've got some you know, taking dogs in for bare bites and stuff. And again, these dogs are doing what they They're hurt and want to keep hunting. They love it. I mean you've seen them. They hate to be left home. But yeah, every once in a while, you know, they'll get caught by a bear and need stitches or whatever. And I've got some strange looks at bets and had them you know, pretty much tell me they weren't well. Actually, all this backup. So I have this three legged dog not gatling. Actually she had four legs, her back legs she couldn't use very well. And I wanted to make a cross before she died with another male I had and anyway, so I tried to make the cross with them. Well, her back hit. She just fall to the ground every time mel got on her. You know, they couldn't do it naturally. So I really wanted to cross. I said, well, I'll just do it artificially. I'll just get a hold of the bet. And so I got a hold of the bet and made the appointment. I had a bear hunter, I think client here, So I called and asked my mom if she could run the two dogs over for their appointment and get that done, and yeah, I'll do that. And anyway, she called me and said, hey, the bets wouldn't do this, and I was like, what do you mean they wouldn't do it? And she said, well, they're hounds, so they refused to do it. And I was like, you're kidding me, and so yeah, I'm don't use that bet again, but they but yeah, I was just blown away that when they found out they were they were fine with doing it until she got there and they realized they were hunting dogs, and then they refused to do it, and that's just like really But anyways, so yeah, a good bet, you got one, keep it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it's crazy that they would discriminate against like hunting dog or what purpose was versus a you know, a non hunting dog. But anyways, well we're gonna jump into like in your opinion, like the the impact of hound hunting on like wildlife populations. We can all agree that, you know, killing predators has an impact on the but then those predators would also kill you know, the ungulits, and so how does this all kind of balance out? Like in your opinion, is how you know, how does hound hunting insert itself as a management tool, you know, for for the health of all species.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, I couldn't imagine what our deer and elk population would be without hound. I mean, I just here in Idaho because I've hunted these cats for years now, and I've seen one. Let me let me say this though, about cats. I will say this about cats that I can't say about wolves. I've found a lot of kills that you know, deer and elk that mainly deer. I do finding more deer than I do l but I've literally seen them. They most of the time, they eat that kill all the way up. They cover it up every night they come back, so they're only killing what they eat. And I like that about lions. But again, you know, a big tom like you killed yesterday is killed a lot of deer and elk. I mean, I don't know for sure, but I would say he's probably killed, especially in an adult life, he's probably killed every seven to fourteen days, because I've tracked him around and seen where they killed and then tracked him and where they've killed another one. You know, and I've actually hunted them, you know where they were. I didn't catch him for several days back to the easy right and several days to catch him. And literally known he's been traveling for four days. I know he hasn't eight. He's looking for something to kill. But so you add that up, that's just one lion. I mean, if you don't manage them. And again I don't kill every lion I catch, and I don't kill females. But that's killing a lot of deer and elk. So I mean, if you took if you took the hound hound hunting out of that, holy smokes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because because there's nothing I mean we talked yesterday, you know, aside from wolves and they got a big tom's just gonna run up a tree. Still, it's take like big cougars don't have any natural creditors for the most part, right, they live on the landscape is an apex and you know these things, like you said seven to fourteen days, so you know everybody always says one a week, but let's say seven to fourteen. You know they're killing at least forty to sixty you know, deer, elk or kills throughout the year. And it's like that's a lot in the you know, same with bears. You know, he hunting bears. You know, those things are eating a ton of fawns in the in the you know, spring and when they start to drop or you know, early summer at that time, and it's like you know, the yeah, they will you know, take berry, they'll take whatever. There there's an opportunist. And so it's like by by helping you know, manage that bear population as well, you're making sure that you know, you're you're you're keeping your ungulate population is hopefully as healthy as you can, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I've seen I've seen where bears, you know, especially it really worked the fawns over in kyotes. You know, I don't hunt coyotes much, but that's another thing that there's a lot I feel like coyotes. You know, I'm glad you guys are making predator calls because you know, I mean I've seen it, you know, lion hunting in the wintertime where these coyotes are taking down deer, like three or four of them. I've seen it, you know, in the snow, don't lie. You can see that they've ran them down and caught them, whether they had a broken leg the deer or whatever. I don't know, but so that's another thing. Predators need managed bad. I mean, all of them, and I don't want to wipe them out because I enjoy hunting them, you know. So it's a fine line, you know, And and that's why, you know, I don't want to say I necessarily four quotas or anything, but you know, quotas on females, you know, I think is a good deal. So you don't completely wipe them out, you know, but but you kill enough of them to because you know, again I don't kill females, but you think of a female raising three yearlings. They're killing a lot of deer. Yeah, yeah, she's killing a lot of the feed. Yeah, they probably kill more. Well, I know, they kill more than a tongue. So let's rule.
Speaker 1: And I'm gonna quote Dirk scientific fact, and I don't know the study. He was mentioning that there was a study where you know, a cougar, you're seven to fourteen days, but then they found that this cougar was killing more and more, you know, three to five times a week, right in the study. And then you look back and all of a sudden, that cat was killing on necessity because it kept getting its kill stolen from the wolves. You know, until you add this in where it's like you had wolves back in the landscape. Now these cats, which are maybe better killers than these wolves, are now killing three to five times as much. And now all of a sudden, it doesn't take long for the balance to be way out of whack, right, because these wolves now moved in and this created this killing is free basically, yeah, because I mean, lions are killers.
Speaker 2: You know, I feel like they're more successful. You think of your house cut out here killing these mice and everything. I mean, lions are successful hunters and more successful I think than the wolves. But I think a kill a lion killed, one lion can eat on a kill longer.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So if you've got to pack of wolves and I know this is this has happened, you know where they're fallowing the lion around, you know, that's creating a lion, you know, running the lion off the kill, that's creating the lion.
Speaker 1: To kill more.
Speaker 2: And that's not good. And yeah, it's just.
Speaker 1: Unbalanced, del and you get you mentioned a little bit, and it might even be changing the characteristics of these cats a little bit. Where they're having to be a little bit tougher and realizing like, all right, maybe I can fight off these wolves. Well, you know it's over. You've talked about like the effect that it's even you guys feel maybe he's had on your dogs as of late, where these cats getting a little bolder, a little tougher, and let you know what, I've you know, warded off some wolves on enough like maybe I'm gonna I'm gonna, you know, start to not be so scared of your dog is at a point which isn't good for Heleneman at all.
Speaker 2: No, And I mean that's just their survival.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: They they've been around for a long timeline, so they they know how to survive. And I'm pretty sure you know this, this is my theory, you know. But this would have been in like I want to say, two thousand and five or something. The wolves are bad here. I'm they're managed now and where it's better here in Idaho. But but a lot of wolves. And we were hunting and I had had a buddy with me with a nice hound that he had plot dog, and I had a plot dog. Anyways, I had an old track, so I ended up walking with these dogs for a while. Well they ended up taking this track. And anyways, I heard this. I'm telling the story pretty quick, but I heard this got awful squeal down there that I thought that was the dog, but I wasn't sure. And I thought, well, did they jump and go out of hearing already or what. But I just never heard the sound again. Well, anyways, in the meanwhile, my dog had veered off on another track, going backwards, actually on a track, and my buddy's dog was off to the right, you know, I could tell. And I was still using the peepers back then. But anyways, I walked down to where I heard the noise just to kind of see. And I get down there and I see nothing but blood just everywhere. And there's that plot dog, Frank was his name, laying there dead, and I'm like, what in the world. And I started looking there and the lion had to kill, you know, and was laying there, and the dog jumped up on the log there and the lion was just waiting for it. I could see what everything happened, and it just bit it one time through the top of the head. It just had those puncture holes in the top of the dog's head. And so my theory was always that they've learned to fight, because I mean, anybody the town hunting for a long time, it's rare. I mean, yesterday was rare with your lion. You know, it bade the dogs and stuff. But you know where there's trees where we're hunting up here in northern Idaho and stuff, and there's a lot of trees like it is so rare to bay up and for a lion to fight. I think I can only think of about three times it's happened to me in thirty years of whatever doing it. So I always felt like, and that's like I said, again, that's when the wolves were real bad. I always felt like and it was a big tom, big tom. I always felt like it had to learn to fight canines and it probably had fought some wolves off when a hound was nothing, you know. And again that's just me thinking, but I think there's probably a lot of truth to Yeah.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and let's get into you know, you guys, you know, call them found that. I don't want to equate them to your kids, but you know, for a lot of you guys, they're they're part of your family. Dog safety. And then we're gonna roll. We're kind of well, we'll tell h you know, my hunt story, and we'll kind of roll into some times where I was like, I don't want this on my shoulders, and you know, throughout this hunt, so we we you know, we finally get to the your location and we get down there, you know, and we get to the tree and we're we're looking at shot angles and it was in a great spot and then we thought we had a shot. Well, then he would slump on the tree and vidals, Well, what you do to protect your dog? Because these animals, whether it's a bear or whether it's a cougar, they're they've got fear of the dogs until they're wounded or until they can't run anymore. Right, right, They're willing to go away from the dogs, but you've now put a fatal shot or a non fatal shot, and they're not as fast and the dogs get to them. It's it's not gonna be good typically, right, So we get to the tree. We're trying to fiddle around and look at every different angle. We got guys going everywhere trying to look at shot angles. It was way too steep. I wasn't comfortable using my bow. So we were him and hand around and you go one thing that you I'm all hounds, but not just you. You got you go and leash all your dogs to the tree right before that time. If we're getting ready to shoot it. You do not want your dogs to be able to get to this cat during this wounded expiration phase, right, So that's one thing that you do. So we're sitting there, so that's that's vital. It's for the dog safety. You care about these things. So the tree, we start to see him get antsy and starts to get himself down the tree. We're all out of position, dogs are, so I remember it was a mad dash. You guys were trying to keep it up the tree by knocking on it, and the cat just didn't care, jumped out over our buddy, your buddy, Tim's I just met him yesterday, Tim's head and he's off again. Well then it's a mad scramble. We'll get the dogs loose so we can hopefully retreat it because now we're working again, it's time. One thing I love about technology is you had ran off in the direction that the cat and then your dogs quickly went and we were trying to get all of our gear, grab packs, do everything, you know, grab leashes, and we come in here and we all kind of get back to your everbody sit down. They're coming back. You could see on and we sat down, and you said, it's not very rare. I just assumed, well, this always happened this way. Like you can see this cat start slothering down the creek and then it turns right in front of us at what forty yards? Yeah, And I always assumed on these cat races that it's everything's sprinting all out right. No, this cat was low, he was tired, quiet, I mean, but he was and he held dogs dogs close to him, just like he was gonna slowly get away. Dogs came around the corner maybe twenty seconds behind, kind of get there, catching up to him. Getting the track heated up, and you'd mentioned the dogs were a little tired, you know. I had to have some time off with all your trade shows. And they finally they're milling around and they're on the same trail and at the same time, we're watching the cat get higher on this steep steep rock and we're watching the dogs and and you kind of watch this cat like he doesn't really want a tree. He doesn't really want to get away from the dogs anymore. Like we didn't know at this time what was going to happen. And one of your dogs, you might know which one bark was. It was on the kind of what I'm my terminology is horrible, a hot bark, like it was a different bark than what they had been doing. And the cat skewed it real quick. But you we got the coolest sillho whatever. This cat walks out onto this rock, which looked very flat from from our side, right, and then you see it turn around. And the first thing that goes through my head is all these desert hunts or Rocky Mountain, you know, rocky southern desert hunts where you know they bay upcause don't have a tree to climb at times. And I think you and Tim and everybody, I think we all thought about the same Illinois's going to bay up, and you you weren't. I don't blame this on you. You're just letting me know a situation. I know this isn't good for the dog. You know you mentioned something I'm gonna get a dog killed here or something, so you you kind of take off me and you bump way forward and I think dirt chase. And then we got up there and then you you put a lot of pressure on me because you're like you've got to make a good shot here because my dogs are there, Like this isn't in a tree, they're not leashed up, a little different situation than ninety nine percent of them. Is this cat, you know? And for those that don't know Beta bears cats, basically, they're not climbing a tree at this point. They're gonna sit and fight on the ground and swipe and hiss and they're they're now defending their ground at this point, this cat, we assume had been on the rock before, very sharp, very tough for the dogs to get out to where this cat had got to. But like so I'm not gonna jump into the shot right now, but explain when now we're in a different situation than the first tree. You don't have dogs on the leash. Your dogs are tree to be all over this cat. Now we're shooting and hoping that dogs, you know, Like we're making very clear, like we can't see the dogs because we're very steep, rocky pinnacle country where we're trying that me and you were talking like where to hit him? You know, you almost want to shock the spine, so there's a move You need to get a lethal shot so he's not just sitting there paralyzed. What's that like as a hell and guy? When the cat's on the ground, Like, have you seen them like expire and not move whereas like are typically is there going to be a little bit of a skirmage afterward? Like what's the risk both bear and cougar for when these things get wounded? Are they just more tenacious the dogs? You can get on and there's gonna be a fight? Like what are all your concerns at that point for dog safety?
Speaker 2: And well, yeah, there was a lot going through my mind yesterday, you know, I mean when you were talking to back up a little bit when it was coming through the tree. You know, we talked about maybe shooting then, but you're better off to have a a bay up job without a wounded cat, I mean, no doubt. And when a gunshot goes off, the brains leave from the dogs. They just assume it's dead, you know, And so the cat's adrenalines going, the dog's adrenalines going, and that's when something gets hurt. So that's why I made it, because you had a shot, you know, but I just didn't feel good about it. So I was split second decision and decided not to shoot there. Okay, Well, then when it got on the rock, you know it was, I was pretty confident there wasn't no dogs around it. I don't have a lot of experience with cats on the ground because they don't bay, especially in this country where we're hunting like that very often. I mean, it's rare. So so I did have a lion tagg in my pocket, and I know that, and I appreciate it, you know, You're like, hey, you know you want to shoot it because I don't want to hurt a dog, and I do. I really do appreciate that. But my good buddy Dirk has told me how well you do under pressure, and you definitely proved it yesterday.
Speaker 1: So but.
Speaker 2: So I just say, like I bear you know, the ones I've killed on the ground myself personally, I had shoot him, you know, And I thought about having you head shooting. Now. I know you could have got it the way I watched to shoot yesterday, or a good shot, but I just figured behind the front shoulder and I knew in my head it was going to roll off the rock, and I knew there wasn't a dog there. My biggest fears the dogs were going to get closer because they hadn't got up on the rock yet, and they would have, you know. And so I think it just the timing worked out perfect. I seen you had to rest and the dogs weren't right in his face yet, and I was like, he's gonna shoot, and if he hits it right, it'll roll off the back of that rock. And I think the dogs will be smart enough if we would have waited and the dogs were more face to face, you know, and you made a bad shot. And I've seen this and heard about it. You know, where a cat, you know, if you would have made a bad shot and there was a dog right there, it's going to grab a dog and go off the place with the dog.
Speaker 1: And that was my big spirence.
Speaker 2: So I just felt good. And typically we would have been probably better off, Like if even if I would have been by myself, I might have tried to walk up there and just get the dogs with a leash, holl them off, you know, then taking the chance to wound it. But again, I had confidence in you, and you know you did good.
Speaker 1: It worked out good, like we you know, caught all lungs. We shocked the spine on the way through. Let's talk a little bit about weapon of choice. There were times I wish I had a gun with the scope, but you guys, it seems like thirty to thirty is always the gun of choice. Or you know some lever action? Is that for quick follow up shots? Is that for is the is that bullet going slow enough where it's gonna put all of its energy? Like explain why you go open site and bagun and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, open sites definitely. I have learned. And the guy, you know, several years of guiding, now, I actually like scopes too. If I have a client that that here hunt and I want him to have a scope because you know, most people are good at shooting the scopes. But the reason I had you guys bring a thirty thirty is just experience, you know, and most of the time, I mean, our original plan was you were going to shoot it with the bow. Yeah, you know, and I knew.
Speaker 3: That if I if you made a bad shot with the with the bow, we're probably now it's going to be on the ground and now it's going to be getting shots off really quick.
Speaker 2: And that's where the open sites come in handy, because you can see what's going on around you. And I definitely like that on a bait up bear because you go shooting at a bait up bear with a scope, you can't really see where the dogs are, and then it's really dangerous for the dog. You might shoot a dog. And so there's there's some of the reasons I like a good and thirty thirty. You know, you can't go wrong with a good old thirty thirty.
Speaker 1: You know, Well, I'm glad you guys had you and Tyrell didn't have a whole lot of faith in my archery ability because the gun was down the hill with us. This way, he ultimately needed to use it, So I know, reality, I don't know if this guy can shoot a bow, so just bring the gun in case. But no, it worked out good. Like and I'm gonna touch on this a little bit and some people might frown up me. I look at when you've treed a cat or a bear, Archery at that point doesn't matter to me. Like archery elk is different, archery deer is different. You're like this scene is trapped in a tree. To me, it's just a weapon to dispatch the animal at that point, and so I wasn't that hung up. I did bring my bow. I like, you know, it's cool, but it's like man, in the end, it's just a way to dispatch the animal that's stuck in a tree. Yep, you know. And that's what I looked at it. It wasn't didn't need to be a bow kill.
Speaker 2: But yeah, one hundred percent. I mean, I I'm the exact matter of fact, you know, which I've only killed a couple lions personally myself, and I've said that before, but you know I've been responsible all of the a lot of them dying. But I I'm the same way Jason and I've killed. I don't matter of fact, I don't even hunt here with a bow. You do, and not that I wouldn't. Just we have a good rifle season around here where I hunt stuff and I do that. But you know, I've killed lots of bear, a few lions.
Speaker 1: I love to.
Speaker 2: Archery elkut, especially with Phelps game appreciate it.
Speaker 1: But so.
Speaker 2: I I could have shot lots of barn lions with a bow. But I'm kind of like you were. It's like, I may as well just use a gun. It's right here. So I kind of agree with you. And I get a lot of clients that bring bows, and they asked me, I'm like, you know, I don't want it to be a deal breaker. You can bring your bow and stuff. But I will say that I and I've trapped plenty wounded with a rifle too though. But you know, like this year, we wounded one and I hated to see that. And once once you shoot, and the problem with the cat in the tree most of the time, once you get one shot and it goes airborne of the time, and you're lucky, even with an open sites, you're lucky to get another shot most of the time. So you have one shot, and then I'm not willing to turn my dogs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't know if they're going to get you're gonna get back up a tree, if they're going to bay up at that point, so your dogs are out of the Yeah, it's just you and the cat at that point.
Speaker 2: It's just me and the cat. Because I just feel like that's and there's a lot of people that turn loose on on I'm not trying to say they're wrong or anything, But I personally ain't turning my dogs loose on a wounded cat because that's just asking for it for a dog to get hurt that bills, and I don't want to. They are like my kids, like you mentioned earlier. I mean, these dogs are part of my family, have been my whole life, and I don't know what I do without them. So like, the last thing I want to do is put them.
Speaker 1: In harms way.
Speaker 2: They're in harms way and not ye, yeah, that's really putting them in harms way. And and they're special. These dogs are special, you know. I mean you've hunted with Mallory and stuff. And I've done this for a really long time, my whole life. You know, I always say twenty five thirty years, but really a good since uh my dad was packing me in the trees. You know, I've done this for a really long time. And I know you take a dog like my Mallory dog there, and I know in my mind that I probably will never own another dog like her. I mean, she once in a lifetime dog and it I couldn't replace her. There's no, there's no I've been offered a lot of money for you know how much money I've put in, and she's not for sale because I will never ever, probably more likely own another dog like that. And and that's I can say that because I've done this so long and I've owned a lot of good ones, but a dog like that would be beat or hard to beat. So I just any of them, even my worst dog down there, I don't want to put in harms. They're really special to us.
Speaker 1: So those wounded want you know, you're just you're they're tied up from that point on and you were your client or you're on.
Speaker 2: Foot just like you're ilk looking for blood.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, yeah, that's yeah. So I mean, like we got to see some cool stuff. Got to see a cat try to slither away through the woods, like I don't know if he knew we were there or not, but he acted like he didn't know we were there, just kind of you know, snuck through there and you know, bad up. And it was a cool hunt, like like you say, And there were times, you know, if we had like a reader board over our head with like percentages of killing this thing, we started a one hundred percent and then when that thing jumped out of the tree, I want to say we were down in single digits, maybe because one now we're racing the clock to get to a new tree before dark. You know, all of these things working against us. And we you know, as he came up and bade up, right, we're back up. But then the risk of hurting a dog goes up. You know, I had no doubt it would die, but is it going to die fast enough before it gets ahold of the dog or multiple dogs? And no, it all worked out good. It was you know, I can't think you enough for for you know, helping me out alongside me, and it was awesome. And yeah, like I say that, you know, we've got to help with you a couple of times, you know, bear and cougar. Dirk's got to hunt with your cougar Bear and now cougar again. And you know this was a buddy hunt. But you know you do outfit for these as well. And uh, you know I can thank me and Dirk both put our stamp of approval on you know, you and Amy, you know, work your tails off run a great operation. Yeah, I think you know, I appreciate it, you know, even as far as you know, like you tell a lot about by people's kids, Like your kids are awesome, Like you guys do an awesome job. It's a family, you know, it's family run. You know, coops out there. You know. It's just it's cool. I really like the experience. And like I said, I think you do it right. And one thing that you can never explain through these and you try to get across, it's just like how hard you're gonna work for your clients. You know. It's like you you know, and I can tell this this hunt we're kind of waiting for the right weather, and you could just tell like how nervous you were to to have us come early or to like be here when we don't have the right weather. And you know, like and you know, talking to Tyrol yesterday is like man if Bradley had like you know, paying clients right now, he would be in a nervous wreck, like trying to make all this work. But ye know, we appreciate everything you guys do. Like I said, it's it's it's awesome, you know, glad to have this friendship. And yeah, if you ever have any you know, I think as a houndsman, you know, sometimes they get a bad rap, but you know, Bradley's doing it right, and I can't thank you enough for all You're welcome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's always a great time hanging out with you guys. And I just I really like your story. You know, how where you where you've been through and how hard you worked. You know, you've told me the story. We won't go into it, but how you you know you had a regular job and started your calls on the side and stuff. I just really respect that American dream.
Speaker 1: Right. Yeah, I'm as same thing you guys are doing, expanding and it's been awesome. Well, can you tell of our our listeners how to find more about you, where they can find you, ways to get a hold of you if they're interested.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so i'dhole whitetailguides dot com. We have a website and I'm on Instagram in Facebook. It seems like I'm on Instagram more. I've done that when I started that about when covid hit that Instagram thing and trying to build that up and stuff. So yeah, I appreciate that. Follow them, yeah, go check them out. We appreciate everything.
Speaker 1: And uh yeah, until next time, we're thinking about coming back maybe May or June and chasing some bears around, so I'll look forward if we can make that happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's we better get her done. Yeah yeah yeah, last time, I think somebody got your bear.
Speaker 1: No, nobody owns a bear, but no. I used to hold that against dirt, right, thank you, it's all good, all right, take care?
Speaker 2: Yeah thanks.
Speaker 1: I'd like to also let you know my Mountain Lion film is currently live right now on the Philips and Calls YouTube channel