Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: Nicola Ionimus, thank you so much for joining us on Bloomberg. When you look at the trends from now until the end of the year, what are you most excited about. I know you've worked on innovation. The economy is what it is. Do people buy beauty differently?
Speaker 3: Well, I think people buy beauty.
Speaker 1: Which is the most important thing for me is that beauty is a very dynamic category and it shows once again it's resilience in times of trouble, and we call it whether you call it the lipstick effect or the dopamine effect of beauty. The market's growing, It has accelerated a bit in Q two, and people are going for new or innovation for quality. And that's probably the reason behind our great first half at plus six point five percent, way above the market growth, is that we brought a lot of innovation and of superior quality into the market.
Speaker 2: Is there a section of the market because you really expects to, you know, some of the very high end brands and some of the more mass market. Is there a section of those that actually doing better than expected?
Speaker 1: Well, the overalls what's great this year is that and that's probably the strength of our portfolio. The breadth of our portfolio, which goes from products at four or five euros to product at three hundred, is that all our divisions and brands are contributing. If I look at the top four brands that are contributing to my growth, you have Lorel Paris, you have Cari Stars, you have Lauge pos a luxury brand, a dumb brand, a mass market brand, and a professional brand. And that shows that you have to have beauty for everyone. Now, if we look at the categories or the or the type of products that are flying the most, you've got two categories that are really.
Speaker 3: Driving the growth is headcare and fragrance.
Speaker 1: And as far as market is concerned, you continue to see the metaological beauty extremely dynamic because people want safe and efficacious product, which is what we provide with brands like Larageposeo Survey, which are doing phenomenon in the beginning of the year.
Speaker 2: Is there anything actually underlying that is boosting that growth. I know we talk a lot about GLP one's whether that changes our tastes, whether that changes our hair, or is it something more fundamental about beauty because of advertisement or influencers.
Speaker 1: Well, I think you know, beauty has always been a quest and everybody is trying to find their own their own ways. And as far as hair care is concerned, for example, you've got several driving forces. One you mentioned, it's not the major one, but it's an important one is the GLP one effect, which has both an impact on people wanting to buy products that protect the hair or help the hair regrow because they have some he lossis or some experience this. You also have a boom in skin care products that provide a firmness. By the way, we are launching right now new products on kills that's called color Shot that's particular clearly designed for GLP one users. But there's a much bigger underlying trend on hair care is that hair is longer and more diverse, which means that people need more care, more detangling products, and better products in general. That's why there's a boom in professional haircare products, which are growing even faster than the category. So it's part of demographics and in your right, there are trends such as GLP one which are impacting consumers habits. The good thing for us is that people under GLP one by more beauty than before, so that's great.
Speaker 2: Do your customers spend differently in the US than they do in Europe than they do in.
Speaker 3: Asia, Well, the markets are different.
Speaker 1: Asia is a skin care markets and the good thing about Asia is that it confirms that China is back to positive territory and it's driven by luxury. So there's I would say a stronger apbit right now for premium in China and a lot relocks division is that at plus ten after six months in China, which is very positive.
Speaker 3: So China is more about skincare.
Speaker 1: The US has always been a very strong makeup market and remain so. But it's true there's been really an acceleration of haircare a lot in the US. Overall consumption is pretty good in the US. Consumers are pretty resilient, and then we see all around the world, you know, the need for better skin care for UV protection, and that's also an area where some of our brand thrive, which is long service in some care, which is doing great too. So in the end, I think the the I know you're trying to find differences, but there's an over arching trends that people want duty and want innovation, and you know, one of the things we've done at Loreal is that we've more than doubled the weight of innovation in our business between this first half and last year's first half, which is also why we are gaining market because consumers are constantly tempted by new ideas, new products and your right to mention influencers that play a very important role in bringing these uh, these new products to life on techtalk or other channels, and it's and you have to be in that game and to be providing very exciting new products. And that's that's true all across the world, whether Asia and North America or even the Middle East.
Speaker 2: So how much does that innovation actually achieved through AI and is it through selling or is it actually some of the textures that you find which is helped by AI in research and development.
Speaker 1: Well, what AI allows us to do is really to accelerate the pace of innovation. You know, sometimes I say that AI is accelerated innovation because it allows my researchers to to really the divide by for the time to bring to market a new molecule with more than double the number of molecules we can we can you know, scan to find to find new products.
Speaker 3: So it's it's really that allows us.
Speaker 1: We have many brands, we have forty brands, so we need to have somehow an R and D on steroids and that's what.
Speaker 3: AI allows us to do.
Speaker 1: We still have to know how the data, but AI is what really allows us to go faster in terms of discoveries.
Speaker 2: As you mentioned, a good set of results. But there is a lot of pressure economically and on geopolitics. What's the hardest thing that you have to navigate, either in terms of tariffs, inflation or trade in general.
Speaker 1: Well, it's what's clear is that you have to be a gild and you have to be able to adapt, whether it's it's on tariffs, whether it's the price of oil which has an impact on the customer transportation, whether indeed it's the impact of the crisis in the Middle East on consumer behaviors as it relates to travel, retail for example.
Speaker 3: So it's it's a lot about agility.
Speaker 1: Of course, you know, currencies also have an impact, and we are happy for Lorel that the dollar is a bit better.
Speaker 3: Than it wished to be.
Speaker 1: So in the end, it's about seizing the ascending trends and trying to leverage what I think is unique at Lorel is the fact that we are very spread.
Speaker 3: We call that multipole a model.
Speaker 1: We are spread across regions and across price points and divisions. So whatever something is struggling a bit, we can bounce back in another area. And if I take this first half, Middle East was below expectations, even though not as much as with what it feared. But the fact that China, luxury in China is more positive kind of offsets it. So that that's how we navigate. And in the end, you know, going back to what I was saying earlier, I really see it's not that I feel I can observe that when the world's getting tough for people are really more inclined to indulge in pleasurable beauty products. There are people that want more indulgence others that want more health related products, and we have both.
Speaker 3: So that's how we navigate this crazy world.
Speaker 2: What's actually been the most surprising thing for you? Is it the way you know, is it the way that people are interested in perfume or how it tastes change, or is it that they're quite resilient given everything that we're saying on the economy.
Speaker 1: Well, as mentioned the one thing that has surprised me the most of the last year is the appetite for sophisticated hair care.
Speaker 3: You know, our professional.
Speaker 1: Division, which is is the smallest but was not the one that used to be the fastest growing, has been growing the fastest now for two years. And it's really driven by this number of consumers craving for deep treatments for their hair and high quality. Now there are lots of other surprising factors. A little anecdote which I read and I don't totally know whether it's true, but some people are saying that there's an increase in consumption of sweet fragrances because people who are on GLP one are deprived of sugar, so they like to buy, whether it's a bodycare or fragrances that are sweeter. And it's true that we have you know, we've launched a ysleve or very crush and our lavier bed vanilla and both are stundying successes. So it's possible that people that are deprived of sugar by their you know, desire to lose weight are buying more sweet fragrances.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's calories. I guess in perfume you have been very acquisitive over the last couple of years. Is there anything else that you want in the next six months or twelve months.
Speaker 1: Well, first of all, I'd like to celebrate what we've acquired. First of all, what we've acquired last year. If I take a brand like Esop with eighteen months of it's going double digits. We are just in the beginning of rolling out Doctor g. You know, there's a Korean beauty trend and our Doctor GI's the number one skin care O bran Korea, so we're rolling it out.
Speaker 3: And which just made two big announcements.
Speaker 1: One is the anticipation by one year of the Gucci license, so it's a negotiation between carrying and COT but it means that we'll start selling Gucchip products from the first of July twenty seven, so it's very positive for our future growth.
Speaker 3: And we've just made this acquisition of.
Speaker 1: Innovist in India, which is both two brands and an e commerce platform. And one of the other factors that drives our growth is our e commerce domination. We are growing at plus eighteen on an e commerce so twice the market and in Novicet is going to be I think a great accelerator for US in India, which remains a small country for US in terms of weight of business, which which is really accelerating right now. So these two acquisitions are already to be confirmed or to be closed if I may, and that as far as the future, we'll see.
Speaker 3: As always we look at all opportunities.
Speaker 1: But I would say that we were beginning to have a pretty complete portfolio and a lot to do with it.
Speaker 2: In India, I know there's there was a huge growth actually for some of the local brands because the Indian market liked to buy Indian. Do you think that's changing.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, we have strong positions for some of our brands in India, but overall it was a small market for US and UH, and we've really accelerated with a combination of international brands. But I would say that have been more localized culturally in terms of advertising, in terms of the beauty rituals we promote closer to the Indian UH with the original recipes and and we're adding this local acquisition and you know, we're India has made it to the top eight of our goals contributing country country in the first half. We're growing at plus twenty in sellout in the market at plus ten, so it shows that and that's without innovists which will be part of Loreale only from QW three. So it means that with the right adaptation of our products, we can win in India.
Speaker 3: But it's still a lot to do. It's one of the countries where we have the lowest.
Speaker 1: Share, so I'm not happy yet, but I'm excited about the future prospects.
Speaker 2: Nicolai Eronymis, thank you so much for joining us.