Speaker 1: The verdict is in push that tush. We'll tell you why. NFL owners voted down a proposal to ban push plays today after hearing a last minute pitch from the Eagles, including a franchise legend, Brock Perdy officially has now signed his two hundred and sixty five million dollar contract excentire with the forty nine ers. Eddie is celebrating in style. Perty joins us tonight on this show to talk about getting paid, getting Christian McCaffrey back, and getting San Francisco back on top I. Meanwhile, Ota is kicking off around the league. Inst division champs from a year ago could be vulnerable. Brian Bauldier and Steve Wisch will be here to tell you who should be feeling uneasy, if not queasy.
Speaker 2: As they get back onto the field.
Speaker 1: Welcome inside with the Insiders alongside Judy Batista.
Speaker 2: I am Top Pelasera. We are live at.
Speaker 1: The Spring League meeting in Egan, Minnesota, where, yeah.
Speaker 2: Everybody left about five hours ago.
Speaker 1: These meetings are long since wrapped up, but we did get a lot of business done during the course of the past couple of days. Start out on Tuesday, with NFL owners approved a resolution allowing NFL players to participate in the twenty twenty eight Olympic Games. Today was all about some of the football playing rules onside kicks. A tweaked to that that passed. More on that in just a little bit. A playoff receiving proposal from the lines was withdrawn. That's going to gain further conversation down the line. But all anybody wanted to talk about was the tush push ban, which ended up being voted down. Everybody talking about it, including one guy who sees it twice a year.
Speaker 3: Any play that's out of the ordinary get some extra scrutiny just because of the competition in there, and so all of that, I think is now, that's the fun part of having these meetings.
Speaker 4: And here we are.
Speaker 3: The world champion is the main focus of the tush push, and here we are debating it and having to decide, well, I'm well, I'm a really against the tush push or just don't want Philadelphia to have an egg And I sit there and fight that too, which smile, smile when they're making presentation, which it for you.
Speaker 2: I don't know how flip flop.
Speaker 1: There's no question the Eagles are unbelievably effective at the play that they have popularized. Within the NFL last seedon thirty nine of fifty one on tush push plays over three quarters conversion rate for an Eagles team that continued pushing all the way to the super Bowl. But this was not solely judy about NFL owners trying to take away a play that the Eagles have made effective. This was also about a couple of other factors. One, there were people within the league who do not belie believe that this looks like a football play. They think it's more of a rugby style scrum. And number two, there were concerns, even though there's not injury data in a pretty small sample set, about the biomechanics of the play, the posture of the players lower in the heads, the additional force that is generated in a play like that. It got all the way to the point that twenty teams voted to ban the play, but they needed twenty two teams wanted to ban the play, they needed twenty four.
Speaker 2: It fell a little bit short, lot well.
Speaker 5: It fell short among other reasons because Jeff Lury, the owner of the Philadelphia Eagles, gave an impassioned plea and he also brought in his ringer Jason kelcey future Hall of Fame center, who knows this play better than anybody, and he did a little film demonstration of why he does not think the play is excessively dangerous. The doctors the medical community in the NFL disagrees with Jason kelce Doctor Allen Stills, the Chief Medical Officer, had talked to owners and said, the concern here is the possibility of a catastrophic that is the word he used, catastrophic injury on the play again, because the players are going low and the force that is being generated by the pushing. There is no injury data. There's just not enough of a sample size. Fortunately, there have not been any injuries yet. But it's unusual that this fell short, even though it fell short by just two votes, because it was unanimously endorsed by the Competition Committee and unanimously endorsed by the Health in Safety Committee and the Owner's Health and Safety Committee, So all of the committees that generally get involved with rules changers were behind banning the tush push. It fell to votes short. I'm not sure that we have heard the last of this effort. Roder Goodell, after the meeting said you know, they're going to monitor this obviously and see how it goes. But there is still concern about the safety of this play, and I suspect that we will hear more about the tush push, maybe not next season, but in off seasons to come.
Speaker 1: And this was a modified proposal that was much broader. It was any examples of pushing or pulling, including downfield, something that was on the books from nineteen twenty to two thousand and five. There are still some concerns about those things happening down the field. Rich McKay said, one thing that they're going to emphasize again this year to the officials is when you get that rugby style scrum, somebody's trying to move the pile from both sides, blow the thing dead. As for the Eagles, well, fair to say they were pleased, as Jeffrey Lourie put it as he jumped into an elevator today, that this play was not in fact banned, the team posting push on on their ex account and posting twenty six minutes of highlights of push plays on their YouTube page as well. Let's bring in our Steve Whites and Brian Baldinger to the conversation, Baldy, You're very familiar with this play. You know a lot of people in the Eagles organization. It seemed like there's been momentum, and certainly it had a lot of votes. Why in your mind did this not get across the goal line?
Speaker 6: You're right, Tom, and just low.
Speaker 7: On Sunday I talked to a prominent Eagles coach who did not think that it would pass.
Speaker 6: They thought that the play would be canceled.
Speaker 7: As of Sunday, I think Jason Kelcey and talking to players today really had a real impact in that room. When he was pleading, he said if he had to come back at a retirement and do eighty toush pushes, he would come back and do it if he could. I thought it was pretty interesting statistically that you put up earlier. They were ten for ten on fourth down to the Eagles. Tom, this is not a gimmick play. This is not a rugby scrum. This is a real play that they spend an awful lot of time working on and game planning for it. Because I'm sure Steve is going to show some plays of teams that have stopped it and how they try to do it. They study all of that. It is a lot of physics are involved. They studied the physics of it. It does help that they've got some enormous powerful offensive alignment up run that know how to play with leverage and are very strong with the point of attack.
Speaker 6: The quarterback can dead lift six hundred pounds. That helps.
Speaker 7: But this was very, very close. I was interested to know that ten teams that would not, you know, vote against it are heavy run teams including Baltimore, Detroit, Kellimore, and New Orleans did not vote against it. You can bet that Kelli Moore, Doug newsfire down in the New Orleans will probably employ the play, or at least try to employ it this year with the New Orleans Saints.
Speaker 8: We all in some of the arguments you know against Banny, where people like, just because one team does something better than the other team, we shouldn't bet it, we should just try to stop it.
Speaker 6: So I'm gonna put a lot ball.
Speaker 9: These breakdown cap guys, and let's break out some field. First off, let's go to the NFC Championship game last year, and we all remember Frankie Louvu right going over the top getting all the penalties here where they actually threatened to let Philadelphia score because of the infraction. But let's go before that and let me show you how Washington actually made it play. Dallas Goddard, he's a touch put, sure, but you're saying Cleveland Parrell come off the edge and actually bear body, hug bear hug, got it and deny the play to come in again Washington, And speaking of coaches there, they actually employed this get the tush pusher to the ground. So let's see if other teams can successfully be as creative or come up with other ways to try to either tackle the tush pusher come over the top because as.
Speaker 8: You know this ball to you talk talked about the physics, there often is a stalemate on the initial collision at the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 5: But it's the push usually.
Speaker 8: From titan Dallas Goddard, who's super strong, that gets Jalen Hurts into the end zone or across the first down marker.
Speaker 2: And that is my White's breakdown.
Speaker 1: Okay, great stuff, Steve and Baldy. More for both of you in just a little bit a contrary to what it might seem if you turned on I don't know any sports network, even the nightly news right now, there were other things on the agenda, that includes the Lions withdrawing their proposal on playoff receiving. However, is and I report earlier today there was extended discussion in the room about the idea. There is support for potentially doing some receding, and the NFL is going to look into possible receding scenarios, whether that's in the first round, the second round, or even potentially the third round for potential changes as soon as twenty twenty six. We also had a change with regard to the on side kick, but Roger Goodell, one of his focuses was on exactly what the playoff receiving might look like.
Speaker 10: On the receding, that was something that had got a lot of discussion in March. There are different forms of receding, as you can imagine, what I wanted to look at and what we eventually got. The discussion on, where is the ownership's position on what they want us and the committees to evaluate. Is it no receding at all, some forms of receding after the second after the first week, after the second week, what is it that would be of interest to them? And I think we got some direction on that Judy.
Speaker 1: There were some things that had been misreported about what exact the Lion's proposal was. This was not a second round receiving. This was everything from go receid only by record here, one, two, three, four, five, six, seven in each conference. However, as they continue to analyze this year, there are scenarios where maybe the division winners still get the home games in round one and then you do reced in round two, or even as Gadell reference today, round three, although that we're talking about the conference championship games, that would be a pretty narrow receiving process.
Speaker 5: I think where we're headed is they withdrew this because there was nowhere near enough support for this change right now. And frankly, this change is really intended to get the NFL to a place in the eighteen game regular season, which is still a few years away. The concern for the NFL is the games we often see in the last week of the season, maybe the last two weeks of the regular season, teams that have already clinched their playoff position, their seed, and then they rest their starters. The NFL. That's a bad look for the NFL. Those are non competitive games. They don't like the competitive imbalance that that creates, and obviously, if you're going to an even longer regular season, you have the potential for even more weeks where those games could be taking place. They're basically going to go to the workshop, right. This was the sort of soft launch of this idea. There was a I would say a surprising amount of interest, even from owners who I would not have expected to embrace this idea. But they've basically told everybody, all right, put your thinking caps on and start coming up with scenarios how we could do this again. Would it be a straight receding, you know, in week one, or would they again reward the division winners like we see now where they would host a playoff game in week one and then maybe you would recede in week two. I think they're going to come up with a bunch of ideas and talk about them again. There's not really a rush to do this because this is all about getting something ready for when they get to the eighteen game regular season.
Speaker 1: This was a proposal too by the Lions, which means the Lions controlled the language of the proposal, the revisions to the proposal.
Speaker 2: You would think by having that discussion in the room today.
Speaker 1: That means the Competition Committee, which historically has a higher rate of passage, is probably going to sink their teeth into this in the months to come. The Competition Committee did raise the on side kick changes, which was actually further followed from the broader kickoff changes that we saw back in March. The changes to the on side kick are relatively narrow. It may not make a huge difference here, but essentially it's number one. You now can declare to do an on side kick as long as you're trailing anytime in the game, not just the fourth quarter of games. And also the kickoff team is going to be one yard closer to the receiving team. Last year old just three of fifty on side kicks recovered that six percent. That's below the historical averages. They don't want it suddenly, Judy, to be forty percent or even twenty five percent, but they would like it to be higher than it.
Speaker 6: Is right now.
Speaker 5: It was once explained to me that like, if they got to twelve percent recovery, that would be really good. They'd be fine with that number. They just don't want the on side kick recovery to completely disappear. They want to keep that mechanism in the game for trailing teams, so they think this very little tweak to the alignment may be enough to get them there.
Speaker 1: We will see, and we'll probably be talking about this again in twenty twenty six and beyond. There were some other big announcements today at the Spring League meeting, including for Hard Knocks, the Buffalo Bills, the rare perennial playoff team to go on the training camp version of the show. It's gonna be Bills August fifth. That's the first episode airing on HBO and Max. Also, the in season Hard Knocks edition is locked in. It's gonna be the NFC East. Absolutely no storylines there. A Giants quarterback Room year two with Jade Daniels and the Commanders touch Push Central first year Brian Schottenheimer. A lot to look forward to there. How about an award for the Big Fellas. After consultation with, among others, the Bills Dion Dawkins, the NFL announcing a new award.
Speaker 2: The per Detector of the Year.
Speaker 1: One lucky offensive lineman is going to take that award home when we get to NFL Honors in February. Also, Draft picks continuing to sign at borderline a record rate.
Speaker 5: The number one overall pick.
Speaker 1: Officially under contract, quarterback cam Ward agreeing to his four year, fully guaranteed contract with a fifth year option. Twenty of thirty two first round picks already under contract and we're still two months away from training.
Speaker 5: Camp, mister relevant twenty twenty two.
Speaker 4: Rock Purty, rock Perty is first NFL star down.
Speaker 8: Head Party, Baby, Let's go touchdown?
Speaker 6: What a throw from rock Party?
Speaker 1: Prety gonna throw for the D zone touchdown?
Speaker 11: Rock Party is the real deal.
Speaker 12: We fid time for.
Speaker 6: Party to meet party, and he was the rock star on that drive.
Speaker 1: The forty nine ers have won this crazy championship game and they are going to the super Bowl from pick two sixty two to two hundred and sixty five million. That is the journey of Brock Purty, who officially signed his new five year contract extension with the forty nine ers today and now kind enough to join us right here on the Insiders with me, Tom Pillicero and Judy Batiste.
Speaker 2: The Brock.
Speaker 1: I went back and looked at your original rookie contract, your signing bonus seventy seven twelve dollars.
Speaker 2: I know I've been around you a little bit. I know this is not all about money to you.
Speaker 1: When you're you're getting there to sign that paper, just take me through the emotions of what you're reflecting on in that moment.
Speaker 13: Yeah, man, my rookie contract signing it actually right here in this room. I was just grateful to have an opportunity to be able to go and compete for an NFL team in camp and try to make the team. But now sitting here having done my second contract, man, it's it's it's such a blessing. I'm just grateful, man, more than anything. My family, friends, my teammates, this organization to be able to believe in me and keep going. And man, just grateful more than anything.
Speaker 5: You know, a lot of guys when they're getting ready to negotiate what they know is going to be a big contract, they get like really uncomfortable. It's kind of nerve wracking. It's a sort of a strange situation. How did you get yourself ready for this negotiation? Did anybody give you any advice?
Speaker 13: Yeah, I mean all the guys in the locker room, you know, Kittle, Fred Warner, Bosa, like all those guys sort of just gave me a heads up on hey, man, like you know this is you know how it goes. It's a business. But you know, obviously you just got to keep going after it with your off season and allow your agent and everybody that's on their side of things be able to handle it, and trust in them, and and just focus on what you can control and don't get caught up in the little things and taking things personal and being dramatic with some stuff like allow them to handle it, keep being who you are and and have faith that it'll get done. And so sure enough it did, and and so here we are.
Speaker 1: So let's spend this thing forward now, Brock. Obviously a disappointing season and injury riddled season for the forty nine ers a year ago, what's the mindset in that building right now? Your receiver corp is gonna look a little bit different. This team's gonna look a little bit different. What do you make of the twenty twenty five forty nine ers?
Speaker 13: Man? I'm excited, you know, everybody came back for phase one of OTAs and everything, and from that moment on, like the energy with the young guys being here, although obviously Vets there's just been this energy here where it's you know, we got to have the chip on our shoulder again and we got to go work and prove to ourselves that we're the forty nine ers and we are who we are and have that culture that's been established here, get a little bit more refined with the new faces and free agents and rookies that have come in. And but I could say that, you know, it's it feels good here right now, and everyone's really really excited to keep competing and for camp the season to come around, We're pumped.
Speaker 5: What do you want to work on personally in your game this offseason?
Speaker 13: I think for me it's it's going back to the fundamentals and for you know, cheesy as that sounds, I think for me, I went back and watched some rookie tape with Kyle Shanahan and r O. C. Kubiak and Mick Lombardy, Like we've we've watched how when I first came in, how just automatic I was with my foot, my feet and my eyes and getting the ball out on time. And I want to sink back into that and keeping things simple and execute how I'm being coached. I feel like last year there were some times where I was, you know, pretty comfortable and and going through reads, but it wasn't on top of it like I could have been. And there was some moments where I definitely, you know, was obviously showing some some flash and highlights that I usually do, but there's also moments where I was like, Man, I got to get back to the basics and be hard on myself and and watch the film and be real that, hey, I got get better in certain areas, and so I'm excited about that. And I've applied that to the field this offseason with the new guys and stuff, so, you know, excited to get after this year.
Speaker 1: There was a video of the forty nine ers posted on social media one of the first days you guys were on the field, and most people's takeaway I was seen on social media was hey, brock Perty's out there.
Speaker 2: He's going through this contract thing. He showed up.
Speaker 1: My takeaway was he's handed off to Christian McCaffrey, a guy who we really haven't seen a whole lot of in the past year. What does Christian look like everything he went through with the Achilles a year ago, what do you anticipate getting from him in twenty twenty five?
Speaker 13: Man, I'm so excited, you know, Christian being back and healthy and getting in and out of cuts and obviously throwing him out of the backfield and in the slot. Like Christian's a true Swiss army knife man, he could do it all. And so to be able to have him back healthy, and even just seeing him pour into these young guys in the locker room and our culture here and speaking up in meetings with certain things. Man, Christian is ready to roll. And I'm so excited to obviously have him I can play with him, but more than anything too, just having him in the locker room around the guys and you know, his wisdom and expertise on certain things. Man, It's he's like no other. He's unique. And so love having Christian as a teammate and as a brother and excited to play with him this year.
Speaker 1: By one disappointment in this interview is Fred Warner promised after signing this contract you were going to be iced out, you were going to have changed, You were going to drop a few million on an upgrading. Is anything about brock Purty gonna change?
Speaker 6: Are you?
Speaker 1: Are you gonna allow yourself to make maybe a couple of little purchases here.
Speaker 13: Uh, for the most part, I'm pretty sure we're just gonna keep it simple.
Speaker 6: My wife and I and uh, I don't know.
Speaker 13: I was talking about maybe buying a bass fishing boat down the road, and that's something that I've always wanted since I was a kid. So you might see us fishing more often.
Speaker 2: So awesome, man.
Speaker 1: Well, congratulations again, Brock. We appreciate you being here.
Speaker 14: Man.
Speaker 2: Can't wait to see on the field in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 13: Sir, thank you, Go Niners.
Speaker 2: Rock Purty Big.
Speaker 1: I'm Deil big time guest right here on The Insiders, and this show rolls on. Cameron Wolf is going to be joining us next. He spent some time at the Dolphins Ota today. What are his expectations for that team into twenty twenty five. Also, what's the latest on Jalen Ramsey contract talks. We will discuss all that next on The Insiders.
Speaker 5: Welcome back to The Insiders. New today, Well, there are quite a few things new today here at the spring meeting, Tush push lives. The vote fel too short of banning the Tush push, So we've got one more season at least of the Eagles running a play that appears to be completely unstoppable. The Lions withdrew their proposal on playoff reseating, but that is not the last we're going to hear of that. The NFL had a long discussion about playoff reseating today and they basically told everybody put on your thinking caps and come up with scenarios. We are probably still a few seasons away from playoff receding, but that is something they are interested in doing. And the onside kick has been tweaked. If you are a trailing team, you can now declare an on sidekick attempt anytime in the game. They also tweet the formation the alignment for the on sidekick. They're hoping to generate more on sidekick recoveries. Not that many more, but just a few more. They don't want the play to completely disappear from the game. And the Miami Dolphins, this is like football, real football. Their OTAs begin right after Memorial Day. But they are on the field. They got some stuff to work on, they got some issues on their plate, and we've got our very own cam will fear to discuss the Miami Dolphins, all right. They are going to be on the field next week for OTA's cam what should we be keeping our eyes on.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I can't wait to see Devon Chan, running back who has been a star of the first two years, and he could be in line for even more this year. Rare he mostered left to go to Vegas, and now he's got an opportunity to be the clear number one player in that backfield. And he has been very loud and clear about his goals. He said, I can be a thousand yard rusher and a five hundred yard receiver if you draft him in fantasy football. Last year he was a top ten PPR player for you there and he could be that guy again. And I got a chance to talk with his running back coach, Eric Stutisville today up at the Dolphins facility, and the question that a lot of people had about eight Chan is he's small. He's five to nine one hundred and eighty some pounds. Can he handle the workload Studentsville's answers, Yes, he can handle whatever we give him. I've never viewed him as a small back, and he says he wants more. We're preparing to give him more, and so he could end up being even bigger part of that offense than people envision. Of course, they have Jalen Wright, their rookie back last year. He'll come in and fill some of those roles. And they drafted Ali Gordon as a big back laid in the draft. But this is devine A Chan's opportunity to own that backfield, to be able to run the ball. And he said he left a lot of yards out there on the table that he wants to get. And another interesting thing, Judy, you mentioned some of the talk this offseason about the Dolphins. He said, we have heard some people throw around the soft word, talk about our toughness, and I hope they keep that same energy when they come about this year. And so these guys are having some maternal motivation. They say it's a different team and they think it'll start with the running game with a Chan and better blocking up front to be able to have that success in December and January where they failed in the past.
Speaker 5: All Right, we are almost to the Memorial Day weekend and maybe surprisingly, Jalen Ramsey is still a Miami Dolphin. Where do things stand with both of their sides attempts to trade them.
Speaker 14: Yeah, Judy, I checked in with a couple of people on the Jalen Ramsey situation this week, and I was told nothing is imminent. There have been conversations draft weekend and throughout May in regards to Jalen Ramsey. There's interest, but right now there's nothing. There's nothing closing at this moment. It has been relatively quiet. But one thing I was told is to keep an eye on that July first date. The Dolphins would take a over twenty five million dollar cap hit if they traded him before July first. That number drops to under seven million dollars if they trade him after July first. And a lot of people were looking at saying Jayalen Ramsey's one of their best players, He's been elite. All these things are true. But I talk with their defensive coording under Anthony Weaver today about the situation, and his quote kind of sums up why the Dolphins and Ramseys are here. He said that Ramsey's been a great player for us, but relationships are hard, and he's chosen to move on. This isn't about a guy who wants more money or a guy who can't play anymore. This is just a simp situation where relationships are hard and the relationship between the Dolphins and Ramsey has essentially run out. I expect him to get traded at some point in June or July. They have talked to a lot of teams. I'm told the Dolphins are aware of teams that Ramsey would be interested in. We've heard the La Rams and their coaching and GM staff talk and rave about Jayalen Rams. There's other places where he has had coaches he has loved to play for in the past, whether it be Rae Morris and Atlanta or a giro verro in Carolina. We'll kind of see how the money factors in. That's going to be a big part of it. But for the Dolphins, they're already planning to move on. They're speaking in the past, he's not going to be at OTAs and for them, they're planning on developing their young corners, including Cam Smith, their third year player, to try to replace a Jalen Ramsey.
Speaker 5: It's going to be really interesting to see what happens if Jalen Ramsey is still on the roster. As we inch closer and closer to training camp opening at the end of July, camp Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Bears in their second day of OTA practices, in their first off season under new head coach Ben Johnson, who had to answer some questions based on a recent article about the Bears' history with quarterbacks, one that he certainly hopes changes with Caleb Williams.
Speaker 15: I love it.
Speaker 6: I love it.
Speaker 15: I love the opportunity come on in and change that narrative. That's where great stories are written, and so we're looking to write a new chapter here twenty twenty five Chicago Bears and looking forward to the future.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the insiders.
Speaker 1: Tom Pelaserro Judi Batista here at the Spring league meeting, joined once again by Brian Baldinger and Steve White. Judy you got a call him up NFL dot com slash Batista about potentially vulnerable division winners from a year ago.
Speaker 2: Let's start right there in the NFC North. What do you make it the lines.
Speaker 5: I think they're vulnerable in large part because of the quality competition in that division. Don't forget that division came down to the very last game of the regular season last year. Three teams out of the NFC North went to the playoffs last year. And it just so happens that the Detroit Lions have the second hardest strength of schedule this season, and they lost both of their coordinators this offseason. That's an awful lot to deal with. And the Chicago Bears should also be improved this season. So the quality of the competition in the division is certainly a factor here. And you know, adjusting to losing two coordinators in one off season not easy for any team.
Speaker 7: I would agree with you, Judy losing the quarters. I've often said this that it's more difficult to replace good coordinators and Aaron Glenn and Ben Johnson that it is great players.
Speaker 6: It might be the case. We'll find out.
Speaker 7: We'll see what Dan Campbell has in store for us, how they kind of restore the order.
Speaker 6: But in addition, you know, it was more than the loss of Aden Hutchinson.
Speaker 7: But this was not a good defensive team down the stretch, and their last two losses to Buffalo they give up forty eight points and a playoff loss at home, they give up forty five points to the Washington Commanders, and so they were leaking oil at the end of the season. Last year, they did win fifteen games, take nothing away from that.
Speaker 6: They've won the division a couple of years in a row.
Speaker 7: But the competition is fierce, and we all believe that Ben Johnson in Chicago is going to make that outfit a lot more competitive than what we have seen, so I would agree with you.
Speaker 6: I think they are vulnerable to repeating his division champ right now.
Speaker 1: Baldy, thank you very much, Steve. We will get to you shortly here, but first we need to bring you some breaking news, and it is very sad news out of Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Ersay has died at the age of sixty five. The team announcing this just a short time ago, team releasing a statement staying in part, we are devastated to announce our beloved owner and CEO, Jim Ersay, passed away peacefully in his sleep this afternoon. Jim's dedication and passion for the Indianapolis Colts, in addition to his generosity, commitment to the community, and most importantly, his love for his family, were unsurpassed. Our deepest sympathies go to his daughter's Carlie Ersay, Gordon Casey Foyt, Kaylin Jackson, and his entire family as we grieve with them. Judy Jim Rsay was one of the great characters among NFL owners He's somebody that I certainly knew on some level. You spend a lot of time around him as well. He obviously had dealt with a lot from a personal perspective, from a health perspective in recent years.
Speaker 5: Tragic news tonight, Just terrible news. I saw one of his daughters here today. Just terrible and stunning news. He was sort of a hippie, but really an old soul. As an owner, he was mentored by some of the legendary owners of the game. Wellington Marra from the Giants, Dan Rooney from the Pittsburgh Steelers. Those were the people who guided him when he was a young man. When he took over the franchise from his own father, they moved the team to Indianapolis, and he had a really soft touch. He was the one who his father was a little bit more rough around the edges, and when employees would be upset, or players would be upset, or fans would be upset, it was Jim who went to them and apologized and smooth things over. He was a lovely man. He was an enormous music aficionado. He had the scroll to on the Road he owned that. He owned many guitars, and he loved, loved the Indianapolis Colts. He wanted to win so very badly. You know, he was so proud of how they had turned Indiana and Indianapolis from a basketball place to a football place. They built a spectacular stadium downtown largely because of Peyton Manning's success, and he wanted so much to replicate that kind of success. In recent years, they haven't quite gotten there. Just a terrible, terrible loss for the Indianapolis Colts, the Indianapolis community, and the NFL.
Speaker 1: Jim Mersey's children, particularly Carl Ursay, have been very involved with the team in recent years, Carl Ersay touching all aspects of that organization, much as Jim did under his father, Robert Ursay versus the Colts general manager and succeeding his late father In Nightieen ninety seven.
Speaker 2: Here's more on the life of Jim Irsay.
Speaker 4: The Indianapolis Colts football revival occurred under the guidance of Jim Ersay, a man who overcame obstacles of his own.
Speaker 11: I had a tough childhood. I mean, you know, I lost both my brother and sister. You know, my sister died in the car crash when I was eleven, a state trooper came knocking on the door, and you know, your sister's dad, you know, and your brother is severely handicapped at birth and eventually dies at an early age. And so you know, out a three year the only one left. My dad died of alcoholism. My grandfather died of alcoholism.
Speaker 4: Ers would struggle against similar substance dependencies throughout much of his life, often at a heavy price. But in the early days of Colts football in the Hoosier State, Jim was very much in con control of his father's team as its youthful general manager. At the age of twenty seven, he put together a ten player blockbuster deal that brought in star running back Eric Dickerson, a move that ended a decade of futility Dickerson.
Speaker 16: Trying to get outside cuts up to the thirty piece At the twenty five.
Speaker 3: Twenty ten.
Speaker 5: Thirty four years per.
Speaker 16: The Colts went in twenty four to six and had the playoffs for the first time in ten years. From last place to park.
Speaker 4: A decade later, Ersay made the draft choice that turned the Colts into an NFL powerhouse.
Speaker 17: With the first pick of the draft, the Indianapolis Colts select quarterback University of Tennessee Peyton Manna.
Speaker 4: From this began a golden era of colts football under Ersay twenty two game winning streak. That's a record even in this decade. That's a record.
Speaker 11: Looking at all other teams in the last century in all sports.
Speaker 6: This is really special.
Speaker 16: Nine straight seasons when tenor ball wins nine straight playoff appearances ties a lake record.
Speaker 4: In two thousand and eight, Hers opened a showplace stadium for his Thoroughbred team, after having already built his reputation among league owners with a steady stream of progressive head coaching hires.
Speaker 6: We want to go get this, and.
Speaker 7: Anyone who doesn't want more than one of these, you know, shouldn't wear a horse shoe.
Speaker 11: I walk in the locker room on Sunday, and you know, we gather hands and pray and then get ready to go on the field.
Speaker 6: WHOA Ready? Whoa?
Speaker 11: Every single player has to know that I did everything I can to give us a chance to win.
Speaker 6: Wait a pipe, babequait a pipe.
Speaker 1: Jim Irsay loved his Indianapolis Colts, and there were many people who loved him. Jim Irsay passing away today at the age of sixty five. Sad news tonight from Indianapolis, the Colts announcing just a short time ago that their owner and CEO, Jim Ersay, passed away peacefully in his sleep this afternoon. He was sixty five years old. Team staying in part. Jim's generosita can be felt all over Indianapolis, the state of Indiana, and the country. He made philanthropy a daily endeavor. He never hesitated to help countless organizations and individuals live better lives. Music was one of Jim's passions, and the ability to share his band and collection with millions of people across the world brought him tremendous joy. Simply put, he wanted to make the world a better place, and that philosophy never wavered. Jim will be deeply missed by his family, the Colts organization, and bands everywhere. We remain inspired by his carrying and unique spirit. Colts players weighing in on social media within the past few minutes, including their defensive linemen to Forest Buckner setting up prayers for Jim Ersay and the Ersay family. Welcome back to the Insiders, Tom Pellisio and Judy Batista here at the Spring League meeting which wrapped up earlier today, joined by Steve Whites as well as Brian Baldinger, who is of course one of our analysts and also a former Indianapolis Colts player. Baldy, I imagine that you have some personal memories of Jim, irsay.
Speaker 7: I do, and everything that has been echoed so far, I share the same tremendous generosity. But I came to the Colts with Jim's dad, Robert Ursay nineteen eighty eight had played four years there.
Speaker 6: And whether it's myself.
Speaker 7: Peyton Manning, DeForest Buckner, on and on and on, anybody that played for the Colts played for a first class organization. Jim Marsay was dead set on that, whether it was you know, a brand new stadium that they have built. When I first came to the Colts tom.
Speaker 6: This time of the year, in the middle of May.
Speaker 7: This was race month in Indianapolis. This was about the Indy five hundred race car drivers AJ Foyd. They would come over to the Colts facility, they get treatment, you know, for the injuries and things that they sustained. And then Jim Mersey hired Tony Dungeon, and he hired and signed Peyton Manning and this state, which was a heavy college basketball state. It was the Hoosier State. It was Bob it was Bobby Knight in Bloombyton, it was the race car month in the month of May. It became a true football powerhouse. And Jim really guided that whole thing. Bill Polly came in, ran the organization. He hired great people. But to this day, to this day, you go to that facility on fifty sixth Street in Indianapolis right now, I know that there's still people that work in the equipment room, in the training room that Jim hired thirty and forty years ago that still worked him. This is a place where it feels like home. No matter how long you played, you feel like you were at home when you went back to visit for whatever reason, whether you're back for a game, an alumnia function, or whatever it was, you really felt like you're coming back to a place where they really wanted you to be around and to come back. And that was all the philanthropy of Jim Mercy. You can't go downtown Indianapolis and not see the marks that Jim Ersay has left on this town and his ability to give back. And I know, Steve, you're close to the organization and covering this league. I know that you share some of the same sentiments that I have as a former player.
Speaker 8: We waal when we broke into this broadcast with the news of his death. I mean, it was a gut punch. I mean, the win came at me. I'll do me, you know, and Tom and Junior are there at the league meetings there in Minnesota.
Speaker 2: And I can't tell you how many years you.
Speaker 8: Know of seeing Jim Irsay at these meetings and having conversations with him, because he was always very outspoken about whatever the big topic of the season was, whether it was a rule change, whether it was the potential ouster of Dan Snyder is the owner of the Washington Commanders.
Speaker 6: He had something to say.
Speaker 8: He was a fearless owner who spoke up for his club, for his community, for so many people, and you know, just you know, I've heard from somebody for the culture right now. This is a devastating blow to that organization in so many ways. But you've talked about the philanthropy, Baldy. I remember a couple of years ago when Darius Leonard, the linebacker there, started his foundation. How Jim irsay, just gave hundreds of thousands of dollars to kick this off of the ground because it was a mental health ordeal. And after everything Jim had been through in his life well documented in that obituary, a lot of the medical issues that he'd been through, the back surgery's, leg surgeries, the respiratory issues, this mental illness thing was huge for him. The culture, the leaders in the NFL, with their players and people who work there speaking out on this.
Speaker 6: So again, he had a heart of gold.
Speaker 8: Anyone would tell you that, as quirky as he was the late night social media post whatever, but this is somebody in his heart of hearts and you know, this baldy is about the betterment of mankind. So again, this is a very human blow. As very much as we talk about him being an NFL owner and things like that, but.
Speaker 7: He's also Steve an NFL owner that played college football, played ATMU for Ron Meyer, Like he knew a little bit about what this whole industry is about.
Speaker 6: Not at the professional level, but he played for the.
Speaker 7: Mustangs there in Dallas and ended up bringing Ron Meyer after he was outed at you know, at New England. He brought him on board to run the organization and made the big trade for Eric Dickerson. I blocked for Eric there for a couple of years. We won the rushing title one season. I know Jim was extremely proud. I'd see him in the weight room. He was lifting weights with all the players back in those days, like he wanted. He wanted to be a part of the whole success of this organization. But just a class class organization from the top down, and it's still run in the same manner today because of the guidance of Jim Mersay.
Speaker 1: We certainly covered in that obituary to Jim Irsay Judy some of the issues that he dealt with in his life. There were not just health issues. There were substance abuse issues. There were personal issues, but there were no question about two things. He was a gregarious character and he was someone who absolutely wanted to win with the Indianapolis Colts.
Speaker 5: Wanted to win and has been preparing his daughters now four years he has three daughters four years to take over the franchise. He has been working on succession planning for a long time. Steve mentioned Dan Snyder. It was Jim Ursay who was the first owner to come out and say on the record publicly that the NFL had to remove Dan Snyder from the league one way or the other. No other owner would say it publicly. He cared very very much about the integrity of the NFL and of the Indianapolis Colts. Just a terrible loss for all of us.
Speaker 1: So once again Sad News Tonight out of Indianapolis, Jim Ersay, the Colts CEO and owner passing away at the age of sixty five. A man who meant a great deal to the people of Indianapolis, meant a great deal to his family, certainly will be missed.
Speaker 2: By the NFL community. Much more to come on this edition of the.
Speaker 1: Insiters Sad News Tonight out of Indianapolis, where the Indianapolis Colts have announced within the past several minutes that their owner and CEO, Jim Ersay, has passed away at the age of sixty five. Colts releasing a statement saying in part that their started to announce their beloved owner and CEO, Jim Mersay, passed away peacefully in his sleep this afternoon. Jim's dedication and passion for the Indianapolis Colts, in addition to his generosity commitment to the community, and more importantly, his love for his family were unsurpassed. Our deepest sympathies go to his daughter's Carli Erce, Gordon Casey, Foyd, Kaylin Jackson, and his entire family as we grieve with them more now on the life of Jim Irsa.
Speaker 4: The Indianapolis Colts football revival occurred under the guidance of Jim Ursay, a man who overcame obstacles of his own.
Speaker 11: I had a tough childhood. I mean, you know, I lost both my brother and sister. You know, my sister died in the car crash when I was eleven. A state trooper came knocking.
Speaker 6: On the door. And you know.
Speaker 11: Your sister's dad, you know, and your brother is severely handicapped at birth and eventually died at an early age. And so you know, a three year the only one left. My dad died of alcoholism. My grandfather died of alcoholism.
Speaker 4: Ers would struggle against similar substance dependencies throughout much of his life, often at a heavy price. But in the early days of colts football in the Hoosier State, Jim was very much in control of his father's team as its youthful general manager. At the age of twenty seven, he put together a ten player blockbuster deal that brought in star running back Eric Dickerson, a move that ended a decade of futility Dickerson.
Speaker 16: Trying to get outside cuts up to the thirty piece at the twenty.
Speaker 7: Five twenty he did thirty four years.
Speaker 16: The Colts went in twenty four to six that had the playoff for the first time in ten years, from last twice to part.
Speaker 4: A decade later, Ersay made the draft choice that turned the Colts into a an NFL powerhouse.
Speaker 17: With the first pick in the draft, the Indianapolis Colts select quarterback University of Tennessee Peyton Manna.
Speaker 4: From this began a golden era of Colts football. Under ersa twenty two game winning streak. That's a record one and fourteen in this decade. That's a record.
Speaker 11: Looking at all other teams in the last century in all sports.
Speaker 6: This is really special.
Speaker 16: Nine straight seasons when tenor ball wins, nine straight playoff appearances ties a lake record.
Speaker 4: In two thousand and eight, hers opened a showplace stadium for his thoroughbred team. After having already built his reputation among league owners with a steady stream of progressive head coaching hires.
Speaker 6: We want to go get this, and.
Speaker 7: Anyone who doesn't want more than one of these, you know, shouldn't wear.
Speaker 6: A horse shoe.
Speaker 11: I walk in the locker room on Sunday, and you know, we gather hands and pray and then get ready to go on the field.
Speaker 9: WHOA, very whoa.
Speaker 11: Every single player has to know that I did everything I can to give us a chance to win.
Speaker 2: Wait a pipe, babe, Wait a pipe.
Speaker 1: Current and former Colts players waiting in tonight on the passing of Jim Mersey at the age of sixty five. That includes one of the franchise legends, Reggie Wayne, who wrote on social media, this hurts my soul certainly, Judy. There are a lot of people around the NFL who have similar sentiments.
Speaker 6: Here.
Speaker 1: Jim Merseys we just documented there in that obituary. With someone who bat a lot in his personal life medically substance abuse, was also a gregarious character. He was certainly one of one as a human being, and he absolutely loved and wanted to win with his Indianapolis Colts.
Speaker 5: I was very lucky to spend time with him and talk to him frequently, and also visited him in his office multiple times. I am certain he is the only NFL owner who had a picture of Jimmy Hendrix in his office. For example, he had the original scroll of Jack Kerouax on the Road in his office. He had pictures of Martin Luther King. He had candles burning in his office. He would get on stage and jam with his friends like Steven Stills and John Mellencamp. He was a very unique character, but a very much old school NFL owner. He was mentored by people like Wellington Mara and Art Rooney and Pete Roselle, old school owners Lamar Hunt. He wanted to lead his team that way. When he was getting prepared to move the Colts on from the Peyton Manning era, he studied how the Dallas Cowboys moved on from their great era in the nineties. He believed very much in maintaining the integrity not just of the team, but of the league. He was the first owner to say publicly on the record that the NFL had to get Dan Snyder out of the league. Other owners had whispered it behind the scenes, but he put himself out there. The NFL did not know he was going to do it. They were stunned, but it certainly got the ball rolling. He was an extraordinary person. We should make the point that the team is going to be run and has really been run in recent years by his three daughters. Jim Orsay took a lot of time and care in preparing his daughters for this role. He wanted them to have the team, he wanted them to run the team, and he prepared them for this. I saw one of his daughters here today, only a few hours ago at the meeting. His loss is a shock to all of us. Have been communicating with some members of the organization who are stunned as we all are. He was an extraordinary figure in the NFL. He brought football. He and his father brought football to Indianapolis and turned what was certainly a basketball state into a football state.
Speaker 1: Certainly you mentioned his daughters have been heavily involved in running. Really, all aspects get to touch different portions of the organization. No statement from the Colts at this time about who the controlling owner will be, what the ownership structured succession plan will be. They're going to keep the focus right now on Jim or say the time will come for everything else. We also have a new statement from NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, who wrote, in part, were deeply sad and to learn of Jim Orsay's passing today. Jim was a friend and a man deeply committed to his family, the game, the Colts, and the Indianapolis community. He spent his life and career in the National Football League, starting as a team as a Colts ball boy, he learned every position in the organization before assuming leadership of the Colts approximately thirty years ago. Jim's Colts won the Super Bowl, hosted another, and built Lucas Oil Stadium. Within the league, Jym was an active chairman of the Legislative Committee and member of the Finance Committee. He led with integrity, passion, and care for the Colts players, coaches, and staff, and his courageous work and support of mental health will be a lasting legacy. Outside of football, he was a talented musician and built an extraordinary collection of historical and musical artifacts that he shared with people across the country on behalf of the entire NFL. I extend my heartfelt condolences to Jim's daughters and their families, and to his many friends throughout the NFL. Let's welcome in our Steve Whites as well as Brian Baldinger for more on this story. Baldy, you not only knew Jim Mersay, you played for the Colts. You know how Jim Rsey felt about his family of players. Tell me your memories of the man you knew, Jim Irsay.
Speaker 6: I love the man. And this is tough. This is really tough. Never expected this, Nobody did. So it's a shot, but I'm just reminiscing the stories.
Speaker 7: I left Dallas in nineteen eighty seven and came to the Colts in nineteen eighty eight. And I had a choice. I could have gone to the Houston Texans. I could have gone to the Colts. I went to the Colts in large part. Ron Meyer was the coach that Jim Irsay brought in. His father was running the team then Robert Ursay. But I fell in love with the team and with the community and still feel that way about it and everybody that plays there, whether you're a Peyton manning you're a superstar, or whether you just wore the horseshoe, it felt special, and Jim made you feel special. He made you feel included. My first introduction to Jim Mercy was in the weight and he was lifting weights with all the players back and he was still young. He was a former college football player at Elish at SMU with Ron Meyer, and you know, he mingled with the players and he wanted to get to know you and we could talk about the philanthropy because you can't go downtown Indianapolis not see Lucas Oil Stadium not seeing museums that he put his money and his interest behind in along the river there downtown Indianapolis.
Speaker 6: His mark has been left everywhere. And I feel like.
Speaker 7: Everybody that played there knew that they played for a first class organization and they treated you that way, in large part because of the man of your screen right there, Jim Merseesh, it's a tough day for all of us that wore a horseshoe, all of us that spent time in Indianapolis, a real world class city, brought a super Bowl to that town, brought a brand new stadium. And look, the month of May when I got there, was race month. It was about the Indy five hundred, and that's what we celebrated. It was Collins basketball from Notre Dame to Purdue to South Bend, all the way down to blooming Tim and Bobby Knight, and that changed when they drafted Man and it became a football town.
Speaker 6: And it still is in large part because of Jim Mercy.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Baldy, Juty and time so weird. Now I'm kind of just taking all this whole day in right. We started out talking about the tush push and flag football, and we have just got the ultimate humanity check right here because a man we all know who had to be I don't have everyone's bio here, but he has to be one of the younger owners in the NFL was just pronounced dead, you know, not too long ago. It's again, this was a gut punch. I'm scrolling through social media seeing someone like mcbaldy just said, so many of his former players, so many players from other teams.
Speaker 18: Who knew him.
Speaker 8: Just his impact on the human aspect. And we know of when we dealt with him as an owner, some of his quirkiness, of his late night social media post, some of the videos he made outside of his private airplane. But in conversations we have with him, let's make care deeply about his players, about people in that organ Again, I can't think a couple of years ago when Darius Shack Leonard, their inside linebacker, launched his foundation which really centered around the well being of the human mind, the mental health element of things, and how much that meant to Jim and how much this was his and his family's crusade. They've been a big push behind a lot of initiatves with the NFL about mental health and how important it is. And we saw one of his players, Andrew Luck, step away from the game because he said he would go into dark places with his mental health. So with just so much of that impact and how much that meant to him, how much that meant to him, and how much he cared for his players. You know, just trying to digest everything that Jim ursay meant to this league, in that community and his team.
Speaker 18: It's a lot right now.
Speaker 8: I mean, this is very much of a gut.
Speaker 1: Punch, certainly sad news around the NFL tonight.
Speaker 2: We continue to hear the tributes pour in.
Speaker 1: We'll speak with one of the other former Colts players, Brandon Stokely, in just a short time. Once again, if you are just joining us Sad News tonight from Indianapolis, the Colts owner and CEO, Jim Ursay has passed away. He was just sixty five years old. Devastating news tonight out of Indianapolis, the Colts announcing within the past hour that their owner and CEO, Jim Irsay has died at the age of sixty five, a story that we're continuing to follow here with some of the voices who knew Jim Irsay. Well, that includes our next guests. Former Colts wide receiver Brandon Stokely is with us, Tom Pellicero and Judy Batista here at the.
Speaker 2: Spring League meeting.
Speaker 1: Brandon, we know that Jim Irsay had had many challenges, including health challenges in recent years, but still the shock of the news tonight. What were your emotions when you heard that Jim Mersey has passed away.
Speaker 12: Yeah, my son texted me and that's that's how I got the news.
Speaker 18: And it hurts it really does.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 18: Jim Mercy was a great owner. He was a great person.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 12: He loved his players, He took care of his players and uh, very.
Speaker 18: You talk about generous guys, you know.
Speaker 12: Every year, you know, for Christmas, Uh, we were every every player would have a gift on their locker. You talk about great gifts, you know, TVs. You know, when the PlayStation new PlayStations came out, we'd have a PlayStation, so you talk and even after you were done playing for him, just such a generous guy. He was a great owner, and he loved the Colts obviously, But just just awful news hearing of his passing the day because he was he was a great guy. And that's what I want people to remember about Jim Mercy was he was a great guy with a big heart. Uh did so many great things for charities and gave so much to so many people in the Indiana region.
Speaker 18: And he loved his players, he loved the Colts.
Speaker 12: So yeah, just a just a tough day for everyone involved with the Colts.
Speaker 5: Brandon, you were obviously with the team at its very height, at his best days, and I wonder if you could tell us how much that meant to him, the success of the team and trying to keep that success going.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that was what.
Speaker 12: It was all about for for mister Iersay was was the Colts and winning, winning, you know, that's what he was all about. As a player, That's all you could ask for, is you wanted your owner to be committed. You wanted your owner to want to commit to winning and that was mister Irsay, and that's what he did. And so being able to be there and win that Super Bowl was so special. And you know, he was just a he was a he was a great man, a great person that did a lot of great things and and and really for me, that's that's that's that's his legacy was just how Genersy was to so many people and what a special person he was.
Speaker 18: And so, yeah, it's a tough day. It is anytime you.
Speaker 12: Lose somebody like mister Ersay, it's it's a it's a really tough day.
Speaker 1: I'm sure that if Jim Mersay were with us, he'd be saying that one of his proudest moments was bringing that Super Bowl to Indianapolis. After the two thousand and six season, I know that you were battling injuries that year, you weren't able to play as much as you would have liked. But take me back to that moment in time in Colt's history, that team led by Peyton Manning and Jim Mersey overseeing it all.
Speaker 18: Yeah, finally you know, able to get over the hump there.
Speaker 12: And you know, I wasn't able to be on the football field because I tore my achilles, but they treated me like I was a part of the team. And that's the way mister Arthsay treated all his players. Like I said, he was first class all the way, even when you're done playing, and the tradition will continue with his daughters and they're the same way.
Speaker 13: So.
Speaker 12: But being able to win that Super Bowl finally to get over the hump, I know that was special for him and his family and also for all the coach fans.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 12: But certainly that's what it was all about, and that's what he was all about, and that's what he did.
Speaker 18: He wanted to win. And when you have it, like I said, when you have an owner.
Speaker 12: Like that, as committed to winning and doing whatever it takes to winning as a player, you know that that's all you can ask for. And mister Ursay set the example for the Colts and he was He was a special person, He really was, and he did so many great things, not only you know, for the players, but you know, for the community. And I think that's what that's what people need to remember, is what he did for for for the state of Indiana and for all the charities that he supported. He was so generous, and I think that's his lasting legacy here is.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he was a great.
Speaker 18: Owner, special owner for all of us players.
Speaker 12: But he gave so much back to the state of Indiana and did so many things for charities that you didn't go notice. And he was a special person and he was a great owner.
Speaker 1: Brandon appreciated you on a tough night and on short notice here join us.
Speaker 18: We do appreciate it. Thanks Tom, Thanks Judy. I appreciate y'all.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 18: Once again.
Speaker 1: The breaking news and very sad news tonight. Jim Ersay, the owner and CEO of the Indianapolis Colts, a man who was a ball boy for the team, was the general manager, eventually became the principal owner after his father's passing in nineteen ninety seven, has passed away himself. Jim Orsay was sixty five years old. Breaking and devastating news tonight, ontime. Colts owner Jim Ersay has passed away at the age of sixty five. His Hall of Fame quarterback Peyton Manning weighing in on Instagram a short time ago, saying I am heartbroken to hear about Jim Ursay's passing. He was an incredibly generous and passionate owner, and I will always be indebted to him for giving me my start in the NFL. Words that have been echoed by many former Colts players and others who knew Jim Orsay well, welcome back, Tom Pella, Sero, Judy Batista, and Steve Whitz, joined also by another former Colts player, Brian Baldinger, who has many memories of the former Colts owner Paldi.
Speaker 7: You know, I think if Peyton could go on and on and on right now, he would talk about the loyalty that Jim Ersay had to employees in the building. We all know a lot of buildings in this league. They are not very patient when they change coaches. But Pete Ward and the front office is still there. Dave Hammer is still running the equipment, the training room, Hunter Smith, who was running the training room for as long as he was needed to be there, wanted to be there. Guys that won the video the video department, they're still there. The equipment managers are still there, incredibly loyal to the people that work there underneath Jim Mercy. And if they had a voice on this show right now, Tom and I'm sure they're sharing it. Sharing it right now on a variety of formats out there, they would feel the same way and be very thankful for the loyalty that Jim Mersey showed people in that organization. You go there to fifty sixth Street right now, you run into those very sane people that I work for and commiserated with forty years ago, thirty.
Speaker 6: Five years ago.
Speaker 5: Paldy I would echo that he was tremendously loyal to his franchise, tremendously loyal to his city. You know, when the team moved from Baltimore, obviously they left a lot of fans behind and a lot of employees behind, and he apologized to many of them. He was a warm, wonderful owner, a credit to the NFL, to Indianapolis, a tremendous loss. Jim Orsay dead tonight at the age of sixty five.