Speaker 1: I think right now, the hope of the White Sox is I don't know, being better than last being better than the Rockies.
Speaker 2: That's it, all right, We've got the athletics, John Greenberg back on with us, and unfortunately we're gonna start talking about the White Sox here to start. AJ on the call this morning, John was like talking to John about what what are we gonna.
Speaker 3: Say about the White Sox?
Speaker 2: Right we cover every team, so John, what should we talk about?
Speaker 1: Oh man, that's a good one. I mean I would probably talk Cubs maybe a little more than White Sox right now in Chicago. That's just my uh, just just some editorial advice. The White Sox are five and eighteen, you know, which is probably about you know, they're ahead of pace from last year, so they got that going for them.
Speaker 4: Better than who They're better than the Rockies. That's why I were my purple today. They're better than the Rockies.
Speaker 1: I think that was the That was the rejected tagline this White Sox season.
Speaker 5: You know, they went with the one hundreds better than the Rockies, right, better than the Rockies was the other one.
Speaker 6: Oh but John on this show, John, John on this show, before AJ says anything on this show. AJ needed a one shot for this comment. He said, they cannot be worse than they were last year. They cannot be And I said, maybe statistically, like in the win loss column, But is this team worse than last year's team minus Fetti?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Probably. I mean it's like, you know what it reminds you of a little bit.
Speaker 1: I mean, we can do Chicago comparison. But when the Cubs like went on like their big THEO rebuild in twenty twelve, they had the most losses and the twenty thirteen team was way worse because Rizzo didn't hit, Castro didn't hit, they didn't have like you know that twenty twelve med like Dempster in the beginning. Guys like that that they end up trading. And that's kind of what this team reminds me of because they have like I mean, there's you look at the roster in the air, there's no talent almost and the talent they have isn't hitting. I mean the guys that aren't hitting right now, it's Luis Roberts got up five twenty eight, Oh, ps Vaughn's four sixty one.
Speaker 5: I mean, these guys, the guys they have that are real.
Speaker 1: Major leaguers and you know, can do things. Are the ones not doing, you know, not contributing. And right now the rule five guys are two of their most valuable players. So I think that tells you a lot.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we were gonna show this tweet, We're gonna save it, but since you brought it up here. Batting averages there they are the five worst. Three of them are the White Side, Robert, Vaughan and Vargas.
Speaker 1: I went to the Crochet game, you know, when he started against them, and Crochet against Vargas was like one of the most overmatched. It was like, I mean it was Vargas couldn't even touch him. I basically couldn't touch him. I mean I think he struck him out three times in twelve pitches, and he was just like waving at this. It was I really was hoping Crochet was going to get that. No hitter in that game would have made me happy to be there.
Speaker 4: What John, what's the hope? That's all I want to know. What's what's the hope? I know prospects, you.
Speaker 7: Know, prospects, farm system prospects, But who's the impact player of the prospects. Because I've said this numerous signs. Noah Schultz never is a third year of pro Ball's never pitched in a fifth inning, not like you in a fifth inning, which is unbelievable in three years. Okay, see right, Montgomery's down there struggling in triple A. Right, Teal didn't get off to a great start. Hero is obviously already there and he's showing some signs. But is he, you know, the catcher of the future, is it Teal? The pitchers? Who's the pitcher? I know some of them are up already. Well, what's the hope? I mean the prospects? What and how long do the White Sux fans have to hold on to prospects?
Speaker 5: I mean it's gonna be a while.
Speaker 1: I mean I would say their best I think their best prospect in terms of like impact is probably Braden Montgomery in class. Hey, he's the guy that was the big you know. I think it was what red Socks number first round pick last year they traded for. I think he's the one that's got like real impact potential. So how long does it take for that guy to make a jump. Is he gonna have like a Cam Smith like, you know, like jump to the major soon.
Speaker 5: I think that's it.
Speaker 1: I mean, Caro, mydraft that they look good. At least Shane Smith shows that they got, you know, some idea what they're doing with scouting some of these like overlook, guys, I mean number one in the rule five whatever.
Speaker 5: But like that's it, age.
Speaker 1: I mean, they don't have any money, you know that, and they don't you're you're I think they're relying on your boat tour to provide the revenue to make this. Yeah, make this back up, it's aj the boat.
Speaker 4: You better be there, John, you better be there. John.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm if Mark's the bartender, Scott Murkins the bartender, I'm.
Speaker 7: Who would make any money then give all the drinks away for free?
Speaker 5: Right every girl that comes up there between the age of like thirty and sixty drink.
Speaker 1: So no, I mean, I mean, is it you know, you know the HPS stuff with which I talked about with you guys, Is that to hope that he's gonna come in eventually and infuse some money with his team?
Speaker 5: Is it just the prospects?
Speaker 1: I mean, because they're not it's not gonna They're not anywhere close to the point where like, okay, we're gonna have some prospects like last time, and then spend money on guys. I think right now, the hope of uh, the White Sox is I don't know, being better than last being better than the Rockies.
Speaker 5: That's it.
Speaker 6: There is there a noticeable shift in the type of game the guys want to play.
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 6: I understand they're not hitting above two hundred, but it's like, you know, to me, it looked like a lackluster, lackluster leadership last year from the top, from the managerial spot. Have you been able to notice any glimpse Because any of these prospects, anytime you talk about prospects, they have to come into a system that is already established. You can't just have Bradon Montgomery come in and be like, guys, we're doing it this way, Like do you see a shift? Has Will been able to make that shift a parent or not yet?
Speaker 1: You know, that's kind of and that's funny you say that, because that's what gets was talking about when I talked to him. It's spring training, like one on one about this is they've got to kind of establish some kind of White Sox identity. Listen, I don't think the guy I just don't think the guys believed in Griffall, you know, and I think at least Will. They're not winning much yet, but I think Will at least isn't kind of I think he presents himself better to major leaguers. I think he's got a different kind of personality. I think guys might have a little more faith. But it's hard to say like he's implemented something when they're five and eighteen, you know, through the first month. I do think from what I've heard and from what I've noticed, Yeah, the mood's a little better. I mean, a lot of guys from that team are gone, so they can't you can't really even ask guys about what happened last year because they just weren't around for it. So I think the mood's a little better. I mean, how could it not be. How could it be worse than last year mood wise, because Griffall was terrible, the team lost, you know, twenty in a row. It just seemed like there was.
Speaker 5: Impending doom on the team at all times.
Speaker 1: So I think the goal this year, as sad as it is, is just to be a normal bad, one hundred lost team. That's not you know, going viral every few days for like incompetence or TV calls or you know other catastrophes. I think it's just a like lay low and be bad.
Speaker 5: And but guess what.
Speaker 1: Here's the here's the upside, AJ is because of the new baseball rules this year, they've.
Speaker 5: Got uh they can draft number one next year. How about that?
Speaker 4: Hey, that's what we got to look forward to.
Speaker 7: Here's like you said, Deremanto is a lay low and be better than the Rockies.
Speaker 4: It's amazing. I just want to cry.
Speaker 2: Ft fam, I hope you have as much confidence as Penelope right now, who is an avid Spot and Tango fan. Okay, and she uses the code foul crats because this is a personalized dog food subscription service that prevents you, of course from going to the store to pick up the food. And she just gets the highest quality unkibbled. That is what they're known for. And I know you love the quiz part of it too.
Speaker 3: It's a super quick quiz, but it lets you give them the information and they tailor it to what is needed based on their age, size, activity level, all things that are customed for each and every one of your dogs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Human, great ingredients in that Unkibble USDA meat fruits and veggies that are approved there. Upgrade your pets bowl with Spot and Tango Unkibble. Go for it for a limited time. Go to spotantango dot com slash foul use code foul to get fifty five oh percent off your first order. That is spotantango dot com slash foul code foul to get fifty percent off your first order at spotantango dot com slash foul code foul.
Speaker 4: All right, I have two questions for you.
Speaker 7: He says something really interesting that you know, they want to establish a culture. And this isn't Chris Gotch's job. He was the farm director, so he should have kind of done that with these guys. And now he's a general manager. So isn't that is that his job? Is that Will Venable's job? And then when you answer that, I have one more question for it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean we can get on it, right. I guess it's everyone's job.
Speaker 1: But you're right, Guts listen, Guts has to take some questions on that because he was the farm director. Now, I think what he will say, what a lot of farm directors of bad teams might say, is they weren't You might think they're responsible for everything, but they're really not, because the people above them.
Speaker 5: Make a lot of the big decisions.
Speaker 1: Like yo, hear a lot of farm directors say like, yeah, this is my group, but like the president of the GM made this pick or pushed us to do this. And I think, Agent, you know, that's the problem with the White Sox when they've had people that were there for so long, is you never really knew who was making the final decisions or were the decisions being made in a manner that would please the people that were in charge. But listen, Guts has to take some responsibility too. But guess what, Jerry gave him the job, so it's up to him now to kind of figure it out. I will say, Guts, I think is at least I found him to be a straight shooter. We in the media find him to be like amazingly open about stuff, so we like dealing with them. I hope that, you know, for his sake in the White Sox sake, his vision or whatever, and working with Will, I hope it succeeds.
Speaker 7: We all do. We all do, John. But by the way, that's that's like the GM. It's like, I need five more years to rebuild again. Right, Oh, it's.
Speaker 4: Not my fault. I didn't draft the players and I didn't come on. I mean whatever.
Speaker 7: Okay, anyways, now one last question, John, is it time? And I love Jerry rhins Orf to death?
Speaker 4: Is it time?
Speaker 7: Is it time for the Ishbia brothers to come in? They already own a bunch of the team. Is it time for Jerry to finally because fans are clamoring for it, people all over are clamoring for it, and Jerry it's his decision at the end of the day. But is it time for Jerry reins Orf to sell the team?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Absolutely?
Speaker 1: I mean, and I you know, you feel for Jerry from a human side. You know him, You have a personal relationship with him that I don't, so you can see that side how much he loves baseball and how much he loves the game. I think it would be Jerry a great service to the fans for Jerry just to kind of hand it over and to kind of to kind of move out and move along. Because if he really cares for the fans and wants to make things better, as he said repeatedly, then he should see that it's just time for him to go time for him not to give up control of the team, I mean, and let someone else do it, and you know, and then Jerry can be remembered not only for that in the short term, but for the good things that he did do for the team and for the franchise, and not just be remembered for the chaos, you know, especially now, I mean, things are as low as they've been, so Yeah, if I were Jerry's sons or whoever, I don't know, if he takes advice from anyone besides like Tony LaRussa, I would say, like, yeah, let's get like a you know, a true like timeline to hand this over to them, kind of like what the Guardians did with David Blitzer and they kind of put a clock on it. I know Jerry doesn't like to be told what to do or put a clock on anything. If I were him, I would do that, And I think the fans would, you know, I wouldn't say embrace him, but I think they'd at least be happy with how he's left things.
Speaker 7: Got it all right? Before we go, we have to talk about the other team. We just talked about the other team in Chicago. Crats is crying that the Reds are still gonna win the division. Are the Cubs the best team in the NL Central even with their bullpen?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think so. I mean, I think they have some real pitching. They gotta address the bullpen, and they're gonna need another starter because of Justin Steele. But I mean, look at the lineup right now and listen. Are they all gonna hit like this? But everyone is hitting except Swanson right now, which is kind of bad since he's their highest paid position player. But everyone's hitting besides him. I mean, Kyle Tucker, incredible, ops, you know, one point seven, Suzuki Bush, They're all hitting.
Speaker 5: You Know.
Speaker 1: The guy that's really impressed me is pe Crow Armstrong because now they were building him up already in Chicago, and AJ knows how that goes here. When a young player has like a good month, you know, they want to like give him like six radio shows and like, you know and make them this big star and it doesn't always work out.
Speaker 5: But pie Crow Armstrong is really hitting.
Speaker 1: And that was like my big question mark going in the season was what this guy can do. And Kyle Tucker, like we've seen it in a lot with the Cup where guys come in and like, you know, big stars, and I think they kind of get I don't want to say, like I mean Lester talked about this with me, John Lester, just like the pressure of being with the Cubs and being that big name guy kind of gets to guys. Kyle Tucker is awesome. He's better than like anticipated. And the whole story now is whether it can afford to keep them, which is kind of sad. But yeah, I think if the Cubs can add to their pitching and they have the money to do it, I think they're absolutely the team to beat in the NL and better than better than I expected them to be.
Speaker 6: So far came out that they'd like to extend Kyle Tucker. Well, duh, yeah, how much more? How much more have they missed the boat? It should have been? We traded for Kyle Tucker and before he even puts on his suit coat with the you know, with the jersey over top of it, we've also extended him. Is this just another example of Cubs ownership dropping the ball and not taking advantage of an opportunity because this man gets a free agency We're talking four hundred and fifty plus million.
Speaker 1: Well, rite, because in the NFL that that happens immediately when you make a trade like that, the extension has already done, right. I don't think Kyle Tucker wants to sign an extension, though I don't know if he does yet, like and especially since before he got here, you know, he's going to make a lot of He's why wouldn't you want to go free agency? And I know the Union and the player I mean, the players Association wants guys to go into free agency and to create this stir. And even though he's not a Boris guy whatever, he's going to have some other offers.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: The question is how many teams can afford what he's going to be looking for. So yeah, I do think it's both cases though, because the Ricketts family has never signed anyone close to the deal he's going to ask for. And in fact, this team is cut payroll from last year when they when they traded for Tucker, they had to sell Bellinger, they had to get rid of him, and I thought they would use that money to address pitching, and they didn't. You know, they've gone with kind of the scrap heap with these older guys. So it's a real question whether Tom Ricketts has the interest in spending four hundred million dollars or more for fifty five on any player. And with the labor agreement getting you know, going to end after twenty twenty twenty six, a lot of people think Ricketts is going to be real hawk in those negotiations, you know, looking for a salary cap because that'll benefit him as a big market owner who doesn't want to spend like the Dodgers, Yankee Phillies.
Speaker 4: Why not? So why not? They can? They make plenty of money.
Speaker 7: Don't tell me they ain't making money, John, They're making all They're making more money.
Speaker 5: They know what to do with their ayj.
Speaker 1: This has been like the biggest discussion in Chicago, and no one can believe it. And people around baseball. If you got you guys, talk to everyone, talk to execs when you get them off the record, ask them what they think about the Cubs and they're not spending like they should be spending, you know, and it's a big conversation and people are.
Speaker 5: Really looking at it.
Speaker 1: And now I say this, if they if Kyle Tucker hits you know, even close to like this all year and they don't resign them and they have a chance to you know, it's not something where he just wants to leave.
Speaker 5: I don't I would.
Speaker 1: I've never seen Cups fans this angry already about something like that.
Speaker 5: And they will be. They'll be like storming Ricketts's like, you know, suburban mansion. If this doesn't happen, well get it done.
Speaker 7: I know we gotta go, but I gotta ask. Just give me a thumbs up her thumbs down. The New City connect from the White Sox. Is this the laziest worst attempt at just saying we're gonna give a giveaway. We're gonna market a giveaway thing that we do every year. Make it Bulls white sauce, Like, what do we think?
Speaker 4: For me?
Speaker 5: Down?
Speaker 1: It looks like something that said Jewasco on the side. AJ they give it the first five?
Speaker 7: I agreed. I said the same thing when I first saw them. I'm like, wow, they really got creative with these. They took the Bulls Jersey made a White Sox.
Speaker 4: They do a black Hawks one every year, they do a Bulls one every year. Giveaways. They did so well with the first one, right, they crushed the first one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oh, you gotta keep their confidence up. Okay, they're trying.
Speaker 5: Hey, I can't.
Speaker 1: They're giving away boat hats though, they're giving away White Sox boat hats, so I expect to see AJ wearing that when he's captaining the river fast as Minow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's three hour crews.
Speaker 1: I'm a little worried about the White Sox boat cruise, but what can happen? But I'm gonna go on it just.
Speaker 7: J especially since me and Aussie are on it at the same time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm excited for the five stuff, so I gotta work on a story on that. I'll give you a call, AJ. We'll hash out all right, John.
Speaker 2: That was another tagline that did not get passed through this year. Get on board the sinking Ship. Were like, no, no, we don't like that. And there's a whole cruise coming up this year.
Speaker 4: It's just there's three cruises by the way. If you don't know what I'm talking about, check my Twitter.
Speaker 2: You can see enjoying a day and the five crew. Okay, John, great catching up and you dude, appreciate the.
Speaker 5: Time talking to you guys. Thank you.
Speaker 2: Check out John's work in the Athletic