Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: We did it. We made it to a Friday. It's a meat Friday, and boy is it ever. We have grilling Royalty here. Chad and Julie from Treger are out by the Tregger Grills and they are whipping up a batch of a whole lot of things here. And case you're wondering, and I know you are, duck coned feet, you have beef tenderloin, duck fat potatoes, sausage and apple stuffed acorn squash, cauliflower, grotten, maple, balsamic, Brussels sprouts, sausage balls, oh, gingerbread, bunt cakes, sausage balls, and glue vine, which is some kind of winter drink. Who has it better than we do?
Speaker 3: Nobody. Sausage balls, That's what I'm talking about. Sausage balls. Deep. Come on in and stay a while.
Speaker 2: It's our on this Friday, and it's the final show of the year, and hopefully it will be award winning for a couple of the people in here, because I'm handing out most Valuable Danette honors. And thanks to tire rack dot Com, they said, hey, we're gonna give new tires. Whoever's the most valuable Dannette. Even the backroom guy, the most valuable guy that you really don't see or hear from, they get a new set of tires thanks to tire rack dot com. It's amazing the amount of work that the backroom guys have been doing all morning long and reminding me all of the great things that they've been doing. It's last call to suck up to the boss. And then of course one of the dan Nets will be crowned most Valuable Danette and you get to vote. Go to Danpatrick dot com. We're not doing least valuable because that's Fritzi's honor. It's the It's basically the Todd Fritz of Ward.
Speaker 4: I could just hang on to that eternity.
Speaker 3: Yes, Mary Fritz Smiths.
Speaker 2: By the way, ton I think I's going to catch on age seven seven three DP show email address DP at Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle a DP show. Here's Fritzie's attempt to win most Valuable dan at JJ Watt is going to join us coming up. Al Michaels will stop by, Kurt Warner will stop by, Rhys Davis College game day host stops by. I see what you're doing tod I see what you're doing. This first home we brought to you by kings Hawaiian. They want you to get together with family and friends every Sunday. Make it a slider Sunday Recipe inspiration Kingshawaiian dot Com. Donald's Up eight seven to seven three DP Show operator Tyler sitting by.
Speaker 3: Take your phone calls good morning.
Speaker 2: If you're watching on Peacock, our streaming partner, download the app if you haven't done so. Got a lot of football and this is where you're gonna have to listen because you might not be aware of where the playoff games are going to be aired tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Now you got football tonight.
Speaker 2: This is going to be Notre Dame in Indiana, and that pointspread has gone down a little bit. I think it was seven and a half now it's six and a half. So that game is going to be on ABC. And then you've got the NFL games on Saturday. You've got two good games here. You've got the Chiefs and the Texans, and then you've got the Steelers and the Ravens. Well, guess where you can find those games, Paul.
Speaker 5: The NFL games tomorrow you can find on we'll please.
Speaker 3: NBC.
Speaker 5: Texans at Chiefs NBC and Peacock Steelers at Ravens is on Fox, Big Fox.
Speaker 3: Okay, those are easy. And then you have the college games.
Speaker 5: Twelve o'clock noon Eastern SMU. Penn State is on TNT.
Speaker 3: That is new.
Speaker 5: Most people did not know that. Interestingly enough, South Dakota State North Dakota State are on ABC. South Dakota Montana State are on ABC. Easy to find. Clemson versus Texas is on TNT four o'clock eastern. Tennessee versus Ohio State is ABC and ESPN simultaneously at eight pm Eastern.
Speaker 2: All right, and the point spreads courtesy of DraftKings. So Indiana is a six and a half point underdog at Notre Dame. It's snowing now. I think in South Bend SMU that line's been around nine nine and a half. It's now nine versus Penn State. Clemson is still getting twelve against Texas and Tennessee is getting seven and a half.
Speaker 3: At the Ohio State.
Speaker 2: So that's your football schedule for tonight and tomorrow.
Speaker 6: Yes, time you think tn T can get Barkley to participate in inside the CFP, just give them little extra work.
Speaker 4: What do you think.
Speaker 2: They probably asked him, knowing them, Let's squeeze out everything we can with Charles. But I don't think you know, as he said, he only wants to work one day a week. But TNT will have some college football for you, all right, we'll have a pull question, play of the day, stat of the day, all of that coming up. Chargers. Chargers came back to beat the Broncos. The Chargers did something that's uncharger like. They came back and they won this game, a close game, and they're now nine and six. Denver is nine and six, And if you start to look at what the rest of the regular season looks like, the Broncos got a really big game at the Bengals and then they host the Chiefs, and the Broncos can only hope that that game against the Chiefs doesn't mean anything for the Chiefs, and maybe Carson Wentz is the starting quarterback, not Patrick Mahomes now the Chargers. The Chargers next two game at the Patriots and at the Raiders, and they won both games against Denver this year, so they won the tiebreaker. Todd has to take a pie of the face later on today.
Speaker 4: And wear this shirt. Football is fun Chargers shirt.
Speaker 3: You got your Justin Herbert Football is fun t shirt on.
Speaker 6: If I pass out for some reason, it's not because I'm upset about the loss. It's because the shirt is so tight that I'm losing blood supply to vital organs.
Speaker 3: Did that ever fit?
Speaker 4: To put it on this morning? You would think it never fit. But there was a time when it fit like a little it But now it's just very young, barely snug.
Speaker 2: You're a gamer and uh hey you pay off your bets so you get a pie to the face. So the end of the show, the last show of the year, we have this incredible feast out there are Christmas party and you have to take a pie to the face. Thank you, Tom. All right, seat and poll questions today? What are we going to go with?
Speaker 3: Oh boy, do you have a treat? Do you have a treat? Okay? Uh? Tod fritz a sentence? Oh no no what I mean?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 4: No, got the way to sell it?
Speaker 3: How are you feeling today? Heading into the holidays? You know what this is?
Speaker 2: Oh, we're doing sports name you know pull question meet holiday sports names?
Speaker 4: How could that be? You put those two together? That's gonna be a disaster.
Speaker 5: I feel like a Grinch.
Speaker 3: No, Alex Grinch. Alex Grinch.
Speaker 6: He's a Florida defensive coordinator. Now, yeah, it's got the job the other day.
Speaker 3: So wait, are these sports names that have to do with Christmas?
Speaker 4: These are holiday.
Speaker 6: Sports names that have to do with the mood one might be in this holiday season.
Speaker 3: They run the gamut of emotions, like Chipper Jones.
Speaker 4: Exactly, you're feeling, Chipper Jones.
Speaker 3: Give me, give me a feeling, Chipper.
Speaker 6: Doug Jolly, Alex Grinch.
Speaker 4: We just mentioned Pat Angerer. What are you angry about? Pat Angerer? Matthew Sad Muhammed.
Speaker 6: I believe it's pronounced Saw Muhammed, but it went with Matthew Sad Muhammed. He was a boxer back in the day. Andrew Lucky Maybe get lucky with the with the lady. Mike Glum. It was a Mike Lum baseball player going Mike Glum. Jake Moody forty nine ers kicker, Marvin Jake Moody. Some people are moody this time of the year. Take some medication.
Speaker 4: Dan Gladden, former twin won two World Series with the Twins.
Speaker 3: Twins.
Speaker 6: Hall of Famer Dan gladden. I'm gladden for the holidays. Mary Pierce, great tennis player back in the day, Mary Pearce, and Ed AND's a lonely.
Speaker 3: That's the other wing.
Speaker 4: You could have a lot of people get feel lonely for various on the holidays. So fly fireman Ed ans a lonely.
Speaker 3: Okay, you have to explain it.
Speaker 4: Along's fireman Ed from the jetman?
Speaker 3: Who is nailmet? That's chance?
Speaker 6: Yeah, so ed Angel is the name of that fireman Ed and some feel ed end's a lonely on the holiday.
Speaker 2: It feels like if you put a record on, you're at seventy eight instead of thirty three.
Speaker 7: And a third.
Speaker 4: I talk a little fast, Yeah, told that.
Speaker 3: So I'm worried about you going seventy eight and.
Speaker 4: The tight shirt. I could totally just pass out the four ten am easter.
Speaker 3: I don't think you could pass out.
Speaker 4: I know a lot energy. I got a ball energy.
Speaker 2: I'm excited, and we have sausage balls and we have sausage ball Yes, Seaton.
Speaker 3: One are the other pole questions that we're going to connect.
Speaker 2: Say, that's a record player reference that you made when you put a record on there?
Speaker 8: Right, not everybody knows that not everybody knows.
Speaker 2: Okay, do you think more people knew Fireman ed than they did?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 2: What's a record? What's a record? What's thirty three and a third? Put it on the Oh, here's a turntable. Just letting you know too. That's what we used to do in the old days. What do we have photographed?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 10: We had one from yesterday that I never I put up, but we never talked about.
Speaker 2: Would you rather be a great singer or guitar player? And I think I'd rather be a great guitar player. Yeah, like I would be Slash.
Speaker 10: Heck, yeah, dude's Slasher rather than Axel Rose and Axel.
Speaker 3: Yes, like Jimmy Page didn't sing for Led Zeppelin. Jimmy Page is probably the coolest person that's ever lived.
Speaker 2: He's certainly guitar a good gig. Yeah, he was just like, you just play guitar, you don't have to sing at all, Jimmy.
Speaker 5: Yes, Paul, So you could be Eddie van Halen and Van Halen or David Lee Roth. Correct, Yeah you're Eddie van Halen.
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, absolutely, Marv? What about you?
Speaker 4: You'd rather be a guitar player?
Speaker 2: See you sound like it feels like you know you're named after Marvin gay that you would want to be a great singer, or do you think you already are a great singer.
Speaker 6: I'm with the draws in the shower, but I'd rather be a great guitar Marvin Gaye was a great musician also, but I'd rather be a great guitar player than a great singer.
Speaker 3: Okay. I've heard Marvin Prince sing a little bit. I think he could sing.
Speaker 10: I think I think what he's doing is being nice because he doesn't want to ruin Todd's thing.
Speaker 3: Todd's like the singer actually can sing.
Speaker 5: Todd's the singer.
Speaker 3: Todd's like the singer of the group.
Speaker 10: We just brought in another guy who I could probably sing better, but he's just like nah, I want to do.
Speaker 3: That to him.
Speaker 2: Okay, your lane, Prince, should we have a sing off?
Speaker 11: Yes?
Speaker 3: End of the year sing off? Marvin?
Speaker 2: Would you be up for a sing off against Fritzy? I mean yeah, okay, I love it, Okay, Okay. What we're what we're gonna do is you get twenty seconds of the song that you choose, Okay, and if you want to give it a little thought, we can do that, and I'll give you time to warm up to sit maybe you know, next hour, I got JJ Watt joining us in about ten minutes, and I will be the judge. I'll be the Simon Cowell here, you guys, okay with that?
Speaker 3: To Todd?
Speaker 2: Twenty seconds of your favorite song? More than twenty seconds of your favorite.
Speaker 4: That's a good time. That's a holiday. It's holiday fun?
Speaker 7: Is that?
Speaker 3: And who knows if this may lead to Most Valuable Dan.
Speaker 4: Or an invitation to who's got America's got talent? Dude?
Speaker 3: No no nos out there?
Speaker 4: You don't know who's listening. You never know?
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 4: Wow, did you hear that guy the Dad Patrick Show? He should be up with your son to Hollywood.
Speaker 2: Speaking speaking of that guy on the Dan Patrick Show, thank you for the reaction to Steven Wilson Junior yesterday in the final hour of the show. And he got a chance to do a couple of songs, and I hope he becomes something big. I think he's got a lot of talent, interesting voice and just interesting sound to him. Speaking of which, Buddha in San Francisco, Hi Buddha.
Speaker 12: No body, Happy meet Friday Boys and Fritzy the Chargers are who they.
Speaker 13: Thought they were. They let them off the hook last night.
Speaker 1: Not good.
Speaker 4: DP.
Speaker 13: My two words for the show this week would be engaging and delightful. And to begin, Dan, you got to take up Charles on his debt. Just drop the eighth straight from the charity stripe and walk it off and deposit into the twenty five k to the cause of your choice.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 13: I mean, but not a lot of things have made me tear up on this show. I mean, Fritzy has been close to make me tear up. But Stephen Wilson Junior the third yesterday, I am in in my god. I mean, I hope that man left the studio with the d D D d C shirt. At least one of my favorite, one of my favorite parts of the shows. He drops in against the grain in one of the verses. It was like, awesome, man, and I just wanted to call him Dan.
Speaker 12: Wish you and Dan Nation.
Speaker 13: A very merry Fritzmas.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Buddha, you too. Yeah, Steven Wilson, it was a lot of fun to have him in. And uh, he's kind of become a viral sensation here and you can see him. He's been touring not not a lot or big places, but you know, maybe this is his start.
Speaker 3: But I heard it. It moved me.
Speaker 2: And the song I Am I'm a song is basically about his dad that he'll always be there. Whenever he hears that song, his dad is always there, So uh, it was very, very powerful. You can go to Danpatrick dot com if you miss anything on the show, and uh that's available as well. You can vote on most valuable Dan at and uh, I'll be the one deciding on the most valuable backroom guy because you're probably not aware of the roster there. Some of the b are jeez, but not everybody who does a lot of great work on this show. All right, we're just getting started. We'll settle on a poll question. Fritzy is fired up? Fired up?
Speaker 6: I'm so bummed by what happened last night and I got this crazy energy of no sleep being depressed.
Speaker 4: About how Denver blew that game.
Speaker 3: Okay, and now we're back though, yeah, positive, Yeah, Now let's go energy. Let's entertain a nation should do that every days.
Speaker 2: Super Bowl Todd, just because the Broncos won't be there, does it mean.
Speaker 4: Wow, that's not a couple of days before Christmas?
Speaker 3: It is true. It is probably true.
Speaker 4: But they will have to beat the Bengals now and the Chiefs.
Speaker 6: They're gonna have to do that.
Speaker 3: What happened when they lost last night, the day they have to win.
Speaker 4: They got swept by the one There, one and four in the division. Everybody knows this.
Speaker 3: They're one in four in the Nancy was everybody knows that.
Speaker 4: Everybody knows they're one and four in the division.
Speaker 3: How about we take a break? J J What Well? John is coming up next here Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 8: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 8: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture.
Speaker 4: Stories that well.
Speaker 3: Other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 8: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together, I mean that says something.
Speaker 3: Right, So check us out.
Speaker 8: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from.
Speaker 3: Five to seven pm Eastern two to.
Speaker 8: Four Pacific, and if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your pop cast, and of course on social media that's Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 2: JJ Watt, future Hall of Famer, works with the NFL today on CBS and he's working Christmas Day Chief Steelers game on Netflix one Eastern with Iron Eagle handling play by play color duties there.
Speaker 3: So, how many times? How many games have you done as an analyst at a game?
Speaker 7: I've been called an actual game broadcasting wise live obviously, I've done the studio and everything, and we practice together. But first one very much looking.
Speaker 3: Forward to Okay, what advice have you been given.
Speaker 7: I think mostly it's it's be yourself, it's share your experiences, but also don't overdo it. For me personally, I've just this year watched games much closer and I've just seen what I like, what I don't like. And for me personally, I love it when the announcer watches the game like a fan and talks like a fan, but then subtly interjects here and there the knowledge and experience they have. But I don't want to be overly technical. I don't want to lose people with football jargon. I want to kind of enjoy the game the same way the fan does.
Speaker 2: That's great advice, and you're not asking for it, but I'll give it to you anyways. Get those fifteen second moments where you analyze something and then get out of the way. For Iron Eagle, because it's really the most important thing is he's able to do the play by play. Your color commentary is needed, but you still have to give him that time to bring it back and say, you know, third and ten, you know for the Texans or whatever it might be. But being able to compartmentalize something, say what you want to say for fifteen seconds and then get out of the way that's an art.
Speaker 7: And absolutely, yeah, he's the best. I love. I'm very very much looking forward to We have Naperlissa in the booth too, so it's going to be a lot of fun. I've I went and watched the Ardnoal's Bears game with Ian and Charles, so I got to sit there and just watch them work and see how they work together. And we've been we've been buddies for a while, so it's been great.
Speaker 3: When's the last time you gave advice to your brother? Yesterday about.
Speaker 7: We were talking about his ankle and we were talking about just the recovery and all that. We talk every single day, so we talk about the game, we talk about life, we talk about injuries, everything he's playing.
Speaker 2: Yes, what advice do you give him a playing through a high ankle sprain.
Speaker 7: I mean, it's much more about the preparation everything during the week and getting yourself to game day than it is on game day. On game day you kind of let the adrenaline take over. I mean, there may be a couple of things here and there you can do differently, but once the game starts, if you're thinking about your ankle, you're not going to have a good day. So I'd rather him not think about it than be out there trying to think, Okay, if I do this move, it's not good for me. That's no good.
Speaker 2: The difference between pain and an injury.
Speaker 7: I mean, especially with an ankle like things like this. I mean, the sprain is literally an injury. It's just been it's painful. But there's just different levels that you can play through. I agree with you, and I know the old school thing, like there's guys that can play through pain and then there's legitimate injuries that you can't play through. But there is a degree of difference. And I also think that depending on the team and depending on where you are on the standings and if you're in the playoff hunt or not, I think the willingness to play through either one is different for every guy.
Speaker 2: Well just look at the lines with David Montgomery and Aiden Hutchinson. They're like, hey, we're Montgomery's going to hold off surgery just in case, you know, they go far in the playoffs. I mean that mental and these games mean something too, so that you know the extra motivation.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, And I mean I think there's that old school mentality as well. Like, let's just figure it out. I mean, there's been plenty of times in my career where they're giving you a decision. They're like, you can get this fixed now and you're going to be out, or you can hold off until the offseason, or maybe it gets better over time. But most of the time competitors are pushing it off until whenever. Maybe I should have not pushed it off a few more times.
Speaker 3: Well, I was wondering.
Speaker 2: You know, you look back on that you played through a lot of gruesome injuries there. If you had to do it again, could you have done it differently.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's more about the recovery from the injuries than it was the actual injuries. I think twenty twenty fifteen was the year that I was by far the most banged up and just crazy amount of stuff. So after the season we had to fix a lot. But it's the recovery process that I wish I would have done differently. I always wanted to be the fastest back from recovery. I always wanted to be back on the field quickly. I wanted to show my teammates, the fans, everybody, I'm doing whatever I can to get back out there and there's probably a few times that I didn't let the whole process play out before going back out there, which I should.
Speaker 3: Playing in snow how much of an.
Speaker 7: Hurdle for a pass rusher. Yeah, not fun for a pass rusher at all, because that's your whole advantage is edges, corners, turning grip, and you just literally lose all of that. So very very frustrating.
Speaker 2: Okay, how does an advantage How does an offensive lineman take advantage of that? Or a quarterback take advantage of you trying to rush into snow?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean in theory, you should have significantly more time. Now, the same issue plays out with his receivers. They can't cut the same they can't make the same breaks, So he's going to have a tougher time there. But in theory it should be more difficult. You're probably going to get some more bull rushes because a guy is going to try and run through you as opposed to speed rushing around an edge. Yes, you can change your cleats, Yes you can wear seven studs, you can put longer, but it's hard.
Speaker 2: We're talking to JJ Watt and he'll be on the call Christmas Day. It's Chiefs and the Steelers that'll be on Netflix at one Eastern. How will you be in critiquing, analyzing your brother doing again, I'm.
Speaker 7: Going to be I mean lessen. People are like, oh, he's going to be so biased for his brother. The same thing was on the other side. The Chiefs are the Chiefs, Like I'm going to be talking good about Patrick Mahomes news flash. So people are going to say he's biased for the Chiefs. I'm not going to deny the fact that he's my brother during the broadcast. He is still my brother. I am still We're still blood related. But I have no problem saying what I'm seeing. I mean, if I'm seeing that he's you know, he's getting caught on a certain pass rusher it's not working, or if a run comes his way and it goes through that gap, like that's that's real.
Speaker 9: I'm not.
Speaker 7: I do want to be a good announcer, so I Am going to do my best there. But he also on the flip side of that, he's also one of the best players in the entire world. So if he makes a good play and I get excited about it, news slash, that's what you do when great players make great plays.
Speaker 3: How was your approach to Mahomes.
Speaker 7: For the game, for calling the game, or playing against him.
Speaker 3: Playing against him.
Speaker 7: Sadly didn't have much success there because with the quarterback, what you do is you look for their drop spot. What yardage do they drop to because as a pass rusher, that's where you want to go. So most guys are somewhere in the seven and a half to eight and a half yard range. The problem with Pat is you rush to that point, and he knows he has the arm strength to throw the ball from anywhere on the field. So if you rush to that point, his first look is always going to be that big gap. He loves to rush up in the B gap, which is between the guard and tackle, so if he can get it away in there, he's going to take it. But if that's closed off by a d tackle, well he's just going to drop back paying fifteen twenty yards and he knows he can make that throw from there. So you can't just rush to a spot with Pat because he's not going to be at that spot, whereas some other guys can't do that because they don't have the arm strength. Him and Josh Allen are two of the best at that and it's extremely frustrating. So the number one thing in my opinion, you have to have against Pat is obviously a good edge rusher, but then you need that inside push because if you can take away that B gap and get those guys up in his face as well, at least now I know as an edge rusher, I can rush a little higher, so I can also take away that deep drop back.
Speaker 2: Were there certain quarterbacks that you knew or thought that maybe they were going to get preferential treatment, so you had to maybe modify how.
Speaker 3: You were going to hit them.
Speaker 7: Hitting the quarterback is an art, and it is an art that I was very proud to have a high degree because there are certainly ways to do it that you can are still allowed to hit them and not get fined and not get penalized. It took me a lot of fines and penalties to figure out where that line was, but I got it. And it really is a skill, and I think that you have to be able to utilize that skill because laying hits on a quarterback also does affect the game, even if it's not a sack. So knowing that you have that step step and a half and using it is huge I do think, and I'm not naive to the fact that I may have gotten a little preferential treatment myself in the fact that I built up repertoire and the refs understood that I knew the rules and so I was going to stay within them, but I was always going to push it. But yeah, I mean you can. It's extremely hard, and I get frustrated with some of these rough in the passers, but you absolutely can find ways to hit the quarterback legally.
Speaker 2: I always thought that a quarterback hurry was an underrated stat that we do get focused on sacks. But I still like when I watch Max Crosby, he may not get there, but you know that he's there.
Speaker 7: So I like a quarterback hit over a pressure or a hurry because that means that, like, first of all, it's a literal thing that you can quantify. You can see the hit and he hit him, and you know what it is. Pressures and hurries. I get real iffy about because I don't understand how these people are saying, what's a pressure, what's a hurry? What happens if it's a screen and they let you through. Is this a distance to the quarterback before he throws the ball. What are those? So I'm a big fan of quarterback hit because that means you were within a step of him because you didn't get a penalty and you hit him. Either he threw it or he didn't. But I agree with you there, you can affect the play without sacks. But I will also say pressures and hurries are like saying would have scored a touchdown, like the receiver was open, the quarterback just didn't throw it to him. Well, it's a results driven business. Either scored a touchdown or you didn't score a touchdown. Either won the game or you didn't. We need to get sacks, that's the goal.
Speaker 3: Best team in the AMC is who.
Speaker 7: I mean, you can't you can't say anybody but the Chiefs until they're proven otherwise. I mean, it's the it's the debate right now, like are they doing what the Chiefs do and figuring it out as the year goes on and they're just they have the clutch geam and they're going to keep it going. It's tough to say their defense is so good, but I mean the Bills are just the Bills are rolling right now. It's just their defense that scares you because they are giving up a ton of points that offenses. I mean, Josh Allen's playing superhuman right now. I'm calling the game in five days, so I'm gonna go with the Chiefs one a great game.
Speaker 3: What's it like to tackle Josh Allen?
Speaker 7: I think I so I played against him more earlier in his career, so it was probably maybe a little bit easy year then because he wasn't as settling and comfortable. So I've had some fun tackling Josh, but it's not fun chasing him around. He's big, he's fast, he's mobile, uh and he also has a great arm. But had a good one on him in the playoffs down there in Houston. I really enjoyed that.
Speaker 2: I was amazed when I saw Cam Newton in person.
Speaker 7: Cam is one of the only times that I really, you know, we've we've collided and you get up, You're like that was a collision. We both like it was a stunt and I wrapped around in the middle and he started to scramble right up the middle and we just neither of us kind of saw each other and at the last second we did it and it was one of those where we both went down right where we were. Neither gave round and you just look at nice.
Speaker 2: But you know, do you want those matchups there or would you rather, you know, try to chase Kyler Murray.
Speaker 7: No, I don't. I don't like chasing anybody. Dan. I'm gonna be honest with you. I prefer if they just stood there in the pocket. But then you have the guys that do that Brady who gets the ball out in one point four seconds, and you're like, all right, I can't, I can't even get there. Peyton was nice, I like, I like, you know, you know, uh, it was good, but I mean he also tortured us. I think he threw his fifty fifth touchdown pass against us. So I can't I can't even say anything there. Luck was Luck was another good one. I like chasing Luck around. We had some good battles, uh Me and Andrew Luck and then he was obviously always very cordial afterwards.
Speaker 3: Did you give your teammates Christmas gifts?
Speaker 7: Yes, the D line generally, what what did you give him? There's a there's a different level. So like actually early in my career, my first Defense Player of the Year, I gave the whole defense custom iPads that was early and then as it went on, it was there's a lot of a lot of beverages over the years, very nice beverages. Was you know, backpacks, designer and backpacks, things like that. Never never pick up trucks. That's a new one for me. There's a lot of I saw Ryan Fitzpatrick tweet it today, but he was right. There's a lot of questions I have about that from a tax standpoint, from registration standpoint, from an insurance standpoint. Uh, we'd love to see the logistics behind that.
Speaker 2: Is Uh, you ready for Christmas at home? You're gonna be on Like how tough is that? Like you've got to go Christmas Day? How big is your son?
Speaker 7: Uh? He is too, and he's large as you would expect, So it's it is tough. That's there's no question that's tough. But I'm leaving. Uh So I'm going to see him Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. I'm just going to be gone literally for the game. So we're gonna we're gonna do our own little Christmas here. He's he loves the Grinch. He is all in on the Grench. So he tried to steal our Christmas tree the other day and I said, what are you doing? He goes, I'm taking it up the chimney. He said, no, No, that's not the hero part.
Speaker 3: Is he already as tall as Kyler Murray?
Speaker 7: Oh, Dan, that's not fair. That's not fair.
Speaker 3: Merry Christmas to you.
Speaker 2: Have fun and you've got a great thought process going into that game of what we the audience wants to hear.
Speaker 3: Stick to it.
Speaker 2: And the Iron Eagle is his giving as any announcer that you'll work with, and that's really important.
Speaker 3: He will make you better.
Speaker 7: Yes, that's my whole goal in life, Dan, is to let everybody around me make me look good because they're all better than I am. So I'm here for it just like you. I appreciate you. And I got to give a shout out to Fritzy. We've been trying to make this happen for a very long time. I think I might have more text messages in my phone from Fritzy than I do for my wife. But I appreciate it. I'm glad we could finally make.
Speaker 2: It work for no no hold on. Remember we kind of have an over under of how many text messages before you have to take.
Speaker 4: This little space between messages.
Speaker 7: But he knows I actually wanted to do it like that's I'm I'm with it. We just literally it's been it's been chaos over here.
Speaker 6: It was always very very genuine and kind with his responses. I not one time did I get a hint that it's like you're being a pain. And then you know what, And he found time to do it on the last show of the twenty twenty four years.
Speaker 4: So that's very awesome that he did that. Okay, I have a good broadcast, my friend.
Speaker 7: Have you ever gotten a mean one back Fritzy. Has anybody ever said like to stop or just the big capital stop like the infomercial.
Speaker 6: Derek Thomas came over to me back in the day at the ESPN Zone or in Disney World and he's like, Fritzy, I got your first message, I got your third message, and I got your eighth message.
Speaker 4: I knew where to be. You got to relax a little bit with the messages.
Speaker 2: Well, we had a problem with Bill Murray that Fritzy. Bill Murray reached out to me and said, hey, tell Fritzi to stop. And so I said to Fritzie, stopped, Bill Murray will come on the show. You must stop and then Fritzi goes, should I text him to tell him that I got it? I go no, Oh, don't text him to tell him that you got the message. To stop texting him, but he always gets his man.
Speaker 4: I mean, well, I don't need to be a pay of the next.
Speaker 7: But you want No, You're the best. You're the best.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 7: You guys are great. I love I love it every time I'm here.
Speaker 2: Thank you, buddy. That's JJ what he'll be working Christmas Day. Cheaps Steelers on Netflix one Eastern and uh Iron Eagle be on the call.
Speaker 3: Let's take a break.
Speaker 2: We got our poll question coming up and we'll update that and we got to play the day right after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio wapp Oh my God.
Speaker 3: The play of the day, Buttter Lives, I got it.
Speaker 13: Play this is the play of the day.
Speaker 4: Check this out.
Speaker 2: Edward's in the backfield, Darius Davis in motion, Herbert to throw pump fakes, sad now.
Speaker 14: To the exo toucht up shot Joe serious Davis, Oh whole shot from Justin Herbert let's sideline of the.
Speaker 2: Episode Chargers Radio Network with the call at your play of the day brought to you by Rapid Radios Instant pushed to Talkuonkie Talkies offering national LGE coverage, clear connection at the touch of a button.
Speaker 3: Great communication device for the kids.
Speaker 2: Go to Rapid Radios dot com up to sixty percent off and free shipping a couple of phone calls in here we'll update the poll results.
Speaker 3: Will in South Carolina. Good morning, Will, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 11: Good morning, first time, long time five eleven, two ten. I'll keep his brief. Back in April, my church brought up a guy who needed a kidney, and I felt like I was the guy to give it. So after going through a lot of testing and prodding and spraying two weeks ago, I was able to donate my kidney to him. And I just wanted to express my appreciation to y'all for being a part of the recovery for me. I finally joined that long list of hospital people who listened to to Dan Patricks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, thank you, Will and a great gesture on your part. Merry Christmas to you. You can vote on most Valuable Danette. We'll decide later today. Go to Danpatrick dot com and the pole question located at the bottom left corner of the page.
Speaker 3: Andy and Rhode Island. Hi, Andy, what's on your mind?
Speaker 15: Dumbbody? Hey, good morning, Dan, Dennett's Marvin my brother. I hope you're doing well. I hope everybody's on shows doing great too. Hey, Fritsy, I got a headline for your Fritsy Tribune and that would be Chargers nix the Broncos. Okay, you know, and you know, I'm glad that everyone was able to be part of that historic viewership to that fifty seven yard sparecat free kick. And my god, I lost my mind too because I was questioning what was going on.
Speaker 1: But then I.
Speaker 15: Realized that there's a big rule with this, and to Harvard's favor, he was able to pull it out and it was something great. And you know, for that to not only be coincidential that the Chargers are the only team in the last forty eight years that have also committed another fair catch free kick, and just you know, and it was almost like history repeating itself so far along. And one more thing, Dan, my James and Virginia moment with you. It lives within infamy within the household. You know black Andy, now you know, even my Beyonce, she just messed around with me. Now she's called me it, I added jokingly. But you know, nonetheless, I you know, I hope to see you guys maybe on a zoom call one day and maybe you know, and just y'all, y'all are great and enjoy your time off.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you Andy, Andy and Rhode Island. Marvin's got a big smile on his face with and amazing Blandy Blandy. Yes, here's Jim Harball on the free kick at the end of the first half.
Speaker 7: It's my favorite role in football.
Speaker 16: And just been trying to get one of those, like every game, you know, you've been trying to get one of these.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, the first one we've made. I tried.
Speaker 16: We tried one with the forty nine ers. I think it was like a seventy yarder or something seventy one. Thanks, yeah, mister Dawson, Uh, probably a little. I wanted it so bad that you know, I tried a seventy more yarder.
Speaker 7: But it is.
Speaker 2: It is my favorite rule, you know, it's it's amazing though. These are the little things and you know John Harball was his special teams coach. He was never a coordinator, and he's one of the brighter minds in the NFL when it comes to this. This is Belichickian like, this is something that Belichick would go. You know, I remember this is nineteen seventy six, Raying did this. But here's Jim and I'm watching. I'm going, I don't know this formation here, and then all of a sudden, it's like, uh oh, and that's a.
Speaker 3: Field goal and they needed those points there.
Speaker 2: So kudos to Harball with that call, with Cameron Dicker's fifty seven yard field goal and the first make of a fair catch kick attempt since the Chargers and Ray Wershing back in nineteen seventy six.
Speaker 12: Stand of a.
Speaker 14: Day, Stana Day, stant outa Day, stan outa Day.
Speaker 2: This is the stant of Day, brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program. JJ Watt was talking about Rock Purty gifting his offensive line pickup trucks. A rock party doesn't even make a million dollars. These pickup trucks probably are over sixty thousand dollars, I would think. So he gave ten linemen pickup trucks. Now, this is a guy who's probably gonna make fifty five million dollars, but still he's on a I think is he still living at home with his parents? Wasn't that a storyline there? So how much did he spend on these pickup trucks?
Speaker 5: Bawling, We're estimating seven hundred and fifty grand and he makes nine hundred and eighty five grand this year, Okay.
Speaker 3: He said.
Speaker 5: In the video, he walks in the offensive lineman room, he goes, hey, you guys got a minute, And these guys were genuinely surprised. They did the bow like the commercial. Yeah, they did the bow and everything.
Speaker 3: But do they have to pay taxes on this?
Speaker 5: Probably if you're gifted a truck from someone, yes, you would have to pay the taxes seventy grand pribly six percent.
Speaker 2: But didn't this happen on Oprah where you get a car and you get a car, and you get a car, and people didn't realize that you got to pay taxes.
Speaker 3: You got to pay taxes, You got to pay taxes. Yeah.
Speaker 10: See see this is brock Pardy playing chess right here. All the kirk cousins talk, do you pay brock Pardy do you whatever? He just got ten fellas to be like, that's my quarterback, that's my guy.
Speaker 3: I need him on this team.
Speaker 2: M yep, Okay, that's it. Okay, that's how you do it. Brou So, you think that there was a message behind this gesture. I think there was some more thought than just being kind.
Speaker 3: Bob in Montana, Hi, Bob, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 9: Hey, good morning, DP from hopefully one of the twenty twenty four mv C finalists.
Speaker 5: I hope.
Speaker 9: Hey. I mailed you guys at Christmas card. I tried to get through before sending it because I didn't want to get a cease and desist letter from you for using your name, image and likeness from our big epic trip together down to Vegas for Super Bowl Week. But I put it together and I mail it to you anyway, So hopefully you guys got that, and then excuse me. Lastly, there's an opening in Montana for a local morning drive time rock and roll DJ, and so I was going to see if he had any pointers for that. I'm thinking about officially applying here after the holidays are over and out that I'm single and I'm free to do whatever job I want to and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: So well, maybe maybe I reach out and maybe I apply for the job. When this job is over, I could do moornings in Montana and I get to play great music. Bozeman's hot of him. Here's Zeppelin two for Tuesday at the Bows coming up. Rhys Davis ESPN College Game Day host Kurt Warner, Hall of famer will stop by. Al Michaels was on the call last night. He'll join us in the final hour. More phone calls coming up, and make sure you vote for most Valuable. Dan ed at danpatrick dot com