Speaker 1: Native lamp Pod is a production of iHeartRadio and partnership with Recent Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 1: Home, y'all. This is episode counted forty seven of Native Lamppod, where we give you our breakdown on all things politics and culture. Please help me. Welcome our co hosts, my co host Tiffany Cross and Angela Raie. What's up ladies, Andrew and of course I'm manager Gillam. Thank you for the introduction. Angel How y'all doing your respected places great?
Speaker 3: It's glooming right now in here. Yeah, I mean I'm in Seattle. Is just gray. It's not rainy, it's just gray right now. It's turning in the fall.
Speaker 4: You could have been here.
Speaker 3: I could not have been there. But I will see you this weekend shortly. I will see you tomorrow.
Speaker 1: That's it. That's it.
Speaker 5: But technically today for the podcast.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow mis today. Speaking of podcasts, Angela, what's on your mind which you want to talk about today?
Speaker 3: I want to talk about a lot. I want to talk about John F. Kelly, a different JFK who is Donald Trump's former Department of Homeland Security secretary and his former White House Chief of Staff saying that it turns out he actually is a fascist.
Speaker 1: Ah, thank you for mentioning that word, because today I would love for us to dig into what the heck gets fascism? What does it look like right now? Because I think some of us, you know, have thrown the term around and now we need to deepen into what does it mean in the event that we actually have to deal with a fascist president? And tiff, what's up?
Speaker 4: I want to talk about what's happening, and that is Vice President Harris's town hall, former President Trump's interview with Joe Rogan, and these early voting numbers. And I mean my question that I have for you guys is does anything make a difference at this point?
Speaker 1: Well, guess what we should get into your question on you cool with kicking your question off first?
Speaker 4: Yes, I think if I know correctly, there is a viewer who asked questions and that's right on topic.
Speaker 6: Let's here lamb pid Kelly Michelle again being greedy with another question. So there's been a lot of chatter in terms of the Harris campaign not investing enough into black media. I know she has a lot of people to please, but I guess the question is or the statement has been that it's been less than one percent that she has invested or they have invested into black media in terms of marketing and advertising dollars. I know that she is doing and making herculean effort in terms of reaching everyone. Charlemagne, she's going on thought, she's doing everything they ask her to do it. She says, Okay, but I guess the question again is do you have any ideas on why there aren't any marketing or advertising dollars spent on black media platforms?
Speaker 4: All right, So I like this question because we've talked about this a bit on the podcast before, and I'll just revisit it for folks, because this is not if you haven't worked in politics, This isn't common knowledge. So I'm appreciative of the viewer who gets it, who understands. So there's a difference between earned media and paid media, and so Vice President Harris has certainly, to her point, made a herculean effort with earned media. She did the Breakfast or not the Breakfast Club, but she sat down for the interview with Charlemagne, she did Roland Martin. She's also done niche media markets and some smaller interviews. As I just talked about in the intro, she's doing the CNN town hall, which is not specific to black media, but it certainly is relevant to what she's doing. She's participating in that by the time you guys hear this, it will have already taken place. But it took place in Chester Township, Pennsylvania. And this, just so you guys know, is the same night that she and Trump were supposed to debate again. He of course declined, and so CNN offered her this slot. I think that she has at a later effort, her campaign has started to put money in black media. I think it's a fair criticism. Might be curious what my co hosts have to say. I think it's a fair criticism of a lot of these campaigns. And I'm not just gonna say that to Vice President Harris because this goes down ballot for Senate racis where are you spending your dollars? And I remember us talking about this with them on the effort to go after those nicky Haley voters early on. So it is a fair question I think to ask, well, why aren't we spending more dollars in black media? My honest question at this point is what more can Vice President Harris do? Even what more can Donald Trump do? I don't really care about him, but I just think at this point it is already written the outcome of this race. If you are undecided, I don't believe that there are too many undecided voters. There might be people deciding to vote. But even if you're deciding to vote, what are you basing your decision on? At this point, it just like, yes, they should keep running and sprinting and doing everything. But I don't know what's going to tilt the skills outside of a GOTV game, Like how many people show up in early voting and how many people show up on election data cast ballots. That's the only thing that matters. I can't pull over polls fifteen different poles a day. I can't follow this, you know, rotten media narrative that they just like to keep people tuned in. They get something out of people feeling inks at this point, let's just let's get it done. But Angela Andrew, I know y'all may feel differently, so I'm curious if y'all think at this point that anything can change.
Speaker 1: Angela would love to hear in the media buying and then I love the question TI if I get through it after Angela.
Speaker 3: I do think that given the fact that the Harris campaign has raised over a billion dollars in three months, that they certainly could spend a lot more money with black lead organizations and with black lead media. I think that one, you know, frankly, our good brother and friend Lenard's interview with Kamala Harris and the fact that it is now as of today, over thirty five billion social impressions demonstrate that black facing content and hosts can actually be a much better strategy for candidates and campaigns than.
Speaker 5: What we normally see.
Speaker 3: I remember complaining, frankly when Kamala Harris went to do the interview with Dana Bash on CNN, wondering who she was going to get because the folks who are going to turn into that interview, for the most part, are attracted to and interested into interested in political media.
Speaker 5: What is my point?
Speaker 3: I think that it has everything to do with where you buy media and where.
Speaker 5: You participate in interviews.
Speaker 3: Those things can peacefully coexist and they can go on facing platforms. I'm saying black facing because some of black facing some but I get it.
Speaker 5: Some of them are not.
Speaker 3: Like Blackfast Club is on iHeart, but Black Effect is a black owned network that iHeart is in a venture with a joint venture with and so it makes sense that Breakfast Club airing that interview, Breakfast Club being on Black Effects and on iHeart, that actually can also build well for our communities. We have to pay attention to the fact that these seasons, and this is something that some white folks won't tell you, but this is the time of the year where people figure out ways to ensure their long term longevity and viability through the campaign season. They spend a lot of money. And it's not just black folks who figure out their survival during a campaign season. It is also white facing platforms. So that's a roundabout way to say, I think they could do more. They have done better in the final weeks leading up to the election, but I do think they could do more, and she should. I also think that she should go on more conservative platforms, but I'll save that for another part of the conference.
Speaker 5: Shure to hear.
Speaker 4: Your thoughts on that. If you were to save it five I'm curious for that.
Speaker 5: Andrew punted to me for media. I'll come back around.
Speaker 1: To that I wanted you for both. But I will say, to your point, exclamation marking it, something like seventy to eighty percent of these budgets are going to be spent in media, advise commercials, eighty percent of a billion dollars. And that's not to say what the outside groups are spending, you know, particularly on the Trump side, how much money they have. You know, they're just in the tang tif to your question, I think right now, she's got to try to win every day. I think every single day. It is about getting out there, being everywhere all the time. There's no such thing as oversaturation if you're Kamala Harrison, Tim Wallas at this point, because we needed to be at the forebrain of every single person. Not the ones who follow political podcasts and media, not the ones who are reading the paper every day, not those who are sleepless because they are so anxious about the outcome of this election, but regular folks who are not tuning in at this level, who are getting their news largely through somebody Snapchat and Instagram and Facebook feeds. They need to know that an election is approaching, and we ought to be trumpeting it like it's a second coming, right like this thing is going down and you can vote right now. I'm not certain that there is going to be much shift in people's opinion around whether they're going to vote for her or for Trump. I think you're right, things are baked in. But what I do think is turnout is going to be everything. So right now you'll see a lot of great historic numbers being posted for early voting and a lot of places that we're concerned about. But then on election Day, Trump's fokes come out and they wallop us. They wallop us on election day voting. We can't be beat like that on election day, which means every day we got to be voting. And then on election day we've got to have mass turnof from those people who weren't sure they were going to vote, who have now determined that this election is important enough they're showing up. And Angela, I wanted to hear you on this one too. I just wanted you to address the media thing because you had more expertise.
Speaker 3: Uh, well, I don't know about that. You actually ran a campaign and you know exactly how much how much I say, how much money money, Yeah, I'm ad buyers on the on the organizations and the corporations that got the advice, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 5: You know, I think the other thing. I actually just want to get into the fascism conversations.
Speaker 4: I'll demeir you want to save your thing, your conservative your thoughts about her going on conservative platforms or fascism.
Speaker 3: No, I think I've been clear about my what I think she should do it conservative labor.
Speaker 4: I just feel like this, I'll say something, Well, then I'll say something I want to. Can we play the Hassam Minaj sound bite? Because I think he encapsulates a large voting block that I find that I find myself very frustrated with. Let's roll that bite.
Speaker 7: I'm part of a generation of men that don't read but listen to podcasts, terrifying.
Speaker 1: All my homies out here. Texting me alpha male means just hard times make hard men, hard men, make good times. Good times make soft men. A society will never value its men until the wolves are at the door. I'm like, Sanjay, you're a software engineer. Shut the fuck up. Why why are you texting me like you're Julius Caesar? Whatever? Bro Mamba mentality, Mamba mentality, Sanjay, you blew your knee out playing pickleball, and you're quoting Kobe Bryant.
Speaker 4: Now for all, I love Hassamnaj. I think he does such a great job of like a smart, funny humor. But this is kind of my challenge, and I think this kind of shifts us into the fascism conversation because there are these pockets of men who are seduced by fascism. I know we'll talk about it from a global perspective, Andrew and a historical perspective, but present day I'm having challenge is because you know, I said this to Andrew or earlier on the phone. It feels like sometimes ninety percent of the people function off the intelligence of ten percent of people. I say that because when I'm in debates with people, it's okay if you don't know. I don't know everything you know. I ask questions. When I don't know, I'm curious. I go on a fact finding mission when people have like I have personally sent Vice President Harris's Platform for Black Men to several people. I have personally had conversations with people outside of the black community on policy. I've even talked about them a few times on this show. And when the information is so readily available to you. It's not going to be spoon fed to you on fucking TikTok. It's not going to be handed to you on a silver platter like you do. Have to participate in this here, democracy and willful ignorance is a privilege. It's like somehow like our our history taught we didn't have that privilege, Like we had to be informed, we had to know what we were talking about to participate in this CYSM them. So I find myself increasingly frustrated with people who are like, no, I just choose to be ignorant. I know, I can I have this stuff right in front of my face or be honest about You're not ignorant, but you like the BS, the racism, the xenophobia, the misogyny that Trump espouses because you can't really he cannot beat her on policy. So curious y'alls thoughts?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, first of all, I love the I love the satire here, and sometimes it's the best way out of serious conversation is to get people with a laugh first, because I do think the implications of what was said there, you know, listening to podcasts, I mean, that's at least an exaggerated, an exaggerated form of hearing somebody's opinions or thoughts and maybe news, depending upon who you're hearing it from. But a lot of people are getting it from even less than that, a couple of seconds on a topic, arriving out of it as an expert. Right, But I do think, what what what was being joked about? This hyper masculinity that Trump is expecting from the podium is also showing up in these closing ads. Right, there's a reason why all over the country they got one line, their one closing argument is about transgend gender folk. The whole thing is boiled down to that. And you've got folks out here, now, you know, a lot of men and masculine men or maybe whatever that is. However you show up running around here thinking they're gonna get infected with with with with with with being you know, being trans by looking or being near or if they're on their kids teams or and the truth is is, like we're talking about the smallest, smallest, smallest percentage of people period in the world who are confronting unmitigated hate every single day, having to convince themselves that they're worth they're worth it to crawl out of bed and live right. But this is who they're taking direct aim at, and there's a reason for it. They want to make this feel like it's so big, it's so everywhere, and your kids are next, so that these folks. Yeah, so all these folks end up, you know, arriving at the polls, you know, hi for you know, hyped up on something because Trump told them that they were about to turn trands. I mean, I don't like, it doesn't even make sense, but that's kind of what's happening here. I think it's unfortunate, and I think it's lowbrow, and I think he's swinging at emotion here, but emotion can be a very very powerful motivator to voting.
Speaker 3: I do want to say, y'all, I have a bone to pick though with assimonage here, and that is.
Speaker 5: For the people who listen to podcasts, Please keep listening because.
Speaker 1: Especially this so come you home.
Speaker 3: We do not pooh pooh those who want to listen to podcasts, and hopefully you will read as well. Hopefully our podcast inspires you to read and not to espouse conspiracy theories. But you know, I may have one. I may actually have one. I think you guys that this whole idea of fascism is not something that just popped up with Donald Trump. I believe as Harry Reid, God rest his soul, said that Donald Trump is the Republican Party's Frankenstein. And to that end, I don't know if General Kelly agrees with us on the Frankenstein piece, but I do think he agrees with us on fascism.
Speaker 5: So if we can roll that clip that we begin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you what do you think?
Speaker 5: Do you think he's a fascist?
Speaker 8: Well, I'm looking at the definition of fascism. It's a far right, authoritarian, ulter nationalist political ideology and movement characterized by actoral leader, centralized hypocrisy, militarism, e flicible suppression of opposition, belief in a natural social hierarchy. So certainly, in my experience, those are the times he thinks we've worked better in terms of running America. You know, again back to this issue of U. You know, democracy is UH is complicated, UH messy to operate. Probably the worst kind of government there is except for all the other ones. I think Churchill ones said.
Speaker 7: That, and and and again.
Speaker 8: Our constitution are founder is built in to the Constitution into the way our government operates, built in a lot of checks and balances, and was didn't design the governess streamlined and whatnot. So but but certainly the former president UH is in the far right area, certainly an authoritarian, admires people who are dictators. He has said that, so he certainly falls into the into the general definition of of fascists for sure.
Speaker 3: I wanted to play that for all of the reasons that we know t if you were saying earlier on our production call that we do a lot of preaching to the choir, and so let's convene the church, because I think that it's important for us to talk about what fascism is. Of course, General Kelly in that clip runs down a definition. I'm curious to know what you all's definitions are and how this applies.
Speaker 5: Now. I definitely have some thoughts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was just gonna say, if you wouldn't mind introducing who John Kelly is.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, sorry, I did that at the top of the show, but just to reiterate.
Speaker 5: John F. Kelly, not to be confused with John F.
Speaker 3: Kennedy, was Donald Trump's former chief of staff from twenty seventeen to twenty nineteen. Prior to serving in that role, he served as the Homeland Security Secretary for a whopping six months.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yes, so I have a lot of challenges with John Kelly there. I find him coming out at this point interesting. So fascism, it comes from the rise of fascism. Even the word fascist comes from an Italian word. It's like it's fascist but spelled differently. It sounds like I'm saying the same thing but spelled differently. And my thoughts, I would say fascism is an idea of worshiping an authority figure, and that authority figure invokes a cult like following, and they enforced their ideology through methods of violence and manipulation. Given that definition, I think that's what we are seeing. You form tight knit communities. And of course the United States remembers the rise of fascism in our recent history. We can go back a lot further, but in our recent history, Mussolini, this is how they invented the word fascism. Mussolini carried these twin visions and became the Prime Minister of Italy in nineteen twenty two, and he remains infamous to this day for his work. So yeah, I agree, with John Kelly. But I'll tell you, Angela, my challenge with all these never trumpers and people who work for the Trump administration and people who quit on January sixth, You knew exactly who this man was on January fifth, fourth, third, you know exactly who this man was in twenty sixteen, twenty fifteen, we knew exactly who this man was in the eighties. Our community knew exactly who this man was in the nineteen seventies. So again I would go back to my point of willful ignorance, because a part of cultivating this culture of violence does come I think from is nothing wrong. Obviously, we want people to continue to listen to these podcasts. But I love angel that you said, but please be sure to read as well. We are not reporters. You know, we're giving our opinion here. You know, there is a whole separate entity of news outlets, actual news outlets who are digging into stories, they're reporting things that happen, and we trust that you all can form your own opinions. We come here in exchange in healthy ideas and ideology about us. But even if somebody was saying, well, this is where I get my news from I would encourage you, like we the three of us that around and say we want to talk about these three things. It's a lot more happening. So I think fascism rises in ignorance. Well, the more informed populations are, the less likely popular popular populism is to rise. But Andrew, I want to hear because I know you want to talk about Pinoche. I definitely wanted to.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, I guess for me the reason why this is really resonant or important is we hear the term fascism and fascism thrown out a lot, and I think people sort of adopt it as maybe just a political insult, but it's not just a trading of barbes between people. You're a fascist and you're a socialist and you're there's real meaning, there's real thought, there's a real ideology that informs this. Tiffany, you were just saying, how we knew who he was, We knew who he was, we knew who he was. That's right. But now he knows who we are. He knows that you can't put a giant, you can't put a general Kelly back in his cabinet. He knows the folks who went in under the intention that they could maybe guide the horse. Well, now this horse is buck He's not to be guided by anybody. He knows who his political foes are on the left and the right and so on and so forth, so he's not bringing them in and all. That's why I think the urgency of this when I hear Liz Cheney and also Kamala Harrison last night, or President Obama and so many other surrogates come out, this man unguarded, unchecked, with a Supreme Court that looks pretty much prepared to represtent, whatever he does is going to be out of control, out of control, and so the word, I guess fascism takes on new meaning for all of us. And you know, if we view it through this aspect, one definition that I sort of adopted is, you know, and I think many experts and mass political movement study now agree that fascism emphasizes nationalism, militarism, and the supremacy of a nation for an individual, with the exception of the fact that it promotes a cult to personality. Fascist regimes cultivate images of their leaders as great figures to be loved and admired. I think we see and we hear this all the time with with with interviews coming directly from Trump. You know, Trump rallies. This model of government stands in contrast to liberal democracies. That's what we hold ourselves up as today and as the Framers put it, if we could keep it, liberal democracies supports individual rights, competitive elections, and political dissent. That's where we are today, where we appreciate those factors. But fascist regimes are revolutionary and nature. They advocate the overthrow of existing governments and persecution of their political enemies. These regimes are highly conservative in their championing of traditional values, and although fascist leaders typically claim to support every man, the everyday person, their regimes often align with powerful business and truest. Does any of this resonate with the folks on the listening end of this when you see Elon Musk going into his pocket prepared to spend a million dollars a day and what I believe is an illegal scheme, But either way, a million dollars a day and then writing checks three times seventy five million dollars a pop for true?
Speaker 4: Is that legal? Even now? I don't know that anybody go away in But because Angela worked on Angela. I will tell y'all is super aware and contest of compliance. So when I heard that, I'm like, I don't even know that's that's least in it.
Speaker 5: Right to the Department of Justice.
Speaker 3: Right to the Department Justice, Like there's you cannot buy or persuade people to vote a certain way. And even if you're saying it's you know, you're encouraging registration. We know what he's doing based on even how he's shifting the algorithm on Twitter. Sure, Elon Musk is a part of what happens in a fascist society. But I think one of the most telling things that John Kelly said in that interview was centralized hypocrisy. Centralized hypocrisy. It is not the unfolding of fascism now. It was the unfolding of fascism.
Speaker 9: Then.
Speaker 3: We saw fascism unfolding when he questioned Barack Obama's first certificate and where he was born. Right, We were a fascist society when they came out with a concept of alternative facts.
Speaker 5: It was a fascist society.
Speaker 3: When this man, this white man, because this is pertinent to the point, this white man could have three baby mothers, could go bankrupt. God knows how many times could have a loan from his father and still fumble the bag could get be indicted ninety one times reduced to eighty eight times. The judge who he appointed and was Senate confirmed throughout the case.
Speaker 5: Now she's being considered for Attorney general.
Speaker 3: It was fascism when Donald Trump new classified ad runs and it says wanted yes men only.
Speaker 5: That is fascism.
Speaker 3: It's fascism when it is religious nationalism, and the Christian Rights says the only candidate of choice is Donald Trump because he espouses Christian principles, and they turn a blind eye to every bit of violence. On January sixth, it was fascism when it was about ethnic nationalism and making America great again, and they harken back to a time that where black people were harmed the greatest. We have a major problem on our hand, and it is that hands, and it is that fascism began long ago, and folks are just realizing what it means.
Speaker 4: The fascism began long ago, even before this trumpet. I mean fascism came to the United States on the hills of Mussolini in the nineteen thirties. It was so bad here that even the Aco you had to come out, even though students, the history, you guys are rid of brown shirts, the white hit the yellow shirts, and to the point when they ran out of shorts and then it was like the black Shorts group. But fascism has penetrated American society for almost a century. So this has been rising slowly over the years. That's why I say when we black folks of all people, because we've been on the receiving end of it, know how to view it. And the way it was treated even then in the nineteen thirties was like a joke like Mussolini supporters, because it wasn't our government. Mussolini supporters are kind of like an inconvenience. And it got more and more intense and eventually became more violent. There's been a consistent rise of fascism in this country.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 1: The only exception I would take with its existence here in America is that it has not yet to this point, it had not yet taken over the whole of institutions at different levels of our society. There have been able to be checks and balances in the stages of fascism. I would agree that it has been long in the making. And I'll just just stay real quick with the five stages of fascism. According to political science. Researchers say, and one is emerging out of disillusionment. And we could all give examples to this. Number two established legitimacy as a political party. Third, gaining power via right wing partnerships. Fourth using power to dominate institutions. This is the stage I think we would be at in upon a second Trump administration. In fifth implementing radical reforms. And these are reforms that, over time take take away civil liberties, take away civil rights, take away chance, take it, take again all the all of the fomenting that we've seen and that we're experiencing right now. It almost feels like it doesn't happen overnight. But y'all don't pay attention to the signs. We we oftentimes don't pay attention to the signs as they are right here dangling in front of us, until all of a sudden we wake up. And then and then you know, it feels like the world has you know, it feels like the world has ended.
Speaker 3: I think we're well in it, and I hear your point that it's not. We're not all the way there or it's it's right in front of us. But I would argue that there are some institutions that have already been corrupted, including the Supreme Court, which we've talked about on the show, including the House of Representatives that could not select a speaker because of it. Like, I think that we really I think that we really cannot get away from that. I think the other thing that we have to pay attention to, and this is why I agree with you Tip that it was long before Trump, but he became the poster child, the singular face of it, the authoritarian ruler, the dictator rule, right like that. Before that, it was the trifectas in state governments that Republicans were long pushing now to be fair, In twenty twenty two, there were seventeen states where Democrats had a trifecta, but there were twenty two where Republicans had a trifecta, and four more where there were super majorities veto proof majorities in those states, those were by design and by with intention, right they pursued having these full, full single party rules on the state level that only helped Donald Trump. Some of you at home may be saying, why, well, there's such thing as a constitutional convention, and if they ever want to amend the Constitution, they have to have two thirds of us of the States agree with them to change or to add an amendment to the Constitution. This is by design, and it has been in play for a really long time. I wouldn't say since the nineteen twenties and thirties, but I would say it's been by design for a long time.
Speaker 4: Since Rage, it has been no.
Speaker 3: What I'm saying, I like, we've seen shifts and then we've seen it go back. I'm saying by design on the Republican level, with the Koch brothers, with Alec, with all of these things, at least since the nineteen eighties, with Reagan, I will say.
Speaker 4: Thirty posts, a new deal, and the whole warrior is so, the.
Speaker 1: Whole fascism came out of the time, the period between World War I'm not confused about that.
Speaker 4: I'm saying that you're your friend. We're not saying you're confused. I think you're making a point for the audience.
Speaker 1: Andrew, Yeah, I am trying to make a point for the audience, which is simply to say there is a period under which fascism got its definition in an end its examples, which were obviously first through Mussolini and then through Hitler. But what I'm saying about the reason why I don't want people to believe that we have survived through this is that it gets we're talking about when you look at the examples of fascism that is extreme, uh in part in all parts of the world. And we've seen it in South America, we've seen it in are obviously Europe. But you're talking about militaries that then become compliant to a to a to First a president who then fit who legally through through liberal democracies, comes into power. But then while they're in power, they change rules, laws, constitutions, implementing documents, so on and so forth, so that they extend the life of their term to forever until they die. They then uh get rid of constitutions and civil liberties. We then lose hold of our own personal rights. And it's it's it will come in the blink of an eye, y'all. Donald Trump has already told when you vote, you don't have to worry about voting again. He's already said I may just stay president, live there, right, stay there for life. He's already told us, I'll be a dictator, but only on day one. He's already said that the enemies are enemies from within, and therefore I can, as the commander in chief, compel the US military and the National Guard to intervene against my domestic enemies. That's not what That's not how democracies work. That is not how liberal democracies work. And so I just what, Let's believe the man when he says a thing that he's going to do. Let's believe him. Because now no guardrails, and already one of the institutions have fallen to him, the US Supreme Court and thereby the Court's rule of law. It's all in his pocket. So to me, the threat is the threat is so huge. And I just think that for those of us, I know, we're not preaching to the choir, because you know, we're all in the choir. We're all in this together. But we have to I think, use the time between now an election day to move as many people as we possibly can to the polls who may not understand the strength of this threat, but know that something's not right. I just think we have to. This is the time that we've got to activate. When you asked, Tiff, what can change? Only thing that can change is the force and the strength by which we all moved to move people to the polls.
Speaker 4: And to this, I think I think you Ally was gonna say, what's gotta change right now is the break? But I want to pick up on Angela's plan on the other side, because I think Angela is one hundred percent right. Is here is happening now, So what do we do about that? So we'll pick that up on the other side.
Speaker 10: Former President Obama was back out and invoke the potential of sexism in his appeal to black men to support the vice president. Was it a mistake for the former president to say what he did? What was your That's what we heard from former President Obama.
Speaker 3: You know, I think that it's wonderful that President Obama is out hitting the trail for democracy, frankly, And what I think is a mistake is to let white folks escape their accountability that they must face for not showing up to save democracy themselves. Like they want to get mad at presidential candidates right when they don't wear a flag lapel pin or they don't see you pledging allegiance to the flag. That's what they want to get upset about. Now, the face of patriotism to them looks like trying to tear down the Capitol in a terrorist attack on January sixth, twenty twenty one. So the responsibility of saving democracy should be on the largest demographic in this country, that is white men and white women. So I wanted to play that for y'all, not because you aren't completely tired of hearing my voices, and you can hear it right now, but just because I think it's been fascinating to me speaking of fascism the way this clip has been run. Now, listening to it on the back in, I can understand. I'm just trying to be fair. Listen, if they hear things from all sides, Maybe because I referenced January sixth, they thought I was calling for another insurrection. Maybe that's what they were doing, but that's not happening, especially because people who I love dearly, who are my professional family, work on Capitol Hill. So certainly I'm not calling for violence on Capitol Hill or anywhere else for that matter.
Speaker 5: But I'm fascinated to understand y'all.
Speaker 3: How since we did see it in together promoting our Detroit Live show shout out to Atlanta. We will be there with you all on Friday. How in the world they got for my words, this church girl's words.
Speaker 5: On accountability? How that is violence?
Speaker 3: There have been and TIF made this point earlier on our production call too. It's not reasonable people who are making this point. But when I tell you, one Republican tweeter posted it, and all of the Republican rags, all of the papers, all of their blogs ran with the exact same thing. Their discipline is on point. Y'all shout up a slow clap for y'all's discipline.
Speaker 5: But you're wrong, and you know you're wrong.
Speaker 3: And so I just I wanted to just have a conversation with y'all briefly as we get out of fascism, to like go into accountability and what accountability looks like to y'all, because it looks very different to me than what has been espoused on these platforms, Like they know that's not what I miss. So I want to hear what y'all think accountability actually means.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, I obviously understood your point Angela about accountability. I think accountability is the child of responsibility, and I think we all have a responsibility to this here democracy. I think you know this would happen every week on my show, and Angela, you know, stranger to this every time you're on TV. You know they clip it. Andrew, for sure, you don't check a lot of things, but I imagine if you check your social media Instagram, you'd be tagged in a lot of these right wing things. So it seems so big to us because we have ourselves Google News Alert and we get it. But the truth is this is a small sect of society. I think the people left on Twitter at this point, Twitter is not what it once was. So these right wing mag these fringe outlets, it's a small group of people who are trying to drum up this thing. It becomes real, Angela because when you're saying accountability and someone takes that a different way and they start attacking you personally, and you start getting emails. I mean I've gotten letters to my house before, I've gotten detailed to my website about the detail on which ways they would rape me or what they would do to family members. And so you consume all these words and it's like, I, you know, I maybe it's a fringe outlet of people. Maybe it's only five thousand people who read this, but the impact of that is very real. That is fascism. That is how fascism is one hundred percent right here, and that's how it becomes violent. Reasonable people understood exactly even if they disagreed, Even if there were white people who said, well, I don't know about that, they could disagree. Reasonab people understood your point. Responsibility, accountability, like you all are willing to throw it all away to vote for this man. Don't show us no more sound bites of black men. Don't be in no more round tables of black men talking about that they don't represent anybody, They don't represent a large enough constituency because most black men are supporting Vice President Harris. Angelo's point was talk to conservative white people about how they're going to vote, because they're the ones who voted overwhelmed across all socio economic background. They voted overwhelmingly for him in twenty sixteen and again in twenty twenty, and they appear to be poised to do that again. So I understood what you were saying, Angela, And I will tell you I was in the fire one time, and Angela's been in the fire. A lot, and we are two different people people. They've literally had a headline of like Tiffany Cross said this blah blah blah, and it was Angela's picture on the cover of it. And so then I started getting tags easy like Tiffany said, we got a whole white people kind of I'm like, that was Angela. I agree, I echoed my sister, but was not me. But I understood what you were saying. And I'm also just sorry that you have to go through that, because I know what that's like. I know you frustrating.
Speaker 3: I really brought this up as an example, and what's hoping we could have a broader conversation about accountability period, because I think that that is a word that does mean something very different to some of these white folks.
Speaker 5: I'm not talking about even the French.
Speaker 3: I think when they hear accountability, just like when they hear power sharing power with black people, sharing power people of color is a terrifying concept to them because of how they've abused it historically. Accountability one and the same facing accountability to a slaveholder was whipping your slaves, right, That's not what accountability means to me, Andrew.
Speaker 5: I want to hear what you were say about accountability.
Speaker 1: Why I was just say your words were clear. You said the responsibility for saving democracy is to march themselves to the polls. I don't know what was violent about that. I don't know what was calling for violence about that. I thought it was a true statement that quite frankly, if white men and white women were to give us the majority, give liberal democracy, give common sense, give us right the majority of their votes, we all would be over all would be done settled. But I think as we see and said we've all said in different ways on this show, different voters come to the polls with different motivations, and if there, if they are where they are, they're there for a reason. They have decided to prioritize something else over what we believe is is the priority, which is small d democracy and all the other things that we care about. And they've decided that maybe what is in their best interests is a white nationalist fascist as president who will protect their part of the earth. And I think that's unfortunate and shortsighted, and just like Rome never thought it would fall, you know, a great Britain, once the superpower of the globe, thought it would never fall in its empire, Russia and its empire. Empires do fall, Yeah, and they And again it's you know, we don't think it happens overnight, but in a blink of an eye we look up.
Speaker 4: But I think that's the point angels making. It does not happen overnight, like we are crumbling now, We've been crumbling for centuries. I wanted to hear more about what you were saying, Angela about because I think that's such a key point and feeds to Andrew's point about fascism. The point that you're making why white people are afraid of that word accountability and you were creating a wrinkle in time between that and enslavement and that and oppression and how white people have used power. I would love to make that point so it could be my own, but I want you to finish. I want you to finish what you were saying, because I think that's such a key point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just I think that I see power differently, right, Like I was raising the house with an activist who taught us about the Rainbow Coalition. I'll like Reverend Jackson and the fact that if we gain power and if we gain access, then we are gaining access for everyone. That's the point that our good friend Latasha Brown is always making when I'm talking about accountability. It is in the tradition of the Black Church, accountability means you repent, you confess, you repent, you turn from your wicked ways, and you go in another direction. Right Like, to me, that isn't about being chastised, and it certainly isn't about violence. I don't like to kill spiders. I like we try to pick them up in knapkins and throw them outside. Now, if it jump out the napkins, spider me and you have a problem.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 3: But other than that, I really don't believe. I don't believe in violence. I don't want to be violent. I grew up in a non violent tradition. Now I believe in self defense, you know, But I just I don't know. I think that ultimately, when they have to face the music on why they are hearing things in this way, it's because of their own experiences and their own ancestral memory and what they're carrying in their DNA, and they also have to face accountability for that. They got to come to terms with what that is and why therapy y'all go I believe in it.
Speaker 5: I approved this message.
Speaker 4: Also, like the pain that we carry from it, just to acknowledge it. Because you're not saying none of us are saying like every white person is bad, every white person is doing something. But white people do benefit from a system that oppresses us largely, and we have to be careful not to equate classism and racism, you know, because then I've been on panels with people were like, I grew up poor and my family didn't have anything, and I made it myself. It's like, yeah, you still had certain benefits. Like we all, most of us grew up poor in our community. Look at the world's gap. Most of us came from nothing and built ourselves up. Our hurdles that we had to scale looked a lot different. The hurdles that we had to leap looked a lot different. From there. There may be some commonality, but it still looked different. Andrew, I'm curious because you keep saying like in the blink of an eye, it happens. Do you think we are at the line crossing, like we have crossed the line into fascist.
Speaker 1: I think I think this is the election that will determine that. I don't disagree with you that we've had again, if there's stages to this thing, if this thing happens, and I think the assault on facts was the beginning of it. The fact that we had a whole administration that tried to convince us that they were you were entitled to your own set of facts, that there's no common anything, there's no common truth, there's no common right, there's no common understand there's none of that. Dismiss with all of that. And when you dismiss, when you suspend with a free press and an arbiter of truth and non truth, and you get to be that for yourselves. Hold up everybody, because now you're telling me to go check a source. Why is that source the source to check? Why isn't mine the right source? Why isn't Fox News Bible? Why isn't Why isn't what I listened to and the shows that I patronize, Why why isn't that the fact? Why isn't that true? And so the getting rid of that, and I think we are at that stage. I don't think that they're shared belief between what's real and what isn't the fact that Donald Trump went out and told people that FEMA was only for a certain group of people, and if you made this much in the government was taking your houses and all that I mean just flat out lies. But guess what those lies took flight amongst a group of people. The next thing I just wanted to say is on this point of Angela mentioned Reverend Jackson in the political ideology that helped to shape her own friend Man right. I think we have to acknowledge that there are other models and examples of how you deal with power, what you do to get it, and how you keep it, other models that have been I think the majoritarian belief since the beginning of time, which is power is a limited quality, is of limited supply, and that it must be harbored and held and kept to me. And if it's shared with anybody, that's sharing means the loss of mind. So it's a zero sum game. Whereas many of us were brought into believed in a tradition that power is infinite, there is no limit to it. In fact, the more the more you give it, the more you get. Have you ever empowered somebody who you work with? Have you ever empowered an intern and said why don't you go do this? They don't they use that as a responsibility to grow in an example. But they're still looking to you as a leader. You haven't lost anything. So but if you believe that if you share power, and I think this is true of many of the folks who are bought in the brought up in the eurocentric a line of thinking of what power is is that it's limited and I've got to cheap it where all my mind you will, you will strip my fingers from it. Versus let's be ubiquitous with it. Everybody, get some.
Speaker 5: You know one thing that we should do.
Speaker 3: We know that part of what's happened with fascism and the teflon down is that most of what is thrown at him doesn't stick, including eighty eight plus felony indictments. I would say, though that get got Giuliani. That was not his story, and so he is now having to face accountability for what he's done and is not a violent sense of accountability. But child, did he get God for all of his resources? Let's roll the clip of the woman who.
Speaker 4: Oh, can we sorry? Can we play what Juliani said first? Okay, if you don't mind, because I want them to hear exactly he should be accountable tip.
Speaker 5: I was like, that's a great idea.
Speaker 3: Let's take take this basics of hooked on phonics class to the clip.
Speaker 11: Of Ruby Freeman and Shae Freeman Laws and one other gentleman quite obviously surreptitiously passing around us B ports as if they are vials of heroin or cocaine. I mean, it's.
Speaker 7: Obvious to anyone who's a criminal investigator or prosecutor they are engaged in surreptitious illegal activity again that day and after a week ago, and they're still walking around Georgia. Line should have been they should have been should have been questioned already. There are places of work, their homes should have been searched for evidence of ballots, for evidence of us V ports, for evidence.
Speaker 1: Of voter fraud.
Speaker 3: Before we get to this clip of Ruby Freeman, I just want to remind you all that that man who tried to compare taking USB hard drives to vials of cocaine is also the man that has been disbarred over these false election claims.
Speaker 5: That he's associated with the.
Speaker 3: And has been made to pay over one hundred and forty eight million dollars in damages for destroying these women's lives. He is also being charged with a felony related to trying to get falsified documents related to Donald Trump's election.
Speaker 5: Results in Arizona.
Speaker 3: So Giuliani is, he's got some problems on his hands, but let's see how he's taking these problems to the wrong one and he found out with accountability.
Speaker 9: For now, I want people to understand this money will never solve all of my problems. I can never move back into the house that I called home. I will always have to be careful about where I go and who I choose to share my name with. I miss my home, I miss my neighbor, and I miss my name. I've heard some of you. Don't be sad for me. Don't waste your time being angry at those who did this to me and my daughter. We are more than conquerors. Pray for us as we continue to fight the good fight of faith.
Speaker 3: When we say that democracy is built on the backs of black people, particularly black women, Ruby Freeman is the type of black women who has led the charge historically and for many centuries, preserving a democracy that many times did not even support or look out for. Her and Rudolph William Louis Giuliani is the poster child of what it looks like when white supremacy intersects with democracy and believes that democracy is only for the few. That is fascism, if nothing else. This man tried to file for bankruptcy the day after the judgment, the defamation suit judgment, where he would have had to fork over the cash to pay these women for the lies that he told about them, for the death threats they then faced, and for ruining their reputations and their ability to further uphold elections and the processes that they have spent their lives protecting for us.
Speaker 5: That's all I got to say about.
Speaker 4: Well, black women are disproportionately lesson workers in Georgia, so Missus Freeman and Missus Freeman mass This wasn't the clip that we played, but there she was defiant. There, you know she had seen some level of justice. But I just want to remind people that on during the January sixth hearing where she actually testified, she was broken. I mean, she was tearful as she recounted what she had gone through. And she's known as Lady Ruby, and she asked, do you know what it's like to have the president of the United States and his kind make you a target of them. You Also, we didn't hear from Shae Mass, her daughter, but Shae Moss was saying, I'm my mother's only child. I have a child, my grandmother's only grandchild. And they talked about not being able to leave and people confronting them. Shay Moss phone kept bringing over and over and over and over because he was thocks they couldn't go out together like they were the recipients of all types of threats. So I'm happy to see her like upbeat and getting something. But I have to say I remember watching their testimony in real time. I mean it was gripping. It was gripping to see these two black women face a congressional hearing and detail for the United States government what they had gone through. And they both cried through their testimony. That is the result of fascism, That is the result of violence. And those are the people for everyone who was conflicted about how I don't believe y'all really exists. But if there are people out there who still trying to decide between Trump and Vice President, here is he empowered people to displace these two black women who are bigger patriots than you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know Tiffany overcoming and coming through trauma. One day can be those teary I can't put a word or a sentence together, and the next day can be I can do this. This is strength. Thank you Lord for you know, bathing me in the good sense and my health and my strength. And then the next day fall right back into that place when you think about the neighborhood you can no longer live in, or the alias name that you go by because you're terrified if they hear your real name, what might meet you on the other side of those words. She was scared to order food, that's right.
Speaker 4: She couldn't because she didn't want to give her name. He couldn't even order food.
Speaker 1: So that and they will live with that, as she said, no matter the amount of money they get, that that's staying they'll live with forever. Why because alternative facts have convinced the whole half of the country to a narrative that they'll never disbelieve. And they'll always look at these women as as as to who got something undeserving, something they didn't deserve for being black. Probably that's what they trumpet up in their minds. To be. But this is another reason why I don't think we can. We can. You don't give power, You don't give more power to peep to a person like Donald Trump and Juliani. Who who does with power what they did to these two women and and countless others who we can't name, right, and I loved, In fact, I love to see the Central Park five file suit uh recently against Donald Trump.
Speaker 3: Sorry, not that that's the same thing, but they did too on the the cease and desist for Yeah, have the right to use somebody's words and twist them? How do you feel like you have the right to say that somebody cheated when they didn't on an election? How do you feel like you have the right to accuse these young people who have been exonerated of rape and you still out here like what is wrong with you?
Speaker 4: I have to tell you, Angela, that ad is playing in Atlanta on repeat to back to back to back, and it's clear who they're targeting. I've only read it. I didn't go back and watch. How were his words taken out of context? So I've only read it and in the context, you only read the quote, But what exactly was he saying?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think, well, I know that he's what he said repeatedly is the point was that he was watching the ad and he knew that it was like her words were taken out of context. This was Leonard and Enby talking. They knew that her words were taken out of context. And they were talking about how they were doing something else and listening and were like, I want my to Experimentney going to that. Like they were saying how effective the ad was and problematic, like because they heard another one and now they're using that splice. They spliced the original ad with them responding to the ad, if that makes sense.
Speaker 4: But Vice President here, so this is just so people may not seeing that. But Vice President here was saying that she supported gender affirming care. And I think it wasn't they the way they cut it. I think they were talking about prisons, but I think she was referencing people in ice detention. I'm not being exact at I don't I don't have to vange that, but it was it was something to that extent, And so Charlemagne and dj Envy were saying, if that is the case, they did not want their No, that they didn't They.
Speaker 3: Were saying that they knew that in that moment that they had cut a small portion of her answer in an interview and it was taken out of context. But because like you're focused on football, they're like, oh my god, I heard this, and I'm like, that's it's effective. That's all they were saying, Like.
Speaker 4: It was affected.
Speaker 3: But they made it seem like, you know when you're like, I don't want to do that, like you're saying how you initially responded, but they're saying that that was lifted out of context because this is this wasn't even the point. They're like, they're doing a great job at targeting us because that almost worked on me.
Speaker 4: But that so I think we got to have a conversation about this at some point because that can't be the thing that's effective. And you know, it's like the trans community and this is it is ubiquitous here, like even in Issmosis walking down the street, like people have so much to say about it, and I don't know the statistics off the top of my head, but it is for sure less than three percent of society. Gender affirming care is not something that impacts all of these people, and they are making it their central ad and I just I wish that that was not an effective ad. I wish people could just look at that and say, who gives a shit? Like I'm worried about my mortgage, I'm worried about my tastes.
Speaker 5: I'm worried about because there are people.
Speaker 4: No, I want to hear what you have to say. I want to hear what you have to say, but I'm making the point like that it should not be effective, Like that can't be the effective ad. Even if you're saying this is a big deal, we're essentially saying, well, yeah, if that was what she was saying, then yes, I would be mad that my tax dollars were going to pay for gender care. And I'm saying that, right, there is an issue, But do you know all the things that your tax dollars that And I think that that's the point, Like there are a ton of people who are frustrated about AID going to Ukraine, AID going to Israel, AID going to all these places when they're hurting, and so I think it's literally harping on a place like you guys know, you don't have the resources you.
Speaker 3: Once had, in part thanks to Donald Trump's tax credits. Right, that did not help you, but there are all these things that are benefiting United States taxpayer dollars, and this is another one, and you're like, but when is it going to benefit me? So they're playing that up and they use familiar faces in our community to justify that ad. But I think that there is a larger conversation to be held about where our taxpaer dollars are going, how they're being spent, and to ensure that the same thing, just like power should not be from a scarcity model, neither should our taxpayer dollars. We should be ensuring that Medicaid is not on the chopping block, that Medicare is not on the chopping block, that insulent Donald Trump comes back in office is not going skyrocket back up. There are a bunch of things that we need to be talking through, but the main thing that we need to understand is there's only one candidate in the race to ensure that your taxpayer dollars are treated with respect and that you are not hurting and in harm's way, And it wasn't just a STEMI check that ensured that you were not in harms way. That is the larger conversation. They took one moment, though something where people are saying, I don't know if I want my taxpayer dollars to go to that, especially because the full thing was not It wasn't And even man, I'm gonna be honest with you, there are a lot of folks, church folks, you know, folks in between. You don't understand. There are people's children who don't understand and don't want to support that.
Speaker 5: That is a really.
Speaker 3: Tough position to put people in when they don't see their taxpayer dollars even fully funding SNAP benefits.
Speaker 4: Right, But that I guess that's my issue, Angela, because it's like they aren't the ad they running are not talking about tax dollars going to Ukraine. They're running are not talking about tax dollars going to anything but gender. They decided that's the thing that we can tap into black men about and if there are black women, know they are black men, if they are black people there No, I'm talking about this specific ads, not just turn black men is. Let me just let me. I'm saying their intention, whoever is benefitting from it, their intention with all that's fine, I'm looking at the imagery on and where these ads are being run by night. Yes, yes they don't because there's no place where only black people are tuning in. But that ad for sure is meant to target black men being men men men. Well, they've used black imagery. They have him Trump surrounded by black men in the stills they use, and it is all over Atlanta. It's not all over DC. It wasn't all over Detroit, but it's definitely all over It's absolutely I didn't see Detroit like that's what I'm saying, Well, that's what I think. That's a national but I'm saying in Atlanta like billboards everywhere. But either way, that's I guess beside the point. I think the issue I'm saying is that cannot be the issue that gets us. It's like we're saying, you know, well, we're going to shoot on this group of people because we don't like that or we don't understand it, or next is going to be the migrants.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 4: That's the the discussion I think we need to have, and I don't. I don't know how to have it because I you know, I have it privately with people who I've heard say things. My Glam team was saying something about the lgbt CO community, but it was focused on trans people, and I don't I don't know, guys. I just think it's that that can't be the thing that we let divide us. And it's not even a large enough statistic that it is impacting, like our tax dollars, all the things we pay for it. That's not even a big thing. And they've buying you.
Speaker 1: Correct. Yeah, But I think I think this campaign is being run on two totally different planes. I think Kamala Harris's effort is in large part appealing to the logic, logic, the intellect, in the respect of the voters that they care about these issues that they say they care about the economy, expanding opportunity, making sure that women have access to health and their own reproductive choice decisions. And then you've got Donald Trump here running an ad that is strictly about grievance and emotion. And I think this is in some ways a battle between what is the aspirational where we want to go as a country, and the other is completely an assault on culture, appealing to the emotions in the fears of people, stoking that grievance and stoking that fear. And I think the election results are pretty much going to be a contest between whether or not we're voting our future and aspiration or we're voting our fears, our in our other rising or other rhythms. And the truth is is that both have been effective in elections over the course of over the course of our lives. Of our lives, they've both been effective. And so this is going to me, that's the context.
Speaker 4: Say it again, is one more effective than the other in your opinion?
Speaker 1: I mean, I love when I feel hopeful and as you know, and aspired to, but I also know I lose sleep over things that cause me to be afraid or concerned, particularly when it comes to my children or my family.
Speaker 4: And that's what they've always is one more effective for you?
Speaker 3: And yeah, I think that it's not about what works for me or works what works on me, because I come at this with a little bit of a bias and my point of privileges that I've worked in this this is the only thing that I have worked in right other than TV. And so what I can say is that it has been extraordinarily effective since the beginning of time. Fear works. Terrorizing people works, It gets you, It forces people into doing the thing that they are not there they're reluctantly doing. And so, yeah, I mean, fear sadly has been a part of our political discourse, from Bill Clinton's sister Souldia moment to Willie Horton.
Speaker 5: To you know, Donald Trump. I mean that was a fraidiance that Ronald Reagan's war on drugs.
Speaker 4: You know, the welfare black welfare queen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, crime, crime is overriding our communities. People are saying that they're being impacted by crime, but crime rates are going down, but they still feel like they're seeing more car jackings and robbing and all of those things.
Speaker 5: Like so it's.
Speaker 1: Reagan also had an aspirational sense too, Okay, to your point, right, it was make America regagain. But like we're the city upon a hill, you know, we're the thing to be the light, the shining beacon of the world. Let's get back to that. Obama, Kennedy good examples of aspirations. We can turn the page, we can have hope, we can we can be better.
Speaker 5: I'm not saying that it has they communicate our.
Speaker 4: Both, No, nobody's discreeing with you, Angel I think Andrew's making a plan and I'm like, yes, that is a good through line. Because they were aspirational and they didn't call them the Great Communicator for nothing, and that man won forty nine states with that. So I think you're just talking about what's effective and what's not.
Speaker 1: I think they both are affected, and I do think it matters the mood that people are in. If you're angry, you're mad about the price of this and and Donald Trump has told you who to blame.
Speaker 5: For that's it.
Speaker 1: You're walking in there.
Speaker 4: One way and me, can I ask you a quick question. The u a w President came out this week and said that, let's be honest, we know a lot of our members are going to vote for Trump. The Democrats need to learn how to better frame messaging to the working class. I surmise that the white was silent and yeah, but do you all think that that Democrats do have to improve their messaging, especially if y'all are saying fear works, Like do Democrats need to be talking about policy or is there a fear on the other side to say you are taking us to a fascist government? Like how can they harness this messaging strategy if it makes any difference at all? So they're based.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's disingenuous to say that Democrats are not trying to also harp on fear. And by the way, harping on fear doesn't mean they're not legitimate fears, right, It just means they were pointing them out. The focus on Project twenty twenty five is a fear based tactic. The focus on Donald Trump as a fascist is a tear is a fear based tactic. The focus on him having control over all the courts and every level of government is a fear based tactic. The focus on January sixth is a fear based tactic. It doesn't mean that those things are not real, but they are harping on our greatest fears. On Donald Trump's side, focusing on migrants taking over the country is a fear based tactic. I also think it's false. Focusing on the inability to have a fear election and they're sure therefore we should never have another election is a fear based tactic. Also, nets, let me stop doing this because I'm gonna keep pointing out all the reasons why he lies.
Speaker 4: We could go on for.
Speaker 1: And guess what. But the test is is that I do believe the test is where they close what do they want people to have on their minds as they are going to vote, and you are well. I think all of us would say, probably without debate, that Donald Trump has made his bed in the fear column, that he is betting on the other rising of Americans and your fear of what you don't have, and that person is to blame for it, as as the decision factor for you, And I think for Kamala it's probably gonna be a little bit of both. I think she's going to be reminding women about what they have at Steak. I think she's going to be reminding those of us who are believers in democracy what we have at Steak. But I also think she's saying, we can put an end to this mess. We can turn the page right now to the kind of future that you and I and our children and our children show children want to walk into you. And we'll see which is more effective at the end of the day. I have a belief, but we'll see.
Speaker 4: Can we invoke some fear right now? These are your bites, Andrew, but I want to play them.
Speaker 5: I want to.
Speaker 4: I know rap, but I've said the show, but this could be the way we close the show. As far as I'm well, this won't be the way we close the show. I want you all to hear this is fear base, but it is a reasonable rational fear. Can we please play the two sound bites from Donald Trump from this week alone.
Speaker 12: Under no circumstances you are promising America tonight.
Speaker 7: You would never abuse power as retribution against anybody.
Speaker 12: Except for day one, except he's going to christ except for day one.
Speaker 1: Meaning I want to close the border and I want to drill. That's not that's real, that's not that's not retribution. I'm going to be I'm gonna you know, I love this guy. He says, you're not going to be a dictator, are you?
Speaker 12: I said no, no, No other than day one, we're closing the border and we're drilling, drilling, drilling.
Speaker 1: After that, I'm not a dating Okay. That sounds to me like you're going back to Trump knew exactly what he was saying, the violence and the retribution. He skipped over it and talked policy. But he knows exactly what was being.
Speaker 4: Because we don't know that except for day one. Can encompass a lot of things. But let's take another look. Because the interesting thing and I don't to be fair, I don't know if that was from this week, but for for sure recent history this month, Sureles made another exactly, he made other comments, and the entire GOP came out and saying, oh, he didn't mean it, he didn't mean it. He didn't mean it. I want you all to hear in his own words, who he considers an enemy. Take a listen.
Speaker 12: That's an enemy from within. That's really that is a threat to democracy. These are bad people. We have a lot of bad people. But when you look at Shifty Shift and some of the others, U, yeah, they are to me, the enemy from with it. I think Nancy Pelosi is an enemy from within.
Speaker 4: Well, he goes on to say, he goes on to name Adam Schiff and other people.
Speaker 1: He also goes on to say he would use the military.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: We also point out this is after Nancy Pelosi's husband was damn near beat to death in her home. Like, this is insane. This man, he's targeting our friends. He's targeted literally recently targeted one of our friends. After after after Sonny asked a question of Kamala Harris on the View, he went after Sonny, he went after WHOOPI Goldberg like, I.
Speaker 4: Mean, this man went after Joy, went after Yeah, you.
Speaker 5: Know that was right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we have to stop excusing and letting Republicans get away with excuses shaping. I know we're not but but but but I mean, I mean the media. It's not just the media. I'm talking about the royal we of all of us, which is he doesn't really mean it. He doesn't really mean it. It may not apply to anybody on this podcast. I may I apply to you listening in your own car, but it applies by and large to the royal we who keep thinking that there's a check on him, that he can't do what he wants to do. And by the way, he doesn't want to do what he said he wants to do. Anyway, y'all are just exaggerating that. Excuse time out for it. The man is telling us, in plain sight exactly what he wants to do, and I believe them. And that's exactly why don't I don't believe you get another shot at.
Speaker 3: The We didn't play the clip of him talking about what would happen with funding from the Department of Education for schools that taught that this country was built at the hands of slaves and that it was on stolen land.
Speaker 5: He said that he would defund those schools. I think it's important for us to note that as well.
Speaker 3: That is fascism. To end with the show in the show there, that is the point. Can we end on a happy night?
Speaker 4: And can we talk about the show?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Are we going to do a mini pod and then we need to talk about the show.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's get hope and change and many pride?
Speaker 4: Really do y'all want to talk about hope and change on the mini bus?
Speaker 1: We could talk about well, we could.
Speaker 4: Want to talk about I don't know, Angela, what you got? Okay, Well we don't know what we're going to talk about, So stay tuned, pod tune into the mini pot. Can I tell you the mini pody?
Speaker 3: I tell you that's something I'm taking a point of personal privilege for my birthday weekend coming up. My birthday wish. My birthday wish is that you all will join us in the atl shout it because we will be live from the gathering spot on October twenty fifth. It is spell House homecoming weekend, and there's no better place to be than in a town hall conversation with.
Speaker 5: Native lamp pot where you are always welcome home.
Speaker 3: We are so close to this selection. We want to ensure we are hearing your thoughts. We want to hear the good, the bad, the ugly, then different. We could hear hope and change, We could hear fear and wrath. We want to hear all the things from you all at the gathering spot this Friday at one thirty pm Eastern in Atlanta, atl Shardy Aten Town.
Speaker 4: I got people text and me during this whole podcast. People were texting me how can I get tickets to come see you off Friday?
Speaker 5: Tell them to go to native lad dot com and sign up.
Speaker 4: Okay, go to Native Land before.
Speaker 1: We close, guys, any reflections on Detroit one for me? Thank you, thank you, Thank you who came out and sat down.
Speaker 4: Anybody else, I thank you. It was a good show. I am a little annoyed because Angela stole my cta, but yes, my cta was gonna be. Angela's birthday is Saturday. Everybody joined me and whizzing her happy birthday. She keeps saying, the only things you want for her birthday is to win the election and to do got Andrew.
Speaker 1: We will, obviously we can do better than just winning the election. For your birth you know.
Speaker 4: We're gonna make it decide you guys.
Speaker 5: Ever, I don't know. Maybe we talk about this on the pot, but I'm like actually annoyed.
Speaker 3: I don't want anything else I can when I tell you, I can't think of anything else. I want to knock on doors with my friends. I want to do phone banking. If we go out to eat for snacks, I wanted to talk to people in the restaurant like. I don't know if like as gloom and doom as I was like outside of seat he today, I don't know if I am feeling like I.
Speaker 5: Really believe we can convince stuff.
Speaker 3: I believe we can convince some people to change their minds if they haven't turned into dog off ballats yet. So I watch y'all to come see us, even if you disagree. I want you to come see us on Friday at the Gathering Spot. So my birthday wish from the audience is come see us at the Gathering Spot on ten twenty five. My shout out is to one of our listeners who says she's a big fan from New Jersey and she came to Detroit to see the show, and she was so glad she did.
Speaker 5: So we're so glad we got to beat you. Sis.
Speaker 3: Forgive me for not knowing your name right now, but I'm gonna look it up and shout you out next week as well. So we are so grateful.
Speaker 4: That was my favorite part.
Speaker 5: You're so grateful.
Speaker 4: That was my favorite part. We had a meet and greet before if y'all saw our live, we were talking about that after the show wrapped. Angel you had to run because you were running to a flight, guys, and then Isla popped up in a wardrobe, say she left, and then little Pink too, you want to.
Speaker 5: Be closing a plane.
Speaker 4: I thought you left and I didn't know that you just went to that. I thought you left and went back to the hotel and everything. That makes a lot more sense. I was like, where did she go and get back that past? Okay, that makes sense. But I loved being able to come face to face with people, to hear what people like, and you know, just meeting our listeners because we feel like we know y'all from y'all comments and your questions, and we invite that. I kept telling everybody put it on video and send it to us. But that was honestly my favorite part. So if y'all come to the gathering spot on Friday, like we're not untouchable, you know, like we will mingo, we'll chat with you guys. We'll here, we'll take your questions, and hopefully we'll have time in the show. I don't know, I haven't seen the run down, but hopefully we'll have time in the show to have some interactive you know, we live with.
Speaker 3: You guys, dude with black Men. I feel like was honestly, you guys. I hate to be biased, but I think Detroit was my favorite podcast ever. It was it felt it felt like it felt like we centered what we wanted to discuss and voices. It wasn't about somebody with the platform. To me, it really was about hearing different perspectives and being engaged in a conversation.
Speaker 5: It felt very It felt like welcome home.
Speaker 3: It felt like a home kitchen table conversation, and I really really enjoyed that. So thank y'all so much for what you did to facilitate this amazing space every week, TIF and Andrew.
Speaker 4: It's no this the Detroit, but my favorite, to be honest was Kim's Kim Black Oh that was Mia one too, Yes, because it was interactive. We didn't have guests like we just they could hear us talk and they could talk with us. And everybody in that room had such wisdom to lay out and had such deep interpersonal thoughts and political strategy. Y'll take a like delivered a sermage. You know, I just remember every comment. I'm like, man, we could. I wanted to cut that entire episode for social media because, like all of it was so amazing, and I like it when it's less guests. I know the viewers like to have guests, but I like to have audience interacts, you know. I like to hear from our viewers, and I think our viewers want to hear what we have to say. And I like when they can stand up and say, I don't know, Taveny, I disagree with that, or like, I don't know Angela, I might have a different thought, or like I love They always said we love you Andrew, we voted for you, Andrew.
Speaker 5: I love a g I love all the episodes, interested none of them are my favorite. He got three kids.
Speaker 1: They know they've all been different. Each of them have all been different and have offered something I think very special and unique to the listeners to be able to walk away from because they certainly offered something different to me, but all of them different and I love that part of it.
Speaker 5: Well, can I just shout out one more thing?
Speaker 3: We had April Variton, who is the first black woman president of s c IU ever. She joined us on Saturday and to trade as well. Like even being six, she was like, I'm knocking doors, I'm come talk to y'all. I'm gonna figure this out. That is a no limit soldier right there. So April, we see you. We're very grateful for your partnership for you, yes, and we got your back for show.
Speaker 1: So yes, that's real. We should all be pulling her because when they win, we all win. Yeah, come on, get it done. But before we end the show, y'all, I want to remind everyone to please leave us a review and subscribe to Native lamppod. As you know we always say, We're available on all platforms, YouTube and obviously all the places you get your your pods. New episodes drop every Thursday. You can also follow us some social media. We are Angelo Ride, Tiffany Cross, and Andrew Gilliam. Welcome home, everybody. We've got just twelve right twelve until election.
Speaker 2: Thank you for joining the Natives intention of what the info and all of the latest Rock Gillam and cross connected to the statement that you leave on our socials. Thank you sincerely for the pass reason for your choices cleared.
Speaker 1: So grateful to the execute.
Speaker 2: Roles for serve, defend and protect the truth even in PA. For welcome home to all of the Natives wait.
Speaker 9: Thank you, welcomesso.
Speaker 1: Native Lampard is a production of iHeart Radio in partnership with Reason Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.