Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Saber Protection of iHeartRadio. I'm any Reo and.
Speaker 2: I'm Lauren Bolblabaum, and today we have an episode of listener Mail for you.
Speaker 1: Yes, you know we love these. Yes, Oh, y'all are so delightful you are, and we love that you take the time to write in and you share these stories with us, and we love how you interact with each other after hearing from each other. It's the best. It's wonderful. It's been a minute since we've done one of these. And I counted on you, Lauren, because I was just like, I don't know what number. This is, no idea.
Speaker 2: I did have to look it up. This is number twenty two, just my favorite numbers.
Speaker 1: Oh it is okay, great, cool, Yes, but yeah, thanks as always to everyone for writing in. We've got some really good ones today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, some real meaty ones. Yeah. Truly truly a spot of joy in a really heck and weird world that we're living in right now. So so thank you all so much. But yeah, you want to dive in, yes, I will start.
Speaker 1: And I do have to say I have loved how many people have written about pasta Sality, especially after Lauren's pretty Uh. I won't to say not intense, but just like.
Speaker 2: Slightly slightly harsh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know that's okay. Yeah, but that didn't stop you all?
Speaker 2: No as well?
Speaker 1: It should shunt. Yeah, no, it shouldn't. So we've got some pasta sality emails here. Kelsey wrote, when Savor's latest episodes started in my cueue this afternoon, I was prepping supper, specifically pasta salad. I had not glanced at the title or synopsis before listening. It was very fun listening to you talk about pasta salad while I made some. When I make pasta salad, it is usually because it is hot out and I am trying to avoid cooking late in the day. It is always a what have I got and how can I use it?
Speaker 2: For centure.
Speaker 1: Occasionally I crave a lemony garlicky feta and olive strewn taboule, but no one else in my house really wants that, so it's just for me. Tonight's pasta salad is fusilli with grated parmesan dice, tomato dice, bell pepper, corn, and chopped pickled chilis. The dressing is salsa, canola oil and a bit of mayo, a squirt of ketchup with cumin, coriander, paprika, and regano all run through the food processor to smooth and emulsify. It'll be served alongside grilled Smoky's and a green salad. I have to say all of your sometimes I'm so envious of your dinner situations listeners when I hear what you do and how you have these go to recipes. My mom, she was a big to boulet. Oh she loved it, but similarly, my brothers and dad didn't really like it, so it was just for her also. But yeah, I mean that sounds that sounds delightful. That sounds like the tabulet one sounds like exactly what I would like to eat. That other one if you left out the pasta, I would be great with it. But uh, yeah, it's just a personal thing that I'm going to have to continue working through, you know or not?
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, lean in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But I also appreciate like it's a like a summertime. It's a fun time. I can make this. I have to say, this is something I have to work through. If I see like I have to put something in a food processor.
Speaker 2: Oh oh man, we need to get you like one of those little immersion blenders.
Speaker 1: That you just have.
Speaker 2: Oh it's so easy, Annie, I know.
Speaker 1: E'sye. I know, I need to work through it. Okay, we both have things. Maybe we'll think about more.
Speaker 2: There you go. There, that's always always room for self consideration. Sure, yes, uh, Cale wrote, Hi Annie and Lauren, your recent episode on You Guessed It? Pasta Salad had me considering whether or not it is a dish I actually enjoy. I loved the butt when you say how it's never really the main event, but more of a side option at potlucks and barbecues. This is eventually what I decided as well, and ultimately it's a side I most often try to avoid due to my sensory issues with certain food textures. Lo and behold. A few days later, my partner lovingly made pasta salad as a main dish for dinner. I took this as a sign from the universe that maybe it was time for me to give it another chance, especially because the dish was a childhood favorite of my partners, as her mother would make it on hot days because of its simplicity and well general coldness. The verdict, I can now say I am a big fan of my partner's pasta salad. It is still up for debate whether I enjoy all pasta salads or just this one. But I do think any dish made with love is a dish worth trying, regardless of past experiences. While my partner's mom passed away some years ago and I never had the pleasure of meeting her, I feel so lucky I get to meet her in all the wonderful qualities and traditions my partner shares with me. Thanks so much for continuing to be a bright spot in my week and for allowing me the opportunity to cry about pasta salad. Oh always, absolutely, we support crying about food. Oh but yeah, that is so lovely. That's really cool.
Speaker 1: That is that is and there is something special about someone sharing something that is important to them, that has this history, maybe to their family or something. And so there's something about that that I do think adds an extra like, okay, I can taste how much you love this? Almost?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah? And of course any personal dietary restrictions notwithstanding. You know, if if someone makes a dish with love, you know, even if you're even if you think you might not like it. Try it, Try it, you might be so pleasantly surprised. Yeah, yeah, when you can. When it's when it's safe too, you know, yeah, have fun out there.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, don't make yourself miserable. But no, Generally, when people make something, I think they want to share it, and they're happy to share it, and so if you're open to it, I say, go for it.
Speaker 2: Absolutely no.
Speaker 1: Bass the salad. Okay, Now we have a note from Ric about a couple different things. Ark wrote, Dorito's are an interesting snack. I can't recall anyone coming close to making a similar slash clone of the chip. They are a chip I enjoy, but it is also a chip that I need to be in the mood for. They do hit the spot when in the mood. If I'm going to have a walking taco, I will take Dorito's over Frito's. While Frito's are the original, I think Dorito's make a better walking taco. I've also used them in a taco salad instead of regular tortilla chips to give a bit of a twist. They do have a variety of flavors, but there is something about the original nacho and cool ranch flavors. I've tried a couple of different flavors over the years, but nothing really struck me. If I go overseas at some point again, I'll have to look and see what is there and even compare their base nacho to what we have here. Oo Oh, pasta salad. I know you are definitely going to hear a lot of strong video here. While I don't mind pasta salad, I think there are very few that are done really well to the point that I want to have more. During the summer or at potluck type gatherings, I'll grab a small bite to try. I think a large majority fall into the It's fine, but nothing really special or memorable going on. The dressing really makes a difference on it. I generally encountered it either being overdressed or underdressed, and when overdressed it seems like it will be an oil bomb or a Mayo bomb. Yes, with the dressing, I think an oil based one works better for the most part. While I like a good Mayo for the most part, I think mayo and pasta don't really go together. Well. Maybe someone can change her mind, but I haven't found one I liked yet. Seems like it is more common with elbow macaroni for some reason, and oil and vinegar with the appropriate herbs works better. As Lauren mentioned, she might like an orizo based pasta salad more. Those are generally simpler and not overdone. Just cook up some orizo ads, some good chopped olives, dice cucumber, some sliced cherry or grape tomatoes, a little finely diced red onion or shallot, and a little asiago. Then at a dressing of your choice, a simple herb red wine vinaigrette would go well. I don't have a recipe handy, but I do remember having one like this that was definitely one of the better ones. Also a wild thought, maybe if we take a sosa pasta salad add some doritos to it. Finally, I can't remember if you've done an episode on lentils. I've been cooking with them a lot more recently. They are so versatile.
Speaker 2: We we have a November of twenty twenty two, the sentimental lentil episode. Yes, classic title. Hats off to Annie for those titles all the time.
Speaker 1: I have to say, I'm loving this sort of Madman esque. Let's just add doritos to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it does. Why let's go Yeah, walking taco withas I do think that sounds really good. That sounds slightly overwhelming to me, Like Dorito's are already kind of like a heightened flavor experience, and so I'm like, would I be able to handle a walking taco dorito situation?
Speaker 1: Only one way to find.
Speaker 2: Out, right, And yeah, like why not put some cool ranch Dorito's into your nice orzo pasta salad? I don't see where we could possibly go wrong?
Speaker 1: No, I mean at least the experiment will give more knowledge, more data, and you can go from there.
Speaker 2: Which is always worth having.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is, And I really hope more listeners continue to write in about pasta salads and perhaps experiments with Dorito's. I think that would be great. Love that.
Speaker 2: I love that other people have strong opinions about this. That's I mean, I shouldn't be surprised. We have strong opinions about just about every.
Speaker 1: Food out there. But yeah, here we are. Yes, it's fantastic.
Speaker 2: Well, we do have a bunch more listener mail for you, but first we've got a quick break for award from our sponsor and we're back. Thank you sponsored, Yes, thank you, and uh Okay, Nova wrote first, let me thank you for doing an episode on cultured meats. I was very sad to hear that bistro and vitro was never a real thing. I'll have to wait a bit longer to sample some lab meat, though apparently not in my home state of Florida. To make it more relevant, I've been waiting for a Saber Classics episode to come up on chocolate chip cookies to write you this email, but decided to throw caution into the wind and send it anyways. Based on your cultural references, I deduce that both of you are in my age group or thereabouts, so you probably remember the days of the chain email. You may have even seen this one come through your inbox at some point in time, because it's been around for a long time. I received it in two thousand and nine. It was possibly a chain letter even before or email was commonly used. I always had my doubts as to its authenticity, but either way, I have made these cookies several times and they are yummy. Indeed, it's a bit long winded, so feel free to paraphrase Okay and then Nova pastes in this chain email. That is a thing that exists, so okay, let's go into it a little background. Nieman Marcus, if you don't know already, is a very expensive store. They sell your typical eight dollars shirt for fifty dollars. Let's let them have it. This is a true story. Good mark of any actual true story on the internet.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: My daughter and I had just finished a salad at Anemen Marcus cafe in Dallas, and we decided to have a small dessert. Because both of us are such cookie lovers, we decided to try the Nemen Marcus cookie. It was so excellent that I asked if they would give me the recipe, and the waitress said, with a small frown, I'm afraid not, but you can buy the recipe.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: I asked how much, and she responded, only two fifty it's a great deal. I agreed to that and told her to just add it to my tab. Thirty days later, I received my visa statement and the Nieman Marcus charge was two hundred and eighty five dollars. I looked again and I remembered I had only spent like nine to ninety five for two salads and about twenty dollars for a scarf. As I glanced at the bottom of the statement, it said cookie recipe two hundred and fifty dollars. This was outrageous. I called Neeman's accounting department and told them the waitress said it was two fifty, which clearly does not mean two hundred and fifty dollars by any reasonable interpretation. Nieman Marcus refused to budge. They wouldn't refund my money because, according to them, what the waitress told you is not our problem. You've already seen the recipe. We absolutely will not refund your money. I explained the accounting department lady the criminal statutes that governed fraud in the state of Texas. I threatened to report them to the Better Business Bureau and the Texas Attorney General's Office for engaging in fraud. And I was basically told, do what you want, don't bother thinking of how you can get even, and don't bother trying to get any of your money back. I just said, okay, you folks got my two hundred and fifty bucks, and now I'm going to have two hundred and fifty dollars worth of fun. I told her that I was going to see to it that every cookie lover in the United States with an email account has a two hundred and fifty dollars cookie recipe from Nieman Marcus for free. She replied, I wish you wouldn't do this, and I said, well, perhaps you should have thought of that before you ripped me off and slammed down the phone. So here it is. Please, please, please pass it on to everyone you can possibly think of. I paid two hundred and fifty bucks for this, and I don't want Nimon Marcus to ever make another penny off of this recipe. And then the recipe follows, I'm not going to read it out right now, but you can absolutely Google. You can email as or Google if you want the purported recipe. Nova finishes the email. If you are planning a new cookie esque episode, may I suggest Stroopwaffle. Growing up, we would visit my family in the Netherlands every few years, and these guys were a special treat for us. But more recently they have been popping up at restaurants all over the US. Okay, several things. First of all, yes, for some reason, I was just thinking about streep Waffles the other day and how we have not we've been remiss and not talking about them.
Speaker 1: Indeed very important. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Second of all, you're correct about us being of an age. I'm like a couple years older than Annie, but certainly I remember chain emails and physical chain letters. I even remember the Ya horror books by Christopher Pike from the late eighties or early nineties called Chainletter and Chainletter too, the Ancient Evil. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it'd be like, if you don't send this to ten people, that's the end.
Speaker 2: For you, right, yeah, yeah, And this one functions on like a slightly. It's not a threat to you, but like you're sticking it to the man if you continued the email, which which is a great way to motivate people to send along an email. That is an urban myth. It has indeed been debunked. One weird detail that proliferates within the myth is that the writer found the charge on her visa statement, but Nieman Marcus only accepted American Express until nineteen ninety nine, which is years after the story began circulating. This is one of our points of evidence. I had to look into this, so okay, Niam and Marcus maintains that they have never charged customers for recipes. Furthermore, they didn't even have a company recipe for chocolate chip cookies in the mid nineties, but apparently people believed this story and were writing into them, like absolutely incensed, to the point that by nineteen ninety seven they were so fed up with this rumor that they had their executive chef create a chocolate chip cookie recipe and they posted it online for free, with like explicit notice that anyone was free to distribute or print it as they wished.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, this.
Speaker 2: Was in nineteen ninety seven. You can still find that recipe on their website. It is different than the one in the chain letter. The chain letter version uses powdered oatmeal and like a grated chocolate bar. The company version uses instant espresso. They both sound pretty good anyway. As of twenty sixteen, which is when Facebook had an iteration of this tale circulating, Nieman Marcus's VP of communications told Eater that she had not received an angry email about the whole thing in six or seven years, and you know, good for her. Wow, not done yet. So this is not the first urban myth about a customer being like sneakily overcharged for a recipe by some kind of uppity retailer and then taking revenge by distributing said recipe. Snopes found iterations of this going back to nineteen forty eight, when this cookbook titled Massachusetts Cooking Rules Old and New printed a recipe called twenty five dollars fudge Cake along with this story about a woman who enjoyed a slice of cake on a train, asking the chef for the recipe, and being billed twenty five dollars for it, which at the time was a lot more outrageous. In the nineteen sixties, the villain was the Waldorf Astoria Hotel and it was a three hundred and fifty dollars red velvet cake recipe. In the seventies, it was Missus Fields and a two hundred and fifty dollars chocolate chip cookie recipe. Some versions of that story shifted the blame to Marshall Fields the department store, and Snopes thinks that that is probably where it to Nieman Marcus the department store.
Speaker 1: Fascinating. That is so interesting to me.
Speaker 2: It's really wonderful in a kind of sick way.
Speaker 1: Wow, because I feel like every chain letter I got what the end wanted, some action from you. This one I guess spreading this recipe. Yeah, but if it's not really their recipe, I don't know that's interesting to me.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's a part in my use of an industry phrase. But it's a great way to go viral.
Speaker 1: I guess they clearly did. I can't believe that me and Marcus is still like, please.
Speaker 2: Leave us alone about the heck and cookies.
Speaker 1: The recipe is all for free.
Speaker 2: We didn't even have one, but we made one for you. Please leave us alone. Wow, this poor VP of Communications, this woman who made it up through the chain of command at name and Marcus and has been plagued by accusations oh god decades.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wow, whole thing. So thank you for sharing that.
Speaker 1: Yes, thank you for putting that on our radar.
Speaker 2: We got to look into it. How wonderful.
Speaker 1: Wow. I had no idea. That's now I want to I want to go in all further deep dive.
Speaker 2: Right like urban legends about I'm sure that others are out there now now, I'm like, these can't be the only ones.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, well listeners right in if you've got any more, Yeah, okay, but in the meantime, do you have more listener mail? For you. Yeah, Janet wrote one of your episodes, asked to send you my interesting cooking projects. I feel like many concepts and food differ only by tradition. For example, every culture has a version of things like bread, fried dough, and dumplings. To test how different or similar food concepts are, I like to make hybrid monstrosities a midway point in between two disparate food ideas. This one is Lamington pizza. I took the idea of a baked dough circle topped in cheese, sauce, various herbs, especially basil and other vegetables or meats. I combined it with the idea of a square of sponge cake dipped in chocolate sauce and coated in desiccated coconut or sometimes other nuts, oftenandwich with cream and jam. This resulted in me making a marscapone and sliced pineapple jam filled square bakedo dipped in tomato, chili and chocolate sauce and covered in sliced roast almonds and fresh basil. Thus it is a completely new abomination because the pineapple is inside the pizza. It was generously filled, so it was a rich dessert. Both soft and crunchy, with the brightness of the basil counterpointing the sweet sour of the jam, the richness of the marscapone, and bitter umame of the chocolate sauce. It was so much better than it had any right to me. If I made it again, I would definitely coat it in desiccated coconut to pair with the pineapple. Please find picture attached and picture wells attached.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would absolutely try that. It does look slightly like an abomination. It looks a little aggressive. That's a good word for it. Yeah, threatening, Aura, Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's a little menacing. But I adore that you're doing these.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like, why not?
Speaker 1: Absolutely you might. I mean you could discover something. Maybe this will become a whole thing we don't know, or it could be the stepping stone to something.
Speaker 2: Else, right, And really you never know until you try.
Speaker 1: You never know until you try. I do love I know that's what it is. But I love your continued usage of desiccated coconut.
Speaker 2: Uh oh does that make you feel like like like mummies are about?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Okay, it just adds another layer of like monstrosity. It's said with fondness. This is great. Please write in any other experiments.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I need to know more about more of these. That took a number of turns I did. But again, I'm really really curious. Huh, I am.
Speaker 1: Too, I am too. Yeah, keep the listeners. We always want to hear about your food experiments.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, well we do have a little bit more for you here today, but first we've got one more quick break for a word from our sponsors.
Speaker 1: And we're back.
Speaker 2: Thank you sponsors, Yes, thank you, Cecilia wrote your podcast topics are always interesting and enlightening and sometimes amazingly pertinent for me. On April fourth, you put out an episode about Turkish Delight. I was in France at the time, but made sure to listen as I was headed to Turkey in a few weeks. Once we got to Turkey, I started looking out for Turkish delight or Lookum, as you said it was called. That is the name used in Turkey, but because they want to appeal to tourists, the shops there also call it Turkish Delight. I did get some on our second day there. The shop had lots of varieties, but I wanted to try the plain ones. I bought a box of three flavors. They had rose, honey and mint. They were delicious. Later I bought another box to take to my son and his wife. That box was from a rest stop on a highway and it contained rose and lemon. I like those even better. All attach a photo of a shop in the town of Saffron Bola, which is named after Saffron. After Turkey. We went to Cambridge, England to visit our son, daughter in law and grandson. They lived next door to a Sri Lankan family and mentioned that the family had cooked a delicious dish for them that included leaves from the curry tree. I tried to correct them to say that curry wasn't a plant, but a mix of spices. They insisted the neighborhood said that there was a curry tree. That night, I looked at your podcast feed and saw an episode on the curry Tree that I had just missed. It is hard for me to keep up with podcasts when I'm traveling, so I listened to that episode and admitted my misunderstanding. The next day and now camembert ah cam and Beert. As I said at the top, we were in France, Normandy. Actually for the month of April. We have a house there in a small village. We spent the month getting the house ready for the market. So if you know anyone looking for a small house in a small village in Normandy, let us know. We're asking ninety five thousand euros. It's a charming village and we love the Normandy area, but with a grandson in England, we need to spend more time in England. We'll still vacation in France, though we've been spending time in Normandy every year except twenty twenty since twenty ten. One year we visited Camembert. There's a museum there devoted to the cheese, but it was a disappointment. It consisted of some wallboards with pictures. I don't even know if there's a factory there producing cam and Beert. We did see the statue of Marie Harel in the town center. It was interesting to learn more about the statue through your podcast.
Speaker 1: So we're moving to Normandy, Lauren.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm not doing it next week.
Speaker 1: Let's go put our funds together. Cecilia continues. The Prisidon Factory has a larger and more interesting museum that we visited in Laval last year. That one takes you through the entire history of cheese in that area, with lots of pieces of equipment on display. They describe and detailed the production of the cheese, but they don't let you visit the actual factory. I suppose her reasons of safety and cleanliness. In contrast, we did visit the factory in Lone l'abier. On that visit, we were right on the floor where the biscuits were being made. They were making chocolate cookies at the time. They have a gift shop, of course, but our guide told us we couldn't buy the biscuits we saw them making because those were made to ship to America. They are sold here under the name Pierre Biscuity. But we were discussing camm bear. Our house in Normandy is not far from the President factory in Don, France, which claims to be the largest manufacturer of cam and beer's in the world. We often see the President trucks go by the house with the morning's milk. Whenever we go out walking or driving in Normandy, we see cows in the fields and orchards. Most of the herds we see are small, twelve to forty cows. I'll attach a picture of some normand cows. We see other varieties as well. I have some Camembert in the fridge at all times when I'm in Normandy and most of the time here in North Carolina. There are many brands available in the grocery store in Normandy. I've tried several of them. Most are made from pasteoroid's milk, but I did find one made from raw milk. I didn't notice a difference in taste, but maybe I'm just not sophisticated enough to taste the difference. I often buy the President brand, but I've tried others as well. The cheeses in the supermarket in France are fresher than the ones I buy. Hear there's one variety I've bought called Les Rustique. This one is creamier. When my sister in law was visiting, she said that that one was the best, but it is still made from Pastchoi's milk. And finally, you asked for recipes. I loved baked bree or Camembert. And if you are having people over or have a large family, that's a wonderful way to serve the cheese. But if you are just one person in the household eating it. Baking a whole cheese at once is not a good idea, so I have found out a way to enjoy baked caman beert one serving at a time. You need a five inch wheel of cammbert, a five inch round pocket peda. I buy Joseph's which are low carb, a pop up toaster, and a wire cheese cutter. I hope everyone who enjoys cheese has a wire cutter. It is the best way to cut soft cheese. Take your wheel of cheese and cut it first in half so you have two semi circles. Do the same with the peda. Then stand one semi circle of cheese on the cut side in the wire cutter and use a knife. Score the outside rind parallel to the cutting wire, about one eighth inch in from the edge. You need to score the front part where the wire enters the cheese and the top, but once the wire is in the cheese, it will continue to cut through the rest of the rind. This trims off the outside rind. It's fine to use this as the first slice, but if you prefer not to eat that much rind, you can just leave that part off. Next, score the cheese twice more and cut two semicircular pieces of cheese, put each one in the peda pockets and drop them in a pop up toaster toast on a medium setting until the cheese melts. The peda will keep it from leaking into the toaster. I've been doing this for years, never had a problem with leaking. That's it. Enjoy your low carb sandwich. Well, I just have to let you know how much I enjoy your podcast and how often it relates directly to something in my life. And lovely pictures were attached, by the way, Yeah, so sad sometimes where we're.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, there were there were pictures. They were images. We're not in an image medium, no, but yeah, oh I love it when y'all write in and these like weird coincidences. I promised that we're not surveilling you.
Speaker 1: No, no, but people write in about that kind of frequently. Yeah right right, yes, also a cheese peta.
Speaker 2: Oh right. I'm kind of mad at myself for never having thought to do this.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it sounds like so.
Speaker 2: So obvious, like you have that you have the technology, Like why wouldn't you.
Speaker 1: Just put the cheese in Theah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, delicious, so cool and oh my goodness. Thank you for all of the information about Camembert and various cookies.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, always, we love that you go on such You always sound so well traveled. You go on all these journeys, Cecilia.
Speaker 2: And a lot of y'all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot of you do, and we love that you share that with us and we get to live somewhat vicuriously through you. Yes. Well, this brings us to the end of this listener mail episode, but we do love so much hearing from all of you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, thank you. Thank you to everyone who wrote in.
Speaker 1: Thank you to everyone who wrote in, and please keep those letters coming. We'll be here for twenty three and if you would like to message us, you can. You can email us at Hello, atsavorpod dot com.
Speaker 2: We're also hypothetically on social media. We are on blue Sky and Instagram at saver pod, and we do hope to hear from you. Save is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, you can visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. Thanks as always to our super producers Dylan Fagan and Andrew Howard. Thanks to you for listening and we hope that lots more good things are coming your way.