Speaker 1: But I invited you here, thought I made myself perfectly clear. When you're a guest in my home, you gotta come to me empty. And I said, no, guests, you're presences.
Speaker 2: Presence, and.
Speaker 1: I already had too much stuff, So how do.
Speaker 3: You dare to surbey me?
Speaker 4: Welcome to? I said, no gifts. I'm Richard Wineger. I hope you're not at a low I hope that you're not, you know, stuck in the middle of a divorce battle or something. I hope you're having a decent day. I just went and got coffee. On the way back, I noticed, well, it was probably ten pounds of tuna fish a can, just splattered all across the road. If you hurry, you could probably it'll probably be fine. You could get it. It's on Townsend Avenue, right before the Christian coffee shop, so be on the lookout. But hurry. You know, tuna can only last so long. Who cares. Let's talk to our guests. Our guest is so fantastic. It's Zany Nab Johnson. It's a Nab. Welcome to, I said, no gifts.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 4: Oh, of course, of course, it's this is what I'm gonna say right off the bat, Okay, I'm out of summer outfits. Okay, it's October when we're recording this. It's ninety degrees. Yes, I've been wearing summer outfits since who knows when. At this point, I'm ready to wear a long sleeve shirt. Yeah, how are you feeling? You look very summary, Thank you.
Speaker 5: And I am tired of wearing summer outfits as well.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm a New Yorker.
Speaker 5: Oh, and so I jump at the opportunity to put on a black turtleneck.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's just heaven for me.
Speaker 5: And I was in I was doing a show the other day in San Francisco, and I was able to break out the black turtle.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So you know, today is an unusually like an unusually unusual.
Speaker 4: I think I liked unusually believe. I think we should we need to put that in the lexicon. Actually, that rolls right off the tongue.
Speaker 3: Unusual ably unusually warm day.
Speaker 4: It's uh, it's the sort of warm where you just feel like you feel like you can pass through. It's like a physical The air is solid. Yeah, I feel like I'm in a wall or something hiding in the attic.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and last week it was nice.
Speaker 3: It was nice.
Speaker 4: Now it's horrible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it feels like dead of summer weather.
Speaker 4: That's what it feels like about like July twenty ninth. Yes, and it does a lot the brain. Yeah, it does a lot to my brain at least. But I have the windows open and my house feels perfectly fine.
Speaker 3: Interesting, isn't that strange.
Speaker 4: Because throughout the summer we have to have the windows sealed, AC on. Yeah, my house is perfectly pleasant right now. Or maybe I have just my standards of lowered.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 5: You know, I was in an Uber when this is Sorry, this might sound like a shift, but it's not. Because I am the type of person that will have the cooling air on as well as the windows open, because I love fresh air, even if it's not moving. I just want to know I have access to it, right, But then I'll.
Speaker 3: Turn on like the AC or central cooling just to cool things off.
Speaker 5: Sure, And when I was in an Uber, I requested that the AC stay on, but then I was like, I'm gonna roll down the window and the Uber driver got really upset with me, and I, you know, I feel like the ride share relationship is reciprocal, you know, it has to be.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So I was like, oh, unless is there something I was trying to figure it out. I was like, is this something wrong with your windows? Like well, you know, like why don't you want me to have what I want? And he was like, oh, you know that ruins your car?
Speaker 4: Ruins?
Speaker 3: And I was I know so little about cars.
Speaker 5: I drive a Tesla and someone had to tell me that I could access the radio.
Speaker 4: Did you think that, like radio was just not part of the futuristic pasta.
Speaker 5: I just thought that that was because I didn't see it. It's it wasn't there and available to me. So when this the person was wildly disappointed in my ignorance, but he.
Speaker 4: Like, you believed him in the moment that this could ruin the car?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I believed him and he kind of explained to me.
Speaker 5: He was like, something happened, like it won't ruin the car, but it will ruin your cooling system because.
Speaker 4: Oh god, I don't know, there's no way. That's maybe if you did it for two hundred years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and who has a car for two hundred years now?
Speaker 6: He's full of Shit's got the notes? It says it's not harmful to the car, just wasteful of fuel. So that sounds like, sounds like it's a hymn problem.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's an old wives tale.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it sounds like a frugal uber driver.
Speaker 4: And we can't blame anybody. We're all trying to pinch pennies where we can.
Speaker 5: Sounds like I'm gonna have to go back and look at my ride history and change that rating.
Speaker 3: I'm kidding. I'm kidding.
Speaker 4: You are a vengeful person. Wow, So what ended up happening? You just got the AC That's all he put along.
Speaker 5: I think I was pleasant enough for him to roll the window down a little bit for a little while, and I think he kept checking with me. He was like, it was a pretty long ride because I'm in New York. There's traffic, okay. So after a few minutes he was like, you still want it down, and maybe after about three check ins, I'm like, okay, you know, you go roll it up.
Speaker 3: It's fine.
Speaker 4: Three checks This is a lot. That's where you're like, oh, you really hate this.
Speaker 5: I'm like, you know what, let me you you let me have what I wanted for fifteen minutes.
Speaker 3: I'll oblige you.
Speaker 4: Maybe he's eco conscious.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 4: I'm fighting for this guy now. I'm totally on his side.
Speaker 5: But you know what, when you're getting like on and off flights and things, all you want, like you you do want a comfortable temperature setting, but for some reason you want air because when you're in an airpool and you're in a flight, the air feels so artificial, it feels so stale.
Speaker 4: Yes, you know, so you should be able to crack the window whenever you want. Yeah, just a little bit of outside let it in. Everybody appreciates that. For a minute you're on the freeway or something exactly. I mean, if you had your window roaring during the freeway, I can see the real problem.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Do you know what I was wondering with my car air conditioning recently, is you know the foot feature? You know, it's like you have feet or the face. The feet thing never does anything for me. Do you have that? I why not just have it directly on my torso and face?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 5: So the only time, okay, when I prefer the air blowing towards my feet is when it's when I need the heating.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: It's something about just warm.
Speaker 4: Toe's like it's like a head floor.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm gonna get there, you know, like it's comforting and you know, but when it's cold, when i'm when it's cold air, the only time I move it from my face is like if I just got my hair done and it's so flowy that it can't really stand like.
Speaker 3: Much air pressure.
Speaker 5: So it's like we're not trying to seem like we're in a tornado, you know, Like, so I have to like move it, although I don't want to.
Speaker 4: Right, that makes sense As a short haired person, I guess this just never crosses my mind. Yeah, yeah, it's just the short hair privilege or something. Yeah, but yeah, the foot thing I'm wondering, are my legs not are the nerves and some sort of nervous system problem?
Speaker 5: What about do you have on pants or shorts? Because I feel like you'd feel it immediately if you have on shorts.
Speaker 4: Feeling nothing, you're feeling feeling nothing, Or maybe my legs just need to be really cold. Maybe yeah, maybe it's an incredible question I'm asking.
Speaker 5: So cold air is coming out towards your legs and feet, I'm like, wait a minute, investigative refers, and you're not feeling anything.
Speaker 4: As far as I know, or maybe it's mental. Maybe I'm just like the immediacy of it coming towards my upper body is like, I don't know, Maybe I need to do some testing. Yeah, do some real research with this. Yeah. But cold air falls, so I feel like having it. That's true, right, because hot rises.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't know.
Speaker 4: You're looking at me like I'm a complete moron. No.
Speaker 5: When you said no, no, no, when you said cold air falls, all I thought was, well, heat rises, that's all good.
Speaker 4: So you're confirming my scientific knowledge.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: So I feel like it coming towards my body. It's like that's enough the waterfall. It's coming down to the feet. But I am going to leave it on just my feet for maybe an hour today. Well, I'm not gonna be driving for an hour. Where am I going Palm springs? Uh? My ten minute trip to the grocery store. No, Torso simply the feet, the.
Speaker 3: Feet, and see if you feel it.
Speaker 5: If you don't feel it, we gotta we gotta get you to a.
Speaker 4: Sort of doctor. Do I seek? Is that a physiologist? Is that it orthopedic doctors?
Speaker 5: I wouldn't say orthopedic because it's not bones or or muscle. It would be nerves.
Speaker 4: It would be like spinal doctor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the nerve I'm looking.
Speaker 4: Like yougis oh yeah, that's a good that's a good job. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I like I still a neurologists and to see if I had some nerve damage, and I it always feels much more thorough than any other doctors.
Speaker 4: What do they do. I'm so curious. I've never been to one.
Speaker 5: It depends, but sometimes they can like attach sensors to whatever part of your body that they're trying to test, and then they send the electro oh like kind of like shots right right, if you know, if it's picking up. I had years ago, I was in a I was hit by a truck. I was gonna say I was in a really bad car accident, but I wasn't in a car, but I while I was in a hospital, the neurologists took needles, really long thin needles, and stuck them in certain places and then sent the electro yeah through those needles to see, like, you know what part of my yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah wow. And I assume you felt it in some places.
Speaker 5: I did in some places. I felt it in a different place.
Speaker 3: In my body.
Speaker 4: Fascinating.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like he might have done it in like my hip, but then I felt it like near my shin.
Speaker 4: That's almost like psychic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, somebody gives you no information.
Speaker 5: Except that better be real comfortable in life when I hit sixty two because it's gonna be hard.
Speaker 4: That's enough for a psychic revelation. Yeah. Maybe I'll go to a neurologists just as a little experience at some point, just waste a neurologists' time.
Speaker 3: I think they'll love it.
Speaker 5: I think if you go to a neurologist and say, listen, I got the ac or my car blasting on my legs at sixty one degrees for solid ten minutes and I feel nothing, the neurologist is going to say, I'm happy you came in today.
Speaker 4: Neurologists is the job. In middle school I told everyone was going to because I was too ashamed to say I wanted to do whatever this is really and there's no chance I was not on the path to neurology. What are we talking about? I mean I was done with science and math in eleventh grade. Yeah, I mean, forget it. So people probably saw through it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but it it is inspiring, like when you hear a little kid, it's like I want to be a because I mean neurologists. How many syllables is that? Even just a word is ambitious to say, you know, I'm going to be a neurologist, just.
Speaker 4: Like luck baby.
Speaker 5: If you believe in them, it's like that's really promising. And if you don't believe in them, it's so cute.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I's like they don't know.
Speaker 4: Yet, right, It's like I'm gonna be a fairy princess or something. What temperature are you keeping on in the car? I'm gonna just keep talking about temperature because I feel like I'm bad with temperature.
Speaker 3: I am.
Speaker 5: I don't know if I'm bad with temperature, but I need to bring it to a balance. I'm a room temperature type of person. Okay, so I'm only doing whatever is necessary to get it to room temperature. So if it's ninety degrees outside, then I got to turn on cold air, and then the moment it gets too cold, I gotta.
Speaker 3: Shut it off.
Speaker 4: But let's say, what cold are you going to?
Speaker 3: I'm sixty is the lowest that my car will.
Speaker 4: Be, But you're going all the way to six.
Speaker 3: I'm going all the way to sixty because okay.
Speaker 4: Oh, now I feel very strange.
Speaker 3: Wait, what kind of car do you drive?
Speaker 4: I drive an electric Hyundai.
Speaker 3: Okay, So the thing about the Tesla is, you know, the top is all like glass.
Speaker 5: Oh, and so it takes on in the most disrespectful way the temperature out the greenhouse it is, you know, and think, I think that it is the only downside to that vehicle.
Speaker 4: So far that it's like a very obvious flaw.
Speaker 5: So it's yeah, and so you have to like the car thinks that it's so smart that even if I try and put it on like seventy, it's like, no, I need to I know, you think that's okay, but I got to take care of myself.
Speaker 3: So the car will try and regulate its.
Speaker 4: Own temperature, right, you know, right, And so it's heading down to six, so.
Speaker 5: It goes down to sixty and then it does a good job. It does it very fast. But then I get too cold.
Speaker 4: M Oh, this is nice there for me. You don't get the flu or something.
Speaker 5: No, because I have the windows down, you know, and just thinking about my uba drive like just anxious, like.
Speaker 3: He told me, this is terrible.
Speaker 4: I should not have come to you with these questions. It's mayhem with you. The temperatures are all over the place, the windows are open, the sun is beating down. Yes, it's They should have like an umbrella for the Tesla. That feels like a good invention. Yeah, I mean umbrella that sits on top of the car.
Speaker 3: A nice a nice rainbow one.
Speaker 4: I feel like people would get into that.
Speaker 5: I would hate that.
Speaker 4: You say it now, I'd appreciate.
Speaker 3: Its function, but I'd hate the way it looks.
Speaker 4: How about like one that matches the color of the car.
Speaker 3: That makes sense.
Speaker 5: So this is the thing, This is what the car offers that I never take advantage of.
Speaker 3: And this is not a commercial for Tesla. Forgive me.
Speaker 4: Oh, I don't know. I'm You're just winked at me.
Speaker 3: Let's get a sponsor.
Speaker 5: So you can, of course control the car from your phone anywhere in the world.
Speaker 3: Right, Like if I.
Speaker 5: Left my car here and then had to go away and you were like, hey, Zaynab, I need to move your car, I could just give you access through my phone and then you just drive my car.
Speaker 4: Really, Yeah, that's incredible.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's wonderful. It's convenient.
Speaker 4: That's incredibly convenient.
Speaker 5: And so they have this function in the Tesla app where you can cool off your car before you get in.
Speaker 4: Right, I have this. I know I don't have a fancy enough to let people just go driving whenever.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like, I can make you an authorized user and all you would need is your phone.
Speaker 4: You've got to let me be an authorized user.
Speaker 3: Just in case.
Speaker 5: It's like I have I have a year from now, I have roadside trouble and I'm like, Fridger, are you available?
Speaker 4: I would be there in an instant. I wouldn't think for a second.
Speaker 3: Are your legs working?
Speaker 4: I would be headed over. So just keep me in mind, That's all I'm going to say.
Speaker 5: But I forget to do that until I get in the car, and I'm like, why didn't Right, It's.
Speaker 3: Ninety seven degrees in his car? Why didn't I do that?
Speaker 4: Right? You should treat yourself every once in a while. It's like having a little person there just waiting for you with the cool air on, little ghosts or something sounds so lovely.
Speaker 5: Tiny angels with spray bottles and fans.
Speaker 4: Now with that other feature, have you given that access to anybody so that they can drive your car? Yes? My sister, and has she taken advantage of it?
Speaker 5: She's driven it, but she hasn't. I wouldn't say she's taken advantage of it, Okay, okay, but but I will say that she was driving it. When I returned home from like a work trip.
Speaker 4: Oh interesting.
Speaker 5: And when I when the uber dropped me off at my house and my car wasn't in the driveway, I did feel away.
Speaker 3: Right, and I knew I wasn't going anywhere.
Speaker 5: This was like one of those trips work trips where I was in five different states in five different days, and so I knew when I got home, I was gonna postmate some food and then crash on a couch for seventeen hours, right, right. But something about not seeing my car there made me feel restricted.
Speaker 4: It's unsettling. Yeah, you need to know you can go exactly, it's all you need exactly. Yeah, now you're just trapped at home. Yeah that seems bad to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And so I texted my sister and I was like, hey, how long will you be? And she was like, oh, did you have somewhere to go?
Speaker 3: And I was like no. She's like, okay, did you need something? And I was like no.
Speaker 4: But no, I totally get that feeling. My boyfriend is living in New York right now, so he got rid of his car, and so for like two days he needed to use my car. But there were times where it's like, I just need you can't drive it for these hours. I'm not going anywhere, but what if I have an idea. Yeah, it's just the mere thought of him being out gallivanting and I want to go to Target for no reason.
Speaker 3: Target is my favorite place?
Speaker 4: Is it reasonly?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I feel like it's the uh.
Speaker 5: I don't know about guys, but I feel like the lady, the thirty five year old lady, Like that's how Disneyland like, Yo, I'm never bored. If Target is open, then I'm never bored. I always got something. When the pandemic, everything's shut down, maybe like a week or two weeks into it, when Targets sent out their email like hey, we have reduced hours, but we're opening up, I.
Speaker 3: Said, I got to go. I gotta go.
Speaker 4: I am literally right there with you. I was in line. I was ready to do some at least minor wandering. I had to just look at objects and feel kind of normal.
Speaker 5: I'm like, let me read these greeting cards, what's new in the Mahogany collection.
Speaker 4: You know, it's a thing to do. It's a nice time killer.
Speaker 5: It is, and it's it's always laid out, so, you know, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know where this came from.
Speaker 5: Again, I'm from New York City and we didn't grow up I didn't grow up with stores like this. It took me moving to LA to have gone to a Walmart for the first time in my life, right, And so I don't know.
Speaker 3: Target is like, that's that's my chance.
Speaker 4: There's a novelty and a freedom, and you're just like the space. Yeah yeah, I mean, and the Targets in New York don't do this same thing.
Speaker 3: I don't even think I've ever been.
Speaker 4: They're you know, they're like every big New York store. They're not big. Yeah, it's not that like, oh I'm in the middle of a field, but no, I'm actually in the serial eye.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's your close close quarters. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I'm a very I love Target. It's my museum.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I like to just wander and look at things same frequently, don't buy anything, which I think is crossing a line. Yeah, but it's still a good time, Do you always leave with something?
Speaker 5: I would say yes, I think that if ever I have not left, I go in not thinking I need anything, you know, just waiting for something to jump out at me.
Speaker 3: I'm going to Target for inspiration.
Speaker 5: But if I don't leave with something from Target, then something's not right in the world, right, because you know, I don't know, there's possibility.
Speaker 4: It means that kind of your anchor has failed you. Yeah, and maybe your loss, maybe Target's lost.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I leave with things I know I'm going to return.
Speaker 4: Oh, I love that feeling, you know, like, yeah.
Speaker 5: I'm going to buy this breadmaker today because I was feeling ambitious.
Speaker 3: But then tomorrow reality will set in.
Speaker 4: Sometimes you just need to get it home now the feeling is gone. Yeah, and I can take it back. I understand that.
Speaker 5: Sometimes it doesn't even come out in my car, and that's when I know, like, oh, you never planned on using this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a that's a mistake. That's just an absolute mistake to be driving around with something that you need to return. Yeah. I've had some T shirts in my car for a week that have to go back. I can't bring myself to the Whole Foods to drop them off. So it's just always in the back of my mind. I've got to get rid of it. It's taking up brain energy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know how, like, okay, this is the last thing I'll say about. Sorry, there's how much I love try. You know how target offers like they can just bring it out to your car, right, I never choose that app Okay, I was about to feel very betrayed.
Speaker 3: Ever, I gotta go in.
Speaker 5: What thank you? So I came all the way here and did it? See my best friend?
Speaker 4: What? No? A thousand percent agree, there's no question I'm going into the store. Yes. Actually, I wouldn't even like if they had piled the things up for me to take. Wouldn't want that. I want to go on the journey.
Speaker 5: Yes, you just want to put it in my trunk. You don't want any interaction?
Speaker 4: No, no, no, where's the joy? No? I mean we have a very similar target mindset. It's shocking to me we've never run into each other at a target.
Speaker 3: Which targets do you go to?
Speaker 4: If there's a target I see, I'll go in it. But my local targets are the Eagle Rock, Glendale. Okay, Occasionally I'll get into the Alhambra or Pasadena. Okay, used to be the one on Los Sienaga. Do you know this one which one moved to La. It's Loscienaga, near a giant seas candy factory.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's that's the target.
Speaker 4: I go there, that's yours.
Speaker 3: That's my target. Now.
Speaker 5: I used to always go to cause that's like south, that's like I don't know, in.
Speaker 3: Between here and airport right exactly.
Speaker 5: But when I lived in Hollywood, my target used to be uh, Santa Monica and Librea.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I don't like that one, Okay, No, I'm thinking, oh, it's fine, it's okay. No, I'm thinking about the one on the West Hollywood that's in a nightmare zone. Who knows that sees candy factory things?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: When I first moved to LA, I applied for a job working there. It's like their warehouse. Yeah, And I handed the application to a woman who's probably in her seventies and she said, can you lift a box over fifty pounds? And I said yes, and she just shook her head. I did not get the job. This is horrifying. And you know she's lifting all these boxes, so she's like, no way, child. That will stick in my mind forever.
Speaker 5: But you know, I love that when someone knows us better than we know, like they know our reality. Way back when when I first started doing stand up, I was like, okay, in order for me, like, I know, I'm not going to make enough money at first, so I need to work for an airline.
Speaker 3: That way, any comedian that wants me to like.
Speaker 5: Feature for them on the road, I'll have like a flight, you know, like I won't have to pay for the fight.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: So I go to Delta, I apply to be a flight attendant, right, and because I'm like, I'm gonna work for the airline, but like I.
Speaker 3: Want the glamorous.
Speaker 5: Right. Of course, it's like it's too late to be a pilot, so let me be a flight attendant, right. And they fly you to Atlanta, their hub, and they have this whole like flight attendant school. What in Atlanta? They put you on a whole time, I mean everything, they take care of it. This is like this is like an old expense paid job interview, right, And you go through this training and then at some point you have to get up and make the announcements like the you know, the emergency, you know you got to like talk to and they don't tell you what to say.
Speaker 3: Oh, they don't give you a threat, you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well that was my opportunity because well I was like, okay, I've been on enough planes to know what you have to say. I was like, but I'm a comedian. I'm a new comedian. Oh this is you know new comedians think every time you're but yeah, I'm like, ooh, I'm gonna make these people. We don't know if you're gonna get the job, but you're gonna laugh today.
Speaker 3: Right after you do all of that, they give you no critique.
Speaker 5: Like in the moment in front of your audience, they bring you into the room one by one to let you know if you're going forward or if they're putting you on a flight back home. Right, And this lovely woman, she says, what are you doing? And I said, I'm trying to be a flight attendant.
Speaker 3: And she said, but what do you what do you do? Like what are you doing in life?
Speaker 5: And I said, oh, well, I just started comedy and I really love it. And you know, I'm a stand up comedian. But don't worry, Like when I'm on Delta's time, I'll be on Delta's time, you know, like really trying to.
Speaker 3: Bring it home. And she said, listen, I want you to follow your dream. And I was like, okay, oh no.
Speaker 5: She said, yeah, I want you to leave here and I want you to follow your dream.
Speaker 4: Your first fan. That's incredible.
Speaker 5: And I was like a little bit pistol. I was like, lady, this is a part of me following my dream.
Speaker 3: I'm kind of.
Speaker 4: I need free flights.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but I got what she was saying, right of course, like this could be a massive detour in your life, right, and.
Speaker 3: You need to be very direct on his pet. That's how I took it.
Speaker 4: I know a lot of situations i'd be like, oh, she's making an excuse because she doesn't want to hire you. But I feel like being a flight attendant takes over your life. Yeah, you're like in every time zone, You're staying in different cities all the time. I think it may have ruined your life.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, people loving flight attendants, but I don't think it was for you.
Speaker 3: It wasn't for me. I mean, clearly it wasn't for me.
Speaker 4: I'll also say in that moment, you should have lied. Job interviews are pureized yeah, yeah, don't be honest. Yeah, don't tell me you're on your way out.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I think that she when she said it. I think, you know, some people you can lie to, strangers or people you've known your entire life, and then there people who you just cannot something about them, like you know, permeates your it makes you completely transparent, you know.
Speaker 4: Right, people say that about me. Really no, but this woman, she had the energy she.
Speaker 3: Did and I didn't. Fin Maybe I secretly knew.
Speaker 4: Right, it's probably like on a deeper, deeper level your feeling and there was some sort of connection there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Interesting, but you honestly the fact that you got like this free mini vacation, Yeah, I might apply for the job just to get that.
Speaker 3: As the ghostman a day in Atlanta.
Speaker 4: I love staying in a hotel on somebody's style. And then in the interview, I'll say, gotcha, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I would have been a great flight attendant.
Speaker 4: Oh you would have been excelled.
Speaker 3: I great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I can imagine, And I.
Speaker 3: Think that's you know, all my friends would have been flight attended.
Speaker 4: Oh, and you would have been all over the world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'd been hanging out.
Speaker 4: It does seem like a good time to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but then I would have woke up ten years later and been like, what was that? Wait? What I came to it? Leana? I remember I told a joke. You know, it would have.
Speaker 4: Been Yeah, it would have gone by in a flash. You would have always wondered, Yeah, yeah, wow, well something I've been wondering about. Yes, the podcast is called I said no Gifts. Yes, I was very, very excited to have you here today. I thought, she's gonna come by, well chat. Hopefully the heat won't be overwhelming that part has It hasn't worked out as planned. I am sweating like crazy, but I thought otherwise, we're going to have a nice summary time. So I was a little surprised when the doorbell rang and I open it and I see you, and then I see you're holding what appears and I'm just I hate to assume what appears to be a gift for me? Yes, what's happening here?
Speaker 5: So I thought about a few things. Okay, that is in fact a gift for you, Okay, right right? And I thought I wonder if anyone ever actually listens to him and doesn't bring a gift. And then I was like, but I don't want to be.
Speaker 4: That person, you know, right, that's interesting process.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: Then I thought, well, maybe it doesn't have to be a tangible gift.
Speaker 3: Maybe I could write him a high coup. Oh then I didn't want to write a high coup.
Speaker 4: That's a lot of work.
Speaker 3: Then I thought, well, he'll like this gift. You know how people think that they're the exception.
Speaker 4: Of course, people say that about me all the time.
Speaker 5: I didn't have the courage to not show up with a gift as much as you said, don't so please forgive me.
Speaker 3: You know what they say? What is it saying like?
Speaker 5: Just do like do it and ask for forgiveness later.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, let's see, it's hoals. You know Atals is smiling.
Speaker 6: What is it better to ask for forgiveness than permission?
Speaker 2: There?
Speaker 4: There you go, what a great rule.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So, has anyone not brought you a gift?
Speaker 4: Has anybody, Lisa? Has anybody not brought me a gift?
Speaker 5: Has anyone not not pissed you off?
Speaker 3: I think the closest would be ze Way.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, that was an early one. Yeah yeah, sea Way sent me no gift. Okay, she sent an email though, and I considered that a gift okay. I printed it out and framed it and then it became a gift.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: So so far, no one's just shown up completely. Thank you Analise completely okay.
Speaker 3: And has anyone sent you a gift as a gift?
Speaker 4: Margaret cho send me all an n FT which was not a gift, It was a photo of her.
Speaker 3: I think, oh, non functionible. Is it worth anything?
Speaker 4: Yes? I think if you say an NFT is worth something, it is immediately worth something, okay. And I value this at about six point one million, so and you know the market fluctuates, yeah, but I assume it's just going to keep going up. Yeah, someone's gonna buy it for me eventually, and it's going to solve all of my problems. Yeah. Well, should I open the gift here on the podcast?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: It's an endurable little uh burlap sack that's very cute, and it says decolonize your tongue. That's nice. It does that? Does that have anything to do with what's happening in hair? Should I open it up? Yeah?
Speaker 3: It does. It's a directly.
Speaker 4: Hard first sure, Okay. The card I keep forgetting about because it's a durable it's about it's very sweet. I'm opening it. Okay, this is Bridger. I know you said no gifts, but okay, you you were coming with a big excuse immediately.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, you know what it is?
Speaker 5: What I think that it is the weirdest thing to give someone a gift without a card with it. I don't know where I got that from, right, I don't know why. I don't know if you just need to like put your name on it, get like you need to attach like a greeting. But it feels very strange to me to give someone something wrapped and then just like that's.
Speaker 4: You know, you know, it almost feels like it could just literally have been from anybody. Yeah, you found that in the road to give to them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's like putting your hair in a ponytail without a hair tie.
Speaker 4: I mean that's impressive. Yeah. No, I agree with that for the most part. I feel like I'm trying to think of any any time I've ever given a gift without.
Speaker 3: Without a card. It just doesn't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, even to like like kids like my nieces have some card.
Speaker 3: I think you can give a card without a gift.
Speaker 4: Right, Which, come on, now you're hinting that you could have given me more. What a shame I didn't. You're just making me read. Yeah, okay, I'm opening the gift. Here it feels like there are two things. Take them both out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 4: They're like little packages within a package, which I appreciate. Oh oh is this nice tea? I am just track. I know it's nice tea because it's not in a box. It's in like a little like air tight package.
Speaker 3: Calibash, calabash.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's two different types. And Moroccan, which we love the title of and simply irresistible. Okay, tell me once caffeine. Well, you've really thought it through. One has caffeine, one does? Yeah, okay, tell me everything.
Speaker 3: The rock and Moroccans should have caffeine. Is that the one that is.
Speaker 4: Yes and tells you everything?
Speaker 5: I So Here's here's what's funny about this gift is as I was walking out of my house with it, I thought, who gives loose leaf tea without the actual functioning teep like the thing to steep it?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 5: I've made I've made a pretty big assumption about you.
Speaker 4: You've made an enormous incorrect.
Speaker 5: That you somehow have what is necessary to steep loose leaf tea.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna be going through the cabinets. Okay, but this might be, you know, a good thing for me. It might be the you know, you're lighting a fuse in my life where I'm like, I have to go out and get what's necessary.
Speaker 3: I've given you a reason to go back to targeting.
Speaker 4: Right exactly, I'm gonna I'll be there today. Yes, who are you kidding? See and it's a little metal thing or do you buy the you don't put in sacks?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: No, no, you don't play a nightmare? Yeah you so. So here's the thing about loose leaf tea.
Speaker 5: Okay, first of all, I am totally I used to be like an espresso girl.
Speaker 3: Okay, espresso coffee all the time.
Speaker 5: Anytime I take that over a meal. If you know, you want to give me like a latte and a muffin, you know, get what, Get that car protein vegetable out of here, you know. And then I reached the point in my life where I started having these allergic reactions to things.
Speaker 3: Well one of them was espresso.
Speaker 4: Oh this is my nightmare.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was like everything I loved.
Speaker 5: She told me, this doctor told me that I couldn't have, and I was like, what is life? Of course, and I moved into machas, you know, because I really, well, is it.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's a whole lifestyle shift, it really is.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: It tastes like health, it tastes.
Speaker 5: Like grass, and it depends on the macha you get, you know. But I also did not want to be having these reactions that I was having, right, And I think the thing with machas, you realize like, oh wait, you go to some places and you're like, oh, people are just making lattes out of teas, right, right, And so then I got into tea like I always drank tea.
Speaker 4: But you're not thinking about it.
Speaker 3: I'm like, you just go when you buy a Celestial Seasons, you buy the.
Speaker 4: Pre bag exactly, the little Teddy Bear guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And then my friend one day he's like, you know, all the tea bags when they come prepackaged, you know, it's like plastic, And I'm like, you ever go out and buy something more expensive, thinking you're saving yourself from Like I was like, I was like, no, I'm buying I'm buying expensive tea. My tea bags are silk, My tea bags are one hundred percent Linen. He's like, I know you think they are, but they're not like.
Speaker 4: The stuff that catch fishing.
Speaker 3: He's like, he's like.
Speaker 5: They all have some sort of like plastic foaming on them.
Speaker 4: Oh, this is horrifying. Yeah, he's melting into your water.
Speaker 3: Your water. He's like, so you have to switch over to loose leaf tea.
Speaker 4: Oh that is mortifying. So how long have you been doing loose leaf?
Speaker 3: Probably since May.
Speaker 4: Oh it's a recent thing.
Speaker 3: It's a recent thing.
Speaker 4: Okay, So when did you I've got a lot of questions because I have a lot of questions about coffee and everything in general. When did you stop coffee or espresso?
Speaker 3: Coffee and espresso?
Speaker 4: Oh okay, so you're done with coffee altogether.
Speaker 5: I've been trying recent lead to do it go like put.
Speaker 3: It back in.
Speaker 5: So I have like one, I had one, like a latte, like maybe like two weeks ago, and then I found the next two days I had migraines.
Speaker 3: That I could not get rid of.
Speaker 5: Oh no, yeah, so I stopped coffee and espresso in the either the very end of.
Speaker 3: Twenty twenty one, the very end of twenty twenty one.
Speaker 4: So you've been off for a while. Yeah, and you were drinking plastic for about a year and a half.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was going strong with macha's at first, and then my favorite I found this place, this cafe in Harvard Heights that they made an amazing macha. I mean, I'm like, this isn't macha. This is just a treat in my mouth. It happens to be green.
Speaker 4: Right, had a very good shade of green, by the way, a very.
Speaker 3: Good shade grit. But they would do the strawberry milk, you know, when I would get it iced. Oh, I mean, I mean I was.
Speaker 5: I was screaming from the rooftop, you know, like you guys got it.
Speaker 3: This is a special thing. And I so I fast.
Speaker 4: During Mama done, okay? Sure?
Speaker 5: And Ramadan this year was it's in March, okay, And so I'm not eating or drinking during the day, right, But as soon as Ramadan is over, you know, you want to be able to go to your favorite places while the sun is up, because for thirty days you've abstained.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: I go to my coffee shop and I see a sign on a window, or my macha shop. Rather, I see a sign on a window saying sorry, but as.
Speaker 4: Of oh, this feeling permanently yeah, permanently crushing, crushing. You just assume restaurants and coffee shops will always be there. It just it never crosses your mind that they, like the ones you love, will go out of business. I mean it's like next to family members and friends dying, Like restaurants, you're like, they'll just be there forever and will live together.
Speaker 5: And sometimes you think like, well, there's so many shitty places that have been open for years. This place is like a gem, you know, this is like this is like a beautiful little treat in this neighborhood. They're for sure they're going to last.
Speaker 4: Why do bad things happen to good restaurants? Yes?
Speaker 5: And then the shock is because it's like, if it weren't Ramadan, I would have been there multiple times, so I would have at least been prepared, you know what I'm saying. I would have spent the last week just there every day, you know, like a going out of business.
Speaker 4: Heard it like croak out its final word.
Speaker 3: Yes, but this was a shock.
Speaker 4: Do you blame yourself? Were they hanging by a thread and every day they're like, where's she at? I'm accusing you, I'm pointing a finger. Let's be honest, they were so good.
Speaker 5: I went to their Yelp page to see why, and people were leaving reviews after the closed announcement, saying, we're so sad to see this place. Oh, they were such a wonderful. Do you know treat in neighborhood?
Speaker 4: I mean seriously, like it's like leaving flowers at the grave.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I searched for them one line.
Speaker 4: I we're just mold melding here. I've done the exact same thing two days ago that I was like, there's this Korean place I wanted to go to. I was like, I'm gonna head out, and then I googled it just in case. I saw bright red letters permanently close. So I'm getting on Yelp. I'm looking the last two reviews are mourning the loss of it. Yeah, horrible feeling. I think I've probably I actually know for a fact there was a taco place years ago that closed. I cried, Yeah, first of all, literally cried, and then got in touch with the owners, tried to figure out what was going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The thing that's going on is they don't have any money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yea very pretty simple.
Speaker 4: I mean, they don't have a ghost or something. You know, it's like, yeah, we just weren't doing enough business.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And then you're like, what does that say about my taste that I'm going to the place that went out of business?
Speaker 5: I in this time, this climate, I just knew that it was like they either have to charge ten dollars for what they're doing or they have to figure out another way. And I will admit I will pay seven fifty for a macha.
Speaker 3: I'm unwilling today to go up to ten dollars.
Speaker 5: I walked into a place that had hot reviews and I said, I'll do a strawberry macha, right. And I'm thinking, like I'm finding a new place, of course, you know, and she said she said something like ten seventy one, and I did a double take.
Speaker 3: I said, wait, I thought she charged me for a muffin.
Speaker 4: You know, where's my Thanksgiving fees?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I said wait, wait, wait what what what are the charges? And she was like, you want an almond milk right? And I was like yeah, and she was like yeah, it's this is the And I was like, oh, I'm so sorry. Did you start making it? She was like no, no, no, I said, I'm so sorry, I have a great day.
Speaker 4: Good for you. Yeah, and felt bad for two weeks.
Speaker 3: No, no, you have to stand up.
Speaker 4: For yourself in these No. No, no ten dollars for I mean, any non alcoholic beverage. It's we've entered a danger.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: But but but I saw her setup. Her setup was nowhere near the setup interesting of my guys.
Speaker 4: Right, so she was ripping people off.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they were trying to provide a superb product and a made to order product.
Speaker 3: But that cost, it.
Speaker 4: Really does, right, You've got to cut some corners, so they corners cut.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: AnyWho, So now I'm on my tea. You know, Now I'm on this tea journey. It's like I've lost coffee. I've kind of lost machia.
Speaker 4: And and are you strictly hot tea?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: No, no, okay, you like a cold tea.
Speaker 3: I'll drink of cold tea.
Speaker 5: But I have never been like you know how people were like give me the Arnold Palmer.
Speaker 3: I'm like, sure, why would you mess up lemonade?
Speaker 4: Why would you mess up tea? They're both great memage.
Speaker 3: You know, I am mostly a hot tea person.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: Even on the way here, I did a hot chi oh interesting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I did at agree.
Speaker 3: Weather, ninety degree weather, so you know, I had.
Speaker 4: Getting back to the temperatures with you, pure mayhem. You have the car at like forty eight degrees, boiling hot beverage. You're sick, you've got an illness.
Speaker 3: But I don't like sweat really oh that much.
Speaker 4: Wow, So you're just immortal.
Speaker 5: I don't like like I'm warm right now, right, but like it'll have to be. We'd have to be like in the Middle East for like a bead of sweat to come down my forehead.
Speaker 4: You're remarkably dry looking, and I feel like I'm drenched. No, you're dry really. Yeah, I feel like I like water is running down my face. Okay, that's good. I do feel cozy rather than hot.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I'm not to the like heat stroke the moment.
Speaker 3: Yet I feel my hair swelling.
Speaker 5: That's just you know, because I know that's gonna happen mon fuzz yeah and curl.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a terrible feeling. Yeah. I'm more of a cold tea person. Okay, I wonder if I could turn this into cold tea. You can. What do I do? I I steep it and then put it in the fridge.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was gonna say, you want to steep it hot and then put it in the.
Speaker 4: Fridge, yeah, Or I wonder if there's like there's probably enough in here to cold brew it.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't know how to cold brew.
Speaker 4: I cold just moments before you got here, was doing a whole It's called a cold brew Toddy. It's like a plastic machine you fill up with coffee and leave overnight. Next day you've got a week of cold brew. And yeah, I think you can use it for tea.
Speaker 3: Try it?
Speaker 4: Maybe I will let me know. Yeah, I mean, I wonder what how that affects. I think it just brings out the flavor.
Speaker 5: Maybe I don't so, because I know with's hot when you when you steep hot tea, right, there's a certain amount of time.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that at first too. I would be one of those people.
Speaker 5: I'm just leaving a tea bag in there, you know, I'm leaving a tea bag in there. Maybe I'm refilling some water with the same tea, but you know, just really disrespectful to tea.
Speaker 4: I mean, if you're desperate, you can use it twice, right, yeah, I.
Speaker 5: Mean, I mean they gave you fifty two tea bags for twin.
Speaker 4: What if you're in a bunker. I guess you want to have a quiet moment of tea.
Speaker 3: Do you know that?
Speaker 5: Like when we have like peppermint or chat whatever. You know, it's not actually tea Like in America we call it tea, but the like there's only two teas that come from tea.
Speaker 3: It's a tea leaf. That's what the leaf is called. It's a tea leaf.
Speaker 4: I had no idea. Actually, that's fascinating.
Speaker 3: That belief.
Speaker 4: So yeah, and then the rest of this is just like pot pourri.
Speaker 5: It's like what it like, it's mint a tea. Mint is not a tea. Mint is mint. It's a mint leaf, but it's not a tea.
Speaker 3: Leaf, right, Yeah, so.
Speaker 4: It's like a combo.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think there's like a black tea leaf.
Speaker 4: Right, maybe is that the only tea?
Speaker 3: I think? Maybe?
Speaker 4: On a leash, any idea. I would love to know this because it's a fascinating fact.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I've been lied to. The helicopters circling. Everyone's finding out three helicopters, four or five? Oh my god, that's crazy. Why do we need five helicopters?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is somewhat.
Speaker 4: Wow, the president may have just passed over. I said, no gifts, Joe reach out, Jill reach out. Wow, that was the most helicopters I've maybe ever seen together.
Speaker 3: I don't know if this is.
Speaker 6: The correct answer, but what I've found was, while there's literally thousands of teas, it can be they can all be broken down into six main types. But I don't I'm not seeing the specific.
Speaker 3: Tea like the leaf names. I'm just seeing like black and green.
Speaker 4: I think we just assume that there's a black leaf and a green leaf, and the rest were putting spices.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the rest are exactly that spices, right, fruits.
Speaker 4: And right, because I feel like there are I mean, there's well, actually, I mean I was about to say some statement about tea that simply wouldn't have been true.
Speaker 5: I don't know anything, and then then we started saying tea because where do they drink a lot of tea? Like maybe not where do they drink not like London or something, not like your but there was a certain that tea is, like that's what they originate of tea. Well, they would call this hot drink that they were drinking in that language, they would call it.
Speaker 3: Or something like that and so then you know, passed down.
Speaker 5: Yeah, then we just started calling these hot beverages that we drank tea.
Speaker 4: Wow, but it's yeah wow. I'm curious on at least you know the where tea originated. This is an educational podcasts and foremost we need to walk away with knowledge.
Speaker 6: It is probable that the tea plant originated in regions around southwest China, Tibt in northern India.
Speaker 4: There we go. We've just learned. Our minds are just so powerful and increasing every day.
Speaker 5: But isn't it interesting when when you think of tea, what country do you think of?
Speaker 3: First?
Speaker 4: I think of India? Okay, what do you think?
Speaker 3: I think? I probably think of like the Brits.
Speaker 4: Oh, England? Right, yeah, yeah, that's interesting. I mean I guess I think the India thing is two things. It's the colonization, the British people are there, and the origin.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 4: Interesting.
Speaker 5: I make my chi lattes at home and I posted one like on social media and I was like, I mean, I'm really getting so good at this. I was like, my ChIL lattes are like the best. And this Indian woman DMed me and she.
Speaker 3: Was like, it's just a chai. Wow. I was like, but doesn't latte mean?
Speaker 5: She was like, a chai means specific spices and milk.
Speaker 4: Oh interesting, So like what I think of as a chai tea is not a chi. Yeah, she mads the milk.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: She's like, if you're saying chai latte, you're just saying like chai chai.
Speaker 4: Wow. There's a lot of misinformation out there, I.
Speaker 3: Said, because you know how, sometimes you just don't want to be wrong.
Speaker 4: Oh, I love this, continued, I'm.
Speaker 5: Willing to be like a little bit wrong, right, but like one hundred percent wrong.
Speaker 3: That's asking for a lot, of course.
Speaker 5: So I was like, well, wait, doesn't latte mean steamed milk? I was like, I would be pretty pissed if I went into a store and asked for a chie and they gave me a chie with just some cold.
Speaker 4: Milk poort right.
Speaker 5: And she was like, oh, yeah, I guess you have a point. I guess in America it's and I was like, yeah, just give me a little.
Speaker 4: Two people absolutely refusing to back down from their positions.
Speaker 3: You came and watched my story. Just give me a little.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was your writing so high on this moment.
Speaker 3: Then I felt so bad.
Speaker 5: I researched it a bit and then I was like, I guess us Americans.
Speaker 4: So to be clear, a chi is a chai tea with any type of milk in it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's how they serve Yeah, it's just like milk. It's like, that's how they drink it. It's it's these spices, right, steeped in water and then with milk added into it. That is the way chai is made. So that is the way they drink chi.
Speaker 4: Right. So you take this information to a coffee shop and you get to explain something to a barista and yes, that's a I'm sure they'll love it. Yeah, they'll adore every moment of that.
Speaker 5: They will talk about me. They'll go live as soon as their shift is done.
Speaker 4: You believe this asshole.
Speaker 5: She kept back and asking for a chai and I was like a chi lat and she just kept saying chi. And I was like, chai latte or chai and she was like, there's only chai.
Speaker 4: Next thing, I know, she's pulling out an encyclopedia.
Speaker 5: So I give her this tea bag steep than hot water, and now she wants to speak to a manager.
Speaker 3: I can't do this.
Speaker 4: Just terrorizing every coffee shop in America. Well, I'm I'm very excited about both of these teas. Have you tried either of them?
Speaker 3: I've tried them. The Rock and Moroccan.
Speaker 4: All right, let me see if it tells me what flavor.
Speaker 3: It should be? Green? Is it not green tea? And Marigal my favorite.
Speaker 4: I love the sound of this and it says I can put it over ice so I can do whatever I want.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 4: And then the simply irresistible is Marigold and Egyptian mint and love love. So the other one didn't have love, so that actually it does say love, so they were both created with love. You got to know that Marigold and Egyptian mint.
Speaker 5: You know, whenever they put a country before something, it's like, oh, this is mint, but this is Egyptian mint.
Speaker 3: You're like, what's Egyptian?
Speaker 4: Man? You're going to have a weird experience.
Speaker 3: Is it meant with like heavy eyeline?
Speaker 4: I know you never know, you never know.
Speaker 3: I'm so sorry Egypt.
Speaker 4: Now I'm not going to be able to have a live show in Cairo. Cancel the dates, cancel the dates. Very interesting. Yeah, I recently did have Moroccan pepper and it was intense. I liked it, but it was it was a learning curve. There was a moment where I was like, I don't like this, and then I learned. I was like, oh, it's just different, and now I kind of love it. Yeah, you just have to let it hurt you for a minute. Yeah, Okay, Well we've got to play a game. Okay, We're gonna play Gift or a Curse today. Yes, I'm trying to have two games. I'm trying to go back and forth, and I'm you know, I don't want to brag, but I've become kind of a professional podcast host at this point. I can remember things week to week, which is incredible. I need a number between one intent from you three. Okay, I have to do some light calculating. Okay, I'm going to get our game pieces. So right now, you can promote, recommend, do whatever you want with the microphone. I'll be right back.
Speaker 3: Okay. I love love that.
Speaker 5: I have a one hour comedy special coming out October twenty fourth.
Speaker 3: It is called Hitjabs Off.
Speaker 5: It is a lovely pun on the phrase hats off, and it is available in every country where you can get Amazon Prime. It is a Prime Original, So definitely check out my one hour special. If you're interested in anything and everything that I have going on, then you can.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can check me out online.
Speaker 5: My website is Zanab Johnson dot com and social media Zanab Johnson except for TikTok. TikTok is the Zanab Johnson. So you know that I'm the one and only.
Speaker 4: I'm the official good for you. I've never been able to really claim my name on social media. There's always somebody there taking it from me.
Speaker 5: My name seemingly is not popular in America, but it's so popular around the world.
Speaker 4: Oh interesting, so somebody else is always taking it.
Speaker 5: It's not I got it. I got it in most places. First TikTok for some reason.
Speaker 4: They another probably benefiting.
Speaker 3: Z ain't Johnson specifically.
Speaker 4: You should reach out to her. Okay, this is how we're going to play gift to a curse. I'm going to name three things. You're going to tell me if there're a gift or a curse and why, then I'll tell you if you're right or wrong, because they're correct. Answers number one, there are correct, there are watch out number one. This is from a listener named Peter Peter suggested gift her a curse escalators.
Speaker 3: Ooh, escalators can be a curse for some people. I've seen it. I have seen the tumble, I have seen the.
Speaker 5: Little baby's foot gets, I have seen tragic stories. But the escalator overall is a gift.
Speaker 4: It is a gift wrong. They are simply a curse. I've been afraid of them since I was I mean it was a major childhood fear. First of all, I thought, I definitely thought one of my fingers was going in there. I thought a shoelace was going in there. I was getting sucked into the department store. So you know, they haunted me for so long. And now I love a staircase. Okay, look, if you don't want to move, get in the elevator. If you want stairs, take the stairs. Yeah, I love a nice set of stairs to run up or run down. Escalators also bring out one of my least favorite behaviors in everyone, which is the standing side by side on a moving object that should be able to the option should be to climb.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, yes.
Speaker 4: And when an escalator stops, when it's out of order and you have to walk up that.
Speaker 3: Thing, Yeah, it seems like something isn't right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Top five most disort reenting feelings. Yes, you're sick to your stomach by the top.
Speaker 5: Yes are so these are the right or wrong of it is based is solely based on you. No, no, no truths okay, because when you said there are in fact correct answers, I just knew, like Wikipedia said so or something.
Speaker 4: Okay, so you failed that one.
Speaker 3: Well wait, wait, there's no way. So you know how there's a lot of people.
Speaker 5: There's there's people on like each side of the spectrum, but most people are in the middle. I feel like that's who the escalator is for, right, because I am like you, I too use a stare, right. I feel like, yeah, as long as I can use this stare, I will use this stare.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: But then there's so many people who just don't have have that confidence.
Speaker 3: In their knees right in their hips, you know.
Speaker 5: And we live in a place that that of course has multi levels all the time.
Speaker 4: Rightly, what are we talking about, Ella, It is not that much, but not even.
Speaker 5: I'm talking about when you're at an airport, when you're at a department store, like you said, when you're at a mall right, and elevators can be extremely unreliable, but they are so slow they have a capacity that is often reached very easily.
Speaker 3: You know, you gotta wait.
Speaker 5: Like if we were reliant today just on elevators and stairs, we would have a lot of one level ass places.
Speaker 4: Beautiful. Okay, it looks and we've got we get to look at the beautiful sky. There's never anything blocking are you? Manhattan is completely completely flat? Imagine a flat Manhattan now that would be fascinating for look good or horrifying, probably horror horrifying. But I mean, I'm not giving you the points. Okay, but you've got two more opportunities, so and I believe in you.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: Number two gift or a curse And this is from someone named Katie. Cancelation fees when you cancel or miss an appointment last minute.
Speaker 3: What's last minute?
Speaker 4: Katie didn't say whatever last minute is to you.
Speaker 3: For me personally, they're a curse.
Speaker 5: However, if you did not put in a cancelation fees, humans are disrespectful. Okay, your business will never get off the ground. If you do not put in cancelation fees. People will occupy your time and then not show up last minute. Every single day if there is no consequence. I mean, it's just the I mean there's no way, there's no way an entrepreneur can make it.
Speaker 3: If there's just no way.
Speaker 4: But for you, curse, it's a curse. You got the point. I hate them. This is what I agree, of course with everything you're saying, but I think you should get one freebie with the business. Yeah, the first time you cancel, they don't charge you. If you set up another appointment and you canceled, then you get charged three times as much. Then it's a real high stake situation. But you get the most people. You know, a last minute thing doesn't happen all the time. Yeah, so that you know, you get the one little thing and then you know you have to be careful from then on out.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But the first time, give give me a break, Yes, happen. Yeah, I got sick. Yeah, my family parish. Yeah, you know I have to cancel the massage.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So there are curse. Yeah, And I'm proud of you for, you know, despite having all of this evidence for businesses, you stood by what you felt.
Speaker 5: I also find that a business it's really thriving, that's really sought after they actually don't do a cancelation fee because there's always somebody their weight.
Speaker 3: They have a weight list of people.
Speaker 5: Just but but the businesses that are that maybe not so are really trying to build or really trying, or maybe they're just petty. They they have those those cancelation fees because they they're dependent on you showing up.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I think maybe the system just needs to be rethought. If you're a regular customer, you should get one free.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Then they're like they come all the time, give them a break.
Speaker 3: I mean, here's the reality.
Speaker 5: Someone can always say, let me see what I can do those words.
Speaker 3: It's so easy.
Speaker 5: So like you know, just go in your computer, your you you handle the system.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's so easy to negate this.
Speaker 4: Yes, okay, number three Okay, so you've gotten one out of two and this is you got to bring it home. Here from a listener named logan gift your a waiting to start eating when out at a restaurant until everyone gets their meal, even though the person missing an entree is insisting everyone else can start eating.
Speaker 5: Okay, So the question is is waiting a gift or a curse?
Speaker 4: Yeah, in the particular situation, I guess is Let's assume Analise, you and I are out to dinner. You and I have both gotten our food. Annalise ordered a crazy thing and it's taking a little bit longer. But Honalise is like, please reseat, and we don't a curse, okay, And.
Speaker 3: Why first of all, did I order hot food? Okay?
Speaker 5: You want me to eat lukewarm food because you know you decided to get the lasignon This says it on the menu.
Speaker 3: The LASIGNA is going to take forty five minutes to come.
Speaker 5: You got to put that order in before you get there, you know what I'm saying. Like, I was actually at a restaurant the other night, dare I say, maybe it was a date and my food came out first. It came out surprisingly fast, and it was piping hot, Like I saw this theme coming off, and I'm like, gott it. I mean, I gotta taste this. And the guy was like he was being funny, but he was like thanks for waiting, oh, And I was like, oh, but I never stopped. I was like a and I just kept eating and he's like, no, no, no, I'm kidding, I'm kidding.
Speaker 3: I'm kidding.
Speaker 5: But I think that when food comes, you should be able to eat the food, right, Yeah, I don't think you should have to wait, especially if the person is insisting, like, no, please eat, It's like, come on, what are you waiting for?
Speaker 4: Who is this for? Of course you're right, and there should. I mean, if one comes out and everybody hasn't gotten their thing, maybe let's wait two to three minutes. Yes, I don't know. If it starts to feel like it's taking too long and people are insisting that you eat and you don't, now you're creating a situation that no one knows how to handle. Yes, we're all like, what's happening? We want the person we're watching their food get cold and there. Why are they trying to be polite? It makes no sense. Yeah, I really think the whole rules should probably just be kind of forgotten.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 4: I mean, of course you wait a minute, Yeah, wait a couple minutes. You don't dive right in unless it's piping hot in the steam and you want a little bite. But for the most part, we're all adults. We know that restaurants, the things are coming out at random times, and food needs to be served, eating at the temperature it's served it.
Speaker 5: It has to be eating at the temperature is served at. And I think that if we if we reversed it, if we thought about it like dessert, Like no one would ever expect for ice cream, like somebody's you know, ice cream to come out and it's like, oh wait, because it's like we have a clear indication, yeah, that this thing is gonna melt. But I think people are more comfortable with eating something that was once hot and not hot anymore. But it's something that starts out cold and now it's just melted in.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's a better People are more willing to settle if it got cold. Yes, yeah, but you shouldn't have to. Yeah, that's why we're at a restaurant to have a good time. Yeah, okay, you got two out of three. Yeah, not bad.
Speaker 3: I feel like a winner.
Speaker 4: I mean, the escalator thing, you're just bombed, unfortunately, but I'm glad to see you turn it around in such a big way. This is the final segment of the podcast. It's called they Said No Emails, people write into I Said no Gifts at gmail dot com with question Scalore and you know, I like to give back to the community, so I'm answering the questions, I'm helping, I'm doing whatever I can, and I'm going to force you to help me. Okay, is that okay?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Okay, This says hello bridger and disrespectful but redeemed and esteemed guest.
Speaker 3: Oh that's yeah, incredible they know.
Speaker 4: They knew as someone who accepts gifts on a podcast, how have you trained yourself to stay composed and accept gifts so gratefully. I am quite a shy person and find being center of attention whilst accepting a gift quite overwhelming. My family think I'm quite quirky, so that paired with eccentric family members that give me totally off the wall and dare I say, undesirable gifts, it can be quite difficult to disguise my surprise and dislike we're not done. I'm very fortunate to have such giving family members, and of course I adore them, but they're incredibly strong personalities, so any birthday event really put you on the spot. A good example of this happening in the past was my aunt hyping up the gift she was going to give me for a month in advance. She was incredibly excited, and on the day I was pasted a big cardboard box with twelve family members staring back at me. I opened it to find a polystyrene head painted and styled to look just like me, wig glasses and everything. I struggled to disguise my shock and horror and felt like Brad Pittens seven. I was so embarrassed that I turned beetroot red, and the family bombarded me with so many questions about it that I couldn't just politely accept it and felt forced to admit I didn't like the polystyrene head sat in the middle of the table. Eventually, I was reduced to tears as I just wanted to make my aunt happy and didn't want to make a big thing about it. I understand this is a loaded question that involves grace and decorum and how to navigate friends and families, but I hope you can help. If not, it makes for a gift horror story for your listeners at least, I hope you both have a wonderful week, and thank you for such a wonderful podcast. You're so welcome. Warmest regards, Alice in England. I love when people put where they're from, you know, it just really tells us who we're talking to this. I've just read you a book. Yeah, and now we've got to look at it critically. It seems like Alice gets a bunch of horrible gifts. This family is bad at giving gifts, and she has kind of led them on because it sounds like the system does not stop and it's kind of maybe peaked at this terrifying hit in a box. What does she do? What is the question forgotten?
Speaker 3: I think it was twofold.
Speaker 5: I think she is a person that has anxiety around just receiving gifts because she said that she is not used, she is not used to or doesn't really handle being the center of attention.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: But then on.
Speaker 5: Top of that anxiety, she is a part of a family unit that is eccentric, and so not only do they shower her with gifts, but they are gifts that she doesn't necessarily want.
Speaker 4: Or like beautifully summed up. Okay, well, first of all, how to get a gift with grace? You're born with it, That's all I can say that. It's not something you learn, Yeah, it's something deep inside you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Otherwise you're kind of like an animal. The rest of society is animals, but the select few of us who are graceful. I assume you're good with accepting a gift.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean said right. I'm not gonna say I ain't got no grace.
Speaker 5: I will say that I am not a person that enjoys being gifted things. But I will probably say it's because I don't know. I just you leave a lot up to a person to get give you a gift, you know, like most times, which is I think it's amazing with you because every week someone shows up and gives you something, and I imagine that it's mostly things you don't want or need.
Speaker 3: You know, you have to say it. I say it for I'm sure.
Speaker 4: Avocate for me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we should start an Etsy shop, you know, of all the things that you need to.
Speaker 4: Get rid of, you know.
Speaker 5: But I do know how to keep a poker face, and I do exist in gratitude most times, so I know how to be gracious and just say, oh, thank you so much, you know, for this thing, whether I love it or don't love it, thank you so much. But okay, so that's one thing, right, that's just like get used to it if you're not born with it, you know, as Bridges said, get used to it. Get used to people trying to do something.
Speaker 3: Nice for you. Sure right, just get used to it, you know.
Speaker 5: I think that's like an esteem thing too. You don't think you deserve nothing.
Speaker 3: There's people out in the world to think they deserve everything.
Speaker 4: I'm watching their careers, Skye.
Speaker 3: I'm saying, so you.
Speaker 5: Gotta think that you are deserving of at least the thought that someone would want to give you something. I think that it really that anxiety is rooted in like your self worth.
Speaker 4: Interesting. I feel like like you've really gotten to the root of alice. It's a nice title for something, the.
Speaker 3: Root of Alice in London.
Speaker 5: But now, then the the second part of this is being a part of a family who never gives you gifts that you like. And I think that that also is rooted in the same thing, because you're self worth and self love. When you kind of tackle that and your self esteem, then you'll speak up.
Speaker 4: And let people know what you will say.
Speaker 3: Listen, and you've used a lot of energy this past month.
Speaker 5: To hype up yes, something that really I don't fancy. Let's use this as a learning lesson. It's something we should not do in the future. With love and respect and grace. Thank you, but no thank you.
Speaker 4: There's nothing more in the world that I want to do than open a gift and while holding it, say, let's look at this as a learning lesson. Can you imagine the power you would.
Speaker 3: It's like, you know, people don't listen.
Speaker 5: I've gotten bad gifts from people, and then when they in the feud, and you know, after that, I'm like, Oh, you don't have to give me anything. Oh no, no, no, don't you know what I'm saying? Oh do you want me? I'm gonna stop by? Do you want me to bring you over something? I know what you're gonna bring is never something I want her? E Oh no, no, no, I got everything on no no.
Speaker 3: You know when you go really deep into like a Barretts, So it's like.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, please, and they don't get it.
Speaker 4: They'll never get us.
Speaker 3: They still show up with you know, allive. I don't know.
Speaker 4: Look, it's happened to me probably one hundred and eighty five times on this podcast, so I know where you're coming from here. I feel like we answered Alice's question. Well, I feel like you answered it. I kind of just leaned back and sipped my drink, which felt incredible, nailed it. I mean, I'm gonna tell Alice to get a hold of herself. Yeah, crying over the gift. The hysterics have got to stop, Alice. Yeah, I mean you're ruining everyone whatever event that was. Yeah, let's let's try to get a grip.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Okay again, you answered it perfectly. I got to watch you just kind of.
Speaker 3: But it's but it's your addition is like it's great.
Speaker 5: It's like, come on, Alice, come on, Alice, forget about them. This is actually about you.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, a thousand. You know this family isn't to blame.
Speaker 3: You, No, they they I mean, you know, we'll tackle them another time.
Speaker 4: They're each gonna write an individually, probably send a head to the podcast. Who knows what they're capable of, their sick people. Okay, I'm so glad you have gotten a gift that I can use.
Speaker 3: You know what, I just realized what this is open?
Speaker 4: It's open, it's open, It's I trust you.
Speaker 3: I'm like, oh, did I grab the open one.
Speaker 4: I cannot wait for this to be used in court. My family crying behind you.
Speaker 3: Call this episode tacky, get.
Speaker 4: But it's open but not you, and it's completely or you taste it and you were like, oh my god, I've got to get rid of this.
Speaker 3: I'm like, how did that happen?
Speaker 4: Interesting? Let's hope you're the one that opened it. That's all I'm saying. If this was open to the factory and I'm a victim of the tea killer, mmmm, that would be a way to go. I'm fine with that.
Speaker 3: I have so many of them.
Speaker 4: Let this be a sign that you're out of control. You've got to get a handle of yourself. Use the tea you've got before you order more.
Speaker 3: Coming to Bridge's et Sea shop and Caliba.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Calibash Teas. I will be drinking both. Okay, I've wonderful time with you. This is fantastic, this is great. We're covered in sweat. Let's be honest. My shirt is gonna have to be changed. But I'm happy you came, thrilled, happy to be here.
Speaker 3: This is wonderful.
Speaker 4: Listener. The podcast is over. It's going to be very quiet soon, so you've got to figure out what happens next. I believe in you. You know I'm pushing you out of the nest. Fly away. I love you, goodbye, I said no gifts is an exactly right production. It's produced by our dear friend Annalise Nelson, and it's beautifully mixed by Ben Holliday. And we couldn't do it without our guest booker, Patrick Kottner. The theme song, of course, could only come from miracle worker Amy Mann. You must follow the show on Instagram. At I said, no gifts. I don't want to hear any excuses. That's where you get to see pictures of all these gorgeous gifts I'm getting. And don't you want to see pictures of the gifts?
Speaker 2: Lie in?
Speaker 3: Why did you hear?
Speaker 2: Though? A man?
Speaker 1: Myself perfectly clear? But you're I guess Tom, you gotta come.
Speaker 2: To me empty?
Speaker 1: And I said, no, good, that's your own presences presents enough. I already had too much stuff, So how
Speaker 3: Do you dare to surbey me