Speaker 1: I'm Tari's Mexi and you're listening to the seventy six Ers Insiders podcast.
Speaker 2: This podcast is part of the seventy six Ers podcast network, presented by Stern and Cohen Law.
Speaker 3: Search seventy six Ers Insiders wherever you get your podcasts. Suffering an injury at work can cause physical pain, but also great uncertainty about your rights. You need to retain a worker's compensation law firm that is a winner like our sixers, a firm that gets some of the best settlements, but is also willing to go toe to toe with the insurance company. No settling on the cheap. This is Philly. We have grit and fight in us. Call the workers Compensation law firm of Stern and Cohen or visit their site Sterncohenlaw dot com. The consultation is free. Stern and Cohen are the official partners of the seventy six Ers. They'll go ring the insurance company's bell.
Speaker 4: We are joined court side by Rickie Council Ricky Toma. Get us across the way. Another great game. Congratulations, what an effort tonight, Sixers Crown the cave was your thoughts?
Speaker 1: In general?
Speaker 5: I keep talking about stack and wins stacking days together. Man, were on the lowas streak right now. We just gotta keep it going. The main thing is the main thing, and that's winning. That's all we're trying to do right now.
Speaker 4: One thing, like for a guy in your position, and that is to come in off the bench. You kind of have a cench, kind of a feel for what your team needs. Usually for you, it's an injection of energy, fight, spirit, speed, and tonight I thought you really made an impact in that area against Sacramento. They weren't ready for the thrust of what you put on them in the game.
Speaker 6: Would you agree?
Speaker 1: That's right?
Speaker 5: Man, I'm just trying to play my game, try to stand in the control and trying to stand on the floor. That's the main thing I care about. Three things. I want to win, I want to play the system minutes and so yeah, I mean, shoot, I'm just trying to stand on the floor. So I'm trying to do the right things.
Speaker 4: And we were saying, like over the last say ten days, up until the last two nights, your minutes were down a little bit for sure, So and how do you I mean, does that really that did that motivate you? Like how did you come back and play the way you did over the last two games.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I always use little things as motivation.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 5: That's kind of been my battle all year. Kind of consistent minutes, that's that's my goal. That was my goal to the beginning of the year. It took some time and it's still not consistent. Yeah, but I'm trying to get there. I'm more importantly, I'm trying to win, so right, whatever I need to do to help the team win, that's what I'm gonna do. But being on the floor doing it is even better.
Speaker 4: Just continuing on that theme a little bit, like for young players, for anybody, like in this league, like nothing is guaranteed, even your confidence.
Speaker 1: Your confidence may.
Speaker 4: Come and go, and you gotta be able to, like, like you say, almost trick yourself into motivating.
Speaker 1: You're fighting a different way, do you agree.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm one of the most confident people I know, and I say that respectfully and I'm not even being biased. So it's hard, man, It's hard.
Speaker 6: It's hard.
Speaker 1: There's fac shit, but you know, you gotta stick with it. Man.
Speaker 5: It's been it's been a bumper year for me. It's been a bumper year for the team to be honest, but we just gotta keep you. Gotta just gotta keep pushing. That's that's how I grew up. That's all I know, gott pushing.
Speaker 1: Good job, Ricky, thank you so much. Congratulations. Way to go for siate, y'all, you're still Philadelphia. Seventy six Ers Postgame Show presented by the Parks Casino.
Speaker 4: MAXI double oh Baby, love cha to beat on the back Dunn again, wiping on your powers Filets flaps of the seventy six Ers postgame Show right now on ninety seven to five.
Speaker 1: The fanatic.
Speaker 3: All Right, the seventy six Ers win messaging being shown throughout the arena here in Philly after a one seventeen one oh four victory over the Sacramento Kings. It was a back to back. They've now beaten the Lakers and the Kings in consecutive nights, and the Sixers have won four straight games overall. This is our Parks Casino postgame Show. I'm Matt Murphy. We'll hear from Tom McGinnis and from Nick Nurse. It's a season long six game homestand for the Sixers that has started two to oher. It'll be Denver up next on Friday, the Celtic schedule to come to town on Sunday evening. Maxi led the way again with a game high thirty points on a night the Sixers shot almost fifty forty ninety as the in basketball in the basketball world. That's what you're looking for from the field from three and from the foul line fifty two percent, forty one percent and eighty six percent from the line, nineteen of twenty two at the foul line, single digit turnovers. They produced eight steals themselves. Maxi had thirty points with eight assists. Kyle Lowry in double figures with thirteen points and eight assists, matching Maxi for team high honors in that category. So with the thirty, Maxi has extended that streak of consecutive games with at least twenty five points. It's actually with at least twenty eight points to twelve consecutive games, which continues a career best run in that category. As he awaits the news on whether or not he will be an Eastern Conference All Star reserve, which we find out tomorrow if the NBA coaches are sending him to his second consecutive All Star Game this year, the mid February event will be in the San Francisco Bay area. Maxi leads the way again for the Sixers. The second leading scorer was fifteen points from Kelly Oubre Junior. He had twenty last night against the Lakers. He had four steals, the most for any player in the game, half of the Sixers total. With his fifteen points, it was a twenty eight to seventeen to fourth quarter for the Sixers to win one seventeen to one to oh four over the Sacramento Kings, who came in two games over five hundred. The Sixers, with their next win, will hit twenty for the season. They are nineteen and twenty seven. The Kings are twenty four and twenty three. Matt Murphy and Tom McGinnis here on the Parks Casino post game show, Tom your immediate takeaways from this one. They locked it down in the fourth quarter, the opposite of what happened the last time these two teams played.
Speaker 4: That was absolutely you know, like a really cut checked like great win for the Sixers. And then I'll say this, and this is not any astute observation about defense or whatever, but sometimes the other team just misses, right, I mean some of their shots were just way off and they had open looks. Monk had a great look, de Rosen had some I mean, am I right Like, they just missed some of those shots and it was totally advantageous for the Sixers. But again the Sixers like they did, they were Coach was able to rest Tyres throughout much of the early part of the fourth quarter because they were extending the lead or at least it held at like seven, And then I think helped Mexian. Then Maxi made some incredible shots down the stretch. He made a big three, those twisting turning left hand layups, the runner he made, so he had just enough down the stretch. He'd done the bulk of his scoring early in the game, but the effort and the contributions of the likes of Jackson and Kyle Lowry and Ricky Counsel and Yabu stepped up and Kelly uber Ray just just huge in this game for the Sixers.
Speaker 3: Tom, how much of a plus minus believer are you?
Speaker 4: It's it can be. There are times I'm like, oh, look at that, But there are also times where it's not indicative really of a guy's con contribution. You almost have to look at it and then case by case figure it out and why it was that way when that particular player was in the game.
Speaker 3: Would what would your verdict be on Ricky Counsel the fourth plus twenty eight and Kyle Lowry's plus twenty Yep.
Speaker 4: Now that's that's what I mean, Like they helped swing the ballance of the game because they played, you know, like Kyle Lowry just does so many little things. I mean you look at eight assists, five rebounds, hit a big basket, and then Ricky Counsel like his I would almost argue his he changed the tempo of the game. Here's the coach, though we'll find out more.
Speaker 1: Was really, really, really great.
Speaker 7: And the fourth man, we were just flying all over the place, got our hands on a bunch of tipped a bunch around, just just disruption. I thought guys would drive and somebody was there to help, they'd kick it out. We for the most part, challenged almost most of those shots, pushed them inside the line enough to make them take enough two's and and even challenge those at some point. And then then we did a much better job on the defensive glass in the fourth quarter.
Speaker 2: Two early in the fourth on paper right now should be really difficult for you guys, because you know, Tyres is on the bench or now Joel and Paul. I guess, is there any common theme that you think has allowed that these guys to succeed and hould the court it out at?
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, the probably the biggest. Well let me let me just I looked out there at the fourth and they had brought all their starters back, right, So he obviously was planning on us being kind of in that rotation we have. He left hay Reese with Reggie and Kyle some lately, right, Yeah, I was. I was pretty concerned, and I did mention it to my staff. I was like, we got to watch this. He's got all the starters back. We may need to. We had four guys off the bench in but they they started attacking the zone instead of standing around. We got in a little bit of a moment of standing around and looking at it, and it was so stretched out. We just kept telling him to drive the ball, and Reggie drove it once and then Kelly drove it. Kelly drove it. You know, We like we started attacking that pretty good.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 7: I guess they probably made a couple of shots, Reggie threw one in. Ricky played great, right, Ricky was what was he plus twenty eight? I thought he made some some key plays, and even even Bone thought Bona did a good job. He started figuring out how to free those guys up on the perimeter with the angles of the screens against the zone as well. That's what got those guys downhill a few times. And their defense was good.
Speaker 1: I guess.
Speaker 8: Ricky now, yeah, Well that that that Reggie Kyle kind of combination of coming in together as for whatever reason, has really seemed to be a good combination.
Speaker 7: You know, they've they've either held the ford or or you know, extended the lead or whatever got us back in whatever they've they've they've been a rarely been a minus, right, it's always been even or higher. And some of them, like tonight, you know you can see the plus minus. There's some big ones there. So they took it from what were down eighty sixty eight or something like that, and then all of a sudden we took off and I don't know what was that about a thirty to ten run or something like that. So those guys were a big part of that.
Speaker 3: Big runs and the layed first quarter, then l corresponded with Reggie and Kyle coming in.
Speaker 6: What did you think about them changed the dynamic the game?
Speaker 7: Well, I'm not sure. I just I just think that the start of the game, the first six minutes of the game, in the first six minutes of the third, for whatever reason we were we were just it was just transition fest for them, right, for whatever reason, we couldn't get back and couldn't get matched up and whatever, and probably just probably just defensive organization to start with it. We got our guys back and we got the ball slowed down a little bit. That probably where it started. And then again, I think I always say this, and I thought it was true. The big run to start the third was because we were staying around looking at the zone. Now, we did get some wide open threes, I think three in a row. Didn't make any of them, but those long clank misses and they're going, they're going the other way, and we're we're on our heels.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 7: You were pretty aggressive right off the bat with Travi Tares just it seemed like we need pretty good.
Speaker 1: Decisions on I.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we we were good. We you know, they have been aggressive, really aggressive here recently. Obviously, we had a little problem with it at the end of the game there, so we we did, uh, you know, pregame. We went out on the court and worked on some things. But I got yeah, tyres again made the reads the right plays. Thought he was really good at the at the throw ahead, he was just right when he's getting blitzed. He was throwing it ahead and then it was going into the center, and it was it was either a cut for a dunk or a wide open corner three, which is it's kind of our goal when we get blitzed, we want a dunk or a catch and shoot three. And they did it almost. We did it almost every time they blitzed us. So and I mean usually Tyrese will sometimes he'll shy away from it because they're blitzing him. But he just he just kept calling for it and was just ready to make the next play and get everybody involved in it. I thought it helped us and gave our gave our other guys, like, you know, really good opportunities.
Speaker 3: Maxi leads the way with thirty for the Sixers coach Nick Nurse. This is the Parks Casino postgame show after a one seventeen to one to OHO four Sixers win for their fourth straight overall. They beat the Sacramento Kings here in Philadelphia. Matt Murphy and Tom McGinnis back with you. He covered a lot of ground there, including the players who came in off the bench and contributed, and that duo of Kyle Lowry and Reggie Jackson. It just so happens when when they played together recently, there's a lot of zone going on in the game at those times, and really in this game both ways, right, how many times did you call out his own tonight for the Kings on that side?
Speaker 1: So it was just mad. The number was twenty five. I had the over now.
Speaker 4: But those guys are veterans, right, they know they know how to the nuance, right, they know how to take care of things. And Jackson started being aggressive. He ended up four of eight. Kyle only took five shots, but four of them were threes. He made four free throws. I mean, he's just a winning player, you know, he's a leader. That drive on Monk was kind of endemic or you know it. That's how he plays, right, He just went in there and forced him to follow, and Can's two free throws which was really advantageous. So and again like to the point that they were asking coach, you know, they were in there and you know, helped preserve the lead a little bit during the early part of the fourth quarter when Maxi was on the bench. So like, this is just amazing that the Sixers and I give everybody the players of course, put the staff led by coach Nurse and all these guys with the scheme and the game plan and adjusting during the game. Like right there, like he was just telling you see these drives Like it was like, guys, like that's what he was telling them, like, we need to attack this zone. And then they went out there and implemented that and it made it different. So and look, and Sacramento has been playing really well, really.
Speaker 3: Well, and we talked about the fourth quarter defense holding them to seventeen. In the Doug Christie era, if you will, the last fifteen games, he's eleven and four.
Speaker 6: Now eleven and five is a month.
Speaker 3: In the era, they were averaging one hundred and twenty one plus points per game, second best in the NBA. They score one hundred and four tonight, and they're healthy. I mean, other than Doug McDermott, who had an illness. Their core group is there and they're outscoring mostly every and that's the team that the Sixers without Himbiid, without Paul George, Caleb Martin, Andre Drummond, kJ Martin and Jared McCain just held to one oh four and they're going to need that defense on Friday Night against the Nuggets in the rematch, who put one forty four on the Sixers that spurred this four game winning streak in some ways for the Sixers, they were not happy after that one on Tuesday of last week. By that time, we'll also know if Maxi is an All Star reserver, if he'll have an added chip on his shoulder. But with the Nuggets coming in transition, defenses of the utmost importance, right.
Speaker 4: For sure, and just you know, kind of revisiting this game, just you know, we're kind of figuring some things out, like going back and like the deflections and the pressure. Like Sacramento they had like a lot of not on target passes right like they're toward the end there, Like that Monk passed to de Aaron Fox, it was at his feet and they ended up going out of bounds. So those weren't unforced. Here I talk about some of their misses where they had great opera clean looks and they didn't make them. But overall, the Sixers defense was great. And you're right, like, in the wake of that one hundred and forty four point, you know game, there wasn't a great defensive effort by the Sixers, you know, and that happens, but you know, also as a result, things change. The Sixers have come back with a more considered an effort and it's been a big difference. Now beating them will be, you know, a huge challenge. I mean, look at the their home games, but you got Denver and the Celtics, the Mavericks, I mean, they're a little down without Luca and Lively and Kyrie's been in and out. But then Miami. So they're tough games, but just a grit in the fight. And this has been an amazing stretch for the Sixers. When it's going good, you lean in, baby.
Speaker 3: And they're right there with Chicago. When it comes to that play in tournament, Chicago lost, right, but they have a four to seventeen winning percentage to the Sixers four thirteen, So they're still in the tenth spot.
Speaker 6: But the Sixers are are closing in.
Speaker 3: They have one fewer win, one fewer loss than than the Bulls right now, and they'll look for win twenty on Friday against Denver.
Speaker 6: Tomcginnis. Thank you, sir, all right, good night, Murph thinks.
Speaker 3: Thirteen point win for the Sixers one seventeen, one oh four over the Kings despite a triple double for Sabonis his eighth of the season, thirteen points, fourteen rebounds, eleven assists. His rebounds and assists were the most for any player. The Kings did out rebound the Sixers forty six thirty five, but they shot us forty four percent twenty four percent from three, ten of forty one, and they were eighty two percent at the line fourteen of seventeen. So the Sixers were forty one percent from three compared to Sacramento's twenty four and then fifty two percent overall to their forty four and they win one seventeen, one oh four. We'll have audio highlights, stats stat of the game when we continue on. This is the seventy six Ers Parks Casino post game show. It was the second night of a back to back here in Philadelphia. The fifth back to back in the month of ja January is complete, and we're about to jump right in in a second to how it sounded how it went down the Sixers and the Kings in Philadelphia. The Sixers will have five more back to backs later this season in March, but let's do jump back into the highlights here on our Parks Casino post game show Matt Murphy with you at the center, and here's how it sounded. We're gonna go start to finish here as called by Tom McGinnis. The Sixers and the Kings in South Philadelphia. Sixers were again without Joel Embiid, Paul George, Andre Drummond, Caleb Martin, kJ Martin and Jared McCain. They started the same lineup as the Lakers game a night ago, Tyrese Maxi, Eric Gordon, Justin Edwards his second career start, second in a row, Kelly Oubray Junior and Gershon Yabucele Demontes Sabonis and the Kings in town. He had his pregame gathering and photo op with the Lithuanian fans with the flags in the crowd. They started nine to three on the scoreboard, Sixers took a time out. Derozen made it eleven. That was an eight to zero King's run. And during that Malik Monk, who had double digits in the first quarter, he made it a seven three Kings lead.
Speaker 4: Three from the right side, a round it out no Murray tips the Fox quickly down the floor to Monk.
Speaker 1: Monk goes in on Maxi, lays it up.
Speaker 4: And in what it outlet by Deer and Fox from the backcourt and Monk rapidly down the left wing and the.
Speaker 3: Kings lead by four, seven to three. It became eleven three after the timeout. It was an eight to zero run. The Sixers were then down twenty nine to twenty with ninety less than ninety seconds left in the opening quarter. They went on an eight to one run to end the first quarter, and it was capped with a rookie connection on a high low play. As Tom describes, the young guys, Bona and Edwards.
Speaker 4: Ninety shoot for the Sixers, a four second differential Jackson's double to go to with den Bona download justin Edwards and the young guys produce Edwards with a slam two point game. Moments earlier, the Sixers were down twenty nine to twenty and it's a two point game after one sacrameto thirty the Sixers twenty eight.
Speaker 3: That the score despite twelve first quarter points for Monk, we heard one of the baskets Sabonus had seven of his fourteen rebounds in the first quarter. Monk would end with a team high twenty one points. Sixteen of those were in the first half, including the twelve right there thirty twenty eight. Sixers trailed going into the second quarter. Eric Gordon. He had a hot first half shooting the basketball. He continues to produce double digit games as a starter in the backcourt with Maxi for the Sixers and early in this second quarter from the logo for double figures and the Sixers first.
Speaker 4: Lead lowry with Gordon ow top two three zoned by the Kings. They're back line Derosan Lynn and Lyles. Here's errant from the logo, and it's good Eric Gordon with eleven points a lead to Sixers. May look a tray from the orange of the Flyers color schematic out of center court off the spectrum logo thirty. The Sixers had their first lead thirty three to thirty.
Speaker 3: Two, and they were deep his three, not just that one, his three first half threes. All three of his threes were in the first half on a fourteen point night for his eighth double digit scoring game in his last ten appearances. The three point distances for Gordon twenty nine feet, twenty nine feet and thirty one feet heading up to eighty nine feet covered on his threes in this game. Shout out to that stat from Kate Scott and the NBC Sports Philadelphia crew. Thirty three to thirty two lead were skipping ahead all the way to the end of the first half here because earlier in the quarter Maxy had an alleyup connection to Justin Edwards, who had nine points in this game. They had the Kentuck Kentucky connection going. But it was Maxy with the ball in his hands in the closing seconds of the second quarter and he beats the buzzer.
Speaker 4: Five seconds to go in the first half, Maxi driving at Murray, spins, hangs, fire, shoots, He's.
Speaker 1: God at the buzzer.
Speaker 4: Sixers lead sixty to fifty six halftime in Philadelphia.
Speaker 1: Are you kidding me? Max?
Speaker 4: You with the big first half seventeen points Sixers to fight trailing by nine lead at the break by four, their largest lead up the half.
Speaker 3: Seventeen points at halftime led all scorers ahead of Monks sixteen. Gordon scored all fourteen of his points in the first half of this game, but the bench would come up clutch for the Sixers, despite the Kings starting the third quarter thirteen to four to force a Sixers time out, and during that time Daron Fox, who had a quiet first half with seven he had a few baskets early in the third quarter, including this one in a five point game.
Speaker 4: Fox with it Sacramento going right to left the playoffense in front of the Sixers bench, Fox with a runner of the lane got it the Aaron Fox five of nine thirteen points. Excellent move there. They're shooting fifty three percent. They've really never tapered off the entire game, and they again play a zone.
Speaker 3: Seventy one sixty six game. Dearon Fox twelve of his nineteen points in the second half of this one.
Speaker 6: Third quarter.
Speaker 3: Ricky Council, the fourth one of those bench players who gave the Sixers a spark a steal. Kyle Lowry another one of those players. He lobs it down court for another Ricky reverse.
Speaker 1: And Fox turns it over. Here's Ricky on the runout row.
Speaker 4: What a damn a reverse twisting jam by Ricky Council second night in a row, and it's a three point game. And in action Lowry with a dish his fifth assists.
Speaker 3: Sixers trailing in these circumstances, in these scores, because of how the Kings started this second half and played in this third quarter, they would outscore the Sixers in the quarter, but only by two because of the way the Sixers finished it. The deficit reached twelve after the Ricky dunk it was three, and a DeMar DeRozan flagrant foul soon after about two minutes after made it even closer, and then Reggie Jackson in the third from three for the lead.
Speaker 4: Sixers have it with MAXI thirty three seconds to go. A basket would give the Sixers the lead. Lowry to Jackson, Reggie out top for three out of ten, Reggie Jackson having a bowl game, pi's four of six his first three, and the Sixers of the five point sequence have taken a two point.
Speaker 3: Lead twenty one to seven. Closing run to the third eighty nine eighty seven Sixers heading to the fourth quarter on a night in which Reggie Jackson scored nine points in sixteen plus minutes off the Sixers bench. Ricky Council the fourth score thirteen in over two twenty nine minutes. He was a game high plus twenty eight Council, and he was heavily involved in the end of that third clutch shot from Jackson eighty nine eighty seven six ers to the fourth quarter. And Kelly Ubray Junior played a vital role in this game. After the Kings were hanging around in a single digit ballgame, Ubra beyond the arc to stretch the lead to double figures.
Speaker 4: Back out to Murray for three. No good, you figure he's gonna make one of these. He's zero for five. He used to be automatic from beyond Kyle to Ubra quarter three up hits God, Kelly Ubray puts it in six Ers by ten, five forty five.
Speaker 3: He goes Ubray eleven of his fifteen in the second half, one oh four ninety four six ers. Huge shot. They made forty one percent of their three pointers tonight. Ubre picked a good time for his loan three. The team only took twenty nine. They went twelve of twenty nine, but that one really Tyrese Maxey taking over down the stretch. He had a floater at one oh six ninety eight, he had a layup at one ten, one oh two. And we know he's had a stretch of twenty eight plus points scoring games. Well, when he's on twenty eight exactly, he drives to the lane for thirty.
Speaker 4: Now, Kyle with it left side six to shoot six is by eight. MAXI with it, Max, he had a drive that converge. He puts it up left ten, it's in, Max, He's gonna win the game. Pop by ten seventy seconds.
Speaker 6: Ago thirty points.
Speaker 3: Tyrese Maxey putting them up one twelve, one oh two in the final score ended up being one seventeen, one oh four. Of the Sixers over their Kings for a four game winning streak. Sixers are nineteen and twenty seven. Now Kings are twenty four and twenty three. The Nuggets are coming in next and the Sixers will be going for their fifth consecutive victory.
Speaker 6: They even the season series.
Speaker 3: While they split this season series against the Kings, just like they did with the Lakers, they'll be looking to do the same against the Nuggets. Actually, follow up a road loss to these teams with a win. Here at the center, the Sixers win one seventeen, one oh four, and you're listening to the Parks Casino postgame show