Speaker 1: The guys from paying They've kind of showed me how much the equipment matters.
Speaker 2: I just love that.
Speaker 1: I can hit any shot.
Speaker 3: I kind of want we're gonna be able to tell some fun stories about what goes on here to help golfers play better golf.
Speaker 4: Hey, everybody, welcome to the Ping proven Grounds podcast. Shane Bak and Marty Jersen got Eric anders Lang with us and Eric, I was thinking about your journey the last couple of days into golf. Did it start with adventures in golf? Is that kind of your first step into that space, like the media golf world.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's like the that's like the evidence that exists in the world. But there's there was a couple of years before that.
Speaker 2: Okay, what were you doing before that?
Speaker 1: But you were a part of it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what was that at back nine Network?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, that network, babe?
Speaker 1: You remember that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? My fit that was my first step into TV was back then. Word.
Speaker 4: I didn't realize that you were that involved early into it. I mean, I know you'd had a part in it, but what were you doing with that crew?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: The only reason I was on Back nine Network, which, by the way, I can't believe that was your first foray into being camera because you were such a professional.
Speaker 2: Ill appreciate it.
Speaker 1: And I had the best time over there. But that was when we were talking about a film that is this kind of it's this kind of piece of lore. Right, So I was working on this documentary about golf and meditation, which has never seen the light of day. It exists, it's edited, it's sort of so they have a term in Hollywood for a film that gets made but doesn't get released, and it's called turnaround. And so basically, you know, the film exists, and we've actually had some conversations recently with the PGA Tour, whom is a large you know, they're entitled to a lot of the rights of the footage. So it's a lot of like mid twenty ten's kind of archive. But anyway, so that film was about golf and meditation, and so we did an experiment where we taught golfers of different skill levels to meditate with no other swing instruction, to see if meditation alone could improve your results in golf. And the answer was unanimous. All the fifty golfers who went through the study got better at the game. But that then then there's like a dovetail within that where I made this trailer to raise money for the film on like Kickstarter, and I got a phone call from the PGA tour and they were like, hey, you need to take this video down or we're gonna sue you. Gotcha? And I was like, well, I'm a child and I have no assets that you could get.
Speaker 2: You if you want to assume me, you can have like my shirts in a couple of kairs.
Speaker 1: Of I was like, my pants don't even fit, so taking them away from it was a thrift store guy. But then I got another phone call from a gentleman from the tour and he said, hey, this is SO and so from the PGA tour and I said, look, I'm sorry. I don't know what to do. You know, I'm in the middle of raising money and I apologize and he was like, what are you talking about. We want to hire you to be the face of a new generation of golfers, right, golfers changing, and we think your take on the game as a host could be interested. And I was like, oh, yeah, no, thanks, I don't want to be a host. And then he was like, well, we'll pay you to do whatever you want and I was like, never mind, I'll do whatever whatever I have to do to receive this job. So that was really the beginning. Yeah, and Adventures in Golf was the first thing that people saw, But there was a handful of years of becoming fascinated by golf, falling in love with golf, you know, just watching golf clips, and there wasn't a lot out there at that time in twenty ten.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, the interesting thing I want to ask you about you and meditation, because I mean, you were always trying different stuff and I'd love to know if you've ever tried to, Marty. But you know, the interesting about back in my network not to like talk about our past, but kind of feels a little ahead of its time now that you look back on it. I mean, this is twenty fourteen, twenty fifteen. I don't know how much you new about it, Marty, but it was a group of people that were trying to talk about golf in a different way and bring in younger people. And some of the videos and some of the even the some of the stuff they bought in, like those are the range Picker team and like the ones that would go out on the swamps and stuff.
Speaker 1: Like that.
Speaker 2: I mean some of that stuff now would would play you know well.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, actually, you're totally right. Back nine was sort of this this really great like roll up of golf content that right now you see it in st Andrey, right, you see it in Roger Steel, right, you see it even in Good Good almost like you know you're a great player, you were involved. I think it's hard to make something grassroots and real, like you think about music, right, like Nirvana that was started in a garage, that was just pure passion. And when you look at all the names I just listed, like individuals taking advantage of the ability to you know, create and post and host their own content, have their own POV, that's hard to do from a corporate standpoint, right, And so I think back nine it was totally ahead of its time, but it would also be hard to really, I think, maintain that sense of authorship, right. And I think on some level it was also just too early content.
Speaker 3: What content did you like?
Speaker 1: Eric?
Speaker 3: Just of older content, older storytelling and golf, like even before the two thousands, you don't do anything come to mind for well.
Speaker 1: I didn't get into golf until two thousand and nine. Ok. So I was like, actually not even not into golf. I was like anti golf, right, I did not want to play golf. I was not interested in the game. My brother, ten years older than me, was sort of the traditional golfer and I didn't want to.
Speaker 2: Be like him.
Speaker 1: So really not. But when I got into golf, Matt Janella, he was kind of this adventurer, storyteller, great writer, great photographer, and I remember me one of my good good friends from childhood. He and I had gotten into golf separately, and I remember we were both talking one day and we're like, there's this guy, Matt Janella who goes out and just plays these great golf courses and takes photos and writes stories about it. And we were both so inspired by that. And this was the time where Instagram had no video, right yeah, and you couldn't zoom into the photos and it was like I don't even know if there were carousels.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you only was like one picture, one photo, that was it.
Speaker 1: And so like Janella to posts a picture of the ghost Tree and he would tell you about the ghost Tree, and it was really like a really novel concept of like how can I learn more about this game that is like truly rich in terms of you know, personality, place, culture, all these things. And so Janello was really for me like inspirational figure in terms of what's possible.
Speaker 4: I mean, you think about golf now in your journey, I mean twenty twenty five and you're doing so many different things in terms of what you do around golf, Like what is your relationship with it now? I mean are you in love?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 4: Is it something that you love? I mean, it's part of your business, it's part of who you are. But like do you get excited to go out and play still? I mean is it something that you want to do on a daily basis?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've gone up and down, as I'm sure you guys have as well, right, I mean you spend every day kind of thinking about some version of golf, whether it's the business of golf or the golf swing or the equipment right or the content. But yeah, right now I am absolutely in love with golf, and I'm ashamed to admit that it's because I watched a thirty second swing tip that really just figured everything out for me.
Speaker 4: And now you sound like my uncle right now, my uncle's on Instagram like figuring out golf.
Speaker 2: On the thirty second YouTube, it.
Speaker 1: Was it's a video of Rory. I've screen recorded it so I don't lose it. And it's a video of Rory at night, like after sunset, and there's even bleeps in the video, like it's just a cell phone video of him talking to maybe his friend about his takeaway and how he's trying to keep his arms outside. And then the swing really is just one move and so and for me, I've got this.
Speaker 2: Problem the chicken for people listening, yeah, yeah, And.
Speaker 1: This is why you never want to emulate Scheffler swing. You don't even want to watch him swing. In my opinion, him and Norman and everybody just like, don't even get so anyway, this is this Rory. Rory's got the best swing on tour, I think. So it's so compact, and it's so the tempo is so nice, and he moves so well through the ball that I just watched that video about seventy times, and the last three rounds I've played have gotten lower and lower and lower, and as a six handicap, I can easily shoot mid eighties and right and still kind of be satisfied. But now I feel like I'm about to just sort of hit several rounds in the seventies.
Speaker 2: Marty.
Speaker 4: Your love of golf, I mean, it's your business, and I mean you've created golf clubs and it's been a big part of who you are. Does how you play kind of coincide with how much you like it at the time?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, Yeah.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: I think if it's like I get, I go in waves, just like you Eric, like little highs and lows. Last summer I was on a high, like I was into it, My kids were into it, My equipment was good. You know, I had a good groove on practicing, the scores were were showing up with the works. I was getting rewarded. I just got that momentum.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So yeah, but I've had other times where you got a lot of life, a lot going on in life, and you just got to let it down. But what I love about golf is a game for a lifetime.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So it's like it's okay if you have a bad year, like you can get it back, just put the effort in. I remember focus second twenty two I had that. I had a good summer and like you know, qualify for the amateur and do all this stuff, and then I remember the next year, the first two tournaments I played in, I played like a total dog and it's like.
Speaker 4: Is this who I am now? You know, like is this the golfer that I am now? And you have to remind yourself that it's that's such a micro version of who you are as a golfer, and like, look at the macro and what you're able to accomplish. I mean, you've done so many things, Eric. I want to talk about the random golf club because when this popped up, I remember it was a novel concept.
Speaker 2: I was very interested in what you were doing with it.
Speaker 4: And then it's you know, you were a guy like you've talked about being a country club guy and then kind of stepping away from that and wanting to following what you're talking about. So when you do these mad scrambles and you get all these people out of the golf course like Dobson Ranch, I know you've done that in Arizona. Like, what's the fulfillment for you at the end of the day?
Speaker 1: Oh man, I mean, uh, well, it's interesting to come off of the previous question, which is you know my golf game right right, and I have this kind of it's sort of a weird, weird take, but I actually think golf is an inherently selfish game for sure, which is okay. But the best example is you're playing mediocre. I feel like you guys are probably beyond this in terms of a social awareness golf, I Q standpoint. But for me, I've experienced this on my own, which is I'm playing below what I was expecting, and it's all that it's about. Yep, no matter who's around me, no matter who I'm playing with, Like.
Speaker 4: You kind of get quiet, you're not talking like yeah, and you're not being rude.
Speaker 2: Nope, you're not being like mean to other people.
Speaker 1: I'm sulking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're kind of in your own little like bubble. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And I'm allowed to salve for sure, because I should have made that putt. And there's a story of Bill Murray story where he's playing in a prom. These guys have paid ten thousand dollars to bee in his group and he's on the tenth te box. So he's halfway through the round and he says, look, if I hit a good drive, I'll be happy in jovial for the rest of the round. But if I had a bad drive. I'm not talking for the rest of the round, and you know, you hit a bad drive and didn't say another word. And I mean he's obviously, you know, involved in some other type of experience of being a human. But yeah, I think I think golf has that inherent selfishness too, where it's like my attitude and my ability to kind of ask other people about their shots or their lives or like what's going on at work, it goes away the worst I play, which is sort of I believe that maybe the biggest lesson in golf is to let my score and my ball striking be secondary to my experience. Yep. And so that's one side of it. But the other side is your question about random Golf Club is you know for me, you know, we host these great events. It's one hundred people come out. Everyone gets a chance to hang out and play and hit and you know, we all are on the same team and so we pretty much birdy every hole except for the holes we eagle. And you know, it's wild and you can be a part of something without even really contributing to whatever the score is. But but you're a part of this kind of like really like a metaphor of like, together we're greater than we are as a as an individual and so. And really the crescendo of that for me is at the end of those events, when people come out and they're nervous and you're hitting a ball in front of one hundred people. It's like not normal. Most of us out there are you know, high single digits, double digits, new to golf. And at the end of it all, there's this kind of glow where people realize they've found a group of people.
Speaker 2: There's a kinship involved in all the Oh you're doing.
Speaker 1: It totally and and and what's funny is very rarely if we were playing golf, three of us were playing golf and you topped it, I would laugh.
Speaker 2: I would expect you to laugh.
Speaker 1: And that's because that's something I've learned, right, is that that is what should happen.
Speaker 4: Well, I remember, you know, there's different cultures in the way we react to golf, and America is probably the most serious culture about it. But you know, if you go to like Asian countries and you've traveled over the world and played golf everywhere, but there is that laughing about bad golf clups. That was something when I caddied at the old course, you know, out of college, and you'd get these groups of players from Korea and you're being a bunker leaving in the bunker, and they would be laughing at their friend, and the friend wouldn't be taking it offensively, right, they would be kind of in on the joke. And I just love that approach to the game because again, I do feel like the moment your buddy starts going south, everybody kind of wants to step away from them because you know they're either going to blow up or they're struggling, or they're kind of going to that place we were talking about earlier.
Speaker 1: And that's and that's the unfortunate thing is because then as a spectator or a partner, you're co signing the sulk, right, And that's what Random Golf Club really aims to, like, you know combat, which is like, oh my god, you missed the ball completely, that's amazing. You know, you get a whole other shot and nobody cares.
Speaker 2: It's all good.
Speaker 3: That's where did you get inspiration? Where where do your ideas come from? You know you see them from in other places.
Speaker 2: Well, well, the.
Speaker 1: Random Golf club inspiration was really too experienced. One is I was. They happened around the same time. One was I was lucky enough to be married to a woman who insisted that we joined a private club. I said, fine, I couldn't afford it on my own, but but we joined and I thought it was great. And after three years I realized I didn't need to be a member there anymore because I just felt like there were so many other types of people that play golf. And I really liked the municipal golf courses in LA. They're so rich, they're so real, and the golf was fine. Yeah, but the golf was very The greens were great, and they weren't the problem, right, My problem was the stuff, and it's around the greens. And so I drove out of the golf course after quitting one day, and I just walked in the club and I said, I quit. I don't want to be a member anymore, and they were like WHOA. I was like, you know, everything's fine, you guys are cool. I'm cool. I'm just doing a different thing. And on my way out, the door opened and I was like, man, they're the gate. You know, there's a gate to the parking lot. I guess you can't get it. You can't sneak in, which is amazing. And I was the gate open and I was like, man, it'd be cool there was a club where anyone could play golf with anyone else anywhere. And then I sort of chuckled as I rolled over the spike strip, you know, and I was like, it'd be cool if it was called Random Golf Club. So that was kind of the original idea. And then right after that, I was in Australia and I had gotten a couple dms from some dudes that wanted to play golf, and I said yes to everybody, and after four days I had somehow accepted eleven invitations to play golf, and I realized, I only have two days left in this country. Let's all meet at Royal Park, which is a little nine hole executive course right in the middle of Melbourne. I was like, let's just all meet there, and so we get to the clubhouse on Friday at five o'clock. I walked into the pro shop and I said, Hey, what's your name, Tom, Tom? Look, is there any chance the eleven of us could play as one group? And he was like, no, ilet's say a problem with that, And so first hole little awkward, second hole less awkward. By the time we're at the ninth hole were old friends. And Tom comes out of the pro shop and he says, hey, I got glow balls. If you want to keep playing, I'll join you. So we play four more holes in the dark. We get back to the clubhouse again. Yeah, and now we got to twelve and then there were twelve and we get back to the press shop and he says, hey, look, I'll open up if you guys want to grab some drinks. We can hang out here forever, hung out till midnight. We all exchange numbers. And that was when I first saw. When I left the parking lot at Wilshre Country Club in LA, That's when I first saw how a golf club can be created in a truly random environment where all of us had really one thing in common. And that almost seemed richer than being a member of a private club where there's a selection committee. You obviously have a certain salary, you live in a certain area for some reason. You also happen to sell insurance. Whatever it is you know, whatever type of club you're at. Random golf club really seemed like there was an opportunity to just bring together people who really love golf. And the difference is that we have actually strengthened what we can learn from each other on the golf course.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, you did one of your mad scrambles at Doobts and ran. So when I lived in Arizona, I played in a money game. And we've talked a lot about Friday Adopts and which has kind of gone away, which is such a bummer, But there was a Friday honey game every Friday adoptson and what you talk about with random Golf Club is is very much like what the Friday game was Adopts and where it would be a group of seventy or eighty people and you'd have private club golfers there that were coming down from the Astantias and from you know, the silver Leafs in place like that to play in this money game. But I would play with a construction guy every Friday. And I would play with a guy that was like he worked in tech, and you could wear jeans, and you could wear a T shirt, but you could wear your polo.
Speaker 2: And all that stuff.
Speaker 4: And I always found that Friday game my favorite golf because it felt it felt inclusive, but it didn't feel like it was forcing everybody to be inclusive. It was like, you're coming out because you want to play golf and you want to play with this group. You might win a hundred bucks, you might not, but we're all gonna sit around and have some beers after and enjoy it, you know well.
Speaker 1: And I think also there's there's something about mindset when you look at you know that when you when you bring together that group of people, that there tends to be an optimism and that's really valuable. And I found like, look, I just as much as anybody else, Like I love a nice private course, ye for sure. I love great greens. I love like yesterday. We were at San the other day thanks to John, and I remember I was on the range and I hit I put my wedge away and he goes, can I wait clean that for you?
Speaker 4: And I was like, they like happened upon you at times and You're like, who's this guy?
Speaker 1: He's a cleaner guy, clean my club between shots on the range.
Speaker 2: Sweet.
Speaker 1: But there's honestly some part of that that I think, you know, that's not really golf, that's that's service, right. That's that's like a hotel or a restaurant. Golf is is just sort of going out and being like, where's the ball gonna go? And who do I want to walk with? And and that happens I think more often at places like Dobson Range, and I think that's why Matt and the team there has done such a great job and why I hope the next ten years seems sees even more places like that. It's probably like grass clippings. Wow, yeah, really cool, love it.
Speaker 2: Eric.
Speaker 3: Now, you started your journey here in partnership with with Paying. You talked about John John K Solheim, our president CEO. You guys started off kicking off with the break ninety at Pinehurst last summer. Tell us a little bit about that and what are you excited about with your relationship now with with us hare Ping?
Speaker 1: Well, Ping for me has long been h you know, a product and a brand and and kind of like I don't know, you know, you know, I don't know if you guys remember when before before you had the keys to golf, you know what I mean, when you were just like on the outside, you know, you're looking at all these brands and for some reason, ping always resonated with me. And it was the first set of clubs I ever bought. And which were they? What were they? I had? I had, I was misfitted. I got black Dot iTunes off Crankslist. Yeah, I had to regrip them. They were wrapped in a rubber band, you know. But I want to tell stories in golf, and I want to you know, be a part of talking about why I care about what I care about, right, And you know, going back to all the random golf club history moments like those are things that are about authenticity. Those are things are about real experiences. And you know, the more I learned about the golf industry, the more I learned that paying really is unique. But a lot of people didn't know that. And so that was really where I thought, man, Like, there's an opportunity to create great content with a company that cares maybe more about their customer than any of their competitors. And it shows up in all these different ways, right, whether it's the commitment to engineering, the commitment to design, you know, the commitment to the team, right, the staff that makes these products, the customers, the retailers that sell the products. You know, they're all treated differently, and so you know, the more I learn about all this stuff, the more I just got really really excited about it. But I kept hitting dead ends, and so finally I was like, I need to meet John. I need to meet John K. Solheim. And so we had dinner. It's almost exactly a year ago, and he didn't know I was, didn't know anything about what I do, and I was like, Hey, I'd like to propose something to you. And so that kind of began this process where I was able to get a foot in the door here, which you know, for me was really exciting and it reakes me really proud because I care so much about not only the things that we look at when we're filming, but also how people respond when we share it. Right, So we have this community that watches our content, right, it's like and it's like so rewarding for me to see that people get it, people get why Random Golf Club and Paying make a great partnership. And I think it's because of that authenticity and that commitment to quality. And so it's been really fun to learn more. And this is probably I guess I had never been to this location. You know, we're at the headquarters here as of January of last year. I've been here like seven times since, you know what I mean, And James got me fitted and like I've just really enjoyed the journey. So I don't know if I answered your question, but yeah, for me, it's just it. It just feels good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Marty.
Speaker 4: The wall always stands out to me. When you go on the wall and you see the years that employees have been here, it's always just so crazy, like twenty five, thirty, forty years, you know, and we talked so much. We have so many players on here that talk about the Ping family. Yeah, you know what, And it does feel I don't know if you get the same vibe, but I felt it for a long time. It's like you feel like you're a part of the Ping family now, you know, like like now you're in here and you know people's names and you know who does what, and you know when you come back, they're still gonna be here. Yeah, because they care about it as well.
Speaker 1: There was a there was a moment yesterday during the pro am where we were playing and you know, on on the our eleventh hole, the first t came out and joined us and they carried MATV mcneely's bag and at the end on the green one of the kids said to me.
Speaker 2: Are you part of the Ping family?
Speaker 1: And I looked at John and I was like, and John goes, I have the adoption paperwork at my desk.
Speaker 2: Clothes. It's gonna work out before we let you go.
Speaker 4: I did want to ask one thing about adventures in golf, and I know you to get this question a lot. Is there one destination, one place that kind of stands out above the rest for you?
Speaker 1: Well, we have been trying to get to South America for the last five years, and there's a whole like we we have like every episode scripted out. We know who's in the episodes. You know, we're down on New Shuaia at the southern tip of like kind of Tira Dope Weggo. There's a nine hole course we're in. You know, in Buenos Aires there's a an Alistair McKenzie course. You know. Uruguay you know has these like there's like these links courses. There's a course at the highest course of the world. In Bolivia, yep, there's an Amazon course right when you get a machete at the tea box. And we have literally scripted out these episodes we've were on WhatsApp. I know everybody in these locations, they're all aware of us. It's been hard to do because of the hemispheres. So you need to shoot these episodes in you know, December, January, February, March. If you go in this in our summer, it'd be too cold in these places. So but for some reason, the time, you know, it ever works out. I don't know when we're gonna go. I've never been to South America. It feels like a total tragedy. But yeah, no, I cannot wait. I speak just enough Spanish to get myself in trouble, so I'm really looking forward to that. Part of it too, is it's like, if I'm gonna go, I don't want to go for eleven days, right, I want to go for like a month and a half, correct, you know? And so that's that's my white Well, okay, South America.
Speaker 2: South America. Did not expect that to be the answer. That's cool.
Speaker 4: I know that no Lane up voice just win and the videos looked unbelievable from there, so yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Well, Eric, I appreciate the time as always a good catching up with you so cool that you're kind of what you're doing and your involvement with ping, and we appreciate it.
Speaker 2: This is the Ping proven Grounds podcast.