Speaker 1: Welcome back to another episode of unplug brought to you by Draft Kings. The crown is yours, but I just want to give a huge shout out to my brother Deshaun Foster and UCLA Football. We got a chance to team up with them this past Friday to do Friday Night Lights. It was success, and the biggest success story to come out of that is they landed their man, nico Ia Maliava. Close enough, Nico he landed in Westwood Man leading up to this. That's why every time I saw him posted, I'd put UCLA Football underneath it. But again, man, shout out to Deshaun and his team for landing the number one quarterback recruit in the portal. Things are changing over there and I'm really excited for him and I were happy that All the Smoke was able to be a part of that and definitely looking forward to working with them more in the future. Shout out to my girl Carrie Champion who came through and co hosted with me and everyone. We talked to the Carnell Lake and his son and my brother Mercedes Lewis got a chance to talk to DK. A lot of people were out there, a lot of former Bruin football players. So great event. Again, shout out to my brother Dashaun and this guy Thomas and everyone who made that event possible. Man, Huge success and best luck this year to UCLA football. Playoffs are finally here. And to dig into that a little bit, I want to bring in my good friend Rachel Nichols. Rachel, how are you. I've been seeing you everywhere You've been in practice around You've shaken a bacon.
Speaker 2: Huh yeah, you know, to keep it moving. Is that time of the year, man, the best time of the year.
Speaker 1: First up, timber Wolves came into LA and beat the Lakers by twenty two.
Speaker 2: Were you surprised?
Speaker 1: I was very surprised. I wasn't surprised that they want a surprise in the fashion which they won. And obviously they're not going to shoot fifty percent from the three point line the rest of the series. But fast break points twenty five to six. That kind of concerned me from a standpoint of Lakers just an older team and if they can't slow down, normally the playoffs are slower. But if you're able to get twenty six twenty five fast break points in the place game, you're really doing something.
Speaker 2: So it was twenty six years old.
Speaker 1: Well, Luca has never really been one for the lateral speed or defensive I agree.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying they're not an old team anymore, but.
Speaker 1: He still kind of moves like he's older on the defensive, not on the offensive end. But what I mean, what was your take from that? Obviously bron didn't shoot the ball. Well, yeah, and again I think people like Gina who's in here, who thinks, oh, it's over, Minnesota's gonna win. I don't definitely don't want to go that far, but it was definitely it opened my eyes a little bit.
Speaker 2: I thought the Lakers would end up winning this series because I just thought that they would outgun Minnesota in the end. That's how the Lakers are going to win any playoff series this year. They're just going to pour in so many points with such a you know, potent offense that they can make up for their defensive deficiencies. But where it falls apart is if you can have someone who can really drive the lane and make you pay at the basket, because they just don't have that interior defense anymore. And Anthony Edwards, I was really impressed. He was so disciplined because We saw him in the Western Conference Finals last year, after having such a good run through the first two rounds, kind of under the pressure of playing on that stage, you know, a good few games, but then kind of started to feel a little wild, you know, that sort of thing, got tired, but also just a little bit making that great decisions, and he made excellent decisions in game one. He deserves a lot of credit for that, and really just sort of pinpoint attacked where the Lakers were weak. And you say about the threes. Obviously they got to hit the threes, but the Lakers defensive plan ever since the trade has basically been leave three point shooters generally alone, the pack the paint because they just don't have an ad type presence anymore, and you can't hit them all. And the Wolves hit them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they hit him, and obviously Lakers, I want to say, Lakers hit fifteen threes. McDaniels, you know, had a very solid game, twenty five points. I think Randall came back to LA with a little bit of chip on his shoulder. I think that missed the matchup between him and Braun. Obviously that's a match up the Lakers have to win. And what were your thoughts with just Braun not being very aggressive early on.
Speaker 2: I can't tell if he's a little bit hurt because he tweaked you know, he sat out with that hip pome thing and then it looked like he tweaked it. Now that was you know, a good ten days ago at this point, but still, you know, I can't tell if his mobility is affected at all or just mentally by making sure that he doesn't tweak it again or anything like that. Yeah, And also you know, he is a different role on this team now, and I think he's very grateful for that. Yeah, but it is different than we're used to seeing him. We're used to seeing him. This is the first time he has ever in my memory, played with a guy who he doesn't have to be the guy in the fourth quarter. Do you remember? I mean, I don't remember a team he's played on where it wasn't down to him in the forest.
Speaker 1: And just so many times, Richard, it's the random stuff with maybe the ball will be inbounded tobron, he'll just toss it to lucer like right away, you know what I mean. So it's just like I think this is what he wanted, but obviously kind of figuring out how to play within that will be interesting and if any one can figured it out, it will be him, and I know, knowing JJ, these guys will definitely be ready for a Game two. But Minnesota came and did what they had to do. Even if they you know, they one one on the opponent's court, which is all they have to do, they can lose next game and still have home court heading back home, So it'll be interesting to see how they come out the Lakers come out next game. Thoughts on the series at this point I.
Speaker 2: Thought going in and I still think it's the most likely that the Lakers will overwhelm the Wolves with how many points they can pour in Lebron will have a great night. At one point in this series. Luca, of course, already scored thirty plus he will do that again and again we know he can drop fifty when he wants to. Indeed, so we'll just have to see how much Ant can take advantage of going to the basket. They're going to still need more from Rudy Gobert. I don't know if you think that's possible, and I just don't know if the point totals are going to measure up because I just don't see anyone who can guard Luca on that team, and we saw it, by the way, yeah last season.
Speaker 1: One thing too, before we switched series. One thing I think the Lakers did was they let go Bear off the hook too much. He was out guard on the perimeter. They didn't attack them. Yeah, and they have allowed him to stay in the game and then he'll get a lob every once in a while and kind of keep that rim threat on the offensive end. So it'll be interesting. Obviously, Jackson Hayzes only played eight minutes, so Jade didn't feel he was very effective, so it'll be interesting to see what the strategy is coming into game too. But I still feel like the Lakers will get it. It won't be in five, It'll probably be in six or seven, which I don't think they want to do because obviously they need as much time for Bron to rest and heal if he's a little tweaked as possible. So it would definitely be an interesting series going forward. Denver and the Clippers. To me, this was my favorite series coming into the playoffs, and Russell Westbrook somehow became the storyline of this game, which I love because I thought he got a bullshit rap for him somehow being the reason why Malone was fired, and you know the booth situation. But he was crucial down the stretch, caused a big turnover. But what did you take from the Denver game and the Clippers having twenty turnovers and having a double digit lead in the second half and not being able to close.
Speaker 2: First of all, you and I both really like Russ personally. He is a box chocolates though you do not know what you're going to get, right. I mean, for every game where he comes through, there is a game where he takes a shot in the last seconds where you're.
Speaker 1: Just like, please, what is going on right the ball?
Speaker 2: It's great that it worked out. We will see games in the series where Russ does not work out, but that's okay. They know what they have in him. Nicole likes him, and I think that really important matters. I thought this was a seven game pickum series. I had no idea, did not pretend going into the series. I knew who was going to win, and the fact that the first game sort of went like this as you said, and then went into OT I thought James Harden was fantastic. We actually for all the smoke. Talked to him a couple of days ago going into the series, and I think it is underrated what he has done this season because it's not a please, it's not a one to one. Okay, it's not exactly the same scenario, but I look at what happened in Philadelphia right where you had sort of the guy who's considered the main guy, embid had this unreliability health issues right, and nobody including Paul George unfortunately could get And I think it can't really expect this because he was coming into the team, but he couldn't really get the guys himself, like all on the same page, him and Tyrese to be able to be like great, we're going to be fine without him, as long as it is that kind of thing. You had pretty much the same situation here in LA with first of all, PG left, so you have all that scoring gone and Kawhi was ah. I mean, we thought he might not come back this season. We didn't know if he was going to come back at all, right within it was just a totally mystery. So you know the fact that James from the very beginning before the preseason even like got the guys together in Arizona, which is cliche, but it does matter, I think, right, and like just kind of through the entire thing, him and Tylu were like, we're a team, We're going to be able to do this. And obviously Zubac the way he developed, So I thought James continued that through this game one. I thought Kawhi looked not quite as we know playoff Kawhi can look and the way frankly has looked in the last month, so you know, so I thought that was something that I wonder if they clean up and able to get him in a better position, if they'll be able to move forward.
Speaker 1: Differently, twenty nine points off of twenty turnovers, it's never going to be good. But to your point, I think just the way James has been able to handle the criticism and all the outside noise and kind of stay focused on what is needed, whether he needs to be the leading scorer, whether he needs to be the main facilitator. He's reliable. How many games did he play this year? Can we find out? I know he played a lot. Yeah, he was the one constant, and then obviously Kawhi playing well leading into the playoffs. I think he was twenty two and six last game. Harden played seventy nine games this year. Incredible, What is he thirty three thirty five?
Speaker 2: I believe he's thirty five.
Speaker 1: So I mean would he have thirty two eleven and six? I mean he came out and did his thing. One person I don't think talks about enough. We'll talk about a little bit later. As Zubats though, I think he's definitely in the running for most or he is a finalist or Most Improved. But the way he's been able to be a traditional big that in a game that doesn't have traditional bigs. That's why I kind of gave them the nod over this, because not that he was going to slow down Yokic, but he's going to have a lot of production from that position as well. So again, similar to the Lakers series, it's a little different, but I still feel like the Clippers are the better team. I think they're just going to have to show it.
Speaker 2: I think they also have a huge coaching advantage. Yeah right, Adaman may turn into one of the best coaches in the league one day.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, his dad was really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know how many games in he's coached four NBA games compared to Tyleru, who to me is one of the best coaches in the league by far.
Speaker 1: So what adjustments do you see the Clippers making outside of taking care of the ball that are going to help them in Game two?
Speaker 2: I mean, I think they need to feature Zobots actually a little bit more and kind of get him more of the looks that we get a hicculla work. Yeah, and I think that I think that Kawhi, you know, Kawi knows how to take care of shit. I mean, I think he's going to look at that tape and know what he needs to do differently, and Ty's going to continue to game plan. I mean he is. Jokic is the best player in the world, and there will be at least a game and possibly more where he goes for fifty or sixty. And you know, Clippers are one of the stingiest defenses in the NBA. But there is gonna be one game I predict where it just kind of all gets blown open. But then the Clippers are vets Man, They'll come right back.
Speaker 1: I mean, with that being said about Yo Kicic, when you spoke to James leading into Game one, there's a consensus feeling around the league that the players I don't want to get what did he say about how guys feel about the MVP.
Speaker 2: I just asked him sort of, you know, what their strategy was, and he talked about the defense, and I said, okay, well, lets you'll catch the best player in the world. And this is what he said, is he'll catch the best player in the world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, because he's he am passed the game in multiple ways. You know, obviously scoring in basketball, but his playmaking ability is rebounding. He's a hardcover, you know what I mean. Obviously you put traditional fives on him and he just you know, he shoots the three and he does what he wants. So there's gonna be a tough match up for us. Obviously we know what we're in for, but I think we're prepared.
Speaker 2: I like that no hesitation. I feel like players will across the league kind of recognize he's the best going right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, obviously you know Shae who you don't think you all you know things he deserves MVP just because of their record and what he's been able to do scorre and wise, but you tell my overall player and how impactful he is in the game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course, So.
Speaker 2: I thought that was an interesting distinction between Hey, most of us players think this guy should be the MVP, which, first of all, you know, I mean, y'all talk, right, so I assume that that's a cop conversation, but also that Joki is the best player in the world, which is something that you guys know drives me fucking crazy because we have you know, I filled out my awards ballot. I had to decide who the seventh and eighth and ninth best rookies were this season. That is going to go down in history. Who was the ninth best rookie for the twenty twenty five season? You know what's not going to go down who the best player was? How do we not keep track of that? And you can sit there and say, look, we all know MJ was the best player even when he didn't win MVP. We knew bron was the best player when he didn't win an MVP. But the truth is memory fades. There's a lot of kids who never watched MJ play at this point, and certainly back behind that and what we have were the record books, Kobe is not going to be reflected in the record books the way he should have. Absolutely, and that's a guy who was definitely the best player in the world at one point. We need to have an award for this best player. And it is not because I just can't decide between two guys who's going to win MVP. It's because it's two different things. And the fact that we don't mark that when I have to vote for the ninth best Rookie for the year twenty twenty five is ridiculous.
Speaker 1: As someone who's been in the weeds and has had the privilege of voting for a lot of the times, do you feel like from year to year that the goalposts move around a little bit?
Speaker 2: Totally? I mean Most Improved Player is a great example. First of all, the history of that at ward is phenomenal. Do you know what it is.
Speaker 1: I don't know the history of the war, but I just know if you're like a lottery pick or number one pick, how do you ever get voted and most improved like you're supposed to be the ship?
Speaker 2: Well, let me take you back. So this used to be the comeback Player of the year.
Speaker 1: Remember that that.
Speaker 2: You know why they had to stop naming it that and giving it out. It kept going to guys who had like cocaine problems in the eighties, and then they would sort of clean up and come back, and the league had to talk about it. Everyone had to talk about why they were the comeback Player of.
Speaker 1: The Year the Powder Award.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, So that's where it used to be. Then they made it most improved, which is confusing, very confused, because guys take a leap. You know, you have coaches who will tell me, I will never vote for a guy in his third year because that is what is supposed to happen. In fact, if you don't make the leap in your third year, you're going to get left behind. In the NBA, there are people who refuse to vote for anyone who is a top ten draft pick, saying you were supposed to be good, right, But is that necessarily have anything to do with improvements, right, Like, you can be supposed to be good and you can still make a significant improvement. Those are two separate things. Then you have people who vote based on, oh my god, this guy was like coming out of nowhere from last year and now he's making an impact, which is how I tend to vote. But it's it's a total crapshoot because we can't vote for the cocaine anymore.
Speaker 1: We're going to get into most Improved a little bit later, but before we do, let's talk Warriors Rockets, And before we talk about the game, do you have any insider have you heard anything about Kaminga and why he hasn't touched the floor in weeks?
Speaker 2: I mean I was going to say it's been the way it's been going, yeah, and that was.
Speaker 1: A sixteen and five and how small that team is, Yeah.
Speaker 2: You would think, yeah, right, So I don't know if ste feels like, hey, it's been going really well since the trade deadline. I mean all their numbers, not just their records have been so phenomenal. Why am I messing with that? And I respect that, But you are getting a guy who has had confidence issues now and then I don't know how you then activate him if you need him later hard at.
Speaker 1: This point, you know, too hard at this point, because you know he's young and he's mental. Yeah, everything is going to be mental. But anyway to the series, Warriors went in there and I don't think it was a surprise to anybody. I think Houston was the one and forty every year I feel like when young teams take off early, there's older teams and be like, Okay, if we play them in the first round, we'll be straight. And unfortunately Houston was one of those teams. Although I love e May and love this young team and what their mentality and the way they play, Houston was the one team that people are like, Okay, we can get them. And Golden State went in there and showed that. Shout out to Steve Kerr who got his hundredth career playoff win. Time. They with Larry Brown steph thirty one six and three hits some incredible shots. Great game for Golden State.
Speaker 2: Did you hear that Kevin Harlan call? Uh yeah, one of the stuff shots where he's like on the side, Yeah yeah, and he was like that should not be geometrically possible.
Speaker 1: Crazy. It's just crazy what he is still able to do for the game and just the excitement. I mean, he had the twins like we couldn't really hear the game because we got some music play and everything, but he just hit some shots that had like our whole house like, oh shit, yeah, like.
Speaker 2: Still are your boys that were like we know him, we hang out.
Speaker 1: With oh yeah, yeah, Yeah, they don't talk about it, but yeah, they definitely hold that as an honor. Thoughts on this series.
Speaker 2: I think the Rockets are a less talented and I say less talented because they don't have Lukudancic, but a less talented version in some ways of the Lakers now hear me out. Obviously not in playing style or where their strengths are, but they have one obvious hole that they need to fix this summer. And their obvious hole is obviously the opposite of the Lakers obvious hole. Right, Houston needs more offense. They just need more offense, and they've been hoping that it could be homegrown. I think some of it has been. I think they were smart not to shake up the team at the trade deadline or try to rush it, like you want these young guys to get the experience they're getting right now. But they do need this summer to make a big trade and go get someone who can just score the basketball. Who's out there, Well, we know Kevin Brants out there and his name has been connected with Houston a lot.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: He's not a completely different age timeline than those guys, but I have argued forever Kevin can play almost as long as he wants. Like his game does not age. And if you look at his numbers this year, I think if he had hit sixty five games, which we can also get into when we talk awards, because I think it's yeah, it's ridiculous, drives me crazy, he would have been in contention for you know, some of those all NBA spots or whatever on the third team. Like, I just think that he is a guy, even though he is a very different age than his teammates, would be who could give them what they needed.
Speaker 1: What is thirty six Kevin? Yeah? And still what twenty seven? And very efficient from the field.
Speaker 2: You know, the guy that would be perfect on the Rockets Devin Booker, Mmm, whoa I mean? And by the way, and they have a bunch of pieces right And by the way, it's a good call. If Phoenix wants to be better, they cannot do what Matt Ishbia has been out in the press saying they want to do. It is great that the owner sits there and says we're going to keep winning. We're never going to tank, We're always going to try to win. You have my word, you know, to fans that this team will be trying to win. That sounds good, It does not create a winning basketball team in the time of this collective bargaining right with the second Apron and the eighth Apron and all the aprons and whatever. You cannot have a team that has played the way Phoenix has and has the salary restrictions they have and just continue to try to make it work with other guys because guys can the contracts, can't get traded, Guys have different you know, things going on. You have to have balance, salary in, salary out all the stuff. You cannot do that anymore. So the thing you have to do is strip down the team, get your picks back because they have no first round picks to what twenty thirty one? Is that right, Phoenix, Phoenix, Yeah, twenty thirty trade, I mean that's insane. And get some of those picks back from the Rockets, by the way, who have them. So you control your own fate there. And look, I know that trading Devin Booker would be a huge hit for them in terms of the fan base and just sort of the loyalty factor. And you know, Devin iiholizes Kobe. He wants to be the guy who plays for one franchise the whole time, and he is so wicked talented that you know, if he was surrounded by the right pieces. Of course, he's young enough and to still win a title and be the best player on a championship team. I believe that, But I just don't think there will ever be enough pieces around him to do that in Phoenix. And he keeps saying, I'm loyal. You know, I always want to be in Phoenix. I always want to be there. If I were him, I would say, trade me.
Speaker 1: Put your GM hat on real quick. What would you do with that team? Obviously KD is someone who was most like he going to be out. You're saying trading Booker is Beal the one person that kind of has to stay because of his deal.
Speaker 2: Look, it's going to be very interesting to see what happens with Biale this summer, because what they are hoping happens is they don't trade Devin Booker because they don't want to and book doesn't want to, So I don't expect that to happen. I just look at what book could get if he went on the Rocket If like, the Rockets are the perfect fit for him. He is more on that timeline. He's older than those kids, but he's still like more in the in.
Speaker 1: The age twenty eight Corgett points per game, career playoff average. It could be at number one option on the best team, on.
Speaker 2: One of the best defensive teams in the league. Could be I mean that start title contending at that point anyway. But he's not going to ask out. The Sons don't want to trade him. The question is Bale, right, So they get rid of Kevin. That opens up some salary and by the way, Kevin also, I think it sounds like at this point wants to go elsewhere and Beal still on your books. Is what's ham stringing so much because you have no traffics right, So he has the no trade clause. We know about that. They could do the wave and stretch thing, but that is still on the salary cap in places that are going to hurt them. They need to see if they can get a trade partner who just wants him. That is the first problem. It's not the no trade clause. That's part of it.
Speaker 1: Who wants Bradley?
Speaker 2: Who would like Bradley Beal on their team at that salary? So you have to find a team that's willing to eat some salary because they're rebuilding.
Speaker 1: How does Bradley beal thirty one? So he's still young too, he'll be thirty two in June.
Speaker 2: Well, this is what I will say about brad and I know him really well from him time in Washington, DC, is he is not anywhere near as bad a player as he has been made out to be. He is just not up to that contract between the money and the no trade clause, and nothing has been fitting in Phoenix. So he has been the scapegoat because he has sort of been in this position and he isn't worth that much money a year, but he is still an exceptional guy to have.
Speaker 1: Twenty plus point gay game guy. And that's why I think sometimes it can be misleading because he was very instrumental in Washington, but they were empty numbers because the team was terrible, you know, once John Wall left, so he was still putting up those solid numbers. Again, I don't think and I think Brad Bill's a great play. I don't think he's a number one option on anybody's team, and he's getting paid number one option money. But to your point, the number decreases, I don't think it's because of his talent, it's because of just the pieces haven't fit right.
Speaker 2: And he's not, as you said, he's getting paid number one money, and people are just so focused on well, he's not worth it that they forget that he is worth something, and he's worth quite a bit. Yeah, it's just not quite that. So they have to figure out if they can get someone to take him. Then they have to go to Brad of course and say, okay, will you wave you trade caluse to go here. I think Brad and I have not had this conversation with him. I just haven't seen him in a couple of months. But my impression from what he said publicly is that he would be more ready to take a look at stuff this summer than he was a trade deadline. You know, he's got kids, doesn't want to pull in our school in the middle of the year, all that stuff. And then they started not playing him right, and the numbers with him on and off the court were so specific and remarkable that I think and they started benching him. And I just think that he has gotten the message, and it depends on who wants him. If someone wants him, and if it's a decent place for him to go live with his cham start.
Speaker 1: Phoenix now and they have such a great fan base and then a great city to play in, and it's just these new owners have come in and done numbers on some of these franchises moving along real quick. Boston, Orlando, everyone you know pretty much has Boston when thirty people have Boston coming out of the East. You know, Tatum went down with the wrist injury. Hopefully he'll be okay. He had a nice double double. White played really well. One thing I wanted to touch on was Pallo and how we're continuing to have the conversation about the face of the league and who is going to be the American player and we have our greats and Steph and Katie and Brawn on the back side of their career, and there's names. His name is not being thrown out, Rachel, but he has been nothing but absolutely incredible. What does he average twenty nine in the playoff? But I mean big six', nine six,' ten, the versatility he's. A dog Him and wagner have a nice connection, over there so really more, than anything and obviously they'll probably they're going to get Beat by boston the. First Round but i'm a Big, fan apollo and he should definitely be in the conversation of faces up the league in the next three to.
Speaker 2: FIVE years i disagree with you by, The way rookie Of the year launches you into that conversation from. The START so i think that if he hadn't gotten hurt, THIS year i think he would be in more of these awards talks and therefore like just kind of in that conversation more he Plays. In, orlando yeah like it took a long TIME for nba fans to get Up on shay yep because he played in the. Smaller market orlando is not your typical eight seed, or sorry seven seed is what they ended up after, the plan right? Seven, seens, yeah yeah they're not your typical seven seed because if they hadn't had the injuries that they had, this year they would have been higher up in. The STANDINGS so i feel like he can make a little bit of noise in. THESE games i still Think the celtics are gonna, win HANDILY but i do think that people will see him in these playoff situations more and.
Speaker 1: More understand his talent and understand what. They, got agreed best of luck finalist FOR The nba awards anounced first, Up, right yeah Finalist For clutch player Of. The, Year Yes, Jalen Brunston, anthony Edwards And. Nicola, yoki yep what do?
Speaker 2: You got So My clutch player Of the year Voting was, jalen, First uh, nicola SECOND and i Actually Put trey. Young.
Speaker 1: Third, wow okay.
Speaker 2: Because of a. Few things first, of all his clutch numbers. Are good his assists numbers in the clutch moments are obviously leading. The league leads the league in, Assists ANYWAY but i mean in those, moments PARTICULARLY and i do believe that that has. SOME worth i would never have put him one, or two but to just sort of signify on my ballot that being clutch in the last five minutes of a close game has to do with more THAN just i scored. The basketball he doesn't get.
Speaker 1: Their respect he deserves the mind Does. Not atlanta he needs to get Out. Of ATLANTA but, I agree I think trey is a killer across. The Board So, JALEN brunson I Had, anthony edwards, he.
Speaker 2: Did and by, the way he was the other name kind of in. The mix why do you?
Speaker 1: Have anything first and, clutch points, yeah first and clutch, threes first and.
Speaker 2: Defensive rebounds so that's THE reason i didn't end up putting him on the ballot was first, of all when you talk about, volume numbers that just means the team is in those. Close games more it's really about clutch percentages, to me right than the numbers of he is first in this. Many points and then, in general one Of the wolf's biggest weaknesses going into these playoffs was they are terrible in. The clutch they've got to be last of any playoff team in. The CLUTCH maybe i don't know if some of these seven or, eight seeds but like they that is Why the lakers will likely win. This series on top of everything else we.
Speaker 1: Talked about they're not but, he is and he May get he may will his team to a. Couple wins the team may not, be Shit but aunt has Has really obviously he is.
Speaker 2: A superstar and being good in the clutch will obviously be part of. His story but, this year with the way his team, HAS been i couldn't end up putting him On The About.
Speaker 1: Defensive player Of, the year, you got the Nominees Are, DYSON, Daniels Yep draymond Green And. Evan mobley this is.
Speaker 2: Very hard for Me because Victor webin yama should be The defensive player of, the.
Speaker 1: Year should be back.
Speaker 2: To back and this is one of those SITUATIONS where i will ask you if you WERE a gm IN, the nba would you Rather Have victor webinyama for forty? Eight games would you rather have one of these other guys you just named for sixty?
Speaker 1: EIGHT games i would have to go.
Speaker 2: Just, Availability okay so you think that's the biggest.
Speaker 1: DECIDING thing i think that's the biggest thing is because we need. That, Consistently okay and, you, know unfortunately, you know glad to hear that he's doing well and he'll. Be BACK but i thought he could have won it. LAST year i thought could have won it. Last year obviously him not qualifying. This year my Pick. IS draymond i think this is his LAST and i think he spoke to. US too i think this is his. Last window, you know he's. GETTING older i think he's, thirty five and there's a lot of young guns coming up that aren't even obviously in the. Final three, you Know, lou dort one of the Twins, from houston, you know and Then Obviously. DYSON daniels i think he's going to grab a handful of these awards before he's out of. This LEAGUE but i really. Like Him His dyson daniels just kind of coming out, of nowhere jumping on. THE scene, i, mean he, you know moderate numbers, last year but made a huge jump points per game and then three steals. A game i mean that's serious on the. Defensive end so it'll. Be interesting who.
Speaker 2: Do You, dyson daniels by, the way is my pick For. Most, improved okay he was at the top of my ballot. For, that okay not only because he has the best nickname going IN the nba. Right now you know what, it is.
Speaker 1: Uh huh So.
Speaker 2: He's australian you just mentioned the steals and all the. Other Stuff The Great, barrier Thief The Great.
Speaker 1: Barrier thief, come on that's. SO good i don't even know He, was australian to be honest. With, you funny.
Speaker 2: So good obviously he was buried On That new, Orleans, team yes barely saw. The court to be able to go and play the way he has, THIS season i thought that to me was what signified, most improved to be able to go from that to that and, not be as, you said a top three guy or something. Like that we can get into that in, a minute but THAT'S where I Put. DYSON daniels i did not put him On My defense player Of the ear BALLOT because i think for all the stuff, HE did i think other guys. Did MORE so i would have given Consideration To victor wibinyama if they gave it. To me if they gave me. That chance i'm NOT saying i would have voted. For him but this is one of those things about the sixty five game RULE that i can't stand because what if he played fifty five games and it, was like.
Speaker 1: Would you rather have? Six before he just.
Speaker 2: Didn't, Qualitz no i'm not talking, about That but i'm just, saying, that like what if it was because, We did by, the way have guys. Like that what is? The NUMBER the nba has said it as. Sixty Five if i'm a, general manager there are certain transcendent guys in the league you would, take LESS but i would take a less of but to have them on my team for a certain amount.
Speaker 1: Of, Time yeah and so, you're saying what is?
Speaker 2: THAT number i don't know what that number.
Speaker 1: Isn't enough out of. Eighty TWO but i get what. You're saying is it somewhere in, the fifties? Right, that okay this is not for.
Speaker 2: Those, guys YEAH but I mean Victor, WEB special i think is going to be a top ten player of.
Speaker 1: All time i'm not mad. At that so who is who is your pick? For Defense?
Speaker 2: Evan Mobley Evan, mobley, OKAY yeah, i know.
Speaker 1: Super, TALENTED yeah i mean can.
Speaker 2: Guard one through five in the end In A Victor webin yama vacuum that, to me, and look, best team, you know wire to wire In The eastern conference for, a while best team in. The league he anchors, that defense the way he has grown as a player in, THAT respect i, just think, you know, to me when you look, at choices none of which to me have. Complete, Cases frankly, oh yeah, You know draymond was on, My ballot but, you know if you look at the first chunk of the season and mom was not playing at. This level and we do have a little bit of recency bias when it comes to, these awards but, in theory every third of the season matters the same.
Speaker 1: Agreed most improved and this is going to be. A Conversation Obviously cad dyson And Then, ivan zubat who would you. Pick up i'm stuck BECAUSE obviously i Love what kate has been able to do for not only himself but, this franchise you know them and obviously bigger staff been able to kind of bring, this this this team out of the gutter and, make them, you know a formulable. Playoff team but at the, same time you're the number. One, pick yeah you KNOW what, I mean SO obviously i kind of look at that a. Little different no knock, on him but you're supposed to be, the man and he's been, the man like the no knock on it, this, like oh this is crazy HE'S been i think last year was what twenty four game and this year's. TWENTY seven i was, gonna, say yeah so he's he's been really. GOOD consistently i like everything you Said About, dyson daniels, you know kind of being buried and then finding his Way. With ATLANTA but i think someone that no one talks ABOUT in. La too there's always, you know such big, names stars but zubots what he's quietly been able, to do not just just, a year but the last few years is being a consistent double. DOUBLE guy i think he's at nearly seventeen and thirteen a game and in an old school with the new, school twist but like postplay is kind, of gone and he's someone that can be and he's not a, Liability EITHER like, i said he plays complete games for. This TEAM so I think i would Go with zubots to be honest, with you Despite what kid has been able, to do and what Despite what dyson has been able, to DO because i think he's he's someone On that clipper team that has been consistent and. Definitely.
Speaker 2: Overlooked, WELL look i had all three of the finalists on, MY ballot i just had them in a slightly. Different ORDER so I Had dyson daniels. NUMBER one I had zubos. Number two what are, We Saying, Zubach Zubots.
Speaker 1: Zuba, zubots yes oh It's, Not ivan i'm making up names over here Or Via, Big Zoo, big zoo and Then, YOU.
Speaker 2: Yeah I had kate THIRD because i DO think i agree with you, that again that third place on my ballot is OFTEN where i FEEL like i want to give someone recognition without giving them enough points to win. The award and that's the way the awards. Are tabulated you get like five points for first, place votes three points for second, place votes one point for third. Place votes so by giving someone my third, Place vote i'm never really tipping the scales for them out of one. Hundred voters i'm just saying from my sense, OF who i thought this was the best. THE season i thought he deserved the third spot on.
Speaker 1: That ballot coach Of The Year, chinny atkinson who smartly Declined the charlotte job and Stayed With golden state one a year and Got. TO. Cleveland, jb yeah someone who's some people say was unjustly fired and then landed on his Feet in detroit and helped bring them out. The slums and Then, e may one of the best coaches in, the game got, a young hungry team that has kind of taken on his mentality as, a COACH which.
Speaker 2: I love what do, You, GOT well I have KENNY and jb one. AND two i did give the third Spot to tyleru and it was HARD because i thought there were a couple worthy. Worthy Candidates he may would definitely have been fourth on. My list, You, know look. It's hard, everyone's, like Well Where's. Mark dagno and, you know he did win the award when he took a very young team and they made that big leap that we're talking About with detroit And. EVEN cleveland i think when you have the level of guys on your team that he has at, This point i'm not sure coaching is the. Main factor it is, a factor it is not the. Main factor so that's why he was on. My ballot, HE may, i think will win, this award possibly. Next YEAR but i, THINK again I think tyleru is. CRAZY underrated i think what happened To the clippers this year is a Testament To, James yes zubats to a lesser Degree and tyler, no question and to hold that team together and get them to fifty wins was a little bit of magic that deserved to me the. Third place something.
Speaker 1: About it i'm not mad At that i'm Stuck between kenny AND. And jb obviously the win increase for, both SIDES but i just LOOK at jb and kind of pumping life back into a. Lifeless team, You know detroit's been at the bottom for, a while but They've could they've slowly but surely been, putting young quality, pieces together and they've seem like they have a coach at the players believing and they're going to ride for and they're.
Speaker 2: Moving now so and they added some good vets this. YEAR too i thought that was really key because you know that. That, knowledge yeah it's underrated in.
Speaker 1: The.
Speaker 2: League man we just.
Speaker 1: Talked about we talked about That With reggie miller about just how important. VETERANS are, i mean that's what we can go on for ten minutes. About that, but, YEAH no i agree that they've strategically made some nice moves and put themselves in a position to obviously be in. The playoffs so.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you a question as, a player how much different is it to get from twenty wins to forty wins versus getting that last forty to?
Speaker 1: Fifty, wins YEAH it's i think that last forty to fifty is a, Harder, jump like you got to be a really good team to get. Fifty, wins yes to be fifty wins in. This league, BUT also i mean it's not easy to pull a shitty team into, the playoffs you KNOW what. I mean so it's, just LIKE and i don't mean shitty in a disrespectful they just haven't been good in a. Long time BUT like, i said you you can see in the past few Years what detroit has been, building towards and it's finally we're starting to see. That product, absolutely yeah.
Speaker 2: And some people will give it The COACH theater jb because they feel like he gets a slice Of that cleveland success, To right, we'll see there's no.
Speaker 1: Wrong answer, fairly last but, not LEAST. The, Mvp obviously giannis can be in The con there's guys that could be in the conversation. Every, year yeah, You, know STEPH, could Kd could Lebron could lebron's on that backside, of that but, you know obviously numbers and playing the right amount. Of games And then giannis is another guy that every single year will be in. That CONVERSATION but i think it's really a two man race In between Shay.
Speaker 2: And ic there's no bad answer, here EITHER and i think it's. Really interesting this was one of the hart Artist's decisions i've ever had to make as, a Voter and i've been voting for more than. A decade there is such hair splitting that you have to do to decide which category is more important to you because their numbers across the board are just rockstar and every. EVERY way, I mean yoka literally doing things we've never, Seen, before shay, you know having a more complete argument in some cases with both sides of. The, ball nicola, you know being so exhausted by carrying that entire team that apparently was such a mess they fired both the coach AND.
Speaker 1: THE gm, I mean nicola has better numbers this year THAN his mvp years in.
Speaker 2: The past by, the way So, does janis who's the third guy on. That list jannis can sit there and say this is THE best i have, ever PLAYED and i have MVPs in. My closet what?
Speaker 1: The? Fuck?
Speaker 2: Man, Yeah right what do.
Speaker 1: You think it is? With this do you think it sometimes you've voted for over. A decade do you think people get? Voter FATIGUE or i.
Speaker 2: ACTUALLY don't I think i think that is something fans have kind of made up for why you didn't vote for. THEIR guy i don't know anyone on that. VOTING panel i don't know any of my who are not Dazzled By, nikolai jokich who will not tell you they think he is the best Player. ON earth i think that just The way, james said that's kind of consensus, among players but that's different from who SHOULD. Win mvp, HARDEN said i think that across, the board this voting panel will tell You That nikola jokic is the best Player. On earth it's just how much of that did he deliver this season compared To what shaye delivered. This SEASON and i think what my prediction is that the voting totals won't be as close as the. Vote was AND what i mean by, THAT is i think that Every voter i've talked to took it down to the wire of, the wire some cases to the last hour the voting, was opened because it was just so hard to make that decision and it was such a. Tiny difference but those tiny differences from THE voters i talked to and some of the polls that are out there seem to have Leaned. Towards SHAY so i think you Will see shaye winning by more than fifty. ONE percent i think it could even be as high as sixty sixty. Five percent but that doesn't reflect close the fact that for a lot, of voters for, most voters it was really a, you know forty nine point eight and fifty point. Two, split no.
Speaker 1: THAT'S incredible, i Mean and shay has been like, you said there's no wrong answer what he's been able to do and continue to develop. His game and my favorite Thing about okay see is that team is. A, unit yeah and you can tell they're. A unit they, celebrate together they go up and. DOWN together, I mean i really. Like that and can this be the year that you know they're they're paying their dues finally. Pays, off well who would you have? VOTED for I think i, Would AGREE like, i said it's hard to Look past jokic because he is. So incredible as numbers are better across, the board he HAS to i feel like he has to carry it obviously a heavier Load. Than shaye but at the, same time you Can't fault shade for a young and up and coming team that he's the leader of that night in. Night OUT so i Would pick. Shay two, BUT again i think to, your Point into, james's point there's a difference between the best player in the world AND, the mvp and maybe the legal start listening and make.
Speaker 2: It just, say yeah that was one of.
Speaker 1: THE lt, i mean but both again both And again jannis. Incredible season we haven't Talked about giannis. As much milwaukee's kind of floating under the raidar On The, eastern Conference and dame's heard and they might, get Bumped but jannice every single year can be on, that, List.
Speaker 2: Absolutely and that's a case where they really need to take stock this summer of that team because there's a lot of pieces on that team that are frankly aged out of being championship Level and giannis deserves a championship.
Speaker 1: Level team we've heard rumbles though that for a bigger Market. For yiannis AND obviously i know, he's loyal, you know similar to way the booker, is loyal but, you know to to he's done everything you can do for that FRANCHISE. One MVPs he's brought them. A championship just being able to attract Players to milwaukee is not the attrack players that any small markets. Not, easy yeah, you, know okay he was able, to homegrown build and get trades to get. Their players so it's just like to get a free agent to come play with him is, not, likely Yeah, In milwaukee so it'd be interesting.
Speaker 2: To SEE but i think that eventually we May see, yannis, DECIDE hey i want to go. Somewhere else, You Know new york is always in, that, conversation right and he probably every once in, a while, you know. He's playful every once in a while he'll, be, like oh what did he say earlier? THIS year i think all the foreign players should play in. BIG markets i think someone asked HIM about i might be getting, this wrong but, about Like is yokich not getting as much recognition because he's a non dvor. OR something i, don't know but he's said oshe he was, JUST like i think all the foreign players should play in. Big markets and he throws stuff like that out there once in. A WHILE but i will, say this he wanted ding and they went out and. Got ding he wanted to make. That switch so the Fact that drew isn't there anymore and you can, see it And that dame, got hurt, you know obviously That's not yannis's Fault or dame's fault that he has the deep. Vein THROMBOSIS but i Don't think yannis is the type of guy to then turn around this summer and, be, Like yeah. I'm bouncing you did EXACTLY what. I, Wanted no and, you know by, the way the last time his contract was up previous to this one where they went And got dame was when they went And. Got drew so they have been responsive. To him But he ganis was injured, Last postseason dame the last. Two postseasons, so again he's not the kind of guy to me to right now, Say oh i'm out. Of, here YEAH but i. DON'T think i. DON'T think i think he may end up BEING. LIKE kg i think that he might be there for a really long time and then maybe realize at some point that this is. What's best and, you know at some point fans do agree. WITH you i think when you give everything to a franchise and, Fancy, that okay it's not going to, happen here they want you to go win. That, title, now obviously to, varying degrees, You Know boston raybork was probably the one the most where fans were, just, like yeah you, go ahead go go. Do that but to varying degrees people will. Do UNDERSTAND so i. DON'T know i will say one thing and this will get me a lot of flak on, the internet but is what. IT is I think yan has had an. EXCEPTIONAL season i think that that team did not coalesce around Him and dame THE way i would have. Expected TO and I Think jason tatum is UNDERRATED and i do not think that that team. He was, you, know look there has been questions both of those two guys, Whole career Brown. And tatum, Who's better, Who's this? WHO'S that i, YOU know i think it was right To give BROWN the mvp For the finals, last YEAR but I think tatum has clearly been more of the contributor to this team, this year on a team that we are all picking to win the. Finals again AND while I think janis had an, EXCEPTIONAL season I think mvp is about a little bit more than just what numbers did you? Put Up and tatum's leadership on that team and the way he has been the fulcrum of that team and steady and by the way. He plays what has been his availability this season a. Lot thing so, to me he was third on.
Speaker 1: My ballot i'm not mad. At that and if you look at we talked about this a couple of, shows ago if you look at Credentials from Shay, and tatum they're the. SAME. Age yea by, The Way, jason tatum shit is off, the, charts yes and we no one can figure out when, you know, You know, paul said because He's, in boston everyone hates. To sell, to me it has to, be more because there's no way a guy that is that talented and does everything right doesn't get the respect. HE deserves i think it.
Speaker 2: IS more i. ACTUALLY think, I mean boston's a, big market and we've had popular players from, big Markets including. Boston, Before Right larry bird got a lot of national.
Speaker 1: He said because Everyone.
Speaker 2: Hates, boston well THAT'S what, i mean even though they've Been. In, boston huh we, get through, get, Through right and you don't even have to go as far Back As, larry, Bird RIGHT so, i think, You know paul, certainly himself, you know engendered a lot. OF netlove kg is a lot of people's favorite player and they all played in One.
Speaker 1: In boston and he's a pretty skin light boy with the rock star girlfriend and he has they have they have a, kid together and, you know it's JUST that i, DON'T know i don't know what. It is he's too good not to get the at LEAST the i know is peers. Respect HIM but i feel like the media doesn't respect him. As much as.
Speaker 2: THEY should i think people don't know. HIM enough i think his. Personality reality he's a. Great guy SO when i say, his personality there's something.
Speaker 1: Wrong with This personal he just hasn't shown.
Speaker 2: THE world i just don't think he's an extrovert in the Way That andy edwards is or some of these other. GUYS are i Mean, even shay who has like a. QUIETER demeanor i mean the.
Speaker 1: Way he dresses you still more sides.
Speaker 2: Of him he's, got. Swag right tatum is a, you know he goes, to work does his job. Incredibly nice he is a. Good guy he's a. Great father he's been a great example. Of FATHERHOOD and i just don't think people know him. Well ENOUGH and i think if he ever decides to let people get into his personality a, LITTLE more i think that that affection.
Speaker 1: Will come we'll figure. It out He's Still First TEAM. All, nba yeah. Oh yeah these awards will be announced, this week Starting with expand Of the Year. On, tuesday rachel thank you for. Your time it's always, a pleasure and we will catch up again before this.
Speaker 2: Is, over, all Right Come back player Of. The year just remember we might need.
Speaker 1: It Back Come back claier Of the year before we get out. Of HERE the, la community in the basketball community, in particular loss to a landmark this. Past week rest in peace to Our Brother. Mike law great, basketball mind been around the game, for years but an even. Better person in a DAY where au is slimy and trashy and vindictive and just not a, Good Space mike law was a breath of fresh air and he will dearly. Be missed rest, In. Peace mike that's a wrap. Front plug you can catch us on All The smoke productions YouTube And The. DraftKings network we'll see you guys. Next week