Speaker 1: Dear lat you know USA listener. Before we start, you should know that if you want to listen to this episode ad free, just join plus and you can join for as little as seven dollars a month. Joining also gets you behind the scenes access and yes, some cheese may so click the link in the episode description and after you do that, then click play.
Speaker 2: Let's go to the show Futuro Investigates.
Speaker 1: Investiga. I am on the other side of the world. Oh my god, let me see if I can take a picture. And I'm having one of the most extraordinary reporting of my life. Oh my god. It is a cool and breezy day in February, and I'm standing outside a church made of sand colored stone blocks with big arches over the entrance. Now it's kind of an ordinary looking church, if you will. And as I'm walking in, there's a huge words at say Ave Maria above the arches, a tile of Labirkin de Wadalupe Donancin, the indigenous Virgin patron saint of the Americas, especially Mexico and Lavikin protects immigrants and the oppressed. And there's a Jrusalem Christ. Yes, I have visited countless churches dedicated to Lavikin de Wadalupe all across the US and Latin America, from Los Angeles to Texas to Guatemala. But I can't say I expected to see this one here. So we are in beir Ziad in Palestine, in Palestina. This virgin is in an old part of beer Ziit, a historic town in the West Bank, just around fifteen miles north of Jerusalem. This is the Christian area of Palestine. I was invited on this trip by a professor friend of mine, and I'm here to follow a delegation of students and academics from the United States who are on an exchange visit with their counterparts here in the West Bank. They want to learn what life has been like for Palestinians living under Israeli military control for decades, and as Israel's war on Gaza continues three years on, what the genocide means for people in the West Bank. I'm here in Beirziit with Latino USA producer Nude Saudi, who is Palestinian herself born in the US, and the both of us are traveling here as journalists. Nude has been here before. Her parents were both born in Jerusalem and came to the US in the nineteen seventies. Still, this is a big return trip for Nud and it's a first for me.
Speaker 3: I think it's just an anticipation of bowling tomorrow crossing.
Speaker 1: The Palasade, but I did not expect to encounter Labitkin de Uadalupe on this trip. It was kind of a sign, though, that this trip would end up being really spiritual for both Nu and for me. We came across the church while we were walking with Mace, one of the students in the delegation who lives in the West Bank. We were just sightseeing, walking through these ancient narrow streets. There are buildings here that date back to the Ottoman Empire, and then suddenly there was this church and it was like geekis isto. Now it was logged, but Mays recognized the guy who was in charge of the church grounds.
Speaker 4: And I told him can you open the church? And say yeah, of course, I got the keys, so let's see, and.
Speaker 1: So we went inside. Nance Fibina Igni, the groundskeeper told us how this church came to be here. Turns out an Italian priest in the nineteen forties had started this project to create jobs by building the church. At first, money was coming from Europe for the project, but when those funds ran out in the late nineteen sixties, a priest from Mexico came through with the rest of the money from his parish. So both the Italian and Mexican priests agreed to name this church for the Mexican vi Hin de Juadalupe. So now I'm walking to see the Mexican flag at the front of the church, that is right next to the Palestinian flag and right next to Unavandera de la Guada Lupe with a banner of the Virgin of Guada Lupe. In some ways, this unexpected moment solidified the question that we came to ask during this trip, what are the roots of the deep connections between Latinos and Palestinians and why do so many Latinos and Latinas in the United States feel this deep sense of solidarity with Palestine. For example, in pro Palestinian protests in the US, you'll often see Latino led immigrant rights groups joining the FRAY, and Latinos and Latinas were at the forefront of the student encampment protests in the spring of twenty twenty four. During pro immigrant rallies against detention facilities. Demonstrators are often wearing caffias, which is the black and white scarf that has become synonymous with Palestinian resistance, and you'll often see a Palestinian flag or two waving in the crowd. And then there is a central theme in my decades long career that has been reporting about the border and the border wall. So now I'm here in another part of the world where division is also entrenched, and where walls have become a part of the landscape and a major part of a government policy. It's what the Palestinians in the group told me that I would encounter, along with numerous checkpoints. I begin to wonder, what is going to look familiar to me here, what am I going to recognize and what am I going to learn about this part of the world that I can take back with me from Fuduro Media It's Latino USA. I'm Maria Kosa. Today five days in Panstina, we join a US academic delegation to the West Bank to better understand what drives Latino solidarity with Palestinians. Most of my life I've been hearing about occupied Palestine, how the Israeli military has controlled these territories since nineteen sixty seven, the Gaza Strip that borders Egypt, the landlocked West Bank bordering Jordan, and East Jerusalem. How Palestine is actually divided into pieces with Israel in the middle. And how even before the war on Gaza, the Israeli military has controlled who could come in and out of pretty much everywhere here in Palestine. Over the decades, I've heard about how more and more Palestinian land has been taken by Israel occupied and now within those borders there are hundreds of checkpoints across Palestine that prevent people from moving around freely. So now, a quick note on terminology, occupation is a legal term, and this situation in Palestine has been deemed to be an illegal occupation by the International Court of Justice, by the United Nations, and by a host of human rights organizations. But seeing this all in person is different than hearing about it. The intention of this trip was there from the very beginning. My dear friend, Professor Kent Wong envisioned this as a people to people diplomacy moment through travel and friendship at a time of deep division. Kent had been the director of the UCLA Labor Center in Los Angeles. He was inspired to organize this trip after seeing the violent police response to protests on college campuses in the spring of twenty twenty four. His goal was to build solidarity from the US with Palestine. Now, dear listener, you have likely heard about how students and professors have faced controversial accusations of anti Semitism if they criticize Israel. Some pro Palestinian immigrant activists are even facing threats of deportation, like Macmood Khalil from Columbia University where I teach at Barnard College. And last year the Trump administration proposed they would check the social media history of certain visitors coming to the US. In Israel, the government has surveilled and arrested Palestinians for their social media activity for years, and has ramped up there monitoring since twenty twenty three. And so in light of all that, we want to give you a heads up that we are not going to be sharing the real names of most of the people on this trip. Tragically, Kent, who invited me, died in October twenty twenty five, so he was never able to make the trip. He dreamed up the group organized to go in early February. Now, you can't just fly to the West Bank first, you have to get to Jordan.
Speaker 2: Are you fine?
Speaker 5: I can start.
Speaker 1: Our group would meet up in Petra and see one of the new seven Wonders of the world as a way to break the ice and begin to form connections.
Speaker 6: It's spectacular, it's unreal, it's surreal. Colors though, the colors here are way yeah, you see the red a lot here Marno.
Speaker 1: Petra broke my heart wide open. I mean I wanted to cry because it was so beautiful. It's an ancient archaeological city with arches and columns and doorways carved into massive pink stone cliffs. After this first profound experience of the trip, we would be spending the next five days in Palestine, going to Bethlehem and Ramala, the city in the West Bank that's about ten miles from Jerusalem, which Noor and I would then go and visit. Along the way, we'd talked to refugees, community leaders, and student activists, all of whom would help us see the connections to the Latino immigrant experience in the US. We were twenty in total, About half were professors and half were students.
Speaker 7: It does not feel real, to be honest, I feel like I'm watching a movie.
Speaker 1: That's one of the students from the US. We're gonna call her be. We talked to her as we walked through and frankly gauged at the magnificent cliffs surrounding Petra.
Speaker 7: I always like to think that the land remembers everything.
Speaker 1: She's Latina. Her parents are from South America, and she said it's her family's indigenous roots that first got her involved in protesting for Palestine. She was invited on this trip because of her campus organizing and because of her vision of what ties this all together.
Speaker 7: Connection to land has been kind of like my compass, especially seeing and starting to process, like so many injustices in the world, how Land is really at the root of it all.
Speaker 1: B has long brown hair with highlights, and she's tiny, petite like me, And even though she's only in her early twenties, Nood and I can feel how grounded B is and how meaningful it would be for her to cross from Jordan into the occupied West Bank with our delegation the next day.
Speaker 7: The place where we're about to go tomorrow holds loads of meaning and memory. So in a way like I'm trying not to let it overwhelm me because of all of the meaning in the very land that will be exploring. I'm really really grateful to be here with the Palaciti and people in the delegation who are here and experiencing all this for the first time. And then I feel like that's a once in a lifetime opportunity.
Speaker 1: Coming up on. Let you know us, say, across the border to the occupied West Bank, or at least we try to stay with us, not Yes.
Speaker 8: Avendra luinexplicable compara normal unto ken Rivela in Partantes Historias The Ovnes phantasmas Ibruheria, Explorer, Lodes conocido it is scubriquees looker real mena and laos couridadlos cruzloes considara normal in caul care Plata Formative podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey we're back. We just heard from b a Latinas student activist who were traveling with from Jordan into the West Bank. Let me tell you about some of the others in the group. We already heard from Mace at the top of the show. In the version of Wade Lupe Church. She's a master's student from the West Bank. She has a four year old son who stayed back home with his father in Palestine, and over the next couple of days in Jordan, they FaceTime constantly.
Speaker 2: That's say hi many Yeah.
Speaker 1: I learned from Mace that while she studies teaching English as a second language, other Palestinians actually criticize her for that. Why learn English, they ask.
Speaker 4: Because they feel like English is still like a colonial language.
Speaker 1: What's next, they say to her, You're going to be celebrating Halloween.
Speaker 4: It is important for us to learn English, to show the word what we're going through every day, and show the word what it is really like here living in Pelistan and what we are facing as Palestinians every day.
Speaker 1: The group also includes a jo Fish professor from New York who studies linguistics, a theology professor, professors who teach English, and several students who study it. One student is focused on education equity, another recently got their master's degree in public policy. And then there was Anthony, who was the very last person to join the group.
Speaker 6: Well, I've been saying since I got here, right, I've never felt more Arab here because everyone most people speak to me in Arabic immediately or like the guys at the airport.
Speaker 1: Anthony is a professor of communication based in California. He's a Palestinian Christian and his parents were both born in Ramala, but he was raised in the very Latino city of Chicago, just like me. This would be Anthony's first time stepping foot in Palestine.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I was thinking a lot about my mother, of course, and that's one thing that's like on my heart is that I wanted my first time to go to Palestine to be with her.
Speaker 1: Anthony's mother emigrated to the United States in the late nineteen eight and has only gone back home twice. But when Anthony saw her just before coming here, they pulled up Google Maps anyway, and she did what moms do. She gave directions and she was like, it's just down the street.
Speaker 6: And then she's like she studied khiyeh and you just take the cell this street and you'll get to your grandma's house. And I'm like, but like, what street is that this house.
Speaker 1: Anthony's visit would also put his Arabic speaking capabilities to the forefront for the first time in his life, because this Palestinian is actually a way better Spanish speaker.
Speaker 6: Espanol Espanol locientos.
Speaker 1: Anthony studies how Latino communities speak, and when he was researching undocumented communities in rural Minnesota in twenty twenty one, he started making connections between Latinos and Palestinians. It started when he was on a local radio.
Speaker 6: Show because I'm like on the radio talking to these undocumented hosts about immigration schooling in Mexico, and then they would ask about Palestine, and it was kind of the first time that I.
Speaker 1: Was in At that time, Israeli officials were threatening to evict Palestinian families in East Jerusalem and Israel was bombing Gasa. It triggered protests all around the world, including in Minneapolis. So here's this academic who had been studying something super specific, basically how Latinos in rural Minnesota speak on the radio, and now the hosts have questions for him about Palestine. So he made the connection how the Israeli government was justifying these evictions in Palestine in the courts, and how the US government justifies treatment of immigrants with a confusing web of policies and now waiting to cross the border into Palestine. Anthony is feeling the weight of seeing his home land for the very first time.
Speaker 6: So I'm like really distracted by just like the emotions that I'm gonna feel crossing and what that's going to be.
Speaker 1: Like Latino USA Producern is feeling those nerves as well. This is the land that her family has ties to, and every time she comes back it feels like a miracle. When I ask you, like what's going on, You're just like, I can't. I can't imagine that I'm going back to Palestine, Like it's it's so electric for you.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm a US citizen, my parents were both born in Jerusalem.
Speaker 2: Bluff.
Speaker 3: That's kind of the level of privilege as a US I asked for a Palestinian that I can technically go.
Speaker 2: Boh.
Speaker 3: There's still something about it where every time I leave, I'm like, I don't know when's the next.
Speaker 6: Like you never you just never know.
Speaker 3: So it's just like every single time I am able to go back, I'm like, this is like a gift from God.
Speaker 9: Is everybody here?
Speaker 1: The crossing that we're preparing for is known as the King Hussein Bridge in Jordan and Alan b Bridge by Israel. Those in the group who have crossed before explained to me that this place is notorious for its constant and sudden closures, often without notice or because of security concerns.
Speaker 5: According to.
Speaker 1: That's what our group spends the entire bus ride planning for the crossing and preparing for any contingencies.
Speaker 7: I think of the experience of Cosina bridged like a Normember Anderson.
Speaker 5: They're coming to see what a going.
Speaker 1: And preparing for the very real possibilities of being questioned by the Israeli officials at the counter, or being detained, or even being denied entry completely. I remembered having these feelings of excitement laced with panic as a little girl when my family would get ready to drive across the border from Mexico to the United States. Like I was excited about getting home, but I was also worried about the border patrol pulling our car over and putting us into secondary inspection, which could take hours. It was scary and nerve racking for me as a kid, but we were always prepared for that possibility that that could happen, so it just became normalized. Now that's not to say that we spent the entire bus ride to the West Bank in worry. In fact, there was definitely time for joy.
Speaker 6: I'm feeling we need to be playing right now.
Speaker 4: What is that?
Speaker 1: After about an hour's drive, we reached the terminal. Our Palestinian colleagues have to get down first at a different entrance because they hold separate IDs. They're called green IDs, and they're issued to Palestinians in the occupied West Bank. These ideas determine their freedom of movement and how they get processed at both sides of the border. Now, this was definitely not a part of my border crossing experience. So while we are waiting in the sitting area, a family sits down next to us. There are three young blonde girls who look to be around six to ten years old. Their mom is fair skinned with a round face wrapped in a black hey job, and she's wearing an abayah. The dad is tall, also pretty fair skinned, with a long, thick ginger beard and big curly hair. Just as Nude and I were wondering where they were from, the dad brings his kids a couple of bottles of water and offers them a wita aha utter in Spanish, and so our ears per cub. Because we've been thinking about all the ways that Latinos are connected to Palestinians and what drives the solidarity between these communities. And here on the Jordanian border, there was a Spanish speaking family crossing at the same time as we were. For the next hour, as we get through processing and board another bus to take us to the Israeli side of the terminal, where we go through even more extensive security checks, the mom of those Spanish speaking little blonde girls begins to tell me her whole story and get ready because it sounds like a telenovela. By the way, I could not record my conversation with her because we were crossing a border. Anyway. She is from Guatemala. Her husband is Palestinian. He was born in New York City but raised in the West Bank. He's Muslim, and when they met in Florida, she was Pentecostal Evangelical Christian. So they were co workers and they stayed just friends for years. But then her visa was up and she was going to have to go back home to Guatemala. Faced with the prospect of losing her, he confessed his love and proposed. They married and moved to Watemala to raise their daughters. And teach them Spanish. Then came the news of October seventh, twenty twenty three. Everything changed for her. After the attack by Hamas on Israel, which killed around twelve hundred people, Israel launched a full scale assault across the Gaza Strip. More than seventy three thousand Palestinians have been killed in the ongoing genocide, including more than twenty thousand children. Thousands of children have had at least one limb amputated. And she tells me it was seeing the mothers in Gasa, how their faith kept them steadfast to unimaginable horrors, that is what drew her to Islam. Her story was fascinating to me, and it was also a common sentiment how what was happening in Gasa really transformed people's belief systems at the other side of the border, and grappling with the fact that even though we're crossing into the West Bank into Palestinian territory, it's the Israeli authorities who decide who can come in. So when Noud and I finally get to the counter to hand over our US passports to be issued our entry visas, I get mine back right away, but Nud doesn't. Instead, the Israeli border official tells her there's some kind of issue and that she has to go to the waiting area. He points behind us to a row of seats against a far wall. He keeps Nud's passport, and even though I given a green light, I stay with her. Nud reminds me that she's been held for further questioning every single time she's visited her Palestinian homeland, including most recently in twenty twenty two, so Nude is expecting a long wait. This reminds me of getting sent to secondary inspection at the US Mexico border, so I get it. After about twenty minutes, another official comes up to us. He hands Nud her passport and her visa without saying a word, so we're good to go. It's the quickest Nud has gotten into the country her parents were born in. Me I was sweating from anxiety because it's not going as smoothly for the rest of the group. We see that two of the four students traveling with us have also had their passports taken and have been told to wait by Israeli officials. And then Anthony, the other Palestinian American from our group. Our Spanish speaking professor is also told to wait for further questioning. I look around and notice everybody in the waiting area is not white. Some are Middle Eastern, some South Asian Latinos, but nobody is white. To me, this looks like racial profiling clear as day. When we asked the Israeli government about this, they denied that they use racial profiling. More on that later. We also know that all four of these students have been involved in pro Palestine protests on their college campuses. They all have ongoing suspensions from their universities. A few were arrested during the protests and are facing pending misdemeanor charges. I saw the two white students getting their visas immediately without issue. Only the two students of color B and another student who is from Kashmir were still waiting. It's now a little after eleven am. We're standing outside the border terminal, and after almost two hours, we see Anthony finally coming out. The expression on his face is one of pure elation.
Speaker 6: He's so happy, like I'm in the Motherland.
Speaker 1: But I was really scared that it wasn't going to happen because two officials. He says, we're questioning him about his work, and they seemed specifically concerned with demonstrations at the university where he teaches.
Speaker 6: He said, have you participated in any protests?
Speaker 2: Interesting?
Speaker 6: And I said no? And he said, no protests here at a university, there are a lot of protests. And I said, I teach three hundred students, some focused on grading and doing my work, you know, trying to I don't know.
Speaker 1: And then he was like, okay, So now we're wondering whether the students will get the same kind of questions about pro tests on campus. They are all still inside waiting for an update on their visas, and so our group is getting increasingly worried.
Speaker 6: At one point he said, you know, Anthony, you look like a good guy. You can come into Israel, don't cause any problems here. Come enjoy your time and go back home. And I said, that's my plan.
Speaker 1: We decide that one of us will stay behind to wait for the other students, but the rest of us should get on the bus to make our way to Ramala. Are they going to get back, well, you.
Speaker 2: Think they're going to let them go.
Speaker 3: Just don't know, really, just don't know.
Speaker 1: You Coming up next, we visit Bethlehem and see the impact of borders in Palestine first hand, and we learn what happens with the students who were held for questioning with the reason they were invited on this trip, organizing on campus actually keep them from entering Palestine. Hey, welcome back today. We're sharing our reporting from five days in Palestine where we're traveling with a delegation of students and professors from the US to the West Bank. Before the break, we were crossing the border from Jordan. Four student activists are still waiting for an update on whether two of them will be allowed into Palestine by Israeli authorities. The tight control over who enters and leaves the West Bank isn't just reserved to that terminal. Israel controls all of the borders in Palestine. Since two thousand and two, Israel has been systematically separating Palestinians in the occupied West Bank from the rest of the country by building a wall and placing militarized checkpoints all along the way. They say it's for security, but the vast majority of the wall is in the West Bank, and that defies the internationally agreed upon boundary called the Green Line that marked the borders of Israel. This separation wall, this thirty foot high concrete barrier, referred to as the apartheid Wall by Palestinians and activist groups, has cut directly through Palestinian farmlands, its divided families, and it's led to the illegal annexation of Palestinian land. How can I explain this? I'm going to try and make some folk comparisons here, so bear with me. But it would be as if there was a border wall between Queens and Brooklyn and New York and you had to go through multiple checkpoints to get from one to the other. Or picture a wall between Oakland and San Francisco, or a wall between Kansas City, Missouri and Kansas City, Kansas. I mean, yeah, it feels like that. And still construction of this wall continues, and as Israel annexes more Land, more Israeli settlements are built in the West Bank, which is also a violation of international law. So now that we are actually driving from the border to Ramala, I start to see the separation wall filling the hilly landscapes, winding concrete structures that curve around towns and neighborhoods. I can't help but turn to Anthony and point out the parallels to the southern border wall in the United States, Anthony, if you look at it from a distance, it does look like parts that you now see between San Diego and Mexico. The similarities are striking, specifically with the long metal barrier that runs between San Diego and Tijuana's rolling hills. And the thing is, I've never gotten used to seeing the wall between the US and Mexico. In fact, every time I see that wall, I still feel discombopulated because I remember a time when there wasn't a wall. But seeing walls here in the middle of the countryside, massive overshadowing prison style walls cutting through ancient olive groves. I mean, it was just shocking. At the top of some of those hills, parallel to the walls, we can see clusters of modern, small, multi story buildings which stick out from the surrounding greenery. Those are Israeli settlements, And as we drive we notice new construction of a road directly adjacent to the highway that we're on.
Speaker 4: They're planning to separate the north and the south of the West Bank using settlements and the Latino Israeli.
Speaker 1: Zones like Maze, who is with us at the church at the top of the episode, tells us this is a road exclusively for Israelis.
Speaker 5: And this Rods will go into Calaburi.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I'm trying to understand this. What do you mean roads only for Israelis, like there could be roads only for Mexicans. I mean, what is this?
Speaker 2: All?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 1: So, at this point, while our group is on the bus being transported to Ramala, the students we left behind have been waiting for four hours. We learn that they've been taken in for questioning, first together in the pairs that they traveled in, and then separately. One of the students has been asked about their arrest records related to participating in a campus protest. Now we don't know exactly if and how Israeli authorities would get these kinds of records. There are several US cities that send police officers to Israel for training, and the NYPD even opened a branch just outside of Tel Aviv in twenty twelve where they share intelligence and coordinate investigations with local Israeli authorities. But we were not able to confirm whether this includes arrest records of this nature. So by now the two students whose passports were being held by Israeli authorities. One student from Kashmir, also the Latina B that we met earlier. By now they had been deta for about seven hours and finally we hear more news about them. The latest update, B was denied entry. They're waiting on the bus to return to Aman. We also learned that the other student from Kashmir was denied as well. Still, just like being denied entry into this part of the world because of something that you did as a student in a city in the United States, where it's not even a felony, it's a protest. They haven't even been convicted of a misdemeanor on a university discipline.
Speaker 2: Here's the extension of what they do.
Speaker 1: I'm horrified that was. We've asked the Population and Immigration Authority of Israel if officials have access to US law enforcement records about ethnic profiling at border crossings, and on what basis you college students might be denied entry to the West Bank. They told us, quote, as a rule, the decision at the border is taken considering different parameters, and they denied that they use racial profiling. They did not respond further to our specific questions. We spoke with an Israeli human rights lawyer and he recently told us that what these students experienced at the border is not that unusual, from the profiling to the questions they were being asked. Now, technically Israeli officials aren't supposed to be turning anyone away because of their political speech, so they'll put down other reasons on paper. The lawyer says, even before October seventh, he'd been hearing anecdotally that more students from all around the world were being questioned about participating in campus protests and even having their phones searched by Israeli officials. The next morning, we hear from B, who's back in Jordan, and she sends me and Nude this voice note.
Speaker 7: All I could think about during the interrogation is how none of this would matter because Palestine will be free and Palestinians will be able to return and unite there.
Speaker 1: B says this makes her think about how the US government has now been asking people for their social media handles to check their history and activity as well.
Speaker 7: I was thinking a lot about how I wonder if it's the same when people are trying to get into the US and the security is becoming more and more intense, and they are checking people's social media and it's all to check if you're plotting on their downfall.
Speaker 1: Basically, B's message that morning about Palestinians returning to their land sets a fitting tone for the rest of our day because our first stop the West Bank is Bethlehem to the Aida refugee camp that's coming up on Latino USA. We're back. It's Latino USA. Normally, refugee camps bring to mind tents, right there's supposed to be temporary spaces. Instead, in the Ida refugee camp in the West Bank, there are concrete buildings where some families have lived for over seven decades as refugees. There's a youth center, a health clinic, an education center. It's really more like an entire city is meeting us at the key and the first thing we see when we get off the bus is a huge key. It's sitting on top of a big arch and this key carries a lot of meat, meaning for Palestinians who have been displaced, this.
Speaker 5: Is the queue return. As you know more, all the people just carried their keys and ran away.
Speaker 1: That's our tour guide. Munder who is the director of the board of the Aida Youth Center. The camp is home to more than seven thousand Palestinian refugees who were displaced from their villages. Many families have been here for generations since the nineteen forty eight Nakba. Nakba translates to catastrophe, and it refers to the mass displacement of some seven hundred and fifty thousand Palestinians during the creation of the State of Israel.
Speaker 5: In nineteen forty Eight's Five hundred thirty six Palestinian villages have been destroyed, and the people from these villages were ethnic cleansing to this area, to the West Band, to resident the Sea, to Jordan, olivanon all over. This is the knock down.
Speaker 1: Everything in the camp, from electricity to the water is controlled by the Israeli government.
Speaker 5: They are selling us our water. It's the same with electricity, even the signals, the mobile signals. So here is the ecupation in every single part of our life. It's not just shooting, shooting the most easy part.
Speaker 1: From the roof of one building, we can see the dark difference between Aida and a neighboring Israeli settlement.
Speaker 5: If you would look toward the Yellow settlement, you will not see even one single water tank. But just look here, it's a forest of tanks. Not because we love tanks. It is because they are giving us a water twice a month, so we have to fill our waters and to use it carefully.
Speaker 1: He says. The situation has gotten even more dire and restrictive since Israel's war on Gaza, when aid to the camp was cut significantly, But the simultaneous growth of the pro Palestine movement globally has driven them to hold on, to hope and to continue.
Speaker 5: If there were not an international movement moving all over the world, we will be broken.
Speaker 1: Standing on the roof of one of the buildings in the Ada Camp, we get a look at the wall dotted with big watch towers, and I can't help but think about the US Mexico border wall, and we're able to see this wall that looks like a prison wall with a prison outlook. These watch towers remind me of the towers on American soil that I've seen up close. And it's not just the physical similarities. It's deeper than that, because the same Israeli technology used to surveil these concrete dividers in Palestine is also being used on the border. Here picture this all along the US Mexico border. There are nearly six hundred surveillance towers dotted periodically across the landscape. They're used to monitor migrants and keep them from crossing into the US. At least fifty five of them are actually made by Israel's largest military manufacturer, Albit, and more towers are expected to be built under a multimillion dollar contract with Customs and Border Protection, or CBP. In twenty fourteen, where that contract between Albit and CBP was first secured, the Arizona Palestine Solidarity Alliance was formed to fight against Israeli militarization of the US Mexico border, and today in the US, ELBETT has become a focal point of the pro Palestine movement. But borders don't just separate landscapes, they also separate people. Take for instance, the more than one hundred thousand children separated from their parents by ice in the US since Trump took office in January of twenty twenty five. So we kept that in mind as we moved into our third day in Palestine, and there we meet someone who has also been separated from her family. We're going to call her Jena. She's a master's student currently studying in the West Bank, but she's originally from Gasai. We bet Jana. Just before lunch, three of the Palestinians in our group decided to cook for us maid stuffed grape leaves, musahan, which is roasted chicken served with bread that's topped with onions, and sumac, which is a spice that's a staple in Palestinian cooking. And there was macluba, a popular rice dish that's layered with vegetables and then is flipped upside down. Where do sit down? As we wait to eat, Jana starts telling us her story.
Speaker 9: For twenty eight years, it was not able to come to the.
Speaker 1: Spect She's twenty eight years old. She has these big brown eyes that pop even more in the brownie jop that she's wearing. And despite the painful memories of Gaza that she's recounting to us in this cafe, she continues to smileh.
Speaker 9: I came before the last genocide in two months.
Speaker 1: Before two month, it used to be that Palestinians in Gaza could apply to travel to the occupied West Bank through the bait Hanoon crossing north of the Gaza Strip, known to Israeli's as the Eires Border. It's under full Israeli control, and permission to cross is granted only under specific outstanding cases like meeting medical attention or the death of a family member. So in August of twenty twenty three, Jana and her family were granted permission to cross so that her mother could get medical care.
Speaker 9: Unfortunately, my mother, she was diagnosed with press cancer and they give for some people in Gaza some permission for the cancer, and so we were able to come to the rest mind with there.
Speaker 1: Jana and her family stay in the West Bank was supposed to be temporary, but then came the Hamas attack on Israel on October seventh, twenty twenty three, and in the devastating war that followed, Israel immediately closed the border crossing altogether, so Jana was stuck outside of Gaza. Over the next two years, Jenna would hear about her home being bombed, the same house that her father had just built in twenty twenty two. It's one of countless buildings in Gaza that have been destroyed by Israeli airstrikes.
Speaker 9: And tell now it has been two years till now. I didn't overcome the loss of my house, but then I didn't overcome. I keep like looking at the pictures of my house. I lost my house and the whole neighborhood, but on everything, everything, and I have nothing to remind me Mathela, and I spent all of my childhood there. All my memories are there.
Speaker 1: She tells us about her beautiful residential neighborhood lined with olive trees and the smell of orange flowers when they blossom in the spring.
Speaker 9: I tell, well, I just still remember that smell.
Speaker 1: And she thinks about her sister, who she hasn't seen in two years, who ended up staying behind in Gaza with their family members to.
Speaker 9: Witness a whole genocide, lonely by yourself. You have been in starving to death. You lost your house in front of your eyes two times. She lost the house two times. She had to evacuate more than maybe seven times, from the whole neighborhood for too many times, and to be responsible for her own self is very something, very hard.
Speaker 1: Jena's sister was finally able to leave Gaza last fall. She's nineteen now and she's studying in Egypt. But the sisters are still not able to see each other, at least not for now. You see, Jena has a Gaza id, so she would need special permission from Jordanian authorities to cross from the West Bank into Jordan, and that is rarely granted. Still, Jana has not lost her determination to see her sister again and to eventually returned to her home in Gaza.
Speaker 9: It's like, yey one of my top priorities.
Speaker 1: Now ye need to see her, Jena tells us she feels like a survivor, not a victim. She says this is a lesson she learned from her former teacher in Gaza, doctor Rifat al Aarreir, the renowned Palestinian poet and writer who was killed in an Israeli airstrike in Gaza in December of twenty twenty three.
Speaker 9: He was always teaching us how you should be very strong when you tell your story, and he was always teaching us till the story from a survival point of view.
Speaker 1: And so Jana decided to rebuild her life in the West Bank and to continue her education and to live.
Speaker 9: It's my first time to see mountains, my first night seaplane, my first time to do too many things to have a friendly New York, for example, Mexican friendly New York. Yes, yes, Actually it's a very good feeling if if that you celebrate life every time you experienced things for the first time. And actually, when I celebrate life, I feel that I'm defeating them again. I do defeat the Israeli incubation again.
Speaker 1: During our time in the West Bank, we've seen how the movement of Palestinians has been controlled by walls, by displacement, and by these ideas that separate them from other people. Whether it's Jana who can't go back home to Gaza and is forced to continue her life in a new city, or for example, the residents of the Aida refugee camp who still after decades, dream of returning to their homes. On our last day, we decide to see Al Aksa Mosque, one of the oldest Islamic structures in the world. It's known as the third holiest site in Islam. In Judaism, it's referred to as the Temple Mount and the compound which houses the mosque and the Dome of the Rock. A structure that dates back to the seventh century, has become one of the most contested territories in the Holy Land. Culmination literally walking up the steps of this room.
Speaker 6: As we're going up to the dome and looking at these the absolute gorgeous colors.
Speaker 1: Anthony knud and I are now standing looking up at the dome of the Rock, its golden sphere shining in the sun, and Anthony starts to reflect on what brought him to this moment. It started when his Arabic professor told him that heritage speakers like him would have a hard time in class, and that's what got him thinking about what that was like for Spanish speakers.
Speaker 6: And so I ended up deciding to do research on Latino heritage speakers and how they felt poorly about their language in language classrooms. The idea just like this sort of trauma that so many.
Speaker 1: He says that word helped him to make connections to Palestine and to his own identity.
Speaker 6: And now because of all of that process, I'm here in Alaski.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, he says, I came home to Palestine because I learned Spanish. On February twenty, just twelve days after we returned to New York, the US and Israel launched an attack on Iran. In response, Israel closed the Alaxa Moss compound for forty days, the same exact place where Noord Anthony and I were just standing days before. That means it was also closed on Id, which is one of the most important holidays for Muslims, when worshippers congregate all over the world. It was, in fact the first time Eid prayer was restricted at Alakxa since nineteen sixty seven. And about a month after that, our group connected over a video call again.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I'll just.
Speaker 2: Kick it off.
Speaker 4: It's great to say one's faces again.
Speaker 1: I feel like we all got so close. At the time of our call, us and Israeli airstrikes on Iran had killed thousands and damaged and destroyed nearly five hundred schools and over two hundred and eighty medical centers. Israel had also begun bombing southern Lebanon, completely eviscerating neighborhoods. Over thirteen hundred people had been killed. Iran was also bombing Israel, killing at least twenty people. And when this happens, air raid sirens go off everywhere and they can be heard even in the West Bank.
Speaker 9: Two.
Speaker 1: We could hear them in the background of one of our Palestinian colleagues' homes during a zoom call after our trip.
Speaker 7: In the window.
Speaker 4: Can hear that we can hear that these are the sirens, basically warning that israight, as that there are some records coming in a couple of minutes.
Speaker 1: We never thought that we'd be hearing air raid sirens on our very next call together. Now I don't say this lightly, but this trip changed my life. The way Palestine is covered in the media is horror, destruction, victimization, suffering, and when you're there, you realize life is also happening here. High rises are being built, colleges are filled with students, and people are enjoying themselves in coffee shops. That literal desire to experience life fully in those moments is what I've learned about Palestinian resistance and frankly, what should inspire all of us. As the Palestinians told me, we insist on living as a way to resist. Five Days in Palestina is an original production of Futuro Investigates in collaboration with Latino USA. This episode was reported and produced by Nude Saudi and myself, and edited by Alana Casanova Burgess. He was mixed by Stephanie Lepo and Julia Caruso. Fact checking for this episode by Roxanna Aguire. Fernanda Echavari is our managing editor. Additional editorial support by Fatima abdul Kadin. Original art for this episode is by Aya Ganame. Nancy Trujillo is our production manager. Special thanks to Yotam ben Hillel. The Latino USA team also includes Renaldo Lenoz Junior, Floriman Marquez, Julieta Martinelli, Jjkrubin and Adriana Rodriguez. Pennile Ramirez and I are executive producers. I'm your Host Marie nor Josa. Latino USA is part of Iheart'smichael Dura podcast Network. Executive producers at iHeart are Leo Gomes and Arlene Santana. Join us in on our next episode. In the meantime, I'll see you on all of our social media and don't forget to join Fudura Plus to listen to all the episodes. Ad Free, Esta Approxima Joe.
Speaker 7: Latino USA is made possible in part by the John D.
Speaker 1: And Catherine T.
Speaker 7: MacArthur Foundation, W K. Kellogg Foundation, a partner with Communities where Children Come First, and New York Women's Foundation. The New York Women's Foundation, funding women leaders that build solutions in their communities
Speaker 1: And celebrating thirty years of radical generosity,