Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It is the Dan Patrick Show here Fox Sports Radio. LaVar Arrington, Freddy Quinn, Jonas Knox with you in for Dan and the guys here and uh well, not exactly the way many people were hoping for that game to finish up.
Speaker 3: Last night.
Speaker 2: It was the Nations face off, and I'll say this, Q sounds very disappointed.
Speaker 3: It was a bummer. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't know about you, LeVar. I wasn't rooting for Canada. It's surely not.
Speaker 3: I said they were better than Native Now if it was football, is that a ukulele playing? What it sounded like? I think so? Jesus.
Speaker 5: I mean, I would have been ready to cut my wrist open if if we played them in like US versus Canada and football and we lost.
Speaker 3: But is hockey.
Speaker 4: See that's the difference between you and me. Like I would still be feeling that way. And I don't even know how to play hockey, but I'd sure as well try. I'd be giving it my best effort, falling down, flopping around out if.
Speaker 5: I lost, I'd be like, you know what, there's more frozen pawns in Canada than there are in the United States, and I get it.
Speaker 3: Here's well.
Speaker 4: First off, Canada was the better team last night. For anyone who watched. It felt like the US had a hard time controlling the puck. It felt like there wasn't the same impact as far as the physicality. You know, to some degree that the defense held up. But I also felt like, and the stats aren't always indicative of this, it just felt like when Canada had opportunities to score, they were a bit more legit, They're a bit more on net. It was some close calls. Maybe you want to say luck, but there was just moments where if you're watching as a fan of the US, you're kind of holding on the edge of your seat, being like, okay, got by one there, oh there's another one.
Speaker 3: Bennington was unbelievable, but you know what was super I don't know.
Speaker 4: And overtime was fine, I'm saying, but leading up to that point, I thought the US was was better defensively.
Speaker 3: I watched for the first three period.
Speaker 5: First of all, I watched the game because you guys made it a big deal on the show leading up to the game.
Speaker 3: That was first and four. We did get better, all right, And think about this.
Speaker 5: So then secondly, then then it really dawned on me, like, Wow, what an amazing setup in a situation to play off of the NFL Super Bowl and everything that has happened.
Speaker 3: During the course of this calendar year.
Speaker 5: You get the most ideal matchup in a sport that could be obscure to other categories groups of people, and you guys are wondering where I'm going with this right then it's like.
Speaker 3: They're not like us.
Speaker 5: They're not like us, like it's probably a minor and I'm sitting there thinking of myself. Damn Kendrick Lamar and Drake is sitting somewhere. Drake is sitting there proud like we finally won one this year, even though it took twenty twenty five to get it, but we got something.
Speaker 3: We won something. Canada won something. I let y'all down.
Speaker 5: Kendrick Lamar's been spanking my ass for a whole entire calendar year.
Speaker 3: Won awards off of going at me?
Speaker 5: Does it at the Super Bowl and everybody's like pro America and forgot about how dope Canada is in lo and behold, here we go when it really mattered for us in a sport that really matters to us and to them.
Speaker 3: We won. We won. Drake won last night and I was watching it and as I'm watching it from Drake, I'm like, damn, I bet you.
Speaker 5: Drake is sitting somewhere like please don't lose, please, please, please don't lose please, And it made it more interesting to me.
Speaker 3: And I just wonder how many people around the country that were in on this whole way.
Speaker 5: There's a lot of people that are connected to this Draken and Kendrick Lamar beef And I'm telling you, somewhere Drake was sitting there and it's going to come out at some point he's going to reference that game and he's going to try to use it as a way to say that I told you Canada is better than America based on actually it made it interesting.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, well, I was just going to say it the based on the attire at the super Bowl, the bell bottom.
Speaker 3: I don't really see.
Speaker 2: Ken Cla Lamar as a hockey by the way they call him. It doesn't strike me as a hockey fan, don't.
Speaker 5: They don't call them bell bottoms anymore, Jonas, It's called flared bottom.
Speaker 3: They call what you want. I'm just telling you just telling you.
Speaker 4: I don't know whose calm it was. I was reading about it, but it was kind of interesting, and they were play on the adversarial position of the Drake Kendrick Lamar conversation because the popular opinion, the easy thing to say, oh, Kendrick Lamar won this stuff, you hit super Bowl, you know all this stuff, and the actually he said the fact that the biggest moment for Kendrick Lamar was the super Bowl halftime show and he couldn't do anything other than perform a song that's a distrack to Drake, because that's where Drake lives in his head, rent free. And if you're comparing the two as far as what they've accomplished so far in their rapping careers, it's not even close. I mean, obviously Drake's been way more successful. So I was actually, I've root in this column and I was thinking, I don't have a dog in the fight. I honestly could care less. But it was an interesting perspective that, like, if you really think about it, as much as people want to kind of give Kendrick Lamar, oh, he's the winner. He did that, it's like, well, yeah, but I think Drake's solid. Okay, I mean his name is like still out there. Granted he's saying what he's saying and there's different accusations, but he's been way more successful. He'll continue to be more successful. And like, I'm not sure that after the Super Bowl halftime show, like did that help Kendrick Lamar, Like I think people who knew himknew him. People like his rap like it's wrap. I'm not sure it like grew anything. I think if anything, it's just kind of like all right, no sweet, like the US one. I feel like we won that one. But ultimately, if you're looking at like the long term, like I mean, I'm not sure Kendrick Lamar wins in the long and in the long run.
Speaker 3: This I'll just say this.
Speaker 5: This, this to me was one of those scenarios where you're looking at a guy and and Drake has always been considered like the sexy, light skinned it lover right, Like people are so by, well, that's super light, that's like super white chocolate sexy lover. You know what I mean.
Speaker 4: You know, I take exception to that. I've got somewhat old skin. I'm pretty sure we uh.
Speaker 5: We well light skin, and your category is very compare in New Orleans to one another. And yeah, I mean, you're not too many shades off from me, and I'm I'm on the darker side.
Speaker 3: But about me, like you you you white, just you go, you go.
Speaker 4: We're not doing this.
Speaker 3: This is not okay. We could do it over the radio, but we are not going to do this live and in person. I mean, we're just not going to do it. But I will say I look like a paper towl. That still a far huh.
Speaker 5: Some of some of Qu's mannerisms when he got a little bit of oil in him are very light skin.
Speaker 3: That's all I'm gonna say.
Speaker 6: Me.
Speaker 3: Damn, I just gonna say.
Speaker 5: And you see the way people flock to lightskin cats, man, they just seem more. They just seemed more, you know, like approachable, you know, very like seem like more attractive to My name is Tyrone.
Speaker 3: I get it, bro, I get it. That's what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 5: And in the end, the point of the matter is is that if I was Kendrick Lamar and you was Drake at that bar on Thursday in New Orleans, Drake was still winning.
Speaker 3: That's all I'm gonna say.
Speaker 5: And that was culminated by a win and a dub by Canada in this this World Cup last night.
Speaker 4: That's I take one excep with the format, and I realized we have an NHL season to play and so we can't drag this thing out. But they split. It was a round robin. They got to play twice, the USA, one on their turf. The first time they won on the USA's turf. It feels like for the championship it should be like a best of three, like, let them play at least one two more games to figure this thing out. Now, this is gonna sound like a sore loser Tenny Canadians out there, And if you feel that way, I'm just saying you got beat up the first time around. We took it on the chin this last time. I'd love to see two more. Let's running back, let's run it back. I'd love to see I'd love to see a best of three for the actual championship of the four nations as opposed to the whole round robin you know format, which again, it just I understand how it works. It just it would have been nice to see a best of three series.
Speaker 2: Somebody brought it up post game. Might have been Steve Levy or got to forget who Ray Ferr. Somebody made the comment that there was an idea that was floated out there kind of in jest, like, eh, well what about this thought that they would you know, you don't really need anybody else if you just every year did a hey, just for the hell of it, best of five series between the US and Canada and hockey.
Speaker 3: That's all you need.
Speaker 2: People would watch like, you don't need Finland, you don't need no Like, just have those two go at it yearly. Make it a tradition, do some sort of a.
Speaker 4: I like it.
Speaker 3: It's fun, man, Like, you know, does that apply to the NBA. Maybe the NBA could stand and learn something from it.
Speaker 2: A coros VERSUS Americans a couple of years ago, Baseball did this World Baseball Classic.
Speaker 3: Before that, I mean we would lose, we would get our asses kicked, but people but people loved it because we would lose. That one.
Speaker 2: You saw you know, up and coming stars. You saw all these players from Japan that nobody had seen before. It was aged in the US at different ballparks around and it was before spring training, before the season or in the midst of spring training, and they're going to bring it back. I think in twenty twenty six is when it comes back. But you saw that there was a wow. This worked a lot better than we thought it was going to. And this had the same feel last night to where they kind of fell upon something that they've got to build on. And for as much as we want to say about well it's you know, it's hockey and how many people care about it in this country, I guarantee you people will start following the sport and start following the NHL based.
Speaker 5: On what an easy marketable deal, right, you can leverage that in the market. It's relevant within each market. And let me ask you, what do you think the percentage of Canadians playing in the NHL are plus you'd have you have NHL franchises that are in Canada, So like what would that like, what would that population be? I'm sure it's significant enough. I know we get their biggest stars coming to play in the NHL. Listen, like, imagine that Canada to the way three percent.
Speaker 4: Just a little history on this, uh, dating back to the nineteen eighties, it will used to be seventy five percent.
Speaker 3: Town.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're better taken. I mean in theory, you would consider them to be better. I mean, I just would.
Speaker 3: I think it would be interesting and and honestly, maybe every single sport could benefit from that.
Speaker 5: Instead of doing the Pro Bowl where you take the All pros and you do this weird ass water down deal, have them play the best mother lovers that play in Canada have had like the second tier guys.
Speaker 3: You wouldn't watch that.
Speaker 5: Just somehow that they could field a team. No, bro, they played football in Canada. I don't know if you watch Canadian football. They played football in Canada. All I'm gonna say is it would bring a different market into watching a singular game because of the pride of Canada versus the US. The US versus Canada. Don't use the best of the best, Use those ones, give them a bonus and send them out there and have a real ass exhibition game against the best of the best in the Canadian Football League. That gives you what you want with the American viewers, It gives you what you want for the Canadian viewers, and it gives you an opportunity to showcase players that might have needed an opportunity to get some exposure.
Speaker 3: I would do it in basketball too. You want to make a.
Speaker 5: Different format that matters to the fan, where it's like there's a sense like Q was talking about earlier in the week, where.
Speaker 3: There's a sense of pride or the intensity.
Speaker 5: You think an American NFL football player wants to lose a game to a Canadian League football player.
Speaker 3: Let them lose that game.
Speaker 5: You know how much scrutiny and criticism would come upon the NFL and the players if they lost.
Speaker 3: I guarantee you, with that bonus.
Speaker 5: Money and with them playing that game with the pride of the USA, they would play their asses off.
Speaker 4: It's like the Olympics watching the NBA. You know, players go over and playing the Olympics for USA.
Speaker 5: You don't want to see them lose. Yeah, you you do not want to see. What we believe is we're the superpower. We are the ones that are superior to everybody else.
Speaker 3: If you lose, it is the end of the world unless you bet on the other team. Oh, you know, like you like who they have.
Speaker 2: I think the Sudan uh they almost won, took the US to the wire last year or something like that one. I mean you got them at plus forty or something. That's a big pay yeah, but that's you.
Speaker 5: You're moving the gold post like like forget Sudan, like like I'm saying, take the superpower of taking the best players, which, by the way, a lot of those players are American football players that air quotes did not We're not able to make get playing in the NFL. Imagine you take the All Stars, the best of the best out of the Canadian Football League, off their teams. You put them together and they represent Canada in an exhibition game against what would be perceived as the best of the best of the NFL. But it would not be the best of the best. You're not You're not putting Patrick Mahomes or Josh Allen out there. You're putting Dak Prescott, Chad Kelly lighting up Vic Fangio's defense.
Speaker 3: Come on, man, come on, man.
Speaker 5: Scott, you tell me you wouldn't want to I would rather attend that game than the Super Bowl. I would actually want a ticket to go watch that game.
Speaker 4: Jonas is an idiot.
Speaker 3: He was an idiot.
Speaker 4: I did not realize how he slipped that in there. Chad Kelly is not born in Canada. Jonas places for the CFL. I figure it doesn't mean he's gonna represent that.
Speaker 2: You think he could do a twenty three and meter and find out he's got a relative from Toronto somewhere.
Speaker 4: Probably not. Dang well, I mean, are you basing that off of just him being related to Jim Kelly and inside of the house situation. You know, it feels like a loose accusation that I'm saying that far off. There's something wrong.
Speaker 5: Jonas loves slipping in weird little sad boards. I figured that's what he meant. I didn't know who the second one was, but I knew who the first one was, so it's fine.
Speaker 4: She she didn't see when he gave you that little grin.
Speaker 3: He looked over with the you know, with his little fang hanging out his mouth.
Speaker 4: Here's Here's all I know is I'm watching the game, and during the course of the game, it comes across my mind. Oh yeah, Lee was supposed to be going out tonight.
Speaker 3: Yeah did you go out? Oh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, sure did went to Uh oh did you hear the way? Responded sure did? He is lit up?
Speaker 3: There's number two. Check off number two. Hey, what's the what what damage you do last night? Perfect ingredients?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Damn? Check number three? I p a quick quick shot when the lady went to the bathroom.
Speaker 4: Lady Lady hold On, explain how that works? So she gets something, says to you, Hey, iy, I doted use the bathroom real quick? Are you waiting until she's far enough away where you can bet?
Speaker 3: Bartender?
Speaker 4: Bartender and you're like trying to get him to rush over to her?
Speaker 3: She and yes, I did.
Speaker 7: I got Maria and caught her attention, said hey, can I have a quick one? And you know we sometimes they they kind of get they kind of get the game on. Got to make sure you clarify what I'm I'm kicking it with a nice gentleman who's in town from Boston. He's watching them, he's watching the game. His wait, he's waiting for a table for his kids are waiting for a table. And I said, hey, you mind me putting this shot glass in front of you? Slide it right over. And then she comes back. She's none the wiser. So I have myself an I p a is shot and then uh, and then she goes to the movie and I have myself a little long island. As I'm paying the be out the door, Hey did you go meet her at the movie?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: OK, and if you're doing an I P A A shot and a Long Island, you gotta suck it back quick so she doesn't know. She clearly doesn't care about you, probably floating by the time he walked in there.
Speaker 3: Listen to what he said. She left him twice for the bathroom.
Speaker 5: So do you leave your your crackhead buddy, family member, boyfriend, girlfriend alone in front of a crack dealer? I mean, you want some rocks crack his Why I'm not gonna walk away and leave you in front of there to.
Speaker 3: I'm not leaving you there.
Speaker 1: To get that rock.
Speaker 3: Yeah, wait to violate her.
Speaker 5: You don't really care about you, Lee. She left you there knowing that you was at the bar by yourself.
Speaker 2: Come on, man, if she knew he was sucking back Long Islands and IPAs, he would.
Speaker 5: Have walked into a gatling gun in the theater. Bro, do you understand when somebody doesn't want you to do something? You know what she would have said, walked me to the restroom. You know what she'd have said, You're going to the entrance with me. Maybe you haven't experienced that either yourself, Jonas, But I'm just trying to tell you. If somebody cares that much about what you're doing. Look, he drinking something right now. If you were to do something that somebody that loves you cares about you not doing, like say, drinking too much, you're not going to walk away from them one time and leave them there. Let alone go there the first time, Like, we're not going to the bar together. That's first and foremost. Then I'm certainly not going to leave you one time at the bar. Then secondly, I'm not going to leave you two times like, oh, I'm gonna go get the popcorn and and the skittles and and the bond bonds at at the you know, come on, man, you gotta be kidding me.
Speaker 3: She wanted you to drink broh. She wants you to she wants you to ruin.
Speaker 7: It evening other than the USA getting taken out by Canada. And in Canada, I'm at the Folks Place for another week to back.
Speaker 3: The Folks Place. Is she there with you? She's there with you. Yeah, we got one more week to goo. Oh we gotta go. We got brear next.
Speaker 4: No hold on, hold on, she is staying at your parents place too?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Whatever to the Roach Motel. The Roach Motel is gone, so no.
Speaker 4: Of our lives.
Speaker 3: That's why she's so out on that. That's why she's letting you booze up because she's got a place to stay. Yeah, you're all in case you might get evicted. She's free.
Speaker 4: Sit She has been on her best behaviors.
Speaker 3: Yes, there you go, no throwing booze across the room.
Speaker 2: Now, by the way, there's a guy on Venice Beach listening on the iHeartRadio app in a Coleman tent, looking around, going I don't want his situation.
Speaker 3: I'll take what I got here. I'll just deal with it. Oh, my plots are the best. They are the best.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio App.
Speaker 2: We turn it over to a man who I believe he's in the Alps. He is currently trying to win a slalom championship for the Northeast. He's the one and only Albert Breer, the star of Amazon's Thursday night coverage on NFL on Prime their insider, senior NFL reporter, lead content strategist at the MMQB. Get him on ex at Albert Breer ab how is the powder this week?
Speaker 8: Well, I am a pretty good skier, but no competition this week for me. We are driving from from one mountain to another right now, so this might be an all time performance for my phone. We'll see. Got a car full of kids too, if that helps. Sweet build the atmosphere for you guys a little bit here.
Speaker 4: Is there any chance that we get some of the kids chiming in or maybe someone getting scolded in the car.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, that's definitely possible. I'd say that's in play right now for the next fifteen minutes or so.
Speaker 5: We'll do it. Happen awesome one of them, and he was getting scolded when y'all were heading to the.
Speaker 3: Hockey Championship.
Speaker 8: My wife, my wife's sitting right next to me, was horrified.
Speaker 5: High wife, It's okay though, that's good parenting. We could tell y'all were that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's why I took it off the bluetooth and I'm on, I'm going handheld here, even though I'm not sure if it's legal or not Vermont, I have I have the phone in my ear right now.
Speaker 5: How does the ice skating skills of your child translate to him on on the skis and on the slopes.
Speaker 8: Is this it actually yeah, it's actually you know what, like it really does help because you know, I think one thing off like and growing up here you sort of learn how to do both, and you know, it's just it's learning. It's a like not having a fear of something being really like slippery underneath your feet, right like something concerning about that. The actual act of skiing versus skating is the same is that you're you're skating on the edges of your skates, right like, You're not skating on the flat part of your skates, which is the same as skis. So if you learn a ski on your edges, you'll learn how to skitches too. So there's definitely some carryover if you want the technical explanation.
Speaker 3: For larn there you go.
Speaker 5: Was there a carry over into that Canadian USA game last night? Did you guys watch it? How did you feel about it?
Speaker 8: That was awesome, wasn't it?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 8: I mean the intense I mean that was that was incredible, incredible, incredible level of competition. And it's like, now, I don't know that that would transfer over to any other sport, but you could do that in any other sport and replacing an All Star game.
Speaker 3: But I mean, boy, all right, so Albert Breer with us here.
Speaker 4: You move this interview off just so that we could be right here in the middle.
Speaker 3: Of the mountains.
Speaker 2: So Albert, I have a so football question for you here the Matt Stafford stuff that's out there where you know, Well, there's money, he wants more. There's the potential. We talked to you about this in New Orleans and you said, no, there's like a real potential. Maybe he's not back with the Rams. Is this strictly money or is there maybe more here because it seems like that's a great spot for him. Maybe he would cut him a deal. Yet he has to be paid in the top ten according to some reports.
Speaker 8: Well yeah, it's it's a few different things. It's money for sure. And look like you know, LeVar Brady, you guys know how this stuff goes through your players. Like the the raise he got last year, a five million dollar raise he got last year wasn't really a raise. It was they were moving money forward. So they borrowed four million dollars from this year and a million dollars from next year to give him a five million dollar raise. So that basically means like, yes, it's a five million dollar raise on paper for that particular year, but now it's a pay cut a future year, so you have to reckon with that. That negotiation was very difficult, took about six months for them to find a solution. The solution was very clearly a band aid, and everybody knew they were going back to the table and that's where they are now now. I think for Stafford, definitely, you know, you want to you want to be where the market is and do you want some guarantees in there, and you want to know you're going to be the starting quarterback and all that different stuff. As silly as that sounds, but that's part of it. No, boy, you know, they're much they're much younger than they were a couple of years ago, and you know, so they're building around this younger core, and so the question becomes, do you want to pay all that money and still go to year to year? So, in other words, is Matthew Stafford telling you I'm good for this year or is he telling you I'm good for the next three years? And if you're gonna give them a ton of guaranteed money, are you, okay, if it's just for this year and then next year you're right back here worrying about your quarterback situation again. Or if somebody comes along with the first round picker, you better off trading him for a first round pick and going find going and finding a bridge like a Sam Darnold or somebody like that, where you've got a little bit more certainty beyond this year. It's complicated for all those different reasons. I think Matthew wants to remain a Ram and wants to keep playing for Sean mcday. I know Sean McVay wants Matthew Stafford to be his quarterback. But whether or not they can find a common ground contractually and an agreement on what his plan is, not just for this year but going forward, I think all that's the stuff that needs to be worked out. Probably, you know, one way or the other, you're you're going to get closer to closure on it at the combine next week.
Speaker 4: Albert, I'm going to ask you about Rogers. Do you think he's done or do you think he wants to keep playing. If he does keep playing, where would be the best destination for him.
Speaker 8: Well, so he told the Jets that he intends to play in twenty twenty five when they were going through everything. Now you and I both know Brady like that can change, but like that was his intention, and he said that was his intention to the Jets. I also know, just for my communication with him, you know, and sitting down with them for a while last summer like that, you know, he really felt like he had unfinished business coming off the Achilles and he didn't want to go out like that, and off the area that the Jets have, I'd imagine he wouldn't want to go out like this either. So so yeah, I mean I think he wants to play. And you know, now the question becomes the Jets release him, do they try to trade him? You know, they're still working through how like the divorce is actually gonna be consummated. As for like places that I think would have some interest in them, I mean, for me, like Pittsburgh's the ultimate one for Stafford, for Rogers. As far as like a team that could use like an answer for right now that has a lot of guys and a lot of pieces in place, the pep for championship right now. You know, I think Rogers would love the idea of going to the Rams. You know, he lives in Los Angeles, so that's obviously a part of it. With the Raiders, with Pete Carroll look at him and with Aaron be enticed by that, even though like they aren't as close or anywhere near as close to compete for a championship as the Steelers are. You know, I I see all those sort of as as possibilities. And again, like I think, like his amount of opportunity is gonna be very narrow because you're gonna have to check a lot of boxes to want him, and you're gonna have to check a lot of boxes for him to want you. And you know, like then there's the whole thing is like you know it is he's still capable of playing at a high level over seventeen THINKU up flashes of it at the end of last year, the Jack in particular.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's still there.
Speaker 8: I'm here, all right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're going a little bit down at the risk of it going out again, I'm gonna ask you, and.
Speaker 8: It's gonna be an all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no worse, no worse, don't really Kujas in the background tearing to somebody.
Speaker 5: So it's a good can I ask you the Michael Parsons contract situation. Is there anything that we could be missing? You know, when there's a new coach, it's always always say you go into the Russian Roulette type of play. You keep removing bullets from the chamber. Oh not from the chamber, but from like just the whole entire you know, deal when when you get a new coach, like remove it because you're not that guy. You know, you get removed from one more guy.
Speaker 3: It's not that guy. Next thing, you know, you know, the bullets in the chamber.
Speaker 5: Is there any way that Michael Mike Michael Parsons could be I guess viewed differently than what everybody's looking at and saying, Okay, we need to build our offense up, which they do and that's probably the biggest priority than anything else. Does that does Micah's contract situation supersede or does it fall in line with what Jerry Jones is going to have to spend in order to one keep him and keep him happy, but to make this this team better for for Shottenheimer.
Speaker 8: All right, So like LaVar, if you're talking about him as a player, I don't think there's any disagreement. He's a unique talent. You know that better than anybody he's I think if you look in the craft even you can see like psychabul Carter and Jalen Walker from from Jordan Jorge. Yeah, it's almost like it's almost like Micah like launched new genre, you know of like this kind of Swiss army, nice pass rusher who can also play off the line and all that. So I think everybody's an agreement on what type of player he is. Some of his relationships in that building were strained, and I I like that whether or not the content last off season, but I know, like when their new coach come in and anybody who's been around Brian Schottenheimer coach, I'm the other person he is right like and how he's got like a little bit of that Pete Carroll to him, where he's very like just an optimistic guy who's don't work with anybody that may wind up solving some of the things. You know, Now the question becomes are you willing to pay him forty million dollars per year? Because I think that's probably where the number is gonna wind up being. And if you have a hard time wrapping your heads around it after you pay Ceedee Lamb thirty four million and Dak Prescott sixty million. You know, if a team calls and offers you to first round picks and is willing to pay the forty million dollars that Micah Parsons probably will want, are you going to listen? And I think that that's where this is right now. Like, I don't think the Cowboys are going to call around and shop him or anything else, but I think enough people have heard about some of the relationship issues from last off season there that if they're willing to pay what it's going to take to go and get them, then like yes, you pick up the phone and you see, okay, Like are they going to hang up on us? Are they going to listen to us? So I think that's sort of where it's at, you know. And again like I don't know, you know, I don't know what the cowboys appetite for listening is right now, but based on where it was six months ago in base, on how much they paid those two other guys, I mean, I would think there probably is a price point where they would have to think about it.
Speaker 3: Wow. Interesting.
Speaker 4: However, I got one more quick one. The Combine's coming up in Indianapolis. How much longer will the combine be in Indy?
Speaker 8: You know, I don't know if there's like now, it's like if we are maxed to.
Speaker 3: Thank jez, we got greedy. We did huh damn, we weren't greedy. Yeah, you know that's unfortunate. Well, the mountains are due to you.
Speaker 9: Listen Albert Brier assuming uh you know, oh, there is there he is, all right, there we go all.
Speaker 8: Right, yeah, yeah, okay, So the teams are sensitive about it is the metal.
Speaker 3: We're not good. Yeah, yeah, we're not good. I mean, listen, you know we're not good.
Speaker 5: But we want you to be safe. Ab make sure we get to your neck. Yeah, you're going in and out so much. Just just be careful and be safe.
Speaker 8: And it was it was a valiant effort.
Speaker 6: It was.
Speaker 3: It was we can actually hear you now.
Speaker 8: Okay, Well you guys want to finish.
Speaker 3: Come on, yeah yeah, Megan, hit it quick too, before you go back out.
Speaker 8: I think the medical.
Speaker 4: Do you smell that smells like sum them down?
Speaker 3: Oh come on, somebody? Oh geez, well, geez, Johnny, you don't have to pop on that.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the Nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: By the way, apparently this was thought to be some breaking news, but the New York Yankees are finally going to allow facial hair for their players for the first time in forty nine years. So congratulations to everybody who can grow a beer the place for the Yankees. You know, I don't have to shave that bad boy. Got of a tradition there in baseball. So that that'll wrap up our coverage of Major League Baseball here on this Friday, we do transition over to this which should be a sad tale, especially for you guys. There was a decision that was made, and that decision is that, according to the Sports Business Journal, USC and Texas have canceled their spring game this year. Ohio State and Nebraska have done the same, And so it feels like this is another aspect of nil the growth of the sport, the change in the sport. But apparently spring games are on borrowed time and they're going to move and be moving away from that great tradition.
Speaker 3: So there's that do with that one? Do you want that one?
Speaker 4: First? It's disappointing in part because here's what's getting lost on everything is we're now making decisions on a sport at it's not an amateur level anymore, but it's at a lower level where there's still a ton of development that goes on. I mean, you've got a son that's now enrolled at Penn State. Imagine what he's going to look like, be like, play like in three or four years. You know what I'm saying. And what bothers me about this is we're making decisions to take away bring games for two reasons, all right. And we're talking about like top school, blue blood schools, you know, USC, Texas, I think Ohio State. They're all opting instead of having a spring game, basically having what the NFL has and having like OTAs. And it's for two reasons. The first is injury related. There's concern about injuries, which I mean, maybe I'm missing something. Has that not always been the concern? Yeah, that's literally always been a reason for concern for every coach in every college football program in the history of college football. So that's the first thing. The second, though, that's most important and probably trumps all of it, is it's the money aspect that's involved with you know, whether a guy's playing and starting if he's not using the transfer portal to get somewhere else. You know, when I mentioned injuries, there's an element of guys not wanting to do it because they're slated to go in the first round after the next fall. You know, why do they have to be a part of it, which I mean in all honestly, they can just sit out and let some younger guys play. But it's the money aspect of things, because you've got players who are looking at that spring game and being told by their agents, being told by their caretakers, whoever it is that they're you know, this is where you're on the depth chart. If you want to leave, you and go play somewhere else, get paid more. And so now they're looking at these spring games as an indication of that. So coaches are fearful about putting out depth charts, having guys go out there and play in these spring games because they don't want to lose players potentially to not playing as much in the spring game or or you know, having a poor performance and now all of a sudden, they're not gonna be a guy that's gonna be viewed as a starter going into camp. So they've got this window to transfer. I'm gonna go. I'm gonna go jet and go try to find more money elsewhere at a place where I can start and play. So, like I understand in saying all this too, people are gonna say, well, yeah, shouldn't that player have the opportunity to do that if they want? Sure, if that's if that's how you see this, Like if you don't believe in development, if you don't believe in trying to develop, and maybe there's a point in time where you're not ready, and maybe that's what this is. Like there's a bigger story here about life where at times you can get exposed and say like maybe I'm not ready yet, maybe I need more time, maybe I need more development instead of just going somewhere else because I'm not getting an opportunity here at one of these bigger schools. But that's in essence what you're seeing, and it stinks, It quite honestly stinks.
Speaker 3: It's a great event.
Speaker 4: The spring game is a great event for a lot of folks around the university, not just football, but like everyone else, other sports teams, other students, other people around, you know, the alumni that come in for it, and so it's disappointing now that's not going to exist the way I once did.
Speaker 5: I'll say I watched the evolution of the spring game from when I played to now, and it is certainly taking on a different a different feel. And I said this maybe six years ago. It's like the attendance isn't the same, Like there have been times where they reported some really really great crowds. And I'll just say, in particular specific I've been to several, you know, different schools where I've gone to their spring games in recent years and the game wasn't you know, it wasn't a game anymore. But I would say more specifically, because I go to Penn State pretty much every year, I watched the evolution of it, and it has slowly turned into a glorified practice in front of the public. The fans are able to come out and watch the team practice because it was not they call it the spring game, but it did not come across as a game at all. The punts, the kickoffs, it was controlled and it was ran just like it was a period in practice. The way the way the game quotes was ran. It was ran like a practice you blew the whistle did. At a certain point, running backs weren't being taken to the ground, let alone in a pass rusher getting close to the quarterback in passing downs. So to me, it was the spring game has ultimately turned into what would be perceived as a spring practice, a public practice that is held in the main stadium and people are able to come watch and attend, and it's a it's considered to be a preseason or precursor to what the team may look like going into the next season, is how I would look at it. So I don't know that it's based off of the current NIL or transfer portal as to why the game has evolved, but I do think that there are reasons why coaches have evolved what the game has red present it because when I played, it was really a game. You had blue versus white, and you came out and it was literally a real game. It was a game who's going to win the game? It was tackling. Now, we weren't able to tackle the quarterback. That was something we weren't able to do even when I was in school. But everything else was live, Everything else was live. That's just not how it is anymore. And it's interesting because I don't see the amount of people coming out to watch it like they did, like it was literally like a game when I played. It's more like people are coming out. It's kind of festive. It's not as much festive things as there would be if it was a regular game Saturday during the season, but it's still a little festive. People are able to come out. The weather's changed and they do some tailgating, they have some fun, they go and watch the game, but it's pretty light.
Speaker 3: It's very light anymore. So I don't know. It's an evolution of what where the sport is.
Speaker 5: I'm certain now now that we're looking at it, with the NIL and the transfer portal being more prevalent and being you know, a part of college sports, it definitely is playing a part in it now. But I think that the game has has continued to evolve from the nineties to where we are now, you know, and you know, the twenty twenties of what's going on in you know, college football. That was one of those aspects of college football that I didn't understand until I got to a place that really loved college football, because growing up in southern California, it's not like, hey, man, USC UCLA spring games right around the corner, you guys going it. Just it didn't have that that gravity there wasn't you know, there's not that appeal, that interest in it. But then you get out to SEC country, ACC country, and it's like, wait, you eighty thousand people show up to your spring games. Really that might be, but there are places where they were doing eighty to one hundred thousand people.
Speaker 3: That might be a little embellished. You don't think last.
Speaker 4: Year I called again, I was there for it might be one hundred percent.
Speaker 5: That might be a little embellished, that's all I'll say. Definitely wasn't that might be. I could dig it might be a little embellished. I know you feel inferior to them at this point. I don't feel inferior. I could admit that I don't feel inferior at all. It could be a low embellished.
Speaker 2: Okay, but we'll call it seventy five thousand, all right, we'll round down. But the point is it's a practice game in which sixty to seventy to eighty, et cetera, et cetera, A thousand people show up to watch their team, and yeah, there may not be a benefit from a financial standpoint to the players, or I know, like Mike Florio took the approach of well, they can't make money off it.
Speaker 3: But I would imagine for that.
Speaker 2: Town, like the businesses around that town, of course, that's a huge money maker. And now the opportunity's gone because things are changing the way they are.
Speaker 4: April thirteenth, twenty twenty four, Ohio State has eightyenty twelve people who attend the spring game there at Ohio City. Other notable big I guess spring game attendance is you had Alabama at seventy two thousand, three hundred and fifty eight, reportedly Nebraska at sixty thousand and four to fifty two.
Speaker 3: Michigan Notre Dame, and it goes down from here.
Speaker 4: Oklahoma had forty five thousand and eight sixty one, Clemson with forty seven thousand fans. Notre Dame had about thirty seven hundred and twenty eight. So, God being ballast, I'm not only going to send you the article with this, I'm actually going to send you the fact they have video evidence to go along with it.
Speaker 3: I don't know that video evidence would give a you are you going to sit there and count?
Speaker 4: I'm not, but it feels like this is a weird hill to die on.
Speaker 3: I don't need to die on it. I'm not dying on it, and I'm not going to argue with about it. I'm just saying I could stand on it, standing on that hill.
Speaker 5: You standing on that? I just said it could be I mean I could be wrong. Hey, forget about movie balancing on like a pogo. Stay, let's just move on. Hey, forget about it. Forget about it. Not to say what I said. I'm not going to die on that hill, but I said what i'd say, Lee. This is gonna be a weird request.
Speaker 3: But can you look this up?
Speaker 2: I believe that there was one year in which Georgia had a spring game and Ludacris showed up and handed out condoms. That was Kentucky and that was midnight. Man, I think that was I think that was a Georgia game. Georgia spring game?
Speaker 3: Was it?
Speaker 4: And if it was right and it was basketball, wouldn't you think would be Drake? If anyone good call, doesn't he kind of follow like the bandwagon programs?
Speaker 3: Yes, Kobe Roster Kentucky. I believe this was in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 7: Yes, it was Georgia, to the delight of ninety three thousand in attendance at Sanford Stadium.
Speaker 3: To the delight of ninety three thousand, and he brought U brought condoms, Yes he did.
Speaker 4: How about ninety three thousand condoms.
Speaker 7: I don't think he brought ninety three thousand condoms, But that was the attendance.
Speaker 3: Who paid for all those? USA? I d well done hard right hand by Quinn.
Speaker 4: Maybe maybe it seems topical these days, you know.
Speaker 7: Wow, So Georgia actually apologized for giving Ludacris the condoms to get to hand out. They gave them to sixty five grand as well as well as two bottles of his own cognac.
Speaker 3: Wait say that again.
Speaker 7: Georgia apologizes for giving Luda sixty five k for the for the event, condoms and two bottles of his own cognac.
Speaker 5: But I think he was handing out the condoms. They gave him two bottles of his own cognac.
Speaker 3: A couple of balloon animals for the road. Other all that. Wow, okay, all right, better safe than sorry, you know what I mean? Very interesting?
Speaker 7: According to the contract, yeah, they a box of condoms was included in the the contract.
Speaker 4: Lee, What would you be looking for if you're a college student?
Speaker 3: Those two bottles? Yeah, it sounds about right.
Speaker 5: What do you do one of these now? And shot glasses instead of a condom? He'd used one out of the two.
Speaker 2: By the way, I am showing that Penn State will close its spring practice April twenty six.
Speaker 3: With the annual Blue White Game. Yeah, so are you going to be over there for spring game? Of course? I mean how many thousands of people would you say? The over under? I don't know. Yeah, for the attendance there, thirty twenty twenty five. But we'll we'll report forty. You know, it's messed up.
Speaker 5: Man will report whatever whatever number you know you could get too off of. I'll say this maybe at any one point in time, like everybody as a whole who comes in and goes out, I could see if the numbers got there that way. I could see if the numbers got that way, you're counting everybody who walks in, which I don't know how you keep.
Speaker 3: Track of AT. I don't know how you keep track of AT.
Speaker 4: I mean there's security measures where like you can have a counter this as part of whatever people are walking through, right.
Speaker 3: No, there's not. Some stadiums don't have counters. They don't have counters, so.
Speaker 4: When they when they scan your ticket, you don't think that counts as well.
Speaker 3: But I don't think they scan tickets at the Blue White Game.
Speaker 4: Oh I think they do. You have to nowadays for security measures.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 5: I'll pay attention more this year. I've never really used a ticket ever, so I don't know. But I know the few times that i've I did pay attention going into the Blue White Game. It'd be no different than just walking in to a practice or I don't think they had tickets. I don't think there's tickets to the game.
Speaker 2: I remember off the top of my head, Ohio State used to charge five bucks. Think it was five bucks and you got a ticket to go to the spring game back then.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't recalls. I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't recall their ever being charged to come to the spring game. I don't recall that. Not not for parking. It's like first come, first serve or whatever it is that they have set up. If you already have your your slip, your your parking space, like when you tailgate. Maybe it's still yours. I'm not I'm not certain. I don't want to speak out a term, but I do not think that they're you are presenting a ticket, you know, Lee?
Speaker 2: Can you check a couple of things, price to get into the Penn State spring game and also yearly attendance, because I want to see how big of a lie they told each year when it comes to just the numbers. Here, what's the price to get into that spring game?
Speaker 5: There?
Speaker 3: I'm seeing free for the Blue White game, but they can't hold on probably packing them in. They're not starting around twenty dollars. Okay, interesting the tickets for the Blue White game. Yeah, I'm seeing free for the Blue White game. Is that right?
Speaker 2: I'm pretty I'm pretty certain it's free. Yeah, well, it'll all be gone.
Speaker 3: Here fingers chose fingers. No, that wouldn't least that's not me. That is dang. I don't think Lee's fingers moved that quick. Pounds it man? Oh give it out names you just say you that one? Did he dump that? He dumped it? Chris dumped it? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's dumping you mean Ronda, please dump that gentlemen. H Well, at least we know who's in charge now, Can I tell you that he dumped you?
Speaker 3: He dumped you for saying that.
Speaker 2: Can I tell you this runaway favorite to what MVP on the show this far Brady Quinn after this segment, everybody got it?
Speaker 3: Here then a mission averaging around sixty to sixty three.
Speaker 5: Thousand Admission is free for the Blue White Game. Fans will enter through gates A, B, and C, N E, which will open that noon parking.
Speaker 4: You don't think they're still counting just from for like security measures.
Speaker 5: Uh, like I said there there there aren't counters for you know, for that, I don't see there being counters even dor but because you have to scan, like if you scan that it's a counter, like yeah, but if if you don't have a ticket, I don't know how they're they're counting, you know, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean again, I don't know. I mean, I know I'm to getting the weeds here.
Speaker 4: There is AI surveillance where like when people walk through, it'll be able to count people as it's surveillant, like through camera footage. There's different software systems now and a lot of these stadiums for these big events, they have to I mean it's mandated to some degree just because God forbids something happen. Oftentimes they're they're trying their best to do to go to account for how many people are there, and God forbid anything happen. Like who's where they do. It's one of the reasons why, like they might have some way of tracking.
Speaker 5: That they do charge for parking. They do charge twenty dollars and regular vehicle per RV sixty or sixty sixty per bus. Cash or card sales will be accepted at parking. Now it feels like a hell of a place to have a stick City tailgate. I know that you know that's not a big enough game. I don't do it for that game.
Speaker 3: Let's go live Tour.
Speaker 2: I have a thought on Spring game attendance insider Christopher for the latest career.
Speaker 10: Yeah, so I've never done something as big as this, but I do know working like growing up, I worked at the Toledo Zoo and I worked a game for ut Rockets for I want to say, well, yeah, basketball, excuse me, you do have a hand counter there, like you know, even if you're not even way before AI, like you'd have a clicker, you'd like take it down for every person coming through that gate, and everyone puts those together.
Speaker 3: At the end of the night, when I.
Speaker 2: Go to church, a guy has a clicker, you know, he wants to know how many people are at church, you know, for some strange reason.
Speaker 3: But you know, there's a listen. I think.
Speaker 2: I think it's a sad day. It's unfortunate Spring games are going by the wayside. I just hope that, you know, more schools don't get accused of lying about their attendance members, because that's really what concerns me with all this.
Speaker 3: But again, to each their own