Speaker 1: Monday, July twenty ninety. The United States starts this day on top the official Olympic medal count. The US has won twelve medals so far at the Paris Games. Home country France is in second place with eight medals, followed by Japan with seven.
Speaker 2: Welcome to another edition of tea from Perry. It's a special edition of Amy and TJ. And in this episode, Simone shines and she limps. The US men's basketball team makes a statement, and US women's soccer makes an even bigger one.
Speaker 1: Plus Christians get an apology from Olympics organizers, Ozzie women get a side of sexism with their gold medals, and another heartbreaking meltdown in gymnastics robes watching this. We're going to get into this here at the bottom of this episode, but it's just another sign with this Olympics. What this shows, what this means on day one and two, just absolute heart break in gymnastics. We talk so much about Brody Malone for the US men, but we saw some just watching it on the women's side, an absolute meltdown and just the Olympics can be just crushing.
Speaker 2: Yes, and it's just one mistake and that one mistake can be the difference between a metal and complete failure for so many of these athletes who put everything on the line, and the margins are so narrow, the level of expertise is so high that one small, tiny mistake can be the end of a dream, and then it can lead to some mental problems that create bigger issues for the team. Right, it's like one mistake and then it leads to so many more. Unfortunately.
Speaker 1: But back to back days, we saw spirals, like, really, a mistake was made in a matter of you know what, inches, it's not the end of your Olympics. You might lose a point or two, not even a full point, but of fractions of a point. But that mistake gets in people's heads and we see world class, the best in the world just spiral. And I think that's been heartbreaking to see people that we know are best better than they're showing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and for them especially, and you can see it on their face, and it's hard to watch. It's hard to watch. And then on the flip side, you see those people who nail it, who just get it right, who are in the right mental headspace and they win, and so it's just yeah, you see the extreme highs and the extreme lows. But you can't stop watching, so.
Speaker 1: We'll get into that. And also I talked about the medal count at the top, and I always found it over the years. I found it somewhat I don't know, silly, but it's hard to keep up or quantify. Can a country actually win the Olympics? If we come out and the US has more medals than anybody, which usually is the case. Frankly, we got more athletes than anybody, did the US then win the Olympics?
Speaker 2: I mean no, but you can still take some pride in that. It's funny. I was actually reading up. I didn't realize this. I guess it makes sense. You talk about home court advantage. Whoever is hosting the Olympics sees a metal bump based on, you know, wherever the Olympics are. So France is actually saying that they want to triple their number of golds from Tokyo. That's a pretty big, big goal. But that does happen. So the host country maybe by default wins in a sense that they do better than they ever have before. That's my answer to your question.
Speaker 1: That's the other thing. Some people take it as whoever wins the most gold medals should be the winning team. So it's right now the US is ahead in overall medals, but I think in second or third when it comes to.
Speaker 2: Killing it in silver medals, killing it.
Speaker 1: Can we say we want That's just a weird thing. And I'm still adjusting too. We did this with World Cup and EuroCup. We watch them with soccer, of course, international soccer, but do in the Olympics. Do we now supposed to say the US are right? It's difficult. If you ever watch international sports and soccer in particular, they refer to the teams in the plural plural right, So here we would say the Los Angeles Lakers are boarding their flight. But if you just say the team Los Angeles is boarding their.
Speaker 2: Flight, right, the US is boarding?
Speaker 1: Okay, yes, but in international it's our. So the Los Angeles are boarding their flight, the USA are headed to the arena.
Speaker 2: You pointed this out, so hard to do for US. I don't know that I noticed it until you pointed it out. And then once you pointed it out, it was glaring. I couldn't stop hearing, like Sweden are pushing the field, like what it is not our? But yes, I and you've noticed that in the Olympics as well.
Speaker 1: Some well, I guess we've been watching some soccer.
Speaker 2: Do you have to retrain your brain as a broadcaster.
Speaker 1: But should we be doing that for the Olympics nowhere from the US, We don't.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to attend that. It's not I have too many other problems, just you know, getting my words straight in my head. I'm not going to then try to change up a verb tense. No, thank you.
Speaker 1: And we're watching live once again. We're recording as we're watching the events live. Of course NBC has a setup where you're seeing some stuff in prime time, but that stuff happened many, many hours earlier. But they do have peacock and you can watch everything live. So we've been up watching. Yes once again, we've been.
Speaker 2: Thought TV all morning and it's fun.
Speaker 1: It's one. I was saying, some archery this morning. I've got some volleyball going, synchronized, diving, synchronized. We saw metal awarmans synchronized dive. We're not gonna give you results here before they air in primetime, but we did watch that as well. And now we've got skateboarding on which we have now jumped on board and are really enjoying because we saw the women.
Speaker 2: It's fun. It's fun because what they attempt is so insane, and then you know they all know how to fall well, so no one's getting injured, but it is it's fun to see the highs and the lows. Is it not this will.
Speaker 1: It's to see what they attempt. I think crazy gymnastics is the one. Of course, the big women's final is later on Monday, but gymnastics is the one I'm so fascinated by because everything I see the athletes do, I can't do one thing that they do. I can watch golf, I can watch basketball. I can watch Okay, I can make a free throw. Steph Curry might make a higher percentage than I do, but I know how to do that. I can make a putt, yes, that professional might be better at right. I can see things that athletes to do and I can do it, and they're just the best at it. There is nothing a male gymnast did when we watched the other day that I can do a single move, like on the rings. Not one thing they do can I at all do.
Speaker 2: It's crazy because I spent six years as a competitive gymnast, nowhere near the level of any of these ladies. But I was a gym rat forty hours a week. You'd see the men and the women, and still I could do basic, rudimentary things, And I know how hard that was. Like, just to be able to do a back walk over on the beam took me years. You know, just to be able to do basic moves took so much hard work. So when I see the level of thel I mean, when you see someone like Simone Biles, it is like, I can't even get my head around how she can train her brain to train her body to do what it does in the seconds with the force and power and precision she does it with. It is remarkable. And you've been laughing because we'll hear the commentators who know a lot more than either one of us about these skills. We'll see someone nail a routine and they'll say, yeah, but you know, that's just kind of basic. So they're not going to get a big score because yes, they did it well, but they didn't attempt hard enough feats. And when you see someone like someone in Team USA, the level at which they're competing is like none other. So the things they attempt are literally deathifying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they've they've made that point a few times, some of the commentators that you actually are putting life in limb but they make it look so easy and they bounce back and it just doesn't look as dangerous as it is to a spectator and we're just in awe. So hats off to them. But yes, we'll start there with some own biles. They made their much anticipated well the team did, but she in particular Robes made a much anticipated return to the Olympics after what we saw in Tokyo. So we were all a little nervous, a little anxious to see how she would do. And she did what we're used to seeing Simon.
Speaker 2: Do you know what's crazy though, having watched her in Tokyo, and you could see her face, you could see her body language, you could see you were you were stressed for her, watching her this time around, even though she had a calf strain or a slight cap injury. I saw her face, you could see her mood, her energy. It was different. She was focused, she was ready mentally, and that was what was so cool. And then she killed it. I mean she killed it. The highest score on vault, the highest score on beam, the highest score on floor. She qualified for all three of those obviously, plus the all around, and she was I believe just underqualifying for bars as well. And it's just remarkable to see what she does.
Speaker 1: So she will be moving on and she will once again get a chance to go for the title of all Around Olympic champion. Sunny Lee is the other American who will be able to compete for that. Jordan Tiles came in in the overall, believe fourth overall, so now that means she should have been good enough. That means folks at the Olympics right now, the Americans have the top three scores or excuse three out of the top four scores in all of the women who are at the Olympics, but because of the rules, they can only take two in two.
Speaker 2: That's tougher. That's going to be so tough if you're Jordan Tiles, rules or rules, and we get that, but when you know you're that good. And if she had played for or played if she had performed for any other country, she would be one hundred percent competing for the all around metals. And you did see other young women from the United States who had ties to other countries and were able to compete under the Philippines. We saw some compete for Colombia. One compete for Columbia. So they found other ways because they wouldn't have had a chance because the US women are so good and if you want to be able to compete or have a shot at it, and sometimes you have to find a tie to another country, too bad. Jordan Tiles can't because she's that good.
Speaker 1: The thing I didn't know she finished that high. I just saw that a show.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's going to be frustrating.
Speaker 1: That's so frustrating. But the women finished number one as well in team, so they will and you have to help me here, Ropes. I'm not sure when the when the women's final team final.
Speaker 2: I believe that all around is Tuesday, so we just have it tomorrow.
Speaker 1: It's okay. I'm so excited the men are today. That's a fantastic to see. So it will all all have an eye on that. Also much anticipated. The US men's basketball team I'll play against first game of these Olympics, playing Serbia. Ropes, we were talking about this yesterday. You said, ah, Serbia shouldn't be a problem for the US men. What what's the big deal, TJ, Why you put it on the big TV. It's the US men. I really did say that, no, no, but and my response was, hey, hey, hey, they got Nikolai Jokic on the team. NBA MVP, three times NBA champion is well, he plays for Serbia, so don't sleep on Serbia. We got to watch this game, and sure enough it turn out to be blocked. Yeah, KD and Lebron did their thing. They're the most experienced Olympics on this team, had twenty three and twenty one points. Of course, this is stacked with NBA players. The team is so good that you know who didn't even get off the bench. Didn't even get into the game a single time in this game. Jason Tatum, the All NBA First Team player, the All Star, the guy who you just watched in the NBA Finals have a breakout playoffs really and win the title for the Boston Celtics. He didn't even get off the bench.
Speaker 2: You know what. And it's pretty cool. I was reading up a little bit more because I'm not as well versed on these players as you are. But he just agreed, as many of you know, to the richest contract in NBA history. And he was on the bench. So the US coach there, Steve Kerr, he I loved what he said about Tatum. He said he had a conversation with him about what the plan was for him to not play, essentially, and he was very professional. He said about being on the bench. He handled it well and will be ready for the next one. That's really cool to hear because that, you know, if you got a lot of big egos, and rightfully so deservedly so, so to sit on the bench in the first game of the Olympics, that has to be a little tough, and he handled it well and that's great to hear.
Speaker 1: They talk about this with Olympians often times, certainly the big stars you go. It's about country. It's not even about team that particular team. You're representing your country on a larger scale. So this isn't about my ego. Jason Tatum's fine. He know he can play. You know, he can outplay many of the guys till it's tough. But we will see him in plenty. But Steve Kerr to have that embarrassment of riches that you can't Jason Tatum in the game. Now the guys are going to play again on Wednesday against South Sudan, who, of course they barely beat in an exhibition just a week or so ago before there as a tune up to the Olympics. So South Sudan, if you hadn't heard about them, we'll be talking about them here plenty. They've made quite the impression.
Speaker 2: All right. And god, we had so much fun watching soccer again. I feel like we've watched more soccer in the last month than I can remember. But US women's soccer team, Yeah, they've played their second match, and if you had any doubts about them, well they were buried. I don't think anyone did. But playing against Germany and that is a formidable team, and they slayed four to one. It was remarkable to why and it was an exciting game. You know, you say, oh, it's a blowout, but it actually was a really fun game to.
Speaker 1: Watch because they were fun to watch to see them go off the way they did. And you know that they look they're ranked fifth right now, which everybody else in the world would just would love to be ranked fifth, but the US hasn't dropped that low in twenty something years to fifth. I have been one and two for long long stretches, so people think they were falling off with Emma Hayes's new coach they brought in, She's only been in there a few months. This was her signature win so far to beat a team fourth roe. I think Germany. The way she beat them, they beat them and the way they looked is very exciting.
Speaker 2: I'm excited because I'm remembering just last week and we talked to Brianna Scurry, of course, who was the goalkeeper for the famous ninety nine ers, but she said she went to go watch the team right before they left for Paris, just a few weeks ago, and she predicted that they were going to do really, really well because there weren't these high expectations given their ranking versus previous teams. But it's so good to see them. It seems like they're gelling so well. Just their pass game, like just they are operating the way you want to see a gold medal team operating and having fun.
Speaker 1: They look like I mean, it helps when the balls go in the back of the net, but they were having an absolutely good time. They're going to play again the next match on Wednesday, but they've already secured a spot into the next round because of the two wins they've already had. But obviously we'll be watching closely. Rose any Olympics, it's always going to be a little some apologies somewhere. You got this many countries involved, as going to be some diplomatic mess yep, but you got this many eyeballs, and somebody's going to catch something, and some folks feel like they caught something that has now the Olympic organizers, at least the opening ceremony organizers apologizing. They issued another apologize apology. You remember after announcing South Korea by the wrong name during the opening ceremony.
Speaker 2: Yes, North Korea versus South Korea, big difference.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean difference of all names to mix up. But this time they're apologizing for some imagery during part of the opening ceremony and robes. This is one of the most exciting parts of the opening ceremony, I thought. But a lot of folks you remember that part. They were on this bridge and there was kind of a fashion show, a drag show that was taking place. Music was going on.
Speaker 2: It was definitely a drag fashion shows.
Speaker 1: Show, as somebody was dressed as a Greek god and singing and dancing. All right, if you remember that scene, that's the one that has people upset.
Speaker 2: That's right. So some some folks, religious folks are upset that they believe that that scene depicted one of the most important images in Christianity, the Last Suffer Jesus with his disciples, so a very somber, important iconic scene for Christians, and they felt like that was made a mockery of, basically by having this drag show that ended in what looked like the Last Supper.
Speaker 1: And so the spokesperson for the Parislympics came out and said, and I'm going to quote here clearly, there was never an intention to show disrespect to any religious group. We believe this ambition was achieved. If people have taken any offense, we are really sorry. Those are fun apologies. Over the years, it's a different I apologize for what I did, and I'm sorry you feel the way you feel about what I did.
Speaker 2: But yes, exactly, but yes, wink, wink, nod, nod. Look, I mean I watched it. We were both raised in the Christian faith. I it didn't I mean, I didn't even cross my mind. It looked like art, It looked beautiful and avant garde and very French, and I just took that for.
Speaker 1: What it was.
Speaker 2: But interestingly, the Catholic Church of France actually declared that it was a pretty pretty I don't know. I mean, I looked at their statement and they aren't making any they aren't. They're letting us know exactly how they feel. Like this is the best way to put it. I'm choosing my words carefully here, but i'll quote then the Catholic Church of France said, quote, they believe that the opening ceremonies deplored a ceremony that included scenes of derision and mockery of Christianity. So yes, they are making their feelings.
Speaker 1: No, we want to respect anybody who looked at it and was offended in whatever way you were offended. They have no qualms with anybody who took issue. But also take them at their word that wasn't the intent intent to even depict it, But it certainly wouldn't have been the attempt to actually do harm, right, trying to hurt anybody's feelings or trying to make a mockery or make fun, even if it unintentionally happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ain't that the case all the time, though, I feel like it speaking of doing harm. There's another controversy brewing at the Olympics. In fact, a veteran broadcaster was removed from his position fairly quickly after something he said on Saturday night at the pool again, a veteran broad caster of heuro sports, and the Australian women had just won their gold medal the four by one hundred relay and they were celebrating, taking pictures, waving to fans, and this broadcaster kind of made a flippant comment.
Speaker 1: Oh, flippant. It was so many of these events, I think swimming they planned to be later in the evening, certainly the finals, because they're just high profile events. People like to get there and watch them, and then of course we'd like to see them on TV. They are always a part of prime time. His point he was making was that they were just finishing up in the evening, and that's a quote, the quote was finishing up. But he followed that up by saying, and I quote here, actually, Robot, I don't want anybody to be able to.
Speaker 2: Chop this up and do so you give the comments, okay, he said, well, the women just finishing up. You know what, women are like hanging around doing their makeup. So there was a British swimmer, Lizzie Simmons, who was next to him, alongside him commenting on the race as well.
Speaker 1: His broadcast partner. He says, this is in front of a very accomplished woman.
Speaker 2: And she said it was outrageous. She said it right back to him, and it prompted some laughter from Ballard. I think in his mind I was just kidding. We can all take a joke here. But that was not a shared sentiment by folks because that clip was taken. As we've seen this happen with many different controversies. That clip was shared throughout social media. There became an uproar of backlash that rose to the level in which Eurosport removed Bob out. This is a guy who's been doing this since the nineteen eighties, I believe, focusing mainly his commentating on water events. Water polo, is swimming, diving, all of that. So we have not heard a response from Ballard yet, nor have we heard anything from Lizzie Simmons as well, But we'll see if that is to come and we will certainly share.
Speaker 1: That with But I have right he's removed from the Olympics broadcasting. He wasn't fired from a job yet, I mean, is this still right? Well, and I'll ask you your reaction to it. Won't say if anybody's right or wrong, But when you first heard.
Speaker 2: This one, look, I look, it was inappropriate what he said. It's you know, women have been fighting hard to rise above any of those stereotypes, and yet stereotypes come often from some semblance of truth. So I understand the joke he was making. I don't think it was appropriate for him to make that joke on international television. But here's what I think. We all say things he had been on, and I don't want to make excuses for anyone who misspeaks or says something they shouldn't.
Speaker 1: Sounds like you're about to, though, but I am going to.
Speaker 2: Just offer some perspective that you're on the air for hours and hours and hours, you're tired, and maybe you say something that you shouldn't. Okay, fine, I just think it didn't rise to the level where he had to be removed without given an opportunity to apologize. If he had just said, hey, I should never have said that. That is not okay to talk about women in stereotypical ways, especially when we're watching four women who just you know, they just want to go metal, just absolutely crushed it. It was not appropriate. I do think he should have been allowed to apologize, maybe maybe take him off for a night to have him cool as jets and say something. But yeah, I would have liked to have heard him actually come on the air and say something like I should not have said that. Lesson learned. I think this is what we're trying to do here, when we're talking about wokeness and people learning how to respect each other and maybe not realizing even how offensive certain things are, is to give people the opportunity to apologize, to learn, and to grow.
Speaker 1: Wow. I am with you on all of that. I'm discouraged by what you said because I can't imagine the day we get to that. My problem with this was not that if he made it the comment, they knew about it immediately. They heard it immediately, and I'm sure his broadcasting partner might have even gone and complained about it immediately. They heard about it the next day and we're talking about it. I don't like that they waited to see what reaction was going to be before they took action either against him. Either he did wrong or he didn't. Either let him apologize or don't either keep him on the air or not make the call, don't wait for Tea Leaves.
Speaker 2: I would just yes, I agree, and I would just like the totality of someone's contribution to their position, to their job, to the network be considered versus just one one offhanded comment inappropriate. I just think that we wait too heavily. We give too much weight to the court of public opinion and not enough to the people who we know on a deeper life and allow them to make mistakes and apologize for them.
Speaker 1: That's what the business is now though, right these folks are invested so much money in this. I can't have anybody mad at me while they're watching the Olympics. So I'd be get rid of this guyause we're all good.
Speaker 2: Think about like all of the you know, anyone who's running commercials during the Olympics, anyone they want women, women, women, women. You know, we're we're advertising to women constantly, We're buying, you know, the products, we're you know, creating so much of what we consume in our homes are from women. So you offend women, watch out I just.
Speaker 1: Wonder how a lot of women would if they would agree with you. I don't know if they would hear that and go, okay, let the dode apologize, Let's move on and get back to swimming. It's terribly time.
Speaker 2: Un lesson learned. Maybe he could. That could have a huge impact on other men who might think it's okay to say things and say, you know what, I shouldn't. But when you just overreacted, I say overreact by immediately removing him, you know you missed the opportunity to learn and to grow.
Speaker 1: Something else going on. Maybe haven't we all done this? You made a joke on the air that will like, wow, I am not alone in home right now?
Speaker 2: Whoops? Did my thought become audible?
Speaker 1: It seems like he was tired that moment. So if anything comes with that, we will follow up the other thing. And it was the heartbreak of the day. We were so excited to watch women's gymnastics. Of course Simone Biles was a part of that, but you had a lot of women competing. It was a lot of women's gymnastics to watch. I'm not even sure Ropes if this moment made it to the Primetime company because we didn't. We watched this live. But if you saw Melie DeJesus dos Santos, who is a superstar for the French gymnastics team. She is the leader of that team. She has been around for a while. She's a former European champion. She even had moved to Texas to train with Simone Biles. She's at that level. Robes the French gymnastics team. The women had hopes of this being their year on their home turf, of certainly competing for an all around championship and Melanie competing for the all around the individual and none of them will compete again in this Olympics. It's over already.
Speaker 2: It's so sad. The expectations were incredibly high. They won bronze at the World Championships just last year and that was their first team medal since nineteen fifty. So you can see how badly the French wanted this. And they could taste it, they could smell it. It was right there. And yes, Melanie had been training with Simone and she said this after she fell off the bars, and then it just went downhill from there. She had major wobbles on her beam. Just nothing was as good as it had been in practice and in competition's past, and then it seemed like it was contagious for the entire team. Nobody did their best.
Speaker 1: And let's make basically hear clear aerobes, these folks didn't have like off days, were off a few points, had a little stumbled on a landing. These were major jaw dropping how is this happening type of issues.
Speaker 2: And I read a quote from Melanie. You could just see it on her face. You watched it the whole time. She just knew what was happening in slow motion almost but she said, I feel like everything I did in the last two to three years did not work out today. I feel like I've worked for nothing the past years, and that is just heartbreaking. She finished eleventh, and she would have had to have finished eighth to have made it to the final all around competition. So yes, none of those girls will be able that that was their last and final competition for the Olympics because none of them qualified for any of the individual competitions and they didn't they didn't make it to the team finals, and it really was devastating. At one point, I think even the crowd knew it was happening, and they saw her face and they just started cheering her name, and you saw it like it was. It was they felt her pain and were trying to almost give her a collective hug from the stands. It was. It was devastating they were I think, and you.
Speaker 1: Make that point again that on day one of competition for women's gymnastics the French, every single French gymnast, female gymnast is done. The whole team didn't qualify and out of five girls on the team, not a single one qualified for an apparatus. That is for a team in its home country that had all these high It was devastating to watch. And we talked about the most painful moments and it was painful. But Melanie yesterday she was crying in between competitions. By the way, it wasn't like we waited to the end and then she just let it all out. I didn't make it. She was crying like the whole time we were. I but the moment when she's fully in tears and the whole crowd is yelling Melanie, man, if you didn't have tears in your eyes watching that, then you are not human. And she put a heart she made a heart with her hands and put up in the crowd with tears in her eyes. But to hear them chanting her name, knowing good and hell, well, what was going on? That was gutting to watch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, there's so many That sounds so cheesy, I know, but this is one of the reasons why I think we all love the Olympics is you just see so many of life's moments, you know, played out in extremes on the screen in front of the world. But you see these athletes and what they put into it, and you know, whether they get gold or they go home empty handed, they have to somehow power through and make sense of it. And that's just it's just a euphemism for life, you know. You just see all the ups and downs and how these people rise up to the level sometimes and crash and burn in others. But it's just it's a universal feeling. We all know what it's like in life. We don't know what it's like in that sports arena. But certainly I think that's why we all feel it on such a like a just a primal level.
Speaker 1: It hurts because she said that quote was devastating, but an NBA player season ends in June NBA Finals, right, it happened in June. In four months, season starts again. If you lose in Game seven at the buzzer, you get motivated because you got four months, season's gonna start again. These folks at four years of working for that moment and it's over.
Speaker 2: And some of them age out because especially gymnastics, I mean, you know, you're twenty four. Yeah, Simone Biles is twenty seven, and that's remarkable. I mean she's considered an old woman in the sports, you know, and yet she's at the top of her game. So I love how she's proving people wrong in terms of like you have to be a sixteen year old to be able to do what they do. But still, when you're twenty four, you know, you believe.
Speaker 1: Melanie she said this is gonna be her last Olympics emotionally right now. I mean maybe she'll settle down in a couple of weeks and months and even a year, but she already is just just stag poor girl. And if you haven't seen her, she is just this is adult. All these horrible little just the sweetest little face and there's no way you you can't you couldn't be in tears watching her, and again we got to watch this. I don't know what they showed in primetime. We should find out. So maybe a lot of people listening to us haven't even seen that worth watching.
Speaker 2: You can go on to peacock and click on it and watch. And I think the other thing that stood out was the juxtaposition of the Canadian team because they had done so well. Yeah, so they were showing. They were showing the Canadian team, you know, they were all jumping up and down and smiling they qualified, and then they would just go back to the French team and it was like wah.
Speaker 1: Wah, in tears, embracing each other. It was a juxtaposition.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh my, I was like kind of wishing they wouldn't do that because I felt so it's made it worse. It just made it worse. Well, we have a lot to look forward to today.
Speaker 1: What's up today?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, we have I'm so excited the US Men's gymnastics Finals today, eleven thirty Eastern time to watch it on Peacock. Of course, this will all be primetime tonight for folks who want to watch it then, But we talked about Brody Malone just losing his hopes of an individual all around, but he and Frederick Richard will go along the rest of their teammates to try and get a medal for Team USA. So that's exciting.
Speaker 1: And the Whipp Richard. We can't say enough about Flip. We've been talking so much about Brody and he was the guy, right, Brody was obviously the big star and the guy, but Flip is a is a big social media star. Obviously he's a he's an Olympian, the dude as a ridiculous athlete. But he has now moved into the position to be the Americans pretty much best hope for the all around but also the leader of the team. Now we don't know how what does Brody have left?
Speaker 2: Just this this is it. This is his last competition where.
Speaker 1: They going to put him, Like, what's he going to compete on? Did he qualify for the for the final?
Speaker 2: They all compete on all of the all of the for the team.
Speaker 1: So he is still in there, but he but Flip has now taken the position that he's the one that seems to be stable. Now, well, he'll be.
Speaker 2: Going for the individual all around and that will be exciting for him. But yeah, they're all in it together for this, So this is this is their team uniting and all doing the very best for the all around. You know, the team medals, So this is a big deal.
Speaker 1: It's cool to see Flip Now in a position even as a part of the team, to after Brody's kind of fell off that he seems like the leader of the team.
Speaker 2: Twenty years old.
Speaker 1: He seems like that guy. And to see a black dude, just to see him representing in that way and doing something that we don't know, we're not accustomed to seeing a black man at the top of this sport on this stage. It is very cool.
Speaker 2: Yes, Spike Lee a big fan of his. He's in the audience every time. I like, I get a kick out of watching that too, So we're excited about that. And then swimming, big big day. There's nine events, but five of them will be the final, so they'll be medal rounds and we're excited about that. They begin this afternoon. You've got the women's two hundred freestyle, the men's one hundred meter backstroke, the women's one hundred meter breastroke, women's four hundred im I don't know what I am is individual thank you. I knew you would know. And men's two hundred meter freestyle. I didn't even google it because I'm like TJ will know and I'll just throw it to him. And US women's basketball facing Japan today, so that's going to be like they're looking to win their eighth executive gold medal. Feels like that's probably going to be the case. I love this stat. Every single member of team USA women's basketball has won a gold medal, either at an Olympics or at a World Cup. So I think they've got it.
Speaker 1: They're probably going to be okay, They're probably going to be good. Isn't that great for them to be at a position where you're just expected to win gold?
Speaker 2: I don't know. Maybe that's like, maybe that's a little bit of a mind game, but.
Speaker 1: They've earned it, is the thing they know. Who was it? Kelsey Plumb on night one of Yes I'm Meant to put this in one of our pre this podcast, she was asked about it before they boarded the boat to go down the seind with the opening ceremony, said, what do you think about all the history and what the women have on the line? And the streak and all the gold medals in the past. She said, all that doesn't matter. I'm just staying in the moment. Oh my God, perfect answer that she said. I am in nothing matters. I am in this moment, right here, this ceremony, this interview, I'm right here in the moment. I love that answer.
Speaker 2: See somebody, lessons to be learned, oh watching our athletes here, and we're going to continue to do it each and every day. Keep checking us out every day here during the Olympics. You'll get all the tea from Perry until tomorrow.
Speaker 1: We're not married to that name.
Speaker 2: I should say again every time, every time