Speaker 1: I miss a green, for example, I'm already upset.
Speaker 2: When I find my ball in the bunker, I'm really upset. And when I find my.
Speaker 1: Ball in a fried egg Friday Egg, the dreaded Frida Egg Friday, Frida Egg, Brian Egg, fridagg Bride Egg Lie, I'm about ready to run off of the hump course. Welcome back to the Friday Egg Golf Podcast. I am your host, Andy Johnson, and we are here. We are at the US Open week. It will be the one hundred and twenty fifth US Open at Oakmond. It's the one hundred and twenty fifth US Open, not the one hundred and twenty fifth at Oakmont. This is I think one of the more probably probably the most anticipated event in golf post Masters win by Rory, which we didn't know he was going to win the Masters, So I would say this was the one you kind of circled on the calendar as they tossed around. The quintessential US Open course. I like the term that Garrett Morrison came up with that for the phrase. Oakmont created his own genre and it remains the only example of that type of golf course. So we've got a big week ahead today I'm I'm excited to be joined by Jeff Ogilvie, the six US Open champion. We're going to preview the championship ahead. You know, obviously Jeff won at wingfoot. He was actually in the seven US Open at Oakmont as the defending champion, so unique perspective, and he was a part of our Oakmont video that if you haven't watched, go check it out on YouTube. It's one of the best things that we've ever made. Big thanks to our team that put that together. Cameron heard us, Matt Rush's really put a lot of work into that. Go check that out. Week of for anybody in the area. I will I am Brendan Poorath the Shotgun start. PJ. Clark will be at Local Remedy as well as some other members of our team. Joseph Lamania will be there. We will be at Local Remedy Brewing, which is right down the road from Oakmont. We will be doing things on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday and Saturday of the US Open, So if you're in, if you're going, if you're in the neighborhood, feel free to swing by. Those will mostly be nighttime after play. I think Wednesday night We're doing just a very casual thing, so come check us out, come meet, come meet there if you're in the neighborhood. But before we get to Jeff and the US Open, big thanks to our partner for the week of the US Open. They're sponsoring kind of the whole, the whole shebang of us of the US Open. It is Echo golf shoes, known for combining premium materials with comfort, durability, and performance. The brand is committed to innovative shoe technology and sustainable craftsmanship. Echo was established in Denmark in nineteen sixty three and is now a global family of shoemakers. From drawing the first sketches to presenting our finished shoes at in Echo stores around the world, we apply the utmost attention to detail and quality. Echo owns their own factories and leather tanneries, which allows for full control over quality and craftsmanship. The show shoe is so comfortable, I think that you know, I always go back. I tell this story a lot. But when I played us AM's those thirty six whole days, which they sadly have gone away from. But those thirty six whole days are the last of a state. AM always Echo days because the shoes are so comfortable, ideal for long rounds and walking golf courses. They have the best technology in it, whether it's the waterproof technology or the comfort, the way they approach the heels. These are great, great shoes. These are the shoes that I'm gonna be wearing around Oakmont. On top of that, they have some top global ambassadors including Lydia Coe, Hendrik Stenson, Eric Van Ryan, and Thomas Bjorn. That was the first player they actually signed. So yeah, big thanks to Echo. If you're interested in Echo, visit their website at Echo Ecco dot com. That's Echo Ecco dot com. I would look through their wide range of shoes. It's not just golf shoes as well as a tidbit, I'm gonna be wearing one of their just kind of casual shoes around Oakmont, So check it out at Echo dot com. Big thanks to Echo, and let's get to Jeff Ogilvie. All right for the one hundred and twenty fifth US Open. I'm delighted to bring back the six US Open champ. Jeff Ogilvie. Uh, you played the seven Oakmont. I wasn't didn't even put this together when we when when I reached out, But you were the defending champion at the seven Oakmont US Open. What uh, what's it like being a defending champion? This is an hunter that you know I will never feel. What's it like being the defending champion at a major?
Speaker 2: It feels pretty good. I mean, obviously it's a little bit different than defending a normal tournament.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 2: Because it's such a big deal. It's just amplified. It's it's a big deal. And what made it better, I guess was better or more memorable as I played with Tiger first two rounds because he I think it was he'd won Hoylake six Open, and we played with Richie Ramsey who was the US Amateur champ, so it was it was a cool group. Any time you played with Tiger was memorable. I mean I remember all of those times.
Speaker 1: So one of my favorite things was, you know, before you guys did the or the Medina Project, the Redal, I was like, what do you remember of Medana And you're like, well, I couldn't really see the chorus because I played with Phil and Tiger, and it's pretty much when you're playing with them, it's the worst way to see the golf course.
Speaker 2: That was so many people. Yeah, that was a memorable one too. Like that was there was three hundred people inside the ropes at that one. Whenever you played with Tiger, there were so many people inside the ropes because it's the only time anyone in the media center actually left the buffet and went out and actually watched golf, and they walked inside the ropes with Tiger. I felt bad for the fans because they could never see past all these photographers and writers and stuff who were watching on the inside.
Speaker 3: Memorable.
Speaker 2: That was great play with talking, I mean like just a good I was. I was the right age to play with a guy like that in times like that at a place like Goakmont. It was fun and I don't think either of us played great, but I think he probably ended up finishing better than me, but we were both finished on.
Speaker 1: A second or third. He was like sneaky in the mix, but wasn't really in the mix.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we were kind of doing okay. After the thirty six solls we played together. I was probably thirtieth or something and he was tenth or something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the uh, the the O seven, you know, besides Zelpato was the coming out party of Bubba Watson. That's the thing that I forgot. We did rewatch a few years ago and I was like, oh my god, this is like the this is Bubba Watson's like opening act where and it's funny because he played you know, it's this first major. They played really well, and then he never played well in the US Open after that. It's like and it made me actually think, like, you know, Okama gets this. I had this narrative of like, it's so hard after being there, and I wonder what you think about this. It feels like it's actually it's hard, but it does require some level of creativity.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely. I mean it's probably the hardest course if all the weather is neutral, if everyone has seventy if it's seventy degrees, then there's no wind. Oakland's the hardest course that we ever play in the US Hope. I mean, Wingfoot's close, but Wingfoot's more of about the greens. I think you can get out of Fairway bunkers a little bit at wing Foot. It feels I don't know, Winfot's really hard to but just on a just a basic like normal day, Oakmont is really hard, but it takes creativity because every hole is different.
Speaker 3: Most courses have a theme.
Speaker 2: I mean, wing foot is if you hit it to the front edge of the green all day, you're going to do okay because you're always under the hole. But that doesn't work because six or seven other greens go the other way. It's it takes all the shots. And I mean, I guess it makes sense that Bubba would play well there. You wouldn't think at first that he would play well there because would think it would be awful for Bubba. But he was a really elite ball striker. Really even though he got the ball to the spot in a different way to everyone else, he was a great driver of the ball because he could hit that little chip cut three hundred yards and it was a very safe shot. Yeah, it's it's just you have to be creative because you see shots at Oakmont that you don't see anywhere else. You know, you get especially around the greens, you just get faced with stuff that you just don't see anywhere else, and so you kind of have to have that ability to adapt, you know, and that you if you sum up Bubba Watson, it's adaptability, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Also, like the the ability to hit chaps can counter some of the movement. The severity sure.
Speaker 2: I mean like if you think of a green like ten or a whole like twelve, twelve is sort of a right hand as nightmare, if you like, because it's all falling away to the right, like for six hundred yards and you have to sort of hug it up the left hand side the fairway and hopes it hangs on bubble. Can hit that big right to left slice if you like, and it's gonna bounce straight. You know, there's a lot of tilt sideways tilt at Oakmont, and I guess shape He's shaped it more than anyone else, and when it lands on the green, it spins and so on ten. He's hitting a big drawer in there with a wedge and it's spinning against the hill and it probably helps it stop going over the back.
Speaker 1: I was thinking about just getting if I was getting ready for Oakmart and the stuff I would be thinking about in practice rounds. And I feel like if you go to like a tour stop, often you know, majors, even they somebody hits a bad drive, you don't see guys like hit approach shots into greens from broth right, like they pull it into the fairway or but to me, like I was thinking about, it's like maybe like the most important shot to practice is like the hitting into one green from the rough, just to see how a ball like scoots in there? Where approximately do I need to even land this because it's such a unique shot.
Speaker 2: It's funny you say that because most of the caddies. I always felt like my caddy, especially Squirrel, for the longest time through those majors. He's like what I'd always drive on in the rough and then just flick it out the fairway and hit it because I just wanted to hit it off the fairway because it's more fun. And he used to be mad because I wouldn't try any of these shots out of the raft. And I think there's some players who do hit shots out of the rough, but most of us just flip it out with the fairway and hit it. And you're right, you're not to wear yourself out and hurt yourself. I think it was O seven seven that Phil hurt his wrist.
Speaker 1: He said it was unsafe. The ruff was unsafe.
Speaker 2: The ruff was unsafe. Always won for a bold statement, but it was very long and falling over, falling over itself.
Speaker 3: But you should.
Speaker 2: You've definitely got to in a US, especially the US Open, hit some that you hit out of the raff like that you hit into the roff, to work out what you can and can't achieve out of the raf, because sometimes ruff looks tough, but you can actually move it a long way. Sometimes ruff doesn't look that bad and you can't move it. You've got to have a sense for what you can get away with and how much you can take it on. But like you said, the first hole, if you're coming out of the rough, you can't hit.
Speaker 3: The green, can you? I don't know. I mean maybe if you're.
Speaker 2: In the left rouff, maybe and you sort of have one tumbling up the right ruff.
Speaker 3: And it dribbles on the front of the green.
Speaker 2: Maybe, But you definitely should sort of assess how aggressive or conservative you should be out of the rough, because the number one thing is to just get it out of the rough. You don't want to be you don't want to drive it in the rough and then have your next one in the rouff. You know.
Speaker 1: It is one of the things that I think that particularly in US opens, that the adage of if you hit a poor drive, the next shot has to be like it's a different calculus in golf typically, especially at one at Oakmont, where you're you're kind of thinking about getting the ball back into a position to possibly make par as opposed to you know, this week in Canada, it's going to be like, oh, a hit and the rough, Like can I still make birdie? Possibly? Can I still you know, can I still hit it? Hit the green and have a putt at birdie? And when you get in this type of golf, it does feel like it becomes like a you know, it's like a decision tree, where like if this happens, then this becomes like and and so much of it is taking medicine and getting into back into a position where you can take a big number out of play.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think more than anything at a place like Gokmont, you've got to play every single shot on its merits and not have like a score that you're supposed to make in your head, Like you say on too, you just hit it as far as we can basically and work it out as we go, And like this is a birdie hole. Even if you're in the rough, you can make birdies. But if you drive in the ruff at Oakmont, you've got to all of a sudden you're sort of looking at the Okay, now it's I want to average four and a half from here, as opposed.
Speaker 3: To you know, you don't want to make six. You know, you drive it the first raff.
Speaker 2: It's like the rouff on the first the decision is, okay, I just have to make sure I don't make six. So how do I make my decision from there? That Okay, I want to make four. But let's take sick, Let's take double bog out of the equation. And that's the same on every shot at Oakmont. I mean putting. You're going to have some parts, some long parts and some really not long parts on some holes where Okay, I want to make this, But how do I hit this pot to make sure if I don't make it, I make the next one.
Speaker 1: You know, it is like you know, the analytics say like there they get to and you obviously have worked with analytics with your experience with the President's Cup, and they make these defiant statements about you should hit driver every time here, or it is better to be closer and above the hole than the below the hole. But I think when you get to a golf course as severely punishing as Oakmont, analytics and the severity on the greens, for example, like that five footer downhill is not better than the eight footer uphill, even though the analytics say is better everywhere else, like because of the way you just can't confidently stroke the putt. One thing I was thinking about off the team, particular at Oakmont is if they say driver but it just doesn't look right. You have to approach every shot at Oakmont with like a very aggressively confident swing. Otherwise that's when it can go off the reels and then it can go off the reels quick. So there's like almost a strokes gained of comfort and ability to play with some aggression that bucks the a lot of the modern analytical trends in my mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I totally agree. I think analytics they would disagree with me, but you've got to throw it out at Oakmont. I think it is definitely more about a headspace than a freedom. I mean, Augusta does the same thing to you. It makes you hit shots that you don't want to hit. But the only way you can hit it well is if you're swinging it with freedom. You know, like Oakmont's going to have some shots that you would never normally take on in a seventy two hole, but you have to take it on. Is If you don't take it on, the alternative is worse. So you have to be confident doing something you don't want to do. And that's probably why it's such a great tournament course. I don't think you could analyze. I don't think you could use I mean all these guys will have analytics from O seven, they'll have analytics from sixteen where players had success from around the course. Do you want to be back left edge on the first? You want to be the front edge on the second? You where to miss it and where not to miss it? That's over a hole, But the analytics takes in every player in the field over seventy two holes, and it's just sort of giving you an insight into where players had the success from on the course and where the bad spots were. That doesn't mean that's true for you, because everybody puts different and it hits different shots. And some guys might like fifty yard pitch shots when they lay it up. If they drive it, they're rough on the first they might be better to lay it up. Then they added to hit it over the back and try to get it up and down. But like over a collective one hundred and fifty people, then maybe over the backs better, but over what for one individual case, it might be better to lay it up.
Speaker 3: So I think you're right, Hope.
Speaker 2: Month's about trying to find yourself, get yourself comfortable on a very uncomfortable golf course.
Speaker 1: That's that's what I felt, you know, my one time playing it was like, I do feel like the thing that makes it makes it great and not gimmicky, is that I do feel like if you like get going, you can go like there's no you don't like, there's no reason you can't make birdies there because if you hit it into the right spots, you're like, okay, And there's now with the expansions on some of these holes, like there's enough space to like, oh, if I hit a good T shot here, I can you know, but the second that you get off is very bad. So it's where that calm, aggressive swing really works out there.
Speaker 2: Sounds like you're describing Scott Scheffler a little bit. At the moment. It it definitely doable I think that's why it gets away with it somehow. It Most courses this hard are just players don't want to go back and play again. But Oakmont somehow because you know that the good score is there. I'm sure we won't see it. We might see another sixty three or something like that. But if you can hit most fairways and most greens at Oakmont, if you hit every shot great, and you can leave yourself puts straight up the hill and every hole, you know, and if you do that like you can be pretty aggressive. We've seen some low scores around Oakmont over the years. But if you miss one shot in the wrong spot, like it's it's just carnage, you know. And that's sort of the pressure it puts on you all days. And there's no let up really, every even the simple holes can go really wrong with a bad shot.
Speaker 1: I was thinking about this about let up like where, and I think this is like so many people are going to talk about the eighth being three hundred plus yards in a way, it's maybe the most docile surrounds. I think that might actually be like the hole that you take a deep breath and you say, okay, you know, and we've seen it it's actually like the hole with the least amount of variability in it. It's you kind of stand on the tee and you know, if I hit a good shot, it'll probably going to make a three. If I had a bad shot and probably gonna make a four. In a way, playing it, did it feel like actually one of the more compared to the other par threes where I think like there's a lot of chaos potential where you could make a big number. Does that feel like a place you could take a deep breath?
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: I mean I think when we talked about it a few like a few weeks ago, I thought eight was a letup hole if I run through them in my head. I mean, four is a little bit of a let up, but it's only a let up if you hit the fairway, Like eight is a relaxed hole. I mean then not.
Speaker 3: Oh seven.
Speaker 2: They had the three hundred tea, but they only played at once. Maybe so we probably played two fifty a couple of times. Maybe you're two to twenty and a three hundred eight is like you say, it's a three or four. I mean, maybe you make a two with an amazing shot, but you're not really like focused on a two, but yeah, it's a three or four.
Speaker 3: If you miss the.
Speaker 2: Green, you hit it out, you're going to have a reasonable chance to make it, and if you miss, you just tap it in. Like there's not many other lead up holes out there. And it's funny that it's the three hundred yard path three that might seem to seem that way. I mean, they might play at three hundred every time. Three hundreds are long part three. I mean, I think they'll probably go on the next one up a couple of times. But yeah, it is. There's no other letups. Really, seventeen kind of feels like a let up maybe, but the job is seventeen is it's a narrow iron shot to hit the fairway and that's one of the scariest wedges in the world with no water. That wed shot into seventeen. So you can go really wrong on seventeen. You can make seven or eight on seventeen if you get it wrong.
Speaker 1: You know that's to my own herd. But I just drove the green. You know, it's easy. You hit it on the green, then you two pot and you get out of there.
Speaker 3: You know, simple way to let the scorecard. As USG I written on the top of it.
Speaker 1: I'll never go back, just so I can hold on to that up easy, easiest you know hole though out there, what were the scariest What did you feel like? We're the you know, one to three scariest shots out there, like the particular nitty gritty this shot I still think about.
Speaker 2: Well, the first green, the second shot of the first is a little I was. It's not scary because it's not that long a shot, but it's just how am I going to make this? How am I going to hit this green? Because it's just so severe sort of front right to back left, How am I going to do this? It wasn't that scary because if you just miss it over the back, you've you've got some You can chip it reasonably close as you're coming back up the hill. The third I found a very scary hole in I think there's rough over the back of the green this year, but when in seven, definitely it was shaved all the way down on the back. So it was either it felt like you're either short and running off the front or long and running over the back. Like it didn't you didn't see a whole lot of green there. You can't see a lot of that green from the fairway anyway, it's.
Speaker 1: Kind of a shinnercock shot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very repellent, it's very sort of pinehursty. Yeah, it's a shinnecock hole exactly.
Speaker 1: You're just playing straight up from a noun even lie to something that just sheds in all directions, right. I feel like that's shinnakock in that middle stretch of halls.
Speaker 2: And it felt like it feels like you don't You can land it and hit it on the green, but it doesn't feel like you've got a very big area to have it end up in a good spot, and if you missed that spot, it's going to be in a really really bad spot. Four or five, seven, eight, nine. Nine's a pretty scary tea shot. I think totally blind, you can't see anything, and you want to go left because you don't want to be in.
Speaker 3: The fairy bunkers.
Speaker 2: But left has got one of those ditches that's just you might never get out of and you're never really sure or even though you've got your lines in your book and you kind of know. I found nine are really scary te shot.
Speaker 1: The ditches are such a unique aspect because I feel like they're in. They're always in the places that you kind of want to bail a side, and then you're like, oh, wait, that's actually worse than the bunker.
Speaker 2: Well it could be. It's definitely worse than a bunker. I mean you could you could have ten swings, you could hurt your risk getting out of that.
Speaker 3: Stuff could be unsafe for rough in there.
Speaker 2: Nine. I think sixteens are really tough shot. Sixteens are really scary. Part three. It's even longer this time than when I played it. I think it's back to two fifty or something now, which is these past three? Is it getting pretty long? Insane? Yeah, Aan's a scary TA shot to atane is a tough TAA shot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would echo those. Those are like it's kind of where you it comes and go, like you feel like you kind of have to take advantage of, like in that like four or five six area of the golf course. Then seven, eight, nine is really hard, and then you kind of go on the back and it's like can I get something going early or at the end of the back nine? Can I get a sneak one at seventeen? It's a it's it kind of comes and goes in waves.
Speaker 2: Like.
Speaker 1: One of the things I like about the golf course, and we'll get somewhere else other than the golf course soon, is that it does have like it's really hard, but there are they have the scorable there's a lot of short par fours, like sub four hundred. When you start to add them up.
Speaker 2: It's very doable. I mean, like I said, I think that's why somehow, somehow we all we tolerate it, because it's very doable. Like there's birdies everywhere in Oakmont. It's just the fear is the carnage if you get it wrong, I think. I mean, there's a lot of hard holes that are just really hard to make in the world of golf, that are just really hard to make a birdie or a par. But if you don't, you just make a five and you're bogie or something, and you just go on Oakmont. You could be there all day on some of those greens. If you get it wrong and you get the wrong spot, I mean, you're just across the other side and now you're in rough on the other side, and now you could like it can be your mistakes are magnified so much that that's the fear like you say, I mean two two is a pretty straightforward four iron pitch, but if you get it wrong on that green, like you could be there for a while. You know, Like four is a pretty easy part five if you drive it on the fairway. But if you drive it in the church pews. Now you're third shots from three thirty, you know, because you've got to go sideways and then you're going to go for it too much and you're going to hit. You could hit it in one of the ditches or like it's it's the miss. It's the penalty when you miss at Ogmont, that's the hard part. If you hit great shots, you can bury every hale. Probably I would.
Speaker 1: Say that, you know, it's like even like what you're saying. When I played twelve, I hit a great drive and I had a hybrid in and I hit like I thought, you know, you look at everything is just screaming left to right, and I'm just like, okay, just get this, like just land it short left. It's gonna hum down there. And I just pulled it five yards and then I'm in this like thick ruff and the green. I'm looking at this green, I'm like, I don't think I can hold the green, Like, I'm not going to hit it in two. I just hit two really good shots, and I'm not going to hit the green in regulation on this par five because I'm in the worst spot possible. Because to hit the good shot, to hit the great shot, the might yield and eagle, I also have to contend the line is so narrow. It's your adage of like would tennis be interesting if you just hit the ball down the middle? Like one of the things about Oakbant Lake tennis is like where you need to get to on certain holes to really have a chance to score is on the line. And like twelve is a perfect example. You have to deal with that left rough on the second shot in order to get the reward of an eagle put on it. And then if you get hung up in the left rough, you're like, Okay, I don't know if I can hold this green.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean twelve is the best example.
Speaker 2: Like you to make eagle, you have to land it in the left edge of the fairway, very short of the green. Yes, to hope it hangs on in a good spot. But if you like you say, you miss it two yards to the left. Now you can't get your third shot on the green, and now you start thinking, well, how do I get my third shot to a place where I can hopefully make PA. So you've gone from pulling at a yard or two maybe making an eagle, to like, how do I make PA? That's just that sums up Okemond, Like that's like you said you went to the seventeenth green. You go for the seventeenth green. That's great if you pull it too through or three yards. Now it's hard to get it on the green from ten yards away because the rough is so long and thick, and it's the opportunities are there, but the only way. And it's so that's why it's so interesting. I guess, I mean, I guess it's sort of it hallmarks to like the great courses. Is that the great lines like third end at the Masters. It's like you've just got to hug the creek to really maximize your chance to do it. You've got to hug the trouble, like you've got to take on the risk to get the reward.
Speaker 3: But if you fail, like you just get annihilated.
Speaker 1: What do you I think a big topic of the beginning of the week is going to be score, and I think it's so conditioned dependent. I looked at the weather today. I didn't like what I saw I saw. I saw a decent amount of rain in the forecast. I think as of yesterday there wasn't a lot of rain in the forecast. So these things change. What would you say if we get it? We'll say a soft Oakmont versus a firm Oakmont? What would be your your just general gas un score?
Speaker 3: So O seven was what five over? Sixteen was? Under right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean DJ was? I think six under right with a penalty with which I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, i'd probably say soft. A few under, you know, single digits, single digits under. I think soft. It's still crazy hard, but you can fly it on greens. You can fly it on the first and hold it. You can fly it on ten and hold it. Like shots into the third are going to be easier because you're going to be able to hold it. It's not going to get crazy soft Oakmond. I mean those greens are pretty firm. It's gonna take a lot of rain to make them soft. But if it's firm, way over par I would say, I mean, it's just too hard to hit it. On greens when it's firm, because you have to be landing them short. And then the firmer it is, the more the slope, the whole general pitch of the place comes into play, and like gravity just wins. You know, you can't beat it. When it's firm out there, you can't hit some of the greens. You just can't hit.
Speaker 1: That's I got a message from a couple players who played it recently, and they I sat on a podcast, I thought, like the new par for US opens is four under, and it's like, that's the level par. It's four under. And they said that I was crazy and that it's going to be over par if it plays the way it's been playing recently. But I also believe that they all don't realize how good they are, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you never know, people follow the leader to a little bit. Like I think sometimes in these tournaments if the leaderboard, if someone gets off to a good start makes a few birdies, it makes everybody else think they can do the same thing, and everyone kind of follows, you know. I think sometimes the score under par is almost a reflection of like the best players in the field, and people just follow a little bit you know, like if Thursday morning, if everyone's watching who's playing in the afternoon and it's carnage and not everybody's over par and there's triples and doubles, everyone gets scared going out there. They play the course differently than if someone's going out and shot six under, you know, Like so it's the most impossible. It's a fun game to pick to play, like who's going to what the score is going to be, but you can never get it right.
Speaker 1: The other thing that happens is like if a player goes out and they get deep, there's like then like a restrict plate that goes on you. Whether it's like there's like a mental thing, you know, you can't just keep going. Uh, It's like you get kind of stuck and then people catch up to you. You know, it becomes more about like not losing the lead then continuing to add to the lead. And it's like one of those weird things with golf where it's just like really hard to stay in the moment and keep going.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, I mean that's it's also unique about Tiger and guys who go and win by fifteen shots. It's like he's not the rest of the field he isn't relevant, you know, he's just scoring the score that he would shoot whether anyone was there or not. You definitely get influenced by what other people are doing, you know, Like I mean, even just in your own group. If the guy you're playing with lands a ball where you wanted to land and it bounces over into a bunker that looks dead, you're going to hit a different shot.
Speaker 3: You know, you just are.
Speaker 2: You know. So maybe you end up scoring better because the go in front of you showed you that you can't do that, you know, But maybe you go worse because now you're scared and now you put it a bad swing on it. Mean, I don't know. Everything gets affected by everything else. Right, It's look, if it's firm, I can't see anyone breaking part. But if it's soft, someone will. I would say, these guys that like you say, they're really good.
Speaker 1: It's funny you bring this up. I never thought about that. With golf, is like the idea of like what other people do in your group, your fellow competitors, how they influence, like how you make decisions, like even like club time par threes, Right, it's like, oh, he hit that and it went over but it's like you could be thinking of a completely different shot in your head and then you go down a club and then you end up short.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it all like you play with better players and you end up hitting better shots because you see a shot that maybe you didn't see, you know, and you can definitely get dragged down like we've seen it. You see it forever.
Speaker 1: Like bad vibe groups.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you get bad vibe groups and everyone gets dragged down. I mean you see the match plays the most obvious. I mean, match plays a different sort of game, but the scores that people shoot relative to power match players just outrageous. I mean people go nine, ten, eleven, twelve under. They chip in from everywhere because they have to. You know, the guy they're playing against just birdying the hole. I just have to find a way to make a burdie. I mean, people definitely get affected by everyone else, and they're going to be affected at Oakmont just by the history of it. They're all going to be scared before they start. The practice rounds are going to beat them up. They're all going to be on the first two going, how am I going to get round here for four rounds? Like it's.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you get affected by everything.
Speaker 1: It's a that's a great point you brought up. And it's like the Masters. There is an extra weight when you make the turn on Sunday or you have t off on Thursday. There's an extra weight of winning the Masters because of the history of Masters. When you look at when you look at Oakmont and people that have won championships there, Jean Saraz and Bobby Jones, Ben Hogan, Jack Nicholas, Johnny Miller, Ernie Els. You know, DJ, winning a winning a US Open at Oakmont is a different pelt than winning a US Open at a lot of other places, you know, in a lot of great places. You could, you know, compare it to I'm a huge LA c C fan, but like winning a US Open at Oakmont is not winning a US Open at L A c C or even Pineer's number two at this point for sure.
Speaker 2: I mean it's a bit like Mialfield in the Open Road. I mean that's just produced like number one in Nicholas and number one in the world Ernie Els and Nick Faldo and I just you're right. I mean, it's it shouldn't be US Open to US Open. I mean, luckily wingfoot is places. I got a pretty good one. You didn't get cheam Er Spey, No, you take any us open.
Speaker 3: But you're right.
Speaker 2: It looks different, and it's different because you feel the history, especially at Okenmand. I'm sure you went in the locker room. I mean, it's a pretty amazing clubhouse and it's a cool locker room, one of those original locker rooms with spike marks on the seats, and you feel it when you're at a place like that. It definitely adds to it.
Speaker 1: Did you see in the lockers how they have the little booze compartment from the prohibition where there's like a little compartment that you can fit two bottles of booze in the lockers and when they build new ones they build it into it.
Speaker 2: Like the more you learn about this prohibition is that booze was banned, but everyone still was drinking, right like in the golf court with little stash, a little stash in your luck at a KP. Bow's like no, that sort of stuff's s amizing.
Speaker 1: This tournament, I think is the dominant headline beyond the course is going to be the big players in golf. I think it's a it's an interesting time. Obviously, we always have like our big whatever number, and this is always the story. But it feels like we've got like a class a player that's starting to separate itself with Scotty obviously, who's playing some of the best golf we've ever seen, Rory McElroy, Xanderschoffley Bryson, and John Rahm in the last kind of two years of major championships. What I think is actually fascinating is you start to look at it and there's like a question of who's the best US Open player of this era. So you have Bryson, who has two wins, but outside of his two wins, he has no top tens. Outside of those two wins, you have Scotty, who you know, obviously since he's term pro when he's been in his like formative three years, he's got he's got a second, a third, and a seventh, and then last year's US Opening wasn't very good. Rory has one US Open win, but since twenty nineteen he's gone T nine, T eight, T seven, T five, second second. Xander has three top fives, seven top tens, and eight starts. His worst finish is fourteenth, which is absolutely mind boggling eight US Opens and you finished no worth worse than fourteenth. It's a crazy stat. And then you've got You've got Brooks with his two wins. It's an amazing run. And the question is is it over? Are we passed it? You know, we like to, we like to, you like to go early on putting forks in people here. But and then you got rom first of Tory, t third third at Pebble, t ten at LA no worse than twenty third place finished since twenty nineteen. So it's like the guys like they are the best players in the world. And it feels like in the last five years of the u US Open, these have these are the guys that have been the main actors and that's pretty much it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well those stats are pretty telling. I mean, what do you say, They're just good players, like you're right, Like we you the Targer era, we had Targer and there was a few others, you know, feel out he's run and he had his run. A few others would pop up here and there. But there does seem to be five or six that seem to be that always show up in these big tournaments. I mean, Xander always shows up I mean, I mean, I don't know what Marco's US Open record is, but like he's sort of he's had an amazing major record the last couple of years.
Speaker 1: I think that's the one other player that you could put into this group that like you could be like, okay, that's that's another player in this group. But it's interesting. You know, he has one to ternament in three years, you know, basically.
Speaker 2: Which is interesting. Yeah, I mean, I think j T will probably do well too. But like, these guys are just good. I mean, the level that Chefler's playing is a level almost that we haven't seen. I mean, Tiger was Tiger, and it's a they're a different sort of great player. But Shecheffler just it's so peaceful and calm and stress free. How he wins tournaments. It's like even Tigers seemed to be there was more drama. That doesn't seem to be drama when Chefler plays. You know, his ball striking is just beyond deleite, and his headspace is like I've never seen anything like.
Speaker 3: I mean, maybe Jack.
Speaker 2: I never saw Jack in his prime, but it seems like very Jack, like very workman like not getting carried away, just hitting good shots and just wearing the field out, you know, and then all of a sudden on Saturday, whether Chefler's been on the leader board or not, all of a sudden Saturday afternoon, all of a sudden, there he is.
Speaker 3: You know, Xander.
Speaker 2: We haven't seen Xander play this year like he did last year, but it can't be far away, you know, like it's he's just that one one roundaway, almost from saying, oh okay, I remember, this is it.
Speaker 3: You know it's going to take. It's going to take.
Speaker 2: You would expect out of that list, you would would you take the field or that list?
Speaker 1: And this is where I feel like I've started to get and I felt this way at at the PGA, is that I've started to get to the point where I don't look at the leader board. I look to see where one of those names is at after round one and the first one I hit, I'm like that that's the leader in the golf tournament right now. And it's it's a wild I hadn't. I don't think we've been at this type of place in golf where it feels like one of those names is going to win. I would be almost shocked if if it doesn't come from one of those names, So I would take those names.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Kyile Hollowe very like that one.
Speaker 1: Like that.
Speaker 2: The lady board didn't really it was kind of a bit odd, and we didn't it didn't take shape, and then all of a sudden, Scottie berties what for the last five on Saturday and it's like, okay, this later would makes sense now, you know. But it took until the end of the day Saturday for it to look like what it was going to look like.
Speaker 1: And the only other person on Saturday and Sunday that you felt like we're going to win was like You're like, oh, Bryson might win. And then on Sunday it was like, oh, John Rom's gonna steal in this tournament. And it's like, that's the kind of weird situation. And after round one on our other podcast, I said, Sky Scheffler's leading at too. That's the leader of the golf tournament right now. And it's become this like leaderboard where you look at the leaderboard and you kind of find the functional leader, not the one that's actually at the top of the board.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, look, these hot these tournaments are really hard. I mean, it's more of a belief thing, and I mean you look, it's a it's a headspace belief thing that they know they're going to be there at the end because they always do it. They just it's almost an expectation. It's like, well, I'll be top ten this week because that's what I do when I play a major, you know, so it almost doesn't matter how it's like Rory how much how often does Rory not be in a major? And then at the end you look and he was fourth, you know, like it's he does it all the time because it's just in his head. Well, I'm a guy who finishes top five in majors, like it's a at some point, I mean, look, windhom Clark wins like people win for the first time, you know, I mean, Xander was that guy and then he hadn't won, and now he's won two and all of a sudden he's like, well, for sure, Xander can win. But before that we were thinking, was Anda cant when someone's going to win for the first time?
Speaker 3: You know, maybe at Oakmont. But you're right, it's a very.
Speaker 2: Sunday the Sunday, the finishing results feel very predictable at the moment necessarily exact winner. But like you say, like six of the top ten seems to be like, well they were always six, those six are always in the top ten. Like it does seem like that a lot the last couple of years, And.
Speaker 1: I don't know what it is. I think I think it might be just like how all around talented these players are. Where you start to look at like, I mean you just at this point with Scotty, it's like if you're playing against Scotty, it's like I think you have to like pray for poor putting, pray that he just doesn't make putts in a day because everything else is such a high level, you know, Rory, it's I hope he doesn't have his a game with his driver, you know. But like you start to look at the well roundedness as Xander last year when he was cooking was effectively same recipe as Scotty. Exceptional at everything in the game. You know, rom when he's going, he's exceptional at everything. And it's when you think about, like how does someone else win, It's, well, he has an above average week with one of his slightly deficient clubs, and everything else is cooking, you know, where these guys, they're so good at everything that they can have slightly below average weeks and still be in the mix and have a good week and win.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oh yeah. I mean, I don't know, Like you just it comes down to belief, I think, more than anything else, and you've got to kind of do it to get the belief. But it's a leap of faith there between where you're at and the result, where you've got to sort of think I can do it. I don't know. These torments are hard, they're very mentally challenging, these tournaments from the first two onwards, not just the physical test, but mentally. A lot of people can't see their name on the top of a on a major trophy before they've got it there.
Speaker 1: You know, what's it like when you think back to like coming down the stretch when you haven't done it, trying to get it done in a meter.
Speaker 2: Well, mine was kind of weird. Mine was kind of weird the way it finished. There was lots of guys with a chance, and I just ended up. I ended up the good one in the end. But I just I think it's I mean, I don't know, I don't know. It's a headspace It's one of those intangibles that you can tell when you the first time I ever played with Brooks, I don't know, first year on tour or something back in somewhere or wherever we were, are you just like, yeah, this guy knows he can do it. You could just tell whatever that is. You know, first time you play with Speeth, it's like, yeah, there's something about this kid, like he knows, you know, Whereas there's others who don't miss a shot. Lots of others who don't miss a shot and do everything really well, and you just look at them and go, yeah, you don't really believe, do you. I don't know what it is, and I don't know where it comes from, and I don't know whether you can can you get it if you don't have it, I don't know. Maybe it's winning a lot when you're a kid, you know. Maybe it's getting thrown into the right group, you know, having the right week and getting to play with Tiger at the right time, or playing with Chefler at the right time, or remember, like Mike, we're at Madonna in ninety nine, played with Tiger and went for a lot on Sunday and then a couple of years later, he wins the Masters, you know, because he gets belief out he didn't have very good day, but he gets belief out of that. We've seen that story a lot, Like maybe you can learn it, or maybe it's just what these guys have sort of cultivated over their junior career. I know, you play with j T. The first time you play with JT's like j or this guy knows he can do it, you know, Like, I don't know, it's just it's in some guys and it's not in other guys, and I don't I don't know what that is. It's a bit of an intangible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I felt that way with you know, unfortunately, like the back's been a huge problem. But Zella Taurus was that like you you know, and when you listen to him talk, it was like, Oh, this guy thinks he's the best of everyone, you know, And I think that's a good I think that idea looking at like who's won a lot, because if you finish, if you finish tenth a lot, there's a reason you finished tenth a lot, but not you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's also there's like, I mean, Brooks is the interest Like you mentioned Brooks Brooks and Ram especially, they win against great fields. It's almost like they need that rise. They need what Okay, now all the studs are here. Now I'm going to show you that I'm the alpha, you know. Like It's whereas if it's just in a middling tournament in the middle of the year, they're just a normal golfer. But you get into the US Open, and all of a sudden, they're the best golf from the field.
Speaker 3: Like I think, and Tiger just won everything. He just wanted to win absolutely everything.
Speaker 2: I think everybody's got a different competitive sort of fuel, you know, and some guys need need it to be the US Open, you know. I think this group that you're talking about, Sheffler seems to be able to do it every single week.
Speaker 3: But this group you're talking.
Speaker 2: About, the bigger the field and the bigger the event, the more they feel like I'm the one who's going to be up there at the end.
Speaker 1: You know, how would you rank those their six names, so it's it's it's Scottie Bryson, Rory Xander, Ram, Brooks.
Speaker 2: How would you Scotty's got to be number one at the moment, right Like.
Speaker 1: In terms of this coming this week for the Oakmart So for.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Scotty, for sure one.
Speaker 2: Rory is hard to rank because his best is probably the best. His best is probably better than Jeffler's best, But Chefler's the same every week, like he's just nuts every week. Rory kind of gives us some sort of strange ones. So I don't know, Xander, I'd probably have to put Bryson two, Rory three, Xander four. Who we got left?
Speaker 1: Ram and Brooks?
Speaker 2: Ram and then Brooks probably Now like the I think it's is it what we think they're going to play or their ceiling? I mean, because I think rams ceiling is clearly really high. I think it's higher than most. Brooks a ceiling is clearly higher than most, but we haven't seen that for four or five years, so you can probably almost Brooks has to be down the bottom of that list.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, but if.
Speaker 2: Every one of them, if every one of them plays their best, who wins? You know?
Speaker 1: So I think that's like it's interesting, It's like the most fascinated question in golf. I think Rory's probably got the most, Like he's got an explosiveness about him that but like the thing that Scotty does is he just he's relentless. I couldn't imagine playing Scotty Shuffler in a match in like a match play situation, like just dealing with the constant stress that he inflicts on you hall after hall, where it feels like you probably can never hit a shot that's better than his, you know.
Speaker 2: Well, and he just won Quail Hollow playing decidedly average for him, you know, like it was a long way below his best. He played an amazing last five holes on Saturday, and that was kind of it, you know, like that's that won him the tournament. Like I don't think any of that other list could do that, could play below the level and still win a major by four shots. I just don't Rory wins a major by four shots if he plays to his level, you know, and so does Xander and.
Speaker 3: Brooks and Rahm. But Scotty found a way.
Speaker 2: It was a Nicholas like performance, like he just made him got himself into the right position with twenty five or twenty four holes to play, and then just said, okay, I'm going to win this now, you know. And then he played awful on the front nine. Really on Sunday. Awful is relative term, but relative to how he normally.
Speaker 1: Plays, it was like categorically awful.
Speaker 2: If any of those other if the five other guys played a front nine like that, then they probably don't win the tournament.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: So you kind of have to say Cheff is going to win because it just feels like he's going to have one less than all of the others, you know, like it doesn't matter what they shoot, He's going to find a way to have one less because he's gone really low, like we saw him at Dallas. He's clearly happy to go crazy low. It feels like he just does what he needs to do to win. Just tell me where I have to shoot to win, and I'll just work out how to do that. You know, it's crazy.
Speaker 1: The ram piece I think is, you know, he got he got a taste of something he hasn't had in a while with the PGA, and I saw that. Brandle afterwards was like, this is what happens when you go to a non competitive league. And I don't know if there's truth to that, you know, where like he got into a situation he hasn't bet end. But I think this is just general golf, Like golf is, like you put yourself into these positions and you get a little uncomfortable and then your your level of play just tweaks down just to touch right because you're not in that same calm space. And Rom, like all of a sudden is the leader, and all of a sudden it kind of fell apart and he hit a pot that should have probably gone in. And if that putt goes in, you know, everything could be differently. And we're talking about John Rom winning the PGA. The other aspect of Rom I think is worth pointing out is that when John Ram made the leap to Live, Scotty had a great year. Rom had a great year, and those were like the two guys going back and forth, trading blows with wins. You know, like if you think about the lead up to that Masters, it was like these guys won everything. I I think John rom the decision to go to Live took him out completely out. It has made him fairly irrelevant outside of four weeks of the year. And the simple fact is that he's very undervalued in terms of like we're not very far removed from him being what everybody said was the best player in the world without a doubt, you know, and I do think John Rahm coming off of the PGA, I think he's maybe the most intriguing of these names, where it's like, yeah, that guy is is I think he you know, I think the thing with all these guys is that they think they're better than everyone, as you said, and I think John Rahm thinks he's the best player in the world still.
Speaker 3: Yeah, true.
Speaker 2: I mean I look, I see him in Scott style all the time. He plays a lot like he's very good at golf, like he is next next level better than everyone else here, like and there's some good players hanging around in Scot style, he is amazing and still wants it, you know, he definitely wants it, and the majores are he's outlet. I mean, maybe he is outlet to sort of that's what he wants. I mean, he wants to be the alpha in the room and you can only really do that now, like you say, four times for him coming off the PGA, where he got a bit of a taste, like it might be a bit of a sign. You very often see the next major when somebody has a good one, pop up at the next one, So he might be the second best of that list, like to challenge Scotty. But look, they're all so good. I just the way Scheffler gets it done. Like he's not going to win every major for the next that he's not going to win every tournament. I mean, as many times as he's winning, he's still losing sixty seventy percent of them, you know, like he's not winning every week. But as far as favorite, he has to be beyond favorite Scheffler because he just finds a way to get it around. I mean, but at an Oakmont Rahm he's got some weapons and his short game is miraki and you're going to need to come up with a few redicular shots around the greens. You're just going to have to because and shots that not everybody has. Ram has those shots. Scheffler might not have to because he might just hit every green. But Ram has got that and it's called it an extra gear. He's got that flare, that sort of the incredible stuff around the greens that will come in handy at Oakmon. If it starts going a bit wrong, the patients will be tested though for Ram it's a patients testing course if it's if it's anything, you know, and I don't know if historically he's been a bit up and down on that respect.
Speaker 1: I was going to ask if outside of just like outside of a flusher, you know, just a pure great ball striker, what's the other skill set at that Oakmont can really reward? Is it the guy the short game.
Speaker 3: Short game and putting.
Speaker 2: I mean, clearly puttings are important because that's one of the hardest places to partner the world. But it's very dependent on where you're putting from. And it's more of a like you were talking about angles on twelve before, Like it's angles, it's where you miss it. Like you know you're going to miss some greens and maybe you're in a spot where you can't really hit it on the green. It's having the ball striking to miss it in a spot where you can get it up and down, because there's just spots that open you just can't get it up and down. You just can't. It's like Augusta.
Speaker 3: If you're in the wrong spot.
Speaker 2: You just can't. It's the whole package, Like everything is rewarded pretty like proportionately. I think the better you ball strike it, even though you're going to miss greens, you're going to miss it in spots where you can get it up and down, and you can have some pretty simple up and downs. But if you get off track a little bit, which you will over seventy two holes, you're going to get off track. You have to have a pretty crazy short game. You have to be good out of long rough and good out of bunkers around the greens, and all of those guys really are m might be the best of that group. I would say, you.
Speaker 1: Know, I think Bryson's probably the one.
Speaker 2: He's pretty crazy around the greens two these days with a thirty eight degree wage. I don't know how he does it, but a thirty eight inch long or whatever it is, seven one long sixty, I don't know how. I don't know how he does it, but he's amazing.
Speaker 1: He's gotten so good around the greens. It's, you know, the what's fending the irons have been the thing that has let him down in the last two Majors, and he's on I mean, he's on maybe the best run in Majors of all these guys. Obviously he missed the cut at the at the the Open last year, but he's finished in the top ten of every other one, like really in the mix in every other one. Him sneaky of all these guys, has the best course history too. He was he had a chance to win on Sunday at the last US Opening. I used under part going into the final round.
Speaker 2: So all right, yeah, I mean, look, I think if you can play Augusta, you can play this place. I think it's similar test around the greens and a similar sort of philosophy of like under the hole is premium and you've got to have flight control and move the ball both ways. And if he can do it there, which he clearly can. He hasn't won there, but he's clearly plays really well there, I think he can do it at Hope Pont he can. Also he has that advantage of how long he is. He can iron off some t's that other guys maybe can't, which I think is an advantage. I think that's where length is going to come in, where you can prioritize fairway with an iron or a three wood or something. And it's going to challenge his It's the scientist in him is going to be pretty intrigued because it's an amazing test and his analysis and plan because he loves coming up with a plan. Whatever plan he comes up with. It's going to be interesting to watch because it's it's a place where I don't know what sort of plan you would come up with, but he's gonna come up with one, and it would it'll it'll engage his interest level on that front, I think because it's such a unique test.
Speaker 1: He seemed enamorated with it in in his YouTube video he just put up, so you know, if you want to glean from from his YouTube content, he seems he seemed very into it, by the way, putting a nod on a more kwa good good record as you imagine, because he's very good at golf T four, T five and then T fourteen the last two years. So last four open opens no worse than fourteenth, which pretty uh pretty stout. There are a lot of you know, obviously we've seen this week at Canada we have three college kids that are are have their full PGA Tour cards making their first start. This is the first major of two of four that is actually open to you know, potentially some of the better players in the game that aren't professionals being in it. We've seen a lot of youth success, uh in the in the in the game of golf. Do you think we could get like because of the just general trends in in pro golf, a an amateur late or is Oakmont just not the place for it? An amateur winning late just contending?
Speaker 2: Eh, maybe. I mean they'd have to be really good.
Speaker 1: Like there's some good good like they got Jackson in.
Speaker 3: A like just the very pony end of good.
Speaker 1: So you got like Jackson Coven who has his card as a sophomore, has his card, is going back to school for a junior year, has AARA earned it. You've got Ben James, the Virginia kid that's that's competed, contended. I think in in a in a PGA Tour event or two. You've got some some very good amateur names. But we haven't had like anybody, you know, like I think a perfect example is Scotti shot I think sixty eight as a as an amateur in twenty sixteen and then kind of bombed out at Oakmand over the period of time.
Speaker 2: I think, look, physically, they clearly would have the skill. I mean, there's no shot that oak One's going to ask that those kids can't hit. I just think there's an experience, if any course that we ever play in a major maybe outside of Augusta. But even so, even including that, that experience is like a fifteenth club. It's Oakmond, I would say. I mean, it's look at like you said, you the list of winners and Nicholas and Hogan and Jones and Miller and Ernie El's. I mean, these are pretty well seasoned, traveled around the world experience. Guys, You're just going to come across things at Oakmont that you haven't seen before. If you've only played college golf and a smattering of two events, you know, you just don't. I mean, you played there a few weeks ago. You just don't see stuff like that anywhere else. And I think the more golf you've got under your belt, the more chance you've got at Oakmont. I mean, I'm not saying they can't do it because they can hit all the shots. I mean they're so good these kids. There's no shot that they're going to be asked that they can't hit. But the experienced level of understanding that, right, as soon as you've hit your t shot in the RAF, right, I've made bogey. Now let's just make bogie, you know, not try to take on the shot. I know, I can hit, but take on, let's play this whole sensibly and like Bogey doesn't cust me with you as open here and all those little decisions that scottis Cheffler will be making and Xander will be making and Rory will be making. That's hard to do when you're twenty one twenty two years old. It's just hard to do because you think you can do everything, which is why they're so good. And I remember being like that. But I think Oakmont will reward experience, so it would be hard to see. But they're better now than we ever were at that age or anyone any era. We haven't seen the number of young kids be this good before, so maybe, but what's a tough place for it to happen?
Speaker 1: I think like it's one of the biggest things. Probably advantage of experience is the ability to get over stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah for sure. Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: When you feel like you hit two good shots and you make a bogie or you three put you go to the next tee and like seemingly always it is like a bad t shot next. And that's where Oakmont just gets you more than anywhere else, is like you feel like you can't hit consecutive shots poorly, and what happens is often you have that like four whole stretch of bad golf, and at a course that doesn't punish bad that much, you might get through it even par or one over and be fine. But you can't afford to let things dwell there because that will lead you doubles and triples.
Speaker 2: You can't compound your errors here because it's just going to get worse. I mean the morning I when either the morning I woke up or I was going out to the golf course for Wingfoot for my last round. Judy Rankin, who's a family friend, put a little note in my locker or sent me a text or so. I can't remember how it was, but she said, everyone always opens the paper on Monday morning after the US Open is surprised at how high the winning score was, So just hang in there. You never know. And it turned out to be very prophetic because I thought I was gone with four holes to play, and I just part of the last four holes in one.
Speaker 3: That's a hard headspace.
Speaker 2: If you've never if you haven't played a bunch of US Opens to get like, if you're yeah, like you say, you have a bad couple of holes, and you're three over after five on Thursday. You kind of any other week that's a disaster. But I mean the guy who wins the tournament might very well be three over after five on Thursday, you know, and having that sort of experience level to realize that this is not that bad, you know, like I don't have to get these three shots back. Now, I've got sixty holes to get these sixty seventy holes to get these shots back.
Speaker 3: I can do this like.
Speaker 2: That. I don't think can be taught. That has to be learned, you know. I Mean we've seen some amazingly mature young kids along the way, but even Jordan had that the US Open that they're sorry the masters that first one was in contention and didn't win, and any won the next one. Like there's just experience to be had and lessons to be learned, and I think the US Open lessons can only be learned in US Opens.
Speaker 1: Rory Is I think he was talking recently about how he's like mentality shift to being a great US Open player, and he was talking about how it's so hard to get to the state, but like where he's gotten to is I'm playing seventy two holes and I'm playing every hole and I'm not worried about where i am, but I'm just playing. I'm playing the same through seventy two holes, like the idea of like I'm just going to keep trying and not like allow what's happening to disrupt, like my next shot in the seventy two hole sequence of me playing seventy two holes, like not thinking about like hole by hole like it's it's it's what makes golf such a challenging game. It's like that mental gymnastics of it.
Speaker 2: And you can't in the US Open, you cannot use your score as a barometer to how you're playing.
Speaker 3: You just can't.
Speaker 2: Like every other tournament, you get a pretty good feel after halfway through Thursday morning, all right, this is going to be four hundred day is gonna be good, sixty.
Speaker 3: Nine is gonna win the toll. You never know in years, you have no idea how you're playing.
Speaker 2: You can be playing well and be whyever power you can be playing it. It's it's it's an unusable sort of metric how you're scoring. You just have to that seventy two whole mindset that Rory says is exactly is the only way. You just hit every single shot on its merits. Every shot is so hard and there's a train wreck after every shot of you hit it poorly. It's just every shot of its merits, and make decisions based on I want to be at the lowest I can be on Sunday night. It's not about shooting a good score today. It's not about having a good score on this hole. It's about how do I get to Sunday night in a decent spot? And every decision has to be framed like that. And we never play like that. We play like just I want to have a good score on this hole. You know, it's a different way to think.
Speaker 1: Do you think golf would be easier if there were no scoreboards for players? Do you think the scores would go down?
Speaker 2: I don't know, Like we kind of hinted on that before, I don't know. I think they'd go up or down. Do you think they would shoot thirty seven under par or whatever they do at Capellura if they didn't know everyone else was doing it? Or do you think they go lower because they know everyone else is doing it? I don't know. It's an interesting that's an interesting question.
Speaker 1: I think for different people, it would be different. Yeah, results do you have any We've just talked about big names. Are there any other names that you particularly are might be keen on that type of player rising up?
Speaker 2: I mentioned JT. I think JT is playing well this year. I think he loves this occasion. I think he'd be very interesting, you know. I think what the Rasmus. I like Rasmus Hoyguard's game. I think he's long and he seems to have something special about Hi. Nikolai too obviously, but Rasmus is on a better run this year and he sort of got himself sort of in the on the fringes of the mix at kail Alo for a little bit there.
Speaker 1: Rasmus, how do you feel about Corey Conners?
Speaker 2: Look, I think Corey Connors will have a good week. I mean, he has a lot of good weeks. If he has a weakness, and I'm sure he'd be happy to admit this too, would be his putting.
Speaker 3: And I think Oakmont, You're.
Speaker 2: Gonna have to be really brave to hold a lot of pots at Oakmont because they why outside the whole pots and how we saw him on the weekend of the Masters, He's going to have to improve on that performance on the grains at least. But he's he's certainly got the ball striking chops.
Speaker 1: That's what I just think he could just be around because like when you think about I, he's it's kind of like the way Scotty drives the ball is where it's not flashy, but the accuracy is at such a high level with enough distance, and Scotty's pretty plus distance, you know, He's. Scotty's like a souped up Corey Connor's with with with a better short game and better better putting. Yeah, you know, but like Corey Connor's like kind of machine like te degree you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean he's going to bull struck it.
Speaker 2: I mean he hits it so well and that's sort of one hundred and fifty to two hundred and twenty yard sort of id on through four and I mean he's as good as anyone, you know, Corey, and he does it every week, you know, so you'd think.
Speaker 3: He's going to be in the mix. I don't know. I mean, I loved his I'd love.
Speaker 2: To see Corey.
Speaker 3: He's a he's a great guy and.
Speaker 2: Presence of our team. Yeah, like.
Speaker 1: You should just pick all Presidents, International Presidence.
Speaker 2: International Presidence Cup players. Look, I mean Sung Jay at some point surely is going to get there in the mix at the end of one of these things. He's talk about machines, I mean he is. He's been a little bit off for his standard, but he's so good, Sung Jim. It's incredible. He has every shot, there's nothing he's missing.
Speaker 1: I've floated this crazy theory. I'm curious your your thoughts on this. Uh. One of my colleagues ask me why I think that Patrick Cantley hasn't played well at major championships and I this was just off the top. I just got me thinking. I was curious. He's so efficient with his golf swing where he doesn't have a high end swing speed, but he produces like very great distance results. Do you think it's a thing where when when the rough just gets a little bit ticked up, that the speed, this lack of speed hurts him hitting shots out of the rough And that's just the marginal difference.
Speaker 2: You don't have rough in every major, maybe specifically to US Open. You would think he's like he's been built in a lab to play US Open. You would Patrick Kenley, you would the US Open player. Yeah, I don't know. I don't know. Maybe he tries too hard, Like it's a very big it's a very regular thing that we we I say we now, but like golfers can try too hard in these things, you know, or you know, all of a sudden, the swing coaches out and like you're trying different things, and you're practicing differently, and you're preparing differently, and you're playing more, you know, your whole families in town, and I don't I don't know. He's an enigma. Like I couldn't come up with a reason. I don't think there's a lack of speed thing. I mean, Salatoris doesn't have the speed that probably doesn't have the rough ability that the big guys do, and he was producing it in the majors, like you said, not injured, you would think he's one of the favorites. Yeah, I don't know. I don't think. So he's got enough speed, is it fair enough?
Speaker 1: One of the one of the other things I love about the group that we just talked about, the big names, is there you don't see like swing coaches lingering around a ton, you know, like they're pretty self reliant players.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, that would be my h I think that's a better way to approach it. I mean, at the end of the day, you have to hit the shots, and golf fundamentally isn't a game that you can teach someone. It's a game that the player has to learn themselves, right. Coaches are just great at like helping players learn. I never loved having a coach there at a at a major, like great, maybe a month before if you want to have a few things, but like you can come to the Major and stand on the range, but don't tell me anything, which is clearly what Randy does, you know, And.
Speaker 1: They only work it seems like they only work on like three things. Just set up, set.
Speaker 2: Up, swing play, Yeah, whatever it is, alignment or whatever. It's just aim further right or whatever it was. I think that's especially in the big tournaments.
Speaker 3: You've got to.
Speaker 2: You've got a sort of dance with the girl that you brought with you. You can't find it on the range on Wednesday afternoon at the US Open, you know. I mean maybe like maybe it's like happened, but really your game is at the level that it's at, or it's in the state that it's in, and it's always it's an up and down situation. Just work out how to get the best score out of what you bring to the tournament. And I don't think that's a coach thing. I think sometimes that's just a you thing, you know. So I like how that the gurus are less prevalent. It's quite a probably a lesson for the guys who are down further downalys struggling to break into this group. If they've always got their coach there at a major, like well, doing a lot of stuff. Maybe the best players aren't doing that. Maybe you should look at it.
Speaker 1: It feels like it's almost like the final thing to unlock is like you work with someone to get to that top level, and then at the top level it becomes about your ability because that's when things are going sideways on the golf course. The only way you're getting out of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, look, you can't probably do it without help along the way. You know, you need wisdom and teaching. It's just the week of a major is it should be done. That's not the week for it, you know. And ultimately it's about adjusting along the way golf, you know, it's just every shot is different forever. Like I mean, like you make a swing off the first it feels a little bit funny. You can't just like go over to the ropes and say, hey, what did I do there? What should I do on the next one. You've got to kind of work out how to get the next one going where you want it to go on the next one go. It's a never ending work in progress. And I think when you're doing that yourself, you learn your swing better, You'll know your little fixes. You know you how to do it. I mean Jack used to talk about, hey, what do he went and getting to sew Jack grout like in January, like once or twice a year, and that was it, Like I'll see you in twelve months. You know that is probably the model.
Speaker 1: You know, Yeah, I mean he's see somebody long enough. You're just working on the same things too, over and over again.
Speaker 3: You have to know your own game.
Speaker 2: You have to know how to fix your game on the fly because any given day you're going to wake up and it's going to feel different. You've got to know how to fix.
Speaker 3: It for you, you know, which is probably hard for someone else to do.
Speaker 1: All right, who's are you taking? Scartia I assume.
Speaker 2: I mean, I know that's the boring answer, but I have to. I think, like, how do you not take him? I mean, I think he's a hyper competitive He's not a list like.
Speaker 3: I don't think he's a lifetime list guy, like goal list.
Speaker 2: Like a Tiger. But he's such a hyper competitive guy. He just wants to win so bad. And I think Rory winning the Career Grand Slam probably added a little bit of fuel to that. You know, like, I know I'm actually the guy, So I think he's on a I think he's on a run of motivation and competitiveness at the moment, and it's gonna be hard to go past him.
Speaker 1: Where would you put if you were gonna put career majors? What do you think is like if you just threw a number out for suffer?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's he got? Three?
Speaker 1: He's got three?
Speaker 2: Seven? Like something always happens, right Like at the moment he would think he's going to win seventeen, but like there's always something that happens. You know, we didn't have like they're hard to win, you know, and look at Rory. When Rory a decade ago, it was like this guy's gonna win twelve. You know, seven, I think he's. I think he's and seven is would be like in the elite of the elite of the elite. You know, that's an unbelievable amount of majors and this day and age, the.
Speaker 1: That Sunday turnaround, because I think like that career just like he's now like still like scar tissue free. If that Sunday he hadn't won, I think, like, you know, there's like real damage that can do mentally. But the fact that he played so bad and then just one by like skating down the last three holes like stress free, I think that almost helped him. It's like the complete It's crazy, like how that tournament goes opposite ways. It could have like a a completely different such a different impact on where his career trajectory goes. That's the thing that to me, you know it it's like one of those like sometimes like you it's like a couple of good breaks and and nobody and then John Rahm just like that lipout being lipout and not making birdie on the next two holes. It's like that's the difference in him having like a heartbreak loss and then all of a sudden it's now like, oh, like could he do? He got away with like very poor plane won a major by a lot of shots.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't know where do you have him? I mean, look, it's just hot.
Speaker 1: I mean I think the appropriate over under his six and a half. I saw that there was a line that was like nine point five. I think it was no laying up called fan duel, and they said it would be nine point five, which I think is like crazy because, like you said, stuff happens.
Speaker 2: I think that happens, and other golfers come along, like yes, look at Jordan. I mean he was winning him for fun. You know, Rory was winning him for fun at the start, Like life happens. You know, he's had a kid. Now he might have.
Speaker 3: More like school drop offs.
Speaker 2: Maybe doesn't it ball, I don't know, like just life just comes along, you know, and then you Luke Clinton's and all these sort of kids come along and they might even be better again, you know, like the level keeps going up. I mean, who would have thought Greg Norman. I mean, we're going way out of the thing. But Greg nominal only won too. I mean, if Bob Twy had to hold that bunker shot, Larry Miies having to hold that chip shot nor than one of one ten. You know, things happen.
Speaker 1: You know, that's it's it's very very rare for a player to sustain like elite elite player play for more than ten years and he still.
Speaker 2: Has to do it against Bryce and Rory, Xander Marikaua, like he still has to beat these guys, and these guys that group's only going to get better, you know, not specifically those names, but the five, six, seven, eight, the top ten in the world, the level they're going to play is just going to get better and better and better. So it's going to be harder and harder to keep winning them.
Speaker 1: I'm fascinated to see if we could get you know, Xander had two majors last year, which I mean like winning multiple majors in the years is the crazy stuff. And I feel like that's a separator of like all time greats is like they usually get to a couple of years of two majors, you know, like three Big Tiger had four or five years of two majors. You know, Rory obviously had one, Speith had one, Like will Scheffler get a is this the year he gets two majors in a year, and because when you start doing the multiples of years, that's how you go up really quick. Yeah, it's hard to pick one off per year because then you have years where you know, you got a bad bounce here, or you know, somebody gets hot and finishes with three birdies there, and you know, so I'm taking I think I'm gonna take Bryson.
Speaker 3: Defending her.
Speaker 1: I just I didn't even think about that. It probably makes it harder. But uh, he's been rattling around so much people will say, oh, he's not getting it done. Does he have a closing I saw somebody ask if he has a closing tournament problem? Well, like people, you you make up that storyline because somebody's available and has an opportunity to win a lot, and I do. I think this golf course fits him really well in terms of like if he's if he hits in the rough, I think, you know, I would put him and Rory is probably the two best rough players in the world, just because of how far up they're playing from and their sheer speed, and uh, yeah, I think it. The guy's built to play really well everywhere, I feel like except for the Open right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it'll be a challenge. Yeah, I mean I think, yeah, that's a pretty good goal. Rom's got to get an honorable.
Speaker 1: Mention though, I think, yeah, I think I'm saving Rom for the Open. I'm doing my I'm I one and done. I got to stick with my You know, I can only pick somebody one time, so you know, I'm interested to see what Rory does the most. I think he's the most intriguing player because obviously Quail Hollow was such a disappointing finish and it's like, you know, can he get back up there because him and Scottie or you know, they're both having like sensational years and it's you know, there's half the Major year left to determine who was the best player this year.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean you got that, you got the hangover out of the way, if you like. The next Major was always going to be on the one or the other for Rory one after Augusta. So maybe you got it out of the way. Maybe he's free now, you know, expectations are go on, everyone's talking about someone else.
Speaker 1: You know, thank you for coming on and chatting about this. Thank you for being a part of that US Open video. You were great in that. Uh and Uh, congrats. We we haven't talked about well, have to talk President's Cup another time. Congrats on your appointment than you. You know, I'm very invested in the Chicago President's Cup as a Chicagoan and uh, I'm excited to uh for that tournament and glad that you're going to be running the show. And of course you, uh, you helped renovating and I think brought back a lot of the uh. You know, it's a it's a championship course that Chicago is going to be very proud of. So I'm excited about that tournament.
Speaker 2: Well, you just have to rally all your international fans and get more to go out of the tournament.
Speaker 1: I got I should I should have wore my my internet, I got the international gear.
Speaker 4: I am.
Speaker 1: I'm a I'm an international team guy.
Speaker 3: You'll be in trouble in your town. But like we lock it.
Speaker 1: Well. You know, the last time I was at Medina for a team competition, I was I was watching the Ryder Cup, which you know, at the time I was I was an American fan through and through, and you know, since I've kind of I've departed my American roots in in the golf space. So I'm more of an international and European team.
Speaker 3: If you need any more gear, just ask.
Speaker 1: Some more geary. You know, I like busting it out every once in a while. I think I wore I wore one of my hoodies with with the Davis Love. He was disappointed to see that if this was a president it was just a stock President's cup now that I'm thinking of that, but uh, but yeah, we'll be Uh, we'll be in touch. And thanks so much for for covenant.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, thank you for.
Speaker 1: Listening to another edition of the Frida Egg Podcast. Big thanks to p J Clark for editing and producing. If you haven't yet, check out our our pro shop. We cooked up some really neat merch We've got a lot of kind of limited edition Oakmont themed merchandise, really creative T shirts and hats. I would go check that out at proshop dot Thefridagg dot com. As a reminder, if you're a Fridagg Golf Club member, you do get a discount, just check your email you'll have a discount code in there. Thanks to everybody for listening. We'll look forward to breaking down the US Open with Trevor Immelman on Monday or Tuesday after they'll be out midweek next week, so hopefully we got a great tournament. Can't wait. Thanks for listening to the pod.