Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Kristin Davis, and I want to know, are you a Charlotte the first face you see in the pilot of Sex and the City Sarah Winters. Here you guys, it's so exciting.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited to be here. It's it's it's I'm thrilled.
Speaker 1: I'm so so happy you were my first guest.
Speaker 3: Well, it's very fitting. Yes, I was the first.
Speaker 1: I know, and you're so adorable. I watched it last night. Oh my god, you in the back of that cab with your Louis.
Speaker 3: And the hat and the gloves in a cab.
Speaker 1: Okay, it was a very interesting group of things. You look incredible and I really was so like pulled into your storyline. And then I'm like, what happened to her? Where did she go? And what happened? We should have had you like continue line and make sure you were okay. Yes, it's not too late the check she'd run into you on the street.
Speaker 3: But she's doing so well.
Speaker 2: Now tell you well, maybe she runs a company, maybe she has a CEO. But yeah, it ended in such a it was. This was the best meet cute I think any show I've ever seen. I'm not saying that just because I was the cutie. No you didn't, and I was pretty darnk cute you really years.
Speaker 1: Ago and you still are, come on, you still are.
Speaker 3: But I thank you.
Speaker 1: I left.
Speaker 2: You know, she's a journalist and she's got ye Louis m I was so impressed, and we shot I think it was the Brooklyn Bridge and I remember Susan Seidelman was in the taxi crouched on the floor while we're actually.
Speaker 3: Moving, remember that.
Speaker 2: And uh, it was my first job. It was like my first I think it got me into the union. Yeah, I had no idea, No, how did you get the job? So I auditioned and it's so funny. Remember this was like, you know, the mid to late nineties, right ninety seven, it was. I was very excited to audition for a show, but it was people. And the dreams was to get on a network show, right like HBO.
Speaker 3: Was not when it became not by a long show.
Speaker 2: Now Sarah Jessica Park had already mean Car, so I thought, well, it can't be that bad, right, and maybe I'll get a network show after this. Now I would kill to be on an HBO show.
Speaker 3: But yes, yes, but that yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Auditioned, and I was very excited to meet Susan Sidelman because she had directed desperately and Susan so she had done him a Donna movie and it was all very razzle dazzle, and I remember in the audition she said, now, how do you feel there might be a nude scene? And I was like, oh, like yeah, yeah, whatever.
Speaker 3: She said, there's going to be like a bathtub.
Speaker 2: You'll be covered, but you know, there might be a little bathtub. I think we ran out of time. They had were going to do a scene in a bathtub.
Speaker 3: We ended up like just you know, having this like very it was very tasteful. It was like in Cellowet. It was really just my top half.
Speaker 2: And again thirty years ago, I look pretty good, incredible, incredible, but I remember it's so weird. I don't remember a lot in my life. I don't remember what my last job was, but I remember so much about this pilot. Tell me the read through, the table read okay.
Speaker 1: Yes, tell me, tell me, so we do it because I don't remember the.
Speaker 3: Read I remember the read through.
Speaker 2: I remember seeing you and I didn't even know really who had been cast, Like no one's keeping me up to date, Like, so I knew Sarah Jessica Parker was going to be and I knew Darren Starr.
Speaker 3: Because of Melury Hill. And when I saw you, I was like, oh my god, that's Brook from Laura's place.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, she's so gorgeous.
Speaker 3: Be cool, be cool, be cool, be cool, be cool, be cool.
Speaker 1: Be cool. That is definitely how I was sitting, like like, be cool, try to be cool, and I was very unstick.
Speaker 2: You stood up when he walked in the room, and you, you and Darren hugged, and I thought, oh, yes, of course they know each other because of because she was Brook and Sarah Jessica was And I remember we started reading and Sarah was cross out anything that said Carrie walks in with a sexy, gorgeous hot and it wasn't It was not a disrespectful to the writer kind of thing that she kept crossing it out like people were laughing, but she was just like And I remember the person that they had cast to play the boyfriend was not the person that wound up getting the job on set.
Speaker 3: I was surprised when I got on set.
Speaker 2: They had cast Christopher Lawford, who was John Kennedy Junior's cousin. Yes, he was at the read through, and I remember thinking, yes, I remember thinking that's perfect to have like this Kennedy, Yes, Kennedy.
Speaker 3: Yes, I understood Kennedy. What the heck? Yes? And he had been an actor.
Speaker 1: What happened?
Speaker 3: What happened?
Speaker 2: I want to know, did he become unavailable?
Speaker 1: Maybe he did?
Speaker 3: Did something happen maybe yes? Because none of us knew.
Speaker 2: He didn't know what this show was, I mean, and I remember Kim at the end of the read through went teen more and I was like, what is.
Speaker 1: That even mean? Like what is thirteen?
Speaker 2: And I realized contract TV and TV yeah, and that's a contract, you know, and that's and I was.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, thirteen more.
Speaker 2: And even though I knew my character ended and I wasn't gonna you know, but uh yeah, And I wound up kind of being the first person to have sex on sex.
Speaker 3: In the city, I know.
Speaker 1: And this this is what I remember of that, right. So when we so we we did this show. Obviously, we were all very excited and I really really desperately wanted my part, but we were nervous because do you remember the show dream On that had been on HBO and like every week some girl would just for some reason take her dive off, like just randomly kind of like we were like, is this what we're supposed to do? Like please know? Like even though we were scared, right, we didn't really know. As I was telling everyone before too, we didn't know how people would respond to kind of the very upfront way that we were talking about sexuality because at that point it hadn't really been done on TA right, yeah, and cable was a weird thing, Like it was all very unknown, and so I remember being really nervous, and we didn't have clauses in our contract at that point that we had to be new or that we did whatever we because we were all panicked, like we don't work, scared, right. And the day that you had to do that news scene, I was in the hair and makeup trailer getting ready for whatever, like talking on the phone or something boring, and they came in. One of the makeup artists came running.
Speaker 4: Like, we need cups of ice for Sarah Winter. Go, oh my god, right, I for my nipples? Like I who knew that that.
Speaker 3: Was the thing.
Speaker 1: I did not know either.
Speaker 3: I was trying to be so cool you did, and collected. You did, but they needed ice.
Speaker 1: I know, we were really impressed.
Speaker 3: We were panicked. But also maybe that's why they look so good. They look fantastic ice. I know it worked, it worked of ice, it worked us.
Speaker 1: But all of this said, and then they ran back ot with like, what is going on?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, it's like a thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like.
Speaker 2: No one's ever offered me I since and no one offers me I. You know, I don't do those kinds of scenes anymore. But yeah, you did it well. Well you really see like you were fine.
Speaker 3: You know I was.
Speaker 2: I think Susan, you know, having a female director obviously was really helpful. And I didn't realize at that point, this being my first like TV experience, that that's quite rare. That was rare, certainly definitely, you know, in nineteen ninety seven, I think it was, and uh, yeah it was.
Speaker 3: It was wild.
Speaker 2: I remember you came into the makeup trailer once and we had no scenes together, and they cut your hair like you had like it was like a lob and you and you came into the makeup rool and you're like, well it's sporty.
Speaker 1: Kind of sporty.
Speaker 2: I hated so good, but I could tell you it was like not they made me do it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it was so like did she need to have like a bob?
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: It all worked out, I mean, but the pilot was so very different to the how it all looked. I mean it was dark, so dark, you all talked to the camera all it was nothing about fashion.
Speaker 3: In fact, I had all the fashion.
Speaker 1: I didn't have Pat yet I had.
Speaker 3: You didn't have Pat, right, but you had I had some I had.
Speaker 2: Remember they put me in my first pair of Manolo blonde. And another funny thing I remember is there's a brief scene with a real estate agent.
Speaker 1: In the yeah, walking to Do you know who she was? Yes?
Speaker 3: I do. She was married to Rudy Giuliani at the time. I know.
Speaker 1: It was weird, right, it was.
Speaker 3: We had security onset.
Speaker 1: We later did a play and she was like, do you remember when I came on the pilot? Yeah, yeah, that was herzar.
Speaker 3: It was bizarre, right, Yeah it was. And I knew she was.
Speaker 2: I lived in New York and she was actually co host of a like good Morning New York one of those yeah and wow, and.
Speaker 1: Yeah that was like trippy, trippy, very trippy.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so let me ask you, how, so you have good, good memories of the pilot. Do you have memories of because we waited a long time for the show to be picked up, do you remember that.
Speaker 2: I remembered like, oh, maybe it's not gonna happen. You know, I had at that point done.
Speaker 3: Like a movie. I had moved to Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: And then I heard it, Actually, it's they've made it's it's becoming a series. You haven't been cut, Yeah, I haven't been cut. Yes, it would have been a lot cutting a lot of scenes and even though it was short, like we shop for a week, you know.
Speaker 1: There were a lot of little pieces. Yeah, and that was the thing. The really we we filmed crazy hours. I don't know if you remember this, Ye the pilot, Ye hours. And everyone would be like why. It's because all those little scenes had to be connected by the voiceover later, not so much in the pilot, but to make it to tell a story. We were trying to tell a story through tiny little scenes. That's hard to shoot right because you have to go to the different locations and set up. But that's what's so great about your part of the thing, but also frustrating because we don't continue with you.
Speaker 2: It's so sad, I know, and I think, you know, when I was reminded like.
Speaker 3: Hey, you're the first person to have sex and sixty c. I'm like, yes, I was.
Speaker 2: I was also the first person to be ghosted before ghosting was.
Speaker 1: I know, we didn't have the name, right, we didn't have a name.
Speaker 2: But we've all you know, we know what it is. And it was so kind of sad. And over the years, you know, through I mean, the show went for such a long time. It's such an incredible part of you know, culture, then the movies and now you know what you're doing now and just like that it you know, I've wondered, like you know, and there's been such triumph. But the women, you know, it's such like we're not beaten down by these women that it doesn't end our lives.
Speaker 3: You know, you move on.
Speaker 2: I'm like, but I feel like my character had all her you know triumphs off camera.
Speaker 3: Yes, she found love, she found a great guy. Thank god, thank.
Speaker 1: God, thank God helps me not one of the guys in the pilot, because they're all.
Speaker 2: They're all horrible people, and they're out there with how horrible they are.
Speaker 3: Then pretending totally, which I guess is something like people to be said for.
Speaker 1: That's something to be said.
Speaker 2: For just putting out how what a rotten human being you are instead of pretending like you're you know, because that I come into.
Speaker 1: That, Well, that's what's annoying about your guy is that he's all like kind of glamorous prince churning and then he's just like gone, so frustrating, And it's funny that we didn't have the term ghosting. And then I mean, in my little notes, they they want me to say if I've ever been ghosted or have I ever ghosted anyone? Which I think is a hysterical question. And my manager was like Christen's date was like Christin never been ghosted? No, I did have to think back a long time ago I was ghosted, though it was I don't know. I don't know exactly. I mean, it's hard to define ghosting exactly. I do think it was when there were cell phones, because obviously now ghosting is more a text thing, right, and back then it was cell phones were neat. But I did one time date this at work actor. I think this was before Sex and the City, maybe between Melrose and Sex and City or maybe when I was on Melrose. I don't know. He's now very successful. He was very talented, but at the time I had money because I'd been working, and I was at his house and he had all of these like you're like, Tristy's going to be turned off, like all those notices that you get when, like, you know, you can't pay your bills. They were all just all over his house, right, And I was like, uh, you know what's happening. And then I think he wrecked his motorcycle, which is like how he got around town to his auditions. And I was like, you know, can I lend you some money?
Speaker 3: Horrible kiss of death?
Speaker 1: Right, yes, so, and anyone listening, do not lend any money that you are dating, Okay, do not do it. No, you never get the money back right there. And it really irked me. So then I lent him money. You know. It changed the dynamic in a horrible way. And it was a kind of a casual thing, right, So I probably should have known better, you know what I'm saying, But I just thought, like I can help I should help this guy. He's so talented, which he is, lend him money. I think it was all of five thousand dollars a lot of money. Well, thank you, thank you very nice. Yes, So I lent him this money and then you know, he stopped stopped calling, and I'm like, what the heck. So I remember going over to his apartment, like banging on the door, and his dog was in there, and I loved his dog and I could hear his dog, but I was like, is he in there? And pretending that he is not in there Jordan's saying, and I was like And then later on he did call me. He's like, did you come to my house and bang on my door? And I was like, well, yes, yeah, yeah. He was like I know right. I felt so embarrassed, like being messy, Like I was like messy. But then I was like, well you remember how the money, No I haven't.
Speaker 3: You had every right to know. I want to see that. That's like a movie, that's a show.
Speaker 1: So this is a successful actor.
Speaker 3: Well I think what let's add up? Like what with interest? With interest?
Speaker 1: I ever, I just would love some acknowledgment arrivor, which is like kind of a fantasy or whatnot. But you know, it is funny, but that was the best story.
Speaker 3: Store again, would let's.
Speaker 1: Store a country, and he's married with some children, so I don't think I want to show up.
Speaker 3: He probably doesn't the dog anymore.
Speaker 1: No, I think he has numerous animals.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, you know, you live and learn, but you do you do.
Speaker 1: I can't say that's the last time that I did well. I think the next time was the last time. What about you ghosting?
Speaker 3: Well, I let's see, I don't think. I don't think I could ever go someone.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I can't picture you, and I didn't really date as a young person. I was always in relationships.
Speaker 2: I've been married and I have kids now and I'm divorced, so I'm dating like now, which is very weird.
Speaker 3: I like to think it's a bit more grown up.
Speaker 2: If I meet someone or we go on a date or two and I don't feel something, I just say, like, it's lovely to meet you.
Speaker 3: You're a great guy.
Speaker 2: I don't feel a connection, but I wish you all the best, you know, and that's sort of my thing.
Speaker 3: That's good.
Speaker 2: I don't think I've been ghosted in the traditional sense. I would never go thank you, and I can take it, you know. I mean, if someone says you know, I think you're great, but I you know, you have young kids or you have you know, you live on the other side of the country. I'm like, thank you for telling me.
Speaker 3: That's good luck.
Speaker 1: You know what I want to be as grown ups?
Speaker 3: Right? Evil?
Speaker 1: No, I agree, I agree, but it is I think it is such a good and interesting thing to talk about because I do think that young people are often going through this, you know, men and women, right, And I think it's such a hard thing because you're just left there wondering.
Speaker 3: Like with the three dots, right, like are they awful?
Speaker 1: Awful?
Speaker 3: Are they going to awful? Just say it right, like how bad can it be?
Speaker 1: Totally? But now we do have social media so you can go try to, you know, investigate what's happening, right, but which.
Speaker 2: Is then it's a way of yours And I had to take I took Instagram off my phone a couple of years ago, and it was one of the best things I ever did.
Speaker 3: Have it on my iPad, But I keep my iPad in my bedroom.
Speaker 1: Smart limit that realize how much.
Speaker 2: Time I was spending looking at things that made me feel like like why.
Speaker 3: Am I doing this?
Speaker 1: My Instagram feed is all dogs?
Speaker 3: Well that's the way to go. Yeah, I know you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, and the puppies. I want to see the puppies get adopted. It's really nice, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: And also I'm using it for good right right, because there.
Speaker 1: Are there are such positive things, you know, on there, but there's also such toxic things and you know, you got to protect the kids from.
Speaker 2: That and the grown ass women who are good good point the point from feeling yeah, like crap, but no, that's not worth it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, nothing's worth it.
Speaker 1: You're writing now, I'm writing.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm developing a limited series with my writing partner, and who knows where it will land. You know, I would like if anyone's out there listening and they want to read an incredible chow for women that's basically a delicious revenge tale of beautiful people doing bad things.
Speaker 3: Wow, hit me up. Yeah. So I'm excited about that.
Speaker 2: And I wrote an article that got published Infanity Fair, which I was really proud of, Yeah, because I've never written anything before and yeah, that was I was really.
Speaker 3: Proud of that.
Speaker 1: So it's amazing.
Speaker 3: And it produced a movie sort of based on.
Speaker 2: That topic with Amanda Seifried, and yeah, I just but I miss acting.
Speaker 3: I do. I do miss acting, Yeah, I want to.
Speaker 2: I miss telling stories from that perspective, you know, writing writing my own stories is fun, but and I'd like to continue to do that. But I do want to get back in front of the camera and and you know, not not in a leading role, not in a you know, I'm not in that part of my career anymore, but just you know, pop in here and.
Speaker 3: There, you know, Yeah, I would love I'd love to do more of that.
Speaker 1: It's so interesting because like, for the longest time, I didn't really miss acting. I didn't go that long without acting, but like sometimes I was like, you know, when I was young, I needed I needed to be acting in some form, right, like on camera, in theater, whatever it was. And I don't know if it was having kids, and that kind of takes on a whole creative side of you in a different way, yes, like an emotional side, but like I didn't need it as much. But then the funny thing is when we did go back to do and just like that, because we're with Michael p and you know everybody, you know, we've been together so long, I had all this pent up emotion.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't really realize.
Speaker 1: Wow, it was interesting. Interesting.
Speaker 3: Then you had an outlet I did.
Speaker 1: I was like, well, this right, why we love it?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: It is that great?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because we you know, when you step away, you know, you become a parent, you are fulfilled in other ways and you and you don't.
Speaker 3: Crave that creative like.
Speaker 2: Also, it's like a family being on set, and if you have a family at home, you know, it's different, it's a different you know, things shift. But yeah, stepping back into it having stepped away is so sweet.
Speaker 1: It is it is. It's fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And also you've had Charlotte in your life for so long now and to be able to watch you, I can't even imagine like playing the.
Speaker 3: Role, and you play her so beautifully with such a heart. You uh, you're.
Speaker 2: You've given us hope, like Charlotte has always had hope.
Speaker 3: The eternal optimist, so true. And I feel like.
Speaker 2: She got knocked down, she got back up, and she believed she would meet her husband, she believed she would have her children.
Speaker 3: It didn't look the way she thought.
Speaker 2: You know, I think you know, for people, for myself that watch it, it's really that sense of hope that was so beautiful and poignant to watch and to see you have loss and pain and get back up and was really, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Think, ask you, yeah, are you a Charlotte?
Speaker 3: Am I a Charlotte?
Speaker 2: I'm going to say yes, But it has changed for me. I think back in the day, you know, when we first met Charlotte, I felt like I was a Charlotte because I kind of modeled myself along being a bit of a rule follower, having a protocol with dating and men and being a lady and that was always very important to me, and being buttoned up, having boundaries.
Speaker 3: And I think now.
Speaker 2: I'm as Charlotte in the way that you know, we've got to know Charlotte in what I just sort of referenced her eternal optimism and not losing hope. And also something really important that you portrayed and your storyline, at least for me, was that happiness doesn't have to be what you think it's going to look like. You know, we imagine it's going to be a certain guy, you know, or you're gonna have kids a certain way in that and you check off all those and what was amazing, And I've had this in my own life and sometimes the guy is right in front of you.
Speaker 3: You know, you don't realize it's going.
Speaker 2: You know, someone you look at this abstract idea of like a Wall Street guy or you know, a tray, you know, having biological truth. You know, you got your Harry, you got your Baby's doesn't look the way, you know, And I think that is a really nice thing to remember that sometimes they'll happen in a way that's unexpected. To stay open hearted, you know, And I think that's what I want to maintain as the Charlotte in me, like not losing hope.
Speaker 3: I'm going to get that role. I'm going to make that guy.
Speaker 2: It's all gonna work out, and it does, you know it all you know in life, you know, of course ups and downs, and you know you can have many happy endings and happy you know episodes, you know, chapters in your in your life.
Speaker 3: So it was a very long winded way of saying, I'm a Charlotte. I love it, I'm Charlotte.
Speaker 1: That was a good, deep way because you're right, we have known her a long time and it means different things at different times, right, And that's what's great about playing a character for so long, obviously, but also like in something where people can relate, and that's kind of why I wanted to do this podcast, just to be able to, like, I love to hear the fans stories, you know, when I'm out in the world, and they always have something really interesting that they can pull from it. And you know, maybe you know, obviously every character has something super important to pull from. It's not like Charlotte is different or special or whatever. I just happen to play her, I mean, so, but like for me, I'm Parlot Charlotte Park Carrie, you know, because I feel like Carrie's always kind of searching and digging and you know, who am I How do I fit into this this scenario or who do I want to be in this scenario? And I'm more of that in certain ways in my real life than I am of a Charlotte where she had so many goals. You know, she really did have these goals, and I think that also is why she fell down a lot, because the goals were so specific, right, But then she was able to learn from them, you know, to learn from the things that didn't go how she expected to be more open to the other things that might have been there all along, which I think is so important. I mean, I have to tell myself this too, you know, ongoingly never ends, really it ends. But it's so interesting to think about.
Speaker 3: The purity though of you.
Speaker 2: And that character was like we all we root for all of you, you know, to get what you want. But you had such a pure it's a pure heart, you know, and when you got hurt, we all felt hurt for you. Thank you, And that's it made the triumph so much more sweet good.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: When I watched that pilot last night, oh my god, I was like, how crazy. I'm like a little child.
Speaker 2: We're babyfaces, really babies.
Speaker 1: And I said earlier, I'm like a puppy, like a baby puppy, right right, Yeah, this is what I was thinking. I was like, my god, I'm glad it worked out, like oh yeah, yeah me for her.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, because like I was like, wow, the nineties in New York was it was a different time.
Speaker 1: It looks so different in the pilot, so different seventies.
Speaker 3: Yes, I will yeah, I was there.
Speaker 1: I would go to visit. My parents would take me to Like I saw Sarah and Annie when we.
Speaker 3: Were Oh my god, what wonderful sous.
Speaker 1: I didn't know her. I saw her, and I mean I remember Times Square in the seventies was like you.
Speaker 2: Would never got her, right no, And in the nineties you wouldn't have gone there sounds like land right yeah.
Speaker 1: And also like the village like at the end, I mean, I don't know where we actually shot that final scene with she and Bigue so great obviously, but like when she gets out of the car, I'm like, where is she? Because that doesn't look anything like the village right now. It's literally you would have to go I don't know, thirty miles outside of New York to find that. Yeah, yeah, warehouse. You looking thing going on in the dark. I don't know what's happening. There's no light, there's no dark, there's no streakoreyahut door dying like it. It's just night and day. But that is kind of what you love about the cities, that it's always evolved.
Speaker 3: It's evolving.
Speaker 2: But I think it was like a time capsule, you know, the pilots, Oh, big time New York was like, and how it looked and and what it was like to be young, you know, And I know we weren't there.
Speaker 3: Young and we you know what I mean that young?
Speaker 2: What do you say?
Speaker 1: No, we weren't no, I was.
Speaker 3: I see what we were.
Speaker 1: I was like thirty something.
Speaker 3: I think I was in my twenties, like twenties.
Speaker 1: Oh how adorable.
Speaker 3: Oh I don't even know how old you are.
Speaker 1: And we were older because I remember early exactly, and we all were. And that was a big thing because remember, I don't know if you went through this, but when I was first auditioning whatever, the part said, oh, you said you're that eight. Oh yeah, you did not say you you were your real eight. If I was older, you said you're older. If it was younger, you were twenty two, whatever it was, you were like, yes, I'm twenty two, you know what I mean. And then the freedom of playing a woman in her thirties, we were like what I heard of? But this is also when you thought your career was over at forty. Yes, like we really did not ever perceive that we would have bigger success.
Speaker 3: Yeah, crazy longevity, a magic god.
Speaker 2: Yes, right, And it's so nice for other for actors to say that for you know, and actually it's different now and the world is and our stories are interesting, you know, Well that's why.
Speaker 1: We wanted to do it, just like that, like, why why would our stories be over?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: They're not over richer, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and just as interesting. And I can't wait for the for the next season.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's a it's it's a it's a good one.
Speaker 3: It's a big one's look at the eyebrows, you know.
Speaker 1: It's all we just finished. I'm still recovering intense. So it's intense. It is intense, But we're just so lucky to still be doing it.
Speaker 2: You are, and I'm sorry, and you can tell that you really, it's genuine feel lucky because I heard.
Speaker 1: Of it's really to have and you know, so lucky.
Speaker 2: Stay with these characters and evolve with them and keep telling the stories. And it's so generous to the audience and to the.
Speaker 1: Us, like the support, you know. For not the audience, we wouldn't be able to do it, you know what I mean. It's a it's a cycle, it's a circuit.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: It's important. But it's also funny because I when I watched yours, I was like, we don't even know what happened to her.
Speaker 3: Right to know what happened to her? Is we do?
Speaker 2: I think there's a whole company episode that we could go back. Stick with me, okay, and just see the trajectory. There was Elizabeth maybe she won a Pulitzer or something.
Speaker 3: I don't know. She was a journalist. I love it. Maybe she does a cover story on Carrie Charlotte, Carrie, you know, the whole bit. Yeah, you know, like whatever happened to her.
Speaker 2: She's on the cover of Forbes something, you know. But it was just such a and you know, it's it's interesting. I had friends that didn't even know I had done Sex in the City. And then I think the pandemic when when the series came back, people wanted to go back to the beginning. So I had so many people at one point saying, you're.
Speaker 1: Sex and the City in the city.
Speaker 2: Yeah. A friend of mine just texted me from an airplane. I'm like, look, the lad in front of me is watching you on Sex and the City.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 2: So it kind of is. It's given me a boost, you know, and I was only in you know a little bit, but you're so good.
Speaker 3: Oh well, who knew.
Speaker 1: It's like not complete, but it's like a really like you get the story, like you know what I'm saying, Like we don't even really follow the rest of us well that much.
Speaker 2: But it's the premise of the show that it's really set up, like what can happen when this wide eyed, you know a person comes to me. I was that wide eyed person coming from Australia. Oh that's another thing. The accent was dodgy as hell because no one asked me if I was really British, Like you said with the auditions, if you're thirty.
Speaker 3: Three, thirty three, if you're twenty four twenty four, are you British?
Speaker 2: Yeah, hell yeah, And no one at that point like say anything about my you know.
Speaker 1: It's okay. We were paying attention to so many other things, but to go like there's one word where I'm like.
Speaker 3: Wait what But that's okay?
Speaker 2: But I mean yeah, like you know, British Australian, that's foreign. Yeah, for a holiday Australians with your Louis d and my hair, your yellow.
Speaker 1: Cat and in your hat and my check is just amazing, so amazing.
Speaker 3: What a what a beginning?
Speaker 1: What a beginning? Yeah? Well, the thing that I think is interesting is like there's two main points, right, So one is the ghosting, which we don't call it obviously the ghostings. We don't have that word yet. But the other, which I remember more so personally as being The super fascinating part is can women go around and casually have sex like a man and not have emotions right? And that's what we debate at the one scene we all have together at Miranda's birthday and I'm Charlotte's like, what about romance? You know? And they're all like, you know right, and you know, Samantha is very powerful about it all. And then Carrie goes and tries to do research with the Bill Sage character. He's so beautiful. Oh my jesus, go I know, I know, and I remember having a little like Bill Sage crush run into him and I'd be like, oh that Bill Stage is here. So I don't know, not my type. I don't know. He didn't seem to you know what I'm saying. He was like quite fabulous, stunning, and she goes. Sarah goes up. You know, she's got her eyes because she's got her brown hair, and she's like, you know, how about you know your place? And he's like three o'clock and she's like, I'm just like whoa. She's like incredible, and then she goes and they're in bed and it shows her enjoying it. And then he comes up from the covers and there's some stain on the sheet, which I'm just like, what ear Okay, it's probably makeup. I don't know what's going on. Everything's like kind of messy in the pilot, you know. And then he's like, what about my turn? And she's like, no, sorry, gotta go. I'm like, oh my god, it's incredible. You don't see this on television now.
Speaker 3: No, thirty years Dark. No, that was bold, right, it was really bold.
Speaker 1: And then she goes out on the sidewalk and runs into big and drops the condos.
Speaker 3: No, it's incredible.
Speaker 2: It was, and it needed to be seen and it needed to happen. And the fact that that was the show that did it, yeah.
Speaker 1: Remarkable, But also like, think about it now, I do feel saying earlier, I do feel like in terms of women, like we are, we do have this ability to be casual and have hookups and you know, in an equal manner to men then back then. But I still don't know, you know, can women have sex without feeling?
Speaker 3: And I don't know. I can't. I mean, I'm not.
Speaker 2: I just my feelings are in everything, you know, So I don't even know that I want to have sex like a man, Like I'm quite happy happy having sex like a woman, you.
Speaker 1: Know, and sometimes I would like because I well, but.
Speaker 2: If you're not feeling it, then you still want to feel it, yes, right, if you're going to feel it, you feel it in.
Speaker 1: A way where when you're gone, you're up, I'm going.
Speaker 3: To cry it's over. And I think just and also being open.
Speaker 2: I think just being a creative person, you have to be been herded all the time, so it's it's valid points feelings, you know, it's hard to sort of leave feelings behind. But yeah, it's interesting. You know, they have sex like a man, and I love that she did that. I thought it was so empowering and so awesome.
Speaker 3: I agree it was, it was great. But yeah, it's interesting.
Speaker 2: It's so interesting that Yeah, like you said, not even now, are people really doing that or feeling bold enough to to cavalier with men and sex?
Speaker 1: And I mean, I feel like there might be because of the apps and everything, like the dating.
Speaker 2: Apps like hinge, you can be more anonymous as the one, right, I don't know, right, never been on them.
Speaker 3: I have been on and off them.
Speaker 2: Really, I kind of go on them and then it's like, oh my god, I can't do and starting for someone to like meet me on my sofa at home, like just walk in the door, and which is just not gonna happen.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say that that's bold.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think it's going to happen. I just I'm not good at dating. I'm just not want to. I just but I don't go to bas I don't go dad.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't think that's where people meet people, because is it anyway?
Speaker 2: I mean, I guess I'm on the train sometimes, but like I don't look up, you know, I'm just hoping like one of my friends will just introduce me to a great guy.
Speaker 3: That's nice. I live with three great men as it is, you know, and that you know, I feel like they're.
Speaker 1: That's a lot that I'm not still looking for someone. Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Wow. But it's just like I feel very fulfilled, you.
Speaker 1: Know, which is great, right. I think we should do some kind of a poll with everyone we have on of all ages to find out and maybe in our socials someone can tell us, like, are these younger women, yes, who've come up with the age of like apps and social media and whatnot? Are they able to go have casual sex if they want to? What's it like if they want to, and what's it like? We need to know.
Speaker 3: I would love that because that's just not how I grew. You just wouldn't know. It was a lady for us.
Speaker 2: She wasn't you know, it wasn't uh feminine, you know, but why why do wea but why not? Yeah?
Speaker 3: No, it's so misogynistic. Don't even think that, right, And I'm the woman.
Speaker 1: What we were grand?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and to.
Speaker 2: Be you didn't want to be aggressive, you know. And it's like you just so you want to be asked out.
Speaker 3: You want to You don't want to be the one boo boo boo.
Speaker 2: Like I like it's okay to ask someone out or I like you definitely.
Speaker 3: I remember the first time I told Hi man I liked him before he said he liked me. Was he shocked? No, He's like, I like you too, you know, And then we kissed. That was nice.
Speaker 2: But I felt like this was just like the old Sarah would never have done that. I would have waited for him to call and say.
Speaker 1: I know the things we go through, my.
Speaker 2: Godmure and you know you can still make Charlotte femininity guy, Oh my guy, and all the guys.
Speaker 1: Wow, I'm impressed. I'm way impressed. You're the perfect first guest. Oh my gosh, you're more Charlotte than me. I think, okay, let's talk about the men, because you know the men in the pilot, like she does say that great line where they show all the people walking down the street and she says like, you know, these women pay taxes and they wear strapping manolo's and yet they are alone. There's like a little beat before she goes alone. Yeah, and then you know every man who talks to the camera. First of all, they're horrific. Second of all, they say toxic bachelor.
Speaker 2: Toxically in yes print yes, and it's true fail up, like.
Speaker 3: Why are we struggling?
Speaker 2: And there's a lot of you know, chat about how you know things have become more equal and things, you know, a lot.
Speaker 3: Of have they.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I really feel like.
Speaker 2: You know, the cream of the crop of women are out there in a single and these men. I diated a man, well, we went out to who ate baby food?
Speaker 1: Like what?
Speaker 3: And I went out on a second and third date with him? He ate babyfood?
Speaker 1: Why I don't know. Was he trying to diet.
Speaker 3: I don't think so.
Speaker 2: But he took me to really good restaurants and would order boiled rice and he had like a container of apple sauce and yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I.
Speaker 3: Like boiled rice. Can I tell you what?
Speaker 1: This guy also an actor? He would he I would order regular food, and he would order like vegetables or whatever with like steamed vegetables, like like kind of like you would think of actress, I know. And then I would regular food. He'd be like, let me smell it, so we would like, oh god.
Speaker 3: I'd be like, oh that's so weird.
Speaker 1: I know, and he'd be like, oh, I feel better now. I'd be like, all right, what.
Speaker 3: You do to stop dating actors?
Speaker 1: I know, giving them money? I love us, but I know, I know, I know. I yeah, I don't get me started on my taste. But but I wait here, what happened? Did you ask the man why he was eating baby food?
Speaker 3: He said he's not. He said he had simple tastes. He had.
Speaker 2: He said he has a simple like you know, he's not into like really complicated food. I'm like, that is not someone that eats like you could eat uncomplicated.
Speaker 3: But still order off the menu. It was really really fast.
Speaker 1: It's weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, mashed potatoes and the little thing at apple sauce like and I thought, God, does he have like a mummy fantasy?
Speaker 3: Does he want me to like give him a bottle later? Like before bed? It didn't get that far.
Speaker 1: I'm glad, But what these are?
Speaker 2: The guy I also met, I had another blind date. We were set up by a mutual friend too. We had a really nice dinner in New York City. But I sat down with tall, handsome, gorgeous, good family I'd heard from. I googled him and he we said, hadn't even ordered cocktails. And he was like, wait there, Like I was gonna go anywhere. He goes back to the end, back at the kitchen.
Speaker 1: Basically, Okay, it's the bar.
Speaker 2: Are all the diners into the kit comes back a few minutes later with a guitar, sits down and start singing. The whole restaurant stops and looks, and people have their phones and their feeling because I guess they figure he's about to propose or something. I don't why he started singing Kiss the Girl from a Little Mermaid in the Jamaican accent and I remember my face was so frozen in a smile that it started to hurt. And I remember thinking he kept singing, and he kept singing, and I wanted to die.
Speaker 3: I wanted someone. I think he was trying to impress me.
Speaker 2: I wanted someone to have a heart attack so we could like talk about that instead. I wanted to know that'd be a crash on Madison Avenue, like a car crash, so we could go, oh my god, there's a car crash.
Speaker 3: And he would put his guitar down.
Speaker 1: That is really embarrassing.
Speaker 3: And you know what else is embarrassing? I went out on a second date with him. You did because I think you want to know is there something wrong with me? My friends? I was like, is there something wrong with me?
Speaker 1: That?
Speaker 3: Doesn't every woman want to be serenaded?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: I'm sure that's that was like, no, no, because you didn't put that out there.
Speaker 3: Did you tell him your dream is to be serenaded?
Speaker 1: Like you might not know.
Speaker 3: I didn't know, Sam, I wanted to die.
Speaker 1: Sorry if you're listening.
Speaker 2: And it takes a lot to embarrass me, like you know, as an actor, I was dying in all not the good ways, and he was so pleased with this.
Speaker 3: He said, can you believe I did that? And it's like, no, I really can't.
Speaker 1: This is my theory Sarah on this, Okay, because this is a very unusual story. I think he had seen you on twenty four and or Sex and City and he was like, I'm going out with this glamorous, beautiful actress. What's a musical exactly, I'm going to knock her socks off. I'm going to surprise her. I'm going to go big, like a big gesture, you know what I mean. I mean, which you should wait maybe later in the relationship for.
Speaker 3: It figure out what I mean.
Speaker 1: You like, it came from a good place, so deep, but it's so strange that he would pick like a kid's song.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Also, the entire is.
Speaker 1: A broad swing. Okay, it was really big thing.
Speaker 2: But I think I agree with you. I think that like, he came from all the right places. It just it was it was a lot, and and that's why I went out.
Speaker 3: That's why I went out with him, and he ultimately, you know.
Speaker 1: Did you find someone?
Speaker 3: We went for each other. I think he I think he might have found some hope. So yeah, and she likes to Yah.
Speaker 1: They can go to Disneyland, they can go on the Rock, you know what I mean, the Little Mermaid. My kids love it.
Speaker 3: Yes, Frozen and all of them. Totally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good one. Wow. So in general, this is my question when I was watching the pilot, do we feel like it's different than it was in the pilot? Because here she is saying, they are all these incredible successful women in Manhattan, but also in the world, and where are all the great guys? Like, do we feel like that's different?
Speaker 3: God, I'd love to say it's different.
Speaker 2: I think there are so many I mean, I'm a woman, so obviously I can only speak to the you know, female perspective on things. And I'm middle aged, like, I'm not a young person dating in the city.
Speaker 3: I have no idea what that is like totally, but I think.
Speaker 2: The playing field has evened out a little and that we don't put up with that kind of good good call, and we pick We're smarter, you know, we can pick toxicity.
Speaker 3: You know, we know what ghosting is, we know what being rear windowed? What is it?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: No white light, black lights?
Speaker 1: What ges light? Window?
Speaker 3: You don't want to be real windows?
Speaker 1: No? I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't think I do.
Speaker 1: I don't think it was totally. I know you're saying there's more, there's more we can yes.
Speaker 2: And and we look out for each other. And social media, you know, you can bring things back to the golfriend. Oh I saw him, I saw him out at that other place. Wait, you know on snap and there's the snap map. And I'm learning this from my kids. You can you can see someone's location on the snap. Yeah, what the heck? Yeah in real time? Yeah, in real time. So it's like, oh, she's not at the movies with her friends, she's like them all with someone else.
Speaker 1: Uh, yeah, well I didn't know this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I do think so, I think we're there's tools.
Speaker 2: But I do think with that comes like a sense of like we're harder, you know, like harder, like I think, you know, when you're expecting someone to to to mess up or not be truthful, or to gaslight you, or to not be honest, right, you're kind of guarded, and you should be guarded. But I think it's also important to keep that part that's soft, that we'll find love that will be open and not everyone's perfect and not and.
Speaker 3: Everyone's going to break up, and everyone's gonna.
Speaker 2: Like, maybe tell a white lie, maybe maybe you know, or try and protect themselves in the beginning, and we all want to put our best face forward. I think that's what I used to do. I used to sort of, you know, want people to think I was perfect and this is me. Now I just put it out there right away. So to Charlotte, now, I'm just like, look, I have three kids. My life is messy. You know that's great.
Speaker 1: Yes, be who you are, Yeah, totally.
Speaker 2: But I didn't even know if I want to live with someone anymore. But if you want to, like, you know, have two different places, that would be good. I have two different says.
Speaker 1: Do you remember the part of the Pilot where someone I think it must be Carrie says, wait, maybe I don't know who it is, but someone says that we're self selecting down to a smaller and smaller group.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's clever. Yeah, yeah we are me.
Speaker 1: No, well cool, it's something like that. That is so true. Yeah, there's just so many things that are still so true. Yeah, and I can't believe it.
Speaker 3: You know, it's okay to have like, you know, your people, okay.
Speaker 1: But it's also like you're saying, if you're not open to being surprised, then you're probably not going to be surprised because you're not open to it.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: So there's that yes, right.
Speaker 3: So you have to find a balance.
Speaker 1: I guess, right, But I think the question and I don't know the answer. Definitely. The question is are there great guys out there? And I mean there must be, but like my feeling is they're all in relationship.
Speaker 2: They're all in relationships. There are plenty of great guys out there, they're just not single right right, And you know, it's timing is everything, and you know, oftentimes I'll meet someone and then I'd.
Speaker 3: Like, do I really want to be in a relationship?
Speaker 2: It's very time consuming, you know, sharing a life with somebody, and I kind of want like a sometime roommate sometimes. But then I guess that makes me sound casual and I'm not right, Well that can you have sex like a man like I want? I guess I just want the cuddle. I kind of like, you know, the cuddle, the you know, someone to put there. I was flew out here from New York and I was, you know, waiting to get on my plane and I saw this couple, and he was taller than her, and she literally just just kind of rested.
Speaker 3: Her head on his shoulder and like held onto.
Speaker 2: His arm, and I kind of it kind of took my breath away because I was like, that's what I miss. Yeah, that's what I like, you know, not the not the fireworks, you know, fancy you know stuff, the movie stuff.
Speaker 3: It's that like.
Speaker 2: Being able to lean on someone while you're in line to do something really you know, basic and yeah, you know boring.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I know, that's very profound. It's very profound.
Speaker 2: I mean that's intimacy at a really beautiful level.
Speaker 1: Yes, I agree, I agree. Yes, I mean, so well, let's just end that there's there there's hope.
Speaker 3: There is hope.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there is hope.
Speaker 2: Yes, they're absolutely just got goosebumps and uh and Charlotte and your portrayal of her.
Speaker 3: So pure and so thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: I'm lucky to play her so wonderful for Babe, for us all to watch.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I'm just like, I still get to do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we get to watch it, you know, I know.
Speaker 1: It's super super mind blowing to think of the pilot being all that time ago. Oh, I can't even really say the number out low because I don't really know. I you know what I mean, it's more than twenty five years, That's what I know, because we had like a celebration that it was twenty five years and that was like two years ago, So I guess it's like twenty seven years ago.
Speaker 3: That's like what century?
Speaker 1: Like how could that be true?
Speaker 2: Like so much as to the carriage and also you know, in the world, in the world and the cast like marriage, lived, life, you know, death.
Speaker 3: I don't can't, okay, I yes.
Speaker 1: Yes, life is and life is intense. It's intense, I know. But we've been on the wildest, wildest ride, you know, We've been all over the world. Oh, I don't think we want to get off if they'll let us continue, which I don't know, but you know, I mean, we love what we do so much, so much, and we're so lucky, and it's so I'm so grateful, you know, for all of it, for every phase and everyone who has allowed us to find ourselves. You know, because if you think about how the show has changed and then beginning to do the movies and then getting to do the new show, like we have had this every single time, we have to prove ourselves again, Like it seems from the outside like it must be easy. No, no, we had to go pitch and just like that's harder.
Speaker 3: I'm sure each time.
Speaker 1: There's the previous thing that that they want to live up to, right, But then you also have to let go of that in a certain way because life changes and people change and the stories evolve, and you know, it's it's all very fascinating. I'm just very very grateful.
Speaker 3: It's incredible. It's magic. He guys, magic capture magic.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you for your partner. Well you started remember of course, how can I forget? Like I said, I want to know what happens to her Elizabeth?
Speaker 3: Well maybe in the next uh, I know, does she still?
Speaker 1: Does she still?
Speaker 3: You know what she could have of the vintage?
Speaker 1: She could with that money?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, maybe that's that's.
Speaker 3: That's full circle. I was like, there you go had the hat box?
Speaker 1: Oh of it?
Speaker 3: I know?
Speaker 1: And is that, sir Jessica's because like, how could we have afforded that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I don't know what That's a good that's a good trivia question. Yeah, she has it, she has it, of course she does.
Speaker 3: She'd have the hat box.
Speaker 1: Made me carry a hat box all over Morocco.
Speaker 3: Isn't that funny?
Speaker 1: Yes, it was awkward. It was always like these things are not And I had a massive hat Michael Patrick Haye is so beautiful. I'm sorry that, oh we put a lot of sunscreen onto but yes, uh you know, yes, I guess this the has helped. That has help. But yeah, hat boxes are kind of a special thing. I very call back, go back old Hollywood. Yeah, I do love them too, but I mean I.
Speaker 2: Remember wanting to have one in high school and I think I ended up getting like a codboard.
Speaker 3: One thing that that was how it was going to travel. I didn't have any hats.
Speaker 1: Listen, I've got the Vyton makeup case, and I did you one time when it's sitting on the top of your pile in the back of the cabin, I was like, oh, I got one time. I was working in South Africa and I wanted my character to have it, but I had to bring it because they definitely could afford it. And I was I had adopted my son, who's who's my youngest child, and he was six months old and I was taking him to South Africa with me to do this movie with a baby nurse and in the Louis Vutant, I packed his formula bottles because a picture of that, but I did not because you don't think you're just so stressed. Yeah, oh my god, what do I have to take it for this more than travel six? He did so great. I had bought like this, we're so off topic, but I bought Starbucks card for everybody because we were in the first class lounge, the first class cabin of Everts. I was like, these people are going to be so upset with me because I have this tiny baby. You thought I was going to be mad, Well, my baby nurse did. Yeah, so we bought Starbucks card for everyone. He did not make up, but I handed them out anyway.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I.
Speaker 1: Mean he was like a little angel, a little angel the planes.
Speaker 2: Actually, I took my son to go further off topic when he was three months old to Australia and.
Speaker 3: That was a long and I remember everyone.
Speaker 2: Looked at me in I was in business class and he had a little crib and the.
Speaker 3: Woman sitting next to me, I just sat down.
Speaker 2: I'm like, sorry, I'm a nurse.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: I was like nursing and stuff because I was saying, what if I sit next to it? And that's a long time to you know, he slept the entire, the entire It's amazing. I was like, I'll hold him whatever you need.
Speaker 1: This is when that's when you need watching this or listening or whatever. Who has a baby fly with them when they're kind three to six months you think you shouldn't.
Speaker 3: But when they're not so bad, no, no, then you need.
Speaker 2: Then you need more than a stuff you need give card tifinator.
Speaker 1: Everybody, totally totally anyway, we have definitely gone off. Yeah, but it was really fun. You're so fun to talk to you.
Speaker 3: Oh I love you. You're amazing.
Speaker 2: It's just like I love this. It's just are you watching going on? Is that how you're gonna like you'll cover the.
Speaker 1: Well, that's how we can over the themes, right, And I mean we're recapping, but not in the way like some people recap and talk about like lines, scenes, whatever. And I'm like, oh my god, I don't even know if I can do that. But like, just to watch the pilot because I haven't watched it in at least twenty years, I mean a very long time. Right, you know, you're reminded of so much. So it's like, I want to tell you about what it was like to be there, what I remember, you know, different things stick out obviously, and then some things you're like, I don't even remember that, you know what I mean, it's just behind the scenes. But also the thing that I love the most about it is that the themes that we talked about then are still so relevant, you know, it's still so interesting. And that's why I like to hold them up now and say like, is this still true?
Speaker 3: Is this not still true?
Speaker 1: It's super interesting, you know, and I'm sure each guest will have their own.
Speaker 3: It's fascinating and it's and we still don't know.
Speaker 2: We're still asking the questions, which keeps us curious, which keeps things interesting.
Speaker 3: Which is great.
Speaker 1: That's a great and that's what I think carrying bodies right, She's always like what if? Or what's your things? I wonder if? Or you know, like that these are good questions to be as.
Speaker 2: Curiosity is something so lacking. People are really good at talking and they're not good at listening. And I think when you're curious, you inherently want to listen, and not everyone can host a podcast, so you.
Speaker 3: Obviously you're a really good.
Speaker 2: Listener, My first guest, we'll find out, that's my of all the podcasts.
Speaker 3: I've been on. No, You're You're You're great.
Speaker 1: You darling, thank you for being here for my first guest for Charlotte, my first sure and she was in fact to Charlotte more than me, which is quite amazing.
Speaker 3: You know, I was inspired.
Speaker 1: Ah, so we hope you guys will be back next week. Yeah,