Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's The Dan Patrick Show, Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 3: LaVar Arrington, Brady Quinn, Jonas Knox with you here in for Dan and the guys. You can hear us weekday mornings on Two Pros and a Cup of Joe Monday through Friday, six am Eastern time, three o'clock Pacific. But we are in for the boys here on this three hour extravaganza taking you all the way up until noon Eastern time, nine o'clock Pacific.
Speaker 2: Still kind of reeling from lead.
Speaker 3: To lap our executive producers hot dog count from yesterday on National hot Dog Day, revolting the five hot dogs Lee had yesterday in a four to five hour span because it was Hot Dog Day?
Speaker 2: Is that more than you've had in your entire life?
Speaker 4: Brady? Like that?
Speaker 5: I'd have to go back so far to think about the last time. I mean, I haven't ate many hot dogs. I threw him up once I was a kid, and that was kind of it. Once you see, like what you eat thrown back up, it's hard to then eat that again.
Speaker 6: At least that's that's not his for me. I don't know if it is for you guys, I mean, is that is that too much?
Speaker 4: That?
Speaker 6: Tm?
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 4: I just have a weak stomach. Man, It's all good.
Speaker 5: You If you could have seen the way I threw up all over this little like back patio. It was covered and it was a combination of hot dogs, orange.
Speaker 6: Juice, and chips.
Speaker 5: At like six in the morning, my dad, Chopper came out and just goes, what the hell. He just he gets the hose out, He sprang down the back patio.
Speaker 6: He sprang me down.
Speaker 5: At the same time, I'm like, in my pajamas is soaking wet with puke and everything on me.
Speaker 6: It was, oh, not good.
Speaker 4: You know, it brings up a fond memory of throwing up for for me as well.
Speaker 6: You know New Orleans.
Speaker 4: No not, I didn't throw up in New Orleans. In New Orleans, no, no, I did it. I did it. But my daughter, she didn't want to go to school this one day in particular, the one that just celebrated her tenth birthday. And she's like, oh, you know, my stomach is hurting, like, my stomach hurts. And you know, you's an eight year old kid, You're like, your stomach doesn't hurt. Your stomach is going to be just fine. You gotta go to school. We're driving to school. We almost are to school. She's like, Dad, my stomach hurts. And I was like, I was like, it's just odd that the closer we're getting to school. And before I could even finish my sentence, she I mean she hit the back seat up, she hit my arm, the arm rest, the foot. Oh, you wasn't lying. And it looked like it. It looked like kepto bismal. I had no idea why it came out that the color that it did, and like the texture of what it was. It was bad. But I turned around and took her home.
Speaker 3: Well, what's the old adage, you know, just listen to your body. It'll tell you everything you need to know. If something hurts, don't do it, if if if something comes back.
Speaker 4: What if you think somebody's given you an excuse? I felt bad?
Speaker 2: Only one way to prove you wrong.
Speaker 4: Well, I've never questioned her again. She was telling the truth. He got an honest kid, there, I guess. So I gave it up all love it too.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you know if Russell Wilson's ready to give it up yet clearly he's not uh. This was in speaking with Connor Or of Sports Illustrated, Russell Wilson spoke about how much longer he wants to play quote five plus years. I can still throw the ball sixty five seventy yards, I can still move, and I think I'm capable of doing a lot. It's funny because to me, being in Denver in my first year, I was hurt most of the time and battled through it. The second year, I felt like myself again. Then going to Pittsburgh, obviously, unfortunately I got injured early in the season, didn't end up the way we wanted it to, but it just rejuvenated everything. And then being here in New York with the Giants, it's like playing at the stadium again knowing that I've held the trophy here before. So that was Russell Wilson talking with Connor Orr about his desire to keep playing four or five more years. This is his fourth team in five years. Hasn't the market kind of already spoken on him? And they just drafted a quarterback in the first round, So it feels like it's more likely that if.
Speaker 4: He brought in a backup that could beat him out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it just feels like it's more likely that if he does want to play four or five more years, it's going to be in situations like this where yeah, he's the starter for the time being until the rookie or the younger quarterback gets developed. That's what it feels like at this point in his career.
Speaker 4: God Cue, you got it.
Speaker 5: I think it's hard for every athlete. It doesn't matter, by the way, like at what level, but in particular when you're at the professional level, and even for someone who has won a Super Bowl, has been to two, has you know, played at an MVP level, I think to feel like they're not able to get the job done right. I think we all like to some degree. I mean, again, LeVar, I'm sure there's times when you see, man, man, you're like, I could take them. Like, if I find you need to go in for a few plays, I could do it. Now can you do it consistently for the entirety of a game, for the entirety of a season. That's where it gets a lot more difficult, not only for your level of performance, but just to stay healthy.
Speaker 4: I mean.
Speaker 5: One of the things that he admitted to you when he's saying this too, is the injuries that have crept up more and more. You remember how durable Russell Wilson was at the beginning of his career, despite the fact that he put himself in harm's way all the time. I mean, dude, how often did we see him in his rookie and even second, third, fourth seas There'd be these players where you like, holy cow, is Houdini? How do you find his way out of that? How did you make that throw? How did you make that player get out of you know, and scrambled it to run and pick up the first down. Now, at times, you know, he never took the big shot for the most part, but I think as it wore on and as he kind of realized that that's harder and harder to do. As you age and you're not quite as fast or explosive, your game has to change as well. And I think that's one of the things that not just for him, it's difficult for any professional athlete to be able to see that because the game mentally is slown down, like what you see out there is like in slow mow. You know where everyone's supposed to be, you know what the responsibilities are. Then it becomes more of a battle of the physical and your ability to actually do it and get your body to do what you wanted to do when you need it to be done. And that's where I feel like there's a bit of a disconnect probably between you know, how how he's feeling, how he's played, but what he thinks about, you know, everything mentally, because he's like, dude, this game's never felt easier in my mind watching it and seeing it. So it's it's just kind of interesting to me when you hear these words because at times, you know they might come off it sound like Uncle Rico from Napoleon Dynamite.
Speaker 6: You know, it comes off a little bit like that. But how much you want to make a bet I can throw a football over.
Speaker 7: The mountain, I'll just say, like, at times it feels like that, but then at other times you go, okay, like he just feels like he's healthy.
Speaker 5: Now, he's in a better spot to go and perform. But time will tell. I mean the draft pick two behind him that you know the fans are gonna be clamoring for him. The organization is eventually gonna want to see what they have in Jackson Dart. He's obviously a first rund draft pick for a reason. So the running is not kind of already on the wall. And I think that's what makes it difficult for Russell Wilson. The spot he has to.
Speaker 6: Hit the ground running.
Speaker 5: There can't be any lag or stall or anything in his performance. And the injuries like he had last year starting off in Pittsburgh where he couldn't get into the season healthy, none of that can take place. He's got a very very slim margin for air to start this thing, get off on a hot start to maintain being the starting quarterback.
Speaker 3: By the way, to your point, he didn't miss a start until his last year in Seattle, and I think that was the mallet finger he suffered. He suffered the mallet finger his final year in Seattle, and then he missed a couple of games, But before that, never missed a game, never missed a start his entire career.
Speaker 5: And by the way, and I've told you this because I to this day, i'd male finger my my index fingers on my throng hands.
Speaker 6: Never never felt the same after that.
Speaker 5: And you know, again, I don't know exactly what he went through from the procedure everything else, And it sounds like something so small like LeVar.
Speaker 6: Is probably like, oh, like what are you your index finger?
Speaker 5: No, but it's like for a throw, it's important, right like that, that's like a little thing where you see like a major league baseball pitcher, he's like on the il for like a hangnail, but like it's kind of important if they can't throw the way they need to. And I don't know that he's ever been the same throwing the football in his career after that, and again something small, but those injuries add up and it changes the way you play.
Speaker 4: Let me throw this out at you, guys. We talked about Bill Belichick or excuse me, Robert Kraft and what he had to say and taking the risk in hiring Bill Belichick, which to me was a flex to remind people like, let's slow down here. Let's not get carried away about talking about Bill Belichick because he's going to be a Hall of Fame coach. Let's not get carried away about who he was a part of making a legendary player. And Tom Brady because I'm the one that made it all possible with what I did. He's searching for that validation, he's searching for that appreciation. I look at Russell Wilson, and I think he's searching for the validation. I think he's still searching for or the appreciation. He's going to two Super Bowls, as you've mentioned, he's won one Super Bowl, as we've mentioned. I don't know what the ten Pro Bowls are. I don't know if they are first first ballot Pro Bowlers or if they're alternate Pro Bowlers, which it does. I mean at some point, I don't know if it still matters, but at some point it mattered if you were an alternate versus if you were a starter to the Pro Bowl. So I don't know how many of those ten are one or the other. But outside of that, he's never been a first team All Pro. And if you look at his body of work, if he's not as appreciated as he needs to be going into retirement or possibly ending up being a career backup for the rest of his time as an NFL player, is he at risk of not being a Hall of Famer. And I wonder if that is what's circulating in his mind within this five year period of time. I'm in a great market. It's a really good situation to be in. I know New York has struggled, but I'm kind of high on this Giants team this year. I think they're going to surprise some people. And if he can be the catalyst at the quarterback's position in that that type of a season doing it in New York, is one year enough depending on what type of success they have to solidify his career, or does it take one. I think at this point I throw it out at you, guys, and you could take it however, you know where you want to take it. But I think he still needs more more than one good season to solidify being at least a first ballot Hall of Famer let alone, possibly could miss being a Hall of Famer if he doesn't have critical years in these last few years that he has in the league as a starter.
Speaker 3: Which is kind of crazy considering if you were to say, second to last year in Seattle, all right, guys in the NFL, that are you think are going to be Hall of Famers? He would have been one that I would have thought had been a Hall of Famer. But the post Seattle era has been so up and down and played out so poorly publicly that I do wonder if now the perception of him has changed from people around the league because it feels I mean even J C. Trettor was you know, throwing him under the bus, you know for not you know, not getting the contract that he was looking.
Speaker 2: For and all that.
Speaker 3: It just feels like there's a well, when the discussion happens around Russell Wilson, it's never positive anymore. And that was never the case in Seattle until the end.
Speaker 4: Until the end.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I felt like last year got positive. I mean, he came in and gave Pittsburgh a spark on offense. I know the season didn't end the way they wanted it to, and he probably wasn't playing his best towards the end, but you know, you factor in the picking, you know, sometimes deciding he wants to be out there.
Speaker 6: Maybe he doesn't. I don't know.
Speaker 5: I mean there was a compilation I saw in social media last season when I was like I could only imagine, like I was fortunate enough to play with so many receivers that you know, you knew when they were upset, you knew when they wanted the ball, and maybe they weren't getting the ball either because the defense was taking them away or they weren't the number one read on a certain progression. You know, there were sometimes guys where they're just having bad days or they get too emotional about it, and you would see that from time to time, but I never had anyone who I felt like just wasn't going to participate in the play. I mean there's times where I felt like that watching him last year, So that played a role as well.
Speaker 6: I just.
Speaker 5: I had a former head coach tell me one time, when you start moving around to teams, He's like, it's really really hard to gain traction again.
Speaker 6: And he told me this at this point when.
Speaker 5: I was a backup, and you know, really they were offering me an opportunity to come back as a backup, and I just I wanted to take a chance to go see if I can compete to start, or be in a situation where if I was a backup, I'd have a better chance of playing. Like to me, I hated holding a clipboard, I hated sitting in meeting rooms and baskey being an insurance agent, Like that's what you are as a backup quarterback. You're the insurance policy where you go in and all of a sudden you've got to feel in the void like a starter, not getting the preparation, not getting the practice as far as the same as a starter.
Speaker 6: But that's the expectation.
Speaker 5: And I was always like, MANI stinks like I always needed reps. You know, I was slow to learn how to read when I was young. I was I was always kind of slower to develop in that regard. So I was always someone who wanted to have, you know, more, more of an opportunity to play and to actually learn from experience. And I think that's the tough part for Russell Wilson, is you get to this point where you can't find traction.
Speaker 4: How long did it take?
Speaker 6: I don't know how long it took.
Speaker 5: I'd have to go back and talk to my mom, but I just remember, you know, her needing to take extra time, meaning need to take a little extra time in school as well.
Speaker 4: But again I digress. Ye, I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: I think one of the things is when you get to a point like you're saying, Jonas, what four teams in five years? It gets hard to find traction because everyone that's there around you hasn't experienced the success you had in Seattle. They don't know you that credibility. No, no, I mean, think about think about this, like think about how long US three now have worked together. We were together for years now, so we know when we see each other at Super Bowl whatever, we like, we know what to expect. We know, like even if hey, one of us goes out with Lee, you know, Lee's a wild time. Like we know we're still we know we're US three with Lee. We know US three is still going to show up and perform. Now we don't know if Lee will be there, but we know US three will show up and perform. But like that's not the case. Now, he's got to build that back up. You know, he's only one Chili Cheese National Chili Cheese Dog. Hot Dog did away from you know, gassing up. Christopher Fetter's not gonna be able to produce this show anymore.
Speaker 4: That man could have shown up with chip teeth, He could have been hit ran over by a mac truck. I mean, there were several different scenarios that could have played out where I mean he didn't want to show up to one event because all of the cuts and scrapes on it on his face. I mean, it's just it's bad Lee. It's a it's a it's a very stressful time to wonder if we're going to roll with Lee when it's a week long trip. That's that's It's a great it's a great example, and in comparison, it's a great compre And.
Speaker 2: Then I step up as the d H in the on Friday when you guys were hurting.
Speaker 4: No, we weren't hurting. We we were we I mean, we were tired. It was the end of the week.
Speaker 6: You only didn't go out because you face planted. That's why you didn't go out.
Speaker 4: Still showed up.
Speaker 5: The next day. Yeah, but I'm saying you didn't go out that night like we did. Your nose, that's why we were hurting so bad on Friday.
Speaker 6: You were on I R. You're in your hotel.
Speaker 4: Definitely, But we're a team, baby.
Speaker 6: Basketball.
Speaker 2: I was trying.
Speaker 3: I was feeding him drinks Thursday night before and he was not saying shock, he was not saying.
Speaker 4: I'm just saying you were bold enough to actually go on the journey into you know, downtown, into to uh what's the street called Bourbon Street. Yeah, you guys, I just can't believe that you would do it, like, of all places to go with Lee where you knew it was the wrong place where he would be Bourbon Street would be tops on.
Speaker 8: That he was.
Speaker 3: He had like a three hour head start. I said, yeah, I'll go check it out. And the best part is I called Brady and because you were like you just like staying in the hotel, And I called Brady.
Speaker 6: He's like, all, what do you think?
Speaker 2: And do you want to get dinner?
Speaker 3: I was like, I kind of want to check out Bourbon Street and Brady's like, yeah, I'm definitely not doing that, Like, okay, oh, I've never been, so I want to go check it out.
Speaker 2: And I get there.
Speaker 5: By the way, in my defense, this is also after a dude got killed.
Speaker 6: I'm pretty sure he got drugged and killed.
Speaker 5: Not saying that situation would play out for me, but you know, it's not the safest place and it's like, you know, we had one more night here, you know, why put that at risk?
Speaker 4: Right? Yeah, we were safe in the hotel.
Speaker 6: Why would we leave a good time with Avar to go find a good time?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I mean we have a good time, we make the party. But Lee apparently he has to have more he has and so I went and found that hand grenade that I was on assignment. I was on assignment.
Speaker 5: We did see our entire Fox crew. To Jonas, you were like leaving at the worst possible time for your professional career.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was some dead man walking and that now that you look back on it.
Speaker 2: To so so it's.
Speaker 4: A great point.
Speaker 3: I how you think about it. Well, listen to lead the lap Is. You know, he's like our trust the old ride. And if you're still driving your trust the old ride, keep it looking sharp with Maco from DNSE to faded Paint, We've got you covered. Get a free estmate today. Uh oh, better get Maco. You say, rusty ass rat trust the old Oh don't you say it? Rusty ass whole other world. I mean that would have been more fitting. Coming up next here though, on the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio with LeVar Arrington, Brady Quinn, Jonas Knox filling in, we are going to find out the very latest. Could we be on the verge of a blockbuster trade in the NFL. We've got it for you right here on FSR.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: Hey, it's me Rock Parker.
Speaker 9: Check out my weekly MLB podcast, Inside the Park for twenty two minutes of pipe in hot baseball talk featuring the biggest names of newsmakers in the sport.
Speaker 2: Whether you believe in analytics or the I.
Speaker 9: Test, We've got all the bases covered. New episodes drop every Thursday, So do your sofa favor and listen to Inside the Parker with Rob Parker on the iHeartRadio app or wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 3: It is the Dan Patrick Show here on Fox Sports Radio. LaVar Arrington, Brady Quinn, Jonas Knox with you in for Dan and the guys coming up here and we'll call it about twenty minutes from now. We are going to have an interesting move made in the NFL in the last twenty four hours and what it means moving forward. That'll be yours here on FSR. But right now we turn it over to the man himself, senior NFL reporter, lead content strategists at the MMQB. You see him on Amazon, NFL on Primes coverage during the year, and you can get him on ex at Albert Breer AB what's happening Good Thursday morning too.
Speaker 8: Yeah, what's up, guys? I can actually see you. I know it's been get that all worked out like where we get actually passed it through, right, but we're working towards it sounds like.
Speaker 6: This is unfortunate though, Albert.
Speaker 5: Now we don't get your uh, your wife, you don't get your kids ask you you're getting to the van to head up for a hockey tournament.
Speaker 8: Though, that's right, not in the on the front porch where like I'm at risk for like the blue stooth kicking off the tahoe yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, or the or the dog in the background or any of the other many things that have tried to interrupt our interview with you.
Speaker 8: We have we have two dogs here now, so like there's even more risk because it's just kind of puppy and he's also an Aussie. Anybody who's had one of those notes out loud, they are so uh so yeah, Archie might be making uh making a debut of here's here in the next few weeks.
Speaker 6: Why did you get Why did you get an Aussie?
Speaker 8: Because that's our first time get if we have an ostie alreadyn getting another one because my wife likes to breathe. It's easy answer and I'm not gonna win.
Speaker 4: The argument is the after Archie Griffith. Was that the compromise?
Speaker 8: That's right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, there you go, figure figure that's what it was.
Speaker 8: How able everybody's gonna think it's after Archie Manning or if we start calling him Art to be after arch Manning. So anyway, that's the real life. Yeah, I will say this though, we went from like this wasn't on my radar two weeks ago. So now we have a puppy living here, so it shows you how much control I have over my own house.
Speaker 3: Are you surprised Albert and obviously covering the team? Uh, in covering the team and being around the situation for as long as you were up in the New England area. Are you surprised to see Belichick pushback the way he did on ESPN when Robert Kraft talked about the big risk he took in hiring him.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 8: The crazy thing about it is like the Craft said this a million times. There's you could if you google the keywords in there, I'm sure you could find fifty times that Robert Craft has said that. And clearly it's something that Bill's got a problem with. Like wait a minute, Like you were the one that took the risk, like I came into a situation that was broken and had to rebuild it, right, like, so clearly he had a problem with it. And I find it, like I'm not source guessing here or whatever, but I find it hard to believe that Don van Natta was listening to like the Dudes on Dudes podcasts and thought to call Bill. So my guess is that Bill was the one that prompted that conversation, which means that Bill felt strongly enough to reach out to a reporter on it. And Don van Natta, of course, is the reporter who's done some of the work on some of the discord and the Patriots organization over the last twenty years, and so picking that specific reporter to talk to I think has context too. So you know, my main takeaway is Bill's got a hair across ass about Robert vice versa. Is this becoming Jimmy Jerry?
Speaker 4: Guys? It has those type types of characteristics. Oh that's a hot Yeah, it's sort.
Speaker 8: Of like it doesn't it? Well, did you accomplished so much together and you can't leave ball enough alone? You know what I mean? Like, And it's interesting too, because the third figure in all of this is Tom Brady. And you know what I think is really fascinating about that if you look at how these things come about, Well, Bill posts Tom, you know, makes the playoffs of one and the team circle with the drain. Robert pat posts Tom is with Bill for that, then hires girod Mao, fires him after a year and has to fall in the sort of thing he was wrong about a bunch of things. And so now those two are going at it, and you got Tom sitting back, and you know why he doesn't have to say a thing is because he went to Tampa, made the playoffs four years or three years in a row, and got a rent. So you know, it's just interesting how kind of the post stretch to the to the to the dynasty is to one guy who had a ton of success right after is the one who could just kind of sit back and let the other two sight.
Speaker 6: So so this is why.
Speaker 5: And we talked about this a little bit earlier, and I said that I don't have a problem with Robert Craft saying it took a risk to hire Bill Belichick. But if someone asks you, what's your biggest risk, I don't know that Bill Belichick was at the top of the list, he had close to a five hundred record as far as being adage. Prior to that, he was already hired by another team. So clearly they were okay with that five hundred record, as was Robert Kraft. And yes they had to give up a first round pick, but it's it's not as if Robert Craft was necessarily great before that point in time as an owner in drafting first round pick. So it leads me to say, in your mind, was was this the biggest risk really Robert Craft took? I mean, Jonas brought up ages of orchid orchids, sports of AGAs.
Speaker 3: Geez, guys, guys trying to blow some steam off for God's sake.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, I don't know.
Speaker 8: Let's move that one to the side for a minute.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, ab answer the question, abe, question aside, honestly, honestly.
Speaker 6: Say flip over, is that what you said?
Speaker 8: My gosh, don't get me in trouble here, Like I don't need to. I don't taking right now. Here's what I like, Like I would say the bigger risks, like I think the decision to do what he did with Bill Parcells the very beginning, as much success as they were having, like taking power away from Bill Parcells after Bill Parcells had and I I mean I was a kid then growing up in this region, and Bill Parcells was like the messiah, like no one that franchise was a laughing stuck and Bill Parcells the one who's got it, who dragged it out of the ditch and gave it credibility. So I think taking power away from Bill Parcell's and eventually driving them away was probably the biggest risk that Robert Kraft ever took at the time when he hired Belichick. I mean, he's sort of in this position where he like his like his reputation wasn't in a great spot, so he didn't have as much to lose like when he did that with Parcels. He had a lot to lose. When he made the decision to go with Bill over Brady right in twenty twenty and the years leading up to that, that was a massive risks. He had ton to lose. So I tend to think, like when you're assessing risks, a lot of like a lot of what risk is is how much do you have to lose? And I think in nineteen ninety six and in two thy and twenty Robert katsaid way more to losing those decisions that he made versus you know where he was in the year two thousands.
Speaker 4: Listen, we're having the conversation as it applies to Robert Kraft and ultimately the comparisons or or the back and floor between him and Belichick. How much does this put a almost a target on on Mike Rabel coming in. Mike was a part of these teams as well. And maybe that's something that maybe Robert Kraft isn't thinking about, is by doing these these having these conversations, I mean, you're putting seemingly a whole lot of pressure on Mike Rabel to have to do something with this team where they're at right now.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's a weird spot to be in for sure. Like I don't know, I mean, Mike would probably want to smack me in the back of the head. I feel like if you heard me say that, it's almost like a kid with his divorced parents who are in court, you know what I mean. It's just because I mean, Mike was a player here, you know, and you can't take that context out of it. So like he's one of these guys like an Edelman who had that interview with Kraft and like so many guys that went through the place that you know, like you're going to be asked about it, you know what I mean, Like and at some point like it's going to come up, and it's a topic that hovers over things. That said, I think if anybody equipped to deal with it and has the right kind of approach towards these things and be Mike Rabel, because I just don't think I think Brabel is as the type of guy who can say I don't give a damn about that, that's not my problem and get away with it. You know, Like there are a lot of people who say that you wouldn't believe them, like I think Mike can make that believable. So like, I think in one sense, there's the former player Mice right like, who like so many of these guys, it's like two people that were so central to what was going on when you were having your greatest professional success are fighting and it's weird to be asked questions about those two people while they're fighting. So that's the former player Mike. But I think Mike right now would be more focused on being the coach and you know, having that thing go focus, saying like that's not our problem to his team, like that's something I think that he's an equal position to sell.
Speaker 3: Albert Brier joining us here on Fox Sports Radio. It's two pros and a cup of Joe filling in for Dan Patrick and the guys. Is there the potential we see any sort of crazy blockbuster trade take place with these guys looking for extensions and not able to get them done, whether it be Hendrickson, McLaurin, TJ.
Speaker 2: Watt, et cetera.
Speaker 8: I just think it's too many in the case is there's like too much much interest in getting something done. Like with what the reason you the reason you acquire Aaron Rodgers in the first place is to serve TJ. Watt, right, Like it's to serve the core that you had in play. And so like what you're doing getting Aaron Rodgers and leading into the guys that we're already there and saying, okay, we only have one or two swing fluff with this crew with your TJ. Watts If you're Cam Hayward, so so like, how would it make sense to go out and get Aaron Rodgers and get DK Metcalf and get Jalen Ramsey and get Darius play and then move off the best player from the core that you're trying to serve. And if your t GA want, is there a situation that you could go to that would be better than the one that you're already in, or would you look at it and say, this is what I've been waiting for since Ben Roethlisberger retired. It's having an answer like this. At the quarterback position. With McLaurin, it's like, I know Terry values being like a one team guy and being a guy who wrote out gig Rudin, Ron Rivera, the Salo team, the nickname change, all that different stuff, and being kind of a belt weather for the entire franchise. I know he really values that. And for dan Quinn, like Harry represents everything they're looking for. So I'd say like in most of these situations, you're looking at it like there's too much usual interest in getting something done. There's a lot of cage rattling going on now, but when the deadlines come, you think they're going to get something done. So Hendrickson thing is the one that I look at and it's a little less predictable because that one's played out over multiple off seasons, and that one there are just some moving parts as to how you pay pass rushers, and then the structure of the deal. Does he do a deal like the structure like the one Burrow and Chase it? Does he do a deal that structured like the one that Higgins did. There are a lot of moving parts that the Henderson one and a lot of history there that would say there's no way he's taking any sort of hometown discount, and so where is the comper might come? That would be the.
Speaker 5: Question, Albert, I want to ask you about these second round draft picks. Two have signed fully guaranteed deals. There were thirty unsigned. However, it looks like Alfred Collins has to side with the forty nine ers to sign a deal that is not fully guaranteed only about eighty percent, give or take.
Speaker 6: A couple of questions. We don't have a ton of time left.
Speaker 5: Why now, Why has either the NFLPA or the agents who have been involved pushed for this to get these contracts fully guaranteed? And I guess furthermore, when you're looking at the Alfred Collins deal, I would assume you think the rest are probably gonna fall suit. There's not gonna be a lot of guys getting fully guaranteed deals, or is there a mark in the draft where they're staying, like, hey, top fifty or you know those, all those guys will be fully guaranteed.
Speaker 6: But then after that probably not.
Speaker 8: I don't think. I don't have an infirm of me. I think Brady did, like he was. I think forty third overall, is that right? Yeah? Yeah, correct, yeah, forty three Okay. So the way this happened, so the Texans really wanted to get like a certain structure with their contracts and were and wanted to get it done early with Jayden Higgins. So they agreed to do the fully guaranteed deal and then Higgins Higgins agrees to the Texans structure, and so they're able to get that done early taking care of fully guaranteed. Then the next day, the very next day, this is two months ago, Carson Swussinger, who is a thirty third pick, kickers with thirty four. He does the deal, so now he's got a fully guaranteed deal. So you have the top two guys having a fully guaranteed deal. The thirty fifth pick is Nick Emon Worri the South Carolina staty who went to Seattle and like he was widely projected by a lot of people to be at least a fringe first round pick. So he's got his head. Now here's people having his head. Well, we need to get a full guaranteed deal. Then the thirty six pick is punched on Judkins, who obviously is going through the offfield stuff now, but even before that, it was like, well, Nick, you just gave Carson Swssinger three picks before me a fully guaranteed deal, so I need to get one. So now, if you're looking at this and you think at thirty five to thirty six, are pushing for it. If you're the agent for the thirty seventh picks, the thirty eight picks, the thirty nine pick, you're not going to do anything until that gets done. Then you have the fortieth pick, which is a quarterback. Right, the quarterbacks have always done deals a little bit differently. So the Shocks in New Orleans says he get a bully guaranteed deal there at forty, because if he doesn't bully guarantee deal at forty and you're thirty nine, thirty eight, thirty seven, it's gonna make you look bad as an agent as a player if you don't get one. So this thing has been complicated, and I think it's going to sort of tinge on what happens with Eamon Wori, you know, then potentially what happens with Juckins. We'll see what happens with the Arizona Guard that when you know Jonas Abaya who went thirty seventh overall, Trevan Henderson thirty eight. Like I it's just I think it's going to have to almost have it would almost have to be in order, like there has to be a Domino exect or the quarterback gets done earlier. It's it's complicated. I do think Collins deal can help with players behind him, right, so after forty three, maybe that helps move the needle on guys that were drafted behind Alfred Collins, But as far as the guys that were drafted in front of them, I still say think you're kind of at that sale name where you're waiting for either Seattle and even Worri or New Orleans and Tyler Stock to get something done.
Speaker 3: He is Albert Breer, Senior NFL reporter, lead content strategist at the MMQB. You see his work on Amazon's NFL on prime coverage. You can get him on x at Albert Breer AB. We appreciate it. Good luck with the puppy and we'll talk next week.
Speaker 8: All right, Thank Bett.
Speaker 3: There, he is, the great Albert Breer with us here on Fox Sports Radio. It is the Dan Patrick Show here on FSR. Two Pros and a cup of Joe filling in for Dan and the guys, and up next, an interesting situation to monitor in the NFL. We've got it for you right here on FSR.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern, six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio w APP.
Speaker 3: Two pros and a cup of Joe in for the Dan Patrick Show Here on Fox Sports Radio. It's LeVar Arrington, Brady Quinn, Jonas Knox in for the guys. Coming off top of next hour, a little over ten minutes from now, we are going to tell you about some conflicting reports on a hot time in the NFL.
Speaker 2: That'll be yours here on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 3: I want to remind you that you can stream this show and all of our Fox Sports Radio shows live. Twenty four to seven In the new and improved iHeart Radio app, just search Fox Sports Radio and the app to streams live. One of the newest features in the app is that you can select Fox Sports Radio is one of your presets, just like the presets on a radio dial. So be sure to preset Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app and it will always pop up at the top of your screen. So we were talking with Albert about the second round picks, and we were talking about some of the other movement potentially in the NFL. What is the best guess you guys have as to how this whole Shamar Stewart fiasco in Cincinnati plays out, Cause I can't figure out why they're in the place they are, especially knowing that it's not like it's an outrageous demand. He's asking for what was done previously by the organization with other draft picks taken in the first round.
Speaker 2: How's this whole thing going to finish up?
Speaker 5: He'll end up joining the team and playing I mean deadlines do deals. We aren't at that point of the summer yet where we're getting close to the start of the season. You know, when there are sixteen games, there's a sense of urgency, right, you had four preseason games, teams would feel a bit more of a sense of urgency as you got into some of those preseason games. Now they don't really value those quite as much, so I think with an additional regular season game. He's a rookie anyway, If there's not more progress made with Trey Hendrickson, you know, maybe there's a little more sense of urgency from the Bengals to concede and go back to the language they used previously. But I think if Shamar Stewart holds strong, which good for him and his agent for doing so for the entirety of the offseason. Bengals fans may be upset with me saying that, but I always look back at fans and say, you do the same thing too, if you're in his shoes, and you're not asking for anything different than guys who are already on the team that have been drafted that same exact position. So this is a Bengals change, and this is something that they're trying to change moving forward, and they're trying to take advantage of Schmoor Stewart and his agent to do so, which, to be quite honest, is unfair. Now I haven't looked through every new contract they've done this offseason. Maybe they're trying to make this language more standard in other capacities, but I would imagine that this seems a bit unfair based on the president they have set in prior years.
Speaker 4: I think it's pretty simple. They get it done. Regardless of what the language ends up being, they're going to settle on something. Again, if you look at it from the standpoint of if he sits out, he's not going to make more money coming back and petitioning to try to be able to play another season in college. If he sits out and doesn't participate, he's not going to make more money. And while he won't get fined, I can't see how he would get fined because he's not an employee officially to the Cincinnati Bengals. He would just be basically like almost in no man's leg no man's land, so to speak, in and what his situation is. So then he's not making any money that way. So I just I think the deal gets done, and I think it's in the best interest of his representation to make sure he gets him the best deal that he can possibly get him while making sure he gets him into training camp and get him active on the team.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine where this organization would be at if they didn't have Joe Burrow, Like just the outlook of the organization, not just from a win standpoint, But you know, I think people forget how bad they were before he got there.
Speaker 4: I think Zach.
Speaker 3: Taylor had won six games in a couple of years, and they've got all these contract disputes. But hey, Cincinnati, baby, that's the way they operate. Nickel and dime all the way.
Speaker 2: Are they the dollar tree of the NFL? Would you say fair enough?
Speaker 6: Dollar tree of dollar general?
Speaker 4: Dang? I mean both of them bad.
Speaker 6: It's bad. They're they're cheaper lee.
Speaker 2: What do you prefer?
Speaker 6: Maybe not bad?
Speaker 4: I mean they're all a dollar dollar tree.