Speaker 1: You are listening to the Miami Dolphins Podcast Network.
Speaker 2: This is Drive Time with Travis Wingfield. Back to throw to a looking clips adult.
Speaker 1: A wide open touchdown, Tyrick cal uncolievable, just blue by for.
Speaker 2: A second time. Don knew where he was going right away.
Speaker 3: I want to hit that man. I'm gonna help you. Someone will keep on your man away Wattle Wadle to a shotgun, back to throw, looking at them.
Speaker 2: Up myers touchdown. It's Waddle his sixth touchdown.
Speaker 3: Pat's a king. Drive Time with Travis Wingfield begins.
Speaker 2: Now let me check your pulse if you're not for.
Speaker 3: What is up? Dolphins? And welcome to the Draft Time podcast, part of the Miami Dolphins Podcast Network, covering your team, your Miami Dolphins. How's it going everybody? I am your host, Travis Wingfield. And on today's show, part two of my interview with Brett call talking about Elijah Higgins, Ryan Hayes, and so much more around this Miami Dolphins football team. What anticipation does for a football player, Mike McDaniel in year two, How the offense can benefit from the second year under Mike McDaniel. So much good content here. Let's go ahead and jump right in from the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex. This is the Draft Time Podcast Maggie Gaffish Fish and once again, let's go ahead and play my interview, part two with the Great Brett Coleman. I'm thrilled to be joined once again for the second consecutive episode here by the Great Brett Coleman. We've already talked about the credentials. We'll do it again here the film Room YouTube channel, the Bootleg Football Podcast, NFL Media Los Angeles Chargers. You see the backdrop there if you're on video of him in a high rise where you're at Brett, You and Los Angeles don't want to give away your location, but man, you've certainly upgraded the digs from last I saw you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right in the middle of downtown LA, which works out well for all the stuff I do in NFL media, which is like.
Speaker 3: Is that way?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: So far? Is not that far?
Speaker 1: And then you know the Chargers. Chargers are actually in multiple spots run southern California. Are you guys coming out to LA this year? I think you are right.
Speaker 3: We play the Chargers in LA. I believe, I believe I think so. I mean, I used to be able to rattle that stuff off, but now like my brain so consume with so many things that I kind of I have to go back and look. But I'm pretty sure, yeah, actually play the AFC West. I'm pretty sure we are in Los Angeles, So maybe we'll come out and see you guys at some point.
Speaker 2: That'd be fun. I'd love that.
Speaker 3: So twenty minutes away, it was that like a mile and a half.
Speaker 1: Away, yeah about about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's pretty bad down here, but I know it's it's it's probably the worst in your neck of the woods. But we're not here to talk about traffic and and grids, grid flows of big cities. I do want to talk about this, Brett, because it's kind of a sticking point for me. Again I mentioned in the last podcast, I want to test some of my theories out on you here. Is that to me, anticipation is the most important trait for a football player. I go back to like Zach Thomas was the best linebacker I've ever seen anticipate and flow to the football. You know, our quarterback we have right now, to a tongue of Bai Lowo really excels in that department. I was a huge fan of the David Long acquisition for that reason, for his ability to anticipate and go, you know, make place before the offensive line has a chance to blink. We talked about Cam Smith. I'm curious your role. Are your thoughts on the role anticipation plays at the quarterback position with Tua, but also the rest of the position groups, the rest of the league, the rest of the game, anticipation of football. What do you think about that?
Speaker 1: I think anticipation is a critical trait for every single position, you know, even non skill positions, even looking at the trenches right, and I think there's pre snap.
Speaker 2: Anticipation in post snap anticipation. There's two very different things. But like specifically at the quarterback position, you can't see.
Speaker 1: It and throw it. In the NFL, you have to throw it before you see it. You have to be able to process defenses and understand, you know, based on the first half second snapshot that you're getting, you know, where's a DB's hips pointing, what technique are they playing? Are they playing high shoulder or low shoulder, and anticipate what that means in terms of space that will open where you should be placing the ball against man, because throwing against man isn't just about Okay, I'm gonna give my guy a shot fifty to fifty, like, you got to place the ball accurately to give him that shot. Are you leading him down the field, are you throwing back shoulder? Are you leaving it inside? And that's where we talk about chemistry, right, and anticipation is fed from chemistry.
Speaker 2: But even on the defensive side of the ball.
Speaker 1: At linebacker, again, you're anticipating what an offense is trying to do pre snap, based on alignment, based on motion. You know, one of the old oldest tricks in the books is you're looking at which line which lineman's knuckles are white, right, to see where they're putting their weight on, because if their weights off their knuckles, that means they might be pulling. Here, you're looking at splits between offensive lineman who's got an extra six inches of space that doesn't that shouldn't be there, right, That's probably where the point of attack is going to because they want to give themselves every advantage in terms of making that poa as wide as possible.
Speaker 2: You're looking at stance, you.
Speaker 1: Know, uh, and there's a there's an example that I pointed out last year and I sent it to my buddy at the Seahawks. I was like, you got to fix Charles Cross here, who was their rookie left tackle, And I was like, he's tipping his sets when he's doing a jump set versus an angle set because his feet are different. And the forty nine ers figured it out in the second half and they ate him alive. I'm like, you got to you gotta fix this kid, like he's tipping his sets. And so there's anticipation on the defensive side of the ball for that type of stuff too. So it's it's a very complex sport, and when you play it for a long time, where you watch it for a long time, you can pick up on little things as simple as the left tackle's foot is four inches different than it was last time, and that is all the difference between completed pass and a sack fumble that ends your season. So yeah, anticipations everything, in addition to you know, running four three and squatting six hundred punds.
Speaker 3: It doesn't hurt at all. And there was a throw last year in the Cleveland game where Denzel Ward played the played it perfectly out and out breaking route too. I think it was Jaylen Waddle where to put it really in the tire swing man like, it was high and away and if he threw any more back inside, it's probably a pick six the other way. And then you drop probably his best past the year on Trent Sherfield for a touchdown on the corner of the end zone just two plays later. So we see that in spades down here with our quarterback position, and you speak about the white knuckles and the stands man like if I learned anything about invincible Mark Wahlberg score a touchdown for the Philadelphia Eagles Vince Papali because of the white knuckles, going back to the two thousand and six people there. But aside from that, you know, it just tracks because you talk about anticipation, love of the game comes to mind. You think about that. I go back to the previous podcast I mentioned Raheem Moster discussing how these you know, superstar players have integrated into the Doll's locker room. It just goes back to this idea of getting the right types of players, the right types of Miami Dolphins, and that to me is high character. It's high football character. If you're going to put that work in for your teammates to make yourself better and make the team better. But what I wanted to get into here with this before we talk about the next two draft picks, is analyzing that level of football character and that level of intelligence. And how how do scouting stats do that they is it primarily based upon conversations with the college coach, the players coaches in college, you know, the recruiting staffs down there. Is it something you see on film like what's the process of uncovering a person with you know, high football intelligence, high football character and a guy that you know puts in the work that way and it shows on tape.
Speaker 1: I mean a big thing in terms of determining you know that that trait pre draft. And we know that the Dolphins probably had extensive meetings with every single guy they drafted, right, because they're not going to draft so much without having a feel for that. The big thing in terms of determining football intelligence, you got to sit there and talk about all of them, right, And even if you know the answer on something of like hey, why did you play it this way? You know, you pull up some film and you ask them what did you see and why did you play it this way? And just see if they can if they can spit out that answer, right, talk about pre snap breads, talk about post snapreeds, techniques, all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: Get what's going through their head.
Speaker 1: And I had a chance to do that extensively over the last couple of years at the Shrine Bowl, because the Shrine Bowl is very gracious and gives media, you know, literally as long as we want to to sit down with all these prospects. And they had seven guys going in the top hundred this year, right, and they had first round pick and say Flowers, we got unlimited time whatever we wanted to to sit down and watch film with them and do interviews and ask them how they saw certain things. And we got a good sense for what they know and how they operate. And there were some guys like Jewe Scrugs. Nobody was talking about Jewe Scrugs, right. He was a center that are converted to a guard that went in the second round. Nobody knew about him, but we did because we got to sit there and talk about how he calls protections, how he looks at certain things pre snap, all the different calls that he uses, how he's executing a reach block against certain defensive line techniques, and we understood, oh my god, this guy knows football. Same thing Ricky Stromberg. He went in the top one fifty to the Commanders. I'm like, this is a top four center in this class and nobody was talking about him.
Speaker 2: He was rankeding like the three hundreds back in January.
Speaker 1: Chandlers of Volat didn't even get a combined invite ended up going to the fourth round because I know the Panthers met with him at the Shrine Bowl too, and they probably asked him all the same questions I did. And we're like, oh my god, this kid's so smart.
Speaker 2: He's a former soccer player, he's got great feet. What am I missing here?
Speaker 1: And then we get to the draft roo We're seeing all these guys going early, early, early, and we're like, Oh, it's because they're smart.
Speaker 2: It's because they know the game and they're pros. Pros that matters.
Speaker 1: And I question teams who quote unquote take reaches a lot less now because I know there's a good chance they probably had a good meeting with that kid and they trust that meeting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was gonna say that's probably a part of where the disconnect comes from from. You talk about reaches, like, what are reaches born from? It's from media coverage, right and consensus, big boards and mock drafts that I suppose reflect a little bit of how the NFL thinks, but not entirely. I mean we see it every single year. And I point to the seat Seahawks, a team that just doesn't give an f what you think about their draft board. They're going to take players that fit what they do. And you know, John Schneider basically set himself up for a decade run with back to back all time great draft classes. Hit a bit of a role there for a couple of years, but now here they are back again with a couple of really good draft classes. And then went from a team that last year, folks myself included, thought was going to be picking top five to a team that qualify for the playoffs and uncovered a quarterback in the process. So really good stuff there with those guys. I want to talk about something else. The Dolphins really kind of checked the box on over draft weekend ten split time. We're gonna talk about that, and Elijah Higgins and Ryan Hayes here on the draft time podcast. My guest today is Brett Coleman. Your host Travis Wingfield. We are brought to you by Auto Nation. We talked about it on the other side of the break there the ten splits, and I keep looking at this and there's a great chart out there. We'll talk about Elijah Higgins in just one second here, Brett, there's a great chart that kind of compares two traits for tight ends that typically produce high level producers at the position, and it has to do with yards after the catch and their ten split, the way they come off the football. But before we talk about Elijah Higgins specifically with that start or that trade, I should say I want to talk about the ten split in general because I'm looking at Dolphins draft classes over the last couple of years and really their roster in general these last two years under Mike McDaniel, who has gone to the podium and spoken to us in the media about how tight end offensive line these are positions that guys kind of have to retrain their brain if you haven't played in this, because they prioritize firing off the football, playing fast, and being less reactionary. I'm curious to get your take on how that works for this Dolphins roster and how the ten split time tracks with that philosophy in that mindset.
Speaker 1: You know, And we talked last episode about how this offense is very space oriented right in terms of how they use speed to create spacing for that speed to operate. And you can't just have one fast guy. You need to have a bunch of fast guys. But I think there's multiple types of fasts. There's guys that have a third gear that can pull away and win late, and there's guys that get up to second gear immediately and can win early. And you know, particularly with Elijah Higgins, I think his ten split was like one five three, like something crazy like that. You know, he's a converted receiver to play tight end. I assume he's not going to play at two thirty five. They'll probably get him up to two forty something. But like with that ten split, that means he can separate early, and in this offense, you kind of have to be able to separate early because, especially in the play action game, you're running all these crossing routes, all that kind of stuff. You got to pull away under two seconds so that you know Tua can hit you right you got to separate early on those. But in addition to that, like if they put him out as a big slot, which they probably will quite frequently, you know, being able to separate quickly on choice routes is a big part of that role. I would also say, as like a seam ripper, right you know, you're hitting up the seam, You've got to have a good ten split so that you can stack on whoever happens to be covering you, Like the linebacker's coming from eight yards deep and he slide into your hip pocket.
Speaker 2: You got to have a good enough burst in acceleration.
Speaker 1: Get up a second gear to get on top of his shoulder so that Tua has space to lead you vertically, and so he's playing behind you and not on you. So in particular, it's less about winning late at the tight end position in this offense, more about winning early. And Elijah Higgins was you know, he would not on my radar specifically for the Dolphins, but as soon as they took him, I was like, oh, oh.
Speaker 2: I get it, I really get it right.
Speaker 1: Like I think they see him as like their own kind of Evan Ingram type, and this it makes a lot of sense to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I plugged on the tape because, like you said, I wasn't familiar with this game at all. You know the great shock quote. I wasn't familiar with your game, young man, but now I respect it now that I am. The first rep that I saw was him chewing up off coverage against Arizona State, and it like the ten split. Oh that's a what's what? A one to five to three ten split? Looks like he just chewed up eight yards before the quarterback even hit, like the second step of his drop. So I can I can understand where they're coming from with this, and there's I have so many questions about this for you, Brett. Well, I guess I'll just talk about this first because you know you mentioned, you know, big slot, seam ripper potential, in line attached option. I keep looking at this offense. You go back to devon a Chain as a guy that can play running back, can flex out into the slot and you know, play some some split end for you whatever the case may be. Like, I know defenses have done this more in recent history, but are we on the verge of watching offenses? Obviously not quarterback in offensive line, but offense has become more positionless. Does that make sense?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I mean they did the same thing with Tanner Connor last year. Not great.
Speaker 1: I loved him coming out of Idaho, and he was another converted receiver with like legit track speed that they made into a tight end. And it's like the same profile, right, you know what's better than having one of those having two of them. But you got Durham who's probably gonna play the wise spot. Then you got all these guys that are you know, hybrid receiver tight ends, and you got Ingold, and you got all the running backs, and you have all these guys that can play four different alignments for you. And whether it's slot out wide in the backfield as an h back, I mean, Higgins and Connor are fast enough you could probably just if a chain's out there, you put a chanin in slot.
Speaker 2: You put one of those guys in the backfield and give him a carry. Why not? Right? They both run like four four four five.
Speaker 1: So it's all these moving chess pieces that make it really tough for a defense to figure out how do we match up with it? Because every single defensive call is going to have rules to it, you know, particularly with like match zones, which is the most common call you're going to see, is like some sort of match zone coverage, right, And how that functions is they don't match up to specific players or specific positions.
Speaker 2: They match up to alignment.
Speaker 1: And so it's like, if number two is vertical, meaning you know, going more than ten yards down the field, number two is your job if you're the safety in quarters, right, But they don't account for it.
Speaker 2: Is that number two tyreek hill or is it a tight end? You know?
Speaker 1: And it's like if number three is running under, that's the linebacker's responsibility. And it's like, well, what if that's a tight end that runs four to four? Like it's it's not it's not a system that allows for or it's not a philosophy that I would say that allows for getting clean matchups all the time, because it's more about simplicity of execution and just trusting that guys can count one, two, three and then execute.
Speaker 2: The role right. And that's where coach McDaniel thrives is because he knows that he knows that it's all rules based and that it's less flexible in favor of simplicity and speed of execution. And so if he can use all this motion that he uses to all of a sudden force a bad matchup. That's where he wins.
Speaker 1: And so that's why he's getting all these guys that he can motion around and put into different spots to force those bad matchups.
Speaker 2: On defense, I keep.
Speaker 3: Thinking about last year. There's several examples of Tyreek, you know, from a condense split working off of a bunch where they get a natural pick and a rub and he's running a wheel route where he's got the dB stacked within five yards and two who just has a simple little flip route or flip throw that he's so adept at making those little touch passes. So it's it's an embarrassment of and it makes me, you know, not envy defensive coordinators because how do you know when a team goes into the huddle with that type of offensive firepower? Like what personnel package am I calling out? Is that twelve or is that like you know, is that personnel? Like you can be anything because of the flexibility of these types of players. And I think Elijah Higgins, you know, if he develops into what you hope he can be, is one of those types of players. Let's go ahead and finish up this segment talking about Higgins a little more and just in general what he offers, because we talk about the ten split, the position flexibility. You know, you talked about maybe putting some weight on the guy. He has the frame to do it, because when I watched him play Brett, you know, the contested catch rate that he had, it wasn't you know, there wasn't a big sample size, but to me, it didn't match the physical skills that he offers because I looked at the guy that had superb core strength, very strong in his upper body, Like when guys tried to reroute him, he just kind of like knocked him off, knocked them off their post and made them look silly, and he just wins with body positioning and really good route running. I'm curious to get your perspective on just him, him in general in terms of how the traits that he offers and what makes him attractive player From that standpoint.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think the red zone ability is key, right because they had to replace Mike, which is hard to do because he's Mike, you know, but getting another athletic tight end that can kind of go post people up in the red zone is crucial for them.
Speaker 2: They needed that because their receiving corps.
Speaker 1: I mean, they got Azukama last year, who has a big fan of for this role. But like the receiving core in terms of their starters, is not the tallest group of guys, right, So they got to get size and jump all ability somewhere else, and that's going to be at the tight end position. That being said, what really intrigued me about Elijah is he's actually a lot better after the catch than people give him credit for in terms of tackle breaking ability, short eary quickness.
Speaker 2: The ten split obviously shows up.
Speaker 1: Once he gets an angle on somebody, he can run away from him. I'm curious to see how involved they get him in the screen game as a receiver, because he does that well. And I think that if in particular with this offense they kind of use the screen game sometimes it's just a supplement to the run game. You know, if they don't get a good box count, they just have a tag for a screen on the backside to a variety of different players and they're like, hey, we got even numbers out there, let's just treat that as a run play. That's fifteen yards that direction and I think Higgins having the ability to get involved in that. I'm not saying he needs to break home runs, but if you can consistently get five or six yards on a screen to him to set up third and three instead of third and five, that's going to be a valuable thing, even if that's where he gets a lot of his early catches. Now, you mentioned the positionless offense and moving guys around. A thought occurred to me while you said that, because last episode we talked about how they're like seven guys deep at dB. They did that to beat offenses that are being constructed like Miami's. So in terms of it was like, oh, how does defensive coordinator stop this?
Speaker 2: Look at what Vick's doing. Draft more dbs. That's what you gotta do.
Speaker 3: It makes perfect sense. And yeah, you talk about the depth of this year position like I'm just thinking like, okay, well now we're down to receiver six seven eight in practice, like on offense, they're going to go up against cornerbacks six, seven and eight. Those are good matchups too that some teams would love to have as their two, three, four. So it's an embarrassment of riches. Are those key positions? I think at least on paper right now. We'll see how it plays out this season. We have one more draft pick and that gives us one more position group to look at, offensive line, Ryan Hayes. That'll be next here on the Draft Time Podcast. My guest today of Brett Coleman, your host Travis Wingfield. We're brought to you by Auto Nation. We are into the seventh round. Brett took us an hour to get through four draft picks in our Dolphins discussion. By doing that, once again, appreciate all your time you gave us here on the podcast today. Let's talk about Ryan Hayes a little bit here and we'll get into the Dolphins offensive line as well for just a few minutes here. But Ryan Hayes is a guy that you mentioned as a player that you liked a lot, potential guard conversion. I know, he really really excels in the running game, played a lot of left tackles. I'm right tackle there at Michigan. Let's just go ahead and hear you know your takeaway from Ryan Hey is the guy that you sound like you like, sound like you like quite a bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, we're talking about movement skills here. I think he could play tackle right. You know, he's sixty six, three hundred pounds, a little bit lacking in the length department, thirty two and a half inch arms. I don't necessarily think that's a killer right, Like you can play tackle with quote unquote shorter arms. Still got longer arms than me a lot right, and longer arms than most people. Some teams have thresholds of like you can't play tackle unless you've got thirty four inch arms.
Speaker 2: I don't think the Dolphins particularly subscribed to that. It's more so do you have good hands or not?
Speaker 1: My thing is I think in terms of getting him on the field, I think it's more likely that they get him on the field on this team at guard than at tackle, considering the other guys they have in this offensive line. So if it's about getting best five on the field, I think that might be his easiest path. In terms of short area movements skills, again we talk about ten splits. A one seven two is phenomenal. That's a ninety fourth percentile. His three cone at seven three nine is ninety fifth percentile. So he's a really smooth, quick mover again, which matters a lot as a guard in this system. Sometimes he's gonna be asked to reach a four eye by himself, and.
Speaker 2: You've gotta have good feet and hips to do that, and he can do that.
Speaker 1: I do want him to add about ten pounds, which he probably will, you know, especially with the food seat in Miami, it's pretty hard. It's pretty hard not to. But I don't think that's gonna be a problem for him. If he gets up to six six, like three point thirteen, with his movement skills, he could potentially be a very high upside guard. I can't remember what round they drafted in my nose on Day three, but I really love him as a swing guard, as a rookie that could potentially start for them. I don't think they will need him to play tackle. He could if they needed it, but I think his best path forward is guard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, is seventh round draft. By the way, I was going to actually lead in with that, because it sounds like a great spot to take a flyer on a guy that late in the draft that has the type of upside that you mentioned, if it's just a couple of things like putting on some weight and maybe getting some more seasoning and pass pro. And I was going back over the Senior Bowl tape because you know, he was there in Mobile for the Senior Bowl. And one thing I noted Brett was how much he grew throughout the week in pass protection because that group of edge guys down there and Mobile was really good and there was lots of bull rushes. We talked about being three hundred pounds, some guys that dropped the you know, crown of their helmet into his chest plate and got some movement that way. I thought he did a good job throughout the week of finding a better anchor finding a better way to deal with bull rushes. Did you see the same thing from him in terms of the growth at the Senior Bowl?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that was one of the big things.
Speaker 1: I was like, you got to add a little bit more sand in the pants, right and you know a little bit more core strength, because man, if you think that will McDonald's tough, uh wait until you wait until you see Jail and Phillips in practice.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: So I think that's gonna be key for him. Is and I'm not talking like adding weight. I'm talking at a good weight. There's two very different things there. He can do that. He can absolutely do that, but that is that is a concern, and he's six to six, so he's got to higher. He's got a tougher job getting underpad levels. You know, when you're six six, you got to dip and bend a little bit more than the guards who are six four.
Speaker 2: So it will be an adjustment, it will be a learning curve.
Speaker 1: I would also say one of the toughest things in terms of going from tackle to guard that some kids go through is if you're used to working with a runway and all of a sudden you kick inside and you don't have a runway anymore. And especially in practice, if Christian Wilkins is on you immediately and you're used to having three yards of space to kind of you know, read a long arm and snatch it down and all that kind of stuff, and all of a sudden you go into Oh it's a quarter second, he's in my chest.
Speaker 2: Learning the new timing and distance management can be a struggle.
Speaker 1: But as a seventh round pick, I think that they are seeing him more as a developmental guy, a future contributor, more so than somebody who has to start week one. So he will have time to learn all that stuff. But he's such a good athlete right that I think it's worth the gamble and worth the investment, and I think he will make the roster.
Speaker 2: I truly do. I'd be curious to see how long it takes him to get on the field as a starter.
Speaker 3: It's been nice to see the Dolphins kind of make this transition to a team that typically kind of had the draft in years pass for specific needs, but now they're kind of in that luxury, luxurious position of we can draft for not just this year, but two years down the road. They even talked about that with Eric Azuokama and Chang Tendall at a recent press conference. At the thought with those guys was they were more of a two year projection than immedia impact guys, and we kind of saw it play out that way last year. I have one more question Brett before he closed things up here, just on the offensive line in general, because that's a position group that you're gonna see fans talk about all off season, like, what about the offensive line? We know that we had three really good productive players, two guys that were high draft picks but just had injury issues last year before they could really kind of take off. And I thought Leam Mikenberg played best balls. The year went along prior to the injury, and we saw Austin Jackson just couldn't get on the field. He had a couple of injuries that really I thought robbed him of a very important developmental season here and you're number three. But I'm curious about how this offense because again, like I said, when you go to any preseason, you know preview, you're gonna see people talk about the Dolphins offensive line. But I'm wondering, because you know, Tua, when he's in the game, the sack rate for the Dolphins drops substantially. So I'm curious how this offense designs ways to where even if let's say it didn't work out at a couple of positions on the offensive line, even if that was the case, this offense still has ways to kind of mask that and still excel and you know, play six best offense in NFL.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, And I think there's kind of a misconception with the Dolphins offensive line where everybody's everybody doesn't focus on the right things. They don't they don't focus on what coach mcthaniel focuses on, which is do you execute your assignment, do you run block really will Can we trust you on first and second down in order to get to a third down that is short enough that you're not going to be exposed in pass pro anyway? You know, I can't count that many reps last year in the Dolphins offense with how it was structured, where it was a straight up from the shotgun. We're dropping ten yards deep waiting for you know, three seconds for.
Speaker 2: A long developing route concept to develop down the field. They don't do that, and it's for a reason, right, because why would you. They would rather live in the.
Speaker 1: RPO world, the play action world, you know, you know, forcing defensive lines to slow up because they're not sure if it's run or pass. They're freezing themselves because they're reading keys, and they got all these guys that run for three running in all these different directions.
Speaker 2: They don't know what's going on. They're always cognizant of the screen game. They're always cognizant of the run game.
Speaker 1: And I think that an offensive line in that type of system, they're not doing that many like traditional drop back pass pro reps. So you don't need guys who are absolute killers in that part. You would love to have them, but what they prioritize is can you run block, can you pick up stunts? And can you get us to third and three instead of third and seven. That's what that offensive line does well. And in the first third of the season, when everybody was all healthy and click on all cylinders.
Speaker 2: That's what they did.
Speaker 1: Nobody complained about passbro Nobody complained about it. They weren't taking sacks. They were fine, you know, And so I think that's that's kind of what they're looking at here, is like, let's get guys that can do that. If they can also pass pro on third and nine because we got a seven step drop, Well they don't do that five step drop, fine, great, but they're not going to play for us unless they can do.
Speaker 2: The other things first. And that's what they really prioritize.
Speaker 3: That's why I wanted to have you on because you just have a level of nuance that were not used to, you know, really discussing and main social circles when it comes to this game. That's so you know, s soteric and require such nuance. So I appreciate that, Brett. And on top of the fact that you mentioned there wasn't a lot of them last year, but Miami was pretty damn good in third and long last year, that Detroit game was a clinic on third and eight conversions and third and eight explosive place from two to tyreek, from two to Jalen. It's a pretty good combination to have there.
Speaker 2: And you know why.
Speaker 1: You know why because they get the ball out under two and a half seconds and they're so good after the catch anyway, they're not letting it go at.
Speaker 2: Four seconds into the play. This is not that.
Speaker 1: This is not the Chiefs offense where Mahomes is running for his life and he's got to make something happen. You know, Well, after the play clock is going like they get the ball out quick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it works as well, I mean exactly, it does work. That's why. That's why I like it always kind of was a crawl on the side of my you know, in my side, because like I just like, what are we complaining about here? It's been effective all year, Lungs. Let's just go back and doing that and hopefully they pick up where they left off.
Speaker 2: Brett.
Speaker 3: Every time you guys do the team previews, you give us a window of record, and I'm not gonna tell you have to do it right now. But I'm curious if you do have a potential window here as we record this podcast on May the third, what would you say the Dolphins window for win total is this year? Oh okay, you'll have an answer if don't want to cut it out.
Speaker 1: It's really tough because again, a lot of it depends on health. Right if everybody's staying healthy, We're getting seventeen games from Tua and Tyreek and Jalen are on the field, and you know, both Jalens.
Speaker 2: Are on the field.
Speaker 3: All the Jalens are.
Speaker 2: On the field.
Speaker 1: I think they split with Buffalo. I think they split with the Jets. They probably split with the Patriots because this is a tough division AFC West. I think they go two and two, so that's five wins right there. I can't remember who else they play, but those are probably the two toughest assignments are their own division and the AFC West. At worst, and this is if everything goes off the Rails eight wins at best, thirteen wins. It's a huge range, entirely dependent on health. But like worst case scenario, eight win team that would be fighting for wild card the entire year.
Speaker 2: Best case, it's the number one Seedeese.
Speaker 3: Man, I've not heard a person whose opinion I respect that to this level give us that type of win projection in a long time. So that's cool. That's why I wanted to ask you, Brett. You said it all, Man, I talked about your credentials in the previous podcast, but I want to go ahead and let you give us one hundred percent accuracy on where people can find you, what you're working on, promote your stuff. Man, let us know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, we just got through draft season over on bootleg, and so now we're starting to work and plan out the off season series. So if you want to, you know, get our plus long commentary on the Dolphins offseason and you know what their systems look like and what the Fangio defense is going to look like.
Speaker 2: Obviously we're going to have.
Speaker 1: That episode, but we have forty two total episodes covering every single team, plus division specific episodes, plus two pre season episodes, so that's gonna be a lot if you want to learn about every other team in the NFL over summer. I think we start to launch that in like June or so. In the meantime, Coach Vas, you know, Miami Boy, himself. You know, he went to Miami, still lives in Florida, uh and is kind of my mentor when it comes to learning defensive football.
Speaker 2: He's coming on my channel.
Speaker 1: Uh, and we're going to be doing kind of a deep dive into the Vic Fangio system and what it means for really everybody, for this Dolphins unit in terms of how they deploy certain certain types, certain body types, certain skill sets, you know, coverages that they love, things that Dolphins fans are going to be seeing a lot next year.
Speaker 2: Again, we're not we're not in the business of giving away state secrets.
Speaker 1: It's more so we want to prepare Dolphins fans for the style they're about to see because it's a lot different than what they've had previously. So that should be coming out probably in June as well. So yeah, surprising amount of Dolphins content coming from me this summer.
Speaker 3: And in the month where football kind of takes a break too. So you guys really hit your stride in those kind of dead periods there, And that's why I wanted to have you promote it here because people will listen to this podcast. No, that's what we talk about here. So you're the perfect person to come on and talk Dolphins to us, but also promote your work here because I have a feeling you gets some new fans out of this that are really intrigued by what you talked about, especially on this episode two episodes, Brett, you gave me more than an hour, man, Thank you so much for your time faces here, thank you for having me, and off he goes, how much fun was that? Seventy minutes there total between the two podcasts of just really really smart football conversation with someone whose opinion I could not respect any more than the great Brett Coleman. So once again, a big thank you to him for doing that. You don't pay people to do your podcast, so he took an hour of his day, his very busy day, to do that with us and get us all kind of term of the Miami Dolphins. So please go repay him by checking out his YouTube channel, checking out his social media the Summer Preview series those guys do He and e J. Snyder, who you've heard in the podcast here a few times as well. It's the best content there is. I stand by that statement. If you want to learn the NFL bootleg Football with bretton EJ is the best way to do that. All right, let's go ahead and get out of here. We'll come back on the Wednesday podcast. We have some media availabilities, We've got schedule release later on this week. We're gonna drop that podcast to write at eight o'clock on Thursday night. Tons of fun stuff coming your way. OTA's down the pipeline here as well. I'm fired up, man. I can't wait to see this all play out here for this Dolphins team this season. I think it's gonna be a very very fun season. As you heard there with Brett, thirteen wins is about what I'm thinking as well. So we'll look forward to that here in the coming months. In the meantime, that's gonna be my time. You all, please be sure to subscribe to the podcast on Apple Podcasts. Leave us a rating, leave us a review. You can follow me on Twitter at Wingfold NFL. Follow the team at Miami Dolphins. Check out the fish Tank Podcast with Seth and Juice. Go over to our YouTube channel for fish Tank content, Drive Time Content, Dolphins Today, media availabilities, and much much more, and last but not least, Miami Dolphins dot Com. Until next time, fins up, Carol Anam Cameron, Daddy, he's coming ho