Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio news, Bloomberg Money.
Speaker 2: This is the Bloomberg Money Podcast. I'm Tom Keene with Scarlet Foo. Join us each week for a smart look if the forces shaping your financial life. On personal finance, on retirement and wealth management. We will explore how people are earning, investing, and building wealth. We are live Fridays at noon Eastern on Bloomberg Television. Subscribe to the podcast wherever you listen, and is always on the Bloomberg Terminal and the Bloomberg Business app. Niki Waller joins us, driving all of our personal finance coverage. It seems like every day there's a germane story out there, really to lean into. David Gera Bloomber this weekend program note Tom Keene will appear with David Gera on Sunday. I'm coming on Sunday Jackson Hall previow its two much Oh my God, my people located about an hour ago and joining us. We are thrilled to bring you. Sarah Fryar driving so much of our technology cover. She changed the dialogue on social media a few years ago. She figured out Instagram before anybody else. Her book just hugely, hugely successful. If you wrote your book today, how would it be different?
Speaker 3: Well, so much is changing about the way we consume information. I feel like the biggest change for all of us is that it's become a more passive experience. That when we look at our devices and we go on we may not have an idea of what we want to find, We're being told what we should find. The critical thinking is out of those.
Speaker 2: Okay, I feel that way every day. But on no filter AI is our new filter, right it is.
Speaker 3: It's making decisions for us on what we should care about, how we should think about it, and that takes away the decision making on our parts about what we want to know why we walk walked into using our phones in the first place. So I think that that's that's the moment we're in where we need to really think about what we're trying to accomplish when we use our technology.
Speaker 4: And probably if I.
Speaker 2: Tried to ban social media in France.
Speaker 5: Can you do that?
Speaker 2: Though?
Speaker 3: Does that the judge is the court? What are kids going to do? Social media's bands are going to talk to their chatbots? They getting outside or they could hang out, they could hang.
Speaker 2: Conversation, make a note? Can I pencil you in for a conversation Wednesday exactly what it is.
Speaker 5: Well, let's stick with this tech team a little bit here, David Gurra, because technology is coming up as a issue in the internal elections, data centers comes up a lot, and it seems like voters hate data centers, whether you're on the left or the right, and the politicians, the elected officials are picking up on that as we had towards them.
Speaker 6: Fascinating toe by Michael Hart last week from Bank of America. He of course coined the Magnificent seven moniker, but he wrote about the prospects for there being a longer lasting bubble depending on how the election results in Texas turn out.
Speaker 7: So Greg Abbott, of course very pro data centers.
Speaker 6: We've seen a lot of them crop up more in the works in Texas, Michael Hart and his team saying were he to be elected, that would extend the life of the cycle that we're in right now. But you're absolutely right. This is something I think is galbinizing a lot of people. The prospects of these things being in their backyards is something that's.
Speaker 5: Really agitating, right because these data centers supposedly bring about higher utility bills, water bills, electricity bills. They're noisy. Maybe they cause cancer.
Speaker 7: Not a lot of jobs after the initial construction of.
Speaker 2: It are saying they caused cancer. No.
Speaker 5: No, but there's a lot of talk on social media, and I mean, I don't know if it's true or not, but this is kind of the conversation. David, just stay with the midterms for a minute, because there's been some primaries, and I wonder what the takeaway is because you have Donald Trump's Republicans versus what feels like increasingly unmored Democrats.
Speaker 6: Yeah, although I think that the Democratic Party's ind of coalescing here, there's a little bit of adject at the beginning here, is there going to be this split within the Democratic Party. I think that that narrative has kind of fallen to the wayside a little bit. But I'm watching President Trump making his way to South Carolina's a data campaign for the late Lindsay Graham City, and there's going to be a parade of other kind of Republican dignitaries with him. I now think that the folk now, the split that I'm looking at is within the Republican Party. Those who have sided with President Trump off at their own peril not having to make the case for his policies when.
Speaker 7: It seems like there reasons a whole lot there on.
Speaker 2: Twenty seconds, I got to get to ms Waller twenty seconds. Does the far left want America to create wealth?
Speaker 6: Yes, I think, but once that wealth's be more widely shared. And so I think, Look, the economy is doing relatively well by many measures, but the way that it's distributed something that I think that they care.
Speaker 2: Kay, and we're going back to normal Bloomberg coverage that the thirty year bond is coming up. My god, Nikki, what does this new vest in yield mean for our personal finance? There's got to be a seismic shift this week.
Speaker 8: Well, you know, I think bonds used to be pretty drama free, and then a game board is changing for investors right now. I think one way to simplify and think about it is, if you need money, it is going to be more expensive to get that money. If you have money, there are a lot more interesting places you might be able to put it.
Speaker 5: Oh, that's a really good way of putting in. What I find fascinating too, is that it's one thing for Bloomberg to fixate on the Treasury marketing. But you have CNN and you have other mainstream publications now featuring the thirty year bond yield on their screens. Right now, people are talking about it in a way that feels like it's alarming. I don't know if that's necessarily the case, given that the thirty year bond year yield has been at two thousand and seven levels for a couple of weeks now, but it's entering the conversation in a new way.
Speaker 4: That's absolutely right.
Speaker 8: This week, it feels like something has boiled over, and even if things do calm down next week, I think we're in for a longer period of uncertainty, which is the theme we come to over and over again with politics, with tech and everything.
Speaker 2: One of our introns just brought this, so let's bring it up right now. This is either the expense at the girl household in camp this summer or the US that pluck did you get out the thirty nine trillion point nine day period.
Speaker 6: If we're not there yet, that the compounding facet of having so many camp payments to make is getting us somewhere near.
Speaker 7: Although it looks better and red, I think when I look at it.
Speaker 2: We've been through this fourteen times, the three of you as well. The fact is, fiscal policy doesn't matter in the voting booth, does it.
Speaker 6: I think that people are getting more and more concerned about it. I think that the follow on is the thing that we haven't seen yet. So we've had Republicans Democrats talk about the fiscal situation, as you say, for many cycles here, but there's no coherent plan for what to do with it. I think that's what we're seeing, kind of manifest How are you going to.
Speaker 2: Post this next week with your team of four hundred.
Speaker 5: He's out.
Speaker 8: We'll just be there scriveting me and you Tom. But you know, I think to your point, one of the interesting things is that the Trump administration is Tate with Lake, with best AND's moves, is taking steps to try to bring down costs for people, whether it's borrowing costs for mortgages, and the market is pushing them right back.
Speaker 2: I got to get this in. We celebrate Sarah Fryar coming back to the East Coast as well. Are you the last person leaving California? This billionaires? I come on, you know all these fancy people, are they really all going to go.
Speaker 3: You know, the core of the tech industry is still there. See a lot of people try to make Miami happen, try to make you know, Austin happen. They all they all come back at some point to California. The reason I'm here, though, is because you know, sort of a kind to what you all are talking about, the tech story and how it's intertwined with the economy, how it's intertwined with politics and the future of the whole system. A lot of it has to be a conversation among all of us here at Bloomberg, and it's really I think part of why people are so against data centers is because they're seeing the stock market and they're seeing the wealth creation and they're not feeling it. They're they're seeing data centers as the symbol of how tech companies are spending billions and how it's not coming into their pocket instead it's driving their bills up. It's it's you know, even just like memory chips, for instance, are are harder to get, so their phones are more expensive. This this is all playing into the anxiety we're seeing around the midterms.
Speaker 2: This has been wonderful, NICKI thank you so much greatly appreciated. Sarah thrilled that you're back where there's mister garralse you Sunday hours tonight with Tony Crescenzo. There will be bagels to Global wall Street Anthony Cassenzi on Bloomberg this weekend is really really something. He's truly a giant of the fixed income market. And I believe Nicky Waller will tender. You know, there's you know, we're deal.
Speaker 7: We're gonna talk to her people after this.
Speaker 2: We'll see as well coming up. This is an important conversation. Rebecca Patterson for years driving wealth management at Best mar Trost. Of course you know her from Bridgewater. Rebecca Patterson on the trum oil in the markets and your long term plan from New York City. Bloomberg Money.
Speaker 5: That was a good.
Speaker 2: Surprise, good Friday afternoon, Bloomberg Money, Scarlet Fu and time. Thank you so much for being with us. Let's get right to at Kevin Gordon with us later. But now, Rebecca Patterson, the fancy title writing daily, great work with Sebastian Melodies, senior fellow it accounts on foreign relations. I don't care because it's Bloomberg Money. Wonderful to have you here long ago and far away at Bessemer Trust. I came in and I said, wonderful pontification to wealth management people. If you were at Bessemer Trust today, how do you handle this bond market?
Speaker 1: You know I would have been nervous about bonds for some time. I wrote an op ed in The New York Times in January last year expressing some concern about longer term bonds because the policies we were good at getting. We're going to increase the deficit, increase growth, which is a good thing, but push up inflation there for a likely higher rate. So this isn't a surprise that's happening. I think the surprise this week is now we have volatility in those rates thanks.
Speaker 4: To the Treasury.
Speaker 1: So I would prefer to be in cash or short term fixed income and other types of diversifiers.
Speaker 4: Dare I say it? Gold?
Speaker 2: Here's the canard of the business folks. Bring up the chart please. This is for Rebecca Patterson. Wall Street and Rebecca Patterson talk differently than mere mortals. If you own the TLTs out twenty years plus, like a lot of retail does, picking up that yield, it's priced down from COVID. It has been a crater of yield up, price down in your world? What's long term seven year duration? Not twenty year when you're looking at retirement and wealth management.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think even shorter duration money markets right now. So the yield pickup you have by owning a longer term bond right now, yes, you get something for it, but is it worth the risk, and right now I haven't thought it is. What I would say, though, is for retail investors, if you lose money when rates going up, it does depend on how fast the rates go up, and it depends what the yield is. So if I'm getting a high yield, say the thirty year it's five point two four percent, and the yields continue higher but very slowly, I lose money as the price is fall in the yields go up, but I'm making money on that coupon, So it depends how quickly this move happens.
Speaker 2: They get the envelope at home, I'm sorry to get the envelope at home and one hundred thousand has become ninety seven thousand, thirty eight dollars, and then for your wealth management the next month, it's ninety five thousand, eight hundred wall Street rationalizes in the Bloomberg money world, folks, you're looking to yield up price down right.
Speaker 5: The rate of change is what you're saying. You're correct, it's not correct. But if we look at the volatility in the bomb market, and you can see it certainly this week, yes, does it feel like the usbl market is increasingly looking like aped developing market as opposed to a developed.
Speaker 4: Market a little bit?
Speaker 5: Yes. If I wanted this kind of volatility, I'd go and invest in another countries bonds, not the US.
Speaker 1: Well, the irony today is that a number of emerging market financial markets have done better than the US market in stocks and bonds this year. And some of that is fundamentals and some of it is just point in time and what those economies are doing. If I'm Korea or Taiwan and I'm doing a lot of ai that's obviously helped me. If I'm another country and I'm doing a lot of commodity exports, maybe that would have helped me.
Speaker 4: But I hear you.
Speaker 1: The point is that with our debt to GDP in the United States running around one hundred percent, employees to go towards one hundred and twenty over the next decade, and questions around who's buying the bonds and what yield they need to buy them.
Speaker 4: It makes things a little more tenuous.
Speaker 5: You say, we need to watch the US dollar because it'll suffer if the US Treasury under Scott that's it and can bring down yields. If you're an American living abroad, you certainly feel the effects of the dollar's strength and weaknesses all the sways. Yep, And I feel affected if I'm traveling abroad, but not if I'm sitting here in New York for weeks on end.
Speaker 1: Right, If you're an American, you live in dollars, you get paid in dollars, you spend dollars. The only way you're going to feel that exchange rate movement is what it does to inflation and what it does to financial conditions. And what I mean by that is when you have a weeker dollar. Basically, it tends to push up inflation in the US, and at the margin that might make it more likely that the Federal Reserve thinks it needs.
Speaker 4: To raise interest rates.
Speaker 1: H I'm more in kind of the range camp right now, So I don't think the dollar's about to fall off a cliff.
Speaker 2: Just brought up the girl Camp bill for this summer. Let's bring it up again. I was a mistake as a Bloomberg money correction. The folks, this is the US debt clock. Yeah, hopping out of forty trillion dollars. You and I were weaned on Paul Sungas, Sam Nunn, Pete Peterson and the rest. Every year, cry wolf, cry wolf, cry wolf. In my retirement, in my wealth management study, is a time to stop cry wolf.
Speaker 1: There's two things that are different today. One is simply the size of the debt and the fact that well, so that's one thing. The second thing is that neither the public nor the politicians are willing to turn the corner on fiscal policy. Americans since two thousand and eight have been conditioned to think the government's going to come to their rescue anytime there's a problem, and politicians trying to hold onto their seats. Fiscal austerity doesn't get you reelected, and so it's just been the self fulfilling thing where every government, both parties, keep increasing that deficit, which pushes up that debt clock.
Speaker 4: So something has to give.
Speaker 1: We need politicians to be honest with voters and say we need to have fiscal austerity, and we need voters to accept that to have a stronger financial market and economy.
Speaker 4: There is a price.
Speaker 5: So when you say something has to give, what does that look like and how will people feel it?
Speaker 1: Well, if it is fiscal austerity, more spending cuts which are harder to do, or tax hikes, and we'll see who pays those t hikes, that's a question mark. If it's not that, and politically that's not likely anytime soon, then we have to get something else happening. And my fear, and I'm not calling for a crisis, but my fear is this happens in an ugly way that forces the austerity, and that could come from a few things.
Speaker 4: It could come here at home.
Speaker 1: Let's say there's a catalyst that pulls down sentiment towards artificial intelligence AI stocks. It's not just an AI stock trade anymore, it's AI stocks, AI debt. Everything comes to stock market, the entire corporate bottom and globally now right, AI is in a lot of different markets. So that's one risk. I think a second risk is if inflation sticky, the FED has to raise rates higher than expected.
Speaker 4: That could be another catalyst. And don't forget overseas.
Speaker 1: You might be spending and living in dollars, but if France has a debt crisis, we will have contagion here in the US.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, I didn't research just the interns of all going back to school? Are you on to task force?
Speaker 4: Are you one of the FED task force?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 4: One of Warsh's task forces.
Speaker 2: Luck to you, you're not at What would you do on a retirement task force? Right now?
Speaker 4: What would be goal retirement task?
Speaker 2: For Social Security tax force?
Speaker 4: For Social Security task force?
Speaker 1: We have to raise the age where you start getting benefits from social Security?
Speaker 5: People live one.
Speaker 2: Hundred percent agree? We also the rich people have to put.
Speaker 1: In more, and we could do some means testing. I don't mind contributing to social Security. I shouldn't get any I'll live fine without it. I would rather have my money going to help people who need it more, and therefore we don't have a financial crisis.
Speaker 2: That's sure, that's a popular opinion.
Speaker 5: I want to get a sense of your personal investment approach. How do you do things? Are you kind of a set it and forget it person? Or are you constantly making changes based on conditions.
Speaker 1: I'm not a trader, and when I say that, I mean people who like to figure out what to buy and sell daily or even hourly. I'm an investor, so I'm saying, what are my retirement goals, what money do I need along the way for kids' weddings, down payments for homes, et cetera, and then figuring out my assid allocation. Partly because I've been living in this world for thirty years, I'm comfortable making some tactical tilts in my portfolio along the way, whether I'm leaning a little harder int equities or out, or towards a certain country or a sector. But I'd say those are at the margin because I think for most people, they get emotional. They think they need to time it. Oh my gosh, the market's frothy, there's a bubble. I want to get out. It's really unusual that people can time getting out and then back in. Well, so you'll time it twice. You're better off. Just figure out what makes sense for you personally and then let it go.
Speaker 5: Is there anything that's off limits to you when you look at all the possible investments out there?
Speaker 1: I am agnostic about crypto. If other people want to trade it, God bless it's not for me. I don't like that you can't determine a fair value. I don't like that there are so many idiosyncratic drivers around it. However, I will fully admit if you bought it in twenty twelve and held it to today, you'd be extremely happy.
Speaker 5: Rebecca, such a pleasure to have you here. Thank you so much. Thanks, Rebecca Patterson, Senior Fellow at the Council on Form our Relations formerly with Bessemer Trust.
Speaker 4: Coming up on Bloomberg Money.
Speaker 5: We continue our conversation with Kevin Gordon, head of macro Research and Strategy at Charles Schwab, to discuss how rising oil prices and bond market swings are hitting your savings. This is Bloomberg Money Investments Vacation, Gordon's trooper. Bloomberg Money is your new destination for personal finance. It's a cross platform effort that extends beyond your television screen, including our new digital hub at Bloomberg dot Com, Slash Money and tom This story really got my attention. You know about gap years. Yes, well, you know we both have firsthand experience with this. But for a certain cohort of families, there's a ninety five thousand dollars gap year part people. It is a rich people story and include bungee jumping, your Victoria falls in Southern Africa, visiting a Brazil bank, coding an app Bloomberg. Sarah Foster wrote about this for The Money Team and she joins us, now, this is more than just getting some experience and you know, maturing into your college experience, isn't it.
Speaker 4: It used to be this.
Speaker 9: Perception that gap years were kind of this like lase a fair, I'm going to follow around fish maybe generation before that, the grateful Dead.
Speaker 4: Maybe I'll work on a ranch.
Speaker 9: Now it seems like parents are really using these highly facilitated, tightly scheduled gap years to make sure they're exposing their children to people that they might be able to get help from when they start to graduate and look for a job. I heard from some parents here who actually they kind of attribute the value of someone found an internship through a connection that he made while meeting someone on one of these gap year programs. So it's like those qualitative, kind of career focused, you know, goals that it's a lot of.
Speaker 5: People have your resume before you even start college so that when you get to college, you can focus on the extracurricular activities that gets you the work to get the job. It's true.
Speaker 9: I was also speaking with another gap year student who did a semester long program and then he paired it with an internship that pushed back his graduation date. He was saying that he was doing research for an MBA program with his mom, and notice that a lot of people who were in this NBA program that he wanted to apply for, they did the same kind of gap year program. So he was kind of also using it as a way to get into what people.
Speaker 2: Are such strivers. I mean, I know Kevin Gordon and Schwab, he was a lifeguard when he was at Pepperdine. Making psych six bucks an hour falls is.
Speaker 5: Twenty twenty six is a different story. Of course, you have to be able to afford this, and it's also very competitive as well. Another story that you wrote about which really got our attention is about millennials and how they're feeling pretty good. There was a survey that found that their financial situation has improved from five years ago, more than say for Gen X or the Baby boomers.
Speaker 9: Nearly half of them feel like they've gotten better, which is a greater share of them than gen xers and baby boomers. I was speaking with the researcher and we kind of came to this conclusion that millennials might actually just be late bloomers. It's right around the time when they start to turn thirty, which I turned thirty this year. The youngest millennials are hitting that new decade. Their incomes, you know, are finally hitting those peak years there. Maybe they're in dual income household soon they're finally able to kind of catch.
Speaker 2: Up on those goals.
Speaker 9: And you see that their net worth is pulling away from you know, baby boomers at a faster pace.
Speaker 5: But aren't their debt levels also rising faster than others? I mean, they just have more debt in general too.
Speaker 9: That's the other side of the story here. So even though these younger generations might have more equity exposure, which is helping them pull away at a faster pace, they also have more consumer debt. And we excluded mortgage rate debt when we were mortgages debt when we were looking at this, So when we say consumer debt, we're including things like credit card true loans.
Speaker 5: The truth, I think student loans is a big, big one, especially given how much tuition has increased. Sarah, Thank you so much, Sarah Foster, with some incredible stories she is.
Speaker 2: It's like she's that good. Sarah Foster, thank you so much. It's a perfect segurity into Kevin Gordon's had a macro research and strategy at Cherish Schwab And you know, I look at this and as far as I can see, with personal finance in distant retirement, the younger crew, which you're arguably the voice on Wall Street, the younger crew takes us a lot more seriously than I did when I was thirty at the Wobbly Barn way up in Vermont.
Speaker 10: Yes, it is a definitive shift.
Speaker 11: I thought that she was fascinating because, you know, I said at such an interesting next to sort of talking about me being the younger voice on this. You know, all day I'm in the Wall Street world for work, but then I live in the gen Z world. I'm custy, but I'm technically gen Z. Still I'm on the I'm on the edge of its younger millennial.
Speaker 2: I'm exactly, I'm custy.
Speaker 11: But you know, this whole, this whole idea around, you know, and you see it Survey after survey, anecdote after anecdote. But younger people today, especially in gen Z, they just don't really believe in that classic American dream of a how being a wealth generator. So they have shifted a lot to the stock market. But that has really important implications for how they think about saving. And now they think about building wealth of her time, not you know, better or worse than what it was before. It's just a different environment than what we've had.
Speaker 5: They think about income generation through these like fancy fancy ets that costs a lot of money. But also I guess when it works, it works, but it feels like there's a lot of risk taking involved that they may not be aware of.
Speaker 11: Yes, there has been a you know, a blurring of this sort of investing versus gambling kind of mindset over the past several years. I would sort of date it back I guess to twenty twenty one when a lot of people were treating that memes stock craze new way to wealth.
Speaker 10: But obviously that.
Speaker 2: Its I want to interrupt you. This is too important. Your colleague Lizione Saunders is leading the way on this. Yes, she is the number one voice in the racket over gambling and what it means for kids in your million when you're a hipster and you're out on the weekend and all that. How pervasive is the gambling.
Speaker 10: Oh, it's incredibly pervasive.
Speaker 11: I mean, because you know, it's all in front of us all the time. You know that we all see the stats that's on screen time and how much people are buried in their phones and it gets you know, larger and larger percentage wise.
Speaker 2: When they're losing money. Is anybody making money?
Speaker 10: I don't know if well.
Speaker 11: The statistics on gambling versus investing are definitive in terms of how much money the average person loses for the former. So investing over the long term is statistically and empirically it is that, you know, it's the better way to sort of build wealth. But I think also what has sort of taken hold, and this was sort of embedded I think a little bit in the story that you were discussing earlier, is that we have, because of housing being so much at the center of how people view wealth building now and the fact that housing is frozen for a huge chunk of people out of reach, we have been living in what has been called this little treat economy where people are treating themselves to smaller things, not necessarily thinking about saving for a big down payment or a big purchase. Not painting that across the board from millennials, but that is increasingly becoming the and the feeling, and hence why you see also a lot more money being put into the stock market. So again, it's not necessarily an outright bad thing, it's just different in how people are treating their wealth.
Speaker 5: I mean, this source of demand for equities kind of continues unabated. If people are treating gambling as investing when they really want to go to something safe, what is that safe thing?
Speaker 11: Well, the same, I mean, I would argue that you know, any sort of tried and shrud and tested asset class, whether it's the bond market, whether it's the stock market, you know, those traditional asset classes have sort of proven their worth over time.
Speaker 5: Our millennials investments, I.
Speaker 11: Wouldn't say that the interest is there yet, especially when I speak to them.
Speaker 10: I think that that's still maybe.
Speaker 11: Maybe a more of a kind of enigma in a little bit of a black box in terms of the dynamics of the bond class as well. A lot oh yeah, I mean to me, I'm a stock market person, so the bond market to me is still an enigma. But I think you know, when you when you start to look into mechanics and the maths of the bond market, especially this week. I mean, when I have people now texting me about bonds, that's when you know things are really getting out.
Speaker 10: Into the me instrum and getting very, very interesting.
Speaker 11: But I still think that from that sort of coupon perspective, in that yield perspective, you know, we've been in the camp that the bombbackdrop is favorable, maybe not necessarily out to the long end in the ten year, but if you're focusing sort of ripe below duration, which is where our guidance is.
Speaker 2: I love. This is brilliant, Kevin. This banner that we've got up now, young Americans living in the treat economy, that's absolutely brilliant. Let's bring this off the writings of Kevin Gordon. He's been writing all summer because Liz Anne took the summer off. The S and P five undered up margin yet breadth improving emphasized moments by the fact equal way to S and P up eight point nine percent mag seven down the tubes, So we're learning again about rotation, and then bring it back to retirement. If I'm in those ugly middle years where I'm thinking about retirement, I'm scared stiff, I won't have enough money, but I'm paralyzed. I can't do anything forty five, fifty to fifty five years old. What's the path given this new breadth.
Speaker 10: Well, the the breadth of the market.
Speaker 11: I think in what you've learned over the past several years, because we've been and I would argue this multi year rotation process not necessarily outside of the mag seven where those companies just aren't going to be good performers, but you've we often find that there's this conflating and you run into this where people think just because they're the largest companies, they're going to be the best performers in the market. That was the case several years ago, but that hasn't been the case in the past several years. So I think that notably twenty four to twenty five, that's when you started to see more of a definitive shift. So the fact that they could still be up this year or up over the past year, that's true, but they're you know, sort of seating leadership to a lot of other parts of the market that have been asleep for a good chunk of this bowl market. Small caps is sort of the poster child of that. So I think in a rotational market where you've got north of seventy percent of companies in the S and P five hundred that are trading above their two hundred day moving average, that is much more consistent with rotational markets where leadership can change over time and it's not necessarily portending, you know, some massive drop in the market. Very different backdrop than late twenty twenty one, which I think is an important analog because that's when things started to get way too top heavy, but at the end of the surface was deteriorating, and then you ultimately had the fair market in twenty two.
Speaker 5: I want to go back to what you said about the treat economy and how people are feeling that they want to get, you know, treat themselves a little bit because the big things are so out of reach. The flip side of that is that phenomenon of fire right financial independence and retire early invests really aggressively deny yourself everything for now, so that by what thirty or forty or fifty, you can retire it and go live your best life. How much does that come up in your conversations with this generation of investors.
Speaker 10: Comes up a lot.
Speaker 11: I have a lot of discussions with individuals who, you know, whether it's in a friend capacity and they're just letting me know their experience, or if it's at a client of it and someone tells me about whether it's themselves or if it's there, if it's their child or grandchild, just that the you know, I think the concept around labor in the US and how that has changed, how you can have a lot more sources of supplemental income these days. You know, again, survey after survey showing that younger people think that you know, content creator is sort of rising up the list of potential you know, for a job, and for a full time job. Not that that's going to be the dominant job. It's not that I'm predicting that, but that's becoming more of a sort of a sentiment in the US amongst the younger crowd. Is that with the fire movement, but also having different streams of income, not necessarily relying only on you know, one incomes fright from one job necessary.
Speaker 2: Forty thousand billion, folks, I speak like the English here instead of forty trillion, forty trillion is forty thousand brillion. Bring up the debt clock again. I'm Bloomberg running today. It's a debt clock hat trick. We brought it up there that it's like forty billion in counting and all that. Do the young kids care about the debt? Or is that just you know Liz Anne was was was wonderful on this, and I think the younger Bush administration do we care about the debt? If we're young Turks?
Speaker 11: I would say in general, the younger generation, I don't hear about the debt.
Speaker 10: Maybe.
Speaker 11: Ever, I think that for some of these numbers, whether it's the debt, whether it is some of this issuance in the bond market, whether it is everything related to A and the investments that you're seeing, some of these numbers are just so large. I think that the mind can't really comprehend them. I was sitting sitting in a strategy meeting this morning and someone was saying, and I'm going to fudge the numbers and not remember them. It to call for the numbers. But someone was saying, you know, a trillion seconds. If you think about it in timing, a trillion seconds is you know, some decades ago in terms of years, so you know, you compound that to forty or you you sort of multiply that to forty, and it kind of puts into context how big these numbers are and how we really can't sort of fathom them. So it's I don't blame people for maybe shying away from wanting to approach that topic. But at the same time, again, we've been living with such large debt piles and large deficits for so long. I think also part of this is it has become a bit of the new norm. Not that I'm endorsing it, but when you have both sides that really don't seemingly want to do anything about it, and it becomes just this norm, that's what happened seconds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is a glass half full or glass half empty? Right now as you're right for the weekend?
Speaker 10: Glass effel?
Speaker 2: There you go? I mean, can come back coming Gordon with Charles Schrom. You're listening to Bloomberg Money stay with us with more to come after this.
Speaker 5: Kevin Gordon was just telling us about the treat economy. There's data from PNC credit card data that show year over year growth in hobby spending in every month since April of twenty twenty five. And this increase in the past year is outpacing discretion and purchases overall. And guess what expands across all generations from Tom King's baby boomers to the youngest Gen zers. And what it suggests is that consumers are making more room for their pastimes in their budget. Julia Fanzeraz joins us now to discuss I mean sometimes they're not saving as much in order to spend on treats for themselves.
Speaker 12: Absolutely, personal savings are at a four year low right now, and people are saying, you know, at a time where everything's very expensive and you want to be happy, we're going to spend a lot and splurge on these hobbies.
Speaker 5: What kind of hobbies are talking about? I mean there's like, you know, making music, playing sports. I mean these are not big budget items or are they.
Speaker 12: Well, the funny thing about hobbies is sometimes when you start it, it's a very low entryway, but when you get very into.
Speaker 5: It, that's when it gets expensive.
Speaker 12: So we chatted with people who, you know, they started off buying sticker sheets. Now they're spending three hundred dollars a month on stickers. Yes, to do junk bar on stickers, Can you believe it?
Speaker 5: Stickers like stickers, just what you put like a stock.
Speaker 2: My mother called those green stamps and she could buy in a cheap chat.
Speaker 5: With its twenty three hundred dollars a month.
Speaker 2: But in the old days, we had time for hobbies, like somebody had a forty eight foot Hinkley Bermuda, or you play golf three times a week. We're not doing that anymore, are we.
Speaker 12: I feel like the pandemic has pushed people to get back into spending time with themselves and going back to these hobbies. Actually spoke to someone who said they're back into golf because their coworkers were golfing, and he's golfing with his friends and now he got his own personal six hundred and fifty dollars Callowey driver.
Speaker 5: Okay, so stickers also crafting. You talked to comempanies that really cater to people's hobbies like Michael's, and they confirmed that this is a real thing. That's what was fascinating.
Speaker 12: Michael Ceo was saying, you know, the really amazing thing about this is it's generational. As you mentioned, people are spending more and more, and it's just not just you know, oh I'm buying like ten dollars here and there.
Speaker 5: They're making large purchases. You know.
Speaker 12: I was telling Tom earlier, I bought a two hundred dollars sewing machine because I wanted to get back into sewing. It has not been so lucreative because I did want to save on hemming and I've had to fix a lot of those, but it's still very fun.
Speaker 2: Is there like a modern AI tech sewing machine or is it just a standard singer thing.
Speaker 12: It's a standard singer, heavy duty. It is a standard singer, heavy duty, very low tech color gray.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately they didn't have industrial, didn't have the pink.
Speaker 5: They did a booting the economy, boosting the economy.
Speaker 2: We're going to books. Thank you so much for your comments on what's scholars.
Speaker 5: There's also a way to spend on your hobby.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well yeah, books is part of it. Is well, moving to Paris here because Julia dark in the door at Seance Poll a few years ago. My book on Paris this is a required read. David McCollough, I just simply can't say enough about it. The Greater Journey. This book is so strong about the arc from the eighteen thirty forties through regimes Commune, all the challenges of Paris. You're angry when the book ends. It's a required read for every expat bratt going to Paris, particularly if they go to Seonce Poe and hang out at the Moose Bar.
Speaker 5: Who are you referring to?
Speaker 2: I wouldn't know who that would be.
Speaker 5: How could that possibly be? Oh, Julia, you spent time in Paris. I don't know if you read this book, but I mean you certainly felt like an expot when you were there, and it's a very special experience. Absolutely.
Speaker 12: I was reading you know, James Baldwin Givannie's Room, you know, book set in Paris, and then also Scott f Scott Fitzgerald and Zelda Fitzgerald's work, because to really feel like that American in Paris, you do feel like an expot, but it feels like New York. You know, they're very friendly, just a little brusque, and they all speak French.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really an important idea. And we were talking about the gap year earlier. You go to Seance Poe it's not a gap year.
Speaker 12: This is like work, wasn't it that one? A lot of my friends had fun in their broads. I was studying, I was taking classes in French.
Speaker 5: It was it was grueling, but it was good. It was very very good. Well, speaking of France, or at least French food and French heritage, someone who is deeply influenced by all of that is a late Anthony Bourdain. So my reread for this week is Kitchen Confidential, which of course was published back in two thousand. It's a brutally honest memoir takedown really of the restaurant industry from an insider, and because of him, we all learned that you don't order fish on a Monday, you don't eat the bread, you don't eat Sunday buffets. The reason why I picked this book is also because it's the source material for a new movie that's coming out this weekend. Okay, it's called Tony. It's a biopic based on Bourdain's early years. It's getting a bus. It's an A twenty four production. Dominic Sessa is the lead actor, and he actually sounds like Anthony Bourdain. I don't know what he did or what kind of training he did, or you know what kind of research he did, But he sounds like Anthony Bourdain. There's a certain cadence that he achieves.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 12: I've been seeing this book pop up all at time. I was at a bar and I saw a guy reading the book, and I went up to at the bar, at the bar, at the bar performative reading, if you will. Tollers we talked about earlier.
Speaker 5: It's very much a building's ormond. I'm excited about it because it's like the source material for the early years of Anthony Boarding.
Speaker 2: I mean, I look at this and within Bloomberg Money, it's loads and loads of parents sending kids abroad. It's an ancient thing. With a David McCullough book. This goes back to the fabric of the nation. What was the biggest to tie into scarlet? The biggest food surprise for you? Don't tell me McDonald's in London or that. What was the biggest French food surprise for you in Paris?
Speaker 12: What surprised me the most was that food from everywhere can taste good. I feel like sometimes in the US you stop into any place and the food's not that great. You would go into every single little cafe. The coffee was.
Speaker 5: Amazing, the milk was amazing.
Speaker 12: It was just that was the worst part transitioning back was saying, oh, not every place.
Speaker 2: Back to the Starbucks and ann Arbor. It just didn't work.
Speaker 5: It didn't work for me anymore. Makes a lot of sense. Any beget anywhere would be incredible, right the Krock Monsieur.
Speaker 2: True story, I mean Davos Christine Lagard where it's some French thing. Leguard turns to me, dead serious, Leguard. You don't know, Tom, never make jokes about that. Gets and bread with the French. Welcome back to Bloomberg Money, Tom King with a scarlett Foo has just been a great, great hour. And what we do is we look forward.
Speaker 5: We look forward to how you're going to spend your money this weekend and in the coming week. And the US Open Fan Week begins this weekend. It's Chatterday, it's fan Week. But they also you also have access to what they call like the qualifying matches, the practice sessions, so people like to wander around and check out the talent. The main tournament doesn't begin until next Sunday, but it's.
Speaker 2: Wonderful, particularly in midtown Manhattan. You're literally bumping into various people carrying twenty.
Speaker 5: Tennis rackets, right, I mean, and you're also paying up for the Honey juices, which are a big thing. It's a special drink. Have you heard of it.
Speaker 2: I've heard of it. I tried one once. Okay, I just once, but I tried it.
Speaker 5: Taket prices for fan Week have really soured. This used to be relatively affordable ground passes, but now they're up to as much as three hundred and sixty three dollars, so much so that Bill Ackman even complained about it on There's a.
Speaker 2: Lot of complaints's time around. But again, the players are sort of like in a lot of other sports, revolting, you know, talk about Bloomberg money. You know what they're just saying, when do we get the TV pie? When do we get our piece of the action.
Speaker 5: Yeah, here's what Bill Ashley said. Yeah, he said, the idea that a day one ground passes three hundred and sixty three dollars is absurd. And by the way, he's referring to the secondary price of that ground pass. But you know, three hundred and sixty three to walk around and check things out, that's kind of pricey.
Speaker 2: We got to get Bill Backman on the show. He'd be great to have on the show.
Speaker 5: I think he has a lot of opinions that he'd liked.
Speaker 2: Sure, we'd like to get you on here, B and C. Block. We'll get that done as well. I mean to me, it's just really really interesting. We're into the autumn.
Speaker 5: Yeah, in the US Open and the US Open. Also this weekend Shakespeare and the Prkets the last weekend. Those tickets are free but very difficult to get, very difficult.
Speaker 2: To get to say the least. Oh is there there?
Speaker 5: I was in last year The Winter's Tale? That saw what's playing this weekend.
Speaker 2: I am the worst quoter of Shakespeare east of the Mississippi.
Speaker 5: That's okay. This is Bloomberg Money. We don't need to do Shakespeare.
Speaker 2: This is the Bloomberg Money Podcast, bringing you a smart look at the forces shaping your financial life. I'm Tim Keen with Scarlet Food. You can watch the show live on Bloomberg TV every Friday at noon Wall Street Time. Subscribe to the podcast on Apple, Spotify or wherever you listen, and is always on the Bloomberg Terminal and the Bloomberg Business app.