Speaker 1: Welcome to Noble Blood, a production of iHeartRadio and Grim and Mild from Aaron Mankey listener discretion advised.
Speaker 2: Hi, this is Danish Forts and I am so thrilled to be here today with a very special interview. I'm talking to doctor Hugh Doherty, who's a professor at the University of East Anglia in the UK. He focuses, I think, primarily on medieval topics. Your lecture in medieval subjects, but very exciting to my personal interests is he served as the historical consultant on the truly excellent television series A Night of the Seven Kingdoms. And I just want to be very clear, this is not a sponsored episode.
Speaker 1: No one is paying me to do this.
Speaker 2: I just genuinely personally love television show so much and so I'm personally so delighted to be speaking with you, doctor Doherty.
Speaker 1: Thank you for joining us.
Speaker 3: It's a pleasure to be here, just.
Speaker 1: To I've write in.
Speaker 2: Can you talk a little bit about your field and your subjects that you primarily focus on when you're not consulting for historical fantasy series.
Speaker 3: I have an expertise in tenth and eleventh and twelfth century Europe, and as a result of my own choice, I wanted to teach I mean fascinated with ancient history, so I teach a module on the Roman Empire and I also teach a module on the One Hundred Years War. So I know a little about a lot.
Speaker 2: Well, that's sort of the motto for this podcast, where I've covered several thousands of years of history.
Speaker 1: What I love.
Speaker 2: About A Night of the Seven Kingdoms and Game of Thrones in general is it very clearly takes place in a fantasy world, but there are analogs to real British history. I think it's pretty clear that the original Game of Throne series is a take on the Wars of the Roses in the fifteenth century and the House of the Dragon sort of. The prequel series seems inspired by the anarchy the period with Empress Matilda. When does the Night of the Seven Kingdoms, I'm going to say take place again, even though it is very much a fantasy series.
Speaker 3: I agree with everything you've said about, by the way, about A nine to Seven Kingdoms, I've only seen the first two episodes.
Speaker 1: At the moment, oh, you gotta get on it. The ending, really they really stick the ending.
Speaker 3: I know, I just thought they were marvelous, and in fact, they were so good they made me go back and watch The House of Dragon, which I had not seen, and I'm only sort of halfway through season one, but absolutely spellbound. In answer to your really interesting observation and question, by noting that I think George R. Martin is a superb historian. He knows his stuff. It's not just he knows chronology and reigns and personalities, but he understands the operation of power in these societies like few other people do. And I think it's in a fantastic job. And often, as I've said that, the Game of Thrones, House of Dragon, and now Night the Seven Kingdoms are often more accurate in how they represent the texture of society than series and films that are allegedly about the Middle Ages. So I think that's an important point to note. I think Night of the Seven Kingdoms, when I talked to Ira Parker, the writer and showrunner about the period, he'd asked George R. Martin, what was the sort of you know that if he had to spin it to a particular century, which centry would it be? And George R. Martin came back with the fourteenth and that is the as you know, it is the age of the Tournament and of the first two thirds of the one hundred Years War.
Speaker 2: So how did you, obviously you know a lot about the Hundred Yard's War in this period, how did you connect with Ara Parker who created the show alongside George R.
Speaker 1: Martin and the team at HBO.
Speaker 3: It's just luck I've done this before. It all started by somebody When I was at Oxford, I was a research fellow and someone at someone at the history faculty got received a phone call and from a film company who needed somebody to advise on something else. This as many years ago, and this person who answered the phones that are I know someone? So I said yes to that, and I've been sort of picking up the phone or answering emails ever since. So it was word of mouth essentially. So it was a great joy to be asked as a fan of Game of Thrones long before all of this, it was a great it was an honor to be asked. And essentially it came down to Ira and myself having these interviews with Ira, I think in la and myself here in Norwich and Easter in Norfolk in England. Just discussing tournament culture, nightly politics, warfare, one hundred Years War. It was just fantastic because Ira wanted detail, you know, he more detailed the better, and he had lots of fascinating questions. It was a real joy to sort of be engaged in the creative process at an early stage. You know, I've been on productions where I've been invited in at the very last minute and then to some extent everything is fixed. While with this I could suggest things that could be then fed into the script and the writing.
Speaker 2: It's very exciting to me what this show did. And like you said, it captures the texture of the medieval world obviously, even though it takes place in a fantasy world. But what a Night of the Seven Kingdoms does that other Game of Thrones series don't do. Is it's very focused on a brief period of time rather than spanning years. We are focused on one tournament. Can you tell us a little bit about what tournament culture was like in the thirteen hundreds in England?
Speaker 3: I will start by saying that there is a sort of youth. There was a nightly culture that united all of Europe. So the same men who on battlefields are trying to kill each other, are on the tournament field, interacting with each other as competitors and sportsmen, and as colleagues and as fellow diners and feasts. It's an aspect of elite culture that draws men and women from across Europe. So it's something that they share. So what at the same time they're often killing each other in the great battlefields and sieges of the One hundred Years War, at the same time that in moments of truces or peace or sometimes interacting with these campaigns, they are also participating in these tournaments. They were splendid opportunities for the elite of Europe to gather, to show off their wealth, their accouterments, their gear, their households. And the comparison I've always made is that tournaments were much like film festivals in that it was as much about what was happening after the film showings, the soires, their dinners, as what's happening in the film showings, and so it was as much about what's happening off the tournament field as on it. There's no doubt that there is. The principal action is the demonstration of skill at arms on the tournament field for all to see, and then this will occupy each day, and then in the evenings they'll be feasting and dancing and poetry and interaction between competitors and between women and families and households. And I think that The Night the Seven Kingdoms did a brilliant job in bringing that out, that that interaction that happens off the torment field. So there is great drama on the field, and that drama could be you know, they could it could be just knights torning against each other, but they might also reenact episodes from antiquity, from the classical world, all from the legendary world. So it develops in Spain. Actually, this this notion that knights would hold a bridge and would defy any other night to cross the bridge, or that they would re enact a battle of King Arthur.
Speaker 1: It's like children playing Red Rover King of the Hell.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, there's a it's as much about re enactment and display. It's a celebration of the aristocratic imagination.
Speaker 1: What I always found you brought up King Arthur.
Speaker 2: I've always found it personally fascinating that to a modern lay person, their conception of King Arthur, if they're imagining him is in the fourteenth century as a knight of chivalry, when, of course King Arthur, who didn't exist, if he did exist at all, would have been you know, ninth century maybe. But I find it very interesting that our popular image of this character is in the era where he was popularized.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. I know of Medievlis who don't like the kind of thing I do, who you know, laugh at or comment on sort of making a fantasy world accurate and to give it text joh and so on. But I think it's what's really interesting is that the kind of world that George R. R. Martin has created is one that any fourteenth, fifth, deenth century audience would have loved. I mean, the tales of knightly drama, of heroes rising through the ranks. This is that world of Arthur that they love reading about, hearing about, and re enacting. So there is actually a nice continuation between the as you say, the legendary world of Arthur that they believe in and they love, and that has shaped Western culture, you know, the pre Raphaelites, Wagner Excalibur up to Game of Thrones. It's part of a in a way, a shared tradition that we are still buying into.
Speaker 2: They were celebrating King Arthur as a fictional night the same way we're talking about Sir Duncan Natal.
Speaker 3: Absolutely absolutely, and in the same way that people who watch The Night of Seven Kingdoms on a Sunday evening in the States on Monday evening here would go to work the following day things exactly with their their imaginations captured as they're on the underground or the bus or driving to work and they're thinking about tournament culture and daring do and honor and all this sort of thing. I think the fourteenth century audience thought exactly the same. When they were on their way to church or you know, going to see family, or going to the law courts or inspecting their stables, they were also thinking about Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table, so they it populated their imaginative landscapes.
Speaker 2: And to be frank and I don't want to generalize, but it does seem like for most people being alive in the fourteenth century would have been quite boring and bleak and challenging and physically arduous. I imagine these tournaments were a opportunity for a chance for levity and fun and community that might not, you know, we might just be church and working in a field.
Speaker 3: The rest of the time, they were immensely popular. They were great fun. I would say, no age likes to think of themselves as an age of boredom. And when we have evidence there is a lot of drinking, merry making, dancing in the lives of peasant farmers, I mean that's not There's also starvation, and there is harsh justice.
Speaker 1: And there is a fairmine around this era exactly so.
Speaker 3: And plague, but you know, plague is no respector of rank, was no respector of rank, as COVID was no respector of rank. And it's also been pointed out the number of Saints Days. Saints Day's are holidays, and there are so many Saints Days, it's sometimes difficult to say how many days these farmers are actually working.
Speaker 2: They got more time off than than most Americans.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, But having said all that, there is no doubt that tournaments were in immense draw for all different sections of society. I think what we also have to remember is that it was talked about, so even if people weren't there, it was talked about and listened to in the weeks and months afterwards. And that that was a I know. I remember being in a restaurant and listening to an account of a football match at another table, and more or less all of the restaurant was gripped by the discussion of this match that only that table had seen. So the same I think was true in the Middle even more true in the Middle Ages, that it was topic of discussion, and you can imagine how the stories got better in the telling.
Speaker 1: So in a real tournament in the fourteenth century, if I were a knight or a nobleman competing, what would be at stake for me?
Speaker 3: Not your life? Not your life. So it's very rare for nights to be killed. Now they sometimes were, sometimes as a result because it's a danger sport, and sometimes because there is suspicion of murder, they use a lance they shouldn't have done. The lances were meant to have this sort of non lethal end, but that could sometimes be altered, so it was lethal. There are deaths, but they would above what was at stake, honor, glory above all. It's slightly different from the tournament of the of the twelfth and thirteenth century, where you could make your fortune by capturing other knights and then selling off their horses, their armor, and even ransoming them.
Speaker 1: When you stick capturing other nights, do you mean just beating them in.
Speaker 3: A joust, Yeah, unhorsing them. And then as it were, so the twelfth century and thirteenth century, tournaments weren't as we imagine them as they became in the fourteenth century. They were sort of pitched battles where killing wasn't the objective, capture was, and they were fought over large sort of football fields, huge battles taking place where they're not killing each other, just trying to capture each other, and then you could sell off your captives to make a nice fortune. It alters so in the thirteenth and in the fourteenth century it becomes much more display of arms and a quest for honor and glory, and it's about it's just about us, you know, make an impression on all of the glamorous people, the men and the women, as much as the men who are who are present, and for showing off, you know, your horsemanship, your skill at arms, that's what's at stake. And we can't underestimate the importance of honor for these men and women.
Speaker 2: Something I sort of have imagined from popular culture, is a night extending his lance and getting the favor of a woman her maybe tying a rib in to the end of the lance.
Speaker 1: Was that something that actually heurd Yes.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. In fact, it's even more Our evidence is even richer and more complex. We have high status women decided who was the champion after so many days of fighting, and as it been, it wasn't just simply about calculating points and scoring victories, but a noble woman might often be entrusted with deciding who was the bravest, the most skillful night, or dispensing with a range of prizes, or giving the prize. It might even be a wild animal. We know of one tournament where the prize being competed for was a bear.
Speaker 1: What would you do with a bear? If you want? I is it bear baiting? Is that the answer?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I mean, Henry the Second has a bear in the twelfth century, and I think bears would do tricks, and I think it was just such a large and hungry beast to feed that it was kind of you know, it was a demonstration of wealth and power. So you come home from the tournament and you bring back a bear.
Speaker 2: I can't imagine anyone's wife being too pleased about that.
Speaker 3: No, though, it's a noble woman, according to this evidence, who gave the bear away, who was in charge of the bear and gave it as the gift to the victor. Though, when Henry Earl of Darby in the thirteen nineties, he went to join the Teutonic Knights in their one of their campaigns, and he goes twice, and on the second time he misses them. They've already campaigned in the summer against the Lithuanians. So he goes on it because he's got money. This is the future Henry the fourth. He goes on a kind of great pilgrimage to Jerusalem and around Europe, and he picks up all these gifts and he comes back with a leopard, and so you could, you know, the menageries of these aristocrats at these tournaments could be quite spectacular.
Speaker 2: I mean that sounds spectacular. Who in general is funding these tournaments? Is it always the king local noblemen? Is there a system in place.
Speaker 3: It's largely paid for out of the nobleman. The nobleman's if they want a tournament, they pay for it. There are some tournaments where because there it's quite a high profile tournament, kings get involved and they'll fund it. They'll pay for the whole thing because it you know, there's a very famous tournament in France in thirteen ninety in which three great French knights challenge all of Europe to battle them, and it takes place over a really significant something like thirty days of fighting as a demonstration of endurance. It's very impressive. It's paid for by the French king because it's bringing great honor and glory to the French kingdom. He didn't start with him, but once he hears about it, he wants to sort of support it, so he funds it.
Speaker 2: I mean that makes sense at thirty days also seems like such a long time where that's like, don't you have jobs to do?
Speaker 1: Aren't there any wars to fight?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? The fascinating thing is a recent study of this particular tournament demonstrates that it's happening up the road from where the negotiations were being conducted between the French and English delegations trying to thresh out a piece, So it looks like there's actually overlap. People are moving from powerful negotiating to the tournament field, so that at the tournament itself, you know, over the drinks and the feasting at night, they're also talking about how they can work out a lasting piece, which is very interesting.
Speaker 1: I mean that is, that's such an interesting contrast that there's this lasting piece and then this faux battle happening juxtaposed literally right next door to each other.
Speaker 3: Absolutely and and men, the three Knights are all involved in the One hundred Years War. One of them in fact, would be captured what twenty five years later at Asencourp, So you know, it's really fascinating how these individuals turn up in all these different campaigns and tournaments.
Speaker 2: You mentioned earlier that their lives wouldn't necessarily be at risk in these tournaments, which are not intended to be deadly, but of course accidents do happen. I mean, a few centuries after the period that we're talking about, the king of France, who was Henry the Second, will die in a jousting accident. Were there any notable tragedies that come to mind for you?
Speaker 3: In particular, in the thirteenth century, there are a number of high ranking casualties who are killed in tournaments and in both cases murder is suspected.
Speaker 2: Interesting as in people wanted to sort of use the cover of the tournament to kill people that they actually wanted to kill.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, so there is aristocratic feuding and they want to settle scores. There are of course jewels to the death, a bit like you're catting that microphone, you know. One of the most famous jewels is fought at the French Court and was the subject of that very good film The Last Duel, about a charge of rape, and that is to the death. So there are these incidents. I mean, Henry Earl of Darby, who I've just mentioned, was compelled to fight a duel with Thomas Mowbray, Duke of Norfolk, over charges of treason in thirteen ninety nine before he was exiled by Richard the Second. He didn't. The duel was never fought at Coventry, but it came very close to being waged and then was stopped by the King.
Speaker 1: The last Duel, which Ridley Scott made the film of phenomenal film.
Speaker 3: I thought, I thought it was excellent that also captured what a jewel to the death was like. So that they do occur, but the jewels are separate from the tournaments.
Speaker 2: One other thing that occurs in the television show Night of the Seven Kingdoms is a trial by combat. They end up doing a trial where it's seven against seven. I hope I'm not spoiling anything. I won't reveal any outcomes, but is a trial by combat something that actually occurred during this.
Speaker 3: Period, absolutely, and it had been a part of elite culture and justice from a very early date, I mean from a sort of post Roman date, late antiquity. The evidence from among those who settled in the Roman Empire from the fifth and sixth century of this kind of means of resolving feud, of fighting jewels. So it goes from being part, it seems, of pagan Germanic elite culture to being something within the Christian fold. That duels are fought often as a result of charges of treason in the eleventh and twelfth century. So when men are charged with treason, they deny it and then they have to fight to defend their position. And there we have an account from a jewel that is fought in Flanders in the summer of eleven twenty seven, and it's horrific. It's just like the duel in the in Game of thrones, where you know, the chap's eyes are pulled out or squashed out, and there's something not quite the same, but something similar. We have an account of it takes place after the assassination of the counter Flanders in eleven twenty seven that sets off a chain of events that leads to civil war in Flanders. And there is this jewel about charges of complicity in the assassination, and we have an eyewitness account of the jewel in which one sort of one of the Nights against another more or less disembowels the opponent, and then the opponent, as he's dying, is then executed because he's lost the jewel, which is God's judgment. He's thus been found guilty. So really quite unsettling.
Speaker 1: Good, quite uncomfortable to physically imagine.
Speaker 3: Yes, absolutely.
Speaker 2: One slightly lighter question to end on another theme in Night of the Seven Kingdoms is sigils and symbols on shields. Can you speak a little bit about what the purpose and meaning of these heraldic symbols were and if you have any personal favorites.
Speaker 3: This is really interesting because the tournament appears to emerge out of a tradition of cavalry games that goes back to the Roman period, so we know that the Romans liked their military, cavalry entertainment, and that then develops in the in the early Middle Ages under Charlemagne and his successors, and out of that in the later eleventh century, very likely in northeast what is now northeast France, Belgium and the Netherlands, there emerges a tournament culture. Why that should be remains unclear, but associated with that is the development, fascinatingly of heraldry. So the history of tournament and heraldry are seen to be closely connected. It's fascinating absolutely. So you know, there's been lots of warfare in the early Middle Ages and there's been no real evidence of heraldry of aristocratic houses. That changes in the late eleventh century and it's linked to tournaments. And it looks like that different families are keen to demonstrate their presence and their power, their identity, their membership with these choice of arms and this decoration on their shields and on their penants. So you look at the baotapestry and there's very limited, very very limited heraldic decoration. I think there's a dragon on a couple of the shields of the knights. On the botapestry, there's a dragon standard, but otherwise there's an absence of heraldry. But forty years later, after ten sixty six ten seventy the day to the BeO Tapestry, more or less arms are being used by elite families, and as the period proceeds thirteenth fourteenth centuries, they get quite complex and very colorful and very interesting. My favorite is a bit earlier from that, in the early twelfth century. There's the seal matrix of a English sheriff and Justice, and it's a very peculiar because it shows a night fighting a monster, a kind of griffin like beast, who is holding a kind of small other beast in its mouth. It's not quite clear what's going on. It looks like that the smaller beast is directing the greater beast against this night.
Speaker 1: It's like a crying situation. It's like a small, small guy controlling a big guy.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, it's exactly that, and it's really fascinating, clearly an insight into how this night saw himself as a kind of a fighter against the forces of darkness on behalf of his king. So it's a really fascinating insight into a mentality.
Speaker 2: I love that. If you have access to it, please please email it to me. I would love to see that. But it is fascinating to imagine that these Knightly heralds are performative more than functional. In that sense, if they corresponded with the rise of these tournaments, they were outward facing symbols, and I think that's such an interesting analysis.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, But having said that, I would also want to make the point that they then, of course, as you know, they are then functional and in the stress of battle, you know, seeing these standards and in the close visor of these helmets, seeing a standard of your lord or of your king is can rally your spirit and can also show you where to rush to. There's no accident that Henry the Fifth placed himself at agancourp right on the front line with his royal war helm so that everybody could see where he was to rally the lads, in other words, in the heat of battle.
Speaker 2: And of course something to bring it all back together. Something I think that Night of the Seven Kingdoms communicated very well is it is difficult to see in those visors. Absolutely if you lose sight of your lord, I mean going back to the Bayo tapestry Battle of Hastings, it seems like you're king is down, who knows what to do as.
Speaker 3: The confusion and terror of battle. In fact, there are two different kinds of helmet. There is the tournament helmet, which is a big, showy offye gear, and then there's the sort of battle helm where a lot like Israeli tank commanders were trained to drive with their heads out of the tank hatch to give maximum mobility in the nineteen sixties and seventies, Knights in English armies and French armies in the fourteenth century preferred helmets without visors so that they could see the action. It was much more dangerous. Of course, Henry the Fifth gets an arrow as a sixteen year old boy in his face at the Battle of Shrewsbury because he's got his visor up, because he wants to see what's happening and lead his men. It's a serious business.
Speaker 2: It's a serious business. I've already taken far too much of your time. This is I could talk to you for hours, fascinating. One last question just before you go, how do you feel something very exciting for medievalists is about to happen? In the UK, which is the value tapestry coming back.
Speaker 3: I'm very very excited. I'm also deeply nervous.
Speaker 1: That's what people say.
Speaker 3: It's a little controversial, you know, I can see post Brexit the b word good thing to be reminded of our remarkable and rich shared history with the continent. I'm a bit little bit anxious about the transport of this remarkable object. I mean, you know, it is very very fragile, and it should be preserved. Its survived. After all, it has survived Napoleon, it has survived the Vermarked and the SS. It has survived a great deal and it needs to be preserved so that future generations can enjoy. It's fascinating detail.
Speaker 1: If I'm correct, had Harold with an arrow to.
Speaker 3: The absolutely though it's there is everything about the Bait tapestry is an enigma and a challenge. So the problem with that is that we think we're not actually sure which figure because it says Howld, but it's not quite clear which figure is Harold. There is a figure with an arrow. And then, just to complicate things work more, there is evidence that the arrow is a nineteenth century restoration. Oh no, So even something as like as sort of accepted and known as the arrow in Harold's eye and the bed tapestry, which not even certain if it's if it's part of the original decoration. It is that there is. Everything about the bar tapestry is an enigma. The more you look at it, the more complex and the more interesting it becomes.
Speaker 2: I know, I just gave a thousand medieval as a heart attack by saying Harold died with an arrow to the eye, reinforcing the historical myth.
Speaker 3: I was just at a seminar where the historian was talking exactly on this point. Harold may still have died by an arrow, and there may be an arrow there in the tapestry that may indeed be Harold. There's just this problem that there is evidence of slight, heavy handed restoration in the nineteenth century. I'm sure those historians Medievus are still alive.
Speaker 1: Okay, good doctor Dougherty.
Speaker 2: I cannot thank you enough for your time, for this fascinating conversation. I can see why Hollywood keeps calling you. It's just a pleasure to talk to you.
Speaker 3: It's been a pleasure, Dona, really thank you.
Speaker 1: Noble Blood is a production of iHeartRadio and Grim and mild from Aaron Mankey. Noble Blood is hosted by me Danash Schwartz. Writers for Noble Blood are Hannah Johnston, hannah's Wick, Paul Jaffey, Natasha Laski, and me Dana Swartz. The show is edited and produced by Jesse Funk and Nomes Griffin, with supervising producer rima il Kaali and executive producers Aaron Manke, Trevor Young, and Matt Frederick. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.