Speaker 1: You know, it's a really good movie, but I didn't see any amputees. It's one more thing.
Speaker 2: I'm one more thing.
Speaker 1: We're all a little hungover from our Oscar parties last night. We're big Oscar people around here. Did anybody watch a single second of the show. Nope, Yeah I did. He did. Yeah, good for you.
Speaker 3: I didn't miss your bride interest editor. Were you driving that train?
Speaker 2: It was mainly her, But you know, we watched it for the show, so to speak, get a little show preppy.
Speaker 1: Good for you. And that's the only reason I do most things, is pay attention to most things is for the show. I have no idea once I'm done with this job if I'll pay attention to anything ever again. But I do pay some attention to the Oscars because it tips me off to things I want to see. Like I watched Marty Supreme only because Challameay was nominated for Best Ask Oscar and I heard about how greatest performance was. Otherwise I wouldn't have known about the movie. So we watched it over the weekend. We really really enjoyed it. I highly recommended. His performance is freaking unbelievable. He might be my favorite current actor he's terrific in all the world.
Speaker 3: You know, Sean pennu On the best supporting actor, is an amazing artist. Yeah, he's absolutely crazy good. But you know what's interesting about stars?
Speaker 1: Excuse me, he's allergical talking about this. Yeah, even talking about the oscars makeing cough. I'm trying to choke it out, but I can't.
Speaker 3: I'm choking on my hatred.
Speaker 1: Uh No.
Speaker 3: But you'd think if you were one of the great gifted artists, you know, in your field, that would be enough. But everybody's also got to be a like top notch political commentator.
Speaker 1: Right, kind of funny. This is not a spoiler alert from Marty Supreme really, although it's a funny line which kind of gets from if I replete bunker repeated. Anyway, he does an amazing job of pulling off as a noodle boy. I had to explain that term to a whole bunch of people who had never heard it before. The whole noodle boy thing is like a section of sex symbols that apparently a lot of chick into these really skinny metrosexual dudes like Chalomey. He's dating one of the Kardashians, one of the hot Kardashi essuan that like noodle boys, he's clearly a noodle boy. He's shirtless a fair amount in this movie. Man, he is a skeleton. I so don't get that. I don't get that either, but any I mean, and that's the way he's built. It's not a he can't help it. But the fact that that has become like a sex symbol style is kind of interesting to me.
Speaker 3: But either reminds me almost of the early seventies, when early mid seventies when like metro sexual kind of gender bendy, you know, kind of hairless, skinny heroin looking dudes for sex, Jimmy Page, you know, with David Bowie, that sort of character.
Speaker 1: Although if I was a check I'd like Shallamey just because he's very, very cool. But his character at one point he's playing he's a table tennis hustler, which does not give anything away. Welle guy says, how about you put your money where your mouth is? He said, how about I put my penis where your mouth is? I got wow spoiler. My kids laughed really hard at that one. But anyway, you know, I had forgotten this crap about the oscars, or I would have paid even less attention. I didn't watch one second, and I would have paid less attention than that.
Speaker 3: Is it possible to pay anti attention to something?
Speaker 1: Right? If I had remembered their new qualifications for movies being considered for Best Picture, all right, I forgot all about that lead or significant sporting actors from unrepresentative racial or ethnic groups that you need to have a certain number and all these different things to be to qualify for a Best Picture nominee. That's why my joke was as a really good movie, but I didn't see any amputees. You've gotta meet various qualifications. This may include African American, East Asian, Hispanic, or Latina EO or X. It has here the Academy, I want you to say Latin E Latino or LATINX okay or all three or okay, Indigenous people, Middle Eastern Pacific Island or South Asian Southeast and at least all these different things you have to have it jen of.
Speaker 3: That I'm making a movie about fishermen in Norway.
Speaker 1: And I gotta have a LACHINEO X in. This a Viking film. This is Vikings, This is Norwegian's taken on me.
Speaker 3: Okay, this is the vikings invading Britain in the year thirteen hundred.
Speaker 1: At least thirty percent of all actors for an OSCAR nominated film must be from two under representative groups, which may include women, racial or ethnic group LGBTQ plus, or people with cognitive or physical disabilities, or who are deaf or hard of hearing. This is so messed up for art. You're gonna make a film and I don't know, I don't know. I walked around and I didn't see anybody who seemed to be blind or hard of hearing. So sorry. The characters are the actors, the last actors. Yeah, so characters the actors. This is hilarious, hilarious.
Speaker 3: It's a great illustration of how good Heart's paradox works.
Speaker 1: Is that good Heart's law. Yeah, once a one law, once a.
Speaker 3: Measure becomes a standard.
Speaker 1: Once a measure becomes a goal, it ceases to be a good measure.
Speaker 3: Yes, right, exactly. So you know I would say, yeah, I played in bands for years and I kind of got some hearing loss from the guitar amps. They'd be like, thank God, sign this statement to that effect. All right, you're hired.
Speaker 1: You just go around to anybody you could reasonably.
Speaker 3: Claim, yeah, my granddad I think was a Sioux Indian, or maybe it was.
Speaker 1: My great grand good enough sign here. Or you hire somebody on for your movie and you say, hey, could you do me a favorite? Limp around all the time? What I just need you to limp around all the time. It's a long story. If you could just limp around, or.
Speaker 3: If I give you this signal, uh, you gotta start limping, because that means the inspectors on this set all right, boss, whatever it takes.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. And then this one, which is even crazier than that, your main storyline subject matter. So now you're telling the artists of the world you're only allowed to paint bowls of fruit or or a madonna with child, these aline things you're allowed to paint, which actually kind of was the rules ye back in.
Speaker 3: The old ancient pope happy to do that for you.
Speaker 1: The main storyline or subject matter the main storylines U has to be centered on an at least a part of the theme or narrative of the film has to be centered on an unrepresentative group women, racial ethnic group, LGBTQ plus, or people with cognitive or physical disabilities, or dark or hard of hearing, hard of hearing. Yes, and so like I'm trying to think back of movies. And then and then another interesting thing, and this is.
Speaker 3: So you got to have somebody go into a deli or whatever. I'll have the U ham and Swiss. I'm sorry, said that again. I got a little hearing loss, hamond Swiss and you've satisfied the standard.
Speaker 1: Oh great drink, Yeah, no kidding.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: One of the themes in Marty Supreme was him being Jewish. I wonder if they had to work that into the script because it didn't the Hollywood accept horrible Zionist as a special case. It wasn't important to the Oh you know what, one of the actors who was really really good was crazy overweight. I'll bet he counted, oh yeah, because he was like really really big, good actor. But you know, it's the whole DEI thing. You know, he'll wonder for the rest of his life. Did I get hired because I'm a good actor? Did you need a profoundly obese person to qualify for Best Picture? They needed to satisfy the body positivity movement. Mm hmm. Here's some problem. Critics have argued the criteria is too easily met No kidding, Oppenheimer, despite its predominantly white cast, qualified for picture through its through its studios backing music. So there was somebody that played on some of the music for the movie Oppenheimer that I don't know was in a wheelchair or something. So that's gay, wor's gay or whatever? Right? How crazy is that?
Speaker 3: Yeah? You hear that background music in that scene. Yeah, a third chair violinist is gay. I think he looks gay anyway, sign.
Speaker 1: Here I saw. I'm looking at a dude once. I don't know, you ask gay enough?
Speaker 3: Right? Oh? These people are so there's such a parody of them.
Speaker 1: They really really are, and they have no idea of it. Again, I paid no attention to it. I would have paid less attention if I had remembered these stupid, stupid list I mean, god dang it. They go on and on about the importance of film and our art. And as an artist, I okay, you're you're an artist who has put down ridiculously quote ridiculous quotas for qualifying for art. That's not the way art works.
Speaker 3: Hey, you got dark hairy, You will want to claim your ancestors or inuits. Will it get me the job. Yes, well, then yes I will.
Speaker 1: How or where are the whales this season? I know whatever you need.
Speaker 4: I mean in Hollywood where people will will perform sexual acts on loathsome old fat guys will they falsely claim to be descended from Inuits.
Speaker 1: G What do you think, good lord?
Speaker 3: Or put up with being raped? Harvey Weinstein? You don't think they'll falsely claim me. I got some hearing loss on the right side. Oh my god, you people are hilarious.
Speaker 1: For instance, for putting your movie together, at least two of the key creative roles, such as casting, director, cinematographer, composer, director, editor, producer or writer must be from an unrepresentative group underrepresentative group. So if you go the list of you know, the people in the credits, you gotta there better be a black woman in her somewhere, or a Hispanic dude or something, or this picture doesn't count.
Speaker 3: I read a piece by a white writer in Variety who's like, yeah, all of a sudden, we can't get hired, and now I know why. That's that's brutal.
Speaker 1: And then this one, the film's distribution or financing company, oh boy, must offer paid apprenticeships or internships. For underrepresentative groups across departments like production, product, music, blah blah blah. Oh okay, oh my god, you got again.
Speaker 3: This is this is anti caring. Now I have achieved the theoretical physicists have speculated that this can occur. I now have anti interest in the oscars.
Speaker 1: Well, this is gonna ripple out for me because now anytime I see anything that comes out of Hollywood and I see you know exactly this character or that character and be like, h take a shot. Yeah.
Speaker 3: That's the insidious part of affirmative action is the great philosopher Thomas Solo has pointed out many times the sidekicker, the guy down the block who turns out to be the main character's friend, is a black guy. You're thinking, oh, they had to put a black guy in there as opposed to No, he's a really gifted actor, and you know, as a neighborhood where you might find black people. No, because it makes everybody under suspicion.
Speaker 1: Should piss off all the quote underrepresented groups.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, so.
Speaker 1: You know you're a check mark, right, And that last one I'm sure is easy. So Warner Brothers makes up a fake internship. They hire some twenty year old who's one eighth jerokey. He says, show up every Monday at six. What am I supposed to do? I don't care.
Speaker 3: Go sit over there, do something, do nothing. I don't care.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh my god, that's our art. That is hilarious. It's hilarious on a couple ends. The obvious, which we've said a bunch of times, is just putting rules on art, is what. But then to feel like you're accomplishing something.
Speaker 3: Oh, to be so self congratulatory and self righteous.
Speaker 1: That you think you've moved forward the lives of underrepresentative people because of matching this so you can get nominated for a Best Picture. Yeah whatever.
Speaker 3: And to be so harshly judgmental of anybody who doesn't think you're doing the most valuable work on earth. Yeah, oh those people are.
Speaker 1: And then they go up there and give a speech about how awful we are. Hilarious.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine telling Sean Penny has a limp around in the last scene or something, Well, I guess that's it.