Speaker 1: I miss a green, for example, I'm already upset. When I find my ball in the bunker, I'm really upset. And when I find my ball.
Speaker 2: In a bride Egg Friday Egg, the dreaded Friday Friday, Frida Egg Egg, Fridagg Bride Egg Lie, I'm about ready to run off of the hump.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the Frida Egg Golf Podcast. I'm Garrett Morrison, and today we're doing takeaways from the twenty twenty four Masters. Later on will be joined by Andy Johnson and Shane Bacon for their takeaways. But in the meantime, Scotti Scheffler is your champion, and he completely outclassed the field on Sunday. It was an astounding display of strategy, ball striking, short game, even at times putting. This is Scotty's second major and second Green jacket, and it's hard not to project that many more major titles will be coming his way, though we should know from recent experience that nothing is guaranteed. Nonetheless, how can anyone beat Scotty Scheffler when he's playing like this? That's one of the big questions that I and my co host Joseph Lamanna will be tackling today. But first we're going to do our traditional in and out segment where we talk about what we're in on and what we're out on this week. Joseph, what are you in on?
Speaker 1: Garrett?
Speaker 4: I am in on the heightened emotions of championship golf and a lot of the moments that that provides. Guys are clearly on edge when they're playing majors, especially when the conditions are tough. It was super windy out there, it was exhausting. There are a lot of bogies. They are a lot of worse than bogie, and you saw some quite entertaining moments that made their way onto social media. I think you were particularly tickled by the Zach Johnson telling the patrons head Augusta to f Off.
Speaker 3: I mean, I loved it, and the press conference was even funnier.
Speaker 4: But those are the kinds of things that happen at major championships, right Phil at Shinnacock, I mean, Zach Johnson at Shinnacock. You get these outbursts from players that we don't see week in and week out, and maybe some of that is the increased per sizes and guys being a little bit more comfortable this year with all the money that's flown into that's flooded into professional golf, but we don't see outbursts very often. There were quite a few of them over the past few days, and I just think the heightened emotions that come with championship golf, it's something that I relish.
Speaker 3: So I'm in on that, yeah. And I think that the splitting of the main men's professional golf leagues has placed an increased intensity and focus on the majors, and so I think that we're going to see that more and more, where this kind of pent up energy is being saved for these four moments in the year. You know, Garrett, what are you went on? I'm going to slip in two here, but the first one really quick. I'm in on Tiger Woods shaking Vern Lundquist's hand behind the sixteenth green on Sunday and saying a few words loved. That got me a little teared up. You know, it's just a great moment. And if you haven't seen it, you listeners out there, go look it up somewhere. Just just do a Google search or a Twitter search or something and find that that moment between those two legends.
Speaker 4: On X and presumably Instagram ESPN posted a very cool video of that.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, a little closer up and you got a sense for the conversation. Wonderful. The main thing I'm in on is Bryson Deshambeau's new and improved attitude. Like this week, he was great. He answered all the questions from the media good naturedly, even when those questions seem to be aimed at eliciting some kind of reaction from him. He's still a goofball, but kind of in charming ways. He's not nearly as whiny and petulant on the course as I've seen him, and he struggled at times this weekend. Maybe I just missed the miss those parts, but I didn't see it as much. He was expressing gratitude to the fans on a consistent basis now a couple of caveats. Putting on this kind of performance in the limelight for a few weeks a year is easier than doing it week in week out on the PGA tour. Like right now, he is less in the spotlight than he was before, unless you're really following live closely, I suppose. But even that, it just seems it seems like there's not as much scrutiny on what the players are doing, and so that's one thing. And the other caveat is, of course still not a fan of the live affiliation or anything like that. I'm not. This is not an endorsement of him or that choice. But I just enjoyed him this week, and I thought that he showed something different, and he showed, you know, the Bryson that was in there that I suspected I would enjoy the kind of goofy, fun Bryson. He just showed that this week, as opposed to having that kind of layer of darkness over him.
Speaker 4: Garrett, I got close to writing this up, like, I think you're curious for how you feel about this. I think Bryson de Shamba is one of the most earnest and honest golfers in professional golf.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: I think he's respectfully like kind of an idiot, and a lot of the things he's earnest and honest about are quite misguided. But I genuinely think that he believes everything he's saying to his core. Like one of his answers to one of the questions that was posed in one of his post rounds at the Masters was something around him being divisive, and he was like, you know, I don't think I'm divisive at all, and he means that, like, I don't think he even realizes some of the decisions he's made, and like how it's how it has been divisive. And when he's talking about golf courses, like he fully believes what he's doing is correct. And I mean, I disagree with a lot of what Bryson says right, especially around equipment, but he does believe it, and there's something refreshing about his Candor, Joseph, what are you out on? I am out on the death of the importance of making the cut, And with so much changing in the professional golf landscape, you have the Live Tour fifty four holes, no cut events, and this is not a shot at Live because the PGA Tour and reforming its product, many of the signature events now do not have cut lines, and so we have lost the historical significance of top players going on these cut streaks. And I think we were reminded this past weekend with Tiger Woods making his twenty fourth consecutive cut at the Masters what a cut streak represents. I think they're meaningful. I think it shows that you made the weekend, you battled, maybe you were a couple off the cut line, you fought your way back, and that is now context that is going to be missing from the historical record at ninety five percent of professional golf events because cut streaks, you're just not going to be able to say anymore, Heyzander Schoffley has made, you know, thirty five cuts in a row because so many of those events are non cut events. But the Masters, in preserving its history and tradition, that's going to be one of the few places that you can say, like, there's a cut streak here, and I think it's significant. So it's sort of being in on the significance of making the cut and out on how we've kind of changed that in a lot of ways in professional golf.
Speaker 3: That's the nature of in and out. You can switch it around like that. Yeah, I mean Tiger at this point his career seems to have about thirty six holes to give, and I'm really glad that there was a cut line drama for him to engage in, because even if he was saying my intention, my only goal is to win this tournament, the cut clearly mattered, and he really put forth a monumental effort this week. On those first two days to make the cut, he played some great golf and then he was pretty exhausted after that, obviously, and did not play well on the weekend. But I'm glad that there was some intermediate goal for him to strive toward. All right, So what I'm out on, I'm going the architecture direction here. I'm out on the second hole remaining a par five. I think Augusta National should be a par seventy one. Now they're never going to do this. But you know, here's why I think this. All of the changes to that hole, including moving back to this year and pressing it to the left, have been to protect the par of five on that hole. And in the case of the second hole, these changes have not made the hole better. You know, before that a good half century ago, they put that bunker in the club, had George Cobb put in the bunker on the right side of the fairway, changing the nature of the whole a bit. They grew in the trees from the left side. All of this was done again to protect a par five that was vulnerable to scoring pretty early in its history. And I would argue that these changes haven't improved the hole. In the case of eight thirteen and fifteen, the other par fives at Augusta National, I think those holes are better as par fives because the layups on those holes are really interesting to me. The layup on the second hole isn't quite as interesting. Yeah, you want to position yourself well for a versus a left whole location, but it's nothing like what you get on eight thirteen and fifteen in terms of like a really interesting lay up zone in terms of terrain and angles and all of that. So I want those other power fives to remain par fives, and lengthening those holes is meaningful and makes them more interesting. In the case of number two, I don't think any of this has improved the whole. I think it would be a terrific long par four. And if they were to clear out some of the trees on the left, maybe even take out that bunker on the right, maybe look at restoring the original green on that hole, which was very different and kind of preferred an approach from the left side of the fairway as opposed to the right. I think you'd have a great par four. Now does do I think par matters do I think they could do all of this and keep it apart five. I would be fine with that, but the club probably wouldn't be fine with that. So I think that changing the part of the whole would allow them, would free them up just to let that hole be what it wants to be.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: So I think what I was having trouble with as you started to unpack that take a little bit was parsing out the ways the distinction of par and if that matters at all, versus improving the hole. And it sounds to me like your emphasis would be on improving the whole, Like you don't like the way that it plays right now, it's not interesting, versus if you just flipped it from a five to a four, you don't solve that problem. So fundamentally, you'd like to see that bunker remove to increase the wit there and give people more options, And it just plays better under those conditions. It doesn't play better because there's a four on the card instead of a five. Do I have that correctly?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? Yeah. The point would not be to change the par The point would be to free up the club to stop making these changes that don't improve the whole. All right, So Joseph and I in a second are going to do some takeaways from the tournament of our own before bringing on Andy Johnson and Shane Bacon for their segments. But first let's talk a little bit about Echo Golf shoes. The latest shoe from Echo Golf is the LT one. This is a sneaker style modern design, and what I like about Echo is that they always have something new up their sleeves with their designs. This year, the LT one features lytr foam you might pronounce that lighter lighter foam, which is this advanced bounce and rebound material that you'll find embedded in the sole of the shoe. What you really need to know about this stuff is that it's very flexible, very comfortable, and makes walking eighteen holes much easier than it would be otherwise. You can also wear the LT one in some serious weather because the leather upper is waterproof, not to mention very soft and durable. And finally, the Echo LT one is available in both laced and boa options, so whatever you prefer there. You know, when it comes to golf shoes, quality really matters. If you get a substandard or just average shoe, you're gonna need to replace it fairly soon. Golf shoes take a beating, but with Echo you get real quality, real durability, and a shoe that's gonna hold up against all the walking and the weather you can throw at it. And that's why players like lydia Co, Eric Van Royan and Hendrik Stenson wear this shoe. So shop the Echo LT one and other Echo products at Echo dot com. All right, Joseph, before bringing on Andy and Shane, let's do a couple of high level takeaways of our own from this Masters. What do you have right off the bat?
Speaker 4: Tell you what, Garrett. I think there's been a true changing of the guard. And one of my big takeaways from watching this Masters is that there are certain names we always associate with playing super well the Masters, and I think there are a couple new shares in town. We always think about Jordan Spieth as the Augusta specialist, and I don't mean to kick him while he's down, but missed the cut wasn't competitive this week, entering the twenty twenty four Masters, of players who had played at least eight rounds at Augusta since the start of twenty twenty one, the top two names coming into this tournament by strokes gain per round were Will's Alataurus at number one and Scotty Scheffler at number two. Those golfers, yet again finished in the top ten. Obviously Scotty one, Will's Alaturus finished tied for ninth. As we think about Augusta specialists, some of those names who we've often associated with greatness here again like speed, like a Jason Day, some of those names, I think we need to start thinking about Scotty Scheffler and Will's Alatoris as the true Augusta specialists, and I'm really excited to see what they can do in future editions of the Masters. Are going to be guys that are staples of the top ten. So that was one of my big takeaways.
Speaker 3: I want to get into Scotty Shuffler a little bit, but first tell me about Will Zelatorus. Why is he in this category?
Speaker 4: Well, coming into this Masters, he have the single best strokes gain per round at Augusta and he's only appeared here twice, finished in the top ten, both times, gaining almost three strokes per round at Augusta, and he just finished ninth again. He's one of the truly great iron players of this era, at least he has been so far in his career, and he's shown that he's really comfortable on these greens, especially with the lag putting, which is a I'm not gonna say it's an underrated skill at Augusta. I think it's pretty appropriately thought of. But Will's altaurus can handle those shots, and he's shown a lot of touch with a short game here too, hits it plenty long off the tee. He's gonna be somebody who's doing well. And he's now played here three times three top tens, really impressive. And then obviously Scotty, he's already won here twice now, so I think people are it's well established that Scotti Scheffler's really good here. But I think this Zlaturus storyline may go a little bit under the radar and people will throw around Speef and some of these other names, but it probably Will is Alaturus that you need to be talking about in that spot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's a good find there, because I think I noticed that he did well in the in his past couple of masters, but maybe not as as well as he actually did now. When it comes to Scotty, obviously an Augusta Master already. What do you think it is about his game that suits him so well to this course? If you were to, if you were to like identify one or two things.
Speaker 4: Garrett, I'll keep this as succinct as possible, But I think a very powerful and underrated topic in golf is like the conditional tense that if this happens, how do you handle it? And if this or if this happens, how do you handle it? Almost like if you're a computer programmer, you're kind of used to thinking about this, like if the user clicks on this function, here's how it responds. If there's an error, here's how we handle it. And in golf, especially at Augusta National, there's a strong relationship between your iron play and your short game. If I execute this iron shot, here's where it's gonna end up, and I'm gonna have a twelve footer or eighteen footer for birdie. If I don't, then I need to have the short game to get me out of that situation. And what's fascinating to me is that the one player that I heard articulate this is Bryson de Shamba over the weekend. I don't know if you heard this, but he said Augusta National is an intellectual golf course. It's a lot of if then else statements, and it's really interesting to me to hear somebody articulate it that way. It's definitely a way that I've long thought about golf, and I think, to answer your question, Scottie Scheffler has those if else questions answered. He's in a lie eat ball striker. He hits it far and he's magical short game. You can get away with some sloppy putting, some sloppy short range putting at Augusta. A lot of poor putters have had success there. But if I had to boil it down, that would be a somewhat succinct way of putting it.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I was thinking back on his round and trying his round today on Sunday, sinking back on that round and trying to figure out how many mistakes he made, and I came down on he was he was a bit short with his iron on one, but he was short right, which is kind of the good miss wasn't going long. He wasn't. He was never going long, which I saw quite a few players due to that back left pin position today and that's dead back there. You can't do anything all right, So that was a mistake, but it was kind of a good mistake. Then he was in the bunker, the fairway bunker on two, which is again you know, it's like not ideal, but it's not the worst mistake in the world. You just kind of get it out of the bunker and then you have an approach shot, and he ultimately made part. He wasn't striking the ball super well right at the beginning. I don't think he hit that approach very well. I forget exactly what happened with it. In any case, Then he was long on four. That was a mistake. That was like his one bad position on the whole. But I don't think that he was ever making double bogie from back there really like he'd kick kind of a middling chip, was short with it and two putt it, and it didn't really feel like he was in major threat of making double bogie. Then he was short with an iron on seven. I guess I can't really think of any other mistakes, like major mistakes, particularly in his round, and from that point on, I mean, he was conspicuously awesome, and so like, what is it about Scotty Scheffler. That allows him to get through around like that at augusta National of all places. And I think it's what you're talking about there, that that ability, that the if then else, and those answers to those questions.
Speaker 4: And it should not go without saying that Scotty understands golf courses. He understands where you can't miss and then takes it out of play and is unbelievable executing on his intended strategy. And then if if he miss fires, he's still going to be in a spot that's fine, and then he's got the short game to get himself out of that situation. So I do think it's worth calling out that we've talked a lot about Scotty's course management. Now it's become a hot topic, but like he just has this innate understanding of how to play golf courses.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, I'm going to do my takeaway fairly briefly, but this is a takeaway really about the kind of position of the Masters and the popular golf consciousness, Like it's stature as a tournament. The Masters has not been all that competitive recently, if you judge competitive by how close the contenders are to each other at the very end of the tournament. The last time we had a playoff in the Masters was twenty seventeen Justin Rose and Sergio Garcia. Twenty eighteen, Patrick Reid won by one shot over Ricky Fowler, So that was pretty close, but Ricky kind of made a charge on the back nine, and so for a lot of that day it wasn't really that didn't feel that close. Twenty nineteen, Tiger was ahead by two going into the seventy second hole and was able to play for bogie. Twenty twenty, Dustin Johnson ran away with it. Twenty twenty one Hit Deecki ahead by two going into the final hole, able to play for bogie. Twenty twenty two, Scotty was able to four putt and still win by three. Twenty twenty three, rom one by four, and this year Scotty pretty much had a stranglehold on the tournament from a men quarter forward. So hasn't been like a There haven't been huge fireworks on Sunday at the Masters recently, and yet in that time it seems like the Masters has only grown in popularity, grown in prestige, grown in stature, which I think is a tribute to the sheer quality of the tournament's execution. It's golf course, everything about what they do on site, everything they allow to happen with the telecast. It is the quality of the product and not necessarily the competitiveness of the final day that has made this tournament become more and more important and feel like more and more of an event over time.
Speaker 4: To the first point, very low variance golf course, and it allows talent to separate. So I actually don't think that we may have more blowouts and it's going to let the best golfers in the world perform. Well, maybe that won't lead to the most exciting finishes, but it is going to let the best golfers in the world win, just like we saw a Scotti. But I think what you're hitting on is a really interesting point. We've had so many arguments about golf courses and good because they produce a particular leader board or because they produce an exciting finish, and I don't think that's the right way to think about the quality of a tournament. It should be the quality of the golf and nobody does that better than Augusta National. So it's an interesting point.
Speaker 1: I like that takeaway.
Speaker 3: All right, We're going to bring on Andy Johnson in a second here for his main takeaway from this Masters. But first a word about Club Champion. Club Champion helps golfers of any skill level play better golf through custom fitted and custom built equipment. They've got extensively trained master fitters to help you out. These master fitters use an in depth, data driven tour level fitting process. They've got sixty five thousand hit able head and shaft combos at their disposal, including all of the new twenty twenty four brands, one hundred and twenty plus studios nationwide, so not really hard to find a Club Champion location. They've got industry leading technology like track Man to record your data in real time. I'm Club Champions fittings produce real results for every level of player. This includes twenty extra yards off the tee on average. They've also got a perfect fit guarantee, so if you get a Club Champion custom built club and you don't see what you saw in the hitting bay, you can go back within ninety days and get your clubs adjusted so that they perform how you expect them to. So for Friday Egg listeners, here is the deal the Club Champion is offering right now, you can use the code Frida Egg. That's all one word Frida egg to get fifty percent off the cost of your fitting with the purchase of a club. So go to club champion dot com and book You're fitting today again. That's code Frida egg, all one word. All right. We are here with Andy Johnson himself founder of the Frida Egg and are one of our on the site reporters here at the Masters. How's it going.
Speaker 5: It's great, you know, it's such a long week and it is. You're so happy to be there. It is a lot of work here, a lot of days on site, lots of days trucking around. I think like you know, as a as a media member who spend a lot of time on the golf course, you do feel the physicality of Augusta National. I think it's like it is maybe one of the underrated features of Augusta National. You know, one of the great architects of the Golden Age, William Flynn, used to always write about how he believed that a golf course should be a physical test as well as, you know, a test of golf skill and in many other things. But the physicality of Augusta National is no joke. And at the end of the week you stand up and you feel it in your legs.
Speaker 4: Do you think that like you're gonna that's going to change the way you approach your preparation for Augusta National each year and be getting on the stairstepper and you know, the same way that tie your woods limps.
Speaker 3: This man, this man ran ran a marathon.
Speaker 5: I ran I'm I ran a marathon five weeks ago, so I think I was prepared for it.
Speaker 3: So you were doing a little bit better than Tiger with with walking the hills out there.
Speaker 5: In other words, yeah, yeah, I I am doing better than him. I mean, it's crazy how it's like seemingly like a two round governor with Tiger at this point where he goes out and he shoots even par for two rounds and then it's just like the wheel.
Speaker 1: And I understand why.
Speaker 5: I understand why, but it's crazy to me that it's just like two rounds, you know, and he shoots these scores and he makes the cut and you're like, I mean, like on Friday.
Speaker 1: It wasn't crazy. I don't think Tiger.
Speaker 5: Wasn't out of contention on Friday, like he would have been a long shot, but you had to think that the people at plus one had a shred of chance if they played a great weekend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that's insane to me.
Speaker 5: That then it's not insane, it's just, you know, it's just a crazy era of Tiger. And don't I don't know if four rounds is really in the cards anymore. And I think it's like, it's not unfair to ask that question.
Speaker 3: You know what it kind of makes me excited for in a weird way, is tgl Because I mean, my interest in golf that's not on a golf course is fairly limited. But to the extent that I'm interested in it, I'm interested to see Tiger hit golf shots without needing to walk the course. I think that that could be really interesting because he proves every time he makes the cut at the Masters on one leg or maybe like a half a lie, that he can still hit wonderful golf shots. That's not really the question. The question is how much can his body bear in between shots?
Speaker 5: Hey, do you think do you think that makes you a Jupiter Links fan?
Speaker 3: You know, I'm gonna have to learn the names of the teams, because the only one I know at this point is the Boston Ballfrogs. And I know there's a New York team with legendary New Yorkers Andrew Schoffle on it, but otherwise completely ignorant. So I'm gonna have to figure out my affiliation. Maybe we can do a podcast about that. Why don't we get into some stuff here. Let's get into your into one of your big overarching takeaways, Andy, and see where it goes from there.
Speaker 5: I know you guys have already talked about Scotty, but it's hard for that not to be the overarching takeaway. I just I think, like my biggest takeaway is I get there.
Speaker 1: They're twined. We'll do like the golf course.
Speaker 5: I think, like everybody, we obsess over this idea that Augusta National is this. You know, we talk about for weeks leading in what's the trait that you needed Augusta National approach?
Speaker 1: Play it? It's this, It's this, And.
Speaker 5: At the end of the day, what you needed, Augusta National is you need to be really good at everything. Because over the course of seventy two holes, especially this week in the firmness and with the firmness, the pace of the golf course, and just how unrelenting it was for these guys. You have to be without weakness because of that golf course. Just as soon as you're uncomfortable, it prays on it. And it's it's an amazing golf course in the sense that you have these shots that are ridiculously hard, and you know they're ridiculously hard, but the only way to accomplish them is to swing without fear, without anything in your head, any clutter in your head. And I think Scotty, it's just like amazing to see how many fairways he hits, like he's always in play off the tee. Seemingly he's the best iron player in the world right now. I don't think it's a stretch to say that he's, you know, in the top three or four in short game. And the only thing that's a little bit shaky is the putter, which has been a lot better since he switched to the mallet. And I think, like you go out there and I think the I think the players know that Scotty's better than them.
Speaker 1: I think the.
Speaker 5: Players all the way up to the very very best players in the world know that Scotti Scheffler is the best player in the world right now. And I don't think we've really been here. We've been in this place since Tiger Woods, whereas you know, and I think like Rory probably had it in twenty fourteen. I think that's that's that's one place that we had it. But other than that, we haven't seen this where I think other players in the locker room, like elite players, top fifteen players, know that Scotty Scheffler's better at golf than them.
Speaker 4: Any I don't know how much time you spent in Scotty Scheffler's group over the past few days, but one thing that stands out to me about Scotty kind of goes along with his mindset and how he thinks about a lot of things and just controlling what he can control. But Scotty seems to flush bad shots out of his memory so quickly and follow up a bad shot with something that's just flawlessly executed. It kind of goes to what you're saying, if you're uncomfortable and it things can unravel on you. Scotty doesn't let that happen. He followed up a bad bogie on seven with a string of birdies over his next nine holes. Curious if you saw any moments from him where you thought like, well, maybe there's a crack in the foundation here, and then he just followed it up by flushing a shot. Because I feel like that's the story of Scotty Scheffler in the last four days.
Speaker 5: I thought the moment was on Saturday after he made a double on ten, and you know, it was just it was kind of shaky there.
Speaker 1: He bogeyed was it eleven? Also?
Speaker 5: Uh so you finished, he went double and then bogie and it kind of looked like he was escorting himself out of the tournament.
Speaker 1: And and then.
Speaker 5: You know, he gets he missed the green on twelve and it's like okay, like this guy's on the ropes and it you know, I think part of this is that nobody took the ball and ran, you know. The I think like everybody was kind of stuck in neutral that was that was there. The only person moving up the leaderboard on Saturday was more Kawa, but like Homa was kind of stuck and Ludwig obviously moved up. Homa was stuck Bryce and was going backwards like and Scott, he's in the spot and then you know, he rolls in an eagle pot. I mean he rolls in twenty five foot or for eagle, and it's like, oh, never mind, he's back. It's and it's just you know, there was an air of inevitability on Thursday. I mean you walk around the media center and people are like, this tournament's already over because they see him there.
Speaker 1: And I think that that.
Speaker 5: Is starting to circulate in the locker room, and that's very Tiger like. I don't think you can say this, he's not. People are gonna rush to say like he's the next Tiger. And I a patron was telling me this. A young patron was telling me this, and I'm like, well, you know, Scotty's a lot older than when Tiger started doing this. And you know, I don't I don't think it's necessarily like fair to call him that, you know this this much in but I think there's like a real Tiger like quality because like, listen, like he he made that run and it was a tie ball game. Everybody had a good chance, and he makes this run, he makes three birdies and then like within minutes of each other, everybody he falls apart.
Speaker 3: That's the thing is that, you know, yes, unbelievably dominant, surely competent performance from Scotty Scheffler on Sunday. And competent, I'm not using as like, you know, faint praise or anything. His game was just so together, and yet he did bogey the eleventh hole. He did hit a couple of squirrely irons on the first couple of holes that there was a window.
Speaker 1: Right the eleventh hole was masterful, though.
Speaker 5: He hit the approach exactly where he you know, you just watched two of the last four the two of the four competitors that had a shot hit it the one place he can't hit it on that hole, Scotty hit it exactly where he was aiming, Like, I'm convinced that he hit it exactly where he was looking, because that ball ended in a spot that there was no possible realm of outcomes that he was going to walk away with more than worse than a five.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but in any case, it was a bogue. He didn't get up and down from there. But basically as soon as he walked off the eleventh green, everybody else had backed up three or four steps. You know, Scotty may have backed up one step on eleven, very tough hole understandable to do that. But then all around him Morikawa in the pond, Aberg before him in the pond, Homa on twelve, over the green in the bushes, so people kind of cleared the space for him, and from that point on it was just like that there was no chance.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Did you get the impression Andy that when you were on site, by the time Scotty Shuffler was walking out of Amen corner, that it was just over like there was there was no chance.
Speaker 5: I mean, the way you put the gas pedal down was super impressive and didn't give up. I will say to me something stood out on Sunday that the second most complete player in contention was Ludwig. He seems to be like, to me, one of the players that could match Scottie Colin morikawaan is in his post round presser, uh he or not press or just like scrum the little quick quotes area, uh he. He kind of talked about how Scotty is just better than him. You know, it was very revealing the quotes, you know, about how he's hitting less clubs, how how he's so good, like his short game is so good, and I think, like, to me, the the person that was up for the task, and I don't think it was a mistake. I think it was just a bad swing. The cost him was lud Big.
Speaker 3: Do you want to talk about Oberg a little bit, because you know, I think he's the other big story. How much golf did you watch from from lud Big this week?
Speaker 5: I watched a good amount today and I think that's like obviously, I mean, you're talking about a guy that last year was playing I think in the Thunderbird the ASU tournament this weekend, and now I'm not sure exactly where in the world rankings he's gonna go. I'm assuming he's gonna be about six or so. He's sixth, let's see, he's seventh in the world rankings. And he's made his debut at of course that's been very, very difficult for players to debut at. He makes his major and Masters debut and finish finish his second solo second. I just I it was pretty unbelievable.
Speaker 1: I think like.
Speaker 5: We have a tendency in the media of heaping like unrealistic expectations on people, and I think that's gonna happen with with loud Big. But maybe he's ready for it, and the golf swing seems so simple, The short game looks tidy, the putting stroke looks good, and I just I think the there's I think this is just gonna be more though of what's coming. To be completely honest, I think there's so much talent in the young ranks of golf that we're gonna see more and more players like Ludvig on that.
Speaker 4: Not to jump around too much, but to go back to Scotty for a second, this is the most confident I've been in a player to rack up more major championship trophies over the next five years than like anybody in recent memory. But at the same time, the history of golf is that anytime you feel that way, like it always ends up proving you wrong and golfers fall apart like that, it just happens. I mean, Andy, where are you on like the certainty of Scheffler's career, because there's so many lessons that we should be cautious with this, But I'm like, I think Scotty's gonna win two more Green jackets.
Speaker 5: So since since twenty twenty two Phoenix, he's won five PGA Tour events, just like, you know, a couple signature events. I think there's a playoff event in there. So he went to Arnold Palmers, a waste management that had stack Field, and then I think he won another playoff event. But then he has two players and two masters in that time. If I was going to say it, like setting over under, if I said five and a half majors, what side of it would you take?
Speaker 4: It's such recency bias, But I'm I'm so tempted to take. I'm pretty tempted to take the over on that, and I know that that's the side that I shouldn't take. But I think Scotty's gonna win at least one more masters. I feel confident in that, and to get three more somewhere else feel very reasonable to me, how about you, Garrett?
Speaker 3: I never know what to say to these questions, because there are so many, so many examples of predicting that players are going to win a certain amount of majors that now seem utterly ridiculous in retrospect. And maybe that's the point an exercise like this, to create some tape that can be used later and be laughed at. Yeah, just just jam me up, you know. But Yeah, I mean, I feel like he's heading towards the over like, doesn't doesn't it feel like Scotty Shuffler should be headed towards a Tom Watson type major record kind of? At least doesn't it feel like his form, his game is more impressive than Brooks Koepkaz.
Speaker 1: What would you say?
Speaker 3: Doesn't it feel Doesn't it feel like he's a more complete player than than Rory McElroy. I don't know. This is all we're living in our current moment. Back in twenty fourteen, it felt like Rory was gonna win ten majors, that he was the heir apparent, he was the guy after Tiger, And it hasn't worked out that way, at least so far. He's got some time left. But yeah, I mean, have we had a player, even Rory in the midst of his twenty fourteen run, Have we had a player like where when he starts rolling before the tournament, you're saying, I don't I don't think anybody but Scotty's gonna win this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I I I'm going to take the under.
Speaker 1: Because there's no danger in it.
Speaker 5: Well, it's just hard, yes, when you're talking about winning winning six majors. He's had two, and it's not like getting the two has been easy for him, you know, it's twice he's been The thing that that gives you reason for it is that he's never not going to be around. I think he's played fifteen majors since twenty twenty, so, like, you know, not like that's we're at almost four years or we're at four plus years of majors, fifteen majors, and he's got he's got ten top tens, so like, you know, he's going to be there. Sixty six percent of the time he's finishing top ten in majors, so he's gonna be there. But winning these is really hard, and there are like breaks that go along the way with winning these. And you know, I just think about, like the start to the tournament, how his ball stayed on that bank and he and he chips and he holds a bunker shot on twelve. If that ball doesn't hit the cup, and I know it did. If that ball doesn't hit the cup, it's a bogie, and he makes probably another bogie, and that's literally four shots. He has this amazing way and this could be just a knack. The other day on Saturday, he started, he he didn't hit any like any good shots the first three holes and he was two under except for like a putt, you know, he had he hold a bunker, hold a chip shot off the green on one for birdie, and then he makes like a twenty five footer on two, and somehow it's almost Jordan Speith like. And this is why I think like the short game just doesn't get talked about as much as it should. It's always about the irons and well deserved, like he's a great iron player. But what one of the tournament where he played these three hole stretches, the three hole stretch to start Saturday. Somehow he played it two under despite not hitting good golf shots. And then on Thursday you talk about the stretch of twelve and thirteen when he hit some kind of shaky shots. He played so good that day, but he hit a couple of loose shots, and it's like most players walk through get through that and they're too over on that stretch.
Speaker 1: He got really lucky by.
Speaker 5: That ball not going in the water, but like most players are too over through that stretch, he's two under, like he just has this. It's the same thing when you go back to that Masters win two years ago when he chipped in on three, Like he just has he has beyond all the skills, he has a he just has a way with the moment. You know, whenever it feels like it's on the ropes, he does something miraculous.
Speaker 1: Today.
Speaker 5: I really thought like he wasn't playing great, and then he hit that rope hook on eight and it just started this run, that eight, nine to ten run that just was like that just set set up the win.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, Scotty Scheffler certainly seems to have a knack for winning golf tournaments. When he's in contention. It's hard to think of many tournaments that he's kind of pissed away. But you know, he's emerging as one of these historically great players at Augusta National potentially or a generationally great player at Augusta National. And this brings up the subject of the course itself, right, you'd refer to this a bit earlier, Andy, I wonder if you want to expand on your thoughts a little bit about what you saw at Augusta National this week from the golf course. This is probably the best version of it that that you've seen on site.
Speaker 5: Right, yeah, I mean I can't think of the last time we had augusta national firm. You know, it's been kind of plagued by rain. We've had like a firm day here, a firm day there. I mean this year we got like three really firm days. I think Thursday was fairly firm too. And obviously you had the wind. You have like a great mixture of wind weather, and then today you had the ability for people to go out and make some birdies. It still was so hard. I just think that this golf course when it's when it's firm, it has it. I mean, there's nowhere to hide out there.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 5: We we romanticize the the McKenzie and and some of the stuff that they've lost over time with with renovations that have been geared towards championship play. But it shows like what a golf course that has great owned has the financial means can do to stay relevant with technology. And there's only really one place that can do this, but this golf course. To me, I after seeing it this week, I don't think there's anything that like is even close as good of a test as this place that was.
Speaker 4: A big takeaway for me andy some the winner was at eleven under right and second place was at seven under. We had a golf course that's been lengthened so many times over the years. They unveiled a new tea box on number two this year. Last year was number thirteen that had been lengthened a bunch like the only place in the world you can do this is at Augusta National. And how the resources, the wealth they have to put this together. The takeaway I don't think should be like, see, professional golf is in a great spot right now, we don't need to roll the ball back.
Speaker 5: I think the take is I might have I might have had somebody affiliated with the equipment and say that to me today.
Speaker 3: And that's an example of why why you shouldn't roll it back. That's that's that's I really do believe. That's such a time I think, I think.
Speaker 1: I want to say that I think it was a joke.
Speaker 4: Fair, But I do think this this tournament should be an insight into what elite professional golf looks like and that we haven't seen much of it recently, and what it takes to put on such an elite test for the best golfers in the world. It takes an inordinate amount of resources land. The land has to be there, you have to buy land. Like that should be a huge takeaway for people from this championship.
Speaker 5: Yeah, one thing you didn't hit on was like extraordinary golf design too, sure like it that should not be forgotten, like all the resources everything. What Augusta Nationals started with was a great golf course that continues to be a great golf course.
Speaker 1: And you know they're.
Speaker 5: Just it's just such a I mean, what's amazing about it is like I just don't think you can really hide anything, especially over the course of the entire tournament. What you don't want to do, you're eventually gonna have to do out there. We talked on the shotgun start a little bit, like is Pinehurst similar? I think Pinehurst's a great test, but like you saw that Kimer could put his way around there without having to chip at Augusta, like you can't survive without chipping. If you could, Lee Westwood would have like four Masters wins. And I think like if you think about like the players, like I thought markwa got a little bit of exposed today. I thought Max Homa played he had his best Major championship performance, but on the weekend it was very clear he didn't have the horsepower to keep up with Scotty, and I think the only one that was standing there at this point. And I think like other players, if they were in better form, John Rahm, Rory McElroy could have hung in the similar situation with Ludwig. But how many players in this field do you think could have gotten to eleven this week if they were playing great?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I mean, that's the thing about Scotty is that his great is a pretty high bar to clear for anybody else, even if they're super hot. You know. An example of what you're talking about that I saw during the play on Sunday, the kind of complete test that Augusta National gives is on the thirteenth hole, where really in order to attack that hole you need to hit some kind of right to left shape off the tee. Scotty steps up there and he never like his ball, doesn't like move a lot with his driver, but he's able to kind of get it to nudge in one direction or the other. He nudged it to the left on thirteen and got in a good position. Colin Morikawa stepped up there and hit a fade just like really tight along that left tree line and managed to sneak it into the fairway. But it was clear like the margin was very very slim for that shot, and that was the shot he had. He wasn't going to be hitting a draw even on that hole, And you know, I think I think that that kind of thing is sort of why we saw Morikawa falter today, because he just didn't quite have the array of answers that Scotty did.
Speaker 1: And gear on that.
Speaker 4: I think we talked so much about curving the ball right to left and how important that is off tease at Augusta, you also have to be able to do that on some of your iron shots, Like I think the eleventh hole, the approach shot into eleven is a great example of where you do need to turn it from right to left, because if you try to hit some kind of cut that you can come over the top, pull it left into the water, hit some kind of wipe y shot way short right, the best players at playing on that hole hit a hard, long iron draw that starts a little bit right of that green. So I think there's just so many instances of variety on this golf course.
Speaker 5: Kalm Rkaus said in his post pressor he said, just about this what you guys are talking about. But to see what he's doing with his irons is crazy impressive because he's hitting every shot, he's moving both directions and it's something that I admired that hopefully I can get my game back to that kind of spot.
Speaker 3: He's talking about Scotty.
Speaker 1: I mean, you're talking about it's.
Speaker 3: Talking about Scotty. Yeah, and he's not there, that's what he's saying. I'm not there right now, which is kind of an amazing admission.
Speaker 5: And you're talking about a guy that is probably one of the four three or four, like I would say, Scotty Tiger Xala Taurus, Colin Morikawa, those are those are like the four people on the planet that are the best at hitting irons.
Speaker 1: And he's like, I just, I.
Speaker 5: Mean, like, how many times in his life has has Colin moricaw have been like, you know what, that guy's a better iron player than me.
Speaker 3: I mean, clearly he couldn't have said that a couple of years ago, when when Morikawa is far and away the best iron player in the world. But also something to keep in mind here, is that Morikawa has two majors and he's talking about Scotty Shuffler like he's Superman.
Speaker 5: Roughly, yeah, roughly the same age U two majors. I think they're a year apart in age. They have the you know, the same amount of majors, about the same amount of PGA tour wins too. But I think like something that you know, I I'm I'm probably more guilty than anybody on the planet at banging on the Players. I'm gonna steal your your your take, Garrett, what if the Players is worth a half of major, then Sky's at three? It feels like Sky's at three.
Speaker 3: It does. Yeah, I still stand by that take. I think if you if you work out the numbers, if you go through the history of the players and apportion the half majors accordingly, that you'll get a lot of numbers that kind of make sense for people like you know, Adam Scott and in this case, Scotty Scheffler.
Speaker 5: So because that's the thing that these guys are have like basically the same resume. If you don't do that, and then it's like, but that doesn't seem right.
Speaker 3: It doesn't seem right. Yeah, but you know Scotty has gone. It's funny how this run is so similar to the run that he went on in twenty twenty two, and so it just generates this extra question of is the putter gonna hang together? Are we going to see this run extend beyond the length of run that we've seen from Scheffler before and the length of run that we've seen recently from players like John Rum you know where for about what six months, Guy's unbelievable and then regresses a little bit. Scotti Scheffler did the same thing at the beginning of twenty twenty two, and so how confident are we that he's going to keep this rolling?
Speaker 5: Well, Garrett, this is the beauty of golf. The beauty of golf is that when you have it going, you never think it's going to leave, and then when you don't have it, you think you're never going to find it again. So this is like just the pure essence of golf, and us as commentators fall so often into the trap of a writing people off when they don't have it.
Speaker 1: Oh he's done. He may never get it.
Speaker 5: And I think like a lot of people probably are feeling that way about like Rory McElroy right now, Jordan Speith where they like they they're a little bit out of not there, even though Rory like has had two of the closest calls in the last two years of winning majors.
Speaker 1: On the flip side, you.
Speaker 5: Also get in this place where it's like, you know, Scotty, Scotty made ever lose again. He might he might do the Grand Slam, And I like, I think after watching this, like, what is Scotty's odds opening up at Valhalla?
Speaker 1: Like, is he gonna?
Speaker 5: I mean he was four to one this week, so he's four to one. These are like the highest odds that we've ever seen or lowest I guess would be lowest odds we've ever seen really since Tiger Joseph. What what do you think odds wise, we're looking at a Valhalla?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 5: Are we gonna get to like an I mean Tiger famously, like the even money stuff was nuts? Are we getting to like two to one or three to one?
Speaker 4: I think we could potentially get if we were to play this over again, I think he could be like maybe two to one. Augusta's a low variance golf course in a smaller field. I would guess if Valhalla, he'll be like four to one. That would be my guess. In an open championship, you have the wind, you have wave splits. I think we're gonna see a lot of Scotti Scheffler in the four to five to one range, and then maybe if he's in formed coming into Augusta next year, back down to like two to three to one, which is crazy. Those are numbers that I didn't even really think was gonna be in store for anybody over the past couple of years. But I think those will realistically be I'd be shocked if he gets lower than two to one at any tournament. If he does, I mean, that's just completely bananas.
Speaker 5: I think, like if you were wanted to like kind of dig in on Scotty, yeah, and like any like potential world. But like I think the putting's the one thing that people are going to look at and say, like this could hold him back. But like I mean, life is easy for Scotti Scheffler right now. He's having a kid though, like you know, like I'm not saying like the kids could ruin, but like you just think about, like golf's really easy when your life's really easy. If that gets like it all like makes it It's just gonna be different. You're gonna be and I it can be like I think like kids sometimes make golfers better, so this could make him even better. But it's just another variable for Scotty to deal with. Like I don't think it, you know, I think it's gonna be a great moment for him, and like I'm very happy for him, you know, But like that is that will be a question of like, you know, how's how do you handle being a father and a pro golfer.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 5: Pro golf is like very like it's about being unself It's about being very unselfish, and it's it's a it's an individual personal pursuit.
Speaker 3: You mean, it's it's about being very selfish.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very selfish. My bad.
Speaker 5: But yeah, so that's that's something that you have to have to like possibly put in there. I don't think, I like, I don't think it's going to affect him, but it is just another variable.
Speaker 3: Andy, thanks for coming on the pod. I'm going to let you get back to a little.
Speaker 1: Bit of writing here, all right. Thanks.
Speaker 3: Garrett joining us from Atlanta, Georgia, where he is in his hotel room after a spectacular week of calling. The action on the featured group's stream on Masters dot Com is, of course, Shane Bacon, Shane, how are you doing, Buddy Good?
Speaker 2: Long week, fun week, best week of my year. It's been my favorite golf tournament for a long time. I mean, I balance it with the Open. Every year I think we would get to July, it ends up being the Open. But it was a great week, my big So I have a takeaway from this week, and I think a part of it is the guy I watched today. So we had Neil Shipley in the group of Tiger right, the low amateur, and I talked him on Tuesday, and I remember I walked away from it. He was really confident and he had this extreme He wasn't nervous like I interviewed him for paying. We did like ten minutes or fifteen minutes or something. He was super chilled out. He was really easy going. And then he goes out there and he plays well in the first round and I was not surprised by that. Then he makes the cut, which the cut was pretty high played solid enough to make the cuts. That's good. You know, the cut the Masters isn't impossible to make, but he played well, but we have him on Sunday and he's playing with Tiger And first thing first is he goes up to Tiger at the range and said what's up to him? Which I thought was amazing. I mean, what twenty three year old kid would do something like that. And then he misses a five foot on one and I was like, all right, well, like this kid's gonna shoot ninety. You know, it's fine, Like it's fine if he shoots ninety, it happens. I mean, people, it's a big moment. There's a lot of people around. And then he played the next seventeen holes even par. And my takeaway between this kid who's still a amateur that's gonna turn pro, and then Ludwig and his first major is literally in contention with seven holes play. This youth thing is serious business right now. And Scotty is the best golfer in the world. But you know, you get this sense right now that there's a changing of the guard on the PGA Tour. And Jordan played awful this week. JT played bad, bad, bad down the Street. It's the weirdest miscut maybe in Master's history. Right, These guys that we expect to be playing well at this time in their career are just not as good as this young crop. And I am so impressed by the confidence, the composure, the way these young dudes aren't scared of anything and just want to go out there and play good golf. I just feel like this is the start of it, and there's going to be more of these dudes that are twenty and twenty one and twenty two that are ouber talented and expect to be good right away. And that's my takeaway is Scotty is here and the next layer is below him. Much much for the down, But Shipley and Ludwig are aren't the only guys that are going to be available here at this age. We are going to get more and more of these dudes that are unbelievable at twenty one years old, that are going to potentially win majors at that age.
Speaker 3: You know, do you think that we'll start to see guys turning pro earlier as these returns keep coming in for guys who are twenty twenty one, twenty two years old. Ludwig is twenty four. I mean, having this kind of success in your early twenties kind of a new thing. So are we seeing a change here with when guys turn pro.
Speaker 2: Do you think I think there's a chance you might see people turn pro a little bit earlier. I mean, you know, like you look at somebody like like Joaque Neeman and he's playing five Masters. He's twenty five years old, you know, I mean he turned pro early, and you know he's obviously developed into a really good player. My point is more the young guys not needing a year or two to feel comfortable in what they're trying to do. It feels like they arrive at a stage and there isn't a fear of anybody. And I think that's more my point versus like there's gonna be seventeen or eighteen year old kids that maybe play in a US Open or play in a big moment event. Not all of them, but there'll be a couple of them that play extremely well and like potentially might win. I just feel like this sport is getting younger because they're teaching this kind of hard ass view of who you are, and even if you're smiling and chilling out like Ludvig's, ability to just stay in the moment is is a is a veteran thing to learn and he's twenty four.
Speaker 5: Shane.
Speaker 4: I feel like with Jordan Spief and some of his peers, we sort of had a similar conversation, like some of these young guys are really coming out ready to win right away. Do you feel like this is different or do you think every you know, five to eight years, we're just gonna cycle through a new crop of these young talented players. Maybe careers are going to get a little bit shorter. Does this feel different to you?
Speaker 2: I think it feels different because of the skill set that the young guys have. Jordan's Speed's skill set was he was able to golf better than everybody else, but golf, as you know, Joseph, more than anybody. Golf has changed so much that it's it's power power power. It's learned how to hit it dead straight in three point thirty and if you can do that consistently, you can kind of learn the other stuff. And I just feel like being able to hit it past everybody you're playing with gives you this kind of what is it machismo or whatever you want to call it, that that you're you're equal to or better than X. And you know, like I mean these like Christo played with these pros the other day he's hitting it three seventy, Like he doesn't know what to golf better than they do, but he knows that when he sees what they're able to do, he can learn it pretty quickly because he's got this incredible jumping ability. Or you know, this fastball that nobody can catch up with, and it's like, you throw it one oh five or whatever, I'll teach you how to to a curveball.
Speaker 3: You know, yeah, you know. As it pertains to Ludwig, everything he says, everything he does is state of the art. He is a product of all these advances that we've seen recently in golf instruction, how to swing, how to approach the game mentally, how to really do everything in a big time golf tournament to put yourself in a position to win. The way he talks about his approach is just spot on right. And a lot of these guys are like that. They grew up with that, and that's just such a huge advantage.
Speaker 4: Do you think that ten to fifteen years from now, we're still going to talk about experience at Augusta the same way that we do now, or do you think that the narrative is going to change to where these young golfers are so ready to play. Shane, that experience they're going to learn within a year or two a they need to do on this golf course. What's your opinion on that?
Speaker 2: I totally agree with you. I mean I remember this earlier in this week. I was talking to somebody and I said, this crop of first timers is so good. I would not be shocked if one of them won. And I mean this was four or five names. I mean, Hoyguard played great for whatever thirty eight forty holes or whatever the case may be. It's these guys were right there and it you know, like, yeah, they don't need to they don't need to spend like six months talking to somebody about the golf course. It's like, oh I can I can get here in two and I just hit it on the green and if I three put whatever. It's it's just the power game. You know. What's so crazy, Joseph is I've been doing featured groups now, I think for four years I saw one person lay up on three and it was actually the amateur is the only iron I saw a hit on three for the week three years ago, calling this tournament it would be fifty to fifty, you know. I mean I don't have the data to back it up, but just by my memory, it would be you'd have three guys on it and one or two of the guys with iron every round and like literally one dude this week did it?
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: It just it's crazy that it feels like it's termed this much, this fast. But you know, you look at what Max Homa didn't do on Sunday, right, he kind of scaled back on a couple of swings that he wasn't comfortable with and he couldn't get to the par fives and two. These guys kind of don't do that, you know, I mean, for better or worse, Like, even if they make a bad swing, I don't really think it bothers him that much. I mean, Bryson in a way is the first level of this. But the thing about Bryson too is Bryson was this brilliant golfer that leaned into the power thing. These kids are just power from the star.
Speaker 3: All right, Shane, we'll send you out of.
Speaker 2: Here, but sorry about my wife.
Speaker 3: Oh no, no problem. We made it through. But one one more question before you go, since you were on the featured group's stream this whole week and great job, by the way, you guys always kill it on that. It's a lot of fun to listen to. Great kind of way to wake up on the weekend in particular. But was there a moment during your coverage that you think maybe didn't get enough play but really struck you in some way?
Speaker 2: Well, did you guys see the did they show on the main telecast the video when Rory popped Harry in the face or no, it was.
Speaker 4: I was watching the amen corner feed, I believe when that came up. I'm not sure that ever made it to the main feed.
Speaker 3: That was funny.
Speaker 2: Oh, so that was that was awesome. I mean, he smoked him in the face, Garretty, he pulled the club up I think it was on fifteen or maybe maybe maybe thirteen or something, and just just absolutely just mashes Harry in the face, just straight up or cuts him. And it was just so funny because you could see they were so focused on this shot and they just both broke, you know, and it was a it was a pretty good moment. So it was funny. Our producer was auto replay on that. He's like, we'll see that again. And I was like, nice, dude. So that's a not very serious moment, but god, it made me laugh a lot.
Speaker 3: Shane, thank you so much for coming on the podcast. Great to hear from you as always.
Speaker 2: Thank you guys.
Speaker 3: All right, Joseph and I are back to do our final segment recommendations. Joseph, what are you recommending this week?
Speaker 4: I'm super psyched for the NBA playoffs, Garrett starts this week. We have the play in games on Tuesday and Wednesday night. The NBA has kind of tweaked their format a little bit with their season over the last few years, and this play in format has worked out super well for them. They're really exciting games and then you launch right into the rest of the playoffs. So like I'm setting a clock to the Tuesday and Wednesday night games. I can't wait. So we've got a lot of good to win playoff basketball coming. Catch me up here. I haven't followed Nuggets. You think are still favored Nuggets? I mean Nuggets really good chance. The Nuggets are coming out of the West, that's my picks, come out of the West, and the Celtics are the clear favorites to come out of the East. So there's a good chance we'll get another Nugget Celtics rematch. But the West is much deeper, so you could it's a little more up in the air on the West.
Speaker 3: I saw the Nuggets live. My son and I went to a Trailblazers game, and Trailblazers games these days are really about going to see the other team, unfortunately, but we got to see the Nuggets and they are kind of a magical basketball team. Just you know, what Jokic does is so unique. I've never seen a player like him, and just watching the way he kind of conducts the floor on offense is fascinating.
Speaker 4: So Garrett, sorry not to interrupt you, but last year I wanted to dig this up. I wrote a thing for Friday about how Scheffler reminds me of Jokic. Do you does that resonate with you at all? From watching it in person? I just feel like the distinct skill set, it doesn't look it can look a little bit funky, but they're absolutely magically.
Speaker 3: And they both kind of have that blocky build to them. That's what's that's what's really clicking for me right now, is that, like, although obviously Jokic is a lot bigger by a scale of a lot. They they both they're genius. They're both they're geniuses, and they you know, Scheffler kind of compared to most golfers is kind of like a bigger and heftier build. But what's so cool about his game is his hands, and that kind of is like Jokic, where the guy just takes up so much space on the floor. You look at him, he's the biggest dude on the floor. But what makes him special is like the little touch things that he does.
Speaker 4: Yeah, past, Yeah, you wouldn't expect scheffer to have as good a short game as he has, maybe, and you wouldn't expect Nicole Jokic to be one of the best passers in the history of the NBA. So I feel like there's no mention there.
Speaker 3: My recommendation is an odd one because I'm not recommending something I like here. But I just want to get people to watch this thing and like vibe with me about it, like get back to me about what you think. The movie You've Got Mail, the rom com starring Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan from the late nineties about two people who kind of hate each other in real life but are secretly conducting a kind of romantic type thing over email. I watched this movie a couple of days ago, expecting kind of a comfort watch. I hadn't seen it in maybe about twenty twenty five years, whenever it came out. I watched it then and hadn't watched it since. This might be the single darkest movie I've ever seen in my life. It is so dark and depressing. The central romance is full of kind of manipulation and gaslighting and just weird stuff. And then the overarching theme of the movie is basically about how corporations and the Internet have ruined all of our lives. And so I think that's what this movie is about. And I can't decide if it's like a brilliant commentary by Nora Efron on the downfall of civilization in the late twentieth century, or if it's just this movie that's completely unaware of its own darkness. And I just would recommend that people check it out and come to their own conclusions about it, and maybe, you know, if you have your own impressions, get back to me about what you think. What do you think of that recommendation? Joseph been recommended like that on this podcast before.
Speaker 4: No, But that's that's the fun Like occasionally when we do this segment, somebody will tweet or like message me, like, oh, I listened to that album you recommended, really liked it.
Speaker 1: I like this.
Speaker 4: Hey, will you come commiserate with me and tell me that you also hated this recommendation. This is a new brand, and I'm very.
Speaker 3: The funny thing is, I'm not sure if I hate it or if I kind of respect it for being this weird kind of you know, trenchant commentary on society disguised as a fluffy romantic comedy.
Speaker 4: I'm not I'm sounds like you're leaning.
Speaker 1: I think you're leading.
Speaker 3: I think I do hate it. Actually, all right, Joseph, that's good for this episode. Thank you as always for joining me for the Master's Takeaway episodes. Always such a delight to do these with you, and make sure to get some sleep tonight.
Speaker 4: Thanks for having me here at you too.
Speaker 3: This episode of the Frida Egg Golf podcast was produced by Matt Ruschius. This week, of all weeks, Matt did a lot of hard work behind the scenes producing videos and other things. Cameron Hurtis did a great job taking photographs on site at Augusta National. A lot of the folks who work for Frida Egg Golf are not necessarily on the podcast, and you know, out out in front and do just wonderful work producing our content, and I want to make sure that people know about them because they do such great work. So that's my shout out for this outro. Thanks to the whole team. It was a great masters. Thank you for listening to this episode out there, and we'll be back soon with another