Speaker 1: On this August second, Team USA has increased its lead in the overall Olympic medal count.
Speaker 2: That's right, the United States has now won thirty seven medals so far and racking up the gold. That total now at nine. Home team France is next with twenty seven medals, followed by China with twenty four.
Speaker 1: And with that, welcome to this Tea from Pari edition of Amy and TJ. Again not married to that name Tea from Pari, but folks, some own biles put a new gold medal and a new diamond necklace around her neck yesterday and both made clear she is the greatest of all time.
Speaker 2: That she is. Plus, speaking of women making history, Katie Ledecki has won her thirteenth Olympic medal, officially making her the most decorated American woman in Olympic history, earning a silver medal in the four x two hundred meter freestyle relay. And guess what, She's not done yet. She is the heavy favorite to win another gold this weekend.
Speaker 1: And a major Olympic controversy to tell you about after a female boxer quit her match in just forty six seconds, with some claiming that she was fighting a he as a heated and now ugly gender debate has erupted with the likes of Elon Musk and JK Rowling chiming in we'll.
Speaker 2: Explain and concern on the court as the state of Novak djokovic surgically repaired rtney is in question after he beat a twenty four time Grand Slam champion. Now the question today is how will he compete as he takes on Lorenzo Mussetti of Italy in the semifinals. Djokovic is making his fourth attempt for his first Olympic gold medal.
Speaker 1: And our eyes are watching live. Don't know what most people are doing. Have you talked to friends and whatnot? Do you know if a lot of people are watching live or most people are waiting for primetime?
Speaker 2: I think it's a little mixture of both, and it might depend on what you do for a living man.
Speaker 1: What time you have to get up? Yeah, that makes very good sense. Not everybody is even if you can. Even if you have the time, I'm to get up a three or four, most people just don't have it in them to do so.
Speaker 2: I think you're an anomaly, DJ, But.
Speaker 1: You know what you're missing some good stuff.
Speaker 2: I know I come in every morning, I'm like, oh I miss that? What?
Speaker 1: Yes, you missed great table tennis in this morning.
Speaker 2: Table tennis, I feel like, is on all day, which I appreciate because we had watched it in the afternoon. I've certainly missed some of it in the morning, but it never disappoints.
Speaker 1: Coming down to the men's and women's quarterfinals and semi finals, which I'm watching, I'm all into it and that's wonderful. But we got a lot of track that was going on this morning. Of course, all eyes on she Carrie, who is running. She was the current world champion one hundred meters heats starting today. We're not giving anything away here by telling you she did okay in her heat.
Speaker 2: It's been very fun to watch. We're very fun to watch.
Speaker 1: Not giving anything away, but that's going to be going on during the day. And she is just adorable. We already loved her and her talent, but just to see she's just this little bitty thing with this she is powerful and yes she takes you see her in an interview, she's the sweetest thing ever. Man. That gun goes off and she hits it and it's just a pleasure to watch. He's flying and I have to tell you this one of ropes I've I was just reading about a commercial and I had tears of my eyes. Okay, I do. I want to give Nike and I want to get Dick Sporting Goods a shout out here. We've spend so much time talking about how the can't wait to see the Super Bowl commercials. These Olympic commercials are blowing all those out of the water and they're just such touching and inspirational and moving. And the one on the Dick Sporting Goods, it was the one about, uh, here's to the little moments that happen every day like that, but just showing these clips, these home videos, including one of us, like this little girl getting the news that she made the team and she starts crying. This little kid on his own, like Barry Kawak, he's kicking the ball into the net and.
Speaker 2: He makes the goal.
Speaker 1: He makes it. They are just so stirring. And then Nike, good lord, having Willem Dafoe winning aim for everybody my bad man.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's NonStop entertainment, whether it's the sports or it's the commercial.
Speaker 1: Niche you hats off to you. But yesterday we planned our whole day around just like we did for the men's all around. The way, I'm not overstating this. This is the most important event of the Olympics. I say most important, not to an Olympian who maybe is in track and field. What I'm saying for all of us watching is this not the marquee event.
Speaker 2: For me, it is Gymnastics has been and probably always will be. We love watching a lot of the sports, but this one is for me the most fun. And so yeah, we brought all of our girls circling around the TV. We prepared our lunch, and you know what I actually thought it was going to be. I mean a shoe in and maybe even I don't want to say boring, but just you already knew what the ending was going to be. But I have to say it was so much closer and so much more fun than I ever thought it would be. It blew away all of my expectations.
Speaker 1: So yeah, even before yesterday knew some own Biles was already the most decorated American gymnast in history. She'd already won an Olympic All around gometal, and she was already widely considered the greatest gymnast ever. She had nothing more to prove to us, and yes, she proved something else to us yesterday. She proved that she can handle adversity on the biggest stage. These were her words afterwards. I've never had an athlete that close. Before I was getting uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: You could see it on her face. You could see it on her face. I know she was probably just concentrating and getting in the zone, but she actually almost looked like she was angry, like but that whatever was going on. She said she was praying to the gods. I believe because people asked her about the look on her face right before. But she was, of course talking.
Speaker 1: About Rebecca Andronji right.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh, and I have been in awe of her from the beginning. She is a dazzling gymnast from Brazil. She's amazing at what she does her floor routine. If you haven't seen it, my god, it's just full of just spirit and unbelievable expertise. So Simone was anticipating her that she might be a problem even before they competed, and turned out it was true. But Simone wowed us all with her vault. It's the most difficult vault in the world. It is a dangerous vault. It's a double pike that she did not perform in the team event, but she nailed it in her individual event and that put her ahead. But then she made a rare but significant mistake on the uneven bars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, even if you're not don't have the trained eye for gymnastics, you saw this mistake happen. You weren't necessarily sure what happened. But she went down to the lower bar on the uneven bars, and please correct me if I get this wrong, but she at some point it looked like she almost stopped rotating and she had to bend her legs a little bend at her knees to keep from actually scraping on the.
Speaker 2: Fight because if you touch the floor, it's a massive deduction. So she had to pull up her knees, which was not exactly, you know, elegant, and that definitely caught any one's eye. And then she had she did to take an extra swing around the lower bar to regain her momentum to continue her routine, which she did, which is an incredible thing to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so she made it through, and she talks about the uneven bars all the time, right, she's.
Speaker 2: Not her favorite there the devil, she hates it.
Speaker 1: She hates them, but she ends up behind on points midway through they all around what is happening?
Speaker 2: She had to go to beam next, which is so nerve racket. So to know you're behind and you've already kind of maybe messed with your head a little because you did something you didn't think you were going to do, which cost you points. So but she nailed her beam, and then that.
Speaker 1: Just me right, I hate I'm not the only one that hates I hate watching beam.
Speaker 2: Well also hates watching penalty kicks, which yeah, I hate that, and so I like both of those for the drama.
Speaker 1: Okay, what about trampoline. We've been watching this so fun, but now I'm getting nervous watching that.
Speaker 2: Trampoline is so fun anyway, Yes, So back to simone fials. She was the last athlete to go on the last event and it was a vault could be her best event, but floors right up there with her too. She needed a thirteen point eight six seven for the gold and what did she get?
Speaker 1: A fifteen point oh six six end of the day. This wasn't difficult and she did her first pass on the floor exercise. When she landed, there was a smile on her face and we all knew this is over, and she knew it was over.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, she had it was funny, she had this amazing like just tuded like, yeah, I just did that, and watched me do some more.
Speaker 1: She knew it. Everybody knew it was over at that point. So congratulations to her that you keep hearing about her history. So she added some yesterday with this. She's the third woman to win two all around gold medals. She's the only one to do it though eight years apart, and I believe the other two did it was back I think goes back in the sixties. If I haven't read way before, I was long ago. But she's twenty seven. She's the oldest woman to do this since nineteen fifty two. That other athlete was thirty years old. And of course she has more medals than any American gymnast man or a woman. Now she sits at nine. Can you remind me when she has left? She still has some more metals she can get in the individual.
Speaker 2: She's competing on floor beam and vaults. Okay, so not surprisingly she's not competing on the uneven bars, which I'm sure she's very happy about. Yeah, so she is three more metals she could pick up. So that's incredible. And to celebrate her win, because she clearly is the goat, she got a necklace that says just that, with five hundred and forty six diamonds. I love what she said. She said, some people love the fact that I put the goat around my neck, and some people hate it. And I like the fact that it's like she likes it.
Speaker 1: It's polarizing. Yeah, somebody's talking about it.
Speaker 2: She likes. She's like, I don't mind the people who hate. I don't mind the people who love. But at least people are saying so.
Speaker 1: I'm mad about Well, who's mad exactly?
Speaker 2: Well, I think some people think it's maybe arrogant. What I'm not one of those people. I mean, you should celebrate that, like.
Speaker 1: The great joy all time. And it's a cool little When I first heard it it, I thought it was a like it was written out goat. No, it's a literal little goat with all these diamonds on it, shout out. I mean, give them credit. Janet Heller Fine Jewelry in Southern California they're the ones that went together for and they made sure they put out of them on social media, making sure y'all all knew yep, we made that, we did it.
Speaker 2: If you'd like one too, or another animal, maybe encrusted in diamonds, just let us know we've got you.
Speaker 1: We have to mention Sunny Lee though, who was I mean? I watched her during the last Olympics and then a lot of people fell in love with her. I don't know why. She's just a joy. She just a little joy to watch. I've been really really having a good time.
Speaker 2: I was so happy she You know that you're the defending gold medalist now Simone's back, and she was the defending gold medalist because Simone dropped out. I think most people would argue, but she at one point didn't look like she might. She looked like she might not medal at all, which was you could see it on her face. But man, did she nail the floor. Oh she nailed the floor. And then she secured her spot and we didn't know if it was gonna be silver or bronze, but it did end up being bronze.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, so that was cool. When they finally came out and said she is guaranteed a bronze even though still a couple more performers. That was great. So this is a big deal. She's the first woman to win all around medals and back to back Olympics. Remember she got the gold last Olympics and now bronze in the all all around. But still that's back to back Olympics with a medal in all around. Now do you come in each She did it in seventy six eighty the only two women to do anything like that.
Speaker 2: That's a pretty cool person to be linked with or compared to.
Speaker 1: So we got to give some perspective here. So soon he won the all around gold by point one three five. What is that?
Speaker 3: Just over a tenth of a point tenth of a point, barely a tenth of a point.
Speaker 1: Simon won by about one point two points, yes, today, so that's a much bigger margin of victory. But this is one of the closest margins of victory that Simona has had to deal with in winning some of her world titles and her Olympic title. She won the gold in twenty sixteen by two points. So a win is a win. But it was cool to see. Look We're so impressed by her physically and what she does, but to see her have to dig in make some adjustments, that was a mistake made and she had to show her grit in her heart. She did. She was something else yesterday.
Speaker 2: And I'm excited that we get to keep on watching her for the next several days or through the weekend.
Speaker 1: And the young lady you were pointing out and again her floor routine is just one with energy and has I think she uses Beyonce's music, Rebecca Andronji Androgi of Brazil. But you got to give this young lady some a shout out to her. She got silver yesterday. In twenty twenty one, she got silver behind Soon Ay. And this is a young lady though, who had three ACL tears yeah twenty fifteen, between twenty fifteen and twenty eighteen, so she's had to keep fighting her way back. And see her yesterday with just a joy in her face performing that was another cool Olympic moment.
Speaker 2: It was a joy all around to watch those gymnasts do what they do and it was just incredible. Now ah, not so joyful and really just I think it's it's just sad and confusing and disturbing all at once. Olympic boxing is fighting about gender, and it all came to a head in the ring when Italy's Angela Karini shocked the audience when she abruptly ended her fight just forty six seconds into her match against Algeria's Iman Khalif. Khalif threw a few opening punches. Karine says she felt such a severe pain in her nose she couldn't finish the match. She didn't shake Khalif's hand after the referee raised it, and instead she began to cry in the ring and fell to her knees. Okay, so that is dramatic in and of itself. But here's the problem. Here's the controversy. The eligibility of Khalif and another Olympic boxer we should mentioned, Taiwan's Lynn Uting have been questioned by critics. Both have identified as women since birth, Both have competed and lost to women in international boxing events, including previous Olympics, but both were disqualified from last year's Women's World Championships after failing an unspecified gender eligibility test. This is where it gets a little confusing. That test claimed there were elevated levels of testosterone and their systems. But the group that disqualified them, called the International Boxing Association or IBA, lost its Olympic status because the IOC, the International Olympic Committee, says there are governance problems, there's a lack of financial transparency, there are perceived instances of corruption in judging and refereeing, and this test is unspecified. There's so many questions about it.
Speaker 1: So this bottom line is that there are two boxers here, two women, who were disqualified from an event that happened last year. The group that disqualified them has been disqualified for participating in the Olympics by the IOC. So this is a mess.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so the IOC has defended both of those boxers right to compete. They said that it made its decisions based on gender rules applied at the Rio Games. Now there have been other governing associations of different sports that have amended or updated what those rules are. The IOC says, we're sticking with the twenty sixteen rules, and they went on to say they are women in their passports, and it is stated that is the case that they are female, but that has not quelled the controversy, and some big names are now publicly winging in on this. JK. Rowling tweeted a video of the fight and then wrote, explain why you're okay with a man beating a woman in public for your entertainment. Elon must jumped in. He shared a post from swimmer Riley gains You remember him and so Riley Gaines put out on social media. Men don't belong in women's sports, Elon said absolute utely and re shared it. Gaines is actually trying to get a hashtag trending hashtag. I stand with Angela Karini. That's the Italian boxer. Karini has really kind of stayed neutral in this. She said, no one is to judge this match. I am not a referee, but her prime minister, Italy's prime minister also getting involved, saying that Italians have had a strong reaction. She called the fight a match that did not seem on equal footing. She went on to say athletes who have male genetic characteristics should not be admitted to female competitions.
Speaker 1: It's a mess. I mean, what are you supposed to do here. I'm supposed to walk up to a woman competing in the Olympics and tell her she needs to prove to me to me and a member of the public that she's a woman. If the IOC says that these folks are eligible, I don't know what else I'm supposed to do. And do you talk about the IBA, the boxing organization that disqualified her from the World Boxing Championships. Well, people take that with a grain of salt, because that organization is run out of Russia by a Russian and backed by a Russian company, and they only disqualified this Algerian boxer after she beat a Russian boxer, So that is being thrown into it.
Speaker 2: And look, I'm not a scientist. I have no idea about how you determine someone's gender if they're born a female. But from what I've read, you can as a woman have elevated levels of testosterone and still be a woman. Everyone has different levels, so it's just unclear what that test should or is to be able to determine that. It's very confusing and this isn't going away. Cali's next match is on Saturday against Hungary's Anna Luka Hamori.
Speaker 1: Who didn't help the situation at all.
Speaker 2: She claims she's ready for the fight.
Speaker 1: She and she's well, I'm saying if I beat a man all the better, Like that's not helping to But I don't know what this is. That Boxing Association president saying, based on DNA tests, we have identified a number of athletes who try to trick their colleagues by posing as women, and it said it proved they have X.
Speaker 2: And why chromosomes.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I'm just it's The problem is this has now delved into a nasty, heated public and very much social media debate where people are saying nasty things, and there's been a lot of talk about trans athletes and how we should handle fair play. But they tried to make clear this is not a trans.
Speaker 2: Exactly so, and if you look online, they will actually call these two boxers transgender, and they'll go so far as to call them men. Neither of those things have been proven at all. In fact, they've categorically denied that either one of those things are true.
Speaker 1: And this is one where we encourage everybody, please please do not get your information right now on this from social media in a post that somebody made, because there's so much misinformation out there and just some hateful language, awful language that doesn't really have any place in this conversation. The conversation is worth having, absolutely, but not there. So I encourage you. Just don't believe everything you're reading on somebody social media.
Speaker 2: We've said this in different stories, but as journalists, and we are journalists who have been covering the news for almost three decades, and where you get your sourcing and where you get your news from matters. So just please remember it, especially on a story like this, and do your research and look and see where your information is coming from and where they're getting their information from. It's so so important before we form opinions.
Speaker 1: That is, we know it's Olympics and always going to have some controversies. These stories you pop about you you said this morning you were sitting now we putting notes together. You said, there's so much stuff.
Speaker 2: There's so much to talk about. Oh my good, bad, ugly, scary controversial. It always delivers the Olympics. It's never boring.
Speaker 1: So he's a good, bad, ugly controversial. This next one is maybe a little it's a little controversial, and I don't know if you all heard it, but before we get into that, you might have just heard robot's phone click here, is that your dad? Okay, we have a question for her dad, who's a microbiologist, having to do with what you all have been seeing about the river sind and that nastiness, and they had to keep checking it for bacteria and it wasn't safe to swim in. They had to delay some things. And then there was an American as a writer, Seth Ryder. I believe that got the name right. He said he was trying to introduce E Coli into his system ahead of the race so he would maybe not get so sick if he was ingesting nasty water. Well, he has now come back and said, yeah, I was just joking. The triathliness already happened, and now he said he was just joking when he said that. I don't know if you believe that or not, but it got a lot of attention, and we wondered if that's actually true. Can you help yourself and maybe not get so sick with E. Coli if you're swimming in it if you start introducing it into your system ahead of time by not washing your hands after you use the bathroom. So we're waiting on Robot's dad, a microbiologist, to get back to is to see if there's any truth to it.
Speaker 2: So I just I had tried to call him before we started recording the podcast. He told me he was in the shower. What's the question. I'm sure he'll appreciate me telling everyone that. So I said, it's about the river sen and E Coli. If you swim and swallow some of the water, can you get sick? He just wrote three very simple words, Yes you can.
Speaker 1: Hey, But the question about the microdiddle thing, is that anything to it? The dude said, if I'm not washing my hands for the days and weeks leading up to it, so that I can introduce E Coli into my system, and then I will be better equipped to deal with the pollution and the river sand, that's the question we're asking her dad. Now, gonna get that answer to you before the end of this episode. But the other thing I was talking about the a little controversy. A surfing judge has been removed. You know, they're doing the surfing competitions in Tahiti, but an Australian judge has actually been removed from the competition. Benjamin lois his name, But the reason is he took a picture with a surfer posed for a picture that it was a day off. He's an Australian judge and it was an Australian surfer and an Australian coach he posed with them. That made its way around social media. It just wasn't a good look, and so they've called that. The International Surfing Association said that was absolutely inappropriate for him to interact with a surfer in this way and he was removed to protect the integrity of the sport.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you're another surfer and I see the judge who's judging me, who's also judging him, acting all buddy buddy, because they all come from the same place in Australia, that would make me concerned and uncomfortable that maybe perhaps he was not objective.
Speaker 1: She's gotta be you gotta be smarter than that. I mean, they're all from Australia. I'm sure they insurfing circles, they run across, come across each other. Fine, maybe nothing to this, but you gotta know better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the caption was just kind of like, hey, all the buds from the same island, and so it just felt like it just no matter what, even if he is the best judge and completely objective, isn't a good look. It's not a good look. So I'm, oh, you know when you're texting someone and the three dots he's about to write something and then they went away. So we'll have to wait a little more for my dad's response because this is what I asked him. Can you microdose and get less sick? Swimmers? Said he didn't wash his hands for weeks after using the bathroom. Is that scientifically sound? All right? So we're gonna wait for that again.
Speaker 1: This is this is an absolutely credible source. This is what he does. So he'll have this answer in no time. As we're waiting on dad there with the three dots, we didn't want to tell you about a scary moment in the pool this morning. Just happened not too terribly long ago as we were recording here, but a swimmer collapsed almost immediately after getting out of the pool for a race. It was a two hundred meters individual. Medley raised camera, Pataka of Slovakia. She collapsed onto that pool deck and was immediately surrounded by medical staff. We could all see her being taken out on a stretcher. She had an oxygen mask on. We are told she was conscious as they were taking her out, Not exactly sure what happened, but we will keep an eye on that. I certainly hope she's okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and some more news from the pool. It's been the pool itself has become controversial. Controversial in swimming. Don't dive into the shallow end of the pool.
Speaker 1: I been telling the sassince we were kids.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, I've heard that my entire life. That makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 1: But it turns out all the Olympians are diving into a shallow pool. Shallow by their perspective anyway. But there's just something to keep an eye on. The fact that not a lot of records have been falling so far at the Olympics. I actually took five days for the first world record to be set. Now, maybe that's not a big deal, but we're used to at these events, Robes world events. These are the best in the world swimming their best and so because we haven't seen that, a lot of people are wondering why. Well, it turns out I don't even know this, Robes. There can be slower pools, right, we talk about fast tracks, but this is a slow pool because it's not as deep as they're used to. This one is seven point two feet deep. Okay, fine, plenty room swim. When it's that shallow, they say, it calls more turbulence and whatnot on the surface of the pool, and it makes it more difficult to swim, and we are seeing slower times.
Speaker 2: Wow. I would never have known that.
Speaker 1: I heard them talking about some of the commentators. I heard Michael Phelps say something about it. I said, oh, okay, but this pool is seven point two feet deep. There is now an eight point two feet minimum going forward, so they're changing the exception here. Oh they allowed Paris.
Speaker 2: To do seven point two I wonder just because they figured it is what it is, and you you know, you have to deal with what you have.
Speaker 1: Well that's what they said. This was for the matter. It allows for more prime seating on the decks they were able to build.
Speaker 2: Wait, they're caring more about the spectators than they are the swimmers, the athletes themselves. That makes zero sense.
Speaker 1: See that would be a first, But the US Championships were this year that pool was nine point two feet nine point one nine point two, So that's a two foot difference in the depth that they say absolutely makes no difference.
Speaker 2: Notably, no records in the first four days there was finally one Wednesday, yep. But in comparison, there were twenty three world records set in Beijing forty three records set the next year at the World Championships. However, there is a cabiat that was all in the middle of that debate. Do you remember this about the swim suit that they said was giving swimmers an advantage and they then imposed new rules about the fabric and the body coverage. Michael Phelps, they had to completely change what they wore in the pool.
Speaker 1: I get that, and you'll will remember that because if I just say this, the torpedo right from Australia wore that full body suit and he was blowing everybody out. And then people started wearing the suits and records started falling, and then they came back on the suits a little bit. But just something to keep an eye on, is they start to ramp up more with the swimming over the next time.
Speaker 2: Well, let's stand the water, because I actually do have the response from my dad now again whether or not you can microdose to get less sick if you're swimming in well the scent, let's just say, with potentially bacteria. So my dad said, no, you cannot do that. It depends on the strain of E. Coli being and he put this in quotes vaccinated against one strain, meaning with your own poop doesn't necessarily make you less susceptible to others.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Not all E coalies are created equal, and some strains produce stronger toxins than others. He adds, give me a call if you want to chat about it more. I think I'm good.
Speaker 1: Hey, Okay, one more, I'm gonna get to those things. Ask him this question. Can you still you can micro dose E coli? Buy not washing your hands from.
Speaker 2: Using from from one string?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I'm saying that is legit is what he's saying. You are micro dosing E. Coli. It might be the wrong strain, but you are legitimately you can legitimately micro dose. I mean, is that would anybody recommend that? Okay? Ask him how?
Speaker 2: Maybe this does require a phone call later and we can give an updated.
Speaker 1: That's what we've got now, Okay, But she's still texting her dad, who's in a Yeah, this is all audio right now. But you all have this image in your head. Robot's dad in a wet and a towel, right shower in his bathroom in Snellville, Georgia, texting his daughter about E coli. That's a typical.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I'm not gonna this is what we talked about. Honestly, my dad would if you needed to know if something was expired, or what would happen if I ate this or did that, or went to this country and drank that water. He has been a source of health information for me my entire life.
Speaker 1: I called him just yesterday asking how long those eggs will stay in the fridge without a problem.
Speaker 2: It's great to have a microbiologist in the family.
Speaker 1: Oh another great, great, great, No controversy on this one. Folks, listen to this quote from an athlete. Every medal it's like gold. I don't care that it's bronze, it's gold. That quote from Olga Carlin, a fencer who just won her country's first medal of the Paris Olympics, and it's her country's first Olympic medal since it was invaded by Russia. Yes, Carlin is from Ukraine. Ropes. We've seen a lot of these Ukrainian athletes. They performed with inspiration each time you see them, and it got great athlete to movie watch those.
Speaker 2: The gymnast, the male gymnast, I can't remember his name, but my god, he was so good and he was because forth he almost meddled. But you can just see the passion and the pride, and it's impossible to not root for those athletes who have been training under the most unthinkable circumstances. The swimmers talking about hearing, you know, bombs going off and rockets overhead while they're training for the Olympics. It's really unimaginable. But yet they did it and they're here and it's just fun to watch them get to perform on a world stage and do it well.
Speaker 1: And I said, I was gonna this is gonna be a well it is still a nice story. But carl and X she almost didn't make it to the Olympics because in a World championship was a qualifying event for the Olympics, she refused to shake her opponent's hand. That opponent was Russian, I mean, and it got her disqualified. She got a band, but that ended up being overturned and she is able to compete. But you know, tough, it's tough.
Speaker 2: There are there are really tough political situations that are so personal and that's a hard thing to ask when oh, I know.
Speaker 3: But I love her quote there this one about the oh yes, yes, she said to all the athletes who could not come to the Paris Olympics and be here because Russia killed them, I dedicate this to them.
Speaker 2: That's powerful.
Speaker 1: You know what. You say it all the time, to the point that I roll my eyes when you do it. But you just said that quote, and I got chills. Yep, thank crazy.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: I know you get chills all the time.
Speaker 2: I do, I do, Oh my gosh, the entire time I'm watching most sporting events. I started to get chills, already got them this morning. With track and field, we told you we've been watching it. It's often running Team USA expected to be a heavy favorite on both the men and women's side, so that's always extra fun. We mentioned Sha Carrie Richardson making her long awaited Olympic debut after being disqualified from the Tokyo Games. I actually forgot about this, but yeah, she's had to wait. She was supposed to. She was seventeen right at the time, but she tested positive for cannabis. Her mother had just died. There were a lot of extenuating circumstances, and it certainly was sad to see her not get to go to Tokyo, but she is here and she is ready to go in Paris. We won't give away the results, but as we kind of alluded to, she's off to a very good start. She has eight heats this morning, so if you can even catch one of them, it's amazing. I mean, eight heats in one morning, that's kind of crazy. But she is a front runner to win the one hundred meter as the defending world champion, so that is gonna be so much fun. We're gonna be watching all of that today. A lot of heats, a lot of qualifying rounds, but this afternoon there is actually a metal round, the men's ten thousand meter final ten thousand meter how many weather it's coat Well, on just few moments ago it was seventy five degrees. It's completely different. It's twenty degrees cooler than it was earlier in the week, so thank goodness for them. And then we have swimming, a lot of swimming to watch. Caleb Dressel will try and defend his gold medal in the men's fifty meter freestyle, and we have the women's two hundred, two hundred meter backstroke, the men's two hundred meter I am. We talked about trampoline. We were watching an American she is competing. She could become the first American athlete to meddle in this event. Her name is Jessica Stevens. If you can catch her trampoline routine, please do. We've been watching nerve wrecking. It's so fun. You're on the edge of your seat, you're on the edge of it, and what they do is just remarkable. It's incredible to see what they do. And then tennis, we mentioned the semifinals. Djokovic still on his quest for goal, but he's got that knee issue, so we'll see what happens there. USA men's soccer, Oh my god, that's about to begin. Quarterfinals are today. This is the knockout round, so US plays Morocco. This is the first time since two thousand that the US men's team have advanced beyond the group stage. And I didn't realize this. They have never meddled in men's soccer, So this is going to be one to watch a lot of other team USA competing in men's golf, men's volleyball, the US VERSUS Japan today women's water polo. People are loving that the US versus host country France. We've got the US women's beach volleyball facing Germany today. All of this happening, I think in the afternoon, and even though it's one of the few Olympic sports in which no American has ever won a medal, we will keep watching table tennis all day, all morning, all night. Whenever it's on. It's it's a musty event.
Speaker 1: I don't know how they do it, you know what. I'm to that point. I heard a guy say this morning about a young lady who was two women that were going at at South Korea. I remember where the on the young lady was from, but she said one of them had been, you know, playing, so she was seven. Like wow, you're impressed by that, and they said they had the other one started playing when she was two and started taking it seri at five. Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah. There is a culture for this. The Asian countries dominate, and we've heard the coach for the for the team USA just being very frustrated at not having the resources because there just isn't the history with table tennis. We're watching right now.
Speaker 1: Because it's a young lady you were talking about, yes, and that was her golden moment. We won't we're not giving anything away. We happen to be watching this stuff live in case you don't. We're not going to give it away. But a young lady just realize she won a gold medal and she is just her reaction and this is man. I love the Olympics.
Speaker 2: It's amazing. Yes, and so we will keep watching and we're very happy you keep listening to us, and we will continue to do what we're doing, and we will bring you all the tea from Perry tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Again, we're not married to that title. The intens