Speaker 1: When you humanize yourself and you humanize me. Now, I'm not just a tool or number to you, were something you're using to achieve a goal. Right now, you humanized me and made sure that I understand that I am more important than whatever we're doing here. I think anybody would take that from a leader or a boss and run with it.
Speaker 2: This is the Reform Sports Project, a podcast about restoring healthy balance and perspective in all areas of sports through education and advocacy. Hi, this is Nick Bonacor from the Reform Sports Podcast. Today, I'm speaking with retired Sergeant first Class Matthew Docchio, a highly respected military veteran and longtime friend. Sergeant first Class Dochio spent his entire military career in the Army Special Forces Green Beret, earning a number of awards, including a Bronze Star and Purple Heart, before retiring in twenty eighteen due to injury, sustain and combat. After discovering a passion for war working in retirement, Matt founded hard Af Designs, a small veteran own business that creates unique, hindcrafted home to core pieces. Matt and I discussed why some of the best leaders express vulnerability and empathy, the importance of teaching children accountability, and why he's decided to write a book to help those struggling with mental health, self worth, and identity. Man, I'm gonna try not to cry on this one. Dude an old friend from my childhood. We've kept in touch some over the years. But I mean, this man is a He's a freaking hero to all of us here in the United States. I'm super pumped to have him, super pumped to call him a friend. Special Forces Green Beret retired Matt Docchio, Matthew Dochio, doc what's up Man? Thanks for hopping on, Bro.
Speaker 1: What's up? Nick? Thanks for having me Man, It's an honor.
Speaker 2: Well, it's an honor to have you.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 2: And I just got done listening to the podcast Team trek Man. You guys spent a lot of time really digging in on some really important topics in your history. Man, I thought you guys did an awesome job. Anyone who's gonna listen to this needs to go check that out. But what was it like, Man, getting on the mic and open up about a lot of.
Speaker 1: It was different. It was different. It definitely was a new experience for me. Uh, you know, I've opened up before and in a very different settings in group sessions and stuff like that, but to put it all out there like that on the mic was Uh. It was an experience, but a good one. A good one definitely some growth and positive all positive coming from it.
Speaker 2: Well, man, I'm glad that you did it, and I've been meaning to have yon. I'm glad we were able to connect that kind of put the pedal to the metal right there. I wanted to have you on because you know, you have such an unbelievable esteem career in the US. You know, military, You've been in so many leadership positions, but also you know, you were one hell of an athlete back in your day, and and you know a lot of you know, sports parents, a lot of kids, a lot of coaches and such will listen to this a little bit of history about Matt and I. You know, we played every sport we can possibly imagine against each other with each other back in the day when we were kids. Our brothers played high school football together. He and I played football together against each other in high school. And then I guess, Matt, you know we're such a good athlete, you go into the military, what are you you're nineteen twenty years old when.
Speaker 1: You go into the army twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: I went twenty years old, and immediately you just jump into I'm going into Special Force astraight, Like, how did your athletic career help you become? I guess from what I read, forty five people tried out for that eighteen month grueling session of the of the training, and only three were standing at the end. You were one of them. Like, what did you do in athletics that allowed you, I guess to have not only the physical but the mental wherewithal to be able to get through that.
Speaker 1: Oh that's it paved the way. It gave me the keys to the kingdom, I guess you could say, really, because all the qualities and all the skills that I needed to be successful in that type of environment were learned and polished through all those years with you playing sports in high school and the competitiveness and the camaraderie and learning how to be a good leader from you know, the captain of the football team when I was a sophomore to you know, coach Telegrio, and you know, all the mentors that I had and then bad leaders, you know, being able to identify them and what I take away from from this guy and that guy. So when I got the Special Forces, it almost felt like at home. It felt like a football team to me, it really was. It was it was the same type of mentality, a bunch of guys working towards the same goal, working together. To be honest, it was almost I'm not going to say easy, because physically it was challenging, but it was easier for me than I think other guys that were left in the right of being because I already had those key qualities that you learned playing sports, how to be a member of the team, how to follow, then how to lead, And I think that's what made me successful.
Speaker 2: One of the big things that often comes up, you know, particularly today, is you know, as a parent. I know you're a parent as well. You know, it's challenging at times to you know, some people don't really like seeing their kids struggle. But I mean, here you are, twenty twenty one years old. You're going through some of the most intense training and learning. You know, in the battlefield, right like there had to be adversity constantly. Was there anything that like you pulled out of your childhood or any struggles that maybe you know, you could look back on, maybe from your athletic background to be like, man, I've been here before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think it would be more with the interaction with teammates. You know, I did pull Like I remember when it was Thanksgiving weekend the Holy Cross and they would let the freshmen practice that week with the varsity, and uh, you know, you got some senior They pick on the freshmen. They bully the freshman, you know, and they make life hard for him. You know. So when you get to a special courts team, it's very similar. It's like I'm that freshman again with these older guys and you have to put your pride aside to follow and listen. And I just said to my son the other day, because you just started playing football, the same advice I gave him would be advice that I learned growing up playing football and I used throughout my whole career. Sometimes don't listen to how the coach is saying it to you, listen to what he's saying to you. You know, guys are gonna scream, they're gonna yell at you. Filter that out. And just received the message do not miss the mess is because he's yelling at you, you know, And that was a big takeaway for me. That's something I've always I've always held tied to.
Speaker 2: And it seems like you've always been in leadership positions man, like you know, you talk about being a younger, you know, a young man and you probably had guys that were wailed. Did you morph into a leader in the military, Like, how did you become someone who is so revered and followed by, you know, your teammates in the military. Did it come naturally to you or is that something you had to learn from experience.
Speaker 1: This is a long debate that I think my whole time in the military, we debate this topic. Can you teach leadership?
Speaker 2: Can you teach.
Speaker 1: Someone how to be a leader? The military thinks that they can't. You know, they send you to leadership schools, they e spent you to come back a leader. This is mat Docu's personal opinion. I don't think you can teach leadership. I don't think you can take someone and teach him to be a good leader. Now you can provide him with the qualities and the characteristics of what a good leader looks like and maybe help him act like a good leader. But from what I see and what I've seen through my it's the guys that played some type of sports, the guys that were always involved in that team setting. I believe good leaders are made through experiences growing up, you know, as they go through life. They are the experiences that they are a part of morph them either into a good leader or a bad leader, or doesn't understand what leadership is, or just doesn't have that quality in them. Some people are I don't think are made to be leaders, and there's nothing wrong with that. But I do believe that it's I became the leader that I became because of coach Trull, like Holy Cross, because of you know, my coach in college, because of the mentors I had when I was when I was young in Special Forces and some great leaders that pulled me in and mentored me, and I was able to pull those key things that I see in them as leaders. And then the bad leaders. I've had a lot of bad leaders in my career as well. I remember like things that they did that I in my mind, I'm not going to do that. That's not the leader I want to be. So when I get into that position, or when I did get to that position of leadership in my raign, I knew, I knew the type of leader I wanted to be. I knew the mistakes that I've seen leaders make, and I remember the impacts that those mistakes would have on our team and on individuals, And I just made a kindness effort to be that leader.
Speaker 2: So at the end of the day, like and listening to the podcast you did with Team Trek, you kept bringing up the word being vulnerable, you know, you kept saying how getting vulnerable, having empathy. In fact, you talked in great detail about some trauma that you experienced, and you know, one incident in particular kind of shaped you know, your life really and caused you to maybe later on, like, you know, have instances come up where you may have had a shorter fuse, maybe not have shown some empathy because I heard, you know, during the podcast and we talked a little bit beforehand, you know how if you can go back, maybe you would. And I asked you before we started recording, like do you think that there's strength and empathy, Like do you think that you know, showing empathy maybe taking time to talk to someone, Because when you're in the military and you're you're you're in Afghanistan and you're in the desert, you're in a combat. I mean, you're dealing with life and death. So my question to you was having that few minutes of counsel with someone to maybe help them through, would that maybe slow them down? And your response actually called me and I would love for you to kind of talk about how empathy might be an advantage.
Speaker 1: You know, if you asked me that question at twenty six years old, I probably would answer it much definitely now, because I wasn't at that point of understanding what a good leader is, you know, I would think that would show weakness, like there's no, we don't have time for that to we're on a mission or or you know, we have a goal that we have to get you no matter what. And that's the wrong answer in my opinion, that's the wrong answer. I think vulnerability empathy that doesn't show a weakness, that shows the strength of the leader, That shows the leader's ability to take off that shield and show genuine concern for a player, for a soldier, for you know, a coworker. I think that it's unmeasurable the benefits that that's going to do for him, as a leader. That's what that's what it would do for the team. I've had leaders that have done that with me, and twenty years later, I'll still follow them anywhere. They have my loyalty, they have my work. I will work my ass off of these guys. And it's because of that. It's because that they showed me that vulnerability, they showed me that genuine care for my well being above just being a number, above just being a tool for the military to use. And it's priceless, I think right there. When you do that with one of your guys, you solidify a relationship not just professional, but also personal. It's a bond that's it's unbreakable, definitely signed us strengths.
Speaker 2: So that bond, that relationship that you're talking about becomes it like blooms when you get real with somebody, like hey, you take that guard down, you show your guard and you let that human know like it's not about just we go get this w It's not about just you know, we got to go finish this mission. It's not about we just got to go, you know, hit this quota for the month. It's about I care about you as a person, and that in and of itself will make you run through a brick wall for somebody.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, when you when you when you humanize yourself and you humanize me. Now I'm not just a tool or number to you or something you're using to achieve a goal. Right now, you humanized me and made sure that I understand that I am more important than whatever we're doing here. I think anybody would take that from a leader or a boss and run with it and you know, do the right thing and follow them absolutely.
Speaker 2: When you're you talk about teamwork and being a great teammate, which is something that I talk about a lot. You know, we talk about a lot and I personally and I would love to hear your thought on this because I try my best with my own kids and when I'm coaching teams, particularly a young age. Is like I think you can teach somebody. I think learning to be a great teammate is. I think that's a learned skill. I think it's it's it's teaching kids like it's not all about you, And I think a lot of that starts at home. As a parent, I think that I have to do that as a parent, I have to do that as a coach. But what are your thoughts on you know, can you teach kids to be great teammates? Can you teach people to be a great teammate? And if so? Or if not? But if so, like, what are ways in which that you believe could help people learn to become a great team and not be selfish.
Speaker 1: I think one of the number one qualities of being a leader is leading by example. I think that's that right there. Teaching kids or green berets, you're you're talking about seven year old or you're talking about thirty year old you know, are chargers. It's the same thing, leading by example, showing that you're putting the team first. You're putting this guy first, you know, developing these guys, doing whatever we need to do to make each of them better and making each other better because you get that understanding of we're on a team. So if you're great and all of us are mediocre, well the team's mediocre. But if everyone on a team is great, how much better are we going to be as a unit? You know? And once you get everyone to buy off on that and to drink that kool aid, you know, there's no stopping you. So I think leading by example and you do that by You know, when I was a charge of by team, that was all about getting you the schools that you want, getting you more training, making you a better soldier. I'm not trying to keep you down so I can keep my position. I'm trying to make all of you better so we can be better as a team. And you see when guys see that, they start doing that with each other. You know, they become better teammates. They start putting their teammate first. It's all instead of I, it's all about us. And I think it's as by example.
Speaker 2: So you really, I mean when you talk about you know, you were out and I mean, what do you have? You have two purple hearts, you have a bronze what is it? A bronze star? Yeah, so I mean you're highly decorated. You have been in the thick of it. How many tours have you done Afganistan for and then a bunch to wear South America?
Speaker 1: South America? Yeah, pretty much every country minus Venezuela and Nicaragua.
Speaker 2: So you've been in the belly of the beast. At the end of the day, the same type of things you learn playing sports, being a part of a team really translate into that real world life and death situation like it is. It's really that much of a mirror situation from a camaraderie, from a team building aspect and leadership aspect.
Speaker 1: You know, I always speak for you know, Special Forces, Like my whole career is a Special Forces. So we're on a twelve man team. If we're lucky, nine, ten, eleven, twelve guys dependent, but those are that's your team. That's your team for years. It mirrors. It mirrors my high school football team. It mirrors my college. It mirrors sports to the tea. It really does. From the coach down. You know, we have a team sergeant instead of a coach. And every issue or every challenge that I had on any team playing sports are very similar challenges I have on a Special Force to team, you know, minus obviously the mission and stuff like that. But you're still working towards a goal, unified as a team. In order for us to win or in order for us to have a successful mission, we have to work as a team. You have to do your responsibilities, and you will succeed. I mean, that's that's really a matter. Playing seventh grade te ball, if we work as a team and do what we've learned, and you know, take care of what your specific responsibility is. The team does well, and it's the same thing. It's across the board from what I've seen, you know.
Speaker 2: It's it's fascinating to me how we take these lessons and incorporate them because I can speak for myself and my business experience and everything I've ever done it and it all translates, It all correlates, which is why I'm such a big proponent on kids, you know, being well rounded, playing different sports, but also having different experiences and more important than like allowing your kids to fail.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I interviewed Tim KORbin, head baseball coach at Vanderbilt, and he's like, when your kids are out there, he kind of gave an analogy of throughout their swimming in the water and there and they're struggling a little bit, don't be so quick to throw them the life jacket, you know, don't be so quick like allow them the opportunity to work through it. It's so quick nowadays. If things aren't going right, we're gonna bounce to another team. We're gonna go here, we're gonna quit, we're gonna go there. And as a parent. Listen, are there times in which a situation is better some or else? Sure, but there's definitely value, especially particularly at young ages, and you have to learn it early. Man, Like these kids got to learn how to get uncomfortable. So, as a parent, is that something that you're going to try to do with your kids is like allow them to out? But how do you balance that, right? Because do you revert back to stick your chest out, don't talk about it, or do you show that same empathy and encouragement and help guide them through it while still allow them to feel that struggle.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you that is that just happens to me with my son Joshua right eighth grade. Down here, they have the actual football at the school in seventh and eighth grade. They don't have it up nors. So he's playing in football for the first time in his life. Right, he always played soccer, plays football. Kids a great athlete. My son's a great athlete. He probably saw one minute of playtime the whole season, one minute of playtime ten games eighth grade. Dude, I think the coach was a good coach. No, I don't. I think the coaches were horrible coaches. Did I ever say that to my son. Absolutely not right. I'm not gonna get I'm not gonna give him that blame or that ability to blame the coach or whatever. No, you work hard and whatever happens happens as long as you know you worked hard as you could and he did. So now what do we do? Okay, I switch them to Destin high school where he'll get more playing time. Do I switch on the Choctaw where they have a weak team so it gets more playing time. No, I'm not gonna do that. You need to make a decision. So I told you go to crossroads. You take that and turn it into fuel and work hard to get your playing time this next year. Or do you use it as if as an excuse of failure I hate the coach about No, you take countability for your actions. Work your ass off, and that's why I told me. I said, if you work your ass off, put the time in, and then let's see what happens. But we need to know did you try your best. If you tried your best and you're not gonna play well, then you know we could talk other options. And that's what he did. I'd be honest with you. I can't believe how hard he worked and he's getting his rewards. Now you know he's starting this year, he's you know, he's doing he's doing very well. So I think that's an example of because I think a lot of parents immediately with the coaches, don't know what they're doing the right They get the kid and out and you can't blame the coaches, you know, as easy as that is, it's always a coach is fault. You got to I'm trying to teach him like accountability. That's that's where I think is big with teams is you have to be able to be self aware and take accountability. Because he didn't, he didn't train hard for this football season. I know he didn't. I knew already knew the answer. So be accountable, be truthful with yourself, be self aware, and and go from there. That's that's why I try and preach, preach to him. If you work your ass off, then we could talk about it. But until you give it your best, until you can look in the mirror and say I've done everything that I could do to achieve my goal, which is to play right, to start right. As everybody wants to do, they want to start and be successful. Until you do that, well, then we're not gonna look at those other options.
Speaker 2: When we return, Sergeant first Class Docio and I talk about his struggles with identity and self work after retiring and why finding new passions significantly improved his mental health. Where we left off, Matt and I were about to discuss why getting to know your teammates on a personal level create stronger feelings of support and com robbery. It's it's so refreshing, and I feel like I'm surrounded by you know, similar people, and my and my you know type friend group who get it, and many almost all the coaches and athletes and stuff that I have on here, and people that I speak to about that accountability piece and another element that I really want to get into with you, doc is is and you talked a lot about it on the podcast with Team Trek, and it's it's a topic that really, over the last several years has started to become mainstream. You know, you're hearing more and more high profile athletes, you know, more and more focus on mental health, mental well being, being cognizant of being right in all areas of life, not just from a physical standpoint. And I know you talked about, you know, how you've had to come and work on that as I have. And you know, many athletes like Michael Phelps and Kevin Love and Simone Biles and others who have gotten really vulnerable use their platform to talk about how that's such a big thing in their life, Like what is it about, you know, working through because listen, I look at you, Documan, You're a physical specimen. You clearly take good care of yourself, hit the gym, and you're as strong as an ox and all that. But at the end of the day, you talk about that shield. If we're not right upstairs. I know from my own experience, like the way I am physically, it ain't gonna fly. So how are ways in which you, particularly with your kids. And we're talking and a lot of parents and such are gonna listen, like how can they look out for red flags? Because ever since COVID and such you talk about and it's happened here, you know, even people I know where they have kids that have it's heartbreaking, but you hear more and more kids that are that are committing suicide, you know, and they're not talking about things and how are ways in which us as parents or you maybe any experience you have with with getting or vulnerable to be able to open up and understand that you have other options than just that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's huge, It's huge. And that's what that podcast is about, is about being accountable for the guys. See, when you're in the military, they know where you are all the time. I know, if I don't show up to work at eight a m. Somebody's gonna call me. If I don't pick up the phone, somebody's gonna come to my house. Because it's the military, right they hold you accountable. You are accountable to be here at this time, this place. Well, when you leave the military, all of a sudden, nobody's accountable for you anymore. There's nobody calling you, there's nobody expecting you, there's nobody looking out for you. And that's what we're trying to change with that podcast. That's the goal of that is who is accountable for you? If medachio disappears for three or four days, is there anybody that's calling him to see if he's okay? Does anybody check in with them? And that's the I think the same thing, the same mentality I'm trying to do with the kids, right, I'm holding them accountable. When I'm holding my kids accountable, it's also an education piece and that goes for what I was talking about too, with the team trek and holding these guys accountable. It's hard for me as a parent, or as a leader or as a coach. It's hard for me to identify these red flags in a in a player or in a soldier. If one, I'm not educated to what red flags are. If I'm not educated to what you know signs of depression are, if I'm not educated to any mental health type thing when it comes to people struggling. Two, am I putting in the effort as a leader to get to know my guy well enough to be able to identify a change in his in his personality. Oh, Doc's always here, he's always happy, he's talking, he's he's really involved in everything going on. Then you know, like last week, Doc, I don't know, and he didn't show up to work, he didn't call. You know, he's quiet, he's not talking to anybody. Does somebody know me well enough to be able to identify to know my personality or cared enough to know my personality well enough to identify that change that baseline. Do they have that baseline of what this kid or soldier is like. So I think as a parent or as a coach, he goes back to not just looking at them as players, but looking at them on the human side and really spending the time talking to him, getting to know them, so you could really learn the baseline of when he's doing good. This is what good looks like for Johnny. So when Johnny starts doing things that are outside of his character, outside of his norm, that coach or that leader or that teammate, right, I mean it could be teammates, you know, looking out for his buddy, like Son's wrong with Johnny. You know, he's a little bit different. I was having to catch with him, right, he's quiet. So I think it's just hearing enough to learn about people outside of the job or outside of the store, outside of the game, outside of the you know, training. If that makes sense, Nick, I.
Speaker 2: Think it makes complete sense. And I applaud you, and I think it's so important of the work that you're doing, and you know with you know, with team track what they're doing as far as you know, being able to be a resource to show others that you're being vulnerable. I think it's just I don't think it could be talked about enough because, uh, you know, decades and decades and decades of stick your chest out. You're a man. You know, we don't talk about men don't cry. It's like, man, some of the greatest moments of my life, I know, from my own personal growth have been in the most you know, the most vulnerable circumstances where I wanted to hide, but I had to face my fear and I had to deal with those emotions. And you know, on the other side of that, someone puts their armorround you and tells you, hey, it's going to be all right. And next thing, you know, this for me, I know something that may have been eating me a lot. Now this weight is gone, or at least I realize I'm not alone, and there's so much strength in that. So man, I applage you. WHI so critical. And also you know, I know that a while ago you started the hobby of what kind of woodworking and stuff and sounds like that that was kind of like a safe refuge for you. But now it's turned into this like blowing up business. Hard af wood designs like walk us through that man, I love what you're doing. And did it start off as something to kind of give you some mental therapy and the hobby and just turned into this you know business.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll be honest with you. It saved my life, it did. It saved my life. And this is also a good example how being on teams and sports and what I do and what I did in the military, are they do mirror themselves. You know, how many professional athletes do you know they retire that two years later you hear maybe they commits suicide or they're depressed, or they lose everything right because they lose that identity. Their identity was this professional athlete in the spotlight, and now all of a sudden, they're just a regular person, you know. And that's what guys struggled with the Special Forces. They got the green beret on, they got the uniform with all their patches. You know, they kind of high, but not high, but that's their identity. So much pride is in that identity and in who they are and what they've achieved. And then the next day they step out of their house and there's no more uniform and they look in the mirror and there's no more green Beret. It's just you. And that's what I dealt with. That's that was a struggle. A challenge for me was I lost. I had no purpose. You know, you go from leading guys in combat and so you have so much responsibility and so so many things that you're you're responsible for, and then the next day there's nothing. And for the first couple of years I was struggling with that. I was struggling hard with it. I feel like I didn't have a purpose. I didn't have a goal. You know, throughout your whole career, the Army gives you goals. Make this rank, Oh, you made that rank, here's another rank. Go to this school, like you constantly have things to shoot for. You go to this school. Well, now you go to this school and become even better. And when that's taken away from guys like us, I think that are you know, motivated and you know you're driven by that success. When it's gone, it leaves you, It leaves you kind of empty inside. And it's funny. I just I didn't mean to do it. I just started working on working on wood one day in the garage and I liked it, and it was it was kind of you know. Where I struggle with my mental health, nick is, and I'm sure a lot of people do, is staying in the present. I'm either in the past or I'm in the future. Yep, you know. I a therapist tell me, like, when you eat, enjoy your food. Chew it, chew it, chew everybody ten times, like, enjoy your food. Don't think about what you have to do after you eat. That's what I do. I just eat because I'm hungry. I don't eat to enjoy the food. And it's and she's a hundred I understand what she was trying to say. It's enjoy them now and being the now. And I have not been able to do that for many, many years. And and that's what it gave me. I noticed when I started doing it, I was literally stuck in the present and focused on this task of creating whatever else creating. And I felt good, you know, when it was done. I had a sense of accomplishment. It just was all healthy, it was all positive, and I ended up being good at it, you know. And that's just the qualities I learned from playing sports and hard work and determination and you know, finishing things, you know, to completion. Those were all characteristics that made me successful with this wop business. And it's been like a new it's been like a breath of pressure. Are really I feel reborn, like I have this. I've been able to almost close I think Team trek Is has helped me with this as well, almost turn the page in this book and close that chapter and start a new one, which has been big for me.
Speaker 2: Nick, that's amazing. And speaking of book, I mean I heard in the pod and now when we talked at you started putting pen to paper.
Speaker 1: I did. I did. Actually I talked to the editor yesterday and things are moving forward, is looking very very good. I just started another another thing I do is I tried and journal, you know, get thoughts out on paper. It's healthy, it works for me. And I just started writing. Team kind of brought up these memories and you know it does have a hard time sleeping, and so I started put them on paper just to get them out. And then I started put them in chuntological order, and I'm like, man, these are great stories. And I started looking into writing a book and contact some people and before you know it, the ball is rolling. So the title of the book is from the Battlefield to the war, and basically it's it's my journey. It's not a war book. It's not about war stories. I made it very clear to that that's not what I wanted. I want this the mental health self help book for guys like me that suffered trauma, retired from the military and didn't realize that, like I didn't realize, you know, I left the battlefield. I don't have to go there anymore, which is great, and I can move on, you know, to the sunset, rainbows and unicorns. But when you know, when that retirement came and I stepped looking for those rainbows and unicorns, all I found was war that was worse than the battlefield. You know, I'll go back to Afghancian any day to uh then this war, you know, this war in my head, this war with myself and struggling with self worth. And then, you know, the older I get, the more you reflect on things you did over there and a lot of things that I wasn't ready for. And you know, it took me to some dark places. I had to fight through some dark places to get where I am today. And I'm lucky. I'm lucky that I was able to do that. If it wasn't for some key people at some key times being there for me when I needed it most. I probably want to be here anymore, you know. But there's a lot of guys out there that don't have that. They don't have that savior or that angel that comes down and picks them up and it brings them somewhere and get some help. A lot of guys don't have that. So I think this book, my intentions of writing it is for these guys to hopefully read it and realize they're not alone. Many people have gone through that struggle. Many people have risen above it and are living. You're always gonna have PTSD, We're always gonna have issues, We're always gonna have those things going on in our lives. But there's things that you can do. There's steps you can take, and there's groups and fellowship with other vets that you know what you have PTSD boot through that holistic approach of being healthy. It brings it down to a manageable level. You know, your life isn't unmanageable anymore. It's actually manageable and you can find some joy in it. So that that's the that's the mission of that book.
Speaker 2: Dude, that's that's amazing that you're I mean, it's clearly you're just trying to help other people, you know, by coming on and sharing with us, with me, you're you're gonna help other people. I mean, you know, listen, at the end of the day, we're talking sports, we're talking all these different things, parenting, helping people. But I mean we're talking about life. You know, we're talking about real life and how everything kind of helps one another. These lessons that kids learn, and as parents we can take this information your experience and be able to recognize and be able to help. And I just applaud you for not only you know, your unbelievable service to our country, but also you know what you're doing now, getting vulnerable and showing people and veterans and anybody anybody who's out there who thinks they can't talk to anybody, they're not alone, you know what I mean. But someone like you, who's as strong and who's been where you're ben, it's just it's extremely powerful coming from you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks, nig I appreciate the opportunity to get on here and get that message out because you're right, does a matter if your soldier as a matter of your thirteen year old kid playing baseball. You know, both those guys think that they're alone. They think that they're the only ones that have this problem, and you know, and it's sad because and I was there. I was there. I was isolated, thinking that nobody knows what I'm talking about, nobody understands what I'm going through. And how wrong could I be because I was taking to a place where there are many people with that struggle, and all you had to do is talk to him, you know. So I think that's important for kids, for for everybody to understand that you're not alone no matter what your struggle is. We've been through it.
Speaker 2: Matt Doc. Where can people find you? You know, what are your where? Where can they find that they want to follow? I mean you're making these ridiculous custom surfboards and all this different stuff, Like where can people follow you? See your content, see what you're doing?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Best is on Instagram Hardy f Wood Designs. Just go on there and follow. I got all my works posted on there, all the you know, the team trek, the videos, everything that you need is on that Instagram. Dick.
Speaker 2: I love it, man, If you haven't yet, go check it. Out Team Trek. The podcast Matt Docio on there is a three part series. It is It'll blow your hair back.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: I'm just wanting to tell you this. Put your hard hat on because it's gonna you might it might sting a little bit listening to it, but it's real life. And Matt Bro, I just can't think you know here we are. Last time I saw it was at Brenha Musey's wedding b muse But we've talked several times through the years, and man, it's good to catch up with the old friend. Man. I'm grateful for you coming on and Sharon.
Speaker 1: Bro it's awesome. Thank you so much. Nick's stay in touch.
Speaker 2: That's retired Stargeant first Class Matthew Docio. Thanks for listening to the Reform Sports Project podcast. I'm Nick Bonacort and our goal is to restore a healthy balance and perspective in all areas of sport through education and advocacy. For updates, please follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, or check out our website by searching for the Reform Sports Project